PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Raider 2013

Excel
February 27th, 2013, 8:11 PM
Comes out next week, but there seems to be no interest in this round here.

i have never liked any of the previous games but this one looks so different. Has much more of an Uncharted feel. I'm loving the idea of Lara being totally inexperienced and by the end of the game becoming the Lara from the previous games and it looks like a great reboot.

Is anyone buying it?

Bert
February 27th, 2013, 8:35 PM
No plans to at the moment but I wasn't interested in Far Cry 3 until reviews came out so who knows.

The Rick
February 27th, 2013, 9:20 PM
Not on release day, but it has been on my radar. It looks really good, but does it have the quality of the Uncharted series? Naughty Dog set a standard. They came in with the PS3, and were being lauded as a Tomb Raider ripoff. Kinda interesting to see Tomb Raider change their style in favor for the Uncharted style.

Miotch
February 27th, 2013, 9:38 PM
It looks fucking beautiful.

I'll definitely play it at some point, but I don't know that it's a but on release sort of situation.

LOCONUT
February 28th, 2013, 2:54 AM
Early reviews are quite good. This definitely sems likr my kind of game. Ill probably buy it on release.

Excel
February 28th, 2013, 5:48 AM
I was going to wait on it, but since South Park, that was supposed to come out on the same day as this, has been indefinitely delayed thanks to those cunts at ThQ fucking everything up, this has taken its place, so I have preordered it. Really looking forward to it to be honest, and it should tide me over until The Last Of Us is released

Alf
March 4th, 2013, 2:56 PM
It's excellent. I'm about 2-3 hours in and it is brilliant.

It's extremely fluid where I found Uncharted to be clunky. All the mechanics work perfectly. The 'direction' (i.e camera swoops and stuff) work well and don't jar. The charactisation of Lara is excellent. It looks amazing, absolutely amazing. Love all the standard collecting shit and the upgrade shit that is now standard in every game, but at least here it fits.

Hobbit
March 4th, 2013, 5:02 PM
Ordered this earlier today as it's getting good reviews :hyper:

Was terrified it would get hammered like AoD did. Need to finish Far Cry 3 first really. Also good to read that the camera isn't awful, that has been a bane on the series for years.

Excel
March 4th, 2013, 6:39 PM

It's extremely fluid where I found Uncharted to be clunky. All the mechanics work perfectly. The 'direction' (i.e camera swoops and stuff) work well and don't jar. The charactisation of Lara is excellent. It looks amazing, absolutely amazing. Love all the standard collecting shit and the upgrade shit that is now standard in every game, but at least here it fits.
I'm expecting mine to come tomorrow. Looking forward to it even more now.

Olympus
March 4th, 2013, 6:51 PM

Love what I'm hearing here. I've already got this paid off and I'm really looking forward to playing it tomorrow.

turdpower
March 5th, 2013, 3:44 AM
Can you still make her crawl for no reason?

Bert
March 5th, 2013, 3:45 AM
No, crawling is DLC.

turdpower
March 5th, 2013, 5:12 AM
Worth it, I reckon.

Alf
March 5th, 2013, 6:19 AM
You sort of can, you can make her 'scramble' which essentially makes her run like one of the kids from Mama for a bit.

Alf
March 5th, 2013, 6:20 AM
And some of the kill animations are fucking brutal. Like, fucking hell... a big spike through the head and watching her panic and take her last bloody breaths? Blurgh...

Hobbit
March 5th, 2013, 7:26 PM
Any cheats to make her starkers?

Olympus
March 5th, 2013, 10:43 PM
Put about an hour or so into multiplayer tonight. It was a bit clunky... you can't shoot while falling and the "jolt" when you switch to aiming is a little disorienting. Most of the maps seemed pretty nice though.

Excel
March 6th, 2013, 6:26 PM
Given it about 4 hours so far and I'm really enjoying it. I always feel like I'm being totally badass. The island itself has a feeling like the island from lost. Only less dull.

LOCONUT
March 7th, 2013, 3:43 AM
Im a couple hours in and really liking it as well.

What Alf said pretty much. Agree with the LOST feel of the island as well. Not particularly impressed with the characters but the gameplay is outstanding.

Atty
March 7th, 2013, 9:47 AM
OK, I'm quite interested in this game. How would you all say it compares to Uncharted? I know they're obviously similar by default, but I'm thinking in terms of gameplay and story. The idea of runny jumpy climby on an island like the LOST one has me a bit giddy. I've watched some reviews and been impressed at the character development notes and visuals.

Olympus
March 7th, 2013, 9:53 AM
It's hard to say, but the core gameplay is maybe just a hair below Uncharted. It just feels a little looser and the player movement isn't quite as fluid.

Despite the gameplay, I think the multiplayer is loads better than Uncharted.

Alf
March 7th, 2013, 10:24 AM
It's hard to say, but the core gameplay is maybe just a hair below Uncharted. It just feels a little looser and the player movement isn't quite as fluid.

Despite the gameplay, I think the multiplayer is loads better than Uncharted.

I think the player movement is way way more fluid. You feel agile in this and you feel connected to the action rather than in Uncharted where it felt a bit ponderous and slow and clunky.

LOCONUT
March 7th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Im somewhere in the middle. I think the camera is far more fluid, but there is something to be said for the simplicity of the mechanics on Uncharted which I prefer. I prefer the climbing on uncharted but the general running around is better here. The stealth aspect is better here, as is the aiming system for weapons.The graphics are a little tighter here, but the story isnt close to Uncharted 3. I also love the rotating weapons component that TR doesnt employ.

Miotch
March 7th, 2013, 2:11 PM
Josh I'm going to need to borrow this as soon as you're done with it.

Olympus
March 7th, 2013, 3:05 PM
I think the player movement is way way more fluid. You feel agile in this and you feel connected to the action rather than in Uncharted where it felt a bit ponderous and slow and clunky.

I guess I was thinking of the running only. If I'm just running/walking somewhere, I prefer Uncharted, but the jumping, climbing, etc... are really nice here.

LOCONUT
March 7th, 2013, 5:25 PM
The running around is way better here. :wtf:

The camera is glorious.

LOCONUT
March 7th, 2013, 5:26 PM
Josh I'm going to need to borrow this as soon as you're done with it.

Word

Miotch
March 7th, 2013, 5:43 PM
Maybe I'll run through Uncharted 3 first, yeah?

Olympus
March 7th, 2013, 7:25 PM
The running around is way better here. :wtf:

The camera is glorious.

It's adequate... there's a strange jolt switching to aiming mode sometimes, especially in multiplayer.

Atty
March 7th, 2013, 8:48 PM
Why is there even multiplayer in a Tomb Raider game anyway?

LOCONUT
March 7th, 2013, 10:16 PM
Maybe I'll run through Uncharted 3 first, yeah?

Uncharted 3 is the best video game ever in history.

mr sabu
March 8th, 2013, 1:22 AM
just watches lara's death animations for this

fucking brutal

Excel
March 9th, 2013, 5:29 PM
Just completed the single player. Great game. Could have done with the story being a little more grounded but it was good. And I wish it didn't turn into a Rambo movie with the vast swaths of enemies, especially after how the first kill affects Lara, but that's par for the course in a game.

Just had a quick dip in the multiplayer, and its not too bad, but is gonna take some getting used to and some levelling to be any good at it.

The Rogerer
March 9th, 2013, 7:30 PM
Uncharted 3 is the best video game ever in history.It is not even better than Uncharted 2, son

Peter Griffin
March 9th, 2013, 7:45 PM
I like all 3,but yeh I would say 2 was the best, im wondering if there are any plans for Uncharted 4 :chin:

Atty
March 9th, 2013, 9:23 PM
Uncharted 4 will definitely be on PS4. Probably somewhat early in the system's life.

LOCONUT
March 9th, 2013, 9:49 PM
I preferred the story and set pieces of U3 to U2. Otherwise they are essentially the same game...

About 20% done with Tomb Raider and it seems to have become strictly a shoot em up already. Pretty awesome though. I like the weapons a lot although I wish every once in a while you could get a grenade or missle launcher or something...

The axe striking stepped the game up quite a bit from the start.

The Rick
March 9th, 2013, 10:12 PM
Uncharted 4 will definitely be on PS4. Probably somewhat early in the system's life.

I don't know about this. Sony have said that they have some huge titles to unveil for the PS3 at E3. Remeber that God of War 2 came out four months after the PS3 came out. One particular title rumored is Gran Turismo 6.

I should get this game from a friend in a week or so. Good to see many are enjoying it.

Atty
March 10th, 2013, 12:13 AM
I preferred the story and set pieces of U3 to U2. Otherwise they are essentially the same game...

About 20% done with Tomb Raider and it seems to have become strictly a shoot em up already. Pretty awesome though. I like the weapons a lot although I wish every once in a while you could get a grenade or missle launcher or something...

The axe striking stepped the game up quite a bit from the start.

I had pretty much the opposite reaction on Uncharted, but then, 2 blew me right away when I played it. I went into 2 not having played 1 and just wanting to see what it was about. I didn't put the game down. I beat it the following day, having stayed up the whole night hammering away. That's rare and when a game does that, it's something special. From the second Drake woke up bleeding to death on a train dangling off the side of a mountain, it had me. And that was the first minute of the game!

Uncharted 3 is one I intended to go back to in force at some point. I played it when it came out and got most of the trophies, but the great reviews had my expectations too high. That and I came off base lining the first two games in the months prior, so I was probably a bit burnt out. A lot of the pieces of 3 have really stuck with me, so I can see it being one of those things that I absolutely love when I play it with a fresh head.

I don't know about this. Sony have said that they have some huge titles to unveil for the PS3 at E3. Remeber that God of War 2 came out four months after the PS3 came out. One particular title rumored is Gran Turismo 6.

I should get this game from a friend in a week or so. Good to see many are enjoying it.

To be honest here, God of War 2 was a mistake I don't expect them to make again. PS3 came out with a huge price point and no big games and got crushed by the 360 and Wii for years. Holding off a big title, like God of War 2, for a few months would have done the system a world of good right off the bat. Heck, even the PS2 was beating the PS3 for awhile. Uncharted 4 would be a huge launch title to get people, like myself, to adopt the system early on.

With so few exclusives left (discounting Nintendo stuff), Uncharted could really be the big one to toss out around the system's release while people still have questions about the Xbox (and the whole used game thing.)

I picked up Tomb Raider. Haven't gotten around to opening it yet, but am thinking it'll be right up my alley. Really, I've quite admired everything I've seen of it throughout development and am a sucker for limited edition steelbook cases.

LOCONUT
March 10th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Interesting. I actually played U3 before 1 or 2 so it sort of explains my erection for 3.

Doctor Who
March 10th, 2013, 10:23 PM
Would you lot fuck off to an Uncharted thread! They are good games, I'm not shitting on them but this is for talking about Tomb Raider.

Atty
March 10th, 2013, 11:02 PM
Would you lot fuck off to an Uncharted thread! They are good games, I'm not shitting on them but this is for talking about Tomb Raider.

Sorry, your highness.

Interesting. I actually played U3 before 1 or 2 so it sort of explains my erection for 3.

And for me, it would explain my hard on for 2.

Bert
March 10th, 2013, 11:05 PM
I got like an hour or so in and couldn't find a way around some enemies without dying so I took a break. I hide behind a jeep and try to stealth kill people but I always get spotted and shot with what seems to be a sentry gatling gun.

Excel
March 11th, 2013, 8:06 PM
I know the part. Use the bow to take out the light, then the bow to take out as many guys as you can before they figure where you're coming from. Try to take the guy near the gun asap

William
March 14th, 2013, 1:34 PM
Just beat the game myself. First time playing any Tomb Raider game. Decided to give this one a try as it looked interesting. I thought the game was alright. Enjoyable at least. It was a little lacking in the difficulty department, as far as enemies go. Never really died from enemies, as most of my deaths came from failed jumps and failed button mashing. I may go back and play some of the older games in the series. I'm looking forward to the next one.

Miotch
March 14th, 2013, 1:40 PM
How many hours of actual game play do you think you got out of it?

William
March 14th, 2013, 10:27 PM
How many hours of actual game play do you think you got out of it?

Not sure. I was playing for completion, but then said screw it and just went ahead and played straight through to the end. Only missed a few collectibles (only 2 relics, etc.). Playing off and on, it took me around 3 days. Maybe 10-15 hours.

Olympus
March 15th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Even though this multiplayer is pretty bare bones and there are only 5 maps (6 if you count the preorder one in FFA), I really enjoy playing it. I haven't played a shooter online in a long time though, so it could have happened with any game.

It may not seem like much, but getting to lv. 40 after a little over a week is pretty good for me, given how busy I am at work. I'm aiming for the plat on this, so I'm hoping it won't get boring as I prestige.

Peter Griffin
March 15th, 2013, 10:48 AM

:rofl: Brilliant.

JP
May 9th, 2013, 4:51 PM
Finally picked this up today, absolutely loving it so far.

The Rogerer
May 9th, 2013, 5:26 PM
I had a really good time with it, although I got bored when I started to play through for a second time. I went of and played the whole way through the very first Tomb Raider to compare, and I came up with a pretty big list of differences that I'm still working on putting together.