PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Dogs

Funboy
September 20th, 2012, 3:03 PM
This game is brilliant, and yet no thread?

It's a brilliant hybrid - got the sandbox of GTA, with the free running of Assassins Creed, and combat of Batman - Arkham Asylum.

It's set in Hong Kong, and you are an undercover cop who gets deeper and deeper in with the mob.
They suspect a rat, so you've to prove yourself and do some bad stuff. At the same time, you can do surveillance for the cops.
I'm not sure what element of choice/chance there is yet (only been playing for an evening) but already I think I was hasty in setting up a drugs bust before I had gotten in with the mob further; as I was accused of being a rat, and it got pretty tense.

There seems to be loads to do - randomers asking for help (sometimes being a set-up), drag racing (cars and bikes), karaoke with friends (again, not sure if they'll be as annoying as they were in GTA IV) and I stumbled on a fight club.

It's a great looking game, with smooth controls and a very intriguing story (akin to Infernal Affairs or The Departed)

Definite recommended purchase - could be a sleeper hit of the year!

Also I want people to talk to about it, so get playing!!

Guy
September 20th, 2012, 3:21 PM
Played it, beat it, sold it.

It was a good week.

The Rogerer
September 20th, 2012, 6:37 PM
I'd like to recommend it as well, although I'm only about an hour in so far.

Dubya
September 20th, 2012, 7:48 PM
Played it all the way through .. honestly, not that impressed. It was fun, but I probably wouldn't play it again or anything. I'd probably say .. 7.5/10 .. maybe an 8.

Hlebsfall
September 21st, 2012, 3:48 AM
I've been playing through, for a sandbox game it's pretty decent. Though once I've finished it, I can't see myself ever playing it again.

I was quite enjoying the focus on fistfighting in the early missions. Though now I've gone a bit deeper into the game, it's descended into GTA territory. 'Drive to warehouse X and take cover behind these conveniently placed waist high boxes, then pop up every now and then to shoot someone in the face.'

Some of the stuff seems rather underdeverloped as well. Early on you meet up with about 3 different women, who you can then optionally take out on the date. You do that once, then never hear from them again.

If anyone in the UK wants to buy this off me for a score, let me know, I should have this clocked off by Sunday.

Fanny
September 23rd, 2012, 6:21 AM
bought this for the missus yesterday, she's absolutely loving it and it's pretty good fun to watch as well, seems to be loads of stuff to do, and Hong Kong looks fantastic in the game, really cool.

vic vega
September 23rd, 2012, 11:36 AM
was a big fan of true crime streets of la( not so much the sequel, although i loved planting drugs on people ) but ill enjoy this when i get around to it

The Rogerer
September 24th, 2012, 7:24 PM
They've borrowed a bit from the Batman fighting system, which is good, but it feels like there's a lot of fighting and it isn't that complex. It also took me a couple of hours to realise that it was Nolan North, but when he first chats up a woman his normal voice comes through.

son_of_foley
January 4th, 2013, 7:59 AM
This is very much fun

Bad Collin
January 4th, 2013, 8:02 AM
I'm loving this game too. It is just so cool.

The fighting is brilliant.

Jay
January 4th, 2013, 8:58 AM
I haven't started this yet. I bought it off the PS Store just before Christmas for about £14, which included all of the DLC. I got Far Cry 3 for Christmas though, so that's been receiving almost all of my attention. Time to give Sleeping Dogs a whirl I reckon after reading this thread.

The Rogerer
January 4th, 2013, 12:46 PM
I got it wrong, it wasn't Nolan North. It's not a bad game at all, but it's appropriate that it dropped in price so quickly. It feels a bit lightweight, despite it having some really good aspects, and overcoming the trouble it went through in development. It's left me wanting to go for another round of Saints Row the Third rather than play it.

Beefy
February 12th, 2013, 12:46 PM
I'm surprised at some of the modest comments in this thread. I'm loving this game. I'm about 60% or so in, I'd say, and I'm completely into the story and I just love the look and feel of Hong Kong. The driving is a bit shit and there are some under-developed strands such as the dating thing that Hlebs mentioned, but overall I'm really impressed. I was thinking it was the best Sandbox game this generation, then I remembered Red Dead Redemption. It's definitely in the top two that I've played this gen.

turdpower
February 12th, 2013, 1:11 PM
Early on you meet up with about 3 different women, who you can then optionally take out on the date. You do that once, then never hear from them again.

Sounds realistic :happysad:

Hlebsfall
February 12th, 2013, 1:54 PM
My thoughts on the game haven't changed. I completed it, haven't touched it since. It's a perfectly fine game, just instantly forgettable.

William
February 13th, 2013, 2:55 AM
I'm surprised at some of the modest comments in this thread. I'm loving this game. I'm about 60% or so in, I'd say, and I'm completely into the story and I just love the look and feel of Hong Kong. The driving is a bit shit and there are some under-developed strands such as the dating thing that Hlebs mentioned, but overall I'm really impressed. I was thinking it was the best Sandbox game this generation, then I remembered Red Dead Redemption. It's definitely in the top two that I've played this gen.

I thought it was amazing myself. I usually don't get into games like that. Could never really finish a GTA, etc. While I was playing, I ended up 100%-ing the game because it was just that enjoyable to me. In fact, after I had finished it... it actually renewed my interest in such games so I've been going back and playing through a lot of them. (Unfortunately, RDR will be one I can't play for a while). But so far, it's my favorite of those types of games. I think Saints Row 3 would be my second favorite so far.

son_of_foley
February 13th, 2013, 3:45 AM
I dont game much so still going strong on this game currently. Find myself dicking about taking cars and just kungfu-ing the bollocks out of people rather than furthering the story much.

Recommend this highly

GeezaTap
February 13th, 2013, 5:00 AM
No-one's mentioned it, but it's on PS+ just now if you wanna dip your toe in. Not had much chance to play due to Asura's Wrath but the combat is pretty nifty. Shutter attack!

Beefy
February 13th, 2013, 5:15 AM
While I was playing, I ended up 100%-ing the game because it was just that enjoyable to me.

I can see this being the first game that I even attempt at getting a Platinum trophy on. All of the trophies look fairly achievable in the one play-through.

GeezaTap
February 13th, 2013, 6:41 AM
I can see this being the first game that I even attempt at getting a Platinum trophy on. All of the trophies look fairly achievable in the one play-through.

A Platinum? You just can't let sleeping dogs lie can you? :shifty:

son_of_foley
February 13th, 2013, 6:46 AM
NICE

Gary J
February 13th, 2013, 9:51 AM
Yeah i downloaded this from PS+ last week been enjoying it a lot.

Dreyski
February 17th, 2013, 5:26 PM
Same here, got to get used to driving on the left after too much GTA...

Bad Collin
March 3rd, 2013, 6:42 PM
Finally got round to finishing this. I liked the ending, big lead in to a sequel I thought.

Dreyski
March 8th, 2013, 9:16 AM
Finally got round to finishing this. I liked the ending, big lead in to a sequel I thought.

Finished last night. Not sure how a sequel would work given that
the Sun On Yee are crippled, and everyone knows that Wei is a cop.

Anyone else having problems getting Triad level 10?

Beefy
March 8th, 2013, 9:25 AM
Yeah I'm having major issues doing it. I'm going back and replaying missions where I've got a poor Triad rating but even with the clothes that give you a 15% bonus it's tricky in missions without lots of fighting.

Bad Collin
March 8th, 2013, 9:44 AM
Finished last night. Not sure how a sequel would work given that
the Sun On Yee are crippled, and everyone knows that Wei is a cop.

Anyone else having problems getting Triad level 10?

I think a sequel would work.

Despite being a cop Wei showed a lot of loyalty to that old lady. I'd like to play a sequel where Wei is made to work for the SOY but we get to decide whether he goes down the triad or Police route. Wei could build up his area of he triad and have turf wars with the 18k etc.

Wei is a really good character, they could even send him abroad

Also, this happened: http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/article/1107172/11-suspected-sun-yee-triad-leaders-arrested

Newf
March 8th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Yeah I'm having major issues doing it. I'm going back and replaying missions where I've got a poor Triad rating but even with the clothes that give you a 15% bonus it's tricky in missions without lots of fighting.

Yup, that's the only thing you really can do. I just kept plugging away at it with incremental improvements and eventually got it. Gun fight missions where you go for headshots is good. Driving/chase ones where you shoot-up vehicles and THEN take out the tires can net a lot of points too.

Beefy
March 8th, 2013, 11:57 AM
Driving/chase ones where you shoot-up vehicles and THEN take out the tires can net a lot of points too.

Ahhhhh that makes sense. I did a mission like that last night and was shooting out the tyres quickly and then wondering why I wasn't getting much of a Triad score.

mr sabu
December 30th, 2013, 9:43 PM
whats everyones opinion on this

games for gold is having it for free from jan 1st til the 15th

im tempted to pick it up

Grimario
December 30th, 2013, 9:49 PM
It's free. Why wouldn't you?

Newf
January 1st, 2014, 12:11 AM
Really fun game, worth paying for but yeah... if it's free then why wouldn't you?

mr sabu
January 1st, 2014, 4:44 AM
my ever growing games i do not play is starting to pile up

Grimario
January 1st, 2014, 5:46 PM
my ever growing games i do not play is starting to pile up

Paging Bert. Bert to this thread.

Please talk to this guy about piles of games you've never played...

mr sabu
January 1st, 2014, 7:21 PM
ive seen berts list, he posted it before

i don't wanna be a type of person like that ( no offence bert ) have a pile of games ill never play

Grimario
January 1st, 2014, 7:56 PM
ive seen berts list, he posted it before

i don't wanna be a type of person like that ( no offence bert ) have a pile of games ill never play

But you are that type of person, sort of. You are the type of person that has a bunch of keys on the keyboard that you never use. Like Shift and Caps Lock.

Jez
January 2nd, 2014, 6:23 AM
But...but... if it's free surely you can still download it and just choose not to play it or consider it part of a backlog? It's not like having a non played game in your library in and of itself is a bad thing? At least that way you'd have the option to play it if you ever feel like it?

Simon
January 2nd, 2014, 6:45 AM
This game is going for £6 pre-owned at Game at the moment, is it just shite or what? Swear it's only been out a year.

Bad Collin
January 2nd, 2014, 6:49 AM
It's a fantastic game. Most non triple A titles are practically free a year on. Also it has been out for a year and a half and there are new consoles out. Get it and kick some people in the head.

son_of_foley
January 2nd, 2014, 6:56 AM
Its fucking awesome fun

Pete Cash
January 2nd, 2014, 7:52 AM
It is actually a fantastic game. Best combat in a sandbox game ever.

1_Pablo_Angel
January 2nd, 2014, 9:56 AM
It's class. I got about halfway through then had to format my PC which was annoying.

Matthew
January 2nd, 2014, 11:03 AM
But...but... if it's free surely you can still download it and just choose not to play it or consider it part of a backlog? It's not like having a non played game in your library in and of itself is a bad thing? At least that way you'd have the option to play it if you ever feel like it?yea it's a retarded question. i agree