PDA

View Full Version : Lincoln

Alf
December 7th, 2012, 11:31 AM
Couldn't find a thread.

Watching it now.

Fuck me it's dull. Yeah, it's well acted. Decently directed... but unless you are well into yanky politics you will find it very boring indeed.

I just do. not. give. a. shit. about. what. they. are. taking. great. length. to say.

Matty C
December 7th, 2012, 1:01 PM
My wife and I were on the way to the theatre trying to decide between Argo and Lincoln. It sounds like we made the right choice.

VHS
December 7th, 2012, 1:14 PM
"You will give this movie the best picture award now... now, now."

Yeah, it was difficult to not fall asleep all the way through. Pass.

Alf
December 7th, 2012, 1:18 PM
If it gets a sniff of best picture then I will vomit everywhere.

DDL does a good impersonation of Lincoln, but it's not exactly a Bill The Butcher performance, so if he gets a sniff of Best Actor I will vomit everywhere. The kid from Life Of Pi should get it.

Fro
December 7th, 2014, 3:10 PM
Finally saw it. Loved it. Spielberg can still bust out a gem now and then. To the above people who were criticizing it, what the hell did you expect it to be? It's a historical biopic focusing on getting slavery abolished, and at that it succeeded. I do wish they would have given us a little more about his assassination though, but I get that that's not what the movie is about.

DDL does a good impersonation of Lincoln

This seems like a strange statement considering none of us know what the man really sounded like. Are you just talking about make up, hair and costume design?

The_Mike
December 7th, 2014, 3:29 PM
We actually do sort of know what he sounds like. There was an actor who portrayed him in early talkies who based the voice on his real voice, which was said to be spot on as it was still in living memory at the time. A lot of people of Lincoln's period noted his voice being strangely high-pitched for his physical size as well, though modern interpretations usually went with a deep, booming voice to give him gravitas.

EDIT: I thought there was another thread on this somewhere, but anyway I thought the film was very good. It certainly feels long, and I can see why if you're not interested in the politics it would be dull, but that's a bit like going to watch a sports film and not liking the sports stuff.

Mik
December 7th, 2014, 6:47 PM
I quite enjoyed it.

The_Mike
December 7th, 2014, 6:54 PM
Speaking of Lincoln, I'm watching Ken Burns' The Civil War on Netflix at the moment. I'd definitely recommend it for history buffs, though the picture is in strangely bad quality. It is from 1990, but I've seen plenty of TV shows from the 80s without such problems. Anyway, has anyone else watched that documentary series?