PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Theater/Cinema List

Jacknife
January 7th, 2013, 11:44 AM
Hello,

I thought it would be fun to create a thread in which people could post the films they have seen in the movie theater/cinema in 2013. I saw some people list quite a lot in the best of 2012 thread.

I've seen one film so far:

January 5, 2013: Jack Reacher - I enjoyed it, 7/10

Mark Hammer
January 7th, 2013, 1:02 PM
Django Unchained. Don't remember the exact date but it was after the first of January. 8/10

Cewsh
January 7th, 2013, 1:04 PM
I saw 2 movies at the end of December, but they're still in theaters, so I'm counting it.

Les Miserables 8/10
The Hobbit 7/10

Both good movies that I was very familiar with the original version of, but I think Les Mis did better justice to the source material, and was just a more enjoyable watching experience in general, barring a few issues.

Mik
January 7th, 2013, 6:19 PM
Well Skyfall is still out...might as well say that too you bloody big cheater.

Cewsh
January 7th, 2013, 6:37 PM
If I had seen it the last week of December, I probably would have, but I acknowledge this makes me a twerp.

Chris Scott
January 7th, 2013, 6:58 PM
There is about 20 films coming out this year I want to see, first one will be Gangster Squad this weekend.

VanillaJello
January 7th, 2013, 7:00 PM
End of Watch - 7/10

Jacknife
January 7th, 2013, 8:27 PM
There is about 20 films coming out this year I want to see, first one will be Gangster Squad this weekend.

Yes that looks like a great film. I hope to see it this weekend or next week sometime. Thursday I should be seeing Texas Chainsaw 3D. I love those types of movies!

lotjx
January 7th, 2013, 8:38 PM
I read the book, Gangster Squad is based on and its rather funny that they made a balls out action film when the book basically trashes that type of style. The book is very good, but its rather dry.

Kdestiny
January 8th, 2013, 1:18 PM
Only film I've seen so far this year is Django Unchained. Would probably give that an 8.5/10

Chris Scott
January 8th, 2013, 1:37 PM
Been getting alot of good reviews that Django Unchained from what I've read, that's another one on my list.

Yes that looks like a great film. I hope to see it this weekend or next week sometime. Thursday I should be seeing Texas Chainsaw 3D. I love those types of movies!

Yeah missus is trying to drag me to watch Texas Chainsaw 3D, after watching the remake ones I'm not so sure.

Bad Collin
January 8th, 2013, 3:57 PM
I saw the Hobbit, it was too long and some of it was rubbish - 6/10

Mik
January 8th, 2013, 4:58 PM
I read the book, Gangster Squad is based on and its rather funny that they made a balls out action film when the book basically trashes that type of style. The book is very good, but its rather dry.

Yeah, reviews arent great to be fair, so maybe they went the wrong direction with it.

Going to the cinema for the first time this year tomorrow. But to see something I've already seen.

Guy
January 8th, 2013, 6:09 PM
Hobbit?

I'm tempted to see it again with all the bells and whistles....probably won't though.

Mik
January 8th, 2013, 6:10 PM
Yup, and thats exactly what I'm going to see it for.

Simmo Fortyone
January 8th, 2013, 6:16 PM
Only film I've seen so far this year is Django Unchained. Would probably give that an 8.5/10
If I generally don't like Tarantino's movies, should I go see this?

Bennedy
January 8th, 2013, 6:46 PM
I just can't wait for the Alan Partridge movie. I only really see one or two films a year anyway. I think last year the only film I saw in the cinema was The Dark Knight Rises. And that bloody seemed to go on forever.

MikeHunt
January 8th, 2013, 7:03 PM
as fucking shit as they all are i can't wait to see fast 6. fast 5 is one of the most unintentionally hilarious films ive ever seen and this will hopefully live up to my expectations of complete nonsense.

Kdestiny
January 8th, 2013, 7:31 PM
If I generally don't like Tarantino's movies, should I go see this?

If you don't like his movies I would say to wait until it comes out on DVD, it's very Tarantino. Depends on why you dislike them I guess

lotjx
January 8th, 2013, 8:54 PM
I might see Django on Saturday as my late birthday gift.

Jacknife
January 8th, 2013, 9:04 PM
Happy birthday

Guy
January 9th, 2013, 3:17 AM
Yup, and thats exactly what I'm going to see it for.

Yea I'm tempted, but then I think...well there are two more coming out, perhaps I'll save it for them instead.

Jacknife
January 19th, 2013, 3:21 PM
Saw Mama yesterday 1/18/13. Absolute garbage of a movie.

lotjx
January 19th, 2013, 4:59 PM
Saw Lincon instead of Django do to bad timing.. Lincoln was excellent. Looking forward to Star Trek, Thor and Iron Man this year. Leary of Man of Steel.

Jacknife
January 20th, 2013, 12:22 PM
Saw Texas Chainsaw 3D last night. I loved it!

Mik
January 20th, 2013, 5:27 PM
On:

The Hobbit
Life of Pi
Gangster Squad

So far. Going to see Django and Les Mis this week I think and possibly Wreck It Ralph.

Kdestiny
January 20th, 2013, 5:56 PM
Finally watched Ted and I loved it, lots of fun

wardy
January 20th, 2013, 9:06 PM
If you don't take Gangster Squad seriously at all then it is a good film. It's full of cheese and over the top violence but the actors all put in a good turn and some of the lines are superb.

lotjx
January 20th, 2013, 9:52 PM
If you don't take Gangster Squad seriously at all then it is a good film. It's full of cheese and over the top violence but the actors all put in a good turn and some of the lines are superb.

If it was named something else, I might go see it, but after reading the book, there is a great story they are ignoring. I wish they would have made it more serious sorta how Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy vs. A Roger Moore Bond film. I bet they don't go into the traveling crime family that pretty much ended the threat of Cohen.

takerson
January 21st, 2013, 1:42 AM
Just saw Last Stand. Super fun old-school gratuitous action movie. Tons of blood & explosions. With one of the most unique car chases I've ever seen during the climax, as well as a satisfying 1 on 1 final fight between Arnold & the main bad guy. Guilty pleasure fun movie.

Mik
January 21st, 2013, 3:46 AM

I enjoyed it. It was pretty much a graphic novel film, like Sin City, but in colour.

I steal cable
January 21st, 2013, 3:52 AM
Pitch Perfect - 8/10

it was accaawesome

One Man Gang
January 21st, 2013, 2:33 PM
Lincoln is a 9 out of 10

Zero Dark Thirty was closer to an 8.

darkhorse
January 26th, 2013, 3:48 AM
Movie 43 - 8/10

Being a huge fan of The Kentucky Fried Movie, I had mixed expectations for this film (expecting it to either be a fitting homage to the Kentucky Fried Movie or an affront to it with a bunch of A-listers). While there were a couple of sketches (along with an unnecessary wraparound plot) that were misses, the rest of the sketches were enjoyable, especially the first segment with Hugh Jackman and Kate Winslet which was so hilarious that everyone at the cinema continued laughing while the technical difficulties were being fixed.

Mik
January 26th, 2013, 6:39 AM
I've heard SUCH polarising reviews for that. Very strange.

Simmo Fortyone
January 28th, 2013, 6:34 PM
Saw Silver Linings Playbook on Sunday. Can see why the Oscar acting nominations went the way they did. Great stuff. 8/10

Mik
January 28th, 2013, 6:38 PM
Partially agree. Dont think that De Niro should've gotten the supporting actor nomination, and there's no bigger Bobby fan than me.

Canuck
January 28th, 2013, 7:49 PM
The Hobbit - 7/10
Skyfall - 9/10
Compliance - 7.5/10

Simmo Fortyone
January 28th, 2013, 8:06 PM
Partially agree. Dont think that De Niro should've gotten the supporting actor nomination, and there's no bigger Bobby fan than me.
Not trying to shoot you down here, but who would you suggest putting in the list ahead of him?

Mik
January 29th, 2013, 10:33 AM
Honestly, thats not the way I'm coming from it. To me De Niro does nothing in that film to earn the nomination. I like the film, but its typical Weinstein Oscar politics. De Niro's character has none of the subtlety that saw him put in such performances when he was younger. It is simply an example of a run of the mill De Niro performance in a good film for a change. It would be a shame to see him recognised for something that would struggle to even rank in his top 40 performances (I just counted), his acting is so obvious in the film.

Realistically Matthew McConaughey in Magic Mike or possible Killer Joe, depending on whether thats considered supporting. Michael Fassbender in Prometheus, Tom Hardy in The Dark Knight Rises (which I didnt even think was as good as it couldve been), Bruce Willis in Looper, Guy Pearce in Lawless, a number of performances in Killing Them Softly, Javier Bardem in Skyfall, Di Caprio in Django Unchained, Dwight Henry for Beasts of the Southern Wild...just off the top of my head are all performances more deserving than De Niro's in SLP.

Jacknife
January 29th, 2013, 11:22 AM
Amen for Killing Them Softly. Scoot McNairy in particular. Though I thought he was awful in that Monsters movie.

Mik
January 29th, 2013, 1:37 PM
Actually Irrfan Khan who played the older Pi Patel in Life of Pi was outstanding too.

Kdestiny
February 6th, 2013, 11:30 PM
Silver Linings Playbook was amazing. Good performances all around.

Mik
February 12th, 2013, 11:08 AM
Lincoln is a 9 out of 10

Zero Dark Thirty was closer to an 8.

I'd take a point of them both and have them the other way around.

Cewsh
February 12th, 2013, 12:07 PM
I went and saw Bullet to the Head at noon on a Sunday because I thought it'd be a fine way to kill a few hours. Even going in expecting it to be mindless nonsense, the movie was stunningly terrible.

The whole thing was baffling, really. They start with a buddy cop premise, (a hitman and a cop have to team up to take down the bad guys,) and then just never bother to have them ever like each other at all, so it has no actual payoff. Then they spend an hour making the bodyguard to the bad guy sympathetic and interesting, only to do nothing with that at all. It's like someone took all of the buddy cop cliches and tried to spice them up by cutting off the conclusions to all of them. Really, really odd.

Jacknife
February 12th, 2013, 12:21 PM
What's your take on these recent solo action offerings from the Expendables cast? They have not been doing well financially. The Last Stand looked good to me, I will see it at some point, same with Parker. I know absolutely nothing about Bullet To The Head.

Cewsh
February 12th, 2013, 12:36 PM
I've only seen Bullet to the Head, but they're being received pretty poorly. All of them are box office flops thus far and I haven't seen anyone enthusiastic about them.

They're basically January cash ins, because studios just put out whatever garbage they have sitting around in that month.

Chris
February 17th, 2013, 5:54 PM
So far in 2013, I've seen:

- The Last Stand: I quite enjoyed it, even if it frequently didn't know whether to play Arnie to his age or just have him channel his Terminator days. It was nice to see him return to the action genre, even though it was quite restrained in places. For the first half of the film, he doesn't have a huge role which was surprising. The finale was really the reason I went to see it, and I wasn't disappointed.

- Bullet to the Head: Odd. Stallone was genuinely funny at times, with the kind of dialogue that is really needed in the Expendables films. Momoa fit the dastardly henchman role pretty well. But Sung Kang plays one of the most vacuous partners in a buddy cop film for a long time - not that he was annoying, but that he simply didn't have an interesting role at all. I don't know why they spent so much time building up how handy his smartphone was, as if the film was cutting edge. In a way, it was refreshing that Stallone's character didn't suddenly become best friends with him, but by the end Kang's character looked like a complete wimp.

- Wreck-It Ralph: Disappointing. It has a great concept, but doesn't really go anywhere with it after the first act. Ralph is a decent character, but once he gets to Sugar Rush, it could be any animated movie really. Vanellope was quite annoying, and I wasn't surprised to learn that she is voiced by Sarah Silverman. I think Pixar might have done a better job with the concept. I think I actually enjoyed the Paperman short more than the movie itself. It wasn't bad - just wasn't as interesting as it could have been.

- A Good Day to Die Hard: I enjoyed all of the action, particularly the car chase. Some of the McClane's dialogue is a bit garbled in places - I assume because he was swearing and it was edited out for the 12A UK cut. Some of the edits were really rough, though. McClane seemed more subdued in this one, even in comparison to Live Free or Die Hard. He just seemed to float through the film at times. I felt it was quite short - it was almost missing a middle act, as it went from one big action set-piece to the finale in the space of what seemed like 20 minutes. And it's so far removed from the original Die Hard, though it's been that way for a long time now. Some of the stuff McClane survives in this one is pretty mental, and he takes it all in his stride.

Jacknife
February 19th, 2013, 12:43 PM
I saw Side Effects and A Good Day to Die Hard this weekend.

I enjoyed Side Effects, 9/10 rating.

Die Hard was an ok film, overall enjoyed it. Funny in some parts too, 6/10

LOCONUT
February 19th, 2013, 1:21 PM
I thought Silver Linings Playbook was brilliant until the last 30 minutes when it turned to absolute nonsensical shit. Had they not added all the corny garbage at the end I think I would have left the film with a similar feeling as when I left Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Instead all I could think was "they really fucked that off".

thetony
February 19th, 2013, 2:33 PM
The Impossible - 8/10

Emotionally gripping and had me weepy a few times throughout. Solid performances and the beginning scene had some great visual moments.

Mik
February 19th, 2013, 4:37 PM
I thought Silver Linings Playbook was brilliant until the last 30 minutes when it turned to absolute nonsensical shit. Had they not added all the corny garbage at the end I think I would have left the film with a similar feeling as when I left Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Instead all I could think was "they really fucked that off".

Yeah, I can go with that.

Jacknife
March 7th, 2013, 11:22 AM
Was going to see Jack The Giant Slayer, but decided not to. Has anyone seen it? Any good?

Cewsh
March 7th, 2013, 11:45 AM
I've heard it's perfectly fine. And at least the theatre will probably be empty when you go.

Mik
March 7th, 2013, 11:58 AM
Trying to average at least one a week this year, almost on target so far but plan on bumping that up this weekend:

The Hobbit
Life of Pi
Gangster Squad
Django Unchained
Lincoln
Zero Dark Thirty
Les Miserables
Cloud Atlas
Side By Side
Stoker

Mik
March 10th, 2013, 6:21 PM
Trying to average at least one a week this year, almost on target so far but plan on bumping that up this weekend:

The Hobbit
Life of Pi
Gangster Squad
Django Unchained
Lincoln
Zero Dark Thirty
Les Miserables
Cloud Atlas
Side By Side
Stoker

Added...

Oz: The Great and Powerful - Surprisingly fun.
Side Effects - Very good.
Parker - Stupid but fun.

To the list this weekend. Is it obvious that I'm single at the moment?

Alf
March 10th, 2013, 6:28 PM
I thought oz was preeeeetty bad.

Mik
March 10th, 2013, 6:41 PM
It was fun and colourful and zipped by with some nice visuals. It was a pretty non-offensive kids film with some sweet moments. I guess it depends what your expectations were.

I steal cable
March 12th, 2013, 1:32 PM
mama - 2/10

If you are going to watch this do yourself a favour

(not really a massive spoiler)
with about 20 mins to go when they're back at the cabin and just seen the aunt fall to the ground, LEAVE

just get up and leave

make sure you leave before they get to the cliff unless you want to piss your pants laughing.

my friend wasn't happy with me cause I was in stitches for the last bit of the film, it's bloody awful

Fro
March 12th, 2013, 1:40 PM
Contraband

Pretty typical Marky Mark crime thriller. 6/10

The turn by Ben Foster's character was pretty stupid. He was Mark's best friend who he trusted like a brother then he turned heel and was going to bury Mark's wife alive for some reason? Fuck outta here.

Jacknife
March 18th, 2013, 8:46 AM
Where are you that you saw Contraband in a theater in 2013?

And yes Mama was awful.

Alf
March 18th, 2013, 10:10 AM
mama - 2/10

If you are going to watch this do yourself a favour

(not really a massive spoiler)
with about 20 mins to go when they're back at the cabin and just seen the aunt fall to the ground, LEAVE

just get up and leave

make sure you leave before they get to the cliff unless you want to piss your pants laughing.

my friend wasn't happy with me cause I was in stitches for the last bit of the film, it's bloody awful

I really enjoyed Mama. Like, a lot.

Freaked me right out. Anything with a witch in it fucks me up.

I steal cable
March 18th, 2013, 1:35 PM
my god you have an awful taste in movies

Oz the Great and Powerful - 5/10

mah.

would've given it 6/10 if Franco managed just one scene without smirking like a complete and utter twat.

5/10

Fro
March 18th, 2013, 1:38 PM
Where are you that you saw Contraband in a theater in 2013?

Nowhere but I just didn't want to start a thread for it and this one seems to have replaced the closed movie review thread.

Mik
March 18th, 2013, 2:10 PM
my god you have an awful taste in movies

Oz the Great and Powerful - 5/10

mah.

would've given it 6/10 if Franco managed just one scene without smirking like a complete and utter twat.

5/10

i think Franco is a good actor, but he's weird in the film. I wouldn't even say smirking, it was his big weird shit eating grin.

Kdestiny
March 18th, 2013, 5:22 PM
Saw the Incredible Burt Wonderstone. Not bad, Jim Carrey was ridiculous and not in a good way. 6/10

Mik
June 13th, 2013, 6:43 AM
At the half way point of the year, I'm keeping on track with one film at the cinema a week:

The Hobbit
Life of Pi
Gangster Squad
Django Unchained
Lincoln
Zero Dark Thirty
Les Miserables
Cloud Atlas
Side By Side
Stoker
Parker
Oz the Great and Powerful
Side Effects
Welcome to the Punch
A Film Called Loved
The Angel’s Share
GI Joe Retaliation
Trance
Place Beyond the Pines
Oblivion
Iron Man 3
The Look of Love
Dead Man Down
Star Trek Into Darkness
Mud
The Purge
The Great Gatsby
The Iceman

Need to pick up the pace really as there's still loads I would've liked to have seen but havent.

Canuck
June 16th, 2013, 6:22 AM
What's the verdict on trance? Have heard next to nothing about it.

MikeHunt
June 16th, 2013, 6:26 AM
Fast 6 mik! Go and see fast 6

Jacknife
June 17th, 2013, 1:26 PM
How did you find Stoker, mik? I really enjoyed it.

Mik
June 22nd, 2013, 1:47 PM
How did you find Stoker, mik? I really enjoyed it.

I thought that it was a fantastically shot and edited film with a script written by a pretentious film student. It was good though.

In an odd aside the opening credits were beautiful. Probably the best I've ever seen.

The_Mike
June 22nd, 2013, 1:57 PM
I can't remember if I mentioned my thoughts on Stoker in another thread but I really enjoyed it. I wouldn't say the script was terrible for its pretentiousness, but that was definitely an issue and it was clearly the weakest element of an otherwise very impressive film. Ditto on the opening credits, they were a visual treat, and the soundtrack overall was great.