View Full Version : The Official PTP Appreciation Thread

VHS
December 28th, 2012, 3:20 PM
These two are the best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik4GZeZ-s-k

Cewsh
December 28th, 2012, 3:23 PM
:yes:

I don't think I've ever seen a team go from awful to terrific as fast as those two did. They're really a walking endorsement for just putting young guys on tv and seeing if they can get themselves over.

Anaconda Sniper
December 28th, 2012, 3:33 PM
Cewsh put it perfectly. These two went from awful esp Titus to one of the highlights of the show every week. I've never seen anyone improve as fast as Titus..he used to be dreadful to watch and now hes one of the most entertaining guys on the roster.

Psycho666Soldier
December 28th, 2012, 3:55 PM
I completely agree with this thread. Perhaps they are not perfect, and maybe they AREN'T quite ready for the belts. Yet, they remain the most promising tag team of the whole division. Their wrestling skills are decent at their worst, and they continue to improve with an immediately interesting moveset and good use of tag manuevers. Between the heel turn and experience on NXT, Titus was able to turn something on when he came to Smackdown and not only did he suddenly become a commanding personality, but a rather impressive and mostly sound strong-man type wrestler. Couple that with Darren Young's sometimes charming quirkiness and undoubted skill in all in-ring fundamentals, you have a team that not only has underrated newbloods showing that they're willing to work for their spot, but their abilities complement each other to truly create a tag team that we can believe not only work together, but need each other. Together, their power seems limitless, but separate, they become shadows of what they were together.

That is why you give them a good 3-year run(including the time they've been together) as a tag team, keeping around teams like Primo/Epico, The Usos, 3MB(Or some variant), and maybe one of Team Hell No, Rhodes Scholars, or Mysterio/Cara. That's mostly to keep the division consistent while new teams come together and some potentially break, all the while Primetime Players cement their spot as the most dominant and entertaining tag team of the division(if they work hard enough for it). Tag Title runs are a must. If all goes well...Darren Young will probably be a midcard star at best, but I'm strongly beginning to feel that Titus has more long-term value than I ever imagined while I was hating him on NXT. He's really making himself a star.

They just need not to rush them, keep them relevant(don't shy from giving them the occasional singles match feuds and title shots((maybe even midcard title reign while still operating as a tag team))), and you'll have two stars that could earn them...

MILLIONS OF DOLLARS!!

http://www.abload.de/img/primeceleb1yesz.gif

G-Fresh
December 28th, 2012, 3:58 PM
PTP are fuckin awful.

Cewsh
December 28th, 2012, 4:04 PM
Oh good, you're back.

mth
December 28th, 2012, 4:23 PM
PTP are the tits. And it's funny 'cuz when I watched them on their first go on NXT, they were two of the worst. But good goddamn have they become awesome. Incredibly entertaining as characters and both have come along well in the ring, especially Titus, my goodness he's improved. Their run with the belts should happen any time now.

MikeHunt
December 28th, 2012, 4:26 PM
Better off without that gump a.w. strength to strength after he was released. Brilliant tag team, very entertaining.

MMH
December 29th, 2012, 2:25 PM
I really wish they didnt change their theme music.

Titus really needs to work on how he pins people too. His Spine Buster/Low Down thing he does looks great but then he spends 30 seconds trying to transition into a pin, its weird.

Other than that though im a big fan of them.

VHS
December 29th, 2012, 3:07 PM
Probably because he's 6'6 and 270 lbs. That's a big guy right there.

Psycho666Soldier
December 29th, 2012, 3:07 PM
I really wish they didnt change their theme music.

Titus really needs to work on how he pins people too. His Spine Buster/Low Down thing he does looks great but then he spends 30 seconds trying to transition into a pin, its weird.

Other than that though im a big fan of them.

Yeah, I don't get why Titus doesn't just go for the pin in the position he lands in. Seems like the standard thing to do.

I also agree on the music. They're first theme was perfectly fine, and it was recognizable. The two themes they've tried since do not stand out as anything more than generic radio rap.

mth
December 29th, 2012, 3:35 PM
Yeah, you're right in position to just pin him when you hit it. That's how D'lo Brown always did it...Titus should take note and ditch the super awkward transition.

I actually haven't really paid attention to the new theme. Will have to keep an ear open next show I watch.

Psycho666Soldier
December 29th, 2012, 3:37 PM
For all we know, it could be completely different again by the time you see them next. Even more reason to go back to the original.

JRSlim21
December 29th, 2012, 7:17 PM
I do the dance when something good happens to me at work. I just need a whistle.

Anaconda Sniper
December 29th, 2012, 10:18 PM
Wash rag.

VHS
December 30th, 2012, 3:48 PM
"Where's the pyro at?"

:lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxJcE-EDmik

Anaconda Sniper
December 31st, 2012, 4:17 PM
hahahaha "whacha wanna eat?"

Brian M.
January 3rd, 2013, 7:11 PM
I love these guys as personalities. That "wash rag" thing with Lawler reminded me of when Edge and Christian used to be on commentary. It was brilliant and actually brought something to the table unlike most guys when they put on the headset.

However, I'm not understanding how anyone can think Titus is anything better than dreadful in the ring. I know he's improved, but he may have been in the bottom five people I've ever seen wrestle on WWE TV when he was on NXT. He's certainly better than that now, but he's still one of the worst guys in the company. Young I actually think is fairly decent, but not good enough to carry Titus. I find myself consistently bored when they wrestle for longer than a couple of minutes. Still think they should stick around though obviously, they are over and entertaining on the mic.

Psycho666Soldier
January 3rd, 2013, 7:37 PM
I dunno, I don't see that. I feel he's become more interesting in the ring. Decent moveset, and his moves always look full of impact. Not to mention he always displays intensity in the ring. Maybe he's not one of the best, but I don't think he'd consider him one of the worst.

Well...I'd have to look down a list of the current roster to think of someone definitively worse, though(other than Khali...and probably Otunga).

mth
January 3rd, 2013, 8:45 PM
I've heard their new song now. I don't think it's any worse than their other one.

VHS
January 3rd, 2013, 9:27 PM
The way Titus yells when delivering a shoulder block or clothesline adds a layer of intensity to his offense, and really makes it look like it hurts. He's not fast, and he can be somewhat of a goof, but he's proven himself to be dependable enough against the whole roster. He hasn't messed at all like he used to on NXT.

ANT
January 4th, 2013, 8:39 PM
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/4617/ug0ea4eb.gif

MMH
January 4th, 2013, 8:46 PM
I've heard their new song now. I don't think it's any worse than their other one.

With all due respect you are 100% horrendously wrong there.

Hero!
January 4th, 2013, 9:23 PM
If you want a win, make it a win

ANT
January 4th, 2013, 9:28 PM
I don't think I'll ever forget that half second smile Titus did before he finished that line.

mth
January 4th, 2013, 9:30 PM
With all due respect you are 100% horrendously wrong there.

To be fair, I didn't think all that highly of their previous theme, either. At least the new one seems like it reflects their characters in its lyrics. But they're both terrible.

Badger
January 5th, 2013, 7:04 AM
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/4617/ug0ea4eb.gif

Just saw that on Superstars. Push this team now! They do have an air of E&C about them.

MMH
January 5th, 2013, 10:58 AM
To be fair, I didn't think all that highly of their previous theme, either. At least the new one seems like it reflects their characters in its lyrics. But they're both terrible.

Aye maybe, Dont get me wrong I wouldnt be a fan of the song if it wasnt a wrestling song or anything but the tune went so much better with their entrance antics.

Badger
February 4th, 2013, 5:19 PM
Main page rumour says they might be breaking PTP up in favour of a singles push for Titus.

Say it ain't so. :(

OD50
February 4th, 2013, 5:24 PM
Of course they are..

:hahano:

Jacknife
February 4th, 2013, 5:26 PM
What makes this thread official, by the way?

I like Titus, but not Darren Young so I am happy with this news.

VHS
February 4th, 2013, 5:36 PM
If that actually happens, I'll be gutted. Like... what? :wtf:

Psycho666Soldier
February 4th, 2013, 5:41 PM
The good news is Titus is the one with singles star potential. Charisma-wise, he outshines Young a lot. Still needs some wrestling work, but he's improved a lot.

The bad news is I feel there's still a lot of longevity to PTP, and both men could use the experience as a team before pushing them for anything else.

More than anything, if this is true, Young will pretty much go right back down to Jobberville until he's released.

Badger
February 4th, 2013, 5:44 PM
I can live with the break-up of Rhodes Scholars since I think they'll be fine on their own, but not this if true. They just wouldn't work as well on their own IMO.

After WWE have done so well with the tag division lately, hope they don't fuck it up again.

G-Fresh
February 4th, 2013, 6:07 PM
Both will be released and on their way to TNA by the end of the year.

VHS
February 4th, 2013, 6:08 PM
The two are hysterical together in every aspect of their use, from their promos to their antics on Inbox. And Darren Young is a highly underrated personality, but he's also a fundamentally sound wrestler that's never really gotten the acknowledgement that he deserves, in my opinion. He's Titus' other half, and PTP being disbanded would leave a gaping hole if Darren is relocated to jobber status. Titus and Darren were hopeless before they started tagging with each other, with Titus dancing with Hornswoggle and Darren Young being another generic heel. On their own they're bitter ingredients, but when combined they make the best combination I've seen in years.

I know these Are only front page rumors, but I genuinely wish I worked for WWE so that these horrendous ideas could be shot down. Titus O'neil CAN be a singles competitor with main event potential, but he is far away from that phase.

Hero!
February 4th, 2013, 6:09 PM
Oh cmon, I love PTP! That's 2 tag teams gone too quickly. Not to mention, with Kidd on the shelf, the Gabriel/Kidd team is done too.

We've still got Rey Cara, 3MB, Hell No, Shield (if they ever want to enter the tag division), Usos, and possibly Tensai/Clay, so there's still a tag division. I'll definitely miss Rhodes Scholars & PTP, though ;/

Newf
February 4th, 2013, 8:28 PM
This is stupid. Far too often the WWE goes "Oh, look, this member of this team has some sort of potential over the other member of said team" and somehow that's grounds for a break-up and "push" for said superstar but there isn't any long-term planning beyond "We don't want him stuck in a tag team right now". Do they plan to put the IC or US title on him? Will he get the World or WWE title within a year or two? Titus and Darren have great energy TOGETHER. Take the team away and I don't think Titus has enough on his own, right now, to work with as a singles star. They've got a main event scene. They've got a midcard scene. They don't need Titus in either one of those and Titus, right now, doesn't need to be in either of those either. The tag team scene needs him and vice versa.

That is, of course, assuming the report is true in the first place.

T.I (uh oh)
February 4th, 2013, 8:38 PM
This reminds me of when they saw potential in Shad Gaspard so they broke up Cryme Tyme. 3 weeks after the break up, Shad was back in OVW, and JTG has been a jobber ever since.

Vice
February 4th, 2013, 8:47 PM
This is stupid. Far too often the WWE goes "Oh, look, this member of this team has some sort of potential over the other member of said team" and somehow that's grounds for a break-up and "push" for said superstar but there isn't any long-term planning beyond "We don't want him stuck in a tag team right now". Do they plan to put the IC or US title on him? Will he get the World or WWE title within a year or two? Titus and Darren have great energy TOGETHER. Take the team away and I don't think Titus has enough on his own, right now, to work with as a singles star. They've got a main event scene. They've got a midcard scene. They don't need Titus in either one of those and Titus, right now, doesn't need to be in either of those either. The tag team scene needs him and vice versa.

That is, of course, assuming the report is true in the first place.
Or they could, you know, make an actual storyline out of it. Instead of breaking them up and seeing how Titus fares in singles competition while they are still a team. If it's not working, have him be in the tag team full time again. If he seems like he's really standing out and could go much further than a tag team with Young, give him a title and have him become more of a singles star, and Young gets pissed at him for not focusing on the tag team and instead becoming a success on his own. Young becomes that annoying, jealous guy. THEN Titus can drop Young, either literally or figuratively. This way you can test the waters without potentially screwing something good up, have more months of entertainment with PTP to see if something more can also be made of Young, and have it be an interesting progression rather than the usual tag team separation.

It's not rocket science.

Cewsh
February 4th, 2013, 9:55 PM
Yep.

Really, this shouldn't be surprising anyone. Titus has been extremely impressive and is improving by giant leaps and bounds. Given his size and football background, as well as his comfort on the mic, this was a matter of time.

Newf
February 4th, 2013, 10:14 PM
Or they could, you know, make an actual storyline out of it. Instead of breaking them up and seeing how Titus fares in singles competition while they are still a team. If it's not working, have him be in the tag team full time again. If he seems like he's really standing out and could go much further than a tag team with Young, give him a title and have him become more of a singles star, and Young gets pissed at him for not focusing on the tag team and instead becoming a success on his own. Young becomes that annoying, jealous guy. THEN Titus can drop Young, either literally or figuratively. This way you can test the waters without potentially screwing something good up, have more months of entertainment with PTP to see if something more can also be made of Young, and have it be an interesting progression rather than the usual tag team separation.

It's not rocket science.
Yeah, I could get behind that. On the one hand I'd love for the WWE to shake things up, but not when it comes to a solid tag team. They've got something good with these two at the moment, so I'd prefer they be more conservative if they do go that route. What you described works.

Like TI said, to just straight up break them up with no real plan like they did Cryme Tyme or even the Hart Dynasty (and countless other teams) would just be foolish.

mth
February 4th, 2013, 11:49 PM
I'd be ok with them breaking up if they at least got a bit of a tag title run beforehand. As a team, I think they've earned that. They can split up when they lose the belts.

I think they've both got potential as singles guys but Titus definitely more so.

Simmo Fortyone
February 5th, 2013, 12:06 AM
I wish WWE got it through their thick heads that Shawn Michaels and Edge were exceptions, not the rule.

Cewsh
February 5th, 2013, 12:19 AM
Jeff Hardy, Bradshaw, John Morrison, Triple H, Steve Austin, etc all turned turned out pretty good at one point or another.

Simmo Fortyone
February 5th, 2013, 1:30 AM
Hardy I'll accept, Morrison begrudgingly.

APA only split because Simmons was done (and was a star beforehand), not because "break up feud". DX wasn't really a tag team of rookies, and Austin was reinvented well after the Hollywood Blondes.

Judas Iscariot
February 5th, 2013, 1:39 AM
Jeff Hardy, Bradshaw, John Morrison, Triple H, Steve Austin, etc all turned turned out pretty good at one point or another.

Weren't you the one saying months ago that tag teams don't lead to stars breaking out on their own?

Cewsh sometimes you make me want to club a baby seal.

PTP perplex me. They were gaining steam with AW then that got cut off and it was like they wouldn't be able to get over without a mouthpiece, except that they DID and just as they're making this nice run in the tag division, they start to disappear for no seemingly reason. It doesn't make any sense. And now they're gonna break them up? Madness.

Cewsh
February 5th, 2013, 2:26 AM
I honestly don't remember having that conversation.

It IS a rare thing that usually doesn't happen, but there are more examples of it than Simmo was giving credit for.

VHS
March 19th, 2013, 2:22 PM
PTP rule, that's all.
RAW spoiler:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcCpUEmwW4w

VHS
June 29th, 2013, 11:09 AM
4:30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NaE348H1G3I#at=270

The Law
June 29th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Kaitlyn looks so hot as AJ. Perhaps even better than the real thing.

Kimura Kid
June 29th, 2013, 11:43 AM
Kaitlyn looks so hot as AJ. Perhaps even better than the real thing.

http://whatistheexcel.com/wooobooru/_images/57d2d817569403e939b06f360c27ad28/6426%20-%20Raw%20animated_macro%20daniel_bryan%20gtfo%20ki ck%20running%20sheamus%20wwe.gif

VHS
December 3rd, 2013, 2:05 PM
I liked their match with The Great Americans last night. The announcers really point out Titus's potential, and I couldn't agree more. His look is awesome... AND he can actually bump. The spot that he does where he runs into a corner boot looks painful.

And Darren getting a minute to shine was cool too.

But let's hope this puking thing is over.