PDA

View Full Version : American Horror Story

Bert
August 3rd, 2011, 7:04 PM
http://i.imgur.com/VQ1Lm.jpg

Not much is known so I'm just going to steal tv.com's article.

http://www.tv.com/is-fxs-american-horror-story-poised-to-be-freakiest-show-ever/story/26412.html

Murphy has returned to his demented roots with American Horror Story, a psycho-sexual horror series on FX that's set to debut during the so-called scariest month of the year, October. The lid had been kept so tightly on the project that when it was finally taken off last night during a screening for critics, everyone's faces melted like the opening of the Ark of the Covenant in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Between the slack-jawed reports of the pilot and the images FX released today, American Horror Story sounds like the series that's going to generate heated discussion, make Twitter explode with the force of a 10-ton bomb, and rouse the rabble of conservative groups all over.

Here's what we now about the series: a family already on the rocks–because of the husband's infidelity and the wife's traumatic miscarriage–buys an L.A.-area house that previously hosted multiple murders and is (probably) haunted, according to EW's Ken Tucker. Sounds pretty whatev, right? Well soon, blood starts running down the walls, the husband's psychiatric clients start doing that Jacob's Ladder head-shaking thing, husband and wife have rough, bondage sex, and everyone in the house starts seeing disturbing visions, including a maid that alternates between sweet old lady and voluptuous whore. NPR's Linda Holmes makes references to "demon-y looking things" and "creepy things in jars." NY Magazine's Kyle Buchanan says star Dylan McDermott's bare ass should be given its own acting credit as it's on screen enough for one. But everyone agrees that it's batsh*t insane and moves at a break-neck pace that might be tough to sustain.

Is it a fetishist's and horror fan's dream or a lesson in absent-minded sensationalism? Right now it appears to be both, as early opinions on American Horror Story are split right down the middle. One thing's for sure though: everyone will have something to say on the project when it debuts later this year.

-Connie Britton
-Bondage Sex

I'm sold. :yes:

Also, Frances Conroy was great in Six Feet Under so I'm looking forward to seeing her again.

Bert
September 8th, 2011, 5:01 PM
Teaser trailer:
American Horror Story Promo (HD) - YouTube

Big
September 18th, 2011, 11:00 AM
I'm looking forward to this, glad you posted the plot, as the trailers so far have been very sketchy.

Tim
September 19th, 2011, 5:28 AM
Mrs. Coach Taylor doing bondage? I'm sold.

Judas Iscariot
October 5th, 2011, 11:27 PM
Anyone see the first episode?

Some freaky shit. Expect it to pick up.

Some stuff actually had me feeling uncomfortable/spooked, and I feel like this was just a little introduction to shit that's going to go down.

VanillaJello
October 6th, 2011, 12:26 AM
Not a fan of horror... But I watched and was glad I did.

Solid pilot.

Judas Iscariot
October 6th, 2011, 11:29 AM
The young version of the maid would get it HARD.

Clutch
October 6th, 2011, 8:45 PM
this show fucking rocks :yes:

Chris Dolmeth
October 6th, 2011, 9:08 PM
Just watched this earlier today. Fuckin weird ass shit. I'm hooked.

Canuck
October 7th, 2011, 4:20 AM
Principle Taylor... SOLD. Seen previews, but originally wrote this one off. Will check it out.

Canuck
October 8th, 2011, 9:34 PM
Just been the one episode?

William
October 10th, 2011, 7:16 AM
Yeah, Episode 2 airs this Wednesday.

I watched the Pilot, mainly because of the name of the show. Didn't see any trailers or commercials for it, just gave it a shot.

Was definitely pleasantly surprised, although it did seem a bit thrown together in some parts. It kind of somewhat reminds me of a mixture of Insidious, Rose Red and Amityville Horror all thrown together into a television series; which I enjoy all of the above so yeah.

VanillaJello
October 13th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Thoughts on Episode 2?

Is the Tate dead/a ghost... or does he just have the ability to appear like that?

Kind of had a "The Strangers" feel to the episode last night.

Miotch
October 15th, 2011, 9:58 PM
Loving this show. Really loving it.

Not sure what the deal is with the 3 1/2 of them that seem to be involved with the house. They might all be dead.

Regardless, I love how they tied history of the house into the current timeline. I hope that's something they're able to continue doing.

Tim
October 15th, 2011, 11:59 PM
I liked the first episode, and liked the 2nd episode 10x more. I also had a thought, correct me if I'm off on this because I could be forgetting something in regards to the neighbor.

She said she had 3 kids with down syndrome, and 1 kid that came out perfect. Then we saw her banging a younger guy that was fairly good looking. I was thinking the younger guy she had sex with was possibly her son, which is why her kids have down syndrome, she's getting knocked up by her son.

LOCONUT
October 16th, 2011, 6:18 PM
I think her kid is probably the kid that Mcdermott is counseling.

Chris Dolmeth
November 3rd, 2011, 2:13 AM
Holy shit, this show is intense. Keeps getting better.

takerson
November 3rd, 2011, 8:53 AM
Right?!

Somebody at work recommended it to me a week or so ago...

I finally got around to watching an episode on demand yesterday, and HAD to watch the other 3. Then I was pleased to discover that the 5th episode was on last night.

Now I'm all caught up, and upset that I have to wait a whole week to see it continue.

So much fucked up shit going on.

William
November 3rd, 2011, 9:18 AM
I haven't watched the 5th episode yet but I do have to say... I was wondering how Sylar [Zachary Quinto] was playing a homosexual guy sooo incredibly well... until I found out today that he just came out of the closet this month.

I wonder if this show will have a 2nd season [which I believe it will] and if so, if it will revolve around the next family in the house or an entirely different house completely. I don't really see it being revolved around the current family. That would be a bit of a prolonged stretch since each episode feels a bit "crammed".

takerson
November 3rd, 2011, 9:22 AM
I think it would be cool to have every season have a beginning-middle-end to it with one family.

Every season would chronicle a new family moving in.

Different house is a good idea too, a different "Horror Story" every season.

Either way, continuing with the same family would be almost impossible... there's already SO much shit going on.

Canuck
November 3rd, 2011, 2:41 PM
Almost too much stuff. I hope they don't rush it in the end to tie everything together.

Chris Scott
November 7th, 2011, 4:49 PM
This starts tonight in the UK, I'm going to check this out.

LOCONUT
November 15th, 2011, 3:48 AM
So this show has been pretty good so far. I can't think of a big budget TV Show that has ever gone to this degree of horror.

Miotch
November 15th, 2011, 5:06 AM
Last 2 seasons of 24. lol

Gary J
November 28th, 2011, 7:35 PM
Just watched the first four episodes on my sky plus and enjoying the show. I want to fuck the young version of the maid so much.

Bert
November 28th, 2011, 8:46 PM
I'm planning to marathon the whole first season when it finishes Dec 14th. I have too much TV to watch right now.

I deleted the broken links, fixed the teaser trailer link, and added a creepy poster to my first post.

virms
December 4th, 2011, 2:01 AM
So I have started this show and got currently up to date with it. First 5 or 6 episodes were fantastic but then it seemed they really wanted to push all the characters of the house at once which kind of turned me off a bit. I understand they probably don't know what kind of life (season wise) they can get out of the show but they already could have had 4 or 5 seasons worth of characters. Anywho... a few questions.

Everyone in the show that has lived in the house and died is pretty much what they looked like when they died with the exception of the maid. Why? Does she have some sort of special power and which version does Constance see since she is the murderer?

How come the two gay guys didn't instantly appear after they died like everyone else?

Granted, these questions will probably be answered but I am getting LOST feelings with this show already, I also think the Real Estate agent is very much in the know with the ghosts.

William
December 4th, 2011, 3:12 PM
1] Constance once made a remark that all men will see women as objects whereas women can see the true soul of a person... so basically all of the men see the maid as a sex object, but when their eyes are "opened" and they're able to see past the physical realm, then males will be able to see the maid as she truly is - a tired old soul.

Constance sees her as the older version.

2] Not every ghost appeared instantly. Every ghost doesn't just appear at the same time. They linger and wait. The Black Dahlia, for example. It was just the gay couple's time to appear, since the on-goings of the house needed them, so to speak.

Jordo
December 4th, 2011, 4:00 PM
So I have started this show and got currently up to date with it. First 5 or 6 episodes were fantastic but then it seemed they really wanted to push all the characters of the house at once which kind of turned me off a bit. I understand they probably don't know what kind of life (season wise) they can get out of the show but they already could have had 4 or 5 seasons worth of characters. Anywho... a few questions.

Everyone in the show that has lived in the house and died is pretty much what they looked like when they died with the exception of the maid. Why? Does she have some sort of special power and which version does Constance see since she is the murderer?

How come the two gay guys didn't instantly appear after they died like everyone else?

Granted, these questions will probably be answered but I am getting LOST feelings with this show already, I also think the Real Estate agent is very much in the know with the ghosts.

Yea why would a Real Estate agent have a gun in their purse, there's something fishy there, I've been thinking she's ghost too.

Funboy
December 4th, 2011, 5:04 PM
I like this show BUT don't like the creator Ryan Murphy. Think he's up his own ass and will wreck this show like he has with Glee and like he did with Nip/Tuck. He doesn't know when to stop; this could be a great single/double season show, but I just think he'll stretch it out for too long. There's *potentially* too much going on in the season. But having said that I do watch it every week. (prob has something to do with the YOUNG maid.)

virms
December 8th, 2011, 12:43 PM
If you didn't watch last night's episode please don't click the spoiler.

Violet :cry:

Guess the parents won't be leaving the house after all once they find out.

Tim
December 9th, 2011, 2:59 AM
I remember reading rumors that they might bring in a different family for the second season, I guess that's not happening now that Violet is dead.

Hobbit
December 9th, 2011, 3:01 PM
I've been catching up on this the past few days, up to date as of now. It's good, but I'm getting very bored of some of the characters, Tate and the burned man especially.

The ep with Tate shooting the school up, that got some flak did it not? I noted the Columbine reference with the 'do you believe in God' line (or whatever) before shooting someone, thought it was slightly distasteful but hey it's only TV and they didn't glamourise it I suppose.

How far are we now from the finale? Can't be more than about 2-3 eps right?

Good lord the young maid is sensational.

virms
December 10th, 2011, 2:02 AM
It has got two more hobbit my love god

virms
December 11th, 2011, 1:00 AM
I've been catching up on this the past few days, up to date as of now. It's good, but I'm getting very bored of some of the characters, Tate and the burned man especially.

The ep with Tate shooting the school up, that got some flak did it not? I noted the Columbine reference with the 'do you believe in God' line (or whatever) before shooting someone, thought it was slightly distasteful but hey it's only TV and they didn't glamourise it I suppose.

How far are we now from the finale? Can't be more than about 2-3 eps right?

Good lord the young maid is sensational.

Check your rep Hobbz my love

Clutch
December 17th, 2011, 11:51 PM
best show on television right now, imo :heart:

fucking incredible

for those who watched episode 11, do you think Tate has been vanished forever?

virms
December 18th, 2011, 12:11 AM
I don't think he is gone as he is to central to the show. He is basically the cause and effect of everything. I just wonder what the dad is going to do now that he has lost his wife and daughter.

Next week is the season finale so it should be crackin. :yes:

I think I am most interested in what the two babies look like since one of them is born of pure evil.

Also, strange thought popped into my head. I wonder if this show will fiddle about with reincarnation? Perhaps Tate was reborn?

William
December 19th, 2011, 3:09 AM
for those who watched episode 11, do you think Tate has been vanished forever?

No. He's in the preview clips for the season finale and not as flashbacks or anything.

I think I am most interested in what the two babies look like since one of them is born of pure evil.

I thought the "good" one ended up being stillborn even though it was given to Nora [I don't think she was sane enough to care/notice it was already dead maybe?]. Maybe I was mistaken.

VanillaJello
December 22nd, 2011, 12:43 PM
So, that's it huh?

takerson
December 22nd, 2011, 2:32 PM
I really enjoyed the finale. :dunno:

Like.... A LOT.

LOCONUT
December 22nd, 2011, 2:38 PM
Yeah, me too. Very interested to see where this goes if they come back next year...

Chris Dolmeth
December 22nd, 2011, 2:40 PM
Yeah, I enjoyed it. So many different ways they can go with it now.

Clutch
December 22nd, 2011, 7:55 PM
Jessica Lange is fucking incredible in this show. Cant wait for season II

sam_elmendorf
April 25th, 2012, 3:54 PM
It's been confirmed on AHS Facebook and other places that some of the cast are coming back, but they will all be playing different characters.

VanillaJello
October 17th, 2012, 10:24 PM
It's back tonight.

G-Fresh
October 17th, 2012, 10:39 PM
I might trip and watch this tonight.

Judas Iscariot
October 18th, 2012, 12:42 AM
I wish I'd tripped when I watched it tonight.

No fucking idea what was going on.

Didn't watch last year, but I understand this year is completely unrelated.

I'll stick with it.

Mr_Nobody
October 20th, 2012, 7:52 AM
Last year, I watched American Horror Story almost like it was a car wreck. I honestly didn't know if it was good, but I just had to see what was going to happen next. I think it was the episode Smoldering Children where I went..."Holy crap, this is good."

However, I must say, after the first episode of this season, I honestly think I like this season better already, at least from the start. I love how they've brought back the returning actors, but at the same time, they are completely different characters. I think it shows how good of actors they are. Overall a good first episode of the new season. I look forward to what happens next.

takerson
October 20th, 2012, 8:54 AM
Last year, I watched American Horror Story almost like it was a car wreck. I honestly didn't know if it was good, but I just had to see what was going to happen next. I think it was the episode Smoldering Children where I went..."Holy crap, this is good."

However, I must say, after the first episode of this season, I honestly think I like this season better already, at least from the start. I love how they've brought back the returning actors, but at the same time, they are completely different characters. I think it shows how good of actors they are. Overall a good first episode of the new season. I look forward to what happens next.

This, all of this. I'm loving it. :yes:

LOCONUT
October 20th, 2012, 11:08 AM
I found the opener a little messy, particularly considering that last years story was built on subtlety. This one kind of just hit you over the head right from the start. The cast is outstanding and I am sure that this wont disappoint.

Chris Dolmeth
November 2nd, 2012, 1:44 PM
I've been loving this season so far, crazy shit all around. Might be enjoying it more than season one.

Mr McGregor
November 22nd, 2015, 1:50 AM
So what's been going on with this?

I haven't been able to sleep recently, so I just binged on Asylum, it's nearly 6am and I'm up to the final episode, but I wanted to see what you lot thought of this and if Coven and Freak Show were any good?

Asylum's been very easy to binge on, nice twists and not too predictable. The car crash analogy somebody made was spot on. Wish there was a little more about Arden's mutants before he shoots them up. Lange is obviously great, but I also fucking love Frances Conroy in everything she's done. I can't help but squee whenever I see any Six Feet Under actor, and this has a hefty bunch of them.

LoveFuryEnergyPassion
November 22nd, 2015, 2:56 AM
The best thing about Coven was Kathy Bates. Other than that, it was quite a chore to sit through. They used witchcraft as an excuse to be able to kill characters off and then bring them back, so you couldn't really get invested in anyone.

I liked Freak Show, but it could have been better.

I started Hotel, but after ten minutes I decided I just couldn't deal with anymore of Ryan Murphy's shows in their later seasons. The man starts strong but gets bored and moves on to other things and lets his shows spiral out of control before putting them out of their misery.

Rancid_Planet
November 22nd, 2015, 4:43 AM
For me, Asylum was as good as this show has ever been. Coven was okay. Freak Show wasn't terrible but it was slow as fuck for the middle few episodes. Which is weird for this series as usually the problem is that there is too much going on to keep up with.

As for this season, I am really enjoying it. I felt like last week's episode finally planted a lot of back story that was missing from a couple of the main characters. But I'll hold off on my opinion of the season as a whole until it's finished.

Mr McGregor
November 23rd, 2015, 12:51 PM
So can anyone tell me how long it takes to get "Dominique-nique-nique" out of your head? It's been over a day now. Goddamn.

Seanny One Ball
December 1st, 2015, 10:50 PM
Freakshow is great. I loved it so much I bought the first 3 seasons for £12. Freakshow has the best characters and set, Asylum has the best storyline and Murder House has the best performances and all round atmosphere. Sarah Paulson is just awful in them all. Coven I will get round to.

slik
March 21st, 2016, 10:03 AM
I wasn't crazy about FreakShow outside of Dandy and Twisty, big fans of both. Just felt like a season with so many unroootable characters (Especially Elsa - and I usually root for Jessica Lange's characters, even when they're 90% evil)

HOTEL was ok, better than Coven, but it ended in a bit of a mess. Liz Taylor was the season standout IMO. Last night @ PaleyFest, where they usually divulge info about the upcoming season, showrunner Ryan Murphy said he is still deciding between two seasons but anyone who wants to come back from the previous cast is welcome to do so (kind of disappointing since that means he'll cast people he wants to work with rather than cast for the roles he needs).

Asylum/Murder House are my favorite seasons.

PurePlayer
April 30th, 2020, 9:30 AM
I just finished all 9 seasons during this quarantine. Murder House was the best followed by Asylum. I did enjoy Coven, Hotel, and Apocalypse. I liked the connection between all the seasons. Freak Show was ok but probably my least favorite season. 1984 was a nice change of pace. I wonder what they have planned for the next 3 seasons they signed up for.

Donald
April 30th, 2020, 10:56 AM
I stopped in the middle of Roanoke, just can't get into it. Suppose I should plough threw though.

PurePlayer
April 30th, 2020, 11:41 AM
I stopped in the middle of Roanoke, just can't get into it. Suppose I should plough threw though.

Roanoke is one of their shorter seasons. It's not really necessary to watch if you want to check out the other seasons. I think you would like 1984. You don't have to watch any of the seasons for that one. If you liked Murder House, Coven, and Hotel you will enjoy Apocalypse.

Rancid_Planet
May 2nd, 2020, 6:02 AM
I just finished all 9 seasons during this quarantine. Murder House was the best followed by Asylum. I did enjoy Coven, Hotel, and Apocalypse. I liked the connection between all the seasons. Freak Show was ok but probably my least favorite season. 1984 was a nice change of pace. I wonder what they have planned for the next 3 seasons they signed up for.

Next season seems to have some kind of beach/ghost ship/ship wreck theme. Something like that.

I fucking LOVED the 1984 season. Best one since Coven for me.

Election was fucking awful. Roanoke had a good first half season then fizzled like a fart.

PurePlayer
May 4th, 2020, 9:03 AM
Next season seems to have some kind of beach/ghost ship/ship wreck theme. Something like that.

I fucking LOVED the 1984 season. Best one since Coven for me.

Election was fucking awful. Roanoke had a good first half season then fizzled like a fart.

I think I would rank them like this

Murder House
Asylum
Coven
Hotel
Apocalypse
Freak Show
Roanke
Cult

Rancid_Planet
May 7th, 2020, 11:09 PM
I think I would rank them like this

Murder House
Asylum
Coven
Hotel
Apocalypse
Freak Show
Roanke
Cult

I think I'd flip Asylum and Murder House as well as 84 and Hotel but basically I agree with that ranking.