PDA

View Full Version : NJPW iPPV Invasion Attack April 7th

Defrost
January 29th, 2013, 9:29 PM
Remember a few years back when the Main Event of Wrestlemania was HHH vs Blandy Orton and New Japan ran Sumo Hall the same day and I was kinda obnoxious, or you know really really obnoxious, calling the real main event on that day as Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Kurt Angle?

Well guess who is running an iPPV from Sumo Hall the same day as Wrestlemania!

Cewsh
January 29th, 2013, 10:18 PM
:lol:

In fairness though, it's at like 3 in the morning, so I can DOUBLE UP.

Defrost
March 5th, 2013, 11:19 PM
Of all the possible invaders I gotta say this was the last one I expected

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex1RgW4918U

An invasion with no army is interesting

DDT
March 6th, 2013, 11:17 AM
:rofl:

Oh God, Adam Pierce is going to be on a New Japan show.

Cewsh
March 6th, 2013, 5:21 PM
:rofl:

Oh God, Adam Pierce is going to be on a New Japan show.

Has that been confirmed? Because the champion right now is Kahagas, and that would be so hilariously embarrassing.

If this is an attempt to rebrand, and New Japan has gone along with it, you'd have to imagine that this will involve and more credible American challenger. But I have no idea who is even available to them.

DDT
March 6th, 2013, 7:42 PM
No, I just assumed it would be Adam because NWA has (or at least had) such a hard on for him. And the prospect amuses me.

JRSlim21
March 6th, 2013, 10:43 PM
I coulda sworn Adam and Cabana are on bad terms with them because they legitimately walked out on them, or so Colt says in his podcast, which is pretty non-kayfabe.

Cewsh
March 6th, 2013, 10:46 PM
Well they fucked Adam and Cabana big time. NWA doesn't really have a home promotion or any wrestlers anymore.

DDT
March 7th, 2013, 12:52 AM
I think they suckered Zero-1 into singing up with them again, but using Zero-1 wrestlers to sponsor an American invasion would be all kinds of stupid.

Cewsh
March 7th, 2013, 3:07 AM
I honestly would not be surprised if it is Davey Richards.

Peter Griffin
March 7th, 2013, 3:25 AM
Remember a few years back when the Main Event of Wrestlemania was HHH vs Blandy Orton and New Japan ran Sumo Hall the same day and I was kinda obnoxious, or you know really really obnoxious, calling the real main event on that day as Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Kurt Angle?

Well guess who is running an iPPV from Sumo Hall the same day as Wrestlemania!

BLANDY Orton lol

Peter Griffin
March 7th, 2013, 3:26 AM
Also didnt you two say something about a NJPW review,im waiting on it to watch that show,thanks ;)

Cewsh
March 7th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Yep, I was just working on it last night. It'll be up tonight or tomorrow. :yes:

Defrost
March 17th, 2013, 2:18 PM
Rob Conway beat Captain Coconuts or whoever for the NWA Title.

Cewsh
March 17th, 2013, 2:24 PM
Well they could do a lot worse.

Defrost
March 23rd, 2013, 1:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrjSlP-fTQs

Defrost
March 23rd, 2013, 6:59 PM
All joking aside holy shit is this show looking to be so much better than Mania

Defrost
March 24th, 2013, 12:48 PM
NJPW “ROAD TO INVASION ATTACK”, 4/5/13 (Samurai! TV)
Tokyo Korakuen Hall

1. Road to INVASION ATTACK I: Ryusuke Taguchi vs. KUSHIDA
2. Road to INVASION ATTACK II: Yuji Nagata & Hirooki Goto vs. Manabu Nakanishi & Captain New Japan
3. Road to INVASION ATTACK III: Togi Makabe, Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima vs. Yujiro Takahashi, YOSHI-HASHI & Jado
4. Road to INVASION ATTACK IV: Minoru Suzuki & Yoshihiro Takayama vs. Toru Yano & Takashi Iizuka
5. Road to INVASION ATTACK V: Hiroshi Tanahashi & BUSHI vs. Kazuchika Okada & Gedo
6. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title: Prince Devitt (c) vs. Alex Shelley
7. IWGP Tag Team Title: Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr. (c) vs. Shinsuke Nakamura & Tomohiro Ishii

NJPW “INVASION ATTACK”, 4/7/13 (WPW)
Tokyo Ryogoku Kokugikan

1. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title: KUSHIDA & Alex Shelley (c) vs. Prince Devitt & Ryusuke Taguchi
2. Special 8 Man Tag Match: Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Manabu Nakanishi, Super Strong Machine & Akebono vs. Takashi Iizuka, Tomohiro Ishii, YOSHI-HASHI & Bob Sapp
3. CMLL World Tag Team Title: El Terrible & Tama Tonga (c) vs. La Mascara & Valiente
4. Special Tag Match: Togi Makabe & Tomoaki Honma vs. Masato Tanaka ZERO1 & Yujiro Takahashi
5. Special Singles Match: Toru Yano vs. Minoru Suzuki
6. Special Tag Match: Yuji Nagata & Hirooki Goto vs. Kazushi Sakuraba & Katsuyori Shibata
7. Triple Main Event I – NWA World Heavyweight Title: Ron Conway NWA (c) vs. Satoshi Kojima
8. Triple Main Event II – IWGP Intercontinental Title: Shinsuke Nakamura (c) vs. Davey Boy Smith Jr.
9. Triple Main Event III – IWGP Heavyweight Title: Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs. Kazuchika Okada

Cewsh
March 24th, 2013, 3:01 PM
Fucking hell, this might be almost as good as Wrestle Kingdom.

Vice
March 24th, 2013, 3:38 PM
After Wrestlemania, I say we drug your wife and then we can stay up all night watching this.

Cewsh
March 24th, 2013, 4:04 PM
You have left a paper trail, you fool!

Defrost
April 5th, 2013, 2:58 PM
NJPW “ROAD TO INVASION ATTACK”, 4/5/13 (Samurai! TV)
Tokyo Korakuen Hall
1,800 Fans

1. Road to INVASION ATTACK I: Ryusuke Taguchi beat KUSHIDA (8:47) by pinfall.
2. Road to INVASION ATTACK II: Yuji Nagata & Hirooki Goto beat Manabu Nakanishi & Captain New Japan (8:01) when Nagata used a backdrop hold on Captain.
3. Road to INVASION ATTACK III: Togi Makabe, Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima beat Yujiro Takahashi, YOSHI-HASHI & Jado (10:29) when Kojima used a lariat on Jado.
4. Road to INVASION ATTACK IV: Toru Yano & Takashi Iizuka beat Minoru Suzuki & Yoshihiro Takayama (7:54) when Suzuki was DQ’d.
5. Road to INVASION ATTACK V: Kazuchika Okada & Gedo beat Hiroshi Tanahashi & BUSHI (12:15) when Okada used the Red Ink on BUSHI.
6. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title: Prince Devitt (c) beat Alex Shelley (17:38) with the Bloody Sunday (3rd defense).
7. IWGP Tag Team Title: Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr. (c) beat Shinsuke Nakamura & Tomohiro Ishii (20:47) when Smith used the Killer bomb on Ishii (4th defense).

Defrost
April 6th, 2013, 11:45 PM
Just ordered the ppv. Not ordering Mania. Only one show gets my money today.

Defrost
April 7th, 2013, 2:27 AM
Look who is handing out fliers in the lobby

http://i.imgur.com/byaMWyI.jpg

Defrost
April 7th, 2013, 3:25 AM
And the heel turn is complete

Defrost
April 7th, 2013, 5:27 AM
Well that match was awesome until Sakuraba Kevin Wared his arm

Defrost
April 7th, 2013, 4:30 PM
http://i.minus.com/iR1C0eGAxrHBF.gif

Panther52
April 8th, 2013, 1:10 PM
Well that match was awesome until Sakuraba Kevin Wared his arm

hopefully he'll recover and we'll get to see more the the pro wrestling messiah. he's one of the toughest men I've ever seen so I think he'll be back. It looks like he dislocated his elbow. Looks alot like Renzo Gracie's arm after Saku's spinning double wristlock/kimura.

Defrost
April 8th, 2013, 6:33 PM
Also want to say you should never put a mask on after wiping your ass with it

Glen
April 9th, 2013, 6:01 PM
http://i.minus.com/iR1C0eGAxrHBF.gif

Well that's broken then.

Panther52
April 10th, 2013, 2:56 PM
Well that's broken then.

he's only out 2 to 4 months so most likely just a dislocation.

Defrost
April 10th, 2013, 5:19 PM
kinda get a kick out of the fact that if you combine The Great Muta and Keiji Mutoh's title reigns, which New Japan doesn't, he held the title a record 1,238 days. Sunday was Tanahashi's 1,237 day as IWGP Champion.

Ringo
April 11th, 2013, 5:03 AM
show has appeared on a wrestling torrent site. huge file though so will wait until a more reasonable torrent is uploaded. not long now!

Ringo
April 11th, 2013, 5:34 AM
ok it's on dmotion!

DDT
April 11th, 2013, 7:15 AM
It is?

mr sabu
April 11th, 2013, 9:14 AM
http://touch.dailymotion.com/video/xytnnj_hiroshi-tanahashi-c-vs-kazuchika-okada-njpw_sport

Mvp just tweeted it

Ringo
April 11th, 2013, 10:52 AM
Watched bits of the undercard, now I'm going to watch the top four matches even though I hear the NWA match was apparently bit of a stinker.

Also going to start a thread where we discuss and/or vote for japanese wrestlers best matches.

Defrost
April 11th, 2013, 12:48 PM
Watched bits of the undercard, now I'm going to watch the top four matches even though I hear the NWA match was apparently bit of a stinker.

Also going to start a thread where we discuss and/or vote for japanese wrestlers best matches.

What did you think of Devitt's heel turn?

takerson
April 11th, 2013, 1:04 PM
I have it DL'ed, prolly watching tomorrow. Looking forward to it! WrestleKingdom hooked me. Was the first Japanese card that kept me the whole show, got me more interested in NJPW, now it's up to Invasion Attack to reel me in.

Cewsh
April 11th, 2013, 1:39 PM
I got like 10 people into New Japan thanks to Wrestle Kingdom, I'm hoping Invasion Attack hooks them for good, just like takey said.

Defrost
April 11th, 2013, 1:50 PM
Now that you got me thinking about this show again, and once you watch the main event you should all go read my review plus new logo, I think my favorite part is in the press area backstage after the main event where they always do the coors light toast because they're a sponsor. Okada wants nothing to do with the beer at all. Which is funny considering a year back Shinsuke basically had a photo essay on his facebook of them getting Okada hammered and leaving him passed out in a hallway.

Ringo
April 11th, 2013, 2:03 PM
Seemed to work pretty well. Apollo 55 are such an enduring and loveable team that I'm already anticipating Taguchi toppling Devitt in a singles match. Hopefully that's the way they go. I like Fale returning to back up Devitt. As Stuart on SSS said, it's the biggest twist to occur in the junior division for a long time so it could lead to some title matches that feel genuinely important.

Watched everything up until the main now. Everything has been at least somewhat enjoyable. Was going to skip the CMLL tag but it drew me in - good fun and the post-match antics gave things a bit of an edge. It feels great to have Honma back. I love him. Enjoyed Yano/Suzuki more than I thought I would. Sakuraba is a bad ass. Watching Conway try his best to look at home was amusing. Shinskay/Smith was very good. I MARKED for Ishii fending off Archer and trading blows with him, the powerbomb nearfall was convincing and the springboard Boma Ye was great. IC title is in a very good place right now.

Also, takerson: It took me at least a couple of years of semi-regular watching as well as delving into the All Japan and New Japan archives and reading up on history to really get hooked and not drift off during full shows. Due to the language barrier and very different methods of developing angles and storylines you really have to know the histories and what to look for I think. So if this show doesn't do it for you don't write puro off altogether. New Japan is pretty hot again now though so it's as good a time as any in the last few years to get involved :yes:

AND NOW. The main event. :hyper:

Defrost
April 11th, 2013, 5:22 PM
Well I posted Mania star ratings from the Observer so it is only fair to do so for this show too

Time Splitters vs Apollo 55: ****
Team Sapp vs Team Akebono: ***1/4
CMLL Tag Titles: ***1/4
GBH vs Yujiro/Tanaka: ****1/4
Suzuki vs Yano: ***1/4
Laughter 7 vs Nagata/Goto: ***3/4
NWA Title: ***1/4
Shinsuke vs DBS Jr.: ****1/4
Tanahashi vs Okada: *****

Ringo
April 11th, 2013, 5:25 PM
Fuuuuuuck. Well he liked the show a little bit then. Must be one of the highest average ratings for a show in recent Meltzer history.

Personally I think he's gone a bit mad here. ***1/4 for Conway/Kojima and **** for the opening tag are pretty wild! Wouldn't go so high for the GBH/Chaos Tag but I did think it was really good.

Defrost
April 11th, 2013, 5:26 PM
Reading the review I think the star rating on the opener may have been skewed with the post match angle. He was in love with that heel turn.

Cewsh
April 11th, 2013, 5:32 PM
The second Japanese wrestling gets good, he fetishizes it. I'm not blaming him, necessarily but yeah. He's going to err on the overly positive side for New Japan and overly negative for WWE.

takerson
April 12th, 2013, 7:41 PM
Watched it today. Incredible. I thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing. Maybe even more than WKVII, on the whole. Great fun all the way through, Awesome main event. Can't say too much else. Nothing was actively bad, and anything that may have gotten plodding, was made up for in spades by the time every match was over. I think I'm hooked on these NJPW PPV's.

OD50
April 17th, 2013, 1:00 PM
Tanahashi/Okada was cool as hell. Haven't watched the entire thing though, only the main event, Conway/Kojima and DBS Jr./Nakamura. Pretty good stuff. :yes:

I really enjoyed the crowd, they were super hot. Kind of like the old shows I used to watch back in the 90's.

Anyone know who that big dude with Conway was? I'm shocked they allowed him to totally clown Tenzan.

Ringo
April 17th, 2013, 1:14 PM
His name is Jax Dane. I'd never heard of him before either. :dunno:

Really loving Shinskay's IC title reign by the way. A lot of people questioned the belt's introduction when MVP and Yano were facing each other over and over. Tanaka did a decent job (well the belt certainly felt like a big deal during the Honma match in Korakuen) but it still felt a little unnecessary. Not the case anymore though. Shinskay has taken a back seat to Tanahashi and Okada for the last 12 months but gradually gone about giving the secondary title genuine credibility. The roster is unbelievably stacked right now. Even the NEVER belt has a solid group of challengers.

Psycho666Soldier
April 18th, 2014, 2:52 PM
Anyone know where I can find a torrent of this? Still having stream issues and I can't find a torrent myself for some reason.

EDIT - Never mind, I found one.

Psycho666Soldier
April 18th, 2014, 11:54 PM
Just watched this. Tanahashi/Nakamura was MILES better than their Wrestle Kingdom bout. Maybe my favorite match of the year, so far.