PDA

View Full Version : Dumb and Dumber To (2) in the Works

Mark Hammer
December 2nd, 2012, 2:59 AM
Just stumbled across this while looking up the original movie on Wikipedia. Apparently Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels WILL be returning to reprise their roles as Lloyd Christmas and Harry Dunne, respectively. Also the Farrelly Brothers will be behind this one as they were the original. And yes, it actually is to be titled "Dumb and Dumber To". Holy shit am I excited about this.

For a while it looked like Dumb and Dumber 2 (http://screenrant.com/tag/dumb-and-dumber-2/) might not be happening after all, following Jim Carrey saying that he stepped away from the sequel. Co-star Jeff Daniels later clarified that the project is indeed coming together slower than Carrey had hoped for, but that the Farrelly Brothers are still intent on making the film (http://screenrant.com/jeff-daniels-dumb-dumber-2/) (with Carrey) as soon as next year.
Bobby Farrelly lent further credence to that claim last month, while discussing the setup for the comedic followup (http://screenrant.com/dumb-dumber-sequel-plot/) to his and brother Pete Farrelly’s beloved lowbrow comedy. Now, both siblings have confirmed that the sequel will indeed be titled Dumb and Dumber To, as long rumored.

The Farrellys made the ‘announcement’ via Twitter (http://twitter.com/farrellybros/status/250761754110476288), telling their followers “You also might be interested to know that we are almost done with the Dumb and Dumber To (sic) script. [We] think you’re going to like it.” However, the siblings refrained from spilling the beans on any other details – such as whether either Harry or Lloyd will be married in the sequel – other than to offer assurances that “they’re the same old guys” from the first film. For our money: Dumb and Dumber To is an amusing title, but we were pulling for the sequel to be called Dumb and Dumber Too instead, since it would’ve worked as a funny, intentional, misuse of grammar – a reference to this technically being the third installment – after the woebegone prequel Dumb and Dumberer: When Harry Met Lloyd (which the Farrellys were not responsible for) – and even a nod to how this followup will be arriving some two decades after the original.
On the other hand, at least the title pun is more appropriate here than with Star Trek Into Darkness (http://screenrant.com/tag/star-trek-2/), right? Moving on…

The quality of the Farellys’ movie output has been mixed since their ‘crowning achievement’ There’s Something About Mary back in 1998 – as evidenced by the varying reactions to raunchy comedies like Shallow Hal, The Heartbreak Kid, Hall Pass, and this year’s tamer offering, Three Stooges (http://screenrant.com/tag/the-three-stooges/). It’s for that reason that many fans of the original D&Der are interested in Dumb and Dumber To, and remain cautiously optimistic about how it will turn out.
Carrey’s star has likewise been traveling a rough road over the past decade, but stands to be rejuvenated by his role as Colonel Stars in next year’s Kick-Ass 2 (http://screenrant.com/tag/kick-ass-2/). Daniels, meanwhile, has been doing well thanks to an ongoing role in Aaron Sorkin’s The Newsroom (http://screenrant.com/tag/the-newsroom/) and featured roles in movies like this week’s Looper (http://screenrant.com/tag/looper/). Hence, the two are actually in decent shape to return to their Dumb and Dumber roles – and attempt to recapture ‘the magic’ – so many years after the fact.

Source: http://screenrant.com/dumb-dumber-2-title-story/

Mik
December 2nd, 2012, 9:34 AM
I'm in!

Clutch
December 2nd, 2012, 6:06 PM
Can't fucking wait!!

Simmo Fortyone
December 2nd, 2012, 6:44 PM
Great news! I love D&D so much. It will be strange seeing Daniels as Harry again after pretty much nothing but serious roles for years since.

"How was your day?"
"Not bad. Fell off the jetway again."

wardy
December 2nd, 2012, 6:45 PM
I thought this had been common knowledge for a while. Can't wait.

VanillaJello
December 2nd, 2012, 7:15 PM
I thought this had been common knowledge for a while. Can't wait.

It was... but when Carrey stepped away... everyone thought it was off.

ReDPath
December 2nd, 2012, 11:27 PM
I'll wait for a trailer and an obvious 90s feeling movie.

mth
December 2nd, 2012, 11:35 PM
Wrong thread, bro?

VHS
December 2nd, 2012, 11:42 PM
Yeah, this news has been floating around for quite a while, and there were even bits about Carey not being able to deal with the execs... saying that it's not worth the headache. But then some sort of agreement was made, and everything seems to be on the way.

I usually don't get excited about sequels. But I'm gonna go with my instinct on this one. I recently rewatched D&D, and it's quite possibly the best comedy of all time. Really, every line is engraved in my mind like I was built to watch it over and over again. Never gets old, never falls flat, and always makes me wonder why the Farrelly Bros. went to such a common denominator with their movies.

If I had any say in the production of this movie, then I'd be highly adamant about filming the movie on the same kind of camera the original D&D was filmed on. Give the movie the same look as the first so it comes off as a real sequel and not a perfectly lit, overproduced stage play. I'm unbelievably excited to see how this philly turns out.

Judas Iscariot
December 3rd, 2012, 1:47 AM
It's gonna wind up being overproduced, but still excited.

Last year Carrey backed out, yeah? And then Daniels is Mr. Serious again, but it looks like this got reconfirmed months ago which I had no idea about.

Those your skis?

Both of 'em?

Mark Hammer
December 3rd, 2012, 6:52 PM
Those your skis?

Both of 'em?

Haha yes!

Zacharie
December 3rd, 2012, 7:42 PM
This is going to be great. Same slackers, but 20 years later. Oh man, they better deliver.

McBain
December 4th, 2012, 5:17 AM
:yes:

Samsonite, I was way off!

Jimmy Zero
December 4th, 2012, 11:01 AM
We got no food, no jobs - - OUR PETS HEADS ARE FALLING OFF!

I can't wait for this. Dumb and Dumber is the funniest movie I've ever seen.

Mark Hammer
December 4th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Easily the funniest I've ever seen too. Why were we once such mortal enemies?

Would you believe that Dumb and Dumber was generally met with 'meh' reactions from most outlets? I find that borderline criminal, it seems that there are many critics who do not have a good sense of humor.

Bad Collin
December 4th, 2012, 1:37 PM
It is a very one dimensional film. I don't think you can criticise people who thought it was meh.

I liked it but I am not sure that it would make my top ten comedy films.

The sequel sounds interesting.

Mark Hammer
December 4th, 2012, 1:55 PM
I will absolutely criticize them because it is the funniest movie ever made.

kangus
December 4th, 2012, 2:29 PM
I'd rate Dumb and Dumber as funny but not legendary. However, since humour is a very subjective thing, not only in terms of what different people find funny but also because what is generally accepted as funny changes from decade to decade, I believe it's a fruitless endeavour to declare a movie funniest of all time based on intangibility.

Simmo Fortyone
December 4th, 2012, 8:05 PM
There are some comedies that are timeless because they don't rely on the humour of the time, if that make sense. Like Caddyshack was probably outright hilarious in 1980, but it hasn't quite stood up to the test of time (not denying it's funny, just it's not as funny now as it probably was then). Whereas D&D doesn't confine itself to a time period in its tone or style - someone could watch it for the first time ever today and find it just as funny as we did in 1994.

Slapstick, absurdest humour never gets old, and is universal.

VHS
June 11th, 2014, 12:55 AM
Yeah, this news has been floating around for quite a while, and there were even bits about Carey not being able to deal with the execs... saying that it's not worth the headache. But then some sort of agreement was made, and everything seems to be on the way.

I usually don't get excited about sequels. But I'm gonna go with my instinct on this one. I recently rewatched D&D, and it's quite possibly the best comedy of all time. Really, every line is engraved in my mind like I was built to watch it over and over again. Never gets old, never falls flat, and always makes me wonder why the Farrelly Bros. went to such a common denominator with their movies.

If I had any say in the production of this movie, then I'd be highly adamant about filming the movie on the same kind of camera the original D&D was filmed on. Give the movie the same look as the first so it comes off as a real sequel and not a perfectly lit, overproduced stage play. I'm unbelievably excited to see how this philly turns out.

Well fuck. Looks like shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGXHVlEklgQ

Compare this to the original trailer. Movies have gone downhill so hard when it comes to this sort of stuff. I think I'm going to cry after I throw up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0zGXZa2dG0

http://giant.gfycat.com/GiantJollyAmericangoldfinch.gif

Bert
June 11th, 2014, 1:23 AM
I don't think it looks that bad. Of course it won't be as good as the first one though.

They were never going to shoot it with the same cameras as the first one so that was a pretty unrealistic expectation.

VHS
June 11th, 2014, 1:33 AM
Ehh, don't I know it.

Myles
June 11th, 2014, 3:06 AM
dumb and dumber was pretty shit to begin with. maybe i never got it, but i always thought it was overrated trash.

tbf i generally hate comedies and very few ever rate with me. big lebowski is one of the few comedies i have watched a few times.

McBain
June 11th, 2014, 3:14 AM
Could be alright. The explanation of the 20 year gap is perfect.

Dodgy Browne
June 11th, 2014, 4:05 AM
I don't see the problem. It's the same style as part one.
If you're going to be a Negatron based on the trailer alone, sucks for you.

Mik
June 11th, 2014, 6:29 AM
Its looks toss. Too many recycled jokes, badly written and neither Jim Carrey nor Jeff Daniels are as natural comedic performers now as they were in the original. They look like copy cat performances.

Simon
June 11th, 2014, 7:10 AM
The fact that the trailer has five or six re-hashed "for the fans" jokes from the original is worrying, as are the crude and unfunny catheter and granny-fingering jokes, but having said that I laughed out loud a couple of times...sadly I imagine as with most comedies nowadays, the trailer probably contains all the funniest moments, so this will probably be terrible. Although it does have Rob Riggle in it, and he never lets you down.

ReDPath
June 11th, 2014, 7:42 AM
It looks half 1990s (the good aspects), half everything that sucks about movies today.

Really a coin toss with this film.

Jimmy Zero
June 11th, 2014, 9:48 AM
Its looks toss. Too many recycled jokes, badly written and neither Jim Carrey nor Jeff Daniels are as natural comedic performers now as they were in the original. They look like copy cat performances.

This was my reaction, too.

Fro
June 11th, 2014, 9:53 AM
Looks fine. Exactly what I expected

Donald
June 11th, 2014, 10:06 AM
Only saw Dumb and Dumber once, and that was 20 years ago. I will give this a shot as I can't recall a Jim Carrey movie I've disliked.

McBain
June 11th, 2014, 11:48 AM
You should really have watched D&D a couple more times then. It's brilliant.

Mark Hammer
June 11th, 2014, 6:31 PM
The fact that the trailer has five or six re-hashed "for the fans" jokes from the original is worrying, as are the crude and unfunny catheter and granny-fingering jokes, but having said that I laughed out loud a couple of times...sadly I imagine as with most comedies nowadays, the trailer probably contains all the funniest moments, so this will probably be terrible. Although it does have Rob Riggle in it, and he never lets you down.

I lol'ed at Butthole the cat but the rest of the trailer was meh. I'll still watch it as I am a huge fan of the original but my expectations are not high.

wardy
June 11th, 2014, 6:37 PM
I only hope that it's not absolute shit. The trailer doesn't fill me with confidence though.

The Rick
June 11th, 2014, 6:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDwrdSBbyaY

Judas Iscariot
June 11th, 2014, 6:52 PM
Looks terrible. Maybe I'll rent it from Blockbuster like I did the first one.

Myles
June 11th, 2014, 7:30 PM
this looks horrible, absolute garbage that shouldn't have even been made. dumb and dumber represents everything that is wrong with hollywood and the american movie going public. disgraceful.

truffle_shuffle
June 11th, 2014, 7:53 PM
I expect the next big attack on the us to be conducted by myles bin laden here.

G-Fresh
June 11th, 2014, 8:26 PM
This shit looks dope. Ya'll be trippin.

Myles
June 12th, 2014, 7:22 AM
I expect the next big attack on the us to be conducted by myles bin laden here.

:lol: hmmmmmmmmmmmm i wonder if this is a sock or not

Mark Hammer
June 12th, 2014, 7:27 AM
In all seriousness what a random thread you've selected to troll.

mth
June 14th, 2014, 1:21 PM
:dunno: Don't see how the trailer makes it look any different/worse than the first but then I think the first one's overrated as hell anyway.

ReDPath
September 6th, 2016, 11:02 AM
Finally got around to watching this fully.

It had the same look, the same music, same director, same actors, same characters, etc. What it didn't have was the touch that the original film had. Even 20 years after the fact.

You can take the film out of the 90s but you can't take the 90s out of the film. That's part of it. The other part of it is im guessing once everybody agreed to do this film after all this time. They realized it was never going to be anywhere close to the original, so lets turn up the slapstick and make things beyond dumb. I'm sure Carrey and Daniels enjoyed coming back to the concept after all these years. You wouldn't know it by watching the film though. The writing was lazy, in turn the plot was lazy and the performances were over the top and lifeless. Harry and Lloyd simply weren't that stupid in the original film, so in this film, it invalidates the whole thing. They went too far. Yet it seems they knew they couldn't replicate that magic again, so I can see why they went the direction they did. I just think Harry and Lloyd were believable people in the original film. In this film, no chance.

It's films like this that make me hope other franchises don't try to rekindle magic from decades past. Looking at Ace Ventura for starters.

Seanny One Ball
September 6th, 2016, 2:45 PM
Finally got around to watching this fully.

It had the same look, the same music, same director, same actors, same characters, etc. What it didn't have was the touch that the original film had. Even 20 years after the fact.

:wtf:

The writing was lazy, in turn the plot was lazy and the performances were over the top and lifeless.

"performances were over the top and lifeless" is a pretty perfect oxymoron.

Harry and Lloyd simply weren't that stupid in the original film, so in this film, it invalidates the whole thing. They went too far.

You don't think Harry and Lloyd were "that" dumb in Dumb And Dumber, the most delightfully stupid movie of all time? A movie in which the two protagonists accidentally refuse the advances of a bus full of swimsuit clad Swedish babes. You don't think that's dumb?

I just think Harry and Lloyd were believable people in the original film. In this film, no chance.

Harry was a mobile dog groomer with a van decorated like a fucking dog in which he feeds the dogs he's supposed to be grooming with deli sandwiches and hot dogs.
Lloyd is a borderline sociopathic limo driver who sold a dead bird to a blind kid, drugged his friend before a hot date, followed a stranger all the way to Aspen Colorado because he intercepted her "lost" luggage after following her through the airport where he dropped her off, and who is noted as having a history of this exact routine.

What on Earth are you talking about?

It's films like this that make me hope other franchises don't try to rekindle magic from decades past. Looking at Ace Ventura for starters.

Aside from all of the utter nonsense you just posted I figured I'd throw in my two cents.

Dumb and Dumber Too is a funny film that pretty much cracked me up when I saw it. It's a long way off the original and as a stand alone comedy it's not that great but it was nice to see the characters again and I absolutely love Jim Carrey so to see him return to a comedy that wasn't aimed at family was great.
I hope he does a lot more of it to be honest and I wouldn't mind at all if they made a third though it truly would be unnecessary.

Donald
September 6th, 2016, 2:54 PM
They're resurrecting old franchises left and right these days.

I thought Dumb and Dumber To was ok. I do love Jim Carrey.

Seanny One Ball
September 6th, 2016, 2:56 PM
Rush Hour 4 please

Kneeneighbor
September 6th, 2016, 3:03 PM
I want Ace Ventura 3

ReDPath
September 6th, 2016, 3:10 PM
"performances were over the top and lifeless" is a pretty perfect oxymoron.

Jeff and Jim were pretty over the top. Laurie Holden and everybody else were going through the motions of a terrible script.

You don't think Harry and Lloyd were "that" dumb in Dumb And Dumber, the most delightfully stupid movie of all time? A movie in which the two protagonists accidentally refuse the advances of a bus full of swimsuit clad Swedish babes. You don't think that's dumb?

Allegedly, they were going to get on that bus to give the two characters a happier ending but Carrey wouldn't finish the movie in protest because he felt its not what the characters would do. He is correct. They portrayed the characters as exaggerated versions of themselves in the sequel I feel. Like they were kids or something. It was silly. Not knowing what sex is after all the sexual stuff with Mary from the original and the backstory on Felcher. Sorry, I felt they went too far in the sequel.

Aside from all of the utter nonsense you just posted I figured I'd throw in my two cents.

I feel like if I said the film was one of the best sequels of all time. You would've said the opposite.

Dumb and Dumber Too is a funny film that pretty much cracked me up when I saw it. It's a long way off the original and as a stand alone comedy it's not that great but it was nice to see the characters again and I absolutely love Jim Carrey so to see him return to a comedy that wasn't aimed at family was great.
I hope he does a lot more of it to be honest and I wouldn't mind at all if they made a third though it truly would be unnecessary.

I think I laughed maybe once when I watched the movie. I would be surprised if they made a 3rd film, but JMO.

kangus
September 6th, 2016, 3:12 PM
They had that awful Rush Hour TV show which was canceled after one season. I don't understand why they thought it would be any sort of success without Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker.

Gary J
September 6th, 2016, 3:48 PM
I want Ace Ventura 3

They did one it was Ace Ventura JR or some nonsense.

Gary J
September 6th, 2016, 3:49 PM
They had that awful Rush Hour TV show which was canceled after one season. I don't understand why they thought it would be any sort of success without Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker.

I foresee a similar future for the Lethal Weapon tv show.

Donald
September 6th, 2016, 3:51 PM
Nostalgia is running wild these days. Fucking Exorcist TV show out there ffs.

Mark Hammer
September 6th, 2016, 5:20 PM
Dumb and Dumber 2 was great. Not as good as the original though. So basically what Seanny said.

Eddie Brock
September 6th, 2016, 8:30 PM
I did appreciate the attempt to make a comedy. There were definitely laughs here. Just not enough of them. Think of all the ways the world has changed since 1994. The Internet. Smart phones. Social media.

And yet, Lloyd seems to adjust fine to the world after Harry frees him from the hospital. It brings back good memories of times past, but it ultimately isn't the same. Nothing hilarious, and overall, I'd say it was just okay. I grew up on the original so I understand its humor inside and out, and I know what makes the original work, and this movie wasn't the same characters. Lloyd was crude and overacted. If you watch the original, Carrey played Lloyd as a guy who was a little self centered, but his heart was in the right place. In this movie, he was a prick. That wasn't Lloyd. Harry was mostly the same, but he also fantasized about letting a dog lick his nut sack. Such a waste of a build up.