PDA

View Full Version : Black Mirror

Simon
February 12th, 2013, 7:15 AM
Surprised to see no thread on this, would have thought at least the first series would have had some discussion...maybe it's in some Charlie Brooker thread I don't know the name of.

Did anyone watch last night's series 2 opener? What did you make of it?

I found that it had a similar thing to the first series, in that it had some really interesting and exciting ideas, but didn't really go anywhere. Hayley Atwell was fantastic and the boyfriend was played well, but it all felt a bit inconsequential, like Brooker hadn't really got beyond the basic idea of "imagine what would happen if this cool premise came to pass". I sort of feel like I enjoyed it, but was also disappointed, which was my reaction to all three episodes of the first series as well. Brooker clearly has a great brain for thinking up the bleak reality of potential new technologies, but beyond that he didn't really tell us much.

I feel a bit wrong in criticising it so much and focusing on the negatives, but it's only because some of the ideas he comes up with are mind-blowing and make you feel like he's going to come up with something genuinely incredible, only for it to fizzle out a bit towards the end. Still well worth watching, but it's more an interesting examination of Brooker's brain than a great story, and it leaves you with more questions than answers - but then maybe that's the point.

Hlebsfall
February 12th, 2013, 7:49 AM
I'm hoping he does an episode where he explores how he managed to convince Konnie Huq to let him throw it up her.

turdpower
February 12th, 2013, 9:37 AM
It's in the Charlie Brooker thread called Charlie Brooker.

JP
February 12th, 2013, 11:30 AM
I thought it was stunningly good, last night. The nature of reality, life, inability to deal with grief, all questioned with a sparsity of dialogue that heightened what was actually said. I found it a much more uncomfortable viewing experience than any of the previous series.

I loved the fact that every piece of technology used in the show seemed not just feasible but not a long way away from what we have available now.

McBain
February 14th, 2013, 4:31 AM
I found it a very depressing watch. Not pleasant at all.

turdpower
February 14th, 2013, 4:40 AM
I think that was the point.

None of these so far have really showed technology and modern culture in a positive light, have they?

McBain
February 14th, 2013, 4:43 AM
But the technology was pretty secondary really, all it did was drag out an hour (or however many years in the story) of grieving.

Not that I'm disagreeing with your point.

MACE
February 14th, 2013, 11:28 AM
That bird had a cracking set of tits.

turdpower
February 14th, 2013, 12:51 PM
But the technology was pretty secondary really, all it did was drag out an hour (or however many years in the story) of grieving.

Not that I'm disagreeing with your point.

A bit like the pig fucking one, but without the technology the story falls down.

StevieV
February 15th, 2013, 5:20 PM
That bird had a cracking set of tits.

Yes. Someone should fetch photos.

turdpower
February 15th, 2013, 6:25 PM
http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/25100000/Hayley-Atwell-Photoshoot-hayley-atwell-25138345-400-530.jpg

MACE
February 16th, 2013, 10:01 PM
YES. :yes:

McBain
February 16th, 2013, 10:03 PM
Excellent norks.

Alf
February 17th, 2013, 2:43 PM
Had a look at some other pics. Looks like they are those horrible big but flat pancake titties.

MACE
February 18th, 2013, 6:31 AM
I'd still squeeze them.

Simon
February 19th, 2013, 6:40 AM
Latest episode was a load of shite. The most entertaining part was the white girl using her bolt cutters to smash open a lock rather than the much easier and more obvious route of cutting the lock. She managed it on the first hit though, so fair play.

Hlebsfall
February 19th, 2013, 11:35 AM
Last night was the first one I've watched, and it was absolute shit. The first 40 minutes was a completely superfluous Running Man rip off, which could have been covered in about 10. Then the last 20 minutes was some wanky, left wing, film student commentary on the glorification of murderers by the media.

turdpower
February 19th, 2013, 3:04 PM
I didn't hate it.

MACE
March 1st, 2013, 6:49 PM
The Waldo one was dog shit.

Slare
March 5th, 2013, 12:51 PM
Yeah the series as a whole was pretty wank there.

Nice ideas, great first 5/10 minutes, then utterly shite execution that went nowhere and bored the fat cunt off me.

Cunt off.

Alf
April 3rd, 2013, 9:35 AM
Just watching the first one of series 2 now. Fucking hell she has banging tits. The concept is good too.

Simon
December 9th, 2014, 9:14 AM
Might as well copy this across from the Christmas thread. New episode airs next Tuesday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDFcTmdQqIc

Slare
December 10th, 2014, 11:39 AM
Just watched the first two series this past week on Netflix actually.

The PM Pig fuck was still great,
Entire History of is bleak but I like it
15 Million Credits is OKish

The grow your dead bf back one was just so sad and bleurgh but was a good watch
The secret murderer theme park one wasnt as good because I knew the twist
Waldo one was fucking wank.

I really want to love it but its just not that great :(

Simon
December 19th, 2014, 6:43 AM
Anyone watch it?

Quite enjoyed this one, but it suffered from the same problem as a few of the other Black Mirror episodes - Brooker is great at coming up with ideas for technological advancements and then imagining the nightmare scenarios that could occur as a result, but not particularly good at the in-between bit, both in terms of the storyline and the logic. It was good fun though, and Jon Hamm was fantastic.

The Rogerer
December 19th, 2014, 6:49 AM
I've never been in the mood to watch them after series 1. Same as the way I never brought myself to watch This is England '88. After the film and '86 I was never quite found myself want to ruin my evening.

I'm very interested in the concepts in them, and like that there's something on TV pushing back against tech culture, but that doesn't mean they're really good. Still really hate the pig fucking episode.

wardy
December 19th, 2014, 7:07 AM
Really enjoyed this and the white bear one. Only ones I've seen.

McBain
December 21st, 2014, 7:56 PM
Thought the white christmas episode was the best yet.

Romford Pele
December 22nd, 2014, 10:40 AM
Havent seen the latest yet, but I thought the theme park and personal remotes were the best ones.

Marlon Dingle
October 19th, 2016, 6:17 AM
Are we all looking forward to the new series on Netflix on Friday?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDiYGjp5iFg

Pablo Diablo
October 27th, 2016, 10:24 PM
So I've watched all 3 series in just over two weeks.

I can definitely see the criticisms of the show, not knowing how to end an episode. But I must say that I quite enjoy the premise for most of the episodes.

Jordo
October 27th, 2016, 11:13 PM
I haven't seen the last episode of the newest season but I don't see anything beating "playtest" or "shut up and dance". Both amazing episodes

mth
October 27th, 2016, 11:19 PM
The wife and I had heard good things about this so we were all geared up to give the show a look but fucking Canadian Netflix only has Season 2 and 3 on it...

Marlon Dingle
October 28th, 2016, 3:21 AM
I've seen a lot of people really praising 'San Junipero' and I thought it was a good episode, but the ending doesnt really sit with me right.

Kelly tells Yorkie that her child and husband died without uploading themselves into San Junipero, and she wanted to do the same. Then out of nowhere, she just decides to do it. Did I miss something, why did she change her mind? Was it stated or are we just suppose to assume she let go of the past and changed her mind so she could be happy for eternity in San Junipero? I just didn't agree with her decision. Living eternity in that place would be hell, and they showed that with Club Quagmire that if you hang around long enough you end up doing twisted shit just to feel something. I couldn't stop thinking about the film 'Death becomes Her' where the two women end up literally falling apart cause they aren't suppose to live forever.

The response online is like 'Oh the twist is there is a happy ending.' But my response is 'this is just a nightmare like every other episode of Black Mirror.'

MikeHunt
October 28th, 2016, 3:41 AM
The wife and I had heard good things about this so we were all geared up to give the show a look but fucking Canadian Netflix only has Season 2 and 3 on it...

Sounds a bit silly but I don't think it really matters. The episodes are in the same universe but are completely stand alone. So in theory it shouldn't really matter what series or episode you start with.

Marlon Dingle
October 28th, 2016, 7:46 AM
It doesn't matter where you start or what order you watch the episodes in. They are all stand alone, with only easter eggs connecting random episodes.

turdpower
December 8th, 2016, 7:16 PM
Surprised more people, including Simon, haven't made more of this.

I basically binged these when they first came out. I really enjoyed it. Shut Up and Dance was my favourite episode (wanking on webcam - not a spoiler happens in first minutes).

Although the last episode was fantastic too.

mth
December 8th, 2016, 7:21 PM
Sounds a bit silly but I don't think it really matters. The episodes are in the same universe but are completely stand alone. So in theory it shouldn't really matter what series or episode you start with.

It doesn't matter where you start or what order you watch the episodes in. They are all stand alone, with only easter eggs connecting random episodes.
Yeah, I came to learn this shortly after that post. So we did end up watching what's available on our Netflix ('White Christmas' and then the 6 episodes of season 3) and are only missing out on 4 episodes from what I gather. And I just want to say HOLY SHIT such a good show. Man, just great, great stuff. Not a bad episode to be found. Have to figure out how to get my hands on the few eps we don't have 'cuz this show is the tits. :yes: Love it.

turdpower
December 8th, 2016, 7:25 PM
My understanding is that all the episodes are on Netflix.

mth
December 8th, 2016, 7:42 PM
Not in Canada. We only have the 7 that I mentioned.

turdpower
December 8th, 2016, 7:49 PM
How very odd. Netflix makes little sense.

Is it stilly easy to Proxy round it? We did that before it got built into our TV. Got into a fantastic thing with Kevin Bacon called the Following which nobody we talk to has ever heard of.

Pablo Diablo
December 8th, 2016, 10:06 PM
You still have 6 episodes mth to watch. 3 from season 1 and 3 from season 2. It is a bit silly how here in Canada they didn't get the full first two seasons.

This show really is good shit.

Romford Pele
December 9th, 2016, 6:35 AM
Just finished Season 3. Fucking brilliant.

Shut up and Dance was probably my favourite - brilliantly done with an unexpected twist at the end.

mth
December 9th, 2016, 12:30 PM
Was going to say earlier that Shut Up and Dance was probably my favorite too. The build/climax of the end with the music and everything, just fantastic.

Fro
December 9th, 2016, 12:32 PM
I watched my first episode of this. It was the one where they all ride on stationary bikes to power their world and earn points and then they can go on an American Idol type show. I thought it was really cool and well done and plan to watch more episodes.

mth
December 13th, 2016, 11:32 PM
:hyper::panic::cheers: The rest of the episodes have popped up on my Netflix this evening. There is still no god but there is some damn good TV to watch.

turdpower
December 14th, 2016, 6:43 PM
:yesyes:

Simon
January 13th, 2018, 6:15 PM
No discussion of the latest series? Only seen the first four so far but:

USS Callister: Great fun, completely bonkers.

Arkangel: A bit dull, most of the ideas have been seen before.

Crocodile: Ugh...bleak even by Black Mirror standards, and didn't feel earned. Not good.

Hang The DJ: Beautiful. The reason I bothered to bump this thread. Brilliantly realized characters, this could easily have been a feature length movie IMO.

mth
January 13th, 2018, 7:37 PM
Commented on it in a different thread:

Yeah, this new season was alright but didn't blow my mind nearly as much as the previous ones. 'Hang the DJ' and the 'USS Callister' were probably the best episodes.

Mr. Boombastic
January 14th, 2018, 1:04 AM
The 4th season was mostly a letdown, but Hang the DJ and Black Museum were very good.

Some of the concepts seemed recycled or too similar to earlier season's episodes.

mth
December 28th, 2018, 9:34 PM
Ok, so Bandersnatch. Holy fuckballs.

Melly
December 28th, 2018, 9:50 PM
Amazing!!! So creative and entertaining!

Matthew
December 29th, 2018, 6:28 PM
the black mirror: bandersnatch thing was pretty fun. liked that they let me try a few different endings without having to rewatch the whole thing.

i'd like to see that genre expand

MikeHunt
December 29th, 2018, 7:19 PM
some dude on reddit watched it for 16 hours straight to see all the different outcomes...

Melly
December 29th, 2018, 8:20 PM
some dude on reddit watched it for 16 hours straight to see all the different outcomes...

Woah.

wardy
December 29th, 2018, 8:27 PM
This is mental.

JP
December 29th, 2018, 10:02 PM
About to watch Bandersnatch, gonna keep a record of my picks...

Frosties
Now 2
Accept
*scene reset*
Refuse
Yes
No (single option forced choice)
Phaedra
Shout at Dad
Visit Dr Haynes
Pull earlobe
Take them
*scene reset - Choice to Follow Colin or Throw them away*
Follow Colin
Yes
Colin
Throw them away
Hit desk
Pick up book
PAC
Throw tea over computer
Branching Path (symbol)
Back off
*scene reset - Choice to Pick up photo or Kill Dad*
Pick up photo
P.A.C.S.
*exit to credit option comes up with choices*
Who's there?
Tell him more
Tell him more
Yeah
Fight her
Kick him in the balls
*option to exit to credits comes up with choice*
Get Rabbit from dad
Toy
No
*all the way back to the Netflix choice*
*all the same choices to get back to a child knowingly travelling to his death*
*credits roll before I get there*

Up until the first time I was offered the chance to go to credits it was simply outstanding. After that, the concept falls apart in a quite shockingly poorly handled way.

Randolph
December 29th, 2018, 11:16 PM
The Netflix choice is a riot. I got the more full experience with mine, although I did choose the more violent routes.

Randolph
December 29th, 2018, 11:17 PM
You really can get a full experience if you choose the right paths. I was satisfied.

Randolph
December 29th, 2018, 11:42 PM
Interactive movie, eh? I can handle this.

frosties or sugar puffs?

https://66.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_me7xd0Sei31rhk593o1_400.gif

JP
December 30th, 2018, 9:32 AM
Thought about this a bit more since last night and my mood towards it has improved quite dramatically.

The "worst" endings are those hat follow the most conventional or morally acceptable paths. Stefan's descent into madness is self-propelled by the watcher. Having read into it a bit more now - I deliberately did not until watching - turned out I got the first two endings because I was so conservative in my choices. Employment is good, take the job. You're unwell, take the pills. You're really really bloody unwell, talk to your bloody Doctor. I approached this as I approach adventure games, I want the best possible outcome for the protagonist but in line with my own moral framework. Both off the times I stuck to that I got boring, unsatisfying endings and the chance to go try again. The game - for that is what it is - is already programming me to know that "winning" is going to be achieved by ignoring convention, whether that's expectation or moral rigidity.

That becomes so important allowing the player access to the "good" endings. I didn't get one. I played on a loop until it kicked me off without me getting remotely close to the 5 star ending. To achieve that you have to choose to kill your dad. But is it your choice, as is it Stefan's choice? The game spends so much time laying down rules, breaking them, setting new and twisted conventions with almost every scene in the run up to that choice you're unsure whether even choosing that would result in that action taking place. But as in adventure games with a timer, I'm not going to choose an option I don't think fits - thematically, logically, morally etc - and so a swathe of content was cut off to me.

Honestly, my head's going to the dozen on this right now, it's so interesting.

Matthew
December 30th, 2018, 10:40 AM
yea i am glad you said that, i don't see how you would think the concept fell apart once you got to the first set of credits. i thought it made it more interesting.

JP
December 30th, 2018, 11:58 AM
Honestly, I don't think I got it immediately. I was too focused one the conventional film aspect of it rather than the wider concept. Once that clicks, it's an entirely different piece of work and much more satisfying and interesting one.

Kev
December 30th, 2018, 3:58 PM
Jesus, this was brilliant.

Only got into this show last month and watched this as well as USS Callister. I dozed off towards the end as the wife nudged me a few times to keep me awake but hooedt after the next few days I can get back into it.

Gangers
August 2nd, 2019, 9:58 AM
Anybody watch the newest episodes? I didn't bother with the Miley Cyrus one because I thought the other two were absolute bollocks. Just way too thin to justify being padded out for 45 minutes, could easily be done with in half that time.