PDA

View Full Version : Arrested Development: The Future

Tempest
October 2nd, 2011, 10:10 PM
Just found this lovely nugget of awesome

Jason Bateman and IMDB

"Arrested Development" is back. Really. The cult classic television comedy about the travails of the rich, zany Bluth family, cancelled in 2006 after three seasons, will produce nine to ten new episodes and a movie, it was announced at The New Yorker Festival on Sunday. "It's true. We will do 10 episodes and the movie. Probably shoot them all together next summer for a release in early '13. Very excited!" leading actor Jason Bateman tweeted. Smart and irreverent, the show also starred David Cross, Michael Cera, Portia De Rossi, Tony Hale, Alia Shawkat and Jessica Walter. It was executive produced by Ron Howard, who also provided narration. Since its cancellation, the show has earned a fervent fan base, with constant speculation as to when -- or whether -- the show would be adapted into a movie. The cast, led by Bateman and Will Arnett, has frequently promised that a movie would be coming,

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni16158664/

Couldn't find the old threads, so figured i'd just make a new one to discuss the old, the new and the amazing news that it's not just a film.

Pablo Diablo
October 2nd, 2011, 10:42 PM
I just blue myself.

virms
October 2nd, 2011, 10:44 PM
This is so fucking great.

Atty
October 2nd, 2011, 11:51 PM
I'm afraid I prematurely shot my wad on what was supposed to be a dry run, if you will, and I'm afraid I have something of a mess on my hands.

Seanny One Ball
October 2nd, 2011, 11:58 PM
I was promised a movie, not ten extra episodes and a movie.

I literally just shot it all down my front.

Somebody tell JoJo.

Kdestiny
October 2nd, 2011, 11:58 PM
Holy hell!

That's awesome! I just made a mess as well.

Seanny One Ball
October 2nd, 2011, 11:59 PM
3/5 posts in this thread mention ejaculation.

Just Sayin

Judas Iscariot
October 3rd, 2011, 12:01 AM
I EJACULATED, TOO!

Best bit of news in years.

Atty
October 3rd, 2011, 12:04 AM
Even if it means me taking a chubby, I will suck it up.

Judas Iscariot
October 3rd, 2011, 12:15 AM
Yeah, I bet you'll suck it up...

Seanny One Ball
October 3rd, 2011, 12:16 AM
I honestly can't imagine a better piece of news.

I just spent the middle part of this year watching every episode of Arrested Development.

Jeffrey Tambor just isn't on tv enough.

Seanny One Ball
October 3rd, 2011, 12:16 AM
Yeah, I bet you'll suck it up...

It's a direct quote from Tobias Funke.

Judas Iscariot
October 3rd, 2011, 12:20 AM
Doesn't mean I can't make a homoerotic joke of it, Seanny, FUCK.

HIS FONT IS PINK BTW

Seanny One Ball
October 3rd, 2011, 12:32 AM
He already said he'd suck it up.

You just said the same in the affirmative.

/Michael Bluth

Pipkin
October 3rd, 2011, 12:46 AM
This is the greatest news I've ever heard.

Bert
October 3rd, 2011, 12:59 AM
Okay, who'd like a banger in the mouth?

grimshaw
October 3rd, 2011, 1:21 AM
I'm pretty worried this might not be very good.

Just sayin'. Series 3 was kind of bad and I really fear that they'll fall further down the rabbit-hole of self-reference. Still, I'm cautiously optimistic.

Beer-Belly
October 3rd, 2011, 2:29 AM
I'm pretty worried this might not be very good.

Just sayin'. Series 3 was kind of bad

You're a mouth breather. Just sayin'.

grimshaw
October 3rd, 2011, 3:35 AM
You really consider Arrested Season 3 to be nearly as good as the first two?

Beer-Belly
October 3rd, 2011, 3:39 AM
Yes.

Beefy
October 3rd, 2011, 5:01 AM
The problems in Season three boiled down to them not knowing how many episodes they were going to get given and always thinking they were a week or two away from the end. If they've got ten episodes and a movie then that gives them something to plan around.

I'd read in Empire last month that the movie was likely to finally happen. I'm blown away by the promise of a new series though.

grimshaw
October 3rd, 2011, 7:07 AM
Season three relied too hard on old jokes. "Her" is the prime example. They decided that simply referencing an old joke was sufficient, and it was a bit of a crutch.

The other main problem was that it got a bit too ridiculous (even for them - again compare to S1+2). And yes, it was a bit rushed but I think the problems ran deeper.

Tempest
October 3rd, 2011, 8:19 AM
Season 3 wasn't as amazing as the first two, but it was still way above the standards of just about everything else. I loved it.

Seanny One Ball
October 3rd, 2011, 9:30 AM
I didn't see too much wrong with Series 3, it's still funnier than 90% of sitcoms.

virms
October 3rd, 2011, 4:12 PM
Beefy already put it down to gospel. Hard to write a tv show when you are constrictedfrom the get go.

Ochoa
October 3rd, 2011, 4:46 PM
Yes! Finally!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VCdJyOAQYM&ob=av2n

This is fantastic new..... ohh sorry.

Atty
October 3rd, 2011, 5:54 PM
It's a direct quote from Tobias Funke.

It's funnier when people don't get it. I was a few bangers in the mouth from certain random posters PMing me about homophobia and me having a good laugh about it.

You really consider Arrested Season 3 to be nearly as good as the first two?

Yes. It was just fine. The only thing holding it back was how utterly amazing the first two seasons were. That and fox being run by fucking idiots.

I didn't see too much wrong with Series 3, it's still funnier than 100% of sitcoms.

Fixed.

:D

grimshaw
October 3rd, 2011, 9:48 PM
I'm only saying Season 3 was a letdown compared to the first two - not that it was especially bad. If the new season continues down that path, then that will be disappointing.

I'm cautiously optimistic that with all this hype and with so much time to be ready, it will be excellent.

The Comet Kid
October 4th, 2011, 5:01 PM
Okay, Lindsay, are you forgetting that I was a professional twice over - an analyst and a therapist. The world's first analrapist.

Seanny One Ball
October 4th, 2011, 6:49 PM
You still post here?!

I remember you!

The Comet Kid
October 5th, 2011, 3:43 PM
posting here and there

:shifty:

STEVE HOLT!!!

Atty
October 5th, 2011, 5:00 PM
Marry me

virms
October 6th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Marry me

NO TOUCHING!

Seanny One Ball
October 6th, 2011, 7:42 PM
posting here and there

:shifty:

STEVE HOLT!!!

If Steve Holt had had a father he surely would have known never to go to a cabin in the woods with a stranger.

Delta Devil
October 6th, 2011, 7:48 PM
NO TOUCHING!

Onyong. :)

wardy
October 6th, 2011, 7:49 PM
Oh that's right, your wife is dead!

Seanny One Ball
October 6th, 2011, 8:00 PM
Onyong. :)

Anyang...

LOCONUT
November 19th, 2011, 8:04 PM
So they made it official today. Netflix bought the rights to a new season and new episodes will air in 2013. Dont have news yet on who is and isnt returning, or how many episodes are being produced. Excellent news anyway!

Fro
November 19th, 2011, 8:44 PM
The word is that each episode will focus on a particular character. This is likely to facilitate the fact that the whole cast won't appear in every episode due to scheduling conflicts.

The Netflix thing is interesting.

Bert
July 26th, 2012, 10:47 PM
http://i.imgur.com/sh9mB.jpg

John Wilkes Telephone Boo
July 27th, 2012, 12:46 AM
http://i.imgur.com/sh9mB.jpg

Woohoo!

virms
December 12th, 2012, 7:26 PM
http://tvline.com/2012/12/12/arrested-development-additional-episodes-netflix/

There's always more money in the banana stand. :hyper:

VHS
December 12th, 2012, 8:50 PM
By the wings of an angel! :hyper:

Bert
April 4th, 2013, 9:08 PM
Sunday, May 26th. All 15 episodes released at once on Netflix.

virms
April 6th, 2013, 9:17 PM
Fuck yes. Might start watching from the beginning to get ready for this.

Seanny One Ball
April 7th, 2013, 11:44 AM
That will be worth £5.99 and then some!

virms
April 7th, 2013, 12:09 PM
Damn they overcharge you guys there unless that is for sale treaming and dvds. Mine is 7.99 a month.

Seanny One Ball
April 7th, 2013, 1:32 PM
This is just for streaming.

In fact I got an e-mail today asking me to sign back up...I will now because of this fabulous news.

virms
April 11th, 2013, 9:39 PM
Been rewatching and noticed a golden nugget I never noticed before.

One of the gay protesters on the boat in the pilot (has the freedom sign) is in every protest that is shown.

Suck great little details.

VHS
May 13th, 2013, 11:28 AM
Mother of God!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LkXAq5a4Zo

http://i.imgur.com/xSzDDP0.gif

:lol:

Beer-Belly
May 13th, 2013, 12:03 PM
I lost my shit at "I have lupus."

virms
May 13th, 2013, 7:57 PM
Fucking hell I can't wait

Pipkin
May 27th, 2013, 1:00 AM
Has anybody else checked out the new episodes? I just finished them up a couple of hours ago. I wasn't really feeling it early on, but I felt it settled into its groove after a couple of episodes.

I have a few complaints (some of the guest stars and new characters didn't really add much, a few of the surprises were telegraphed more than I would have liked, and in general I think the level of laugh out loud moments is lower than the first three seasons), but overall I feel like season four was a success. Expectations were obviously through the roof, and even though it didn't meet mine, it was still quality.

Bert
May 27th, 2013, 1:03 AM
Just finished it.

Hello darkness, my old friend. :sadwave:

Pipkin
May 27th, 2013, 1:09 AM
I wonder how long we'll have to wait for the movie...

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m69d7qgoUm1qzgxlzo1_500.jpg

VHS
May 27th, 2013, 1:37 AM
I promised my older sis I'd watch this with her tomorrow night... NOT tonight. I'm dying.

The Rogerer
May 27th, 2013, 3:50 AM
Two episodes in, enjoying it a lot but I wanted to say this is ten times more confusing than Inception. The amount of timeline jumping they do is ridiculous.

wardy
May 27th, 2013, 4:48 AM
I'm also 2 episodes in. Not really digging it to be honest, something doesn't seem quite right - maybe its just the fact that theyre all a bit older, Ron Howard's 'older' voice annoyed me a bit for some reason. But I'm confident that it'll get a lot better and when it's time to rewatch the first ones I'll notice all the subtle foreshadowing and clever in-jokes. They're already starting to overlap and I noticed Tobias and Lindsay in the background of one scene which I'm sure they'll come back to.

Agree with Rog that all the time jumping is a bit confusing.

Pete Cash
May 27th, 2013, 7:16 AM
It gets a lot better Tobias and gob are the best episodes

Beer-Belly
May 27th, 2013, 7:25 AM
Yeah. I figured that would be the case once they announced the single character based format. It really changes the pacing of the episodes and it takes a little a time to get used to, but it was necessary to accommodate the actors schedules.

Atty
May 27th, 2013, 10:48 AM
GOB is amazing.

wardy
May 27th, 2013, 11:36 AM
ANOTHER DRAWBACK: Lucille is getting to that 'corpse with makeup' stage. I'd have banged her in the older ones.

VHS
May 27th, 2013, 11:01 PM
Three episodes in. Boring and not funny.

Pity.

Pete Cash
May 27th, 2013, 11:42 PM
Its an 8 hour single episode it gets better. It starts to come together by about episode 4

Lagom
May 28th, 2013, 5:46 AM
so close, SO CLOSE, to a George-Michael chicken.. :(

wardy
May 28th, 2013, 8:41 AM
I'm at GOB's first episode. Absolutely loving it now!

Atty
May 28th, 2013, 9:35 AM
Its an 8 hour single episode it gets better. It starts to come together by about episode 4

Agreed. I suspect it will get better on second viewing. Particularly the first few episodes.

Pete Cash
May 28th, 2013, 10:16 AM
I'm at GOB's first episode. Absolutely loving it now!

The sound of silence running joke is classic. Gets me each time.

wardy
May 28th, 2013, 8:06 PM
Watched Lucille's episode earlier. I take back what I said about her.

Pete Cash
May 28th, 2013, 9:42 PM
I like how they hammer home the fact all the bluths are shits. Michael is seen as sympathetic by some but he's clearly a poor father. GM lies constantly to try and trick his cousin into sleeping with him. Its great.

Tobias though what a jerk. David Cross as an actor puts all his sincerity into a character (which is funny because Tobias is such a bad actor) that he dicks with recovering drug addicts so sincerely its almost wonderfully evil. What a hilarious character.

wardy
May 28th, 2013, 9:56 PM
Aye he is a complete cock. I love how he's so self unaware but is always the first to point out it out when one of the other characters has embarrassed themselves. For example, the "douche chill" thing and when he makes a sly remark at GOB's wedding when GOB says that Jesus did illusions

Pete Cash
May 28th, 2013, 10:47 PM
He is also the bluth with the best skillset but he chooses to not provide for his family but instead chase a hopeless dream. I just love how sincere David Cross plays it.

Beer-Belly
June 1st, 2013, 11:35 AM
He is also the bluth with the best skillset but he chooses to not provide for his family but instead chase a hopeless dream. I just love how sincere David Cross plays it.
The show generally makes it clear that he's a pretty shitty doctor, though.

Rali
June 1st, 2013, 11:42 AM
Just finished watching the season the second time around, and it's fantastic.

The only arc I didn't enjoy is George Sr's, but Tambor is fantastic, so it's easy to get through.

Hopefully another season isn't completely out of the question..

wardy
June 1st, 2013, 12:40 PM
Absolutely gutted at how Maeby turned out. I thought we were on to something lads!

VHS
June 1st, 2013, 2:23 PM
Portia De Rossi looks so unhealthy it actually distracted me every time she was on. She looks horrible.

Morrison
June 1st, 2013, 8:17 PM
Just finished watching the season the second time around, and it's fantastic.

The only arc I didn't enjoy is George Sr's, but Tambor is fantastic, so it's easy to get through.

Hopefully another season isn't completely out of the question..
they've said it's highly unlikely for another season. a movie would probably be easier to get everybody around for.

Portia De Rossi looks so unhealthy it actually distracted me every time she was on. She looks horrible.

she has a long history of battling anorexia and bulimia.

Atty
June 1st, 2013, 8:34 PM
She looked great.

Pete Cash
June 1st, 2013, 8:38 PM
The show generally makes it clear that he's a pretty shitty doctor, though.

He was chief resident psychiatrist at mass general ? While he did lose his license for trying to give CPR to a person who didn't need it but he is supposed to be a reasonably good psychiatrist to illustrate his selfishness chasing the actor dream

hammered home by Lucille 2 offering him a 100k job which he turns down because he's a selfish maniac.

Pete Cash
June 1st, 2013, 8:42 PM
She looked great.

She looks fine once they get the terrible wig off

also I wouldn't give up on a season 5. Netflix wants to commission one already and the cast do seem to genuinely love the show. Obviously it will come down to scheduling but the show was left pretty open.

Here is a good joke. George Michael hates his name because of the connection with singer George Michael because of the lewd behaviour in a toilet thing. He chooses the name George maharis who was/is (not sure if he's still alive) an actor who was arrested for lewd behaviour in a bathroom.

Rali
June 2nd, 2013, 3:43 AM
Absolutely gutted at how Maeby turned out. I thought we were on to something lads!

You still would.

virms
June 2nd, 2013, 8:24 PM
I still would

Atty
June 2nd, 2013, 8:28 PM
Of course you would. She has a reverse fake ID.

virms
June 2nd, 2013, 8:31 PM
I haven't watched this yet. Waiting for a day off of fucking work.

Version 6
June 13th, 2013, 9:04 PM
I've got two episodes left. Pete Cash was bang on the money with this getting much better around episode 4.

I enjoyed episode one, but thought episodes two and three fell really flat. I'm looking forward to watching those early episodes again in the context of the some of the reveals in later episodes.

What a great show. It's even able to trick you into thinking some of its episodes are shit, until you later realise that they are great.

I can't even fathom how skilled a writer you must be to be able to put together a multi-layered intersecting story like this.

Sancty
June 23rd, 2013, 6:39 AM

The missus and I were trying to figure out if the role had been recast in the first episode.

virms
July 14th, 2013, 2:25 PM
Well looks like the show was a success and it looks like a definite 2nd (5th) season could happen. :hyper:

http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-76651369/

Miotch
July 14th, 2013, 2:56 PM
Is it definite or could it happen? Pick one.

Version 6
July 14th, 2013, 6:46 PM
I don't think virmicious gets to decide mate.

virms
July 28th, 2013, 5:49 PM
Yeah, miotch ffs

http://mobile.theverge.com/2013/7/27/4564024/arrested-development-is-definitely-coming-back-says-series-creator

It is a definitely maybe now.

Version 6
August 7th, 2014, 11:20 PM
More like a definitely definitely, MIRITE?

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/will-arnett-more-arrested-development-is-coming-to-netflix-20140808-101upo.html

Judas Iscariot
August 8th, 2014, 12:24 AM
:hyper: :panic: :hyper:

Mik
August 8th, 2014, 4:53 AM
The missus and I were trying to figure out if the role had been recast in the first episode.

Took ok me longer than one episode.

Pablo Diablo
March 18th, 2019, 6:22 PM
So. I finished this.

Arrested Development was a great 3 season show.

son_of_foley
March 19th, 2019, 4:34 AM
Hahaha for me it lost it with the charlize theron storyline. It's actually tainted the show for me.

LOCONUT
March 19th, 2019, 4:42 AM
I thought the first 4 episodes of the new releases(dont know the episode numbers but the second half of season 5) were SOLID. Genuinely funny stuff. Rest was mostly trash.

Version 6
March 19th, 2019, 5:59 PM
Unpopular opinion here folks, but Season 4 is actually a bit of a masterpiece.

On first viewing when it was released years ago -it jfelt dark, a little bloated and mostly not in keeping with the spirit of the original.

But I re-watched it recently ahead of the Season 5 drop and fell in love with it. Something about all the pieces coming together made me appreciate the narrative structure for the first time. Going into it knowing it was going to be nothing like the first 3 seasons gives you a different perspective, and you appreciate it for the incredibly clever, funny season that it is.

I've also watched the Remix of season 4, which pretty much undoes all of the best things about Season 4, so if you haven't seen Season 4 and are on the fence about which one to watch, avoid the remix.

Season 5 on the other hand (first half - haven't gotten around the the second half) is just so much less than the sum of its parts. So disappointing.

Melly
March 19th, 2019, 6:29 PM
I've always wanted to see this series. I should.

PurePlayer
August 18th, 2020, 12:15 PM
I am on season 3 now! I was readying how season 4 remix is basically season 4 but in the chronological order. Is that the main difference? does everything play out the same way?

Sancty
August 18th, 2020, 1:41 PM
I am on season 3 now! I was readying how season 4 remix is basically season 4 but in the chronological order. Is that the main difference? does everything play out the same way?

Yes

Version 6
August 20th, 2020, 3:13 PM

The remix undoes a lot of the cleverness of the original.

Watch the OG.