PDA

View Full Version : Old Moves You Wish You Still Saw

_me
March 11th, 2013, 11:21 PM
I was watching some old matches recently and was seeing a bunch of old moves that we hardly ever see anymore. Most have disappeared for good reasons. We all remember Yoko's match-killing nerve holds and all the reverse chin-locks. The classic atomic drop / reverse atomic drop (where they would never even make contact).

But there were some good ones that I wish superstars still used. First was an old Earthquake move. His powerslam where he would carry him around the ring, then reset his arm and then plant him in the center. Always looked great. Similar move was Bulldog's running powerslam. Either would work well with a Ryback or monster heel.

Next, was another Quake move was his finishing 'Quake'. Similar to Yoko's Bonzai drop. Basically any move where a large fat man drops his weight on someone's chest. Always looks effective.

A non-finishing favorite was Bret's backbreaker-then-elbow-from-the-turnbuckle combo.

Do you guys have any old favorite moves that you wish would return?

maxxmisery
March 11th, 2013, 11:27 PM
I miss the piledriver, even though it's considered a bit dangerous.

When executed correctly, it can be a thing of beauty

_me
March 12th, 2013, 2:26 AM
I forgot to add a good power bomb. The sit-out is probably my favorite but any one where they are driven with some force look good.

Bluegunn
March 12th, 2013, 2:59 AM
Vertibreaker was one of my favorites

QuoteTheRaven
March 12th, 2013, 3:16 AM
Piledriver, though I understand why they don't use it much anymore.

I thought Stratusfaction was an awesome women's move

Andy
March 12th, 2013, 5:43 AM
Russian leg sweep was always a good looking move they you don't see too often these days. A good German or belly to belly suplex would be good to see once in a while. Does anyone do a good frog splash these days? Another good visual.

Judas Iscariot
March 12th, 2013, 6:02 AM
Brainbuster.

The fantastic suplex variations.

The piledriver goes without saying (thanks Punk and Cena).

The powerbomb as a finisher.

Fuck, the torture rack.

I'd like a proper British Bulldog powerslam.

TREE OF WOE.

Shooting star press.

A properly executed Sharpshooter or Figure Four or Crossface Chicken Wing.

Basically any of the moves I saw as a youth as opposed to the punch punch punch punch shit that goes on these days.

kangus
March 12th, 2013, 6:26 AM
What about 5 minute long bear hugs? Those were a staple in 80's-early 90's wrestling.

mr sabu
March 12th, 2013, 6:54 AM
15 min headlock

chatty
March 12th, 2013, 9:26 AM
15 min headlock

Would be perfect for the Rock in his upcoming match.

OD50
March 12th, 2013, 12:07 PM
I haven't watched much as of late.. Where and when did this CM Punk/John Cena Piledriver happen?

As for moves I miss; Koko B. Ware style Brainbuster.

Peter Griffin
March 12th, 2013, 12:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4OTB2BzsAM

Rip
March 12th, 2013, 12:50 PM
Jackhammer, looked awsome and I could see Ryback doing it (obviously... :shifty:)

I'd agree with a well performed Power Bomb, my favourite would be the Jack-knife version, or on a similar note the Razors Edge.

Oh and good Suplexs, really snappy tight looking ones (Regal/Tazz)

Kneeneighbor
March 12th, 2013, 1:10 PM
Someone needs to break out the sleeper as a finisher.

QuoteTheRaven
March 12th, 2013, 1:25 PM
Wasn't the sleeper one of Ziggler's finishers? For at least a while it was, I think

Kneeneighbor
March 12th, 2013, 4:39 PM
He used it but like you said one of... it wasnt his primary finishing move like the Million Dollar Dream!

Kdestiny
March 12th, 2013, 4:58 PM
Jackhammer, looked awsome and I could see Ryback doing it (obviously... :shifty:)

I'd agree with a well performed Power Bomb, my favourite would be the Jack-knife version, or on a similar note the Razors Edge.

Oh and good Suplexs, really snappy tight looking ones (Regal/Tazz)

Love the Jackknife Powerbomb.

I still say that Owen has the best snap Suplex I've ever seen

_me
March 12th, 2013, 5:35 PM

IDK. He who shalln't be spoken of always had a great snap suplex too. also his rolling german suplexes. I think that is what they are called. keep holding the waist and do 3 or 4 in a row. remember the steiner brothers and all there different suplexes too? We definitely need a new "Suplex Master" who can bust out like 5 different style suplexes.

DaSaintFan
March 12th, 2013, 5:40 PM
I'll still say ... Tully's SlingShot Suplex... it was a thing of beauty.

Peter Griffin
March 12th, 2013, 5:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDBctT036lo

Cewsh
March 12th, 2013, 5:46 PM
Funny you should say that, Pete.

http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu132/CewshReviews/NJPW/Wrestle%20Kingdom/Wrestle%20Kingdom%20VII/ijYJCjlZcS3jj.gif

That's from the Wrestle Kingdom review.

Peter Griffin
March 12th, 2013, 5:51 PM
Haha i must be psychic

_me
March 12th, 2013, 5:54 PM
I saw Tully's name and immediately thought of the Brain Busters and their Spike Piledriver. Great stuff. For being a relatively small guy Double A could pack a punch. I can't believe a forgot the 'Arn Anderson Spinebuster' in my first post too. I guess you still see it sometimes but that should be in someones arsenal full time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-RcSahbrjE

turdpower
March 12th, 2013, 6:26 PM
Funny you should say that, Pete.

http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu132/CewshReviews/NJPW/Wrestle%20Kingdom/Wrestle%20Kingdom%20VII/ijYJCjlZcS3jj.gif

That's from the Wrestle Kingdom review.

I'm sure I'll see that video on botchamania. That was horrific.

Cewsh
March 12th, 2013, 6:28 PM
How so? He landed on his side instead of his stomach, but aside from that, it's exactly what it's supposed to be.

Edit: Actually, I just noticed that it looks like their heads clang into each other when they land. Ouch.

JRSlim21
March 12th, 2013, 9:06 PM
I wanna see someone do the Cradle Piledriver, but of course people are just gonna assume they're biting off Cesaro (sadly).

How long do you think it's possible before we see someone pull off a Stunner again?

Mills
March 12th, 2013, 10:44 PM
Santino did it last year

McBain
March 12th, 2013, 11:06 PM
Russian leg sweep was always a good looking move they you don't see too often these days.

I think the only peeps I've seen doing it of late were Damien Sandow and The Rock.

Gotta agree on badass suplexes. I heard Orton did an exploder recently? Awesome.

Mark Hammer
March 12th, 2013, 11:17 PM

IDK. He who shalln't be spoken of always had a great snap suplex too. also his rolling german suplexes. I think that is what they are called. keep holding the waist and do 3 or 4 in a row. remember the steiner brothers and all there different suplexes too? We definitely need a new "Suplex Master" who can bust out like 5 different style suplexes.

I could be mistaken here but isn't the snap suplex highly dependent on the guy on the receiving end? Benoit did have one hell of a snap suplex but I imagine if he tried performing it on some plodding oaf it wouldn't come off quite as "crisp" as it did whenever he performed one on a fellow workhorse.

Cewsh
March 12th, 2013, 11:25 PM
For the most part it's pretty much the same as taking a regular suplex, you just do a front flip instead of a neck stand in the guy's arms. It was Benoit's timing and cadence that made it look so good.

Mark Hammer
March 12th, 2013, 11:52 PM
Good to know, thanks. :yes:

ThE_GrEaT_GaM
March 13th, 2013, 12:01 AM
Taker's Dragon Sleeper from the Big Evil days complete with the loud grunt he used to make when applying it.

Has anybody ever used the "Octopus" submission? Shit look's deadly. Would be my finishing move if I were a wrestler.

Kdestiny
March 13th, 2013, 12:03 AM
I love the Dragon Sleeper. I remember seeing Ultimo Dragon use it live and see how painful it could be, but it can't be that dangerous

ThE_GrEaT_GaM
March 13th, 2013, 12:13 AM
, but it can't be that dangerous

you sure? Imagine yourself facing up in a bridge position while sum fucker put's the torque around your neck...and screams with no sign of regret.

Kdestiny
March 13th, 2013, 12:21 AM
Not along the lines of a pile driver or vertebreaker that could hurt if done incorrectly. No wrestler is going to do that because safety is kind of a big thing.

plus I feel most of the guys on the roster have been in that position for a reverse DDT.

McBain
March 13th, 2013, 12:24 AM
Has anybody ever used the "Octopus" submission? Shit look's deadly. Would be my finishing move if I were a wrestler.

I swear I've seen it in an ROH match - may have even been Bryan or Punk.

McBain
March 13th, 2013, 12:26 AM
you sure? Imagine yourself facing up in a bridge position while sum fucker put's the torque around your neck...and screams with no sign of regret.

I'd be very surprised if it's not being used for safety reasons.

It may be fairly uncomfortable, but so are a lot of submission moves - surfboard for example.

Kdestiny
March 13th, 2013, 12:29 AM
I wish Sheamus would've kept the Cloverleaf. That might be my favorite submission

McBain
March 13th, 2013, 12:38 AM
I wish Sheamus would've kept the Cloverleaf. That might be my favorite submission

Yeah, same. I would be surprised if he doesn't bring it back against another guy with a submission move. He debuted it against Bryan, remember.

ThE_GrEaT_GaM
March 13th, 2013, 12:44 AM
Not along the lines of a pile driver or vertebreaker that could hurt if done incorrectly. No wrestler is going to do that because safety is kind of a big thing.

plus I feel most of the guys on the roster have been in that position for a reverse DDT.

yeah but the point is not to botch your move but rather make it look dangerous and the DS put's the squeeze on you with far more leverage and force than a regular sleeper. And you know what sleeper holds are meant to do, cut the blood flow to your brain. DS is fucking lethal.

Reverse DDT is pretty damn sick as well and if it goes wrong services may very well be in order for you.

McBain
March 13th, 2013, 12:49 AM
yeah but the point is not to botch your move but rather make it look dangerous and the DS put's the squeeze on you with far more leverage and force than a regular sleeper. And you know what sleeper holds are meant to do, cut the blood flow to your brain. DS is fucking lethal.

Reverse DDT is pretty damn sick as well and if it goes wrong services may very well be in order for you.

Dragon Sleeper is essentially the same as Low Ki's Koji Clutch isn't it? Just the other way around. AJ Styles' deathlock bridge has its similarities too, both craning back hard on the neck.

I dunno what you're smoking when it comes to the Reverse DDT - never looks particularly dangerous to me.

ThE_GrEaT_GaM
March 13th, 2013, 12:54 AM
I dunno what you're smoking when it comes to the Reverse DDT - never looks particularly dangerous to me.

If a guy wraps your neck hard and you fall back with both your throat and the back of the neck pressed you'll cough your damn blood mate.

McBain
March 13th, 2013, 1:03 AM
If a guy wraps your neck hard and you fall back with both your throat and the back of the neck pressed you'll cough your damn blood mate.

They don't wrap the neck hard though do they.

Mills
March 13th, 2013, 1:31 AM
Dragon Sleeper is essentially the same as Low Ki's Koji Clutch isn't it? Just the other way around. AJ Styles' deathlock bridge has its similarities too, both craning back hard on the
neck.

Are you talking dragon clutch for Lo Ki? Its like that but Ki does his from a camel clutch while a dragon sleeper is either from standing position or from a kneeling position

McBain
March 13th, 2013, 1:33 AM
Yep.

Remembered the name wrong though. :yes:

Cewsh
March 13th, 2013, 2:30 AM
This is the Koji Clutch:

http://www.themachomanartpage.info/Koji%20Clutch%2001.gif

McBain
March 13th, 2013, 3:22 AM
Yeah, sick move!

OD50
March 13th, 2013, 4:24 AM
I'd say Benoit's inspiration Dynamite Kid had the best snap suplex I've ever seen. I prefer Benoit's diving headbut to Dynamite's though.

Pretty much every move in Benoit's arsenal was nicked from Dynamite actually.

Peter Griffin
March 13th, 2013, 7:38 AM
This is the Koji Clutch:

http://www.themachomanartpage.info/Koji%20Clutch%2001.gif

Im sure i saw this used recently in WWE, or a variant, but for the life of me i cant think where.

mr sabu
March 13th, 2013, 8:20 AM
punk used it on cena

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKSzr6iaLIE

Peter Griffin
March 13th, 2013, 8:23 AM
Yep thats the one :cheers:

McBain
March 13th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Is Joe the only guy to use it otherwise, or might Punk have borrowed it from elsewhere?

I remember that now - I even think that's what I may be getting confused with when thinking about uses of the octopus.

Cewsh
March 13th, 2013, 10:50 AM
I assume he got it from Christopher Daniels.

mr sabu
March 13th, 2013, 11:16 AM
Stevie Richards used it in the new ecw

Andy
March 13th, 2013, 11:34 AM
Yeah the cloverleaf is a great submission.

This is a bit random but I always remember Bubba Ray Dudley having some impressive looking moves. His sit down powerbomb off the ropes was actually pretty brutal when you think Batista used a standing version as his finisher for years. He did a full nelson arse buster thing that always looked good too.

Mills
March 13th, 2013, 11:52 AM
I like the bubba bomb, just not as a finisher.

Hero!
March 13th, 2013, 1:03 PM
Yeah, same. I would be surprised if he doesn't bring it back against another guy with a submission move. He debuted it against Bryan, remember.

what I like about sheamus is that he's got 4 different finishers, if he ever remembers to use the Celtic cross/pale justice/whatever it's called. The cloverleaf can be busted out on occasion without him relying on it as his sole finisher.

ThE_GrEaT_GaM
March 13th, 2013, 3:53 PM
They don't wrap the neck hard though do they.

Exactly so what if they do it wrong? Anyway I guess I'm coming from the basis of a Dragon Sleeper hooked around the neck.

When you step through those ropes, bad things do happen......

Kdestiny
March 13th, 2013, 4:00 PM
You do realize that these guys don't actually intend to hurt each other? Wrestling isn't real, yes?

turdpower
March 13th, 2013, 4:10 PM
Fisherman suplex.

German suplex pin.

PINNING SUPLEXES.

turdpower
March 13th, 2013, 4:12 PM
Double/triple Powerbombs.

Ryback did this once didn't he? Shame he didn't carry it on, his weird marching finisher is not as good.

chatty
March 13th, 2013, 4:21 PM
I remember watching this on a japanese wrestling show when we had the wrestling channel. Seems like a variation of the Octopus subbmission: The Spider Twist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0Yr6p0GVWA

Andy
March 13th, 2013, 4:25 PM
I always loved the tarantula thing Tajiri did. The green mist was fun too. Just a shame neither made any sense as they were completely illegal.

turdpower
March 13th, 2013, 4:30 PM
Is there a decent video on youtube showing the secret behind the green mist? Or did the camera always cut away to avoid showing him take a mouthful of it?

Andy
March 13th, 2013, 4:31 PM
I always assumed he had a capsule down his pants or something that he snuck into his mouth and bit into it at some point.

turdpower
March 13th, 2013, 4:51 PM
I'd like to think he had a cup of green tea brewing in the top turnbuckle.

ThE_GrEaT_GaM
March 13th, 2013, 5:33 PM
You do realize that these guys don't actually intend to hurt each other? Wrestling isn't real, yes?

so they don't really hit each other?

Cewsh
March 13th, 2013, 5:36 PM
I always assumed he had a capsule down his pants or something that he snuck into his mouth and bit into it at some point.

Yep, capsule with green powder in it. Bite, mix with saliva, mist.

mth
March 13th, 2013, 9:22 PM
I figured the capsule had to have liquid in it...I can't see powder and saliva producing that much of a cloud.

Oh, and in response to a couple mentioned: Alberto Del Rio busts out a pinning German suplex fairly often. Can't remember the last time Ryback did the multiple powerbombs but I don't think they're completely out of his arsenal.

Hero!
March 13th, 2013, 9:26 PM
He used them like 2-3 weeks ago. In one of the Shield matches, I believe.

ThE_GrEaT_GaM
March 13th, 2013, 10:18 PM
Abdulah The Butcher's Patented Fork attack.....just ask or better yet look at Carlos Colon's forehead