PDA

View Full Version : Drive

Alf
September 26th, 2011, 5:02 AM
I'm surprised there isn't a thread about this. I went to see it on Saturday and it was cracking.

DO NOT WATCH THE TRAILER. It pretty much spoils the entire film.

Basically, Ryan Gosling plays a guy who is a film stunt driver. On the side he also acts as a wheelman for bank jobs etc. His unique MO though is that he will only give you 5 minutes of driving time. He meets this girl, gets chummy... and things start to go a bit wrong...

I don't want to say much more than that.

It's a proper slow burn, it isn't about action at all, it is about tone. But when the action comes, it is brutal. Absolutely brutal.

Gosling is a sexy bastard in it. And my misses now wants to rape him. Don't take your misses to see it.

The soundtrack is awesome too. Go and see it.

Mik
September 26th, 2011, 5:12 PM
I am going to see it on Monday, cant wait.

Hobbit
September 26th, 2011, 6:34 PM
Watched this earlier on, was very good. I don't really think the violence is THAT harsh as several people/papers etc have been saying and the overall action is magnificent.

Gosling really is class in it and yeah the choons are mega. Going to play Vice City again now.

RAWfan88
September 26th, 2011, 6:39 PM
Arthouse meets brutal action movie. Best film of the year IMO.

I bought the soundtrack the other day too. Love that.

Hobbit
September 26th, 2011, 7:41 PM
Right so got the soundtrack and blasting through it now.

It is fucking amazing, this is going in the car and I'm going to instantly become a better driver :cool:

Canuck
September 27th, 2011, 4:15 AM
I'm not that surprised to see these reviews, but I'm on the other side of the fence. Maybe I was expecting something different, and didn't quite see the good in it (happened with the village), but it was just too slow paced and dragged out for my enjoyment. Wasn't a fan on first watch.

Mik
September 27th, 2011, 2:13 PM
There was no good in The Village.

Canuck
September 27th, 2011, 4:20 PM
Probably why I couldn't see any good in it then.

Alf
September 27th, 2011, 7:09 PM
I really enjoyed the village. Fuck you guys.

KorruptJustice
September 28th, 2011, 12:00 AM
Loved this. Not what I was expecting at all given the trailer, but it sucked me in completely. Gosling was awesome, but the rest of the cast was great as well. Definitely one that I'll pick up on DVD once it's out.

Pablo Diablo
September 28th, 2011, 12:44 AM
It's a slow burner when I was expecting more of an action. I still enjoyed it, but I might have preferred it more if that was the type of movie I was expecting to go see.

Tim
October 3rd, 2011, 2:30 AM
Really didn't know much about this movie other then it starring Ryan Gosling and Ron Perlman being in it. Watched it last night, easily my favorite movie of the year. I loved the whole vibe from start to finish, and the soundtrack was really good as well. I'm tempted to watch it again.

Alf
October 3rd, 2011, 5:18 AM
A REAL HUMAN BEING....AND A REAL HEROOOO

Tune.

Ringo
October 3rd, 2011, 5:36 AM
Enjoyed it.

Saw the trailer before Tinker Tailor last week and despite GOSLING CRANSTON PERLMAN etc. it didn't exactly excite me. Looked like a passable action-car film. Kermode was raving about it on Friday though so I thought it might be worth the cinema trip after all.

Gosling plays a fucking weirdo, let's not forget. The bloke is completely mental and if he wasn't good looking he would be a regular stalker psychopath freak. I would also say he is pretty stupid. In saying all that, he's still cool.

The film isn't perfect but the violence is brilliant (the hooded rudeboys in front of me were in a state of absolute distress), soundtrack is good and I liked the overall style and feel. Ron Perlman is typically Ron Perlman, Brookes pulls off the horrible horrible man character surprisingly well and Cranston is just an excellent actor who impresses me more with every appearance. Breaking Bad has obviously done him the world of good because he's got about 8 big movies coming up. Plus, Christina Hendricks.

Ringo
October 10th, 2011, 4:23 PM
I've seen this twice now and pretty much love it to be honest. May have something to do with having the soundtrack on repeat lately. It's boss.

Ochoa
October 10th, 2011, 4:28 PM
A woman is suing the distribution company behind Drive and the theater she saw it at because she thought the movie was going to be like Fast and the Furious.

If the new Ryan Gosling movie Drive wasn't Fast and Furious enough for you, you're not alone--and you may be able to join in a class action lawsuit about it. At least that's the hope of Sarah Deming, who filed suit over the film in Michigan.

Deming's suit alleges the trailer was misleading, containing very little driving or chase action, and seeking to collect some sort of damages, reports WDIV TV. Deming also alleges the film promotes violence against Jewish people.

The suit against the movie's distributor, FilmDistrict, and the Emagine theater where she saw it was filed on September 28th in the Sixth District of Michigan by attorney Martin H. Leaf. Deming hasn't commented on her lawsuit as yet, but seeks a refund on the price of her movie ticket and a halt to the production of "misleading movie trailers" for future films.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1067150_woman-sues-drive-movie-theater-over-misleading-trailer

The Rogerer
March 14th, 2015, 7:40 PM
I just saw this. It wasn't what I was expecting. Ultimately I was not convinced by Ryan Gosling

The Rogerer
March 15th, 2015, 2:19 PM
Lots of reviews comment that there's a lack of action. The film actually ended up with a lot more action than I was expecting. I would like to see it again to enjoy it without it clashing against my expectations. I expected something more in the direction of Taxi Driver, more just an exploration of this isolated character - when instead it became something that was very narrative led. I got a sense of a new Tarantino - sometimes a mishmash of different feelings, and tendencies and moods throughout the film in a way that didn't entirely join up.

The glue in all this, Ryan Gosling, didn't hold for me. I didn't see a man with things bubbling under the surface, I saw a big long faced idiot grinning through lots of scenes like a embarrassed cousin. They tried a bit hard to make him cool and mysterious and I don't think he quite made it.

Would definitely watch again, however.

LOCONUT
March 15th, 2015, 2:27 PM
This movie was garbage. All style and no substance. Best part of the film was the font of the title and credits.

Gary J
March 15th, 2015, 4:02 PM
It's been a while since I've seen this but I remember thinking it was shit. The other thing I remember is my girlfriend not believing Christina Hendricks was in the film until we saw the side view of her and then she knew. That side view was better then the font and credits.

Mik
March 15th, 2015, 6:53 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed it.