PDA

View Full Version : Name their best match. Number 1: Triple H

Andy
March 13th, 2013, 4:46 PM
I've been sidelining the Wrestlemania thread with this discussion today so I thought I'd start a thread and maybe make it into a series. Should be good for discussion and to go back and watch stuff you may have forgotten about.

For those who haven't read the thread, I basically said I'd rewatched Mania from last year and decided that it is probably my favourite Triple H match ever.

I actually spent a few hours the other night watching the last few Taker matches at Mania and it made me realise just how well Taker, Trips and HBK told the story at 28. There's so much symmetry and nods towards the previous three matches. The show of defiance Trips shows at the end, just as Shawn did at 26. Trips not being able to leave under his own power as Taker wasn't the previous year. The same show of respect we saw at 26. I also loved Shawn not watching the last two moves because he knew exactly what was coming and what the result would be from his own experience.

Then there was the sheer drama of the thing. It brought me to my feet subconsciously on a number of occasions. The brutal series of chair shots, finisher after finisher and the Sweet Chin Music into the Pedigree into the kickout was fucking amazing. It wasn't just sheer emotion though, the actual action was brilliant and the story telling from all three men is one of the best I've ever seen. The final few minutes were just spectacular. Trips realising he can't do it but wanting Taker to finish him off, Shawn cowering in the corner and then unable to watch the final two shots. Epic.

I just thought it was a superb match in every way and I just can't criticise it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeUcD-EsEKQ

There's obviously loads of other honourable mentions. His matches against Taker at 17, against Austin at No Way Out 2000, the Triple Threat at Summerslam 2000, the Triple Threat at Mania 20 and the Last Man Standing Match at Fully Loaded 2000 were all great but for me, HIAC at Mania was the best.

Thoughts?

turdpower
March 13th, 2013, 4:50 PM
Iron Man match against the Rock

Street Fight against Cactus Jack.

He's had a fair few. Hard to pick one.

I'd love to see a video of every pedigree he's hit in 1997 and 1998, I wonder how I do that? :chin:

chatty
March 13th, 2013, 5:04 PM
For me its between the Street Fight with Foley at RR, the Last man Standing with Jericho at Fully Loaded or the tag match with Austin against Jericho and Benoit on Raw. He has a fair few others I really like as well though.

Andy
March 13th, 2013, 5:20 PM
I'll need to go back and watch the tag match, it's probably been ten years since I've seen it.

Forgot to mention the Street Fight against Foley, I think that would be in my top 3.

Chris
March 13th, 2013, 5:33 PM
I think the No Mercy 2000 match with Chris Benoit is an honourable mention. Very underrated in comparison to other matches that spring to mind.

Hero!
March 13th, 2013, 5:33 PM
I'll maintain that Trips/Taker II (Mania 27) was better than their third Mania match.

Could very well be Trips' best match. I'm struggling to think of one better.

chatty
March 13th, 2013, 5:36 PM
Actually 3 stages of hell against Austin is probably my favorite, thinking back.

Anyone else remember him and Taka having a quality match as well - and yes I being serious!!!

Vice
March 13th, 2013, 5:46 PM
vs. Warrior.

Defrost
March 13th, 2013, 6:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TacjUSbmCB8

Andy
March 13th, 2013, 6:16 PM
Just rewatched the tag match. It is indeed a hell of a match.

I'd also forgotten how much Trips did with a torn quadricep. Climbed up on the announce table, took a fucking Walls of Jericho on it, brought a sledgehammer back into the ring and then taken out by Benoit. Mad.

The Law
March 13th, 2013, 6:21 PM
It's really hard to say definitively without rewatching the major candidates, but my gut tells me the Wrestlemania 28 match would be on top. One of the most dramatic matches I've ever seen. Really had the plot of a movie contained within a single wrestling match.

It's been a while since I watched the Austin match from No Way Out. Every time I've seen it I have been blown away though. Great intensity, great action. Austin losing was surprising at the time, but it helps make his heel turn at Wrestlemania make sense. He sold out to Vince because he didn't know if he could beat Rock after the way he lost to HHH.

The match against Michaels at Summerslam 2002 is also a clear contender. I don't think anyone expected that quality of match going in. When Michaels came to the ring in street clothes, I think a lot of people probably assumed this was just going to be a short storyline match. Instead, they tore the house down. HHH's offense was just brutally sadistic. He really pounded on HBK's back.

The Street Fight against Cactus Jack is awesome too. Not much to say about it beyond the fact that it's incredibly entertaining and it really helped establish HHH as a legitimate champion. HHH came out of that match looking like a total bad ass.

Random forgotten HHH gems: vs. Taka in 2000, vs. Batista at Vengeance 2005 in Hell in a Cell (watched it the other day, was surprised by how good it was), vs. Michaels on Raw in December 2003, vs. Big Show New Years Revolution 2006

Matches to avoid: vs. Undertaker at King of the Ring 2002, vs. Hogan at Backlash 2002, vs. Benoit Iron Man Match on Raw, vs. Shawn Michaels Hell in a Cell Bad Blood 2004, vs. Kevin Nash Hell in a Cell Bad Blood 2003, vs. Orton Wrestlemania 25

Atty
March 13th, 2013, 7:11 PM
Had the ending been the exact opposite (Jericho getting up at 9.9 for the hero's win), I'd say the LMS with Jericho. That match is such brilliant storytelling all around and for ages I've felt it would absolutely be five stars had Jericho gotten up instead.

HHH being so obsessed with making Jericho pay for being a dick that he does a move that knocks himself out would have been quite fitting.

mr sabu
March 13th, 2013, 7:25 PM
i liked the hell and the cell match vs foley where micks career was supposed to end

no way out 2000

Psycho666Soldier
March 13th, 2013, 7:25 PM
I'll maintain that Trips/Taker II (Mania 27) was better than their third Mania match.

Could very well be Trips' best match. I'm struggling to think of one better.

I'd be very inclined to agree. I put them on the same level for the simple fact that the finish of WM27 could have been better(though I actually liked it unlike everyone else), and the organization of the WM28 one could have been stronger, whereas the finish was perfect. Though, I might argue that 27 is Triple H's better match on a personal level.

There was one moment that really stuck out for me during their second match. It was the moment following Triple H's Tombstone on Taker. Look at his reaction(Skip to 4:01 ; best video I could find, doesn't quite get the full reaction, but enough):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=5PoNg2oLR5g#t=24 1s

After everything they went through in that match, Triple H goes for Taker's ultimate kill move, and Taker STILL KICKS OUT, prompting Triple H to sell the best fear I have ever seen. Basically saying, "No, no, no, no, he can't die! How...how is he still surviving?!?" I love it.

Andy
March 13th, 2013, 7:35 PM
While the HIAC against Foley was good fun I don't think it was as good as the street fight.

ThE_GrEaT_GaM
March 13th, 2013, 7:40 PM
It's really hard to say definitively without rewatching the major candidates, but my gut tells me the Wrestlemania 28 match would be on top. One of the most dramatic matches I've ever seen. Really had the plot of a movie contained within a single wrestling match.

It's been a while since I watched the Austin match from No Way Out. Every time I've seen it I have been blown away though. Great intensity, great action. Austin losing was surprising at the time, but it helps make his heel turn at Wrestlemania make sense. He sold out to Vince because he didn't know if he could beat Rock after the way he lost to HHH.

The match against Michaels at Summerslam 2002 is also a clear contender. I don't think anyone expected that quality of match going in. When Michaels came to the ring in street clothes, I think a lot of people probably assumed this was just going to be a short storyline match. Instead, they tore the house down. HHH's offense was just brutally sadistic. He really pounded on HBK's back.

The Street Fight against Cactus Jack is awesome too. Not much to say about it beyond the fact that it's incredibly entertaining and it really helped establish HHH as a legitimate champion. HHH came out of that match looking like a total bad ass.

Random forgotten HHH gems: vs. Taka in 2000, vs. Batista at Vengeance 2005 in Hell in a Cell (watched it the other day, was surprised by how good it was), vs. Michaels on Raw in December 2003, vs. Big Show New Years Revolution 2006

Matches to avoid: vs. Undertaker at King of the Ring 2002, vs. Hogan at Backlash 2002, vs. Benoit Iron Man Match on Raw, vs. Shawn Michaels Hell in a Cell Bad Blood 2004, vs. Kevin Nash Hell in a Cell Bad Blood 2003, vs. Orton Wrestlemania 25

I think this post sums up everything for me as well

Completely agree with End Of An Era having the plot of a movie

Anyone remember that sick brawl with Undertaker post judgement day 2002?

Oh and his midcard matches with Rock were pretty good to.

Chris Scott
March 13th, 2013, 7:42 PM
Loved his ladder match with Rock at Summerslam and his last 2 WrestleMania matches with Taker, picking his best I'd go with his WrestleMania 28 match with Undertaker.

Hotbeef-Injection
March 13th, 2013, 9:41 PM
Not a bad resume for a guy who isn't in the top 1000 wrestlers

Tainted Eclipse
March 13th, 2013, 9:47 PM
i liked the mania 27 match when i first saw it. i tried to watch it yesterday but was really bored with the first 5ish minutes or so, may try again later. i thought the wm28 cell match was awful. i cant think of a good answer right now really. i still need to see that 2005 cage match v. flair that got some good reviews.

edit: oh yeah that 2006 big show match. one of the few times i can remember watching a triple h match and thinking "wow, this is a good triple h match." that begs a rewatch.

Kev
March 13th, 2013, 9:54 PM
I hated the majority of their matches, but apart from the Summerslam match in '02, the other one that tends to be forgotten today (unfortunately), was a classic they had on Monday Night Raw at the end of '03

Triple H vs. Shawn Michaels
World Heavyweight Championship Match
RAW December 29, 2003

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdFl05ZLPsM

I'd put that over his matches with Foley easily.

That said, I'm having a tough time saying that there was anything truly more emotionally gripping than the recent Undertaker matches about from the LMS in 2000 at Fully Loaded.

Peter Griffin
March 13th, 2013, 10:05 PM
Not a bad resume for a guy who isn't in the top 1000 wrestlers

Yep, according to some, hes never had a good match. :rofl:

Peter Griffin
March 13th, 2013, 10:08 PM
Oh, not quite in the bracket of best matches of his career perhaps, but I always loved his matches with Owen.

ThE_GrEaT_GaM
March 13th, 2013, 10:09 PM
Has anybody mentioned his Tag matches with Austin against BOD? Those were sadistic as hell

That Damn Undertaker keep's poping up in Triple H's greatest matches

What about when Triple H compared Foley to a turd that refuses to flush down? Oh that wasn't match sorry

Kdestiny
March 14th, 2013, 11:24 AM
I'd say his best is either his street fight with Foley at RR or his unsanctioned match against a returning Shawn Michaels. Always was a fan of that one.

takerson
March 14th, 2013, 12:25 PM
I'm in the camp of those who think he's had too many great matches to pick just one. I'm leaning towards WM27 with Taker as I've NEVER been MORE convinced that the streak was over as I was in that match. That Tombstone on Taker was the ending, I was sure of it. I got SO emotionally invested as that match went along.

The Street Fight with Cactus Jack at Royal Rumble 2000, the 2/3 Falls with Austin at NWO2001, a bunch of his matches with The Rock. SO many.

Cewsh
March 14th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Even if the Wrestlemania 27 match with the Undertaker isn't his best match, (I have 28 rated higher for the story told, but only just,) I do think it's his defining match. It borrows on so many of his previous big matches, from his previous match with Taker, (corner LR,) to the Hell in a Cell with Batista, (sledgehammer near miss,) and really took advantage of the persona he had carefully built for 15 years. It was like a greatest hits album for him.

Jacknife
March 14th, 2013, 12:52 PM
Had Triple H faced Lesnar before their Summerslam match last year?

Mills
March 14th, 2013, 1:01 PM
Nope

Tempest
March 14th, 2013, 1:04 PM
Ending aside, his last man standing match with Jericho is my favourite (I'd say exactly the same about their HIAC match). The Summerslam 02 match with Michaels is by no means his best, but it's one of the few I can watch over and over.

Actual best though, for me it would probably be the street fight with Foley

Peter Griffin
March 14th, 2013, 1:04 PM
One on one no, but i think they had a triple threat match with Rock in Australia in 2002/2003.

chatty
March 14th, 2013, 1:06 PM
I'm in the camp of those who think he's had too many great matches to pick just one. I'm leaning towards WM27 with Taker as I've NEVER been MORE convinced that the streak was over as I was in that match. That Tombstone on Taker was the ending, I was sure of it. I got SO emotionally invested as that match went along.

The Street Fight with Cactus Jack at Royal Rumble 2000, the 2/3 Falls with Austin at NWO2001, a bunch of his matches with The Rock. SO many.

Yeah, he's had a fair few. I'd have to sit and watch them all again to really determine which I felt was best but from memory I'd go something like:

V Steve Austin - 3 Stages of Hell - No Way Out 2001
V Chris Jericho - Last Man Standing - Fully Loaded 2000
V Cactus Jack - Street Fight - Royal Rumble 2000
w/ Steve Austin v Chris Jericho & Chris Benoit - Raw 2001?
V Shawn Michaels - Street Fight - Summerslam 2003
V Undertaker - No Holds Barred - Wrestlemania 27
V Shawn Michaels - 3 Stages of Hell - Armageddon 2002
V The Rock - Iron Man - Judgement Day 2000
V Undertaker - Wrestlemania X7
V Chris Jericho - Hell In A Cell - Judgement Day 2002
V Undertaker - Hell In A Cell - Wrestlemania 28
V Mick Foley - Hell In A Cell - No Way Out 1999?
V The Rock - Ladder Match - Summerslam 98?
V Chris Benoit v Shawn Michaels - Wrestlemania 21
V Shawn Michaels - Last Man Standing - Royal Rumble 2004
V Shawn Michaels v Chris Benoit - Backlash 2003

chatty
March 14th, 2013, 1:07 PM
I remember enjoying a match with Jeff hardy in his second stint (or whatever it was - his last one) and the last man standing with Orton was OK too

Tempest
March 14th, 2013, 1:09 PM
I hate the three stages of hell with Austin. I don't know what it is, but it's just never sat well with me. It is probably because it feels like the same match three times over

chatty
March 14th, 2013, 1:11 PM
I just remember thinking it was amazing at the time, don't think I've watched it for years though.

Badger
March 14th, 2013, 1:21 PM
Hogpen match with Henry Godwinn. :p

Seriously though, loved his street fight with Foley, LMS with Jericho and the latter two Mania matches with Taker.

Also he had a damned good one with Taka Michinoku on RAW once where he really made Taka look strong.

Worst matches for me are vs Taker at KOTR 2002 and HBK Badd Blood 2004. METHODICAL!

Rip
March 14th, 2013, 1:48 PM
I know it's not the 'cool' opinion but I've always been a fan, when he was HBKs side-kick he always looked like he was destined for better and he rises to the occasion better than anyone when called for, I struggle to remember a match of his (given a real build) that I haven't enjoyed, he tells a good story as either heel or face, puts himself on the line and is willing to hurt for the sake of a good match and has a genuine quality about him which is often lacking, plus you get the feeling he cares about what he's doing which is always a bonus.

That aside his best matches, for me, are against people on his level, HBK/Taker are the obvious ones, he excells in the big brutal matches, the Last Man Standings, the Brawls, the more violent and dangerous the better he seems to be, the wars really pull him up to the top of his game and allow him to really sell the effects of a match which for me is one of his skill, watch him in the Taker matches his expressions and mannerisms are outstanding.

Tainted Eclipse
March 14th, 2013, 1:54 PM
honestly, thinking about this really drove home for me how limited a wrestler triple h is. i struggle to think of non-gimmicked matches that are exceptionally good. not even great, just appreciably above average. frankly a lot of his much vaulted gimmick matches i didn't enjoy the last time i saw them. i remember feeling the foley street fight just felt too choreographed and was a bit boring to be honest. but that was some time ago now.

the cell match vs. batista stands out as something i thought was quite good at the time. i've still never seen the wm match vs. cena.

WizoOzz
March 14th, 2013, 1:56 PM
I have never been high on Triple H.

That being said, I loved the Street Fight with Foley that has been mentioned numerous times already, the match against Taker at WM27 which was better than last year's HIAC (imo), and the three way at WMXX with Shawn Michaels and he-who-shall-not-be-named.

And the bad thing is, I like those matches due to his opponents rather than Trips.

I give him his props for doing his best to carry the company at a time when a lot of top guys were either out or on their way out. But Trips hasn't really ever clicked with me.

Jacknife
March 14th, 2013, 2:05 PM
I really enjoyed his match with Lesnar last year, but I've only seen it once. I don't tend to watch matches more than once. Only ones I watch more than once are the Royal Rumbles or Survivor Series elimination matches.

The Law
March 14th, 2013, 3:04 PM
It does seem like he hasn't had a ton of great non-gimmick matches, but I also feel like that's because he tended to always wrestle in gimmick matches. Think of many Hell in a Cell, Last Man Standing, Street Fights, and Cage Matches he's had.

-vs. Dude Love, One Night Only 1997 (Definitely a forgotten gem)
-vs. Benoit, No Mercy 2000 and Vengeance 2004
-vs. Michaels, Raw in December 2003
-vs. Cena, Wrestlemania 22 (Mostly for the atmosphere. The actual action isn't great)
-w/Austin vs. Benoit and Jericho (Raw May 2001)
-vs. Undertaker at Wrestlemania 17 (Sort of. The referee was knocked out for like ten minutes so it was basically no holds barred)
-w/Michaels vs. Legacy (Summerslam 2009)

I'm going to have to re-watch the Cena match from Night of Champions 2009. Can't remember if it's good or not. Also the Angle match from Unforgiven 2000. Overall, he's had some excellent matches that weren't gimmick matches, but I think his strength as a worker is best displayed in matches where they can brawl and use weapons.

Cewsh
March 14th, 2013, 3:07 PM
Yeah, brawlers specialize in gimmick matches, and he's always set out to be Ric Flair by way of Harley Race.

Andy
March 14th, 2013, 3:27 PM
Regarding the amount of gimmick matches in these lists - I think that's symptomatic of the era he came through in. During the Attitude Era you'd very rarely have a feud settled with a standard wrestling match and it was equally rare that any normal wrestling match would end without a screwy finish because they often used the screwy finish to set up a gimmick pay off match. Thinking back I really can't think of a feud that ended with a normal match in that era. Maybe Angle vs Rock at No Way Out 2001?

Also, because of that all of his feuds after that era have ended with these matches because he's the guy known for them. He had some great Street Fights, HIACs, I Quits etc which made them the go to gimmick to end a big feud. I don't think it says anything negative about him as a technical wrestler (though obviously he's not up there with the best of them).

Tainted Eclipse
March 14th, 2013, 3:57 PM
the 2005 cage match with flair is really good, people should watch it if they haven't. probably my pick for best triple h match now.

Ringo
March 14th, 2013, 4:07 PM
Flair Cage match may be my favourite too.

Do love the second Taker match though. Those two have held up so well on repeated viewings.

Other matches that I was very high on at the time like the Cactus street fight and cell, the Austin 3 stages, first Shawn match, vs. Rocky, vs. Benoit etc. have all gone down in my estimation at one point or another. The Flair Cage and last two Taker matches are the first three I would put forward as Triple H "classics".

Brian M.
March 14th, 2013, 6:23 PM
WM 27 VS Taker is my all time favorite Triple H match. Never before have I been so emotionally invested in a match that I didn't care much about going in. They really gripped me into the story about halfway into that match and never let go. He's had matches with more non stop action and perhaps crisper brawling and wrestling, but nothing is more emotional than that. The HIAC match the next year was obviously very good as well, but I couldn't help but feel as though I'd seen it all before, outside of a cage. Michaels added a new dynamic but that was about it.

The match VS Big Show that Tainted mentioned earlier is probably in my top 5 of his matches and no one ever really mentions it. I think it was New Year's Revolution 2006 maybe? REALLY great match. That is one of my favorite periods of his career, 2005-06. He just really seemed to be working his ass off, he was in good shape and even though he made not have had matches that people remember as classic, he was consistently good week in and week out. Honestly I feel like if we wiped out 2002-2004 all together, we'd look at his career a lot more fondly. There are a lot of stinkers in that era, but before and after are damned good.

Cewsh
March 14th, 2013, 6:37 PM
And in fairness, 2002-2004 had a whole lot of him trying to carry guys like Kevin Nash, Scott Steiner, Kane and Goldberg to watchable title matches.

Also, I fucking love the Michaels HIAC match and I DON'T CARE

Peter Griffin
March 14th, 2013, 6:39 PM
Forgot about the Michaels HIAC, fucking epic match.

turdpower
March 14th, 2013, 6:50 PM
And in fairness, 2002-2004 had a whole lot of him trying to carry guys like Kevin Nash, Scott Steiner, Kane and Goldberg to watchable title matches.

But as a fucking massive Triple H fan, you'd think someone who was a 100 time World Champion would have some memorable standard 1 on 1 matches, just title matches at least.

Ringo
March 14th, 2013, 6:55 PM
epically SHIT.

Actually some good stuff in there to be fair. 20 minutes of a pretty damn good match I remember thinking. With a load of excess fat.

The Big Show match is one of the best Trips performances. Smart match when both Show and Trips were looking really motivated going into Mania season.

Cewsh
March 14th, 2013, 6:58 PM
But as a fucking massive Triple H fan, you'd think someone who was a 100 time World Champion would have some memorable standard 1 on 1 matches, just title matches at least.

Well off the top of my head, he had plenty of non gimmick good-great title matches.

vs. Booker T, Wrestlemania 19 (the delayed finish hurt it, but it was a really good match)
vs. Chris Jericho, Wrestlemania 18 (Hogan/Rock killed the crowd, but the match is seriously underrated)
vs. Randy Orton, Royal Rumble 05
vs. Chris Benoit, Vengeance 04
vs. John Cena, Wrestlemania 22
vs. Jeff Hardy, Armageddon 07 (not a title match but I just remembered how good it was, as was their whole feud over the title on Smackdown)

And plenty of others. People are just so down on that whole period of WWE that they don't see it.

Tainted Eclipse
March 14th, 2013, 7:03 PM

Goldberg had good matches in 2003. At the very least with Henry, Jericho and Rock, the latter two being very good, especially the Rock match. And I don't their either were blatant carry jobs. A guy like Goldberg can have perfectly fine matches with good opponents.

I get that Triple H came up during the Attitude Era where there wasn't much emphasis on good ring performance, and I get that he was involved in a lot of high profile feuds where basically all the major matches were gimmick matches. But from 2002-2010 or so, I think every wrestler in WWE who was a very good worker had plenty of chances on TV to show it. Cena, for example, has a ton of great, regular TV matches littered through the years where he puts on very impressive performances. Triple H doesn't. Maybe it's a function of the booking, but with how much a prominent role Trips played in WWE TV during the middle of the 2000s I'm not sure I buy it.

I watched the 2006 Big Show match last night, quite disappointed really. It was a great concept, Show's selling was brilliant, Trips was pretty good, but a lot of the work I thought was lacking. Still at least 'good' though.

Ringo
March 14th, 2013, 7:05 PM
You reminded me - Trips/Jeff at No Mercy 2008 is a fantastic match! I remember referring to it as perhaps his best ever regular singles match. He was excellent that night.

chatty
March 14th, 2013, 7:05 PM
Well off the top of my head, he had plenty of non gimmick good-great title matches.

vs. Booker T, Wrestlemania 19 (the delayed finish hurt it, but it was a really good match)
vs. Chris Jericho, Wrestlemania 18 (Hogan/Rock killed the crowd, but the match is seriously underrated)
vs. Randy Orton, Royal Rumble 05
vs. Chris Benoit, Vengeance 04
vs. John Cena, Wrestlemania 22
vs. Jeff Hardy, Armageddon 07 (not a title match but I just remembered how good it was, as was their whole feud over the title on Smackdown)

And plenty of others. People are just so down on that whole period of WWE that they don't see it.

Thats the hardy match i was talking about, real quality match. I think there was one with punk in that period that was pretty darn good as well.

i cant think of the show match. Gonna have to go find it and check it out.

Ringo
March 14th, 2013, 7:09 PM
I don't know man. Goldberg was generally pretty iffy in 2003. By the time the Trips feud came around I'm not sure he really gave a shit. The Henry match is really short, the Rock match was his debut and Jericho is Jericho! He probably felt he had something to prove then. I wouldn't really fault Trips for not working a good match with 2003 Goldberg. I think it would have been relatively hard work, much like the Nash and Steiner matches.

Cewsh
March 14th, 2013, 7:16 PM
Plus, he had a groin injury through the whole feud. Hence his wacky shorts getup.

Also he rarely even had tv matches during the title reign era.

Tainted Eclipse
March 14th, 2013, 7:30 PM
I don't know man. Goldberg was generally pretty iffy in 2003. By the time the Trips feud came around I'm not sure he really gave a shit. The Henry match is really short, the Rock match was his debut and Jericho is Jericho! He probably felt he had something to prove then. I wouldn't really fault Trips for not working a good match with 2003 Goldberg. I think it would have been relatively hard work, much like the Nash and Steiner matches.

fair enough, im no expert on 2003 goldberg, just know he had at least 3 matches i liked and thought he himself looked very good in. for what its worth i thought he was better in the jericho match than jericho.

jericho might be an interesting choice for this. there might be something obvious im overlooking but i dont see any clear answer.

Brian M.
March 14th, 2013, 7:34 PM
Feel like all of his matches with Michaels and the ladder match with Benoit stand out above anything else Jericho has done. It would be tough to pick from the Michaels matches though. Almost all of them are fantastic.

Fanny Batter
March 14th, 2013, 7:46 PM
Rock No Mercy is up there for Jericho.

Triple H had a lot of good matches. Not many on TV as Tainted Eclipse has stated, but I feel a good chunk of his PPV matches range from watchable to really fucking good. He was shit in 2003 obviously but seemed to find form again after that groin injury had him lose all that ridiculous muscle mass. The Hardy match at No Mercy I feel is his best match without bells and whistles, his role in that was superb. They had really good chemistry for their babyface matches. For matches with your blood and storylines, H is your man. I feel a lot of his big matches are helped with the blood, it's his ace card because he was a hell of a bleeder.

eddymac
March 15th, 2013, 1:08 AM
His best match imo was against in the hell in a cell.

couple of forgotten gems

HHH vs Rkishi from Smackdown some time in early 2000, I think they had a lottery and HHH drew Rikishi.

HHH vs Big Show from Monday Night Raw early 2006

HHH vs Ric Flair 2002

HHH vs X Pac 1998 X Pac's first match since returning to the WWE

HHH vs Shawn Michaels Monday Night Raw April 96

HHH vs Stone Cold Steve Austin IYH Buried Alive 96

takerson
March 15th, 2013, 1:46 AM
You reminded me - Trips/Jeff at No Mercy 2008 is a fantastic match! I remember referring to it as perhaps his best ever regular singles match. He was excellent that night.

YES.

McBain
March 15th, 2013, 2:16 AM
Nice thread, Andy. :yes:

I'm sure this one has some way to run, but I'm wondering how we're going to decide the next focus?

kangus
March 15th, 2013, 3:17 AM
Someone will probably make a thread with another wrestler and then other people will respond.

McBain
March 15th, 2013, 3:18 AM
Sorted.

kangus
March 15th, 2013, 3:28 AM
Hey I'm an answers man. Any other questions?

McBain
March 15th, 2013, 3:30 AM
Nah.

OD50
March 15th, 2013, 7:46 AM
My favorite Trips matches would be..

Iron Man vs. The Rock (Judgment Day 2000?)
Vs. The Rock - one-on-one WWF title match at Backlash 2000
Last Man standing vs. Chris Jericho (some former IYH show in 2000)

And for some peculiar reason I have always been fond of the Hog Pen match vs. Henry O. Godwinn at that random 1995 IYH show. I'm guessing it was the one from Hershey with Bret Hart/Bulldog II in the main event, not sure though.

ReDPath
March 15th, 2013, 1:47 PM
Pretty much as Bret Hart said.

He never really had a 5 star match.

Had Hart stayed, and they had gotten a main event caliber match outta him and HHH. Its very likely that Hart could have carried HHH to a 5 star match, furthermore legitimizing him.

Hell at 123 years old, and a stroke victim. Hart could probably still get a 5 star match out of him with various rest holds, and technicalities alone.

He's had good matches though.

Jericho at WM18, even though the crowd was dead from Hogan/Rock. It was probably a 4 star match.

Cewsh
March 15th, 2013, 1:52 PM
Wait, what?

Peter Griffin
March 15th, 2013, 1:55 PM
What Hart said were the nonsensical ramblings of a bitter old cunt.

Peter Griffin
March 15th, 2013, 1:56 PM
I mean last years match against Taker not even 4/10, yeh, fuck off to the retirement home Bret.

McBain
March 15th, 2013, 3:11 PM
I think Redpath may have previously experienced an aneurysm of some kind.

Andy
March 15th, 2013, 3:41 PM
Nice thread, Andy. :yes:

I'm sure this one has some way to run, but I'm wondering how we're going to decide the next focus?

I'll let this one run for a few more days then decide on the next one. :yes:

Peter Griffin
March 15th, 2013, 3:45 PM
Cena could be a interesting choice, i know a lot dont like him, but hes had some damn good matches, im sure you have your own ideas though :D

JP
March 15th, 2013, 3:49 PM
Just a few matches I don't think I've seen mentioned yet;

vs. Shelton Benjamin
vs. Mankind Summer Slam 97 - Cage Match

Cewsh
March 15th, 2013, 3:51 PM
The Benjamin one is a great shout. I forgot all about that, but Triple H made him look like a fucking superstar in that match. People still think Benjamin could main event because of it.

Andy
March 15th, 2013, 3:51 PM
I've actually got loads in mind. Don't want to rush into them though cos letting this thread flow has reminded me of some really good matches.

Where's the best place to locate some of these matches? :shifty:

Psycho666Soldier
March 15th, 2013, 3:56 PM
I think Redpath may have previously experienced an aneurysm of some kind.

Actually, ever since I responded to one of his obviously bad ideas, I've realized he's actually one of the best trolls in the W-Forums.

Tainted Eclipse
March 15th, 2013, 4:30 PM
I've actually got loads in mind. Don't want to rush into them though cos letting this thread flow has reminded me of some really good matches.

Where's the best place to locate some of these matches? :shifty:

dailymotion still seems to have everything.

The Law
March 15th, 2013, 5:28 PM
Just rewatched the Shelton match. That was an absolute clinic. Great work by both guys. I really enjoyed Shelton's combination of amateur stuff and high-flying moves. He showed a lot of personality in the ring too, patting HHH on the cheek, giving him the "this close" gesture. I loved Benoit coming out to cheer on Shelton and fend off Flair. Really well-structured match: they start off even with Shelton getting a slight advantage because he's a superior mat wrestler. Then they do a long heat segment where HHH grinds him down. Then Shelton gets the momentum back and they do a series of really good near falls: the Powerslam, the flying clothesline, the Pedigree reversal into a double-leg takedown and then a jackknife cover. Crowd was just begging for Shelton to get him by the end.

If I remember correctly, as they were going to commercial before the entrances they showed Shelton walking to the ring and passing Foley, Benoit, and a couple other guys who all gave him advice/encouragement. That was a nice little touch.

Shelton/HHH is pretty awesome. I'd personally rate it at about ****. One of the best Raw matches ever.

Peter Griffin
March 15th, 2013, 5:31 PM
Going slightly off topic, i remember seeing a Shelton vs HBK match from Raw a few years ago that i loved, might be worth remembering for the eventual HBK list :chin:

Cewsh
March 15th, 2013, 5:35 PM
Yep, the Gold Rush match.

Atty
March 15th, 2013, 6:43 PM
People remember Shelton's match with Shawn because of the KICK OF DEATH, but the HHH match was better, I felt.

Peter Griffin
March 15th, 2013, 6:57 PM
I remember it because i thought it was a bloody good match, I haven't seen the Triple H match though, so I cant comment on which is better.

chatty
March 15th, 2013, 7:21 PM
Is the Shelton one the match after he was drafted over to Raw (or possible from Raw) - didn't he have like three matches i n a row with HHH and then just disappear back to the mid-card

Chris
March 15th, 2013, 8:41 PM
Here's the match against Shelton:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1suHora7TcI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5mZHhVVPrU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwjM-LXBFQ0

Some other TV matches:

vs Chris Jericho, Raw April 2000

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0Su_XnbpDM

vs Jeff Hardy, Smackdown April 2001

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpGh3F8PlVs

Badger
March 16th, 2013, 10:27 AM
Here's that Taka match I mentioned earlier:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I-iUL2IBn4

Tainted Eclipse
March 16th, 2013, 10:30 AM
totally forgot about that shelton match, its really good. i remember watching it when it aired and loving, i lost my shit when shelton did that spinning heel kick. very well worked, and highly structured in a good way -- the match itself is a well executed angle.

Cewsh
March 16th, 2013, 11:37 AM
God damn Triple H was puffy. And awesome.

Mills
March 16th, 2013, 11:39 AM
Haven't seen a lot of love for his steel cage match vs Mankind at summerslam. That was a fantastic match that showed their chemistry off

Peter Griffin
March 16th, 2013, 11:46 AM
Thats one match ive never got round to watching :nono:

Surprised no one agreed with my suggestion of his matches with Owen, personally i thought they had great chemistry, there matches at WM14 and Unforgiven i thought were good-great.

Mills
March 16th, 2013, 12:42 PM
I enjoyed the wrestlemania 14 match, may have to see the Unforgiven match.

Spoonman
March 17th, 2013, 12:27 AM
I loved the Ironman match Trips had with The Rock at Judgment Day 2000. It was the match where The Undertaker inferfered and made his debut as the "American Bad Ass". I always felt that Triple H and The Rock had great chemistry together but that match was when both were at their absolute primes. Probably one of Rock's best matches too. Underated in my opinion.

DeepMo
March 17th, 2013, 2:47 PM
Anyone know where I can see the Jericho match from Raw 2000, when they wrestled twice.

Andy
March 17th, 2013, 2:52 PM
Just watched the Shelton and Taka matches. The Shelton one was a really good fun match, the Taka one to me was a pretty standard Attitude Era shenanigan filled match. Good but nothing special. Wouldn't have either anywhere near a top 10 Trips matches list.

turdpower
March 17th, 2013, 3:07 PM
Here's that Taka match I mentioned earlier:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I-iUL2IBn4

What's the set up story here?

Mills
March 17th, 2013, 6:50 PM
HHH could pick anyone on the roster to defend the WWE title against, and chose TAKA. Kai En Tai countered by hiring the APA to make sure that Shane and no one else interfered. shit was on already between the ref and HHH over the year. Just a great showing by HHH with an undercard worker that works well as a face. porbably one of my favorite "underrated" matches of all time.

Oh and after watching it for the first time in years, Bossman and Buchanan were McMahons security, which is why they jumped the APA/

Mark Hammer
March 20th, 2013, 12:58 PM
The tag match between Austin and Triple H vs Jericho and Benoit may very well be my favorite match involving any of those four.

Jason_HBK
March 21st, 2013, 9:00 PM
This is a great idea. gonna be an awesome series of threads. I didn't think it would be this hard to pick a best HHH match but there are a bunch that could easily be #1. Gonna have to re-watch some of these matches before I can pick 1.

Bluegunn
March 22nd, 2013, 2:01 AM
I think my favorite of his was his match in WCW against Alex Wright.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDsID8GSPvE

Jason_HBK
April 4th, 2013, 6:45 PM
Took awhile but I finally settled on: vs HBK - RAW 2003. What an awesome match and that crowd was HOT! Damn they wanted to see HBK win. Amazing swerve at the end, totally forgot about that. I watched a bunch of his other top matches and they were def worthy of #1 but this match had everything. And it was so great to see nearfalls that didn't require both guys to kick out of finishers 50 times. Hon mention: Forgot how good the TAKA match was.

Cewsh
April 4th, 2013, 6:47 PM
I went back and watched it a few nights ago, and you're right. That 2003 match with Michaels is fantastic. Here it is for those who haven't seen it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdFl05ZLPsM