PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a Movie

RuneEdge
November 30th, 2012, 9:29 PM
I thought we could use this thread to help people decide on what to watch next. Whether it be a recommendation based on what kind of movie they're looking for, or maybe just help people pick out movies from a selection they're unsure about.
This sounded like the kind of thread we probably would've had by now but I couldn't find one so yeah, here we go.

I'm (or at least was) one of those guys you'd meet who hadn't seen so many "must see movies". I'd watch the occasional film if it was something I couldn't escape hearing about but there were too many that people would tell me I should have seen by now. About 18 months ago I kind of decided I wanted to go back and watch everything I missed out on. Since then I think I might have averaged almost a movie every day. More often than not, I try to get in two new movies every night, sometimes even three, but rarely a day goes by where I dont watch something.

I go onto IMDB or Wikipedia, pick an actor I like and literally try to watch all of his top 5-6 movies, which would then introduce me to other actors and side track into their filmography. I've reached a point now where I'm out of ideas. I still have movies on my list of films I need to watch but I've really narrowed it down to the ones that interest me the least (not to say they're bad movies), which is where the idea of this thread comes from.

I've got about 4 movies line up right now but after that I want to watch two more from the following. Which ones do I go for?

Raging Bull
Taxi Driver
The Godfather Trilogy (count them as a double pick)
Forrest Gump
Up
The Green Mile
Jackie Brown

Mark Hammer
November 30th, 2012, 9:32 PM
Forrest Gump and The Green Mile. Have you really never seen them? They're easily two of the best movies of all time. They'll both probably make you cry too.

Jimmy Zero
November 30th, 2012, 9:42 PM
I'd go with Up, then Raging Bull.

One Man Gang
November 30th, 2012, 9:46 PM
Go with Taxi Driver and Forrest Gump

The Rick
November 30th, 2012, 9:53 PM
Up cause its quicker. Then settle in for the Godfather (just watch I & II for now though)

Atty
November 30th, 2012, 9:55 PM
Forrest Gump first. How has someone not seen this? I guess Taxi Driver for the second.

RuneEdge
November 30th, 2012, 10:01 PM
Forrest Gump and Taxi Driver it is, then.

Where does Jackie Brown rank among the other Tarantino movies?

Jimmy Zero
November 30th, 2012, 10:03 PM
Jacking Brown is good, not great.

Fro
November 30th, 2012, 10:06 PM
I've got about 4 movies line up right now but after that I want to watch two more from the following. Which ones do I go for?

Raging Bull
Taxi Driver
The Godfather Trilogy (count them as a double pick)
Forrest Gump
Up
The Green Mile
Jackie Brown

Green Mile is good but super long and sort of boring. Worth a watch for sure but not above these other ones.
Jackie Brown I love but it's not on the level of Pulp Fiction/Reservoir Dogs which I'm assuming you've seen.
Up is good too but a bit overrated in my opinion and not in my top 5 Pixar flicks. See Finding Nemo, Incredibles and the Toy Story films first if you haven't already.

Those are the ones I'd rule out.

Raging Bull and Taxi Driver are both great and somewhat similar in that they're both super gritty, early Scorses films with De Niro giving one of his signature late 70s performances. Both are fantastic. I personally prefer Raging Bull but Taxi Driver is the more iconic film. Boxer or psycho taxi driver, which appeals to you more?

Forrest Gump is a brilliant telling of American history in the mid 20th century through the eyes of a simpleton. Highly recommended.

My recommendation goes to The Godfather 1 & 2 though. These films are widely considered among the best of all time and it's not just the trendy pick, they're actually that good. Absolutely brilliant performances by Pacino and Brando in the first one, and Pacino and De Niro in the second one. The definition of what a drama or mafia movie should be. Slow paced but they're so good that I wouldn't shorten them by a minute.

RuneEdge
November 30th, 2012, 10:16 PM
Yeah, seen the other Pixar movies you listed there and the Tarantino movies. So I suppose Forrest Gump and Taxi Driver are a good place to start and I'll probably move onto The Green Mile next. Just watched Donnie Brasco yesterday so I'll probably want to wait a bit before another Mafia movie.

Mark Hammer
November 30th, 2012, 10:22 PM
Fro is right about The Green Mile. It's a fantastic movie but it is long and pretty slow (reminds me of Benjamin Button in that regard). Forrest Gump is pretty long too iirc however there isn't a slow or boring moment in it. You will thank everyone who suggested that you watch it. I'm curious to hear your two cents afterwards, mind letting us know how you liked it?

Atty
November 30th, 2012, 10:28 PM
I can't remember ever not having seen Forrest Gump. I think I knew it by heart before it was out.

Mark Hammer
November 30th, 2012, 10:29 PM
I bet I've seen it more times than you. :cool:

RuneEdge
November 30th, 2012, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the input, guys.

I'm curious to hear your two cents afterwards, mind letting us know how you liked it?
Will do. :yes:

Fro
November 30th, 2012, 10:38 PM
Where does Jackie Brown rank among the other Tarantino movies?

Tough to say. I feel like there's little consensus on the ranking of Jackie Brown, Kill Bill and Inglourious Basterds. While Jackie had the least favorable critical response, a lot of fans consider it underrated and think it got a bad rap because it was similar to but not nearly as godly as Pulp Fiction. It definitely has its flaws, as do the other ones. Personally I'd go Kill Bill, Jackie, Basterds, Death Proof.

Needless to say his first two are a cut above.

lotjx
November 30th, 2012, 10:48 PM
I would go with Godfather, but I am Sicilian and all of us have it sitting on our mantles and have to recite entire scenes before we can be considered men. I do love Green Mile, but my second pick would be Jackie Brown. I think Kill Bill 2 is probably his not as good film, because I love all of QT's films, but 2 seemed like such a step down from 1 and even if you put them together its not as good as the others.

I steal cable
December 1st, 2012, 12:47 AM
Jackie Brown is my favourite Tarantino film. Bloody love it. Love the characters and story. Could watch Pam Grier and Robert Forster for hours.

Rip
December 1st, 2012, 2:44 PM
Green Mile is excellent, but you have to be in the right mood because it is long, and at time hard going.

On the right occasion it's the best movie you'll ever see, but if you're not in the right frame of mind it'll bore the tits off you

Myles
December 1st, 2012, 3:14 PM
I watched Primal Fear for the first time a couple of weeks ago. How I had never seen this? I don't know, but it was awesome, Edward Norton's breakout role was excellent.

I would suggest that to anyone that hasn't seen it. :yes:

Mik
December 2nd, 2012, 10:38 AM
If you havent seen the Godfather films...you need to see the Godfather films.

RuneEdge
December 3rd, 2012, 6:53 PM
My thoughts on Forrest Gump.

So I got around to seeing Forrest Gump. I thought it was good, but not as great as some people say it is. I felt Forrest was easy to emotionally invest in, but they focus too much on him alone and not his relationship with others IMO. I personally didnt feel much of the connection he had with his mother, Jenny, the people he meets and calls his friends, etc.
I mean, the scene when he learns he has a son really got to me. But when Jenny dies, it didnt really have the same effect. And you get the sense that you should have but I just didnt care as much.

I suppose the great reviews really raised my expectations. I personally thought it could've been better.

Guy
December 3rd, 2012, 6:59 PM
After that last line then, I suggest that every film you watch from now on you really really try to take your expectations down a few notches.

Over-hype can completely obliterate movies for me sometimes, so much so that every now and then I refuse to see a movie that's caught up in a wave of hype and emotional investment because I want to judge it on its own terms and not love it because I feel I should or hate it because I was expecting something more.

It's why I've yet to see Prometheus. Working with media professionals all day, all I heard from them day in and day out was how incredible the movie was going to be. all of them so heavily invested in Ridley Scott's career and with it being a semi-prequel to Alien. However I wasn't so sure it could live up to the hype so didn't bother seeing it. I'll get around to watching it soon now that they hype has died down, people have gone through their apparent disappointment with it and now I can judge it on its own terms.

RuneEdge
December 3rd, 2012, 8:17 PM
I've had movies in the past where they've been hyped up beyond what I think it could possibly deliver, but I still leave satisfied. TDKR and The Avengers are two examples from this year alone. And its not a case of me not liking comedy/dramas like Forrest Gump. In fact, its a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine.

I just didnt think it deserves the praise it gets, Im not saying I didnt enjoy it.

Myles
December 4th, 2012, 3:07 PM
Forrest Gump is right wing propaganda trash. The way Abbie Hoffman came out looking was a joke.

George W. Bush was basically a real life Forrest Gump, and America's love for the simple man was a big reason he got elected. Why are the majority of Americans intimidated by intelligence?

I'm not going to take anything away from Tom Hanks, as he was solid, but in my opinion Forrest Gump was one of, if not the, most overrated film of the 1990s. The movie beat out Pulp Fiction and Shawshank for best picture ffs. :wtf:

Matty C
December 4th, 2012, 3:22 PM
It's why I've yet to see Prometheus. Working with media professionals all day, all I heard from them day in and day out was how incredible the movie was going to be. all of them so heavily invested in Ridley Scott's career and with it being a semi-prequel to Alien. However I wasn't so sure it could live up to the hype so didn't bother seeing it. I'll get around to watching it soon now that they hype has died down, people have gone through their apparent disappointment with it and now I can judge it on its own terms.

It wasn't all that great. There, now you can go see it. :lol:

I love Forrest Gump. I find his journey compelling and his character easy to love. I don't think we're really supposed to like Jenny. She's flighty and self-absorbed. What we're supposed to feel when she dies is pity for Forrest, who had finally made the connection with her that he had been travelling toward his entire life, only to have her die.

I have no idea what you're on about Myles.

WizoOzz
December 4th, 2012, 3:47 PM
What we're supposed to feel when she dies is pity for Forrest, who had finally made the connection with her that he had been travelling toward his entire life, only to have her die.

This. It's obvious that he's a simpleton, but he's been chasing this woman for years. He loves her beyond measure, and at each and every turn he misses her by that much. So, he finally has her, and as it should be "happily ever after," she keels over. Not being one who views death as something necessarily to fear or mourn over, the emotion that was tied up in basically his chase for what he feels to be his one true love is what gets me. Like throughout the rest of the movie before - it was right there, and flew right past him.

There are days where I feel like that. It's not about the interactions with American history - those are there for fun. It's about love, and how even a very simple man deserves just that one courtesy. Good shit, great movie.

Myles
December 4th, 2012, 3:57 PM
It wasn't all that great. There, now you can go see it. :lol:

I love Forrest Gump. I find his journey compelling and his character easy to love. I don't think we're really supposed to like Jenny. She's flighty and self-absorbed. What we're supposed to feel when she dies is pity for Forrest, who had finally made the connection with her that he had been travelling toward his entire life, only to have her die.

I have no idea what you're on about Myles.

one of the many examples... his girl goes out and lives her life. She doesn't want to be with him as he is boring and plain, so she goes out and does some drugs, sleeps with some exciting men and experiences some vices. Nothing wrong with living life... what happnes to her? She gets aids as a consequence for her actions.

What does this teach us? Be boring and stupid, do what you're told or else you will get aids. :lol:

so many more examples of this sort of nonsense in the movie.

How did Morgan Freeman lose to this?

Myles
December 4th, 2012, 4:11 PM
I thought it was pretty common knowledge that this film was surrounded by controversy.

"I have a still-lingering resentment of that film, which I and many others disliked from the get-go for the way it kept saying 'keep your head down', for its celebration of clueless serendipity and simpleton-ism, and particularly for the propagandistic way it portrayed '60s-era counter-culture types and in fact that whole convulsive period.

"Every secondary hippie or protestor character in that film was a selfish loutish asshole, and every man and woman in the military was modest, decent and considerate. These and other aspects convinced me that the film was basically reactionary Republican horseshit, and led me to write an L.A. Times Syndicate piece called 'Gump vs. Grumps,' about the Forrest Gump backlash.

"No offense to screenwriter Eric Roth, who's a good fellow and a brilliant writer.

In response to which an HE reader named "hcat" said the following: "I have the same problem with Gump. While it flows well and is quite funny throughout, I hate the way it continually rewards Forrest for his stupidity and punishes Jenny for her exploration.

"What especially irks me is the fact that it criticizes the counter-culture and the hippies, but cues up their music every time they need a quick nostalgia hit. Gump is a country boy and the soundtrack should have been wall to wall Oak Ridge Boys. But that way I can't imagine it being anywhere near the hit it was."

Mark Hammer
December 4th, 2012, 4:22 PM
Forrest Gump is right wing propaganda trash. The way Abbie Hoffman came out looking was a joke.

George W. Bush was basically a real life Forrest Gump, and America's love for the simple man was a big reason he got elected. Why are the majority of Americans intimidated by intelligence?

I'm not going to take anything away from Tom Hanks, as he was solid, but in my opinion Forrest Gump was one of, if not the, most overrated film of the 1990s. The movie beat out Pulp Fiction and Shawshank for best picture ffs. :wtf:

I generally find myself enjoying you and your posts Myles. But this one is outlandish. I enjoyed Forrest Gump more than I did Pulp Fiction and The Shawshank Redemption combined.

Myles
December 4th, 2012, 4:27 PM
no offense bro, but you're the middle America that forrest gump appeals to.

There are countless articles and debates out there that offer both sides on whether or not Forrest Gump was propaganda. The fact that guys like matty and yourself can't even seen the Republican agenda is alarming.

I like you, and think you're a rather intelligent young man, so I'm going to chalk this up as a misunderstanding. If my memory serves correct though (which I'm sure it does) mattyc has been very vocal about his support for Stephen Harper and our Conservative goverment, as well as his family values. So I'm not really suprised, more disappointed if anything.

Come on boys. :(

Mark Hammer
December 4th, 2012, 4:39 PM
Who cares if it was lined with propaganda? I just enjoyed it for what it was, a great film. It didn't have a single effect on any of my political views.

Matty C
December 4th, 2012, 4:44 PM
Make a thread in off-topic if you want me to justify supporting the Harper Tories. I have no issue doing so and feel confident that I can defend my political positions against you from what I’ve seen and heard in the past.

Forrest Gump is about a simple man stumbling through life, trying to do right. The girl he loves is from a bad family and falls into flighty, self-destructive lifestyle that continuously keeps them apart. Are all hippies self-indulgent assholes? Obviously not, my Mother is a wonderful woman for example. But in order for us to feel sorry for Forrest you need people to be keeping Jenny from him. The people surrounding Jenny thus must come across as unlikeable. Jenny is often surrounded by hippies because… wait for it… she’s a hippie.

Reading more into this is asinine. So drop the condescending tone. You're not somehow more in the know here.

Myles
December 4th, 2012, 4:46 PM
agreed that what really matters is what you like, not what you are like... Books, records, films -- these things matter. Call me shallow but it's the fuckin' truth.

RuneEdge
December 4th, 2012, 5:22 PM
I didnt mean I should've felt something for Jenny. I just didnt feel anything for Forrest either when I probably should have. I imagine the idea was to feel sorry for Forrest but there wasnt as much of a emotional connection between him and Jenny as there should've been IMO.

Mik
December 4th, 2012, 6:20 PM
I've read a lot of articles in the past about Forrest Gump being Republican propoganda. It isnt exactly an outlandish reading.

Ringo
December 4th, 2012, 6:43 PM
I remember having that sort of feeling when I last saw it, maybe 5/6 years ago. It is not a film I like one bit.

Jimmy Zero
December 4th, 2012, 7:02 PM
I've read a lot of articles in the past about Forrest Gump being Republican propoganda. It isnt exactly an outlandish reading.

Links to any of these you'd recommend? That actually sounds like a pretty interesting read. I don't agree with the notion that it's Republican propaganda, on the surface, but I'd love to see the argument for it.

Myles
December 5th, 2012, 12:43 AM
In my first year uni film class we had to watch and critique Forest Gump. We were required to do readings on this film and comment on whether or not it was an accurate representation of american history, as well as the right wing propaganda debates. I looked for some old stuff, but couldn't find any. My old uni won't let me cruise their online academic journals since I'm no longer a student. :(

Our hippie teacher bashed this movie hard while gave love to the big lebowski. :) I wish I had taken more film and media studies and less economics.

Fro
December 5th, 2012, 12:50 AM
I think the point about its slant is valid but to call it propaganda is a misuse of that word. That's like saying The Big Lebowski is left wing propaganda.

Myles
December 5th, 2012, 1:02 AM
I can agree with that.

The problem is most people interpret the way the film shows certain events as the truth. Your average American, or Westerner for that matter, is easily manipulated by film and the media. Now I wasn't alive in the 60s, so I have no first hand experience of what the North American atmosphere was like, but from everything I have read or ever studied I'm pretty sure the events in this film aren't 100% accurate. The trouble arises when your average middle class American sees a film like this and laughs at all the dirty hippy drug taking left wingers.The film reenforces values and views that are in line with the right. Whether or not that is propaganda I'm not sure.

But for all the flack hollywood takes for being left wing and soft, this film is pretty valid example of it going the other way.

Guy
December 5th, 2012, 3:39 AM
I'm pretty sure your ex-hippy lecturer probably has his own negotiated reading of the text due to the hippies in the movie being represented as emotionally antagonistic characters,but I very much doubt that is the preferred or intended reading.

It's more likely that the film was just based in the sixties, and the best way to have Jenny constantly away from Forest is to have her be a flighty, band following, hippy type. I don't think the film is saying "all hippies are evil" anymore than it says "all ex-serviceman are ungrateful bastards" or "all women will break your heart".

And this argument..

one of the many examples... his girl goes out and lives her life. She doesn't want to be with him as he is boring and plain, so she goes out and does some drugs, sleeps with some exciting men and experiences some vices. Nothing wrong with living life... what happnes to her? She gets aids as a consequence for her actions.

What does this teach us? Be boring and stupid, do what you're told or else you will get aids. :lol:

...is hilarious considering the main character of the movie earns a scholarship, becomes a football player, meets the president, joins the army, starts a shrimping business, meets the president AGAIN, plays international Ping Pong, meets the president AGAIN, gets on a TV talk show, becomes a millionaire, runs for three years, becomes a celebrity, etc.

Gump has the most diverse and interesting life of any character in that movie, the only difference being he politely stumbles through his with no rhyme or reason where as she actively seeks out self-destructive situations in order to validate herself.

WizoOzz
December 5th, 2012, 9:17 AM
While I can get the argument that there is some right-wing slant that can be interpreted through the watching of the movie, I guess I'm more dense than the average American viewing public and watched the movie to get entangled in the emotional plot points, rather than the political. Viewing the film, as I do most art, with the emotional eye for the actual art contained within. Which sadly I am wont to do.

I believe that you'll be hard-pressed to find as many right-wing political thinkers in Hollywood - at least that are somehow relevant - than left-wingers. From what I can see, the left have a pretty heavy stronghold in terms of relevant outlets in Hollywood than do the right. Honestly, who's more relevant (in a pop culture sense), Jon Voight or George Clooney?

The Rogerer
December 5th, 2012, 9:43 AM
I'm pretty sure the events in this film aren't 100% accurate.Come on. I saw it on release as a child, and although I can't remember it clearly I understood pretty clearly that it was meant to be a fairytale.

Matty C
December 5th, 2012, 10:06 AM
Gump is the hero, so wherever he goes they surround him with likeable people. I suppose you could take issue with his path, given that he went into the military and was clearly pro-America, but I really don't think most people saw it as an endorsement of the US Government. They saw it as a simple man on an incredible journey, trying and failing over and over again to find the love of his life.

Now if you wanted to argue that something like Independence Day was blatantly American propoganda, I would agree, despite actaully enjoying the film.

Fro
December 5th, 2012, 10:12 AM
The only thing Independence Day is propaganda for is awesomeness.

Mark Hammer
December 5th, 2012, 11:00 AM
In my first year uni film class we had to watch and critique Forest Gump. We were required to do readings on this film and comment on whether or not it was an accurate representation of american history, as well as the right wing propaganda debates. I looked for some old stuff, but couldn't find any. My old uni won't let me cruise their online academic journals since I'm no longer a student. :(

Our hippie teacher bashed this movie hard while gave love to the big lebowski. :) I wish I had taken more film and media studies and less economics.

When was it ever passed off as an accurate representation of American history though? The entire story was viewed through the eyes of a simpleton for God's sake, anyone who'd pick this up over a history book to actually learn something is an idiot. But at the same time people over-thinking the hell out of it like you and your uni colleagues aren't much better. It was a great film. And that's what it's supposed to be, nothing more, nothing less. Some people are incapable of just enjoying something for what it is.

You do sound like your typical brainwashed rich college kid. No offense intended, but I see it a lot: "Daddy paid for my tuition so now I must assume an extreme left wing point of view and look down my nose at everyone who doesn't, I know everything now because I went to college". It is a weird phenomenon.

Mark Hammer
December 5th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Come on. I saw it on release as a child, and although I can't remember it clearly I understood pretty clearly that it was meant to be a fairytale.

Seriously. Forrest Gump is a Hollywood film Myles, not a fucking documentary. I hope everyone in your uni course had fun feeling intelligent for overthinking something to such drastic levels.

The Rogerer
December 5th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Is this like when a load of US critics spent half their reviews of 300 talking about the Iraq War?

Mark Hammer
December 5th, 2012, 11:23 AM
I can agree with that.

The problem is most people interpret the way the film shows certain events as the truth. Your average American, or Westerner for that matter, is easily manipulated by film and the media.

I can't even begin to express what a brutal line of bullshit this is. Are we influenced by the Little Mermaid too Myles?

Mark Hammer
December 5th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Is this like when a load of US critics spent half their reviews of 300 talking about the Iraq War?

It only takes one person to bring up politics for it to devolve into that. Works every time, I'm beginning to wonder if Myles was deliberately trolling this thread. If he was I admit it worked.

Jimmy Zero
December 5th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Yeah, the more I'm seeing of this whole Forrest Gump as republican propaganda, the more I'm thinking it's a load of bullshit.

Matty C
December 5th, 2012, 11:40 AM
There are a million films that depict the Government as an evil empire, with the hero raging against it. Are these left-wing propaganda then? When the X-Files depicted the government as hiding the truth from the masses and feeding us with a bunch of lies, was that left wing propaganda? In Die Hard when the FBI is depicted as a bunch of meddling fools too caught up in their own hype to listen, was that propaganda as well? I mean, the public could watch these and think that they are accurate depictions of the FBI.

Or are they just stories that needed a villain to counter their hero?

Chris
December 5th, 2012, 12:01 PM
I find it hard to believe anyone came away from the film making this leap of logic. That's like saying The Empire Strikes Back teaches us that if you try and help people escape persecution, you'll be frozen in carbonite.

There are a boatload of films which don't accurately portray American history. I'm not sure why Forrest Gump is particularly guilty. The fact that Gump manages to do all of the things Guy listed surely emphasises the fact that it is complete fiction and not to be taken as a serious overview of the key political and social changes in America. The portrayal of Jenny in the film is simply to make us feel sympathy for Gump; that he continues to love her despite the lack of reciprocity and that she's taken away just as they finally find happiness. Her character serves that function; she's a plot device that drives the story about his personal journey. I don't think it was ever meant to be a prominent message about people who choose to sleep around or take drugs.

The Rogerer
December 5th, 2012, 12:05 PM
It should have been all the monogamous, non-needle sharing people who got AIDS. Open your mind man.

Mark Hammer
December 5th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Oof Myles has been thoroughly ripped apart in here. Maybe he should try to contact his old politically-motivated professor and direct him this way for back up.

Myles
December 5th, 2012, 2:20 PM
It only takes one person to bring up politics for it to devolve into that. Works every time, I'm beginning to wonder if Myles was deliberately trolling this thread. If he was I admit it worked.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-MnRU6I12IGI/TkycU0UyVtI/AAAAAAAAPrU/aPCjrTBGeGo/s1600/troll+wishnik.jpg

once again agreed that what really matters is what you like, not what you are like... Books, records, films -- these things matter. Call me shallow but it's the fuckin' truth.

Myles
December 5th, 2012, 2:31 PM
You do sound like your typical brainwashed rich college kid. No offense intended, but I see it a lot: "Daddy paid for my tuition so now I must assume an extreme left wing point of view and look down my nose at everyone who doesn't, I know everything now because I went to college". It is a weird phenomenon.

yer, those dirty michael moore loving, che guevara shirt wearing, latte drinking liberals. Maybe we should send the National Guard in and fuck em up Kent State style. :lol:

Mark Hammer
December 5th, 2012, 3:24 PM
yer, those dirty michael moore loving, che guevara shirt wearing, latte drinking liberals. Maybe we should send the National Guard in and fuck em up Kent State style. :lol:

As an adult I am above thinking it's cool to hate the government but I still would prefer that they leave me the hell alone and stay out of my business as much as possible. I'm very libertarian in that regard. But I do realize there is only black and white in your eyes (and the eyes of the countless people who are just like you), and contrary to what you think it is possible to find a middle ground and not be extreme one way or the other.

But yes, the pseudo-intellectual left wing modern hippies are nothing more than sheep and I'm sorry if that bursts your rich uni bubble.

Tainted Eclipse
December 6th, 2012, 4:40 PM
the points myles brings up are reasonable things to consider actually. but its still a fun movie. i dont think it behooves anyone to look at it as social commentary or a "serious" work of art one way or the other, its just a fun piece of melodramatic cinema(said in the nicest way possible).

although

this is a pretty simplistic viewing of things coming from a stance of saying not to have a simplistic viewing of things. she was drawn deep into a subculture, and away from forrest (and everything else about her childhood life) because she was sexually abused.

Jimmy Zero
December 6th, 2012, 7:02 PM
she was drawn deep into a subculture, and away from forrest (and everything else about her childhood life) because she was sexually abused.

This point is why I think the Forrest Gump republican propaganda thing is largely ridiculous.

The main argument for the movie being propaganda seems to be that Forrest keeps his head down, does what he's told, doesn't question authority, and is, therefore, a successful person. Jenny, on the other hand, experiments with drugs and sex and immerses herself in the counter culture, and she dies of AIDS. The other biggest pro-propaganda point seems to be that the people Forest's life, particularly in the army, are portrayed as likable good guys (which isn't true, Lt. Dan was a huge asshole for a good chunk of his time in the movie), while the people in Jenny's life are dicks.

I feel like both points ignore the fact that six year old Jenny was being sexually abused by her father (or whoever the hell that guy was), especially the second point. It's far too simplistic to just be like, "oh, the hippies and counter culture were portrayed negatively, therefore this is obviously republican propaganda," instead of recognizing that we're not getting a microcosm of the counter culture as a whole. We're seeing the counter culture that Jenny's been exposed to. It should come as a surprise to no one that a girl abused the way she was would grow up to surround herself with abusive people. That shit is text book.

The Rogerer
December 6th, 2012, 7:09 PM
It bothers me that we're losing a sense of romanticism and theatricality all over. We now have to create CGI monstrosities because we can't accept that a different actor is playing someone as a baby, or that the actor is supposed to be appearing as a character in a flashback.

RuneEdge
August 2nd, 2013, 5:07 PM
Gonna bump this bad boy cuz I need some ideas.

I've been getting into some space exploration movies lately. I watched 2001: A Space Odyssey, 2010 (the sequel), Apollo 18, The Alien series, Pandorum. I've got Apollo 13 lined up next.
Anyone know of any other similar movies that are must see?

Cewsh
August 2nd, 2013, 5:14 PM
I really liked Solaris, though many didn't. But the new movie Gravity is going to be must see for you then. Here's the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4coTNta-YA

Chris
August 2nd, 2013, 5:23 PM
Gonna bump this bad boy cuz I need some ideas.

I've been getting into some space exploration movies lately. I watched 2001: A Space Odyssey, 2010 (the sequel), Apollo 18, The Alien series, Pandorum. I've got Apollo 13 lined up next.
Anyone know of any other similar movies that are must see?
You should check out Moon.

RuneEdge
August 2nd, 2013, 5:49 PM
Solaris seems to have been remade in '02, after the original from 1972. Which one were you thinking of, Cewsh?

Moon sounds good. I'll definately check that out, thanks. :yes:

Cewsh
August 2nd, 2013, 5:51 PM
I like both versions of Solaris. The first one is the better film, and the remake is more accessible, but they're both quality.

Atty
August 2nd, 2013, 6:06 PM
The remake is underrated. Moon is a good shout.

I absolutely ADORE Sunshine. Lovely film, though some get to caught up in the change it takes 3/4s in. I figure you lumped it with the Alien series, Rune, but Prometheus maybe? The Day the Earth Stood Still (the original), Forbidden Planet and Wall-E are all worth watches if you're on a SPPPPPAAAAAAAACCCCCEEEE kick.

Cewsh
August 2nd, 2013, 6:10 PM
Oh yeah, Wall-E is an absolutely must see. Hands down the finest animated film ever made in my book.

RuneEdge
August 2nd, 2013, 6:18 PM
Seen Prometheus, the remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still, and Wall-E. Wall-E was great. I thought Prometheus was decent but I'm intruiged with where the story with its sequel(s) is headed so I'll reserve judgement on it. As a stand alone film it left too many questions unanswered.

Havent seen Forbidden Planet but knowing it's a 1956 film is a little off putting, if Im being honest. I initially thought the same with 2001: A Space Odyssey but even that was only 1968, and visually it was great. Plus it was a Kubrick film.

Atty
August 2nd, 2013, 6:35 PM
Basically every space movie to come after Forbidden Planet stole from it liberally. Lucas practically lifted shit directly out of it in the OT.

Jimmy Zero
August 2nd, 2013, 7:20 PM
Turn out the lights and watch Event Horizon. It's not amazing, or anything, but it's a pretty good popcorn horror flick.

Tainted Eclipse
August 2nd, 2013, 8:30 PM
theres this movie called "adrift in tokyo" on netflix which is in a lot of ways overblown, not nearly as funny as it tries to be and pretty flawed in a lot of ways, but somehow i found it extremely entertaining, legitimately touching at times and a very very enjoyable watch. if you can deal with SUBTITLES (if you're not a big bitch) i'd heartily recommend anyone to give it a try.

virms
August 4th, 2013, 8:07 PM
Ok need a strong recommendation of a couple of movies to watch with my dad when I go up on vacation next week. He is mainly a based of a true story type guy but he will go nuts for something like Borat. Never seen my dad laugh so hard like he did when borat kept calling the guy a retard.

Obviously Zero Dark Thirty is numero uno on the list. I am thinking about sneaking Inglorious Basterds in there but figured might as well get a couple of recommendations before I head up.

Atty
August 4th, 2013, 8:36 PM
Inglorious Basterds is a true story.

virms
August 4th, 2013, 8:38 PM
I am gonna try to pass that off. He should be good until the theater bit.

Cewsh
August 5th, 2013, 1:18 AM
If he likes Zero Dark Thirty, try him on The Hurt Locker.

takerson
August 5th, 2013, 2:16 AM
Turn out the lights and watch Event Horizon. It's not amazing, or anything, but it's a pretty good popcorn horror flick.

You know what? Yeah. Watch this alone with the lights off and it will give you nightmares. Just an unsettling and off-putting atmosphere to it.

Myles
August 6th, 2013, 4:10 AM
:lol: this thread is wonderful.

I'm game for some recommendations, I'm into documentaries at the moment... preferably sports, but any good documentary will do.

Mik
August 6th, 2013, 7:12 AM
Moon was a very good about earlier on by the way.

Cewsh
August 6th, 2013, 9:25 AM

I'm game for some recommendations, I'm into documentaries at the moment... preferably sports, but any good documentary will do.

Have you seen ESPN's 30 series? They're all on Netflix and many of them are quite good.

Jimmy Zero
August 6th, 2013, 10:11 AM
Have you seen ESPN's 30 series? They're all on Netflix and many of them are quite good.

I second this.

The Bo Jackson one is great.

Cewsh
August 6th, 2013, 10:42 AM
The Miami Hurricanes one, the Ricky Williams one and the NFL Draft one are all great too, though that last one might just be because I'm a huge nerd for drafts.

Myles
August 6th, 2013, 10:27 PM
Yeah, I enjoyed them all... couple were kinda shit, the ice cube one, but most were awesome. I have seen most of the espn stuff as well as some HBO stuff like magic vs. bird.

Anything else that would be good? I recently watched riding giants which was a fun enough surfing documentary.

Jimmy Zero
August 6th, 2013, 10:31 PM
The Life and Times of Hank Greenberg is pretty excellent.

Cewsh
August 6th, 2013, 10:33 PM
Murderball is good, Dogtown and Z Boys is good, and here are a few others that come to mind:

Doin' It In The Park (Street Basketball)
Hoop Dreams (Basketball)
When We Were Kings (Boxing)

Myles
August 6th, 2013, 11:01 PM
Hoop Dreams is class. Dogtown is a fun one, but I actually preferred Peralta's Riding Giants which I watched the other night. I'm going to give the other ones a shot though, thanks bro. :yes:

Bill Casey
August 10th, 2013, 1:53 AM

The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters

Mills
August 10th, 2013, 1:58 AM
Watch Spiderman, the first one. Yeah, I know, watch it again

takerson
August 20th, 2013, 12:43 PM
Probably going to a movie tonight. Stuck between Elysium, 2 Guns, Red 2, We're The Millers, and Paranoia. Anybody seen any of them? Recommendations?

Cewsh
August 20th, 2013, 12:47 PM
Not Paranoia. Stay far, far away.

JP
August 20th, 2013, 12:49 PM
Elysium would be my choice.

takerson
August 20th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Not Paranoia. Stay far, far away.

Really? Harrison Ford & Gary Oldman in the same movie and it's not good?

takerson
August 20th, 2013, 12:54 PM
I've decided Millers & Red are wait-for-DVD-able. Cewsh said Paranoia sucks. So I'm stuck on Elysium & 2 Guns now... very tough choice. Very different movies.

Cewsh
August 20th, 2013, 12:57 PM
Really? Harrison Ford & Gary Oldman in the same movie and it's not good?

It is a dumpster fire.

Paranoia (2013)

TOMATOMETER - 4% Average Rating: 3.7/10 (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/paranoia_2013/#contentReviews)
Fresh: 2 | Rotten: 55
(http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/paranoia_2013/#contentReviews)
Clichéd and unoriginal, Paranoia is a middling techno-thriller with indifferent performances and a shortage of thrills.

AUDIENCE
41liked it
Average Rating: 2.9/5
User Ratings: 13,278
(http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/paranoia_2013/#audience_reviews)

MikeHunt
August 20th, 2013, 1:05 PM
2 guns looks bloody brilliant. Can't go wrong with marky mark and densel blowing shit up.