PDA

View Full Version : GTA V

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Alf
October 25th, 2011, 8:27 AM
http://www.rockstargames.com/

Interesting...

MALIBU CLUB CREW TEAM RULES:

Right lads. Team rules. No serious griefing in the Malibu club. Mmmmkay?

Punch each other. Bash each others cars. But killing is a no no. You'll get bumped down a rank every time you do it until you are out.

Obviously if we're in a deathmatch or race all bets are off.

Share the loot of job or take it in turns to be the recipient of the full whack. Fair is fair.

Online Name Cheatsheet

(social club on the left, rajah in the middle, PSN on the right):

GoodKingAlf - Alf - GoodKingAlf
beefy78 - Beefy
GOLDENFRIEND - GBF
Miotch - Miotch
pdiablo - PabloDiablo
Siobri - Simon - SOBAmazing
Benwbv - Bennedy
Bogroleum - Wardy
chrisbeesfc
Empieche - Matthew
EvadBlack
evilobster
Excel83xl - Excel
Fro_Ridah - Fro
GregSinatra - Newf
Grimario - Grimario
hlebsfall - Hlebsfall
kimurakid - Kimura Kid
MtOlympus - Olympus
muhmuhhuh - MMH
NOTrossmilne - Lagom
Rossmac1987
SgtLonsdale - The Rogerer
TheMikeChilds - Mikey Jones
trdpower - Turdpower
house6207
Stocky2004 - Stocky
Z3R0_COOL - Kimura Kid's fucking brother?!?!?!?!?!

ForumName-PSN-SocialClubName
Alf-GoodKingAlf-GoodKingAlf
Beefy-Beefy78-Beefy78
PabloDiablo-pdiablo-pdiablo
Simon-SOBAmazing-Siobri
Wardy-Bogroleum-Bogroleum
Thetony-evillobster-evilobster
Kimura Kid-KimuraKid-KimuraKid
Olympus-MtOlympus-MtOlympus
MMH-muhmuhhuh-muhmuhhuh
The Rogerer-SgtLonsdale-SgtLonsdale
Stocky-Stocky2004-Stocky2004
MIK-miknelson-miknelson
turdpower-turdpower-trdpower

Missing Info:
??-Vanitati-Vanitati
Matthew-??-Empieche
Bennedy-??-Benwbv
GBF-??-GOLDENFRIEND
Miotch-??-Miotch
Excel-??-Excel83xl
Fro-??-Fro_Ridah
None-??-Z3R0_COOL
hlebsfall-??-hlebsfall

Also,

So who the fuck is Vanitati?? lol

Nightman Sneaky Mean
October 25th, 2011, 8:29 AM
Oh my Goodness. What the hell? Ireland, perhaps? Or Boston?

Mik
October 25th, 2011, 8:31 AM
What gives you that impression?

mr sabu
October 25th, 2011, 8:35 AM
i fucking hope they remove friend activitys

got sick of being called every 5 mins to go bowling

Nightman Sneaky Mean
October 25th, 2011, 8:36 AM
Because Packie left Liberty City at the end of TBOGT and the green colour of the V? No idea. Either that or Las Vegas. It does have a very Las Vega-ish feel though.

mr sabu
October 25th, 2011, 8:38 AM
could be iceland that place is green

Nightman Sneaky Mean
October 25th, 2011, 8:39 AM
Or Greenland. My money's on Vegas.

mr sabu
October 25th, 2011, 8:40 AM
no greenland covered in ice

grimshaw
October 25th, 2011, 8:41 AM
I'm going to get Saints Row 3.

Nightman Sneaky Mean
October 25th, 2011, 8:42 AM
Either way, I'm pumped. Can't wait for the trailer. Wonder if Packie will be the main character?

Nightman Sneaky Mean
October 25th, 2011, 8:43 AM
Saints Row 3 is like the Jersey Shore of open-ended crime genre games. GTA is more akin to The Sopranos.

Winkle van Tinkle
October 25th, 2011, 9:03 AM
It'll be la

Nightman Sneaky Mean
October 25th, 2011, 9:10 AM
The V reminds me of an American dollar bill. Perhaps the focus will be on the global recession and what people will do for money?

http://i51.tinypic.com/jidqug.jpg

Alf
October 25th, 2011, 9:27 AM
Are you disabled?

The Rogerer
October 25th, 2011, 9:38 AM
I hope there's no cutscenes, or that you're a woman.

Nightman Sneaky Mean
October 25th, 2011, 9:43 AM
Are you disabled?

Not American so I wouldn't have a clue what the V represented.

Mark Hammer
October 25th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Why has this guy posted literally every other post? Stop being such a blatant attention whore.

On topic I'm excited about the new game, it's been long enough. And I agree completely on the friend activities, they were shit. I don't want friends I just want to make drug runs and kill people.

Delta Devil
October 25th, 2011, 11:02 AM

5?

Tugboat
October 25th, 2011, 11:39 AM
SUCH AMERICAN ARROGANCE.

Mark Hammer
October 25th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Stupid Americans and their Roman numerals.

eldanielfire
October 25th, 2011, 12:13 PM

Not a Roman either then?

eldanielfire
October 25th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Will GTA 5 actually have anything to do with previosu GTAs? GTA IV was set in adifferent universe to the GTA 3 series wasn't it?

Mark Hammer
October 25th, 2011, 12:15 PM
It was set in the very same city as GTA III (that means 3 NSM). Or am I misunderstanding you?

wardy
October 25th, 2011, 12:37 PM
The first 3 PS2 games were all from the same universe (recurring characters etc.). He's asking if this game will be from the same one as GTA IV.

Mark Hammer
October 25th, 2011, 1:49 PM
Ah gotcha. Who knows, but I'd imagine we'll get some cameos.

Nightman Sneaky Mean
October 25th, 2011, 2:27 PM
I meant the way the V was shaped I knew it was a goddamn 5 but didn't know it was obviously alluding to the American five dollar bill. Jesus Christ, this is hilarious. :lol: It's like one person misconstrues what I say and everyone jumps on the bandwagon. Of course, it's a fucking 5. I was talking about how the V appears - an American five dollar bill.

It might set in a different universe, I've heard rumours that they might be using Los Angeles, not Los Santos, not San Andreas but just LA. So, it's going to be set in the real world. But thanks for that neg rep, you fucking moron.

Tugboat
October 25th, 2011, 3:04 PM
SUCH ARROGANCE

Nightman Sneaky Mean
October 25th, 2011, 3:05 PM
YARR.

NO, WAIT WHAT?

Jacknife
October 25th, 2011, 3:10 PM
Can't wait for it to come out I'm gonna play it.

The Rogerer
October 25th, 2011, 3:29 PM
They maybe only did it to explain it means 5. My little brother says "GTA EYE-VEE"

Nightman Sneaky Mean
October 25th, 2011, 3:33 PM
People are speculating that just as GTA IV was a post-9/11 game to an extent. GTA V will be a post-financial crisis one where the value of money will probably play an important role in the game more than before hence the five dollar bill "V".

The Rogerer
October 25th, 2011, 3:42 PM
Also every GTA has been primarily about money. The entire GTA IV saga is tied together by a bank robbery. It probably will have lots of talk shows about the financial crisis because the humour is as blunt as a sledgehammer.

Nightman Sneaky Mean
October 25th, 2011, 3:48 PM
You know what would be amazing? If it was the same areas from Red Dead Redemption except in 2012. A full-fledged city has taken over from the small western areas, you can go south of the border to escape U.S. law enforcement, bring back drugs, go to whore houses. There would be ghettos and Mara Salvatrucha-type gangs that run the borders, that would be insane.

Another theory like you said IV revolved around the bank robbery, perhaps we will now see what happens after that when Packie boards the flight out of Liberty City. He could of lost it all or he could pretty boss (like literally) turning into some sort of Tony Montana-wannabe criminal tyrant.

The Rogerer
October 25th, 2011, 4:37 PM
I can already hear the radio jokes about Fanny Mae. They'll call it VAGINA MAE. That's perhaps too subtle. Clungy clungy blart blart Mae.

Hey this is Lazlow brought to you by penis hot dogs. They ejaculate in your mouth.

The Rogerer
October 25th, 2011, 4:40 PM
I'm a hard working mom and I love to shove an iDick up my iAss

Nightman Sneaky Mean
October 25th, 2011, 4:43 PM
If that stand-up comedy activity returns, they need to get Louis C.K. or just get Louis C.K. in general to be a radio host.

mr sabu
October 25th, 2011, 7:29 PM
seeing as i am batman i have used my detective skills and come to the conclusion that gta5 will be set in

gotham city

Miotch
October 25th, 2011, 8:01 PM
I know where the next setting is but cannot say due to a signed non-disclosure agreement with Rockstar games.

You're all wrong so far.

Carry on.

mr sabu
October 25th, 2011, 8:06 PM
is it australia so we can do drive bye's on roo's and emu's

Pablo Diablo
October 25th, 2011, 8:19 PM
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/10/25/report-gta-v-to-be-set-in-los-angeles-will-feature-multiple-pl/

So Los Angeles then.

Mik
October 25th, 2011, 8:20 PM
I just want this game to be more like the third generation of the game. Set games in that world for the rest of my life and I'll be happy.

Mik
October 25th, 2011, 8:21 PM
It might set in a different universe, I've heard rumours that they might be using Los Angeles, not Los Santos, not San Andreas but just LA. So, it's going to be set in the real world. But thanks for that neg rep, you fucking moron.

I know where the next setting is but cannot say due to a signed non-disclosure agreement with Rockstar games.

You're all wrong so far.

Carry on.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/10/25/report-gta-v-to-be-set-in-los-angeles-will-feature-multiple-pl/

So Los Angeles then.

That'd rather piss on your bonfire if true Miotchy.

wardy
October 25th, 2011, 8:30 PM
It kind of reminds me of a gang logo. I reckon it will be in San Andreas/Los Santos/LA.

EDIT

I was logged out and didn't even see the above 4 posts.

Nightman Sneaky Mean
October 25th, 2011, 8:46 PM
The V is inspired by an American five dollar bill.

mr sabu
October 25th, 2011, 8:48 PM
im pretty sure the v has been around longer then a 5 doller bill

Pablo Diablo
October 25th, 2011, 8:55 PM
And the IV from the previous GTA stood for hospitals.

Nightman Sneaky Mean
October 25th, 2011, 8:55 PM
The layout of it.

Pablo Diablo
October 25th, 2011, 8:59 PM
I know, I just enjoyed my IV pun.

Cubed-Sphere
October 25th, 2011, 9:31 PM
I still play IV to this day. The graphics, atmosphere, and physics just make it an interesting place to spend time in. I like just getting lost in the city. Can't wait for this.

Nightman Sneaky Mean
October 25th, 2011, 9:42 PM
Wonder how they're going to handle the Crips and Bloods, if it's set in LA. Apparently, the game is going to have alot to do with the Feds and Government agents based on casting calls.

Bishop_Supreme
October 25th, 2011, 10:19 PM
Wonder how they're going to handle the Crips and Bloods, if it's set in LA. Apparently, the game is going to have alot to do with the Feds and Government agents based on casting calls.

Is it actually set in LA or is it set in a city they made up based on LA.

Like Los Santos of GTA San Andreas.

If that's the case wouldn't they make their own versions like the Grove Street vs the Ballas or something?

Mark Hammer
October 25th, 2011, 10:22 PM
I think it's been pointed out that it's set in actual LA and not Los Santos. If anybody asks me how I know I will tell them because Miotch from Rajah told me so.

grimshaw
October 25th, 2011, 10:23 PM
Hopefully they will reinject the fun. GTA4 was actually quite a bad game when you think about it. I can't help but be curious about this one though.

I expect to see influences from LA Noire and from Red Dead, and from their ongoing development of Max Payne. If this means good facial animations, actually FUN open-world side bits, and working shooting, then they might make this an awesome game.

The Rick
October 25th, 2011, 10:24 PM

From Kotaku (http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/10/grand-theft-auto-v-will-be-set-in-los-angeles-may-star-multiple-characters/)

GTA V will be set in some version of LA, bringing the famous franchise to a place that last got the GTA treatment in the series’ top-selling Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.

Los Santos corresponds to Los Angeles in the San Andreas game. So we might see new versions of Grove Street Families, the Ballas, and the Vagos.

http://www.gta-sanandreas.com/gangs/index.php

Mark Hammer
October 25th, 2011, 10:33 PM
I stand pleasantly corrected. So a current-gen San Andreas.

The Rick
October 25th, 2011, 10:42 PM
I stand pleasantly corrected. So a current-gen San Andreas.

Not necessarily, I was just pointing out how the gangs might be handled. I do think it will be a more fleshed out Los Santos though.

It could very well be Los Angeles, but their version of it. They should have all of the resources from L.A. Noire for the land. I can't wait for the trailer. :yes:

Mark Hammer
October 25th, 2011, 10:50 PM
I reckon I meant Los Santos and not San Andreas anyways. Los Santos was the memorable region from that game. I won't be upset if all the countryside and Vegas area of San Andreas are left out.

grimshaw
October 26th, 2011, 1:15 AM
The countryside was magic. Los Santos was definitely the best part, and the Vegas/SF parts were a bit bish, the space of the countryside was very important.

eldanielfire
October 26th, 2011, 4:17 AM
It was set in the very same city as GTA III (that means 3 NSM). Or am I misunderstanding you?

But the events in GTA IV don't acknowledge anything that occured in the GTA III. Kinda like how Nolan's Batman films are also ste in Gotham city but clearly are a different universe to Burton's Batman and the comic book.

eldanielfire
October 26th, 2011, 4:18 AM

So GTA V is a modern day remake of Red Dead Redemption ;)

eldanielfire
October 26th, 2011, 4:22 AM
The countryside was magic. Los Santos was definitely the best part, and the Vegas/SF parts were a bit bish, the space of the countryside was very important.

Inded. It was fun to go nuts driving without crashing into a wall and stopping every few seconds. The vegas bits were alright I thought, at least some of the missions were completely immense.

Beefy
October 26th, 2011, 4:23 AM
But the events in GTA IV don't acknowledge anything that occured in the GTA III. Kinda like how Nolan's Batman films are also ste in Gotham city but clearly are a different universe to Burton's Batman and the comic book.

Both Universes must share the same radio then because there's at least three characters on the radio who were featured in the GTA III Universe.

Beefy
October 26th, 2011, 4:58 AM
I think GTA IV gets too much stick. I thought the story was very engaging, particularly the final third. The City is fantastic to just drive through and get lost in, and multiplayer is very good. It suffers slightly from it having all the levels and missions which have gone before across the previous five games and it must be hard to come up with original crime-based missions for a game based on driving and shooting.

I'm playing Arkham City at the moment with every spare hour. It's amazing. But the City is a fraction of the size of Liberty City or San Andreas and the main story can be no more than a fifth of the length of a GTA story and probably a third of the length that Red Dead Redemption was. Taking nothing away from Arkham City at all but it's easier to produce quality when you're dealing with a much smaller scale.

Mik
October 26th, 2011, 5:10 AM
I just wish that they kept some of the universe in tact. I wish that you drove around Liberty City in IV and it was recognisable as Liberty City in III. An upgrade and a polish certainly, but some landmarks, some areas to make you know that you're in a newer and better version of the same place. The same will be true for me if they are setting this game in Los Santos.

grimshaw
October 26th, 2011, 9:41 AM
I think the length of the story was one of GTA4's main problems. It was long and it dragged and it was boring.

Scaling down on length (but not on real estate) would do them good. The same can be said of Red Dead. Mexico is generally considered to have been too long I think.

Miotch
October 26th, 2011, 12:58 PM
That'd rather piss on your bonfire if true Miotchy.
I'm not saying he's right by any means, but in my defense I stopped reading his posts in this thread after the 2nd one he posted or so.

Mik
October 26th, 2011, 1:01 PM
Haha, I'm sure that you did mate. Your 'in the know' claims were rubbished a little bit too quickly eh?

Miotch
October 26th, 2011, 1:32 PM
Mik ask yourself why I would lie to anyone here about something so trivial.

LOCONUT
October 26th, 2011, 1:48 PM
Hey guys FYI I also know the secret location of a video game but I can't tell you because of a signed agreement.

eldanielfire
October 26th, 2011, 2:37 PM
I think the length of the story was one of GTA4's main problems. It was long and it dragged and it was boring.

Scaling down on length (but not on real estate) would do them good. The same can be said of Red Dead. Mexico is generally considered to have been too long I think.

I didn't ahve a problem with length, I could have played San Abdreas forever, but I never could buy into the story from the start and I know I wasn't the only one. I think to much happened to quickly at the start, not story wise but a billion different possible sets of missions. It also lacked something the GTA series had in abundance, I quite quicte figer it out though.

The Rogerer
October 26th, 2011, 4:31 PM
GTA IV had a decent premise but it failed to carry it out. The story and the world didn't really marry up right. Nico seemed much more self-reliant than previous GTAs, and a lot of the time was him working for people that he really didn't like for money that he didn't really want. Then you have him reveal and deal with the real reason he came there, and by that point it's too late. It got too wrapped up in the people that Nico met.

The story sets the tone of the game, and there's a lot of pretty places in Liberty City (that the DLC went on to show us), but I think most people who played it explored a lot less than they did in the PS2 games.

I'm fond of the game in one way and bored of it in another.

Newf
October 26th, 2011, 4:35 PM
I didn't ahve a problem with length, I could have played San Abdreas forever, but I never could buy into the story from the start and I know I wasn't the only one. I think to much happened to quickly at the start, not story wise but a billion different possible sets of missions. It also lacked something the GTA series had in abundance, I quite quicte figer it out though.

Did you have a bit of a mini stroke at the end there, mate? Should I call someone?

Nightman Sneaky Mean
October 26th, 2011, 5:18 PM
I thought IV was the most complete GTA game. San Andreas story was absolutely ludicruous. Stealing alien jet packs, jumping out of planes to land on another plane to take out a mob of hitmen, it was like that retarded Saint's Row game.

Bad Collin
October 26th, 2011, 5:27 PM
IV was a technical masterpiece but some of it was just not fun. It really felt like something special once I completed it though. I still haven't played the add ons yet, maybe this weekend...

Nightman Sneaky Mean
October 26th, 2011, 5:29 PM
Did you have a bit of a mini stroke at the end there, mate? Should I call someone?

:lol:

Nightman Sneaky Mean
October 26th, 2011, 5:52 PM
So the whole gaming industry has gone into excitement mode, Rockstar's stock has gone up like 3 trillion percent and the whole gaming world is stopping for the trailer. GTA V is going to be huuuuge.

Tugboat
October 26th, 2011, 5:58 PM
GTA V'll have to be more than a technical marvel to get me on board. It was so easy to be sucked into the world of GTA IV for the first few hours, then the reality of the game being pretty dull set in. Once Saints Row: The Third hits, it'll take even more for GTA to win that top stop in m'heart.

I'll give them credit though, more than any other franchise I'm interested in seeing which direction they take the next game in. They always do something impressive, even if it's not always my cup of tea.

Nightman Sneaky Mean
October 26th, 2011, 6:19 PM
My ultimate wish for a GTA game, or GTA V in this instance, is if you're able to meet a character, getting orders from a Capo from some Italian mob to off another member, then deciding to kill the Capo and taking over his business or pitting members of the same gang against each other so you can run in, let them take each other out and take over their businesses. Like a complex violent political system with different outcomes. Sort of like the Forge/Playboy X situation but with any character that you come across. There would be like a hundred different paths you could take.

Bad Collin
October 26th, 2011, 6:45 PM
Like a mix of Vice City's business owning and San Andrea's gang battles? That would be pretty cool.

The_Mike
October 26th, 2011, 6:53 PM
Yeah, I'd like a more political aspect to the game where you can turn against the various criminals and kingpins and take over territory, rather than having to be a schmuck doing chores for them for 90% of the game. I always found it a bit weird in the games that I could amass a collection of property, cool cars and vast wealth, get involved in all sorts of daring, high-stakes missions, and still have to take orders over the phone to pick up some guy's mistress or other daft mission. It's not a huge deal, but I'd like to see a bit more balance there, so your character is treated appropriate to their station and you can exert some control over your own empire.

I really liked San Andreas and the environment. It was so big and so varied that it really provided a lot of scope to get creative. I saw it as a true sandbox. GTAIV was just too restrictive - there were less vehicles, less options, I think less weapons, and I felt constantly hemmed in while trying to move around the city. There was nothing like putting the hammer down in the country or on the highway in SA.

Mik
October 26th, 2011, 7:24 PM
The Rockstar site just reminded me of this:

http://www.rockstargames.com/videos/7901

Love it so much.

Nightman Sneaky Mean
October 26th, 2011, 9:07 PM
My favourite scenerio would be say you're working with a Russian criminal syndicate that supplies you with weapons and drugs, this contact makes it possible to get shit like RPGs, a shitload of Glocks and AK-47s to arm you or your crew with, a steady flow of income through a drug dealing system that is set up similar to Chinatown Wars' then out of nowhere, your hot-headed brother comes in and starts causing problems with your business.

He ends up killing an important member of said Russian syndicate so you have the options of sticking with your brother, losing your income and weapons or go along with the Russian organization by killing your brother in an emotional scene to keep the money, drugs and guns coming. I would love that so, so much.

If you kill your brother, you lose a sense of yourself in the process, your character starts regretting it, you gain the respect of your crew and the criminal world looks at you as someone who is ruthless and is not to be messed with. Going the other route and you essentially start a war with the Russian mob, you lose your guns, income and lose the respect of your crew and they leave you, forcing you to duke it out with your brother by your side.

grimshaw
October 26th, 2011, 10:58 PM
I suppose that you guys pointing out the length of San Andreas and GTA4 being roughly the same has brought into focus the real problem in 4, which was that the story was too big a part of the experience.

It was possible to ignore most of SA's story (and this is true of all pre-4 GTA games, and of Red Dead) and still have fun. But in 4, it seems that if you didn't care about the story, you didn't like the game.

Doctor Who
October 27th, 2011, 11:17 AM
It was possible to ignore most of SA's story (and this is true of all pre-4 GTA games, and of Red Dead) and still have fun. But in 4, it seems that if you didn't care about the story, you didn't like the game.

It was not it's story, more the moral values of it main character. You would spend a lot of time fucking around, causing damage and killing people then you would do a story mission a cut scene would kick in and the guy would be 'killings bad, if you kill your bad' totally at odds with what you were just doing and more then likely 99.9% of the people playing the game.

grimshaw
October 27th, 2011, 11:27 AM
I disagree. I found the story boring and silly and stupid. I found it overbearing and dreary and I didn't care about it.

This had nothing to do with the disconnect between what I liked to do in the game and what he wanted to do, and more to do with the fact that it was boring and stupid and the missions weren't fun, and amounted to little more than a radio play that went on while I drove to my destination.

Beefy
October 27th, 2011, 12:07 PM
The story was very good. It was more of a 'proper' story than any of the previous GTA games, IMO, and I actually felt bothered by the end of the game and regretted choices I'd made.

Judas Iscariot
October 27th, 2011, 12:16 PM
I agree with Beefy, it was superb.

But grimshaw doesn't like anything, so what's it matter.

I really, really like the idea of a better political system including gang fights and pitting different factions against each other. I think that'd be superb.

The Rogerer
October 28th, 2011, 12:48 PM
I played the PS2 ones today. GTA 3 did something right and actually feels like the one I want to play the most. I never fully finished it, I got to the third island and got stuck on (I think) the mission where you had to kill 20 Purple Nines.

Beefy
October 28th, 2011, 1:01 PM
You don't have to complete that mission to complete the game, which is fortunate as the game had a bug where once you killed the Purple Nines they didn't respawn when you started the game again.

I've got two weeks away from my PS3 over Christmas and think I'll play one of the GTA games. Probably either San Andreas or Vice City Stories, as I never played that one.

Mik
October 28th, 2011, 1:07 PM
Its good. I honestly could play games on those islands forever. I loved those maps. Used to know them like the back of my hand.

eldanielfire
October 28th, 2011, 2:00 PM
I thought IV was the most complete GTA game. San Andreas story was absolutely ludicruous. Stealing alien jet packs, jumping out of planes to land on another plane to take out a mob of hitmen, it was like that retarded Saint's Row game.

It was brilliant. Utter brilliance!

I loved the way in what appeared to be a very typical urban gangster story starting with a sitch-up by a police officer spirlled out into this epic state-wide masterpiece involving multiple cities, the american dream, government secrets, new technologies, criminal empires and ends up fucking up a whole city in a country on edge. All that helped build-up officer Tennypenny as one epic muther-fucking villiam who literally was involved in all evil on every level, not just some minor shit in the hood. Yet as it all comes to a climax it returns to this very personal story of Carl and what remains of his family vs the villians in his hood headed by Tenpenny who was using everyone.

Mik
October 28th, 2011, 4:02 PM
I'm with you mate. Some of the stuff in the desert was epic. Some great missions.

Guy
October 28th, 2011, 4:06 PM
San Andreas is where I clocked out of the GTA series for a while.

It just lost interest around that point, I think the most I did in that game was make my guy extremely buff, gave him a Mohawk, beard, some chains and camo combat trousers and drove around in vans pretending to be Mr T.

The Rick
October 28th, 2011, 11:22 PM
Some people that felt the story went to long with one character might be happy with the other piece of news out of the Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/5853279/grand-theft-auto-v-will-be-set-in-los-angeles-may-star-multiple-characters) article posted before.

We're also hearing from multiple sources that the game will feature more than just one playable character.

Hopefully they will be as fleshed out as the expansion characters to GTA IV. (Lost and Damned & Ballad of Gay Tony)

MikeHunt
October 31st, 2011, 6:46 AM
saints row is better.

The Rogerer
October 31st, 2011, 6:47 AM
No.

MikeHunt
October 31st, 2011, 7:07 AM
yes. so much better.

Bennedy
October 31st, 2011, 7:09 AM
No.

MikeHunt
October 31st, 2011, 7:35 AM
oh yes it is.

grimshaw
October 31st, 2011, 8:57 AM
It is

Mik
October 31st, 2011, 9:34 AM
No.

MikeHunt
October 31st, 2011, 9:34 AM
i'm more than certain.

grimshaw
October 31st, 2011, 12:49 PM
Well you can't be more than certain.

But I'm certain.

Beefy
October 31st, 2011, 2:17 PM
Really, really no.

Mik
October 31st, 2011, 2:55 PM
Just no. No, not at all, no.

grimshaw
October 31st, 2011, 9:26 PM
Definitely yes. Completely and utterly.

Like, give it a moment's thought.

Psycho666Soldier
November 2nd, 2011, 11:51 AM
Anyone gearing up for this trailer coming out in 9 min?

RuneEdge
November 2nd, 2011, 11:55 AM
I'll catch it in an hours time once the fanboys calm down and I can actually get through to the site.

Pablo Diablo
November 2nd, 2011, 12:02 PM
San Andreas it is.

Psycho666Soldier
November 2nd, 2011, 12:02 PM
I'll say this: the graphics look unreal in this one. They just keep getting better with that.

RuneEdge
November 2nd, 2011, 12:04 PM
I'll catch it in an hours time once the fanboys calm down and I can actually get through to the site.

Heh, I guess it wasnt too hard watching the trailer after all. And yeah, the graphics look nice.

Hlebsfall
November 2nd, 2011, 12:07 PM
Looks good. GTA goes to Hollywood.

Pablo Diablo
November 2nd, 2011, 12:07 PM
Some people thinking we're going to play as an older Tommy Vercetti.

And it's that older looking guy we see in the trailer.

Psycho666Soldier
November 2nd, 2011, 12:19 PM
I don't see how there's ANY truth to that. He may look similar, but that doesn't really mean shit.

That would be cool to see a playable return of Tommy Vercetti, and if that person ends up being him, then I have no complaint. Though, you'd think they'd make it take place in/near Florida if they were to bring him back.

That said, towards the end of the trailer, there's a black guy in a white wifebeater and jeans running from the cops for a split second, and I wondered if it was CJ.

Bennedy
November 2nd, 2011, 12:19 PM
Looks very nice. I will be purchasing.

The Rick
November 2nd, 2011, 12:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F733_dwA4Dg
God I'm excited for this.

Psycho666Soldier
November 2nd, 2011, 12:30 PM
Watching through that again, it's definitely NOT CJ running from the cops. Very similar outfit, though.

Bennedy
November 2nd, 2011, 12:31 PM
I just saw somebody on another forum say that the graphics are nothing special. Do they think you can get much better graphics than we see in trailer. Some people are never pleased.

Beefy
November 2nd, 2011, 12:32 PM
It won't be Vercetti. Didn't Ray Liotta basically renounce the role and the series when Vice City came out?

Psycho666Soldier
November 2nd, 2011, 12:34 PM
I'm not sure if he did. However, if that is the case, then I don't want to see any Vercetti named Tommy if they have to get another voice actor.

The Rick
November 2nd, 2011, 12:35 PM
Don't forget that Kotaku's sources said that there would be multiple playable characters. The details of these characters remains to be seen. The character we hear from in the trailer could be just one.

Mark Hammer
November 2nd, 2011, 1:30 PM
This game looks beautiful. I can't wait.

Hlebsfall
November 2nd, 2011, 1:47 PM
http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/9186/1320254413269.jpg

Surely not.

Chris
November 2nd, 2011, 2:35 PM
The game looks absolutely gorgeous.

IGN are also questioning whether it's Vercetti, and have even compared the trailers for GTA V and Vice City for similar shots of 2 particular cars.

I thought this shot looked fantastic (spoilered for size):

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/121/1211350/grand-theft-auto-v-20111102093619237.jpg

Beefy
November 2nd, 2011, 2:38 PM
Yeah that mountain shot is amazing.

When I watched the trailer in standard def on Youtube I thought the homeless guy was Niko. Having downloaded the HD trailer I'm not convinced. He looks too old.

MikeHunt
November 2nd, 2011, 2:49 PM
looks stunning, however i honestly haven't enjoyed gta since vice city. this does look quite interesting though.

Brian M.
November 2nd, 2011, 6:16 PM
It looks like there's going to be a lot to explore in this one, as you see shots of the inner city as well as the mountains and farms, etc. That's what I loved about San Andreas...you actually felt like you were in a real world as opposed to being confined to one city. Hopefully this one gives you that same feel.

Excel
November 2nd, 2011, 6:24 PM
This looks amazing. GTA is going Rural again. If the playable area is as big as it was in San Andreas this could be amazing. I too loved having such an open world to explore and its a big reason why GTA:SA is my favourite one.

It looks visually stunning, and frankly, if we were to get three previous stars returning it would make me too excited to describe. Ideally, Claude, Tommy and CJ. Though Niko instead of Claude would be fine.

Probably will be all new protagonists though. Either way, DAMN. As long as they go back to a more fun and less "Taking itself seriously" game like the PS2 games, then this could truly be a fantastic game

The Rogerer
November 2nd, 2011, 6:34 PM
Very interesting.

Rockstar, for all their mistakes, are a company that can change their approach in many ways, and they shaved a lot out of San Andreas for 4. Then more stuff like Bully and RDR (although different studios, admittedly) will have taught them lessons and gotten things out of their system.

Mik
November 2nd, 2011, 7:06 PM
If they wanted to make the game a huge success, put it in San Andreas and have the playable characters all be the playable characters from the old games put into the modern day. That'd be fucking incredible. I'd buy the game twice. GTA Generations.

wardy
November 2nd, 2011, 7:10 PM
This looks amazing. San Andreas was my favourite of the series. I hope they have a more in-depth gambling minigames in this one.

Chris Scott
November 2nd, 2011, 7:32 PM
Looks quality can't wait.

grimshaw
November 2nd, 2011, 9:01 PM
I just saw somebody on another forum say that the graphics are nothing special. Do they think you can get much better graphics than we see in trailer. Some people are never pleased.

The graphics are nice but he's right. They are nothing special. GTA has never had very good graphics because it's always been open-world.

You can get much better graphics than we see in the trailer.

Mark Hammer
November 2nd, 2011, 9:04 PM
Absurd.

wardy
November 2nd, 2011, 9:31 PM
I'm no expert but I thought that GTA 3 had excellent graphics for its time. Same with GTA 4.

grimshaw
November 2nd, 2011, 9:44 PM
I don't wanna sound like I'm hating but I'm just...right. It looks great, visually. But an open world always, always requires a sacrifice on graphics. Both 3 and 4 had good graphics in a massive, streaming open world. They were technically insane and gTA3 was a breakthrough of technology and software engineering more than anything else. But in making the world so big and in killing load times, something had to give.

The graphics are fine, but they're not exceptional. Personally I think uncharted looks a little better. Don't get me started on BF3 for PC (the 360 is like 6 years old now...).

The Rick
November 2nd, 2011, 11:44 PM
The graphics are nice but he's right. They are nothing special. GTA has never had very good graphics because it's always been open-world.

You can get much better graphics than we see in the trailer.

You go play your saints row :getout: :p

I love all of what I saw, and heard from the trailer. Hell I will be patiently(or maybe not so patiently) waiting for their first Q&A session. With Batman AC I avoided 99% of the press just to keep everything a secret, so I could discover it for myself. This game is the complete opposite. I want to know as much about it as possible.

For those that didn't like GTA IV I strongly suggest you try the add on titles. The Lost and Damned, and The Ballad of Gay Tony change the game so much. The stories were much more engaging. The whole pack can be picked up pretty cheap just about anywhere. I know too many that didn't give those a try, because they didn't like the main story from GTA IV.

Beefy
November 3rd, 2011, 10:32 AM
This is why I didn't want to post the story in this thread - it's a good debate but nothing to with GTA V so I'll move some posts around.

wardy
November 3rd, 2011, 10:36 AM
I hope there are animals in the new game.

Beefy
November 3rd, 2011, 10:39 AM
There's a dog in the trailer.

The_Mike
November 3rd, 2011, 10:57 AM
This is why I didn't want to post the story in this thread - it's a good debate but nothing to with GTA V so I'll move some posts around.

Fair enough, though to relate that whole issue to the game itself, I am curious what sort of size GTAV would be. Does anyone recall how much space GTAIV took up?

I hope there are animals in the new game.

I think being able to hunt could be a great mini-game or distraction, and after RDR I imagine there is a good chance it would be in. Also, if there is a desert outside of town it might be a good idea to have it be a rather dangerous and hostile environment, full of snakes and the like, so that if you flee there from the cops or other gangs there's a price to pay.

grimshaw
November 3rd, 2011, 11:03 AM
GTA4 obviously fit on a DVD, so it can't be that big. Even some console games are pushing well beyond 1 disc on xbox. Including R*'s own 3-disc LA Noire.

While I do think it will probably hit 2 discs (unfortunately this is becoming rather pedestrian), I don't think it will be in LA Noire territory, where the extra space was seemingly due to the face business going on.

The_Mike
November 3rd, 2011, 11:22 AM
I had GTAIV on the PS3, didn't realise it fit on one DVD for the 360. I'm surprised at that, actually, but I suppose the city wasn't exactly huge by today's standards. I really hope they stretch their legs this time, though to be honest I'd be satisfied with San Andreas level graphics if the environment is enjoyable enough.

Nightman Sneaky Mean
November 3rd, 2011, 3:45 PM
Looks like they'll be dogs in the game.

Beefy
November 3rd, 2011, 7:25 PM
It won't be San Andreas without this:

George Strait-All my ex's live in texas - YouTube

Nightman Sneaky Mean
November 3rd, 2011, 7:31 PM
I think it's going to be just Los Santos, mate. Like a sprawled out LA, that'll be fucking huge in itself.

What I picked up from the trailer.

You play the role of a reformed "bank robber" perhaps who has moved here from the Midwest most likely.

I expect kids and dogs finally to be included in this game, I'd like to see custody battle where you never see your kids due to some ex-wife.

Bloods and crips, an 18th street-like gang and a gang based on the notorious Mara Salvatrucha.

End up getting locked up in prison where prison politics play a big part on how you survive, they'll be five options to go through here leading with five different outcomes.

Excel
November 3rd, 2011, 7:31 PM
That and...

GTA San Andreas Radio - K-Rose - Jerry Reed - Amos Moses - YouTube

Oh, and Ladies and Gentleman, Mr. Conway Twitty...

Conway Twitty & Lorretta Lynn - Louisiana Woman, Mississippi - YouTube

Excel
November 3rd, 2011, 7:33 PM
I think it's going to be just Los Santos, mate. Like a sprawled out LA, that'll be fucking huge in itself.

What I picked up from the trailer.

You play the role of a reformed "bank robber" perhaps who has moved here from the Midwest most likely.

I expect kids and dogs finally to be included in this game, I'd like to see custody battle where you never see your kids due to some ex-wife.

Bloods and crips, an 18th street-like gang and a gang based on the notorious Mara Salvatrucha.

End up getting locked up in prison where prison politics play a big part on how you survive, they'll be five options to go through here leading with five different outcomes.

You picked up all that from the trailer? You trying to sell us bullshit again?

Or are you just muddling together things you saw in the trailer with things you want to have?

Nightman Sneaky Mean
November 3rd, 2011, 7:56 PM
A little from colon A, a little from colon B.

Nightman Sneaky Mean
November 3rd, 2011, 7:58 PM
And a little from colon I have to take a massive shit.

Derek
November 3rd, 2011, 8:05 PM
Classy.

Beefy
November 4th, 2011, 5:07 AM
I also think it's going to only be Los Santos but wouldn't rule the other two cities out yet. As has been said, the first trailer for San Andreas only really showed Los Santos with the other cities being revealed in subsequent trailers.

wardy
November 4th, 2011, 5:54 AM
I've started replaying GTA III on PC but the gameplay can be very 'choppy' and sometimes it loads for a good 20 seconds when getting into a car or changing radio stations. I don't know anything about computers but I doubt it's so shit that it can't play a 10 year old game smoothly. Anyone have any tips for making the game run better? I've downloaded the latest driver for my graphics card which seems to have helped a bit, but not completely. I want to eventually get Vice City and San Andreas for the PC as well, but I want to make sure I they'll actually run properly first.

Beefy
November 4th, 2011, 6:00 AM
From what I recall, Vice City & San Andreas ran a lot better on PC than GTA III did which had problems with the game attempting to load up far more info at any time than it would need (for example it would 'draw' all the buildings and roads within the island that you were on regardless of whether the character could see them or not whereas the other two games only drew buildings, cars and people when you were able to see them).

The below is all probably bullshit but:
QUOTE (James_4991 @ Friday, Nov 4 2011, 01:05)
QUOTE (GTA5RULESALL @ Thursday, Nov 3 2011, 22:49)
Hi all, I am new to this forum and what I am writing here is not to spam/troll, etc. I work for a Playstation magazine in the UK ( I will not be disclosing any further details....) and a select few of our team have seen via video links with Rockstar in Scotland 30 minutes of in-game footage. I have not, personally, been privy to this unfortunately but I will relay to you what I have heard so far and I promise you that none of this is BS but that is down to the lot of you fans to judge. Ok, here goes:

1: The game world is absolutely massive and will push both xbox and PS3 to the very limit in terms of what it has accomplished. Yes, the main city is simply Los Santos however is it AT LEAST 4 times bigger than Liberty City in GTA 4 and that is just Los Santos. The surrounding country side, beaches, etc are massive. For instance, we saw the main character ( an African/American, early 30's) travel by car from the center of Los Santos into the wildnerness and it took over 15 minutes. The views were incredible from farmhouses with cattle, huge wind farms, an oil refinery which appeared to be living and breathing with nearly 100 NPCs working on machinery, operating vehicles, lifting and loaded, etc, unlike the gas works in GTA 4 which seemed to only house a few NPC at a time. The forests are more beautiful than those in RDR and featured people camping, young NPC drinking and dancing around campfires, people riding dirt bikes and jumping over logs, streams, etc. The water effects, forna, plants, trees all looked beautiful.

2: The shooting mechanics have been greatly improved with animations for diving, climbing, rolling and crawling all added for better realism. The re-loading animations for new ammo also look cooler, less static.

3: There is much more climbable elements in the world such as ladders, overhand climbing, etc.

4: There are animals in the game from dogs to cattle but at this time it is not confirmed if you will be able to harm the animals. Rockstar were able to get away with it in RDR as it was a true depiction of the world in which the game was set. Allowing dogs/cattle to die in a game sent in current times may cause headaches with PETA. Its unclear if Rockstar were joking here.

5: There are planes to pilot and they can be crashed into buildings if you choose to do so....

6: Rockstar have included many, many more interior locations such as a shopping mall, college campus, police station, a huge hospital and there is also a vast underground sewer network which one mission later in the game involves a jet ski chase that culminates in a Fugitive-esque waterfall jump ( there are nods to the ridiculous but awesome Ballad Of Gay Tony missions)

7: The city is full of NPCs jogging, weight-lifting, hitting on women, being chased on foot by cops, shopping, washing cars, fixing fences, moving home, filling up their cars, etc.

REAL JUICY INFO:

1: Cars can be upgraded/repaired and it has been considered to have a car have fuel forcing the player to fill her up.

2: The dating aspect of the game is gone. You still have a cell-phone but only people you will meet in the game will call you to ask you to do a mission or to ask you to do something else before the mission.

3: Weapons include the usual arsenal you'd aspect but the flamethrowers, remote mines, laxer trip mines and claymores are included. It is possible now to pick up random objects in a street/buidling to use as a weapon. There is also a museam where it is possible to steal old age swords, axes, etc.

4: it is possible to rupture a fuel line and if you shot at the trail of gasoline it will lead straight back to the car blowing it up.

5: mini games such as bowling, darts, etc have all gone. You can play basketball, weight train, arm wrestle, gamble and cage fight, enter triatholons, water races, cannoing, ab-saling, rock climbing, base jumping, ski diving. More to be confirmed.

6: Character customisation is back but only in terms of clothing, body weight, etc. The player you start off which, much like CJ, can't be altered by race, age, height, etc.

7: Rockstar said burglary missions may return but only as part of missions and not on neigbourhood houses.

8: No children NPC at all. Ever.

9: There is now an ability to grab people and use as sheilds or in "hostage" situations.

10: The cops are much, much, much more realistic. If you kill somebody when you know there are no cops around you will not run the risk of a one star as often as you would in GTA4. The cops will use smoke and tear gas, dogs, riot gear and rams to knock down the doors of buildings you are hiding in.

11: You can enter some buildings and lock doors, push objects in the way to barricade.

12: You become better at things as the game progresses. If you only ride motorbikes then you will increase your skills, same as individual weapons.

13: Certain weapons can be customisable and some even home-made.

14: One mission involves breaking out a very familiar GTA icon from a previous game...

15: Torrential rain fall and sunshine and even tremors will appear in the game.

Hope you enjoy

Beefy
November 4th, 2011, 6:01 AM
From what I recall, Vice City & San Andreas ran a lot better on PC than GTA III did which had problems with the game attempting to load up far more info at any time than it would need (for example it would 'draw' all the buildings and roads within the island that you were on regardless of whether the character could see them or not whereas the other two games only drew buildings, cars and people when you were able to see them).

It could be that the game just isn't as compatible with modern computers as well. My laptop is pretty new but won't play them because of its graphics card. They also weren't designed to run on current versions of Windows.

The below is all probably bullshit but:
QUOTE (James_4991 @ Friday, Nov 4 2011, 01:05)
QUOTE (GTA5RULESALL @ Thursday, Nov 3 2011, 22:49)
Hi all, I am new to this forum and what I am writing here is not to spam/troll, etc. I work for a Playstation magazine in the UK ( I will not be disclosing any further details....) and a select few of our team have seen via video links with Rockstar in Scotland 30 minutes of in-game footage. I have not, personally, been privy to this unfortunately but I will relay to you what I have heard so far and I promise you that none of this is BS but that is down to the lot of you fans to judge. Ok, here goes:

1: The game world is absolutely massive and will push both xbox and PS3 to the very limit in terms of what it has accomplished. Yes, the main city is simply Los Santos however is it AT LEAST 4 times bigger than Liberty City in GTA 4 and that is just Los Santos. The surrounding country side, beaches, etc are massive. For instance, we saw the main character ( an African/American, early 30's) travel by car from the center of Los Santos into the wildnerness and it took over 15 minutes. The views were incredible from farmhouses with cattle, huge wind farms, an oil refinery which appeared to be living and breathing with nearly 100 NPCs working on machinery, operating vehicles, lifting and loaded, etc, unlike the gas works in GTA 4 which seemed to only house a few NPC at a time. The forests are more beautiful than those in RDR and featured people camping, young NPC drinking and dancing around campfires, people riding dirt bikes and jumping over logs, streams, etc. The water effects, forna, plants, trees all looked beautiful.

2: The shooting mechanics have been greatly improved with animations for diving, climbing, rolling and crawling all added for better realism. The re-loading animations for new ammo also look cooler, less static.

3: There is much more climbable elements in the world such as ladders, overhand climbing, etc.

4: There are animals in the game from dogs to cattle but at this time it is not confirmed if you will be able to harm the animals. Rockstar were able to get away with it in RDR as it was a true depiction of the world in which the game was set. Allowing dogs/cattle to die in a game sent in current times may cause headaches with PETA. Its unclear if Rockstar were joking here.

5: There are planes to pilot and they can be crashed into buildings if you choose to do so....

6: Rockstar have included many, many more interior locations such as a shopping mall, college campus, police station, a huge hospital and there is also a vast underground sewer network which one mission later in the game involves a jet ski chase that culminates in a Fugitive-esque waterfall jump ( there are nods to the ridiculous but awesome Ballad Of Gay Tony missions)

7: The city is full of NPCs jogging, weight-lifting, hitting on women, being chased on foot by cops, shopping, washing cars, fixing fences, moving home, filling up their cars, etc.

REAL JUICY INFO:

1: Cars can be upgraded/repaired and it has been considered to have a car have fuel forcing the player to fill her up.

2: The dating aspect of the game is gone. You still have a cell-phone but only people you will meet in the game will call you to ask you to do a mission or to ask you to do something else before the mission.

3: Weapons include the usual arsenal you'd aspect but the flamethrowers, remote mines, laxer trip mines and claymores are included. It is possible now to pick up random objects in a street/buidling to use as a weapon. There is also a museam where it is possible to steal old age swords, axes, etc.

4: it is possible to rupture a fuel line and if you shot at the trail of gasoline it will lead straight back to the car blowing it up.

5: mini games such as bowling, darts, etc have all gone. You can play basketball, weight train, arm wrestle, gamble and cage fight, enter triatholons, water races, cannoing, ab-saling, rock climbing, base jumping, ski diving. More to be confirmed.

6: Character customisation is back but only in terms of clothing, body weight, etc. The player you start off which, much like CJ, can't be altered by race, age, height, etc.

7: Rockstar said burglary missions may return but only as part of missions and not on neigbourhood houses.

8: No children NPC at all. Ever.

9: There is now an ability to grab people and use as sheilds or in "hostage" situations.

10: The cops are much, much, much more realistic. If you kill somebody when you know there are no cops around you will not run the risk of a one star as often as you would in GTA4. The cops will use smoke and tear gas, dogs, riot gear and rams to knock down the doors of buildings you are hiding in.

11: You can enter some buildings and lock doors, push objects in the way to barricade.

12: You become better at things as the game progresses. If you only ride motorbikes then you will increase your skills, same as individual weapons.

13: Certain weapons can be customisable and some even home-made.

14: One mission involves breaking out a very familiar GTA icon from a previous game...

15: Torrential rain fall and sunshine and even tremors will appear in the game.

Hope you enjoy

El Capitano Gatisto
November 4th, 2011, 6:06 AM
The size of the map in RDR I found quite annoying to be honest. That trailer looks lovely but my worry with Rockstar now after GTA4 and RDR is that they spend so much time dressing the windows that they forget the mechanics and the gameplay.

Simon
November 4th, 2011, 6:10 AM
If all that was true this could actually be good.

El Capitano Gatisto
November 4th, 2011, 6:13 AM
The shooting mechanics in the 3D GTA games always irritated the shit out of me. It was all based on just standing there shooting each other, until your bigger gun and body armour made their life bar go faster and yours slower. It was really glaring in a game that was trying to become as realistic as possible that they seemed to put no thought into the gunfighting whatsoever. That part of RDR was much better.

The Rogerer
November 4th, 2011, 6:13 AM
I left school over a decade ago and I do not want to be subjected to these blatant playground rumours Beefy. A lot of them aren't even desirable, just drivel.

There's been a large number of mods and things for GTAIII Wardy. You should have a look around for a game patch.

I've been replaying GTAIII on a little TV in the bedroom (which has been a nostaligic experience in itself), and I'm about 30 missions in now. I've done all the Yakuza missions, doing the Yardie phone missions before moving onto that informant guy. It's played very well so far and I like the game even more than I did at the time.

The one benefit is that it's given me a clue as to what went wrong with GTA IV, and it started with San Andreas. The difference is that 3 remembers at all times that it is a driving game. Even at this stage in the game I was given quite a mundane task of collecting three gang cars. This just meant a couple of trips over to the other island, but even something as simple as that would allow weird situations to emerge. They let the game take care of itself. Yes, you had to manually drive to places, but you were in charge of your own resources and there was an investment in that.

SA had a wealth of missions that were nothing to do with driving, and introduced that driving skill nonsense so right from the start the driving felt off. They did away with that and I liked the handling in 4, but by then it was too late. Many of the missions weren't about driving any more, and the ones that were became so tightly scripted, you were provided a car, etc, there was no joy in finding a decent car and letting you hang onto it. The game kept getting in the way, and it's need to make you jump through all these hoops became it's downfall. It should be a driving game.

What really turned me off was the statistics shit in SA /buying brothels and drug dens in Vice City Stories, and the way stuff like GTA does it. I want to break the law like the Blues Brothers did, not spend a game where I'm being a cunt stealing people's VCRs and setting up crackhouses. I can do all that in real life.

Beefy
November 4th, 2011, 6:17 AM
The shooting mechanics in the 3D GTA games always irritated the shit out of me. It was all based on just standing there shooting each other, until your bigger gun and body armour made their life bar go faster and yours slower. It was really glaring in a game that was trying to become as realistic as possible that they seemed to put no thought into the gunfighting whatsoever. That part of RDR was much better.

I tried to pick up The Lost & The Damned (The GTAIV DLC) last night for the first time in a couple of months. First gun fight I had I just froze as none of the controls seemed to make any sense. When I last tried to play through San Andreas a couple of years ago I really struggled with the controls as well yet at launch I was fine with both of them.

I know you don't like RDR much, but I thought it was pretty lovely other than a few minor issues with controlling Marston. I hope Rockstar North take some inspiration from it.

Beefy
November 4th, 2011, 6:20 AM
I left school over a decade ago and I do not want to be subjected to these blatant playground rumours Beefy. A lot of them aren't even desirable, just drivel.

I did say that it's probably bollocks.

The Rogerer
November 4th, 2011, 6:26 AM
I don't mean any harm, I'm just annoyed that they're seeing the light of day.

wardy
November 4th, 2011, 6:26 AM
If that's all true it will be amazing, but FIFTEEN minutes is a long fucking time in a computer game.

Cheers Rog, I'll have a look for a patch.

Beefy, I started playing GTA IV again last week and couldn't get used to the controls either. I was running around like some sort of robot and kept pressing R1 to shoot, which kept making me clumsily hide behind whatever was nearby. I'm used to it now though and really enjoying it again second time around. Just ordered 'Episodes From Liberty City' to keep me going too.

El Capitano Gatisto
November 4th, 2011, 6:29 AM
I tried to pick up The Lost & The Damned (The GTAIV DLC) last night for the first time in a couple of months. First gun fight I had I just froze as none of the controls seemed to make any sense. When I last tried to play through San Andreas a couple of years ago I really struggled with the controls as well yet at launch I was fine with both of them.

I know you don't like RDR much, but I thought it was pretty lovely other than a few minor issues with controlling Marston. I hope Rockstar North take some inspiration from it.

I keep telling myself I'll pick up RDR again where I left off when I get a bit of time but it's very unlikely now with MW3 and Skyrim coming out, with Dark Souls to finish. I liked the direction they went with the shooting but disliked the massive amounts of pointless travelling and the incessant expositional chatter during the missions, that I had no role in. You were basically pointing a sprite around while stuff happened to it to trigger cutscenes.

I think the reason I like Dark Souls so much is because there's basically no exposition at all and your character feels genuinely lost, but obviously that's not possible for a plot-driven game.

Bennedy
November 4th, 2011, 6:32 AM
Ahaha I used to do exactly the same as wardy when I first played GTA 4.

Me and it didn't end up having the best gaming relationship.

Beefy
November 4th, 2011, 6:33 AM
Personally I'm a big fan of plot-driven games, I see a lot of these games as being interactive movies in that you only really have control over 10% of what goes on but that doesn't realy bother me. My favourite series ever is Metal Gear Solid in which you spend 60% of the game time just going along for the ride.

El Capitano Gatisto
November 4th, 2011, 6:36 AM
I didn't like MGS very much. It seems we are just very different people.

But I did love GTA games up until GTA4. The added RPG-style or frivolous elements of GTA:SA pissed me off but could be overlooked once they were out of the way.

The Rogerer
November 4th, 2011, 6:41 AM
I think that is where gaming has gone wrong in the last ten years. I have no problem with story games, but Snake Eater has an awful lot of conceptual flaws on how it tells a story, on top of doing some things very well. I don't have a problem with games being story heavy but many of them fail to do it effectively.

GTA3 cut scenes work because they are very economical and they really get the job done, and it's better to leave things in the air. You can see the simple story threads playing out, but the unique thing about making a game is that you have to have your world tell the story too and 3 is very good at doing that. The city has enough personality in itself and I have found myself acting spitefully to NPCs. Someone was beeping their car at me while I had to jump out and get something, and I made sure to reverse right into her before I sped off.

On MGS, I completed 4 again after replaying 3. I got put right off 4 by the end of it, this would have been my fourth time through but I'm a couple of years older and it really changed my attitude towards the game. The thing that strikes me about the cinematic scenes in it, and also the ones in RDR and GTA IV, is that there is so much dead air between lines that the characters aren't able to express properly because they're not humans with subtle mannerisms. That, and there's issues with pacing and timing.

There's just not a lot of developers who can evoke a cinematic feel without picking up inappropriate habits. I think you can have more story told more effectively if you dial it back, and GTA is a bad place to tell a meaningful story as the game world completely fails to marry up with the story experience.

(P.S. I grew to like Snake Eater, but the start is a frustrating experience when you have the big early encounters with Ocelot and you're watching the game get to do fun and exciting things, while you had to spend your time getting knocked over by alligators and shuffling through grass)

El Capitano Gatisto
November 4th, 2011, 6:48 AM
The Uncharted games probably get the balance right, like the old Tomb Raider games, where you'd puzzle your way through a level to get to a cutscene which advances the story but essentially reserves the main action for you to play through and never feels like it's slowing the game down.

Guy
November 4th, 2011, 8:04 AM
If the traveling ever got boring for me in RDR I just used the campfire teleport.

If they put something like that in GTAV, then all the better.

Beefy
November 4th, 2011, 8:05 AM
You could hail a taxi in GTA IV which did the same job and took probably less time than setting up the campfire and going through that animation did.

wardy
November 4th, 2011, 8:14 AM
Aye the taxi system dealt with that problem completely unless a mission requires you to travel in a specific way.

Guy
November 4th, 2011, 8:15 AM
Ah this is true, I forgot about that. Sorted then.

I hope they put the Ambulance and Taxi missions back in also.

Beefy
November 4th, 2011, 8:21 AM
True. I was driving through Liberty City last night and saw an unguarded fire engine which I ditched my bike for and then realised I couldn't do anything with it other than drench people with water.

Mark Hammer
November 4th, 2011, 9:44 AM
The taxi system was great though I'd get annoyed those times when I'd accidently jack the taxi instead of getting in the back seat.

El Capitano Gatisto
November 4th, 2011, 9:55 AM
I meant the travelling during missions in RDR. Much of the time there was no way to avoid that.

eldanielfire
November 4th, 2011, 5:37 PM
I meant the travelling during missions in RDR. Much of the time there was no way to avoid that.

I agree with that. It was frustrating just waiting or just ravelling slowly to get somewhere you passed to get to ther mission start. Compare that with GTA: SA which the bits you can't control were short and gave you information you needed to know or where some spectacular end to a mission so you were happy for the breather and enjoyed the entertaining interaction.

The Rick
November 4th, 2011, 5:44 PM
from Gamespot.com

[UPDATE]: Rockstar today officially confirmed Grand Theft Auto V was in "full development," and would see the game return to the city of Los Santos "and surrounding hills, countryside and beaches." The developer also said it was the largest game it had ever created and would be focused "on the pursuit of the almighty dollar in a re-imagined, present day Southern California." Rockstar also promised that Grand Theft Auto V would represent a "bold new direction" in mission-based gameplay, storytelling, and online multiplayer.
link (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6343633/grand-theft-auto-v-returns-to-san-andreas?tag=newstop%3Btitle%3B16) to article

Nightman Sneaky Mean
November 4th, 2011, 5:54 PM
People who think Tommy Vercetti and CJ were shown in the trailer make me want to smack their face off. This isn't COD, with the same recycled shit over and over. I think Dan wants to make a game that could pass off as a major motion Hollywood picture.

Psycho666Soldier
November 4th, 2011, 5:58 PM
It wouldn't be that farfetched considering GTA have a thing for putting in cameos. I don't think either will be in the game, including any of the other GTA protagonists, but I could see why some people would make those rumors. I wouldn't be surprised if they put those models in the game on purpose to get some people stirred up when they see them flash by for a couple seconds without a real chance for analysis.

Nightman Sneaky Mean
November 4th, 2011, 6:12 PM
GTA IV is set in a different universe. CJ, Vercetti, everyone is dead. GTA V will more connected to IV than III.

Nightman Sneaky Mean
November 4th, 2011, 6:18 PM
They won't mate.

The Rick
November 4th, 2011, 6:26 PM
that's not to say that there won't be nods to previous characters in GTA V though. Discovery is one of my favorite things about the GTA series.

spoiler for size
http://images.wikia.com/gtawiki/images/1/1d/Graffiti_on_the_wall_depicting_characters_from_GTA _III.jpg

wardy
November 4th, 2011, 6:29 PM
That's quality. Whereabouts the in the game is that?

Nightman Sneaky Mean
November 4th, 2011, 6:41 PM
It's on a wall on the first island near Broker and all that.

The Rogerer
November 4th, 2011, 9:29 PM
I think Dan wants to make a game that could pass off as a major motion Hollywood picture.He might be better trying to make a major game.

Beefy
November 7th, 2011, 11:34 AM
I had a lengthy session on GTA 3 yesterday afternoon on the PS2 at my Parents' place. I was surpised at how much I got done in a few hours - according to the stats I'm at 24% completion and have done 33 of the 73 story missions. the game felt so much bigger and longer at the time.

Still a huge amount of fun though and looks lovely on a small TV.

Matty C
November 7th, 2011, 12:00 PM
It's amazing how much the size of today's TVs change the need for a better quality picture. When I watch sports highlights from the 90s they look like crap but back then I thought they were fine, with my 17 inch TV. I thought that I had just become used to HD but I watched some highlights from back in the day picture in picture the other day and they seemed fine again. The big TV just highlights every little imperfection. I still love playing my original NES on the 50 inch screen though. It's just hilarious.

The_Mike
November 7th, 2011, 12:05 PM
He might be better trying to make a major game.

Agreed. I'm all for trying to make games with awesome stories, I love the Final Fantasy series and that's just pressing X until the next cutscene, but Grand Theft Auto is supposed to be about playing around and having fun, not trying to be the next Martin Scorsese picture. There's a time and a place, and GTA isn't it, and it concerns me a bit that lots of game developers are hopping on the bandwagon of having to make everything cinematic rather than playable.

I had a lengthy session on GTA 3 yesterday afternoon on the PS2 at my Parents' place. I was surpised at how much I got done in a few hours - according to the stats I'm at 24% completion and have done 33 of the 73 story missions. the game felt so much bigger and longer at the time.

Still a huge amount of fun though and looks lovely on a small TV.

I wonder if it seemed so much bigger and longer back then because you likely would have spent a lot of time between missions screwing around, causing trouble and exploring. It took me a few weeks to get through the story missions if I recall correctly, because I was pretty satisfied just cruising around, looking for the best cars and the biggest jumps, and constantly trying to get a damn Dodo in the air.

The Rogerer
November 7th, 2011, 12:23 PM
I'm up to doing the Donald Love missions now. I put a lot of it down to being a better gamer, not just at skill but being better at strategy and knowing how to exploit GTA weaknesses. The other being that I have a more methodical approach and have stuck with one mission until I beat it, and being more into getting to Ammunation when needed.

Beefy
November 7th, 2011, 12:55 PM
I was doing a fair bit of screwing around as well as blitzing through missions. Must have spent half an hour doing taxi jobs to get cash and I remembered how much more difficult completing the fire and ambulance missions were if you didn't do them before all the gangs wanted to kill you so I put time into those (unsuccessfully I should add).

A lot of the missions were easier than they were at the time because I remembered how I'd beaten them ten years ago. For example the one where you assassinate Salvatore Leone I remembered straight away what I had to do, the next mission where you have to kill the mafia spies I remembered that they were in the building opposite and needed sniping where a decade ago I spent hours trying to find them. Plus the one where you have to snipe a path through for 8-Ball to bomb the boat at Portland Harbour I blitzed first time yesterday when I remember that one causing me real problems first time around.

I've not done any of the rampages or jumps yet and I've only got one of the hidden packages. I'm back at my parents over Christmas though and am pretty confident of being able to 100% the game in another two or three monster sittings.

Nightman Sneaky Mean
November 8th, 2011, 11:03 AM
It seems as though V will not feature Las Venturas or San Fierro instead...

We are very proud to officially announce that Grand Theft Auto V is in full development. Developed by series creator Rockstar North, Grand Theft Auto V heads to the city of Los Santos and surrounding hills, countryside and beaches in the largest and most ambitious game Rockstar has yet created. A bold new direction in open-world freedom, storytelling, mission-based gameplay and online multiplayer, Grand Theft Auto V focuses on the pursuit of the almighty dollar in a re-imagined, present day Southern California.

So, I'm going to assume it's going to feature a shitload of counties based on...

Los Angeles County
Orange County
San Diego County
Riverside County
San Bernardino County
Kern County
Ventura County
Santa Barbara County
San Luis Obispo County
Imperial County

That could easily take the map and make it just as big as III's San Andreas. Plus, there would be varying degrees of contrast between each county with snowy mountains to deserts, to downtown Hollywood, to beaches, all sorts of stuff.

Cubed-Sphere
November 8th, 2011, 12:14 PM
I don't expect to see San Fierro and Las Venturas, but that's fine with me as long as there still happens to be a varied amount of countryside to go with the city and beaches of Los Santos... and from the trailer that looks to be the case, so I'm cool.

Nightman Sneaky Mean
November 8th, 2011, 6:09 PM
Kern and San Luis Obispo aren't in the game, because the north of the map is bordered by the Tetas Grandes Mountain Range (Real-life equivalent is the Los Padres Nat'l Forest). Imperial County and Riverside County have been combined into one. The same goes with Santa Barbara and Ventura County.

If anyone wants me to I can name all of the counties in-game.

See if I can get more details on V's So Cal area.

Nightman Sneaky Mean
November 8th, 2011, 6:54 PM
More rumoured stuff and information on V's vast landscape. Probably take it with a grain of salt.

Los Angeles County: Los Santos County
Orange County: Valais County
San Diego County: Santa Hueso County
San Bernardino County: Brigham County
Ventura/Santa Barbara County: Santa Catarina County
Riverside/Imperial County: Trecena County

There are snow-capped mountains in game. Most of them are within Brigham County, which is also the largest county aside for Los Santos. The largest mountain in the game is Mt. Slippery, it's real life equivalent is Mt. San Antonio, and it's North East of LS.

Bordering the northern edge of the map is the Tetas Grandes mountain range (the big mountains shown in the trailer), which is impassible by any means. If you go out to sea and try to fly or boat around the mountains, they just continue forever. The eastern border of the map is the yucca desert, which also stretches on into infinity. There's a single road which runs through it, though if you travel too far out you get a message saying there's nothing out there and it's kind of creepy. To the west and south are the Pacific ocean. To the southeast is the Mexican-American border, but it's referred to only as 'the border' because we didn't to give players the illusion that Mexico is a region in the game. Crossing over the border will get you 5 stars unless you turn around and head back right away. Also, on the other edge of the border is another endless desert, just like the eastern border.

tarantino
November 9th, 2011, 12:02 AM
I hope they don't replicate LA's traffic.

The Rogerer
November 9th, 2011, 4:53 AM
Crossing over the border will get you 5 stars unless you turn around and head back right away.Also in the game will be corrupt cops you can run down the street and a cop will not like the look of you and you get one star and then the cop will say for you to empty your pockets and he will take your flick knife and then you have to break into a police station to get it back and you activate the sprinklers and all the cops get wet also there are strip clubs but now you can audition to be in a porno and you can totally do women and get points, then you get out and get into your car and you have to check the tire pressure, you can drive all the way north east but then you get homesick and your character turns around you will also be able to visit oronge county.

I might call my 12 year old brother and see if any of his mates at school have heard anything. I'm sure one of them is a major shareholder in Rockstar.

grimshaw
November 9th, 2011, 6:05 AM
I heard there's going to be a minus world.

Nightman Sneaky Mean
November 9th, 2011, 2:56 PM
I feel like Just Joe in those old WWF angles from 2000.

Nightman Sneaky Mean
November 10th, 2011, 5:10 AM
More murmurs, really can't be bothered reporting every leak since there's a thousand of them out there but I found this interesting.

Rockstar will be using actor Ned Luke as the voice and likeness for the game's protagonist, Albert de Silva, with the same technology that was used in LA Noire to capture facial expressions and motions.

Albert is a reformed criminal from the Midwest who moves to Los Santos to settle down. He is currently divorced and shares joint custody of a FPS-obsessed, foul-mouthed teenage son and a young daughter. Albert gets caught dragged back into his old ways when he is unable to make ends meet with child support and ends up losing most of his stuff to his ex-wife.

Some missions have you overseeing and providing security for drug deals and the transportation of drugs that involve other criminal organizations and Asian-American street gangs. Some of these mission strands take place in and around Rockstar's version of Los Angeles' Downtown, Chinatown and Koreatown districts, the latter aptly named Little Seoul. Your contact is an non-English speaking, rather buffoonish member of the Triads who could be likened to Ken Jeong's portrayal of Asian gangster Leslie Chow in The Hangover.

The more money you acquire in-game, the more attention you will garner from Rockstar's version of the I.R.S. causing the Feds to come down on you and investigate. You will have to regularly launder your money to keep attention off of yourself and by association, your contacts as well. A new dynamic is going to be introduced where some major characters can turn on you and order your death or stop working with you altogether if they believe you aligned with the F.I.B.

The main antagonists of the game will be a pair of clean-cut Federal agents. The contrast here between yourself and the supposed "bad guys" of this game will be quite interesting as technically, you are the bad guy and the Feds are the good guys from a neutral stand point but the protagonist will share alot in common with one of the pair as the two both have family and on-going financial problems. They even go as far as regarding each other highly and respecting each other.Who's Ned Luke?

This guy...

http://oi42.tinypic.com/255m73b.jpg

Nightman Sneaky Mean
November 10th, 2011, 5:10 AM
More murmurs, really can't be bothered reporting every leak since there's a thousand of them out there but I found this interesting.

Rockstar will be using actor Ned Luke as the voice and likeness for the game's protagonist, Albert de Silva, with the same technology that was used in LA Noire to capture facial expressions and motions.

Albert is a reformed criminal from the Midwest who moves to Los Santos to settle down. He is currently divorced and shares joint custody of a FPS-obsessed, foul-mouthed teenage son and a young daughter. Albert gets caught dragged back into his old ways when he is unable to make ends meet with child support and ends up losing most of his stuff to his ex-wife.

Some missions have you overseeing and providing security for drug deals and the transportation of drugs that involve other criminal organizations and Asian-American street gangs. Some of these mission strands take place in and around Rockstar's version of Los Angeles' Downtown, Chinatown and Koreatown districts, the latter aptly named Little Seoul. Your contact is an non-English speaking, rather buffoonish member of the Triads who could be likened to Ken Jeong's portrayal of Asian gangster Leslie Chow in The Hangover.

The more money you acquire in-game, the more attention you will garner from Rockstar's version of the I.R.S. causing the Feds to come down on you and investigate. You will have to regularly launder your money to keep attention off of yourself and by association, your contacts as well. A new dynamic is going to be introduced where some major characters can turn on you and order your death or stop working with you altogether if they believe you aligned with the F.I.B.

The main antagonists of the game will be a pair of clean-cut Federal agents. The contrast here between yourself and the supposed "bad guys" of this game will be quite interesting as technically, you are the bad guy and the Feds are the good guys from a neutral stand point but the protagonist will share alot in common with one of the pair as the two both have family and on-going financial problems. They even go as far as regarding each other highly and respecting each other.Who's Ned Luke?

This guy...

http://oi42.tinypic.com/255m73b.jpg

GeezaTap
November 11th, 2011, 9:45 AM
Laundering money? Seems like they didn't learn that much from people's criticisms of GTA4. That said, it was harmless enough in Scarface, so who knows?

Gonna take a lot to win me back from Saint's Row though.

Nightman Sneaky Mean
November 19th, 2011, 6:37 PM
GTA V will win purely because it's more grounded than SR. Sure, it's fun to fire down laser guided missles from a drone in the air but the game is fucking ridiculous. If GTA V includes a drug dealing system like Chinatown Wars, it'll definitely win.

Bishop_Supreme
November 19th, 2011, 7:10 PM
Thats the reason I like both Saints Row and GTA...

I don't like the thought of having two games that are essentially the same thing in my collection.

Its like if I were a racing game fan I wouldn't be interested in two Racing Simulation games. I'd just choose the one I think was better and buy that one. But if it was a good Racing Sim and a good arcade style Racing game... I'd have no problem buying both.

I see GTA being closer to a simulation game now days while Saints Row is arcade style and both are different enough for me to say they're the best games at what they do. So I have Saints Row the 3rd and I'm looking forward to owning GTA V when it comes out.

Cubed-Sphere
November 19th, 2011, 10:21 PM
I've never agreed with anyone over anything more than I'm agreeing with Bishop right now.

grimshaw
November 19th, 2011, 11:14 PM
I completely agree with Mr Bishop. I'm really glad that Saints Row is no longer a GTA clone and devs have realised that copying GTA is a stupid thing. I end up with more better games.

NSM I don't quite know what you mean by 'gta will win'.

Nightman Sneaky Mean
November 19th, 2011, 11:38 PM
I'm a GTA fanboy. GTA to me is like The Wire, Saint's Row is like... Uh, an over-the-top version of that shitty Underbelly series.

The Rick
April 28th, 2012, 8:46 PM
While this is just a prediction, Michael Pachter is usually pretty keen on this stuff.

Wedbush Securities' Michael Pachter expects Rockstar Games' open-world title to ship one week after BioShock: Infinite this fall season.
By Eddie Makuch April 27, 2012 9:08AM PDT
gamespot link (http://www.gamespot.com/news/grand-theft-auto-v-launching-oct-23-2012-predicts-analyst-6373826)

The much-anticipated open-world action game Grand Theft Auto V will ship on October 23, 2012, according to Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter. Speaking on the latest episode of GameTrailers TV, Pachter acknowledged that shipping on that date would be just a week behind another major Take-Two property, BioShock Infinite (October 16), but he did not budge on his belief.

"I know that's too close to BioShock Infinite," he said. "I don't think the Rockstar guys care about a 2K game."

If GTAV ships on October 23, 2012, gamers will be barraged with high-profile games in consecutive weeks. The October-November release calendar could shape up to be: BioShock Infinite (October 16), GTAV (October 23), Assassin's Creed III (October 30), Halo 4 (November 6), and if rumor proves accurate, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 on November 13.

As for when new GTAV details might arrive, Pachter believes Rockstar will let loose new information the Monday before the 2012 Electronic Entertainment Expo commences.

"My read on those guys, is they like stealing the thunder from everybody else," he said. Pachter went on to explain offering new details about the game on this day would make GTAV the most-talked-about game of the show, despite not actually having a presence there.

This is not the first indication of an October 2012 release date for GTAV. Earlier this month, a Rockstar North employee's resume pointed to the action game shipping during that window.

Not all are on board with a 2012 release date for GTAV. Janco Partners' Mike Hickey and Sterne Agee's Arvind Bhatia are expecting the game to arrive in 2013, and specialty retailer GameStop is not counting on it to ship this year.

When GTAV does eventually arrive, it will do so with lofty sales expectations. Multiple reports suggest the game could sell many millions of copies, with one projecting it could sell 24 million units if it maintains historical attach rates.

Rockstar took the wraps off GTAV in October and issued the game's first trailer in early November. The game will be set primarily in present-day Los Santos, a fictional town modeled on Los Angeles. Rockstar has also said that GTAV boasts the largest scope of any installment in the franchise to date.

I for one will be hurting this fall. GTAV, Bioshock, and Assassin's Creed III are all games that I'm looking forward to. Borderlands 2 drops the month before too.

Alf
April 29th, 2012, 9:31 AM
Last fall was also brutal. Get saving now.

The Rogerer
April 29th, 2012, 9:46 AM
I'm not having a go at you because I wanted to type fall the other day and had to stop myself. Is Autumn dead now?

Even if I had misgivings about Rockstar's output, it will be impossible not to want to be a part of the next one.

Judas Iscariot
April 29th, 2012, 5:18 PM
Autumn will never die so long as there is breath in my lungs.

Bad Collin
April 29th, 2012, 5:22 PM
We can use both, that is the joy of English. Imagine the benefit of having both Autumn and Fall when writing songs or poems.

I can't wait to hire, kill and rob a hooker as usual.

The Rick
June 20th, 2012, 8:22 PM
nowgamer link (http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1417801/has_harada_seen_gta_5_at_e3_2012.html)

Has Harada Seen GTA 5 At E3 2012?

Is Rockstar showing off its next Grand Theft Auto behind closed doors at this year's E3?

While the world anticipates even a slither of GTA 5 news, Rockstar could well be hiding away at E3 2012 showing off Grand Theft Auto in secret.

It's something the developer has done before, often preferring the behind-the-scenes demos of E3 than the on-stage one-upmanship that usually goes on.

But it seems Tekken developer Katsuhiro Harada might have seen GTA 5 behind closed doors, according to a Tweet of his.

He Tweets his thanks to "Rockstar Games GTA, MAX PAYNE Team" as well as "Treyarch CoD BLACK OPS Team".

Innocent enough, especially when he refers to both Rockstar and Treyarch as developers and his friends. Aww.

But Harada also tweets in Japanese, and a quick translation seems to suggest something a little more"

"MAX PAYNE team and Grand Theft Auto, of Rockstar Games. Thanks to Mark Lamia of CoD BLACK OPS Team Head of Treyarch. I promise to protect!"

What exactly is it he's promising to protect? This ties into a recent rumour of the Rockstar logo spotted on a door behind the glimmer and sheen of the E3 show floor.

http://nowgamer.net-genie.co.uk/siteimage/scale/480/270/332049.jpg

The logos - which was said to be spotted in meeting room 5 - is alongside the logos of parent company Take Two and fellow subsidary 2K Games.

But with Max Payne 3 already out, what could Rockstar have to show?

Make of this what you will, but it seems likely to us that Harada - as a well-known and popular game developer - would be given access by Rockstar to see its next GTA.

We can live in hope, at the very least.

I'm probably just getting my hopes up. Could be they're showing something else. We haven't seen smugglers run game in forever.

Beer-Belly
June 22nd, 2012, 5:27 PM
Is there a rumored release date?

Olympus
June 22nd, 2012, 7:48 PM
Several rumors have been circulating saying October 2012. That might seem crazy, but GTA games don't exactly need a lot of advance advertising. It'll sell 10 billion copies even if the official date is announced a week before.

April/May 2013 seems a lot more logical though. Rockstar seems to release their games in either April/May (GTA IV, Max Payne III, RDR) or October (GTA III, Vice City, San Andreas).

Newf
July 12th, 2012, 1:41 PM
It's not much, but Egotastic.com posted these screens:

http://cdn03.cdn.egotastic.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/12/gtafive1-900x675.jpg
http://cdn02.cdn.egotastic.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/12/gtafive2-900x675.jpg

The Rogerer
July 12th, 2012, 1:45 PM
What was that site called again?

Newf
July 12th, 2012, 1:48 PM
It's called I'llfuckingflytowhereveryouareandkillyouifyousassm eagain.com

John Wilkes Telephone Boo
July 12th, 2012, 1:51 PM
I am very excited for this one. I live in so cal and it is always cool to see Rockstar's interpretation of where I live. ...And maybe I am hoping for an Arrested Development easter egg in their version of the OC

Olympus
July 13th, 2012, 1:05 PM
Frozen banana stands?

John Wilkes Telephone Boo
July 13th, 2012, 6:32 PM
That or "Shameless Plugs" in the GTA version of Placentia. But yeah, a banana stand with a guy in a rocket jet and banana suit will suffice.

Beefy
August 20th, 2012, 12:15 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/603544_10151203110825097_1033406005_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/292940_10151203110895097_326702135_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/383792_10151203110730097_1460556476_n.jpg

Funboy
August 20th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Unreal graphics. I hate how they toy with us, but love it at the same time!
Haven't bought a game since Skyrim; prob won't until this comes out...

Beefy
August 22nd, 2012, 10:22 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/s480x480/228541_10151207876055097_2001477220_n.jpg

Hlebsfall
August 22nd, 2012, 10:36 AM
Just Cause Theft Auto

Simon
August 22nd, 2012, 10:51 AM
There's a new photo out of a tennis match in progress. This is all very nice and everything but any chance of them telling us that they've improved the gameplay so it's not just drive to arbitrary place on map, punch-punch-kick, drive back to safehouse, repeat ad infinitum?

Pablo Diablo
August 22nd, 2012, 10:56 AM
Really should have been using the guns there Si. I think that's your problem.

Beefy
August 22nd, 2012, 11:57 AM
There's a new photo out of a tennis match in progress. This is all very nice and everything but any chance of them telling us that they've improved the gameplay so it's not just drive to arbitrary place on map, punch-punch-kick, drive back to safehouse, repeat ad infinitum?

But that's Grand Theft Auto (just with guns as Pabs said).

Have EA improved the gameplay on FIFA this year or is it just pass, pass, tackle, shoot and all that bollocks?

Simon
August 22nd, 2012, 12:03 PM
Weak analogy - GTA has developed way beyond simply being a driving game now, in fact it was never JUST about that despite the name.

Beefy
August 22nd, 2012, 12:09 PM
No it wasn't and I never said it was. It's primarily a game where you drive from A to B. Commit crime at B (usually shoot people) and then either drive to C or back to A. That's Grand Theft Auto. It has been for every game in the series for 15 years. There may be missions in each game which are slightly different but that is its core.

Red Dead Redemption and Bully were the same as well. You're asking it to not be a Rockstar game.

Hlebsfall
August 22nd, 2012, 12:15 PM
I can't see GTA5 improving that much on its predecessor. The PS3 and XBox are getting on a bit now, and there is only so much you can do with them. I'd like them ideally to have a more compact map, with more detail, and variety in missions. GTA4 was a bit style over substance for me, they created this huge fuck off map, but outside of the bank mission, most of them boiled down to 'drive to X and kill this person.'

Pablo Diablo
August 22nd, 2012, 12:18 PM
I expect the map for this to be much bigger.

Alf
August 22nd, 2012, 12:25 PM
I can't see GTA5 improving that much on its predecessor. The PS3 and XBox are getting on a bit now, and there is only so much you can do with them. I'd like them ideally to have a more compact map, with more detail, and variety in missions. GTA4 was a bit style over substance for me, they created this huge fuck off map, but outside of the bank mission, most of them boiled down to 'drive to X and kill this person.'

Totally agree. And the last island was just rubbish and uninteresting. Which was the case for San Andreas too I think.

They need to bring back the fun stuff. I think 4 missed the rampage things and other fun bits. I know it's a bit more realistic but I prefered having guns be acquireable from secret places on the street like power-ups rather than from shady shops.

I love it in Vice City when you finally figured out all the good places for guns and then got stocked up before a mission.

Has anyone played Vice City recently? How does it compare now?

I loved the shit out of that game.

Psycho666Soldier
August 22nd, 2012, 12:26 PM
I'm fine with a large map as long as we do get a bit more substance in mission variation(like Hlebsfall said) OUTSIDE of missions where you do mundane tasks(I like those missions, they just act more as a tutorial mission than anything).

Totally agree. And the last island was just rubbish and uninteresting. Which was the case for San Andreas too I think.

They need to bring back the fun stuff. I think 4 missed the rampage things and other fun bits. I know it's a bit more realistic but I prefered having guns be acquireable from secret places on the street like power-ups rather than from shady shops.

I love it in Vice City when you finally figured out all the good places for guns and then got stocked up before a mission.

Has anyone played Vice City recently? How does it compare now?

I loved the shit out of that game.

I was going through it a little under a year ago. It still holds up fantastically, and for me is still the best GTA. San Andreas comes very close, though. It holds a very special place in my heart.

Really, though, VC is still a blast to play, even after all these years. Kind of sucks having a limited amount of buildings to enter, but I got over that pretty shortly.

Alf
August 22nd, 2012, 12:28 PM
Man, Death Row mission from Vice City took me and my uni mates hours and hours to finally do.

We ended up doing mad elaborate shit with a helicopter.

Those were good days being a student. Sitting in the halls playing Vice City forever.

Beefy
August 22nd, 2012, 12:32 PM
GTA 3 and VC are both coming out as PSN downloads soon. I don't think either hold up well on big modern TVs though. I played the first island of GTA 3 over Christmas at my parents place on the 14" portable TV in my old bedroom and it holds up better on that sort of screen.

Simon
August 22nd, 2012, 12:36 PM
Beefy the other lads have made my point better than me - I just want a bit of variety to the missions.

Beefy
August 22nd, 2012, 1:33 PM
There was plenty of variety to the missions in GTA IV as there were in all the other games. But ultimately there's only so far they can go. Across GTA, GTA 2, GTA London, GTA 3, Vice City, San Andreas, Liberty City Stories, Vice City Stories, GTA IV, The Lost and The Damned, The Ballad of Gay Tony & Chinatown Wars they must be pushing 1,000 missions now. There's only so many mission ideas out there - particularly when the whole series has always been based on 'A to B shoot people then go to C'.

EDIT - don't get me wrong I get what you're saying and do think they'll learn something from the criticism of GTA IV in terms of the fun of the game but ultimately I suspect that anyone going into this not expecting just more of the same will be disappointed.

Psycho666Soldier
August 22nd, 2012, 1:36 PM
To be fair, I heard a lot of good things about The Ballad of Gay Tony, and I never got around to playing it.

I enjoyed GTA IV, btw, but I can kind of see where people are coming from, but you pretty much made the point there...there's only so much you can do.

As long as we get new locales, new stories, and just general additions of features to the games withOUT taking anything out, we'll be good. I'm stoked for GTA V.

Chris
August 22nd, 2012, 1:36 PM
I tend to go off the story pretty quickly and just muck about. In GTA III, I'd steal the army truck and just tear around the roads with a massive police force after me. I really tried to get through the story of GTA IV, but the online deathmatch was just too tempting - harassing people at the airport with a helicopter, etc.

Vice City was a great game. I still wish I had given San Andreas a bit more of a go. I think the map was just starting to really open up, and then for some reason I put it aside. I'd happily buy them again through PSN or in an HD Classics set.

The_Mike
August 22nd, 2012, 6:30 PM
What I think made the real difference in GTA IV's missions was the insistence on realism that killed the prospect for real variety. San Andreas had all sorts of wild stuff like stealing a jet fighter or riding a motorcycle into the back of a cargo plane, whereas IV seemed to just be "get your car from this place to that place and kill all these people". San Andreas still involved getting from A to be with a shower of bullets in between, sure, but A and B were often fun and the journey between them could be a blast. IV felt like a chore when you were driving in traffic with terribly heavy handling and bugger all room to move. I hope going back to the California area will allow us lots of room to stretch our legs in V.

I know Beefy just said there was plenty of variety in the missions in GTAIV, but I didn't see it. What was I missing? There really didn't feel like a lot of changes in the scenario. I still remember SA's casino heist missions fondly, that whole arc was pretty epic, and it was just one strand of missions from one guy. IV's entire narrative seems like one grey blur now.

Newf
August 22nd, 2012, 6:50 PM
I always enjoyed the mission in SA where you go to the motel and it turns out to be a police ambush, especially that big stretch of being chased with police actually latching onto the car. Brilliant stuff.

The Rick
August 22nd, 2012, 7:29 PM
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17wr476sqsvrdpng/xlarge.png

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17wr45fnlxurwjpg/xlarge.jpg

I agree on IV, but not on San Andreas.

On the last island you got your personal airport. The casinos then became available. There was also the mission that yielded the jet pack.

San Andreas had the fun side games and missions that seem to be lacking in IV. I enjoyed the arcade machines in San Andreas too.

Dubya
August 22nd, 2012, 7:29 PM
Holy shit that tennis court looks amazing.

Mark Hammer
August 23rd, 2012, 12:29 AM
Really should have been using the guns there Si. I think that's your problem.

This. Use guns next time you play GTA Simon.

Psycho666Soldier
August 23rd, 2012, 3:37 AM
I feel San Andreas is the most underrated entry in the series. A lot of people seemed to either not care or be scared of the "large map."

It was cruising time to listento sweet tunes on pretty much ALL the stations!

Newf
August 23rd, 2012, 3:50 AM
I really enjoyed SA. My only letdown, honestly, was some tunes I got my hopes up for, thinking they'd be on it and weren't. Otherwise it was a pretty damn solid game. That one major glitch kinda sucked, too.

Psycho666Soldier
August 23rd, 2012, 3:53 AM
Same here on the music. The moment I heard it was set in the 90's, being a big Nirvana fan when I was younger, I immediately thought, "Well, duh, Nirvana has to be on there." I thought it was blasphemy that they had all these bands that some were a tad more obscure(Faith No More, L7), yet no Nirvana. They had Alice in Chains, though, which placated me enough.

I loved the Hip-Hop and Funk stations, too. Actually, I think the K-Dust(Country Station) was the only one I didn't completely like...and even that one had good tracks on it!

Beefy
August 23rd, 2012, 4:01 AM
The country station was great.

Alllllll mar exes livin Texas!

Simon
August 23rd, 2012, 4:41 AM
This. Use guns next time you play GTA Simon.

The shooting is shit as well though. Auto-aim means there is no skill to it. If they overhauled both the fighting and the shooting then it would be much more fun.