PDA

View Full Version : Saturday Night Live

Pages : [1] 2

Fro
June 16th, 2012, 3:05 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a5/Saturday_Night_Live_(Season_38_Titlecard).jpg

Rajah's Top 15 SNL Cast Members:

1. Will Ferrell
2. Chris Farley
3. Phil Hartman
4. Eddie Murphy
5. Bill Murray
6. Adam Sandler
7. John Belushi
8. Dan Aykroyd
9. Dana Carvey
10. Mike Myers
11. Norm Macdonald
12. Darrell Hammond
13. Gilda Radner
14. Chevy Chase
15. Jon Lovitz

Fro
June 16th, 2012, 3:06 PM
Farley or MacDonald would win.

You would think Farley would get the sympathy vote, but not over Belushi, who was better. Will Farrell, Chevy Chase, Eddie Murphy and Gilda.

Belushi was good, but Farley was better. Either way. SNL hasn't been worth watching since he died.

Dennis Miller would be my personal pick though.

I haven't watched an episode of SNL in easily 15 years.

1. Phil Hartman
2. Dana Carvey
3. John Belushi
4. Dan Ackroyd
5. Gilda Radnor
6. Bill Murray
7. Darryl Hammond
8. Chevy Chase
9. Eddie Murphy
10. Chris Farley

Chevy Chase was only on for a year, but was brilliant. I'd love to list Steve Martin as he's been on more than Chase, but I'm restraining myself. His 1970s stuff on SNL was brilliant. Kevin Neelen was damn near breaking the list due to his amazing stint on WE.

As Weekend Update host? Yes. Other than that, I don't remind any skits he was in. Samurai Cheeseburger > Guy down by the River.

Weekend Update with Dennis Miller and The Fake News with Norm were my shit.

Just posting this from the other thread.

Guy
June 16th, 2012, 3:34 PM
Well surely Bill Murray wins then.

Fro
June 16th, 2012, 3:52 PM
I don't think that's necessarily true, but he'll definitely be one of the favorites. He won't be in my top 3 even with the criteria I laid out.

My hesitation to do this strictly based on SNL performances is that most of us aren't old enough to have seen the old casts perform. I honestly can't speak to how good guys like Chevy or Billy Crystal or really anyone prior to the Adam Sandler age were on a weekly basis. Sure I've seen clips of the famous sketches but that's about it. But I have seen their movies - we all have. So I think it makes more sense to do it that way. Like I said though, you can come up with your list however you want. If you're someone who's been an SNL viewer for 30 years and want to do it just on the show, go for it.

I'd say a good rule of thumb is, if someone asked simply who your favorite SNL members are, without specifying anything further, who would come to mind first?

Jimmy Zero
June 16th, 2012, 4:25 PM
Joe Piscopo is obviously the winner.

I'm probably abstaining from this. I think SNL is, by and large, complete crap. I really couldn't care less what order people end up putting Eddie Murphy, BIll Murray, Dan Ackroyd, Will Ferrell, Chris Farley, and John Belushi. The lists will, for the most part, be the same.

I think a more interesting SNL category would have been best recurring SNL characters.

Guy
June 16th, 2012, 6:24 PM
This contest kind of kills any UK interest also, as we don't really have SNL over here. So we only really have the movies to go on in general, and maybe some "best of" clips.

However Bill Murray still wins.

Bert
June 16th, 2012, 6:30 PM
This contest kind of kills any UK interest also, as we don't really have SNL over here.

Most of SNL if not all of it (besides recent stuff) is on Netflix.

Guy
June 16th, 2012, 6:37 PM
Doesn't mean it's been constantly viewable on TV or ingrained into our television culture the way it is over there.

The main reason (I believe, I could be wrong) that the UK know about SNL is because a lot of comedy movies are written by, or star people who are alumni of the show. Not necessarily because of the show itself.

Rip
June 16th, 2012, 7:29 PM
It was around over here a few years back but it never really got going, I think it was on channel 4 way back before Sky took off.

I remember Mike Myers and Dennis Miller being in it and I remember there being someone on it back then who I thought was brilliant but I can't remember who it was (or enough to work it out), it had a run on one of the Sky channels as well later in the early '90s as well but for some reason I don't think it's around anywhere now.

For me from what I've seen I'd struggle to look past Chase or Aykroyd.

Mik
June 17th, 2012, 4:56 AM
This contest kind of kills any UK interest also, as we don't really have SNL over here. So we only really have the movies to go on in general, and maybe some "best of" clips.

However Bill Murray still wins.

The perhaps we should just stay out of the voting for this so as to not skew the results.

Guy
June 17th, 2012, 5:48 AM
Well obviously. But like I say, if this is THE poll we end up running with, it's a bit noninclusive.

Mik
June 17th, 2012, 7:02 AM
I don't think that there is a 'one poll at a time' limitation.

G-Fresh
June 17th, 2012, 7:28 AM
55% based on how good they were on SNL
45% based on how good they were as comedians/actors overall

That's cool. It changes who and how I would rank.

Fro
June 17th, 2012, 1:45 PM
Well obviously. But like I say, if this is THE poll we end up running with, it's a bit noninclusive.

There will be no polls with this - I agree it's not wide scoping enough to warrant that. I will just reveal the aggregate rankings in a countdown format. Seanny will be running the next polls, and it will probably be best score or whatever is decided on in the "Best ?" thread.

I encourage you guys to submit lists if you have some favorite SNL members even if you haven't watched the show too much. After all this is just for fun. Partial lists are also acceptable (if say you only have 4 favorites and getting it to 10 would be a stretch).

4 entries in so far. Keep em coming.

Atty
June 17th, 2012, 5:19 PM
That's cool. It changes who and how I would rank.

Very true. Helps Bill Murray a good deal. He was never the best when he was on the show, be it behind Ackroyd, Belushi or coming in very much in the wake of Chevy Chase (who left after a year and Murray was brought in as an unknown to fill out the cast). Ackroyd was so phenomenal on the show. My favorite stuff he ever did was on the show, whereas with Murray it came after the show.

I definitely see where UK posters would have trouble with this, but it could be a fun one for them to be referred to random sketches that they may enjoy.

Eggbert Spam
June 17th, 2012, 6:14 PM
Murray was meant to be in it from the beginning but they didn't have room in the budget.

Atty
June 17th, 2012, 6:25 PM
There will be no polls with this - I agree it's not wide scoping enough to warrant that. I will just reveal the aggregate rankings in a countdown format. Seanny will be running the next polls, and it will probably be best score or whatever is decided on in the "Best ?" thread.

I encourage you guys to submit lists if you have some favorite SNL members even if you haven't watched the show too much. After all this is just for fun. Partial lists are also acceptable (if say you only have 4 favorites and getting it to 10 would be a stretch).

4 entries in so far. Keep em coming.

Would you like us to maybe list some favorite skits for each? Could make it easier on you if I send something in linking a number of skits.

Atty
June 17th, 2012, 6:50 PM
One of my favorites from Dan Akroyd. Can't seem to find the one where they go at it on abortion, but this one is also great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INMxCynadlI&feature=related

Atty
June 17th, 2012, 7:14 PM
I was looking for Phil Hartman's "Anal Retentive Chef" skit on youtube. Couldn't find it, but found his SNL audition. It's quality and most everything he freeballs in it became a sketch at some point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RrA9Rg1vPc

Fro
June 17th, 2012, 7:33 PM
I'd like to speak for a moment about Jimmy Fallon. He will make my top 10 list, but I anticpate that it will be the only vote he gets because people tend to dislike him for some reason even though he carried the show after Ferrell left and was excellent in so many different facets. Yes he laughed during some sketches and rightfully gets a bad rap for that, but it didn't ruin them like people tend to say - those sketches (cowbell, Debby Downer) are among the most replayed and revered of that era. He and Tina Fey perfected Weekend Update - they are arguably my favorite anchors of all time with Norm being the only other one I would consider. He was a superb impressionist, some of my favorites being his Chris Rock, Adam Sandler, Robin Williams and Jerry Seinfeld. Then he also had a ton of great original characters: Nick Burns your company's computer guy, the Boston teen, the stoner with a web show, Barry Gibb (this was an impression as well but it really became its own entity). The only thing he didn't excel at was playing the straight man (that's when he tended to break).

Come at me.

Fro
June 17th, 2012, 7:54 PM
Also, Fallon currently hosts the best traditional late night talk show on TV. Sorry Conan.

Jimmy Zero
June 17th, 2012, 9:17 PM
Laughed during SOME of his sketches? No. He laughed during practically ALL of his sketches. I also couldn't disagree with you more about him and Fey as the Weekend Update anchors. I thought he was awful. Not Colin Quinn awful, but pretty bad. Kevin Nealon and Norm McDonald, I think, are the two best ones to ever do that.

Shit, now I've got to do a list.

lotjx
June 17th, 2012, 9:50 PM
Also, Fallon currently hosts the best traditional late night talk show on TV. Sorry Conan.

Craig Ferguson say hi. Fey, I can see, but Fallon? No. If anything Family Guy hit the nail the head with Fallon, he has not earned what Carol Burnett earned.

G-Fresh
June 17th, 2012, 10:17 PM
Craig Ferguson is a Wu head.

Atty
June 17th, 2012, 11:25 PM
Laughed during SOME of his sketches? No. He laughed during practically ALL of his sketches. I also couldn't disagree with you more about him and Fey as the Weekend Update anchors. I thought he was awful. Not Colin Quinn awful, but pretty bad. Kevin Nealon and Norm McDonald, I think, are the two best ones to ever do that.

Shit, now I've got to do a list.

My favorite anchors were Jane Curtain and Dan Ackyroyd, Kevin Nealon, Chevy Chase, Amy and Tina, and Seth Myers, in no order.

Jimmy Zero
June 17th, 2012, 11:42 PM
I did like Amy and Tina, a lot. I thought they had much better chemistry than Tina and Jimmy, and Amy is actually able to deliver a joke. I was only watching sporadically by that point, though.

I can't say I've seen any of Seth Meyers on Weekend Update.

G-Fresh
June 17th, 2012, 11:46 PM
I wanted to choke them bitches. They are part of the reason I totally quit watching.

Jimmy Zero
June 18th, 2012, 12:02 AM
There was an element of "hahaha, aren't we just sooooooo funny?" smugness that I never really enjoyed from the two of them, but I definitely thought they were the best since Norm to do the Update. Norm was AFTER Kevin Nealon, right?

Atty
June 18th, 2012, 1:25 AM
Yes. Nealon was on 80s to early/mid 90s, Norm followed him, then Colin Quinn. There were also a few massively failed co-anchors before Amy stepped in with Tina. I remember a Horiacio Sanz (I think that's his name) run that was so bad that it isn't even on the episodes on Netflix.

Judas Iscariot
June 18th, 2012, 2:29 AM
Seth Meyers isn't bad at all as the Weekend Update guy, but Norm MacDonald's brand of stupidly dry humor just touches me.

Actually, his horrible on purpose roast of Bob Saget is so intentionally bad it's great.

G-Fresh
June 18th, 2012, 2:52 AM
Norm is probably my all time favorite comedian. I love his bizarre off brand humor.

Fanny
June 18th, 2012, 4:20 AM
I was looking for Phil Hartman's "Anal Retentive Chef" skit on youtube. Couldn't find it, but found his SNL audition. It's quality and most everything he freeballs in it became a sketch at some point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RrA9Rg1vPc

truly a genius in his field. Gone far too soon. So, so sad. RIP Troy McClure

Bert
June 18th, 2012, 4:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV3CjIWeVBo

G-Fresh
June 18th, 2012, 5:04 AM
Phil Hartman was class.

Fanny
June 18th, 2012, 5:12 AM
last time I'll disrupt this thread, but we really need a Phil Hartman Appreciation Thread

kangus
June 18th, 2012, 5:25 AM
Well you could give it a shot.

Jacknife
June 18th, 2012, 11:02 AM
SNL guest host woulda been better.

Atty
June 18th, 2012, 1:58 PM
Well, Steve Martin would win that by a MASSIVE margin. He was so great and on so much that I almost want to count him for this list.

Matthew
June 18th, 2012, 5:59 PM
i thought alec baldwin would be up there too...

also, i thought chevy was funny. but his attitude about how no one can do weekend update as good as him, and his constant douchebaggery kinda turned me off of him

Dubya
June 18th, 2012, 8:39 PM
I'm probably the only person with Darrell Hammond on his list. He was just on the show for soooo long though. I can remember so many sketches with him that I just couldn't leave him off the list. He's always been one of my personal favs.

Jimmy Zero
June 18th, 2012, 8:40 PM
I remember Hammond having some insanely good impressions. His Al Gore used to kill me.

Dubya
June 18th, 2012, 8:48 PM
Yeah and his Clinton was probably about as good as you could ever get. His Connery on Celebrity Jeopardy always killed me too. He has a lot of good impressions though. Travolota, Trump, Regis, John McCain.. there are more than a few good ones.

Fro
June 18th, 2012, 9:11 PM
I loved Hammond's Chris Matthews

Dubya
June 18th, 2012, 9:34 PM
:lol: Yes .. his Chris Matthews was great.

Fro
June 18th, 2012, 9:46 PM
I did like Amy and Tina, a lot. I thought they had much better chemistry than Tina and Jimmy, and Amy is actually able to deliver a joke.

See to me this is just more unfounded Fallon-hating because his chemistry with Tina was so much better than Amy's. I'm a big fan of Amy in general (Parks and Rec is the best sitcom on TV) but her and Tina didn't do much for me. The male-female dynamic of Jimmy and Tina complimented each other perfectly while Tina and Amy were too similar. I actually preferred Amy and Seth to Amy and Tina. And Fallon was great at delivering the jokes. That's why he has his own talk show now.

I wish I had some clips to post but NBC apparently does a very good job of keeping them off youtube. This one is good though:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/310826

lotjx
June 18th, 2012, 9:48 PM
Hammond would be a dark horse. I really can't imagine the 90s without his Clinton even though I thought Hartman did a good job as Clinton, but Hammond had it down cold. I forgot he did Connery, he might get my vote in a few match ups.

Fro
June 18th, 2012, 10:09 PM
What's crazy about Hammond is that while he seemed like one of the most stable, professional and grounded cast members ever he had a really fucked up personal life. "During an October 2011 interview with CNN, Hammond revealed that his mother had brutally abused him during his childhood. This abuse led to cutting, several hospitalizations due to psychiatric issues, and diagnoses which include bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. Hammond says that he was medicated throughout his tenure on SNL, and that he cut himself backstage and was once taken from the studio to a psychiatric ward." Damn.

Dubya
June 18th, 2012, 10:41 PM
Yeah, that's pretty intense. I never knew about any of that. Kinda sad to hear it really.

Jimmy Zero
June 18th, 2012, 10:46 PM
Holy shit. I didn't know any of that.

Atty
June 19th, 2012, 2:20 PM
Yep, I knew about the Hammond stuff. He gave an interview to that horrible guy who replaced Larry King and talked about it a good deal and how he was never sure what would happen if he didn't have SNL.

Ochoa
June 19th, 2012, 9:28 PM
Of the current cast, Bill Hader is my favorite. I love Stefon, but I already dread the Stefon movie that you know is bound to happen.

Fro
June 19th, 2012, 9:38 PM
I've always been surprised to see Hader popping up in movies because I've never thought he was partiuclarly good on SNL. I can't stand Stefon. Jason Sudeikis is probably my favorite of the currents. And the new black guy is a great impressionist, the guy who did Stephen A Smith lately. Jay Pharoah. I think he'll stick around a while.

Keep the entries coming.

Matthew
June 19th, 2012, 9:39 PM
im not sure. i find lots of stefan's appeal is the awkward 'about to break character' and laugh thing that he just cannot stop. it is great though

mth
June 19th, 2012, 10:01 PM
What's crazy about Hammond is that while he seemed like one of the most stable, professional and grounded cast members ever he had a really fucked up personal life. "During an October 2011 interview with CNN, Hammond revealed that his mother had brutally abused him during his childhood. This abuse led to cutting, several hospitalizations due to psychiatric issues, and diagnoses which include bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. Hammond says that he was medicated throughout his tenure on SNL, and that he cut himself backstage and was once taken from the studio to a psychiatric ward." Damn.I'm actually reading his autobio right now. What you posted there is basically on the bookjacket. If you're even slightly a fan of the guy, you should definitely give it a read.

Beer-Belly
June 20th, 2012, 5:16 PM
im not sure. i find lots of stefan's appeal is the awkward 'about to break character' and laugh thing that he just cannot stop. it is great though

The thing with Stefon is that John Mulaney, the guy who writes the character with Hader, goes up and adds new jokes to the cue cards during the bit. That's why Hader has to prepare himself before he reads a line.

I love Stefon, but his appearances on Weekend Update are either hilarious or pretty "meh".

I think Seth Meyers is under-rated as far as his solo Update gig goes. He's a great straight man. I honestly thought Tina Fey and Poehler (who I otherwise love) were a little too up their own asses in the role.

Man, coming up with a top 10 was tough. Other than my top 5, I wouldn't consider it my definitive list. I regret not putting Hammond on there considering he was so long last and reliable despite dealing with some serious issues. I gave Hader and Wiig my bottom two because I enjoy them both on and off the show.

Beer-Belly
June 20th, 2012, 5:26 PM

I really disagree. I like Fallon alright, but the pseudo game show segments really smack of filler and hurt the show. Jimmy's at his best when he does the music bits.

Fro
June 20th, 2012, 10:24 PM
I really disagree. I like Fallon alright, but the pseudo game show segments really smack of filler and hurt the show. Jimmy's at his best when he does the music bits.

To be fair I rarely watch the entire show because it's on so late, but some of the game show bits have been great especially when he has celebs playing. Fallon, Fey, Poehler and Seth Myers playing charades was great. And playing mini golf against Shaq and Tiger Woods golf against Tiger Woods were good too. Agreed that his musical numbers are the best. The recent Call Me Maybe performance with The Roots using children's instruments was class. Being a big Roots fan I was skeptical of them joining the show at first but they've utilized them in a really good way with various bits/performances.

I love his thank you notes. Great bit.

Conan and Kimmel are the only other ones I ever watch and a year ago I would have said Conan is the pick of the litter but I've grown a little tired of his act. I still watch here and there but not like I used to. Conan's biggest flaw IMO is that he's pretty poor at interviewing guests. It's always a semi awkward, stunted convo.

Judas Iscariot
June 20th, 2012, 10:36 PM
Craig Ferguson is where it's at. The man's a genius and a patriot.

Fro
June 20th, 2012, 10:40 PM
Can't stand Ferguson. The Scottish accent kills me. I should probably give him a fair chance at some point but I don't see it happening. :dunno:

G-Fresh
June 21st, 2012, 5:14 AM
His favorite rapper is the muthafuckin RZA. He gets points for that shit.

Jimmy Zero
June 21st, 2012, 10:37 AM
Craig Ferguson will always be the boss from The Drew Carrey Show to me.

Dubya
June 21st, 2012, 12:42 PM
I can't stand Jimmy Fallon as a talk show host. I seriously cannot watch an entire episode. The only funny part of his show that I can even remotely stand is when he does music bits. That's it. That's literally the only part of his show that I can even make myself enjoy and he almost always does the music bit first.. so the show just seems to get worse and worse as it goes along. I know a lot of people love him.. and I did on SNL.. but I utterly despise him as a talk show host. I actually went wide-eyed when I saw Fro say he was better than Conan. That's a joke. A bad one too.

Fro
June 22nd, 2012, 10:01 PM
11 entries in and it's definitely an interesting list. Keep them coming.

PM ME YOUR TOP 10 SNL STARS OF ALL TIME

G-Fresh
June 23rd, 2012, 5:46 AM
I tried to vote for people that would be glossed over for people like Phil Hartman, John Belushi, Dan Aykroyd, Bill Murray, Chevy Chase, & Eddie Murphy. Velvet Jones is one of the best characters on SNL ever even if I didn't vote for Eddie Murphy.

Fro
June 28th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Bump.

Need some more submissions. Send me your top 10 SNL stars via PM.

No love for Horatio Sanz yet sadly.

Fro
July 9th, 2012, 2:22 PM
Last call for submissions before I start revealing the list. Not a huge turnout, I think I have about 13 submissions, but it's enough for a solid top 15.

Matty C
July 9th, 2012, 2:32 PM
Did you want quality over quantity here Fro? I can put a list together but I watch SNL sparingly and it would be mostly from well known clips and outside endeavours.

Fro
July 9th, 2012, 2:46 PM
Do it up. I prefer quantity. :)

Matty C
July 9th, 2012, 3:48 PM
Consider it did up.

Fro
July 10th, 2012, 8:49 PM
Let's begin.

15 Rajah voters have decided that these are the top 15 SNL cast memvbers of all time..

Fro
July 10th, 2012, 9:22 PM
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg826/scaled.php?server=826&filename=53164229.jpg&res=landing
Jon Lovitz
Cast member from 1985-1990

Ranked by: 4 of 15
Ranked highest by: One Man Gang (2nd)

Best known characters: The Pathalogical Liar, Master Thespian, the Devil, Tonto
Also known for: The Critic, A League of Their Own, City Slickers 2, High School High

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkYNBwCEeH4

One Man Gang
July 10th, 2012, 9:34 PM
Oh come on now, he's top 10! :p

lotjx
July 11th, 2012, 8:04 AM
Oh come on now, he's top 10! :p

No, he really isn't.

Jacknife
July 11th, 2012, 8:23 AM
He was fantastic on the Roast of Charlie Sheen.

Fro
July 11th, 2012, 9:03 AM
I like Jon Lovitz a lot. The podcast he's been doing lately with Kevin Smith called The ABC's of SNL is a great listen- he just tells stories about his days on the show and you can tell he's such a down to earth normal guy, and still very funny. He never became a movie star or anything but there was that short period when he was the star of the show. It wasn't exactly a high point of SNL, in fact it was probably a lull, but Lovitz was its saving grace until Hartman arrived.

Yeah, that's the ticket.

Jimmy Zero
July 11th, 2012, 9:55 AM
I love Jon Lovitz. I'm not a huge fan of some of his SNL stuff, but the Critic is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

lotjx
July 11th, 2012, 10:16 AM
I love Jon Lovitz. I'm not a huge fan of some of his SNL stuff, but the Critic is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Yes!

Ochoa
July 11th, 2012, 3:37 PM
Hannukah Harry :)

Fro
July 11th, 2012, 9:46 PM
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg696/scaled.php?server=696&filename=saturdaynightliveseason.jpg&res=landing
Chevy Chase
Cast member from 1975-1976

Ranked by: 4 of 15
Ranked highest by: TimeSplitter (2nd)

Best known sketches: Weekend Update, Land Shark
Also known for: Caddyshack, National Lampoon's Vacation, Three Amigos, Community, Fletch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVjSkIOOd6Q&feature=related

Matty C
July 12th, 2012, 9:35 AM
Chevy made my list toward the bottom, mostly based on his film work to be honest. Clark W. Griswold is an iconic character and I've always enjoyed him in Caddyshack, The Three Amigos and Fletch.

lotjx
July 12th, 2012, 2:16 PM
His Ford was pretty iconic even though he looked nothing like Ford.

MTR
July 12th, 2012, 3:32 PM
Damn I would have voted had I seen this. I need to come in this forum more often.

Chase should have been top 10.

Fro
July 12th, 2012, 4:02 PM
Granted I was 10 years from being born when he was on SNL, but the knock against Chevy (in regards to this list) is that he was only on the show for 1 season and then had only a moderately successful movie career afterwards. On the other hand, you could make the argument that he was the most important cast member in the show's history, having been THE star of season 1 and making the show the household name it became for 30+ years. Who knows if it would have even made it without him.

Caddyshack is easily my favorite work of his. That movie is hilarious all around but Chase steals every scene he's in. We have a pool, and a pond. Pond would be good for you.

TimeSplitter
July 12th, 2012, 7:10 PM
On the other hand, you could make the argument that he was the most important cast member in the show's history, having been THE star of season 1 and making the show the household name it became for 30+ years. Who knows if it would have even made it without him.

This is why I put him so high on my list.

Fro
July 13th, 2012, 12:15 AM
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg444/scaled.php?server=444&filename=saturdaynightliveseason.jpg&res=landing
Gilda Radner
Cast member from 1975-1980
Died: 1989 (aged 42; cancer)

Ranked by: 5 of 15
Ranked highest by: lotjx (4th)

Best known sketches: Roseanne Roseannadanna, Baba Wawa, Emily Litella

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQmPiPytK5w&feature=related

MTR
July 13th, 2012, 7:58 AM
Wow I am definitely interested to see the top ten after Gilda doesn't make it there. Man I wish I would have voted.

Jimmy Zero
July 13th, 2012, 10:08 AM
The top ten will be Bill Murray, Dan Ackroyd, Belushi, and all the guys from the late 80's and early to mid 90's.

Beer-Belly
July 13th, 2012, 10:40 AM
I forget, is it still cool to hate Will Ferrell? I realize humor is subjective, but I'll never understand why that guy gets so much shit.

The first five years of SNL are really hit and miss. Maybe it's a generational thing, but when I watch those old episodes I usually end up staring blankly at the screen waiting for something funny to happen.

G-Fresh
July 13th, 2012, 11:09 AM
90s SNL is really the only era I give a fuck about.

MTR
July 13th, 2012, 1:04 PM
There was some great stuff in the 90's no doubt but there was a lot of great stuff back towards the beginning.

lotjx
July 13th, 2012, 1:25 PM
Gilda being 13 is just sad. She is one of the few woman, I would put on this list. I think she was the only one.

darkhorse
July 13th, 2012, 5:17 PM
I forget, is it still cool to hate Will Ferrell?

If it is, then I guess that makes me uncool. I loved "Step Brothers".

Droid
July 13th, 2012, 8:52 PM
Step brothers is one of his 3 best movies imo.

Fro
July 13th, 2012, 9:13 PM
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg189/scaled.php?server=189&filename=saturdaynightliveseason.jpg&res=landing
Darrell Hammond
Cast member from 1995-2009

Ranked by: 6 of 15
Ranked highest by: Dubya (4th)

Best known impressions: Sean Connery, Donald Trump, Al Gore, John McCain, Bill Clinton, Regis Philbin, Dick Cheney, Chris Matthews, Phil Donahue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX8Qqu_WBIc&feature=related

Summary:
12. Darrell Hammond
13. Gilda Radner
14. Chevy Chase
15. Jon Lovitz

Fro
July 14th, 2012, 3:01 PM
I think a strong case could be made that Hammond should be higher. He was on the show longer than anyone in its history (14 seasons) and was probably the best pure impressionist it ever had. There was never really a time when he was the star of the show but he was its backbone for a decade +.

Atty
July 14th, 2012, 3:15 PM
Agreed.

With Chevy Chase, one thing I'd like to point out that others touched on a bit is that he may have been the most important cast member they ever had. He wasn't just the star of the first season, but he carried a lot of it. Ackroyd was great, but the other cast members hadn't hit their stride yet and Belushi wasn't even on every week as they had to frequently pull him off at the last minute as punishment (due to his love of the spotlight) for his drug habit. Chase made the first season and, if he hadn't, the show likely wouldn't have lasted long. TV history is riddled with shows that got canceled, despite a lot of talent, because the cast and writers didn't click early on.

By the time he left, the show had a much better idea of what it was doing, but he carried it for a year. Now let us a take a brief look back... :looksbehind:

Fro
July 15th, 2012, 6:10 PM
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg838/scaled.php?server=838&filename=saturdaynightliveseason.jpg&res=landing
Norm Macdonald
Cast member from 1993-1998

Ranked by: 5 of 15
Ranked highest by: DVDA & Pipkin (3rd)

Best known sketches/impressions: Weekend Update, Burt Reynolds, Larry King, Bob Dole
Also known for: Dirty Work, Screwed, The Norm Show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ucH9qC4Vy4

Summary:
12. Darrell Hammond
13. Gilda Radner
14. Chevy Chase
15. Jon Lovitz

G-Fresh
July 15th, 2012, 6:17 PM
Dirty Work is one of the best movies ever. Not as good as ROTJ, but still amazing.

Fro
July 15th, 2012, 8:53 PM
Dirty Work is hilarious. I bought that shit on VHS back in the day. I'm also probably one of the few people who watched The Norm Show regularly. It was great, or at least I thought it was when I was 14.

Dubya
July 15th, 2012, 9:03 PM
I think a strong case could be made that Hammond should be higher. He was on the show longer than anyone in its history (14 seasons) and was probably the best pure impressionist it ever had. There was never really a time when he was the star of the show but he was its backbone for a decade +.

Completely agree. I put him so high on my list because I can honestly think of more skits and impressions involving him than pretty much anyone else. He was never the star of the show really, but was always a strong constant and made it feel like home after so many people left and made it a strange place.

Dubya
July 15th, 2012, 9:06 PM
I thought Dirty Work was funny when I was a kid.. however, I now find it completely unwatchable as an adult. .. which is generally how I feel about Norm Macdonald altogether.

Fro
July 16th, 2012, 8:17 PM
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg843/scaled.php?server=843&filename=500fulla.jpg&res=landing
Mike Myers
Cast member from 1989-1995

Ranked by: 7 of 15
Ranked highest by: One Man Gang (4th)

Best known sketches: Wayne's World, Coffee Talk, Sprockets
Also known for: Austin Powers, Shrek

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAjXYfTtGas

Summary:
11. Norm Macdonald
12. Darrell Hammond
13. Gilda Radner
14. Chevy Chase
15. Jon Lovitz

lotjx
July 17th, 2012, 10:13 AM
I thought Dirty Work was funny when I was a kid.. however, I now find it completely unwatchable as an adult. .. which is generally how I feel about Norm Macdonald altogether.

My friends would beat your ass for that comment. I sorta agree.

MTR
July 17th, 2012, 10:27 AM
I can agree that Hammond can be higher due to the fact he was really the backbone of the show and did a lot for the show.

G-Fresh
July 17th, 2012, 2:16 PM
My friends would beat your ass for that comment. I sorta agree.

Your friends sound like cool peeps.

One Man Gang
July 17th, 2012, 2:59 PM
I wish the movie about Sprockets had gone forward. So much dancing...

lotjx
July 17th, 2012, 5:01 PM
Your friends sound like cool peeps.

They can be. They can be. Did I mention they are Hindu?

G-Fresh
July 17th, 2012, 5:27 PM
I know a bunch of people from India that are super cool. They all work at gas stations though.

Fro
July 18th, 2012, 8:42 PM
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg692/scaled.php?server=692&filename=danacarveysnln.png&res=landing
Dana Carvey
Cast member from 1986-1993

Ranked highest by: Atty (3rd)

Best known sketches/impersonations: Church Lady, Wayne's World, Hans and Franz, George Bush Sr, Ross Perot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRW27fyvwCs&feature=relmfu

Summary:
10. Mike Myers
11. Norm Macdonald
12. Darrell Hammond
13. Gilda Radner
14. Chevy Chase
15. Jon Lovitz

TimeSplitter
July 18th, 2012, 8:47 PM
I think it's very fitting to have these two ranked next to one another.

Fro
July 18th, 2012, 9:40 PM
Agreed, and I also think it's fair that Carvey's ahead of Myers. Carvey was one of the most fully rounded cast members in terms of both being one of the top 2 or 3 impressionists in the show's history and also creating original characters that became huge hits (particularly the 3 I listed above). Myers obviously became a huge movie star while Carvey really only did the Wayne's World flicks, but Myers wasn't nearly as versatile on the show.

Bert
July 18th, 2012, 10:06 PM
Agreed, and I also think it's fair that Carvey's ahead of Myers. Carvey was one of the most fully rounded cast members in terms of both being one of the top 2 or 3 impressionists in the show's history and also creating original characters that became huge hits (particularly the 3 I listed above). Myers obviously became a huge movie star while Carvey really only did the Wayne's World flicks, but Myers wasn't nearly as versatile on the show.

http://i.imgur.com/22SM6.gif

G-Fresh
July 18th, 2012, 10:09 PM
That movie was fuckin awful. I fell asleep during that shit.

Ochoa
July 18th, 2012, 11:25 PM
Yeah really. Not the best example. Come to think of it, I can't think of any other Carvey movies besides the Wayne's World movies.

Atty
July 19th, 2012, 2:27 AM
He was astounding on SNL and in virtually every sketch over the time he was on the show (86-93?). He was in everything and helped carry the show over one of it's best runs. His Johnny Carson and Jimmy Stewart may be my favorite SNL impressions.

I don't really see why movies factor in on him at all. That's never been his thing. Stand up has been his career and he's continued to do it over the years. Besides, if people are going to bring up bad movies SNL alumni have made, this could go on quite a long time.

G-Fresh
July 19th, 2012, 3:02 AM
and The Master of Disguise is possibly the worst.

MTR
July 19th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Carvey is one of my favorite cast members of SNL. And I love the video you posted. I tend to think of that first when I think about him before Garth or the Church Lady.

Atty
July 19th, 2012, 12:53 PM
and The Master of Disguise is possibly the worst.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqLUbmpuVw4

Fro
July 19th, 2012, 11:14 PM
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg442/scaled.php?server=442&filename=saturdaynightliveseason.jpg&res=landing
Dan Aykroyd
Cast member from 1975-1979

Ranked highest by: Atty (2nd)

Best known sketches: The Blues Brothers, Coneheads, Two Wild and Crazy Guys, Weekend Update
Best known impersonations: Jimmy Carter, Vincent Price, Richard Nixon, Rod Sterling
Also known for: Ghostbusters, Trading Places, Spies Like Us, The Great Outdoors

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lZXytSZO94

Summary:
9. Dana Carvey
10. Mike Myers
11. Norm Macdonald
12. Darrell Hammond
13. Gilda Radner
14. Chevy Chase
15. Jon Lovitz

Fro
July 25th, 2012, 9:39 PM
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg542/scaled.php?server=542&filename=jbsnl.jpg&res=landing
John Belushi
Cast member from 1975-1979
Died: 1982 (aged 33, overdose)

Ranked by: 8 of 15
Ranked highest by: TimeSplitter & lotjx (1st)

Best known sketches/impersonations: The Blues Brothers, Samurai Futaba, Marlon Brando, Joe Cocker, William Shatner
Also known for: Animal House

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHaA4RePosY

Summary:
8. Dan Aykroyd
9. Dana Carvey
10. Mike Myers
11. Norm Macdonald
12. Darrell Hammond
13. Gilda Radner
14. Chevy Chase
15. Jon Lovitz

Ochoa
July 26th, 2012, 1:05 AM
Did people forget about this thread? Aykroyd and Belushi are legends.

Fro
July 26th, 2012, 8:44 AM
Like someone said with Carvey/Myers, it's fitting that these two are back to back.

Matty C
July 26th, 2012, 12:42 PM
I love Ackroyd, he's hilarious. Doug Gilmour (former NHL hockey player) was on the radio around here the other day and lives near Dan these days. The guys on the radio were joking that he probably shows up with a case of his winery's wine in sandals and shorts with a cigar at 3 AM yelling at Gilore to come out and party. Dougy said they were dead wrong, Ackroyd wears cowboy boots at all times.

Hilarious.

Belushi is someone I'm not as familiar with. Everyone seems to rate him sky-high but not having seen enough of his SNL stuff, I can't really comment. I know his Joe Cocker is legendary though. Absolutely hilarious.

One Man Gang
July 26th, 2012, 2:41 PM
Loved Dana Carvey. Wish his heart was stronger though.

Dan Aykroyd should be higher.

John Belushi was certainly a nut. Kinda weird that Carvey/Myers and Aykroyd/Belushi are right next to each other.

Fro
July 26th, 2012, 10:50 PM
Belushi is someone I'm not as familiar with. Everyone seems to rate him sky-high but not having seen enough of his SNL stuff, I can't really comment.

Ditto. From the clips I have seen you can tell he was the most charismatic and probably also the most talented of that first group, but I've only seen a handful.

Imagine if he hadn't died and he was the star of Ghostbusters. I'm not sure it would have been quite as good.

Atty
July 26th, 2012, 10:57 PM
Of the first group, Danny's the most talented. Belushi was amazing and charismatic as could be, but he was also a mess. There were frequently weeks where they had to pull him off the show at the last minute because he was a coked out mess. He loved the spotlight and they had to use denying him the attention to try and make him get himself together. Shame he never could sort himself out before it was too late.

I like Danny more and more with time, as well.

Fro
July 28th, 2012, 1:13 AM
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg443/scaled.php?server=443&filename=saturdaynightliveseason.jpg&res=landing
Adam Sandler
Cast member from 1991-1995

Ranked by: 9 of 15
Ranked highest by: Ochoa (2nd)

Best known sketches: Cajun Man, Canteen Boy, Opera Man, song parities
Also known for: Billy Madison, Happy Gilmore, The Wedding Singer, The Waterboy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlsSyQH0gu8

Summary:
7. John Belushi
8. Dan Aykroyd
9. Dana Carvey
10. Mike Myers
11. Norm Macdonald
12. Darrell Hammond
13. Gilda Radner
14. Chevy Chase
15. Jon Lovitz

lotjx
July 28th, 2012, 7:59 AM
Sandler is too high. Yes, his movies gross a ridiculous amount of money, but only opera guy is his most memorable character.

Matty C
July 28th, 2012, 9:04 AM
The weighting was 55/45 and Sandler pretty much kills everyone in terms of a box office draw/good movies. I can see why he's this high. Really, I think Myers probably should have been higher given the weighting for the same reason.

Also, Happy Gilmore

Dream-Evil
July 28th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Canteen Boy with Alec Baldwin was awesome.. Mainly because of Baldwin though..

Fro
July 28th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Sandler obviously has had THE most successful movie career of any SNL cast member, monetarily speaking, but don't let that overshadow the fact that he was great on SNL in a really unique way. He could take a really stupid, basic concept and make the audience die laughing from it. This skit being probably the best example of that:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/282890

Plus the songs he did, both on the show and on his albums, became big pop culture hits (Hannukah Song, Lunch Lady Land etc). And he was a good sketch character as well (the grandma character, the ladies at the mall with Spade and Farley, the gay beer commercial etc).

If he's overrated compared to guys like Aykroyd and Belushi I don't think it's because of his movies (which get panned again and again), but because he's from a more recent era that guys my age are familiar with. It's hard for me to say those guys were better than Sandler on the show when I know Sandler was great but I've only seen a sketch here and there of the old guys. The young bias and all that.

Matty C
July 28th, 2012, 1:55 PM
I'm not sure that Sandler has grossed more than Mike Myers to be fair. With the Shrek and Austin Power series to his credit, as well as Wayne's World 1&2, Mike Myers has grossed billions at the box office.

Fro
July 28th, 2012, 2:11 PM
You are probably right, in fact I think Eddie Murphy is actually still first, Myers second and Sandler third. But Sandler has had the most success as a leading actor when you discount the animated stuff (that is to say, Shrek). He has about 12 movies that grossed over 100 mil, by far the most.

Fro
July 29th, 2012, 9:34 PM
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg193/scaled.php?server=193&filename=billmurraynick.jpg&res=landing
Bill Murray
Cast member from 1977-1980

Ranked by: 9 of 15
Ranked highest by: Dubya & Matty C (1st)

Also known for: Ghostbusters, Caddyshack, Groundhog Day, The Royal Tenenbaums, Stripes, Rushmore, Lost in Translation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYl9R5wU980

Summary:
6. Adam Sandler
7. John Belushi
8. Dan Aykroyd
9. Dana Carvey
10. Mike Myers
11. Norm Macdonald
12. Darrell Hammond
13. Gilda Radner
14. Chevy Chase
15. Jon Lovitz

Ochoa
July 29th, 2012, 11:22 PM
Love Murray. Surprised he's not top 3 to be honest. I can guess who's in the top 4 now. Murray is iconic.

Jimmy Zero
July 29th, 2012, 11:26 PM
That lounge singer act was hilarious.

MTR
July 30th, 2012, 10:51 AM
I think Sandler is a little too high. Definitely a great cast member though but I would have put Belushi and Aykroyd ahead of him.

Fro
July 31st, 2012, 8:56 PM
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg191/scaled.php?server=191&filename=eddiemurphybuckwheat.jpg&res=landing
Eddie Murphy
Cast member from 1980-1984

Ranked by: 11 of 15
Ranked highest by: John Wilkes Telephone Boo (1st)

Best known characters: Gumby, Mr. Robinson, Buckwheat, Bill Cosby, Stevie Wonder
Also known for: Beverly Hills Cop, Trading Places, Coming to America, 48 Hours, The Nutty Professor, Dr. Dolittle, Shrek

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu0ZpE9bQGc&feature=related

Summary:
5. Bill Murray
6. Adam Sandler
7. John Belushi
8. Dan Aykroyd
9. Dana Carvey
10. Mike Myers
11. Norm Macdonald
12. Darrell Hammond
13. Gilda Radner
14. Chevy Chase
15. Jon Lovitz

Ochoa
July 31st, 2012, 11:53 PM
Wow. Thought Eddie Murphy would've been higher.

John Wilkes Telephone Boo
August 1st, 2012, 1:13 AM
Hmmmm? I am going to say that sub-consciously, the last big SNL deaths will end up with numbers one and two. Probably no ones own personal effort, but I think those tragedies still linger for most of us and a thought of what could have been exists for most of us. Not saying they wouldn't deserve it, just that the deaths help us remember them.

But I think Murphy and Murray should have been just a bit higher. And if Farrel ranks higher than them (which seems VERY likely at this point) that would be a pity.

Fro
August 1st, 2012, 9:40 PM
Eddie Murphy in the 80s was pure brilliance. Beverly Hills Cop, Trading Places and Coming to America are all among my favorite comedies of all time, all so perfect in their own way. He was also the first star to emerge on SNL after the first generation had left thus proving to fans and the network that the show itself was bigger than its components. He carried it on his back probably as much as anyone else did in its history.

Dubya
August 1st, 2012, 9:43 PM
To be fair, he was pretty great in the 90's too .. I mean, Nutty Professor, Boomerang, Dr. Dolittle, Life, Bowfinger, Vampire in Brooklyn, BH Cop III .. I still watch all those movies if they come on TV.

G-Fresh
August 1st, 2012, 9:53 PM
Vampire In Brooklyn is the best vampire movie ever.

Fro
August 3rd, 2012, 6:39 PM
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg94/scaled.php?server=94&filename=41846435313370528311554.jpg&res=landing
Phil Hartman
Cast member from 1986 – 1994
Died: 1998 (age 49; spousal homicide)

Ranked by: 10 of 15
Ranked highest by: Ochoa, One Man Gang, Chris Dolmeth & Atty (1st)

Best known characters: Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer, Chick Hazard, Frankenstein, Eugene the Anal Retentive Chef
Best known impressions: Bill Clinton, Frank Sinatra, Ronald Reagan, Ed McMahon, Barbara Bush, Charlton Heston, Phil Donahue
Also known for: NewsRadio, The Simpsons, Sgt Bilko, Jingle All the Way, Small Soldiers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEoCoVRk_Zc
Summary:
4. Eddie Murphy
5. Bill Murray
6. Adam Sandler
7. John Belushi
8. Dan Aykroyd
9. Dana Carvey
10. Mike Myers
11. Norm Macdonald
12. Darrell Hammond
13. Gilda Radner
14. Chevy Chase
15. Jon Lovitz

One Man Gang
August 3rd, 2012, 6:48 PM
He is better than the #1 and #2 on this list.

August 3rd, 2012, 9:02 PM
By one and two, you mean Will Ferrel and Chris Farley? If so, I agree ...but he is only funnier than one of them just by a little.

Tyson
August 3rd, 2012, 10:29 PM
Newsradio has been airing recently, very under-rated show.

Ochoa
August 4th, 2012, 12:16 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury, I... I'm just a caveman. Your world frightens and confuses me.

darkhorse
August 4th, 2012, 12:33 AM
http://www.tiricosuave.com/images/sassy.jpg

Atty
August 4th, 2012, 12:42 AM
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer was such a brilliant random sketch.

As for non-SNL, Troy McClure is a legend.

One Man Gang
August 4th, 2012, 12:44 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InF17l92Fbc&feature=related

August 5th, 2012, 3:31 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_dAAzJNGQc

Fro
August 5th, 2012, 4:45 PM
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg862/scaled.php?server=862&filename=chrisfarleybiography.jpg&res=landing
Chris Farley
Cast member from 1990 – 1995
Died: 1997 (age 33; overdose)

Ranked by: 12 of 15
Ranked highest by: DVDA (1st)

Best known sketches: Matt Foley motivational speaker, Superfans, Gap Girls, The Chris Farley Show, air quotes guy, Chippendale's, Lunch Lady Land
Best known impressions: Tom Arnold, Dom DeLuise, John Madden, Hank Williams Jr
Also known for: Tommy Boy, Black Sheep

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFKCM0u99II

Summary:
3. Phil Hartman
4. Eddie Murphy
5. Bill Murray
6. Adam Sandler
7. John Belushi
8. Dan Aykroyd
9. Dana Carvey
10. Mike Myers
11. Norm Macdonald
12. Darrell Hammond
13. Gilda Radner
14. Chevy Chase
15. Jon Lovitz

Jimmy Zero
August 5th, 2012, 6:24 PM
Will Ferrell is really #1?

The Chris Farley Show is probably my favorite thing ever on SNL.

Ochoa
August 5th, 2012, 8:19 PM
Maybe it's a surprise at #1. Like Chris Kattan or Rob Schneider.

Atty
August 5th, 2012, 8:22 PM
I hope it's Steve Martin.

virms
August 5th, 2012, 9:00 PM
Pulling for Joe Piscapo myself.

Fro
August 5th, 2012, 9:10 PM
Jimmy Fallon haters are about to be pissed

G-Fresh
August 5th, 2012, 9:27 PM
A sad day this is. Farley should be #1.

TimeSplitter
August 5th, 2012, 11:19 PM
Who knows, maybe Horatio Sanz will Woodrow Wilson this vote.

Jimmy Zero
August 6th, 2012, 12:33 AM
I'm calling it now...Julia Louis-Dreyfus.

Atty
August 6th, 2012, 12:39 AM
Better than Will Ferrell.

darkhorse
August 6th, 2012, 4:39 AM
It's gonna be Ellen Cleghorne.

Dubya
August 6th, 2012, 9:22 AM
I love how we're all complaining about this list that we voted on ourselves.. :lol:

IB_Lives
August 6th, 2012, 9:52 AM
I have been a die hard SNL fan since I was a teenager. I watched every week for many years and most of the 90's episodes on Comedy Central back in the day. Since then I have caught up with a lot of the older stuff thanks to Netflix. I know I missed the boat on sending in my list but I wanted to post my personal favourites and some other stuff just for fun.

Fred Armisen 2002 – present
Dan Aykroyd 1975 – 1979
John Belushi (†) 1975 – 1979
Dana Carvey 1986 – 1993
Chevy Chase 1975 – 1976
Jimmy Fallon 1998 – 2004
Chris Farley (†) 1990 – 1995
Will Ferrell 1995 – 2002
Tina Fey 2000 – 2006
Will Forte 2002 – 2010
Ana Gasteyer 1996 – 2002
Bill Hader 2005 – present
Darrell Hammond
Phil Hartman (†) 1986 – 1994
Chris Kattan 1996 – 2003
Jon Lovitz 1985 – 1990
Norm Macdonald 1993 – 1998
Tim Meadows 1991 – 2000
Seth Meyers 2001 – present
Tracy Morgan 1996 – 2003
Garrett Morris 1975 – 1980
Bill Murray 1977 – 1980
Mike Myers 1989 – 1995
Kevin Nealon 1986 – 1995
Chris Parnell 1998 - 2006
Maya Rudolph 2000 – 2007
Andy Samberg 2005 – 2012
Adam Sandler 1991 – 1995
Horatio Sanz 1998 – 2006
Rob Schneider 1990 – 1994
Molly Shannon 1995 – 2001
David Spade 1990 – 1996

Jimmy Fallon - I always liked his impressions, thought he was charming on Weekend Update and best of all his inability to keep a straight face. Cow Bell skit for instance, it was funny enough itself but I can't help but laugh my ass off every time I see a guy break character and laugh. To some it probably ruins the skit or maybe that is a sign of a horrible actor....but being a live sketch show I love it and how you never know when and if things could fall apart.

My fav. Weekend Update pairing : Tina Fey & Jimmy Fallon.
My fav. Weekend Update solo (tie): Kevin Nealon or Norm McDonald

There was a time that I thought Tim Meadows would never leave the show.

Darrell Hammond was the best "character" actor without question to have ever been on the show.

Fav. Current Cast Member: Bill Hader

A Few Fav. Skits: Matt Foley stuff, Cow Bell, any of the ESPN Classic stuff........douche, John Goodman as Linda Tripp, and Lunch Lady Land ---a very very select few that just jumped into mind.

So yeah, SNL is and always will be one of my favorite shows. Known for being amazingly funny or downright unwatchable, you never know what show you are going to get!!

The Rick
August 6th, 2012, 12:49 PM
I was never really a big SNL fan. I liked certain skits, but it seemed that there were too many that just sucked. Viewing this thread, however, makes me think I was too young to appreciate the 80s SNL episodes. The early 90s were alright, and the last 10 yrs are still pretty shit IMO. I have enjoyed the thread quite a bit.

MTR
August 6th, 2012, 4:08 PM
I love how we're all complaining about this list that we voted on ourselves.. :lol:

I didn't vote so I will complain away. ;)

Jacknife
August 6th, 2012, 4:12 PM
Will Ferrell is worthy of being #1.

IB_Lives
August 6th, 2012, 4:55 PM
It's a shame I cannot locate the ESPN Classic skits to share. Youtube/NBC must have taken them down for some reason. Search them on Hulu and I believe they are there. Yes the last 10 years have been hit and miss but these skits, if you like immature potty humour like I do, are the best they have to offer.

Fro
August 6th, 2012, 6:43 PM
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg193/scaled.php?server=193&filename=morecowbellj.jpg&res=landing
Will Ferrell
Cast member from 1995 - 2002

Ranked by: 10 of 15
Ranked highest by: Beer-Belly & Pipkin (1st)

Best known sketches: Jeopardy, Inside the Actors Studio, Spartan Cheerleaders, Blue Φyster Cult, Morning Latte, Music Teachers, Bill Brasky
Best known impressions: George Bush Jr, Harry Caray, Robert Goulet, James Lipton, Alex Trebek, Saddam Hussein
Also known for: Anchorman, Old School, Talladega Nights, Step Brothers, Elf, Blades of Glory, The Other Guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pamHRy81phw

Your top 15:
1. Will Ferrell
2. Chris Farley
3. Phil Hartman
4. Eddie Murphy
5. Bill Murray
6. Adam Sandler
7. John Belushi
8. Dan Aykroyd
9. Dana Carvey
10. Mike Myers
11. Norm Macdonald
12. Darrell Hammond
13. Gilda Radner
14. Chevy Chase
15. Jon Lovitz

IB_Lives
August 6th, 2012, 6:44 PM
Congrats Fro on a great thread and for doing such a nice job. i have had fun today at work watching some of these vids and reading the commentary.

Fro
August 6th, 2012, 6:58 PM
Thanks.

Will Ferrell is worthy of being #1.

Agreed. What he brought to the show was as good as anyone who ever did it. He was the president, he had the other impressions we all knew and quoted, he had the original characters, and he even played the straight man as good as anyone (see: Jeopardy). His subsequent movie career, which is showing no signs of slowing, is also as good an any other cast member's maybe with the exception of Murray. I don't think there's an obvious or unanimous #1 on this list but Ferrell is the closest to it.

Dubya
August 6th, 2012, 7:09 PM
Well put and I agree .

Psycho666Soldier
August 7th, 2012, 12:11 AM
While some might disagree with Ferrell making #1(I myself am not the biggest fan of that choice), when you look at his SNL stuff alone...he was perfect for it. His humor is best in sketch comedy, and he spent a lot of time in the cast.

G-Fresh
August 7th, 2012, 12:34 AM
Ferrell is acceptable. Old School is amazing.

MTR
August 7th, 2012, 12:37 AM
Ferrel was great. One of the best on the show. I probably wouldn't put him at #1 but hard to argue against it.

lotjx
August 7th, 2012, 8:33 AM
Will was the MVP of the show sometimes in the 90s when all the guys left and it was basically Will and the girls which was cool and all, but you could tell they were maximizing their talent. And he took that opportunity and ran with it. I don't like Old School, but Anchorman, fucking Anchorman. I also think his new movie Campaign looks good.

TimeSplitter
August 8th, 2012, 8:11 PM
I am more than alright with Ferrel being number 1. As others have said, great work on this thread, Fro. It has been an incredible read.

Dubya
August 8th, 2012, 9:11 PM
Next thread idea: Best Sports Hero in a Movie ???

Chris Dolmeth
August 8th, 2012, 9:23 PM
Emilio Estevez - Mighty Ducks

Dubya
August 8th, 2012, 9:39 PM
Oh come on.. Rudy all the way..

SPEAKING OF SOME WILL FERRELL .. check this out.. the Will Ferrell Soundboard ..
http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2012/08/the-will-ferrell-soundboard

Chris Dolmeth
August 8th, 2012, 10:43 PM
Oh come on.. Rudy all the way..

Pffft, Rudy played a few seconds in a game that was already over. Emiliooooooooo led is team to the championship!

Atty
August 8th, 2012, 10:46 PM
Rocky, duh.

The Rick
August 8th, 2012, 11:05 PM
Does it hurt being so wrong?
Mr. Miyagi

Jimmy Zero
August 8th, 2012, 11:06 PM
Next poll idea: Best/Coolest Car

G-Fresh
August 8th, 2012, 11:39 PM
Rudy fuckin sucks.

darkhorse
August 9th, 2012, 2:52 AM

Happy Gilmore

August 9th, 2012, 2:57 AM

Bill Murray in Space Jam

Ochoa
August 9th, 2012, 3:27 AM
Benjamin Franklin Rodriguez

G-Fresh
August 9th, 2012, 3:42 AM
Joe Cooper all day son

Chris Dolmeth
August 9th, 2012, 3:48 AM
Ricky Bobby

TimeSplitter
August 9th, 2012, 11:15 AM

The Gopher in Caddyshack

Atty
August 9th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Best Batman Movie. Curious to see where they'd fall.

...Actually, Best Superhero Movie could prove interesting.

The Rick
August 9th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Some Ideas
-best cartoon
-best cartoon character
-Best TV theme song
-Worst movie nominated for "Best Picture"
-best kids movies/best movies rated PG and G

IB_Lives
August 9th, 2012, 1:01 PM
Best comic / graphic novel movie for sure. You will see a lot of loyalists politicing and i see some great debates coming out of that one!

lotjx
August 9th, 2012, 2:27 PM
Its Watchmen or DKR, there is the debate.

IB_Lives
August 9th, 2012, 4:27 PM
Its Watchmen or DKR, there is the debate.

See Watchmen would rank in the top 10 but not at the top. Dark Knight I presumably agree with without giving it much thought....Plenty of room for debate and I highly doubt you will convince the majority to make Watchmen #1 or 2. See you are already starting the politicing......LET'S DO THIS!

If FF or Green Lantern hit the top 5 I riot.

One Man Gang
August 9th, 2012, 5:17 PM
Some Ideas
-best cartoon
-best cartoon character
-Best TV theme song
-Worst movie nominated for "Best Picture"
-best kids movies/best movies rated PG and G

Well I'm always down for best tv theme song. Anything with best cartoon could be cool too.

darkhorse
August 9th, 2012, 7:17 PM
I'd be up for TV themes and cartoon characters. Worst "Best Picture" sounds interesting as well.

Fro
August 9th, 2012, 8:31 PM
And the rest:

David Spade 21
Tina Fey 21
Amy Poehler 14
Kristen Wiig 13
Chris Rock 12
Jimmy Fallon 12
Dennis Miller 12
Bill Hader 11
Rachel Dratch 9
Mark McKinney 8
Julia Sweeney 8
Kevin Nealon 8
Tim Meadows 8
Tracy Morgan 6
Rob Schneider 5
Julia Louis-Dreyfus 5
Molly Shannon 4
Cheri Oteri 4
Damon Wayans 4
Will Forte 4
Robert Smigel 3
Andy Samberg 3

lotjx
August 9th, 2012, 9:30 PM
Thank you Fro, for your hard work in this endeavor.

Sancty
August 13th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Just saw this thread now and loved it. My fifteen without ranking would have

Ferrell
Murphy
Carvey
Myers
Sandler

Forter
Samberg
Wiig
Fey
Spade

Forte
Fallon
Miller
Nealon
Hartman

I think Dana would have pulled my number one. That guy was brilliant and SO versatile. How did you ignore Head Wound Harry on the list of his memorable characters?

For his other stuff... Clean Slate was a decent movie for the formulaic bit that it was. The Dana Carvey show was 100 kinds of brilliant.

Great job on this Fro! Very fun read.

Fro
November 4th, 2012, 12:03 AM
This episode (Louie CK) is hilarious, at least through 4 segments. The opening Bloomberg sketch was great and then Louie did about 5 minutes of standup for the monologue. And Louie as Lincoln is the funniest thing I've seen on this show in years.

Mark Hammer
November 4th, 2012, 2:09 AM
Ferrell over Farley? Pfffffffft.

Mark Hammer
November 4th, 2012, 2:16 AM
See Watchmen would rank in the top 10 but not at the top. Dark Knight I presumably agree with without giving it much thought....Plenty of room for debate and I highly doubt you will convince the majority to make Watchmen #1 or 2. See you are already starting the politicing......LET'S DO THIS!

If FF or Green Lantern hit the top 5 I riot.

I thought Batman Begins was better than The Dark Knight.

JRSlim21
November 4th, 2012, 9:51 AM
I thought Batman Begins was better than The Dark Knight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sez8O6je0xk

Good list. I couldn't fathom to figure out my top 10 or 15, but I can agree with the top 5 pretty convincingly.

Mark Hammer
November 4th, 2012, 3:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sez8O6je0xk

Not really. TDK gets overhyped to hell because of Ledger and his death but the story behind Batman Begins was far more interesting. Also Scarecrow was a wonderful antagonist, not as impactful as Ledger's Joker but still a breath of fresh air at the time as Scarecrow had never been featured predominantly (or at all if I'm not mistaken) in a live action feature Batman film. And he was a scary, even realistic son of a bitch.

I firmly stand by my original comment, Batman Begins was better.

Fro
November 4th, 2012, 5:37 PM
I'm not sure how this batman discussion got into this thread but seriously, did anyone watch the Louie/Lincoln skit? It's amazing.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/421088?playlist_id=1222

Atty
November 5th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Louie was terrific, but I was quite surprised not to see a skit on the final debate. That bit where Obama told Romney that we don't rely on horses and bayonets anymore seemed like it was screaming for an SNL skit.

Not really. TDK gets overhyped to hell because of Ledger and his death but the story behind Batman Begins was far more interesting. Also Scarecrow was a wonderful antagonist, not as impactful as Ledger's Joker but still a breath of fresh air at the time as Scarecrow had never been featured predominantly (or at all if I'm not mistaken) in a live action feature Batman film. And he was a scary, even realistic son of a bitch.

I firmly stand by my original comment, Batman Begins was better.

They're very different movies and I love them almost equally (though I lean towards TDK.) Batman Begins is the story of Bruce becoming the monster, as Alfred called it, and likewise had less a focus on villains as they were secondary to that story. The Dark Knight is his story AS Batman. He's Batman for the whole film and we see little of him as Bruce. TDKR is bringing back The Batman and the monster sacrificing himself so Bruce could have another chance.

The Rick
October 6th, 2013, 1:50 PM
funniest thing I've seen on SNL in a while

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik1bdoufPt0

Mik
October 6th, 2013, 1:58 PM
Best Batman Movie. Curious to see where they'd fall.

...Actually, Best Superhero Movie could prove interesting.

Why has this not been done yet?

G-Fresh
October 6th, 2013, 2:02 PM
funniest thing I've seen on SNL in a while

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik1bdoufPt0

That shit is hella gay. As is SNL.

Miley should really be doing porn at this point.

Mark Hammer
October 6th, 2013, 3:10 PM
I love SNL but Miley Cyrus, per usual, was very hard to watch. I get that she's the talk of the pop culture world atm, for whatever reason, but imo casting her as the host last night was a poor choice.

Fro
October 6th, 2013, 3:15 PM
Whether you liked the episode or not, casting her was a slam dunk in terms of what they look for in a host. As you said she's the "it girl" of the moment, everyone's talking about her, and on top of that she has an acting background.

G-Fresh
October 6th, 2013, 3:18 PM
Ain't nobody give a fuck about her acting.

Bill Casey
October 7th, 2013, 10:52 PM
Best known sketches: Jeopardy, Inside the Actors Studio, Spartan Cheerleaders, Blue Φyster Cult, Morning Latte, Music Teachers, Bill Brasky
Best known impressions: George Bush Jr, Harry Caray, Robert Goulet, James Lipton, Alex Trebek, Saddam Hussein

I can't believe you left Janet Reno and The Roxbury Guys off that...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2s8x5XhCGA

Fro
October 7th, 2013, 11:05 PM
A Night at the Roxbury was such a great film, too

Bill Casey
October 7th, 2013, 11:37 PM
There were a lot of great Will Ferrell sketches...
The one where he works as a cat toy tester, the one where his kid won't get off the shed, the one where he's in a hot tub and Jim Carrey's the lifeguard, the one where he and Rachel Dratch are professors in love, the one where he's a homeless nude male model, the dinner table sketch, the one after 9/11 where he abuses the call to show your patriotism, the one where he's running against someone in an election on a desert island...

mth
October 8th, 2013, 12:12 AM
Haven't watched SNL in years but gave it a look 'cuz Miley was on and I was pleasantly surprised. When did SNl get funny again?

Fro
October 29th, 2013, 9:33 PM
Ah man I'm currently watching this most recent episode with Edward Norton and it's great. The Wes Anderson sketch has me dying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSEzGDzZ1dY

virms
October 29th, 2013, 9:38 PM
Been meaning to download some of this season. Heard there were a few new writers and that thus far things have been good.

Fro
October 29th, 2013, 9:48 PM
Start with this one. I still haven't gotten to weekend update but of the first 5 or 6 sketches most of them are good.

The Rick
October 29th, 2013, 11:08 PM
As much as people liked Bill Hader, Jason Sudeikis, and Fred Armisen, I think they brought down the show. For me at least, the show has been unwatchable for some time. I watched these new shows after the departures, and I have been pleasantly surprised.

Atty
October 30th, 2013, 1:27 AM
Sudakis is a marvelous human. Anyone who could be inside Olivia Wilde is to be revered.

Fro
December 9th, 2013, 2:27 PM
ahaha I love that they brought back the Bill Brasky skit this week.

Bill Brasky's colonoscopy tape got higher ratings than How I Met Your Mother.

Dream-Evil
December 9th, 2013, 8:31 PM
Really looking forward to the next two weeks. John Goodman/Kings of Leon and Jimmy Fallon/Justin Timberlake. A shame they probably won't do the Barry Gibb Talk Show with what Barry being the only Bee Gee left. And hopefully they bring back Stefon for the last WU before Christmas.

virms
December 18th, 2013, 1:26 AM
I absolutely love Cecily Strong. She is my new celebrity crush. So so beautiful.

Fro
December 18th, 2013, 6:51 PM
She's pretty cute but she's no Tina Fey, in either hotness or funniness. I'm a little worried about when Seth leaves and she has to handle Weekend Update on her own. She's not quite there yet. Plus her being the anchor takes away her best character, the girl at a party you wish you hadn't started a conversation with. They should work that character back into sketches.

virms
December 19th, 2013, 1:55 AM
No, Fro.

http://voices.suntimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Screen-Shot-2013-12-05-at-5.45.30-PM.png

Fro
December 19th, 2013, 10:25 AM
A solid 8. But hotter than Tina Fey in her prime?

http://comediva.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/AmyPoehlerTinaFeyLaughingGif.gif

I would actually go so far to say Tina Fey in her 40s puts her to shame

virms
December 19th, 2013, 10:32 AM
you must have a nerd fetish

Fro
December 19th, 2013, 11:01 AM
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view3/1517447/tina-fey-self-five-o.gif

The glasses and the dorkiness are part of it, plus comedic chops are a big turn on and Tina is unmatched by just about anyone in that regard, but in terms of pure physical attributes I'd say Tina has both a nicer face and better body. Tina has a nice petite figure while Strong has broad man-like shoulders.

I'm not trying to rag on Strong though cuz I do adore her but the bar has been set high and she falls short of it.

Mark Hammer
December 19th, 2013, 11:02 AM
I'm with Fro on this one. Tina Fey is the hottest female castmate in SNL history.

The Rogerer
December 19th, 2013, 11:07 AM
Tina Fey has *it*

Fro
February 15th, 2015, 4:42 PM
So tonight is the 40 Year Anniversary special. I'm not entirely sure what the format is going to be tbh but the amount of appearances is unreal:

Fred Armisen
Dan Aykroyd
Alec Baldwin
Jim Carrey
Dana Carvey
Chevy Chase
Dane Cook
Bradley Cooper
Billy Crystal
Jane Curtin
Miley Cyrus
Robert De Niro
Jimmy Fallon
Will Ferrell
Tina Fey
James Franco
Will Forte
Zach Galifianakis
Ana Gasteyer
Bill Hader
Jon Hamm
Tom Hanks
Derek Jeter
Norm Macdonald
Peyton Manning
Steve Martin
Melissa McCarthy
Paul McCartney
Tim Meadows
Seth Meyers
Garrett Morris
Eddie Murphy
Bill Murray
Mike Myers
Kevin Nealon
Laraine Newman
Jack Nicholson
Edward Norton
Joe Piscopo
Amy Poehler
Colin Quinn
Chris Rock
Paul Rudd
Maya Rudolph
Andy Samberg
Adam Sandler
Jerry Seinfeld
Molly Shannon
Martin Short
Paul Simon
David Spade
Emma Stone
Jason Sudeikis
Taylor Swift
Justin Timberlake
Christopher Walken
Kerry Washington
Kanye West
Betty White
Kristen Wiig

Rancid_Planet
February 15th, 2015, 5:39 PM
I'm excited about this as well. But I'll probably have to dvr it. Too many shows on tonight for me.

Also you guys did a good job on the list. Wish I'd been a part of it.

Beer-Belly
February 15th, 2015, 9:28 PM
I wonder if Conan and Bob Odenkirk are there.

Also, the new SNL app looks phenomenal, but it's only for iOS at the moment.

TimeSplitter
February 15th, 2015, 9:48 PM
This is awesome I'll watch walking dead tomorrow. This is historic

Beer-Belly
February 15th, 2015, 9:54 PM
I'm hoping for a Wayne's World sketch.

Also, I'm hoping they cloned Chris Farley for a surprise appearance.

Rancid_Planet
February 15th, 2015, 9:56 PM
Kevin Farley should stand in for him. He's hilarious.

Beer-Belly
February 15th, 2015, 10:01 PM
Kevin Farley should stand in for him. He's hilarious.

It'd probably confuse the audience.

Hard to imagine a "Da Bears" sketch without the guy.

VanillaJello
February 15th, 2015, 10:01 PM
The audition tapes were amazing.

How did Carey not get the job with nuclear Elvis?

Beer-Belly
February 15th, 2015, 10:03 PM
I thought the same thing. Carrey's career would have skyrocketed much faster if he'd been cast.

Fro
February 15th, 2015, 10:51 PM
I'm dying at this whole musical segment hosted by Martin Short and Beyonce

Beer-Belly
February 15th, 2015, 11:03 PM
Did Eddie fuck that up or was it the production crew? Odd.

Fro
February 15th, 2015, 11:05 PM
I don't know but either way I wish he would have done something funny or at least said something meaningful. Chris Rock's tribute to him was great though.

Beer-Belly
February 15th, 2015, 11:08 PM
Hopefully he'll be involved in a sketch later on.

Beer-Belly
February 15th, 2015, 11:09 PM
John Cena made the cut.

Actually all the WWF guys made the cut.

Beer-Belly
February 15th, 2015, 11:26 PM
Was that Miley Cyrus musical number really necessary?

Beer-Belly
February 16th, 2015, 12:09 AM
I was hoping they'd integrate "Don't Look Back in Anger" into the "In Memoriam" segment. Nice touch.

Also, poor Jon Lovitz.