PDA

View Full Version : Rank the sitcoms currently on TV

Fro
October 25th, 2011, 2:09 PM
Just curious what people think the best sitcoms are at the moment. Obviously this will change pretty much every year as shows rise and fall so you can update your list over time. For me right now:

1. Modern Family
2. Parks and Rec
3. The League
4. Workaholics
5. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
6. Curb Your Enthusiasm
7. Louie
8. The Middle
9. The Office
10. 30 Rock
11. The Big Bang Theory

Those are the ones I still watch on a regular basis. Modern Family and P&R stand out well above everything else and are easily the best two sitcoms of the moment IMO. Always Sunny is having a less-than-stellar season this year otherwise it would probably be 3rd. The Office and 30 Rock are both shadows of their former selves and on their way out the door. Ditto with How I Met Your Mother which is now completely unwatchable, hence it not even making my list.

What do you think?

Chris Dolmeth
October 25th, 2011, 2:14 PM
1. Always Sunny in Philadelphia
2. Modern Family
3. Workaholics
4. Parks and Rec
5. Raising Hope
6. Community
7. The Middle
8. Wilfred
9. The Office
10. The League

This season of The League has been disappointing, to me. Didn't watch the last season of Louie, still gotta get to that.

G-Fresh
October 25th, 2011, 2:16 PM
Workaholics is the only shit like that I fuck with.

Fro
October 25th, 2011, 2:17 PM
I've been liking The League this year.

Tacote. It's when people from the twelve tribes of Israel come together with people who are high on mushrooms and groove to Aphex Twin.

Atty
October 25th, 2011, 2:48 PM
I suspect I'd love Modern Family, but have never watched it. So, currently...

1. Parks and Recreation
2. 30 Rock
3. Community
4. The Office

I'm sure there are a bunch of others that I'm not thinking of. I really haven't cared for The Office much since Steve left. It would have dominated a year ago. Parks and Rec has been amazing from the start of the second season on. I stopped watching during the first season but caught the rest on Netflix a year ago and have been hooked since.

Chris Dolmeth
October 25th, 2011, 2:50 PM
Parks is great. Ron Swanson might be my favorite character on tv right now.

Bert
October 25th, 2011, 3:00 PM
1. Wilfred
2. Community
3. Raising Hope
4. Modern Family
5. Parks & Rec
6. Happy Endings
7. Always Sunny
8. 30 Rock
9. The Office
10. How I Met Your Mother
11. 2 Broke Girls
12. New Girl
13. Up All Night
14. Big Bang Theory
15. The Middle

Yes I do watch a lot of TV. And this is just sitcoms.

I didn't include Glee or How To Make It In America because Glee is an hour and How To Make It In America isn't your typical comedy much like Entourage wasn't.

Chris Dolmeth
October 25th, 2011, 3:01 PM
Holy fuck, I forgot about Raising Hope.

Fro
October 25th, 2011, 3:02 PM
Wilfred's that good huh? I can't get past the goofy premise and my distaste for Elijah Wood in anything other than LOTR.

I forgot The Middle. Quality show.

Chris Dolmeth
October 25th, 2011, 3:08 PM
I keep changing my list up. Wilfred is great, I'm not a fan of Elijah, but he does well in it.

Bert
October 25th, 2011, 3:13 PM
Wilfred's that good huh? I can't get past the goofy premise and my distaste for Elijah Wood in anything other than LOTR.

I forgot The Middle. Quality show.

Wilfred is amazing. So glad I gave it a chance because I thought it would be shit.

The Middle is a good show but I don't really find it laugh out loud funny usually. I still keep watching though.

Dubya
October 25th, 2011, 4:09 PM

Agreed.

1. Parks & Rec
2. The League
3. Workaholics
4. The Office
5. Blue Mountain State

That's really about all I'm watching right now on top of all the sports and non-sitcoms shows.

LOCONUT
October 25th, 2011, 4:12 PM
The league(by a mile)
Workaholics
Modern Family
The Office

LOCONUT
October 25th, 2011, 4:14 PM
Its Always Sunny has fallen off a lot to me. Still my #5.

Chris Dolmeth
October 25th, 2011, 4:30 PM
I don't get the hate for this season of Sunny.

Fro
October 25th, 2011, 4:34 PM
It's been very hit or miss. The Shadynasty episode was horrendous, and I didn't really like the audit or beauty contest episodes either. The Jersey Shore, Pretty Woman and Hurricane ones were good though.

Chris Dolmeth
October 25th, 2011, 4:37 PM
The only episode I thought was really bad was the beauty contest one.

Sweet_Chin_Music
October 25th, 2011, 5:08 PM
1. Modern Family
2. Louie
3. Futurama
4. The Office
5. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
6. Last Man Standing
7. How I Met Your Mother

Ochoa
October 25th, 2011, 5:56 PM
I really like the Middle too. I honestly don't watch much tv, except for what's on DVR. I do love me some Modern Family though. I watch a lot of ABC stuff.

Mik
October 25th, 2011, 5:58 PM
Surprised to see only one Big Bang Theory. Love it.

Chris Dolmeth
October 25th, 2011, 6:03 PM
I thought about adding Big Bang, but I really only watch it when there's nothing else to watch.

Bert
October 25th, 2011, 6:18 PM
Surprised to see only one Big Bang Theory. Love it.

It gets a lot of shit because of the laugh track but there were a couple of nights where for me it was the best comedy on that night. The last episode was kind of meh for me though so that's why it's lower.

Chris Dolmeth
October 25th, 2011, 6:24 PM
Outside of Sheldon and Blossom, I don't find anyone on the show very funny.

eldanielfire
October 25th, 2011, 6:26 PM
Modern Family
Futurama (if it counts)
How I Met your Mother
Community
The Big Bang Theory

Seanny One Ball
October 25th, 2011, 8:35 PM
The Office
30 Rock
The Big Bang Theory
The Middle

Those are my favourite North American sitcoms right now.

I don't understand why so many people claim to hate The Big Bang Theory. I think it's lovely.

wardy
October 25th, 2011, 8:37 PM
I think it's awful. I've tried to watch it a few times but all it ever does is make me a bit angry at how unfunny it is.

Seanny One Ball
October 25th, 2011, 8:39 PM
Ever met a guy called Neil Stuchbury?

wardy
October 25th, 2011, 8:43 PM
No, sounds like a gimp though. Probably watches the Big Bang Theory.

Seanny One Ball
October 25th, 2011, 8:47 PM
Nah he hates it, calls me a gimp for watching it.

I love Neil Stuchbury.

Canuck
October 25th, 2011, 9:20 PM
The big bang theory is just the same joke over and over again. One of the nerds says something extremely smart which everyone just assumes is funny. It's boring after one episode.

2 Broke girls seems like it has potential to sky rocket up these lists. I'm loving it.

Bert
October 25th, 2011, 9:28 PM
It's weird that you should say that Hurley since 2 Broke Girls uses the same formula for jokes and just replaces "smart" with "slutty."

Fro
October 25th, 2011, 9:43 PM
I like Big Bang and used to watch it regularly but it got to be a little too much of the same. Now I only watch it on occasion, which is why it (barely) missed my list.

Jim Parsons getting the last couple emmy's over Carell is a travesty though.

virms
October 25th, 2011, 9:44 PM
Modern Family easily takes first place.

Other than that I would have to list in no particular order....

It's Always Sunny
Raising Hope
The Office
30 Rock
How I Met Your Mother
Chuck

If you can count animation then I have
The Simpsons
South Park
Family Guy
Futurama

If this was a list of favorite tv shows on the air the list would be insanely different.

1. An Idiot Abroad
2. The Walking Dead
3. Dexter
4. Modern Family

blackening
October 25th, 2011, 10:14 PM
Great to see the love for Workaholics. Love that show.

Brian M.
October 25th, 2011, 11:49 PM
1. Parks and Rec
2. Always Sunny
3. Modern Family
4. Curb Your Enthusiasm (haven't seen this past season, just going on prior seasons)
5. Louie
6. Community
7. The League
8. How I Met Your Mother
9. The Big Bang Theory
10. The Office

There are other ones I watch but I decided to keep the list at 10. I'm shocked at the number of people who think this season of Always Sunny has fallen off. I've absolutely loved it. I even liked the Shadynasty episode that everyone else hated. Then again I don't think that show has ever had a bad run, while most people think it hasn't been the same since season 4. Meh.

It's amazing the quality of comedy on TV right now though...all of the shows I listed are shows that I actively look forward to each week. Suburgatory is really close to overtaking The Office, but since it's only had about 4 episodes I can't properly judge it yet. Watch it if you haven't though, it's hilarious.

I noticed someone listed Last Man Standing. I refuse to watch that show as it looks like a pile of garbage and I hate Tim Allen.

Chris Dolmeth
October 25th, 2011, 11:53 PM
Yeah, I haven't watched Last Man Standing for the same reason.

I forgot about Suburgatory, pretty funny show.

Sweet_Chin_Music
October 26th, 2011, 12:16 AM
I noticed someone listed Last Man Standing. I refuse to watch that show as it looks like a pile of garbage and I hate Tim Allen.

I've watched the first couple of episodes and it reminds me of Home Improvement (not surprisingly), and I always enjoyed that show so it's the same story with Last Man Standing.

Dr Isaac Yankem DDS
October 26th, 2011, 12:42 AM
1. The Office
2. How I met your mother
3. Community
4. Franklin and Bash (Not sure if it counts nor do I care because it's great)
5. The League
6. How to make it in America
7. New Girl.

QuietStorm
October 26th, 2011, 12:46 AM
1. Louie
2. Parks and Rec
3. Always Sunny
4. Workaholics
5. Modern Family
6. 30 Rock
7. The Office
8. Wilfred
9. Raising Hope
10. Futurama

I'm sure The League will eventually crack the list, but I haven't started watching it yet.

eldanielfire
October 26th, 2011, 4:06 AM
The big bang theory is just the same joke over and over again. One of the nerds says something extremely smart which everyone just assumes is funny. It's boring after one episode.

2 Broke girls seems like it has potential to sky rocket up these lists. I'm loving it.

As a Scientist many of the jokes have a wonderful another level to them.

son_of_foley
October 26th, 2011, 7:50 AM
How I met your mother has gone so far down hill it's a pain

Seanny One Ball
October 26th, 2011, 9:33 AM
It has always been shite so how much further could it have fallen?

son_of_foley
October 26th, 2011, 9:38 AM
Last years season was repulsive television

Canuck
October 26th, 2011, 11:24 AM
It's weird that you should say that Hurley since 2 Broke Girls uses the same formula for jokes and just replaces "smart" with "slutty."

No not at all. BBT is essentially the exact same joke over and over again.

eldanielfire
October 26th, 2011, 12:40 PM
How I met your mother has gone so far down hill it's a pain

I think it's still good, it's just stretching out the concept to far and the teases and "lessons learned" have become repetative. I suspect that it's popularity has made it a victim of it's own success. The Mother story has been on pause since season 4 with just random girls who never turn out to be the mother. I think they may actually be scared of revealing who the mother is in acse they blow it now.

It still provides regular laughs but they need to end the story and give Barney his own spin-off show. Lets face it that's what everybody wants.

Bert
October 26th, 2011, 1:48 PM
No not at all. BBT is essentially the exact same joke over and over again.

And 2 Broke Girls is also. What are you not comprehending about that? lololol 9 inches, like a penis get it. lol blowjob joke, lol another joke about how Max is such a slut, it's the same thing over and over. I still watch it, but it really is.

Olympus
October 26th, 2011, 1:56 PM
Since Big Bang Theory has moved to TBS I've been watching it quite a bit, and I haven't enjoyed a show that much in a long time.

Fro
October 26th, 2011, 1:57 PM
I forgot about Curb. It's near the top of my list (even though it's only on 10 weeks a year).

Mr. Boombastic
October 26th, 2011, 3:15 PM
1. Workaholics
2. The Office
3. South Park
4. Always Sunny
5. Family Guy
6. Big Bang Theory

Workaholics has been my favorite show lately, it feels like Sunny did about 3 or 4 years ago.

South Park and Always Sunny have both been hit or miss more than completely terrible lately though, at least, they havent totally jumped the shark.

dunno
October 26th, 2011, 3:51 PM
Parks and Recreation
Modern Family
Community
The League
The Office

virms
October 26th, 2011, 6:59 PM
Yeah I forgot Curb as well. It is probably tied with Modern Family on all honesty.

Simmo Fortyone
October 26th, 2011, 9:39 PM
1. Peep Show
2. Wilfred
3. 30 Rock
4. The Office
5. Always Sunny

Honorable mention goes to At Home With Julia. Aussie show based on our Prime Minister's life. Wasn't over the top like most Australian satire is, and the people playing the various politicians were spot on.

Simmo Fortyone
October 26th, 2011, 9:41 PM
Also, my new housemate has put me on to Blue Mountain State. Is that popular in the States?

Bert
October 26th, 2011, 9:46 PM
Also, my new housemate has put me on to Blue Mountain State. Is that popular in the States?

Not really, but it's an alright show.

AU Wilfred or US Wilfred?

Simmo Fortyone
October 26th, 2011, 9:56 PM
US. AU is years old so not really current.

Watched a couple of eps of BMS. I love a good dumb comedy. I'll probably watch some more over some beers on Friday night.

Dubya
October 26th, 2011, 11:17 PM
I like Blue Mountain State. It's pretty stupid, but its pretty funny too. Sammy and Thad both crack me up beyond belief. Adding it to my list cuz I forgot it.

Atty
October 26th, 2011, 11:41 PM

That's a wonderful point, Vice.

Dubya
October 26th, 2011, 11:45 PM
It's worth repeating. Ron Swanson is the best character on TV right now.

grimshaw
October 26th, 2011, 11:59 PM
I don't think Swansons is even the best on Parks and Rec. Rob Lowe steals the show easily.

Atty
October 27th, 2011, 12:03 AM
Rob Lowe destroys me ever scene he's in. And Aubrey Plaza. Oh, perfect little Aubrey Plaza... :heart:

Aussie_Outlaw
October 27th, 2011, 12:23 AM
My list, I haven't included animation in this list. Is there a reason Archer hasn't appeared in this thread yet, it's not exactly weekly (in break from a few weeks ago to early 12), but it's airing this season.

The League
Archer
Parks & Rec
Community
Modern Family
Always Sunny
Blue Mountain State
How I Met Your Mother
30 Rock
The Office
The Big Bang Theory
Two and a Half Men
Up All Night

Eggbert Spam
October 27th, 2011, 3:24 AM
I really like Archer. I didn't think I'd get used to Bob's voice on a character like that but now I couldn't imagine any other voice.

I'm sure this has already been covered but fucking hell, Big Bang Theory?

Bert
October 27th, 2011, 3:34 AM

It has.

It gets a lot of shit because of the laugh track but there were a couple of nights where for me it was the best comedy on that night.

In my opinion, "fucking hell, Two and a Half Men?" holds more weight.

grimshaw
October 27th, 2011, 4:27 AM
Big Bang Theory's quite good (and oddly more accurate than people think - the only real "issue" is that no nerds have time to be into quite so many things, and have to pick only a couple. Also no way would they buy alienware laptops :/).

Tim
October 27th, 2011, 4:42 AM
I don't watch many sitcoms. I watched a few episodes of Big Bang Theory, Modern Family and 30 Rock to see what the hype was about and didn't care for any of them. I was kinda into Wilfred but lost interest about the 4-5th episode and stopped watching.

1. Raising Hope
2. New Girl
3. Sunny...

Sunny was number 1 before this season.

Seanny One Ball
October 27th, 2011, 9:07 AM

It's a good show when you have nothing else to watch.

It's not something you stick on when An Idiot Abroad is available though.

I agree wholeheartedly with Bert in his "Fucking hell Two and a Half Men?" response.

Everybody Loves Raymond should still get made, it was brilliant for that reason alone. "Nothing on? I guarantee Raymond is!"

grimshaw
October 27th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Big Bang Theory is a whole lot better than an idiot abroad*.

*gigantic OG pilkington fan here.

Canuck
October 27th, 2011, 11:33 AM
And 2 Broke Girls is also. What are you not comprehending about that? lololol 9 inches, like a penis get it. lol blowjob joke, lol another joke about how Max is such a slut, it's the same thing over and over. I still watch it, but it really is.

There's a difference in using the same themed joke, and using the exact same joke.

VanillaJello
October 27th, 2011, 11:56 AM
1. Modern Family
2. Parks and Rec
3. Raising Hope
4. Happy Endings
5. Always Sunny
6. South Park
7. Community
8. The League
9. The Middle
10. The Office

Matty C
October 27th, 2011, 1:14 PM
I don't really watch sitcoms anymore. Modern Family is the only one I watch regularly.

I tried Big Bang and wanted to kill Sheldon after 1 episode. He's not funny, he's incredibly annoying.

I tried 30 Rock and while it certainly had it moments, I didn't get hooked.

My wife tried to get me into Raising Hope but although I found it funny that the girl from Goonies is a grandmother in it, once again it didn't grab me.

I guess I'm just not a sitcom guy anymore.

Bert
October 27th, 2011, 1:52 PM
There's a difference in using the same themed joke, and using the exact same joke.

And Big Bang Theory uses the same themed joke. Sheldon is smarter than everyone else.

Bazinga
October 27th, 2011, 3:19 PM
Sheldon isn't the one that I originally hated on Big Bang. First it was Walowitz. The ridiculously over-the-top hitting on women was bad. "Haven't you ever been told how beautiful you are in flawless Russian?" Ugh.

Now I'm not liking Raj. He reminds me of a guy I work with who thinks he can have any woman he wants just because she shows him the slightest amount of attention.

The episode where Sheldon has to pretend to be happy for Raj's People Magazine article, and the one where Sheldon gets sick are two of the funniest they've done. The scene where Penny gives Sheldon Leonard Nimoy's napkin still puts me in stitches.

I agree with the comment earlier about HIMYM being a shell of it's former self. I was a HUGE fan, but it's gotten to a point where I just want to know who the hell the Mom is. Though, I did like the Martin Short stuff this season.

Modern Family definitely sits as my #1.

Simmo Fortyone
October 28th, 2011, 8:52 PM
And yet you chose the word Bazinga as a username...

HIMYM is waaaaay past it's best because CBS are obviously just milking it and the writers are struggling to draw the story out. I do like to hold hope that they're saving all their best shit for the final few episodes, and that when it finally goes through the last season it will be brilliant.

Simmo Fortyone
October 28th, 2011, 8:52 PM
And yet you chose the word Bazinga as a username...

HIMYM is waaaaay past it's best because CBS are obviously just milking it and the writers are struggling to draw the story out. I do like to hold hope that they're saving all their best shit for the final few episodes, and that when it finally goes through the last season it will be brilliant.

Brian M.
October 30th, 2011, 8:26 PM
I still enjoy watching HIMYM just because I enjoy the universe they've created, as well as the supporting cast. Yeah it's not as good as it was in seasons 1-4 but it's still more than watchable.

I've honestly never given a fuck who the mother ends up being. It's going to be someone we don't have any emotional attachment to, more than likely.

virms
October 30th, 2011, 9:42 PM
Unless it's Lily.

BOOM LOST

Dubya
November 7th, 2011, 8:04 PM
Your apple cider tastes like piss, Larry.

"C-Word" was probably one of the better Blue Mountain State episodes they've done. I really like this show, but it really is hit or miss from week to week. The characters in the show are great, but sometimes the plot is almost too stupid to get behind. This week was good though.

Aussie_Outlaw
November 7th, 2011, 8:38 PM
I find the episodes which revolve around Thad being the better ones. He seems to be able to make a completely idiotic plot seem reasonable. (Dick Pics for example)

Dubya
November 10th, 2011, 10:09 PM
Yeah, Thad and Sammy crack me up.

I've really started to like that Man Up! show on ABC a lot. Dan Folger is fucking hilarious.

Updated list ..

1. Parks & Rec
2. The League
3. Workaholics
4. New Girl
5. Blue Mountain State
6. Man Up!
7. The Office

Fro
November 15th, 2011, 10:29 PM
I gave New Girl a watch finally. Zooey is perfectly dorky and incredibly hot in the young Liz Lemon type role, but the rest of the cast is very by the numbers and dull. You could exchange the male cast of this and the male cast of Happy Endings and I don't think anyone would notice. It's still easily the best new sitcom of the year though. I'll keep watching.

Dubya
November 15th, 2011, 10:47 PM
Agreed. Outside of her, there's nothing overly special about it.. but its still pretty good. Added it to my list.

Cewsh
November 15th, 2011, 10:53 PM
I enjoy it a lot. Watching it right now.

Simmo Fortyone
November 15th, 2011, 11:03 PM
Halfway through season 2 of Parks and Rec. Why the fuck haven't I been watching this?

Might get cracking on The League next since folks are rating it highly

Atty
November 15th, 2011, 11:09 PM
Parks really took off mid season two and hasn't looked back since.

Brian M.
November 16th, 2011, 12:03 AM
The League is pretty briskly climbing up my list. This season has been amazing.

Happy Endings is having a really good run as well. I love Damon Wayans Jr. Plus I get to look at Elisha. Can't ask for much more from a show than that.

Brian M.
November 16th, 2011, 12:03 AM
Double post...so umm...looks like Community may be getting cancelled soon. It's off of the mid-season schedule. That stinks.

virms
November 16th, 2011, 5:24 PM
Parks really took off mid season two and hasn't looked back since.

It is pretty well done. I wish I would have been watching it back when 30I rock was still really fresh to me. Would have love to compared the two side by side.

Jack Donaguey (sp) vs. Ron Swanson would be amazing.

VanillaJello
November 16th, 2011, 11:22 PM
Happy Endings is climbing up my list.

Consistently getting laughs out of me each week now.

Simmo Fortyone
December 25th, 2011, 11:23 PM
1. Peep Show
2. Wilfred
3. 30 Rock
4. The Office
5. Always Sunny

Honorable mention goes to At Home With Julia. Aussie show based on our Prime Minister's life. Wasn't over the top like most Australian satire is, and the people playing the various politicians were spot on.

So I'm completely revising my list based on the last few weeks of viewing habits

1. Blue Mountain State (Thad Castle being 90% of the reason, Mary Jo the other 10)
2. Happy Endings
3. Parks & Rec
4. The League
5. The Office

Still got love for 30 Rock and Peep Show. Big Bang Theory is good if there's nothing else on but all eps get replayed ad nauseum so I reckon I've seen all of seasons 1-3 about seven times. Never got in to Modern Family, and Community is shit.

virms
December 26th, 2011, 5:22 PM
Jesus simmo... Modern Family is amazing you should really do half a season before you give up on it.

Myself, Big Bang Theory is shit but I will admit to barely watching an episode but from what I hear you can pretty much replace any episode with another. I would be willing to take this to the challenge thread. If you wanted. 2 seasons of big bang vs modern family.

Bert
December 26th, 2011, 7:43 PM
So I'm completely revising my list based on the last few weeks of viewing habits

1. Blue Mountain State (Thad Castle being 90% of the reason, Mary Jo the other 10)
2. Happy Endings
3. Parks & Rec
4. The League
5. The Office

Still got love for 30 Rock and Peep Show. Big Bang Theory is good if there's nothing else on but all eps get replayed ad nauseum so I reckon I've seen all of seasons 1-3 about seven times. Never got in to Modern Family, and Community is shit.

Blue Mountain State is alright but having that #1 and then saying Community is shit just baffles me.

Also, since you like The League you should post in the thread.

MikeHunt
December 26th, 2011, 7:47 PM
Community is shit, and your boyfriend rapper from it isn't much better.

Bert
December 26th, 2011, 8:00 PM
Community is fucking great. Donald Glover is amazing.

MikeHunt
December 26th, 2011, 8:00 PM
WRONG!

Simmo Fortyone
December 29th, 2011, 2:50 AM
Blue Mountain State is alright but having that #1 and then saying Community is shit just baffles me.

Also, since you like The League you should post in the thread.

I watched the first 5 or 6 eps of Community due to Chevy Chase but nothing really caught me and I just didn't stick with it. Seen about 3 or 4 random other episodes and I just didn't get into it.

Will get in that thread when I'm caught up. Up to season 2 ep 6 :yes:

grimshaw
December 29th, 2011, 3:24 AM
Community was good for a long while but Donald Glover is pretty poor.

Dr Isaac Yankem DDS
December 30th, 2011, 1:35 AM
Community is fucking great. Donald Glover is amazing.

This is 100% correct.

Bert, did you ever see Mystery Team?

Bert
December 30th, 2011, 1:49 AM
This is 100% correct.

Bert, did you ever see Mystery Team?

Multiple times. It's also where I first saw Aubrey Plaza and Ellie Kemper before they were on TV.

Oh, and there's a great deleted scene on Youtube somewhere if you haven't seen it.

Brian M.
January 1st, 2012, 8:44 PM
The League might be my number one now. Jesus what a fucked up, hilarious show.

thetony
January 2nd, 2012, 12:23 AM
Does everyone else agree that Andre is the best thing on that show?

poor poor Andre..

Sancty
January 2nd, 2012, 1:48 AM
I dig this conversation. I'm actually planning on dusting off the "Top 25 Sitcoms Ever" concept for another go.

It's been 4 years since the original and I think it'd be good to run it again like the Olympics

Bert
January 2nd, 2012, 2:03 AM
I dig this conversation. I'm actually planning on dusting off the "Top 25 Sitcoms Ever" concept for another go.

It's been 4 years since the original and I think it'd be good to run it again like the Olympics
Just make sure you can finish what you start.

Sancty
January 2nd, 2012, 2:13 AM
Fully deserved.

I did the first time around. The second go-around will be my redemption.

Brian M.
January 2nd, 2012, 2:44 PM
Community was good for a long while but Donald Glover is pretty poor.

Huh? Donald Glover is the best part of that show. His reactions to everything are great.

Does everyone else agree that Andre is the best thing on that show?

poor poor Andre..

I prefer Ruxin and Kevin, but the whole cast is just pitch perfect. There really isn't a weak link.

grimshaw
January 3rd, 2012, 3:10 AM
Huh? Donald Glover is the best part of that show. His reactions to everything are great.

I prefer Ruxin and Kevin, but the whole cast is just pitch perfect. There really isn't a weak link.

You're not sick of his two-three faces yet? I've seen his eyes get big and wide, I'm bored with it, and a guy whose fake crying is so unconvincing ought not base so much of his humour around fake crying. The strength of Community has always been the writing and the ensemble. Glover got no range.

Just started on The League; I don't care for the Taco really, I think if he was a little less cartoonish I would like the show a lot more. Not saying he's poorly cast mind you.

Simmo Fortyone
January 4th, 2012, 7:27 AM
I was of the same opinion, but it changed towards the end of Season 2. He gets better :yes:

It's all in the writing but I reckon Ellie is the funniest child character on television ever.

And Ruxin is the best.

thetony
January 4th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Ruxin has to be my least favourite out of the group. I enjoy Taco, but mainly because he's from Canada.

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvy2nl97hD1qej293o1_500.jpg

Fro
January 4th, 2012, 9:08 PM
Taco reminds me a lot of Will Ferrell in his delivery of lines. I can see why one would find him cartoonish, but I like him. Cracks me up.

Andre is the best tho.

grimshaw
January 4th, 2012, 11:33 PM
It's only that the others are so realistically drawn as characters that 'jobless stoner who gets all the girls' seems out of place.

Brian M.
January 6th, 2012, 1:59 AM
TICKLE ME AND RUB MY BELLY!

Shit never gets old.

Hobbit
January 9th, 2012, 4:38 PM
I know this isn't the spirit of the thread but I couldn't be fucked to start another one solely about this as quite frankly, it doesn't deserve it. I felt I had to warn everyone.

I was unfortunate enough to catch some of recent Irish import 'Mrs Brown's Boys' on telly lately.

I would honestly probably rather die than watch it again. I cannot emphasise enough how shit it was, and I've seen Miranda and My Family and several ages worth of the ITV network in the last 24 years.

Properly hardcore rubbish. Literally avoid it like the plague. People who rate it are definately child molesting rapist creationists.

wardy
January 9th, 2012, 4:48 PM
It's absolutely fucking awful. I know millions of people who love it and it does my tits in.

turdpower
January 9th, 2012, 5:00 PM
I've only seen the advert and I know I don't want any part of it.

MikeHunt
January 9th, 2012, 5:08 PM
all the cunts at my work fucking talk about it all the time and quote it. I hate it.

Should come with an only for idiots warning.

eldanielfire
January 10th, 2012, 7:13 PM
A Uk sit-com, I've caught-up with Outnumbered, it's brilliant, especially the two younger kids :lol:

Fro
April 4th, 2012, 9:52 PM
With this season about in the books, here are my updated rankings:

1. Parks and Rec - Has surpassed Modern Family for best in show. It's just hitting on all levels right now.
2. Modern Family - Good season, not quite as good as the previous one, but still tops.
3. Always Sunny - Still going strong.
4. The Office - Came roaring back after a slow start to the season. Recently found its stride without Steve Carell.
5. Workaholics - I need more of this show. Now.
6. Curb Your Enthusiasm - Hard to rank this since it's on so infrequently with short seasons, but it's still superb when it's on.
7. Happy Endings - This one has really come together nicely of late.
8. The League - Didn't get much worse in season 3, but didn't progress at all either.
9. The Middle - Best traditional family sitcom around.
10. New Girl - Breakout show with a quality first season. The black guy is pretty useless comedically but the rest of the characters are great.
11. 30 Rock - Slacking, but still watchable.
12. Louie - This show is great, it's just more of a dramedy than sitcom. Tough to rank it here. Sometimes it's too dull.
13. The Big Bang Theory - This show started out great but its longevity is questionable.
14. How I Met Your Mother - Turned sharply south in the middle of season 6, I think.

Not included: Eastbound and Down. Haven't seen any of season 3 yet.

LOCONUT
April 4th, 2012, 11:25 PM
I think the League took some major steps backward last season after a brilliant Season 2.

I also rate Curb as my top sitcom. Quality over quantity on that one. I don't think there is a funnier show on TV.

I thought Modern Family had a major rebound year after what I felt was a lackluster showing the previous year. Workaholics certainly jumps up for me as well.

I don't really watch too many other comedies, though I still enjoy The Office and I also really enjoyed Life is Too Short.

virms
April 4th, 2012, 11:41 PM
Been enjoying the shit out of Justified the last four or so episodes.

Have to agree with Fro. Parks has really just become the cream of the crop. Rob Swanson is by far the best character on TV.

Bert
April 5th, 2012, 1:32 AM
10. New Girl - Breakout show with a quality first season. The black guy is pretty useless comedically but the rest of the characters are great.

Racist.

Winston singing Wicked in the car was hilarious.

Hannah Simone is a large part of why I watch the show though. She is so damn fine.

Atty
April 5th, 2012, 3:11 AM
I suspect I'd love Modern Family, but have never watched it. So, currently...

1. Parks and Recreation
2. 30 Rock
3. Community
4. The Office

I'm sure there are a bunch of others that I'm not thinking of. I really haven't cared for The Office much since Steve left. It would have dominated a year ago. Parks and Rec has been amazing from the start of the second season on. I stopped watching during the first season but caught the rest on Netflix a year ago and have been hooked since.

Amended rankings. I've seen the entire runs of HIMYM and Modern Family since this, so:

1. Modern Family
2. Parks and Rec
3. 30 Rock
4. HIMYM (Probably inflated due to watching in short order and older stuff blurring in with newer episodes)
5. The Office

Simmo Fortyone
April 5th, 2012, 8:27 AM
For me it goes

1. Parks & Rec
2. Happy Endings
3. 30 Rock
4. The Office
5. HIMYM

The League notwithstanding because it hasn't been on for a while. Same with Peep Show. Wouldn't want to see a fourth season out of Blue Mountain State after the way S3 ended - it didn't get one anyway. HIMYM isn't nearly as funny as it once was but it's still a good show, as long as you don't expect a comedy. My 'queue' has a lot of Top Gear and QI in it so not much sitcom viewing on the go.

Fro
April 5th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Racist.

Winston singing Wicked in the car was hilarious.

Hannah Simone is a large part of why I watch the show though. She is so damn fine.

Winston is clearly the weak link in that show. He just doesn't have much in the way of comedic timing, and I don't think he's been written particularly well either. Pretty obvious that he was just the best they could find when the Wayans kid left after the pilot for Happy Endings. A rushed casting decision.

son_of_foley
February 5th, 2013, 6:17 AM
Happy Endings is a good show lads

Atty
February 5th, 2013, 10:06 AM
The Office and HIMYM have fallen so quickly that, in their current forms, they may rank last on my list. I still watch them, but that's largely habit and the fact that I was previously invested in both. Modern Family would remain number one in a landslide, followed by Parks. I may slide Whitney above HIMYM and The Office right now and that show sucks.

Simon
February 5th, 2013, 11:08 AM
The Office is still good. It's not as good as it used to be but saying it's worse than something as objectively bad as Whitney, which is designed for and aimed at braindead fuckwits, is laughable.

Gary J
February 5th, 2013, 11:21 AM
Happy Endings is a good show lads

Happy Endings is pretty good. On a sidenote i love Penny.

son_of_foley
February 5th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Happy Endings is pretty good. On a sidenote i love Penny.

I love her too fantastic jubblies

son_of_foley
February 5th, 2013, 11:42 AM
I repped g on my phone.pray to God it was positive

Gary J
February 5th, 2013, 11:48 AM
I love her too fantastic jubblies

Glad to see i'm not the only one. I always feel like giving myself a happy ending after watching an episode.

Fro
February 5th, 2013, 2:21 PM
I feel like Elisha Cuthbert is having a renaissance of hotness on that show too. She's always been hot of course but there's something about her ditsy air-head blonde character that just pushes all the right buttons.

More people should be watching that show. It's in danger of being cancelled which would be such a shame.

Judas Iscariot
February 5th, 2013, 2:30 PM
I didn't know she's on a show. When's it on? They just got a new viewer.

Those pics of her with Mila Kunis from a few years back... Oh man that would be an awesome 15 seconds of my life...

Fro
February 5th, 2013, 2:34 PM
Tuesdays at 9 on ABC

Edit: although it's not on tonight for some reason. They're also on demand/Hulu. New episodes start up again Feb 19.

Bert
February 5th, 2013, 4:35 PM
Tuesdays at 9 on ABC

Edit: although it's not on tonight for some reason. They're also on demand/Hulu. New episodes start up again Feb 19.

ABC thinks it's a better idea to show Celebrity Diving instead. Because that worked so well for Fox.

Judas Iscariot
February 5th, 2013, 4:42 PM
Oh my god:

http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq41/VampIdol/Mila/mila-kunis-elisha-cuthbert.jpg

Those were the days.

Mark Hammer
February 5th, 2013, 4:43 PM
The Office is still good. It's not as good as it used to be but saying it's worse than something as objectively bad as Whitney, which is designed for and aimed at braindead fuckwits, is laughable.

The Office is far from good. The work bus episode was the worst episode of any show I've ever seen.

Judas Iscariot
February 5th, 2013, 4:53 PM
Have you ever tried to sit through an episode of Whitney? It hurts the soul it's so fucking awful.

Fro
February 5th, 2013, 5:21 PM
Yeah, I won't defend The current Office as necessarily "good" but I think it's still watchable. Whitney has never been remotely watchable.

Atty
February 5th, 2013, 5:30 PM

Yeah, The Office isn't remotely good these days. Particularly when looked at next to what it was. You do bring up a valid point, though: at least Whitney knows it's aimed at braindead fuckwits.

Simmo Fortyone
February 5th, 2013, 5:56 PM
Happy Endings is fantastic.

Bit sad that 30 Rock has wound up but better to go out on top. UNLIKE SOME.

I inadvertently watched 2 Broke Girls last night. Jesus.

Mark Hammer
February 5th, 2013, 8:17 PM
Yeah, it is horrible. I struggle even considering it a comedy.

Mr_Nobody
February 5th, 2013, 9:38 PM
1) Modern Family
2) New Girl
3) Community
4) How I Met Your Mother
5) The Middle
6) The New Normal
7) Happy Endings

Wilfred would probably be on the list as well, but after the first season, which I loved, I just kind of stopped watching it this past season. It's not that I stopped liking it, it's just a show that I never felt the need to force myself to watch every week.

Mark Hammer
February 5th, 2013, 11:15 PM
Mr_Nobody desperately needs to watch an episode of Parks and Recreation.

darkhorse
February 5th, 2013, 11:35 PM
1. Workaholics
2. Big Bang Theory
3. How I Met Your Mother
4. Childrens Hospital

There are some more current sitcoms I need to get caught up on, but for now these are the ones that I tend to watch.

Sancty
February 6th, 2013, 1:29 AM
1) How I Met Your Mother
2) Modern Family
3) Big Bang Theory
4) New Girl
5) Community

That'd be my present top 5. BBT was challenging for #1 at the end of last season but there's been a severe drop in quality this season.

Vice
February 6th, 2013, 1:39 AM
...and HIMYM is number one?

Sancty
February 6th, 2013, 1:42 AM
Absolutely. I don't understand the latter day hatred for the show at all. I've been quite happy with the quality of the show this season.

Most of what I see against the show is frustration over the Mother gimmick. It was never about finding the mother, it was about watching these 5 characters interact.

Bert
February 6th, 2013, 1:49 AM
Big Bang Theory in top 5 anything but most annoying sitcom laugh track? You guys so crazy.

Vice
February 6th, 2013, 1:54 AM
I think the desire to meet the mother is not based so much on us actually caring about the mother, but more about how the show has gotten so stale, the characters have gotten so annoying and unlikeable, things have generally gone in circles for so long, and the quality in general has deteriorated so much that we want them to just get the hell on with the story and stop treading water because the network wants to drag it out year after year.

I absolutely loved the show at the beginning. The first few seasons were fantastic and good television, but the jokes and the creativity just aren't there anymore. In the past 3 seasons or so combined, I've probably laughed as much as I did watching like three episodes of it in its prime. "Well why do you keep watching it?" Because I have invested so much time into the show that I need to finish it up, no matter how bad it gets, while continuously hoping that something happens and it gets good again.

Mr_Nobody
February 6th, 2013, 7:00 AM
Mr_Nobody desperately needs to watch an episode of Parks and Recreation.

I have, and I couldn't get in to it. Very similar to The Office. I wanted to like it, but just didn't.

Fro
February 6th, 2013, 10:06 AM
I think the desire to meet the mother is not based so much on us actually caring about the mother, but more about how the show has gotten so stale, the characters have gotten so annoying and unlikeable, things have generally gone in circles for so long, and the quality in general has deteriorated so much that we want them to just get the hell on with the story and stop treading water because the network wants to drag it out year after year.

Spot on.

I have, and I couldn't get in to it. Very similar to The Office. I wanted to like it, but just didn't.

That makes sense since they are from the same creator, Greg Daniels. In fact when Parks and Rec first debuted I thought it was a stupid Office imitation. Which it sort of was, but man did it grow into something great in its own right.

virms
February 6th, 2013, 10:40 AM
Yeah, you have to get thru the first season of Parks. By season 2 something clicked and the show just spun into greatness.

Mark Hammer
February 6th, 2013, 11:41 AM
Agreed. I have literally cried laughing at the show on a few occassions. I can't fathom how someone could not enjoy Parks, unless they only watched some of the first season and gave up.

Mark Hammer
February 6th, 2013, 11:44 AM
And regarding HIMYM I could never bring myself to watch it on account of not liking Jason Segel.

Seanny One Ball
February 6th, 2013, 12:04 PM
Modern Family is the tits

Mr_Nobody
February 6th, 2013, 6:35 PM
And regarding HIMYM I could never bring myself to watch it on account of not liking Jason Segel.

See, that was one of the reasons why I never watched How I Met Your Mother for a long time. I haven't been a fan of Jason Segal in pretty much any movie he's been in, but after getting in to it this year (watched pretty much the entire show starting the day after Thanksgiving thanks to Netflix), him and Allyison Hannigon are the best part of the show.

virms
February 6th, 2013, 7:33 PM
I disagree honestly. Marshell and Lilly have also become shit and are pretty much playing the sterotypically couple people despise. Ted is shit...super super shit while Barney and Robin are about the only two who havent turned into utter garbage.

Seanny One Ball
February 7th, 2013, 1:46 PM
Barney raises it from 0/10 to 1/10.

HIMYM is just dross.

Brian M.
February 8th, 2013, 7:05 PM
1. Parks and Rec
2. The League
3. New Girl
4. Always Sunny In Philadelphia
5. Modern Family
6. Happy Endings
7. How I Met Your Mother
8. Big Bang Theory
9. The Office

I'm probably forgetting something. I've found New Girl to be hysterically funny this season. Pretty much every episode is hitting the right notes. Jess is funny in her own right but the three guy roommates make that show. Great cast.

thetony
February 8th, 2013, 7:20 PM
I cannot see how Big Bang Theory/HIMYM can fall under the same category as shows like The League/Workaholics/Modern Family, etc etc.

That laugh track..

wardy
February 8th, 2013, 9:39 PM
How I Met Your Mother is awful and The Big Bang Theory is even worse. Like so unfunny that they're cringeworthy. Modern Family is great though.

Mr_Nobody
February 8th, 2013, 10:20 PM
Based on your suggestions, I've added Parks and Rec to my Netflix cue and will give it another chance down the road.

Atty
February 8th, 2013, 10:27 PM
I might even skip the first season if I were you.

Fro
February 9th, 2013, 1:18 AM
I plan to re-visit the first season soon. I remember not liking it when it first aired but now that the show is this good I feel like maybe there's some overlooked quality there. In fact, I probably didn't even watch the whole first run. But yeah, definitely don't judge it on the first season.

My new list would be, and this is every sitcom I watch at the moment:

1. Parks and Rec
2. Modern Family
3. Always Sunny
4. Happy Endings
5. The League
6. New Girl
7. Veep
8. Workaholics
9. 30 Rock
10. The Middle
11. The Office

30 Rock finished very strong. I had mostly given up on it for the last season or two but they did a shortened 13-episode final season and it felt a lot tighter and akin to its heyday. The last two episodes were especially great. Liz getting Tracy and Jenna children was perfect. The Office is limping to the finish line, sadly, but I'll stick it out. I threw Veep in there even though its first run was only 8 episodes. It's really great if anyone hasn't checked it out yet.

Morrison
February 9th, 2013, 1:36 AM
the first season of parks isn't mind-blowing or anything, but it's not as bad as you guys make out. plus it's only six episodes. you can push through those REAL quick.

Mark Hammer
February 9th, 2013, 3:42 AM
Based on your suggestions, I've added Parks and Rec to my Netflix cue and will give it another chance down the road.

You won't be sorry.

I agree with Morrison by the way in that the first season of Parks isn't awful by any means. But it was very forgettable and doesn't hold a candle to seasons 2 onward.

Seanny One Ball
February 9th, 2013, 11:46 AM
Happy Endings is really growing on me, mostly because of Elisha Cuthbert and the gay fella. I also like the brunette called Penny, she has mad comedy skills.

I didn't realise until just now that the black fella is Damon Wayans son. That is freaky man...they look more like bros.

Seanny One Ball
February 9th, 2013, 11:47 AM
Damon Wayans is only 2 years younger than my dad! WTF

Matty C
February 9th, 2013, 11:52 AM
I don't watch sitcoms at all anymore aside from Modern Family, is that weird? I basically watch:

Modern Family
The Walking Dead
Game of Thrones
Reality Singing Shows
Sports

I also watched Breaking Bad and Homeland in marathon sessions. I'm not slagging off sitcoms here, just curious as to whether my habits are part of a trend or just my own personal change in taste. I used to watch quite a few back in the day.

Seanny One Ball
February 9th, 2013, 11:55 AM
I'm disappointed with that show The Following already. Nothing to do with comedy but from a brilliant first episode to a shite second one via numerous Deus Ex Machinas.

Fro
February 9th, 2013, 2:24 PM
the first season of parks isn't mind-blowing or anything, but it's not as bad as you guys make out. plus it's only six episodes. you can push through those REAL quick.

You won't be sorry.

I agree with Morrison by the way in that the first season of Parks isn't awful by any means. But it was very forgettable and doesn't hold a candle to seasons 2 onward.

Yeah, I plowed through those 6 episodes from season 1 this morning (because I'm snowed in and you can go to prison for taking your car out wtf). I enjoyed them and they're no worse than season 1 of The Office or, say, Seinfeld. They got a bum rap, I think, because of how much The Office was crushing it at the time and they were lame in comparison. But they're still enjoyable. I almost completely forgot about the character of Mark. He wasn't awful but was a good subtraction from the show, I reckon. Not a lot of comedic value there.

Morrison
February 9th, 2013, 2:59 PM
i loved mark. he was the 'straight man' of the show and provided a nice contrast to the insane personalities.

Brian M.
February 10th, 2013, 2:20 PM
I hated Mark. He was OK as the straight man to all the insanity, but it bothered me that they tried to make him seem like this desirable guy when he had almost no personality at all, and he was a bit of a douche when he did show some. I much prefer having Ben and Chris around.

I almost see Parks and Rec as a live action version of The Simpsons given all the life and side characters they have given Pawnee. I don't feel the real need for much "normalcy" as I would in other shows.

Atty
February 11th, 2013, 1:13 AM

Since he was saying that he couldn't get into it before and the first season, which I assume is what he was watching, isn't essential to the rest of the show, it may be more enjoyable for him to just skip it and come back later if he wants.

I didn't get hooked until I was watching one with Adam Scott and Rob Lowe a few years back. Then I went and watched the episodes around it on Hulu. Then gave season one another go and loved the show.

Fro
March 22nd, 2014, 1:59 PM
Okay time to update the rankings. Over the past few years I'd have put Parks & Rec and Modern Family in "tier 1" with a bunch of other good ones in "tier 2", which is to say I thought those two were the clear best 2. However they've both come down a peg so now it's more of a big pack of similar quality.

RIP Happy Endings, The Office and 30 Rock. I've been rewatching Happy Endings (especially season 3) in syndication and I think it probably would have shot up to my #1 if it kept going. Damn shame. Enter Brooklyn Nine-Nine and Broad City.

Here's my new list. Like I said though, I think they top 7 are all really close to each other and could be moved around depending on a good or bad streak of episodes.

1. Workaholics - Yep, this new season has been great and this has shot up to #1.
2. Broad City - Not sure how many people are on this but it's like female Workaholics and it's great. I'm loving the first season.
3. Always Sunny - I thought season 9 was really strong. There's a dud or two per season but they're still dropping classic episodes like Mac Day and Gun Fever 2.
4. New Girl - This show is going strong though I'm not sure if season 3 is as good as season 2.
5. Veep - this hasn't been on in about 9 months but it's coming back in a few weeks so I didn't want to exclude it. It's great.
6. Parks & Rec - I'm still a big fan but there's been a clear dropoff.
7. Modern Family - see above.
8. The League
9. Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Great first season but I feel it's a little overrated and didn't deserve the Golden Globe award for best comedy.
10. The Middle - I still DVR this and watch them eventually. Not a high priority view but still a good family sitcom.

Sancty
March 22nd, 2014, 2:00 PM
The League had a dreadful season this year.

VHS
March 22nd, 2014, 2:31 PM
My ex used to make me watch Big Bang Theory with her all the time. It was like listening to puppies burn to death. :no:

Jimmy Zero
March 22nd, 2014, 5:33 PM
Parks and Rec has fallen off a cliff, imo. I thought season 5 was just ok, but there was more good than bad. Season 6 has been absolutely awful, though.

VHS
March 22nd, 2014, 5:42 PM
P and R is something I've just gotten into, and it ain't bad. :yes:

Jimmy Zero
March 22nd, 2014, 5:46 PM
Seasons 2, 3 and 4 are incredible. 5, for me, is hit and miss. 6 has mostly been a miss.

I absolutely hate Jamm. I have to change the channel when he's on.

Fro
March 22nd, 2014, 5:54 PM
I know we already had this discussion... But Jamm is awesome. One of my favorite recurring characters on the show.

The best recurring characters though? Gotta be Crazy Ira and the Douche

Jimmy Zero
March 22nd, 2014, 6:06 PM
I like slutty Tammy.

Simmo Fortyone
October 12th, 2015, 9:06 PM
I think the last few years will be remembered as a bit of a golden era for sitcoms. Either that, or I'm just not watching as many.

1. Brooklyn Nine Nine
2. Louie
3. Archer
4. The League
5. Veep
6. Its Always Sunny...
7. Modern Family

...and that's it

Haven't even finished season 1 of Veep but already love it. I didn't think I'd ever laugh my nuts off at as big a fuckwit as Jonas.

Fro
March 10th, 2016, 10:37 PM
New year, new rankings.

1. Always Sunny - They just finished a great season. It was arguably their weakest season but still utterly enjoyable. It's fairly underwhelming for a #1 ranking but there aren't any A+ sitcoms right now, not like when The Office and Parks & Rec were still killing it.

2. Broad City - I love these girls. I want to be friends with them. This show is all sorts of hilarious.

3. Man Seeking Woman - I didn't really watch season 1 but season 2 has been great. This show definitely surprised me and jumped way up my rankings quickly. The surreal style of taking every situation to its comical extreme is really cool. The Santa episode for example was such an odd side-plot where the main character didn't even appear, but it worked perfectly.

4. New Girl - This show has come back strong for me after I was pretty so-so on season 4. The new season has been great and Megan Fox has been a seamless fill-in for Jess.

5. Modern Family - It seems like within the last few years it became trendy to dislike this show but it's still really solid and enjoyable.

6. The Grinder - Only 1st-year show on the list. It started out super strong and it's still good but has waned a bit.

7. Workaholics - I'm behind on the new season and have only watched the first 2 episodes so its possible I'm underrating it, but it just hasn't drawn me in like it used to. Got 6 episodes sitting on my DVR. I'm surprised to see I had it ranked #1 back in 2014. I still like it but it's not must-watch.

8. The League - I haven't finished the end of the series yet so I'm not sure if it ended strong. I'm glad they ended it now because it was getting stale.

9. The Big Bang Theory - I don't watch the new episodes but I've been seeing more of the new-ish episodes (season 7 and 8) because they play re-runs at an almost Seinfeld-level of frequency. This show is enjoyable to flip to when there's nothing else on. People who vigilantly dislike it annoy me.

10. Brooklyn 99 - I'm behind on this as well but I've seen 6 episodes of the new season and it's a good show but not quite a great one for me. I tend to laptop browse when I have it on.

What you got?

Simmo Fortyone
March 10th, 2016, 10:39 PM
1. Veep
2. Brooklyn Nine Nine
3. Its Always Sunny...
4. Archer
5. Louie
6. The League

Gone off everything else

darkhorse
March 10th, 2016, 11:00 PM
1. It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia
2. Workaholics
3. You're The Worst
4. The Last Man On Earth
5. Baskets
6. The Grinder
7. Modern Family
8. The Goldbergs
9. The League
10. Childrens Hospital

LOCONUT
March 10th, 2016, 11:36 PM
Sunny was a bit soft this season but I absolutely loved the final 2 episodes. Brooklyn 99 feels like it has changed writers. This show went from brilliant to kind of shitty this year.

New Girl might be my favorite network comedy and I really enjoyed Love as well. I have missed all of Man Seeking Woman but planning to check it out as the commercials seem epic.

Seanny One Ball
March 11th, 2016, 12:50 AM
Brooklyn 99 was a two season show that over extended. Holt lauging more then starts joking?! Bullshit character revisions dressed up as development. I miss Mindy. New Girl is the only show to use a gimmick (Prince)so reservedly that the shark respected them too much to be there for the jump. It is a stand out as an E4 comedy go-to. I also really love that I bought 30 Rock every season box set for under £20. Best deal ever. Next best seasons 1-3 American Horror for £12. Flawless purchases.

Canuck
March 12th, 2016, 5:50 PM
Sunny was a bit soft this season but I absolutely loved the final 2 episodes. Brooklyn 99 feels like it has changed writers. This show went from brilliant to kind of shitty this year.

New Girl might be my favorite network comedy and I really enjoyed Love as well. I have missed all of Man Seeking Woman but planning to check it out as the commercials seem epic.

I thought Sunny has been strong this season, considering it's been on 11 years. I'd probably eliminate the frank episode, though.

Dee's magic trick in the 2nd last episode had me in tears.

Fro
March 12th, 2016, 6:16 PM
Being Frank was a damn near 10/10 episode for me. Akin to the Charlie Work episode where we get to see the whole scheme from one character's perspective. I loved it. And Pondy is the coolest.

Fro
January 25th, 2017, 4:26 PM
Not ready to do my annual rankings but just want to say that New Girl, The Mick and Man Seeking Woman are all having dynamite seasons right now. Throw in Always Sunny and Brooklyn Nine-Nine and I feel like sitcoms are coming on strong this year (specifically this post-holiday TV season).

virms
January 26th, 2017, 1:21 PM
I have been meaning to make a thread about it but I am totally in love with the show Speechless right now. Minnie Driver is probably 98% of the reason but it is a damn good show all around. Definitely on par with The Mick but in a different way.

BigAl
January 26th, 2017, 1:33 PM
Black-ish is having a good season too. Enough to keep my interest which is surprising. I'm usually good for watching a season or less of something before I get bored. Happened with This Is Us this year. New Girl has been outstanding as well.

Fro
March 28th, 2018, 9:02 PM
bringing this back for some updated rankings. just how I'm feeling at the moment. gonna include any sitcoms that are still running even if they haven't aired in a while.

1. Brooklyn Nine-Nine - this has risen up the ranks a lot for me even though it's been pretty consistent over the years and I used to have it pretty low. it's extremely well polished and funny at every turn.
2. Curb Your Enthusiasm - the new season was the weakest they've done but it's still solid with some classic Curb bits. it let me down somewhat but it still had moments of brilliance.
3. Always Sunny - like Curb, the newest season was the worst but this is still appointment television for me. I hope they wrap it up soon so as not to end poorly since it's dragging somewhat.
4. The Mick - I'm really enjoying season 2. the whole cast is gelling well and it's a nice Always Sunny spin off (not literally but the writers are from Sunny and it has the same vibe).
5. New Girl - this has been off the air for a while but I'm looking forward to the final season.
6. Broad City - idk exactly why but I've been down on this this season. it's still good but I'm just struggling to watch it regularly. kinda in a funk IMO.
7. The Big Bang Theory - for the first time ever I've been watching some of the current-season episodes. it's another sitcom that's past its prime but it's not bad.
8. Modern Family - this should end soon. I can't imagine it's still getting enough ratings to justify the big salaries the actors are probably getting. it's still decent but it's run its course.

not included: Master of None which is excellent and probably would be #1 but I don't consider it a sitcom. Veep - it's probably still great but I stopped watching... I want to catch up at some point.

Peter Griffin
March 29th, 2018, 2:14 AM
:yes:

I love B99 can't think of a 'weak' character, Though Holt and Peralta are my faves. I am a little concerned how into Rosa I am sometimes though, Like does this mean I like women who would kick my ass? :lol:

Nash Diesel
March 29th, 2018, 4:16 PM
I'm not big into tv shows but everyone seems to really enjoy Brooklyn. I've tried to watch a couple episodes but I'm just not into those kind of shows. Reminds me of The Office but about cops. Love the main guy from SNL, Sandberg? Yeah he's great.

Canuck
March 29th, 2018, 6:15 PM
No particular order, my top 5:

Schitt's creek
Life in pieces
Brooklyn 99
Modern Family
Veep

darkhorse
March 29th, 2018, 6:37 PM
Current top 10:

1. Brockmire
2. You're The Worst
3. Curb Your Enthusiasm
4. It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia
5. The Mick
6. Corporate
7. Schitt's Creek
8. Baskets
9. The Goldbergs
10. Crashing

BigAl
March 29th, 2018, 7:13 PM
The only three I watch are Brooklyn 99, Blackish, and New Girl. I rewatched most of last season of New Girl recently. It was an outstanding season.

Canuck
March 29th, 2018, 7:31 PM
People actually watch Black-ish? I've seen bits and pieces and it just seems like reverse racism with attempts at humor.

Mazer
March 29th, 2018, 7:39 PM
bringing this back for some updated rankings. just how I'm feeling at the moment. gonna include any sitcoms that are still running even if they haven't aired in a while.

1. Brooklyn Nine-Nine - this has risen up the ranks a lot for me even though it's been pretty consistent over the years and I used to have it pretty low. it's extremely well polished and funny at every turn.
2. Curb Your Enthusiasm - the new season was the weakest they've done but it's still solid with some classic Curb bits. it let me down somewhat but it still had moments of brilliance.
3. Always Sunny - like Curb, the newest season was the worst but this is still appointment television for me. I hope they wrap it up soon so as not to end poorly since it's dragging somewhat.
4. The Mick - I'm really enjoying season 2. the whole cast is gelling well and it's a nice Always Sunny spin off (not literally but the writers are from Sunny and it has the same vibe).
5. New Girl - this has been off the air for a while but I'm looking forward to the final season.
6. Broad City - idk exactly why but I've been down on this this season. it's still good but I'm just struggling to watch it regularly. kinda in a funk IMO.
7. The Big Bang Theory - for the first time ever I've been watching some of the current-season episodes. it's another sitcom that's past its prime but it's not bad.
8. Modern Family - this should end soon. I can't imagine it's still getting enough ratings to justify the big salaries the actors are probably getting. it's still decent but it's run its course.

not included: Master of None which is excellent and probably would be #1 but I don't consider it a sitcom. Veep - it's probably still great but I stopped watching... I want to catch up at some point.

Modern Family still will rake in tons of money with extra seasons to sell off into syndication.

I usually think comedies take a season or 2 to hit their stride, but Corporate is off to a strong start. As a fan of some absurdist comedy, I enjoy The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. Haven't seen it mentioned here, but I started watching Portlandia two years ago when I moved to the Portland Suburbs. Its got some funny bits.

Judas Iscariot
March 29th, 2018, 8:19 PM
You people really need to watch AP Bio, especially you Always Sunny fans.

darkhorse
March 29th, 2018, 8:44 PM
I enjoy AP Bio. I worry about it getting cancelled, but I think it's a great show

Fro
March 30th, 2018, 1:14 AM

I watched the first few. They were okay, didn't really grab me but I should and probably will catch up on it soon. The main character seems a bit one-note, like Dennis Reynolds but only when he's annoyed. I'm sure they'll write him with more range as it goes on.

MikeHunt
March 30th, 2018, 2:54 AM

Tried this and the mick. Personally i didn't really like either, both were fine nothing more tbh.

Canuck
March 30th, 2018, 11:01 AM
The Mick gets better as it goes.

Simmo Fortyone
April 2nd, 2018, 7:16 PM
I might check out The Mick

My list at the moment only has B99 and The Good Place (in that order) as there's nothing else currently running that I am watching. I've got Derry Girls and This Country lined up to watch. I'm about 2-3 seasons behind on IASIP so will catch up on that too.

Percussion
April 2nd, 2018, 7:28 PM
Don't watch too many sitcoms as of late. Don't know if that's down to quality or my tastes changing with from the current genre.

Been following Atlanta every step of the way, catching up on Broad City, and have enjoyed the Roseanne reset so far.

Portlandia is pretty good whenever I get around to it. And of course Rick and Morty may be the best thing on tv every year or so it comes back.

Randolph
April 3rd, 2018, 12:30 AM
LA to Vegas is my new favorite. My kind of humor and I love Las Vegas and its people.

Rancid_Planet
April 3rd, 2018, 6:47 AM
I enjoy LA to Vegas as well.

wardy
April 3rd, 2018, 7:59 PM
1. This Country

Randolph
April 5th, 2018, 12:40 AM
The Detour is great as well, Need to catch up on season 2 though.

Mr_Nobody
April 7th, 2018, 11:39 PM
I don't watch a lot of sitcoms in general, but I really like Superstore.

I also am rewatching Scrubs at the moment as well. I usually stop watching it in the later seasons though, but even the later seasons has some gems in it, just not many. Just finished watching the episode with Ben's death from the third season. Still a gut punch with that ending, even though I know it's coming.

Fro
June 13th, 2021, 2:09 PM
Okay here's my 2021 rankings because I've been watching some new shows lately. I'll include anything that's either aired in 2021 or is coming back for another season even if it hasn't aired in a while.

1. Mythic Quest. This show is great. More people should be watching it. It's not as funny as prime Sunny but I'm so happy that Rob McElhenney created another great comedy show.

2. Brooklyn Nine Nine. Still going strong last season, and the final season is coming up later this year I believe. Probably the pound for pound funniest show on TV.

3. Ted Lasso. Does Apple TV+ have two of the best comedies going currently? According to me, yes! Ted Lasso has gotten a lot of well-deserved praise. I'm looking forward to season 2.

4. The Kominsky Method. I'm very late on this show, in fact I'm only at the end of season 1 so I can't even speak on seasons 2 or the final third season that just recently dropped. But based on season 1, this show is really well done with a lot of great writing. Shout out to Chuck Lorre - the master of multi-cam sitcoms created a wonderful single-cam comedy with this one.

5. Curb Your Enthusiasm. Still going strong based on season 10. Not at its peak level but still really well done. Coming back for season 11 soon (I think they're already filming).

6. Dave. If you didn't watch season 1, get on it, because season 2 premiers within the next week. Lil Dicky is a funny dude.

7. It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia. Past its prime, but still enjoyable.

I'm probably forgetting some and there's surely good ones I don't watch (like Schitt's Creek).

Romford Pele
June 14th, 2021, 12:31 PM
Curb is still going?! Better get back on that. I don't even know what channel that is on in the UK. The last series I saw was the New York one, what was that 8?

Mazer
June 14th, 2021, 4:28 PM
Not a lot of sitcoms I'm loving right now. I really enjoyed last season of What We Do in the Shadows.

And I'm still enjoying Archer. Does Archer count?

Jarrod1983
June 14th, 2021, 5:06 PM
Ted Lasso is dam good. Binged the first few episodes. Only got a couple left!

Tyson
June 14th, 2021, 9:43 PM
1. Letterkenny
2. everything else

Melly
June 14th, 2021, 10:37 PM
I just finished up season 5 of Superstore, soooo good.

Mazer
June 15th, 2021, 11:47 PM
Letterkenny. Number 1 for me as well.

Rancid_Planet
June 16th, 2021, 8:44 PM
1. Letterkenny
2. everything else

Can confirm.