http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=OqqnsOzAW5k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=WgytITmIK0k

Very Nolan-influenced, I like where it's going. That score... :heart:

G-Fresh
July 14th, 2012, 9:47 PM
Superman is gay.

Derek
July 15th, 2012, 5:45 AM
All the videos have been removed by the user.

The Rogerer
July 15th, 2012, 7:00 AM
Stalin

lotjx
July 15th, 2012, 8:58 AM
Confirmed no John Williams theme and we are doing the origin again.

Jimmy Zero
July 15th, 2012, 9:45 AM
Are you serious?

Scratch this shit off my list. Pretty much the last thing I want to see in another Superman movie is his fucking origin.

virms
July 15th, 2012, 9:57 AM
Confirmed no John Williams theme and we are doing the origin again.

We have pretty much known it was going to be a reboot and a origin story since the beginning. Not sure why they needed confirmed.

The trailer I saw was shot from a distance so it was hard to tell what anything was. I did see Superman with a beard though. :yes:

PurePlayer
July 15th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Superman Returns was really one of the worst comic book movies I have ever seen outside of Catwoman. I actually prefer the dreaded Fantastic Four movies over this.

Thinking back, I don't even remember much of Returns. I saw it one time in the theaters and didn't look back. I would imagine this is going to be much better though similar to how Batman Begins and Amazing Spiderman surpassed their originals.

Mik
July 15th, 2012, 11:26 AM
The story of how Hans Zimmer got the score gig is pretty cool though.

Delta Devil
July 15th, 2012, 12:43 PM
I actually prefer the dreaded Fantastic Four movies over this.

I'm sorry, have you seen the movie already?

I have faith in Snyder (especially with Nolan peering over his shoulder), Cavill... and Shannon! Nothing we've seen leads me to believe this won't be good.

Bunch of slack jawed faggots around here. How bout we judge it before we see it, yeah?

Thinking back, I don't even remember much of Returns. I saw it one time in the theaters and didn't look back. I would imagine this is going to be much better though similar to how Batman Begins and Amazing Spiderman surpassed their originals.

What relevancy does Returns have to Man Of Steel?

PurePlayer
July 15th, 2012, 12:47 PM
I am just talking in general about the previous Superman reboot and how I am not much of a fan of his character or origins. I did not at one point say I would prefer the Fantastic 4 over Man of Steel. I was talking about Returns the whole time. Don't try and put words in my mouth.

Delta Devil
July 15th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Ok, just sounded like you were already putting FF of Steel with how you worded it. Apologies.

Chris
July 15th, 2012, 2:00 PM
I really liked Returns, personally. I thought the weight of Superman's responsibilities and his subsequent loneliness were interesting avenues to explore, especially when an invulnerable alien doesn't really have the same character scope as, say, Bruce Wayne or Tony Stark. It sounds like Man of Steel may go down a similar route. The score was fantastic, the set-pieces were great, Routh was brilliant as both an homage to Christopher Reeve and in bringing his own touch to the character and Spacey was a refreshing take on Luthor. It's a shame that Singer stuck so rigidly to Superman II's story, as things got quite muddled with the boy being introduced.

The Comic-Con footage sounds promising. But as with Amazing Spiderman, I have little interest in seeing the origin story again and I don't want it to be a dark and gritty Superman with most of the action depicted in Snyder's trademark slo-mo. With Nolan involved, I'm hopeful that it'll turn out ok.

RuneEdge
July 15th, 2012, 2:04 PM
The trailer didnt have any of Snyder's slo mo effects. If anything, the trailer seemed more Nolan influenced.

Atty
July 15th, 2012, 2:08 PM
All the videos have been removed by the user.

Probably for the best. The trailer SOUNDED good but was a two and a half minute trailer divided into three links and filmed from the back row at Comic Con, where you couldn't make up anything on the screen. There was even a guy standing in front of the camera for a good five seconds.

I wish I hadn't watched it, so I could see it properly with TDKR for my first time. Everything sounded good in it, but I really couldn't tell much of anything from what I "saw". Once TDKR is out, this is my most anticipated movie.

Guy
July 15th, 2012, 2:56 PM
I'll be annoyed if this movie is grounded in keywords such as "dark" and "gritty".

Superman is an upbeat, affirmative and positive force for good. He is not Batman.

Mik
July 15th, 2012, 6:54 PM
Change the record, please.

Guy
July 15th, 2012, 6:59 PM
Eh?

El Capitano Gatisto
July 15th, 2012, 7:13 PM
Superman films were perfected in the 70s and 80s. Similarly, Batman reached its heights with Michael Keaton. These pointless reboots need to stop, unless Michael Keaton is being cast in all of the roles.

virms
July 15th, 2012, 7:30 PM
Superman with a beard wlis immense though. It is basically Jesus.

Guy
July 15th, 2012, 7:31 PM
http://fluffrick.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/multiplicity.jpg

G-Fresh
July 15th, 2012, 7:32 PM
Multiplicity is boss shit.

El Capitano Gatisto
July 15th, 2012, 7:34 PM
http://fluffrick.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/multiplicity.jpg

Brilliant film. Genuinely one of the films I have watched the most times and it never gets old (I mean post aged ten year, I probably watched both Ghostbusters films and Harry and the Hendersons about a thousand times each as a kid). I watched it twice on a transatlantic flight once and was not bored. The other options were I Am Sam and some other shite so watching Multiplicity twice was an easy decision. Multiple faces of Keaton, what could be better?

Morrison
July 15th, 2012, 9:26 PM
Eh?

probably referring to your recent railing against non-overly comic booky comic book adaptations.

sam_elmendorf
July 15th, 2012, 10:26 PM
I am just talking in general about the previous Superman reboot and how I am not much of a fan of his character or origins.

Are you thinking Superman Returns was a reboot? It wasn't.

Beer-Belly
July 16th, 2012, 2:44 AM
Superman is gay.
You enjoy listening to ICP.

G-Fresh
July 16th, 2012, 3:16 AM
You enjoy listening to ICP.

You enjoy watching CM Punks lame ass.

Guy
July 16th, 2012, 5:26 AM
probably referring to your recent railing against non-overly comic booky comic book adaptations.

All I'm saying is Batman is dark, moody, gothic and noir-ish. Superman isn't. Superman is the complete opposite of that in-fact. He's light, affirmative, positive, a moral poster boy and the cheered face of heroism.

Derek
July 16th, 2012, 5:27 AM
Which is one of the primary reasons that Batman and Superman often don't get along.

G-Fresh
July 16th, 2012, 5:35 AM
Batman doesn't like aliens.

Derek
July 16th, 2012, 5:36 AM
Which is exactly why he left Martian Manhunter a Choco on his casket.

Guy
July 16th, 2012, 5:48 AM
Which is one of the primary reasons that Batman and Superman often don't get along.

Yep.

That and Batman's simmering jealousy.

G-Fresh
July 16th, 2012, 6:02 AM
Jealousy of Superman's Anunnaki powers

Beer-Belly
July 16th, 2012, 12:29 PM
You enjoy watching CM Punks lame ass.Nigga, you're John Cena's number one fan.

Nitram
July 16th, 2012, 3:18 PM
Here's the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a_titQhJd8

Picture is shit but it was still enough to give me goosebumbs.

Atty
July 16th, 2012, 3:37 PM
All I'm saying is Batman is dark, moody, gothic and noir-ish. Superman isn't. Superman is the complete opposite of that in-fact. He's light, affirmative, positive, a moral poster boy and the cheered face of heroism.

You really need to stop making base assumptions based on basically nothing. With Batman, you flipped over a few stills of Catwoman with a gun without knowing how it ties into the story and acted like a child about it while knowing basically zero. She's used a gun numerous times, with one rather massive storyline revolving around it, and you don't know how it fits but flipped out. Here, you think Superman is too dark based on the first bits anyone has seen of the movie.

Yes, Superman tends to be presented in brighter colors but of the many things alluded to over the years is how this persona is the face he puts out there as a symbol. He wants to fit in as the generic boy scout ideal. He's the last of his species and alone on Earth. His story is trying to fit into a world that he just doesn't. He has to constantly hold back for fear of hurting or killing someone. Even in the bright and cheery classic films, which I assume you're basing much of this assumption on, he flips out in the first, betrays his father's rules and, in the second, gives up all his powers, without a second thought for the consequences, for the chance to fit in—for the chance to feel normal. He's always been a character that, while he tries to be a boy scout, is trapped behind sadness for how alone he feels. This is also why he tends to be far less cautious with anything that links to his home world.

If they are going to explore the character more thoroughly than the generic mold or have him as more than a peeping Tom on Lois's family, I couldn't be more pleased.

virms
July 16th, 2012, 4:24 PM
Guy's fiance is gonna be suspicious about Guy's loose asshole after that raping.

LOCONUT
July 16th, 2012, 4:34 PM
Dark Superman sounds kind of wonderful to me.

RuneEdge
July 16th, 2012, 5:09 PM
But does that still make it a "Superman movie"? What's doct1400's take on this?

Guy
July 16th, 2012, 5:20 PM
Here, you think Superman is too dark based on the first bits anyone has seen of the movie.

No I didn't. I said I would be annoyed IF it became "dark" and "gritty".

The rest of your post is irrelevant after your mistake, as not only have you assumed that I said this film is already too dark (when I haven't), but you've also assumed I've only seen a few Donner films and that's what I've based my entire Superman impression on (which is also not true).

So to quote yourself.

You really need to stop making base assumptions based on basically nothing.

G-Fresh
July 16th, 2012, 5:31 PM
Nigga, you're John Cena's number one fan.

ICP & John Cena>Superman & CM Punk

Beer-Belly
July 16th, 2012, 6:38 PM
Cena and Superman wouldn't fight each other considering they're pretty much the same person.

virms
July 16th, 2012, 6:40 PM
Nah superman has a weakness. Cena doesnt.

Delta Devil
July 16th, 2012, 6:42 PM
Cena and Superman wouldn't fight each other considering they're pretty much the same person.

They fought back in Superman 3. Cena lost that match though.

Version 6
July 16th, 2012, 7:19 PM

The rest of your post is irrelevant after your mistake, as not only have you assumed that I said this film is already too dark (when I haven't), but you've also assumed I've only seen a few Donner films and that's what I've based my entire Superman impression on (which is also not true).

So to quote yourself.

I have no idea whether this film will or won't be "dark" and "gritty".

Even if Superman is as you say he is (the personification of virtue), why can't there be a dark take on telling the story of that person? The tone of the film can be sombre and somewhat dark without the protgagonist being some kind of flawed anti-hero.

I mean the Rocky Balboa character you love so much is virtuous and inherently good. He doesn't really become "flawed" until the third film and even then he's come full circle by the end of that film. But that series explores some very dark themes.

Also, there's been numerous different tellings of Batman's story (in film and print). And they aren't all told exactly the same way. Adam West's Batman is completely different in tone to Nolan's, which is completely different to Burton's.

Atty
July 16th, 2012, 7:33 PM

So to quote yourself.

Since the rest of the post was saying how Superman isn't always bright and cheery, even in his most famous interpretations, it's not irrelevant at all. And I never said or assumed you only saw the Donner films. Well, film. Really, it doesn't change anything of what I posted.

lotjx
July 16th, 2012, 7:45 PM
And not everything is gritty and dark. Minus Batman, Marvel has proven light characters like Cap and Iron Man are box office gold. Superman is not dark and gritty and there are very few good stories about how dark he gets. Kingdom Come is one of the few that comes to mind and they are not going to do that.

Beer-Belly
July 16th, 2012, 8:41 PM
Being a superhero or a vigilante would inevitably lead you into some dark shit.

The Doc
July 16th, 2012, 9:13 PM
And not everything is gritty and dark. Minus Batman, Marvel has proven light characters like Cap and Iron Man are box office gold. Superman is not dark and gritty and there are very few good stories about how dark he gets. Kingdom Come is one of the few that comes to mind and they are not going to do that.

I'm not sure Ironman is particularly light. It's just somehow he's still lovable even when he gets drunk and nearly kills dozens of party goers with his suit.

The_Mike
July 16th, 2012, 9:30 PM
Are you thinking Superman Returns was a reboot? It wasn't.

It was more of a System Restore, really. Possibly a Driver Rollback.

Guy
July 17th, 2012, 2:15 AM
I have no idea whether this film will or won't be "dark" and "gritty".

Even if Superman is as you say he is (the personification of virtue), why can't there be a dark take on telling the story of that person? The tone of the film can be sombre and somewhat dark without the protgagonist being some kind of flawed anti-hero.

I mean the Rocky Balboa character you love so much is virtuous and inherently good. He doesn't really become "flawed" until the third film and even then he's come full circle by the end of that film. But that series explores some very dark themes.

Also, there's been numerous different tellings of Batman's story (in film and print). And they aren't all told exactly the same way. Adam West's Batman is completely different in tone to Nolan's, which is completely different to Burton's.

I'm not saying that it WILL be, rather that I'd be annoyed if it's marketed that particular way. I have no issue with conflict, I have no issue with Superman going through periods of doubt or isolation. What I do have issue with is the film jumping on the "dark, flawed, reboot" bandwagon which has become the norm since Batman Begins. what a lot of people that churn out these reboots don't seem to realise is that the reason it worked with Batman is because Batman is dark, flawed, moody "gritty" and sometimes outright depressing. Superman is not.

Superman has gone through some dark periods, but he is not portrayed as a dark superhero. He is not muted colours and self wallowing. He is a poster boy of a force of light. He is uplifting music, bright colours and rousing speeches. He is the upholder of the American dream, the man bathes in the light of the sun to strengthen his powers. As a hero he is presented, purposefully, as the aesthetic and moral POLAR OPPOSITE of Batman. My main concern is that in going down this reboot lane and with a lot of reports of it being "Nolan influenced", they could miss the fact that Superman is supposed to be a blinding force of wide eyed optimism. There are a LOT of flawed brooding Superheroes that could do with this kind of reboot (Daredevil, Ghost Rider, Moon Knight, Blade), Superman however is not one of these. Yes he may go through some darker periods, but generally, altogether as a character he is not dark, at all.

And I don't think the Adam West (or even to a point the Joel Schumacher) Batman's really come into play here, as they were both, to a point, simply parodies of the genre. None of them were designed to be serious interpretations of the character.

And I never said or assumed you only saw the Donner films.

What? You literally said that you assumed I was basing my opinion on only the earlier movies. Other than the early classic Donner-started series what other movies were you on about?

Even in the bright and cheery classic films, which I assume you're basing much of this assumption on, he flips out in the first, betrays his father's rules and, in the second, gives up all his powers, without a second thought for the consequences, for the chance to fit in—for the chance to feel normal.

And besides, as you've so clearly pointed out for me, the older films do touch on darker conflicts and darker themes, but in no way could be described as "dark" movies. Which is entirely my point to begin with.

Atty
July 17th, 2012, 3:20 AM
:lol:

Blood, mate, you just quoted me saying what I said I said. I never said you based your opinions entirely on the films and you grabbed a quote and bolded it that says just that. In your bolded text it says that I was assuming you based much, not all, on the movies. So, no, I never "literally said" that you were basing your opinion "only" on the previous films. At least read the stuff you're quoting to prove me wrong.

Guy
July 17th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Christ, you can argue semantics all you like. Whether you literally said I've "only ever seen" the 70's/80's movies is irrelevant, the point remains you assumed I was basing most of my opinion on one older series of films, and I wasn't.

My opinion on what Supes should be portrayed as is based in endless amount comics, 5 live action movies, a shit load of old serials, a few different animated series and cartoons, a handful of animated movies, a couple of live action TV series, and a few video games, all of which, for the most part, show him to be a kind-hearted, noble, moral, brightly coloured, positive iconic force of goodness, peace and light.

A Superman movie should look and feel nothing like a Baman movie, that's what Batman movies are for.

Alf
July 17th, 2012, 12:07 PM
Totally agree with BlueFilter here.

Atty
July 17th, 2012, 1:05 PM
show him to be a kind-hearted, noble, moral, brightly coloured, positive iconic force of goodness, peace and light.

Here's the thing: no one is saying otherwise and there's no indication that the movie is heading that way. Just that people would like to see different themes explored of his character. Personally, I'd love to see it (given that it's an origin reboot) examine why he's the boy scout and why he takes that approach. Begins did that exceptionally with why Batman won't kill people and this is the perfect opportunity to look at Supes in a similar way, where the film is mostly about him and not baddies.

Zarius
July 17th, 2012, 1:39 PM
I think this will definatly be a good journeyman film, think the Donner flicks' young Clark acts only extended slightly and intermixed with the Metropolis acts. Having a Nolan tone doesnt spell out "this is Batman" neccersarily...I take that as meaning a multitude of thing, like bit characters with..well, character, a little less cartoonish acting from the citizens (you know, the type in the Raimi movies and the Donner/Lester flicks, not that I'm slating them for that) etc, that sort of thing.

Amazing Spider-Man is a terrible movie btw. Totally makes no sense, boring love interest (Gwen was always boring, this isnt me slating the actress, who did well), uninteresting villain, gives a big finger to the comics and Uncle Ben, abandons the main thrust of it's story half-way through to focus on the Lizard angle, wisecracks that arent funny. Horrible, overrated mess. Have no idea why people love it.

Atty
July 17th, 2012, 2:05 PM
Yeah, I suspect it'll be a totally different take than Donner/Singer/Lester, much like how Begins was a totally different take than Burton/Schumaker.

I've not seen the new Spidey for much the reasons you stated. One of my best friends from high school has always been a massive Spidey fan and after he saw it, he just messaged me telling me not to. The only good thing he had to say was that he cracks more jokes in it and, while he didn't say what, he said the take on Uncle Ben totally put him off.

Guy
July 17th, 2012, 3:38 PM
I've yet to see the new Spider-Man movie. Part of me wants to because it's Spidey, another part of me is totally indifferent because it's his fucking origins again.

And funnily enough a third part of me is annoyed that it was marketed as dark, gritty, emo Parker...

I don't know if the film IS like that (I've heard it's more a love story than anything) but again I just felt like it had been rebooted for the sake of fitting into a current trend of "mega serious" reboots rather than because it need to be (which it didn't). The thing with a movie like Batman is that we never had a straight origin story in the first movies (we had parents shot, that was it). However in Superman/Spider-Man we've had a clear origin done in critically adored and publicly well received movies. These reboots should take less ideas from Batman and more ideas from say, The Incredible Hulk, which just crammed the origin into the opening credits and gave the audience enough credit to know who the fuck The Hulk is by now. The film may not have been perfect, but at least we didn't get the dragged out re-telling of the origin. Spider-Man and Superman don't really need that.

Also none of the Superman movies have really "been about the baddies". Part 2 had some strong physical villains in admittedly. But Part 1 was all about Clark and becoming Superman, Part 2 was about the loss of his powers and relationship with Lois. 3 was a return to Smallville as well as an inner struggle (as well as shit comedy and giant machine appearing at the end). 4 is best forgotten by everyone. Returns, if I remember rightly, was actually criticised for just showing an emotional, whining, emo Superman going up against the re-hashed plot of land development from the first movie and not actually having anyone for Supes to have a genuine out and out brawl with.

I actually believe if there's one thing Superman DOES need at this point in the movies it's a genuine knock down, drag out, massive physical super fucking BRAWL. He needs a physical challenge that isn't catching a plane, or catching a bus, or catching a train, or plugging a dam, or lifting some piece of rock or ground. He needs a villain that doesn't need to use Kryptonite to kick seven bells of shit out him. In Superman II he'd given up his powers for a majority of the movie eventually challenging the 3 Kryptonians in the last act, and whilst the final battle was pretty cool, he did fight 3 of them off in one go around. Also, annoyingly in Man of Steel they seem to be going with Zod...again.

LOCONUT
July 17th, 2012, 3:48 PM
I have never read comics but I can confidently say that all of Blood's relentless arguing has made me hate comic books. I will never understand the people who need their big Hollywood Blockbuster films to be true to some gay comic book. Even the fact that many of you are so influenced by the impact of comic books is confusing to me. I don't understand why some of you dudes find it so important that if a remake isn't accurate or a superhero film isn't true to the comics that you let it interfere with how you enjoy a movie.

Guy
July 17th, 2012, 4:44 PM
To be honest, your argument lost credibility at "gay comic books".

If a movie is a shit interpretation of an existing text, then fans of that existing text will no doubt be disappointed in the adaptation. It's the same for ANY text that's adapted. Be it a novel or even a movie continuation of a TV series. At the moment it just happens to be comics.

Of course not everything has to be an exact translation. I just got through with some of the great early Hammer Horror Dracula movies that are wildly different from the original novel. I enjoy them on their own merits, but as a fan of Bram Stoker's Dracula, of course there will always be that urge to see it done with proper respect shown to the original story, characters and message.

I'm waiting for someone to make a truly knockout 1800's set War of the Worlds. I'm not a huge fan of the fifties version, the Tom Cruise/Spielberg one is a great popcorn flick though. Setting that novel in the present day isn't the worst idea in the world (I mean it wasn't written as a period piece at the time) but for me the real enjoyment from the novel is 1800's London under siege from gigantic futuristic alien invaders, which has yet to be captured properly on film.

Jimmy Zero
July 17th, 2012, 4:51 PM
I don't really see why Blood is catching all this shit. I kind of agree with him, to a degree. I don't mind if the world they establish in this new Superman world is a darker grittier world, but the Superman character should still be "the boy scout." Exploring the reasons why he projects that image, in spite of his overwhelming loneliness would be an excellent way to go, though.

Atty
July 17th, 2012, 4:54 PM
I actually believe if there's one thing Superman DOES need at this point in the movies it's a genuine knock down, drag out, massive physical super fucking BRAWL. He needs a physical challenge that isn't catching a plane, or catching a bus, or catching a train, or plugging a dam, or lifting some piece of rock or ground. He needs a villain that doesn't need to use Kryptonite to kick seven bells of shit out him. In Superman II he'd given up his powers for a majority of the movie eventually challenging the 3 Kryptonians in the last act, and whilst the final battle was pretty cool, he did fight 3 of them off in one go around. Also, annoyingly in Man of Steel they seem to be going with Zod...again.

This is based purely on assumption, but I figure Zod in this will be a bit like Ra's in Batman Begins. Shows up at the beginning or in flashbacks of Krypton, while the story focuses on Supes. Then he shows at the end for the big fight.

I want a Brainiac movie at some point, but that would be hard to do with the first film. He's a second film type villain, especially if they borrow from TAS and put him on Krypton just prior to destruction. Brainiac as a self replicating nano machine could be very unique and cool to see in a big budget film. Costner as Pa Kent is an interesting touch. I'm hoping they don't off him right away like in Donner so he can be his father figure in this series.

lotjx
July 17th, 2012, 4:59 PM
The Superman TAS Brainiac origin while Timm argued against it. It would make a great intro to a sequel or even into a JLA movie. Brainiac is one of the few villains where I can see him take on the League. I am not sure how they will do Zod considering I love how he is introduced in Superman I. Brando listing off the list of crimes and then slowly lifting his head with an evil gaze is just awesome. Add in the Temptation of Jor-EL was incredible. I suspect they may go with Zod taking over Krypton and Jor-El blasting him with the Phantom Zone gun like he did in the comics. I wonder if he will come in with the army of Bizzaros like he did in the comics?

LOCONUT
July 17th, 2012, 5:03 PM
Blood, the key word word there is interpretation. Most people understand the need to alter material for films because the medium is different. And I dont lose any credibilty just because I think comics are nerdy.

And why not go in with an open mind on how this crew will entertain you with their interpretation. Tell the source material to fuck off.

Guy
July 17th, 2012, 5:23 PM
Because the source material is the attraction in the first place. Why both to adapt a specific character if you're going to change the things about them and that universe that made people enjoy them in the first place? Might as well just make your own thing at that point. From a money-making perspective, surely it makes sense to appeal to people's familiarity with the source material? It seems that some companies nowadays are missing that, and are instead just jumping to a few iconic brand name titles and appealing to people's familiarity with enjoyment of the new Batman movies.

The thing about adapting things to film is, that yes whilst sometimes there does have to be small alterations here and there, Dark Knight and The Avengers (as well as Sin City and to a lesser extent Watchmen) just utterly proved that it is actually completely possibly to do a genuine adaptation with minimal alterations. Perhaps when these movies first started coming about in the seventies and eighties, changes needed to be made for audiences unfamiliar with the source material (Batman killing people off in the anti-hero world of the eighties for example). But due to the advent of these here Internets, and the rise in popularity of the comic book hero in general, that's not a concern anymore as people are so clued up, and those that aren't can be within seconds of a Google search.

I've said it before, but I give Marvel the biggest pat on the back for announcing their next movie to have a talking, space traveling, gun shooting Racoon in it...and have it be a serious translation of their medium. I mean how fucking ballsy is that, how much belief must they have in the source to take that chance?

Comic book films are such a massive property nowadays that they CAN cater to the specific needs of the individual hero, and I for one hope that we have a wide variety of individual comic books heroes on screen representing all genres. I'd hate for such a missed oppurtunity as having superhero movies dominating the box office year after year...and them all have similar themes, aesthetics and plot points. Let's have noir Batman, if you don't like that then there's teenage drama Spidey, and if you don't like that then there's the smashy brainless action of Hulk, if you don't like that then there's the gee-whiz serial throwback in Captain America, if you don't like that then there's the grindhouse feel of Punisher: War Zone, if you don't like that there's the retro-social commentary of Watchmen, if you don't like that then there's the the horror action of Blade, or just the straight up horror of 30 Days of Night or the sci-fi comedy of Men in Black, or other worldy fantasy of Thor.

And if you want to see an uplifting, patriotic, inspirational, movie with a moral and good willed hero then there's Superman.

Beefy
July 17th, 2012, 5:33 PM
I'm with Blood 100%. Seems like some people are purely arguing with him at that point no matter what he says.

I'm not a comic book person but in fiction in general it annoys me so much when people come in and tamper with with the source material. Come up with your own IP if you're just going to change everything.

Nolan has a lot to answer for, IMO. Not everything has to be dark and moody.

Atty
July 17th, 2012, 6:34 PM
Nolan has a lot to answer for? Blood just made a great case for his Batmans, Whedon's Avengers and Snyder's Watchmen as adaptations. No one has seen Nolan's Superman which is being done by the people behind two of those examples.

Guy
July 17th, 2012, 6:38 PM
I assume Beefy means by accidentally starting the trend.

The same way Scream has a lot to answer for by spawning that shit-ton of crappy self aware slasher movies in the nineties/early noughties.

Not that Nolan's to blame.

LOCONUT
July 17th, 2012, 6:45 PM
Beefy is just agreeing with Blood for the sake of agreeing.

I hope Superman is somewhat dark because I think his character would fit quite well in a dark setting. Some of the best parts of the original films were fairly dark anyway. I am sure that the producer and director in this case are intelligent enough to keep some element of humor and charm in the character. There may not be as many nods to the fanboys as AVENGERS had, but I would guess that they do it justice(lol).

Atty
July 17th, 2012, 6:46 PM
I really don't see him starting the trend by fact of Burton having Batman kill guys in the 80s and all the silliness of many early comic book films. They certainly seem more "faithful" than they used to. Again, I've not seen Spidey so I can't speak for that, but Batman, Avengers, Watchmen and even First Class seem much more faithful.

Atty
July 17th, 2012, 6:50 PM
Beefy is just agreeing with Blood for the sake of agreeing.

I hope Superman is somewhat dark because I think his character would fit quite well in a dark setting. Some of the best parts of the original films were fairly dark anyway. I am sure that the producer and director in this case are intelligent enough to keep some element of humor and charm in the character. There may not be as many nods to the fanboys as AVENGERS had, but I would guess that they do it justice(lol).

Superman defying his father and altering human history in the original film was absolutely beautiful, even though it ignored science and his known abilities. It showed him in a dark place and venting all his rage. With all his powers, with all his virtue, there are things he can't do. In the Donner Cut of 2, the scenes where he gives up and gets back his powers are absolute perfection. Really, a shame Lester cut all of Brando's work out to avoid paying him when they changed directors.

Superman dealing with dark themes as he finds out who he is really shouldn't be a problem.

Guy
July 17th, 2012, 7:59 PM
I completely love some of Superman's darker moments. However they only work so effectively because of how light, moralistic and optimistic and publicly adored he usually is. Without that, all purpose behind a lot of those darker subject matters lose half their momentum and shock value.

Guy
July 17th, 2012, 8:10 PM
http://www.actclassy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/1238408638_superman_drinking_.gif

http://crudefutures.typepad.com/crude_futures/files/cf-superNuts.gif

Mik
July 18th, 2012, 1:48 PM
I don't necessarily disagree with bloods points, I agree with some of them. It's just phenomenally predictable that he keeps wheeling the same tired argument out time and again, often in advance of something coming out...or without having scene what he's talking about. His opinion has no open-minded mess to it and like many of his warped beliefs he has no give in them at all, so he might as well state his opinion once and then move on because it is never going to change.

It does annoy me when they alter the source materials of novels into the film adaptation for no good reason, but invariably novels are written by one person and they are a definitive vision. Comic books are one interpretation of many, so why can the films not be so? Especially considering many of the different comc book interpretations are VASTLY different from one writer/illustrator to the next.

Now, with that said I do agree with you that there is no reason why the film interpretations should try and reinvent the wheel, after all there is a commonly accepted canon there that is an easy in for audiences. But who has said that the new superman is breaking the canon just because elements of it might be a little darker? I saw the new Spiderman and it was bloody good, better than the Tobey Maguire trash and I'm qualified to talk about them BECAUSE I'VE SEEN THEM, but I don't know of much that it's broke in terms of canon, it just is slightly differently themed. The new Superman might be the same case, you don't know cos you've not seen it yet.

Guy
July 18th, 2012, 4:48 PM
It's just phenomenally predictable that he keeps wheeling the same tired argument out time and again, often in advance of something coming out...or without having scene what he's talking about.

Except all those other movies I've discussed that I felt did things right with the franchises such as Watchmen or The Avengers and the Marvel series of movies. And earlier on when I was banging on about the removal of the surreal elements of the Batman mythos, that was based on the well established, ALREADY EXISTING, previous two films in the franchise as well as the upcoming one.

And besides, of course I'm going to talk about what I hope a major blockbuster starring a well loved character is like in advance of it coming out...

Comic books are one interpretation of many, so why can the films not be so? Especially considering many of the different comc book interpretations are VASTLY different from one writer/illustrator to the next.

The comics do tend to keep the same themes, motivations and aesthetics however. Of course they're different from one comic to the next each and everytime a comic is plotted, written, edited, drawn, inked, coloured, lettered in a different way. However the character motivations, the cores themes of who they are and the style and feel of the world they inhabit tend to gravitate towards an expected or accepted ideal.

The films can be plotted, written, designed, cast, directed, shot, edited, scored and marketed different way each and every-time, giving each version their own advantages and dis-advantages, pluses and minuses, but I believe it's important to make sure the characters are respected and treated correctly in the sense of their particular theme or even genre. Otherwise you end up with complete character changes and assassinations along the lines of Batman and Robin. I'm not saying something cannot have darker themes when it's usually lighter source material, I'm just saying it shouldn't be altered completely just to fit a current marketing trend.

I'm not even saying this new Superman has been. I've only seen a few posters and stills of the costume, heard word that it's very "Nolan influenced" and merely said that "I hope it isn't dark and moody". That was pretty much literally my one line of opinion that's kick-started all this mess.

But who has said that the new superman is breaking the canon just because elements of it might be a little darker?

Nobody has.

I don't mind it having darker elements at all, I was simply stating that I hope the entire film isn't masked over with a washed out, doom and gloom feel to it. Supes isn't that, and those darker elements obviously impact more when juxtaposed against what Superman actually is as a character, and the brighter, optimistic feel of the fictional world he inhabits.

I saw the new Spiderman and it was bloody good, better than the Tobey Maguire trash and I'm qualified to talk about them BECAUSE I'VE SEEN THEM, but I don't know of much that it's broke in terms of canon, it just is slightly differently themed. The new Superman might be the same case, you don't know cos you've not seen it yet.

As I mentioned I haven't seen the new Spidey yet. But that's more because I feel like I've already been there with the previous Spider-Man movies, and refuse to give my money over to see a re-hashed story so soon after the Raimi movies. And to say those first two Spidey films are trash is a bit of a reach isn't it? Considering that Spider-Man 2 was widely considered one of the better comic book movies of all time.

I'm actually happy to hear that Spidey quips more in the new film, as that let the character down in the first movies quite a bit (one of my few complaints with them, other than part 3 of course), but the fact that it was a completely unnecessary origin reboot and marketed as a dark, gritty Spider-Man, are the reasons I didn't bother with going to see it. More so the reboot part than the "darkness" of it all. I'll catch it on DVD, I'm sure I'll enjoy it, hell it might turn out to be completely incredible, at which point I'll say how much I loved it.....but it's still an unnecessary re-telling of his origin, regardless of tone.

Guy
July 21st, 2012, 1:49 PM
Haven't seen The Dark Knight Rises yet, I assume this is the footage playing in front of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jKWJZsjm5U

Delta Devil
July 21st, 2012, 2:11 PM
Yup, saw it at the midnight showing. Been waiting to see something from this, and this teaser did the job. Judging by the trailer though, Zack may have gone with the handheld/shaky camera style, which I despise for the most part, but I still have faith in the guy. Can't wait to see a full trailer.

Returns was a shining example of a disappointing movie that started out with unlimited possibilities. With Zack in the driver's seat, one can only imagine how intense the fights will be here.

I just don't want it to be Tree of Life meets Superman.

Guy
July 21st, 2012, 2:16 PM
Yea I'm interested by the independent movie look. Could massively work in the movies favour (I'm thinking Chronicle), or it could massively not.

Colour me intrigued.

Fanny
July 21st, 2012, 2:28 PM
that teaser made me jizz through my jeans.

Guy
July 21st, 2012, 2:33 PM
Have you seen this Fanman?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3oN3EJcfwE

Fanny
July 21st, 2012, 2:41 PM
not until just now. Sort of wish I hadn't. Impressively put together and fair play to them though

Mik
July 21st, 2012, 5:51 PM
Haven't seen The Dark Knight Rises yet, I assume this is the footage playing in front of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jKWJZsjm5U

I liked that.

Delta Devil
July 21st, 2012, 7:38 PM
One thing that's odd is that when I saw the trailer before DKR, it was Russel Crowe doing the voice over. Interesting...

EDIT. Ahh, it seems there are 2 teasers, one with Kevin and one with Russel. I guess I saw the one with Russel.

Also, I put on the "Life" theme from Prometheus, and listening to it while watching the end of the trailer was pretty cool. I always felt the Prometheus score would have fit Superman better.

Mik
July 21st, 2012, 7:40 PM
Isn't it Crowe at the start and then kostner?

virms
July 21st, 2012, 8:53 PM
Yeah that is what I heard. Crowe for a bit and then Costner. Anywho, I am not sure if i am digging the new suit fully. I will await till I see the movie before I judge it but somethibg about it is just a little bit off for me.

Fanny
July 21st, 2012, 8:58 PM
I love how it actually means something and is more firmly rooted in Kryptonian history

McBain
July 21st, 2012, 11:20 PM
Which teaser can we see the suit in?

Fanny
July 21st, 2012, 11:23 PM
neither that I've seen. Not close up anyway. There's a shot of him from afar and through clouds going up into the atmosphere at the end of the teaser - the flight looks very cool. There are plenty images from shooting on the web that gives a fairly good view of it though.

I'm hearing there are separate teasers out, one with Crowe performing the monolgue and one with Costner, but I was fairly sure that it was an amalgam - perhaps one is and the other is just one of them. Dunno.

McBain
July 21st, 2012, 11:27 PM
Ah right. So they've dropped the undies over the tights look. Sensible.

Fanny
July 21st, 2012, 11:32 PM
yeah - The suit is basically, as far as I can tell, some sort of Kryptonian garment - several shots of Crowe show him in a really regal, yet dark and almost medieval, get-up/overcoat/cloak type of thing but it's clear that he's wearing the same sort of suit underneath.

Also (and this is a spoiler regarding a setting/general scene from the film apparently there is a significant scene of warfare on Krypton itself, which sounds pretty badass. Jor-El sounds like a fucking dude in this

As far as the 'Snyder shakey camera' reference from someone earlier...well, there were some pretty atmospheric shots on a boat in the teaser that were fairly shakey, but not like they were on hand-held. For the rest of it I really, really liked the feel of the shooting.

Judas Iscariot
July 22nd, 2012, 4:36 AM
I liked the feel of it, too.

Here's hoping Snyder can get me into Superman.

Guy
July 22nd, 2012, 7:47 AM
For those that want to see what the suit looks like

http://collider.com/wp-content/uploads/superman-man-of-steel-set-photo-costume-henry-cavill-01.jpg

For those that want to see what Russell Crowe's Jor-El costume looks like

http://thefilmstage.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/crowe_man_of_steel_2.jpg

For those who want to see what Superman looks like currently in the comics (like Batman they removed the underpants look some time ago)

http://www.filmbuffonline.com/FBOLNewsreel/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/jl01c.jpg

And for those who want a wallpaper of the new Men of Steel Superman crushing a vault door

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/images/still/man-of-steel01.jpg

I'm interested in the idea that Snyder took Watchmen, which has some extremely dark subject matter but surprisingly colourful as a comic, and managed to somehow bathe the movie in this strange smooth colourful "glow" almost. Yet here has taken the most colourful and glowing superhero and really muted the colours of him. I'll be interested in seeing how the Superman scenes play out against the Clark Kent scenes.

Morrison
July 22nd, 2012, 7:51 AM
by the end of the trailer, where superman, in full suit, is flying through the sky, it looks fairly bright and colorful.

Guy
July 22nd, 2012, 7:57 AM
Yea exactly. I mean looking at the rest of the trailer it really is quite muted, and then that promo of him with the vault door is the same. But as you say the one Superman shot is pretty colourful, I'll be intrigued to see if that was purposely done or that's just shooting a blue sky. If the whole film is shot with that handheld, earthy style that the opening of the teaser is, you'd only have to brighten the colours slightly during the Superman scenes to get the subliminal effect of optimism.

Guy
July 22nd, 2012, 8:00 AM
Oh whilst I'm here, I watched the Donner cut of Superman II for the first time last night. Massively different film, I was really on board with it until the final 5 or so minutes, then it all just fell apart.

Also I can see why they added the Paris scene in the opening of the first cut, as ridiculous as it is, because there's barely any Superman in Donner's Superman II.

lotjx
July 22nd, 2012, 8:06 AM
The Donner cut is terrible. Yes, he got rid of the somewhat silly fight scene, but what he added was stupid. Lois with a gun. The spinning around the Earth and dropping the General Zod would you care to step outside line is unforgivable. After seeing the teaser, it reminds me a lot of Batman Begins. Hero goes on a journey across the globe. Don't know if they can pull that trick off twice. The camera looks more like Nolan than Snyder, too.

Guy
July 22nd, 2012, 8:14 AM
I like that the silly S throw is gone, I guess I prefer the blank gun to Clark just....tripping face first into a fireplace.

But yes the "step outside" line was brilliant, and globe spinning...again? Plus later on it makes no sense when he goes back to the bar and the bartender says he just finished having the place fixed (when time was reversed). Also no matter if she's jumping out of a window, or jumping off of Niagra falls, Lois leaping to her doom on a hunch is still radically daft.

lotjx
July 22nd, 2012, 8:37 AM
I like Clark tripping, because its his sub conscious saying Its time. The gun just seems so out of nowhere with Lois. I like Clark making the decision to tell her instead of her forcing it out of him in a bizarre gun play game.

McBain
July 22nd, 2012, 8:37 AM
How does Superman vs Batman work. Is one of them bad, or is it a competition to defeat the most evil? Genuine question.

lotjx
July 22nd, 2012, 8:41 AM
How does Superman vs Batman work. Is one of them bad, or is it a competition to defeat the most evil? Genuine question.

If Batman is considered an outlaw like he has been in several comics and shows, Superman, the boy scout, is asked to bring him in. Dark Knight Returns is the perfect example of this. I did like New Frontier of having a fight with Bats winning mainly to keep the government off of Sups back about it and making Bats a legit main eventer. You could have done that at the end of Dark Knight now, I don't know.

Guy
July 22nd, 2012, 8:51 AM
In Batman: Hush, Poison Ivy had hormoned all over Superman so that he was one of her man slaves. Batman beat him with nothing but a Kryptonite ring.

Guy
July 22nd, 2012, 10:33 AM
Costner narration

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpvOT6HJCmg

Crowe narration

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zld8i2mRxb0

Atty
July 22nd, 2012, 6:41 PM
I like that the silly S throw is gone, I guess I prefer the blank gun to Clark just....tripping face first into a fireplace.

But yes the "step outside" line was brilliant, and globe spinning...again? Plus later on it makes no sense when he goes back to the bar and the bartender says he just finished having the place fixed (when time was reversed). Also no matter if she's jumping out of a window, or jumping off of Niagra falls, Lois leaping to her doom on a hunch is still radically daft.

Well, here's the thing with spinning the world back—that was supposed to be the end of Donner's Superman II, with him throwing the nuke into space and releasing Zod at the end of 1. When he knew the Salkins were going to fire him, he moved that up to the first film and had Lois die in it. The Donner Cut of 2, as explained in commentaries, is what he would have put for it had it been his original two film arc. Far too many people see it and miss that. It was meant to be him turning back so he never breaks Lois's heart, releases Zod, gets California nuked all in one. Superman 1 was to be very different at the end until Donner had to condense to get it out and the Donner Cut assumes that.

The scenes with Jor-El in the Donner Cut are among the best ever filmed for Superman and the Salkins and Lester (who took over 2) let them die on the cutting room floor as they had to have Lester direct at least 51% to get Donner's name off and that did that and got them out of paying Brando.

Delta Devil
July 22nd, 2012, 7:04 PM
In Batman: Hush, Poison Ivy had hormoned all over Superman so that he was one of her man slaves. Batman beat him with nothing but a Kryptonite ring.

I do believe Batman's inner monologue was saying that Supes was holding back, that he could have pounded him into the pavement at any time. But still, he did hand his ass to him with a few good shots. :yes:

Mark84j
July 22nd, 2012, 7:07 PM
The story of how Hans Zimmer got the score gig is pretty cool though.

I put the score of Prometheus on top of the end part of the trailer. Fits better, I'd say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCtG1zPUGoQ

Atty
July 22nd, 2012, 7:32 PM
I do believe Batman's inner monologue was saying that Supes was holding back, that he could have pounded him into the pavement at any time. But still, he did hand his ass to him with a few good shots. :yes:

I believe he was calculating the seconds until Supes would fly in to time it all out.

Guy
July 22nd, 2012, 7:52 PM

Oh yea, it was never a case of Supes full on trying to murder Batman. But then Batman's advantage is ALWAYS that Supes never would.

Guy
July 22nd, 2012, 7:55 PM
Well, here's the thing with spinning the world back—that was supposed to be the end of Donner's Superman II, with him throwing the nuke into space and releasing Zod at the end of 1. When he knew the Salkins were going to fire him, he moved that up to the first film and had Lois die in it. The Donner Cut of 2, as explained in commentaries, is what he would have put for it had it been his original two film arc. Far too many people see it and miss that. It was meant to be him turning back so he never breaks Lois's heart, releases Zod, gets California nuked all in one. Superman 1 was to be very different at the end until Donner had to condense to get it out and the Donner Cut assumes that.

That makes a lot more sense (well, as much sense as it can make). I did enjoy the cut, but there are a lot of issues with the film.

"You can NEVER be Kryptonion again if you do this son, you will be FOREVER a human.....nah just kidding, I'll kill all the energy in my hologram so you can go back.......and now somehow you still have power to convert the other 3 Kryptonians at the end of the movie"

Also I never really agreed with him decking the truck driver in the first place, but even less so now that the truck driver wouldn't even remember who he is.

Plus there's that pesky problem of there being NO Superman in this movie until the last act. Unless you count him popping champagne bottles with his mind.

I thought they'd get rid of Zod floating a shotgun over to himself as well.

Delta Devil
July 22nd, 2012, 9:31 PM
Oh yea, it was never a case of Supes full on trying to murder Batman. But then Batman's advantage is ALWAYS that Supes never would.

Good point.

"Come on, Clark. Be the boy scout you've always been." Loved that line. :)

Atty
July 22nd, 2012, 9:58 PM
That makes a lot more sense (well, as much sense as it can make). I did enjoy the cut, but there are a lot of issues with the film.

"You can NEVER be Kryptonion again if you do this son, you will be FOREVER a human.....nah just kidding, I'll kill all the energy in my hologram so you can go back.......and now somehow you still have power to convert the other 3 Kryptonians at the end of the movie"

Also I never really agreed with him decking the truck driver in the first place, but even less so now that the truck driver wouldn't even remember who he is.

Plus there's that pesky problem of there being NO Superman in this movie until the last act. Unless you count him popping champagne bottles with his mind.

I thought they'd get rid of Zod floating a shotgun over to himself as well.

Agree on all points there. It was never going to be a perfect film due to Donner never being able to finish his cut. It's not like he can have the actors film new scenes so he had to mix and match. The Lois gun scene was her screen test, in fact. He liked that idea of her being so sure that she would do something where she would either be right or he'd be dead.

The Jor-El bits really should never have been cut. It may be a convenient way out, but it's better than absolutely no explanation, like was in the Lester cut. In that it's just "oh hi, I'M BACK!" Plus, Brando and Reeve are tremendous in that scene. Perhaps their best work in the series and it died on the cutting room floor to save money and spite a director.

The original Superman has been among my favorite movies as far back as I can remember. The Donner Cut of 2 is an improvement over 2, but was never going to be perfect. Really hope this new series makes for a definitive Superman arc (maybe Birth, Life and Death for a trilogy). Mark Millar pitched a script for a trilogy before Nolan jumped in and he described the arc with it ending in the distant future, with Superman still alive and looking on as the Sun started to nova, turned red and his powers vanished. Something like that could really be a great Godfather 3 close if done right.

Guy
July 23rd, 2012, 7:14 AM
The thing about the Lois gun scene. Is as much as the physical attributes in Reeves from the rest of the movie (and even from shot to shot in the scene itself in regards to glasses/hair) change dramatically, the fact that the performances were so consistent and so spot-on, even back then, made it so I barely even noticed it when watching the movie. I bypassed the fact that the set was sparse, that Reeves hair and glasses changed, that the sound was out of sync and that the picture was out of focus just because I was concentrating so much on their performance and the scene itself. It wasn't until I noticed the Reeves had a bit more cheekbone than usual that I started to realise the entire scene was dramatically different to the rest of the movie and that it must've been the screen test footage. But by that point the scene had practically played out.

Off topic, I just stumbled across an issue of Superman in War of the Worlds, never seen it before....well excited.

Fanny
July 24th, 2012, 12:47 AM
the trailer on the big screen looked and sounded and felt FUCKING AMAZING. I am unbelievably up for Man of Steel. Please don't make me look a tit, Zack :hyper:

Atty
July 24th, 2012, 1:04 AM
Thy Lord Nolan shall never let thee down.

Nitram
December 4th, 2012, 1:51 PM
http://media.comicbookmovie.com/images/users/uploads/10300/60557_495253320515283_338917006_n.jpg

lotjx
December 4th, 2012, 2:32 PM
Sups vs the government might be the way to get rid of the boy scout image.

Mik
December 4th, 2012, 6:15 PM
He's a big boy.

Fanny
December 4th, 2012, 6:20 PM
gigantic. Did you see Immortals? Bugger me what a big sausage he is

Mik
December 4th, 2012, 6:21 PM
He's a big handsome lump too.

Fanny
December 4th, 2012, 6:24 PM
all through Immortals Mr.s Fanny was getting extremely fed up with me continually staring at the screen open-mouthed and muttering "He's...he's just...he's SUPERMAN...he is, he's actually Superman"

Nitram
December 11th, 2012, 2:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KVu3gS7iJu4

Chris Scott
December 11th, 2012, 2:28 PM
OH YES

Alf
December 11th, 2012, 2:51 PM
Fucking SEX

lotjx
December 11th, 2012, 2:56 PM
Ah...we will see. Missing the old Williams score. I don't think Johnathan would ever tell Clark to leave a school bus full of kids to die.

Beer-Belly
December 11th, 2012, 4:35 PM
Complaining about the lack of the Williams score is like complaining about the lack of the Elfman score in the Nolan Batman movies.

Morrison
December 11th, 2012, 4:37 PM
yaaayyyy fanboy nitpicking bullshit starting already.

Mark Hammer
December 11th, 2012, 4:41 PM
Ah...we will see. Missing the old Williams score. I don't think Johnathan would ever tell Clark to leave a school bus full of kids to die.

I know man this movie sucks!

lotjx
I wouldn't bitch if they didn't in one exchange already fuck up the Johnathan/Clark relationship. I just like the old theme, same goes for Elfman, DKR is the only time, I liked that theme.

Beer-Belly
I think it looks awesome, by the way. I'm looking forward to this more than any other movie in 2013.

... but Superman isn't wearing his red panties. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!?! GAH!

Beer-Belly
December 11th, 2012, 4:48 PM
I wouldn't bitch if they didn't in one exchange already fuck up the Johnathan/Clark relationship. I just like the old theme, same goes for Elfman, DKR is the only time, I liked that theme.

How is it "fucked up"? It's one out of context line in a two minute trailer. Considering Clark is a sentient weapon of mass destruction, I'd be concerned about having my son be revealed and exploited as well.

No one's taking the Williams and Elfman scores away from you. If they don't fit the tone of films, then they shouldn't be used. A film shouldn't be scored based on fanboy nostalgia.

VHS
December 11th, 2012, 5:04 PM
Beautiful trailer! This looks bloody amazing.

And let the floodgates open and set forth the onslaught of nitpicking Internetters.

virms
December 11th, 2012, 11:33 PM
Fucking tremendous trailer. I am certain I have jizzed myself.

You know a part of me might miss it to. I won't lie. However, if they really want to land the audience on this they wouldn't have revealed it in any trailers anyways. It would be at the end to celebrate. And yes I know they aren't using it.

As far as Jonathan goes....come on...this is a different take of Superman and they have clearly established Jonathan doesn't think the world is ready for Clark/Supes. He is found at that young of an age with those abilities....I mean think about it for a second. He loses his son who is likely tested and tormented the rest of his life. He is a dad protecting his son that he loves out of fear and the unknown. Perfectly rationale thought on his part.

Jimmy Zero
December 11th, 2012, 11:43 PM
I've never been a big fan of Superman, but that trailer was incredible.

VHS
December 12th, 2012, 12:05 AM
Fucking tremendous trailer. I am certain I have jizzed myself.

You know a part of me might miss it to. I won't lie. However, if they really want to land the audience on this they wouldn't have revealed it in any trailers anyways. It would be at the end to celebrate. And yes I know they aren't using it.

As far as Jonathan goes....come on...this is a different take of Superman and they have clearly established Jonathan doesn't think the world is ready for Clark/Supes. He is found at that young of an age with those abilities....I mean think about it for a second. He loses his son who is likely tested and tormented the rest of his life. He is a dad protecting his son that he loves out of fear and the unknown. Perfectly rationale thought on his part.

Exactly, and I also love that while he wants to be protective of Clark, he still gives him the choice to be the man he chooses to be. Hence the whoever you are will change the world quote. It also retains the same "whatever it is, it's not to run touchdowns" idea from the original.

Mik
December 12th, 2012, 5:03 PM
The thing that I liked most about the trailer is that it seemed complete un-Snyder like.

Guy
December 12th, 2012, 5:09 PM
I think it's all fantastic, except I'm not a fan of how washed out it all looks.

Looking forward to seeing his interpretation of "Daily Planet" Clark

http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=924&pictureid=9853

Alf
December 12th, 2012, 5:11 PM
except I'm not a fan of how washed out it all looks.

...ohgodohgodohgodohgod. Please say it... Please.

Mik
December 12th, 2012, 5:11 PM
I think that this is more Smallville Clark somehow.

Guy
December 13th, 2012, 3:29 AM
Yea I have a bit of a feeling we won't see any Daily Planet Clark in this movie at all. I think Perry White and Lois will appear more as reporters on Superman, perhaps the movie will end with him taking the job and appearing in office with the glasses.

G-Fresh
December 13th, 2012, 3:39 AM
Charlie Sheen should play Clark.

Alf
February 14th, 2013, 8:12 PM
Matrix revolution is on... The big in air fight scenes made me think of superman.

Nitram
February 21st, 2013, 2:01 PM
This thread needs more activity :(

Any new pictures or trailers?

Fanny
February 21st, 2013, 2:04 PM
Run time confirmed as 2hr 28mins

Rip
February 21st, 2013, 2:17 PM
Ouch, that's a beast of a movie I hope we don't get 2 hours of school/college crap

Beer-Belly
February 21st, 2013, 2:34 PM
The writer says there's more action than all of the Dark Knight movies.

Defrost
April 14th, 2013, 8:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6g2ZSuWyM4

Beer-Belly
April 15th, 2013, 7:13 AM
He sounds suitably intimidating. I want a variation of "KNEEL BEFORE ZOD" in the movie, but I'm pretty sure that won't happen.

www.iwillfindhim.com

Apparently a new trailer will be released over the next couple of days.

Atty
April 15th, 2013, 10:06 AM
"Bow before Zod" would be fantastic. That's what Donner originally had before those filthy Hungarians chased him, replaced him with Richard Lester, and refilmed half of the movie so they could say 51% was directed by Lester and not give Donner credit.

Beer-Belly
April 15th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Even the Donner cut wasn't very good. It's still essentially two hours of Superman being a pussy.

Atty
April 15th, 2013, 4:24 PM
Even the Donner cut wasn't very good. It's still essentially two hours of Superman being a pussy.

Sigh.

The scenes with Jor-El in the Donner Cut are among the best ever filmed for Superman and the Salkins and Lester (who took over 2) let them die on the cutting room floor as they had to have Lester direct at least 51% to get Donner's name off and that did that and got them out of paying Brando.

The Donner Cut of 2 gets far too much hate. People don't seem to understand what it was meant to be or the fact that there was absolutely no way of him filming material beyond what the Salkins didn't destroy over twenty years before.

WizoOzz
April 16th, 2013, 2:45 PM
Ahem. Bump. (http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20647938_20691584,00.html)

VHS
April 16th, 2013, 4:25 PM
Why is Shannon's costume CG? :wtf:

Jimmy Zero
April 16th, 2013, 5:32 PM
Really haven't been to fond of the look of the Zod armor/Krypton clothes. I'm betting it'll look better on film and moving around, but I think it looks terrible in the still photos.

Beer-Belly
April 16th, 2013, 5:32 PM
Why is Shannon's costume CG? :wtf:
Probably because it would be too expensive and cumbersome to have him convincingly maneuver around in a suit of armor.

Fro
April 16th, 2013, 10:04 PM
I wasn't aware of his movie until now but I just watched the trailer and it looks great. Consider me hyped.

virms
April 16th, 2013, 11:11 PM
Seriously?

Fro
April 16th, 2013, 11:20 PM
Seriously?

Yeah, why, are comic book people not feeling it?

Morrison
April 16th, 2013, 11:22 PM
i think he's talking about you not being aware of it until just today.

Fro
April 16th, 2013, 11:35 PM
Oh. Yeah I mean I'm aware that all major comic book franchises get rebooted every 5 years but I don't follow this stuff. Come to think of it I remember some discussion back when TDKR was out about whether JGL or Bale would play Batman in upcoming DC multiverse but other than that I didn't know this was happening until I saw the new trailer on top of reddit. I'm not really a comic book guy. Movies I haven't seen include The Avengers, Iron Man 2, Captain America and the Amazing Spider Man (actually I did watch the first 20 minutes of this. I really couldn't tell the difference between it and the Toby Mcguire version).

This looks fab though.

Atty
April 16th, 2013, 11:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xb30cXDJKRg

I was sold before I saw anything, but this just looks fantastic. Between the Zod teaser the other day (indicating he came to Earth to find Kal-El) and what this one showed, the film is really taking shape. LOVE Costner's Pa Kent being the one to reveal who he is to him. Love it. I adored holo-Brando in the original and the Donner Cut, but it could make the story all the better to show him having to find the answers throughout the film.

Lois interviewing him while he's in (presumably) voluntary detention is a great touch. Also liked the hint that, as a reporter, she had been searching for this man who's been reported to do amazing things all over the world.

I'm going from "this could be really good" to "this could be fantastic" very quickly.

Mik
April 17th, 2013, 5:32 AM
Looks remarkably un Snyder-like...which is a good thing.

WizoOzz
April 17th, 2013, 7:02 AM
I'm optimistic but am not really looking forward to it.

As great as the Batman flicks were (even though I haven't seen the latest one) for someone like me who doesn't even like Batman, I'm afraid that the Superman that I think should be represented isn't going to be. I know that DC has this whole new take on the character, and I honestly am not fond of it. I'm assuming that's the character they're going to be portraying, and I'm afraid that's not Superman.

I still don't like the costume. I'm not saying that it needs to be red undies faithful, but I just don't like it. My opinion - too dark, and too alien. I know Supes is alien, but he was raised by earth parents with the morality of a good Mid-West kid. Someone who has the ability to rule the world, but makes the conscious decision to help humanity rather than rule it. Not necessarily alienated by it. More like a watcher over it. I'm afraid that's not what I'm going to get. And I'm afraid that I'm not going to like what I *do* get.

I've made the decision not to blow huge amounts of money to see it in the theater and wait to rent it on DVD. Because at times I see the trailers and photos and other things and I think it may be better than what I'm expecting, and then I look at other stuff that infuriates me. I know we have to dummy down the characters for people who have never seen the original movies or never picked up a comic book. I'm just afraid that the dumbing down and reimagining isn't going to be to what I, and I'm sure several other Superman faithful, enjoy about the character.

mr sabu
April 17th, 2013, 7:36 AM
ill enjoy any movie where Russel crowe dies

Beer-Belly
April 17th, 2013, 8:27 AM
I'm optimistic but am not really looking forward to it.

As great as the Batman flicks were (even though I haven't seen the latest one) for someone like me who doesn't even like Batman, I'm afraid that the Superman that I think should be represented isn't going to be. I know that DC has this whole new take on the character, and I honestly am not fond of it. I'm assuming that's the character they're going to be portraying, and I'm afraid that's not Superman.

I still don't like the costume. I'm not saying that it needs to be red undies faithful, but I just don't like it. My opinion - too dark, and too alien. I know Supes is alien, but he was raised by earth parents with the morality of a good Mid-West kid. Someone who has the ability to rule the world, but makes the conscious decision to help humanity rather than rule it. Not necessarily alienated by it. More like a watcher over it. I'm afraid that's not what I'm going to get. And I'm afraid that I'm not going to like what I *do* get.

I've made the decision not to blow huge amounts of money to see it in the theater and wait to rent it on DVD. Because at times I see the trailers and photos and other things and I think it may be better than what I'm expecting, and then I look at other stuff that infuriates me. I know we have to dummy down the characters for people who have never seen the original movies or never picked up a comic book. I'm just afraid that the dumbing down and reimagining isn't going to be to what I, and I'm sure several other Superman faithful, enjoy about the character.
:wtf:

Nothing in that trailer indicates that the movie will present Superman as a ruler. It doesn't look that dark either.

Atty
April 17th, 2013, 8:46 AM
I still don't like the costume. I'm not saying that it needs to be red undies faithful, but I just don't like it. My opinion - too dark, and too alien. I know Supes is alien, but he was raised by earth parents with the morality of a good Mid-West kid.

Yeah, he was raised on Earth, but his suit has always been from Krypton. It was in the ship that brought him to Earth. Takes some getting used to, but it looks much better in the trailer than stills, which is a good thing. I like that the texture isn't just that of normal cloth. Krypton wouldn't have had the same fabric as the GAP.

Beer-Belly
April 17th, 2013, 8:54 AM
I liked that they borrowed Jor-El's parting lines to Kal-El from Grant Morrison's All Star Superman. Shit's dope.

WizoOzz
April 17th, 2013, 2:12 PM
:wtf:

Nothing in that trailer indicates that the movie will present Superman as a ruler. It doesn't look that dark either.

What I mean is that he has the power that he could, if he wanted to, rule our planet, but given his background and being raised by humans, he wouldn't ever choose to go that direction - not that he will rule the planet in any form.

The current iteration is one that more or less (from what I understand) has a more alienated, isolated tone to it, rather than a warm, embracing character. I'm afraid that alienated, cold and isolated is what we're going to be getting.

Sorry if I was being unclear.

Beer-Belly
April 17th, 2013, 2:18 PM
But it's pretty clear that this movie is about Superman being a positive force.

Cewsh
April 17th, 2013, 2:22 PM
Wiz, it sounds like your perception of the ideal Superman is the Christopher Reeve era one. Would that be true?

VHS
April 17th, 2013, 2:30 PM
I liked that they borrowed Jor-El's parting lines to Kal-El from Grant Morrison's All Star Superman. Shit's dope.

Jor-El's farewell to his son always tears me up, especially Brando's version. "You will travel far..." :yes:

Morrison
April 17th, 2013, 10:28 PM
What I mean is that he has the power that he could, if he wanted to, rule our planet, but given his background and being raised by humans, he wouldn't ever choose to go that direction - not that he will rule the planet in any form.

The current iteration is one that more or less (from what I understand) has a more alienated, isolated tone to it, rather than a warm, embracing character. I'm afraid that alienated, cold and isolated is what we're going to be getting.

Sorry if I was being unclear.

each trailer has presented the take as clark having to come to terms with kal and embracing the responsibility that his alien powers give him. by all indications, they're going to tell the story of how the people of earth accepted this man and how he accepted himself as their guardian and beacon.

WizoOzz
April 22nd, 2013, 12:20 PM
Cewsh, it's not that I necessarily look at Christopher Reeves' portrayal as being the epitome of the character on screen, I view the Silver Age pluckiness and "blue boy scout" as the essence of the character. Yes, there are the roots of the fight for the down trodden that are there, but that evolved into the ultimate do-gooder because ultimately, humankind is all downtrodden in comparison to this behemoth of a humanoid. It's less a Christopher Reeves thing, and more an All Star Superman thing. That is the character, boiled down to basics, that I know as Superman.

And Morrison, that may be the case. I just don't like the tone of what I've seen of the film so far, It probably is just me doing what I do - judging the film as a whole on the few previews and images that I've seen. Unlike the Green Lantern movie, which just looked dreadful so I decided it in my best interest to avoid it so that my brain wouldn't explode, I will still see this because it looks good - it just doesn't look like what I think a Superman film should look like. Just my opinion, and I may be off base on it.

Fanny
April 22nd, 2013, 5:42 PM
I don't think it looks like what a Superman film 'should look like' in as much as The Nolan Trilogy mightn't have been what I thought a batman set of films 'should look like'. I like the idea of this being a film about what it would actually be like if an alien was outed as living among us on Earth and, really, I think it's the very best direction they could have gone in. Zod's Bane mask looks fucking badass, incidentally.

Fanny
April 22nd, 2013, 5:44 PM
Also, here I go with a fully-expecting-to-be-utterly-pilloried statement - The original Donner Superman film was by no means as fucking tremendous as everyone makes it out to be. While I liked/verging on loved it, I'm still to be presented with an adaptation of the character and the story that I'm head over heels with.

Atty
April 25th, 2013, 10:53 PM
Also, here I go with a fully-expecting-to-be-utterly-pilloried statement - The original Donner Superman film was by no means as fucking tremendous as everyone makes it out to be. While I liked/verging on loved it, I'm still to be presented with an adaptation of the character and the story that I'm head over heels with.

The original film is one of my ten favorite films ever but, in looking back at it, it's important to understand that there was nothing similar when it came out. There was no massive comic book film industry. It was the first.

Defrost
April 25th, 2013, 11:31 PM
Plus the Salkinds kinda fucked the movie over

Atty
April 25th, 2013, 11:44 PM
Those smelly Hungarians...

...It's still brilliant, though.

Bill Casey
April 26th, 2013, 12:36 AM
http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/868/lexcorp.jpg

lotjx
April 26th, 2013, 9:32 AM
Plus the Salkinds kinda fucked the movie over

Firing Donner was one of their best moves. His cut is utter shit. The other big move was the casting.

Atty
April 26th, 2013, 10:39 AM
We saw what the Salkinds wanted with Superman 3. It's the one that they and Lester, who finished Superman II but had to follow what Donner had in place, made completely on their own.

I really don't understand how you can be so harsh on the Donner Cut. It's something he did for fans, who had asked for his version for about twenty-five years, to give them an idea as to what it would have looked like had he made his version of 1 and 2. That's why they reshow the end of 1 without turning the world back, at the start of 2. The fact that he never finished filming and several of the stars were dead, making reshoots impossible, just makes people look like complete sods when they bitch about it using screen tests or what have you.

virms
April 28th, 2013, 8:51 PM
So apparently Man of Steel and Walmart have teamed up to assure you entrance to a special showing the day before the movie hits. Starting May 18th you will be able to buy tickets (up to 4) and see Man of Steel the day before its big release

Fucking walmart.

Atty
April 28th, 2013, 8:56 PM
More details needed. Need to see. Now.

virms
April 28th, 2013, 9:06 PM
I am seeing this in imax 3d. I plan on taking a vacation back home just for this.

Bill Casey
May 1st, 2013, 5:29 PM
Cewsh, it's not that I necessarily look at Christopher Reeves' portrayal as being the epitome of the character on screen, I view the Silver Age pluckiness and "blue boy scout" as the essence of the character. Yes, there are the roots of the fight for the down trodden that are there, but that evolved into the ultimate do-gooder because ultimately, humankind is all downtrodden in comparison to this behemoth of a humanoid. It's less a Christopher Reeves thing, and more an All Star Superman thing. That is the character, boiled down to basics, that I know as Superman.

And Morrison, that may be the case. I just don't like the tone of what I've seen of the film so far, It probably is just me doing what I do - judging the film as a whole on the few previews and images that I've seen. Unlike the Green Lantern movie, which just looked dreadful so I decided it in my best interest to avoid it so that my brain wouldn't explode, I will still see this because it looks good - it just doesn't look like what I think a Superman film should look like. Just my opinion, and I may be off base on it.

"You will give the people of earth an ideal to strive towards. They'll raise behind you. They'll stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=T6DJcgm3wNY#t=95s

Bill Casey
May 5th, 2013, 9:11 PM
Please be wrong, rumor...

http://io9.com/the-man-of-steel-rumor-that-would-change-superman-for-t-487577190

The Man of Steel rumor that would change Superman for the worse

There’s been an unsettling rumor floating around about Man of Steel. If true, it would mark a pretty major change to the Superman mythos, and one that we can’t at all agree with. Consider this your spoiler warning for something that might be.

Last chance before spoilers!

Okay then...

Krypton lives.

Supposedly in Man of Steel, Superman’s home planet of Krypton does not explode. At all. Baby Kal-El is shot into outer space, either because he’s special and thus considered dangerous by other Kryptonians. Rumor has it, Kal-El is the only Kryptonian who wasn't genetically engineered to be a soldier or scientist, and instead was just born naturally, making him an abomination on Krypton. Also, there may have been a Kryptonian civil war. But when Zod comes to Earth, part of his plan is to bring Kal-El back to Krypton.

Some confirmation of this comes via Entertainment Weekly, which writes in its recent summer preview:

That's what pits him against General Zod (Boardwalk Empire's Michael Shannon), a Kryptonian tyrant who wants Clark to join him back on Krypton, which would mean abandoning his post as defender of the weaklings of Earth.

(Thanks to eagle-eyed reader Matt for spotting this.)

If true, this would be a major, major change not just to Superman’s origin, but to his actual character. This change alters him in a lot of major ways — and none of them, I would argue, are actually improvements.

By leaving Krypton intact, Superman loses the primary source of his pathos (actually, maybe the only source, as he’s generally a pretty upbeat character by his nature). Superman is an immigrant, one whose past and people are lost to him by a terrible tragedy. It’s a powerful backstory that loses much of its impact when he could theoretically go back home any time he wants to.

Furthermore, it strips Superman of his uniqueness. DC learnd the hard way that just adding Superboy, Supergirl, Krypto and the rest of the Super-extended family in the comics made Superman less special, which is why they got rid of all of them in Crisis on Infinite Earths. They slowly brought them back again, as comics invariably do, but the housecleaning was still a good idea.

And now there’s a whole planet of potential Supermen out there. Maybe this opens up storytelling possibilities in the future, but I think it costs Superman a lot more than it could potentially add. And it complicates him in ways that the character just doesn’t need.

I have to assume that at the end of the movie, Superman chooses to stay on Earth to protect it, because it’s his new home, etc., but there’s only two possibilities here: Either Krypton doesn’t need Superman, and thus not going home isn’t really that impressive because he’s simply not leaving the home he’s always known, or Krypton is in some sort of peril and does need him, and Superman chooses Earth over Krypton which kind of makes him a jerk.

Sure, it’s kind of powerful in that Superman has chosen his adopted home over his real home, but it degrades Superman in that his character is all about not making those tough choices — he always finds a way to help everybody.

Save the troubled moral dilemmas for some other superhero, because Superman is supposed to inspire us to be the best, and choosing sides — even if its “us” instead of “them” — isn’t compatible with that.

What bugs me most of all is that it seems to be a change solely for change’s sake. With no real benefit, this major alteration to Superman’s canon — as established for the last 75 years or so — seems to be solely so Warner Bros. can say “It’s an all-new Superman!” or some such, failing to realize Superman has worked pretty goddamn well for a long goddamn time.

If Superman has failed in the past, it’s because someone else didn’t understand the character, or understand what audiences wanted out of Superman (cough Superman Returns cough), and there has never, ever, ever been a point where anyone has ever said, “You know what would make Superman more interesting to me? If his home planet didn’t blow up.”
Proof That Superman Lives Would Have Made Batman & Robin Look Like The Dark Knight
We all know that we were once very close to getting a Superman movie directed by Tim Burton and… Read…

Look, I’m not going to pretend this is the biggest deal in the world, or the most egregious change they could have made (feel free to check out the Superman Lives script here to see how someone can get Superman wrong on just about every conceivable level). But it’s maddening to see even when WB actually seems close to getting another DC movie right, they change shit for no apparent reason.

Different is not always better. Of course, different is not always worse, either. But when you have a character that has been around for 75 years, is one of the most recognized characters in the entire world, and is the greatest superhero of all time, maybe making random changes to his origin isn’t strictly necessary.

But maybe I’m just biased. After all, I’m still upset that they took away his underpants.

Atty
May 5th, 2013, 9:28 PM
Hmm...

I know they are doing the genetically bred angle, with Kal-El as the only purebred, but Krypton not being destroyed would be odd. That said, it not being destroyed wouldn't mean it wouldn't be destroyed. That could actually make for a great story, where he fails to save his homeworld. Or it they ran with Zod's forces winning and the planet being ravaged, it could work well. It would also get rid of Kryptonite, which isn't a bad thing.

But I hope this isn't true. Or if, by Krypton, they mean New Krypton or whatever Zod established. Hell, it could even be a lie from some other foe, one who is Zod's superior (Darkseid, Brainiac), to set up the sequel.

virms
May 6th, 2013, 12:08 AM
I wouldn't mind Zod being the one who destroys Krypton and finds out thru his war about Kal-El. After that he just wants to destroy him.

Atty
May 6th, 2013, 12:16 AM
That's kind of what I have been thinking from previews and since reading the article in Entertainment Weekly a few times. Bought in the airport a few weeks ago and went through it on both legs of the flight.

Nitram
May 10th, 2013, 4:30 PM
http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/176831-watch-the-new-uk-tv-spot-for-man-of-steel

Beer-Belly
May 22nd, 2013, 12:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlOF03DUoWc

HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

mth
May 22nd, 2013, 10:16 AM
Wow. That is one hell of a trailer. Sign me up and sign me up HARD.

Jimmy Zero
May 22nd, 2013, 10:20 AM
I've never ever been excited for something Superman related, but that looks fucking fantastic. I can't wait to see this.

Matty C
May 22nd, 2013, 12:05 PM
X2 Jimmy.

WizoOzz
May 22nd, 2013, 1:38 PM
I still hate how dark the costume is, and think it's indicative of a grim/dark interpretation of the character. But the trailers are starting to turn me around on seeing it the weekend it comes out, simply for curiosity's sake. It looks like a good movie, just not like the Superman flick I would make if given the chance - or maybe just not the interpretation of the character that I think should be used.

I am, however, slightly antsy (and, like I said before, optimistic while still pensive) to see the movie.

Fanny
May 22nd, 2013, 4:55 PM
I think that just about covers all the bases

VHS
May 22nd, 2013, 5:28 PM
I cannot watch that trailer. I just cannot. I'm seeing this bad boy no matter what, I just cannot see anymore footage! :hyper:

Beer-Belly
May 22nd, 2013, 7:44 PM
I still hate how dark the costume is, and think it's indicative of a grim/dark interpretation of the character. But the trailers are starting to turn me around on seeing it the weekend it comes out, simply for curiosity's sake. It looks like a good movie, just not like the Superman flick I would make if given the chance - or maybe just not the interpretation of the character that I think should be used.

I am, however, slightly antsy (and, like I said before, optimistic while still pensive) to see the movie.

Early buzz indicates that it's serious but not necessarily grim or dark.

You seem to want a live action version of the Max Fleischer cartoon. Those cartoons are one of my favorite interpretations of Superman, but I'm not sure that take could sustain itself over a two hour plus movie.

Atty
May 23rd, 2013, 11:32 AM
Early buzz indicates that it's serious but not necessarily grim or dark.

You seem to want a live action version of the Max Fleischer cartoon. Those cartoons are one of my favorite interpretations of Superman, but I'm not sure that take could sustain itself over a two hour plus movie.

Let alone a series of movies that will now be linking into Bale's Batman in some form for team up movies, as well as future Superman solo outings.

Beer-Belly
May 24th, 2013, 6:11 AM
I'm pretty sure Nolan nixed the idea of having the Bale Batman return for a team up or Justice League movie. I'm kind of relieved, honestly. I thought that the trilogy ended perfectly and it was a financial and critical success regardless of any internet backlash.

WizoOzz
May 24th, 2013, 6:46 AM
Beer-Belly, its not that I'm necessarily looking for a specific version that's been done before - it's more that I believe there are certain core traits that Superman has that I'm afraid aren't going to be portrayed due to them being cheesy.

But the movie, as a summer flick and not so much as a representation of the character, at least looks entertaining (opposite of Green Lantern which I refuse to watch based on my thinking Ryan Reynolds was a bad choice for Hal, and everything I saw just looked terrible from the trailers). And I'm also smart enough to realize how vital the character is to DC and even Time Warner in general.

I am looking forward to it, just hope that Supes doesn't get lost from the badassery that looks like Zod will have and the action throughout.

Jimmy Zero
May 24th, 2013, 9:38 AM
I'm just glad Lex Luthor isn't the villain.

Beer-Belly
May 24th, 2013, 9:46 AM
Lex Luthor can awesome depending the interpretation of the character. They were right to not use the character in this film, though. He'll certainly be in one of the sequels considering there are LexCorp buildings in the trailers.

OD50
May 24th, 2013, 9:57 AM
Man, I've never really been a fan of Superman.. Not the comics, not the old Christopher Reeve flicks, didn't see the last one (Smallville was kind of fun though as was Lois & Clark in a cheesy way), but these Man of Steel trailers are pretty damn badass. I guess I will be catching this one. :yes:

Jimmy Zero
May 24th, 2013, 10:00 AM
Lex Luthor can awesome depending the interpretation of the character. They were right to not use the character in this film, though. He'll certainly be in one of the sequels considering there are LexCorp buildings in the trailers.

I don't have a problem with Lex as a character, but him as the villain in the movies has been done to death. Besides, it'll be good to see Superman in a live action full bore slug fest, for once.

Chris
May 24th, 2013, 4:44 PM
I'm just glad Lex Luthor isn't the villain.
Fully agreed. The idea of Zod coming to Earth to find Kal-El is a nice angle. I liked Kevin Spacey's take on Luthor (in fact, I really liked Superman Retuns despite its problems) but the character has been done to death in the movies.

The new trailer is great, and I'm really excited for the film. My only concern (besides the fact that the suit is too dark, but I'll get used to it) is how the CGI holds up. CGI characters battering each other was a big weakness of the Spiderman and Matrix films, as sometimes the quality was really ropey and it takes you out of the moment. Here's hoping there's plenty of flesh-and-blood fisticuffs in between the big effects.

Bill Casey
May 24th, 2013, 8:16 PM
Luthor should be used as a political enemy. He should be doing the rounds on television speaking out against the Man of Steel...
When Zod makes his ultimatum, Luthor should be the first one saying Superman should turn himself in...

Atty
May 24th, 2013, 8:51 PM
And in this day and age where politicians are scared shitless of terrorism, what politician wouldn't mistrust an illegal alien who can fly around and has near limitless power.

Bill Casey
May 25th, 2013, 5:54 PM
Or corporate magnate...
Warren Buffett, T Boone Pickens and Donald Trump come to mind as businessmen who get vocal on political issues...

Defrost
May 25th, 2013, 7:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXOqXVSRZrQ

StoneColdWWE316
May 25th, 2013, 8:28 PM
Man Of Steel looks like it will be good. I liked the last Superman and was surprised they didn't follow it up. Im glad Zod is in the New one.

PurePlayer
May 27th, 2013, 6:36 PM
Pumped up for this movie. I enjoyed all the Superman movies, and felt this needed a reboot rather than a continuation of Superman Returns. Hopefully the success of this film leads to another and a possible Justice League film.

StoneColdWWE316
May 27th, 2013, 6:55 PM
Does anyone know if Russell Crowe as Jor-El has a larger role? It looks like he might but its hard to tell from the Previews.

G-Fresh
May 27th, 2013, 7:40 PM
I reckon I'll watch this even though I ain't the biggest Superman fanboy.

WizoOzz
May 28th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Not directly related to MOS, but I finally purchased Superman II: The Richard Donner cut, and must say that I personally felt it to be a better film than the actual theatrical version. It felt like a much more fluid movie, and some of the cheesier aspects were gone. Anyone who hasn't seen it and likes the original Supes franchise should definitely give it a look.

Beer-Belly
May 28th, 2013, 6:45 PM
Obviously the Donner cut is better. The theatrical cut is shit awful. A super mega alien brawl is tearing apart Metropolis and Richard Lester puts a herp derp "my ice cream fell!" joke in the middle of it.

lotjx
May 28th, 2013, 6:53 PM
Lois pulls a gun on Clark, anti-climatic fight and no "General Zod, would you care to step aside." The biggest lie on the internet is Donner's cut is better than the theatrical.

Beer-Belly
May 28th, 2013, 7:20 PM
Neither cut is what I would call good, but at least the Donner cut gets rid of the shitty jokes.

lotjx
May 28th, 2013, 7:56 PM
Yes, a no fun Superman is what the world needs. The theatrical cut is great.

Jimmy Zero
May 28th, 2013, 8:16 PM
Why am I not surprised that lotjx thinks Superman 2 is great.

Beer-Belly
May 28th, 2013, 8:28 PM
Yes, a no fun Superman is what the world needs. The theatrical cut is great.

He can still be fun without awful jokes that undercut the action in the movie. Jesus Christ.

McBain
May 28th, 2013, 8:41 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, comic book fans, but isn't it a bit strange to have flying spaceships, ray guns and whatnot in a Superman film?

Beer-Belly
May 28th, 2013, 8:57 PM
It's pretty par for the course in the comics.

Atty
May 28th, 2013, 9:12 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, comic book fans, but isn't it a bit strange to have flying spaceships, ray guns and whatnot in a Superman film?

It happens a fair bit, but is that one thing they've never pulled the trigger on in movies until now. Brainiac, Darkseid and numerous other foes rely on opening up the door to let alien stuff in. For whatever reasons (production costs likely) the movies have avoided having aliens in a movie about an alien.

McBain
May 28th, 2013, 10:09 PM
Good to know. Colour me officially pumped for this film now. :yes:

Bill Casey
May 30th, 2013, 4:36 AM
Some of the most bizarre marketing I've ever seen...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-u1680Anhw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKxMLFh6hcE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tF62U45ZA8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8wYUONEygk

Mik
May 30th, 2013, 6:28 AM
Well considering its sponsored by Gillette, I'd have to imagine thy the answer involves 'using Gillette product placement' at some point.

Jimmy Zero
May 30th, 2013, 9:56 AM
Blossom is looking good.

mth
May 30th, 2013, 10:34 AM
I like. Soon as I saw the beard in the trailers, I was pondering the question.

Atty
May 30th, 2013, 12:19 PM
They should release a green razor, claiming it's a Kryptonite razor.

lotjx
May 30th, 2013, 1:12 PM
They should release a green razor, claiming it's a Kryptonite razor.

That would kill him.

Atty
May 30th, 2013, 1:59 PM
Not if he put it in a lead-lined case when done. Duh.

Chris
May 30th, 2013, 2:08 PM
It could be a magical green razor instead.

lotjx
May 30th, 2013, 2:09 PM
Once its out of its case, it will kill him. Duh.

Jimmy Zero
May 30th, 2013, 5:39 PM
You must be a real blast at parties.

Atty
May 30th, 2013, 6:04 PM
Once its out of its case, it will kill him. Duh.

You mean like that giant continent made of kryptonite that he lifted into space all the while having kryptonite lodged in his side?

Beer-Belly
May 30th, 2013, 6:15 PM
Kryptonite basically just gave him vertigo or a form of nausea in that movie.

What a bore that movie was.

Jimmy Zero
May 30th, 2013, 6:18 PM
For what it was (basically an homage(retread) to the Donner Superman), it was alright, but it should have been so much more.

Beer-Belly
May 30th, 2013, 6:28 PM
The airplane sequence was great, but other than that there's not much to it. Kate Bosworth's Lois Lane is one of least interesting characters ever. Superman was head over heels for the most boring broad on the planet.

lotjx
May 30th, 2013, 8:51 PM
You mean like that giant continent made of kryptonite that he lifted into space all the while having kryptonite lodged in his side?

I am sorry what is this Superman Returns you speak of?

Bill Casey
May 31st, 2013, 12:28 AM
Superman doesn't shave...
Batman steals his beards and makes suits out of them...

Alf
June 3rd, 2013, 11:12 AM
Swweeeeet, I'm going to a preview screening on the 13th now through work. YUS.

LOCONUT
June 3rd, 2013, 11:22 AM
A buddy of mine just gave me a screener of this. It was amazing. Brandon Routh lives up to the hype.

virms
June 3rd, 2013, 12:10 PM
I wish you had a screener ffs. I want to see this.

The Rick
June 4th, 2013, 9:26 PM
ign has an article on the best Superman books. Here is a link (http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/05/top-25-superman-stories)

25 at the top #1 at the bottom.
Brainiac
The Mighty One
The Curse of Superman
Speeding Bullets
Last Son
On Our Special Day
Superman Beyond
Man of Steel
22 Stories in a Single Bound
Secret Origin
The Mightiest Team on Earth
Must There Be a Superman?
The Race Between Superman and Flash
The Origin of Superman
Up, Up, and Away
It's a Bird...
The Death and Return of Superman
For All Seasons
Birthright
What’s So Funny About Truth, Justice, and the American Way?
Kingdom Come
Secret Identity
Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?
For the Man Who Has Everything
All-Star Superman

Alf
June 7th, 2013, 5:25 AM
I'm going to the London premiere. YES!

MikeHunt
June 7th, 2013, 6:41 AM
I'm disgustingly jealous of you right now.

Beer-Belly
June 7th, 2013, 11:56 AM
I'm going to the London premiere. YES!

How did you manage that?

virms
June 7th, 2013, 11:57 AM
Executive cock to alf mouth.

Alf is a lucky fucker. Will probably pull Amy Adams to boot.

Alf
June 7th, 2013, 6:59 PM
I will try. My mate won tickes an he is lovely and invited me

Chris
June 11th, 2013, 2:20 AM
So this got 4 stars in Empire.

http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/reviewcomplete.asp?FID=137126

The biggest theme throughout the review is how seriously the film takes itself, even moreso than the Dark Knight films. I'm glad that we won't have the same depiction of Clark Kent as we've seen before from Reeves and Routh. But it'll be interesting to see whether Superman - a character that, on paper, isn't as interesting as a Batman or some of the Marvel lads - will benefit from such an apparently straight approach. Still, the scale of the film sounds impressive. With all the trailers and TV spots, I feel like I've seen most of the film already.

Mik
June 11th, 2013, 5:37 AM
Very surprised to see it not get a 5 star review from Empire, which seems to give every big film they are likely to be getting exclusive content from 5 stars.

I need to make an admission. When Michael Shannon was cast in this film, I baulked at the fact that he was just a 'TV actor'. However, after seeing Take Shelter, Revolutionary Road, Mud, The Iceman and a few others whose names escape me at the moment, I can absolutely admit how wrong I was.