PDA

View Full Version : N64 discussion thread

The Rick
March 1st, 2013, 10:59 PM
This is the Nintendo 64 discussion thread.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090630182209/nintendo/en/images/6/69/Nintendo64.jpg

I'm opening this thread for discussion on game titles on the N64. Please submit to me a list of your Top 15 N64 games via Personal Message. At this time I do not have a deadline, but one will be forthcoming.

As before if you want to reveal your list by all means do so, but please put it in spoiler tags.

enjoy

Pablo Diablo
March 1st, 2013, 11:09 PM
This one I finally feel like I played enough games on to rightfully send a list in. Looking forward to thinking about it.

Mark Hammer
March 1st, 2013, 11:12 PM
N64 was an awesome system and it doesn't get the credit it deserves because of it's much smaller library of games (compared to the PS1). But a handful of them are absolute classics. I'll do a list soon, Ocarina of Time ftw.

Matthew
March 1st, 2013, 11:15 PM
i liked the controller

still hate the look of it

Fro
March 1st, 2013, 11:27 PM
I loved this system so, so much. The controller was all sorts of awesome and innovative.

Bert
March 1st, 2013, 11:34 PM
I never had one but I would stay the night at my friends house to play Smash Bros all night. The bad part was going to church with him, but it was worth it.

Vice
March 1st, 2013, 11:58 PM
If my list only consists of like 10 games, can I actually put some of them in lower positions to give them less points?

The Rick
March 1st, 2013, 11:59 PM
If my list only consists of like 10 games, can I actually put some of them in lower positions to give them less points?

nah. But only submitting 10 is perfectly fine.

I actually liked they way the controller looked, but hated how it felt. The analog stick being in the middle was a dumb decision. You had to have your hands in a very cramped postion to play the big games(Mario, Golden eye, Donkey Kong, etc...)

Jimmy Zero
March 2nd, 2013, 12:05 AM
I spent a very large chunk of my college years tripping acid and playing MarioKart 64.

Such a fantastic system. There weren't a ton of titles, but the good ones are some of the best modern games I've ever had the pleasure of playing.

Atty
March 2nd, 2013, 12:08 AM
The N64 is a bit odd in that I've enjoyed a lot of it's games quite a bit more on the Wii via the Virtual Console. Using a different controller really gave them a better feel for me.

As for a title to hype, I feel Majora's Mask is criminally underrated. It was a very fresh take on the Zelda formula. Basically everything was unique, the time mechanic was well done and some of my favorite N64 moments are in it. Ocarina is absolutely fantastic and one of my all time favorite games, but it was largely following a formula from its predecessor for the story. Majora's Mask was completely out there doing it's own thing. It seems to get overlooked for that, but that's one of the main things I dug about it.

Conker will also rank high when I make my list. Like Vice, however, I may be looking at a smaller list. N64 has some absolute classics, but there wasn't much middle ground. Lots of games like Superman...

Jimmy Zero
March 2nd, 2013, 12:09 AM
You know what game was really awesome that no one seems to have even heard of?

Mario Tennis. That game was fun as hell.

Vice
March 2nd, 2013, 12:13 AM
Ocarina of Time will win this, and that's going to be stupid because it's overrated and not even the best Zelda.

Atty
March 2nd, 2013, 12:24 AM
It's not even the best Zelda on the system.

G-Fresh
March 2nd, 2013, 12:35 AM
I don't know man. I didn't really dig on Majora's Mask.

Mark Hammer
March 2nd, 2013, 12:43 AM
Yeah, Ocarina is far better than Majora's Mask. MM was good but it doesn't hold a candle to OoT.

Vice
March 2nd, 2013, 12:49 AM
A Link to the Past > Ocarina

The Rick
March 2nd, 2013, 12:52 AM
MM was a bit repetitive, but I enjoyed it. Maybe as much as OoT. My list will have three wrestling titles in my top 10. Mario Golf will be pretty high as well. Yoshi's Story is very underrated, and will probably be overlooked by many.

Vice
March 2nd, 2013, 12:53 AM
I :heart: Yoshi's Story.

Anaconda Sniper
March 2nd, 2013, 1:10 AM
You know what game was really awesome that no one seems to have even heard of?

Mario Tennis. That game was fun as hell.

I absolutely loved this game!

Other favs of mine were super smash bros, diddy kong racing, WM 2000, no mercy, ocarina of time, nwo/wcw revenge. So many!!!

Gotta give some love to mario party and donkey kong 64 too!

mr sabu
March 2nd, 2013, 1:18 AM
i went over the top and went 20

Fro
March 2nd, 2013, 1:24 AM
The first thing I think of with N64, apart from Super Mario 64 which absolutely blew my mind when I first saw what a 3D game could achieve, is how it created this immense and unprecedented 4-player home game experience. Mario Kart 64, Smash Bros, WM2000, Mario Party, Goldeneye etc etc were all the best games to play after school with your buddies

G-Fresh
March 2nd, 2013, 1:26 AM
The Star Fox multi player shit was dope shun.

mr sabu
March 2nd, 2013, 1:31 AM
rouge squadron

i sent in a list of 20

The Rick
March 2nd, 2013, 2:30 AM
I do have to say the Donkey Kong 64 game, killed my enthusiasm for the series. The game had its moments, but I soured on Rare's platforming games.

The Doc
March 2nd, 2013, 3:25 AM
Hey Vice, is Link To the Past your fav? Otherwise I should have a list submitted if not before the next reply in this thread by morning.

hithit
March 2nd, 2013, 4:03 AM
this is gonna be a hard list for me. quite a few games that i loved, then after about 5 or 6 it really dropped off for me.

Kunt 4 Life
March 2nd, 2013, 4:49 AM
An excellent system that is very much under rated. I remember a mate of mine whose parents were always away on holiday and so in the summer of 98 (i think) he had loads of people over (girls included) and the 4 player Goldeneye was the centre piece the whole night and til the early hours.
Defintly the consoile for house parties if you had the 4 controllers and goldeneye/mario kart. That was something the playstation couldnt beat it on.

T.I (uh oh)
March 2nd, 2013, 5:52 AM
I think that some combination of Ocarina, Goldeneye, Mario 64, Mario Kart and WWF No Mercy will probably round out the top 5 - but seriously guys, Shadowman, F-Zero X and Pilotwings all deserve some love.

Top 15 is gonna be hard.

Atty
March 2nd, 2013, 9:01 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w5neFPat1w

Kunt 4 Life
March 2nd, 2013, 11:54 AM
Dont forget Resi Evil 2 made to the N64. And a great conversation it was!

Matthew
March 2nd, 2013, 12:23 PM
banjo-kazooie
jet force gemini
diddy kong racing
gauntlet legends (i just like gauntlet for some reason)
one of the GEX games
pokemon snap
kirby 64
mario tennis
mario party
nfl blitz 2000
paper mario
perfect dark
turok

Anaconda Sniper
March 2nd, 2013, 12:32 PM
Come on Cranky...take it to the fridge!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npuuTBlEb1U

JP
March 2nd, 2013, 1:01 PM
This is gonna be a much, much harder list for me to compile than the PS list.

Vice
March 2nd, 2013, 1:45 PM
Hey Vice, is Link To the Past your fav?

Why yes. Yes it is.

The Rick
March 2nd, 2013, 2:18 PM
Why yes. Yes it is.

You should play Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages. They are coming to the 3DS soon.

Vice
March 2nd, 2013, 2:41 PM
Yeah, I'll get around to those at some point. Probably via emulator, because I actually very much dislike playing Zeldas on a handheld.

Sent my list in.

It features the following games, not in any order unless specified:

Pokemon Instagram
Blast Coors Light, 'Cause Bud Light Don't Pay Me Nothing
Link is the Princess: Overrated of Time
Cardboard Mario
Mandolin-Kazooie
Super FALCON PUUUUUUUUUNCH
SportsEntertainment 2000 feat. plenty of Mercy
Barrel Roll 64
The Legend of Zelda Link GROOSE: Not Ocarina
Conker vs. Poo
Super Luigi 64
NFL Da Bomb
FUCKYOURFUCKINGREDSHELLS 64
No Baby Mario
15. Goldeneye'veplayedbetter

Mark Hammer
March 2nd, 2013, 4:33 PM
OoT takes a massive shit on LttP imho.

Anaconda Sniper
March 2nd, 2013, 4:39 PM
The Rick how many lists do you have so far? I sent mine in earlier.

The Rick
March 2nd, 2013, 6:06 PM
The Rick how many lists do you have so far? I sent mine in earlier.

Fro
March 2nd, 2013, 6:22 PM
Sent. My top 15 in alphabetical order:

1080 Snowboarding
Goldeneye
Ken Griffey Jr Slugfest
Mario 64
Mario Kart
Mario Party 1
Mario Party 2
Mario Tennis
No Mercy
Perfect Dark
Pilot Wings
Star Fox
Super Smash Bros
Wave Race
Wrestlemania 2000

Anaconda Sniper
March 2nd, 2013, 7:10 PM
Randomized my list. :p

donkey kong 64
pokemon stadium
pokemon snap
majoras mask
ocarina of time
mario kart
mario 64
super smash bros
diddy kong racing
no mercy
wrestlemania 2000
wcw/nwo revenge
wcw/nwo world tour
mario tennis
mario party

Dreyski
March 2nd, 2013, 7:11 PM
I do have to say the Donkey Kong 64 game, killed my enthusiasm for the series. The game had its moments, but I soured on Rare's platforming games.

I initailly loved it, but looking back it seems they over-egged the pudding with DK64.
I'll get round to posting a list shortly.

Peter Griffin
March 2nd, 2013, 7:14 PM
Cant be arsed to post my full list,but it includes my three favorites;Banjo Kazooie,Mario Kart,and Mario 64 all awesome games in my opinion :yes:

MikeHunt
March 2nd, 2013, 7:26 PM
Waverace

Dreyski
March 2nd, 2013, 7:29 PM
A-Z:

Banjo-Kazooie
Banjo-Tooie
Body Harvest
Conker’s Bad Fur Day
Donkey Kong 64
Goldeneye
Killer Instinct Gold
Mario Kart 64
Paper Mario
Perfect Dark
Pilotwings
Star Fox 64
Super Smash Brothers
WWF No Mercy
Zelda – OoT

thegoat
March 2nd, 2013, 7:34 PM
Body Harvest was amazing.

Mark Hammer
March 2nd, 2013, 8:20 PM
15. Mario Party 3
14. Super Smash Bros
13. Mario Kart 64
12. Paper Mario
11. WCW/nWo Revenge
10. Yoshi's Story
9. Resident Evil 2
8. Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
7. WWF No Mercy
6. Super Mario 64
5. Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber
4. Perfect Dark
3. Goldeneye 007
2. WWF Wrestlemania 2000
1. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Vice
March 2nd, 2013, 8:30 PM
Goldeneye was great at the time, but it is one of the most (if not the most) poorly aged games I have ever gone back to. It saddens me considering how many gajillion hours I spent playing it.

Smash Bros. at 14? :(

Mark Hammer
March 2nd, 2013, 8:33 PM
It was a good game but I didn't really get a chance to truly appreciate the series until the Gamecube sequel. I would rank that one very high on a best Gamecube title list.

Mark Hammer
March 2nd, 2013, 8:35 PM
And I'm not sure if it's just because I was a massive wrestling nerd during the N64 era but I stand behind my decision to place 3 rasslin games on my list. The N64 had some beastly wrestling titles. I spent many many hours on WM 2000, especially the CAW mode which at that time was like nothing I had ever seen.

Vice
March 2nd, 2013, 8:45 PM
Super Smash Bros. Melee could very well be my number one GameCube game. So amazing. Just wish I had people to play against. :cry:

wardy
March 2nd, 2013, 9:17 PM
In the order in which I first played them...

International Superstar Soccer 64
Mario Kart 64
Goldeneye 007
Mario 64
Star Wars: Shadows of The Empire
FIFA: Road to World Cup '98
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Banjo Kazooie
WCW / NWO Revenge
Turok 2
WWF Wrestlemania 2000
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Mario Golf
WWF No Mercy
Perfect Dark

Never played No Mercy or Perfect Dark until last year and, regretfully, have never played: Donkey Kong 64, Banjo Tooie, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Body Harvest, Jetforce Gemini or Super Smash Bros but I promise I'll get round to it by the time we're doing lists again.

Pablo Diablo
March 2nd, 2013, 9:42 PM
I'm going to rate Goldeneye highly even though it aged awfully because at the time there was nothing as fun. Now every FPS has improved so much on pretty much everything in it so it seems shit, but it was a glorious game. Do I have to vote for 15 if I only really liked say 10 games I played and don't want to give votes to games I didn't like?

One thing I must say, how did you guys have the money to play all these games? I probably only played about 20 64 games total (haven't even started thinking so I may be way off) I was just a child I suppose.

mr sabu
March 2nd, 2013, 10:19 PM
i still play goldeneye from time to time..... i still love it i rate it higher then any cod game

i hate cod( except for the one that came out in 2003 i loved that one )

wardy
March 2nd, 2013, 10:22 PM
I never had that many games back in the day but I did own Zelda: OOT, Mario Kart, Goldeneye, ISS, FIFA, Turok 2 and Wrestlemania 2000. Also had F1 Pole Position but that was shit. A few years ago my mate just gave me his collection which included Mario, Majora's Mask and Banjo Kazooie. I got No Mercy and Perfect Dark off eBay and the rest I either rented or borrowed from friends.

Got to agree with mr sabu. I still play Goldeneye all the time and still love it. I like Call of Duty online but I find modern FPS single player modes boring in comparison to the Rare games for the 64.

Pablo Diablo
March 2nd, 2013, 10:30 PM
I tried playing GoldenEye the other day. The controls were just awful. I couldn't go back. I mean I understand the graphics aren't going to be as good, I'm fine with that. But the style being "realistic" means that it is harder to go back to then the Zeldas for example.

I do agree with the single player modes being better in the past. You pretty much get modern FPS for the multiplayer and "moments" in SP.

Judas Iscariot
March 2nd, 2013, 10:36 PM
More love needs to be given to the BattleTanx games.

The Rick
March 3rd, 2013, 12:25 AM
Do I have to vote for 15 if I only really liked say 10 games I played and don't want to give votes to games I didn't like?

Nope. You can submit a list as small as one title if you like starting with a #1. I have had many lists that weren't the full 15 over the last few months. It allows people to participate, who might not because they didn't play a massive amount of titles.

One thing I must say, how did you guys have the money to play all these games? I probably only played about 20 64 games total (haven't even started thinking so I may be way off) I was just a child I suppose.

For me it was used shops. As soon as I hit 14 I started helping with my grandparent's rental properties. Just about any money I earned went into purchasing games, and gaming supplies. Used shops let me pick up so many titles on the cheap, and I still bought my "big" titles on release. One shop always had ps1 games in jewel cases with out instruction books, for very cheap (2-10 dollars). There are so many gaming experiences I would have missed out on if a used market wasn't there. At the same time it made me look for particular studios when purchasing new titles. It was far easier to purchase a new title, when I knew the studio behind it. It wasn't always a sure bet, but it was a more sound bet.

The Rick
March 3rd, 2013, 12:33 AM
While it doesn't seem like anyone is having a problem at making a list(14 lists already at this point), here are some sites to look at

dorkly's top 25 (http://www.dorkly.com/article/28002/the-top-25-n64-games-of-all-time)

ign's to 25 (http://www.ign.com/articles/2000/06/20/the-top-25-n64-games-of-all-time)

gamesradar top N64 games
(http://www.gamesradar.com/best-n64-games-all-time/)

blackening
March 3rd, 2013, 12:36 AM
My list of 12 in no order:

Mario Golf
Gauntlet Legends
Mario Kart 64
NFL Blitz
Army Men: Sarge's Heroes
GoldenEye 007
WWF No Mercy
Mario Party
Mario Tennis
BattleTanx: Global Assault
Mario Party 2
Super Mario 64

The Rick
March 3rd, 2013, 12:42 AM
I didn't play Mario 64 to completion until my DS. Sure I had a try a couple of times when over at friends. When I bought my 64 used. It didn't come with a game, but at the store i got WCW NWO Revenge, Mario Kart 64, and Crusin USA(sucked balls). Everyone at school had taked Mario 64 to pieces, so I had no real urgency to pick it up. When the DS came out, it was the perfect time to play it.

mr sabu
March 3rd, 2013, 1:11 AM
as amazing as Jet Force Gemini was i never got around to finishing it

i sent most of the game killing tribals

T.I (uh oh)
March 3rd, 2013, 3:54 AM
My list:
15. Hybrid Heaven
14. Tetrisphere
13. Blast Corps
12. 1080 Snowboarding
11. Star Fox 64
10. Diddy Kong Racing
09. Jet Force Gemini
08. LoZ Ocarina of Time
07. F-Zero X
06. Pilotwings 64
05. Banjo Kazooie
04. LoZ Majora's Mask
03. Super Mario 64
02. Perfect Dark
01. Shadowman

Got a feeling that I've listed some games that no-one else will list.

MikeHunt
March 3rd, 2013, 4:15 AM
F-zero-x is fucking class. I've never felt so sick playing a game.

Matthew
March 3rd, 2013, 9:08 AM
to answer pablo (fuck quoting):

i was kinda poor. got a game here or there. renting allowed me run through a bunch of games. game-trading was also very prevalent with my group of 'friends'. we would strategically decide who is getting what game and such.

basically, what i am saying is, you are dumb and have no friends.

Dreyski
March 3rd, 2013, 9:10 AM
God, Blast Corps was frustrating. Ditto (even more so) Diddy Kong racing...

Goldeneye 4-player, license to kill, pistols, archives. :yes:

Atty
March 3rd, 2013, 9:19 AM
My list:
15. Hybrid Heaven
14. Tetrisphere
13. Blast Corps
12. 1080 Snowboarding
11. Star Fox 64
10. Diddy Kong Racing
09. Jet Force Gemini
08. LoZ Ocarina of Time
07. F-Zero X
06. Pilotwings 64
05. Banjo Kazooie
04. LoZ Majora's Mask
03. Super Mario 64
02. Perfect Dark
01. Shadowman

I listed the ones I bolded. Was damn close to having Pilotwings and F-Zero X on there, but they just missed off at the very end.

One I have noticed mentioned yet that I had on my list:

http://wikicheats.gametrailers.com/images/6/66/Shadows-of-the-empire-cover.jpg

JP
March 3rd, 2013, 10:00 AM
Not enough Mischief Makers. :squint:

Defrost
March 3rd, 2013, 10:44 AM
On the subject of Star Wars games the lack of Rogue Squadron love in here makes me sad

wardy
March 3rd, 2013, 10:57 AM
I liked Shadows of the Empire but was fucking terrified of those Bigfoot things that would slowly stalk you through a level like Michael Myers then beat you to death. Wampas I think they were called.

Defrost
March 3rd, 2013, 10:58 AM
Wampa Stompa! I remember that cheat code but can't remember what it did

mr sabu
March 3rd, 2013, 12:55 PM
It could have been to unlock the naboo fighter, I do remember being able to use it after doing some crap

Vice
March 3rd, 2013, 1:12 PM
I almost put Shadows of the Empire on my list, as I remember loving it quite a bit. And if you know my feelings about Star Wars, this is a pretty huge thing.

Defrost
March 3rd, 2013, 1:19 PM
Wampa Stompa! I remember that cheat code but can't remember what it did

I look it up. You get to play as a wampa instead of Dash Rendar

VHS
March 3rd, 2013, 1:39 PM
I miss the days of waking up early just to play Turok. It took me ages to finally beat the T-Rex boss near the end.

The Rick
March 3rd, 2013, 1:51 PM
I almost put Shadows of the Empire on my list, as I remember loving it quite a bit. And if you know my feelings about Star Wars, this is a pretty huge thing.

I'm the same way. But video games can win me over. There will be a Star Wars game on each of my Xbox and GameCube lists. And it kinda hurts me deep in my soul.

One Man Gang
March 3rd, 2013, 4:27 PM
My list so far

Banjo-Kazooie
GoldenEye 007
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Mario Kart 64
Mario Party
Mario Party 2
Perfect Dark
Star Fox 64
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
Super Mario 64
Super Smash Bros.
Turok: Dinosaur Hunter
WCW/NWO Revenge
WWF No Mercy

Psycho666Soldier
March 3rd, 2013, 4:34 PM
Not enough Mischief Makers. :squint:
Hold me.

The Rick
March 3rd, 2013, 5:59 PM
Not enough Mischief Makers Excitebike 64. :squint:

fixed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96YcUotg1Rs

stylepoints
March 4th, 2013, 2:37 PM
My list:
15. Hybrid Heaven
13. Blast Corps
10. Diddy Kong Racing

Three amazing games no one else has mentioned. Will most def be in my top 15.

Matthew
March 4th, 2013, 2:38 PM
what i mentioned diddy kong racing like 90 years ago

Vice
March 4th, 2013, 2:39 PM
Blast Corps was on my list.

stylepoints
March 4th, 2013, 3:04 PM
Maybe I overlooked this one too but was there no Killer Instinct on anyone's list?

The Doc
March 4th, 2013, 3:13 PM
It's not on mine. But I got a few quirky things on mine.

Dreyski
March 4th, 2013, 4:19 PM
Maybe I overlooked this one too but was there no Killer Instinct on anyone's list?

It's on my list.

Defrost
March 4th, 2013, 4:26 PM
what I went with

1. Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time
2. Goldeneye
3. Star Fox 64
4. Shadows of the Empire
5. Mario Kart 64
6. Legend of Zelda Majoras Mask
7. Rogue Squadron
8. Super Mario 64
9. Perfect Dark
10. WCW vs nWo World Tour
11. Sin and Punishment
12. Super Smash Bros
13. San Francisco Rush 2049
14. Mario Golf
15. Spiderman

Anaconda Sniper
March 4th, 2013, 4:45 PM
And I'm not sure if it's just because I was a massive wrestling nerd during the N64 era but I stand behind my decision to place 3 rasslin games on my list. The N64 had some beastly wrestling titles. I spent many many hours on WM 2000, especially the CAW mode which at that time was like nothing I had ever seen.

I have 4 on my list! The wrestling games back then were just amazing compared to today esp the ones we are putting in our lists.

Mark Hammer
March 4th, 2013, 4:59 PM

I loved Killer Instinct on the SNES. But I hated Killer Instinct Gold on the N64.

Pablo Diablo
March 4th, 2013, 5:01 PM
I'm going to have 2 wrestling games on my list I'm sure.

Vice
March 4th, 2013, 5:05 PM
I loved Killer Instinct on the SNES. But I hated Killer Instinct Gold on the N64.
My thoughts exactly.

Jacknife
March 4th, 2013, 5:39 PM
The worst is that Superman game. The best I would have to say Conker's Bad Fur Day.

The Rick
March 5th, 2013, 12:53 AM
I played a decent amout of Snowboard Kids 1&2

http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespot/images/box/6/8/4/198684_85661_front.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziXDpK4slN8

The Rick
March 6th, 2013, 1:31 PM
I'm putting a deadline on this now. It will be two weeks from today. Please have your lists in by Wednesday March 20th. Please submit to me a list of your Top 15 N64 games via Personal Message.

As before if you want to reveal your list by all means do so, but please put it in spoiler tags.

I'm impressed by the early turnout. I have 19 lists already.

Fro
March 6th, 2013, 2:11 PM
Out of curiosity how many lists did you get for PS1?

Anaconda Sniper
March 6th, 2013, 3:02 PM
Awesome deadline set. Can't wait to see the outcomes...and 19 lists already is awesome hopefully we get to 30 by then..if not more.

The Rick
March 6th, 2013, 7:55 PM
Out of curiosity how many lists did you get for PS1?

25. And the 19 in for this list, doesn't include mine yet. I'm waffling on a few titles.

The Rick
March 8th, 2013, 1:36 AM
My tentative list

1. No Mercy
2. Wrestlemania 2000
3. Mario Kart 64
4. Super Smash Bros.
5. Mario Golf
6. Goldeneye: 007
7. Zelda O.O.T.
8. WCW/NWO Revenge
9. Perfect Dark
10. Zelda M.M.
11. Bomberman 64
12. Resident Evil 2
13. Tony Hawk 2
14. Yoshi's Story
15. Snowboard Kids 2

Kneeneighbor
March 8th, 2013, 1:40 AM
I am working on a list but idk that I will submit it as my experience with the 64 is limited. As a kid we went from NES straight to PS1 and then eventually a PS2. In the mean time I had a few friends with a 64 but I hated the controller at the time... FLash forward 15 years and my GF moves in and as we unpack her boxes I find a 64 with golden eye and mario cart... and I have started playing a few games. But honestly IDK if I have played enough to fill out a legit list.

mr sabu
March 8th, 2013, 1:44 AM
my top 20

1) goldeneye
2) perfect dark
3) the legent of zelda: majora's mask
4) zelda orcaina of time
5) banjo kazooie
6) mario kart
7) conkets bad fur day
8) donkey long 64
9) super mario 64
10) wave race
11) 1080 snowboarding
12) Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
13) banjo tooie
14) Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
15) Star Fox 64
16) mace: the dark age
17) mario tennis
18) mortal kombat trilogy
19) smash bros
20) f-zero x

The Rick
March 13th, 2013, 8:15 PM
This is your ONE WEEK warning. You have one week to get you lists finalized and submitted via private message.

Thankssssss

VHS
March 13th, 2013, 10:19 PM
1. Mark Kart 64
2. Turok
3. Donkey Kong 64
4. Goldeneye
5. Banjo Kazooie
6. Shadows of the Empire
7. Star Fox 64
8. Mario 64
9. Cruisin USA
10. Rogue Squadron
11. Kirby 64
12. F-Zero X
13. No Mercy
14. Perfect Dark
15. Bomberman 64

Mark Hammer
March 13th, 2013, 11:05 PM
VHS loved him some No Mercy.

William
March 14th, 2013, 6:30 AM
I would only put Perfect Dark, Goldeneye 007, The World is Not Enough, and Conker's Bad Fur Day on my list. Maybe No Mercy and Wrestlemania 2000 as well. So sitting this one out. Never really did play much N64 myself.

Psycho666Soldier
March 15th, 2013, 7:01 PM
I played a decent amout of Snowboard Kids 1&2

http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespot/images/box/6/8/4/198684_85661_front.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziXDpK4slN8
Excellent shout. I played these games a shitload as a kid.

The Doc
March 15th, 2013, 9:56 PM
I completely forgot Snowboard kids even existed. I think I played it all of once and then someone challenged me to 1080 Snowboarding. I never could pull that fucking 1080, least not on purpose. Sometimes my angry flailing would produce things that the game couldn't quite figure out. Then I learned about Tony Hawk. . .I swear I pulled some straight Inspector Gadget grind in that game. You know shit where everyone in the room turns and says "You know you didn't do that on purpose right" and I'm like that's why I'm retiring now as the King. If I play again you'll beat me senseless.

The Rick
March 15th, 2013, 11:44 PM
I would only put Perfect Dark, Goldeneye 007, The World is Not Enough, and Conker's Bad Fur Day on my list. Maybe No Mercy and Wrestlemania 2000 as well. So sitting this one out. Never really did play much N64 myself.

That is fine either way. Not everyone can play every game. If you don't feel like you can make a list out of those titles, then don't fell pressured to do so. But I did get a top 5, and top 10 list in the PSX submissions last round. I have no problem with someone using a smaller list.

The Rick
March 18th, 2013, 2:28 PM
2 days to get your lists in. 24 in to this point. Good turnout already, but would love to have more.

Funboy
March 18th, 2013, 4:17 PM
I fucking loved the N64. My fondness is probably based in nostalgia, but my friends, my brother, his friends and I played it solidly for years. My list of best 15 games would be:

1. No Mercy.
2. Mario 64.
3. Zelda: Ocarina of Time.
4. Goldeneye.
5. Mario Kart.
6. Banjo Kazooie.
7. ISS 64.
8. F-Zero-X.
9.Perfect Dark.
10. Pilot Wings.
11. Wrestlemania 2000.
12. WCW Revenge.
13. Zelda: Majora's Mask.
14. Donkey Kong.
15. Turok.

I'm sure there could be more added to the list, and I'll be interested to see what others think.

Mark Hammer
March 18th, 2013, 4:19 PM
I notice quite a few people rating No Mercy higher than WM 2000. I suggest that they go back and play them back to back. WM 2000 is actually the smoother game. Vice helped open my eyes to this as I, too used to be under the false impression that No Mercy was better. Updated roster true, better game not so much.

Beer-Belly
March 18th, 2013, 4:31 PM
But the updated roster is one of the best rosters of all time. The story mode in No Mercy is also one of the most expansive and challenging around.

Vice
March 18th, 2013, 4:37 PM
No Mercy has a better roster, better match types, etc., but the game plays like absolute dogshit. It is slow, choppy, and pretty damn unresponsive for the most part. They also went for more realistic looking wrestlers, as compared to WM2000's more simple, almost cartoony looking guys, and those graphics look so much worse nowadays. WM2000's graphics look perfectly fine these days. Not great by any means, but they totally work. And the gameplay is so much more fluid and fun, and the controls are great.

Atty
March 18th, 2013, 4:40 PM
No Mercy has a better roster, better match types, etc., but the game plays like absolute dogshit. It is slow, choppy, and pretty damn unresponsive for the most part. They also went for more realistic looking wrestlers, as compared to WM2000's more simple, almost cartoony looking guys, and those graphics look so much worse nowadays. WM2000's graphics look perfectly fine these days. Not great by any means, but they totally work. And the gameplay is so much more fluid and fun, and the controls are great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07wuZ3EWMAA

Fro
March 18th, 2013, 4:47 PM
I notice quite a few people rating No Mercy higher than WM 2000. I suggest that they go back and play them back to back. WM 2000 is actually the smoother game. Vice helped open my eyes to this as I, too used to be under the false impression that No Mercy was better. Updated roster true, better game not so much.

Amen. WM2000 was about 8 spots higher on my list.

Beer-Belly
March 18th, 2013, 4:47 PM
It's not THAT slow and choppy. It's definitely more stilted than 2000, but you're making it seem unplayable. Honestly, I didn't notice that it slows down until I discussed it with some people here and then went back to playing 2000 for a bit.

Peter Griffin
March 18th, 2013, 5:13 PM
The only issue i had with No Mercy was that the data would get wiped every now and again, was a prominent issue over here i believe in early copies.

Vice
March 18th, 2013, 5:19 PM
It's not THAT slow and choppy. It's definitely more stilted than 2000, but you're making it seem unplayable.

I find it fairly unplayable.

Beer-Belly
March 18th, 2013, 5:27 PM
That's a shame. It's probably my favorite rasslin' game overall.

Funboy
March 18th, 2013, 5:41 PM
It got more of my game time, because of the career modes and the roster. All those AKI/THQ games were slick - such a shame that Backlash was never made :(

I remember having a triple threat where the clock went past 59:99 and just reset to 0:00 - a bit anticlimactic. Then there was that weird glitch where every hundredth game or so gave you enlarged weapons. The editing was amazing too - so the roster could be even bigger! I made so many guys, that I kept playing the game after making some TNA guys. I found the playability fine, yes it could get choppy but that tended to only happen every so often. I liked the slower pace than WM2000.

The Rogerer
March 18th, 2013, 5:51 PM
No Mercy doesn't slow down as much if you switch the music off, but I guess it was the first wrestling game I played on the N64 so I've never found it painfully slow. Conversly I found it a little hard to get into WM2000 as the season mode isn't as interesting and everyone looks like a potato.

wardy
March 18th, 2013, 6:10 PM
The season mode in Wrestlemania 2000 is desperately tedious. I think No Mercy is the superior game.

The Doc
March 18th, 2013, 7:01 PM
I actually miss the season mode from 2000. I hate how we are "fake" athletes in the video games. It's not like I ever played an NBA game where I got into the World Series cus the boss hated the Yankees.

The Rick
March 18th, 2013, 7:25 PM
But the updated roster is one of the best rosters of all time. The story mode in No Mercy is also one of the most expansive and challenging around.

No Mercy doesn't slow down as much if you switch the music off, but I guess it was the first wrestling game I played on the N64 so I've never found it painfully slow. Conversly I found it a little hard to get into WM2000 as the season mode isn't as interesting and everyone looks like a potato.

The season mode in Wrestlemania 2000 is desperately tedious. I think No Mercy is the superior game.

All of these. I turn music off on most of my wrestling games.

No Mercy included running grapples. took away the auto strike blocking with running opponents from WM2000. And No Mercy had the Survival mode. I made it all the way through a couple of times, but it always took over an hour. For some reason I always got caught around the 30 & 60 entrant mark. I'd have to run away for a while.

Also No Mercy had this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoGOt2umy9s

stylepoints
March 18th, 2013, 8:28 PM
Although much more polished, No Mercy had glitches out the ass and occasionally froze up. The first version of the game would also erase all your data. There was a revision to fix the data erasing issue but there was no way to know which version you were getting. After creating/editing various wrestlers and unlocking things, I'd want to jump out the window every time my data was wiped clean(which was way too often.)

No Mercy was definitely the more ambitious game but flawed from top to bottom. If I were writing areview of both games WM 2000 would get the better one. How can you rate a game higher than another when that game has so many technical problems? The superior aspects kind of wash itself out. With that said I do enjoy No Mercy better, it's just not the better game.

Mr. Boombastic
March 18th, 2013, 9:37 PM
Agreed with most of what was said, I did rank WM2000 and actually completely left No Mercy off the list. I was pretty surprised so many people had No Mercy higher. While, yes, No Mercy had some cooler features particularly the bigger roster and survival mode, it was a sequel so obviously they would build on what the first game did but the bugs in the game and slowness was just horrible attention to detail by the makers. WM2000 felt like a huge step up from WCW/NWO Revenge with the game modes, belts, and especially the create a wrestler aspect, and just the fact that the wwf roster was so much better than wcw's at this point. WM2000 felt like a huge step up from WCW Revenge whereas No Mercy felt like more of a lateral move from WM2000.

Mr. Boombastic
March 18th, 2013, 9:55 PM
Btw, you never realized how crappy of a wrestler Hulk Hogan was until you played with him in those wcw n64 games and his only cool move was the power slam/drop the guy's neck on the rope move

Pablo Diablo
March 18th, 2013, 9:58 PM
My top games had less to do with what was the more polished game but the game that I enjyoed the most/meant the most to me. WM2000 did not get anywhere near as much play from me as No Mercy did or WCW/NWO Revenge

stylepoints
March 18th, 2013, 10:00 PM
Hogan did have an excellent axe bomber in those games. Such a small detail most don't notice.

Mr. Boombastic
March 18th, 2013, 10:15 PM
I haven't seen too many people rank Perfect Dark in this poll, but I think that a similar argument could be made with Goldeneye 007 and Perfect Dark, Perfect Dark was basically a sequel and had some cool add ons like more weapons, more multiplayer arenas, multiplayer vs comp opponents,but also had a hell of a lot of bugs in the game that made it not quite as polished. Like WM2000, I had Bond much higher but Perfect Dark was a damn great game.

stylepoints
March 18th, 2013, 10:33 PM
The first version of the game would also erase all your data. There was a revision to fix the data erasing issue but there was no way to know which version you were getting.

Actually, I think one of the versions was colored while the other was standard gray. You didn't know which one you'd get till you opened it up and looked at the cartridge though.

The Rick
March 18th, 2013, 11:58 PM
I haven't seen too many people rank Perfect Dark in this poll, but I think that a similar argument could be made with Goldeneye 007 and Perfect Dark, Perfect Dark was basically a sequel and had some cool add ons like more weapons, more multiplayer arenas, multiplayer vs comp opponents,but also had a hell of a lot of bugs in the game that made it not quite as polished. Like WM2000, I had Bond much higher but Perfect Dark was a damn great game.

See I had the "jumper" pack, and never had problems with either. The only problem I had with No Mercy was when I played with four people. If it was just me versus 3 CPUs then I was just fine. I have the first edition too, I bought it on release day. I bugged the shit out of the guy at Toys R Us that day. I was at the store for about an hour. He said "We just got our truck in." Don't tell a gaming nerd that if unless you want him to hang aroud until you get his damn game. I played on their Dreamcast kiosk for a while. I think there was a demo of NFL 2k on it.

Funboy
March 19th, 2013, 1:41 AM
Perfect Dark had Elvis which means the main story got shit. Had some great levels, but the alien stuff bugged me.

Multiplayer was excellent, loved the addition of bots; and a lot of the weapons were brilliant.

But Goldeneye was the best. Made me think the film was better than it actually is!

Dreyski
March 19th, 2013, 4:02 AM
Perfect Dark was Goldeneye turned up to 11. You needed the memory pack, but almost everything got an upgrade. As awesome as Goldeneye is, Perfect Dark gets the nod. Also I never played Wrestlemania 2000 on release so I downloaded a rom - still prefer No Mercy, especially since the emulated version doesn't wipe your memory after completing a season. It is frustrating how it ramps up the difficulty when you have a 'must win' match though.

William
March 19th, 2013, 4:41 AM
If anyone is interested, my list is as follows:

1. Perfect Dark
2. Goldeneye 007
3. The World is Not Enough
4. WWF No Mercy
5. WWF Wrestlemania 2000
6. Turok 2
7. Mario Party 2
8. Paper Mario
9. Mario 64
10. Gauntlet Legends

The Rogerer
March 19th, 2013, 6:16 AM
I did a quick side by side comparison of WM2000 and No Mercy there, with the music off on No Mercy admittedly, and if anything NM ran slightly faster. I know it gets more slowdown if you go to 4 players and the music is on, but on a base level even with the music on, I don't think there's as much difference as has been made out. WM2000 is still pretty slow feeling, especially if you're recently played an early Smackdown.

Edit: This was on a 1 vs 1 singles, I'm sure No Mercy probably gets a bit slower during big gimmick matches, etc, but never dramatically so in my view.

wardy
March 19th, 2013, 11:09 AM
I'm glad I don't notice all these so called flaws in computer games cause I can still play Goldeneye, No Mercy, Zelda etc without any problems at all. In fact, I think they're still better than their modern day counterparts.

The Rick
March 19th, 2013, 12:49 PM
I forgot all about Winback. It was one of those bargin bin games, but it was a damn good game

http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespot/images/box/3/0/7/199307_43282_front.jpg

Matthew
March 19th, 2013, 1:25 PM
Perfect Dark had Elvis which means the main story got shit. Had some great levels, but the alien stuff bugged me.

Multiplayer was excellent, loved the addition of bots; and a lot of the weapons were brilliant.

But Goldeneye was the best. Made me think the film was better than it actually is!fuck you. loved elvis

Defrost
March 19th, 2013, 1:55 PM
I forgot all about Winback. It was one of those bargin bin games, but it was a damn good game

http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespot/images/box/3/0/7/199307_43282_front.jpg

Oh shit I forgot this one too. This was a great game and the story of it is surprisingly good and twisty too.

The Rogerer
March 19th, 2013, 8:23 PM
I can appreciate if WM2000 was your first one, it would seem more important. I think it was probably the biggest leap of all the AKI N64 games.

wardy
March 19th, 2013, 9:21 PM
I got Wrestlemania 2000 when it first came out and played it death. I only got No Mercy a year or so ago but like it so much better.

mr sabu
March 19th, 2013, 11:24 PM
i left no mercy off the list due to i had the glitchy version and all my work kept getting deleted

althought my dean melanko womans champion was great

Judas Iscariot
March 20th, 2013, 2:17 AM
BATTLETANX: GLOBAL ASSAULT

I didn't make a list but put it in caps because it needs to be included.

ReDPath
March 20th, 2013, 8:20 AM
Forget No Mercy/Wrestlemania2000/WCWWorld/Revenge

These two were pretty underrated.

I felt Warzone was a bit more smooth and grounded, but Attitude had a better roster, more match types, was just more zany.

Yeah by technicality/depth comparison, those other games blow these two away but I thought they were pretty fun.

The post entrance/ring introductions I always thought were humorous.

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110213152250/nintendo/en/images/4/43/WWF_War_Zone_%28NA%29.jpg
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120515014740/nintendo/en/images/d/d9/WWF_Attitude_%28NA%29.jpg

Olympus
March 20th, 2013, 10:27 AM
I used to love the wonky ring entrances. The street fighter style button inputs were horrible though. My favorite part of wrestling games is cranking the difficulty way down and getting the match to play out exactly how I want it to. I could never do that with this game, so I even resorted to using two controllers and switching between the two in order to properly script a match.

I do remember gazing longingly at all the War Zone articles and ads in the gaming magazines thinking how awesome it looked. I know it wasn't the first time a steel cage was in a wrestling game, but I can't even express how excited I was for that steel cage match.

Then when Attitude was announced, I remember the release date got pushed back from May, to July, to August. I was almost sick waiting for it. I don't think I ever anticipated a game release as much as I waited for Attitude. I was 14 or so and had nothing else to do in my life at the time. Once it came out, I spent hours and hours creating the entire WCW roster at the time too in that game.

I even was able to use my Gameshark to have the female CAW's not have tops. :P

Mark Hammer
March 20th, 2013, 11:56 AM
Yeah, having to memorize and input a button combination to do a bodyslam killed it a bit for me.

Dreyski
March 20th, 2013, 3:41 PM
Played Attitude on the Dreamcast - really disappointing. There's no excuse for a CD-based game to have such shite entrance video/music quality. Also didn't like the button combinations - what was the difference between a D-pad with a red dot and without? And Kane's pre-match speech sounded like his voice box battery was running out :lol:

Atty
March 20th, 2013, 10:47 PM
Yeah, having to memorize and input a button combination to do a bodyslam killed it a bit for me.

Yep.

I actually made a CAW of Apollo Creed for War Zone, so I could play it by just punching people to defeat.

Fro
March 20th, 2013, 11:23 PM
Anyone else give Mario Party props on their list? MP2 was my favorite. Me and my buddies used to have so much fun playing that on sleepovers when we were youngsters. And then in college I got it going again as a drinking game. I even wrote out the rules and everything. It was tailor made to be a drinking game. So much fun.

One Man Gang
March 20th, 2013, 11:26 PM
Both Mario Party 1 and Mario Party 2 made my list. And yes it was very much a party favorite as the title suggested.

The Rick
March 20th, 2013, 11:32 PM
I'm pushing the deadline back to Saturday. I've got things that need to be taken care.of for the next couple of days. So since I won't be home much, I'm going to leave that time open for any last minute poster to make lists. We have matched the 25 mark from the PS1 submissions, and it was given three weeks. Sorry for the delay, but I will try to start the unveil Sunday or Monday.

G-Fresh
March 20th, 2013, 11:39 PM
Good cause I forgot to send mine in.

Vice
March 20th, 2013, 11:53 PM
I fucking hate Mario Party games with a passion ever since I played with Cewsh and some of our friends. I dominated like the entire game to a laughable degree, then on the second to last turn (or however it works), Cewsh got some dumb little thing that switched his stars with mine and won the game for him. For doing nothing. Up until then I thought it was a lot of fun, but any game where the outcome can be completely flipped via chance leaves me with a very sour taste.

Also because it was Cewsh.

And he wouldn't shut up about it.

Matthew
March 21st, 2013, 1:39 AM
guys you should know though that vice has some ungodly button tapping abilities and he shouldn't even be allowed to play those games

glad that happened to you.

well deserved.

Vice
March 21st, 2013, 5:07 AM
My button tapping abilities aren't THAT great.

G-Fresh
March 21st, 2013, 4:22 PM
Vice taps buttons all day long motherfucker.

The Rick
March 21st, 2013, 7:05 PM
I'm pushing the deadline back to Saturday. I've got things that need to be taken care.of for the next couple of days. So since I won't be home much, I'm going to leave that time open for any last minute poster to make lists. We have matched the 25 mark from the PS1 submissions, and it was given three weeks. Sorry for the delay, but I will try to start the unveil Sunday or Monday.

So snow has impacted my "taking care of things", but the Saturday deadline stands. At 26 lists I would still like to see lists from som, of the Rajah stalwarts. Simon, Alf, The Rosk, Fanny, and others. Write down 15 titles(or less), place them in order, and send it to me.

#participation!