PDA

View Full Version : WiiU and friends... eventually

Pages : [1] 2 3

The Rick
January 30th, 2013, 9:26 PM
This thread is for the discussion of the Nintendo WiiU, as well as the Nintendo shop, Virtual console, and other Nintendo related matters excluding the handheld.

Current WiiU Friends

Atty:
blackening: blackening
Fro: Wisdom_God
GBF: joshiscool4ever
kdestiny: kdestiny
Pablo: pdiablo
RuneEdge: TheRuneEdge
S.H. Styles:
T.I (uh oh): Tinders
The Rogerer: SgtLonsdale
The Rick: the_rick098
Version 6: Version_61984

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2013/01/nintendo-wii-u-1-15-13-01.jpg

The Rick
January 30th, 2013, 9:28 PM
I should have started this thread a few months back at T.I.'s suggestion. But it probably would have been left dormant for a while anyway. I still haven't gotten a WiiU, and don't plan on it until mid to late Spring.

The only game worth getting the system is New Super Mario Bros. U. It is a great game, and it is nice seeing Mario getting the HD touch. It is usually enough to get a Nintendo system for, but there are still so many games that I havent' gotten to that Mario isn't quite enough for me yet. But in the Nintendo Direct from last week, there are some really good things coming.

Vice
January 30th, 2013, 9:31 PM
When this gets some better games, I'll probably pick one up. But right now I really can't justify spending the money at all.

The Rick
January 30th, 2013, 9:33 PM
Feature: The Big Wii U Direct Summary
nintnedo life link (http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/01/feature_the_big_wii_u_direct_summary)
by Thomas Whitehead Fri, 25 Jan 2013

Wii U Direct may have only been 35 minutes long, but it sure packed a lot into a short space of time, with a few extra details following in the press releases that followed. We certainly did our level best to cover everything revealed by Iwata-san in the broadcast, as well as information from Nintendo's regional teams, and that's testified by the sheer volume of articles on the subject that flowed within the space of a few hours.

One way to capture the buzz of these mini-E3s — as we're regarding Nintendo Direct broadcasts with this much blockbuster material — is to soak up all of the details as they come out, but just in case some of you missed snippets among the range of articles posted, we thought we'd summarise what happened and provide links to all of the original stories from the immediate aftermath, conveniently in one all-you-can-eat information buffet. So, let's tuck in.

System updates

System updates will speed up the Wii U in Spring and Summer — Satoru Iwata acknowledged the curse of slow menu transitions and loading times on Wii U, issuing an apology and promising that system updates on the way — one in Spring and the other during Summer — will improve the overall experience. These updates will also lay the groundwork for another big arrival...

The Wii U Virtual Console is confirmed and detailed — It had already been spotted in source code, with the rumour making its merry way around the web ahead of the broadcast, but it was still pleasing to see the service officially announced. Arriving after the Spring system update, games will be released gradually as retro titles from systems such as NES, SNES and Game Boy Advance are retro-fitted with Wii U GamePad support, save states and Miiverse integration. The usual prices will apply, though those who've previously owned a game on the Wii Virtual Console will have a chance to buy at heavily reduced prices — $1 for NES and $1.50 for SNES games.

Wii U Virtual Console Trial Campaign and schedule unveiled — In addition to the arrival of the Virtual Console, it was revealed that a 30th Anniversary celebration for the release of the Famicon in Japan would take the form of some tempting, low price retro games. Launching right away with Balloon Fight, a new classic title from the NES or SNES will be released every month until July, available for 30 days at the rather tempting price of just 30 cents/30 pence. An early and cheap opportunity to sample the Virtual Console delights of the new system.

Games, games and more games

The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker is being remade for a Fall release on Wii U — Wind Waker HD had been a familiar cry from a number of Nintendo gamers before almost every Nintendo Direct, joined by requests for GameCube games on the Virtual Console. The latter still eludes us, but the iconic Zelda GameCube title is being re-mastered for release on Wii U this year; some gorgeous screenshots emphasize how good it'll look in HD, along with promises of GamePad optimisation and gameplay tweaks and improvements. A knock-out announcement.

The Legend of Zelda on Wii U aims to shake up the series — We knew that Nintendo was developing a Zelda game for Wii U, how could it not be, so the approach was to talk about the development approach being taken. Time is needed for it to come together — which explains Wind Waker HD — but Eiji Aonuma spoke about rethinking Zelda conventions of linear dungeon progression or playing alone in order to craft a new experience. In his own words, to "get back to basics and create a newborn Zelda game so that the players today can best enjoy the real essence of the franchise."

A new 3D Super Mario platformer is being produced by the Mario Galaxy team, and should be playable at E3 — The Nintendo EAD Tokyo Software Development team is working on a new 3D Mario platformer, no real surprise but a relief considering its exceptional work on the two Super Mario Galaxy titles. No solid details were given, but if it's playable at E3, as is planned, then that bodes well for a potential release in late 2013.

Mario Kart U under development, also set to be playable at E3 — Announced alongside the new Super Mario title was a Wii U entry in the Mario Kart series, which is likewise pegged to be playable at E3. If this isn't a Holiday 2013 release we'll be very surprised.

Yarn Yoshi looks set to pick up where Kirby left off — If anyone was concerned that Yoshi had reached his maximum level of cuteness, then they underestimated the combined powers of Nintendo and developer Good Feel. The team behind Kirby's Epic Yarn is revisiting the theme with the cute green mascot, while Takashi Tezuka — who was behind Yoshi’s Island and Yoshi’s Story — is "pulling the strings"; it promises to be too adorable for the world to handle.

Monolith Soft makes a grand entrance onto the Wii U — An experienced Japanese development studio that's come to greater prominence due to the exceptional Xenoblade Chronicles on Wii had a major part to play; the unveiling of Monolith Soft's Wii U project was a highlight. An impressive trailer showed plenty of gorgeous footage, which looked to be capturing the grand scale of the Wii title. The appearance of a figure resembling Xenoblade Chronicles' protagonist Shulk, along with an X at the end, suggests a possible relation to the memorable JRPG. Whether it is related or not, the footage shown has certainly increased anticipation and eagerness to learn more.

Fire Emblem and Shin-Megami Tensei join forces — A surprise announcement was this collaboration between Nintendo and Atlus, with an RPG cross-over to feature the Fire Emblem and Shin-Megami Tensei franchises. No gameplay footage was shown, but this is likely to be a big boost for Atlus, and Satoru Iwata explained that with modern development challenges we can expect to see more cross-overs and collaborations in the future.

The Wii Party franchise set to get it started again on Wii U — While Wii Party may not be on many "Best Wii Games" lists, it was clearly a big enough success to prompt Nintendo to continue the new franchise on its new system. Due to arrive this Summer, it'll combine the GamePad with Wii Remotes, as well as use the controller's screen for some fun-looking "table-top" style mini-games.

And now for the rest

Platinum Games brings new footage of The Wonderful 101 and goes behind the scenes of Bayonetta 2 — Platinum Games is becoming an increasingly familiar name to Wii U owners, as the developer of surprise exclusive Bayonetta 2 and the delightfully chaotic The Wonderful 101. The latter is still due in the first half of the year, while Bayonetta 2 is TBC, and new footage for both games won't have dulled any enthusiasm for these releases.

Pikmin 3 will give you the chance to see the world from a different perspective — Still due out in the first half of the year, Pikmin 3 had a new feature announced, with a camera mode that lets you view the world from your minion's perspective. Miiverse sharing will of course be possible, so quite a few intimate screens of the world are sure to appear in the game's community.

Wii Fit U to encourage healthy living and weight loss with communities — Wii Fit U is due soon, though a formal release date is yet to be given, and is part of Nintendo's plans to coax more Wii owners towards the new system. It was confirmed that the Miiverse integration will have an extra edge for this release, with players able to create their own user communities from within the game; all the easier to encourage those that miss their punishing targets...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIyU8-XTTLc

Vice
January 30th, 2013, 9:37 PM
WHAT ABOUT METROID?

Seriously, just take Super Metroid and make it fucking gorgeous in HD. By far the easiest way to pry $300+ out of my hands.

T.I (uh oh)
January 30th, 2013, 9:57 PM
I'm as big a Nintendo fan that you'll find, and even I haven't picked up a WiiU yet. Waiting until later this year, when it has more quality software.

I'm hoping that Pikmin & Wonderful 101 release before E3, and that we get a 2013 release for 3D Mario.
Other than that, just show me what Retro is working on, and more of X, and I'm there.

The Rick
January 31st, 2013, 12:54 AM
The HD Wind Waker does gain my interest. The Virtual console games showing on the game pad should have been a day one feature. Hell they touted that at E3. It is nice that its coming over.

Now there is a little piece of new that was discussed on the ign Nintendo Video Chat. You can transfer you Wii games to WiiU no problem. If you want to play them with the new functionality on the gamepad when its patched, however, you will have to pay a small fee for the upgrade. They are rumored to be between .50 - 1.50 USD. Not much for the added functionality, but some are claiming that this should be done for free. I don't think I agree.

Vice
January 31st, 2013, 1:13 AM
Considering the work involved to make it work, plus the added functionality and small price.. yeah. Totally cool with it. Everyone wants everything for free these days.

GeezaTap
January 31st, 2013, 10:23 AM
I gots me a Wii U with NSMB and Nintendo Land for Christmas.

After I semi-finished NSMB (beat Bowser but not got all the gold coins) it's pretty much been gathering dust. Really looking forward to Rayman Legends though.

So far the highlight for me has been the Balloon Fight game on Nintendo Land. Really atmospheric with the changing weather conditions.Gets really tough as well.

And let's not forget Miiverse. It's twitter meets pictionary what's not to love?

Jez
May 2nd, 2013, 6:22 AM
Asda are selling the premium 32GB for £200 and then basic for £150. I am stupidly tempted to buy the premium even though I know there are no games and I can barely afford it. Someone talk me into it/out of it please! I was thinking I could catch up on a few of the Wii games I missed like Skyward Sword while I waited for Nintendo to get their finger out and stop ignoring their newest console.

Hlebsfall
May 2nd, 2013, 6:34 AM
It's shit and has no games. Wait until the PS4 and Nextbox come out and obliterate it even further. They'll be pretty much giving them away by Christmas.

Jez
May 2nd, 2013, 7:08 AM
Yeah I pretty much talked myself out of it, I was essentially buying it for Mario/Zelda which would've been a colossal waste of money. I was already thinking of just buying a PS4 this generation but if I am to own two consoles I don't think the Wii U will be one of them.

I think naming it the Wii U is one of the biggest mistakes Nintendo made, the average consumer hasn't heard of it or will assume it's just an accessory for the Wii like Wii Fit. There's virtually no brand awareness, only a handful of decent exclusives and the hardware is woefully underpowered compared to the next generation of consoles. I really hope Nintendo do something quickly or the Wii U will be seen as a Dreamcast style disaster.

The Rogerer
May 2nd, 2013, 7:35 AM
http://www.empowernetwork.com/mogulmikejackson/files/2013/02/aint-nobody-got-time-for-that.jpg

The Rosk
May 2nd, 2013, 8:55 AM
I love Nintendo but I still haven't got one. The idea behind it has been fucking atrocious, I have no real reason to shell out 200 sheets for it and I don't understand how they thought it would be incredibly popular.

Atty
May 4th, 2013, 11:08 AM
I have no interest in the Wii U. I'll probably get one when they roll out Zelda/Metroid/Mario for it, but I have no reason to want one right now. Plus, there will surely be a price drop by then, especially once PS4 and 720 show up and are massively more powerful.

I played the Mario game on it at stores a few times and did not care for the feel of it at all.

The Doc
May 4th, 2013, 1:45 PM
I'll get a WiiU but I'm gonna wait a year or two when they are a bit cheaper. Eventually all of the heroes will show. Mario and Zelda without a doubt, I'd be shocked if we don't get a Metriod. Bayonetta II will drop and then a few other things drop around it. The upside will ultimately be teh same as it was for the Wii and DS for me. There are things the other systems simply can't do that it can and a few quirky ports that I bet people wish they'd snagged in hindsight. Best part is those things tend to even start out cheap because nobody expected Pheonix Wright to be the hit it was when they brought it out. Elite Beat Agents (seriously how is there no sequel?), Rabbid Rabbits, Scribblenauts. I'm sure that the Wii U will end up with enough games like that to justify it once you get down a bit and the library improves. The 3DS had the same problem. (Seriously why doesn't Nintendo learn it's no good to be first if you have no fucking games? Just wait like everybody else until you have atleast a dozen games, at least one of which must be a must have)

The Rick
May 4th, 2013, 5:19 PM
gamespot link (http://www.gamespot.com/news/3d-mario-for-wii-u-launching-by-october-6407909)
By Eddie Makuch May 3, 2013 7:31AM PDT

3D Mario for Wii U launching by October?
Nintendo reportedly planning to ship new Mario title for struggling system this fall.

Nintendo will ship the all-new 3D Mario for Wii U by October 2013, CVG has learned based on discussions with executive-level retail representatives. No further details were divulged.

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata announced the game during a Nintendo Direct presentation in January. The game will be playable at the 2013 Electronic Entertainment Expo, scheduled for June 11-13 in Los Angeles, California.

Developing the new 3D Mario game for Wii U is Nintendo EAD Tokyo, the team behind Mario Galaxy, Mario Galaxy 2, and Super Mario 3D Land.

The new 3D Mario game is one of many marquee titles Nintendo is looking towards to help spur Wii U sales. Other games coming to the platform in 2013 include Pikmin 3, The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD, and The Wonderful 101.

Also in development for the Wii U are new Mario Kart, Zelda, Smash Bros., and Yoshi games.

The Wii U has struggled thus far, selling 400,000 units in 2013 and 3.45 million systems overall since launch. Nintendo's plan to turn things around includes releasing major first-party titles on a regular basis beginning in August with Pikmin 3 and better communicating the novelty of the system.

The Rick
May 29th, 2013, 10:10 PM
I think this sale goes until Thursday. If you don't have it, Super Metriod is 30 cents on the WiiU e-shop in the US. You would be mad not to take advantage of this deal. So if you have a WiiU

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-S4irpfvSwCc/UZPZdof0ZGI/AAAAAAAADh8/39lCMobSgiA/s1600/Super+Metroid.jpg

LOCONUT
May 29th, 2013, 11:19 PM
Once Mario and Zelda drop I may go pick this up.

The Rick
July 28th, 2013, 1:21 PM
Earthbound is now on the WiiU e-shop. I'm now seriously contemplating getting a WiiU now.

ign link (http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/24/earthbound-review)

EARTHBOUND REVIEW
BOUND FOR GREATNESS.

Reviewed on Wii U
→ JULY 24, 2013 During an introspective moment, EarthBound reminds us that, "There are many difficult times ahead, but you must keep your sense of humor." That quote represents this seminal role-playing game's tone and pacing – it skillfully juggles a noticeable juxtaposition between moments of almost punishingly difficult battle against a dark Lovecraftian apocalypse and silly lightheartedness, and never makes you wait too long between them. Main character Ness and his compatriots combat sentient piles of barf, help two monkeys fall in love, stumble upon a planning meeting for EarthBound 2 (such a tease!), and so much more. It all comes together incredibly well. The true definition of a classic, EarthBound is as amazing and challenging a role-playing game today as it was in 1995.

EarthBound entertainingly wraps traditional RPG tropes in its 1990s setting. The party wields children’s toys like yo-yos, baseball bats, and toy guns to do battle against stray dogs, hippies, skateboardersand plenty of other foes. Rather than using a sparkling point on the ground or a plume of mystical blue light to save your game, Ness finds the nearest payphone to call his dad and record his progress. Money must be withdrawn from the nearest ATM, rather than retrieved from a stash. A number of references to the Beatles, the Blues Brothers, the Who, and plenty of others are dropped throughout, making Earthbound feel like a love letter to 20th-century Americana.

The dichotomy between the serious and the irreverent also carries over to gameplay. While full of bright, cutesy sprites and charming music, EarthBound makes no apologies for being a very traditional (read: difficult) Japanese RPG. It might actually be at its most challenging in the beginning, when Ness is alone and under-equipped. It becomes less brutal as the party grows, but never easy. Inventory space remains incredibly limited, grinding XP is virtually a must, Ness and his friends have frustratingly low combat accuracy, and dying can invoke a pretty steep monetary penalty. While I found the challenge rewarding, it runs the risk of sending newcomers running for the hills.

It'd be nice to at least have some visual stimulation while we're getting beat up on, but there's not much action. All you see is a still image of each enemy and spell effects against pretty psychedelic backgrounds. It isn’t the most exciting thing to watch, but thankfully each character is unique enough to keep decision-making interesting. There are refreshing deviations from RPG tropes, such as Paula's combination of powerful offensive spells with almost no healing ability whatsoever, and Poo's ability to mirror enemies and adopt their attacks. Even if there isn’t much visual feedback, maximizing the group’s abilities is a rewarding experience.
Despite its age, EarthBound introduces innovations that, even today, feel incredibly smart and unique. The party’s health, for example, is represented by scrolling number wheels. Rather than having hitpoints instantly deplete with each enemy attack, the character’s wheel slowly spins down until all the lost hit points have been deducted. So if a character is dealt a fatal blow, there is actually a small window to heal him before he dies – to stop the bleeding, as it were. Watching that wheel spin toward zero while frantically trying to cast a healing spell is nerve wracking, and it amplifies the sudden calm that comes each time the clock is beaten.

And, in a departure from JRPG tradition, there are no random battles. Enemies are always visible on the map, so you won’t have to worry about triggering battles at a bad time (like on your way to heal). Better yet, if the group vastly overpowers an enemy, it'll run away in fear. If you catch it, you'll simply automatically win. This makes revisiting earlier areas an absolute breeze, free of pointless lopsided battles.

BOUND FOR GREATNESS.
Reviewed on Wii U
→ JULY 24, 2013 During an introspective moment, EarthBound reminds us that, "There are many difficult times ahead, but you must keep your sense of humor." That quote represents this seminal role-playing game's tone and pacing – it skillfully juggles a noticeable juxtaposition between moments of almost punishingly difficult battle against a dark Lovecraftian apocalypse and silly lightheartedness, and never makes you wait too long between them. Main character Ness and his compatriots combat sentient piles of barf, help two monkeys fall in love, stumble upon a planning meeting for EarthBound 2 (such a tease!), and so much more. It all comes together incredibly well. The true definition of a classic, EarthBound is as amazing and challenging a role-playing game today as it was in 1995.

EarthBound entertainingly wraps traditional RPG tropes in its 1990s setting. The party wields children’s toys like yo-yos, baseball bats, and toy guns to do battle against stray dogs, hippies, skateboarders
EarthBound
JULY 18, 2013
A downloadable version of the classic Super NES RPG game, Earthbound follows the adventures of a young boy genius who must save the world.
→ MUCH MORE
SCOTT THOMPSON SAYS
EarthBound's peers & successors
and plenty of other foes. Rather than using a sparkling point on the ground or a plume of mystical blue light to save your game, Ness finds the nearest payphone to call his dad and record his progress. Money must be withdrawn from the nearest ATM, rather than retrieved from a stash. A number of references to the Beatles, the Blues Brothers, the Who, and plenty of others are dropped throughout, making Earthbound feel like a love letter to 20th-century Americana.
The dichotomy between the serious and the irreverent also carries over to gameplay. While full of bright, cutesy sprites and charming music, EarthBound makes no apologies for being a very traditional (read: difficult) Japanese RPG. It might actually be at its most challenging in the beginning, when Ness is alone and under-equipped. It becomes less brutal as the party grows, but never easy. Inventory space remains incredibly limited, grinding XP is virtually a must, Ness and his friends have frustratingly low combat accuracy, and dying can invoke a pretty steep monetary penalty. While I found the challenge rewarding, it runs the risk of sending newcomers running for the hills.
It'd be nice to at least have some visual stimulation while we're getting beat up on, but there's not much action. All you see is a still image of each enemy and spell effects against pretty psychedelic backgrounds. It isn’t the most exciting thing to watch, but thankfully each character is unique enough to keep decision-making interesting. There are refreshing deviations from RPG tropes, such as Paula's combination of powerful offensive spells with almost no healing ability whatsoever, and Poo's ability to mirror enemies and adopt their attacks. Even if there isn’t much visual feedback, maximizing the group’s abilities is a rewarding experience.
Despite its age, EarthBound introduces innovations that, even today, feel incredibly smart and unique. The party’s health, for example, is represented by scrolling number wheels. Rather than having hitpoints instantly deplete with each enemy attack, the character’s wheel slowly spins down until all the lost hit points have been deducted. So if a character is dealt a fatal blow, there is actually a small window to heal him before he dies – to stop the bleeding, as it were. Watching that wheel spin toward zero while frantically trying to cast a healing spell is nerve wracking, and it amplifies the sudden calm that comes each time the clock is beaten.
And, in a departure from JRPG tradition, there are no random battles. Enemies are always visible on the map, so you won’t have to worry about triggering battles at a bad time (like on your way to heal). Better yet, if the group vastly overpowers an enemy, it'll run away in fear. If you catch it, you'll simply automatically win. This makes revisiting earlier areas an absolute breeze, free of pointless lopsided battles.

However, the ability to avoid battles is really just an illusion of choice, as dodging combat will leave you vastly under-leveled when it comes time to fight bosses. Also, enemies respawn at a punishing rate. I can't tell you how many times I cleared an area of enemies, only to have them all reappear when the area went slightly off-screen.

It's also a little surprising that the Virtual Console re-release doesn't smooth out some of EarthBound's technical hiccups. When more than two or three enemies are on the screen at once, things begin to stutter and slow down. I always know a large group of enemies is approaching because suddenly Ness is moving at half speed.

But kudos to Nintendo for putting up the entire Player's Guide text online, even if it's a little unfortunate that it isn't included in the actual game itself. It does look nice on the GamePad, but I found that suspending EarthBound and switching to the Wii U's Internet Browser took a little too long. I was better off pulling the guide up on my nearby tablet.

THE VERDICT
EarthBound is one of the most bizarre and memorable RPGs I've ever played. It balances its dark undertones with a sharp wit that is still mostly unrivaled today, and is full of ingenious ideas that buck genre trends. Though its punishing difficulty in its early stages might be tough to get past, EarthBound still remains one of the best, most unique RPGs to date.

AMAZING
EarthBound has aged well, and remains one of the most innovative and unique JRPG experiences around.
+Unique setting
+Great humor
+RPG innovations
+Varied characters
– Very difficult early areas

Kunt 4 Life
August 1st, 2013, 3:03 PM
I think Earthbound would work perfectly on the 3ds. Wonder if it will be added to the 3ds eshop?

The Rogerer
August 1st, 2013, 3:12 PM
I don't think any SNES games come out on the 3DS shop. The screen is too low resolution to display a SNES game so they'd have to properly convert it.

Kunt 4 Life
August 1st, 2013, 3:53 PM
Damn. Thats a shame cause theres an absoulte goldmine of snes games.
I remember when the GBA came out virtualy every other game was a snes conversion.

Fro
August 1st, 2013, 4:10 PM
http://m.ign.com/articles/2013/07/31/exactly-how-bad-is-the-nintendo-situation

Good article on the failing of Wii U and what it means for Nintendo. That's the mobile link cuz I'm on my phone FYI

The Rick
August 1st, 2013, 9:55 PM
Damn. Thats a shame cause theres an absoulte goldmine of snes games.
I remember when the GBA came out virtualy every other game was a snes conversion.

Yep. And in Japan all three "Mother" games appeared on the GBA. While 1&3 would have to be localized(which has been done by numerous fans) Mother 2 would be an easy conversion for the 3ds e-shop.

But it doesn't do Nintendo any good to make that effort yet. The WiiU needs games, and unique experiences, Earthbound is one of them. I absolutely want Earthbound, Golden Sun, Super Mario RPG, and others on my 3ds, but it would be wise to hold those back for the time being. The 3ds is selling like hot cakes, and Nintendo has a nice slate of games lined up for it. The WiiU is hurting horribly.

The Rick
August 6th, 2013, 11:04 PM
gamespot link (http://www.gamespot.com/news/wii-u-3ds-nintendo-direct-tomorrow-6412573)
By Eddie Makuch August 6, 2013 8:26AM PDT

Wii U, 3DS Nintendo Direct tomorrow
Nintendo to hold video presentation August 7 at 7 a.m. PDT for updates on Wii U and 3DS games launching this year.

A Nintendo Direct video presentation tomorrow, August 7, will provide updates on Wii U and 3DS games launching this year, Nintendo announced today.

The Nintendo Direct will take place at 7 a.m. PDT at the company's special website.

High-profile first-party Wii U games due out this year include The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD (October), Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (November), and Super Mario 3D World (December).

New games out for 3DS this year include Pokemon X and Y (October), Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate (October 25), The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (November), and Mario Party (holiday).

The Rick
August 6th, 2013, 11:08 PM
I got to see Pikman 3 in action at Best Buy today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qhzzOBTNKE

I want that game, but it's still not quite enough for me to pull the trigger on a WiiU. They have a Super Mario, and a Mario Land coming. There is now Pikman 3, and a Zelda HD remake coming. With Mario Kart, and Smash Bros. announced I still don't feel like that is enough.

The Rick
August 7th, 2013, 2:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dONco32sHxo#at=110

blackening
August 28th, 2013, 3:16 PM
Starting September 20th the deluxe version of the Wii U is getting a $50 price drop to bring it to $300. There will also be a Zelda bundle featuring a special Zelda-themed GamePad, a digital copy of The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD, and a digital version of the Zelda Hyrule Historia book for the same $300 price. The basic 8GB version is being phased out.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/28/wii-u-price-drop-confirmed

Jarrod1983
August 28th, 2013, 5:37 PM
I will pick one up eventually. I need more of a reason too. I was planning on it for Earthbound but then I found a whole set (game, manual & box) in great condition so I pulled the trigger and got it. Wii U can wait when I have a fully functioning Super NES at home. Eventually though.

Atty
November 5th, 2013, 11:29 PM
I'm starting to think I'll get this before PS4 or One.

Question (that I'm sure I've asked before): Did they sort out the virtual console so that purchases from Wii would transfer to Wii U? I bought a lot of SNES/NES/Sega/N64 games on the Wii and wouldn't want to have to buy them again.

T.I (uh oh)
November 5th, 2013, 11:32 PM
If you still have your Wii, you can run a transfer. Basically involves downloading a transfer app on the Wii - using it - moving the SD card from Wii - WiiU, and running the transfer app on the WiiU.

From what I understand, all Virtual Console & WiiWare goes across fine - except Lost Winds (which is awesome BTW).

Atty
November 6th, 2013, 12:10 AM
Oh cool. Yeah, I dod still have the Wii. Thinking I may jump on the U if there's some Black Friday/Holiday deal.

A couple Marios, Wind Waker and the promise of a new Zelda/Metroid can hook me quickly.

Atty
November 14th, 2013, 11:48 PM
I'll probably be buying the Wind Waker bundle fairly soon, so MORE QUESTIONS!:

When playing games on the virtual console, let's say SNES games, can I play solely on the WiiU display pad like it's a handheld and watch tv?

For a game like New Super Mario Bros U, could I just play on the handheld display from the other room?

Basically, my good tv is in the family room, so could I have the proper system set up there and still be able to go into the bedroom (30 feet away) and keep playing?

Mario 3D World looks fucking brilliant. That's a technical term to describe what I've seen of it. Getting to pop on a goomba suit and Snake around could be the legit best thing ever.

S.H. Styles
November 15th, 2013, 1:04 AM
Yes to all your questions, but I think the farthest distance you can go is about 40-50 feet. Basically the same distance any wireless controller would be.

Atty
November 15th, 2013, 1:08 AM
OK, cool. PS3 controller still works to change the music on MLB: The Show from there, so I should be good. More mobility with Mario and NES/SNES games is actually a fairly huge point to me. One that I'd love Nintendo to make a bigger deal of. It should be especially nice during the holidays when unwanted relatives invade and I can covertly escape while they watch my blurays on my tv.

T.I (uh oh)
November 15th, 2013, 1:27 AM
Some people have experienced difficulty with the range of the WiiU gamepad - I think it depends on the configuration of your house, thickness of walls etc. My place is fairly open-plan, so I can take my gamepad almost everywhere - although it won't reach my bedroom - which is that far away, but does have 2 walls, and a wardrobe in between.

Also, re: Virtual Console games. If you have transferred them from your Wii to WiiU, they can be displayed on the gamepad screen, but you must use a Wii Remote or Classic Controller as your input.
WiiU eShop Virtual Console games can be played off-screen, using the gamepad as the input.

Atty
November 15th, 2013, 1:41 AM
So, I'd have to rebuy games to play on the touchscreen?

T.I (uh oh)
November 15th, 2013, 1:51 AM
You can play them on the touch screen, you just can't use the buttons on the touchscreen controller.

And if you are re-buying, you need to consider that not all games available on the Wii Virtual Console are available on the WiiU Virtual Console.

Atty
November 15th, 2013, 2:09 AM
It's safe to assume that Zeldas, Marios, Metroids, Ninja Gaidens and Punch-Outs are, right?

Atty
November 15th, 2013, 1:25 PM
After looking around, it seems LttP isn't in the Wii U store. Kind of shocking, especially with A Link Between Two Worlds out there. LttP is the main game I was talking about.

Actually, similar question: I know you can still play Wii games, but would you need to use the Wii mote for something like NSMBW or Donkey Kong Country Returns?

Atty
November 15th, 2013, 7:01 PM
I love Nintendo. I bought the Zelda one, got home to hook it up and wanted to give all the small Japanese penises blowies when I found an HDMI cord, stands, a charging stand and other things that anyone else would have had as extras.

Updating the system now and will then download Zelda and Luigi. I'll just run with those until 3D World. Doesn't hurt that Wind Waker is one of my all time favorite games.

Atty
November 15th, 2013, 8:31 PM
Re-re-re-re-re-re-bought Mario World for the U. It's so damn sexy on the gamepad. I'll be rebuying so many games just for it.

Atty
November 22nd, 2013, 6:59 PM
Playing Super Mario 3D World and it's just brilliant. That is all.

bcamp393
November 23rd, 2013, 12:21 PM
Super Mario 3D World is amazing. One of the best games of all time.

Atty
November 23rd, 2013, 8:39 PM
It really is great. I have encountered nothing that I don't love about it. Even the frustrating levels are great, just challenging in a different way then in past games. The structure is suburb and the level design in this (and in Galaxy 2) is really unmatched in the past decade+.

S.H. Styles
November 28th, 2013, 1:12 AM
I never played Zelda: wind waker for GameCube because I never had the console. I just bought wind waker HD and holy shit, it's amazing. The HD graphics are stunning at times. Using the gamepad is fun and more natural than swinging the controller around like you had to do in Skyward Sword.

Guys, get a WiiU. It's definitely worth it.

S.H. Styles
November 28th, 2013, 1:13 AM
It really is great. I have encountered nothing that I don't love about it. Even the frustrating levels are great, just challenging in a different way then in past games. The structure is suburb and the level design in this (and in Galaxy 2) is really unmatched in the past decade+.

Is it a single player story game or multiplayer (or both?) because from what I've read it's supposed to be a co-op game. The Mario galaxy games were amazing in single player.

T.I (uh oh)
November 28th, 2013, 10:06 PM
So what's everyone's Nintendo Network ID?

I'm Tinders and I'm looking for friends to populate my friend list. I'm also up for some Tekken Tag 2 matches if anyone else is keen.

Atty
November 29th, 2013, 10:46 PM
I never played Zelda: wind waker for GameCube because I never had the console. I just bought wind waker HD and holy shit, it's amazing. The HD graphics are stunning at times. Using the gamepad is fun and more natural than swinging the controller around like you had to do in Skyward Sword.

Guys, get a WiiU. It's definitely worth it.

Wind Waker is one of the most underrated games in many ways. There was such a nerd backlash to the image style not being realistic at the time, that many ended up missing a masterful game. I didn't get around to it until the Wii came around and then adored it after dismissing it for years for being cartoony.

Is it a single player story game or multiplayer (or both?) because from what I've read it's supposed to be a co-op game. The Mario galaxy games were amazing in single player.

I ran it in single player and found it brilliant.

S.H. Styles
November 30th, 2013, 1:25 AM
[QUOTE=Atty;7224598]Wind Waker is one of the most underrated games in many ways. There was such a nerd backlash to the image style not being realistic at the time, that many ended up missing a masterful game. I didn't get around to it until the Wii came around and then adored it after dismissing it for years for being cartoony.

It really is, man. I hate to beat a dead horse but the wii u is amazing. For some reason, cartoons like Zelda and Mario in HD just look amazing as hell. People are sleeping on the wii u.

My friends tease and make fun of me for playing it, because it has a stigma that it's for kids, but I've had more fun with the wii u than I've ever had with the 360 so far.

The_Mike
November 30th, 2013, 1:51 AM
I'm considering a Wii U for Christmas. How's multiplayer, online and off? If I wanted to play some basic Virtual Console games with my wife out of the box, would I need to buy other controllers?

Atty
December 1st, 2013, 10:59 AM
If you already have Wii Controllers, no. All Wii stuff works with it. Also, I found out after rebuying Zelda and Mario World, if you transfer your Wii data over, it only costs $1.00 for NES and $1.50 for SNES to update games to play on the Wii U gamepad.

Arkham City was 8 dollars for it on Amazon last night on a Black Friday deal so I now have that for every system. :D

Haven't touched multiplayer, Mike, but I'm actually impressed with the system. Like all Nintendo efforts, it's centered around games and gameplay and that's very welcome to me. Wind Waker in HD is amazing, as is Mario 3D World. Still have to pick up the New Super Mario and Luigi games, but I'm waiting to see if those drop on Cyber Monday at all, as Mario is a year old now. Also, in a very strange turn of events, Bayonetta 2 may be my most anticipated upcoming game. Well, MGS 5 may top it but Bayonetta was loads of fun on the 360 and didn't take itself seriously. I can see some fun control options for this system.

One of the things that is so amazingly nice is using just the gamepad to play games. Family was around here on Thanksgiving, so when it went to watching movies/football, I was able to use the Wii U without bothering anyone and without leaving the room.

LOCONUT
December 1st, 2013, 2:06 PM
Holy shit. I didn't realize it was backwards compatible. This is definitely my christmas present to myself.

LOCONUT
December 4th, 2013, 12:12 AM
So I picked this up today with the Mario bundle. They were sold out of the Wind Waker bundle and I didnt want to wait. Also bought the 3D land. Gamepad is charging now. The gamepad is impressive already and I haven't even turned it on.

The_Mike
December 4th, 2013, 12:40 AM
Thanks for the info, Atty. Tempted but still not 100% sure. My Wii's back at home and my mum's probably using it to watch NCIS or something, so I suppose I'd have to buy my old VC games and another controller. I've been thinking of a Raspberry Pi instead. Just a tiny microcomputer for about $50 including a case and cable, plugged in to the TV. Maybe the Wii U will wait till tax refund season, but I'm not 100% sure either way yet.

The Rogerer
December 4th, 2013, 9:45 AM
Maybe I should get one I don't know?

The other contender is a PS4 or a 3DS. I had a 3DS before but I got rid to eventually get the XL one as I though the build quality/battery on the original was pretty bad.

The thing that worries me about the Wii U is the future.

Jez
December 4th, 2013, 10:48 AM
So you still have the XL? Why would you then buy the normal sized one?

I am also considering getting a Wii U at some point in the next year. Originally I intended to get an XB1 alongside my PS4 but since they're so similar there really isn't much point. I had a 360 and bought a PS3 mostly as a blu-ray player that had some good exclusives. There isn't really any compelling reasons to shell out so much money for a XB1 since I already have a PS4.

The Wii U on the other hand is quite 'different' and I can see me enjoying 3D World, the new Zelda when it comes out and Mario Kart 8. Probably won't bother though.

The Rogerer
December 4th, 2013, 10:49 AM
I meant I got rid of the 3DS with the plan to eventually get a XL, but over a year passed and I never got it.

LOCONUT
December 4th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Super Mario 3d world is absolutely ridiculous. Between that game alone and the backwards compatibility the Wii U is an absolute no brainer for me. So glad I got this.

Jez
December 4th, 2013, 1:06 PM
I meant I got rid of the 3DS with the plan to eventually get a XL, but over a year passed and I never got it.

Ah right I stupidly missed your "eventually." Both the Wii U and 3DS have fallen in price a lot over the last year with some very good value bundles. If they release a bundle with 3D Land for £200 then consider me sold.

The Rogerer
December 4th, 2013, 1:16 PM
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-Handheld-Console-3DS-XL/dp/B00A3Q1FUU/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1386177371&sr=8-6&keywords=3ds+xl How about £185? You should add on the 7 quid for a charger because they didn't put one in the box like bloody nutters but there you go.

Nash Diesel
December 4th, 2013, 2:03 PM
While everyone was killing people and shit for PS4 and XBox One, I've been sitting here thinking fuck them for now and grabbing a WiiU. I've only played it once, back when it was first released I played Super Mario and then some weird Zombie game that was a lot of fun with 2 players where I was able to drop zombies in certain spots, kicked ass. Nintendo has a special place in my heart, Super Mario Bros. is probably my favorite franchise of all time. I still play the shit out of Super Mario on the Wii just recently getting to the secret World 9 after finally going back and collecting all the coins.

Definitely on my wish list.

Atty
December 4th, 2013, 3:12 PM
Super Mario 3d world is absolutely ridiculous. Between that game alone and the backwards compatibility the Wii U is an absolute no brainer for me. So glad I got this.

This.

Video from 3D World looked so good that I jumped on the system just before it was out. Such an amazing game all around. Not just as a great Mario game, but it's actually strikingly original. So refreshing to have a game that's just pure fun with so many games these days trying for dark and edgy. 3D World is such a welcome change in so many ways for me.

Picked up New Super Mario Bros U yesterday and am having a lot of fun with that too. I'd watched quite a few speed runs of it, but the online quality never really showed how beautiful it actually is and how well it plays.

LOCONUT
December 4th, 2013, 3:32 PM
I haven't even opened it yet. I have a feeling it may be a while.

Version 6
December 17th, 2013, 1:22 AM
I have an inkling that my wife has bought one of these for me for Christmas and am pretty bloody excited. Especially now that I know its backwards compatible (had no idea until reading GBF's post).

Do they ever put up old gameboy games on the virtual console. I'd love to be able to play Super Mario Land and SML2 Six Golden Coins for instance.

T.I (uh oh)
December 17th, 2013, 1:42 AM
Gameboy Virtual Console is limited to the 3DS at the moment - although a major firmware update came through last week which linked the 3DS & WiiU accounts, so it shouldn't be too long before both devices have a shared Virtual Console range.

Both SML games are available on 3DS VC at the moment too.

Version 6
December 17th, 2013, 1:49 AM
That's exciting news.

I have fond memories of those games but haven't played either of them in what must be close on 20 years.

Jez
December 17th, 2013, 7:25 AM
No offense T.I but I think you expecting Nintendo to make a unified virtual console is totally unrealistic. Despite many people pleading they did not bring any handheld games to the Wii's virtual console so I don't see why the Wii U would be any different.

The whole unified accounts thing doesn't mean much other than for social purposes and your credit can be shared across two devices. Don't be expecting any cross-buy incentives like Sony do either, Nintendo are woefully behind when it comes to that sort of thing.

And another thing - why haven't they brought Gameboy Advance games to the 3DS after nearly 3 years on the market? They have to know the interest is there but they haven't bothered.

The Rogerer
December 17th, 2013, 9:14 AM
I believe the resolution is too low on the 3DS screens to match the TV output of the NES and SNES, so you couldn't port them without scaling or messing them about somehow.

Absolutely no idea why they're not selling GBA games. Madness.

Version 6
December 18th, 2013, 5:29 PM
No offense T.I but I think you expecting Nintendo to make a unified virtual console is totally unrealistic. Despite many people pleading they did not bring any handheld games to the Wii's virtual console so I don't see why the Wii U would be any different.

Well that's just upsetting.

The Rick
December 18th, 2013, 10:06 PM
I wouldn't rule out the united virtual console library just yet. With the WiiU floundering, I think Nintendo is watching the Christmas sales real close this season. If sales are still terrible, then they might tempt all of the 3DS owners with the idea that they could play their libraries on their spanking HD WiiUs.

Version 6
December 27th, 2013, 8:07 AM
Picked up my wii u today and had a bit of a play around.

Overall, I am thus far impressed. The setup and menu were easy, responsive and intuitive which was one of the great things about the wii and have played about an hour of New Super Mario Bros u which is a lot of fun, and "pick up and play" for a long time Mario fan. The stages look stunning in 1080p.

Also impressed that its backwards compatible, and that Sports Club with online play is free downloadable content. Pretty fucking impressive that.

The gamepad was never the major selling point for me, (rather, the exclusive titles) but if it were, I'd be disappointed. The quality of the screen is a significant downgrade from the current generation of smartphones for instance. I can't see myself being enticed to play any games on there for long periods. I liked the idea of being able to continue a game while the wife or kid were using the telly, but I think its more likely that I'll just save games and pick up where I left off when they go to bed. It's just not good enough to be something you're going to play on regularly.

Overall, happy I picked it up. Not sure what you guys pay overseas, but at $420 for a premium bundle including Mario U (incl. Luigi U) it was a bit of a no-brainer.

Version 6
January 20th, 2014, 7:21 PM
Almost a month on and still in love with this thing. Are you lads still playing?

I picked up Fifa 13 and NBK2K13 on the cheap today to give me a bit of a break from Mario after I finish U.

Jez
January 21st, 2014, 6:42 AM
Argos are now selling the premium console plus Nintendo Land for £180. The price drops on this have been very rapid which can only mean desperation on Nintendo's part - it launched 15 months ago for nearly double the price they're selling them for now. Once again I'm tempted but with such thin third party support I'd essentially be paying £180 for the privilege of playing Mario and Zelda.

Iwata needs to go if Nintendo has any chance of competing in the home console market.

The Rosk
January 21st, 2014, 7:24 AM
Is this worth getting yet?

I don't have shitloads of spare time and haven't even touched Skyward Sword yet but I do bloody love Nintendo.

Version 6
January 21st, 2014, 7:27 AM
Argos are now selling the premium console plus Nintendo Land for £180. The price drops on this have been very rapid which can only mean desperation on Nintendo's part - it launched 15 months ago for nearly double the price they're selling them for now. Once again I'm tempted but with such thin third party support I'd essentially be paying £180 for the privilege of playing Mario and Zelda.

Iwata needs to go if Nintendo has any chance of competing in the home console market.

That's Nintendo consoles though, innit?

You buy them for their native titles. For mine the third party games are a bonus.

Jez
January 21st, 2014, 7:59 AM
Very true I must admit, the Wii had virtually no third party exclusives and those it did have were either shovelware or just crap. Unfortunately I need more of an incentive to buy one than Mario and Zelda, as fun as they are, if I'm going to spend that much money.

T.I (uh oh)
January 21st, 2014, 8:31 AM
All depends what you're after Jez. I think Wii had some pretty good 3rd party exclusives. It was very Japanese-centric mind you, with Monster Hunter, No More Heroes, Trauma Center etc. I suppose if you are looking for the big Western franchises, then yeah, you're gonna be disappointed.

As for WiiU - I love mine. I still haven't picked up 3D World or Pikmin - but I'm still stuck in my backlog, so it's all good. Finished The Wonderful 101 recently - it's such an awesome game. No idea why Nintendo didn't market it more. Platinum Games are in a league of their own when it comes to action titles - I really hope that Nintendo continue to work with them. Also, trying to get through ZombiU. I love the idea of it, but it has some very old-school design choices, and is downright terrifying, which has made it a struggle for me to get through.

Also chipping away at Luigi U. This thing is god-tier 2d platforming. The speed and precision required for some of the levels is so satisfying to pull off. It's games like this which re-enforce my belief that the (2d) platforming is exclusive to Nintendo and indies, because none of the other publishers have the skill to match it with Nintendo in that space. It would be nice if I could say that about more genres - but I do love platformers, so I'm not too down on it.

Version 6
January 21st, 2014, 6:17 PM
Very true I must admit, the Wii had virtually no third party exclusives and those it did have were either shovelware or just crap. Unfortunately I need more of an incentive to buy one than Mario and Zelda, as fun as they are, if I'm going to spend that much money.

Well there's more than enough to keep me interested and to make it worthwhile for me. But then again, I'm not really a hardcore gamer and I'm not one to be affected by the differences of a third party game as between the wii u and the more powerful consoles. And I've got the XBox 360 for streaming, so for me, the wii u is perfect.

Version 6
January 21st, 2014, 6:18 PM
Also chipping away at Luigi U. This thing is god-tier 2d platforming. The speed and precision required for some of the levels is so satisfying to pull off. It's games like this which re-enforce my belief that the (2d) platforming is exclusive to Nintendo and indies, because none of the other publishers have the skill to match it with Nintendo in that space. It would be nice if I could say that about more genres - but I do love platformers, so I'm not too down on it.

I'm about 70% through Mario U and can't see myself going back to do Luigi U for some time.

Are the levels pretty much the same but with slight mods to suit Luigi's style?

Atty
January 21st, 2014, 6:23 PM
Same map, but the levels are totally different. And you only have 099 seconds on each, which changes play style a fair bit.

Version 6
January 21st, 2014, 6:32 PM
Interesting. Does it still have the secret exits and stair coins?

LOCONUT
January 21st, 2014, 6:58 PM
About 1/2 way through Mushroom World on 3D World. Best game ever. My daughter loves nothing more than watching me play. I spend a couple hours at a time playing, my wife gets a break, and I come out looking like super(mario) dad. Everyone wins.

The Rick
January 21st, 2014, 9:24 PM
I'm about 70% through Mario U and can't see myself going back to do Luigi U for some time.

Are the levels pretty much the same but with slight mods to suit Luigi's style?

Keep your eyes out for NES re-mix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxrpKoy1g0Y

I hope this comes to the 3DS.

Version 6
February 5th, 2014, 8:40 PM
Just finished Mario U last night. 5 shiny stars bitches :cool:

What a great game. Music design was a little lazy, but other than that, absolutely faultless. The best 2D Mario game in 20 years.

LOCONUT
February 5th, 2014, 9:10 PM
The luigi levels are quite fun too. 3D world kind of ruined MarioU for me. Still really fun though.

Version 6
February 5th, 2014, 9:51 PM
Have watched some gameplay vids for 3D World online in the last few days and for some reason it just doesn't grab me. Something about it just seems "off". It doesn't really look like it plays like a Mario game.

LOCONUT
February 7th, 2014, 12:13 PM
It plays like the greatest mario game in history. Its ridiculously brilliant.

Atty
February 7th, 2014, 5:50 PM
The gameplay really is marvelous. It may not be as "revolutionary" as Galaxy or 64 were, but it's fairly perfect. It's especially brilliant in that it never overstays it's welcome with a concept. There's this one shadow level that's largely 2D sidescrolling and gorgeous. Most games would stretch that out until the concept is pounded into the ground. 3D World has it for that single stage and then moves on.

blackening
February 16th, 2014, 7:00 PM
http://youtu.be/lVWZH2Ze8EQ

So what does everyone think of the new Mario Kart 8 trailer? The anti gravity stuff looks pretty cool. I'm hoping the online multiplayer turns out well.

LOCONUT
February 16th, 2014, 7:15 PM
Ill be getting this for sure.

blackening
February 16th, 2014, 7:25 PM
If the online multiplayer is good ill probably buy a Wii U this fall. Hopefully it'll be better than the bare bones online play of Mario Kart Wii.

Nash Diesel
February 17th, 2014, 12:25 PM
Just picked up a WiiU yesterday for myself and the family, I have to say I'm very impressed and extremely pleased with the system. Snatched up the Mario-Luigi deluxe version. I like that it's in HD as well! Biggest positive and negative is that I can have Netflix going on the Game Pad, and then switch over to the PS3 and have the kids playing on that. So I know there will be some begging, arguing going on but damn this thing is awesome. Colorful. I've been playing the shit out of the Mario Bros. (red) for the Wii so this is a mega upgrade seeing the Wii U version in HD.

Jez
February 17th, 2014, 12:54 PM
Mario Kart looks awesome, I doubt it will but it may be the reason I decide to finally get one after toying with the idea for a year now.

Pablo Diablo
April 30th, 2014, 8:49 AM
With the announcement of the WiiU Mario Kart bundle for the Americas today, I believe I will be picking this up then. Also will get another free game with it, seems like a good enough deal. Mario Kart is one of the games my wife will play with me.

Jez
April 30th, 2014, 11:05 AM
They're also doing it for the UK, seems like a really good deal for those picking up Mario Kart 8 anyway. https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Campaigns/Mario-Kart-8-Bonus-Game-Promotion/Mario-Kart-8-Bonus-Game-Promotion-879238.html

Atty
April 30th, 2014, 2:05 PM
Been using the Wii U A LOT more recently. I got that every couple years urge to fire through the Ass Creeds and will be finishing those off on the Wii U. Had never opened the PS3 AC4 and talked the people at Walmart into letting me swap it for the Wii U version and rebought AC3 on an Amazon deal to give that another try. Between the Virtual Console, Arkham City, Mario and Zelda, I'm finding myself playing a good clip more on the Wii U. Being able to switch over to the gamepad screen is so huge, as it leaves the tv unused and just widens play options greatly. Really can't oversell how huge the gamepad screen has become for me. It even makes classic NES/SNES games look a lot better on the smaller screen. Mario World is a dream on it.

Really, after finally poking around the Wii U version of Arkham City, I may actually replay Origins on it if I find it for ten dollars someday.

Nash Diesel
April 30th, 2014, 2:11 PM
I need to get a new game and it'll prob be Mario Kart. Lately the WiiU has simply been used to keep one of my kids from bitching about wanting to watch Netflix, so I hand them the gamepad and they're good to go while I watch whatever my girl tells me we're watching lol.

blackening
April 30th, 2014, 7:17 PM
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/30/mario-kart-8-bundle-announced-for-north-america

So Nintendo is coming out with a Mario Kart 8 bundle when the game releases. Deluxe Wii U system, Mario Kart 8, an extra wii remote plus with wheel, and if you register the game you get to download one of four games for free (I'd choose New Super Mario Bros. U). All for $330. I'm thinking about getting this bundle now.

Jez
May 1st, 2014, 5:38 AM
Similar bundle in the UK - you can get the Deluxe console plus Mario Kart (no extra remote) for £200 if you use a code from Tesco - details here (http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/wii-u-premium-pack-mario-kart-8-bundle-199-tesco-with-code-extra-free-game-download-1892609)

I must admit I am truly tempted now, Mario Kart 8 looks like a huge amount of fun and with Mario 3D Land out and a few other exclusives I wouldn't mind trying it looks like a good time to buy.

Fro
May 1st, 2014, 1:00 PM
I'm tempted as well. Might jump in on this console soon

The Rick
May 1st, 2014, 3:03 PM
I will have one by the end of July. I want this bundle, and I get to visit some of the Wii library since I never had one.

Jez
May 2nd, 2014, 8:12 AM
I've just been sitting staring at the bundle which I've added to my Tesco basket, withstanding the urge to click confirm order...

The Rick
May 4th, 2014, 4:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1FHZ5yiozs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNjadSaq-8Y

&

a Polygon article about the customizable tournaments (are you guys up for one?)
article link (http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/30/5665312/mario-kart-8-mario-kart-tv-online-tournaments-wii-u)
By Megan Farokhmanesh on Apr 30, 2014

Mario Kart 8 features customizable online tournaments and shareable clips

Nintendo's Mario-inspired racing franchise has always allowed people to be social by playing with friends, but the latest installment's online features help expand that aspect even further. With Mario Kart 8, players will be able to host customized online tournaments or share video through a new feature called Mario Kart TV.

Playing off the game's highlight reel at the end of each race, Mario Kart TV allows users to pull footage and edit it however they like. During a recent demo in San Francisco, a Nintendo representative explained that the feature records the entire race, enabling players to yank footage from anyone's perspective. Mario Kart TV automatically stores the most recent 12 races and will continually shuffle out old footage as new content arrives.

"If you have a race that you really liked, you can actually save it to one of your favorites," the representative told Polygon. "You can save a certain number of those favorites, and they won't be overwritten."

Clips can be posted in full, or edited down into 30, 40 or 60-second bites. If players want to share clips 60-seconds or less, they can post the video directly to YouTube in-game — though this capability does require a Google account. Players can also choose to share their videos on Miiverse, even if they run longer than a minute.

Mario Kart 8 includes customizable tournaments players can set up online using parameters for day, time, difficulty, allowed items, vehicles and more. Tournaments can be set to repeat — for example, competitions set every Sunday night — and are available to both friends and the general public, depending on the setting. Players will be able to search for tournaments by code, racing type and more.

During our demo, we also got the chance to see new items, Crazy 8 and Super Horn, as well as racers Baby Rosalina and Pink Gold Peach — a metallic take on the princess that is "basically the counterpart to Metal Mario." The Crazy 8 item functions similar to Mario Kart 7's Lucky 7, surrounding players with eight items for max chaos. The Super Horn, meanwhile, is the first item capable of defending against Mario Kart's infamous hunt-and-seek blue shell. Once activated, the horn emits a blast that stuns anything around it, from players to items.

Mario Kart 8 launches May 30 for Wii U. According to a Nintendo representative, the game will be available as part of a Mario Kart 8 Bundle, which includes the game, Wii U Deluxe with controller and a red racing wheel for $329.99. The company will also hold a special promotion until July 31; those that register Mario Kart 8 on Club Nintendo will receive a free download code for New Super Mario Bros. U, Pikmin 3, The Legend of Zelda: The Windwaker HD or Wii Party U.

blackening
May 4th, 2014, 8:13 PM
The online Mario Kart stuff sounds really cool. Its about time Nintendo did something cool with online play. I really hope in addition to what was posted above, the whole online portion is better than Mario Kart Wii's.

The Rick
May 4th, 2014, 9:13 PM
The big difference here is that the WiiU is able to be patched. Nintendo is obsessed with control. If there is a problem they will lock Miyamoto and Iwata up until its fixed. Pretty sure if there is an exploit that they will fix it.

blackening
May 4th, 2014, 9:20 PM
That's true, but I was talking about the bare bones match making and lame point system of Mario Kart Wii.

The Rick
May 4th, 2014, 9:34 PM
Never owned a Wii, but read about the problems that Smash Bros. and Mario Kart had. Its a shame, but Nintendo is looking to start changing some things.

IGN said on their latest Nintendo Voice Chat (http://ignwii.ign.libsynpro.com/nintendo-voice-chat-get-ready-for-e3-2014?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ignfeeds%2Fpodcasts%2Fwii+%28 A+LibSyn+podcast%3A+Nintendo+Voice+Chat%29) podcast, that they have inside sources that Nintendo will have hardware to unveil. What that hardware is remains to be seen. It could be a new iteration of a console, or something along the lines of the Wii Fit.

blackening
May 15th, 2014, 1:03 PM
IGN's review of Mario Kart 8 is up and they gave it a 9. Everything sounds good except this:

"Chat is restricted to lobbies with friends only. There’s no option to invite friends into a game, and Mario Kart 8 also doesn't provide message notifications. This is seriously disappointing because you have to use outside means to coordinate friends only races."

This is the shit I was talking about. Just fucking ridiculous that you can't invite a friend into a game.

Pablo Diablo
May 15th, 2014, 1:14 PM
Yeah that is ridiculous. I'll still get it, but still ridiculous.

The Rick
May 15th, 2014, 3:11 PM
IGN's review of Mario Kart 8 is up and they gave it a 9. Everything sounds good except this:

"Chat is restricted to lobbies with friends only. There’s no option to invite friends into a game, and Mario Kart 8 also doesn't provide message notifications. This is seriously disappointing because you have to use outside means to coordinate friends only races."

This is the shit I was talking about. Just fucking ridiculous that you can't invite a friend into a game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7Z0-RdZh0U

blackening
May 15th, 2014, 5:37 PM
Battle mode sounds a bit shit too which is a shame. Still plan on picking up the bundle when it comes out.

The Doc
May 15th, 2014, 6:06 PM
I think the WiiU just made it on my need/want/have list.

I actually didn't hate Mario Kart Wii Online. It wasn't perfect or anything but I didn't have any complaints that I didn't generally have online. The lack of chat is balanced out by not being called a cock sucking nigger loving wetback communist muslim Obama loving Rush Limbagh butt muncher by a twelve year old boy. I don't like either and until Nintendo gives me an FPS where the need to communicate outweighs my desire not to be annoyed somehow I'll make do.

Pablo Diablo
May 15th, 2014, 7:15 PM
But in racing games shit talking can be fun. In Gran Turismo it was fine chirping the Rajah boys, I can only imagine how much more fun it would be with items.

The Doc
May 15th, 2014, 7:25 PM
Talking shit is always fun. I can talk shit playing Tetris Attack. I can understand Nintendos desire to keep this separate and it's only a minimal problem for me.

Though I didn't watch the video yet (still at work) but if they take the scoring system from Mario Kart DS I could easily see why communication could be important. I used to love big team races and we got to the point with my friend where we would intentionally draft on our team and do this kind a catipillar thing where the guy in front would get out of the way and fall the to back of the pack and then draft back up. It was SWEET but it requires talking.

I'm just saying it's not the end of the world for me.

The Rick
May 15th, 2014, 10:53 PM
But in racing games shit talking can be fun. In Gran Turismo it was fine chirping the Rajah boys, I can only imagine how much more fun it would be with items.

Alas we shall have to do it over Skype. I will have a WiiU also. There is a rumor that one of the first DLC packs will be Retro Battle Mode courses. I hope that is the case.

I really thought I would get a PS4 first, but there is nothing I feel like I have to play currently on the system. There isn't much coming in the next year either. The WiiU will soon have Kart 8, Mario U, Pikmen 3, Mario 3D World, and Wind Waker HD. I really want all of that.

blackening
May 15th, 2014, 10:59 PM
Retro battle mode courses would be great. N64 Block Fort please.

Pablo Diablo
May 15th, 2014, 11:04 PM
Yeah I pre ordered the bundle today so I will be getting this.

The Rick
May 15th, 2014, 11:13 PM
I'm waiting till next week. I want to see what the different places will be offering. They all will have the bundle. I want to see if Best Buy, Target, or other stores offer a gift card or something. Cheapass gamer should have what those discounts will be next Friday.

If you don't want to plop down $330 USD, Nintendo is selling the 32GB refurbished model for $200 (https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/us/po/browse/productDetailColorSizePicker.jsp?productId=prod150 200). Mario Kart would still be another $60, but you would be saving some bucks.

Atty
May 15th, 2014, 11:16 PM
I really thought I would get a PS4 first, but there is nothing I feel like I have to play currently on the system. There isn't much coming in the next year either. The WiiU will soon have Kart 8, Mario U, Pikmen 3, Mario 3D World, and Wind Waker HD. I really want all of that.

That's how I made my decision to hop on the Wii U first. Add in Bayonetta 2 (LOVED the first) and Smash Bros and it's kind of a simple choice. And the new new Zelda.

The Rick
May 15th, 2014, 11:23 PM
Polygon editorial (http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/15/5718168/mario-kart-series-sales).
By Dave Tach on May 15, 2014

Mario Kart 8 will likely be the worst-selling game in franchise history, here's why

TThe Mario Kart series has long been a sales leader, ranking as the second-best selling game on Nintendo's last three hardware platforms, but even if every current Wii U owner bought the next installment, Mario Kart 8, it would still be the second-worst selling game in franchise history.

That's because there are only 6.17 million Wii U consoles in gamers' homes, and that's fewer than the number of copies that all but one previous Mario Kart game sold. The only way Mario Kart 8 could sell more would be by driving gamers to buy new consoles. And that's certainly one of the things Nintendo hopes will happen.

In a recent financial report, Nintendo cited Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros. as the Wii U's "two main drivers" for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2015. The company expects to sell another 3.6 million Wii U consoles by the end of the fiscal year, according to Nintendo's consolidated financial statement, bringing the number of Wii U consoles on the market to 9.77 million. But even that wouldn't make Mario Kart 8 the smash hit Mario Kart DS and Mario Kart Wii became.

Polygon examined the last 22 years of Mario Kart games sales. Based on our research, an average of 20.37 percent of those who purchase Nintendo hardware also purchase Mario Kart games. If Mario Kart's trend continues and Nintendo sells Mario Kart 8 to 20.37 percent of its existing 6.17 million user base, sales of the game would reach 1.26 million. If Nintendo's console predictions are correct, and assuming the average of 20.37 percent remains, Mario Kart 8 sales would reach 1.99 million units by the end of March 2015. Meaning this latest Mario Kart would sell a bit more than a third of the copies that the worst-selling Mario Kart, 2001's Mario Kart: Super Circuit for the Game Boy Advance, sold in its lifetime.

Part of the reason this game's potential sales look so comparatively low is because the franchise as a whole is a massive hit.

Since Super Mario Kart was released for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System in 1992, Nintendo has sold 489.83 million hardware units across seven platforms, including three handhelds (Game Boy Advance, Nintendo DS and Nintendo 3DS) and four consoles (Nintendo 64, GameCube, Wii and Wii U). In that same period, the company sold 99.76 million Mario Kart games. The Mario Kart hardware attach rate, which shows what percentage of people who own a piece of Nintendo hardware also purchased a Mario Kart game, averages 20.37 percent over those 22 years.

http://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/assets/4457633/mario_kart_pie_chart.jpg

A note about the numbers we used for this analysis. On its investor website, Nintendo provides sales figures for consoles dating back to the NES as well as top software sales figures for the Wii U, Wii, 3DS and DS. It does not provide software sales information for games before that. We reached out to Nintendo for that information but did not receive it before publication. In lieu of Nintendo's official sales figures, we sourced multiple outlets to find the most accurate figures available. We obtained Super Mario Kart (released in 1992 for Super Nintendo) sales figures of 8.76 million from VGChartz, with additional information released in a 2009 report from the Guinness Book of World Records and an IGN report. For Mario Kart 64 (1996), we obtained sales information from VGChartz (9.87M) with additional information from The Magic Box and an additional report from The Magic Box. For Mario Kart: Super Circuit (2001), VGChartz (5.47M) and The Magic Box. For Mario Kart: Double Dash! (2003), VGChartz (6.95M), the 2009 Guinness report and two separate reports from The Magic Box.

http://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/assets/4457705/mario_kart_overlapping_line_chart.jpg

In its first two decades, Mario Kart attach sales ranged from a low of 5.47 million with Mario Kart: Super Circuit to a high of 35.53 million with Mario Kart Wii. Sales were relatively consistent until they more than tripled with the release of Mario Kart DS in 2005 and Mario Kart Wii in 2008 when the attach rate rose to 35.16 percent on the Wii. The attach rate returned to more typical series standards and currently rests at 22.20 percent for Mario Kart 7, which was released in 2011 for Nintendo 3DS.

In October 2013, Nintendo characterized its latest console as having "a negative impact" on profits, particularly because of its "markdown" in Europe and the U.S. In the six-month period preceding the financial report, Nintendo sold 460,000 Wii U units worldwide. Earlier this month, Nintendo announced a $456 million annual operating loss and also reported that "unit sales of software, which has high profit margins, did not grow sufficiently."

Mario Kart games are far more than the sum of their sales data, of course. In our research, we also corralled information about what lies inside of each game. Check out the chart below to see the racing franchise's changing cast of characters, cups and courses.

http://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/assets/4457851/Grouped_bar_chart.jpg

The Rick
May 16th, 2014, 10:25 PM

Yea it really is like Nintendo is a year behind. The chat stuff is very much out of PS3's early days. On Hot Shots golf, you couldn't direct chat unless you played two player match play. If you played 4 player stroke, you couldn't chat. You had to use Skype (and we did). On games like Crash Commando and Fat Princess you had to hold a shoulder button to chat. So it had to be important enough to activate the chat to use it.

I think Nintendo will slowly adopt the methods that PS3 has now. They took so long to crawl into the online gameplay ring. While they are taking the slow and steady turtle method, I think they will get there.

RuneEdge
May 17th, 2014, 1:11 AM
While they are taking the slow and steady turtle method, I think they will get there.
By then they'll probably start charging for the service.

The Rogerer
May 17th, 2014, 12:30 PM
I dislike Polygon but I think that one graph of sales vs units isn't a bad concept, but I don't think it's appropriate for them to guess an average of 20% - the difference is clearly the handheld systems which are bought by a different audience and only encourage single player play, so I would project it at about 30%, not 20%. I think Mario Kart has been what most people are holding their breath for to get a Wii U, possibly myself included, so let's see.

The Rick
May 19th, 2014, 11:58 AM
I dislike Polygon but I think that one graph of sales vs units isn't a bad concept, but I don't think it's appropriate for them to guess an average of 20% - the difference is clearly the handheld systems which are bought by a different audience and only encourage single player play, so I would project it at about 30%, not 20%. I think Mario Kart has been what most people are holding their breath for to get a Wii U, possibly myself included, so let's see.

I don't read Polygon much, but when I searched for Mario Kart 8 it was one of the top 5 returns at that time. They have some good numbers, and some valid points. I do agree that they are a bit off base with this one. I feel like most of the WiiU owners at this point are the "Hardcore Nintendo" audience. They will largely go out and pick it up. Then you have the people, like me, who have been holding out for a killer app.

I think this will exceed Nintendo's expectations for sales. That is the reason they diminished their sales forecast for the game this year (according to IGN Nintendo Voice Chat). Lower the bar so they could pass it, and pat themselves on the back. Nintendo needs a feel good moment on the WiiU, and they might get one.

Atty
May 19th, 2014, 12:18 PM
All Wii U needs is games that properly use the hardware. I don't just mean being able to play on the gamepad screen but something that does something so unique and different with it that it draws attention. I thought Arkham City for it would be an opportunity and I just assumed that they'd have it so you could go detective vision on the gamepad and normal view on the tv screen. Seemed like a natural for me.

Same would go for a new Pokemon Snap, holding up the gamepad like a camera to take pictures or, in my dream world, a Metroid Prime-esque game where you scan stuff by aiming the gamepad at it.

With the Wii, it wasn't until Skyward Sword, the system's swan song, that I felt they really had the proper use of the hardware. I kind of see it being similar here, where something will come out when Nintendo's eyeing a new platform that would totally change the way that games could be made for the U. Really, I'd love them to use Metroid for that this gen. A FPS that does something wholy and completely unique and innovative could really open a lot of eyes. Not just for gamers, but for developers that suddenly see new possibilities for the hardware. Had Skyward come out at the dawn of the Wii (or if TP had that type of control), it would have changed how every game after would have used the system.

S.H. Styles
May 20th, 2014, 9:08 PM
Just got super Mario 3d world from gamefly (which is an amazing service). I'm not too impressed. I loved new super Mario brothers U, but this feels way too much like a rehash so far. I don't get how it deserves a 9.6

Atty
May 20th, 2014, 10:21 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV5w8OFrm6U

The Rick
May 22nd, 2014, 2:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=631c1fz87I8

I get more stoked with each trailer

Fro
May 22nd, 2014, 5:22 PM
so what are the must have games on this system other than Mario 3D World?

Atty
May 22nd, 2014, 5:27 PM
Wind Waker HD, Mario Kart 8, New Super Mario Bros U, New Super Luigi U and a slew of virtual console games. SNES on the gamepad screen is better than sex.

[EDIT] And Donkey Kong, I'd imagine, but I haven't touched that yet.

Fro
May 22nd, 2014, 5:32 PM
why do you play it on the gamepad screen instead of the tv tho? just for taking shits or if the missus is watching something?

Atty
May 22nd, 2014, 5:43 PM
The graphics on retro games look much better on the smaller screen. Mario World, for example, basically looks new to me. Still some pixelation, but it looks drastically better. And being able to walk around playing is a plus.

Atty
May 22nd, 2014, 5:44 PM
Also, mushroom stamping Mario is much harder on the tv as I have it mounted five feet up.

Fro
May 22nd, 2014, 5:52 PM
word... I play SMW on Wii using the classic controller and it's pretty tight. That and all my other VC games would transfer over to Wii U correct?

Version 6
May 22nd, 2014, 6:20 PM
Yep. I haven't done it yet, but there's a pretty straight forward process for transferring them across.

The Rick
May 22nd, 2014, 11:11 PM
Wind Waker HD, Mario Kart 8, New Super Mario Bros U, New Super Luigi U and a slew of virtual console games. SNES on the gamepad screen is better than sex.

[EDIT] And Donkey Kong, I'd imagine, but I haven't touched that yet.

And Pikmen 3 if you like that type of game. It just so happens that I do.

Plus any Wii games you might have missed out on. For me that is most.

The Rick
May 28th, 2014, 8:32 PM
Okay, so I got one coming. I'll have it Friday. I'm excited to play Mario Kart 8, and then I need to decide whether to get Pikemn 3 or Super Mario Bros. U.

Since I haven't played much from the Wii library, I should be able to get quite a few games on the cheap.

RuneEdge
May 28th, 2014, 8:48 PM
I take it you're referring to this:
https://cdn02.nintendo-europe.com/media/images/02_top_banners/other_2/campaigns/mario_kart_8_bonus_game_promotion/TB_Generic_MarioKart8Promo_enGB.png
https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Campaigns/Mario-Kart-8-Bonus-Game-Promotion/Mario-Kart-8-Bonus-Game-Promotion-879238.html

Got my Mario Kart console bundle due any day now :hyper:

The Rick
May 28th, 2014, 9:01 PM
You UK bastards. You get a way better deal. We get a choice of only 4 games

http://media.nintendo.com/nintendo/bin/1Fq438fKVpyXTjoYFDq2SqZ0KVgGniFh/doFpu9YFDin-zPZU-xY4aLXSGH594PEx.png

But with my Club Nintendo, I'll be getting Super Metriod too. One of the best SNES games of all time.

RuneEdge
May 28th, 2014, 9:21 PM
Seeing how I'm going with New Mario Bros U, I'd have loved the free Super Metroid. :\

The Rick
May 28th, 2014, 10:30 PM
I don't know how the UK Club Nintendo works, but with the US when you register your products you get "points". The WiiU system is worth 160 points, and Mario Kart 8 is 50 points. Super Metriod is 200 points, and Mario Kart 64 is 250 points. Kirby's Adventure 3D is also 200 points for the 3DS. You cash in points, and they email you a download code for the game. I've done this for 4 games on my 3DS.

blackening
May 28th, 2014, 10:54 PM
My plan as of right now is to get the Mario Kart 8 bundle on Saturday. Will have to try and get some games of Mario Kart in with you guys.

The Rick
May 29th, 2014, 3:02 PM
Kotaku article link (http://kotaku.com/nintendo-made-a-gamecube-controller-adapter-for-wii-u-1583342868)
Jason Schreier 5/29/14 2:12pm

Nintendo Made A GameCube Controller Adapter For Wii U

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--Kf10aQ_b--/tndodzzj8zpx2ejeyddz.jpg

Sneaky Nintendo—at the end of a video advertising their upcoming Smash Bros. tournament at E3 in two weeks, the house of all things Mario just announced a GameCube controller adapter for the Wii U.P

It's unclear how this will be sold, if it's sold at all. Nintendo says the Wii U version of Smash Bros. will be playable with GameCube controllers, so presumably we'll be able to get our hands on this thing in some way or another:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bo0nZHBIUAABqcb.jpg

S.H. Styles
May 30th, 2014, 12:53 AM
Just got super Mario 3d world from gamefly (which is an amazing service). I'm not too impressed. I loved new super Mario brothers U, but this feels way too much like a rehash so far. I don't get how it deserves a 9.6

Take back everything I said. The first few levels weren't that great, but this game is amazing. Every new level is just plain fun. Playing as a cat is a nice touch as well.

This was what video games were supposed to be like. Grab a controller, and for 30 minutes have some fun. No real back story, no cutscenes, no BS, just playing through worlds that scream satisfaction.

LOCONUT
May 30th, 2014, 2:33 AM
It's the best game ever.

blackening
May 31st, 2014, 3:28 PM
Bought the Wii U Mario Kart bundle yesterday. Mario Kart is pretty cool. It looks great. I pretty much suck online and I find the sharp turns to be a bitch. Battle mode sucks though. Rented Super Mario World 3D but havent played it yet.

The Rick
May 31st, 2014, 6:52 PM
FedEx took their sweet time with mine. I just got it, and am installing the system update. I went around like an idiot trying to find my wireless password. I always forget the iMac has the keychain access. :facepalm: Cant wait to play this bitch.

So it looks like Pikmen 3 is probably the better value money wise, but Super Mario U might be the actual better/more fun game. Then on Amazon there was a double disc with Mario U and Luigi U for a decent price. I'm trying not to pick up the HD Wind Waker, because I'm pretty sure I'll find it at a bargain price this summer.

Is it scary that we kinda expect there to be day 1 system patches now? Man I remember getting console and expecting that shit to just turn the fuck on and play my game. God I sound like cbac now :embarrassed:

The Rick
May 31st, 2014, 7:33 PM
My Nintendo Network ID is

the_rick098

Fro
May 31st, 2014, 9:44 PM
You know I've been thinking about getting the Kart bundle so I've been looking up other Wii U games and such and I found out Madden and Fifa were both dropped off Wii U beginning last year due to poor sales. Fuck, that really sucks for their chances of turning things around. If you lose the mega every-console games you're really screwed. Madden 25 was the first Madden game not to appear on a Nintendo console since 1991.

The Rick
May 31st, 2014, 10:03 PM
You know I've been thinking about getting the Kart bundle so I've been looking up other Wii U games and such and I found out Madden and Fifa were both dropped off Wii U beginning last year due to poor sales. Fuck, that really sucks for their chances of turning things around. If you lose the mega every-console games you're really screwed. Madden 25 was the first Madden game not to appear on a Nintendo console since 1991.

Yea, but most of the sports games have been passible at the very best since Wii came out(third party mind you). So it looks bad and it is bad, but software will bring people to the system. Nintendo needs to do what PS3 did in the middle of its lifespan, and double down on great games. Little Big Planet, Uncharted 2, and Killzone 2 didn't set the world on fire with their sales. What they did do was turn some heads that hadn't picked up a PS3, to their direction. With Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros out this summer they are pointed in the right direction. It isn't anywhere near enough, but it is in the right direction.

There is WiiU sports clubs for free on the e-shop. It is essentially Wii Sports, but with a slight online component. You join "clubs" and compare your scores with those in the club. You can change your club every 24 hours. I don't know how to make custom clubs yet, but if we get enough people on here a private Rajah club might need to be looked into. I'll do more research later.

Atty
June 1st, 2014, 5:13 AM
Is it scary that we kinda expect there to be day 1 system patches now? Man I remember getting console and expecting that shit to just turn the fuck on and play my game. God I sound like cbac now :embarrassed:

To be fair, it isn't really day one of the system. ;)

Fro
June 1st, 2014, 12:16 PM
I'm tempted to pick up the bundle today. Checked Best Buy and it's in stock at a couple local stores. One side of me is like ehh there's not enough games yet so wait another year or two, but them I'm like ehhh if I'm going to get it eventually anyway, might as well do it now and get the free copy of New Super Mario Bros Wii U (a deal which is only good for the next 2 months I think).

blackening
June 1st, 2014, 12:45 PM
There is WiiU sports clubs for free on the e-shop. It is essentially Wii Sports, but with a slight online component. You join "clubs" and compare your scores with those in the club. You can change your club every 24 hours. I don't know how to make custom clubs yet, but if we get enough people on here a private Rajah club might need to be looked into. I'll do more research later.
I downloaded the game but you have to buy a pass to play online. There was a specific pass for the bowling and another for tennis. So I don't know that works if you want to switch between the two. I'd be interested in playing with you guys, just not sure how that pass system works.

I like being able to watch Netflix on the game pad. Only have one TV, in the living room, so I was able to watch it on the game pad in the bedroom. Provided I held it in the right spot lol.

The Nintendo Club thing is still down so I haven't been able to download my free game. Been playing SMW 3D though and its a lot of fun.

Atty
June 1st, 2014, 1:35 PM
I downloaded the game but you have to buy a pass to play online. There was a specific pass for the bowling and another for tennis. So I don't know that works if you want to switch between the two. I'd be interested in playing with you guys, just not sure how that pass system works.

I like being able to watch Netflix on the game pad. Only have one TV, in the living room, so I was able to watch it on the game pad in the bedroom. Provided I held it in the right spot lol.

The Nintendo Club thing is still down so I haven't been able to download my free game. Been playing SMW 3D though and its a lot of fun.

Gamepad is so nice. Really can't speak enough on that. My tv layout is similar. I have the one sexy HD tv in the family room and an old shit tv in the corner of the bedroom. The shit tv is no good for games, so the gamepad really opens up gameplay, especially if people are around the house or watching stuff.

Fro
June 1st, 2014, 2:58 PM
So to those that have Kart already... Are you using the wheel? I was kinda luke warm on using there wheel with the Wii version

Fro
June 1st, 2014, 4:16 PM
Another question.... does the Wii Classic Controller Pro (Seen below) work with Wii U games, specifically Mario Kart? There is a new version of this for the Wii U called the Wii U Pro Controller, but I would hope not to have to buy it since I already have the Wii version.

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/mediawiki/apis.ign.com/wii-u/thumb/1/10/Wii_classic_controller_pro.jpg/444px-Wii_classic_controller_pro.jpg

Edit: I just found an article and I believe the answer is yes. Obviously you could use the Wii U Gamepad as a controller as well, but I was thinking about when I have friends come over..

The Rick
June 1st, 2014, 4:29 PM
So to those that have Kart already... Are you using the wheel? I was kinda luke warm on using there wheel with the Wii version

nope, using the game pad. Haven't used the wheel yet. I might have to give it a go in a bit.

blackening
June 1st, 2014, 5:44 PM
The shit tv is no good for games, so the gamepad really opens up gameplay, especially if people are around the house or watching stuff.
I live alone so I don't have that problem, but I'm sure its great if you have multiple people trying to watch/play stuff like you said.

I use the Wii classic controller to play everything on the Wii U. I'm the best (but still not very good lol) using that over the Wii remote and game pad playing Mario Kart. I still suck at turning. I think my best finish so far online has been 8th place lol.

The Rick
June 1st, 2014, 5:52 PM
I live alone so I don't have that problem, but I'm sure its great if you have multiple people trying to watch/play stuff like you said.

I use the Wii classic controller to play everything on the Wii U. I'm the best (but still not very good lol) using that over the Wii remote and game pad playing Mario Kart. I still suck at turning. I think my best finish so far online has been 8th place lol.

You power slide your turns right? You should be making even the tightest turns unless you are running 150cc with heavy characters and karts.

hey Atty, what's your Nintendo ID. We should hook a race up in the next week or so with you and the others on here that have it.

I'm about to dive in for a little Pikmen 3. I haven't played Pickmen since the original, so this should be pretty good.

blackening
June 1st, 2014, 6:32 PM
Yes, I use the power slide. I've been using Shy Guy with the ATV tonight, but for all my previous races online I've been using DK with the standard kart.

Been getting quite a few communication errors.

Edit: Wow, just used the standard bike and its so much better. Got 2nd place.

Version 6
June 1st, 2014, 6:37 PM
Another question.... does the Wii Classic Controller Pro (Seen below) work with Wii U games, specifically Mario Kart? There is a new version of this for the Wii U called the Wii U Pro Controller, but I would hope not to have to buy it since I already have the Wii version.

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/mediawiki/apis.ign.com/wii-u/thumb/1/10/Wii_classic_controller_pro.jpg/444px-Wii_classic_controller_pro.jpg

Edit: I just found an article and I believe the answer is yes. Obviously you could use the Wii U Gamepad as a controller as well, but I was thinking about when I have friends come over..

Bloody hell, I've had a wii u for months and had no idea I could use that controller, which I have sitting in a box in the garage.

I've been playing FIFA13 with that fucking surfboard like a sucker!

blackening
June 1st, 2014, 7:35 PM
Gotta say being able to upload stuff is pretty cool.

http://youtu.be/HsBwDQa-jUU

The Rick
June 1st, 2014, 8:41 PM
I've gone through all of the courses now, and I don't have one I'm down on. The Electrodome is definitely amongst my favorites though.

Really don't spoil it for yourself if you plan to pick this up soon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-XEOdOyMrw

blackening
June 1st, 2014, 9:32 PM
Yeah all the ones I played were pretty solid, but I don't think I've played them all yet. I believe I got a connection error playing the Electrodome track so I only played it a bit. They shortened the N64 Rainbow Road track which is really lame. Why not have one long track? Especially if there's another rainbow road track. Was kind of pissed about that.

Played a game of tennis and 100 pin bowling online on the Wii Sports Club game. Would be cool if you could play with up to 4 people in both games, but one on one was still fun.

Why are the N64 games not on the virtual console for the Wii U?

The Rick
June 1st, 2014, 11:41 PM

I made a point to try this before I went to bed. Played 100cc Leaf cup. Took 1st, 1st, 3rd, and 2nd. It is much harder to control precisely, and the computer difficulty is dialed back accordingly. I made some mistakes late 2nd and 3rd laps that I don't think I should have been able to recover so well from. With some practice, I could see getting much better with it, but I think I'm going to stick the game pad for the most part. Although I'd take the wheel if friends came over. Let them have the pad to make it a bit more equal in difficulty.

The Rick
June 5th, 2014, 12:31 AM
I'm really liking Mario Kart 8. The tracks are just beautiful to look at while racing around the tracks. I haven't play MK since the GameCube, and I'm actually having some troubles at 100cc right now. I'm not losing, but I refuse to go on to the next cup until I can get 1st in all 4 races in that particular cup. I went through 100cc Star Cup four times and the best I could get is two stars(three stars is getting 1st in all 4 races). With Double Dash, I didn't have a problem until doing the tracks in reverse.

I do recommend getting Super Mario U over Pikmen though. Now that I have the WiiU, I had some friends that wanted to play it. We played Kart, but then we had to trade off playing Pikmen. Don't get me wrong, Pikmen is a fine game. Mario U just offers more. More levels, more content, more multi-player options, and in the end it adds up to more fun. I'll have to wait a few weeks till I get something else, but Mario U is very much at the top of the list.

*edit*
also I didn't read the notice on the Wiiu Sports. It was only a 24hr pass. You have to pay 9.99 PER SPORT to play them. Way too much if you ask me. If they come on sale, I might reconsider.

T.I (uh oh)
June 5th, 2014, 1:19 AM
Picked up Mario Kart today - and have claimed NintendoLand as my free game.

Probably won't get a chance to play it for a little while, I'm still really into Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate at the moment, and I've also got Pikmin 3 and Mario 3D World on the backlog.

Anyway, my Nintendo ID is Tinders is anyone wants to add me.

Fro
June 9th, 2014, 8:33 PM
I've pretty much decided to buy the bundle in time to get the free game redeem but I'm going to wait to see what E3 brings first. How's the Mario Kart online??

The Rick
June 9th, 2014, 9:30 PM
I've pretty much decided to buy the bundle in time to get the free game redeem but I'm going to wait to see what E3 brings first. How's the Mario Kart online??

Pretty damn smooth. There is no chat while in mid race, but there is chat in the lobbies. It's Nintendo so I understand. I don't like it, but I understand.

I bought Earthbound. I haven't played that game is so so so long. I faintly remember spots, but I'm going to enjoy figuring it out all over again.

Also I bought the Bowling pass for 9.99. Unlimited use of the bowling game in WiiU sports clubs. :\ I will probably get more use out of it than other games I've purchased.

The Rick
June 10th, 2014, 3:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GisRY6h100U

Fro
June 10th, 2014, 8:18 PM
This is pretty cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLS458ekSEI&list=PL2JiZAV5BmDVb1fcG806HoyBYNMzED0uy

Fro
June 10th, 2014, 9:06 PM
watched most of the digital event

the main zelda game looks awesome
hyrule warriors looks cool too
smash bros looks standardly good and the create a character/play with mii thing is a good add on. online play will be the big thing they need to nail there.
yoshi yarn and kirby both look cool but pretty standard nintendo platforming fare
amiibo looks pretty dumb but I'm not sure I understand it entirely. kids might get into carrying the toys around but can you carry your own Mii around? if they released a non-toy piece like a token you can carry in your wallet and you can carry your own character/mii with you to other peoples houses, it could be cool. no idea if thats where they'll go with it though. seems like if you have a mario toy, its just a CPU mario that youre carrying around and you cant even play as it?
mario maker is a great idea

Fro
June 10th, 2014, 9:09 PM
oh also, the smash bros live invitational is happening live right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCZ734RshPA

LOCONUT
June 10th, 2014, 10:34 PM
That mario maker is genius.

Fro
June 11th, 2014, 9:06 PM
got the mario kart bundle. come at me:

Wisdom_God

LOCONUT
June 11th, 2014, 9:59 PM
Nice. I picked up Mario Kart a few days ago. Pretty lovely so far. I'll try and figure out my online id and will challenge some of you trannies.

Bert
June 11th, 2014, 11:07 PM
http://teamcoco.com/video/clueless-gamer-super-smash-bros

Conan is so great.

Fro
June 11th, 2014, 11:28 PM
That's a good one.

My Mario Kart online kept crashing out with a connection error. Did a google search and seems like that has been cropping up for people over the last day or so. Couldn't even finish a race (tried 3 times). Hopefully better luck tomorrow.

I decided to go with Pikmin 3 on the free game download. I agree with you Rick that NSMBU will be the better game but I NEED to buy Super Mario 3D World immediately so I'd rather have a little variety instead of another platformer. I can wait on NSMBU and try to get it in a bundle with the Luigi combo.

Fro
June 11th, 2014, 11:59 PM
http://youtu.be/DBZQ0ffNnWc

The Rick
June 12th, 2014, 12:11 AM
Fro, you are added. With father's day probably won't get a match in this weekend, but next week for sure.

then we can start to get a rajah race league back up.

Fro
June 13th, 2014, 6:47 PM
How Will They Work in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U?
When an Amiibo is placed on the gamepad, that character will be brought into the game. Players have a choice of watching the character battle other characters, battling alongside the character, or battling against the character. The player will not directly control the character. The more the character is played, the more it levels up, unlocking different moves and customization options.

This would be SO much cooler if you could play as the amiibo and build up your own skill level and stats. Just being able to play along side it or against it or watch it (lol) seems super lame.

Atty
June 13th, 2014, 6:52 PM
http://youtu.be/DBZQ0ffNnWc

Make this game. Now. Thank you in advance, Nintendo.

Hero!
June 13th, 2014, 8:08 PM
Finally watched Nintendo's didgital mcthingy. Lots of cool things, kinda wanna invest in a Wii U when they get cheaper. Splatoon looks awesome, as does the new Smash Bros.

and, yeah, i'm diggin' the Amiibos.

Atty
June 13th, 2014, 10:20 PM
Finally watched Nintendo's didgital mcthingy. Lots of cool things, kinda wanna invest in a Wii U when they get cheaper. Splatoon looks awesome, as does the new Smash Bros.

and, yeah, i'm diggin' the Amiibos.

This definitely didn't sell me on it (as I'd already bought it) but playing as a group sold me so much moreso on the system. I'm with family in Georgia and playing with my niece and nephew on the system worked so well that it just elevated everything. The controller options (being able to use the Wiimote as a I would have the original NES controller with Mario is such a great thing to hold over. Kart plays amazingly and 3D World is just brilliant whether you play solo (as I did when I dominated it on my system) or in a group. It plays differently enough in a group too that it changes the dynamic. The crown thing may look silly and lame but it's amazingly fun trying to get it, steal it or keep it and really broadens how the game is played.

Other thing that elevated the U on my trip is that I've been playing almost exclusively on the gamepad, despite buying the pro controller back on some Christmas sale. The system looks so gorgeous on a big screen that I'm going to start playing a lot more games via the tv. It's a great dynamic to be able to switch. Right now I'm feeling great about using the system long term as long as games are on it.

As more Nintendo properties get on it, I think the system will actually do well. Kart has been a huge boon for it and I imagine Zelda and Smash Bros will be the same story. The system already having a couple fantastic Marios for it only will help things at that point. And Metroid hasn't even been touched on.

Atty
June 13th, 2014, 10:29 PM
This is pretty cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLS458ekSEI&list=PL2JiZAV5BmDVb1fcG806HoyBYNMzED0uy

Jesus fucking Christ! Just saw this now as I've been basically cut off from civilized society all week but OH MY GOD HOLY FUCKING SHIT!

So brilliant. This has the potential to be the most ridiculously fun game ever. Seriously. If done right and able to save levels and stages... I could make the craziest fucking game ever and just have a ball with it forever.

Jez
June 16th, 2014, 5:29 AM
I have finally decided that I am 100% going to get a Wii U in a few months after a strong E3 showing from Nintendo. I'll start off initially with Mario Kart 8 and Super Mario 3D World but I'm interested in a handful of other games as well as being able to play Wii games I missed like Skyward Sword. Anyone else getting one after what they seen at E3? I even think Yoshi's Woolly World and Splatoon look worth playing.

Psycho666Soldier
June 16th, 2014, 5:58 AM
Yup. I'm probably gonna buy one by the end of the year. Smash Bros. alone was tempting me. With Xenoblade Chronicles, new LoZ, and most of what they showed at E3, they hooked me.

T.I (uh oh)
June 16th, 2014, 6:29 AM
Splatoon looks amazing. Was probably the biggest surprise of E3 for me.
Not sure how well it will do considering a) it's WiiU exclusive, b) it's online focus and c) it doesn't have any killing - but I'm sure Nintendo will bring the magic.

Can't wait for Xenoblade Chronicles X either. I've played through the last one 3 times already (about 320 odd hours worth) - and this one looks to have more depth of gameplay, as well as that massive expansive world.

Psycho666Soldier
June 16th, 2014, 6:31 AM
Splatoon looks amazing. Was probably the biggest surprise of E3 for me.
Not sure how well it will do considering a) it's WiiU exclusive, b) it's online focus and c) it doesn't have any killing - but I'm sure Nintendo will bring the magic.

Can't wait for Xenoblade Chronicles X either. I've played through the last one 3 times already (about 320 odd hours worth) - and this one looks to have more depth of gameplay, as well as that massive expansive world.

I never played any of the Xeno series past Xenosaga I, so I never got my hands on the Xenoblade game(s?). Didn't seem like it would recapture that same magic, but this new one really looks fun. Probably doesn't help I've been playing Xenogears again recently.

Fro
June 18th, 2014, 9:12 PM
Some thoughts on Mario Kart 8 now that I've had it for over a week...

-After some connection errors that booted me out of games repeatedly on day 1, it's been smooth sailing with the online mode (and I've probably played around 30 races). No frame rate hiccups to be seen. And I've had some good winning streaks. I got in a group of weak players and won 4 times in 6 races.
-I love the Wii U Gamepad as a Kart controller. It's feels great. (tilt controls turned off - just using the joystick)
-Overall, I definitely like this version better than the Wii version. It plays wonderfully.
-You can't hold 2 items anymore which makes it so there's less items on the board which is cool - less hectic. It also seems to be generally less common to be near last, get a few good items and shoot up to close to the lead.
-I haven't even tried battle mode yet. I know it's just on the racecourses instead of battle-specific arenas which is sad but racing mode is perfect so whatevs.
-The new courses are AMAZING. Very possibly the best course design of any MK game.

Hero!
June 18th, 2014, 9:39 PM
I have finally decided that I am 100% going to get a Wii U in a few months after a strong E3 showing from Nintendo. I'll start off initially with Mario Kart 8 and Super Mario 3D World but I'm interested in a handful of other games as well as being able to play Wii games I missed like Skyward Sword. Anyone else getting one after what they seen at E3? I even think Yoshi's Woolly World and Splatoon look worth playing.

:yes: Yupp, I'll be getting one. I always wanted a Wii, but could never bring myself to make the financial commitment, seeing as I only wanted it to play old games anyway. After this year's E3 showing, I still wanna play all the old games, but got damn am I excited for all of the new games coming out. This'll be my first Nintendo system since N64, as I switched sides to Sony after that.

Gonna hold off for a bit, wait for a sale to pop up or something.

Hero!
June 18th, 2014, 9:41 PM
Some thoughts on Mario Kart 8 now that I've had it for over a week...

-After some connection errors that booted me out of games repeatedly on day 1, it's been smooth sailing with the online mode (and I've probably played around 30 races). No frame rate hiccups to be seen. And I've had some good winning streaks. I got in a group of weak players and won 4 times in 6 races.
-I love the Wii U Gamepad as a Kart controller. It's feels great. (tilt controls turned off - just using the joystick)
-Overall, I definitely like this version better than the Wii version. It plays wonderfully.
-You can't hold 2 items anymore which makes it so there's less items on the board which is cool - less hectic. It also seems to be generally less common to be near last, get a few good items and shoot up to close to the lead.
-I haven't even tried battle mode yet. I know it's just on the racecourses instead of battle-specific arenas which is sad but racing mode is perfect so whatevs.
-The new courses are AMAZING. Very possibly the best course design of any MK game.

Awesomesauce. The only complaints I can even find anywhere are about the battle feature, which isn't really my main focus in a MK game anyway.

QQ: Who do you race as? I'm big into using Yoshi.

Fro
June 18th, 2014, 9:48 PM
I switch it up. Yoshi, Mario, Wario, Shy Guy.... the bigger question is which kart/bike to use. I still haven't found my one. There's a lot of good options. I've seen Metal Mario as a player but I haven't unlocked him yet. Once I get him that might be my go-to player.

The Rick
June 18th, 2014, 10:46 PM
Like usual Bowser has serious speed, but the acceleration is a problem. If you are great with your power slides you can get by for the most part. The AI is better than previous entries in the series though. I'm getting pelted with red and green shells.

S.H. Styles
June 19th, 2014, 2:23 AM
Been playing MK8 daily with my brother for weeks now. I love it, love wiiU, recommend the system to anyone.

My only gripe is that the last mario kart game I played was the one for snes, and it was amazing. It's been almost 20 years, why is the game almost exactly the same? It gets repetitive. You would think they would change things around. And no, adding a boomerang isn't enough for me :\

Fro
June 19th, 2014, 8:16 PM
Gonna hold off for a bit, wait for a sale to pop up or something.

the mario kart bundle with the free bonus game included is probably as good as it'll get until black friday. and the free game thing ends at the end of july I think.

Fro
June 19th, 2014, 8:19 PM
Mario Kart 8 Rajah League:

blackening
The Rick
Fro
GBF
Pablo
T.I (uh oh)
S.H. Styles
Version 6?
Atty?

We have enough to get a good game going already.

Atty
June 19th, 2014, 8:21 PM
Once I buy the game again, I'll be in.

I'm far too generous to my nephew...

Atty
June 19th, 2014, 8:26 PM
the mario kart bundle with the free bonus game included is probably as good as it'll get until black friday. and the free game thing ends at the end of july I think.

The Kart bundle will honestly be better than whatever pops up on Black Friday, I imagine. The free game bit is massive. And with the free one being able to be Zelda or Mario U, it should be a massive draw as those are games that people who get the system will want.

Trying to think what Black Friday could be to top it and I really can't think of anything. Even if they do a price drop for a sale with the same set, that's going to be 20-30 off and the free game that costs more than that won't be valid anymore.

Version 6
June 19th, 2014, 8:26 PM

blackening
The Rick
Fro
GBF
Pablo
T.I (uh oh)
S.H. Styles
Version 6?
Atty?

Haven't bought MK8 yet mate.

Still working my way through Luigi U, but will pick it up soonish.

RuneEdge
June 19th, 2014, 8:47 PM
I can be up for some MK8, if I can work out a mutual time that everyone plays at. I tend to jump on at random times.

Fro
June 19th, 2014, 8:58 PM
ok well for starters everyone should post your Nintendo Network ID

blackening
GBF
Pablo
T.I (uh oh)
S.H. Styles
RuneEdge
Version 6
Atty

Pablo Diablo
June 19th, 2014, 9:09 PM
blackening
GBF
T.I (uh oh)
S.H. Styles
RuneEdge
Version 6
Atty

Fro
June 19th, 2014, 9:18 PM
added the couple people I already friended:

RuneEdge: TheRuneEdge
GBF
S.H. Styles
Atty

blackening
June 19th, 2014, 9:50 PM
Played with Fro and he kicked my ass :lol:

Version 6
June 19th, 2014, 9:55 PM
Is my Nintendo Network ID the same as my Club Nintendo ID or are these different things.

Fro
June 19th, 2014, 9:59 PM
Different. If you open your Wii U and click your Mii face in the top left corner of the main menu it'll show your Nintendo Network ID.

Played with Fro and he kicked my ass :lol:

That was fun. I've been putting work in. Still haven't even beaten all the grand prix's on 150 but I've been doing a lot of online play. I got in another favorable group today and cranked out a ton of 1st's and top 5's to get my rank up.

Kyle_242
June 19th, 2014, 10:03 PM
I gotta hand it to Nintendo. A year ago everyone said that the WiiU was dead in the water, now it's all I've heard anyone talk about since E3.

Nothing for me yet though until they start putting some really good stuff on Virtual Console, and/or Zelda comes out (or better yet, Metroid).

Version 6
June 19th, 2014, 10:09 PM
Different. If you open your Wii U and click your Mii face in the top left corner of the main menu it'll show your Nintendo Network ID.

So just to clarify, Network ID is pretty much just online play and communicating, Club Nintendo is for redeeming points when you buy shit?

blackening
June 19th, 2014, 10:10 PM
Yeah I was surprised by your score. I got lucky and finished just ahead of you at the end of that one race and that's when I first noticed you were playing with me.

Fro
June 19th, 2014, 10:12 PM
So just to clarify, Network ID is pretty much just online play and communicating, Club Nintendo is for redeeming points when you buy shit?

That is my understanding, yep. Why they're different, I don't know.

Fro
June 19th, 2014, 10:31 PM
Once we get a big friends game going we can actually chat in the lobby between races, too.

ALSO.... are people aware of the Deluxe Digital Promotion? I just learned of this. So to make things even more confusing, this is another rewards program separate from Club Nintendo. I believe it's only available to people who have the Deluxe Wii U console (i.e. the black one.. hence DELUXE digital promotion) but I could be wrong. Anyway... you go to:

ddp.nintendo.com

And you sign in with your Nintendo Network ID. Then, anything you bought from the Nintendo e-shop will earn you points. I guess this is an incentive for people to buy games from the e-shop instead of hard copies. So for example, though I have bought nothing off the Wii U e-shop yet, I did download my free copy of Pikmin 3 which I got from my Mario Kart bonus game via Club Nintendo. Because I downloaded Pikmin 3 from the e-shop even though it was free, it earned me $5.00 from the DDP site which is now transferred to my e-shop balance. You get 10% back on whatever you buy (and Pikmin is worth $50 I suppose).

Pretty good deals to be had here.

Version 6
June 19th, 2014, 10:44 PM
That is my understanding, yep. Why they're different, I don't know.

Just had a look around Club Nintendo and it is (at least the Australian version) complete and utter shit. Having had a look through, I now remember why I stopped bothering to register my wii games.

Wouldn't it make more sense to offer points for the Virtual Console instead of fucking Kirby stickers?

Version 6
June 19th, 2014, 10:45 PM
Once we get a big friends game going we can actually chat in the lobby between races, too.

ALSO.... are people aware of the Deluxe Digital Promotion? I just learned of this. So to make things even more confusing, this is another rewards program separate from Club Nintendo. I believe it's only available to people who have the Deluxe Wii U console (i.e. the black one.. hence DELUXE digital promotion) but I could be wrong. Anyway... you go to:

ddp.nintendo.com

And you sign in with your Nintendo Network ID. Then, anything you bought from the Nintendo e-shop will earn you points. I guess this is an incentive for people to buy games from the e-shop instead of hard copies. So for example, though I have bought nothing off the Wii U e-shop yet, I did download my free copy of Pikmin 3 which I got from my Mario Kart bonus game via Club Nintendo. Because I downloaded Pikmin 3 from the e-shop even though it was free, it earned me $5.00 from the DDP site which is now transferred to my e-shop balance. You get 10% back on whatever you buy (and Pikmin is worth $50 I suppose).

Pretty good deals to be had here.

Christ, could this get any more confusing?

They really need to consolidate this shit.

Fro
June 19th, 2014, 10:51 PM
whatever I can navigate it for free stuff

Just had a look around Club Nintendo and it is (at least the Australian version) complete and utter shit. Having had a look through, I now remember why I stopped bothering to register my wii games.

Wouldn't it make more sense to offer points for the Virtual Console instead of fucking Kirby stickers?

hahah dude do they not have any games available? when I go there (U.S.) they have 4 games available to redeem. it seems like they switch the games up every month so if you don't like the choices you can wait. right now I have 240 coins and this is what's available:

Electroplankton Rec-Rec Electroplankton Rec-Rec 150 coinsGET IT NOW
Until Jul 6

Kirby's Dream Land™ Kirby's Dream Land™ 150 coinsGET IT NOW
Until Jul 6

Kirby's Adventure (Wii U) Kirby's Adventure (Wii U) 200 coinsGET IT NOW
Until Jul 6

Mario Party™ 2 Mario Party™ 2 250 coinsGET IT NOW
Until Jul 6

they also have dumb stuff like stickers and shirts like you said. I'm probably going to wait until june 6 and see what else comes up. or maybe I'll check out the Kirby games.

Pablo Diablo
June 19th, 2014, 10:57 PM
I have some coins expiring June 30th so I will have to get one of those games. Maybe Mario Party 2.

Version 6
June 19th, 2014, 11:01 PM
whatever I can navigate it for free stuff

hahah dude do they not have any games available? when I go there (U.S.) they have 4 games available to redeem. it seems like they switch the games up every month so if you don't like the choices you can wait. right now I have 240 coins and this is what's available:

Electroplankton Rec-Rec Electroplankton Rec-Rec 150 coinsGET IT NOW
Until Jul 6

Kirby's Dream Land™ Kirby's Dream Land™ 150 coinsGET IT NOW
Until Jul 6

Kirby's Adventure (Wii U) Kirby's Adventure (Wii U) 200 coinsGET IT NOW
Until Jul 6

Mario Party™ 2 Mario Party™ 2 250 coinsGET IT NOW
Until Jul 6

they also have dumb stuff like stickers and shirts like you said. I'm probably going to wait until june 6 and see what else comes up. or maybe I'll check out the Kirby games.

Nope. The most expensive item on the list is a Yoshi backpack which I might get for my little one if I can accumulate enough points before they expire. But yeah, no games or anything, just useless tat.

Fro
June 19th, 2014, 11:01 PM
Mario Party 2 is my favorite of the Mario Party series (granted I've probably only played 4 of them). I loved the shit out of that game growing up and would have crazy amounts of fun playing it on sleepovers, and later, as a drinking game (I wrote rules and everything). I assume the controls would transfer over well enough from N64 but I haven't played any N64 games on the Virtual Console yet.

Nope. The most expensive item on the list is a Yoshi backpack which I might get for my little one if I can accumulate enough points before they expire. But yeah, no games or anything, just useless tat.

dang that sucks.

The Rick
June 19th, 2014, 11:17 PM

blackening
The Rick
Fro
GBF
Pablo
T.I (uh oh)
S.H. Styles
Version 6?
Atty?

That does sound pretty damn good.

T.I (uh oh)
June 20th, 2014, 12:16 AM
I've played exactly 1 race on Mario Kart 8 thus far - I'll be easy pickings!
I need to find a nice inward drifting bike/kart that handles somewhat similar to the Mach Bike from MKWii.

The Rick
June 21st, 2014, 6:01 PM
Did some private racing with Fro and Pablo. It went really well. Not one frame skip to be seen. After Fro and I were separated at the worldwide races, I popped over to the battle mode. I'm softening my opinion on it. It is still not as good as having regular battle mode, but I still had quite a bit of fun with it. When you are knocked out, you can still play as a ghost and harm people with pick ups. You don't hit their balloons, but slow or stop them all together.

blackening
June 21st, 2014, 10:57 PM
I wish they had the coin runners mode from Mario Kart Wii. I always thought that was fun.

Pablo Diablo
June 21st, 2014, 11:03 PM
Did some private racing with Fro and Pablo. It went really well. Not one frame skip to be seen. After Fro and I were separated at the worldwide races, I popped over to the battle mode. I'm softening my opinion on it. It is still not as good as having regular battle mode, but I still had quite a bit of fun with it. When you are knocked out, you can still play as a ghost and harm people with pick ups. You don't hit their balloons, but slow or stop them all together.

Wait when did we do a private race? You sure it was with me?

The Rick
June 21st, 2014, 11:16 PM
Wait when did we do a private race? You sure it was with me?

Well i thought it was you with me and Fro. Could have been someone else. :$ It was a 3 man private race.

Hey Fro who was with us?

I'm going to try and be on at Noon, which would be 6:00 in London. You know, if people are around.

Fro
June 21st, 2014, 11:50 PM
That was actually my friend that was with me in person split screening. I'm trying to figure out how this works because when I saw blackening was online and hit JOIN it took me into the public match he was already in but when I hit JOIN for you it took us to a private match. Maybe cuz you weren't already playing online? Or maybe I hit something different unknowingly.

and 1pm eastern should work for me

The Rick
June 22nd, 2014, 12:49 AM
Okay. I got that. I shot an invite too both you and Pablo. I saw two people show up, and we were racing. I had it on a private race setting, so I thought Pablo was in on it.

The Rick
June 22nd, 2014, 12:48 PM
I'll be on in just a minute

Fro
June 22nd, 2014, 12:57 PM
I'll be on in a few. If it's just us and we want to do a public match... I'll join yours. I got my rank up so now when I join a worldwide match it puts me with like all japanese dudes who destroy me

Fro
June 22nd, 2014, 1:15 PM
I joined your group. Took me about 5 minutes to get in, kept saying I can't join right now, I'm guessing thats just because it was a full room. Anyway I'm spectating you now will joint the next race.

The Rick
June 22nd, 2014, 2:56 PM
I had the worst luck in pick ups in those games. I was lucky to get the one 3rd place I did. I was back in 7th during Bowser's Castle, and I hit coins twice in a row. Coins should be reserved for the top three places, but I digress.

Fro
June 22nd, 2014, 5:44 PM
guys I created the Mario Kart 8 Rajah Cup. Go to online tournaments and punch in this code to join:

7830-5689-5286

I'm not quite sure how the settings work yet. I set it to weekly (rather than daily) and made it run all the time with unlimited races, so I think we can just hop in whenever.

Version 6
June 22nd, 2014, 6:30 PM
GBF
S.H. Styles
RuneEdge
Atty

Added my Nintendo Network ID now that I actually know what it is, even though I don't have Mario Kart yet.

The Rick
June 23rd, 2014, 11:38 AM
For those they've had their WiiU for a bit. Are the Call of Dutys any good? I'd like another game to play with you guys online. Blops2 is $20 and Ghost is $34 on Amazon. I've got a gift card to spend, and would like to bolster my library.

Fro
June 24th, 2014, 7:11 PM
finally unpacked Super Mario 3D World and giving it a whirl

Version 6
June 24th, 2014, 7:21 PM
For those they've had their WiiU for a bit. Are the Call of Dutys any good? I'd like another game to play with you guys online. Blops2 is $20 and Ghost is $34 on Amazon. I've got a gift card to spend, and would like to bolster my library.

Get Fifa 13.

Fro
June 24th, 2014, 8:51 PM
So guys... I transferred my Wii stuff (virtual console, memory, etc) over to my Wii U. Not sure if most of you guys have done this already but it's pretty damn complicated. They did a good job with it overall though and you just follow the directions and it worked without a hitch. You need an SD card which I had to buy off Amazon for like $7 but I got an 8GB one even though you only need under 1 GB for the transfer. Then you follow all the directions yada yada but the thing I wanted to point was... when you transfer your Virtual Console games over to Wii U then you have to go to the stupid "Wii Channel" to play them which sucks cuz it basically shuts your Wii U down and restarts it in Wii mode and you can no longer control games with the GamePad. It's like having a separate old school Wii attached to your Wii U without any extra features. Actually you can SEE the games on the GamePad but you just can't control them on there, which is lame. BUT.... Nintendo solved this by letting you purchase the Wii U-enhanced version of the VC game (such as Super Mario Bros 3) for a discounted price. So for SMB3 which is the only one I've upgraded so far, I went to the Wii U E-Shop and bought the enhanced version for only $1. So basically they let you transfer for free but they charge you a buck per game if you want added GamePad compatibility. Now SMB3 appears as its own game on my Wii U main menu (as opposed to having to go to the lame Wii channel) and I can play it on the GamePad as you'd expect without a TV.

So yea people may have already known this but wanted to point it out. Overall the transfer process worked well and I still love that Nintendo is the coolest company in terms of backwards compatibility. And playing SMB3 on the GamePad is sick.

Version 6
June 24th, 2014, 9:04 PM
Yeah, definitely worth the $1 for not having to put up with that extra fucking around.

Can you play wii games (disks) on the gamepad?

Fro
June 24th, 2014, 9:23 PM
Just tried it out with Galaxy 2 and it's just like the VC games before upgrading... the Wii game appears on both the TV and the GamePad but you can't use the GamePad as a controller (the buttons don't work). So you could turn off the TV and play looking at the GamePad but you'd still have to be holding a separate Wiimote and relying on the sensor bar on your TV.

Memory from Galaxy 2 (and all Wii games I assume) did transfer from Wii to Wii U which is a great part of the transfer.

Edit: so I used the $5 I got free from downloading Pikmin for free to upgrade my copies of SMB1, SMB2, SMB3 and Super Mario World to the Wii U versions. With 23 cents to spare! Sweet.

The Rick
June 25th, 2014, 12:04 AM
Get Fifa 13.

Is it good on the WiiU?

*edit*

IGN (http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/27/fifa-13-wii-u-review) kinda gave it not very glowing remarks.

Version 6
June 25th, 2014, 12:10 AM
Is it good on the WiiU?

*edit*

IGN (http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/27/fifa-13-wii-u-review) kinda gave it not very glowing remarks.

It looks and feels like Fifa 12 on the 360. But its a Fifa game.

Fro
June 26th, 2014, 11:18 AM
Got my MK8 online rating over 2000 but I've seen people as high as 4800. Let's get a proper Rajah race going already!

The Rick
June 26th, 2014, 3:13 PM
Got my MK8 online rating over 2000 but I've seen people as high as 4800. Let's get a proper Rajah race going already!

Set it for Sunday let me know a time, and I'll be there.

Fro
June 26th, 2014, 4:14 PM
Regarding the tournament thing I created.... I'm not sure if you can chat between races in tournaments. If you can then that would be a killer way to track our own rankings and stuff just internal to our group. But if you can't chat in tournaments then we'd be better off just doing normal on the spot friend games.

We should test it out at some point

The Rick
June 29th, 2014, 12:03 PM
Hey Fro, what time we on for today? It's supposed to rain most of the day in my area.

Fro
June 29th, 2014, 12:17 PM
lets do it up. want to try out the tournament mode first? I just want to see how it works and if it has chat if youre with friends only (I doubt it but worth a shot)

also I just PM'd the other guys to see if anyone else wants to play

The Rick
June 29th, 2014, 12:23 PM
lets do it up. want to try out the tournament mode first? I just want to see how it works and if it has chat if youre with friends only (I doubt it but worth a shot)

also I just PM'd the other guys to see if anyone else wants to play

Lemme get a sandwich, and I'll be right back.

Fro
June 29th, 2014, 12:27 PM
coolio. join me in the rajah cup and we can do a 1 on 1 race or two and then we can hop off and do some public races (you join a public race and then I'll join you)

Fro
June 29th, 2014, 1:36 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pCZEbokNJc

Me and Rick going at it