PDA

View Full Version : News and Notes: Entertainment Edition

Guy
November 21st, 2011, 5:24 PM
These threads seemed to have gone over well in other forums. Might as well have one here.

A thread for all news and information that's either too small or not confirmed/far along enough in production to merit a full discussion thread.

Cewsh
November 21st, 2011, 5:25 PM
Great thread idea. Looking forward to having it all condensed here.

Guy
November 21st, 2011, 5:26 PM
I'll kick things off with this interestingly baffling nugget of news

Sylvester Stallone is teaming with Wladimir Kitschko and his brother Vitali (Russia's Frank Stallone?) to produce a musical based on the movie that gave Sly his career. The book will be written by Thomas Meehan, who wrote Annie and the Broadway version of The Producers (he also worked on the script for Spaceballs). Lynn Ahrens and Stephen Flaherty will be doing the music and lyrics. And Klitschko will be training the lead actor in how to box. The show will open in... Hamburg, Germany in November of 2012. It will be performed in German.

So, here's the real question....would you willingly go to watch a "Rocky" based stage musical?

I think no to start with...but imagine the dance numbers to "Gonna fly now".

Fro
November 23rd, 2011, 1:18 AM
#1 on my most anticipated movies list:

As it nears production, Quentin Tarantino’s next opus - Django Unchained - has picked up more crucial actors, including Django’s love interest, Broomhilda, who will be played by Kerry Washington. 

The upcoming film has also managed to clinch Law and Order’s Anthony LaPagilia, and rapper RZA for roles. According to Deadline, Tarantino wanted Washington to play Foxx’s love interest from the get go, but he was also interested in possibly discovering an unknown as well, like he did with French actress Melanie Laurent in Inglorious Bastards. 

Washington ironically played Foxx’s wife in a previous film, Ray, and she also had featured roles in Mr. & Mrs. Smith, The Fantastic Four, and Boston Legal.

LaPagilia told Deadline he and Joseph Gordon-Levitt are supposed to play brothers, and that the script is "wildly ambitious and imaginative, deals with that subject in a way it hasn’t been dealt with before. The way the cast has shaped up, it’s exciting to be involved." And as Variety reports, RZA from the Wu-Tang Clan, who scored the Kill Bill film, will also play a slave in the film, as well as direct and star in his own martial arts film, The Man With the Iron Fists, which he wrote with Eli Roth, and is slated to star Russell Crowe, Pam Grier, and Lucy Liu.

Right as this post was being finalized, Collider reported that several other interesting cast members are coming aboard the Django train, including Tom Wopat, best known from The Dukes of Hazard, James Remar, who played Ajax in The Warriors and also had a role in 48 Hours, James Russo (Public Enemies), and Todd Allen (Friday Night Lights).

Meanwhile, Variety reported that Sacha Baron Cohen is also going to be on board, playing a gambler who buys Django’s wife. True, it’s a small part, but Tarantino apparently wanted the right actor to play it. In addition to Washington, RZA, Cohen, and LaPagilia, the Django cast so far includes Jamie Foxx in the title role, Leonardo DiCaprio, Christoph Waltz, Kurt Russell, Dennis Christopher, Don Johnson, Samuel L. Jackson, Gerald McRaney, gore FX genius Tom Savini (who also played Sex machine in From Dusk Till Dawn), and more.

So we've got:

Jamie Foxx
Leonardo Dicaprio
Christoph Waltz
Joseph Gordon-Levitt
Samuel L Jackson
Sacha Baron Cohen
Kurt Russell
Kerry Washington
RZA

So fucking immense.

G-Fresh
November 23rd, 2011, 1:47 AM
Dammit why won't Jamie Foxx just fuck off already?

Greed
November 23rd, 2011, 8:48 PM
I'm stoked for Django. I'm not really a fan of Jamie foxxx in anything other than his average role in Collateral. But I have faith Tarantino can pull a great performance out of him, and the rest of the cast is amazing.

Guy
November 25th, 2011, 8:40 AM

So we've got:

Jamie Foxx
Leonardo Dicaprio
Christoph Waltz
Joseph Gordon-Levitt
Samuel L Jackson
Sacha Baron Cohen
Kurt Russell
Kerry Washington
RZA

So fucking immense.

I both love and hate Tarantino.

His early films are obviously amazing. But when he started to get really self-indulgent, it's a horrible horrible self-inflicted scar he keeps putting on his movies. They get so over-long and bogged down, which is a damn shame as the man is obviously a master of the craft.

I remember coming home from Inglorious Basterds at the cinema, and whilst I did enjoy, I haven't seen it again since (and don't plan to for a very long time) because it's just so drawn out. But I came home and my Dad was watching some craptacular modern horror film on the TV, and just watching 5 minutes of so of it with him was painful, because Basterds seemed like such a perfectly crated event of a movie. There was such a classic cinematic feel to it that it made this (admittedly crappy anyway) film that my Dad was watching just look like a 5 year old had picked up a camera and started slapping images together.

But yet I don't look forward to any of his new stuff because it takes a legitimate effort on my part to get through the self indulgence to enjoy it.

Does that make any sense?

Alf
November 25th, 2011, 9:55 AM
I thought Inglorious was an incredible film. I absolutely loved it. I didn't watch it until a few months ago so I missed the hype machine surrounding it. You should definitely give it another look.

Pulp Fiction was really long and really bogged down too, that's just him.

Guy
November 25th, 2011, 9:59 AM
So for next December, the missus and I have just bought ourselves tickets for the "War of the Worlds" stage show.

War of the Worlds is probably my favourite book, and I love the musical adaptation, but haven't been able to see the show. When I heard it was coming round again next year I was quite excited, but I read they were giving it an overhaul I was quite worried. Until I read this.

In what the show’s creators claim will be a technological first, Liam Neeson’s full body hologram will interact with the live performers.

He will play journalist George Herbert, a role previously voiced by Richard Burton.

The musical is based on the 1978 album by Jeff Wayne, which was in turn inspired by HG Wells’s classic science-fiction novel about a Martian invasion of England.

Burton, who died in 1984, supplied the narration for the album and his voice was used for a holographic head in the musical production that began touring in 2006.

After a hiatus, the show will return in December 2012 with Neeson at the helm and new special effects, including a 100ft wide “CGI animation wall” and a Martian fighting machine that fires real flames at the audience.

Neeson said he had been a fan of the album for many years and was thrilled to be involved in the new production.

“I remember buying the tape, as it was then, in 1979 in Ireland, and I loved the music. I loved Richard Burton’s voice especially, and was very flattered that Jeff wanted me to do this,” he told a press conference in London.

He tried to banish Burton’s voice from his mind when he was doing the narration. “I had to get rid of it and just focus on the text. That would have been suicide, to just keep thinking of Richard.”

As for the technology: “I’m not a computer nerd at all so I knew nothing about this technological stuff, but it did sound very interesting. We shot it over three days in April.

“It was all done on ‘green screen’ which I’m very used to after Star Wars and Clash of the Titans and various films like that. It wasn’t terribly different from shooting a movie.”

The actor pointed out that he did not believe in aliens.

Wayne said that Neeson was his first choice for the role. He explained: “I had a list of one name of my ideal George Herbert, and it was him.

“To me, this is a living work and now we’ve made the decision to move on to what we call the ‘new generation’.

“Richard’s performance was 74 sequences, Liam’s is 90. Before, we had one holographic head that hovered over the stage; Liam is that but also a full body performing with the other live characters and appearing on a giant animation wall.

“This has given us some wonderful opportunities to open up storylines.”

Neeson recalled his one encounter with Burton, when the two men were filming a 1984 mini-series called Ellis Island.

He said: “I remember coming out of the make-up trailer one morning and he was standing, listening to this lady who was talking to him, with his arms behind his back and he looked incredibly fit. I remember thinking, ‘Wow, that’s Richard Burton’.

“He had this kind of a halo around him. I didn’t want to go over, I wish I had. And two weeks after that he passed away.”

Liam Neeson as the new narrator is a great addition, I genuinely can't wait to see what they do with him and the 3D holographic/interacting with the actors stuff.

Add that to the giant flaming spaceship and the music itself, quite excited.

Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of The Worlds is coming to Capital FM Arena Nottingham - YouTube

Mik
November 25th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Tarantino needs a cut-throat editor. Simple as.

Chris
November 25th, 2011, 10:12 AM
I saw War of the Worlds when it came to Belfast a few years ago. It was a great production - the music, the narration, the Martian machine spewing fire, etc. I'm looking forward to seeing how they utilise Neeson.

Some casting news for the new Bond film - Bond will once again be able to rely on "Q".

British actor Ben Whishaw has been cast as Q in the new Bond film Skyfall, his agent has confirmed.

The role of 007's gadget designer was played by Desmond Llewelyn in From Russia With Love and most recently by John Cleese, opposite Pierce Brosnan, in 2002's Die Another Day.

At the age of 31, Whishaw is 12 years younger than Bond actor Daniel Craig, a first for the Q character.

Whishaw recently starred in the BBC's 1950s news drama The Hour.

http://tvpixie.com/public/images/webTheHourep6.jpg

He is due to play Richard II opposite Rory Kinnear in a new BBC Shakespeare adaptation which is part of next year's cultural programming to coincide with the Olympics.

The actor played Ariel in Julie Taymor's recent film adaptation of The Tempest opposite Dame Helen Mirren.

His other credits include Criminal Justice, Brideshead Revisited and the literary big screen adaptation of Perfume.

Q is the head of Branch Q, the fictional armoury division of the secret service. He appeared briefly in the first Bond film Dr No in 1962 under his real name Major Boothroyd, played by actor Peter Burton.
Pierce Brosnan and Desmond Llewelyn on the set of The World Is Not Enough Desmond Llewelyn's final Bond film was The World Is Not Enough

His next appearance was in 1963 in From Russia With Love, played by Welsh actor Llewelyn, who played the role in every subsequent Bond film, except Live And Let Die, until his death in 1999.

The character returned just once in 2002, played by former Python Cleese.

As well as Craig returning as 007 in his third outing, British actors Naomie Harris and Albert Finney will join him in the 23rd Bond film, due out next year.

Oscar-winning Spanish actor Javier Bardem has been cast as Skyfall's main villain.

Mik
November 25th, 2011, 10:17 AM
I do like Ben Whishaw.

Matty C
November 25th, 2011, 10:40 AM

So we've got:

Jamie Foxx
Leonardo Dicaprio
Christoph Waltz
Joseph Gordon-Levitt
Samuel L Jackson
Sacha Baron Cohen
Kurt Russell
Kerry Washington
RZA

So fucking immense.

They lost me right there. Why is he in everything? I absolutely hate the pouty prick.

Chris
November 25th, 2011, 10:41 AM
I haven't seen much of his work, but I did thoroughly enjoy him in The Hour. I wonder how big his role will be, considering the Q character tended to just pop up to demonstrate some gadgets and endure a quip in the Brosnan days.

Mik
November 25th, 2011, 10:45 AM
I'd imagine that it'll be much the same here.

Guy
November 25th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Looking forward to the return of Q. I have no qualms about it being a younger actor at all. Having Q back might give Daniel Craig a chance to show a bit more personality outside of punching people really hard in the face.

Zarius
November 25th, 2011, 6:26 PM
Interesting twist to have Q younger than Bond, usually Bond gets to flash his youthful bravado on an older and more weary mentor, now it's a battle-scarred Bond having to stomach a bragadocious protoge.

Fro
November 26th, 2011, 7:14 PM
They lost me right there. Why is he in everything? I absolutely hate the pouty prick.

Yes yes it's been well documented by now.

I love that Leo will be the villain in Django. He's very rarely been anything other than a hero and I think he'll be superb as the bad guy.

Chris
December 6th, 2011, 8:09 PM
The "24" movie will hopefully be shooting in the spring.

The clock has started on 24, the feature version of the Imagine Entertainment/Fox series. The project brings back Kiefer Sutherland’s tireless government operative Jack Bauer. Mark Bomback — a favorite writer at 20th Century Fox writing The Wolverine and Shadow Divers – is doing some last minute tweaking of Billy Ray’s script, and will turn it in by year’s end.

http://www-movieline-com.vimg.net/images/24_movie300.jpg

Imagine and the studio have about five directors in mind — no, Tony Scott is not attached anymore — and it will all begin happening very quickly in the early part of next year. The goal is to get the film into production to match Sutherland’s availability, which begins in April. That should give producer Brian Grazer something to do after he completes producing the Academy Awards, and it is certainly good news for fans of the show who were beginning to fear the project wouldn’t happen.
I need to get on with my 24 viewing. Are 24 fans excited by this, or was the series sufficiently wrapped up at the end of season 8? No spoilers please!

Robocop, aka Peter Weller, returns to the Star Trek franchise, this time in JJ Abrams' sequel. No word on who or what he'll be playing. Also, Del Toro is out, but rumours persist of Khan being the villain. Someone on AICN suggested Nestor Carbonell as a good fit for Khan. I'd be interested in seeing that, but that's just the Richard Alpert fan in me.

The sequel to the successful reboot of Star Trek has been a long-in-development priority for Paramount and director J.J. Abrams, and the Enterprise is currently scheduled to lift off again this January, when shooting on the untitled next installment will begin. Sadly, there's one high-profile star whom Abrams didn't manage to beam up: Benicio Del Toro, who entered into talks last month to play the sequel's new villain. Insiders tell Vulture that the deal actually went asunder last Wednesday after parties couldn't come to terms over monetary issues.

Abrams will now have to move quickly to fill the role, but which villain from Star Trek lore has he made the focal point of the new film? When Del Toro's name was first linked to the project, speculation ran rampant that he might play Khan, immortalized once before on the big screen by Ricardo Montalban in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. On Friday, the site Latino Review claimed to have confirmed that choice of villain, though Abrams promptly replied to Hitfix that the report was "not true." Still, the famously secretive director was probably trying to keep the cat in the interstellar bag for a little while longer, as Vulture hears from a highly placed source that Khan is indeed the film's baddie. Perhaps Abrams was taking his cues from Man of Steel director Zack Snyder, who strongly denied to the press last year that General Zod would be the villain in his Superman reboot ... then cast Michael Shannon as Zod a few months later.

I'm interested in Will Smith's return to Sci-Fi - first Men in Black 3 and then his collaboration with Shyamalan.

Zoe Kravitz and Sophie Okonedo are in early talks to join Will Smith and Jaden Smith in 1000 A.E. M. Night Shyamalan is directing Columbia’s sci-fi action adventure, in which humans no longer live on Earth after it becomes inhospitable. The elder Smith is playing a hero, while Jaden is his son, considered a failure as a warrior. When the two crash-land on Earth, it is up to the son to save the dad.

If deals are made, Kravitz would play Smith’s daughter, while Okonedo will portray his wife. Gary Whitta, Shyamalan and Stephen Gaghan worked on the script.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/thumbnail_570x321/2011/12/zoe_kravitz_sophie_okonedo_a_l.jpg

The studio is eyeing an early 2012 production start with a release in June 2013.

Kravitz, who was last week honored with a rising star award at the Bahamas International Film Festival, appeared in X-Men: First Class as the mutant Angel Salvadore and stars in the indie drama Yelling to the Sky. Paradigm-repped Kravitz is due to shoot Fury Road, the fourth installment of the Mad Max movies, next year. British actress Okonedo, repped by UTA, was recently seen in U.K. shows such as Doctor Who and Criminal Justice and appeared in features such as Hotel Rwanda and The Secret Life of Bees.

Fro
December 6th, 2011, 8:46 PM
1000 A.E. has a .001% chance of not being terrible.

Beefy
December 7th, 2011, 8:56 AM
I need to get on with my 24 viewing. Are 24 fans excited by this, or was the series sufficiently wrapped up at the end of season 8? No spoilers please!

Fuck yes. I'd much prefer a Day Nine but I'll take any Jack Bauer I get offered.

VanillaJello
December 8th, 2011, 5:23 PM
Remake of American Psycho on the way.

:(

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118047216?categoryid=13&cs=1&cmpid=RSS|News|FilmNews

Alf
December 8th, 2011, 6:11 PM
WHAT?

Fucking hell. I just don't know what the fuck is up with hollywood at the moment. Is that that much of a defecit of ideas that they have to remake films from 10 years ago?

What a joke.

The Doc
December 8th, 2011, 6:49 PM
WHAT?

Fucking hell. I just don't know what the fuck is up with hollywood at the moment. Is that that much of a defecit of ideas that they have to remake films from 10 years ago?

What a joke.

There never WERE ideas in Hollywood nor anyplace else. It's just a few people have decided they'd rather get paid for the remake of Aliens that's gonna get a budget because people will go see it than make Starship Troopers. And Starship Troopers had it resembled the book in any serious way would have been the first half of Full Metal Jacket, just in outer space. Lets not pretend that Tomb Raider and National Treasure aren't remakes of Indiana Jones.

If we're gonna bitch about remakes, we should bitch about reskins also.

Also 24 can't end properly because they like money and ultimately Jack has to die. His life sucks beyond all measure and meaning.

Bert
December 8th, 2011, 9:06 PM
Remake of American Psycho on the way.

:(

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118047216?categoryid=13&cs=1&cmpid=RSS|News|FilmNews

The good news keeps on coming...

The Three Stooges Trailer 2012 (HD 1080p) - YouTube
Boycott.

The Doc
December 8th, 2011, 9:19 PM
Don't boycoot.
RIOT.

Derek
December 8th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Fuck. That.

VanillaJello
December 8th, 2011, 10:04 PM
There never WERE ideas in Hollywood nor anyplace else. It's just a few people have decided they'd rather get paid for the remake of Aliens that's gonna get a budget because people will go see it than make Starship Troopers. And Starship Troopers had it resembled the book in any serious way would have been the first half of Full Metal Jacket, just in outer space. Lets not pretend that Tomb Raider and National Treasure aren't remakes of Indiana Jones.

Also 24 can't end properly because they like money and ultimately Jack has to die. His life sucks beyond all measure and meaning.

Speaking of which, they're remaking Starship Troopers.

Seriously.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=32603

This time, I hope they include the whole part about the troops bonding with their dogs, as they did in the book. I felt that was a big part of the story Verhoeven left out.

Alf
December 9th, 2011, 9:06 AM

Do you want to have a little rest mate?

I also think re-skins are bollocks, but they are a slightly different kettle of fish.

You can't deny that the sheer weight of re-makes is getting ridiculous. And I totally think we should 'bitch' about it. I don't see that there is anything wrong with bitching about it.

Beefy
December 9th, 2011, 9:13 AM
Bitch away, Alf.

The_Mike
December 9th, 2011, 11:45 AM
I'm all for bitching. The remakes and shallow reimaginings are beyond taking the piss now.

I think doct has a point about 24. It probably won't end properly because the studio will always want to revisit it for a quick buck when they feel like it. Jack has given up everything except his physical existence, and they've had him 'start a new life' so many times that idea has lost all meaning, so really the only resolution for him now is a noble self-sacrifice. Or a heel turn, but if he couldn't shoot Logan in the face, I can't see anything sending him over the edge now.

I certainly think it's pretty over the top to say there were never any ideas in Hollywood (or anyplace else?? What?) but the fear of shutting the door on cash seems to be utterly killing creativity in the place at the moment, and good ideas are being strung out or ruined because they have to be continually monetized.

Bert
December 16th, 2011, 8:54 PM
Either there never was a Californication thread or it got pruned, but anyway, a screener for Season 5 Episode 1 is out.

I would make a thread but I don't want to be the only post.

You can watch it streaming here (http://www.vidxden.com/n056srb36yf4/cocojambo-c.s05e01.xvid-ultra-vid.com.flv.html) if you're interested.

mr sabu
December 17th, 2011, 1:02 AM
MEN IN BLACK 3 - Official Trailer - In Theaters 5/25/12 - YouTube

virms
December 17th, 2011, 1:34 AM
LOOKS SHIT

Mik
December 17th, 2011, 7:49 AM
I dont agree.

Guy
December 17th, 2011, 8:09 AM
It looks fun, but it does look like it's on the wrong side of "cartoony".

Like the first one was on the right side of being real/creepy/funny, whereas the second one had ball-chinians, Tommy Lee Jones doing a jumping front kick and Rip Torn doing Liu Kang's multiple face kick manouvre.

I'll watch it though, because it's nice to see 1997's Will Smith on screen and Josh Brolin looks ridiculously awesome as a younger TLJ.

Guy
December 17th, 2011, 8:20 AM
How has it been ten years since the SECOND movie came out? That's ridiculous.

Also why haven't these two aged since 1997?

Zarius
December 17th, 2011, 9:34 AM
"ELVIS DID NOT DIE SON, HE JUST WENT HOME"

I hope this doesnt mean a reduced role for Tommy Lee Johns, what with the time travel plot and all.

Hope we also get another tie-in track from Smith for this

Will Smith - Men In Black[Official Music Video] - YouTube

Will Smith - Black Suits Comin' (Nod Ya Head) ft. TRÂ-Knox - YouTube

G-Fresh
December 17th, 2011, 9:36 AM
Also why haven't these two aged since 1997?

They are shapeshifters

Guy
December 17th, 2011, 11:59 AM
I think they really missed the boat not making a Men in Black live action TV series.

It could be a great mix of 50's B-movie sci-fi homages, X-Files style monster of the weeks and conspiracies, a nice dash of comedy and has an already established canon, visual style and fan-base.

Obviously with different MIB agents from the movies.

Excel
December 17th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Holy fuckballs Im excited for that

The_Mike
December 17th, 2011, 1:04 PM
It looks fun, but it does look like it's on the wrong side of "cartoony".

Like the first one was on the right side of being real/creepy/funny, whereas the second one had ball-chinians, Tommy Lee Jones doing a jumping front kick and Rip Torn doing Liu Kang's multiple face kick manouvre.

I'll watch it though, because it's nice to see 1997's Will Smith on screen and Josh Brolin looks ridiculously awesome as a younger TLJ.

Exactly my thinking. I'll probably see it if nothing else is out around that time, but it's Memorial Day, so how likely is that? I loved the first one, and the second was at least enjoyable, but I can't help but wish they took things a tad more seriously. Obviously it's not supposed to be a serious drama, but it's just a little too wacky for me to really care.

Fanny
December 17th, 2011, 3:14 PM
why is Josh Brolin playing the young TLJ? Jesus Christ, people's looks don't change THAT much over age. Suspend disbelief and all that, but...muh whatever. The second film was offensively terrible in my opinion and the time travel plot seems a bit yawn...

Derek
December 17th, 2011, 3:58 PM
It has to be better than the second one.

Fro
December 17th, 2011, 5:33 PM
MIB3 looks shite.

Breaking Bad not getting nominated for Best Drama at the Golden Globes is a joke.

Guy
December 17th, 2011, 7:22 PM
why is Josh Brolin playing the young TLJ? Jesus Christ, people's looks don't change THAT much over age. Suspend disbelief and all that, but...muh whatever. The second film was offensively terrible in my opinion and the time travel plot seems a bit yawn...

He looks JUST like a younger TLJ :wtf:

http://www.cinemablend.com/images/news_img/24159/men_in_black_iii_24159.jpg

Fanny
December 17th, 2011, 7:23 PM
oh.

It still looks shite.

Bert
December 18th, 2011, 12:40 AM
MIB3 looks shite.

Breaking Bad not getting nominated for Best Drama at the Golden Globes is a joke.

While true it at least gives Homeland (http://forums.rajah.com/showthread.php?t=143922) a better chance of winning.

p.s. Watch Homeland (http://forums.rajah.com/showthread.php?t=143922). I have download links and streaming links in the Homeland thread (http://forums.rajah.com/showthread.php?t=143922) so there is no good excuse not to watch this brilliant show.

Mik
December 18th, 2011, 10:05 AM

He looks JUST like a younger TLJ :wtf:

http://www.cinemablend.com/images/news_img/24159/men_in_black_iii_24159.jpg

Embarrassed.

Slare
December 18th, 2011, 10:28 AM
I was just reading how Trent Reznor is working on the score for 'Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' and it got me thinking about the Social Network score.

Just giving it a listen, its fucking amazing. A lot of it was taken from the earlier NIN Ghosts release, but its lovely. It shouldn't work with that film, but it does beautifully. I know they won an Oscar for it.

Anyone else given it a listen'?

Mik
December 18th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Aye. Its good but should never have won the Oscar. Hans Zimmer's score for Inception is astonishing.

Slare
December 18th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Found Reznors a bit fresher, more contemporary and a bit more, well, exciting. It was different and gave the film its whole feel and tone.

Love Zimmer though, the Band of Brothers score is still my favourite

Chris
January 10th, 2012, 2:13 PM
The Star Wars live action TV series gets a working title, but is still in development hell.

It's been rumoured and developed and teased for years, and it's not any nearer actually going into production. But producer Rick McCallum has just confirmed to IGN that the live-action Star Wars TV series is still a going concern, and he even revealed the title. It's Star Wars: Underworld.

Now, that doesn't mean a crossover with the goth-vampire franchise, in which Kate Beckinsale squeezes into her PVC catsuit to join the Rebellion (as awesome as that might be). What it means is crime syndicates and gangsters... and maybe bounty hunters.

"The scripts take place between episodes III and IV," says McCallum. "It's that twenty-year period when Luke is growing up. It's not about Luke, but it's about that period when the Empire is really trying to take things forward. It's called Underworld - that's the working title - and it's underneath what's going on: the criminals and the gangs that are running everything. It's like Wall Street, and the criminals that are running the United States!"

Don't hold your breath though, since the budgetary concerns that have been holding things up for years, are still the main hymn on the song sheet.

"The prequels only cost $100m each, which in Hollywood is nothing," McCallum claims, "but this is really tough, because we're trying to put the same effects and technology from those two-hour films, into one-hour episodes, and do it every week for $5m an episode.

"We have fifty unbelievable scripts. Each episode is bigger than any of the prequels were, and they're complex and dark and adult. But right now, technologically, there's no way we can do them for that $5m: there's so much digital animation, because we have so many digital characters. So I think the idea is just that we hold off, wait and see if there are any major breakthroughs in the next year or two, and once we can come up with some virtual set software that allows us to travel anywhere, we'll revisit. We'll get there. I just hope I live long enough!"

A few details on the 24 movie (for anyone still catching up on the show, there are spoilers of the season 8 finale below):

Kiefer Sutherland, during and after the Television Critics Association winter tour presentation of his new Fox series, Touch, updated reporters on 24‘s long-rumored trip to the big screen.

For one, Sutherland said that the hope is for the 24 movie to start filming “at the end of April, beginning of May.”

He later added that in terms of time passed since the 24 series finale — at the end of which Jack Bauer went off the grid and bid farewell to Chloe and the CTU team — the movie will be “relatively a direct continuation. We’re talking maybe six months from the end of that episode.”

Sutherland confirmed for TVLine that in keeping with the action drama’s inherent premise, the feature will cover a 24-hour crisis period, though obviously not in real time but over the course of its two-hour (or however long) running time.

As for which familiar faces will take part in the project beyond Sutherland himself, 24 series/film producer Howard Gordon told TV Guide Magazine this week that Mary Lynn Rajskub’s Chloe, for one, will be involved.

Guy
January 10th, 2012, 2:38 PM
I want that bloody 24 film, I want it to be extremely theatrical and I want it to be great.

I'd hate for it to just be a port of the show, as much as I love the show. I want a genuine acclaimed theatrical movie director on it.

Well when I say acclaimed I just mean well versed in producing high quality action films.

Zarius
January 11th, 2012, 8:19 AM
Part of me wants it to be three hours so the last hour can be set in real time with the previous two covering 23 hours, but that's asking a bit much

Beefy
January 11th, 2012, 8:24 AM
I want it to be 24 hours long and be put on television.

Alf
January 11th, 2012, 11:23 AM
I want Beefy to be in it as his new side-kick.

"Thankkkk youuu JaAAcck... For LUUUUUUUUVERRRLYYYYYY twentyfourHOUrrrsss."

Beefy
January 11th, 2012, 11:39 AM
I don't get it.

:shifty:

Mik
January 11th, 2012, 2:14 PM
Yyyyyyylank you VERY much.

Fanny
January 11th, 2012, 4:53 PM
Embarrassed.

absolutely mortified mate, can't believe I didn't have Tommy Lee Jones' yearbook pictures to hand, utterly ashamed

Mik
January 11th, 2012, 7:31 PM
Thats okay.

Beefy
January 20th, 2012, 9:22 AM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog/2012/jan/18/lol-trailer-review-miley-cyrus

lol.

Guy
February 22nd, 2012, 6:41 PM
It's been a long time coming, but the lead role for A GOOD DAY TO DIE HARD, the fifth installment in the DIE HARD franchise, has been cast. Perhaps it took them so long because the role will be scrutinized so much, as it will be the son of legendary John McClane (Bruce Willis, natch).

The role has finally gone to none other than Jai Courtney.
http://www.joblo.com/newsimages1/die-hard-5.jpg

Who? Well he played Varro, one of the stars of "Spartacus: Vengeance", and beat a ton of actors vying for the part like Aaron Paul, Paul Walker and James Badge Dale.

A GOOD DAY TO DIE HARD puts McClane on an international stage, truly a NYC fish out of water in Moscow, and introduces his estranged son Jack (Courtney). An apple that has not fallen far from the tree, Jack may even be more of a hardass than his father. Despite their differences, they must work together to keep each other alive and keep the world safe for democracy.

This of course will allow them to restart the franchise with Courtney as the main protagonist, something similar to what they tried (and failed) with Shia Labeouf and INDIANA JONES.

John Moore (MAX PAYNE, THE OMEN, BEHIND ENEMY LINES) will direct the film, and likely have to hurry up with it because it's set for a romantic release date of February 14th, 2013.

After LIVE FREE AND DIE HARD I'm not sure how excited I am to see any more installments, but what do you folks think? Could some new blood be what the series needs?

Update: Here's a picture from a screen test with Willis and Courtney -
http://www.joblo.com/newsimages1/DIE%20HARD%20SCREEN%20TEST.jpg

Guy
March 29th, 2012, 2:04 AM
Ron Burgundy's "Anchorman" Announcement - CONAN on TBS - YouTube

McBain
March 29th, 2012, 2:07 AM
He should have announced it from ON TOP OF A MOUNTAIN.

Can't wait.

Guy
April 12th, 2012, 8:06 PM
SIN CITY fans the moment you have been waiting for has arrived, well, one of the moments.

A press release has come through the pipes announcing that production will begin on Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller's SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR. Excerpts from the press release are below:

“The first question I am always asked is “When will you make another Sin City? ,” said Rodriquez. “I have wanted to re-team with Frank Miller and return to the world he created since the day we wrapped the original, but have felt a duty to the fans to wait until we had something truly exceptional that would meet and exceed what have become epic expectations. A Dame To Kill For will certainly be worth the wait.”

"Sin City creator, screenwriter and co-director Frank Miller said, “The first Sin City knocked out audiences who had never seen anything like it before. Robert Rodriguez and I are going to shake things up and deliver a ferocious film experience that is going to go even further than the first.“

"The script and details of the film’s story have been kept tightly under wraps. Casting will begin next week, with many of the original cast expected to return. The film, a Quick Draw Production, will be produced by Rodriguez and producing partners Aaron Kaufman and Iliana Nikolic; and by Alexander Rodnyansky and Sergei Bespalov and Stephen L’Hereux. Miller, The Weinstein Company’s Harvey and Bob Weinstein and Miramax’s Adam Fields will act as executive producers. Sin City: A Dame to Kill For was developed by Frank Miller based upon his graphic novel, with a screenplay by Frank Miller and Academy Award winner William Monahan (The Departed). The film is expected to begin production this summer at Rodriguez’s Troublemaker Studios in Austin, Texas."

"Audiences have been clamoring for Sin City 2 with Robert and Frank for a long time and trust me, it will be worth the wait,” said Bob Weinstein, co-chairman of The Weinstein Company. “This will be my 11th collaboration with Robert in 16 years and he’s become a great friend. I look forward to continuing our long lasting relationship and partnering on more projects in the future.”

The Rick
May 8th, 2012, 11:59 PM
Mel Gibson: Machete or Sin City 2?
by Max Nicholson April 24, 2012
ign link (http://movies.ign.com/articles/122/1223610p1.html)

Mel Gibson is currently in talks to join Robert Rodriguez's Machete Kills, the upcoming sequel to the 2010 grindhouse film starring Danny Trejo. So what happened to Sin City 2?

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Gibson was said to be on the director's shortlist for Machete Kills, at least since last week. This comes as no surprise considering Rodriguez was seen at Gibson's Austin-set premiere of Get the Gringo, the actor's latest pic. But Gibson has also been rumored to be up for a part in Rodriguez's Sin City sequel; now it's not clear if it was actually Machete Kills that he had been talking to Rodriguez about all along.

Rodriguez will hopefully be shooting Machete Kills soon, followed by an immediate switch to Sin City 2. And who knows? Maybe Mel will show up in that one too!

So... if you absolutely had to pick. Which movie would you rather see Gibson in?

Personally I would like to see him in Machete Kills. A nice death scene suits him well I think.

Guy
May 9th, 2012, 3:15 AM
Machete Kills. Mainly because I've seen Gibson do noir action (Payback) and wouldn't mind seeing him as the OTT bad guy in a B-movie homage.

takerson
May 9th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Die Hard 5! :hyper:

McBain
May 9th, 2012, 10:26 AM
In other (shocking) news. Tom Gabel, frontman of the band Against Me!, has come out as transgender. He plans to live life as a woman name Laura:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/tom-gabel-of-against-me-comes-out-as-transgender-20120508

MENTAL.

Judas Iscariot
May 9th, 2012, 12:13 PM
In other (shocking) news. Tom Gabel, frontman of the band Against Me!, has come out as transgender. He plans to live life as a woman name Laura:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/tom-gabel-of-against-me-comes-out-as-transgender-20120508

MENTAL.

Yeah, I saw that last night. Trying to wrap my mind around it as Against Me! has been one of my favorite bands for years and he's had significant influence on my musical and political outlooks.

Good for her, though. Fucking ballsy thing to do.

MikeHunt
May 9th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Would you pump it now?

Bert
May 9th, 2012, 8:46 PM
The first time I got high I listened to Thrash Unreal like 50 times.

I wonder if that song was about her. :shifty:

Judas Iscariot
May 9th, 2012, 10:02 PM
Looking back at some lyrics going as far as 10 years ago or so it just seems like it was so blatantly obvious now in hindsight.

The Rick
May 30th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Musician Releases Album on Old Nintendo Cartridges
kotaku link (http://kotaku.com/5914149/musician-releases-album-on-old-nintendo-cartridges)
By Luke Plunkett May 30, 2012 1:00 AM

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2012/04/fort-atlantic-nes.jpg

Musician Jon Black, aka Fort Atlantic, has released his latest album on Nintendo Entertainment System cartridge. Not a replica case, not a reproduction, he's released it on actual NES carts.

It was an idea that started in Black's mind as a marketing gimmick, but amazingly, after some convincing, his label agreed to it.

That means his record label, Dualtone, had to hunt down dozens of old NES carts, scrub them up, and re-label them (the album itself is included on a flash drive). What makes this different from, say, chiptune artists who have done the same thing is that Black isn't what you'd call a games guy. His act isn't steeped in the culture.

Awesomely, the label even went and bought five golden Zelda carts, which were seeded amongst the original production run as limited edition "golden tickets" (and which contain extras like free concert tickets).

It's a neat idea, but one that's also met with a little resistance, mostly from history purists who baulk at what amounts to the "destruction" of an old game for little more than a few novel sales and some PR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtZJY1G0otw

Chris
June 12th, 2012, 1:24 PM
Bill Murray on Ghostbusters 3: "We'll try again".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsemDios52o

He seems more open to the idea than before. And I absolutely agree that I'd rather see it done right, than just pump out a shoddy sequel. The actors are getting on a bit now, though, so they better hurry up. The first one is one of my favourite films of all time, and I'd love to see those actors together again for one more round.

The Rick
June 27th, 2012, 12:24 PM
ign link (http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/27/ryan-reynolds-is-the-highlander-2)
by Chris Tilly June 27, 2012

Ryan Reynolds has been cast as Connor MacLeod in the forthcoming reboot of the Highlander franchise.

According to The Tracking Board - who broke the story - Reynolds has been in negotiations for the last month to play the immortal, who was a sword-happy Scot in the original.

There’s no word yet as to whether Reynolds will be attempting a Celtic brogue in the reboot, though we recently caught up with director Juan Carlos Fresnadillo, who told us the following about his vision for the flick, including whether or not he'll be using any of Queen's iconic soundtrack.

Guy
June 27th, 2012, 5:09 PM
How has he not made fucking Deadpool yet?

UncannyIowan
June 27th, 2012, 5:14 PM
I heard a rumor that Dan Akroyd penned a script where the OG Busters would hand over the business to 4 hot women, one of them being the daughter of a Ghostbuster. Weird, right?

Also, Deadpool would be a cool movie, but for some reason I have a feeling that some asshole would want to make it his own version and it would look like shit. The Wolverine movie kind of ruined Deadpool for me, makes it difficult for the fans who have seen that movie to invest into seeing Deadpool on the big screen when technically he died, I mean his fucking head was cut off, there's no coming back from decapitation.

Guy
June 27th, 2012, 5:27 PM
Also, Deadpool would be a cool movie, but for some reason I have a feeling that some asshole would want to make it his own version and it would look like shit. The Wolverine movie kind of ruined Deadpool for me, makes it difficult for the fans who have seen that movie to invest into seeing Deadpool on the big screen when technically he died, I mean his fucking head was cut off, there's no coming back from decapitation.

I direct you to this scan page here (http://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/313823.html?thread=7753183)

Guy
June 27th, 2012, 5:30 PM
Also to this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tvK9vaEJZc

But that's not the point, the movie doesn't have to be a sequel. Just a straight up Deadpool movie.

UncannyIowan
June 27th, 2012, 5:48 PM
My bad, I had never seen that until now.

I would love to see a Deadpool movie, he might catch on like Blade did. Blade wasn't exactly a Spider-Man level character, but man those movies are really good and make money. I think Deadpool COULD catch on like Blade or it could wind up as terrible as the last 2 Punisher movies. :(

The Rick
September 12th, 2012, 12:12 AM
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Complete Classic Series Collection 23-Disc DVD Set
Releases November 13, 2012.

amazon link (http://www.amazon.com/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Collection/dp/B009474UW4/ref=sr_tr_sr_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347422984&sr=8-1&keywords=tmnt+box+set)

TMNT Complete Classic Series Box Set Announced
superherohype link (http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/172537-tmnt-complete-classic-series-box-set-announced)

One of the coolest looking box sets we've seen in a while has just been put up for pre-order on Amazon, the "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Complete Classic Series Collection." The box is shaped like the Turtles' party van and nestled inside are the 23 discs that include all 193 episodes of the series and all the bonus content from the previous DVD releases. It's described as follows:

Experience the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle saga in this totally tubular 23-disc set of the original animated series, featuring all 10 seasons in one complete cowabunga collection! From their origins on the comic book page to the depths of Dimension X and beyond, the pizza-loving, shell-busting Leonardo™, Donatello™, Raphael™ and Michelangelo™, with the guidance of their Sensei, have been delighting fans for decades with their turtle power. Whether it’s facing fierce enemies Krang™, Shredder™ and Lord Dregg™, saving humanity from near extinction, or battling against life-altering mutations, the half-shell heroes are always ready for heart-stopping, time-bending, straight outta the sewer action!

The box set will be released on November 13th
http://cdn2.superherohype.com/images/stories/2012/September/tmnt_1_625.jpg
http://cdn1.superherohype.com/images/stories/2012/September/tmnt_3_625.jpg

Thought about making a box set thread, but I will leave that up to someone else.

McBain
September 12th, 2012, 12:25 AM
Fun fact:

I had the original party van toy and as a nipper I used the roof as a back shell when I dressed up as Raphael for a birthday party. :cool:

Guy
September 12th, 2012, 2:08 AM
http://www.badhaven.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/TMNT-Van-Toy.gif

This? This was a great toy, I had everything in this photo and more, I bloody loved the HERO Turtles. I don't know if I would care to own them all now though.

The set would look nice next to my Real Ghostbusters toys, firehouse and DVD Box set though.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/photosizer/upload/ghostbusters111308.jpg

McBain
September 12th, 2012, 2:30 AM
Yeah that!

I always wanted the gunge tower/building thing from Ghostbusters but alas. :(

Guy
September 12th, 2012, 2:10 PM
I have this

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/269866_10150661493875314_7887565_n.jpg

Next to this

http://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/554269_10151589467720314_693400022_n.jpg

There's a few other Real Ghostbusters figures (the helicopter, a load of the ghosts) Slimer/Terror Dog NECA figures, a whole bunch of stacked comics and tickets to the IMAX Ghostbusters screening all collected into one well presented corner of the room.

I'm a huge fucking loser.

:cool:

Beefy
October 1st, 2012, 6:00 AM
'Dumb & Dumber To', with Carrey & Daniels as well as the Farrelly's on board, has been confirmed.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/film-cinema/farrelly-brothers-officially-confirm-dumb-and-dumber-to-3241426.html

Fanny
October 1st, 2012, 4:22 PM
fuckiiiiiing YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!

The Rick
October 4th, 2012, 10:30 PM
Rambo Producers Game for Monopoly Movie
ign link (http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/04/rambo-producers-game-for-monopoly-movie)
by Jim Vejvoda October 4, 2012

Rambo Producers Game for Monopoly Movie
Emmett/Furla & Hasbro announce their plans together.

Hasbro announced a deal today with production company Emmett/Furla Films to finance and co-produce three films based on Hasbro properties in the next two years. The first movie to be produced will be Monopoly, which is slated to begin production in 2013.

The L.A. Times says the other two Hasbro properties getting the big screen treatment will be Action Man and ... wait for it ... Hungry, Hungry Hippo, the latter of which is expected to be an animated film.

Monopoly was previously set-up at Fox with Ridley Scott producing with an eye to direct it.

“We are thrilled to be working with Hasbro. Their iconic brands have translated into great entertainment enjoyed by audiences of all ages worldwide” said Randall Emmett, who will produce all three Hasbro films along with his partner George Furla, as well as Brandon Grimes. “We look forward to a very successful partnership and to bringing Monopoly to the big screen.”

Emmett/Furla Films' credits include End of Watch, Rambo, Conan the Barbarian, Righteous Kill, The Mechanic, and the remakes of The Wicker Man and The Amityville Horror.

Jimmy Zero
October 5th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Because Battleship was such a success.

Jacknife
October 5th, 2012, 10:14 AM
I thought it was internationally?

The_Mike
October 5th, 2012, 10:26 AM
It'd be interesting if they turn this blatant, absurd cash-in of Monopoly into some kind of social commentary about the excesses of capitalism. Seriously, though, fuck Hollywood and the fucking dead horse they're flogging as they ride in. The place is almost creatively bankrupt.

Jacknife
October 5th, 2012, 3:31 PM
Understand it though, you're more likely to have success with known properties than an original idea. It's now wonder whey there are so many sequels and reboots and remakes happening.

Chris
October 5th, 2012, 3:55 PM
There have been a number of films with original concepts or at least a refreshing twist on a traditional plot, especially in the sci-fi genre. I'm thinking Inception, District 9, Attack the Block, Source Code, Moon, etc just off the top of my head. I haven't seen Looper yet, but I imagine it would be up there as well.

Sequels are fine. Avengers 2 and Star Trek 2 (praying that it isn't called "Into Darkness) will kick ass. But sometimes a franchise should be allowed to settle before it's rebooted or remade. I like the Spiderman franchise, even if I find aspects of the films infuriating. But I had little desire to see it rebooted so soon, especially with the origin story told again. Same way I don't want to see another Batman film any time any time in the near future, simply because the franchise was wrapped up so well and Nolan's interpretation will be incredibly hard to top. But someone will be putting on the cape and cowl sooner rather than later for Justice League. And I can't view Justice League as anything but a knee-jerk reaction to Marvel's success with the Avengers, as opposed to a genuine desire to tell stories about some great characters.

Rip
October 5th, 2012, 4:03 PM
They don't have to do another Batman origin for JL at least, he's such a well known character they can start with him already in place as Batman and just deal with him joining.

The_Mike
October 8th, 2012, 1:19 PM
Understand it though, you're more likely to have success with known properties than an original idea. It's now wonder whey there are so many sequels and reboots and remakes happening.

I understand it, it's business, but it's not as if the movie industry wasn't making any money for decades before they stumbled upon this current formula.

There have been a number of films with original concepts or at least a refreshing twist on a traditional plot, especially in the sci-fi genre. I'm thinking Inception, District 9, Attack the Block, Source Code, Moon, etc just off the top of my head. I haven't seen Looper yet, but I imagine it would be up there as well.

I never said there have been no original films in the past few years. I said there have not been anywhere near as many as in previous decades, and I don't really think a handful of high concept films really says anything about the overall trend. When I go to the theatre, two thirds of the movie trailers I see are a remake, revisit or existing property.

Sequels are fine. Avengers 2 and Star Trek 2 (praying that it isn't called "Into Darkness) will kick ass. But sometimes a franchise should be allowed to settle before it's rebooted or remade. I like the Spiderman franchise, even if I find aspects of the films infuriating. But I had little desire to see it rebooted so soon, especially with the origin story told again. Same way I don't want to see another Batman film any time any time in the near future, simply because the franchise was wrapped up so well and Nolan's interpretation will be incredibly hard to top. But someone will be putting on the cape and cowl sooner rather than later for Justice League. And I can't view Justice League as anything but a knee-jerk reaction to Marvel's success with the Avengers, as opposed to a genuine desire to tell stories about some great characters.

Completely agreed. I didn't bother with Spiderman because it really wasn't that long ago I saw the story play out in at least a competent way (singing and dancing excepted). I look forward to Avengers 2 and Star Trek 2 because I like those properties, and there's nothing wrong with continuing to tell stories using them, but that doesn't mean the studios should sell films about board games instead of dusting off an original script every once in a while. Justice League really does have a whiff of "this formula worked, let's milk it" about it, but hopefully it will at least translate into a good film or two.

Mark84j
October 8th, 2012, 1:24 PM
'Dumb & Dumber To', with Carrey & Daniels as well as the Farrelly's on board, has been confirmed.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/film-cinema/farrelly-brothers-officially-confirm-dumb-and-dumber-to-3241426.html

We'll TAKE IT!!! :)

mth
October 8th, 2012, 1:39 PM
The L.A. Times says the other two Hasbro properties getting the big screen treatment will be Action Man and ... wait for it ... Hungry, Hungry Hippo, the latter of which is expected to be an animated film.

Aw man, they should go my way with it...
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/313211_10150399634313126_1215165735_n.jpg

Dream-Evil
October 8th, 2012, 2:38 PM
That is actually awesome.

Jimmy Zero
October 8th, 2012, 6:25 PM
This turning board games into movies thing reminds me of that old Mr. Show sketch Coupon: The Movie.

The Rick
May 29th, 2013, 3:36 PM
ign link (http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/29/should-movie-trailers-be-shorter)
by Scott Collura MAY 29, 2013

Should Movie Trailers Be Shorter?
Exhibitors are seeking to boost ticket sales with new marketing proposals.

The National Association of Theater Owners wants to make movie trailers shorter. The group is pushing for new rules that would limit the length of trailers to two minutes, making them 30 seconds shorter than the current standard.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, exhibitors want more control over how movies are marketed inside their theaters. "Theater owners, who feel the brunt of complaints from the public, believe trailers are often too long and can give away too much of the plot," says the trade.

The exhibitors think that cutting the length of trailers could increase ticket sales. But the Hollywood studios disagree that a two-and-a-half minute trailer is too long. The trade paper's sources say the studios "have reacted none too well when briefed on NATO's plan in recent days."

The studios currently follow the voluntary guidelines established by the MPAA that keeps trailers at 2.5 minutes, though each company is allowed one exception a year with a single, longer trailer.

Meanwhile, NATO is considering some other new rules too, including holding off on marketing a film until four months before release (with some exceptions). This is presumably meant to keep audiences from burning out on a project before it's released while also allowing exhibitors to better push the films that are currently in theaters.

Matty C
May 29th, 2013, 3:43 PM
Yes, it's the trailers keeping people away. Not the advertisements and concession prices...

Do you guys (Brits, Americans) get ads in the theatre or is this a Canadian thing? We get a ton of ads before the movie starts these days.

Mills
May 29th, 2013, 4:01 PM
I get them, but that's mainly because I go to the theater early to get great seats. Theres usually a 20 minute preshow that shows upcoming tvshows or product.no don't mind the trailer length, but I'd enjoy movies more if if wasn't $11 a ticket to take my wife out to a movie

The Rick
May 29th, 2013, 4:28 PM
Yes, it's the trailers keeping people away. Not the advertisements and concession prices...

I think they are just trying to fit in another showing of a film in a given day. Especially on an opening weekend, that could bolster numbers. I know that Iron Man 3, and Star Trek had quite a few people turned away when I saw them on their opening weekends.

Vice
May 29th, 2013, 4:31 PM
I would love it if movie trailers were like 90 seconds long.

The Rick
May 29th, 2013, 4:33 PM
ign link (http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/29/john-cena-and-cm-punk-to-voice-flintstones-characters)
by Matt Fowler MAY 29, 2013

John Cena and CM Punk to Voice Flintstones Characters
Boots to Bedrock.

About a year ago we wrote about how Seth MacFarlane's Flintstones reboot was permanently delayed, but now comes the news, via Deadline, that Warner Bros. and WWE Studios are teaming up for a new animated Flintstones movie - to be released worldwide on Blu-ray, DVD, VOD and digital download in 2015.

And being that it's a joint venture with the WWE, expect some notable WWE Superstars and Divas to make voice appearances - like John Cena as John Cenastone and CM Punk as CM Punkrock. And, naturally, Vince McMahon as Vince McMagma. Yes, Fred and Barney will attend a prehistoric WWE main event. No word on whether or not the only WWE star who wouldn't need to change his name, The Rock, will be involved.

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2013/05/collage.jpg

“WWE is family-friendly entertainment, so partnering with Warner Bros. on a Flintstones/WWE project was a natural extension of our Scooby Doo deal,” Michael Luisi, President, WWE Studios told Deadline. “This new, animated feature allows us to showcase our brand with young fans and loyal Flintstones enthusiasts alike.”

This news also comes after last summer's announcement that Warner Bros. and WWE Studios were teaming up for a new Scooby-Doo animated movie featuring a mystery at WrestleMania and the voices of Triple H, John Cena, Kane, The Miz, Brodus Clay, Santino Marella, Sin Cara, and AJ Lee.

The_Mike
May 29th, 2013, 7:02 PM

Do you guys (Brits, Americans) get ads in the theatre or is this a Canadian thing? We get a ton of ads before the movie starts these days.

Agreed. The advertisements are absolutely obnoxious, and ticket and concession prices are insane.

I remember the theatre I used to frequent in Glasgow had an annoying habit of randomly changing whether the showtime was the start of the film or the start of the commercials, so you didn't know if you could make it in time. Didn't help that the building was like 200 feet tall and people don't seem to understand that you can actually walk forward on an escalator. When I was really young, I swear every movie seemed to be about 20 minutes late to start, as well.

I like trailers. They can be annoying if they're for a bad film, but a well crafted trailer can be entertaining in its own right. At least a trailer is sort of what I paid a ludicrous amount of money to see. Elton John stealing Pepsi is not. Theater owners have destroyed enough good will among their customers without trying to force a change that serves no-one but themselves, and I do not take kindly to them pretending that they want to do this for my good and not for their bottom line.

Not marketing something that won't be out for a year seems reasonable, though. It just seems silly and pretentious to tell me "coming Christmas... well not this Christmas, the one after that... so in about eighteen months... try to remember". An interesting thing I've noticed in the US is that any film due out gets marketed to hell on TV about six weeks before the release date, up until the night it comes out. The UK seemed to only really have TV commercials for a film a week or two in advance. After all, what are you going to do about a film six weeks before its out? Anyway, more sensible trailer timing is reasonable, but it's not going to make more people come to the theater.

Mik
May 29th, 2013, 7:06 PM
I absolutely love trailers, but trailer editors seem to find it impossible to cut a trailer to 2 and a half minutes without spoiling the plot of the whole film (with a few exceptions). Cutting half a minute of them is not a bad thing to my mind. A 90 second trailer is about perfect.

Mik
June 1st, 2013, 5:59 AM
Phillip Seymour Hoffman has just completed a stint in rehab after becoming addicted to snorting heroin.

Further proof that EVERYONE in Hollywood is messed up.

Fro
June 22nd, 2013, 9:55 PM
WELCOME BACK TO EARTH!

Independence Day 2 is a go, release date July 3, 2015. Word is that Will Smith will not be back (too expensive), but Bill Pullman will be. Jeff Goldblum still up in the air.

The_Mike
June 22nd, 2013, 9:58 PM
Ugh.

Jimmy Zero
June 22nd, 2013, 10:01 PM
I hope it fails miserably.

Vice
June 22nd, 2013, 10:06 PM
http://i.imgur.com/JcZ4oRY.gif

Sequels find a way.

Atty
June 22nd, 2013, 10:19 PM
I hope they cast a generic black guy as Will Smith to see if Emmerich can tell the difference.

The Doc
June 22nd, 2013, 10:27 PM
ID4:2

:panic:

That is all.

mth
June 22nd, 2013, 11:02 PM
Yergh. I'm gonna to predict The Rock getting the lead.

The_Mike
June 22nd, 2013, 11:59 PM
Would Rock be significantly cheaper than Will Smith?

Though I am curious how Smith could be 'too expensive'. Studios throw stupid money at films like this, and what name are they going to get who isn't asking for enough money to bankroll half of Africa for the three months they are actually on set?

G-Fresh
June 23rd, 2013, 12:03 AM
I don't reckon that sounds very cool.

Canuck
June 23rd, 2013, 5:48 AM
Back to the trailer discussion for a second. Not only are they longer than they need to be, a lot of the time they give you no indication what the film is actually about. Sure there's a line between ruining a movie and giving it's plot.. but look at that new Ryan Gosling film for example. Shorter, to the point without ruining it. :yes:

Beefy
June 23rd, 2013, 6:44 AM
Yergh. I'm gonna to predict The Rock getting the lead.

The Rock vs the invading alien hoard....?

At least give the aliens a chance.

Mik
June 23rd, 2013, 7:44 AM
The Rock would be like $5m to Will Smith's $10m.

lotjx
June 23rd, 2013, 9:07 AM
Rock's starting salary has jump to at least 10 million or close to it this year considering he has had a movie in the top five since March.

Jimmy Zero
June 23rd, 2013, 11:16 AM
Is that according to you, or according to reality?

virms
June 23rd, 2013, 11:26 AM
According to Forbes the Rock averages 36 million per movie to Will Smith's 30.

They should just get Doakes from Dexter so when he blows up the mothership he can yell "SURPISE , MOTHERFUCKER!"

Mik
June 23rd, 2013, 11:42 AM
I think that actors salaries are about as misreported as you can get. Its hard to know exactly what one earns when you take things like executive producer credits and percentages of profits/merchandise etc.

I find it hard to judge whether they both earn considerably less than that per movie, or whether they both earn considerably more.

Tyson
June 23rd, 2013, 7:01 PM
When was the last time Will Smith made $10M for a movie? I'm guessing he's in the $20M+ ballpark.

Dwayne's price is probably getting huge now: Fast Five, GI Joe, Fast Six all made huge money at the box office, $550M+ between those three films. Hell, Pain and Gain almost broke even on its opening weekend. I'm guessing he's in the $10M+ range.

The Rick
September 1st, 2013, 8:45 PM
kotaku link (http://kotaku.com/hayao-miyazaki-is-retiring-1236597463)
by BRIAN ASHCRAF Today 4:47pm

Hayao Miyazaki Is Retiring

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18yuhgvm71t8fjpg/ku-bigpic.jpg

The famed director of My Neighbor Totoro and numerous other classic anime is retiring. The recently released Kaze Tachinu will be the 72 year-old Miyazaki's final feature film.P

According to Japan's Cinema Today (http://www.cinematoday.jp/page/N0056039), Studio Ghibli exec Kouji Hoshino announced the news this Sunday at the Venice Film Festival, where Kaze Tachinu is being shown. P

"Please understand that on that today, I won't be able to answer any questions about the retirement," Hoshino explained to the international press at the Venice Film Festival. "He sincerely wants to say good-bye to everyone." P

Yomiuri reports that Miyazaki will talk this Friday in Tokyo about his retirement and what it means. P

宮崎駿監督、『風立ちぬ』で引退 ジブリ社長がベネチアで発表【第70回ベネチア国際映画祭】 [Cinema Today]

Peter Griffin
September 1st, 2013, 8:54 PM
I liked Spirited Away and Ponyo, Thats all I know of Ghibli.

Fro
April 26th, 2014, 2:09 PM
Steven Spielberg is going to direct an adaptation of Roald Dahl's The BFG. Cool.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/steven-spielberg-roald-dahls-the-bfg-1201164423/