PDA

View Full Version : Dredd (2012)

Delta Devil
June 21st, 2012, 2:16 PM
At first I was nervous after seeing Karl Urban in the costume, but this trailer has sold me. Based on what they show us in this trailer, I love -LOVE- the look of this. The saturated colors give it an awesome appearance, and I'd like to know what this was filmed on because it looks different from what we normally see.

And Karl seems to do a pretty decent job, even through the stereotypically low/raspy voice. Still, this has me interested.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/06/21/dredd-trailer?

UncannyIowan
June 21st, 2012, 2:51 PM
Minus Rob Schneider the Sly Stallone one was not that bad. I liked the concept, this one will be tight as well.

Hlebsfall
June 21st, 2012, 3:15 PM
Dunno, that looks pretty shit to me. Just looks like a fairly generic action movie they've dumped Judge Dredd into the middle of. I bloody love the Stallone version.

Rip
June 21st, 2012, 3:20 PM
I read 2000AD every week for around 10 years, sorry that looks pish.

mth
June 21st, 2012, 5:01 PM
Wow, that voice is about as cliched as you can get. Really, that whole trailer seems to be not far behind. Looks crap.

Jacknife
June 21st, 2012, 5:12 PM
I'm dredding this.

Guy
June 21st, 2012, 5:12 PM
I looks like it will turn out all Punisher: War Zone-like.

Jimmy Zero
June 21st, 2012, 5:41 PM
You say that like it's a bad thing. I love Punisher: War Zone.

Guy
June 21st, 2012, 6:00 PM
It is a bad thing. Punisher: War Zone is awful.

So much bloody neon, and the bad guys in that film were beyond cartoons, massively grating.

Stevenson was good though.

Jimmy Zero
June 21st, 2012, 7:00 PM
Are you a Punisher comic book fan? I've got some friends who are serious devotees to the Punisher character, and they hated War Zone.

I've never really gotten too into the Punisher comics, and I thought War Zone was just good mindless violent fun. I have no idea whether it was faithful to the Punisher character, or his world as established in the comic.

You've got to admit, it was better than the Punisher with John Travolta.

Guy
June 21st, 2012, 7:05 PM
I've read a bit of Punisher stuff, it's never really grabbed me enough to care whether it stuck to any particular continuity or anything though.

I dunno, after it had finished I felt like I'd just watched an uber-violent Joel Schumacher Punisher movie. And yea the Thomas Jane Punisher was pretty bad. Have yet to check out the Dolph Lundgren version, probably will do at some point.

The PS2 Punisher game that came out about the same time as the Thomas Jane movie was great though.

Jimmy Zero
June 21st, 2012, 7:22 PM
Whoa, back it up. There's a Dolph Punisher movie? I must see this.

Dubya
June 21st, 2012, 7:28 PM
Yeah.. that really didn't do it for me at all.

I didn't mind the Stallone version.. it was kinda lame, but it was a 90's action movie.. I won't hold that against it.

Guy
June 21st, 2012, 8:03 PM
Whoa, back it up. There's a Dolph Punisher movie? I must see this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6je37OVNeIk

Jimmy Zero
June 21st, 2012, 8:30 PM
Holy fuck, that is awesome.

Guy
June 22nd, 2012, 5:32 PM
I heard that Marvel Studios got the rights back for both Punisher AND Blade. So it'll be interesting to see if they can ever produce a good movie out of it, considering their decent track record.

Beer-Belly
June 22nd, 2012, 5:38 PM
I had no idea that Louis Gossett Jr. was in that Punisher movie.

Guy
June 26th, 2012, 4:19 PM
I literally just got finished watching it after this brief conversation.

It was laughably bad. Like everyone involved wanted to make a serious Punisher movie, but nobody involved had any idea how to make an actual film. Also watching Dolph pretending to shoot weapons with obviously NO experience beyond watching other terrible 80's action movies, was genuinely hilarious.

I suggest watching it, there is some entertainment to be had from it, but then there's massive lapse in logic, Austin Power stlye kung fu chops to the neck, and a woman that throws ninja star earrings.

Seanny One Ball
June 26th, 2012, 9:46 PM
I quite liked that Dredd trailer lads, you might be jumping to some hasty conclusions Hlebs, Rip, mth.

At least Karl Urban looks badass and there will be plenty of gunfire and chop busting.

Alf
November 23rd, 2012, 11:17 AM
Lads, lads, lads. Has anyone watched this yet?

I really bloody liked it. They went with a very interesting angle (clearly nicked a bit from The Raid), and it worked out really well for Dredd. The art style was less stylised than the comics and that was a smart move.

Urban wasn't quite as intimidating and gruff as Dredd should be but I think he did a good job.

It's fucking gory though, with the shocking thing being the violence is realistic.

The slow-mo drug effects were incredible.

So yeah. loved it.

The Rogerer
November 23rd, 2012, 11:28 AM
I really enjoyed it. A shame it didn't perform very well, but I'll probably be buying a home version.

This thread has just reminded me that among my comic book friends in the 90s there was a rumour that there was another Punisher film starring Nick Berry :lol:

Guy
November 23rd, 2012, 11:32 AM
It's a fantastic high concept B-movie.

And The Raid was made at a similar time to this movie, it's just a bit of a mad coincidence.

I hope DVD/Blu Ray sales are good enough to warrant a bigger scale sequel and expanding of the universe.

Mik
November 23rd, 2012, 4:07 PM
Yeah, by all accounts the pre-vizualisation and pre-production for the film was being done before they knew anything about The Raid.

Jimmy Zero
January 24th, 2013, 11:02 AM
I'm bumping this thread because this movie is fucking awesome.

I recently bought the bluray on the recommendation of pretty much everyone I know. They were all correct. Dredd was an absolutely excellent action movie. There was nothing I didn't like about it. It's everything that the Stallone iteration wasn't. This is a brutal violent movie that doesn't have a lame ass origin story, doesn't have a stupid "save the world" plot and doesn't have some weird twist to personalize the Dredd/Mama conflict. It's what I wish more superhero/comic book movies were like, especially with a lone wolf type character like Dredd. A day in the life of our hero. Not every comic book movie needs a damn origin story, or a sappy love story to "soften" the stoic loner. This is one of the best post-apocalyptic movies we've gotten in a long long time.

I thought it was beautifully shot and the action sequences were extremely well done. There was a fair amount of violence and gore, but at no point did I feel like it was over the top, or shock value for the sake of shock value type of violence. Everything made sense within the context of the film. I also really enjoyed the slo-mo camera stuff, for a change. The dynamic between Dredd and his rookie was also refreshing. No side long glances or sexual tension. Just throw the bitch to the wolves and see what she can do. I loved that.

Apparently, in spite of the absolutely horrible marketing around this film, DVD and bluray sales have been incredibly strong. Even though I'm not holding my breath for it, I'd really love to see a sequel to Dredd.

Beer-Belly
January 24th, 2013, 11:32 AM
A worthy bump. The movie succeeds mostly because Alex Garland knows how to write the character. I'm not so sure other superhero movies would work well this approach, though. Judge Dredd is unique and obscure enough (in the States at least) that you can take certain chances that other characters wouldn't be afforded.

JP
January 24th, 2013, 1:33 PM
Saw this at the cinema, wasn't expecting much and was completely blown away by how good it was.

Chris
January 24th, 2013, 1:45 PM
I got this on Blu-ray and watched it the other night. Very, very impressive. The smaller focus was the real strength of the film - just another day in the office for Dredd.

I avoided this at the cinema because I couldn't find a 2D showing anywhere. I'm not a fan of limited 2D releases by principle. I want to be able to make the choice of which format I see a movie in.

It's a shame that there's currently limited prospects for a sequel - I'd love to see them delve into the socio-political landscape of Mega City One in a follow-up movie. There is a road-map for two more films, which would take Dredd to the Cursed Earth and then face-to-face with Judge Death in the third movie.

Mik
January 24th, 2013, 3:00 PM
I have a feeling that they may get a sequel out of this.

JP
January 24th, 2013, 3:27 PM
I seem to remember reading an interview with Garland in which he stated that he originally wrote a much longer film which was going to concentrate on the conflict between Judge Dredd and Judge Death but there wasn't the scope to create such a film at the time. Given Dredd's commercial and critical success, would suggest there's a decent chance that film may now get made.

JP
January 24th, 2013, 3:34 PM
I avoided this at the cinema because I couldn't find a 2D showing anywhere. I'm not a fan of limited 2D releases by principle. I want to be able to make the choice of which format I see a movie in.

Shame you didn't see the 3D version in the cinema mate, up until The Hobbit it was the clearest picture I've seen using the technology and it, for me at least, genuinely added to the experience. The scenes in slow-mo, especially Lena Headey in the bath.

Mik
January 24th, 2013, 3:46 PM
Unfortunately it wasn't a commercial success, which is the main stumbling block for a sequel. I think that it will overcome it though.

JP
January 24th, 2013, 3:54 PM
Unfortunately it wasn't a commercial success, which is the main stumbling block for a sequel. I think that it will overcome it though.

Yeah, just checked that, genuinely surprised.

I remember the tv spots mentioning it went in at number 1, so assumed it would have been successful elsewhere too, especially given it's quality.

Jimmy Zero
January 24th, 2013, 5:57 PM
A worthy bump. The movie succeeds mostly because Alex Garland knows how to write the character. I'm not so sure other superhero movies would work well this approach, though. Judge Dredd is unique and obscure enough (in the States at least) that you can take certain chances that other characters wouldn't be afforded.

I don't think the source material has to be unique or obscure in order for the director, or writer, to take certain chances with well known (or even iconic) characters. Take the Nolan Batman series, for instance. He didn't change the overall tone of the Batman universe established in the comics, really, but he wasn't particularly faithful to the canon either. It's when changes are made to aspects of a character that alter what makes them unique where issues tend to crop up. Some times those changes work brilliantly (in the case of Nolan Joker), and some times not so much (in the case of Nolan Bane, imo).

virms
January 24th, 2013, 6:05 PM
The scenes in slow-mo, especially Lena Headey in the bath.

I have just been convinced to watch this.

VHS
January 24th, 2013, 6:12 PM
Hearing about Dredd's success with DVD/BR sales makes me happy. I'm sure with all the post-release word of mouth, there is still a chance for a sequel since so many people are talking about it now.

Also... incendiary.

Guy
January 24th, 2013, 6:33 PM
Does it work as well without the 3D?

Beer-Belly
January 24th, 2013, 6:57 PM
I never saw it in 3D, but it's perfectly enjoyable in 2D.

Jimmy Zero
January 24th, 2013, 6:58 PM
I didn't see it in 3D and thought every thing still looked really cool. The slo mo scenes looked awesome.

Guy
January 24th, 2013, 7:02 PM
I may have to pick it up in that case. I did enjoy the utter bluntness of it, and the surreal splatterings.

VanillaJello
January 24th, 2013, 7:08 PM
Also want to add my love of Dredd.

Saw it in 2D, would have loved to seen what it looked like in 3D.

Beer-Belly
January 24th, 2013, 7:12 PM
I don't think the source material has to be unique or obscure in order for the director, or writer, to take certain chances with well known (or even iconic) characters. Take the Nolan Batman series, for instance. He didn't change the overall tone of the Batman universe established in the comics, really, but he wasn't particularly faithful to the canon either. It's when changes are made to aspects of a character that alter what makes them unique where issues tend to crop up. Some times those changes work brilliantly (in the case of Nolan Joker), and some times not so much (in the case of Nolan Bane, imo).

I thought the "hulking Che Guevara" take on Bane was an inspired interpretation of the character. The juiced up Bane of the comics is great, but it would've been jarring for him to show up in world that Nolan set up. Plus, I fucking love Tom Hardy.

To bring this around to Dredd, Karl Urban would make a dope Batman.

Jimmy Zero
January 24th, 2013, 7:23 PM
I thought the "hulking Che Guevara" take on Bane was an inspired interpretation of the character. The juiced up Bane of the comics is great, but it would've been jarring for him to show up in world that Nolan set up. Plus, I fucking love Tom Hardy.

The non-drugged up Bane didn't bother me, but the relegating of Bane to henchman status was awful. Bane was no one's henchman when he first showed up in the comics. He was shown to be Batman's intellectual equal and physical superior. I thought Nolan and Hardy's interpretation of Bane was genius up until the big reveal of the true villain. That reveal felt incredibly unnecessary and tacked on, to me.

Back to Dredd, does any one know if there was any particular reason why Dredd was so poorly marketed? At least in the States? I don't know what kind of media push it got in Europe, but I don't remember ever even seeing commercials on tv for it. It seems weird that a studio would green light a reboot to a franchise with as big a turd as the Stallone Judge Dredd to its name, and then do absolutely jack shit to promote it. Especially when the movie itself is damn good. Having fucking "3D" in the title probably didn't help.

Mik
January 24th, 2013, 7:31 PM
Its very difficult to explain WHY something was badly marketed. The marketing company just dropped the ball, the film was unlucky that it came out after The Raid, it had no big stars and the memory of the Stallone film was still relatively fresh in the mind of the target audience. They just didnt know how to sell the film, simple as that really.

Beer-Belly
January 24th, 2013, 7:52 PM
The non-drugged up Bane didn't bother me, but the relegating of Bane to henchman status was awful. Bane was no one's henchman when he first showed up in the comics. He was shown to be Batman's intellectual equal and physical superior. I thought Nolan and Hardy's interpretation of Bane was genius up until the big reveal of the true villain. That reveal felt incredibly unnecessary and tacked on, to me.

Back to Dredd, does any one know if there was any particular reason why Dredd was so poorly marketed? At least in the States? I don't know what kind of media push it got in Europe, but I don't remember ever even seeing commercials on tv for it. It seems weird that a studio would green light a reboot to a franchise with as big a turd as the Stallone Judge Dredd to its name, and then do absolutely jack shit to promote it. Especially when the movie itself is damn good. Having fucking "3D" in the title probably didn't help.

Bane was Talia's partner rather than her henchman. At least that's the way I interpreted it. Both served different roles in order to achieve a common goal. I thought the reveal of their relationship added a little depth to Bane just being a ruthless mercenary. In the comics Bane actually did serve with Ra's and was groomed to be his heir.

Titling Dredd as "DREDD 3D" made the movie seem cheap. There are a ton of shit movies with "3D" shoehorned into the title.

Morrison
January 25th, 2013, 1:10 AM
Titling Dredd as "DREDD 3D" made the movie seem cheap. There are a ton of shit movies with "3D" shoehorned into the title.

the remake of piranha that came out a couple years ago had 3d tacked on at the end and it not only was well received critically but also took in a pretty nice haul at the box office for it's budget, so people aren't necessarily against the 3d label.

Guy
January 25th, 2013, 3:23 AM
This film did have a severe lack of Kelly Brook titties though.

JP
May 17th, 2013, 8:38 AM
http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/dredd/25646/fresh-hope-for-dredd-2

Turns out the sequel might not be dead. :)

Chris
May 3rd, 2016, 3:22 PM
So at the Calgary Expo recently, Karl Urban said that "conversations are happening" about the possibility of Netflix or Amazon picking up Dredd for a TV series. There have been rumblings for a few years now about a follow-up, so it could all be pie in the sky. Given how Marvel's shows on Netflix are really taking off, and the continued interest in seeing more Dredd, it'd be nice to think that this could gain some momentum.

Last year, the screenwriter Alex Garland referred to Dredd as a failed movie and encouraged people not to drive up the sales of DVDs and Blu-rays as it wouldn't have any impact. He sounded totally deflated at how it all turned out. I'd be well up for a 10 or 13 episode return to Mega City One - they could keep it tightly focused on a single day like the movie or a mission spread out over a couple of days. Then go bigger for a second season if it was successful, however Netflix or Amazon judge success. It's nice to dream, especially when Ryan Reynolds managed to eventually drag Deadpool back into cinemas.

VHS
May 3rd, 2016, 3:36 PM
It's a shame how this movie never amounted to anything, mainly because it was easily my favorite film of 2012.

Hero!
May 3rd, 2016, 3:39 PM
I really enjoyed it. Why is it considered such a failure?

Morrison
May 3rd, 2016, 5:27 PM

production budget of $50 million and only managed a worldwide gross of $35 million. so financially, it absolutely tanked. it was critically well liked, but that didnt translate to people going out to the theater for it. reading back over the thread, it seems the marketing was terrible, though i dont remember anything of the marketing, which is probably part of the problem.

Nash Diesel
May 3rd, 2016, 5:37 PM
I'm sure it would be hard to make money on a movie that maybe people didn't realize wasn't a part 2 to the Stallone bullshit that came out 20+ years ago. The fact it made 35 mill worldwide is pretty damn good. Maybe 15 years ago it would've broke even or made money but with the internet and pirating, the cost of going to the movie, no big name, and again a pitiful version that came out in the 90's.....

Seanny One Ball
May 3rd, 2016, 9:45 PM

I consider it under The Waterworld Ratio and my conclusion is that DVD sales will be the saviour. Remember it was a movie nobody trusted from the get go. The trailer had people in uproar. Then it was the best action film of the 2010's until Raid 2: Berandal came out. Films above a certain budget will fail until the critics get in.