lotjx
December 22nd, 2011, 4:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_luIM6xaIck

G-Fresh
December 22nd, 2011, 4:11 PM
Alien was a pretty good documentary.

Beefy
December 22nd, 2011, 6:41 PM
Just saw that. I've been keeping an eye on this for a while. I reckon this will be amazing.

Delta Devil
December 22nd, 2011, 6:42 PM
Looks beautiful.

MikeHunt
December 22nd, 2011, 7:00 PM
how is it unoffical?

Guy
December 22nd, 2011, 7:04 PM
Because there are no Aliens in it.

Guy
December 22nd, 2011, 7:05 PM
Well...there could be aliens I guess, I haven't read into specific plot detail, but there are definitely no Xenomorphs/Alien eggs/Facehugers/creatures from past 'Alien' movies in it.

Beefy
December 22nd, 2011, 7:06 PM
I think because Ridley Scott never really set out to make an Alien Prequel. This isn't (from the little that's been stated in public) the story of the Aliens. It's the story of the space jockey. Or at least that's what this film started life as.

Beefy
December 22nd, 2011, 7:07 PM
Well...there could be aliens I guess, I haven't read into specific plot detail, but there are definitely no Xenomorphs/Alien eggs/Facehugers/creatures from past 'Alien' movies in it.

I don't think that's true. There certainly looked like there were eggs in that trailer.

MikeHunt
December 22nd, 2011, 7:24 PM
so does it or does it not have anything to do with aliens bar ridley?

Beefy
December 22nd, 2011, 7:33 PM
Yeah it does. It's (apparently) the story of the ship that Ripley's crew find in Alien.

MikeHunt
December 22nd, 2011, 7:35 PM
cool. well count me in.

Guy
December 22nd, 2011, 7:39 PM
I think because Ridley Scott never really set out to make an Alien Prequel. This isn't (from the little that's been stated in public) the story of the Aliens. It's the story of the space jockey. Or at least that's what this film started life as.

I don't think that's true. There certainly looked like there were eggs in that trailer.

Well I know there's definitely no Xenomorphs in it, and I cannot imagine any facehuggers either.

I believe, as you said, it's the story of how that Space Jockey got on that planet in 'Alien' so it would perhaps make sense that it has eggs in it, but that trailer certainly didn't have the Alien eggs as we know them.

It seemed to have some sort of egg like chamber, but the eggs looked taller and far more rectangular, again not the same as what you would expect from previous Alien films.

http://www.joblo.com/newsimages1/prometheus-poster.jpg

Mik
December 22nd, 2011, 8:32 PM
Looks big.

Beer-Belly
December 29th, 2011, 7:49 AM
There will be aliens of some sort in it. Scott has said that the Xenomorphs won't be be making an appearance, but he's pretty nebulous when it comes to this movie being part of the Alien canon. If Prometheus isn't part of the mythology then they wouldn't have done the title reveal in the exact way that it appears in the original Alien.

Bleeding Cool did a good in-depth rundown of the trailer: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/12/23/closer-look-at-trailer-for-prometheus/

Alf
March 18th, 2012, 10:52 AM
http://themoviebox.net/847

Full trailer... looks good.

They give a bit too much of the story arc away. That irritates me greatly about trailers.

Tramp
March 18th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Yeah, I can't watch that trailer. It's like the first one shows us the right amount we need to see, then it becomes a 3 minute trailer for dummies. I think this is my most anticipated movie, next to Avengers.

Clutch
March 18th, 2012, 1:41 PM
Looks awesome, can't wait for this one!

Jimmy Zero
March 18th, 2012, 7:24 PM
Super cool

This shit is 1B, right after the Avengers.

mth
March 18th, 2012, 7:42 PM
Only watched the first trailer posted since comments indicate the second one gives away too much. Looks really interesting and potentially awesome. :yes:

Jimmy Zero
March 18th, 2012, 7:53 PM
Only watched the first trailer posted since comments indicate the second one gives away too much. Looks really interesting and potentially awesome. :yes:

It doesn't give away anything that anyone who's ever seen an Alien movie wouldn't expect to see in a prequel.

Droid
March 19th, 2012, 2:18 AM
This looks quite awesome. Can't wait to see it.

Alf
March 19th, 2012, 6:54 AM
It doesn't give away anything that anyone who's ever seen an Alien movie wouldn't expect to see in a prequel.

It outright shows you how the plot progresses.

Jimmy Zero
March 19th, 2012, 9:30 AM
It outright shows you how the plot progresses.

Uh, yeah. And anyone who's ever seen an Alien movie shouldn't be too surprised by what they see in that preview.

Based on that preview, it's Aliens without Paul Reiser and way less Aliens. Plot wise, it looks extremely similar.

Beer-Belly
May 7th, 2012, 3:05 PM
This movie has officially been rated R.

I'm so fucking stoked to see this movie. This is my most anticipated film of the summer after The Dark Knight Rises.

Also, can we change the title of this thread? It's Prometheus.

lotjx
May 7th, 2012, 3:31 PM
With the baby being here now, I think this film and probably Expendables will be on the rent list. I really want to see this flick, but I got away with seeing Avengers 5 days after the kid being born and DKR is probably the only film where I can justify getting a babysitter and leaving the house this summer.

Mik
May 7th, 2012, 3:56 PM
This is probably my most anticipated film of the year. I'm rewatching the Alien films for the first time in years and am pumped for it.

Alf
May 7th, 2012, 4:30 PM
They mostly come out at night... Mostly.

The Rogerer
May 7th, 2012, 5:16 PM
The only information I'm going to check out about this is the "Happy Birthday David" clip, and that's all I want to see for now. I've watched it 5 times. At a time when I feel completely drained by the thought to going to see Avengers, it's good to know that I can still get a raging hardon for things like this and DKR.

What I'm not looking forward to, being in the TECH BIZ, is the amount of iArticles that will be wanking over the technology in the film and going on like Nostradamus about how it's all possible.

Mik
May 7th, 2012, 6:11 PM
The viral video with Fassbender was incredible. Better acting in 3 minutes than you'll see in 90% of the Oscar fodder films this year.

Fanny
May 7th, 2012, 7:24 PM
couldn't agree more. It was frightening, actually.

sam_elmendorf
May 10th, 2012, 2:08 AM
Is this the happy birthday David video you're talking about? For those who have not seen this. This is not a scene from the movie. It's one of a couple of videos the studio made to hype Prometheus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lOSh7diZfY
There's another video with Weyland at a convention type thing.

The Rogerer
May 10th, 2012, 4:15 AM
That's the one

PurePlayer
May 10th, 2012, 10:12 AM
So from what I read about this movie, this isn't directly really related to the other Alien films and isn't a prequel. Am I correct in saying that? Ridley Scott said "it shares strands of Alien DNA" according to wikipedia.

Still pumped in seeing it though.

sam_elmendorf
May 10th, 2012, 12:59 PM
So from what I read about this movie, this isn't directly really related to the other Alien films and isn't a prequel. Am I correct in saying that? Ridley Scott said "it shares strands of Alien DNA" according to wikipedia.

Still pumped in seeing it though.

It's wierd that they were denying it being connected to the Alien franchise in the beginning, when...

The reveal of the title is the same as the reveal of the title in the trailer for Alien. The siren is the same siren in the trailer for Alien. The Space Jockey. The David 8 android is a product of Weyland Corp.

Tramp
May 10th, 2012, 6:35 PM
http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/751/promlr.jpg

Atty
May 10th, 2012, 6:46 PM
There are only two Alien movies.

Marlon Dingle
May 17th, 2012, 2:40 PM
This is probably my most anticipated film of the year. I'm rewatching the Alien films for the first time in years and am pumped for it.

Have to agree with you. This, TDKR and Gangster Squad are my ones that I'm looking forward to. Will definitely be attending a midnight screening in two weeks.

Hobbit
May 17th, 2012, 2:54 PM
THANKS MARLON

:D

This, TDKR and The Hobbit yeeepppppp

Morrison
May 17th, 2012, 4:31 PM
It's wierd that they were denying it being connected to the Alien franchise in the beginning, when...

The reveal of the title is the same as the reveal of the title in the trailer for Alien. The siren is the same siren in the trailer for Alien. The Space Jockey. The David 8 android is a product of Weyland Corp.

it was ridley scott trolling you.

Atty
May 18th, 2012, 3:00 AM
It's really simple: it's what happens prior to Alien, but not necessarily involving the popular form of the aliens. Hence it not being an "Alien movie".

I'm looking forward to this so much right now. Maybe more than TDKR in a way.

MACE
May 19th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Apparently there's a trailer out there that gives something "major" away...
You can hear the Predator noise in it or something. And it turns out its the Predators luring Prometheus to that planet (with use of Aliens) in order to get the Aliens onto that ship so they can get to Earth. Or something.
I haven't seen any of the Alien films or the AVP films, so I don't know if this is already known within the story or not. But apparently that's it. :dunno:

The Rogerer
May 19th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Clicking that button certainly spoiled my day

Tramp
May 19th, 2012, 1:09 PM
Clicking that button certainly spoiled my day

In what way? Meaning it spoiled your day because you know something important about the movie, or it spoiled your day because you didn't like what you saw? Must know, sir!

RuneEdge
May 19th, 2012, 1:15 PM
Its spoils the movie, assuming its true.

Tramp
May 19th, 2012, 1:45 PM
That's a relief. I'm staying out of this thread until I watch this because I feel like I know enough as it is.

RuneEdge
May 19th, 2012, 1:49 PM
Im kinda wishing I didnt click it, in case it turns out to be true. So yeah, I advise no one to click it.

Its seems unlikely to be true IMO, for reasons I cant say without spoiling.

The Rogerer
May 19th, 2012, 3:21 PM
If it's true, it'll spoil the movie by making the movie shit. Just click the button ffs. It's ludicrous speculation on a trailer.

lotjx
May 19th, 2012, 4:16 PM
There is no way they would do that. I am still a little pissed that they are going with the aliens were here on Earth bullshit in every sci-film. The Predator Vs. Alien franchise is dead. Let it burn in hell. I really want to see this film, but I think I am going find the red head annoying as hell.

MACE
May 20th, 2012, 2:49 PM
Sorry chaps :happysad:

It might be complete bollocks. Even though that's what I've been told, I haven't found any evidence that it's true.

Fanny
May 20th, 2012, 3:20 PM
http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Space_Jockey

load of seemingly utter shite conjecture in there if that's what anyone's after.

Mik
May 20th, 2012, 3:40 PM
Nah, I'll do without I reckon.

sam_elmendorf
May 21st, 2012, 2:03 PM
Are you Mom enough?
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/179546_10150814848613021_713873020_9513095_1575869 072_n.jpg

Mik
June 4th, 2012, 5:31 PM
Saw this the other day and found that although it was flawed I enjoyed it. Since seeing it and thinking about it afterwards, although the flaws remain (particularly some clunky writing and dialogue and some creaking narrative strands) I've found that the more I think about it, the more I enjoyed it.

Beer-Belly
June 4th, 2012, 9:53 PM
That's the general consensus so far. I'm still excited to see it.

Are the monsters cool?

StoneColdWWE316
June 4th, 2012, 11:30 PM
Can't wait to go see Prometheus

lotjx
June 5th, 2012, 11:19 AM
6:30 pm Friday, can't wait.

Morrison
June 8th, 2012, 2:49 AM

Are the monsters cool?

eh, i think the 'monsters' were fairly boring. well, up until the very last scene of the movie.

Dodgy Browne
June 8th, 2012, 3:49 AM
Saw it yesterday.
The most important thing people should know: this is definetely not like Alien, as in, this is not a space horror flick.
It's more a religious scifi drama with a dose of action. :)

They story is also complete opposite of Alien.
Alien was a very simple but very effective movie. Prometheus comes packed with a lot more meat storyline wise. Whether it's better or not, I leave that in the middle. It does make for a very different movie. A lot more talking and more plottwists.

Then the aliens:
There are no monster aliens in here. Or yet, there are, but they are not the focus of the movie and are hardly featured. The movie focuses mainly on the space jockey people, a race of people that look like us. There is an action scene where one of the crew members is turned into a mutant monster which was kind of lame.

My grade: I thought it was good, throughout I was wondering if I could accept this as Alien cannon (as opposed to AVP) and I definitely will. It does what Star Wars: Episode One didn't. And interesting origin story that answers a lot questions. At the same time there are still some questions left to be answered and the ending leaves a big question mark. So I hope Scott will make a sequel.
The visuals are astounding, really beautiful.

7.8 / 10

Atty
June 8th, 2012, 6:33 AM

Are the monsters cool?

It's really not a monster movie.

I loved it. There are some bits that aren't smooth and there's an issue I have tying into Alien towards the end, but I loved it.

My Alien issue is the Engineer gets out of his pilot's chair to come after Shaw, but he's still in the chair when they find the ship in Alien. Unless that's a totally different ship at the start of Alien, but I had it in my head the whole film that it was the same ship.

Michael Fassbender is quickly becoming a favorite of mine. So terrific in this.

Beer-Belly
June 8th, 2012, 7:38 AM
My Alien issue is the Engineer gets out of his pilot's chair to come after Shaw, but he's still in the chair when they find the ship in Alien. Unless that's a totally different ship at the start of Alien, but I had it in my head the whole film that it was the same ship.

The movie takes place on a different planet than the one in Alien.

OD50
June 8th, 2012, 7:59 AM
yeah, original is set on LV-426 and Prometheus on LV-223.

Oh, and I liked this movie for sure. Will watch it again one of these days in non 3D though (if possible). Was my first ever 3D film and I wasn't impressed at all. Effects and stuff was great though.

Mik
June 8th, 2012, 9:09 AM
The thing is to not go in expecting any major tie to the Alien franchise. It's a different film with different films set within the same universe. It's a film about creation and evolution that is clunky in places but really thoughtful in others.

Mik
June 8th, 2012, 9:10 AM
Also, I didn't see it in 3d but I still want to see it again. I don't think I'd've been overly find of the 3d in the film, can't see why it would've needed it.

Jacknife
June 8th, 2012, 9:53 AM
Someone said it's the best Sci-Fi film of all time. I haven't seen it but I'm sure that isn't true.

Atty
June 8th, 2012, 2:32 PM
I saw the iMAX 3D and, while I loved it, if I go again, it will be a 2D showing. The 3D felt less gimmicky than most movies, I loved the character depth, but it's not something like Avatar that relies on immersion through a 3D environment.

This wasn't like Avengers (or most films) where I felt it was 3D more as a money grab than anything, but I won't miss it when I see it again in 2D. Shots of environments and landscapes were great in 3D. Shots of smoke were quite nice as they didn't pop it out in my face, but rather at proper depth.

The movie takes place on a different planet than the one in Alien.

yeah, original is set on LV-426 and Prometheus on LV-223.

Oh, and I liked this movie for sure. Will watch it again one of these days in non 3D though (if possible). Was my first ever 3D film and I wasn't impressed at all. Effects and stuff was great though.

The thing is to not go in expecting any major tie to the Alien franchise. It's a different film with different films set within the same universe. It's a film about creation and evolution that is clunky in places but really thoughtful in others.

:yes:

StoneColdWWE316
June 8th, 2012, 4:47 PM
Just went and saw it,thought it was interesting. The Story was good and really gets you thinking which I like for Sci-Fi Movies. I hope they follow it with another with Elizabeth & David finding out why The Engineers changed their minds about Mankind.

Fanny
June 8th, 2012, 5:00 PM
I've seen it now, but, are spoilers fair game in this thread now, what's the statute of limitations?

Atty
June 8th, 2012, 6:15 PM
I'd tag anything directly about the story, just to be safe.

StoneColdWWE316
June 8th, 2012, 7:54 PM
Thanks for tagging that for me,wasn't sure how do it. Good Movie though like I said.

Vice
June 8th, 2012, 8:04 PM
[spoiler]HEEEEYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO[ /spoiler]

Without the space in the second bracket.

lotjx
June 9th, 2012, 5:55 AM
At least we have 3 good Alien movies that can be a good trilogy. I a not a fan of ancient alien, it seems over done in sci-fi. I also don't understand why the need to make it a different planet when Shaw leaves the warning. It just seemed unnecessary to set up the original ship from Alien being outside in almost the exact same spot. Also, if Weyland industries knew exactly where they were why not go there again with a full team instead of being coy about it in one? It probably would have been better to have them destroy the planet or at leas the ship instead of giving the wink nod to it. Even with these problems, I liked it. I thought the actress playing Shaw was very good. Fassander was menacing as hell, Theron has now cemented herself as bitch of the summer with this and Snow White. Then there is fucking Idris. Man, this guy rocks no matter what and the Prometheus stopping the Engineer's ship was just awesome. Any film that talks Lawrence of Arabia is usually a win out of the gates. Again, I liked it, but there are some problems with trying to be too coy with "Oh its another planet". If anything I did love the recurring theme of the Aliens being used by the military as a weapon this time by the engineers instead of the corporation.

OD50
June 9th, 2012, 7:16 AM
One thing I didn't enjoy was the appearance of Fifield when he attacked the ship crew. He looked like a werewolf in one of those low-budget horror flicks from the 1950's. And I'm not sure I'm 100% sold on Noomi Rapace's performance, Swedish or not.

A sequel could be interesting if it doesn't get way OTT sci-fi'ish with David and Shaw going to the engineers homeworld and all. I'd watch it for sure though.

/As for Noomi, she is a very good actress.. Maybe it's because I unlike most clearly can hear her Swedish accent through her supposedly British accent. Not sure.

StoneColdWWE316
June 9th, 2012, 7:54 PM
Anyone know what David put in Dr Holloway's Drink that made him sick?

Morrison
June 9th, 2012, 8:09 PM
it's never explained, though basically it's said that it's a 'weapon of mass destruction.' from what we can tell, it mutates whatever it touches or gets inside of, as it mutated the worms that crawled into it, mutated fifield when he faceplanted into it after his helmet was broken and mutated holloway when he ingested it. so it seems that the engineer's were planning on taking it to earth and releasing it on the human's. what exactly it was, we don't know, and i doubt we ever truly will.

StoneColdWWE316
June 9th, 2012, 8:20 PM
Ah ok well I couldn't figure it out so I was wondering if anyone had an idea. Really enjoyed the Movie and I do hope they follow it with another.

lotjx
June 9th, 2012, 9:35 PM
OD50, I was not a fan of the Fifeld attack either, but it was a sorta necessary evil to show you how dangerous this shit was going to be. Guy Pearce's character just choose to die and Vickers was more than happy to oblige. Granted, I thought it was an action scene for the sake of an action scene, but you needed to show what happened to Fifeld and the viciousness of the virus. Nice of the Black Oil from X-Files to came a cameo I actually enjoyed Noomi's performance as proto-Ripley. If anything there was a lot of proto shit in this movie that she fit in with it.

StoneColdWWE316
June 10th, 2012, 12:48 AM
Going back and watching the Alien Movies there really are similarities between those & Prometheus.

Mik
June 10th, 2012, 6:04 AM
it's never explained, though basically it's said that it's a 'weapon of mass destruction.' from what we can tell, it mutates whatever it touches or gets inside of, as it mutated the worms that crawled into it, mutated fifield when he faceplanted into it after his helmet was broken and mutated holloway when he ingested it. so it seems that the engineer's were planning on taking it to earth and releasing it on the human's. what exactly it was, we don't know, and i doubt we ever truly will.

]Seems to me that the liquid was ingested by the space jockey at the start of the film which caused him to deteriorate into earths water supply thus creating our own evolution.

Slare
June 10th, 2012, 8:35 AM
Going back and watching the Alien Movies there really are similarities between those & Prometheus.

Fucking hell. Really?

RuneEdge
June 10th, 2012, 10:27 AM
]Seems to me that the liquid was ingested by the space jockey at the start of the film which caused him to deteriorate into earths water supply thus creating our own evolution.
What I dont understand is that same liquid was ingested by Holloway, and then passed onto Shaw who then gives birth to that huge tentacle alien thingy.
If that space jockey at the start (who the humans apparantly get their DNA from) also ingested that same liquid, shouldnt this alien DNA have also spread through out the human race alongside the space jockey's DNA?
In other words, shouldnt we have had an alien race of some sort on Earth that evolved from the liquid that was in that first space jockey?

Alf
June 13th, 2012, 6:33 PM
Watched it. Liked it. Didn't love it. Some odd choices were made... Some odd character moments. Like when whatshisname goes mental and kills a bunch of people until they run him over and torch him.... No one mentions it afterwards.

StoneColdWWE316
June 13th, 2012, 11:48 PM
What I dont understand is that same liquid was ingested by Holloway, and then passed onto Shaw who then gives birth to that huge tentacle alien thingy.
If that space jockey at the start (who the humans apparantly get their DNA from) also ingested that same liquid, shouldnt this alien DNA have also spread through out the human race alongside the space jockey's DNA?
In other words, shouldnt we have had an alien race of some sort on Earth that evolved from the liquid that was in that first space jockey?

My guess would be that whatever David gave Holloway had the Alien DNA in it which explains how Shaw got it. Whatever the Engineer drank still made him sick like Holloway was but didn't have anything else in it. Again it really made me think and thats what I enjoy about Sci-Fi Movies.

Matty C
June 14th, 2012, 4:59 PM
I saw this Tuesday night. I thought it was awesome to look at but pretty strange in places as well. I liked it overall but preferred the beginning and end to the middle which is where they kind of lost their way for a bit, to me at least. It's worth seeing but it's not a must see.

The_Mike
June 26th, 2012, 8:04 PM
Saw it yesterday, and I have to admit I was a fair bit disappointed with it. I was expecting a pretty significant and imposing horror film, but it was a fairly standard sci-fi flick instead. Theron and Fassbender were great, everything else was decent enough, but I rarely felt any tension, and too much seemed to go unexplained and hinge on ambiguity for the sake of it, which weakened the story. The monsters all seemed ridiculous as well. For what they were actually trying to do (which was nothing like their marketing was implying), it's a solid science fiction film with a tired but well executed plot and some very good performances. 3/5

The Rogerer
May 10th, 2015, 6:53 PM
The script was written by a computer program,which was written by a child. 2 out of 5.

VHS
May 10th, 2015, 7:49 PM
I, the all-creative race, will create the human race. I will create them for the sole purpose of using them as test subjects for my new world-killing weapon. But... I will put the coordinates to our warehouse on several parts of the planet for them to find and trace back to us.

Make sense.