PDA

View Full Version : CM Punk vs The Undertaker

Hero!
March 6th, 2013, 4:51 PM
This match is too big a deal to be contained to the Wrestlemania thread. Who will win? Let's check out the tale of the tape!

In one corner, we have:
The Undertaker

http://www.dirtsheets.com/storage/The_Undertaker.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1339 412318286
22+ years with WWE
4-time WWE Champion
3-time World heavyweight Champion
20-0 Wrestlemania streak

Finishing Moves: Tombstone Piledriver, Chokeslam, Last Ride (powerbomb), and Hell's Gate

And in the other corner!

CM Punk

http://whatculture.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/cm-punk-as-champion.jpg
ROH & ECW Champion
2-time WWE Champion
3-time World Heavyweight Champion
434 day reign as WWE Champion - longest in 25 years

Finishing moves: Go To Sleep, Anaconda Vice, Flying Elbow

Can CM Punk topple the almighty deadman or will The Undertaker add the voice of the voiceless to his list of victims? Tell us what you think!

chatty
March 6th, 2013, 4:59 PM
Undertaker wins but I'll love it if Punk does.

Hero!
March 6th, 2013, 5:19 PM
Sorry for not making the poll public, guys. I didn't know how to do the whole poll thing. If a mod can change that option. I'd highly appreciate it!

My vote goes to CM Punk. Taker already has 20-0, which is a nice number. He's down to 1 match a year and this could easily be his last Mania match, considering how broken he is. Taker is a big fan of Punk and an old-school guy, so I believe that if he's going out, he's gonna go out on his back. Punk is the only man in the WWE who deserves the honor and I think this is the year. LET'S DO IT, PUNKY!

Cewsh
March 6th, 2013, 5:22 PM
Punk is the only man in the WWE who deserves the honor

Look, I know you collect Punk's ballsweat in a glass for future consumption, but seriously. How is this true?

Hero!
March 6th, 2013, 5:23 PM
He's the best in the world.

Cewsh
March 6th, 2013, 5:23 PM
He's not even the best on the card.

Vice
March 6th, 2013, 5:24 PM
I love Punk, but he has zero business beating Taker at WrestleMania.

Hero!
March 6th, 2013, 5:24 PM
Blasphemy.

edit: to BOTH of you

chatty
March 6th, 2013, 5:30 PM
I can agree with both points in a way. I think if Taker is retiring then he should put someone over and in the current roster I think Punk would be the best guy to do it, it would elevate him nearer to Cena's level once combined with his run and they could build to so Cena v Punk next year at Mania (whih is what they should do, being the no1 and 2 guys in the promotion, one a heel and the other a face and that they have marvellous chemistry).

I can't think of a better guy at present to go over Taker. I think he will wrestle next year though and that likely means the streak stays. It gives them another year to push someone into a position but quite franklyis anyone ever going to be deserving of breaking the streak after all the guys he has beaten in recent years.

takerson
March 6th, 2013, 5:33 PM
Look, I know you collect Punk's ballsweat in a glass for future consumption, but seriously. How is this true?

He's the best in the world.

He's not even the best on the card.

I get a legit lol out of this whole arguement. Amazing. :lol:

MikeHunt
March 6th, 2013, 5:40 PM
Legit lol. Kiss kiss kiss the bum hole.

Jacknife
March 6th, 2013, 5:49 PM
Yeah CM Punk will win.

Vice
March 6th, 2013, 5:53 PM
I would have been fine with Triple H ending it last year, but now I don't think anyone should end the streak.

JP
March 6th, 2013, 5:57 PM

:yes:

Nobody has any business whatsoever of beating The Streak.

Jacknife
March 6th, 2013, 5:58 PM
Naked Midion should beat the Streak

Miotch
March 6th, 2013, 6:02 PM
Sorry for not making the poll public, guys. I didn't know how to do the whole poll thing. If a mod can change that option. I'd highly appreciate it!

If it's possible I can't figure it out. Sorry.

Vice
March 6th, 2013, 6:07 PM
It's not.

Defrost
March 6th, 2013, 6:08 PM
Cena should beat him next year

Cewsh
March 6th, 2013, 6:23 PM
Yep.

VHS
March 6th, 2013, 6:24 PM
Undertaker's streak I feel is something that should be left unbroken because in the world of professional wrestling, having that one thing remain pure in its entirety would make it all the more legendary among the next generation of fans. The legacy of the Undertaker would continue to live on long after he retires regardless, but would it be because he won 20 straight WM matches or will it be because he was undefeated?

And if Cena breaks the streak, the fans would be pissed. :lol:

Cewsh
March 6th, 2013, 6:43 PM
Heel Cena. Be the biggest match in mania history.

JP
March 6th, 2013, 6:49 PM
If Cena was the person to beat The Streak I'd possibly lose all sense of reality, have some sort of catastrophic mental breakdown and get myself arrested for having sex in public with a plastic doll in the shape of a Roswell Alien while playing chopsticks on a child's electronic keyboard with my spare hand.

I think what I'm trying to say, is that I don't particularly like that idea.

G-Fresh
March 6th, 2013, 8:00 PM
I do that shit all the time.

The Law
March 6th, 2013, 8:13 PM
Undertaker will and should win. The Streak should never end, it's much more fun for it to be intact. Regardless, Punk is a poor choice to end it. He's already reached the highest level he can achieve. He's a main eventer, but he's never going to be WWE's top guy and beating Undertaker won't change that. The guy has been WWE Champion for over a year, he's beaten John Cena repeatedly, it's hard to see how beating Undertaker is going to elevate him any further. Should be a good match, but Punk should lose. Cena vs. Undertaker for the streak at Wrestlemania 30 is too big a match to pass on.

Brian M.
March 6th, 2013, 8:21 PM
Cena should beat him next year

Alright guys who hacked into Defrost's account? This isn't cool, the poor guy is going to be real upset when he reads this.

chatty
March 6th, 2013, 8:24 PM
Cena would be the worst person to beat him if he is planning on staying face imo. If he turned heel to beat him then that would be something.

McBain
March 6th, 2013, 8:35 PM
Should happen but still 90% sure it won't happen. Nice to have that 10% of doubt though.

Anyone have any insights into what Taker makes of Cena?

Bert
March 6th, 2013, 8:37 PM
Cena's never turning heel. Punk ending the streak would be great. I'm hoping.

Hero!
March 6th, 2013, 8:57 PM
Poll must be broken, says most of you voted for Taker. Sorry about that, guys.

Brian M.
March 6th, 2013, 8:59 PM
If Taker wants Punk to be the guy that beats him, he should be. That's really all it comes down to at this point. Taker himself should be the only one who determines if and when the streak ends.

Melly
March 6th, 2013, 9:04 PM
My vote is Punk.

McBain
March 6th, 2013, 9:12 PM
If Taker wants Punk to be the guy that beats him, he should be. That's really all it comes down to at this point. Taker himself should be the only one who determines if and when the streak ends.

Exactly. And it's something we're just not gonna know, in a similar way to how we didn't know HBK was gonna retire, and that last year there were stories about Taker wanting it to be Trips to end it.

Mania season wouldn't be the same without the rumour mill going wild.

takerson
March 6th, 2013, 9:13 PM

Exactly. And it's something we're just not gonna know, in a similar way to how we didn't know HBK was gonna retire, and that last year there were stories about Taker wanting it to be Trips to end it.

Mania season wouldn't be the same without the rumour mill going wild.

That. All that, from both of you. Well said.

mth
March 6th, 2013, 9:17 PM
Goddamn am I going to be into this match. Taker's my all time favorite and Punk's not that far behind...I won't really be rooting for either one over the other, just going nuts for both. I'm one of those that thinks the Streak should never end but at the same time, I could be cool with someone ending it if done right. Punk could be one of those 'done rights'. Having said that, though, I think Taker'll beat him. But I don't think that 100%.

Tim
March 6th, 2013, 9:26 PM
Nobody should end it. At this point you associate "The Streak" with WM, you can't have one without the other.

Punk carried the title for a gazillion months, yet they still made Cena/Rock the main event... twice. That's an indication that Punk will never be anything more than 2nd to Cena. You can't have the guy who isn't trusted enough to main event Wrestlemania end something as big as the Streak, and that's nothing against Punk it's just the truth.

I would of liked to see Cena/Taker this year because Rock/Cena sucked last year and I have no faith it'll be any better this year. But I understand that Rock/Cena is a cash cow and you have to milk it for all it's worth. Hopefully we get Cena/Taker and Punk/Austin next year.

Cena/Taker will be epic, the crowd will explode if Taker wins and will murder Cena if he wins.

Mark Hammer
March 6th, 2013, 9:30 PM
Punk carried the title for a gazillion months, yet they still made Cena/Rock the main event... twice. That's an indication that Punk will never be anything more than 2nd to Cena.

I have seen this argument more than once and every time I cringe as it is total grade-A bologna.

VHS
March 6th, 2013, 9:34 PM
People can call Punk 2nd to Cena since he's not the center piece of the WWE, but Cena ain't the one facing the Undertaker, which in itself is the highest honor IMO if you're not HBK or HHH.

Mark Hammer
March 6th, 2013, 9:41 PM
Calling Punk second fiddle to Cena at this point is absurd. Neither one is shown favoritism over the other. And nobody wants to see Rock vs Punk at Wrestlemania.

mr sabu
March 6th, 2013, 9:44 PM
punk wins by heelish tactics.

shield attackkkkkkkkkkk

serious edit....... streak shouldn't end

foley has his legacey for his promo skills and bumps
takers streak can be his legacey

virms
March 6th, 2013, 9:48 PM
Be serious here. If you sat every member of the roster down and asked them if they could have Cena or Punk's spot who do you think they wouod choose?

Depending on the outcome of mania Punk will more than likely be upper midcard for a while again wyere as Cena is gonna main event everything. Don't get me wrong....people would kill for Punk's spot but if they had a choice to have Cena's they would damn well take it.

Tyson
March 6th, 2013, 10:10 PM

Seconded.

Mark Hammer
March 6th, 2013, 10:19 PM
Be serious here. If you sat every member of the roster down and asked them if they could have Cena or Punk's spot who do you think they wouod choose?

Depending on the outcome of mania Punk will more than likely be upper midcard for a while again wyere as Cena is gonna main event everything. Don't get me wrong....people would kill for Punk's spot but if they had a choice to have Cena's they would damn well take it.

What does this have to do with anything? Rock vs Punk at WM makes no sense, so why would they do Rock vs Punk at WM?

virms
March 6th, 2013, 10:22 PM
You missed the whole point dumdum. Think long term career.

Mark Hammer
March 6th, 2013, 10:43 PM
But that's not the point, dumdum. The point is Punk is not being shafted in favor of Cena.

Atty
March 6th, 2013, 10:57 PM
Goddamn am I going to be into this match. Taker's my all time favorite and Punk's not that far behind...I won't really be rooting for either one over the other, just going nuts for both. I'm one of those that thinks the Streak should never end but at the same time, I could be cool with someone ending it if done right. Punk could be one of those 'done rights'. Having said that, though, I think Taker'll beat him. But I don't think that 100%.

After the last few years, it definitely can be "done right." When Triple H tombstoned him, I was resolved that the streak had ended until about three seconds after he kicked out. And I was totally fine with it. They've shown that they know how to build a story where it makes sense and fits. Same with the superkick into pedigree last year.

I have to say this every damn year, but it'll end if Taker wants it to end. He's worked one match a year over the past few years and, having gotten to 20 and his health becoming more and more an issue, it's definitely not out of possibility that he's ready to fully retire. If he wants to put someone over who will be in the company for the next decade, he will. No sense bitching and moaning about it or booking his WM 37 match.

Kneeneighbor
March 6th, 2013, 11:08 PM
And thats the thing. He isnt going to be able to go on forever. They cant count on him losing next year or the year after. Its really one at a time with him.

I also think that his legacy will go on forever at Mania regardless if he is 21-0 or 20-1. They will still talk about how he rattled off 20 in a row....

Side not at what point did they start to make a big deal about his streak?

McBain
March 6th, 2013, 11:14 PM
I thought it was around the time when Trips first wrestled him, but may well have been before.

Will they need to go on about the streak so much once he's retired? The only reason they do so much now is to sell the events...which won't be an issue once he's no longer a part of them.

takerson
March 6th, 2013, 11:47 PM
First time I remember them mentioning it was 9-0 after he pinned HHH at 17. He counted his 10 fingers after beating Flair at 18 for 10-0. They mentioned 11-0 when he beat A-Train/Big Show at 19. They again mentioned 12-0 after he beat Kane at 20. I think the first time they used it as a plot point was Orton at 21, and then every one since. With each one getting bigger/more important.

ThE_GrEaT_GaM
March 7th, 2013, 12:22 AM
Well, by this point I think every possible argument has been discussed. A lot of cases can be made about this match from the streak never ending, to Undertaker "ending" an era last year and going 20-0 which should allow for a "New Era" to finish it to Undertaker retiring next year on his back or undefeated. The fact of the matter is that if Punk was able to put such an awesome performance against Cena 2 weeks ago on Raw we should expect the same match quality of the past 6 streak matches at Met Life Stadium this year.

As far as the build for the match goes. I expect something similar to HBK in 2009 towards WM 25 with Punk being the smart, confident guy who confronts the Undertaker and defies him at every turn. The Difference though is that Punk is a heel and we haven't seen the Deadman face a heel at the grand stage since 24.

My take? Just sit back and enjoy the ride. I'll be there so I sure as hell will.

ThE_GrEaT_GaM
March 7th, 2013, 12:56 AM
Side not at what point did they start to make a big deal about his streak?

The first time I ever heard the 0 was right after he beat Bossman at 15. But they began making it huge deal after he went 10-0 against Flair most definitely. After that match every oponent would emphasize the fact that they would be the first one to beat him. Even Kane at WM 20 considering the fact that the true story of the match was Taker going back to his Deadman persona he would still mention the fact that his brother's undefeated streak would end by his hand.

It wasn't until he faced Orton though that an oponent wold be hell bent on ending the streak to cement a legacy. The match against Henry was more of a grudge angle and then he went title for streat against Batista and Edge and then.....we all know right?

Oh and Edge was 9-0 at Wrestlemania before Taker ended his streak.

Hope this helps

turdpower
March 7th, 2013, 2:45 AM
So which active wrestler currently has the second longest streak at WM? Is it Michael Cole?

Cewsh
March 7th, 2013, 3:09 AM
It's actually the Miz. He's 3-0.

The longest undefeated streak on the books right now for anyone who isn't the Undertaker is Rob Van Dam, who went 4-0. So yeah, not even close.

Atty
March 7th, 2013, 3:37 AM
Oh and Edge was 9-0 at Wrestlemania before Taker ended his streak.

Edge lost the year before he faced Taker.

Vice
March 7th, 2013, 4:00 AM
Nah man, in the match before Taker he was just carried out on a stretcher because he was too injured to finish the match. Clearly he didn't lose!

Andy
March 7th, 2013, 11:43 AM
I don't think there's anyone around who should end the streak at the moment.

People keep talking about how beat up he is but all Taker has done in the past year is give Hunico a tombstone. I don't think there's any reason to believe he isn't capable of doing what he did last year and what he did last year was produce one of the best matches I've ever seen.

I'm gonna be there to see Punk/Taker and I absolutely believe it's gonna be fucking incredible. :hyper:

Kneeneighbor
March 7th, 2013, 11:55 AM
In the last year he has also had surgery multiple times.

The Law
March 7th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Miz is 3-0, Swagger is 2-0. As far as I can tell no one else on the roster has a streak of more than two. Those Money in the Bank matches really screwed that up.

Longest non-Undertaker streaks:

-Edge (5-0, lost either at Wrestlemania 23 or 24 depending on how you want to look at it)
-RVD (4-0, unless you count his pre-show loss at Wrestlemania 19)
-John Cena (4-0, lost his streak at Wrestlemania 24)
-Owen Hart (4-0, lost his streak either at 13 or 14 depending on how you count it)
-Hawk and Animal (3-0, only lost their streak at Wrestlemania 15 if you count their pre-show battle royal loss)
-Ricky Steamboat (3-0, lost to Greg Valentine at Wrestlemania VI)
-Hulk Hogan (either 3-0 or 4-0, depending on how one counts his Double DQ against Andre at IV. Lost to Warrior at VI)
-Iron Sheik (3-0, active)
-Mr. T (2-0, still active)
-Shane McMahon (2-0, active)
-Hardcore Holly (2-0, active)

takerson
March 7th, 2013, 12:48 PM
It's actually the Miz. He's 3-0.

The longest undefeated streak on the books right now for anyone who isn't the Undertaker is Rob Van Dam, who went 4-0. So yeah, not even close.

But both RVD & Miz DID lose pre-show matches at WM's (which I've always counted as part of WM itself. RVD was pinned by Lance Storm in a tag title match on the WM 19 preshow, and Miz & Morrison lost to Carlito & Primo at the WM 25 preshow.

Cewsh
March 7th, 2013, 12:50 PM
Yep. So by that criteria, nobody has an active streak better than 2-0.

Bennedy
March 7th, 2013, 2:16 PM
Not sure why you would count the pre show. The clue is in the name.

turdpower
March 7th, 2013, 2:28 PM
Aye, do we also count the old Sunday Night Heat?

Jacknife
March 7th, 2013, 3:11 PM
What's CM Punk's record at Wrestlemania? He's lost to Orton, Mysterio? He won MITB one year.

Cewsh
March 7th, 2013, 3:16 PM
3-3.

He won Money in the Bank twice in a row and he beat Jericho last year. He lost to Orton, Mysterio and in a 3rd MITB match.

Andy
March 7th, 2013, 3:21 PM
Lost MITB at 23
Won MITB at 24
Won MITB at 25
Lost to Mysterio at 26
Lost to Orton at 27
Won against Jericho at 28

edit - screw you cewsh

ThE_GrEaT_GaM
March 7th, 2013, 5:06 PM
Nah man, in the match before Taker he was just carried out on a stretcher because he was too injured to finish the match. Clearly he didn't lose!

exactly....

Bennedy
March 7th, 2013, 5:09 PM
Well he still didn't win. So his winning streak was over at that point.

Jaymz
March 7th, 2013, 5:19 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I don't care at all about Punk vs Undertaker.

We've gone from Taker not being around for yonks, to having the streak on the line in the space of three hours. Four of the top guys bickering over who faces him is a scene reminiscent of any given Smackdown, but in this particular instance it doesn't result in a meaningless strange bedfellows tag match, but a fatal fourway to see who faces the Undertaker.

I understand that the match itself has been touch and go for some time, but it seems quite slapdash and with little emotional involvement from anyone involved.

The streak... don't care either. Taker's legacy is secure, Paul Bearer's death makes the match that much more poignant so further diminishes the odd's of Punk winning, but part of me wants to see the streak end to elevate the next great heel. Maybe throw in some Orton interference for a heel turn which would then also accomplish him turning into other boring fucker persona which hasn't been seen for a while, so people might have forgotten how much of a boring cunt he is.

G-Fresh
March 7th, 2013, 5:22 PM

How is that not a loss?

Cewsh
March 7th, 2013, 5:32 PM
How is that not a loss?

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m96ltrrxNx1r8p2q4.gif

G-Fresh
March 7th, 2013, 5:34 PM
Fuck yo face jigga

MMH
March 7th, 2013, 5:37 PM

I honestly think most of them would take Punks spot. Wrestling Taker at Mania these days is a big big honour. I would say the streak is currently the most (maybe even the only) prestigious thing in wrestling right now. And seeing as how banged up he is and how much focus they have put on Takers wrestlemania match being a classic its a massive show of faith by the company to be put in that role.

Zacharie
March 7th, 2013, 9:11 PM
I think Taker will win it. He should win because I can't see Punk remaining in the main event much longer. Once Mania is over, I imagine Punk will get knocked down the card a little bit. He'll eventually be on Jericho duty where he's beating midcarders but jobbing to main eventers.

Brian M.
March 8th, 2013, 1:41 AM
Considering he is easily the best and most over heel they have right now, I somehow highly doubt he will be pushed down the card at all.

Beer-Belly
March 8th, 2013, 1:44 AM
Who can he face, though? I mean, I could watch Cena and Punk wrestle every week and not get tired of it, but I can understand if the higher ups are tired of that match.

Brian M.
March 8th, 2013, 1:46 AM
Feuds against Sheamus and Del Rio would be pretty fresh and keep him in the main event. That's a few months worth of matches at least. Maybe another Ryback match too. Those guys are all legitimate main eventers.

The Law
March 8th, 2013, 1:53 AM
I expect Punk to spend most of the rest of the year feuding with Sheamus, Del Rio, Ryback, and possibly Daniel Bryan. He's never worked with Sheamus (that I can remember). He hasn't worked with Del Rio since he went heel and Del Rio went face. He should put Ryback over at some point after beating him last year. Him and Bryan have amazing chemistry and haven't worked together with Punk as a heel. I also think there's a decent chance that we get another Punk/Triple H match at some point. Definitely some unfinished business there.

Beer-Belly
March 8th, 2013, 2:01 AM
I miss face CM Punk. I want to cheer him. A Punk/Heyman feud would be great. Just have Punk persevere over everyone that Paul throws at him until he eventually calls in Lesnar to finish the job.

Punk vs. The Shield would also be fun.

Judas Iscariot
March 8th, 2013, 3:36 AM
Punk vs Shield would be a lot of fun, especially because he's huge on Ambrose and Rollins and he put on a brilliant match with Ambrose not too long ago. It's on the youtube somewhere, an FCW event.

What I REALLY don't understand, and this might be off topic, but does it make ANY FUCKING SENSE to ANYONE that while Heyman is representing Punk and Lesnar at the SAME TIME that there hasn't even been ANY interaction between the two of them?

It makes absolutely no sense. Like, it's mind blowingly mind blowing.

Beer-Belly
March 8th, 2013, 3:52 AM
Ambrose vs. Punk has to happen. Either one could be the face or the heel, but that shit has to happen. I think Punk would make for a more sympathetic face, but I also think Ambrose could kill it as a loose cannon good guy.

With Heyman/Punk/Lesnar, their lack of interaction has to be on purpose. They could be building towards a Punk and Lesnar match.

Judas Iscariot
March 8th, 2013, 4:20 AM
I doubt they're building to anything between Lesnar and Punk. I think they're just fucking stupid.

Ambrose will eventually become a face a la Mankind despite his insanity when he gets into his backstory just like Foley.

I see a Punk/Ambrose feud happening as Punk's way of passing the torch to him, to be honest with you.

Punk has said he's retiring sooner than anyone expects and he's been all about Ambrose, so when all is said and done, just like when he had that FCW match and told folks to not look at the back for the next CM Punk but for the first Dean Ambrose (and said he hoped Ambrose would have the balls to do the same to someone he believed in), I think Punk will wind up giving it over to him.

And when that program happens it will be epic.

chatty
March 8th, 2013, 9:50 AM
Punk has loads of options in the main event picture - Sheamus, ADR, Kane/Bryan, Orton, Ryback, Big Show, yeah sure its not the main event but it'll lay second fiddle - they should really build it so him and Cena take separate routes leading to next years main event at Mania - its about time they had the no1 and no2 face of in the main event, Punk hasn't won the rumble, they have great matches and can put on a good feud.

Plus the Brock match could probably happen, he has another six match contract so conceivably who are they going to put in with him? Cena 2, Rock, Taker - I mean after those he's probably next in line and with the Heyman link they could easily work a way to do it. You have Orton and Sheamus and I'd like it if they had him in with a top mid-card guy but by the looks of things they'll just try and do super matches.

Mills
March 8th, 2013, 1:34 PM
Yeah, Punk's heel run is far from over, but keep him away from Big Show. Their matches together when he was in the SES were terrible.

The Law
March 8th, 2013, 3:04 PM
So how does everyone expect this match to go? The last two matches featured basically the same story, with Triple H dishing out ridiculous amounts of punishment to Undertaker and him just not staying down. The Michaels match at 26 was more of a "last stand" type thing, with Michaels throwing everything he had at Undertaker and just not being able to keep him down, then going down fighting. I haven't seen the match at 25 in awhile, but I recall it being fairly even with Michaels using his quickness to take the advantage early.

I'm not sure how they'll do it this year. I don't think Punk emulating Triple H and just pounding on Taker is the way to go. Punk is so much smaller than Taker that it's not necessarily plausible for him to dominate him physically. I could see them going with a "Punk counters everything" story, which was sort of what they did with Edge/Undertaker at 24. I could see Punk relentlessly targeting a body part, probably the knee. I also have a pet idea for the match where Punk just tries to win in the most chicken-shit ways imaginable. Rollups, count-outs, trying to get Taker DQed. I also think this is the year to do a true false finish. Punk pins Taker while using the ropes for leverage, his music plays and he celebrates, and then the referee overturns the decision and re-starts the match. That would go even further than the incredible near falls they've done the last few matches (HHH Tombsones Taker, Sweet Chin Music into the Pedigree).

Mills
March 8th, 2013, 3:22 PM
Id mark out for a GTS, maybe even Brock interfering and throwing in an F5

Anaconda Sniper
March 8th, 2013, 7:44 PM
Its time for Taker to go to sleep. I honestly don't care who wins...I love both of em. But my god if punk wins...I will freak out in a good way.

Atty
March 8th, 2013, 8:01 PM
I also think this is the year to do a true false finish. Punk pins Taker while using the ropes for leverage, his music plays and he celebrates, and then the referee overturns the decision and re-starts the match.

That would be good for no one.

Jason_HBK
March 8th, 2013, 8:13 PM
If Punk was gonna be around for 10-15 more years I'd say let him end it but he's already talking about retiring so it would be bad news if he did. They did give him a 400+ day WWE title reign so there's a window of possibility but I think painfully close is how his night will end. Punk should be extremely motivated to outshine Rock/Cena so I can't wait to see it all play out and what kind of match they can put together.

Rip
March 8th, 2013, 8:26 PM
C'mon, it's 'mania, it's 'taker, there's only one winner.

At 20-0 there's no point in 'taker dropping the streak now, the potential damage it could do to the person who breaks it outweighs the benifits, the sheer psycological pressure could break most of the potential candidates.

Let 'taker finally retire at 22-0 after next year when he beats Vince.

lotjx
March 8th, 2013, 8:59 PM
I disagree. Taker is a part timer at best, to be fair, he makes Rock look like he a full timer plus. We can't keep shoving him out there on bad hips to do a twenty match that gets high marks based on nostalgia. If Punk wins, he is a mega star and creates a Wrestlemania moment that will live forever or until wrestle is gone. There are no more Wrestlemania moments any more. The last one was Cena was jumping into the crowd after a lukewarm title match with JBL. Since then, its been one Taker victory over other old timers, he shouldn't go over a guy who works full time and has a bright future.

VHS
March 8th, 2013, 9:25 PM
So how does everyone expect this match to go? The last two matches featured basically the same story, with Triple H dishing out ridiculous amounts of punishment to Undertaker and him just not staying down. The Michaels match at 26 was more of a "last stand" type thing, with Michaels throwing everything he had at Undertaker and just not being able to keep him down, then going down fighting. I haven't seen the match at 25 in awhile, but I recall it being fairly even with Michaels using his quickness to take the advantage early.

I'm not sure how they'll do it this year. I don't think Punk emulating Triple H and just pounding on Taker is the way to go. Punk is so much smaller than Taker that it's not necessarily plausible for him to dominate him physically. I could see them going with a "Punk counters everything" story, which was sort of what they did with Edge/Undertaker at 24. I could see Punk relentlessly targeting a body part, probably the knee. I also have a pet idea for the match where Punk just tries to win in the most chicken-shit ways imaginable. Rollups, count-outs, trying to get Taker DQed. I also think this is the year to do a true false finish. Punk pins Taker while using the ropes for leverage, his music plays and he celebrates, and then the referee overturns the decision and re-starts the match. That would go even further than the incredible near falls they've done the last few matches (HHH Tombsones Taker, Sweet Chin Music into the Pedigree).

You want a Taker match to have a false finish at Wrestlemania? No problem, you're fired.

Cewsh
March 8th, 2013, 9:53 PM
I disagree. Taker is a part timer at best, to be fair, he makes Rock look like he a full timer plus. We can't keep shoving him out there on bad hips to do a twenty match that gets high marks based on nostalgia. If Punk wins, he is a mega star and creates a Wrestlemania moment that will live forever or until wrestle is gone. There are no more Wrestlemania moments any more. The last one was Cena was jumping into the crowd after a lukewarm title match with JBL. Since then, its been one Taker victory over other old timers, he shouldn't go over a guy who works full time and has a bright future.

Yeah, forget about those shitty matches between old timers. Those weren't any good at all.

Kdestiny
March 8th, 2013, 9:59 PM
Shawn sucked

Vice
March 8th, 2013, 10:01 PM
Nostalgia.

Mills
March 8th, 2013, 10:10 PM
Taker hasnt had a bad WM match since WM 19, and i cant fully say that was his fault. If he can go, and he wouldn't be wrestling if he couldn't, then put him out there. Also, this is a match that Punk has craved for years. UNDERTAKER at WRESTLEMANIA., people would give their career for that.

chatty
March 8th, 2013, 10:14 PM
I thought Taker/HBK at 25 was one of the greatest matches ever. I think they peaked there with the streak, the only way to beat it would be by him losing and that would always be a gamble. Lets see how it goes, could be great, could be disastrous, I suppose that's the great thing about it.

Brian M.
March 8th, 2013, 11:11 PM
It's kind of funny how this whole "Streak" as a storyline run started with Orton at WM 21, then for some reason they just threw fucking Mark Henry in there with him for a highly anticlimactic match at 22, and from there on in it's been a series of unbelievable matches. I love me some Mark Henry but that match just sticks out like a sore thumb.

ECDUB
March 10th, 2013, 1:46 AM
I voted CM Punk basically because I want to see him win. Admittedly I think The Undertaker keeps the streak in tow so he can have one last money match at Wrestlemania XXX, hopefully tagged "Where it all begins again, again."

Seriously though, I'm excited we get to see Punk vs. Taker at Wrestlemania. Whoever wins, I'll be happy. I plan to simply enjoy the build and eventually the match.

McBain
March 10th, 2013, 3:22 AM
I voted CM Punk basically because I want to see him win. Admittedly I think The Undertaker keeps the streak in tow .

You've done it wrong then, champ. :derr:

kangus
March 10th, 2013, 3:42 AM
Why is there no time-limit draw option? or double DQ option? or The Undertaker's car doesn't start the day of WrestleMania and he can't make it to the event so the match is cancelled option?

Rip
March 10th, 2013, 6:45 AM

Pretty sure no-one is saying Taker isn't a part timer but he's earned the right to be a part timer because of all the injuries he's worked through over the years, the time he's spent on the road and in the business grants him that, the problem with using Rock in your ost is he's a totally differnet story, like him or not he left to make movies, then 'came home' whereas Taker left because things broke and he needed to lie down in a Lazerus pit for a few months.

If Punk wins he's a mega-star and creates a 'mania moment, so if he loses an epic encounter and just fails to destroy the streak after leaving it all in the ring he won't? I think you're selling Punk and Taker short there.

And I'm going to ignore your comments about there being no 'mania moments for years and 'old timers' because I'm assuming your medication ran out before you wrote them.

The streak means more than a match, more than a belt or a moment and it shouldn't die, the streak is for guys who have watched wrestling for years, for people who remember Taker in shitty purple gloves and Hogan being a real hero not a pale shadow, those of us who watched Macho marry Elizabeth, DX playing tanks, those of us who suffered Katie Vick and Farooq in a gay gladiator costume, the streak is for every fan who invests in the company and has believed in it. When Taker wins at Mania we all go back to our first Taker run, our first wrestling show, our first WTF/OMG moment, even big Mark played his part in that history and for me it's too big to end, if it does it will be a result that's regretted for ever and no-one in my mind is the right man to carry that, it would destroy their legacy, not build it.

lotjx
March 10th, 2013, 10:32 AM
The Steak shouldn't be as big as the title. When Taker finally hangs it up, there is going to be a giant void there. I don't view the Streak has this holy thing. It was a fluke thing that got turned into a bigger deal by Taker himself after he beat Flair. The problem with this match is the top three matches are predictable. Way too predictable. This is the only match where there is some doubt, but its not a lot. The undercard is not exactly winning me over either. Punk winning solves the problem with the void, the unpredictability factor and actually making a mega star. If Punk wins, he is another notch just like Mark Henry.

Beer-Belly
March 10th, 2013, 10:44 AM
Punk is already a huge star. Him ending the streak isn't going to magically make someone a huge draw, even Punk.

You not viewing the streak as a big deal means fuck all. It's presented as a major accolade and the fans regard it as such. Obviously they didn't plan on the streak from the beginning, but what does that even matter? It's extremely marketable at this point.

Jimmy Zero
March 10th, 2013, 10:59 AM
It's extremely marketable at this point.

Not only that, but it's pretty much the only thing left in WWE with any legit prestige attached to it.

JRSlim21
March 10th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Not only that, but it's pretty much the only thing left in WWE with any legit prestige attached to it.

Bingo. The Streak IS Wrestlemania at this point. You're either in the main event for the title or you're going after the streak to signify that you're a big fish. And it's arguable that the Streak has been the real Main Event as the best match on the card for how many years?

McBain
March 10th, 2013, 11:18 AM
I think the point has already been said that it's only (more) likely to go when it's Taker's last match. As JR said so recently himself. After that the marketability of it won't be as much of an issue.

Kneeneighbor
March 10th, 2013, 11:50 AM
I always thought they should have started streaks with a guy a few years ago. In fact they should always have someone on a W3 to W5. Occasionally maybe someone makes it to W7. They can still bring up the Undertaker and someone chasing the streak. 21 could always be a mythical number... sorta like 56 in baseball. Any time someone gets over 30 they start to talk about it even though you are still light years away from 56.

The Law
March 10th, 2013, 2:53 PM
I always thought they should have started streaks with a guy a few years ago. In fact they should always have someone on a W3 to W5. Occasionally maybe someone makes it to W7. They can still bring up the Undertaker and someone chasing the streak. 21 could always be a mythical number... sorta like 56 in baseball. Any time someone gets over 30 they start to talk about it even though you are still light years away from 56.

I totally agree. I think they really screwed up with Edge by having him lose the Money in the Bank match at 23. They should have kept him out of it and given him a win in a singles or tag match (one-on-one with Orton?) so that they could have Edge fight Taker in a streak vs. streak match. Cena is another guy who lost too soon. He should have beaten Orton at 24 and Miz at 27. Rock last year was a tougher call, I can understand having him lose to set up the rematch.

The tough thing about this is that unless they're the top guy, they are either going to fade away or rise to a level where they are going to lose. I think the key to Undertaker's streak was that he wasn't in the title scene for so long that they had no problem just putting him over guys every year. The first few wins of his streak were him going over former stars on their way out (Snuka and Roberts). Then they got into Monster of the Week territory (Giant Gonzalez and Bundy). The next two years he was in the main event and sub-main event wrestling guys who were on their way out of the company (Diesel and Sid). Then he beat Kane, which was an obvious call since it was the culmination of a months long feud and Kane had gotten a ton of heat on him already. The last time it was truly in danger of ending prematurely was at 15, but fortunately he was put against Boss Man instead of Mankind or Big Show, who they might have put over him. By 17 they realized he was undefeated and actually started mentioning it. So I guess it was a combination of him being a top guy, not involved in the title scene, and some good luck intervening.

Psycho666Soldier
March 10th, 2013, 4:04 PM
I can't be bothered to read the four pages that I neglected to read before right now, so excuse me if I am saying anything said before.

Punk vs. Undertaker is a HUGE double-edged sword for me. On one hand, I know the match will likely be awesome, and it's the best/only thing Punk can really do since he's not involved with the WWE Title. However, I am not sure how I feel about Punk ending the streak, particularly here. Part of me does not feel that now is the time for Punk to do it, but I am totally cool with the idea. Most importantly, though, he kind of CAN'T lose now. He's come off the biggest WWE Championship reign, lost to The Rock twice followed by being crushed by Cena afterward. Him Losing at Mania after doing some more winning would have been solid. Now he kind of HAS to win or else they've essentially squandered the massive title reign connection to Mania.

Though, I am open to the idea of a rematch where Punk wins, but I feel WM30 should, and will, be Punk vs. Austin.

Matthew
March 10th, 2013, 4:08 PM
this match is gonna suck so much balls.

Psycho666Soldier
March 10th, 2013, 4:21 PM
Yeah. YOUR balls.

Matthew
March 10th, 2013, 4:23 PM
its only redeeming quality

Psycho666Soldier
March 10th, 2013, 4:28 PM
If you're lucky, it might give you release, too.

Matthew
March 10th, 2013, 4:30 PM
when i finish i just raise my arms ala taker and the lights

Stringer Bell
March 10th, 2013, 6:56 PM
I don't think Punk will win, but if he does, it could be the best thing WWE has done in years. Ever since Cena rose to the top, they've been looking for his counterpart. Batista worked for awhile, Orton was a bust, but now they've finally done what people have been begging for for years and built another true top star. Punk's already there, but imagine how big of a boost ending Taker's streak would be. With the mic skills and ability everyone knows he's got, he'd be able to turn it into the most enormous amount of heat we've ever seen.

If there ever was anyone who could actually make ending the streak work, it's Punk. He's (hopefully) got a long career ahead of him. It almost writes himself. I can picture it now, and I can't think of anyone who would be able to run with it and make it bigger than life than Punk could. If he doesn't do it this year, it never happens. The only other possible person would be Cena but he has nothing to gain from it.

Regardless, it should be a fantastic match, much better than their HIAC. They should have Punk pull out every trick in the book.. chairs, tables, foreign objects galore, Heyman, the Shield, even Lesnar. Milk it and make every near-fall feel like it could be the end of the streak. It should be the most drama-filled match of the night by far.

ThE_GrEaT_GaM
March 10th, 2013, 7:59 PM
I think Punk will come "this close" to ending it trigering a possible faceturn after a spectacular battle. Heyman turns on Punk in favor of Brock. Punk beats Brock at Summer Slam and goes on to win the Royal Rumble after entering #1. Then challenges and beats either heel Randy Orton or a returning Dave Batista for the WWE Title in the main event at WM XXX. A match with Taker and a match with Lesnar should finally elevate him to close to Cena status.

Of course Cena challenges The Streak Next year.

lotjx
March 10th, 2013, 8:09 PM
Cena ending the Streak would be the worst.

Andy
March 10th, 2013, 8:44 PM
I think the only way they will book Punk as a face coming out of the match is if Cena turns, which just isn't going to happen.

ThE_GrEaT_GaM
March 10th, 2013, 10:54 PM
You know a lot of people say Punk is second after Cena. I don't think he's quite there yet. But after Wrestlemania he should be several steps closer behind Cena though. I don't think he'll ever get Cena's spot but being a legit second place and staying as such is more than enough. He can always pack sum muscle to make himself credible in Vince's eyes (which I think is the one thing holding him back at this point) and look "larger than life" but he'll get there. HBK was never the top dog for the better part of his career but he was always a huge draw. That should be Punk's goal now.

As far as Cena's heel turn goes, well I always say if Hogan did it, Cena's doing it too. We may just have to wait till he reaches that same point in his career though but don't rule it out.

Kneeneighbor
March 10th, 2013, 11:00 PM
They have missed the ideal time to turn Cena. But like you said, eventually they will do it too late and it will still go over huge because people will be chomping at the bit for something new.

Atty
March 10th, 2013, 11:07 PM
I totally agree. I think they really screwed up with Edge by having him lose the Money in the Bank match at 23. They should have kept him out of it and given him a win in a singles or tag match (one-on-one with Orton?) so that they could have Edge fight Taker in a streak vs. streak match.

Not even take him out of the MITB—he just should have won that match. They gave him the briefcase just over a month later anyway...

Kneeneighbor
March 10th, 2013, 11:11 PM
You can always have someone at W3. Doesnt even have to be a top guy, and even if the guy reaches a point where he needs to lose at Mania, you have someone else building a mini streak too.

Mark Hammer
March 10th, 2013, 11:13 PM
They have missed the ideal time to turn Cena. But like you said, eventually they will do it too late and it will still go over huge because people will be chomping at the bit for something new.

Surely he'll be booed out of the building when he beats the Rock at Wrestlemania. I imagine WWE could re-hash the WM 17 fallout and turn Cena into a monster heel then. I doubt they will though, he'll probably just appreciate everyone for exercising their right to hate him.

Atty
March 10th, 2013, 11:23 PM
I'm actually expecting the crowd to be more apathetic than anything when Rock taps out.

McBain
March 10th, 2013, 11:26 PM
Tapping out to the STF. Oh sweet jesus that would be a nightmare.

PurePlayer
March 10th, 2013, 11:29 PM
Not even take him out of the MITB—he just should have won that match. They gave him the briefcase just over a month later anyway...

Only because Kennedy couldn't stay healthy.

McBain
March 10th, 2013, 11:30 PM
:kennedy:

ThE_GrEaT_GaM
March 10th, 2013, 11:33 PM
Tapping to an improperly executed STF to be exact.

ThE_GrEaT_GaM
March 10th, 2013, 11:42 PM
, he'll probably just appreciate everyone for exercising their right to hate him.

OMG the happy place speech. How long can they go with that ffs.

ECDUB
March 13th, 2013, 12:40 AM
You've done it wrong then, champ. :derr:

Allow me to blame the vodka I drank that night. Don't drink and vote ladies and gentlemen. :)

Morrison
March 20th, 2013, 7:25 PM
this match is weird. i'm excited enough for the idea of the match, but it ultimately feels like a let down after the last four years of undertaker matches at the big show. the build-up has been boring so far.