PDA

View Full Version : PlayStation 4 Discussion Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

The Rick
February 19th, 2013, 1:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-3GMHIgR-U

The Rick
February 19th, 2013, 1:53 PM
It is all but confirmed that Sony will be unveiling the PS4 during this presser tomorrow. The press conference will last close to an hour(as speculated by IGN). How much does Sony let out of the bag?

-Pricing
-Specs
-3rd party developers
-Launch titles
-Secondary services
-Various online details

What are your thoughts?

The Rick
February 19th, 2013, 1:59 PM
I think that Sony will announce the PS4, and show a form factor of the console and controller. I'm pretty sure that Sony will wait until E3 to talk about pricing structures. The hardware is pretty much set in stone at this point, but it is hard to tell how much Sony wants to tip their had at this point. There have been "leaks" left and right about their projects the last few years. Does Sony want be the one to show all of this off, or risk a leak later in the year stealing some thunder? I think Sony will at some point in the press conference talk about the online services that the PS4 will provide(ie Netflix, Hulu, etc...), but I see Sony spending too much time in the area too. All the same I'm stoked for the show tomorrow.

With the recent price cut of the Vita in Japan, it might be smart for Sony to lead off or close with the price cut of the Vita for the American and European regions. Just a thought.

Kyle_242
February 19th, 2013, 10:47 PM
It's definitely the PS4. No chance in hell they announce a price. Or a release date...but I do think we'll get a "later this year" timeframe.

Can't see them talking about specs either.

They'll probably have a highlight reel of 1st and 3rd party games (including some stuff that's been announced, like Watch Dogs), what it looks like, the controller, stuff like that. They will definitely talk about services, and any new features the console has (e.g. the rumored "share" button).

Side note, why is everyone so eager to announce everything before E3 these days? Must be a strategic move? Seems like E3 is more the "you know about this, now let's hype it" show.

Also if this is NOT for the PS4, I will laugh my pants right off. Almost as hard as I will if they mention/acknowledge/don't deny existence of the Move.

The Rick
February 19th, 2013, 11:04 PM
Sony showed off specs on the unveiling for all of the Playstations thus far. I just don't know if they want to blow their whole load right now. A slow burn(if possible) would be ideal. Keep putting the PS4 in the minds of the consumers.

I think that move will be mentioned, but I hope it is just a mention. Sony has money invested in Wonderbook, and I think they still think they can make it successful. Even though it ruined their E3 press conference.

Companies are getting away from the console E3 announcements because of the leaks the last few years.

Vice
February 19th, 2013, 11:53 PM
E3 is more about appealing to the investors and shit these days, which is why it's not that great. If you hold your own unveiling ceremony, you can do it your way and get more media attention simply because it's not E3.

Bert
February 20th, 2013, 12:00 AM
I expect them to announce that 2013 will be the Year of The Vita.

Jez
February 20th, 2013, 5:21 AM
Like others have said it's blatantly going to be the reveal of the PS4 or whatever they end up calling it. I expect them to keep it somewhat mysterious and vague to keep the hype strong so I don't expect to see a release date, price or final specs. They'd be stupid not to show off the new controller at least, and I fully expect them to talk about their games and services like the rumoured Gaikai streaming.

I'll be watching the first half hour of this before bed so hopefully they get most of the big announcements out of the way at the start so I can go to sleep satisfied :)

Fro
February 20th, 2013, 6:50 PM
I really hate the idea of a share button. Fuck social media integration into video games. That's stupid.

This starts in like 10 minutes btw. Anyone know where to live stream?

edit

http://www.ustream.tv/PlayStation

Funboy
February 20th, 2013, 7:25 PM
yeah, I just hope that these things aren't forced onto games. I just want a beautiful looking Fallout/GTA/Red Dead game. I don't want PSMove bollocks.
Also that game, Knack, looked terrible.

Vice
February 20th, 2013, 7:25 PM
Fairly impressive machinery and abilities so far. I like the new controller, though I still wish the D-pad and left thumbstick were swapped.

Pablo Diablo
February 20th, 2013, 7:27 PM
Of course the friends list will want real names. Taking ideas from Google are we Sony? Hope it won't be mandatory.

Cewsh
February 20th, 2013, 7:28 PM
This thing looks like a beast machinery wise. All they have to do is keep the buzz positive and they'll be ahead of the next X-Box already.

Fro
February 20th, 2013, 7:31 PM
anyone have a working stream? the ones ive gone to all seem to be down

Vice
February 20th, 2013, 7:31 PM
Is the stream dead?

If not, someone please link me. :B

Edit: ok, not just me.

Fro
February 20th, 2013, 7:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noRJ15T4qb4

seems to be working now but yea its been spotty

Ozanne
February 20th, 2013, 7:32 PM
Mine did the same, try this one:

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/20/watch-sonys-playstation-event-right-here/

Pablo Diablo
February 20th, 2013, 7:33 PM
Mine is going off and on. The one Fro used. Currently up again. When it went down for me apparently we missed stuff about PREDICTION capabilities. Don't really know what it's about but something about pre-loading games related to what you bought or something like that.

Funboy
February 20th, 2013, 7:33 PM
http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/02/14/watch-the-220-playstation-event-on-ign

this lagged a wee bit, but seems grand now

Cewsh
February 20th, 2013, 7:34 PM
http://www.ustream.tv/PlayStation

Mine never stopped working.

Vice
February 20th, 2013, 7:35 PM
:yes:

Funboy
February 20th, 2013, 7:36 PM
spectating/assisting!? meh.

Cewsh
February 20th, 2013, 7:38 PM
Spectating actually sounds fantastic. Friends and I have wished there was a good way to watch games played by each other when we lives states apart for a good while now. And remote play is going to sell me a Vita.

Pablo Diablo
February 20th, 2013, 7:39 PM
Look at him try to sneak in the lack of backwards compatability. Not that I'm surprised really.

Cewsh
February 20th, 2013, 7:40 PM
As long as the store actually stocks a decent number of games you might want, (which has been an issue) it doesn't bother me any.

Funboy
February 20th, 2013, 7:41 PM
See as a younger brother I had to spend a lot of time spectating when I was growing up! I think the machine sounds very impressive, but I just hope I can opt in/out of this interactive/social stuff. I prefer playing with friends locally, and don't play much online. I guess it makes sense for friends far away, but I remain relatively introverted when it comes to gaming. I prefer to get lost in one players and stick to football/shooters with mates when we're in the same room.

Pablo Diablo
February 20th, 2013, 7:44 PM
This is sounding more and more like there will be a complete lack of physical media. Which is going to suck for my bandwidth.

Cewsh
February 20th, 2013, 7:45 PM
I know there are a lot of people who prefer solo or co-op gaming, and the direction things are heading isn't great for them. But nobody is going to force you to share your game videos with anyone. Things tend to be as solo as you make them.

Vice
February 20th, 2013, 7:45 PM
Every now and then someone and I (generally Cewsh) will be chatting on Xbox Live while playing different games, and fairly often we're like "OH MAN YOU GOTTA SEE THIS", whether it's something gorgeous, hilarious, or just bizarre. Describing it is one thing, finding it on YouTube later on is another thing, but spectating? That could be amazing.

Cewsh
February 20th, 2013, 7:46 PM
This is sounding more and more like there will be a complete lack of physical media. Which is going to suck for my bandwidth.

Agreed. I have a 100GB monthly cap. One of the developers just threw out the words "20GB download" which is like poison to me.

Cewsh
February 20th, 2013, 7:46 PM
Every now and then someone and I (generally Cewsh) will be chatting on Xbox Live while playing different games, and fairly often we're like "OH MAN YOU GOTTA SEE THIS", whether it's something gorgeous, hilarious, or just bizarre. Describing it is one thing, finding it on YouTube later on is another thing, but spectating? That could be amazing.

:yes:

Halo had a rudimentary system for it, and went spent hours doing that stuff.

Vice
February 20th, 2013, 7:49 PM
Man. Even with a fairly crappy quality stream, Killzone looks absofuckinglutely gorgeous.

Cewsh
February 20th, 2013, 7:49 PM
Fuck yeah it does. Jesus.

Funboy
February 20th, 2013, 7:50 PM
ign stream is lagging quite a bit :(

Funboy
February 20th, 2013, 7:50 PM
there we are, looks very beautiful.

Cewsh
February 20th, 2013, 7:51 PM
God DAMN this looks good.

Vice
February 20th, 2013, 7:51 PM
This all just makes me lol the Wii U more.

Crikey. Ball is in your court, Mr. Gates.

Vice
February 20th, 2013, 7:52 PM
I'm seriously just waiting for them to say this costs $800 at this point.

Cewsh
February 20th, 2013, 7:54 PM
Yeah seriously.

If they sell this thing for under $500, it's going to mop up.

Funboy
February 20th, 2013, 7:55 PM
when you think that the games will only improve from here, this generation of games could be immense!
have they said how big the hard drives will be yet? orwill you have to store/swap things on/from a cloud?

Pablo Diablo
February 20th, 2013, 7:58 PM
I'd imagine it will sell for $500.

And I wish I had a 100GB cap (ok I have 95). In Canada that's second to top tier. We get destroyed up here.

The Rick
February 20th, 2013, 7:58 PM
God DAMN this looks good.

Yea but it looks like it plays like Killzone 3. If you have a ps3 download the multiplayer(demo) it caps out at level 15. It is a great indication of how the game plays anyway. I like Kilzone 3, but because the characters play so heavy many people don't keep playing it.

Vice
February 20th, 2013, 8:02 PM
I personally don't give a shit about Killzone, but if those graphics are what this system is capable of doing right now, I can't imagine it in 5 years when they actually fully understand the technology.

As long as that wasn't pre-rendered footage, mind you..

The Rick
February 20th, 2013, 8:04 PM
I personally don't give a shit about Killzone, but if those graphics are what this system is capable of doing right now, I can't imagine it in 5 years when they actually fully understand the technology.

As long as that wasn't pre-rendered footage, mind you..

I'll pre-render your footage

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_me62v0i8fc1ryw9z1o1_500.gif

Vice
February 20th, 2013, 8:14 PM
The Witness reminds me of Myst. But made by a crazy person.

Funboy
February 20th, 2013, 8:19 PM
Wow. That face is amazing!! (that reads sarcastically but it's a genuine"wow"!)

The Rick
February 20th, 2013, 8:20 PM
Holy fuck Quantic Dream. I'm interested to see how it all runs with other things going on.

Vice
February 20th, 2013, 8:21 PM
Why did they just draw me barfing? :squint:

The Rick
February 20th, 2013, 8:34 PM
Look at Capcom. New IP, and interesting at that.

Vice
February 20th, 2013, 8:36 PM
JUST GIVE US A FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE ALREADY

The Rick
February 20th, 2013, 8:39 PM
And with those graphics. Zero X4 will still hate it though.

sorry Final Fantasy guy. You have lowered your brand status enough that just mentioning a new Final Fantasy game does nothing for me.

Peter Griffin
February 20th, 2013, 8:47 PM
If someone can hit me up with a highlight video of this tomorrow, id appreciate it :D

Kyle_242
February 20th, 2013, 10:33 PM
Pretty impressive. But all I can think about is how much this monstrosity is going to cost. Sony's never really been on the ball with launch prices.

They'll probably roll out a bunch of different SKU's, with one severely neutered one at a semi-reasonable price. But I don't want that one.

Kyle_242
February 20th, 2013, 10:34 PM
Also, Diablo 3, wtf!?

Fro
February 20th, 2013, 11:06 PM
haha just saw this on reddit

http://i.imgur.com/tNJHTNA.jpg

Pablo Diablo
February 21st, 2013, 12:25 AM
I'm still expecting around a $500 price point. Appears it is coming with a blu-ray drive after all which I gather from http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/02/21/sony-details-playstation-4-processing-specs-dualshock-4-and-eye

Atty
February 21st, 2013, 12:44 AM
Oddly, $500 would be a bargain if it can do all they boast.

Mortalis
February 21st, 2013, 3:30 AM
Apparently one for $429 and one for $529.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/19/playstation-4-price-release-date-reportedly-outed

Cewsh
February 21st, 2013, 3:37 AM
Sounds good to me.

Hlebsfall
February 21st, 2013, 5:59 AM
I was fairly underwhelmed by the whole thing, but then I wasn't expecting much, seeing as this announcement seemed like a bit of a rush job in the first place, to get a jump on Microsoft. Fuck, it doesn't even seem like they've got a design for the actual console.

Killzone looked alright, though the gameplay looked utterly mundane. Convieniently placed chest high cover, and waiting for whack a mole enemies to pop up, just like every other FPS of the last 10 years.

SOCIAL MEDIA, SOCIAL INTERACTION, SOCIAL SOCIAL SOCIAL. Not interested thanks, and as for putting a share button on the controller? Christ.

Trying to push the Move again? No, leave that sort of thing to the Wii. Additionally, that bit where there all started playing music and dancing with the Move avatars was just embarrassing.

Was there any other gameplay shown other than that? Watch Dogs, which has already been confirmed as multi plat. Oh, that driving game which seemed to be a load more forced SOCIAL bollocks. Oh and Wreck or whatever it was called, which looks like it could run on a PS3.

The most promising thing was that Sony have developed dev friendly architecture, so going forward it should be more promising, but last night was a bit of a shambles I thought.

Square Enix coming out just to show a trailer that was shown at E3. Then the big announcement from Blizzard of that massive fucking flop Diablo 3 :lol:

Alf
February 21st, 2013, 6:29 AM
Yeah, all this social bollocks. Does anyone really give a shit?

The Rogerer
February 21st, 2013, 6:33 AM
It was a corporate hardware reveal and it was pretty good at that. The game footage was boring, but all presented game footage is boring. The social stuff was well handled since it's an inevitability. Stuff like Driveclub is the direction of the future in that regard.

My expectation was that Sony was going to shit the bed and they haven't.

8gb DDR5 unified RAM is some serious stuff btw.

The Rick
February 21st, 2013, 9:07 AM
Yeah, all this social bollocks. Does anyone really give a shit?

You're kidding right? Thousands of pieces of gaming footage is uploaded to youtube everyday alone. Hell the two Fifa threads in the asylum will eventually be filled with clips of goals from you lot. You gripe now, but you will use it and probably enjoy it.

Hlebsfall
February 21st, 2013, 9:18 AM
8gb DDR5 unified RAM is some serious stuff btw.

Seems like overkill to me, that they've done it, just because its rumoured the xbox will have the same. I'm hoping this isn't going to be that expensive, at the time the PS3 had new technology like Cell and Blue Ray. The PS4 just has specs of a decent PC from about 18 months ago.

Jez
February 21st, 2013, 9:40 AM
The conference had its good points and its bad points but overall I think Sony have done an amazing job of building hype for their new console so far. If they can keep this momentum going into E3 and beyond they'll easily sell better than the Wii U and probably the new Xbox and become the market leaders once again. I'm not totally sold on the social stuff (I'm not even on Facebook) but the power of the console, the potential in the OS and the best first party support out of the big 3 has got me very excited to buy a PS4 as soon as I can afford one. Hopefully Europe gets one shortly after the rest of the world rather than several months later (not that I'm buying one at launch anyway.)

Out of the games shown/talked about I'm only really interested in inFamous: Second Son, Watch Dogs and maybe Destiny but I figure E3 will show a lot more games so that we can get a good picture of what the launch window looks like.

RuneEdge
February 21st, 2013, 11:01 AM
Seems like overkill to me, that they've done it, just because its rumoured the xbox will have the same. I'm hoping this isn't going to be that expensive, at the time the PS3 had new technology like Cell and Blue Ray. The PS4 just has specs of a decent PC from about 18 months ago.

I imagine most of the RAM would go into use when you do all the multitasking stuff like the social media crap they talked about. All of which I imagine will be accessible whilst in the middle of the game. Plus they talked about some sleep mode where you'll be able to pick up play from exactly where you left off when you turn the console on.

The Rogerer
February 21st, 2013, 11:21 AM
It also represents the end of Sony's grudge of making complex and unorthodox hardware in order to 'force developers to work harder'.

Cewsh
February 21st, 2013, 11:49 AM
I'm not really sure what you could hold against that press conference. I'm not a Sony guy, but really, it was just meant to be a formal announcement of the system and a tech demo. Everything else will be saved for E3 as you'd expect it to be.

I'm hearing all kinds of people complain that more games weren't announced, like this is the forum to do that in. Weird.

The Rogerer
February 21st, 2013, 11:51 AM
There was unreal negativity on twitter, as everyone seemed to want to feel like a child again and that Santa was coming. They did a very good job of clearing up the mess from their massive arrogance with the PS3, and have made what looks to be a good, normal system.

Beer-Belly
February 21st, 2013, 11:58 AM
Hardcore gamers are generally just whiny mouth breathers.

Cewsh
February 21st, 2013, 12:01 PM
So long as Sony doesn't do anything egregious, they'll already be in the lead in the court of public opinion. It really behooves them to play it safe anyway with Nintendo and Microsoft pissing everyone off.

Jez
February 21st, 2013, 12:08 PM
Apparently the PS4 won't be backwards compatible at all meaning all PSN purchases won't be able to be re-downloaded onto the new console. You may be able to stream these games in future with Gaikai but at launch you'll probably want to keep hold of your PS3. I understand why this is the case due to the very different system architectures but this seriously sucks, especially for people who have spent a lot of money on building their collection.

Cewsh
February 21st, 2013, 12:12 PM
Well like you said, if you keep your PS3 what's the issue?

The Rogerer
February 21st, 2013, 12:19 PM
It was no surprise at all. The fate was pretty much sealed when they created the PS3.

Chris
February 21st, 2013, 12:25 PM
I'm very glad that the PS4 won't be blocking used games, and that Sony recognise the continued importance of physical media for many people. If the new X-Box goes down that route, it'll really set the two systems apart. The social stuff doesn't really interest me, but it's not surprising that they've focused on this. Also, if it's a simple interface, then I might actually feel more compelled to share videos of gameplay.

The conference seemed like a nice preview, and left me very interested in seeing more. Job well done.

Mortalis
February 21st, 2013, 12:32 PM
Not really sure how anyone could have expected anymore out of Sony in the press conference. I was honestly expecting alot less, which isn't an insult. I was expecting a PS4 announcement with bare minimum details and saving most everything for E3. I was blown away my all of it. Never really expected Destiny on a PS console with exclusive content to boot. Thats a kick in the ass to Microsoft.

Vice
February 21st, 2013, 12:53 PM
I'm really shocked by the amount of hate the PS4 has been getting so far. I thought more people would be blown away by what it has the potential to do. Everyone seems to be focusing on "well the gameplay looks about the same..","oooh yaaaaaay... floating old guy head... that'll sell games..", etc. Well, the graphics and amount of shit going on in the screen in real time while running perfectly smooth is just bonkers.

With 360 and PS3, I was not blown away at all by the launch titles. When you've had a console that's been out for a long time, you know how to get as much bang for your buck with it because you are so intimate with how the technology works, and exactly what it is capable of. I thought the late Xbox and PS2 games were almost as advanced as the launch 360/PS3 titles. The new ones just looked a bit sharper, but that's about it. PS3 has been out for ages now, so companies know how to do fantastic things with its power (even though it can be hard to work with). But PS4, from what I've seen, absolutely destroys the shit out of PS3. And not early PS3. PS3 at its best. If these early games and tech demos can do this at the beginning of the console's life without developers truly knowing exactly what the PS4 is even capable of.. this next generation could be scary good.

All the Sony "fanboys" I know are completely meh about the PS4 so far, saying they were expecting more. I'm definitely Mr. Microsoft, and I'm practically shitting myself in excitement over what the PS4 can do, and absolutely terrified that the next Xbox won't come even close to this. I don't really care about a single game they announced/showed off, minus Destiny, but the potential is insane.

Cewsh
February 21st, 2013, 1:49 PM
Yep, I'm on the same page here. I really didn't care for the PS3, and I'm Microsoft loyal if anything, but my jaw hit the floor during the tech demos.

Funboy
February 21st, 2013, 5:21 PM
It is fucking ridiculous to think what games will look like in a few years. Watch_Dogs is stunning already, but it could be a launch title, which means gloriousness awaits.
I'm not too tech-savvy so not sure *exactly* what all the internal components do, but others who have more knowledge than I seem very impressed with the hardware. Backwards compatibility is a shame to skip over on, just from an ease of access kind of way; but I'll be keeping the PS3 so no harm done. The more people have argued for the social interaction, the more I'm coming round to it; but I'll still prob opt out of most of it. Great start though, eh?

Hero!
February 21st, 2013, 5:35 PM
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2013/02/21/definition-of-insanity-psn-purchases-game-saves-wont-transfer-to-playstation-4/

No backwards compatibility & no transfers from PSN. Sony's stock took a little fall today, which isn't usually a very good sign after unveiling a new product. Very curious to see what else Sony tells us before this thing actually drops.

Cewsh
February 21st, 2013, 5:38 PM
I genuinely don't understand why lack of backwards compatibility is making that guy freak out so hard. You don't HAVE to buy the game again every fucking time you buy a new system. Keep the old system and show some consumer awareness.

It isn't the height of convinience, but is it really such a big deal that you'd bury a system over it?

Beefy
February 21st, 2013, 5:49 PM
It was never going to have Backwards Compatibility. It's just too different a machine to the PS3. I'm sure we'll see software emulation at some point.

It would be easier to get the PS4 to play Xbox 360 games than PS3 games.

Mortalis
February 21st, 2013, 5:52 PM
Yeah, backwards compatibilty has never been an issue for me. I still have my PS1 for fucks sake. Do people automaticly trash they're old systems when new ones come out or something?

Vice
February 21st, 2013, 5:57 PM
Well, a lot of people trade in old consoles to lessen the cost of the new one. Like Xbox to 360 and PS2 to PS3. It just makes sense, because if you can get $100 or so of credit towards the new system that can do everything the old one can do, plus all the new stuff.. why not? But ever since PS3 stopped having backwards compatibility, and now with PS4 not having any, it's a big judgment call. Safe bet is to just hang on to the old system.

Obviously backwards compatibility is awesome, but I won't crucify a system for not having it, as it's more of a gift than anything. We have become very spoiled.

Beefy
February 21st, 2013, 6:00 PM
BC is a nice to have. My old PS2 is knackered so I've had no way of playing all my games for it since my original PS3 died. That said here aren't many games I'd want to play. My PS3 isn't going anywhere though. In fact I'm still tempted to buy a second one so I can have a Bluray/Netflix box in my bedroom.

hithit
February 21st, 2013, 6:09 PM
why not just buy a wifi enabled blu ray player then beefy? much cheaper. unless you want the gaming choice for you room as well.

Beefy
February 21st, 2013, 6:23 PM
Would that be much cheaper? I've never even seen one of those. Not that I've looked.

They're practically giving the PS3 away nowadays. You can buy one for the price of a big night out and the next day's recovery pizza (the scale I use to assess the price of everything these days)

Hero!
February 21st, 2013, 6:46 PM
Well, I still have a good sized library of ps1/ps2 games, but I don't exactly want to have 3 machines hooked up to a TV. Right now, I have my older systems hooked up in a separate room, on a smaller TV, but if I buy the the ps4, what do I do with my ps3? Buy another TV so I can hook that up and play those games? Switch between the ps3 and ps4 whenever I wanna switch systems? I'm honestly not too bothered, since I probz won't get the ps4 till a few years after release, when it's discounted down, but I'm just speaking for anyone who might have similar issues.

Then again, I still hook up my n64 & GameCube and play those more than my Netflixbox (as I've come to call my ps3) so dafuq do I know?

G-Fresh
February 21st, 2013, 6:47 PM
Hook em up when you want to play them you lazy bitch.

The Rick
February 21st, 2013, 6:48 PM
It was never going to have Backwards Compatibility. It's just too different a machine to the PS3. I'm sure we'll see software emulation at some point.

It would be easier to get the PS4 to play Xbox 360 games than PS3 games.

No backsards compatiblity for the disc games is fine in my book. The lack of transferablility of the PSN games has me vexed. I buy quite a few PSN games, and would like the ability to carry over the games I've purchased online. That's just me though.

Beefy
February 21st, 2013, 6:53 PM
No backsards compatiblity for the disc games is fine in my book. The lack of transferablility of the PSN games has me vexed. I buy quite a few PSN games, and would like the ability to carry over the games I've purchased online. That's just me though.

But the PSN games run on the PS3 through the Cell. Surely if it can't play games from a disc it can't play them from the store either. Unless I'm missing something?

hithit
February 21st, 2013, 6:55 PM
Would that be much cheaper? I've never even seen one of those. Not that I've looked.

They're practically giving the PS3 away nowadays. You can buy one for the price of a big night out and the next day's recovery pizza (the scale I use to assess the price of everything these days)

in the states they run a couple hundred dollars cheaper than a ps3.

Torn
February 21st, 2013, 6:55 PM
But the PSN games run on the PS3 through the Cell. Surely if it can't play games from a disc it can't play them from the store either. Unless I'm missing something?

Nah you are right, they have been built for the PS3 architecture just the same as any other game released. It's up to the devs to port them if they wish.

hithit
February 21st, 2013, 6:59 PM
nevermind. those were bad examples
these seem like a better group, with better prices: http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/blu-ray-players/303_3016_30016_xx_xx/xx-criteria.html

The Rick
February 21st, 2013, 7:00 PM

Yea, but most of those games are also working just fine on Steam, and 360. I don't know if they would have to port it or not. If so, then fine. I just don't have to like it.

Vice
February 21st, 2013, 7:01 PM
I'm really shocked by the amount of hate the PS4 has been getting so far. I thought more people would be blown away by what it has the potential to do. Everyone seems to be focusing on "well the gameplay looks about the same..","oooh yaaaaaay... floating old guy head... that'll sell games..", etc. Well, the graphics and amount of shit going on in the screen in real time while running perfectly smooth is just bonkers.

With 360 and PS3, I was not blown away at all by the launch titles. When you've had a console that's been out for a long time, you know how to get as much bang for your buck with it because you are so intimate with how the technology works, and exactly what it is capable of. I thought the late Xbox and PS2 games were almost as advanced as the launch 360/PS3 titles. The new ones just looked a bit sharper, but that's about it. PS3 has been out for ages now, so companies know how to do fantastic things with its power (even though it can be hard to work with). But PS4, from what I've seen, absolutely destroys the shit out of PS3. And not early PS3. PS3 at its best. If these early games and tech demos can do this at the beginning of the console's life without developers truly knowing exactly what the PS4 is even capable of.. this next generation could be scary good.

All the Sony "fanboys" I know are completely meh about the PS4 so far, saying they were expecting more. I'm definitely Mr. Microsoft, and I'm practically shitting myself in excitement over what the PS4 can do, and absolutely terrified that the next Xbox won't come even close to this. I don't really care about a single game they announced/showed off, minus Destiny, but the potential is insane.

Ok, I just saw a picture someone posted online that goes with what I was saying.

Tagged for size:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-jCsehHsNy38/TgsdheUleRI/AAAAAAAAAOU/ccR9cmjOsh0/s1600/2nrzdcg.jpg

Same console, years apart. The difference is absolutely massive. If PS4 is starting with the graphics of Killzone, then.. fuck. Can't even imagine how good games will potentially look in a few years.

Beefy
February 21st, 2013, 7:07 PM
in the states they run a couple hundred dollars cheaper than a ps3.

But a PS3 is only what $250? Even less for the 12gb version.

Beefy
February 21st, 2013, 7:09 PM
Ok, I just saw a picture someone posted online that goes with what I was saying.

Tagged for size:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-jCsehHsNy38/TgsdheUleRI/AAAAAAAAAOU/ccR9cmjOsh0/s1600/2nrzdcg.jpg

Same console, years apart. The difference is absolutely massive. If PS4 is starting with the graphics of Killzone, then.. fuck. Can't even imagine how good games will potentially look in a few years.

Difference is that the basic architecture of the system this time will mean less sharp a learning curve for developers whp should be able to harness its potential straight away.

Vice
February 21st, 2013, 7:12 PM
Did PS2 have wacky architecture?

G-Fresh
February 21st, 2013, 7:13 PM
The architecture of the PS2 wasn't of this earth. It was alien in nature.

Beefy
February 21st, 2013, 7:14 PM
Not sure about wacky but the Emotion chip was new and I think people took a while to get used to it and find new ways to squeeze more power out of it. The PS4 is just a bog standard gaming PC, in a box.

hithit
February 21st, 2013, 7:16 PM
yea, they are about that. i was thinking why spend it if you don't have to.

Vice
February 21st, 2013, 7:18 PM
Fair enough, Sir Beef. CRUSH ALL MY HOPES WHY DON'T YOU.

Beefy
February 21st, 2013, 7:21 PM
Fair enough, Sir Beef. CRUSH ALL MY HOPES WHY DON'T YOU.

I know nothing. I'm just an idiot with an iPad.

Vice
February 21st, 2013, 7:23 PM
Salt. Wounds.

The Rogerer
February 21st, 2013, 8:28 PM
Did PS2 have wacky architecture?It was pretty crazy. I got to briefly study it in uni as a result although I can't remember the finer details, it was a very distinct and specialised arrangement where it had several units and you were supposed to move things around very quickly between them all the time. I understand the PS1 was an orthodox system, and the PS3 was probably architecturally less weird than the PS2, hence why it struggled to emulate it.

The PS4 will actually have some advantages over PC development, which I vaguely understand but I'm not quite as smart as John Carmack.

The Rogerer
February 21st, 2013, 8:34 PM
On a side note, I have come to terms with backwards compatibility going. I've said before that my urges to preserve all the games forever have caused more anxiety than anything, and then I feel that some things are better left to the memory, and they'll always be emulatable if need be. If I can cope with losing friends and loved ones, I can cope without an old game if I can't find a way to play it.

Hero!
February 21st, 2013, 9:28 PM
Hook em up when you want to play them you lazy bitch.

No way man, I'm too American for that

G-Fresh
February 21st, 2013, 9:54 PM
WE THE PEOPLE

Atty
February 21st, 2013, 10:25 PM
Well, a lot of people trade in old consoles to lessen the cost of the new one. Like Xbox to 360 and PS2 to PS3. It just makes sense, because if you can get $100 or so of credit towards the new system that can do everything the old one can do, plus all the new stuff.. why not? But ever since PS3 stopped having backwards compatibility, and now with PS4 not having any, it's a big judgment call. Safe bet is to just hang on to the old system.

Obviously backwards compatibility is awesome, but I won't crucify a system for not having it, as it's more of a gift than anything. We have become very spoiled.

We're overdue for an HD remake of Uncharted 2 anyway.

Kyle_242
February 21st, 2013, 10:58 PM
The more I associate myself with video games, the less I want to associate myself with gamers. I'm convinced that if Gabe Newell showed up at their door, gave them a bag of blow and hired hookers to give them a blow job while they played an exclusive copy of Half-Life 3, they'd find something to bitch about. "Ehhh...it was okay but I felt some teeth and I definitely saw one seam".

That said (and here, look, gamer!), it would suck to have buy all your PSN shit over again. I'm pretty invested in that thing. The physical media I can give or take.

Vice
February 21st, 2013, 11:19 PM
Blowjobs are distracting, and drugs are bad.

G-Fresh
February 21st, 2013, 11:29 PM
That's why you get really stoned before you get head so you can focus on whatever game yer playin.

Vice
February 21st, 2013, 11:43 PM
Or just.. play sober without a blowjob?

Cewsh
February 21st, 2013, 11:49 PM
It is completely impossible to play games effectively while receiving a blowjob. Full on sex is even worse.

G-Fresh
February 21st, 2013, 11:54 PM
You ain't did enough opiates, young padawan.

Cewsh
February 21st, 2013, 11:55 PM
And yet somehow, I'm fine with that.

Atty
February 21st, 2013, 11:56 PM
It is completely impossible to play games effectively while receiving a blowjob. Full on sex is even worse.

Ha, fag.

Cewsh
February 21st, 2013, 11:57 PM
?

Kyle_242
February 22nd, 2013, 12:15 AM
SEE

G-Fresh
February 22nd, 2013, 12:16 AM
Ha, fag.

Watch out.

Atty
February 22nd, 2013, 12:21 AM
I hereby move that the PS4 controller be given a mouth.

All those in favor?

turdpower
February 22nd, 2013, 3:52 AM
Yeah, backwards compatibilty has never been an issue for me. I still have my PS1 for fucks sake. Do people automaticly trash they're old systems when new ones come out or something?

Well you didn't need a PS1 when you had a PS2 because that was backwards compatible and my PS2 died around the time I got my PS3, so it was a bonus really.

I wonder what will happen to the PS3 now, will they keep the servers live and active, will they keep going with the PSN and store? If they want to sell their product, they'll surely have to shut some of it down?

Hlebsfall
February 22nd, 2013, 6:19 AM
I'm trying to think who would actually want to use that share function. I've narrowed it down to COD gaylords who want to upload quickscoping compilations set to a Linkin Park songs, or those who want to upload glitches, invariably when the new WWE games come out, and you can trawl through a 1000 videos of characters being sucked through the ring.

Jez
February 22nd, 2013, 6:37 AM
We should probably just go ahead and make this the official PS4 thread right? You know "Playstation 4: Discussion"? Would make me happy :)

Just watched the trailer for The Witness, it could be cool too I guess so already the launch line up looks very strong and that's before the event where they're going to highlight the games. Apparently they made The Witness an exclusive due to stronger support from Sony, nothing to do with money.

It seems more and more than Microsoft are going to make the next Xbox a lot more casual/family focused and make it an all-in-one multimedia hub which also plays games. Sony's focus seems to be on the games - the way they emphasized how easy it was to develop for and the strength of the hardware it makes it seem they're going to rely mostly on the "core" audience to sell their platform.

*EDIT* I also wanted to note that the key difference between the new PS Eye and Kinect both being compulsory with their respective consoles is that Microsoft have shown that they believe Kinect to be their best asset. Their last 2 E3 conferences have been focused on upcoming Kinect games with cringe worthy demos and Usher performances. If the new Xbox comes with a Kinect packed in this focus will only increase and since I am yet to see one genuinely good Kinect game this worries me greatly. Not one of the games shown so far for the PS4 make me use my body as the controller so I think it's safe to say Sony's focus is Dualshock controlled games.

I am the same as Cewsh and Vice - I play my 360 way more than my PS3 and prefer it as a platform but the PS4 has done a very good job of convincing me to switch teams next generation. Microsoft have got an awful lot of work to do to change my mind.

Beefy
February 22nd, 2013, 7:25 AM
I'm trying to think who would actually want to use that share function. I've narrowed it down to COD gaylords who want to upload quickscoping compilations set to a Linkin Park songs, or those who want to upload glitches, invariably when the new WWE games come out, and you can trawl through a 1000 videos of characters being sucked through the ring.

To be fair, we'd have used it a lot when we were playing FIFA regularly. Who wouldn't want to share a Simon owngoal or me missing from a yard?

*EDIT* I also wanted to note that the key difference between the new PS Eye and Kinect both being compulsory with their respective consoles is that Microsoft have shown that they believe Kinect to be their best asset. Their last 2 E3 conferences have been focused on upcoming Kinect games with cringe worthy demos and Usher performances. If the new Xbox comes with a Kinect packed in this focus will only increase and since I am yet to see one genuinely good Kinect game this worries me greatly. Not one of the games shown so far for the PS4 make me use my body as the controller so I think it's safe to say Sony's focus is Dualshock controlled games.

Just as it should be. I've barely used the Move but I do recognise that it can add to certain games (Killzone 3, Planet Minigolf). It looks like they're not pushing it but if developers want to use it to provide a different option for controlling the game then they have it there.

Jez
February 22nd, 2013, 7:44 AM
Thanks for making me happy Beefy :heart:

I agree that Sony are entirely right to focus on traditional control methods, while giving options to developers if they want it. This may be the last "traditional" console generation with the rise of cloud gaming and Apple potentially taking over the living room with Apple TV so I want to enjoy games the way I've always enjoyed games for as long as possible.

Fanny
February 22nd, 2013, 8:13 AM

That was the last time I ate pizza or drank beer. I've lost over a stone. Off topic or what.

Beefy
February 22nd, 2013, 8:45 AM
I've had two pizzas this week and I drunk the beers you left here the other night during the football. You're a bad influence.

VHS
February 22nd, 2013, 12:58 PM
After finally watching the PS4 reveal, am I in the minority of people who think while the graphics look breathtaking the games themselves look generic?

The Rogerer
February 22nd, 2013, 1:00 PM
Yeah, but it's just to show off the hardware at this point. The games they chose to display aren't the most engaging things to watch someone else play anyway.

Cewsh
February 22nd, 2013, 1:07 PM
Yeah, this was just for the system. E3 will have the games.

Jaymz
February 23rd, 2013, 12:54 PM
Until I know the price and the release date, I'm not pre-ordering one.

I'm looking at moving out during the summer, and will be requiring a console/home hub for video etc. for a big TV, and was looking to the announcement giving me enough info to justify pre-ordering.

I'll wait for the MS announcement and then maybe go from there

Psycho666Soldier
February 23rd, 2013, 1:06 PM
Just watched the conference. Basically, Sony wants you to consume your life into this machine so you can never worry about the outside world again.

GotDAMN, though, those graphics are fucking TITS!!!

The hardware is incredibly impressive. I like that it's a box "made by game developers, for game developers," but excuse me if I'm cliche, but I don't want this box to do every single little thing. Sure, it's convenient, but it all seems so frivolous and unnecessary! It's a moot point to argue, because it's been the trend in technology for a few years now. Every single device you own should be able to interact with each other, no matter what manufacturer or form of media, and I'm against it, but I can't stop it, and so it will leak into the video game territory.

Still, none of this really matters. If the games turn out to be excellent(which some already look to be), I'll want to play it. I just hope I can stay away from all the facebook-iness of it.

Olympus
February 23rd, 2013, 1:29 PM
This integration into social networking is great, but I maybe have 5-6 people on my Facebook friends list that has a PS3 or a 360 right now. I'm just not a "social gamer" in that sense. So I hope that the PS4 won't be "nerfed" if you don't want to take advantage of those social media aspects.

The Rogerer
February 23rd, 2013, 7:54 PM
Compare to what the PS3 was meant to be when it was released. You could install Linux on it. A prototype had several LAN ports so it could act as a router. They talked about having a cell processor in your fridge. You should get a second job to be able to afford one.

The other thing is that we're not supposed to be able to know what the great games will be for it. When the PS3 came out, we didn't know what Call of Duty would become, Fallout, just about anything.

The Rick
March 7th, 2013, 1:36 PM
Kotaku link (http://kotaku.com/5989103/heres-what-japanese-people-are-saying-about-the-ps4)
by Toshi Nakamura Mar 7, 2013 7:00 AM

Here’s What Japanese People Are Saying About The PS4

Sony announced the PlayStation 4 last month to much fanfare and a complete lack of an actual console. The stone has been cast and now we get to see the ripples. Japanese gaming magazine, Weekly Famitsu conducted a questionnaire between February 22nd and February 26th, where they asked Japanese game fans for their thoughts and opinions on Sony's upcoming console. The questionnaire consisted of 4 questions. Here's what was asked, and a roundup of reader responses:

1. What were your initial impressions of the PS4?
"Developers are saying it's easy to program for so it looks like there'll be a lot of games." Responded a 36 year-old office worker. Of those who responded, roughly half said they were anticipating or highly anticipating the PS4 right out the gate. Some remained reserved, however, voicing concern at the overt focus on the overseas market or the fact that the console would not be compatible with PS3 game discs. A good portion also remained on the fence due to lack of intricate details.

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18gqdmtlu8uc5jpg/medium.jpg

2. What functions or services are you interested in?
Graphics were definitely the biggest point of interest for gamers, and the PS4 does not look to disappoint. Interestingly, however, more than the other additional features, people seemed to be looking forward to the decreased load time thanks to the Suspend Mode that maintains game progress in a low-power mode. This seems to indicate an overall present dissatisfaction having to go through the startup process to load a game in progress each time you power up a machine.

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18gqdlq5dpnjtjpg/medium.jpg

3. What upcoming game titles are you interested in?
Even though nothing of a new game was shown at the February 20th announcement, most Japanese gamers are faithfully expectant of Square Enix's upcoming new Final Fantasy game that will hopefully be officially announced at E3 this year.

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18gqdls4ayhisjpg/medium.jpg

4. What upcoming announcements are you looking forward to?
The pricetag. Or, more accurately, "how hard our wallets are going to be hit" was on the minds of most responders. And with good reason. The original 60GB PS3 shook Japanese buyers down for a hefty ¥59,980 (US$638.49) when it first came out. Sony has remained tight-lipped about the price of the PS4, but hopefully it won't be as costly.
Among people who responded with "other" were the following opinions:
"It looks like there will be a lot more network services, but I'd like to know just how much of them will be available for free. I'd like things that were free for the PS3, like online play, to remain that way." (28 year-old office worker)
"Won't cloud services suffer from network congestion depending on the game genre? I don't understand why they don't just make the PS4 backwards compatible with the PS3." (39 year-old office worker)

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18gqdlu3a4s3pjpg/medium.jpg

The Rick
May 28th, 2013, 11:18 PM
ign link (http://www.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/PlayStation_4_Games)

Confirmed PlayStation 4 Games
These games have been confirmed specifically for PlayStation 4. See below for a list of games confirmed for "next-generation systems," which highly suggests a PlayStation 4 release. Click on any of the games below for more information, videos and screenshots.

Battlefield 4 - EA DICE
Deep Down - Capcom
Destiny - Bungie
Diablo III - Blizzard Entertainment
DriveClub - Evolution Studios
Dying Light - Techland
EA Sports UFC - EA
FIFA Soccer 14 - EA
Final Fantasy (PS4) - Square Enix
Infamous: Second Son - Sucker Punch
Killzone: Shadow Fall - Guerrilla Games
Madden 25 - EA
NBA Live 14 - EA
Need for Speed Rivals - EA
Knack - Studios Japan
Sniper Elite 3 - 505 Games
Thief - Square-Enix 2014
Watch Dogs - UbiSoft Montreal
War Thunder - Gaijin Entertainment Fall 2013
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - CD Projekt RED 2014
The Witness - Thekla, Inc
Blacklight: Retribution - Zombie Studios
Primal Carnage: Genesis - Lukewarm Media
Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag - Ubisoft
Call of Duty: Ghosts - Infinity Ward November 5th, 2013

Just like the Xbox One. More will come from E3.

The Rick
May 29th, 2013, 6:56 PM
kotaku link (http://kotaku.com/sony-president-trolls-everyone-510269752)
JASON SCHREIER Today 10:40am

Sony President Trolls Everyone

For the past few days, passionate PlayStation fans have been waging a campaign to convince Sony not to restrict used games on the PS4.

They've taken to Twitter, posting messages with the hashtag #PS4NoDRM—an acronym for Digital Rights Management, which has become the common term for technology that limits how digital products (like video games) can be used. The campaign's goal: to ensure that we can buy, sell, and borrow games on the PS4 without restriction.

This morning, Sony Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida, one of the few Sony execs who is active on Twitter and hasn't addressed the campaign yet, responded in the best way possible: by trolling everyone.

Shuhei Yoshida @yosp

"Death Ray Manta" coming to PlayStation Vita!

Well played, Sony. The good news is: if Sony executives are joking around about this stuff on Twitter, chances are they don't have anything super-restrictive planned for the PS4. Because if they do, and they're still trolling people... well, those people will riot in the streets.

Bad Collin
June 11th, 2013, 5:04 AM
- £80 cheaper than the Kinect box one
- No restrictions on pre owned games
- No always online requirement
- Final Fantasy XV

Looks like I am back on Team Sony. I have never bought a console on launch day before but if there are decent launch games I will this time.

Jez
June 11th, 2013, 5:18 AM
Absolutely agreed - Microsoft's conference was strong with a load of games, some of which were unexpected. Sony chose to only introduce a few new games we didn't know about but delivered a one-two knockout blow with the announcement of no DRM/no online requirements and a cheaper price. Admittedly its the Kinect thats pushing the price of the XB1 up but chances are a lot of people don't want a mandatory camera, myself included. Now I just need to decide which game I'm getting at launch, leaning towards Watch Dogs I think.

The Rogerer
June 11th, 2013, 5:41 AM
I think some pundits forgot how expensive the upgraded kinect would be as part of the package. If you aren't interested in Kinect you're paying more for a objectively weaker gaming system. I don't think that will make too much of a difference - I think the gap here will practically be much smaller than it was between the 360/PS3 and that was marginal.

I do want to mourn the fact that online play is going to require PS+, but what can you do. At least it doesn't lock stuff like Netflix.

Jez
June 11th, 2013, 5:59 AM
The Xbox One could end up more powerful than the PS4 if the cloud computing turns out to be as game changing as Microsoft are suggesting. The PS4 not requiring online is good for now but if Microsoft in 2-3 years have games which communicate with the cloud and make games better the difference could be massive. By then it may be too little too late for Microsoft though.

The Rogerer
June 11th, 2013, 6:17 AM
I don't think the cloud can add to real time processing. They used 'The Power of the Cloud' with Forza, when it was clearly just uploading some driving data that you'd then share out. I think that's what their cloud will be more about, basically just making uploading/downloading/sharing of data more seamless.

I'm sure it'll be able to do something interesting things if it's a communal space with processing power, but they're allowing the ambiguity of the 'power of the cloud' make it seem like the console itself has a leg up. It'll maybe facilitate the development of a lot of online stuff, but there's nothing stopping the PS4 having the same thing, and I think there are multiple ways to solve those sorts of problems.

Olympus
June 11th, 2013, 7:40 AM
Two things I feel bad about after that conference...

1. Despite the truly AWESOME announcements, there will still be people that will bitch endlessly about having to pay for online multiplayer. Those people need to get over themselves. PS+ is already an amazing service, and it will keep getting better and better as we go. I was afraid there would actually be a price increase for it, but it looks like $49.99 is where it will stay. And even if you don't want to take the plunge, you can still access Netflix, Hulu, Amazon VOD, etc... Smart move there.

2. This was personally my one negative about the presentation. $399 is great... but what do we get for that? HD size? USB ports? Controller in the box? PS Eye 2 in the box? They could give us a "bare bones" system with no peripherals and a standard size (500 GB?) HD for $399. +$50 for a controller? +$50 for the new PS Eye? Will you be able to update the HD like you can with the PS3? With the increase in digital distribution, a 1 TB HD is almost becoming essential. With the Instant Game Collection alone, my 500 GB HD is almost full on my PS3 already.

Before I tell Sony to shut up and take my money, I still kind of want to know what's in the box (haven't checked the internet yet... maybe we already know). Either way, the reaction to the no-online-you-can-share-your-games bit was pretty epic.

EDIT: Just saw that the base model ships with 500 GB for $399. Haven't seen any mention of controller/peripherals, etc...

Hlebsfall
June 11th, 2013, 7:55 AM
http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/11/4417768/playstation-4-ps4-hardware-specificaations-hard-drive-size-eye

You get a controller. No eye toy.

The Rogerer
June 11th, 2013, 8:08 AM
What I heard of the Xbox was that the hard drive wouldn't be removable, but you'd be able to use external drives. My idle guess is that the PS4 hard drive will be user replaceable, here's hoping.

Edit: Shuhei Yoshida confirmed on twitter 'PS4's HDD is upgradable like PS3'

Although 500GB is maybe a bit light, it's nowhere near the equivalent of the 20gb/40gb models last time.

wardy
June 11th, 2013, 8:40 AM
$399? Is that not about £250? Much cheaper than I was expecting.

Jez
June 11th, 2013, 8:56 AM
It will cost £350 over here RRP but remember the US price doesn't include tax whereas the UK price does so the difference in price is not as bad as it appears. If the average US tax rate is 20% (which admittedly is a total guess) that makes their final cost $478 or thereabouts which is £307. Still not equal but much easier to swallow.

For comparison sake:
Xbox One US price pre tax: $499
After 20% tax: $598
Equivalent in Sterling: £384
Actual UK RRP: £429

PS4 mark up = 13.6%
XB1 mark up = 11.7%

Bad Collin
June 11th, 2013, 8:58 AM
The top state tax is 11.7%. We also pay a luxury goods tax of 3.5%

The rest comes down to economies of scale I guess.

The_Mike
June 11th, 2013, 9:09 AM
Indeed, and most states have a much lower tax rate than that. The 20% VAT (and it's a similar figure across Europe) is a big hit, but it doesn't really justify the price gap in my mind, especially as for some reason it's even larger between the US and UK than the US and EU. Economies of scale don't really excuse it either, these things are being shipped all over the world in massive containers anyway, and are virtually identical per unit except for the software. Speaking of which, did Sony mention anything about region-locking?

Kimura Kid
June 11th, 2013, 9:09 AM
E3 2013: Sony's Knock-Out BlowA review of Sony's opening salvo at the end of E3's first day.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/11/e3-2013-sonys-knock-out-blow (http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/11/e3-2013-sonys-knock-out-blow)

R.I.P. Microsoft!

The Rogerer
June 11th, 2013, 9:17 AM
Region free

The_Mike
June 11th, 2013, 9:24 AM
Cheers.

Down goes Microsoft, bah gawd!

Jez
June 11th, 2013, 9:30 AM
Indeed, and most states have a much lower tax rate than that. The 20% VAT (and it's a similar figure across Europe) is a big hit, but it doesn't really justify the price gap in my mind, especially as for some reason it's even larger between the US and UK than the US and EU. Economies of scale don't really excuse it either, these things are being shipped all over the world in massive containers anyway, and are virtually identical per unit except for the software. Speaking of which, did Sony mention anything about region-locking?

Yes they have confirmed on Twitter that it is not region locked. Would it be sensible to import a console then? Or would import taxes make it not worthwhile?

Kimura Kid
June 11th, 2013, 9:41 AM
Here is the updated comparison chart!

http://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_vs._Wii_U_Comparison_Chart

Pablo Diablo
June 11th, 2013, 9:58 AM
Yes they have confirmed on Twitter that it is not region locked. Would it be sensible to import a console then? Or would import taxes make it not worthwhile?

I think the bigger concern is that while in general it's not region locked, I think there is the possibility for certain producers to make their game region locked liked that one Persona game was on the PS3. So it may be safer to just get it from your home region. Plus I'm sure support would be easier if you stay within your region.

Alf
June 11th, 2013, 10:12 AM
This is a good editorial on how I feel about it all:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-11-war-never-changes

It's all a bit "Meh, tell me WHY I should buy one when all I'm seeing is the same old shit?"

Kimura Kid
June 11th, 2013, 10:21 AM
It's all a bit "Meh, tell me WHY I should buy one when all I'm seeing is the same old shit?"

Because if you want to play video games at your house these will be the only devices you'll be able to do so with in the future.

Alf
June 11th, 2013, 10:31 AM
But that's just it. I'm not seeing anything to make me want to, where's the originality? I don't have to buy any of the systems and unless they show me something then I won't.

Kimura Kid
June 11th, 2013, 11:03 AM
Ahh Gotcha.....I'm a gamer. Couldn't imagine not having a system in the house.

Jacknife
June 11th, 2013, 11:49 AM
Just pre-ordered this on amazon, and I have no idea why.

Jez
June 11th, 2013, 11:59 AM
I'm waiting until some bundles are announced, at the moment you can only buy the games for full price and the console separately. I would be very surprised if retailers don't do bundles with the likes of Watch Dogs, AC4 and Killzone possibly with a second controller or the PS Eye. I will hopefully be buying Day 1 though.

Kimura Kid
June 11th, 2013, 12:33 PM
Gamestop has some bundles

Jacknife
June 11th, 2013, 1:53 PM
When I was little, I said to my friend, "Kim, you're a kid!"

Kimura Kid
June 11th, 2013, 1:58 PM
Kim you're a Kid...lol Never heard that 1 before.

Back in the day my username was Xx-The-Icon-xX but when I started competing in online gaming for UFC2009 I had a string of Kimura Submission victories. The community started calling me Kimura Kid, They didn't know I was 24 or so at the time.....most of the community is underage.

VHS
June 11th, 2013, 2:56 PM
Great. :)

VanillaJello
June 11th, 2013, 3:37 PM
Probably going to have to pre-order this one soon.

Jez
June 12th, 2013, 4:03 AM
Gamestop has some bundles

Not in the UK they don't

Simon
June 12th, 2013, 4:34 AM
How much is this gonna cost on release in the UK?

The Rogerer
June 12th, 2013, 4:40 AM
Just torrent it

£349

Simon
June 12th, 2013, 4:43 AM
Nay bawd

Grimario
June 12th, 2013, 6:42 AM
How does the PS3 go for stuff like BBC iPlayer? Or any Australians... ABC iView?

That's almost the #1 bit of use I get out of my Xbox and the PS4 looks destined to be the choice of console next generation.

Also, CLUBS with new people to get annoyed with my lag :yes:

The Rogerer
June 12th, 2013, 7:09 AM
UK wise the PS3 has BBC, ITV and 4oD I think. Xbox has channel 5 jammy bastaaards

Grimario
June 12th, 2013, 7:10 AM
UK wise the PS3 has BBC, ITV and 4oD I think. Xbox has channel 5 jammy bastaaards

I just realised I was on the internet and googled "ABC iView playstation" and there is no dramas whatsoever. Fucking genius, me :yes:

That's pretty much the wifes only concern with my console purchase... "can I still watch iView on it?" :happysad:

Jacknife
June 12th, 2013, 8:19 AM
$399 US isn't bad. The PS3 was $599 upon release, no?

OD50
June 12th, 2013, 8:34 AM
I'll probably get me some PS4 action. Price difference doesn't really concern me but MS deserves a hearty 'Fuck You' me thinks, no?

Besides I was a PS1 and PS2 gamer back in the day.

Jacknife
June 12th, 2013, 8:51 AM
I really hope they let you redownload DLC that you purchased on the PS3 for free on the PS4. For example, I bought Simpsons Arcade Game on the PS3, if they release it on the PS4, it would suck to pay for it again.

The Rogerer
June 12th, 2013, 9:39 AM
It's not going to be compatible. The software was specifically tailored to run on a PS3 and would have to be manually converted to work on a PS4. There likely won't be a universal way for PS3 software to be converted so each game maker would be making a new product.

Jez
June 12th, 2013, 9:54 AM
BUT Sony may enable you to play purchased games in the future with the rollout of Gaikai. I don't imagine all games will be made to run through the Cloud but out of those that are Sony would be very sensible allowing you to play the games you've already bought as an incentive to try the service out.

The Rogerer
June 12th, 2013, 10:21 AM
The one I'm curious about are the PS1 games. They ran in their own terms (and are equivalent to the disc versions), rather than the PS2 games that had to be specifically converted to work on the PS3.

DaSaintFan
June 12th, 2013, 5:05 PM
I really hope they let you redownload DLC that you purchased on the PS3 for free on the PS4. For example, I bought Simpsons Arcade Game on the PS3, if they release it on the PS4, it would suck to pay for it again.

I'm assuming your access will carry over, as your PSN account wouldn't change, so whatever you downloaded previously, you'll still be able to download....

The Rogerer
June 12th, 2013, 5:36 PM
You wouldn't be able to play it on a PS4.

Jacknife
June 12th, 2013, 5:55 PM
Yeah but I mean they will probably update everything to meet PS4 standards, like update the games or whatever they do. Would I need to pay for the updated version or would they allow me to download it for free?

Fro
June 12th, 2013, 10:25 PM
Wait PSN is no longer going to be free if you want to play online on PS4? Fuuuuuuck that

Grimario
June 12th, 2013, 10:33 PM
Or you could get an Xbox One, pay for used games, pay for Xbox Live and have to be online to play anything?

Psycho666Soldier
June 12th, 2013, 10:48 PM
Wait PSN is no longer going to be free if you want to play online on PS4? Fuuuuuuck that

Well the good thing is it's with Playstation Plus, and there are a lot of people who already have Playstation Plus. If I had my own PS3, I would have Playstation Plus. So for many, it won't be any different, but it is still a shame that it won't be free out of the gate anymore.

The Rick
June 12th, 2013, 11:10 PM

Get a Vita, and or 3DS and play with me and Bert.

The Rick
June 12th, 2013, 11:20 PM
Just got done listening to Podcast Beyond episode 297 (http://castroller.com/podcasts/IgncomPodcast/3598310). The special guest was Shuhei Yoshida. They had many questions for him, and while many were corporate non-answers he did have many great answers.
-discussed the mentality going into their press conference, and how they wanted to handle certain aspects of revealing details on the PS4.
-Mentions many of the games, and studios he is excited for.
-talks about his love for platforming games and Mario in specifics.
-reveals that he has at least 2 of every Nintendo console(Including WiiU), so he can play American as well as Japanese games.
-discusses that his first job in the industry was helping on the first Crash Bandicoot.
-as of the podcast, he was only 4hrs into his own play time with The Last of Us.
-likes House of Cards on Netflix

*The audio is NOT as good as usual. They were not using their usual audio equipment.*

BEYOND!

Jez
June 13th, 2013, 8:16 AM
Yeah but I mean they will probably update everything to meet PS4 standards, like update the games or whatever they do. Would I need to pay for the updated version or would they allow me to download it for free?

I would guess that 90% of the games on the PS3 PSN will probably never be released for PS4 and those that are will not be free to those who have already bought them. The only chance of you getting it for free is if the Gaikai stuff is more than just lip service. They can't just "update everything to meet PS4 standards" as the two systems are very very different so it would require emulation (which isn't supported by the PS4) or an entire port which is costly and not worthwhile if the only benefit is that PS3 owners can keep their games.

The Rogerer
June 13th, 2013, 8:25 AM
Yeah but I mean they will probably update everything to meet PS4 standards, like update the games or whatever they do. Would I need to pay for the updated version or would they allow me to download it for free?Jez has just explained this and my posts just before this also do. There will be no unified way to port games over, therefore it would be up to each company to do their own porting, therefore work, therefore money.

Peter Griffin
June 13th, 2013, 8:28 AM
If its that big of a issue, you may as well keep the ps3 as well, not like you will get much for it if you trade it in once the ps4 is released.

Kimura Kid
June 13th, 2013, 9:30 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OegYm1dM9g&feature=player_embedded

Pablo Diablo
June 13th, 2013, 9:39 AM
"Do you want to join my clan."

"Nope you join mine."

Both Sony and Microsoft really know how we talk.

Cubed-Sphere
June 19th, 2013, 2:31 PM
Pretty excited for this. I love when a new generation of consoles really gets going. Already had my pre-order in last Tuesday, the day after Sony's press conference.

The Rogerer
June 19th, 2013, 2:38 PM
I want to join Stylepoint's clan

The Rick
August 20th, 2013, 10:52 PM
gamespot link (http://www.gamespot.com/events/gamescom-2013/playstation-4-launching-november-15-6413242/)
By Eddie Makuch August 20, 2013 11:32AM PDT

PlayStation 4 launching November 15
Sony confirms North American launch date for next-generation console; will come to Europe November 29 and be available in 32 countries this year; more than 1 million consoles preordered.

During its Gamescom 2013 briefing today, Sony announced that the PlayStation 4 will launch in North America on November 15. A European launch will follow on November 29. In total, the console will be available in 32 countries this year.

The next-generation platform will be available for $399 in North America, €399 in Europe, and £349 in the United Kingdom. More than 1 million consoles have been preordered worldwide, Sony added.

Sony also announced today that a 14-day PlayStation Plus subscription will be included with all PS4 systems.

On top of that, Sony announced a partnership with Twitch that will bring the video sharing service to the PS4. Players can press the DualShock 4's "Share" button to broadcast their gameplay directly through their Twitch channels.

Competitor Microsoft has not announced a release date for the Xbox One, confirming only that the system will be released in November for $500.

turdpower
August 21st, 2013, 1:59 AM
What are launch titles going to be like? I got my PS3 in about June 07, when did that launch?

The Rick
August 24th, 2013, 11:40 AM
What are launch titles going to be like? I got my PS3 in about June 07, when did that launch?

The titles below will release between the PS4's November 15 launch date and December 31 (http://www.gamespot.com/gamescom/ps4-launch-window-titles-revealed-6413317/).

NBA 2K14
Call of Duty: Ghosts
Skylanders: Swap Force
Need for Speed: Rivals
Battlefield 4
Madden NFL 25
FIFA 14
NBA Live 14
Killzone: Shadow Fall
DriveClub
Knack
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
Watch Dogs
Just Dance 2014
Lego Marvel Super Heroes

Peter Griffin
August 24th, 2013, 12:05 PM
The titles below will release between the PS4's November 15 launch date and December 31 (http://www.gamespot.com/gamescom/ps4-launch-window-titles-revealed-6413317/).

NBA 2K14
Call of Duty: Ghosts
Skylanders: Swap Force
Need for Speed: Rivals
Battlefield 4
Madden NFL 25
FIFA 14
NBA Live 14
Killzone: Shadow Fall
DriveClub
Knack
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
Watch Dogs
Just Dance 2014
Lego Marvel Super Heroes

Isnt WWE 2K14 coming out on ps4? I thought it was for some reason.

Pablo Diablo
October 11th, 2013, 6:54 AM
So in some absolutely BS news

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2013/10/10/sony-confirms-ps4-headset-compatability-many-will-require-a-future-firmware-update/

When it comes to the Pulse/Pulse Elite headset from Sony, they confirmed that you will have to wait for a future PS4 system update to use them.
Any other headset that relies on bluetooth for chat won’t work at all.
A headset that relies on USB for chat will eventually work following a future system update.
Any headset that relies on digital optical for game audio will work, but you won’t be able to chat yet.

One of the best things about the PS3 was that any bluetooth headset would work. This seems like an unnecessary step backwards. I'm fairly sure the PS4 has bluetooth in it.

blackening
October 31st, 2013, 10:30 PM
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/10/17-things-we-learned-from-sonys-massive-ps4-faq/

So the PS4 will not:
- Support external hard drives
- Play CDs
- Support MP3 or video streaming

So what does everyone think about that? Being able to use an external hard drive and using your PS3 as a media server were two of its greatest strengths over the 360.

Pablo Diablo
October 31st, 2013, 10:38 PM
Were you previously able to install to external hard drives? I never realized.

But it seems like every day more news about the PS4 makes me less excited for it.

The Rick
November 1st, 2013, 1:58 PM
Were you previously able to install to external hard drives? I never realized.

But it seems like every day more news about the PS4 makes me less excited for it.

Same here. I'm sitting out the first year of these consoles. The first year generally has the highest rate of failures. That, and I'm not too terribly jazzed about many of the titles coming up for the first year of each console.

Olympus
November 1st, 2013, 2:57 PM
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/10/17-things-we-learned-from-sonys-massive-ps4-faq/

So the PS4 will not:
- Support external hard drives
- Play CDs
- Support MP3 or video streaming

So what does everyone think about that? Being able to use an external hard drive and using your PS3 as a media server were two of its greatest strengths over the 360.

I never used any of these features, so no. I can understand why people would be upset about the media server stuff though. Do people really play CD's through their game console though?

I am less excited about getting one of these at launch though. The suspend/resume feature and the live streaming/"controller share" feature were two things that I was looking forward to most, and those won't be available at launch.

Pablo Diablo
November 1st, 2013, 3:33 PM
Same here. I'm sitting out the first year of these consoles. The first year generally has the highest rate of failures. That, and I'm not too terribly jazzed about many of the titles coming up for the first year of each console.

I think I will do the same. Give the sports game developers a year to get used to the next gen.

Simon
November 6th, 2013, 8:07 AM
Is there any clue yet as to how the improved specs will impact on online gaming? For example GTA5 on PS3 has a maximum of 16 games per lobby, which is apparently the limit they could reach without it causing problems. Presumably this will be significantly higher on the new console - but how much higher?

Beefy
November 6th, 2013, 8:09 AM
Battlefield 4 is 64 players I think. That seems to be the standard amount being talked about.

Donald
November 6th, 2013, 2:28 PM
I'm going to be putting mine up on ebay. How much do you think they will sell for?

Olympus
November 15th, 2013, 10:02 AM
Anyone else get one of these today, or will be getting one? I don't want to start a whole "Early adopters are retarded" debate, I was just looking for real feedback on how the launch was going from real people. Mine probably won't come until later this afternoon.

Jez
November 15th, 2013, 10:08 AM
I am getting one in two weeks when it launches in Europe - I'm getting the Killzone bundle (not the one with the camera) and even though I know I'm not going to love Killzone I am excited nonetheless. Uncharted was announced last night via a teaser trailer and inFamous Second Son just continues to look more and more awesome so I have plenty to look forward to.

Pablo Diablo
November 15th, 2013, 10:10 AM
I think I'm going to hold out for a bit. Nothing really grabbing me yet. I will eventually get one, but maybe next summer before the next round of sports games.

The Rogerer
November 15th, 2013, 10:11 AM
I've felt less pressure to jump over than I have in previous generations. I've kept an open mind about getting one but I'm just not feeling it. I suppose lauch iteration fears are a bit of that too, I've had a PS3 die and a PS2 laser go (after about 5 years). I also feel like there's nothing being offered that you can't keep going on the current generation with. Then with the lack of media streaming, youtube, etc, I'd still be keeping my PS3 hooked up anyway.

I think PS2 was the most compelling jump at launch. You had stuff like MGS2 coming that would have been impossible on PS1, and a DVD player when that was still a pricey thing to have. Now we have most of the big games also coming out on current consoles with cosmetic differences.

Alf
November 15th, 2013, 10:27 AM
I also feel like there's nothing being offered that you can't keep going on the current generation with.

This is where I'm at. The bump in graphics doesn't bother me at all. I can do all my streaming etc on the current gen... where's the hook?

Jez
November 15th, 2013, 10:33 AM
As a Vita owner I am really pleased with the remote play stuff even if I only anticipate using it on occasion. Also the sharing stuff isn't particularly interesting to me but I'm sure it is to some people. Other than that yeah its basically a more powerful PS3 with a better controller - I can definitely understand why many would be hesitant to make the 'jump' to next gen especially as major titles like MGS5, Thief, Watch Dogs, Titanfall and Gran Turismo 6 are coming to current gen.

The_Mike
November 15th, 2013, 10:40 AM
This is where I'm at. The bump in graphics doesn't bother me at all. I can do all my streaming etc on the current gen... where's the hook?

I've been wondering that myself. The commercials I've seen (at least in the States) are obsessive about the streaming and 'family' functions of the new consoles, and pretty limited in even mentioning the games. In the cinema they've got this waste of space behind the scenes commercial showing you how they shot a live action commercial for Ryse. Why do I care about watching some cameramen film some guys in Roman costumes? How does that sell me an XBox One? Streaming itself is a nice feature but I've been doing that for years on other machines. It seems like the industry just sort of woke up one morning and thought "shit, we have to release a new console because it's just time to do it".

Kimura Kid
November 15th, 2013, 10:53 AM
My brother bought me a PS4 with an extended warranty for helping him get on his feet. Pretty bad ass way to pay me back (Not that he had too) I'm going to pick it up after work. Pretty excited to be honest. Can't wait to get it home and mess around with it. Plus I'm a Sony guy and I've been using the same controller for almost 20 years....can't wait to get my hands on the new one! Gonna pick up Ghost and sink my teeth in to that.

Today's work day is gonna drag!

Donald
November 15th, 2013, 11:15 AM
Mines out for delivery.

Olympus
November 15th, 2013, 1:10 PM
Mine too. UPS usually gets here around 3:00 or so. Better than before I moved... where my area was typically the final area before they headed back.

Atty
November 15th, 2013, 1:20 PM
Anyone else get one of these today, or will be getting one? I don't want to start a whole "Early adopters are retarded" debate, I was just looking for real feedback on how the launch was going from real people. Mine probably won't come until later this afternoon.

I'm holding off for when there's a few big games that I really want. Early PS3s and 360s had enough bugs to them (RROD/YLOD) that I'd prefer t wait until they have a new Uncharted, proper Arkham and maybe MGS 5 if that version gets notably better reviews than the PS3 one.

I built up such a backlog of games this gen (and am looking at Wii U for the new Mario) that I'm set until they run out that huge game that I NEED to buy the system for. With PS3, that happened the day MGS4 came out. With Wii, it was Mario Galaxy day. With 360 it was Halo 4. I suspect PS4 will happen the moment Uncharted 4 is out.

Wii U is actually a good example of this. I had no interest at launch. Now they have an amazing looking Mario coming in a week, a couple side scrolling Marios out, Wind Waker HD (one of my favorite games) and a new Zelda in the pipeline, it's much more appealing. Same will be true of PS4.

Donald
November 15th, 2013, 1:42 PM
Mine too. UPS usually gets here around 3:00 or so. Better than before I moved... where my area was typically the final area before they headed back.

I'm usually the last. My packages come around 6 or so. But I took today off of work just in case as the odd package has come around 12-2 PM

One Man Gang
November 15th, 2013, 4:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcrMpNr1V68&feature=c4-overview&list=UUn0TDqRR4NjwWiAQR9FAd5w

Peter Griffin
November 15th, 2013, 4:15 PM
I'm holding off for when there's a few big games that I really want. Early PS3s and 360s had enough bugs to them (RROD/YLOD) that I'd prefer t wait until they have a new Uncharted, proper Arkham and maybe MGS 5 if that version gets notably better reviews than the PS3 one.

I thought the ps3 MGS was pretty awesome tbf. Agree about a new Uncharted though, also looking forward to Infamous.

Olympus
November 15th, 2013, 5:16 PM
PS4 has arrived and is currently running. Best piece of advice so far... update the system software via USB. Took me 30 seconds instead of potentially 30 minutes.

One initial concern... when I took it out at first, I tilted it from side to side and could hear something moving (or tapping... ?). It sounded like something in the disc drive, but I'm not sure. Does anyone else's do this?

Olympus
November 15th, 2013, 5:38 PM
Can't sign in to PSN with the PS4. However, I can with the PS3.

EDIT: Made it in. The "Please Wait" circle had to go for about two minutes before it finally went. If anyone else is struggling, don't hit "Back" and keep trying... just let the circle do its job.

hithit
November 16th, 2013, 8:54 AM
went and picked mine up after work yesterday. took me forever to be able to get hooked up to the psn.
got battlefield 4 and madden. madden looks absolutely amazing on it, and im loving the way the player franchise mode is run. only having to play the plays your player is in on saves you so much time!
battlefield 4 is absolutely amazing, i love it. played it until about 3 this morning.

Olympus
November 16th, 2013, 9:22 AM
Finally got everything working well last night. Very impressed with Remote Play with the Vita. Did my entire Madden fantasy draft (owner mode) on the Vita. It's the trivial things like that that will be ideal for things like that. The back touch pad isn't as responsive as I hope it would be, so I'm worried about using it in a game (L2/R2 is the top half, L3/R3 are the bottom half), but managing downloads/uploads and doing menu based stuff is excellent.

hithit
November 16th, 2013, 10:35 AM
hopefully at some point today I will get to mess around with this and see what else I can do with it. any cool features I should be checking out?

Kimura Kid
November 16th, 2013, 11:22 AM
I was also considering DL the update to a USB but I didn't have one laying around. Luckily it only took 76 seconds to DL. From there I also had issues signing into the PSN. I kept trying and eventually was able to get in to the PS Store and redeem my codes and buy my PS+ Subscription.

I then realized that my real name was being used because I linked my FB. I panicked because I didn't want people in game to see my real name. Then I realized I selected to only show my PSN ID "In Game" But what about my friends? I don't want them to see my real name either. I only have about 3 friends out of 100 that I know in reality. I unlinked my FB but it still showed my name and I couldn't remove that option....I could change my name but my PSN name is always secondary. This really pissed me off. Then I spent the next 2 hours looking at every option within the "XMB" (if that's what it's still called) to remove this option....nothing.

This made me really pissed!! Why can't I just use my PSN ID??? THIS IS A GAMING SYSTEM NOT A SOCIAL NETWORKING SYSTEM. Then I realized there was an option to share personal info with friends option. lol You have to go to each individual friend and ask if they want to share that info. It can also be removed at any time as well. So by default it will show your PSN Avatar and PSN ID to your friends NOT your Profile Picture and real name from FB.......Even though that's what you'll see.

I know I might sound dense but this really needed to be explained to me. I spent so much time trying to understand this. Because after I thought i set up all my privacy option hidden under recent activity I saw all my PSN friends activity. And it showed their PSN ID's and mine showed my real name. I was like WTF!!! lol

Now I feel dumb....because I actually love the way they have it set up. I love scrolling to my Profile and Seeing my Real name and Profile Pic from FB as well as my PSN ID and Avatar. But I want to be able to select who I want to share that info with. And that's the way it's set up. Just took me 3 hours to figure out. lol

Donald
November 18th, 2013, 1:35 PM
It came on Friday but didn't come with a game. I thought all systems came with a game, even if it was a crappy one? Hoping I'll get a game at Christmas. For now it will be a blu ray player.

turdpower
November 18th, 2013, 1:49 PM
:lol:

Kimura Kid
November 18th, 2013, 1:55 PM
It came on Friday but didn't come with a game. I thought all systems came with a game, even if it was a crappy one? Hoping I'll get a game at Christmas. For now it will be a blu ray player.

:ugh:

Olympus
November 18th, 2013, 2:05 PM
If you're a PS Plus member, there are two "free" games.

LOCONUT
November 18th, 2013, 6:13 PM
Did anyone here get the bricked PS4? Over 650 1-star reviews on Amazon for PS4's that were DOA.

The Rogerer
November 18th, 2013, 6:16 PM
Lots of reports about that, other people firing back that it's an MS smear campaign :lol:

I have read enough accounts through. Even if there's a law of averages, etc, it seems to be a lot louder than usual. Also reports of the thumbpad rubber wearing quickly

hithit
November 23rd, 2013, 8:25 PM
really wish that the turtle beach headset i have for my ps3 would work for the ps4. sucks using that little piece of shit mic you get with the ps4.

Olympus
November 24th, 2013, 9:28 PM
Got mine from Amazon. It's fine.

Donald
November 24th, 2013, 10:46 PM
Sold mine...may get it again when it's $100 cheaper and better games out.

Peter Griffin
November 24th, 2013, 11:22 PM
Sold mine...may get it again when it's $100 cheaper and better games out.

You right in the head? Why did you fucking buy it in the first place?

The_Mike
November 24th, 2013, 11:37 PM
So glad I wasn't an early adopter this gen. The pissing contest with the stupid PC master race crap is annoying, but I still have yet to be convinced of any merit to the next generation consoles at all. Are quality control issues, stripped features and bad policies really worth the slight bump in graphics power? I see no killer apps, I see no genuinely useful new abilities, basically I don't see anything new in this new generation. Obviously lots of people ran out and bought it, though I haven't been hearing of serious shortages like with the Wii, PS3 and 360 launches. Is it really worth it and am I just missing the point?

The Rick
November 25th, 2013, 1:25 AM
Just hype right now. I plan to get a PS4 within the next year, but right now Xbox has a launch game I would want to play(Dead Rising). PS4 doesn't have anything as a retail release. There are a few PSN games I want, but that's not worth me spending ~400 dollars.

I'm right there with you mike. In fact I'm probably going.to pull the trigger on a WiiU before the other two. I played a bit of the new Mario, and it is bliss.

Bad Collin
November 25th, 2013, 5:38 AM
I'm with Mike and Rick. I was a bit jealous when I went round a mates house on Friday and played Dead rising but that passed quick. I have Mass Effect 2 and 3, Far Cry 3, Skyrim dlc and Lost Oddyssey to complete before I think about a new console. I also want to play Tomb Raider and the Assasins Creed games and do another run through of Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

Donald
November 25th, 2013, 9:52 AM
You right in the head? Why did you fucking buy it in the first place?
To sell it at a higher price to make profit?

Peter Griffin
November 25th, 2013, 10:06 AM
Why would anyone be willing to overpay when the next batch is due before xmas right?

Donald
November 25th, 2013, 10:37 AM
Some people are idiots.

Jay
November 29th, 2013, 11:43 AM
Different system, same old server issues.

Mine was delivered at about 10:30am and I haven't been able to log on yet... Just keeps giving me a number of different error messages, basically saying the servers are unavailable.

Beefy
November 29th, 2013, 12:54 PM
A mate of mine is already on his 3rd PS4. First two bricked post-update.

Pablo Diablo
November 29th, 2013, 12:54 PM
Should have expected that though after how the NA launch went.

The servers not the Beefy thing.

Matthew
November 29th, 2013, 1:20 PM
Some people are idiots.
IF YOU ONLY KNEW

really glad i didn't get this yet

Pablo Diablo
November 29th, 2013, 1:26 PM
Yeah I feel bad for everyone having these issues on both this and the XBone. I may wait for them to inevitably release the second incarnation of the system whichever one I get.