PDA

View Full Version : Wrestling Retribution Project

Pages : [1] 2

JRSlim21
August 24th, 2011, 9:50 PM
Will it succeed?

That's the almighty question. What's it all about?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/790983338/wrestling-revolution

Wrestling fans are bored.

The same tired production. The same tired storylines. The same tired characters.

As someone once said, "Enough is enough and it's time for a change."

This, our Wrestling Revolution, is that change. The first ever 100% crowd-sourced wrestling promotion created by the fans for the fans. By combining classic wrestling storytelling with the shortened television series structure innovated by networks like HBO, FX, BBC and AMC, our Wrestling Revolution product will be both familiar and entirely new.

Each 12 episode season will tell a complete set of stories, introducing characters that will evolve and grow with each passing season. Take the season long build of shows like THE WIRE or DEXTER and apply it to the basic wrestling model and you have an idea of where we're going.

Every character has a mission, a journey and a reason for stepping into the ring. Some will rise, some will fall -- and you will be there to see it all. With the benefit of a defined start and finish the viewer is guaranteed a complete wrestling storytelling experience.

Each season will culminate in our season finale or supershow, where storylines conclude and start anew, new legends will be forged and lasting memories will be made. Fresh new characters, meaningful themes and wrestling-driven storylines with a beginning, middle and end. What a novel concept!

Produced by Jeff Katz, the Wrestling Revolution will be based in Los Angeles, California and streamed in high quality worldwide via our featured distribution deal with Justin.TV.

They've started to announce their roster one by one each day Monday thru Friday this week. The roster looks like it's going to be very diverse. So far announced are Scott Colton, Len Olsen and Ken Doane, also known as Colt Cabana, Dr. Wagner, Jr. and KENNY! Dykstra respectively. This seems to be getting a decent amount of internet buzz so I thought why not discuss?

http://www.wrestlingrevolutionproject.com/

Mills
August 25th, 2011, 12:49 AM
Looks pretty interesting, ill watch kenny and colt for sure. Always wanted to see dr. Luther too but never got around to it.

OD50
August 25th, 2011, 4:47 AM
Watched a trailer for this quite a while ago and it looks pretty exciting.

Cewsh
August 25th, 2011, 8:41 AM
I like the idea, I just wonder how plausible it is.

JRSlim21
August 25th, 2011, 9:30 AM
Between this & the 80s wrestling drama pilot picked up by NBC, it's going to be interesting to see how "sports entertainment" is going to be portrayed in the mainstream in the next year or 2. I just like Katz's mindset. He's not afraid of failure and seems to have a decent amount of backing financially and fan wise. For those who want to hear him talk more in depth, he did an interview on Kick Out Wrestling's podcast about a month or so back discussing the whole matter and his relation to wrestling.

I also think the buzz will continue depending on who he gets for the show. I'm not expecting the Rock or anything, but it seems the diversity of the show will be intriguing.

JRSlim21
August 26th, 2011, 2:16 PM
To close out the week, just added on:

Alex Reynolds of NYWC and Kenny Omega

JRSlim21
August 30th, 2011, 7:42 AM
CASTING WRP - DAY 6

Hassan Assad, best known to wrestling fans as MVP.

http://jeffkatz.typepad.com/.a/6a0120a721c2d7970b014e8b0bb0a5970d-800wi

From his long run on national television in America to his recent success in Japan, Hassan Assad continues to show that - with due respect to F. Scott Fitzgerald - there are indeed second acts in American lives. Remaking himself at a level that would make the Count of Monte Cristo dizzy, Assad has emerged from a childhood of crime and incarceration to right his life and find his true path and purpose inside the squared circle. Working his way from independents to developmental to national television, Assad - now performing as "Montel Vontavious Porter" - burst onto the scene as a knowing commentary on Terrell Owens and modern professional athletes. With an in-ring style heavily influenced by Japanese legends like Masahiro Chono, Assad has proven to be a true student of the game. It was this hardcore passion for the wrestling business that took him to Japan, where he now continues to star for New Japan Pro Wrestling as their first ever Intercontinental Champion. From making music to appearing in the cult classic film MACGRUBER, he continues to showcase his increasingly diverse set of talents. It's those same talents that will make Hassan Assad a major player in WRP.

http://www.geekweek.com/2011/08/casting-a-wrestling-revolution-day-6.html

OD50
August 30th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Hassan Assad? I had no idea.

Cool anyway.

Deewun
August 30th, 2011, 11:23 AM
I like this a lot. Will be watching.

JRSlim21
August 30th, 2011, 10:41 PM
CASTING WRP - DAY 7

Sam Johnston, best known to wrestling fans as Sami Callihan.

http://jeffkatz.typepad.com/.a/6a0120a721c2d7970b015434f2a19d970c-800wi

Dubbed "The New Horror," 24 year old Sam Johnston - wrestling as "Sami Callihan" - has terrorized the independent scene across the United States over the last several years. An Ohio native, Johnston has emerged as a fast-rising prospect working for promotions including ROH, DG:USA, CZW and EVOLVE. Merging his personal love of horror culture with his innovative in-ring skills, Johnston has demonstrated a range of potential that is, in a word, scary. Now joining the cast of WRESTLING REVOLUTION PROJECT, Sam Johnston stands poised to frighten and entertain for some time to come.

http://www.geekweek.com/2011/08/sam-johnston-best-known-as-sami-callihan-dubbed-the-new-horror-sam-johnston-wrestling-as-sami-callihan-has-t.html

Cewsh
August 31st, 2011, 12:22 AM
Fucking amazing news there. :yes:

Mills
August 31st, 2011, 3:13 AM
This is getting very interesting. MVP is a huge get for them, plus interested to see his new character.

JRSlim21
August 31st, 2011, 8:30 AM
I'm just curious cause I've never got to see Dr. Wagner. And I'm intrigued as I've only seen limited work from Callihan.

PS, I only want to watch this if Kenny Omega brutalizes little girls.

JRSlim21
September 1st, 2011, 12:11 AM
Maybe he could convince Hassan to come back to the business too.

CASTING WRP - DAY 8

Dara Daivari, best known to wrestling fans as Shawn Daivari

Often typecast in the stereotypical heel wrestling role of "terrorist" or "sheik," Shawn Daivari is, in actuality, a walking example of the American dream. A native of Minneapolis, Minnesota, he was born to Iranian immigrant parents who came to America in an effort to give their family a chance at a better life. As a boy, Daivari was quick to fall in love with American professional wrestling, growing captivated by stars like Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart. Inspired by his television heroes, Daivari soon jumped into the business himself, wrestling his first match at only age 15. He'd quickly become a natural in the ring, soon working his way across the independents and ultimately launching a successful career that would see him wrestling on national television for several years across multiple promotions. Often handcuffed by a seemingly ongoing case of creative jingoism, Daivari has long yearned for the opportunity to show a more representative side of his character. That opportunity comes at last in WRP.

You can follow Daivari online at his website.

JRSlim21
September 1st, 2011, 12:11 AM
Maybe he could convince Hassan to come back to the business too.

CASTING WRP - DAY 8

Dara Daivari, best known to wrestling fans as Shawn Daivari

http://jeffkatz.typepad.com/.a/6a0120a721c2d7970b0153912e7fd7970b-800wi

Often typecast in the stereotypical heel wrestling role of "terrorist" or "sheik," Shawn Daivari is, in actuality, a walking example of the American dream. A native of Minneapolis, Minnesota, he was born to Iranian immigrant parents who came to America in an effort to give their family a chance at a better life. As a boy, Daivari was quick to fall in love with American professional wrestling, growing captivated by stars like Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart. Inspired by his television heroes, Daivari soon jumped into the business himself, wrestling his first match at only age 15. He'd quickly become a natural in the ring, soon working his way across the independents and ultimately launching a successful career that would see him wrestling on national television for several years across multiple promotions. Often handcuffed by a seemingly ongoing case of creative jingoism, Daivari has long yearned for the opportunity to show a more representative side of his character. That opportunity comes at last in WRP.

You can follow Daivari online at his website.

MikeHunt
September 1st, 2011, 12:15 AM
i don't really get this concept, will the show have wrestling or will it be more of a docu about wrestlers?

or a mix?

Cewsh
September 1st, 2011, 12:34 AM
Its a wrestling show, shot like an episodic tv show.

MikeHunt
September 1st, 2011, 12:41 AM
sounds very different, but i still don't get how it will work. is it going to be like the wrestler, where matches are split with stuff that has happened backstage ect?

im just can't see how it will look?

JRSlim21
September 1st, 2011, 9:50 PM
IMO, I think it's going to be where the XFL was going with in their product.

And the newest addition to the roster:

CASTING WRP - DAY 9

Emil Sitoci

Spoiler for Pic Size

http://jeffkatz.typepad.com/.a/6a0120a721c2d7970b014e8b224447970d-800wi

The son of a Turkish national champion boxer and a Dutch national gymnastics champion (and Olympic competitor) mother, Emil Sitoci has athletics in his blood. Trained as a child in both judo and gymnastics, Sitoci quickly combined his athletic skills with a love of professional wrestling and set off on a career inside the squared circle. Debuting for Netherlands-based FCW at only 17 years old, Sitoci quickly found himself rising through the ranks of the European wrestling scene. He would soon come to America, where he would study under the tutelage of Chris Hero who would go on to dub Sitoci, "The Tremendous One." He would then return to Europe, capturing championship gold for the WXW promotion. While battling opponents in the ring, Sitoci continued to educate himself earning a Masters degree in Film & Television Sciences. Competing in locales ranging from Africa to France to Germany on down, Sitoci continues to display the in-ring intellectual curiousity that has made him one of the most diverse wrestling talents in the world. He now stands poised to return to America and make his biggest mark yet as a member of the WRP cast.

JRSlim21
September 2nd, 2011, 8:37 PM
Freakin Deacon...

CASTING WRP - DAY 10

Drew Hankinson best known to wrestling fans as Luke Gallows.

http://jeffkatz.typepad.com/.a/6a0120a721c2d7970b01539136709d970b-800wi

Standing 6 feet 7 inches and weighing in at nearly 300 lbs, Drew Hankinson was seemingly born for the world of professional wrestling. A Maryland native, Hankinson started his career in the independents of West Virginia and Pennsylvania, but soon found himself signed and working his way through the developmental ranks at Deep South Wrestling. He would quickly go on to make his national television debut in 2006 and would continue to be a television regular until 2010. Heading out on his own, Hankinson soon found himself in Japan working for Antonio Inoki's IGF, while also taking on several tours of Africa. It was in Africa, in fact, where Hankinson recently made headlines after he and his crew were stranded following the embassy bombings in Nigeria. Now, thankfully, safely home at last, Hankinson stands ready to conquer the world of WRP.

Tempest
September 2nd, 2011, 8:41 PM
So, WWE in fewer episodes with less talent?

...Charmed?

JRSlim21
September 5th, 2011, 12:35 PM
2 words: fuck. yes.

CASTING WRP - DAY 11 (http://www.geekweek.com/2011/09/casting-a-wrestling-revolution-day-11.html)

Fergal Devitt, best known to wrestling fans as Prince Devitt.

http://jeffkatz.typepad.com/.a/6a0120a721c2d7970b01539150e75a970b-800wi

Starting his career at only 18 years old, Ireland's Fergal Devitt has quickly gained a reputation as one of the finest performers in all the wrestling world. After cutting his teeth in the United Kingdom, Devitt would come to America where he was swiftly discovered by scouts from the U.S. branch of New Japan Pro Wrestling. Impressed by his obvious potential, New Japan invited Devitt to train full time at their Santa Monica, CA based dojo. His work would continue to gain esteem, resulting in another invitation to further continue his training at the primary New Japan dojo in Tokyo. Finally, in April of 2006, Devitt made his official New Japan debut, becoming a full time member of the roster. To say that Devitt is delivering on his potential for New Japan would be a gross understatement, as the 2010 "Best of the Super Junior" winner already boasts a reign as Junior Heavyweight Champion as well as five reigns as Junior Tag Team Champion on his rapidly growing resume. Now widely considered one of the best in-ring performers in the business, Devitt will return to America once again -- this time as a member of WRP.

OD50
September 5th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Awesome.

/Let's see..

Kenny Omega
MVP
Prince Devitt
Festus
Shawn Daivari
Colt Cabana

Liking it so far.

Never seen this 'New Horror' guy. Is he any good?

Cewsh
September 5th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Oh shit!

That's his first gig outside of Japan since he went there to begin. That's a big deal.

OD50
September 5th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Yes. :yes:

JRSlim21
September 5th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Oh shit!

That's his first gig outside of Japan since he went there to begin. That's a big deal.

Shit Just Got Real HD - YouTube

Cewsh
September 5th, 2011, 1:00 PM
This whole cast has been spot on every step of the way.

Matthew
September 5th, 2011, 1:05 PM
fuck yea, really excited to see kenny

OD50
September 5th, 2011, 1:16 PM
Dykstra?

Matthew
September 5th, 2011, 1:19 PM
hellz yea

Cewsh
September 5th, 2011, 1:38 PM
Awesome.

/Let's see..

Kenny Omega
MVP
Prince Devitt
Festus
Shawn Daivari
Colt Cabana

Liking it so far.

Never seen this 'New Horror' guy. Is he any good?

Sami Callihan is one of my favorite indy workers. His stuff in CZW has been shitty, being CZW, but he's shown flashes of incredible potential.

Ringo
September 5th, 2011, 3:09 PM
2011 MVP... :\ Daivari... ok... Omega... Cabana... meh.

GALLOWS AND DEVITT WHAT JESUS CHRIST :hyper: :panic: :hyper: :panic:

OD50
September 5th, 2011, 3:17 PM
Join The Revolution.

Rip
September 5th, 2011, 3:38 PM
Isn't Justin.tv just a crapper Youtube though, meaning this won't work well online?

Cewsh
September 5th, 2011, 3:57 PM
Justin.tv is a streaming service. Not much like YouTube at all.

Ringo
September 5th, 2011, 3:58 PM
Why won't it work well online Rip?

Rip
September 5th, 2011, 4:19 PM
Everytime I've looked at Justin.tv it's been jerky as hell, I suppose that might have something to do with the source but :dunno: I'm not that hot on computers tbf.

Cewsh
September 5th, 2011, 4:32 PM
Streams, as a general rule, aren't super reliable. But the price is right.

Rip
September 5th, 2011, 4:34 PM
True, but if they're poor it'll turn off the audience, which would be shame because so far this looks full of potential

Defrost
September 5th, 2011, 4:34 PM
Well they got my interest

mth
September 5th, 2011, 7:53 PM
Roster's fairly intriguing to me so far. Now sign Marty Wright goddammit. :D

Brian M.
September 6th, 2011, 2:03 AM
I'll give it a chance, but I don't really like how they are having everyone use their real names. It just doesn't sound like WRESTLING, if that makes any sense. I think part of the appeal of normal wrestling promotions is that it's a never ending story.

But...they did follow me back as soon as I started following them on Twitter so they can't be that bad.

Kev
September 6th, 2011, 2:52 AM
I wasn't under the impression that they would be using their real names, but that they were only highlighting the names to showcase the performers behind the characters they have previously portrayed.

Hopefully you're wrong. Even so, it won't be a terrible thing to call people by their names. UFC seems to do well enough with it.

OD50
September 6th, 2011, 3:30 AM
I think (hope) they will have proper ring names, they're probably just presented for the project with their real names.

I'm hoping that this won't resemble The Contender where matches were edited and had music/sound effects added to them.

Deewun
September 6th, 2011, 8:24 AM
I just asked on Twitter. Let's see if I get a response.

JRSlim21
September 6th, 2011, 10:50 PM
Interesting....

CASTING WRP - DAY 12

Ben Muth

http://jeffkatz.typepad.com/.a/6a0120a721c2d7970b0154352d97bc970c-800wi

A former starting left tackle for Stanford - where he majored in political science - Ben Muth brings a host of unique talents to the WRP table. Appearing in 26 games for the Cardinal, including two seasons under current San Francisco 49'ers head coach Jim Harbaugh, Muth would ultimately earn first team All Pac-10 honors in 2008. He would go on to sign with the NFL's San Diego Chargers as an undrafted rookie before an injury ended his nascent professional football career. Seeking a change of scenery and a new start, Muth traveled to Calgary, Alberta, Canada where he began his professional wrestling training under the expert tutelage of the highly respected Lance Storm. Now setting out to begin his wrestling journey in full, Ben Muth has arrived - a man of both brawn and brains - in WRP.

Cewsh
September 7th, 2011, 12:24 AM
Oh shit. Now that's an interesting signing. That's the first guy they got that WWE might really have their eye on.

Brian M.
September 7th, 2011, 1:01 AM
I wasn't under the impression that they would be using their real names, but that they were only highlighting the names to showcase the performers behind the characters they have previously portrayed.

Hopefully you're wrong. Even so, it won't be a terrible thing to call people by their names. UFC seems to do well enough with it.

Everything I've read on their Twitter suggests that the real names will be used. And I know we're past the days of kayfabe, but I really don't like my wrestling product presented as a TV show, with a "cast". Are there going to be credits at the beginning and end of the show?

JRSlim21
September 7th, 2011, 1:56 PM
I know they were looking at a couple of Storm's students. Was he 1 of the ones used on Smackdown the other day?

Btw, an oldie but goodie (done via my phone):

Jonathan Figueroa, best known to wrestling fans as Amazing Red

Born in Puerto Rico and currently living in Brooklyn, New York, Jonathan Figueroa has garnered widespread acclaim over the past decade as the high-flying "Amazing Red." After starting his career on his home island, Figueroa soon became a sensation on the American indpendent scene. He was quickly signed to the initial TNA roster in 2002 where he would go on to become a three time X Division Champion. He would also go on to compete for promotions including ROH and All Japan Pro Wrestling. Following a three year retirement from the ring - where he would begin training a new generation of performers at the House of Glory school - Figueroa has re-emerged better than ever before. Now writing a new chapter in his own wrestling story, Jonathan Figueroa stands ready to make his voice heard loud and clear in WRP.*

OD50
September 8th, 2011, 5:45 AM
So, is there any footage on this Ben Muth character or is he a total complete wrestling noob? He must have had a couple of matches previous, or..?

How the hell do you pronounce 'Muth' by the way? Like a filthy dog, 'mut' or maybe like 'mute', or even 'moth'?

Cewsh
September 8th, 2011, 9:16 AM
Muh-th, I believe.

JRSlim21
September 8th, 2011, 10:15 AM
Like Word of "Mu-th."

JRSlim21
September 8th, 2011, 9:36 PM
Johnny Devine recommended this guy to Katz.

Michael Oberegger, best known to wrestling fans as "Psycho" Mike Rollins

Trained by Johnny Devine, 25 year old Michael Oberegger has quickly gained a cult following across the Canadian wrestling scene as the entertaining (and certifiable) "Psycho" Mike Rollins. An eclectic performer, Oberegger has spent the last four years cultivating a truly unique in-ring style featuring a combination of humor and athletic violence. Further seasoned in training under both Scott D'Amore and Harley Race, Oberegger's work has taken him across the border and into camps for American promotions including ROH and DG:USA. Michael Oberegger now stands poised to break out further as the newest member of the WRP cast.

Also, something to I wonder about. Is there a "booker" or is Katz writing this script for everyone to follow?

Deewun
September 9th, 2011, 5:35 PM
Boom boom, HUGE news. Not a new cast member, but a producer/agent! Check it:

http://jeffkatz.typepad.com/.a/6a0120a721c2d7970b014e8b658ac8970d-800wi

A native of Calgary........Alberta, Canada, Lance Storm has run the gamut from being a highly respected in-ring performer to being one of the leading trainers and commentators in the wrestling world today. Following his training under the Hart brothers - where he would learn alongside longtime friend and future tag team partner Chris Jericho - Storm would embark upon an acclaimed career that would lead him through Smoky Mountain and ECW and ultimately make him a national television mainstay during and after the Monday Night War era. Entering semi-retirement in 2004, he would go on to become a prolific wrestling trainer, culminating in the opening of the Storm Wrestling Academy in 2005. The school has earned high praise from wrestling luminaries including Jim Ross, Paul Heyman, William Regal and Steve Austin, even going on to be featured in the Canadian reality television series WORLD OF HURT. He's also developed a strong following with his unique commentary on the business found monthly in the UK's FIGHTING SPIRIT magazine and on his blog. Honest, straightforward and the very epitome of experience, Lance Storm now brings his diverse skill set to the production team of the WRESTLING REVOLUTION PROJECT.

And if that isn't enough, in about ... 25 minutes, there'll be a live Q&A. I'll be there for it, and you guys can check it out by going to Geekweek if you like.

Vice
September 9th, 2011, 5:52 PM
FUCK. YES.

Cewsh
September 9th, 2011, 6:36 PM
HOLY FUCK. :panic:

That just gave this product so much more credibility in my eyes.

Deewun
September 9th, 2011, 6:43 PM
Still doing questions. Ask them here and I'll ask them to him, and I'll put up all the answers here afterwards.

Fun note, he is a huge puro fan.

JRSlim21
September 9th, 2011, 6:48 PM
I'm missing the Q&A session as I'm on my way home. I don't even know what to ask. Post any highlights.

Deewun
September 9th, 2011, 7:26 PM
Ton of stuff to go over, here we go:

CAST NOTES
- 2 more weeks of announcements
- 20 Wrestlers on cast
- Stables are no planned, but they are not a forgone conclusion
- Lots of cameos
- If a second season, the cast is fluid, so a few will stay, and a few will go
- He is really big on wanting to break new talent
- New characters, new rules, it is literally a cast, WRP characters are their own universe and will have no crossover
- Ben Muth contacted WRP about joining, and he fit a character already written, so he was cast
- No female division, because he didn't want to half-ass it, but there will be women, though no traditional wrestling women; "No Litas, Trishs, Marias"
- He will be revealing non-wrestling cast members
- Characters were written and wrestlers were cast to play those characters
- CONFIRMED: A masked character, who will talk, and who is a "kind of commentary/satire" of the masked wrestler trope
- Ken Doane will be playing the character he was born to play, a Cocky Douchebag
- MVP will be playing 100% against type
- No Festus character/gimmick
- Gimmicks in general: Flavor for everything, lots of different stuff from different genres
- Ted McGinley is signed to play the same character DeVitt is playing, in case there are problems in the future with DeVitt
- 0% Chance of Matt Hardy
- No Authority Figures: "I'm sick of fucking authority figures"
- He very very badly wanted a Japanese character, but "the logistics have been a nightmare" so there will probably not be one

THE SHOW ITSELF
- Lance Storm's duties: Classic wrestling producer/agent role, as well as picking up some television producer stuff as well
- One hour episodes; The season finale will be a 2+ hour "PPV" style show
- There will be at least one champion by the end of the season; "Titles are important!"
- The show will be a recognizably "wrestling" genre show, with tropes and recognizable aspects from all the way back to WCCW to now, but not bullshit like NXT
- No comment on tag teams or multiple belts
- Booked like a wrestling show, but written like a television show
- There are back-up stories written in case of injury or other problems
- Not everything will be in-ring, BIG "new" idea for the Backstage stuff
- He alludes to non-in-arena filming for after the 3 days of arena filming
- Work style: Hybrid, but no ECW shit
- NOTE: He LOVES Puro, so match quality is very high up on what he wants
- No Jumbotron, no pyros, a more intimated feeling, though not total house show
- Existing music as well as new music is being written, with confirmations of Bryan Tyler doing a lot of the originals and Xzibit doing him at least one song as a favor, maybe more
- Rating: Adult themed and toned, so there will be drugs, sex, cursing, but all in moderation and as "necessary for the story"; no "fuckity fuck fuck fucks"
- There will be more wrestling per hour than WWE or TNA
- Editting of the show will be a hybrid of straight matches and editted for specific story spots
- Organic crowd reactions, for the most part
- He emphasizes that the crowd is part of the cast, in his eyes
- Would not confirm/deny gimmick matches
- PROMISED lots of lariats
- Projected Airdate is First Quarter 2012
- Headshots/Chairshots: "I don't see a point"

DISTRIBUTION
- Image Entertainment distributor
- DVD seasons, Netflix, Justin.tv, as many ways as possible that isn't a network gig
- DVD season will have lots and lots of extras; "Big believer in outtakes and gag reels"

MISCELLANEOUS
- Entire Season (13 episodes) is funded on 1/6th the budget of a standard Raw
- Lots of merchandising, with toys, DVDs, apparel, and a decent chance of a video game

- - - - - -

I was already super stoked, but actually talking with the guy, and having him answer my questions (I asked a LOT of stuff, and he answered everything) just gets me even more excited.

Cewsh
September 9th, 2011, 7:39 PM
Oh man, that all sounds amazing.

Vice
September 9th, 2011, 7:48 PM
I'm very pumped for this.

- 0% Chance of Matt Hardy
:hyper:

Deewun
September 9th, 2011, 7:51 PM
Me too, fellas. I was sold on the original concept, and the more that gets confirmed, the happier a camper I become.

Brian M.
September 9th, 2011, 9:04 PM
I'm sold on this now, it sounds amazing. The guy is clearly a wrestling fanatic, so that comforts me. I was worried this was going to be some really, really weird mish mash of a classic TV drama and a wrestling show. It sounds like it will be more like a wrestling show with the best aspects of TV dramas added in to make it stand out. THUMBS UP.

Deewun
September 9th, 2011, 9:13 PM
He actually worked in WCW as his first "Hollywood" job when he was 17-19. That's Pre-Russo WCW, btw.

JRSlim21
September 9th, 2011, 9:27 PM
He's saying all of the right things.

I'm curious how Jefferson Darcy fits into things lol

OD50
September 10th, 2011, 3:33 AM
Man, this should (hopefully) be great.

Lance Storm. :hyper:

JRSlim21
September 10th, 2011, 2:42 PM
A dated interview via KickoutWrestling.com with Jeff Katz:

http://kickoutradio.podbean.com/2011/06/21/kick-out-radio-episode-60/

And a recent interview from yesterday:

http://breakingkayfabe.podbean.com/2011/09/09/interview-jeff-katz-wrestling-revolution-project/

Hero!
September 10th, 2011, 3:11 PM
This sounds amazing. Consider me in.

Deewun
September 12th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Another gaijin joins the cast, and this guy's got a pedigree it seems.

http://jeffkatz.typepad.com/.a/6a0120a721c2d7970b01543559f3df970c-800wi

Chad Allegra, best known to wrestling fans as Karl Anderson

Currently one half of the IWGP and GHC Tag Team Champions, Chad Allegra (aka "Karl Anderson") has made a name for himself as one of the most prominent American performers working in Japan today. Born in Asheville, North Carolina, he would ultimately move to Cincinnati where he would begin training in earnest under the highly respected Les Thatcher and later under BoneKrushers instructor Roger Ruffen. He would spend his early years battling stars such as Jerry Lawler, Abyss and Jimmy Valiant across the midwest and soon catch the eye of New Japan Pro Wrestling, who invited him to train at their Santa Monica based dojo. He would officially debut for NJPW in 2008 and soon find himself teaming with Giant Bernard as "Bad Intentions." The team recently became the longest reigning IWGP Tag Team Champions in history, surpassing the previous record held by Japanese legends Masahiro Chono and Hiroyoshi Tenzan. The duo also recently captured NOAH's GHC Tag Team Championship, giving them a lock on two of the most prestigious titles in Japan. Now a seasoned and respected international competitor, the "Machine Gun" returns to America this October as a member of the WRP cast.

Cewsh
September 12th, 2011, 12:10 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

First truly lame signing.

I know Ringo and DDT are going to come in here and defend him but i've never seen anything in the guy over the years and years he's been working with better talent. He's a decent sidekick at best.

Deewun
September 12th, 2011, 12:11 PM
Why so bad, Cewsh?

Cewsh
September 12th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Why so bad, Cewsh?

I edited in a bit more of an explanation, but he's just a personality void. His work doesn't have any life to it really, he's just sort of what you'd expect by looking at him. He plods through matches, makes the tag to his more interesting partner and calls it a night.

I'm not saying he couldn't have worth as a sidekick, or a bland tag team partner to a more charismatic star. But as far as a first run signing goes, he's the bottom of the list thus far.

Deewun
September 12th, 2011, 12:15 PM
I hope that him in WRP will allow him to then show personality and do something different. With the unique, WRP-specific characters, this could be just what he needs.

Cewsh
September 12th, 2011, 12:17 PM
I appreciate your optimism, but he's been around for like 10 years featured prominently in Pro Wrestling Guerrilla and New Japan. If personality hasn't shown up yet, I doubt it will.

Deewun
September 12th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Heh, fair enough.

DDT
September 12th, 2011, 12:27 PM
I edited in a bit more of an explanation, but he's just a personality void.

You wank to Devitt and call Karl Anderson a personality void?:wtf:

Cewsh
September 12th, 2011, 12:28 PM
You wank to Devitt and call Karl Anderson a personality void?:wtf:

I don't wank to Devitt, Frosty does.

But even so, Devitt is at least fun to watch. Anderson considers his machine gun thing a full on personality and then wrestles like a Power Plant guy.

DDT
September 12th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Fair enough, I guess; I always thought he was an awesome bully who hid behind bigger and better stars than himself; you called him a sidekick, I think he's the ULTIMATE sidekick.

Cewsh
September 12th, 2011, 12:33 PM
I can live with that, but seeing as this promotion currently has zero tag teams, i'm not sure he's suited for it. But hey, they know what they're casting for better than I do. If chickenshit sidekick if something they're looking for they could do worse.

Ringo
September 12th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Anderson is bloody great right now. Thought he was terrific in the G1, and he's a smart worker. He gave this pretty cool heartfelt promo after his match with Nakamura where he talked about gaining respect from the japanese fans. Then again I think New Japan's roster is just so fantastic right now with the exception of one or two miscreants. I'm keen to see what he can do in an environment like this.

DDT
September 12th, 2011, 1:03 PM
Yano was great in the G-1. FUCKING YANO!!!! I learned he's actually a highly decorated Greco-Roman wrestler; never would have guessed.

Ringo
September 12th, 2011, 1:12 PM
Yeah, it was absolutely bizarre. The Tanahashi match at Korakuen was mad. It was like Cena/Punk in Chicago... only, YANO WAS PUNK! :eek:

I really enjoyed Inoue in the G1 too. He really brought it.

JRSlim21
September 12th, 2011, 6:04 PM
At least Katz was honest about his intentions:

KatzMoney Jeff Katz
by TheWRProject
I am thrilled to welcome @machinegunKA to the cast of WRP. Huge talent, plus we are contractually obligated to sign at least one Bengals fan

For the record, his team is Detroit

Cewsh
September 12th, 2011, 6:13 PM
:lol:

Defrost
September 12th, 2011, 6:21 PM
I would like Karl Anderson a lot more if he dropped the shit he stole from Orton. Same reason I never can get into Sugiura either

DDT
September 12th, 2011, 6:26 PM
He does an anklelock and an Olympic Slam because he was almost an Olympian in judo, so he's a carbon-copy of Kurt Angle?

Defrost
September 12th, 2011, 6:27 PM
He does an anklelock and an Olympic Slam because he was almost an Olympian in judo, so he's a carbon-copy of Kurt Angle?

He does all the same suplexes too

DDT
September 12th, 2011, 6:39 PM
Must have missed that rolling German series he never does.

Cewsh
September 12th, 2011, 6:42 PM
That's one example DDT, amigo. It is pretty odd. We're all on Jack Swagger for his Anklelock.

Vice
September 12th, 2011, 6:47 PM
Ken Shamrock's ankle lock was the best.

DDT
September 12th, 2011, 6:52 PM
That's one example DDT, amigo. It is pretty odd. We're all on Jack Swagger for his Anklelock.

That's slightly different though; Swagger also dresses in the singlet and his entire gimmick, at least at one time, was his amateur credentials making him better than anyone and an American hero. I don't think it was an attempt to re-create Angle as much as seeing what worked with Angle and trying it again with Swagger, but giving him the anklelock seemed deliberate and silly.

Sugiura's whole thing was that he barely missed out on the Olympics, and is kind of bitter about it, so takes it out on everyone else. Using two of the same moves so as to highlight this fact does not make him a copycat, especially since they are nonidentical in virtually any other way; they don't even throw suplexes the same way.

Cewsh
September 12th, 2011, 6:53 PM
Koji Kanemoto's anklelock is the bestest.

http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu132/CewshReviews/NJPW%20Super%20J%20Tag%20Tournament%202010/vlcsnap-2010-08-05-01h08m05s108.png?t=1280993569

He just stomps your fucking head in while he does it.

Cewsh
September 12th, 2011, 6:54 PM
That's slightly different though; Swagger also dresses in the singlet and his entire gimmick, at least at one time, was his amateur credentials making him better than anyone and an American hero. I don't think it was an attempt to re-create Angle as much as seeing what worked with Angle and trying it again with Swagger, but giving him the anklelock seemed deliberate and silly.

Sugiura's whole thing was that he barely missed out on the Olympics, and is kind of bitter about it, so takes it out on everyone else. Using two of the same moves so as to highlight this fact does not make him a copycat, especially since they are nonidentical in virtually any other way; they don't even throw suplexes the same way.

But he is copying the moves associated with another Olympic wrestler of note.

Its not even a bad thing neccesarily, but he does do it knowingly.

Defrost
September 12th, 2011, 6:54 PM
Koji Kanemoto's is the bestest.

Fixed.

Hell he is the only guy in New Japan that managed to make the fans care about Davey Richards

Cewsh
September 12th, 2011, 6:55 PM
Those were some fucking kick wars. Whew.

Vice
September 12th, 2011, 6:57 PM
Koji Kanemoto's anklelock is the bestest.

http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu132/CewshReviews/NJPW%20Super%20J%20Tag%20Tournament%202010/vlcsnap-2010-08-05-01h08m05s108.png?t=1280993569

He just stomps your fucking head in while he does it.

Ok, I might admit defeat. That seems pretty awesome.

Though I'd have to see more of it in action. Good lord it looked like the ankle was going to snap in twain every single time Shammy got ahold of it, which made me love it.

DDT
September 12th, 2011, 6:59 PM
But he is copying the moves associated with another Olympic wrestler of note.

Its not even a bad thing neccesarily, but he does do it knowingly.

Yeah, but that's kind of the point; Defrost was making it seem like Sugiura was supposed to be this carbon-copy that was designed to remind you/make you forget about Kurt Angle.

...the Puro Pals just took over a thread that was distinctly not puro.

http://www.themusicninja.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Duck-Sauce-Charlie-Sheen-Spinstyles-Bi-Winning-Edit.jpg

Cewsh
September 12th, 2011, 7:00 PM
When Kanemoto really hates you, he'll do this:

Cloverleaf Ankle Lock - YouTube

OOOOOWWWW

Cewsh
September 12th, 2011, 7:01 PM
...the Puro Pals just took over a thread that was distinctly not puro.

:cool:

DDT
September 12th, 2011, 7:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2v9tDQziFU

Ahhh, video evidence of what Marufuji is good for; getting his ass kicked. ;)

Fun fact: Koji Kanemoto was the one who brought the anklelock into pro wrestling, not Ken Shamrock.

Vice
September 12th, 2011, 7:09 PM

Cloverleaf Ankle Lock - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0bJMshzRok)

OOOOOWWWW

Sweet holy motherfuck.

JRSlim21
September 12th, 2011, 9:15 PM

Cloverleaf Ankle Lock - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0bJMshzRok)

OOOOOWWWW

:spit: The smiley is for the spit take. That's not me laughing either; thats me trembling in fear

Kev
September 12th, 2011, 11:11 PM
I can't wait for this, look forward to watching it all with you, and pretending we could book it better :beer:

Deewun
September 13th, 2011, 1:14 PM
Newest Cast Member:

http://jeffkatz.typepad.com/.a/6a0120a721c2d7970b0154356171db970c-800wi

Joseph Ryan Meehan, best known to wrestling fans as Joey Ryan

As one of the founders of the acclaimed PWG promotion and head trainer for Mach One, Joseph Ryan Meehan has, as "Joey Ryan," become a staple of the Southern California wrestling scene. Trained by Brian Kendrick, Meehan has gained fans across the Pacific Coast with his unique combination of strong in-ring skills and hilariously smarmy charisma. His talents have also taken him to ROH and he has made several national television appearances battling the likes of Big Show and John Morrison. Now the 2010 winner of the Battle of Los Angeles tournament prepares once again to defend his home turf, this time as a member of the WRESTLING REVOLUTION PROJECT.

Cewsh
September 13th, 2011, 1:23 PM
:lol:

Awesome.

"WHO WANTS A MUSTACHE RIDE?!"

Brian M.
September 13th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Is he the guy that flipped out when Sheamus and Henry crashed through the barriers at Summerslam? If so...YES!

JRSlim21
September 13th, 2011, 11:04 PM
Deewun carrying on the roster listing. Do it up bro

Deewun
September 14th, 2011, 8:27 AM
I do what I can.

JRSlim21
September 14th, 2011, 9:46 AM
Any guesses as to who's next?

Deewun
September 14th, 2011, 9:57 AM
Well, for lack of a more PC way to say this, we have a bunch of white guys. So I suspect we'll see another member of the non-Caucasoid Club.

Also, with the teases of women who are not wrestling women joining, as well as other producers, we just might see some of them, as there are only 20 wrestlers on the roster, and we've seen 16 of them. Only 4 moire wrestlers will be joining the cast, but we have 9 more reveals. That means 5 producers/actors that aren't the wrestlers, as well as the commentary team which hasn't been revealed yet either.

Cewsh
September 14th, 2011, 10:52 AM
If they bring in Mike Hodgewood, i'm going to mark out.

OD50
September 14th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Is he the guy that flipped out when Sheamus and Henry crashed through the barriers at Summerslam? If so...YES!

Sure is.

I really digged him during his ''NWA from Hollywood'' run:
NWA Hollywood 28.01.2011 - Joey Ryan vs. Adam Pearce - YouTube

Pretty great signing for WRP.

If they bring in Mike Hodgewood, i'm going to mark out.

:yesyes:

Deewun
September 14th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Boom, new one.

http://jeffkatz.typepad.com/.a/6a0120a721c2d7970b0154356c173e970c-800wi

Ronnie Arneill, best known to wrestling fans as Shawn Spears

A native of St. Catharines, Ontario, Ronnie Arneill was a lifelong wrestling fan who decided in grade school that he was destined for a life inside the squared circle. Trained for the ring by Eric Young, Arneill would debut as "Shawn Spears" in 2002 and would quickly become a top performer on the Canadian wrestling scene. He would go on to be signed to a developmental contract in 2006, which would see him move to Kentucky and eventually Florida in pursuit of his dream. He would ultimately make his full time national television debut in 2008 under the handle "Gavin Spears." Finally heading back out on his own in 2009, Arneill would travel the world with stints in Mexico, Puerto Rico's WWC and Ring of Honor among others. Now making his home in Los Angeles, Ronnie Arneill will prove to be a major player as a member of the WRESTLING REVOLUTION PROJECT.

Ringo
September 14th, 2011, 12:36 PM
:rofl:

Cewsh
September 14th, 2011, 12:38 PM
I really was expecting that. Its really kind of nuts that he hasn't caught on anywhere for much time at all with his look.

Mills
September 14th, 2011, 12:44 PM
I remember hearing, when he was in FCW, that he and Cabana were the two most complete packages in FCW. They put him on ECW for a second, then he disappeared. I'm really hopig Monty Brown is next

Ringo
September 14th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Monty would be terrific. I think he is someone who could be perfect a project like this. Not that I have any idea how this is going to turn out.

MARTY WRIGHT TOO. Just not wrestling.

Cewsh
September 14th, 2011, 12:51 PM
I remember hearing, when he was in FCW, that he and Cabana were the two most complete packages in FCW. They put him on ECW for a second, then he disappeared. I'm really hopig Monty Brown is next

Spears was Cornette's personal project in OVW too. The biggest storyline they ever ran was centered around him.

Monty would be terrific. I think he is someone who could be perfect a project like this. Not that I have any idea how this is going to turn out.

MARTY WRIGHT TOO. Just not wrestling.

Boogeyman on commentary? BOOK IT.

mth
September 14th, 2011, 1:16 PM
I mentioned Marty Wright earlier, I'd love if they had him on in a non-wrestling role of some sort. After reading Spears was in I couldn't help but think of a buddy of his that might be an interesting addition: Sinn Bodhi aka Kizarny. He didn't really fit in as a PG face in WWE but this might be the type of thing where he'd work well.

Ringo
September 14th, 2011, 1:52 PM
Monty n' Marty co-hosts please.

Deewun
September 14th, 2011, 2:07 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see an actual celebrity instead of a wrestler as one of the commentators. They are the ones with real scripts, and I bet you we can see some established actors from Hollywood joining up, as Katz has been hinting at that kind of thing for awhile.

Ringo
September 14th, 2011, 2:21 PM
Steve Zahn.

JRSlim21
September 14th, 2011, 10:29 PM
They should get Mark Copani. Didn't he leave wrestling to pursue an acting career?

And I'm down for a Slap the Porpoise & Pounce combo

Judas Iscariot
September 14th, 2011, 11:54 PM
So wait, you have to watch this on the internets?

Cewsh
September 15th, 2011, 12:07 AM
They should get Mark Copani. Didn't he leave wrestling to pursue an acting career?

And I'm down for a Slap the Porpoise & Pounce combo

He actually left to pursue a writing career.

So wait, you have to watch this on the internets?

Yep. Justin.tv

Kev
September 15th, 2011, 12:08 AM
Or DVD I think..

Cewsh
September 15th, 2011, 12:11 AM
At the end of the season they'll release on DVD and Netflix allegedly.

Judas Iscariot
September 15th, 2011, 12:17 AM
Internet thing is roughage.

How's this being funded? Because it looks fucking cool as hell.

Justin.tv is life, innit?

Should youtube that shit and build up views like Epic Meal Time.

Deewun
September 15th, 2011, 12:17 AM
It is all coming out together. Watch it on justin.tv, buy it through iTunes, Netflix it, or order the DVD. It'll all happen at the same time in early 2012.

And it got funded through Kickstarter, where he put up the goal for $100,000, and reached it. So that's what he's building the entire thing on. And if it is a success, we can expect another season.

Judas Iscariot
September 15th, 2011, 1:39 AM
Gotta say, that's pretty sweet, especially the Kickstarter business.

Still think a youtube approach, even after everything is done, would be plenty beneficial.

Of course, everything will just wind up there anyway. If I'm them, I'm allowing it or doing it myself.

Deewun
September 15th, 2011, 12:03 PM
It is just past noon, that means new WRP Casting for the day!

http://jeffkatz.typepad.com/.a/6a0120a721c2d7970b014e8b90d8df970d-800wi

Patrick Buckridge, best known to wrestling fans as Pat Buck

A native of Queens, New York, Patrick Buckridge would parlay his athletic background in martial arts and lacrosse into a career inside the squared circle. Training initially with the Critical Mass Pro Wrestling school, Buckridge - as "Pat Buck" - would soon head to Florida to learn under the legendary Dory Funk Jr. His journeys would soon take him to Louisville, where he set out on his own to make it as a non-contracted talent in the OVW developmental territory. Learning under the tutelage of Rip Rogers and Al Snow, he would work opposite talents such as Cody Rhodes, Colt Cabana, Mark Henry and Shawn Spears, ultimately becoming one of only two non-contracted performers allowed on OVW television during the booking run of the great Paul Heyman. Following his stint in OVW, Buckridge would move to Florida to attend the FCW training facility under Steve Keirn and Norman Smiley. In 2010 he was named head trainer at the respected New York Wrestling Connection training school, where he is currently grooming a new generation of talent. Still, for Patrick Buckridge, there remains unfinished business -- a feeling of things left undone. That feeling finally comes to an end this October when Patrick Buckridge gets his long-overdue shot at the spotlight as a member of the WRP cast.

Judas Iscariot
September 15th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Ahahaha, I had a couple of beers with him a few weeks ago. Cool dude.

Deewun
September 16th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Heh, I was waiting for a curve ball like this to be thrown. I'm stoked.

http://jeffkatz.typepad.com/.a/6a0120a721c2d7970b01543577002b970c-800wi

Trisha LaFache (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1375569/)

A native of New York, Trisha LaFache has built a diverse body of work since finding her initial success with a series of appearances across NBC's LAW & ORDER franchise. From national television spots for AT&T, T-Mobile and Staples to ESPN's THE BRONX IS BURNING on down to the daytime drama GUIDING LIGHT, LaFache quickly made her mark on the New York acting scene. She has continued to find success since moving to Los Angeles, performing on a host of popular television shows including COLD CASE, CRIMINAL MINDS, GREEK, GHOST WHISPERER, THE LEAGUE and MAD MEN. She would also build an impressive list of film credits including GARDEN STATE and 2006 Sundance Film Festival Grand Jury Prize winner STEPHANIE DALEY. A veteran performer with a diverse background in film, television and theater, Trisha LaFache now brings her considerable talent to the cast of the WRESTLING REVOLUTION PROJECT.

OD50
September 16th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Never seen her before, but cool I guess.

Deewun
September 16th, 2011, 12:19 PM
I linked her IMDB page in the quote so you can check it out. She has a pretty solid pedigree (if small), is good looking, and is obviously game to be a valet/hottie on a wrestling show. And she can't be worse than the WWE Divas.

Deewun
September 16th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Some tweets from Katz about this casting.

KatzMoney Jeff Katz
@AidanBrowne I wanted to approach the valet concept from a slightly different perspective. Needed someone with real acting chops.

@AidanBrowne I also thought it was important to do something that felt different from the Divas, Knockouts, etc. with due respect to them.

JRSlim21
September 17th, 2011, 12:00 AM
It was only a matter of time before an "actor" was casted for this.

Deewun
September 19th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Newest casting. Only one more wrestler to join the roster, which means that 3 non-wrestlers will be debuted this week. Exciting stuff.

http://jeffkatz.typepad.com/.a/6a0120a721c2d7970b0154358c882c970c-800wi

Adam Pearce

The current - and four time - NWA Champion, Adam Pearce has emerged as a major player on the independent scene over the past decade. Originally from Lake Forest, Illinois, Pearce began his training in 1995 under wrestlers Sonny Rogers and Randy Ricci. Making his pro debut just weeks before graduating high school, Pearce would soon begin traveling the midwest independents before ending up at Steel Domain Training Center where he would complete further training under Ace Steel and Danny Dominion. It was at Steel Domain where Pearce would first find himself teaming with future stars CM Punk and Colt Cabana. He would continue to compete across the country until taking a sabbatical from wrestling in 2000. Relocating to Southern California, Pearce would soon return to the ring to become a force on the West Coast scene, working both in front of and behind the camera for several area promotions. He would eventually join up with ROH where, in 2008, he would become head booker until finally leaving the company in 2010. Still actively defending his NWA title across the country, Adam Pearce now brings his unique skill set to the cast of the WRESTLING REVOLUTION PROJECT.

Cewsh
September 19th, 2011, 12:11 PM
Oh fuck off, Adam Pearce.

Deewun
September 19th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Not a fan it seems, eh Cewsh?

Cewsh
September 19th, 2011, 12:22 PM
It has nothing to do with being a fan.

In NWA Hollywood he sustained a terrible injury that was going to make him have to retire for good. He made a great many dead serious tweets and blog posts about it. Then he told everyone that he was going to have One Last Ride. A short series of matches leading to a title shot, and after that, win or lose, he was retiring.

GUESS WHO IS ALL BETTER?!

I get that blurring the line between kayfabe and reality is all the rage these days and that's fine. But it was so sad and manipulative that I lost an unbelievable amount of respect for the man.

Mills
September 20th, 2011, 4:09 AM
So he's the shawn michaels of the independant scene?

Deewun
September 20th, 2011, 12:04 PM
All right, this is the 20th wrestler. So that means the rest of the reveals are of the non-wrestler variety. But more curveballs may be thrown.

http://jeffkatz.typepad.com/.a/6a0120a721c2d7970b015391bf49d1970b-800wi

Tim Moura, best known to wrestling fans as Timothy Thatcher

Standing 6'3" and 16 stone, Tim Moura started his wrestling career in 2006 after training at Sacramento's Supreme Pro Wrestling Training Academy. The son of a Portuguese immigrant father and a British immigrant mother, Moura made his first trip to the UK in 2007, spending three months working in England for All Star Wrestling and Premiere Promotions. He would return to England again for another tour in 2008. Now competing primarily throughout California and Nevada, Moura has continued to make a name for himself across the western United States. Influenced by Japan's legendary UWFI promotion as well as the famed British World of Sport, Thatcher has developed a unique style that combines mat-based British wrestling with a Japanese style focus on holds and submissions. Currently training in catch-as-catch-can wrestling at the Sacramento Grapplers Toe Hold Club, Tim Moura now brings his diverse set of in-ring skills to the cast of the WRESTLING REVOLUTION PROJECT.

Cewsh
September 20th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Interesting. Don't know anything about the guy.

Deewun
September 20th, 2011, 1:13 PM
Katz said this guy is his specifically wanting to get new talent out there and into people's minds. There are a decent amount of match of his on youtube, so I'll be checking out a few in a bit.

Hero!
September 20th, 2011, 2:23 PM
Woah, a Portuguese wrestler. Please become famous and make the world forget about aldo montoya :(

Ringo
September 20th, 2011, 2:26 PM
There is a reason he calls himself "The British Messiah". Clearly he himself wants to forget about his Portuguese blood. :cool:

Ringo
September 20th, 2011, 2:27 PM
Aldo Montoya's legacy may well be the reason why. :D

Deewun
September 21st, 2011, 12:04 PM
Interesting, another wrestler joins the cast, though previously we had learned it was a roster of 20. I wonder where it is going now. Here we go, newest roster member:

http://jeffkatz.typepad.com/.a/6a0120a721c2d7970b014e8bb9661b970d-800wi

Kevin Matthew McDonald, best known to wrestling fans as Kevin Matthews

Standing 6'5" and weighing in at 245lbs, Brooklyn native Kevin Matthew McDonald dreamed of being a professional wrestler since he was four years old. His parents fully supported his ambition, signing a waiver to allow him to begin training at only 16 years old at the Johnny Rodz school in New York and buying him his first pair of wrestling boots for his 17th birthday. Following his initial training, McDonald headed to Ocala, Florida to learn under the legendary Dory Funk, Jr. In 2005 he would make his national television debut in enhancement matches, before finally being signed to a developmental contract in 2006, where he would study under "Squire" David Taylor and Greg Gagne. After spending time in the developmental system he would ultimately return to the East Coast, where he has established himself as a truly loathsome heel. Outspoken, loud and unafraid to say what's on his mind, Kevin Matthew McDonald now brings his cocky energy to the cast of the WRESTING REVOLUTION PROJECT.

Cewsh
September 21st, 2011, 12:10 PM
Nice pick up.

I've always been incredible curious as to why WWE never scooped him and did anything with him when they did up despite the fact that he was certainly on their radar. Maybe he's awful in the ring and will just be a bodyguard.

Deewun
September 21st, 2011, 12:13 PM
True. This is what Katz said on him:

@KatzMoney
Thanks. I needed somebody who could be a believable douchebag. One look at @2CockyKM and I knew he could do it. #highpraise

@KatzMoney
Latest WRP reveal is of the douchebag persuasion. tinyurl.com/6zrmvjw

More on the music:

@KatzMoney
Pumped to report that composer Brian Tyler is writing a totally original theme for WRP. His concepts for character themes are awesome too.

Cewsh
September 21st, 2011, 12:45 PM
From what I can remember, Matthews was supposed to have an amazing look and be quite good on the mic, so maybe commentary or some such?

Deewun
September 21st, 2011, 12:51 PM
Jersey douchebag for commentary? Could be fun. Who knows, it is all very exciting.

Deewun
September 22nd, 2011, 1:29 PM
Another interesting casting of another wrestler. Consider me intrigued on where this is all going.

http://jeffkatz.typepad.com/.a/6a0120a721c2d7970b015391cbaaf0970b-800wi

Shaun Ricker

A native of Hagerstown, MD, Shaun Ricker has long sought to combine his athletic skills and theatrical background. Standing 6'1" and weighing 230lbs, Ricker was a high school standout in football, baseball, basketball and cross country, the latter sport earning him several college scolarship offers. After enrolling at West Virginia University, Ricker would eventually combine his passions inside the wrestling ring, finally moving to Cincinnati, OH following his 20th birthday to begin training at the Heartland Wrestling Association under Les Thatcher and Cody Hawk. He would continue to base himself out of the midwest until moving to Los Angeles in 2009 to pursue a dual career in both acting and wrestling. He'd find traction in both fields, booking national television commercials as well as the Animal Planet's FATAL ATTRACTIONS. He has also become a mainstay for the NWA Hollywood promotion, where he is currently managed by the legendary Percy Pringle AKA Paul Bearer. Continuing to develop an in-ring style combining his power, agility and charisma, Shaun Ricker now brings his unique skills to the cast of the WRESTLING REVOLUTION PROJECT.

Ringo
September 22nd, 2011, 1:55 PM
Oh sweet. Natural Selection were two guys in NWA Hollywood who clearly had the tools to be picked up by a major company. I THINK Brian Cage spent some time in WWE developmental, but Ricker (surprisingly) hasn't. If I remember correctly he came across as the greener of the two, but they had some good matches on those early shows with the Rocknes Monsters and his potential was evident.

Yet another intriguing addition. :yes:

El_Dandy
September 22nd, 2011, 4:34 PM
Every wrestling show needs jobbers.

Cewsh
September 22nd, 2011, 4:48 PM
You would know, El Dandy.

El_Dandy
September 22nd, 2011, 9:33 PM
Sure only if you count WCW's stupid ass.

Cewsh
September 22nd, 2011, 9:41 PM
Weren't exactly top dog in Mexico either, mate.

El_Dandy
September 22nd, 2011, 9:50 PM
Maybe not but he was a tremendous worker, and he wasn't a jobber.

Cewsh
September 22nd, 2011, 9:53 PM
Whatever gets you through the day, El Dandy.

You're no Silver King.

DDT
September 22nd, 2011, 10:15 PM
Neither of you were Dr. Wagner Jr.

JRSlim21
September 22nd, 2011, 10:33 PM
Speakin of, anyone have any good links to Dr. Wagner matches?

Cewsh
September 22nd, 2011, 10:36 PM
Theoretically, Dr. Wagner does.

El_Dandy
September 22nd, 2011, 10:39 PM
Silver King? Are you serious with that? Silver King was a lazy bum most of the time.

Cewsh
September 22nd, 2011, 11:02 PM
Who are you to doubt Silver King?

El_Dandy
September 23rd, 2011, 12:29 AM
:cool: El Dandy darling! El Dandy!

I love Silver King, about 25 percent of the time.

Cewsh
September 23rd, 2011, 12:52 AM
I love El Dandy every time I remember him.

Which is often as high as 0% of the time.

El_Dandy
September 23rd, 2011, 11:31 AM
Not my fault you'd rather watch trash like Shimmer.

Cewsh
September 23rd, 2011, 11:57 AM
See, now now that's just hurtful, El Dandy.

If you put on a dress, i'm sure they'd let you job there too.

Deewun
September 23rd, 2011, 12:01 PM
Reveal today is the second producer:

http://jeffkatz.typepad.com/.a/6a0120a721c2d7970b014e8bc308fe970d-800wi
Thomas Laughlin, best known to wrestling fans as Tommy Dreamer

A native of Yonkers, New York, Thomas Laughlin has earned international fame and industry-wide respect as the hardcore legend "Tommy Dreamer." Originally trained for the ring by Johnny Rodz, Laughlin made his debut in 1989 before getting his initial break in 1991 with the now defunct East Coast independent promotion IWCCW. It was in 1992, however, where he would make the defining move of his career, joining a nascent independent promotion called Eastern Championship Wrestling. It was in ECW where he would find his greatest acclaim as the "Innovator of Violence," becoming a key component of the renamed Extreme Championship Wrestling via classic feuds with Raven and The Sandman. He would ultimately become regarded as the "heart and soul" of ECW, becoming an integral member of the organization behind the scenes under impresario Paul Heyman. In the years following the end of ECW he has continued to influence new generations of talent, with roles both in front of and behind the camera throughout the wrestling industry. Now - in 2011 - he brings his knowledge, talent and wisdom to the production team of the WRESTLING REVOLUTION PROJECT.

I'm underwhelmed.

MichaelC
September 23rd, 2011, 12:03 PM
*tumbleweed.

Cewsh
September 23rd, 2011, 12:05 PM
Well let's be fair now. The man is very respected in wrestling circles and has definite booking and producing experience. If he stays backstage, he could actually be a great help to this or any company.

El_Dandy
September 23rd, 2011, 12:06 PM
Yeah he's probably used to the idea of cashing an actual check that a bank will accept by now.

MichaelC
September 23rd, 2011, 12:08 PM
Well let's be fair now. The man is very respected in wrestling circles and has definite booking and producing experience. If he stays backstage, he could actually be a great help to this or any company.

He's also a cure for insomnia.

And he booked the last TNA PPV I ever saw.

Cewsh
September 23rd, 2011, 12:09 PM
Yeah he's probably used to the idea of cashing an actual check that a bank will accept by now.

Much like your career, El Dandy, that joke was a disappointment even in the 90s.

He's also a cure for insomnia.

And he booked the last TNA PPV I ever saw.

As I said, he needs to be backstage.

MichaelC
September 23rd, 2011, 12:11 PM
Technically, Cewsh, don't bookers tend to be backstage? Just saying.

Cewsh
September 23rd, 2011, 12:12 PM
Certainly, but it doesn't say that'll be his job here.

JRSlim21
September 23rd, 2011, 2:04 PM
Does this mean when there's an unsanctioned fight he gets to run out & break it up?

Dreamer as a producer is fine by me. What did you negative nancys want, Pat Paterson?

El_Dandy
September 23rd, 2011, 2:17 PM
Much like your career, El Dandy, that joke was a disappointment even in the 90s.

It's cool, not everyone knows what they are talking about all of the time.

Cewsh
September 23rd, 2011, 2:38 PM
Yep. Just me.

Deewun
September 23rd, 2011, 5:01 PM
Katz will be doing a stream again to answer questions at 3 PST (in 1 hour). I unfortunately have a previous commitment this time and won't be at my computer. So if anyone else who has the time wants to, go to the linky below and ask away.

GeekWeek JustinTV Livestream (http://www.justin.tv/geekweek?utm_campaign=live_embed_click&utm_source=www.geekweek.com)

Deewun
October 12th, 2011, 8:32 AM
Production has begun. And every time I find some interesting tidbits, I'll share. Like this one, from Katz on Twitter:

I can indeed confirm that Wrestling Revolution Project will be released under a different name. But what...? Stay tuned.

Vice
October 12th, 2011, 2:40 PM
Sports Entertainment Revolution Project?

Deewun
October 12th, 2011, 5:33 PM
I don't know what to make of this one ...

Run-in by Prince at the WRP tapings. That was unexpected.

Cewsh
October 12th, 2011, 5:40 PM
I'm thinking he means Devitt, amigo.

But if its the actual Prince that would be amazing.

Deewun
October 12th, 2011, 5:46 PM
Either would be fun. I didn't think it would be Devitt because Devitt won't be Prince Devitt, but some other character. But who knows, it is all twitter-trickery.

Judas Iscariot
October 12th, 2011, 5:50 PM
A wrestler running in would be expected.

Prince running in and hitting the Purple Rain on a face?

Totally unpredictable.

JRSlim21
October 12th, 2011, 6:04 PM
Well Prince Devitt & Shawn Spears are reported to not be at tapings (visa issues). So a run in by either Prince would be awesome

Defrost
October 13th, 2011, 12:16 AM
The rumors about Devitt are interesting

Defrost
October 13th, 2011, 10:59 AM
And the Prince he mentioned was Prince. Purple Rain, When Doves Cry, Prince

Deewun
October 13th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Sweet.

Prince - When Doves Cry - YouTube

JRSlim21
October 15th, 2011, 1:55 AM
If this isn't a more odd pairing for a show...

Sent: Oct 13, 2011 1:58a

@MaulerMMA No. It was actually really Prince. Like, the Minnesota Prince, that was on the lot today. I think Daft Punk as well. Bizarre.

sent via web in reply to @MaulerMMA
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheWRProject/status/124363391971233792

Ringo
October 15th, 2011, 6:26 AM
Daft Punkahbajnkdadm WHAT.

Guys in costumes, I'm sure. BUT STILL.

Or this is all clever bullshitting to attract interest :chin:

Deewun
October 15th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Twitter picture posted:

http://s1.proxy04.twitpic.com/photos/large/422147441.jpg

Mills
October 15th, 2011, 7:05 PM
?

JRSlim21
October 15th, 2011, 7:17 PM
I recognize the guy on the left as the 1 trained by Johnny Devine. Kenny Omega on the right. Someone help me with the middle 2

Deewun
October 16th, 2011, 9:10 AM
Enormous amount of spoilers from the tapings from various non-Deewun sources, all compiled together, plus a little Deewun editing. I'm going to do two separate spoiler tags, one for SUPER spoilers which will be the whole spoiler transcript, and one for things that are just hidden, not really spoilers, which I think are safe.

- Keith David of It Lives fame is the ring announcer/possibly commentator!
- Christopher Daniels joined in as a third producer!!
- Colt is playing HEEL
- There ARE tag teams, and it is a big deal.
- A surprisingly good gay outing storyline takes place, devoid of stereotypes, written specifically in the hopes that WWE/TNA will steal it and stop making gay wrestlers a comedy gimmick.
- Kenny Omega's penis popped out. They'll of course edit it out, but that's funny.
- The style of the show is "American-ized puro" or "idealized WWE."
- Devitt and Spears were unable to make it because of Visa issues and NJPW refusing to allow Devitt to come over. They were replaced with Chris Hero and Brian Cage.

Cast's new names and face/heel (as best as I can put together):

Colt Cabana is Punchline , Heel
Joey Ryan is Chase Walker, Face w/ Trisha LaFache as ??? his valet <-- Very over
Adam Pearce is Ridgeway, Heel
"Pyscho" Mike Rollins is Murder, Heel <-- Very over
Shawn Daivari is Ferris Gotch, ???
Amazing Red is ???, a masked wrestler
Sami Callihan and Alex Reynolds are S&P: Satanic and Profitable, Heels
Shaun Ricker and Brian Cage-Taylor are John-tuarge, with enforcer Brick Shithouse
Kenny Omega is Scott "Cornerstone" Carpenter, Face <-- Very over
??? Masters is Concrete, Heel <-- Very over
Karl Anderson is Killshot, Heel
Chris Hero is Chris Hyde, ??? <-- Very over
MVP is Lord of War, Heel
Luke Gallows is Johnny 99, ???
Pat Buck is Muncie Magee, ??? <-- Very over
Kevin Matthews is ???, Heel
Emil Sitoci is ???, ??? [a German Nihilist]
Dr. Luther is ???, ??? [pseudo-Santanic priest]

Unaccounted for: Kenny Dykstra, Ben Muth, Timothy Thatcher

Brick Shithouse
Dave the Bruiser, enhancement

Full transcript under this tag, with all the guys notes, and more detailed spoilers.

This report contains Storyline spoilers and details of the events that took place during the Wrestling Revolution Project.

Tapings – Day One

I’m sorry, but I’m not going to spoil much for you guys. Combination of a) matches are shot out of sequence so I have no clue what match has relevancy to what, b) we didn’t see any backstage segments or interviews, nor will we, so we won’t know what the stories are, and c) Katz was a very cool guy and I don’t want to fuck this up for him. However, I’ll give you a list of info after I start with a MEGA BAD NEWS but follow up with SUPER GOOD NEWS.

MEGA BAD NEWS

NEW JAPAN PULLED PRINCE DEVITT FROM THE SHOW!!!

SUPER GOOD NEWS

Katz felt terrible about the scenario, offered all who were at the show that donated a refund. No one took him up on the offer because we all felt for his scenario. However, since Devitt couldn’t come, he was able to bring in two other guys.

A guy he called “Concrete”:

And some dude named “Chris Hyde.”

Here’s the meat and potatoes of the show:

- There were a bunch of fans mixed in with extras, who essentially followed the fans’ lead when it came to chants. Many of them actually got into the show.

- There were a few PWG regular attendees at the tapings.

- Willie Mack was in the crowd with us.

- We were allowed to chant for whomever we wanted, face or heel, jobber or regular talent. Katz really wanted authenticity.

- We shot in a sound stage with really cool cameras, with matches out of sequence. The lighting is such that it benefits the home viewer and it should be one of the best shot wrestling shows you’ll see.

- We were seated either in rows of chairs outside the ring or on a platform with tables and drinks. There were chandeliers above the ring.

- The ring announcing and voice over work will be done by character actor Keith David (They Live, The Cape, Spawn: The Animated Series), which is really cool.

- All the music for wrestlers and the show itself will be done by the guy that does music for Terra Nova and other network TV scores.

- As mentioned, Lance Storm and Tommy Dreamer are producers but were joined by Christopher Daniels.

- Katz told us that in this world, there is no WWE, no TNA. It’s just this underground wrestling club open to a select few that participate in illegal gambling. Think “Def Jam: Vendetta” but with more class, less hip-hop.

- There are no title belts to vie for. Just a tag team tournament for a big cash prize and a singles tournament, in Katz’s words “like G1 Climax,” for a trophy and big prize money. This way, if there is a season two, he can always start each season fresh with different talent without needing a champion to defend a championship. Also, if there is only one season, the story starts and ends here.

- We had one extra tweak his knee by jumping and slipping through a gap on the platform and one of the enhancement guys got his bell rung by a kick, but otherwise no problems or injuries.

- Today was filled with primarily squash matches with the featured talent going over various NWA Hollywood guys and other locals.

- The few featured bouts taped today were pretty good, WWE style matches.

- Any botched spots were re-shot.

Notes on the talent:

Most of the guys are doing their indy shtick but with a different name. Pearce is still an old school shit-heel but named Ridgeway, Rollins is still a psychopath but is named Murder, Shawn Daivari is still Daivari but named Ferris Gotch, etc. The different characteristics for talent are as follows:

- Colt Cabana’s character is a HEEL. A cocky, failed stand-up comedian known as Punchline. It’s different but good stuff from Colt.

- Babyface Joey Ryan has the pleasure of having Trisha LaFache as his valet. Joey is more interesting as Chase Walker than he is as Joey Ryan.

- Red wrestles in a mask.

- Kevin Matthews is a Hollywood Douchebag that texts while he wrestles.

- Emil Sitoci is a German Nihilist.

- Dr. Luther is a pseudo-Satanic priest (think Mordecai from WWE, but better performed).

- There is an evil stock market investor tag team known as “Satanic and Profitable” aka “S&P” consisting of Sami Callihan and Alex Zikos.

- There is a tag team consisting of Shaun Ricker and Brian Cage-Taylor known as the John-turage (Entourage with two guys named John) that is accompanied by their bodyguard BRICK SHITHOUSE.

- BRICK SHITHOUSE got more chants than anybody except for enhancement talent Dave the Bruiser.

That’s pretty much all from Day One. I’ll let you guys know of anything cool to look forward to after Day Two.

Tapings – Day Two

Today was full of featured or main event matches, including ones in the championship tournament. Don’t expect PWG level matches or ROH styled matches, but all of them have an old school WWE/NWA feel to them with contemporary chants and movesets.

Here are some of the non-spoilery highlights:

- Kenny Omega (known as Scott “Cornerstone” Carpenter) was the major workhorse with the two most exciting matches shot today against Concrete (Masters) and an unplanned chandelier glass explosion with Killshot (Karl Anderson).

- Hyde (Hero) also had some great matches.

- Concrete (Masters) was one of the most over guys there.

- The crowd was loud and proud in all the matches, which really amped up the action.

- MVP dressed and wrestled like Masahiro Chono, but was known as “The Lord of War.” He also uses a great looking STF variation as a finisher.

- We taped a giant battle royal.

There is one storyline spoiler that I’ve been given permission to reveal: Chase Walker (Joey Ryan), the only wrestler with a valet… is gay. He is outed by two heels and will give a promo about it at tomorrow’s tapings. Yeah, on the surface level, it sounds cheap and exploitive. However, the differences are as follows:

1. Walker is the same, never-say-die babyface. He just happens to be gay.

2. He’s not going to wrestle like Goldust or Rico or Billy/Chuck or Adrian Street or wear garish outfits/prance around like a comedy wrestler.

3. Katz’s words, “I want people to know and I want WWE to steal it because I don’t they’ll ever do it right.” Katz just wanted to answer the question “What if Randy Orton/Steve Austin/John Cena were outed as gay?” His view? They’d say, “Yep, I am, so what of it? I can still kick your ass!” So far, none of it feels forced. It actually works.

Bottom line, we’re getting colorful characters, decent matches, and storylines/characters that aren’t total tired archetypes (i.e. Ryan’s gay character, Daivari being a non-Sheik, non-terrorist, just a guy from Detroit Middle Eastern-American). I’m looking forward to tomorrow to see how it all wraps up.

Tapings – Day Three

- I should have been more specific, but Keith David is going to do the ring announcing/voice over but it will be taped later. So he’ll have multiple takes so he won’t be able to screw it up.

- Random celebrity walk-ins for the crowd today included Clarke Duke (Hot Tub Time Machine) and the boy from Spy Kids (all grown up).

- We had a giant multi-man Survivor Series style elimination tag match featuring the majority of the roster.

- Notable bouts before the taping of the finale included Chris Hyde (Hero) vs. Lord of War (MVP), Hyde vs. Killshot (Karl Anderson), and Cornerstone (Omega) vs. Johnny 99 (Gallows).

- The most over guys on the roster were Concrete, Hyde, Walker (Ryan), Cornerstone, Murder (Mike Rollins) and Muncie Magee (Pat Buck).

- We taped the entire final episode in order and it’s structured like a PPV. Lots of quality matches.

- We had to stop taping one match because Omega’s scrotum popped out of his tights.

- Joey Ryan’s follow-up promo after his character’s coming out is probably the best performance of his career.

- Jeff Katz can run the ropes better than Kelly Kelly. I am an eye witness.

- If anything, these tapings are forcing to look into Youtube videos of Mike Rollins and Pat Buck.

Personally, I really hope there is a Season 2. Like I have mentioned, the style of wrestling isn’t like PWG or ROH or etc. It feels like… well, it looks and wrestles like what WWE should be. There is a bit of Americanized puro in Hero, Anderson, and MVP matches but the rest is like going to a great WWE show in regards to in-ring action. All backstage segments are going to be recorded tomorrow, so this is all I can tell you. I had a great time, my voice is destroyed after three days of yelling, and I’m looking forward to the final product.

Vice
October 16th, 2011, 3:05 PM
I like how all the heels have names as if they were straight out of GI Joe.

Cewsh
October 16th, 2011, 3:21 PM
If every other aspect of the show if awful and shit, I will love Katz forever if he pulls off what he's trying with Joey Ryan.

MikeHunt
October 16th, 2011, 3:25 PM
this sounds very good. i'm looking forward to this more and more.

does anyone know if the episodes will be available to download from their website?

Deewun
October 16th, 2011, 3:42 PM
I'm with you, Cewsh. Ryan just may make a huge mark on wrestling as a WHOLE if this thing goes well. It seems to have been received amazingly well.

Vice
October 16th, 2011, 3:47 PM
If every other aspect of the show if awful and shit, I will love Katz forever if he pulls off what he's trying with Joey Ryan.

I'm waiting for UncannyIowan to come in here now and be like "there's so much to talk about, but Cewsh only mentioned the storyline about the gay. so very Cewsh! LOL"

mth
October 16th, 2011, 3:47 PM
Yeah, that stuff with Ryan really intrigues me. This whole thing sounds really interesting, honestly, I'd like to try to follow it if I have the time and opportunity.

JRSlim21
October 16th, 2011, 3:52 PM
Not sure about download. Justin.tv & Netflix have distribution deals, if I'm not mistaken.

Deewun
October 16th, 2011, 4:01 PM
Katz says every avenue he can put it out, he will. DVD, Blu-Ray, Netflix, Justin.tv, download, iTunes.

Cewsh
October 16th, 2011, 4:27 PM
I'm waiting for UncannyIowan to come in here now and be like "there's so much to talk about, but Cewsh only mentioned the storyline about the gay. so very Cewsh! LOL"

Ahahaha, god that MMA thing was so crazy of him. Ridiculous.

I'd talk about the rest of the spoilers too, but I really want to see it myself before I make any judgements.

Brian M.
October 16th, 2011, 4:47 PM
BRICK SHITHOUSE~!

JRSlim21
October 16th, 2011, 7:40 PM
Katz tweeted he wants to thank the person who wrote spoilers for not writing in depth details. Was he talking about you, Deewun?

Deewun
October 16th, 2011, 7:58 PM
No, they weren't my spoilers. I took these from a few different postings and combined them. The original dude was on a TNA forum.

mth
October 16th, 2011, 8:03 PM
You probably should have given credit/sources. I was wondering if you were there or something.

Deewun
October 16th, 2011, 8:07 PM
Sure, I'll add it in.

Rip
October 20th, 2011, 6:14 AM
Has any of the footage leaked out yet, I was looking forward to it but some of the written reviews don't really sound to hot...

takerson
October 20th, 2011, 6:38 AM
I'm quite looking forward to how this plays out. :yes:

VERY unique, new, and intriguing.

Deewun
October 20th, 2011, 8:25 AM
Actual footage isn't going to leak until they put it together, as it was a controlled environment. If I find any pictures or more news/notes/spoilers, I"ll put them up here, and I implore you folks to do similarly.

Deewun
October 20th, 2011, 9:14 AM
Ok, got a large amount of spoilers from the last day of taping. I'll also update the cast details I put up earlier. Oh yeah, and the "Masters" was indeed our favorite WWE workhorse who got shitcanned, Chris Masters!! That is awesome news to me.

This is all filmed at Jim Hensons Studios.

CAST:

Faces:
Joey Ryan is Chase Walker, Face w/ Trisha LaFache as Aphrodite, his valet <-- Very over
Kenny Omega is Scott "Cornerstone" Carpenter, Face <-- Very over
Luke Gallows is Johnny 99, Face
Chris Masters is Concrete, Face <-- Very over

Heels:
Colt Cabana is Punchline , Heel
Adam Pearce is Tommy Ridgeway, Heel
"Psycho" Mike Rollins is Master Murder, Heel <-- Very over
Sami Callihan and Alex Zikos are Sami Callihan and Alex Reynolds, S&P: Satanic and Profitable, Heels
Karl Anderson is Killshot, Heel
MVP is Lord of War, Heel
Kevin Matthews is Bobby Hollywood, Heel
Dr. Luther is Dante the Demonic Priest, Heel
Kenny Dykstra is Stan Shooter, Heel
Emil Sitoci is Klaus, Das Nihilist, Heel

Unknown:
Shawn Daivari is Faris Gotch, ???
Amazing Red is Dios Dorado, ???
Shaun Ricker and Brian Cage-Taylor are John Ricker and John Cage, John-tuarge, with enforcer Ben Muth, Brick Shithouse, ???
Pat Buck is The Liberal Redneck/Muncie Magee, ??? <-- Very over
Chris Hero is Chris Hyde, ??? <-- Very over

Timothy Thatcher is BBC, ???
Ben Muth is Brick Shithouse, ??? <-- HUGE chants

Unaccounted for:

Curt Swan
Dave the Bruiser, enhancement

As for actual match-ups from the third day of shooting (from ProFightDatabase):

1) Dante the Demonic Priest, Dio Dorado, Johnny 99, Killshot, Klaus, Scott "Cornerstone" Carpenter, Stan Shooter def. BBC, Chris Hyde, Concrete, Ferris Gotch, Master Murder, Punchline, Tommy Ridgeway - 14-man tag elimination match
2) Johnny 99 def. Lord of War
3) Dios Dorado def. Curt Swan
4) Lord of War def. Chris Hyde
5) Scott "Cornerstone" Carpenter def. Johnny 99
6) Punchline K.O. Master Murder in Falls Count Anywhere
7) S&P def. John-Tourage and Tommy Ridgeway and Munchie Magee in Triple-Threat Tag match
8) Chris Hyde def. Killshot
9) Dios Dorado and Ferris Gotch def. BBC and Klaus
10) Chase Walker and Concrete def. Bobby Hollywood and Stan Shooter
11) Lord of War def. Johnny 99 in a Last Man Standing
12) Scott "Cornerstone" Carpenter def. Dante the Demonic Priest

Rip
October 20th, 2011, 12:09 PM
'Lord of War', 'Johnny 99', 'Master Murder' & 'Dante the Demonic Priest' :wtf:

Not the greatest of names there, unless we're going for an ironic 80's esque feel :yes:

Cewsh
October 20th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Its supposed to be like an underground fight club, where they all have gimmick names.

Rip
October 20th, 2011, 12:11 PM
Even so...

Dante the Demonic Priest, ouch.

Deewun
October 20th, 2011, 12:16 PM
I like them. I miss names and gimmicks like that. Some of these names are brilliant. BBC makes me laugh every time I hear it. Like some ignorant American insulted him by calling the Brit BBC, and it just stuck.

Hero!
October 20th, 2011, 1:56 PM
:lol: Those names a brilliant. These guys sound like fucking comic book characters and I love it.

Deewun
October 20th, 2011, 2:12 PM
Boom, finally got all the names correct on the cast list. Ben Muth is BRICK SHITHOUSE! That's dripping in awesome.

I'm working on finding the info on heel/face for the guys I don't know right now. Stay tuned!

Oh, here we go, a little bit more info on MVP: Lord of War/MVP is playing Masahiro Chono, including STF finisher. Ballin'.

Deewun
October 20th, 2011, 10:24 PM
Joey Ryan radio interview on the Greg DeMarco Show. WRP related highlights:

- 63 matches were filmed in 3 days.
- Really hammered home the fact that the purpose of Chase Walker being gay is that it isn't a "gimmick". This isn't Adrien Street, Orlando Jordan, Rico, or Goldust. Just a wrestler, who happens to be gay. "Neil Patrick Harris" gay.
- Ryan is incredibly proud of the character, saying it is the best work, for character and in-ring that he's ever done.
- "I'm not trying to be a hero among the gay community"
- The crowd was given very little, and by the end of the first day, there was nothing done, and the crowd was into it. It was made up of fans and extras, and the extras took their cues from the fans, until the end of the third day, where they were all fans.
- The crowd was very into everything with Chase Walker, and even though they were prepared to do multiple takes, everyone did everything for Walker in one take. Everyone was on the ball.
- The "coming out" promo got a huge, emotional response.
- The matches are not WWE TV matches. Ryan calls it "abbreviated PWF/ROH style matches"
- Ryan is very happy and willing to reprise the Chase Walker character.
- Goofy names or not, WRP is about good wrestling. "It is like G.I. Joe wrestling"

Cewsh
October 20th, 2011, 10:25 PM
Masahiro Chono.

JRSlim21
October 20th, 2011, 11:17 PM
Damn this sounds dynamite. All this show is missing is roids

Brian M.
October 20th, 2011, 11:22 PM
I hope by abbreviated matches, they mean not as long as the matches those companies put on, and not "we aren't always going to show you the full match."

Deewun
October 21st, 2011, 9:03 AM
Yeah, that was what Ryan was saying. Abbreviated length PWG/ROH styled matches, not chopped up and edited. He said for the most part, matches are 10 minutes.

Deewun
October 21st, 2011, 11:10 PM
PWTorch interview with Jeff Katz. All relevant/new info:

- The name (Wrestling Revolution Project) will be changing SOON, though stay familiar.
- Editing begins MONDAY. Distribution will roll out soon in a "movie" style, with a teaser, followed by later a trailer, then another trailer, all leading to the debut of the full thing.
- He is editing and cutting it together like a movie, scoring the whole thing, color correcting, and looking for a really polished, cinematic look.
- DVD sets, Netflix, iPad/Smartphone, Hulu --- this is going to be an experiment in distribution.
- He hates the "Monday Night War" model.
- Not going to be released in each episode weekly. Will be released all at once as a season with episodes, and the viewer gets to choose how quickly or slowly they will watch it.
- He wants VERY memorable characters, and to merchandise those characters with toys and apparel, just like Vince's merchandising model.
- He loved old school style characters, and THAT is what wrestling is to him, so that's how he shot for his characters.
- With those characters in mind, he wanted "darker" more modern stories built around those classic-styled characters.
- ALL the talent got it and loved the idea, and jumped at the chance.
- "Wrestling for smart people"

"Who should we be looking at specifically/who should we be watching for?" - Joey Ryan; Psycho Mike Rollins; Dr. Luther

- shot a bit with Colt Cabana and Mike Rollins, the last thing they shot, in a conference room, that is Katz favorite thing he EVER did, his entire career, that he loves so much that he may let it go viral for free.
- MVP: Entirely controversial, entirely him, yet 0% MVP.
- The goal for WRP is not just work-rate, but about the stories.
- All clean finishes with very few exceptions.
- "Real sport" aspect to the setting.
- "If I want to kill a character off, I have the liberty to do that."
- WRP is not for everyone, and he is cool with that.
- Chris Hero = Ryan Gosling in Drive.
- "I do not want to make Crash, I want to make Romero's Dawn of the Dead."
- "All action is an extention of character"
- "This is about a bunch of damaged guys, looking for the prize and glory."
- "If it happens, it COUNTS." <--- in reference to story and character. No flip-flopping.
- He's gotten a lot of great feedback from inside the big two companies. Nothing is straight up "stolen," but if it is, Katz will grin and be happy.
- He wants to get all these wrestlers into SAG (Screen Actor's Guild) to change how the wrestling industry works! This point is so important to him that season 2 won't happen unless he can guarantee this.
- International announcement for distribution in 1 or 2 weeks.

Whew.

Chris Dolmeth
October 21st, 2011, 11:24 PM
Sound very interesting, can't wait to see it.

mth
October 21st, 2011, 11:35 PM
I'm definitely going to look into buying the DVD.

Ringo
October 22nd, 2011, 7:21 AM
- Chris Hero = Ryan Gosling in Drive.

Jesus fucking christ.

This is all I had to hear.

V-Line
October 24th, 2011, 3:46 AM
This sounds really, really interesting. Any word as to when its expected to be released?

Deewun
October 24th, 2011, 8:18 AM
First Quarter 2012. Probably February.

Melonball
October 26th, 2011, 10:47 AM
I was there for half of the matches on the third day. It was a great time. The crowd was totally infectious, which is crazy since we really didnt see a lot of promos so we pretty much were making our own stories of who we liked and cheered for.

Some of the best chants I've seen at an event.

Deewun
October 29th, 2011, 12:37 AM
Katz answered some questions on twitter about an hour ago. I'll quote any that are important/new information:

About potential make-up of a Season 2 cast:

Probably a mix of guys from Series One and new talent.

Thoughts on Timothy Thatcher:

Couldn't have asked for a better guy to be BBC. Loved his in-ring style and his promos were a lot of fun.

I can't reveal spoilers that specific but I will say that BBC gets to do some fun, topical stuff.

Question: Will the wrestlers' characters be introduced during the course of matches in commentary or more like vignettes?

A little bit of both. It will be very recognizable to longtime wrestling fans.

On the character arcs:

I think the character arcs will make sense. We tried to be logic heavy.

On Enhancement Talent:

I will also confirm that I have indeed brought back enhancement talent a la WWF SUPERSTARS.

The enhancement guys will feature in the first few weeks of the show to establish the new characters and their moves, etc.

Crazy concept, I know. But I hear it has worked before. ;)

On Karl Anderson:

I will confirm that @machinegunka uses the classic Arn Anderson spinebuster and does it EXACTLY like Arn. I popped huge.

Deewun
November 21st, 2011, 1:05 PM
All right. Katz is giving out pictures and little promotionals now for the show. Today is the first day.

There comes a time when we must put aside the call for REVOLUTION... A time when the talking must cease and the doing must commence...

In 2012 the universe will know...

RETRIBUTION is ours. #WRP

FATHER DANTE
http://jeffkatz.typepad.com/.a/6a0120a721c2d7970b01539355558f970b-800wi
"You will kiss the hand of God."

Holy crap! That is cool. So this is the satanic priest played by Dr. Luther. Father Dante is a much better name than "Dante the Satanic Priest" and is now the official moniquer.

There should be more and more as time passes, and I'll do my damnedest to make sure to put them up here as quickly as possible.

Cewsh
November 21st, 2011, 1:07 PM
Wow, that dude looks amazing.

Deewun
November 21st, 2011, 1:08 PM
I know, right?! The makeup is awesome.

JRSlim21
November 21st, 2011, 9:46 PM
Are they pushing these through Twitter? If I spot any, I'll post them as well

Deewun
November 22nd, 2011, 1:31 AM
He is doing them one every day at noon, kind of like he did with the talent reveals.

Deewun
November 22nd, 2011, 1:03 PM
New promo reveal.

MASTER MURDER
http://jeffkatz.typepad.com/.a/6a0120a721c2d7970b015437309f47970c-800wi

"Murder's gonna kill you!"

Reaction: That's Psycho Mike Rollins, with no change whatsoever, which means he was cast for the role and the role created for him. I like that tag line a lot. Not as much wow as the first, but still awesome to see!

Cewsh
November 22nd, 2011, 1:14 PM
The tag line is kind of super hokey since its been done so much before and really kind of belongs to Samoa Joe, but he does look like a crazy bastard.

Deewun
November 22nd, 2011, 1:15 PM
True, it isn't a new idea. But it is a fun one. The right kind of hokey, you know?

Cewsh
November 22nd, 2011, 1:22 PM
I'm not sure that a deranged lunatic with a murderer gimmick should be packaged particularly hokey at all.

DDT
November 22nd, 2011, 1:32 PM
I refuse to take anyone with that haircut seriously, even if they were in the process of castrating me.

Mills
November 22nd, 2011, 3:32 PM
Needs a different colored contact lens, go all out two face

mth
November 22nd, 2011, 4:16 PM
Should have half a beard.

Hero!
November 22nd, 2011, 5:53 PM
Look at his little chin hairs, there's only half a chinbeard there. He just needs to grow it out more.

mth
November 22nd, 2011, 9:12 PM
Oh, you are correct. But yeah, not enough.

Deewun
November 23rd, 2011, 1:08 PM
Today's reveal.

DAS NIHILIST
http://jeffkatz.typepad.com/.a/6a0120a721c2d7970b0162fcb2aeb8970d-800wi

"No pain or pleasure. No black or white. Only cold ... and grey."

Reaction: This seems to be Emil Sitoci. I really like his ring-gear and ring-coat. In all the notes I have he went by Klaus, so it is probably some combination of those names.