PDA

View Full Version : Introduction to the MMA Forum

Mik
November 2nd, 2012, 1:25 PM
So as you probably know, I'm your new mod in this forum, so thought I'd create a thread to introduce myself and also to try and get some feedback on the forum, how it works, how it can work better, how we can get more traffic and also introducing the forum and the way things are done to any new members.

In general, the MMA forum is a bit of an infant compared to the other forums, but in the two and a half years its been around, its been pretty popular. As we all know MMA is a huge growth sport with people within very similar demographics to WWE, and there are certainly areas of crossover within it. So there's no reason why this forum cannot more than hold its own.

I'd say that as long as I've been posting here we've got very enthusiastic, opinionated and well informed MMA posters, the behaviour in the whole is not a problem either and I think that we would be pretty welcome to any new contributors.

The question is more to do with how to attract new members to this forum. I have already talked in relation to the Entertainment forum about advertising this sub-forum within the other forums of this website as I'm sure that there are some people who would be interested in some of the wrestling forums who simply havent wandered into here yet.

Another idea would be starting a pretty well controlled Twitter page for the MMA community here. The UFC in particular is very Twitter friendly, so I'm certain that we might be able to get a decent rub from that if we push it hard enough.

I like that this forum moderates itself pretty well and is fairly good at creating threads for individual events and there arent as many catch-all mega-threads here as there are in some of the forums (although there are perhaps still to many). Perhaps if we use a Twitter account to post news we've found and link them to threads in here that might be an idea? Obviously thats not to say that I think that we can compete with any of the big MMA forums out there, but at least it might keep our community on here moving a bit more quickly.

How do you guys feel about this forum in general? From a purely administrative point of view I think that the sheer amount of sticky threads might be a little off-putting for someone coming in. What do you think? Maybe sticky the threads when the event is within a month or so?

Generally I think that any thread idea should certainly be encouraged. I think that we are all pretty good at not giving big spoilers away, but maybe we need to mark them more clearly. I'm sure we all know what we can do about not getting involved in petty squabbles and realising that a difference of opinion doesnt is good when it results in discussion (even if it doesnt come to an agreement) and bad when it results in name-calling or bitching.

In terms of what I'm here to do. If you need me, drop me a line, whether its to sticky a thread, create a poll, break up an argument...whatever it is just give me a shout.

I'm committed to the idea of making this forum a better, more fun and busier place with the best atmosphere we can create. I hope that you guys feel the same because I think that we've got a good community here with the makings of a great one and we are quite well positioned to grow.

Fanny Batter
November 2nd, 2012, 2:29 PM
In terms of layout, I would be in favour of un-sticking the events pages at this current time. If we had larger output I'd be all for it, but there's very few threads in the forum that aren't related to an event just gone or just around the corner, so I don't really see the need to sticky.

I think we'd be helped by a couple of us doing columns every now and then, maybe us regular posters (me, dubya, Mark, OD, yourself, One Ball and a couple of others) have designated roles for threads, be it an odds/betting/predicting thread, analysis of events, "hot" topics and so on. I feel there would be more structure to discussion if we spread everything out a bit, as things can get lost in miscellaneous threads that could provide quality debate.

In terms of developing interest outside of the small community we have now, I think that will only come with improvement in output. There's a billion sites on the internet that will beat us to the punch when it comes to up to date news, but I think we've got posters with enough intelligence in regards to creating good prose as well as knowledge of the sport to have really strong discussions. I think, like up north, we should be encouraged to maybe create more original threads rather than things going under the same umbrella, as "Junior dos Santos says he will knockout Allistair Overeem" will interest randomers more than the same story going in a thread titled "UFC 155: dos Santos vs. Velasquez 2". That's not to say the events pages are useless, but some stories should have their own threads.

I'd be happy to do a thread in the week prior to each event analyzing each fight with predictions and the sort, as well as creating new threads that may spark conversation. I don't even think we have a "why/how/when did you get into MMA thread!

Good luck in your role mate.

Cewsh
November 2nd, 2012, 2:35 PM
For awhile now I've sort of been vaguely interested in MMA, with Vice telling me about stuff here and there. But the whole thing has been kind of impenetrable to me, especially since most of the discussion in this forum is wayyyyyyyy past my level of understanding. If someone wanted to do a thread introducing some of the major players these days, and some tips and advice for watching this stuff that'd be invaluable to me personally. I don't know if anyone else is in that boat, but it'd up my presence in here immediately.

Fanny Batter
November 2nd, 2012, 2:41 PM
That's a good idea. How to watch, where to watch, what to look out for etc. in a few separate threads so it doesn't get too clustered would be a strong idea. A general "Upcoming MMA Events" thread too, with all the cards so people don't get lost with the overload that occurs every 3 months or so.

Torn
November 2nd, 2012, 3:18 PM
I don't think the show threads all really need stickying, as nearer the event the discussion in each thread will naturally bring them to them.

I agree with Batter on a lot of what he is saying, there isn't much structure in terms of where to discuss things outside the show threads and a lot of this can end up being split across multiple threads. If people are encouraged to make threads to discuss news stories while giving their opinion at the same time instead of dumping it in a catch all thread it should make it easier for anyone to jump into a specific discussion without getting stuck reading a seperate debate that has sprung out of another

On Cewsh's point, I think we're all happy to help newcomers to MMA with anything so that's a good start. A basic questions thread where anyone new can ask whatever helps them would be an easy start, but I think getting into MMA is an event by event process. You'll gradually get know who everyone is through that, so expanding on Batter's idea we can all give more helpful breakdowns of cards and the history of the fighters on them. But we do need people to ask for this stuff or (speaking for myself here mind) feel we'll be typing it for no reason.

Appreciate the effort you are putting in here Mik.

MikeHunt
November 2nd, 2012, 3:24 PM
Cewsh's idea is bloody good. I really enjoy mma and have watched for a few years but still need a lot of the ground game explained. The Gracie breakdown vids are great so maybe some kind of breakdown/analysis in a thread could be pretty different.

Cewsh
November 2nd, 2012, 3:33 PM
Maybe someone (or a group of people) could break down shows after they happen in the thread? Then we could watch it and see it through the eyes of the people who know what they're talking about. It'd be good to spark discussion too, because mostly what I see is people arguing about whether or not _____ fighter sucks.

Though, in fairness, that was mostly Iowan and Mark.

MikeHunt
November 2nd, 2012, 3:41 PM
Yup if some more knowledgeable people could commit to that it has massive potential for something unique and special to this forum.

Cewsh
November 2nd, 2012, 3:46 PM
Mike and I agree on this, so it's pretty clearly a winning idea.

MikeHunt
November 2nd, 2012, 3:49 PM
Haha! Must be fucking money! Get on it mik.

hithit
November 2nd, 2012, 4:24 PM
i second cewsh's idea. i love watching mma, but really don't wanna get into a discussion about it because my knowledge on it is really pretty lacking.

Matthew
November 2nd, 2012, 5:15 PM
maybe have an 8 man tourney to decide the rajah mma champion

Cewsh
November 2nd, 2012, 5:16 PM
I want to go for MMA tag champs.

OD50
November 2nd, 2012, 5:20 PM
Go join ZST.

Cewsh
November 2nd, 2012, 5:22 PM
Sounds cultish.

OD50
November 2nd, 2012, 5:27 PM
Sort of.

Dubya
November 2nd, 2012, 5:59 PM
For awhile now I've sort of been vaguely interested in MMA, with Vice telling me about stuff here and there. But the whole thing has been kind of impenetrable to me, especially since most of the discussion in this forum is wayyyyyyyy past my level of understanding. If someone wanted to do a thread introducing some of the major players these days, and some tips and advice for watching this stuff that'd be invaluable to me personally. I don't know if anyone else is in that boat, but it'd up my presence in here immediately.

If you dig through the pages, there's actually an MMA Spotlight thread where I used to spotlight fighters .. that might help. I could re-launch it too I suppose.

Also, I've been posting MMA news on Twitter from the Rajah twitter handle with a link to the forum for the better part of the last month ..

Oh and I'd actually love to do an MMA column, reviewing & previewing upcoming fights and rising stars.

On the sticky thread issue .. we actually asked to have the threads be stickied because even though there aren't a ton of threads, you'd be surprised how easily they can slip to the bottom of the page in a busy week. However, I don't see the need to have SO MANY stickied. The events of that month is all thats necessary really.

Torn
November 2nd, 2012, 6:17 PM
If you dig through the pages, there's actually an MMA Spotlight thread where I used to spotlight fighters .. that might help.

Also, I've been posting MMA news on Twitter from the Rajah twitter handle with a link to the forum for the better part of the last month ..

Oh and I'd actually love to do an MMA column, reviewing & previewing upcoming fights and rising stars.

Yeah I'd think that'd be enjoyable.

Maybe we can bring back the spotlight in a different form, say each of us picks a up and coming or not as well known fighter on a card that's coming up and talk about why why enjoy that person, their accomplishments to date etc.

Mark Hammer
November 2nd, 2012, 6:19 PM
This thread is proof that more people read this forum than post in it. I really wish we could do something about that, this forum and it's regulars have a lot to contribute but activity is way too slow in here. I actually get somewhat excited when a new name pops up (sad I know) but as much as I love the other dudes it's just like five or six of us and new blood is more than welcome.

Cewsh and hithit, don't be worried about not being as knowledgeable of the sport as others. It definitely shouldn't keep you from posting, we're all grown and I promise nobody is going to think less of you for speaking your MMA opinions. Getting involved in discussions is the best way to learn and get a deeper understanding of the topic, I speak from experience because I was the most casual of casuals probably 3 or 4 years ago. I loved Rampage and Brock, knew who GSP, Anderson Silva, and BJ Penn were but that was about it. I started posting regularly in here (despite probably being wrong more often than not) which sparked my interest a bit so I watched all the post-Zuffa UFC's (thanks to a link and suggestion from Dubya) and some old Pride's. Now look at me, I know everything and I'm right 100% of the time. :cool:

Seriously though, don't hesitate to post in here, and that goes for everyone. I am familiar with most of you through reading the wrestling forums, I'd love it if you guys posted in here too.

On the Twitter idea, I'm on board. Didn't UFC MIDDLEWEIGHT SUPERSTAR Tim Boats recently shout at or add Matthew flo? Like Mik said those guys seem to be incredibly Twitter-happy, many of them are pro wrestling fans as well. I'd love it if Rajah got it's name out and we started seeing the odd fighter chime in and bounce out. Plenty of fighters post/have posted on Sherdog but that place is a disrespectful cesspool full of angry teenagers and it's no wonder that so many pro fighters are ex-posters and have nothing good to say about it. The Rajah community as a whole is MUCH less abrasive and far more welcoming.

Maybe someone (or a group of people) could break down shows after they happen in the thread? Then we could watch it and see it through the eyes of the people who know what they're talking about. It'd be good to spark discussion too, because mostly what I see is people arguing about whether or not _____ fighter sucks.

Though, in fairness, that was mostly Iowan and Mark.

Actually it was One Ball, and I'm pretty certain it was always him talking shit about a fighter and me defending them. Admittedly a little overly passionate from time to time.

Mik
November 2nd, 2012, 6:56 PM
Well lets not start to get into that again.

Cool little infographic to bring for some of the new guys, think you'll need to click to enlarge it:

http://www.havocstore.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/UFC-Facts-Infographic.jpg

Cewsh
November 2nd, 2012, 6:57 PM
It says I don't have access to view it.

Mik
November 2nd, 2012, 7:01 PM
If I link it instead?

Dubya
November 2nd, 2012, 7:17 PM
That's pretty cool .. the shortest fight isn't Alexander/Irvin anymore though.

Mark Hammer
November 2nd, 2012, 7:43 PM
That's pretty cool even though I'm pretty sure Ludwig vs Goulet (sp) was ruled the shortest UFC fight.

OD50
November 3rd, 2012, 5:44 AM
By the UFC, not by the athletic commissions.

What is the offical shortest fight? Hague/Duffee?

Torn
November 3rd, 2012, 9:03 AM
Yeah, tied with Zombie/Hominick I believe.

Cewsh
November 3rd, 2012, 12:13 PM
I love that graphic. I didn't know any of that stuff.

Mark Hammer
November 4th, 2012, 2:04 AM
UFC 100 is a great place to start for anybody looking to get more into UFC/MMA. Two title fights featuring Brock and GSP, the most fantastic knockout of all time in Hendo vs Bisping, and a barnburner of a fight in Belcher vs Akiyama (although I still disagree with the decision). Just an amazing fight card from top to bottom and loaded with star power.

MikeHunt
November 4th, 2012, 2:42 AM
Belcher superman punch attempts make me excited just thinking about them.

The UFC product has became a bit over exposed at the mid point of this year. But with a slightly larger gaps between events towards the tail end of the year is making me excited for the next few numbered shows at least. Let alone the next fox card! Pure sex!

Fro
November 13th, 2016, 9:50 PM
perhaps this should be unstickied since the MMA forum hasn't existed for a while