PDA

View Full Version : HOT TOPIC: Do you think Wayne Rooney will score 50 (or more) goals for England?

turdpower
October 18th, 2012, 3:12 AM
All signs probably point to yes. But I think everyone thought Owen would do it at some point and (although before my time) I think Linekar looked a likely bet?

If you don't think he will, why?

GO.

Gary J
October 18th, 2012, 3:47 AM
I think he needs another 18 now and he's probably got about 40 games to get them (assuming he stays free of injury/suspension/doesn't retire to prolong his club career) which is pretty do-able but you can't have complete confidence in him being available for the 40 games. He should do it but i can see him just missing out on it.

Torn
October 18th, 2012, 4:15 AM
Easily. Mainly because he's by far and away England's best attacking player and will play every game when available so the opportunity is there.

MMH
October 18th, 2012, 4:30 AM
Easily. Mainly because he's by far and away England's best attacking player and will play every game when available so the opportunity is there.

I think its more than even best attacking player. He is the only one. I cant see that changing for a while.

Beefy
October 18th, 2012, 4:37 AM
But that has been the case for a long time and he's not scored at a rate which really suggests that he'll get another 20 goals. I think he'll end up on around 45. He should beat Shilton's record for caps though.

Simon
October 18th, 2012, 5:08 AM
I would have thought he would beat it reasonably comfortably. He's just turning 27 this month and is a different player to Owen, one who wouldn't be killed by a loss of pace. He's unlikely to be displaced any time soon (although having said there are occasional whispers about him being dropped at United to make a point about his fitness and form) so you'd say he would have a minimum of 5 years in which to get 19 goals, it's not a huge ask.

Rip
October 18th, 2012, 5:31 AM
He'll end up 3 or 4 short, he's running out of games and he's starting to play deeper.

Beefy
October 18th, 2012, 6:46 AM
I would have thought he would beat it reasonably comfortably. He's just turning 27 this month and is a different player to Owen, one who wouldn't be killed by a loss of pace. He's unlikely to be displaced any time soon (although having said there are occasional whispers about him being dropped at United to make a point about his fitness and form) so you'd say he would have a minimum of 5 years in which to get 19 goals, it's not a huge ask.

At his current scoring rate he'll need another 45 caps before he gets to 50 goals. As Rip said he's started playing deeper and I have my doubts about whether he'll get 45 more games up front for England.

Fanny Batter
October 18th, 2012, 7:01 AM
I think he will, providing he doesn't miss a large chunk of time with injuries. There's a lot of dross at international level where he can fill his boots. He's got another 6 years left so easily achievable.

MMH
October 18th, 2012, 7:40 AM
But that has been the case for a long time and he's not scored at a rate which really suggests that he'll get another 20 goals. I think he'll end up on around 45. He should beat Shilton's record for caps though.

Well they still have to play San Marino again so he could feasibly notch a couple there, there is always a whipping boy to prey on in qualifying groups.

Beefy
October 18th, 2012, 8:02 AM
As there have been in the previous five qualifying groups that's he's played in.

MMH
October 18th, 2012, 8:28 AM
As there have been in the previous five qualifying groups that's he's played in.

Indeed. Thats not to say he cant go goal crazy on one or two of them.

Beefy
October 18th, 2012, 8:43 AM
He can do but his record up until now suggests that he won't.

The Rosk
October 18th, 2012, 8:46 AM
He'll get a horrible injury soon. No.

El Capitano Gatisto
October 18th, 2012, 8:56 AM
Seems unlikely. He's not a reliable enough finisher and he's likely to play in less friendlies now rather than more. As others have said, he'd need to have a 1 in 2 record effectively for about the next 4-5 years at least.

Torn
November 19th, 2014, 6:16 AM
2 years later and he's already up to 46. Should easily make it to 50+

Simon
November 19th, 2014, 6:23 AM
Can't see it myself.

He really shoved it up a lot of arses here, according to Gary J (above) he needed 18 goals a little over two years ago, scoring 14 in the meantime. I didn't expect him to do it that quickly but you'd assume he'll have it sorted by this time next year at the latest.

Ringo
November 19th, 2014, 6:26 AM
Good thing I voted yes on this thing two years ago. :shifty:

Bad Collin
November 19th, 2014, 6:36 AM
Let's guess when:

England v Lithuania Fri 27 Mar 19:45
Italy v England Tue 31 Mar 19:45
R. of Ireland v England Sun 7 Jun 20:00
Slovenia v England Sun 14 Jun 17:00
San Marino v England Sat 5 Sep 17:00
England v Switzerland Tue 8 Sep 19:45
England v Estonia Fri 9 Oct 19:45

1 against Lithuania and Slovenia then breaks the record in San Marino I reckon.

Beefy
November 19th, 2014, 6:38 AM
I always believed :cool:

Hopefully he gets these four goals in his next two or three games. Really don't want this to be overshadowing England's next 18 months. It was a long time ago but I seem to recall it being a big deal over Lineker's last six months for England and that was before internet forums and 24 hour news channels.

EDIT - looking at that list I reckon he'll tie with Charlton at the Aviva in June and set the record the next week.

Simon
November 19th, 2014, 6:38 AM
Yeah, San Marino seems the likeliest. Certainly by the end of qualification anyway.

Simon
November 19th, 2014, 6:39 AM
I always believed :cool:

Hopefully he gets these four goals in his next two or three games. Really don't want this to be overshadowing England's next 18 months. It was a long time ago but I seem to recall it being a big deal over Lineker's last six months for England and that was before internet forums and 24 hour news channels.

I'm a bit too young to remember, why did Lineker not end up making it to 50? He was only 32 when he played his last game for England, I know he fucked off to Japan around then but you'd have thought they would have let him string it out to reach the milestone.

Beefy
November 19th, 2014, 6:44 AM
It was his decision. Shearer was just on the scene (and was about to get badly injured) but Beardsley had gone and the likes of Fowler, Wright, Sheringham etc weren't on the scene yet. Our strikers in Euro 92 were Lineker, Shearer, Alan Smith and Nigel Clough FFS.

I seem to recall that there were suggestions that Lineker could come out of retirement when Shearer got injured but he brushed off the suggestion.

It does seem a bit crazy looking back.

Ringo
November 19th, 2014, 6:45 AM
This doesn't really answer your question but they were talking about it on one of the podcasts recently:

"He retired from international football with 80 caps and 48 goals, one fewer goal than Bobby Charlton's England record (although Charlton took 26 more caps to score his one extra goal). In what proved to be his last England match, against Sweden at Euro 1992, he was substituted by England coach Graham Taylor, in favour of Arsenal striker Alan Smith, ultimately denying Lineker the chance to equal—or even better—Charlton's record of 49 goals. He had earlier missed a penalty that would have brought him level, in a pre-tournament friendly against Brazil. He was visibly upset at the decision, not looking at Taylor as he took the bench."

Beefy
November 19th, 2014, 6:46 AM
Plus Lineker had a World Cup golden boot and had dragged a mediocre team to the semi finals four years later. He didn't 'need' the record to cement a legacy like Rooney arguably does.

Simon
November 19th, 2014, 6:47 AM
Ah right, fair enough I guess if it was his choice...weird that he would have the hump about being denied the opportunity, then retire before he could finish the job.

I quite like that Rooney has openly said he will never retire from England duty and that his family would never forgive him if he did.

Beefy
November 19th, 2014, 6:49 AM
This doesn't really answer your question but they were talking about it on one of the podcasts recently:

"He retired from international football with 80 caps and 48 goals, one fewer goal than Bobby Charlton's England record (although Charlton took 26 more caps to score his one extra goal). In what proved to be his last England match, against Sweden at Euro 1992, he was substituted by England coach Graham Taylor, in favour of Arsenal striker Alan Smith, ultimately denying Lineker the chance to equal—or even better—Charlton's record of 49 goals. He had earlier missed a penalty that would have brought him level, in a pre-tournament friendly against Brazil. He was visibly upset at the decision, not looking at Taylor as he took the bench."

The missed penalty was shrugged off at the time because it was so bad and because it was just assumed that he'd get the record in Sweden at Euro 92. We were one of the favourites going into that tournament on the back of the World Cup and had a fairly straight-forward looking group. It was so sad to see Lineker get hauled off vs Sweden but even then I think a lot of people assumed that we'd get the goal to get through that game and that Lineker would then get his goal in the semi final a few days later.

EDIT - Simon, I don't think Lineker was upset with Taylor because of the record. England were losing and about to go out and as the captain and main goalscorer he thought he should have been still on the pitch.

Simon
November 19th, 2014, 6:51 AM
Plus Lineker had a World Cup golden boot and had dragged a mediocre team to the semi finals four years later. He didn't 'need' the record to cement a legacy like Rooney arguably does.

Rooney needs the record to overshadow the fact that (alongside Gerrard and maybe Lampard?) he will otherwise be remembered as a totem for a failed generation, a talented player who - at international level - achieved nothing.

Romford Pele
November 19th, 2014, 9:46 AM
Rooney will never be as revered as Lineker unless he wins something with England.

turdpower
November 19th, 2014, 3:49 PM
I've also thought 49 was a fairly crap record without checking.

Germany - Miroslav Klose 71
Spain - David Villa 59
Portugal - Cristiano Ronaldo 52
France - Thierry Henry 51
Netherlands - Robin Van Persie 49
Italy - Luigi Riva 35

What on earth have Italy been playing at?

Alex
November 19th, 2014, 3:59 PM
Massive middle finger to Robbie Keane there turd.

turdpower
November 19th, 2014, 4:07 PM
Nar, I just decided to do the top European Teams, I can do them all if you want :happysad:

Alex
November 19th, 2014, 4:11 PM
Players who've scored over 50 in the modern era. I think Keane edges in.

turdpower
November 19th, 2014, 4:13 PM
I'LL DO THEM ALL.

BRB

Ringo
November 19th, 2014, 4:18 PM
Drogba.

Alex
November 19th, 2014, 4:24 PM
Just edit Robbie Keane - 65 into the first post and spend your time working on the Christmas viewing schedule.

turdpower
November 19th, 2014, 4:37 PM
Hungary - Ferenc Puskas 84
Germany - Miroslav Klose 71
Ireland - Robbie Keane 65
Spain - David Villa 59
Czech - Jan Koller 55
Denmark - Poul Nielsen and Jon Dahl Tomasson 52
Portugal - Cristiano Ronaldo 52
France - Thierry Henry 51
Sweden - Zlatan Ibrahimovic 51
Turkey - Hakan Suker 51
England - Bobby Charlton 49
Netherlands - Robin Van Persie 49
Bulgaria - Dimitar Berbatov and Hristo Bonev 48
Poland - Wlodzimierz Lubaski 48
Ukraine - Andriy Shevchenko 48
Croatia - Davor Suker 45
Austria - Toni Polster 44
Switzerland - Alexander Frei 42
Malta - Michael Mifsud 39
Bosnia - Edin Dzeko 38
Estonia - Andres Oper 38
Serbia - Stjepan Bobek 38
Northern Ireland - David Healy 36
Italy - Luigi Riva 35
Romania - Gheorghe Hagi 35
Solvenia - Zlatko Zahovic 35
Israel - Mordechai Spiegler 33
Norway - Jorgen Juve 33
Cyprus - Michalis Konstantinou 32
Finland - Jari Litmanen 32
Belgium - Bernard Voorhoof and Paul Van Himst 30
Scotland - Kenny Dalglish and Denis Law 30
Greece - Nikos Anastopoulos 29
Latvia - Maris Verpakovskis 29
Russia - Aleksandr Kerzhakov 29
Wales - Ian Rush 28
Georgia - Shota Arveladze 26
Macedonia - Goran Pandev 26
Iceland - Eidur Gudjohnsen 24
Slovakia - Robert Vittek 23
Belarus - Maksim Romaschenko 20
Lithuania - Tomas Danilevicius 19
Albania - Erjon Bogdani 18
Armenia - Henrikh Mkhitaryan 16
Liechtenstein - Mario Frick 16
Luxembourg - Leon Mart 16
Montenegro - Mirko Vucinic 15
Azerbaijan - Gurban Gurbanov 14
Kazakhstan - Ruslan Baltiev 13
Moldova - Serghei Clescenco 11
Faroe Islands - Rogvi Jacobsen 10
Andorra - Ildefons Lima 9
San Marino - Andy Selva 8

Mik
November 19th, 2014, 5:14 PM
Argentina?

The Rosk
November 19th, 2014, 6:19 PM
That's not in Europe you bloody twonk!!!

Simon
November 19th, 2014, 7:14 PM
Rooney could realistically end up near the top of that list. Certainly has long enough left to potentially top 60.

Simon
November 19th, 2014, 7:15 PM
Incidentally Neymar has 42 already. He's 22. Genuinely no reason he couldn't hit 100.

The Rosk
November 19th, 2014, 7:17 PM
Well, there are several. He could die.

Simon
November 19th, 2014, 7:20 PM
Good point well made.

McBain
November 20th, 2014, 3:12 AM
Rooney will never be as revered as Lineker unless he wins something with England.

What did Linekar win?

McBain
November 20th, 2014, 3:15 AM
Top scorer aside.

The Rosk
November 20th, 2014, 4:55 AM
What did Linekar win?

That's not his point.

McBain
November 20th, 2014, 4:58 AM
:D

Mik
November 20th, 2014, 7:45 AM
That's not in Europe you bloody twonk!!!

I'm interested though.

Simon
November 20th, 2014, 7:49 AM
Batistuta had 56 in 78, Messi is on 45 at the moment so will presumably top him soon. For Brazil, Pele got 77...Neymar will almost certainly beat that assuming he doesn't have his career ruined by injury (or death).

Even Neymar will have some way to go to beat the world record - Ali Daei got 109 for Iran.

Mik
November 20th, 2014, 10:51 AM
Who were Iran scoring mega-goals past?

Romford Pele
November 20th, 2014, 10:59 AM
How many did Romario get for Brazi? Must have been a fair number...

turdpower
November 20th, 2014, 4:41 PM
If only there was a way to find out.

The Rosk
November 20th, 2014, 5:37 PM
Ahahahahahahhahahaha

The Rosk
November 20th, 2014, 5:44 PM
Who were Iran scoring mega-goals past?

Ah cunts like Laos and all the shit Stans and that. I loved Ali Daei on Pro though.