PDA

View Full Version : Anime

Fanny
February 22nd, 2012, 10:40 AM
I couldn't find a thread for it so thought I'd start one. Mrs. Fanny is a huge fan of Anime, and until recently I enjoyed just lazing on the couch of a Sunday afternoon hearing it on in the background - I got really invested in the style, dialogue and beauty of films like Spirited away.

It's been a while since we've watched anything, so I popped out today and bought feature film Arriety (Japanese Borrowers, I think) and the first Eden of the East DVD, a conspiracy series.

Any other suggestions for good films or series? I'll report back on my thoughts of the two I bought today, but thought I'd open it up for suggestions and potentially even reviews

Alf
February 22nd, 2012, 10:46 AM
Akira

Cewsh
February 22nd, 2012, 12:07 PM
Anything by the studio that made Spirited Away is mindfuckingly stupendous.

William
February 22nd, 2012, 2:00 PM
Anything by the studio that made Spirited Away is mindfuckingly stupendous.

Studio Ghibli. I agree with Cewsh. I think my favorite of the lot though is Howl's Moving Castle. I managed to get my ex into anime by forcing her to watch that one.

=================

As far as recommendations go, depends on what genre(s) you would go for. You know, I started making a long-winded post with a bunch of recommendations until I thought of one very important question to ask beforehand - You want only recommendations with English audio/No subtitles, correct? And if you don't mind subtitles, do you want only DVDs that you can buy with subs or it doesn't matter if it's online streams of unlicensed material? Some of the major anime distributors still keep streams of their licensed stuff up as well, if you can't manage to find a DVD for sale.

I'll still post a few English-dubbed recommendations. I just personally dislike dubs.

King of Thorn - One of my favorite, if not my favorite, anime movies. There is a lot of blood and violence, so if you're not into that, then avoid this. You may also get a bit confused while watching it, but everything is explained near the end of the movie. The ending wasn't what I expected either.

Plot Summary: Medusa Virus, a sickness that turns it's victims to stone, begins to ravage the people of Earth. In a desperate attempt to save humanity's future, a select group are chosen for the only cure: cryogenic sleep for many years into the future. The groups are chosen and put to sleep, only to wake-up early to a nightmare: freakish creatures are destroying the cryo facility that the chosen survivors have awoken in. Without knowing what these creatures are, why they are being attacked, or even the condition of mankind, the remnants of civilization must band together and fight these monsters in order to survive and escape the Cryogenics facility in an attempt to discover what exactly has happened to the Earth since they entered their exclusive slumber.

http://youtu.be/zx43rP4G70g

---

Death Note - I prefer the manga over the anime series, personally. There's also 3 live-action movies based off of this, if you get interested in this. This series is more of a... psychological cat-and-mouse type deal than anything with a bit of a supernatural tone thrown in.

Plot Summary: Yagami Light is an ace student with great prospects, who's bored out of his mind. One day he finds the "Death Note": a notebook from the realm of the Death Gods, with the power to kill people in any way he desires. With the Death Note in hand, Light decides to create his perfect world, without crime or criminals. However, when criminals start dropping dead one by one, the authorites send the legendary detective L to track down the killer, and a battle of wits, deception and logic ensues...

Death Note Anime Trailer - YouTube

---

Code Geass - I generally dislike series that involve mechas. Just not my cup of tea. This was one of the few exceptions.

Plot Summary: The Empire of Britannia has invaded Japan using giant robot weapons called Knightmare Frames. Japan is now referred to as Area 11, and its people the 11's. A Britannian who was living in Japan at the time, Lelouch, vowed to his Japanese friend Suzaku that he'd destroy Britannia. Years later, Lelouch is in high school, but regularly skips out of school to go play chess and gamble on himself. One day, he stumbles on terrorists 11's who've stolen a military secret and is caught by a member of the Britannian task force sent after them, who is Suzaku. As the rest of the squad arrives, Suzaku is shot for disobeying orders, while the military secret, a young girl, gives Lelouch the power of Geass, which makes anyone obey any order. While Suzaku is secretly made the pilot of Britannia's brand new prototype Knightmare, Lancelot, Lelouch becomes the masked Zero to lead the rebellion to destroy Britannia once and for all.

Code Geass Trailer - YouTube

---

Gantz - I'm getting lazy now. Uh, the blood and violence. Way worse than King of Thorn. Exploding body parts, the works. Has nudity too. So if you're avoiding that stuff, skip. It's interesting though. Spawned 2 live-action movies. Not sure if those are in English yet or not though.

Plot Summary: Kei Kurono is a typical high school student in a selfish world, not caring about anyone other than himself. However when, by chance, he was forced to help out his childhood friend, Katou Masaru, rescue a drunkard who fell into subway tracks, both he and Katou were killed... Or not. After being run over by the train, they were suddenly teleported to an enclosed apartment with others who recently died. And now their lives are controlled by a mysterious black ball inside the apartment called GANTZ, and they are forced to participate in a "game" of unprecedented danger and horror.

Gantz Official Trailer - YouTube

---

Casshern SINS - Just finished this series not even a week ago after watching the live-action film. I think the ORIGINAL series came out in the early 70s or so and from what I read inspired a lot of the concepts of the Mega Man video game series, particularly Mega Man X. This is basically a more modern reboot of that series, if I'm not mistaken.

Plot Summary: After the murder of Luna, the robot society that rules the planet starts to rust and decay. Death and despair spread through the land like wildfire. The only one unaffected by the affliction that becomes known as "The Ruin" is Luna's assassin, Casshern. Unable to remember if he really triggered this capital sin against the entire mechanized civilization, Casshern embarks on a journey to unravel the mystery that connects him, Luna, and the plague.

Casshern SINS - Parts 1 & 2 on DVD & Blu-ray 8/17/10 - Anime Trailer - YouTube

---

Okay, getting long and getting tired of typing so I'll just list a few more and you can just look them up and such if you wish to do so...

Fairy Tail - Not as serious as the other ones listed.
Guilty Crown - Currently watching this one. One of the best, if not the best, of 2012. However, the DVD release is scheduled for later this year as it's still airing in Japanese and English.
Soul Eater - Another one that's more lighthearted/comedic.
D.Gray Man

The Doc
February 22nd, 2012, 2:30 PM
As much as I like Miyazaki I think he just takes the same story and changes the circumstances and we buy it because he's REALLY REALLY good at it. At some point though you gotta call someone on the fact that Goku, Naruto and Ichigo are all terribly similar charachters. However he's got a movie in theatres right now, the Secret World of something. Go watch it.

G-Fresh
February 22nd, 2012, 3:10 PM
Anime gets gay with kids.

Beer-Belly
February 23rd, 2012, 6:45 PM
Anime gets gay with kids.

Nah, you just have to find the good stuff.

Princess Mononoke and Howl's Moving Castle are my favorites as far as Studio Ghibli. The America

Akira is breathtaking. Everyone should at least see Akira.

As far as TV shows go, Cowboy Bebop is really good.

Cewsh
February 23rd, 2012, 7:22 PM
Love me some Cowboy Bebop.

I got really into the first run of Fullmetal Alchemist, but they remade it 8,000 times shittier and it wasn't for everyone to begin with.

Version 6
February 23rd, 2012, 7:38 PM
An Anime Thread... A surefire way to identify forum peadophiles.

The Doc
February 23rd, 2012, 9:11 PM
I dunno about Akira. I've always hated the fuck out of that movie. The only reason I would recommend it is because it's one of the first major ones and we probably wouldn't have half the stuff we do have if that hadn't been the sucess that it was.

Also hell yeah to Death Note. It's probably the best thing I've seen in years.

William
February 23rd, 2012, 9:27 PM
I own Akira but still haven't really watched it. Before I got into anime, I had went over to a friend's house and he tried to get me to watch it but I just couldn't get into it. Also tried to get me to watch Dragonball/Z/GT but back then I thought anime was stupid and was ignorant like a few of the idiots that posted in this thread. [Lol.] Then I managed to flip through the channels one night and caught "Paranoia Agent" on. Decided to watch it out of boredom and ended up liking it. First series I actually watched all the way through. Got into Full Metal Alchemist too but ended up dropping that one once I found better stuff to watch. Still haven't finished that series to this day.

I still dislike the entire Dragonball franchise though. Right now I'm mainly focusing on watching a lot of the 70s - Early 90s anime stuff like Fist of the North Star, so I'm sure I'll end up giving Akira another try soon.

Jimmy Zero
February 23rd, 2012, 9:31 PM
I have a weird relationship with Anime. I feel like, stylistically, it's something I should love, but a lot of the subject matter I just find off putting and bizarre. I'm not into the monsters and shit. And often times I really don't like the more abstract ways a lot of the stories seem to unfold.

I do like Akira, but I don't think it's as good as it's reputation would lead you to believe. Princess Mononoke is incredible.

I like Samurai Champloo. I'd like to watch more anime like that. The other day I woke up and some random cable channel I didn't know I had called G4 was playing this Wolverine anime. It was pretty cool, though they really have a hard on for Omega Red. He's in every episode I've seen.

G-Fresh
February 23rd, 2012, 9:36 PM
Nah, you just have to find the good stuff.

Robotech/Macross is really the only anime I can dig on.

The Doc
February 23rd, 2012, 10:17 PM
If you like it style wise you should be able to find something you like. Especially if you're unlike me and ready and willing to read your cartoons. I'm that guy who prefers a sub to a dub in 90% of cases. I don't need to know exactly what Naruto said. As long as I get the gist of it I'm cool. Death Note on the other hand you gotta go with a sub because that story is so nuanced that anything lost in translation can really confuse you down the road.

Jimmy Zero
February 23rd, 2012, 10:27 PM
Oh man, fuck that bull shit. My cartoons better be dubbed, or I'm not likely to watch. It's a fucking cartoon, what do I need subtitles for?

Does anyone else not like Ghost in the Shell? I might have to give that one another try because I've heard from a ton of people that it's great, but I couldn't even get through it.

Cewsh
February 23rd, 2012, 10:48 PM
I've tried a million times with Ghost in the Shell, and while its pretty enough looking and the music is fucking spectacular, there's just nothing to the show. Its endless weird jargon and robot brooding.

The Doc
February 24th, 2012, 3:11 PM
Firstly got a few words mixed. I meant I prefer an english dub to subtitles. As Jimmy said it's a fucking cartoon what do I need subtitles for? Though my hatred for subtitles flows over into live action as well. And double down for shows like 24 when the various (mostly Arabic but occasionally Chinese as well) were subtitled sometimes but not all the time. You could literally tell that they were doing something sinister because they had apparently walked off screen and slapped the guy who writes the sub-titles. If I wanted to read a book I'd fucking pick one up.

I'm not a huge fan of Ghost in the Shell. I don't have anything against it I'm simply not tripping over myself for more of it. Anybody who's even dabbled in World of Warcraft or similar MMORPGs should at least give .hack//sign a chance. It's pretty good.

As a general rule if you're "new" to anime don't watch anything with more than 50 episodes and honestly stick to the 25-40 limit. Either that or stick to movies.

Cewsh
February 24th, 2012, 3:16 PM
Why?

Fanny
February 25th, 2012, 8:57 AM
I really don't get sub-title haters. What about a film like Amelie? Surely the French is an integral part in setting the tone and gorgeous atmosphere of that film, especially through the narrator. Off-topic, I know, but this really gets my goat. To draw a comparison in literature, I'm currently learning/improving my French so that I can read L'Entranger (among other Camu pieces) in the original, untranslated text - you can tell while reading it in English that almost every aspect of the novel would be amplified when read as it was intended.

That's obviously a far more practical crossover/purpose for not getting irked by other-language media, but there's always something lost in translation and I will rarely if ever choose dubbed over original soundtrack - the inflections, tone and emphases are, for the most part, invariably lost otherwise

Pete Cash
February 25th, 2012, 9:19 AM
that post made my eyes roll so hard that they fell out of my skull leaving me blind.

camus or any author being translated back into english loses the craft of writing. you can get some absolutely stinkers of translations. your gay pokemons will not lose anything with an english dub.

Fanny
February 25th, 2012, 9:23 AM
yeah I was more talking about movies, really, hence reference to having gone OT with reference to Amelie, the example I quoted, since doct seems to have a big issue with that as well. I really couldn't imagine watching an English dub of that purely because of how much the language contributes to the overall piece, and the comparison I was drawing to that was somewhere else where language obviously contributes to the overall piece, albeit, as I said (again... :rolleyes: ) in a far more practical sense than on-screen media. Hope your eyes are ok mate

Pete Cash
February 25th, 2012, 9:33 AM
Yes I will watch a live action film with the subtitles. Reading does not scare me. Well it didn't before I lost my eyes.

A cartoon about robots fighting I think i would just go the dubbed version because why does it matter in a cartoon. A voice artist is a voice artist. Unless you think the translation would be done poorly than what the fuck are you going to be reading down the bottom. A live action film dubbed is weird a cartoon dubbed how would you realistically know

Fanny
February 25th, 2012, 9:36 AM
you wouldn't, really. Was just picking up on the reference he made to live action.

BBF
February 25th, 2012, 9:50 AM
Something to do with bread. I think it was called Japan. Only one I've ever watched and it was alright.

G-Fresh
February 25th, 2012, 1:03 PM
Fuck subtitles. American English is the only language that matters.

Cewsh
February 25th, 2012, 1:08 PM
Most of the bigger anime series do a good job dubbing anyway, so you'd really never know it wasn't meant to be that way. No real sense in being concerned about it.

The Doc
February 25th, 2012, 2:51 PM
Why what Cewsh?

If you're asking why I set an episode limit it's because Anime has a different overall philosophy than America when it comes to story telling. Anime's as a rule have a beginning a middle and an end. It's entirely different from American cartoons (and television in general) each season of 24 for example has an arc and there is/was a very loose connection between several seasons but it wasn't one story. It was eight stories about the same guy. Batman the Animated Series wasn't a story. It was a few dozen stories. (If you disagree pop in any random episode and ask yourself is everything you need to understand the story in the episode itself) Americans pretty much just run any given series until nobody is watching it anymore and it get cancelled. The Japanese tell a story and at the end it's just over. You have exceptions to that rule. Dragonball, Naruto, Bleach, Sailor Moon. But these are the exceptions that prove the rule, not the rule itself. If the Japanese like a story you're more likely to see spin offs and sequel series. For an example google Gundam. There are just off the top of my head three Gundam animes and the only thing they really have in common is they are about giant robots. It's not the same cast or children of the old cast it's just like Final Fantasy.

If you're asking why I don't like subtitles I think Pete Cash summed it up nicely. Though again I'll avoid in general live action subs in general as well. Having to read Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon only accomplished me missing some quality action while I tried to keep up with their witty banter. It's not that reading scares me or annoys me. It's that if I'm watching television I'm watching television and almost literally by definition not reading. It's the same way I'd feel if I had to do the math when playing chess.

It's not really a matter of not knowing that a given Anime wasn't originally english for a dub it's that sometimes the nuance can be lost in translation. Though I heavily suspect that a lot of that is lost in the sub anyway. I think a lot of the sub vs dub rivalry comes from that same books vs movies mentality that I'm fairly sure is simply people wanting to be pretentious.

thetony
February 25th, 2012, 3:01 PM
When it comes to anime, I prefer subtitled over dubbed. The fight scenes are incomparable and the voice-over actors/actresses are awful.

My friends and I were into anime/manga during our high school years. Really got into Bleach, Death Note, Soul Eater, Vagabond, Full Metal Alchemist. I'm much more into reading manga, though.

When it comes to television and films, I sometimes find it helpful using subtitles to pick up the little plot points that you have may missed watching through the first time. Especially when watching BBC. Love the British accent, but god damn it's hard to follow at times.

Matthew
February 25th, 2012, 3:33 PM
i remember watching some movie about some kid who ended up working at a big temple thing. i remembered enjoying it late at night. really descriptive, i know.

saw the wolverine thing last night that jimmy z was talking about. seemed decent.

Cewsh
February 25th, 2012, 4:02 PM
Why what Cewsh?

If you're asking why I set an episode limit it's because Anime has a different overall philosophy than America when it comes to story telling. Anime's as a rule have a beginning a middle and an end. It's entirely different from American cartoons (and television in general) each season of 24 for example has an arc and there is/was a very loose connection between several seasons but it wasn't one story. It was eight stories about the same guy. Batman the Animated Series wasn't a story. It was a few dozen stories. (If you disagree pop in any random episode and ask yourself is everything you need to understand the story in the episode itself) Americans pretty much just run any given series until nobody is watching it anymore and it get cancelled. The Japanese tell a story and at the end it's just over. You have exceptions to that rule. Dragonball, Naruto, Bleach, Sailor Moon. But these are the exceptions that prove the rule, not the rule itself. If the Japanese like a story you're more likely to see spin offs and sequel series. For an example google Gundam. There are just off the top of my head three Gundam animes and the only thing they really have in common is they are about giant robots. It's not the same cast or children of the old cast it's just like Final Fantasy.

What does any that have to do with new watchers not being able to enjoy those shows? Making some kind of random blanket statements about Americans as a whole there.

The Doc
February 25th, 2012, 4:52 PM
The reason I would give is two fold. Firstly if you aren't already an anime fan there is probably a reason for that. It's not like you're not aware of Dragonball and Sailor Moon at the least and probably Naruto and Speed Racer as well. The longer a series gets in an anime in particular but really in any show the harder it is to figure out the story line since most animes are still a single story. It's also worth noting that since most anime have a source manga they come from the longer they are the more likely they are to have a lot of filler since they have to let the manga dictate the story.

Also I think it's a legit observation of the American culture as a whole that we entertain ourselves in a different way. As much money as Dragonball made/makes aside from an occasional additional story it's been over for years. No new stories, no retelling nothing new starring Goku. Compare that to Superman, Batman, Wolverine or Captain America. Instead of making new charachters and telling new stories we hit the reset button and start over.

Ultimately to each their own, my advice however is that if you're new pick something with less than 50 episodes and while I'm at it I'm gonna advise you push through I dunno, six or so episodes before you make any real decision. A lot of animes start off really really slow and you might not even know what the story is about for the first dozen episodes or so.

The_Mike
February 25th, 2012, 4:53 PM
I am curious how the exceptions prove the rule. America has exceptions too. The Tudors, The Borgias, Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica, The X-Files (originally, at least, it had a five year story arc planned and was only extened under enormous studio pressure, a victim of its own success)... there have been a good number of US or Western made TV shows that have a pre-set beginning, middle and end and do not just run on until they die. If the Americans like a story you'll see spin-offs as well. Star Trek led to TNG, DS9, etc. The X-Files led to Millennium and Lone Gunmen. Babylon 5 had all its TV movies. You can't really say "Japan does it like this... except when it doesn't, and America does it like that... except when it doesn't". It doesn't really say anything.

Cewsh
February 25th, 2012, 5:02 PM
The reason I would give is two fold. Firstly if you aren't already an anime fan there is probably a reason for that. It's not like you're not aware of Dragonball and Sailor Moon at the least and probably Naruto and Speed Racer as well. The longer a series gets in an anime in particular but really in any show the harder it is to figure out the story line since most animes are still a single story. It's also worth noting that since most anime have a source manga they come from the longer they are the more likely they are to have a lot of filler since they have to let the manga dictate the story.

Also I think it's a legit observation of the American culture as a whole that we entertain ourselves in a different way. As much money as Dragonball made/makes aside from an occasional additional story it's been over for years. No new stories, no retelling nothing new starring Goku. Compare that to Superman, Batman, Wolverine or Captain America. Instead of making new charachters and telling new stories we hit the reset button and start over.

Ultimately to each their own, my advice however is that if you're new pick something with less than 50 episodes and while I'm at it I'm gonna advise you push through I dunno, six or so episodes before you make any real decision. A lot of animes start off really really slow and you might not even know what the story is about for the first dozen episodes or so.

I don't mean to be mean, but my eyes glazed over reading that.

None of that means anything.

Hero!
February 25th, 2012, 5:24 PM
Well, I haven't dug anime that hard since I was 15-16, but I have re watched several of my favorites over the last couple years. I'd highly recommend these series':

1. Cowboy Bebop - Tremendous story, brilliant characters, very unique show, and manages to be revered as an all-time great with only 26 episodes to its name.
2. Trigun - Again, only 26 episodes, but one of my all-time favorites. Great story, lots of powerful, emotional stuff, and some wicked awesome gun fights.
3. FLCL - Only SIX episodes, super duper awesome and loved.
4. Full Metal Alchemist - Longer than the others, but such a wonderful story. Great if you're into the whole brotherly bond dealio. Sweet fights too.

Anything else would be well into the 100+ episode territory and, of course, with that, comes a shit ton of boring filler that you'd hate me for making you watch.

And solely for the fact that it's super awesome wicked fun and funny, check out Lupin III.

Hero!
February 25th, 2012, 5:27 PM
Also, screw anime, get into Tokusatsu:

http://www.myremoteradio.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Tokusatsu.jpg

Tainted Eclipse
February 25th, 2012, 11:09 PM
flcl is actually something everyone should watch. its sort of like a dense, symbolic novel and its so good i dont even feel gay using that description for an anime of all things. its probably something you'll have to watch a lot to understand but is entirely worth it. in the entire arena of tv/anime/films/whatever its one of the best things out there.

also used to loved anime in a very nerdy way when i was in middle school etc but haven't been 'into' it in years, but recently watched a series called beck and loved it. its a ton of fun, well done and actually pretty inspirational.

trigun is very good but there's a lot of bullshit you'll have to put up with. too anime-goofy and i can see someone whose not into anime in general just saying fuck this while watching it. but at its best its very good and its philosophical shit is surprisingly well done. and of course cowboy bebop anyone who doesnt like that is just a big faggot and this episode preview is better than probably 90% of full episodes of any other show
http://youtu.be/VVqq3Lyh8UQ?t=24m8s

re miyazaki: been finding his more 'epic' films like spirited away, mononoke etc to pale in comparison to his lighter stuff like porco rosso and castle in the sky, which are probably his two best and some of the best films ive ever seen.

The Doc
February 26th, 2012, 12:21 AM
Where about would you put Howl's Moving Castle?

William
February 26th, 2012, 1:20 AM
Also, screw anime, get into Tokusatsu:

Heh. I usually hide the fact that I'm into Tokusatsu from people due to my age. Just a guilty pleasure I guess. My favorite one is Garo though, which is actually geared towards adults.

---------

As far as the little debate about American cartoons vs Anime... Not to sound rude but if you truly believe that most anime follows a singular story whereas most cartoons do not, then you must not have watched much of either. It's just about the same amount for both. Not to mention all the "filler" episodes of some of the major anime series, which go on for months upon months - those alone have turned me off of watching the series and turned me towards solely reading the manga just to get to the main story. My advice for someone that's new to anime is don't worry about the length of the series. It can be 6, 12, 26, 500 episodes... That really shouldn't matter. Just watch the first episode of a few different things. If it interests you, continue. If not, move on to the next.

---------

And regarding subtitles vs dubbed, I typically prefer subtitles because it isn't the same, at all. 1) Different translations and shit thrown in that wasn't there before in order to make the lip syncing seem more realistic as the asian language requires more words for smaller sentences than English does. Watch the same series [Can do one with Dual-Audio. A few DVDs have this feature.] - once dubbed and once subbed and you'll see a significant difference. 2) Most voice actors are terrible. Voices that don't fit the character, lack of emotion, and so forth. 3) As idiotic as this may sound, I actually watch most of my anime in 2-4x the normal speed. Still know what's going on and I usually slow it down during fight scenes and faster scenes, but it allows me to watch more in a shorter amount of time. A 24-episode series would generally take me around 8 hours to finish in a normal speed, whereas I can finish it in 2 hours otherwise. Can't do that with dubs or else I'll miss what's being said.

Fanny
February 26th, 2012, 1:49 AM
the following week, forums.rajah.com poster William killed his entire family

William
February 26th, 2012, 5:03 AM
the following week, forums.rajah.com poster William killed his entire family

Too late. Their bodies have been in my closet for about 5 months now. :rolleyes:

Hero!
February 26th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Heh. I usually hide the fact that I'm into Tokusatsu from people due to my age. Just a guilty pleasure I guess. My favorite one is Garo though, which is actually geared towards adults.

Garo's alright, but I can't get that into it. I'm mostly into Kamen Rider with a bit of dabbling in Super Sentai, although Sentai drives me up a wall sometimes.

Jimmy Zero
February 26th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Isn't sentai that weirdo tentacle porn shit?

Hero!
February 26th, 2012, 12:37 PM
That's hentai. Sentai means is the show that gets adapted in America as "Power Rangers."

Jimmy Zero
February 26th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Gotcha. Remember Ultra Man? Way better than Power Rangers.

Hero!
February 26th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Ultraman is still kickin' too. I don't watch it, but I've heard tons of good things about the recent series'.

Kev
February 27th, 2012, 1:48 AM
Man, I loved Full Metal Alchemist and Trigun.

Zarius
February 27th, 2012, 2:40 PM
Could someone tell me just what is up with The Guyver? As a kid, it was my favourate Manga and anime.
It's got a massive cult following outside of Japan, but for some reason it's never been that huge a deal over there. A shame too, it ought to be HUGE, it has everything for a Toku fan in animated form.

The Guyver - English Intro - YouTube

Guyver: Dark Hero (1994) - YouTube

Hero!
February 27th, 2012, 4:50 PM
The toku guyver movies are GREAT. The second one, in particular, features lots of Koichi fighting.

UncannyIowan
February 27th, 2012, 5:43 PM
What do you cats think about now that Akira isn't going to be made into a live action movie, BLEACH is on the horizon? I love Bleach, really I have to thank Adult Swim about 8-9 years ago when they started showing the anime stuff that I used to really be into in middle school/early years of high school. Now that my son is getting older and reading Shonen Jump and actual mangas, I try to stay up with the anime he's watching. Black Blood Brothers, Soul Eater(?), Bleach sits on the top of the list though.

NETFLIX is great for anime if you ask me. Every episode of Robotech? That's my shit right there!

Probably the one I'm diggin as much as BLEACH is High School of the Dead. Blood, brains, big titties, hardcore. Still, nothing beats NINJA SCROLL.

The Doc
February 27th, 2012, 6:13 PM
Akira shouldn't be half bad live action. I'm not holding my breath on Bleach though. Despite the fact that Mortal Kombat proved you CAN make a cool movie with people tossing fireballs around all wily nily in the fifteen odd years since nobody else seems to be able to do it. I can't imagine Renji's bankai looking anything but rediculous in live action or hell Ichigo's shikai would probably look more funny than cool. So I think the way I'm feling is uneasy about Bleach.

If they wanna do something live action someone should try Vampire Hunter D that should translate rather well.

Anything by Satoshi Kon tends to be good though you sometimes have to wonder why he did Anime instead of live action.

UncannyIowan
February 28th, 2012, 12:50 PM
I'm a little spent on America's love for vampire movies, unless it's Blade they can fuck off because I haven't seen a good vampire without Blade in it since Interview With A Vampire.

Personally, I think that the Marvel movies and what they pull off with special effects is what gives me hope that this could look really cool. The characters are awesome, the vibe of the show and how intense it is compared to others really stands out. What I don't want to see happen is Dragon Ball, that was horrible.

The Doc
February 28th, 2012, 3:10 PM
Blade 2 was okay at best and if you enjoyed Blade 3 but hated Van Helsing and the Underworld series I must question your logic. Blade 3 was terrible.

Also you didn't like John Carpenter's Vampires? That aside I can't think of any vampire movies that weren't kinda crap though since we're talking anime Vampire Hunder D and Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust are both pretty good, the latter actually wandering into great.

Dragon Ball. . .it's like they fucked up on purpose. There is no way you could fuck up that bad by accident. I mean just from the get go don't they know that Dragon Ball was never particularly popular in the US, or at the least isn't what propelled the series into the juggernaut that it is? Or that Capsule Corps is a silly idea. Or that if you weren't making the entirety of the Dragon Ball story that Bulma and Chi-Chi should probably have been combined with Bulma winning out as the dominate personality? I don't think a twelve year old who's watched half the episodes could have made as many mistakes as they managed. But hey it wasn't Street Fighter or Street Fighter the Legend of Chun Li, or Double Dragon.

UncannyIowan
February 28th, 2012, 6:36 PM
The funny thing is I never watched the show that often in the 90's on Cartoon Network, the only episode I caught all the way through was the episode where they finally defeated Cell...I think. But when I saw the previews for DB all that came to mind was Super Mario Bros. the live action movie.....even though Bob Hoskins was for sure the only choice for Mario, the rest of that movie was fucking whack. Sick of these people thinking they need to put their own spin on something. To me it's like, why the fuck did you even want to do this movie if you're not going to put on film what captured your mind in the books/video game/etc.??

If you're talking about Van Helsing with Hugh Jackman, I don't know if I'd consider that a vamp movie or a straight up monster movie, we can chalk it up as a vampire movie. Blade himself made part 3 watchable, his overly dickish attitude and sweet fight scenes were for sure better than Van Helsing and Vampires by Carpenter. I will say this, From Dusk Till Dawn=great vampire movie, wasn't sure if it came out before or after Interview though.

Beer-Belly
February 28th, 2012, 7:22 PM
I can't imagine a Mario movie working unless it was animated.

The Doc
February 28th, 2012, 7:38 PM
I can't imagine a Mario movie at all. All these years later and RPGs aside (and had the cartoon survived to the modern era I think I might have enjoyed one that followed the RPG and Paper Mario sagas, perhaps with the GBA ones as well) Mario still doesn't really have enough depth for a movie.

A Metroid Anime could have serious possibilities and hell if we can make Ironman believable we could manage Samus in live action if we wanted.

Dusk till Dawn is great, I think it's after Interview. I assume like everybody with a soul you despise Queen of the Damned?

The Rick
April 10th, 2012, 7:50 PM
‘Akira’ superfan builds iconic bike for charity
By A. Diallo Jackson
yahoo link (http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/unplugged/akira-superfan-builds-iconic-bike-charity-000959542.html)
http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/ysZ5l8gmjbu89ANNLJy0Lw--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en-US/blogs/games-us-unplugged/akirabike-630.jpg

Ever thought of taking a rip-roaring road trip to Neo-Tokyo on the back of a futuristic motorcycle?

Inspired by post-apocalyptic anime smash Akira, Japan native Masashi Teshima has done just that, and in the process turned his fan-fueled dreams into a platform for a worthwhile cause or two.

Aboard a life-size replica of the iconic motorcycle ridden by Akira protagonist Shotaro Kaneda, Teshima set out from his hometown of Fukuoka, Japan and rode all the way to Tokyo, raising money for Bokura Company, an organization whose focus is to provide support for childhood autism.

But the giving doesn't stop there.

[Related: Japan's recovery: Tsunami one year later]

The motorcycle, which took Teshima over seven years and 10 million yen ($121,000 USD) to build, is currently on display at the Katsuhiro Otomo GENGA Exhibition, a celebration of original artwork by the acclaimed Akira creator. Proceeds go toward support for relief and rebuilding efforts stemming from the 2011 Tohoku earthquake and tsunami, which devastated large portions of Japan's east coast.

Running from April 9 to May 30, the exhibition gives fans a chance to don Kaneda's red biker gang racing jacket, take pictures, and even sit on the bike -- the only one to receive the official blessing of Otomo himself.

Bert
January 6th, 2014, 3:40 PM
I'm bumping this thread to say everyone should watch Mushishi. I find it hard to get into most anime but this one is so engrossing. I'm also watching the dub and it's really well done. There's a new season starting in April.

Kyle_242
January 6th, 2014, 3:48 PM
I'll second that. I watched about half of the first season a year ago, and was really impressed. I stopped due to time concerns, nothing to do with the actual show, but I really need to go back and finish it.

There needs to be a list of "anime for people who don't like anime". I was big into anime in the 90's, but overdosed on all the awful, awful tropes and hideously generic formulas. But once in awhile one comes along that's very watchable and enjoyable, Mushi-shi is one of those.

From what I've heard, I need to watch Attack on Titan, but looking at images I'm very skeptical.

Bert
February 4th, 2015, 7:22 PM
Yearly bump. Yearly try watching more anime.

I started watching this show Claymore about this girl who's half demon who hunts demons.

I still need to finish Season 1 of Mushishi.

Me and my friends have started watching The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, it's really funny.

We watched Howl's Moving Castle a few weeks ago, I really enjoyed it.

Hero!
February 4th, 2015, 7:29 PM
Been watching some Yu-Gi-Oh Acr-V lately. Easily the best series since the first. Not out on dub yet, but the subs are pretty easily available online.

Close to finishing Attack on Titan. It's taken me forever because each episode feels like it's 34 days long. That's been my biggest issue with this show. The stuff that hits, hits big, but everything in between drags for what feels like forever. This 26-episode series has taken me months to still not be done with.

Recently watched through Full Metal Alchemist again. Even better the third time. Still haven't watched Brotherhood, but people claim it's better than the original and that may be why I've been reluctant to check it out, since I love the original so much.

Hero!
April 15th, 2015, 1:25 PM
Finished Attack on Titan - great series. I hope they get season 2 in the works soon.

Finished FMA and have started on FMA Brotherhood. So far, so good. Some noticeable differences, but nothing worth complaining about. I just hope that it's different enough to validate watching essentially the same show again.

Also started watching Trigun again. No real reason, i just love this series. This is my third or fourth time watching it.

Pablo Diablo
April 15th, 2015, 1:40 PM
FMA Brotherhood is about the same until about midway where brotherhood follows the manga that FMA didn't have. Recently finished up Gurren Lagaan and Steins;Gate. Steins;Gate is pretty damn good. Gurren Lagaan is ok. Maybe a bit above average. Attack on Titan season 2 is coming. But I think the live action stuff for it is coming before.

Hero!
April 15th, 2015, 2:00 PM
The teaser for the live action AoT looks great, I hope it's a success.

I've heard loads of good about Gurren Lagaan so I may put that next on the watch list. Is it on Netflix?

Pablo Diablo
April 15th, 2015, 7:33 PM
I don't think so, but it is on crunchyroll.

Bert
April 15th, 2015, 8:04 PM
It might not be on America's Hat's Netflix but it is on REAL AMERICAN NETFLIX.

Pablo Diablo
April 15th, 2015, 10:28 PM
I didn't check before I posted, it is also on Canadian netflix.

The Doc
April 18th, 2015, 1:30 PM
I recently tore through Psycho Pass. It's basically Minority Report.

Nash Diesel
March 8th, 2016, 1:50 PM
Does anyone watch Parasyte on Toonami? I'm addicted to this show, very cool, interesting, bloody, solid theme song, very different from what I'm used to watching in terms of "anime".

Bill Casey
March 8th, 2016, 3:45 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJzEW_eE1G0

Psycho666Soldier
March 8th, 2016, 4:03 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJzEW_eE1G0

This is a great movie. Used to have it on my computer. Have only seen it once, but I really liked it. Some good mind-fuck elements.

The Doc
March 10th, 2016, 6:56 PM
Does anyone watch Parasyte on Toonami? I'm addicted to this show, very cool, interesting, bloody, solid theme song, very different from what I'm used to watching in terms of "anime".

Yep. I occasionally Shiniji to be baffling though. Like when he's ready to reveal his powers to that chick who can sense him but Migi is asleep. The thing is the world of Parasyte is a normal universe minus parasytes. Shiniji has like a twenty foot vert with or without Migi at this point. Remember the sea wall? I'm pretty sure that chick would have believe him if he'd jumped to the second story of that building.

Personally I was a huge fan of Michiko and Hachin on Toonami. I get plenty of high octane anime when I'm ready to look around for it. If I were going to make a recomendation to the (and it's on netflix) is The Devil is a Parttimer. Shit is hilarious. It follows the Devil and his second in command as they get stuck in the human world and have to adjust. He ends up working at McDonalds and hilarity ensues. It's only like thirteen episodes which has been part of my netflix goal. To tear through all the short ones since my job has been eating up too much time for me to really dedicate to getting through another long runner soon.

Anaconda Sniper
March 10th, 2016, 9:47 PM
I finished up one punch man a week or so ago and I loved it. Up there as one of my favs with attack on titan and tokyo ghoul.

Bill Casey
March 10th, 2016, 10:11 PM
Anyone ever heard of Ghost Stories?

Basically, the anime was so bad noone gave a flying fuck about the integrity of the English dub of it, so the studio in charge just rewrote and adlibbed whatever they wanted...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxJ4VWoeOzs

Pablo Diablo
March 11th, 2016, 12:02 AM
One Punch Man is great because of how it just attacks so many anime tropes.

Attack on Titan is a show that started great and then got really slow. Still looking forward to the next season mind.

Psycho666Soldier
March 11th, 2016, 12:59 AM
Anyone ever heard of Ghost Stories?

Basically, the anime was so bad noone gave a flying fuck about the integrity of the English dub of it, so the studio in charge just rewrote and adlibbed whatever they wanted...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxJ4VWoeOzs

A friend of mine actually lent me the first two DVDs of this show to check out. I only watched the first episode, but the English dub is ridiculous. And the Japanese Sub is boring. I plan on getting on with it eventually.

And good shout, Doc, on The Devil is a Part-Timer. That show has such a ridiculous premise. I got about 10 episodes in and lost Netflix access for a bit. Still need to go through it again and finish.

Bill Casey
March 11th, 2016, 1:30 AM
A friend of mine actually lent me the first two DVDs of this show to check out. I only watched the first episode, but the English dub is ridiculous. And the Japanese Sub is boring. I plan on getting on with it eventually.
The ridiculous dub done by juvenile people dicking around with a bad anime is the only reason to ever watch it...

Hero!
March 11th, 2016, 9:37 AM
One Punch Man is great because of how it just attacks so many anime tropes.

Attack on Titan is a show that started great and then got really slow. Still looking forward to the next season mind.

Yeah, it gets slow in the middle, but picks up again right at the end. Definitely stoked for season 2.

I gotta check out one punch man. It's all I see anyone talking about anymore. Besides, this glorious shit, that is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJNHrX_kxjk

Absolutely ridiculous show. love me some yokai Watch right now.

Nash Diesel
March 16th, 2016, 4:59 PM
What's cool is that my 5 year old daughter is super into anime. And I'm going to also include shows like Teen Titans Go and the Batman cartoons in that conversation but she's really into a show on Netflix called Glitter Force. You can thank her 2 older brothers who are into shows like Bleach, Naruto, DBZ, Black Butler, but Zoey gets into weird shit like Venus v. VIrus which she watches on Youtube. She needs me to help her though because she can barely read and doesn't understand the fact that you have look for English Dubs as she tends to find dubs of Venus v. Virus that are in German lol.

Netflix just added a bunch of Batman animated movies/shows and we're now watching The Batman from 2007 where they've tweaked the looks of a lot of villains. Pretty rad.

Hero!
March 16th, 2016, 5:23 PM
Show her Yokai Watch. She will love it.

Bill Casey
March 16th, 2016, 7:17 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJNHrX_kxjk

Absolutely ridiculous show. love me some yokai Watch right now.
Why is there a dancing sperm?

Hero!
November 16th, 2016, 12:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RExBId9bsvg&feature=youtu.be

live action FMA teaser!

Nash Diesel
November 16th, 2016, 12:43 PM
Have any of you read any of the LOW graphic novels? I would love to see that put into an anime series.

Hero!
February 24th, 2017, 10:39 AM
http://i.imgur.com/a0r1Nak.jpg

Oy, Alphonse looking great.

Psycho666Soldier
February 24th, 2017, 1:48 PM
http://i.imgur.com/a0r1Nak.jpg

Oy, Alphonse looking great.

Holy shit, YES! That looks incredible!

Hero!
February 23rd, 2018, 10:07 AM
FMA live action movie was solid. Lots of people whining about it online, but I enjoyed it. It's on netflix, so go watch it, nerds.

Gonna watch all of brotherhood now because fuck it yo.

Nash Diesel
February 23rd, 2018, 11:30 AM
FMA live action movie was solid. Lots of people whining about it online, but I enjoyed it. It's on netflix, so go watch it, nerds.

Gonna watch all of brotherhood now because fuck it yo.

I never really got into FMA but my youngest son is really into it so we'll be watching this over the weekend.

Side bar: You into Ninja Scroll?

Pablo Diablo
February 23rd, 2018, 11:41 AM
Fma brotherhood is great.

Psycho666Soldier
February 26th, 2018, 1:12 PM
I never really got into FMA but my youngest son is really into it so we'll be watching this over the weekend.

Side bar: You into Ninja Scroll?

Ninja Scroll is the shit. I remember how legendary it was when I was a kid. It was one of those movies anyone I knew into anime would mention. I finally saw it for the first time a year ago, and I really missed out. It still holds up to this day with the story and animation. Back when almost every anime film was great.

Nash Diesel
February 26th, 2018, 1:34 PM
Ninja Scroll is the shit. I remember how legendary it was when I was a kid. It was one of those movies anyone I knew into anime would mention. I finally saw it for the first time a year ago, and I really missed out. It still holds up to this day with the story and animation. Back when almost every anime film was great.

I remember when I was super young that the go to rentals for anime were Ninja Scroll and Robotech. My only memory of kindergarten was watching Robotech one day in class. When I first signed up for Netflix the first thing I did was watch probably 90% of the Robotech series.

Ninja Scroll is incredible. Both of my sons are into anime like crazy and when each turned 13-14 I finally watched it with them. Some of those scenes are a little questionable haha. But they were so used to basically whatever Cartoon Network showed (Bleach, Dragon Ball, etc.) they didn't know about this more mature stuff. They constantly want me to get the Anime Network but we have so many of these "networks" I'm taking a step back on that one for now.

Fanny
March 2nd, 2018, 6:35 PM
I watched that Netflix original Godzilla anime last night. It was beautifully animated and bordered on a cracking original take on things, but wasn't half fucking bleak by the time the credits rolled. I did an audible big sad sigh. 5 stars some funny bits.

thetony
March 3rd, 2018, 1:19 AM
An anime on Netflix that I don't hear a lot of people talking about at all is 'Ajin'. Incredible unique art direction. I'm hoping a second season comes out soon.

I need to give Devilman Crybaby another chance. I quit on it after three episodes or so.

Soul Eater is also hella good. I've been slaving through One Piece manga version for the past year or so. Reading a few chapters each night before bed. It's good.

son_of_foley
March 3rd, 2018, 2:28 PM
Attack on titan is my jam

mr sabu
March 3rd, 2018, 11:27 PM
gonna start looking into someone of those people have posted..

need to watch more then, dragonball, one piece and jojo