PDA

View Full Version : The Americans

Bert
January 31st, 2013, 6:08 AM
http://i.imgur.com/JrnC9Si.jpg
A 1980s Cold War drama about a group of Soviet KGB officers who have been trained to impersonate American citizens, so that each one can become a sleeper agent, with a cover which may even include an unwitting spouse and family.

Matthew Rhys as Phillip Jennings
Keri Russell as Elizabeth Jennings
Noah Emmerich as Stan Beeman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umQXSzkvlME

Just finished the pilot. I really enjoyed it. It's very interesting and Keri Russel is still very hot.

Give it a chance.

LOCONUT
January 31st, 2013, 12:37 PM
The commercials for this looked excellent. Ill be checking this out for sure.

Funboy
January 31st, 2013, 2:09 PM
I just watched it - liked it a lot. FX have done some great shows, and this looks good. I think it was a little too packed with stuff going on, but again it was the pilot.

Keri is indeed very hot, and I liked/recognize a lot of the other actors.

Overall, I like the idea and the tone. It being in the 80s could make it quite nostalgic. Some of the disguises/wigs were a little hokey, and the "training" scene was somewhat unnecessary. But the two main people are badasses and the fighting/action scenes were pretty good. I will definitely keep watching. Think it could get very tense indeed.

This and The Following have been excellent tv additions this year!

Vice
January 31st, 2013, 3:07 PM
Saw this up for download last night, but knew practically nothing about it. I figured I'd wait and see if Bert made a thread about it, and here we are. Grabbing it now. :yes:

Mark Hammer
January 31st, 2013, 3:33 PM
Downloading episode one as we speak. It better be good Bert. If not then I'm handing out powerbombs.

Mark Hammer
February 1st, 2013, 10:54 AM
Saw the first episode and I thoroughly enjoyed it. This ought to keep me occupied until Breaking Bad and SoA debut their new seasons.

Clutch
February 1st, 2013, 2:11 PM
def. gonna check this one out :yes:

Defrost
February 1st, 2013, 6:58 PM
This feels like the kind of show best marathoned after the season is over

virms
February 1st, 2013, 9:59 PM
In fairness every tv show is better this way.

Mark Hammer
February 1st, 2013, 10:06 PM
First episode shows Keri Russel's butt.

lotjx
February 3rd, 2013, 11:41 AM
I liked it a lot. The BBQ scene made the male lead into a total BA. I thought Keri Russel was going to be the cold hearted character til the last 30 minutes. My problem is that its another show where my heart is going to be in my throat the entire time. I don't know if I can take that. I do think the neighbor next door thing might get old, but the final scene made it seem like it will work.

Judas Iscariot
February 3rd, 2013, 5:05 PM
Gonna check this out.

They shut down a strip of bars and restaurants a few blocks from my house to film this last week. How neat!

Judas Iscariot
February 3rd, 2013, 5:05 PM
Gonna check this out.

They shut down a strip of bars and restaurants a few blocks from my house to film this last week. How neat!

StevieV
February 4th, 2013, 3:22 PM
Enjoyed the first ep.

Interested to see if they keep it up.

Vice
February 5th, 2013, 3:01 AM
Good first episode. I was looking forward to the next episode throughout the last half, but the end of the episode has me salivating. Brilliant ending.

VanillaJello
February 7th, 2013, 12:20 AM
Another solid episode.

Love how brutal they're making Phillip look.

Mark Hammer
February 7th, 2013, 10:18 PM
Yeah, second episode was as good as the first, if not better.

Loved the triangle choke Phillip used on the lady's brother. MMA is influencing Hollywood! Reminded me quite a bit of our Aldo vs Florian bout Bert. :cool:

Vice
February 7th, 2013, 10:35 PM
For me, that scene was less YEAAAAH MMA!, and more ".....why is a ruskie using BJJ in cold war America?"

Still enjoyed it, though. The plot was fairly simple all things considered (a CLOCK), but I liked that. Kept it somewhat real and grounded.

Mark Hammer
February 7th, 2013, 10:41 PM
Well yeah, chances are the Soviets didn't train under the Gracies but it was still cool to see and blatantly influenced by rising awareness of the sport.

LOCONUT
February 19th, 2013, 11:39 AM
This show continues to shine right now. Loving this so far.

Big
February 19th, 2013, 7:31 PM
Yeah, it has been a fantastic show so far.

Gary J
July 25th, 2015, 6:40 PM
Bit late into this but picked up the season 1 dvd for £3. Four episodes in and loving it so far. I don't want to search too much in case I get some stuff spoilt but is it still running? Is it still just as good if so?

LOCONUT
July 25th, 2015, 7:11 PM
It brilliant and still running.

LOCONUT
July 25th, 2015, 7:24 PM
Season 2 was a masterpiece. Stick with it.

Gary J
July 26th, 2015, 5:48 PM
Definitely sticking with it. Loving it so far.

Gary J
August 20th, 2015, 2:40 PM
Season 2 was a masterpiece. Stick with it.

You weren't kidding. The second season was great.

LOCONUT
August 20th, 2015, 3:55 PM
Season 3 wasnt quite as good as 2 but still well worth keeping up with.

Gary J
August 20th, 2015, 4:25 PM
Has season 3 finished then? It started in the UK last night and I've got two ready to watch. But will be downloading / streaming the rest if it's already out there.

Gary J
August 20th, 2015, 4:25 PM
Also I love the actress who plays Nina #GarysWanks

son_of_foley
February 25th, 2018, 5:07 AM
Watching this now. Its pretty decent