PDA

View Full Version : WWE Bringing Back Managers?

The Law
May 11th, 2011, 8:34 PM
Says a report on the main page. Apparently Michael Hayes managed Tyson Kidd at the Superstars taping earlier. Obviously, Michael Cole and Vickie Guerrero have been working as managers recently. I'd say both have been quite successful in getting Jack Swagger and Dolph Ziggler over.

Personally, I'm very happy to hear this. Some guys need help getting over. Some guys can't talk very well but are otherwise great workers. There's no reason to let those guys falter when they could be stars.

Who could be managers? Obviously Cole, Vickie, and Hayes will continue in their roles. It seems like Jinder Mahal might end up managing Khali. I'd like to see Cole have a whole stable of wrestlers he manages, rather than just Swagger.

Who needs a manager? John Morrison is an obvious candidate, as either a face or heel. Ezekiel Jackson and Mason Ryan might benefit. I don't like monsters talking too much. Drew McIntyre is a guy who needs a little extra something if he's going to move up the card.

What does everyone else think of WWE re-emphasizing managers?

Motherboy
May 11th, 2011, 8:37 PM
Abraham Washington could be brought back up. I think Arn Anderson is a better choice for the old-school face manager than Hayes, but whatever. Hayes did manage the Hardys. I'm in favor of it, I've missed managers in WWE for a long time.

One Man Gang
May 11th, 2011, 8:44 PM
If they can get CM Punk to stay, he would make a good manager. They somewhat had him doing that on Monday with Mason Ryan.

They can always bring back Paul Bearer again to manage someone. Possible revenge against Kane.

cuttups
May 11th, 2011, 8:49 PM
If they only kept CM Punk around to be a manager only, my soul would die a little.

One Man Gang
May 11th, 2011, 8:54 PM
If they only kept CM Punk around to be a manager only, my soul would die a little.

It would give him a rest physically and keep him around verbally for our enjoyment. It's a win win for the time being.

Another manager candidate would be Goldust.

Bad Collin
May 11th, 2011, 8:56 PM
They need to get this man back:

http://www.legendschampionshipwrestling.com/uploaded_images/4750000-726701.jpg

One Man Gang
May 11th, 2011, 9:00 PM
They need to get this man back:

http://www.legendschampionshipwrestling.com/uploaded_images/4750000-726701.jpg

Oh you mean the Panama Gang? :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzK5W0pm0xQ&feature=related

Bad Collin
May 11th, 2011, 9:06 PM
That would be awesome; Estrada, Brodus and Morrison

Hero!
May 11th, 2011, 9:20 PM
Yussss!!

I marked out a bit during the opening bit on RAW this past week seeing Miz w/Riley and Alberto w/Ricardo in the ring together. Gave me those sweet nostalgic feelings of wrestlers and their managers together.

JRSlim21
May 11th, 2011, 10:23 PM
Unfortunately I don't think he's PG enough

Spoiler for size

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/06/Mr._Mitchell.jpg

Motherboy
May 11th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Absolutely James Mitchell/Vandenberg/Sinister Minister. Someone to serve as the Paul Bearer for WWE's next monster. I think he could he could do PG just fine.

BuzzSawski
May 11th, 2011, 10:29 PM

Agreed, he's one of the best wrestlers (or I guess we arent supposed to call them that anymore), that they have.

Sparky
May 11th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Managers have been a lost art. However, sometimes theres cases where managers overshadow the superstars. Vickie and Dolph is a great example of that.

Daivari and Estrada were both fantastic managers. Jinder Mahal has been rumored for something similar to a managerial role.

I'd love for them to take a guy like Curt Hawkins, and have him manage a big man who does his dirty work for him.

StoneColdWWE316
May 11th, 2011, 10:46 PM
I love the idea of WWE re-introducing the Managers at Ringside. They were awesome back in the day as almost every heel had one. So im on board to see that again.

Cewsh
May 11th, 2011, 11:50 PM
I like the idea of more managers, but bear in mind that that story was run by Daniel Pena, and isn't based on anything except the fact that there's more than one manager around for once.

mth
May 12th, 2011, 12:21 AM
There were recent rumblings of Estrada possibly coming back. I remember reading and commenting on it in the news/notes thread.

But yeah, I'm not sure if I buy the story but I can't deny there is more of a presence of managers with Cole, Vickie, Runjin, possibly Jinder soon, and now Hayes taking the role. I'm down with it.

I definitely think and have been saying for awhile that Cole should move out of the booth and into a full time manager position. Have Lawler finally give him a piledriver and then have him in a neckbrace that he wears FOREVER as the perpetual fake neck injury schtick and have him manage a stable of arrogant jackasses with Swagger, maybe steal Dolph from Vickie, get Byron Saxton in there, somthing like that.

Wouldn't mind James Mitchell being brought in to manage Kharma, for example.

UncannyIowan
May 12th, 2011, 1:10 AM
I most definitely like the idea of the WWE adding more managers/valets. With 2 brands it's definitely possible without over doing it.

Michael Hayes with Tyson Kidd will hopefully turn out better than the last 2 managers Tyson's had with him. Seems WWE has high hopes but something about him I guess they feel requires a manager....yet Natalya and the big guy didn't really add or subtract much from Kidd.

James Mitchell is by far one of the best managers of all time and extremely underrated. WCW, ECW, TNA, let's get this guy to the WWE and tear it down.

Managers have been a lost art. However, sometimes theres cases where managers overshadow the superstars. Vickie and Dolph is a great example of that.

I think that has more to do with the fact that when Dolph was on his own he was just pretty bland minus the ring work. With Vickie it adds more to his character. I honestly think of Shawn Michaels and Sherri when I see those 2. Not that they are identical, just a similar situation. So please don't read that as me saying Dolph=HBK because that'll never happen.

Really though, Vickie makes everyone better. Chavo, Edge, Dolph, she is so amazing it's absurd. She could probably be a Hall of Famer based on the fact she's been able to get more heat than practically any heel in the last decade....possibly the most over heel since the days of when fans would riot when the Russian would win against an American.

Ravid
May 12th, 2011, 5:34 AM
Managers are awesome.

Heenan Family was a great stable with Bobby as the manager!

There is definately nothing wrong with having them about, will certainly help some of the less vocal superstars "get over".

Someone mentioned about Sin Cara in a post yesterday about him not making it, ok at the moment he is baby face, but if they ever did turn him heel, you would have the mystique of the masked wrestler with an evil manager and that would work fine.

Some of the biggest heels in history never needed to talk, think its easy to get caught up in Smarky forums and expect maineveters to be "the complete" package, when other things still work.

Ochoa
May 12th, 2011, 7:40 AM
Heenan Family wasn't a stable. A stable is where they keep horses!

As for James Mitchell..... he should come out and say "Welcome to Inside the Actors Studio. I'm your host James Lipton."

Matty C
May 12th, 2011, 9:19 AM
I've been a consistent proponent of managers for years. There is no reason for a talented wrestler to struggle purely because he's lacklustre on the mic. Managers are a proven way to accentuate a wrestler's strengths and hide his weaknesses.

I hope the article is accurate, although it would seem highly questionable based on its source.

Still, some people who I think could use managers:

Swagger - Cole full time, get him out of the booth
Mason Ryan – Any manager would work with him.
John Morrison – terribly in need of one… a female that can talk would be preferable. Imagine a heel Morrison with Vickie? Superstar.
Daniel Bryan – turn him into beastly heel wrestling machine released on faces by his manager. Paul Heyman would have been perfect for him.
Every new kid they bring up that can't talk – seriously, latching onto an established manager is a great way for good young talent to ease into the big time.

And on Ziggler, that guy couldn't get arrested before Vickie. He's a great in-ring talent but nothing else about him stands out enough for him to have risen like he has without Vickie. To say she overshadows him now is to completely ignore the fact that he's only where he is because of the massive amounts of heat Vickie has brought him.

Also, regarding Punk, if Punk wants time off from wrestling and travel having him manage people is obvious. He's already shown multiple times what he can do as the leader of a faction, he's just doing it while wrestling at the same time right now. Bottom line: CM Punk can do everything better than you.

Not me though.

the_man_diva
May 12th, 2011, 9:47 AM
If true, I'd love to see a couple more managers ... and hell, some more stables and REAL tag teams; but I really don't want them overdoing it, you know? Too much of a good thing takes away from how special managers can be.

I'm pretty much loving all the pairings we have so far. We have:

Ricardo/ADR
Maryse/Teddy
Hayes/Kidd
A-Ri/Miz
Vickie/Dolph
Cole/Swagger
Brie/Nikki

Some pairings I wouldn't mind seeing would be:

Tamina back with The Uso's.
Natalya back with Kidd.
McIntyre and Kelly officially an item (KK used as more of a valet than anything).
If Luke wins "Tough Enough," have Cole be his manager.
CM Punk managing Mason Ryan.
Rosa Mendes valeting for ADR.
William Regal with Daniel Bryan.
Heel JoMo with Melina ... Face JoMo with Eve Torres.

Matt Striker is an amazing talker, I love him on commentary but think he'd be great as a manager again; Jim Ross would be an awesome manager too, I think ... or Joey Styles. Or hell, if you're looking to pull Lawler out of the commentating seat, he'd work too! I actually think Lawler would be a great manager for either a heel or face JoMo! With Scott Stanford, Todd Grisham, Josh Matthews, and Booker T. around, there's obviously no shortage of commentators.

As far as bringing in outside people ...

James Mitchell, obviously; I'd love to see him manage Kharma.
Ivory, the greatest talker in Divas history.
Bring back Paul Bearer.
What about Rima from "Tough Enough"?
Sunny says she wants one more run; I'm not a fan, but if she gets a reaction, why not?

Kure
May 12th, 2011, 9:50 AM
I've always said WWE is really missing the boat by not making Arn Anderson an old school manager. He can talk, and could really help some one get over. He could be a great fit for someone like McGillicutty or Husky Harris.

Hell, if Arn came out, cut a promo for McGillicutty, I'd mark out. Here's how it happens in my head.

Mike, I promised your daddy years ago I'd watch out for you. I see you out here with Nexus, and it makes me sick. Your embarassing yourself, getting beat down by your own team as an "initiation?" Horseshit. Did you ever see the 4 Horsemen beating each other to a pulp just to say they were Horsemen? NO! Because being a Horseman was about class and kicking ass, not getting your ass kicked, and that is what Nexus has been doing, getting their asses kicked. You are better than that. You are the son of "Mr. Perfect" Curt Hennig. You are the grandson of Larry "The Axe" Hennig. You are a Hennig. Stand up and show some respect to your family, to your legacy, and to your self.

Then we ditch the McGillicutty name and all is right with the world. Arn does the talking, Hennig is decent in the ring, and he could have a nice little feud with the other members of Nexus while trying to get out, CM Punk saying that once you are in Nexus, you are in Nexus for life. You can't just leave, walking in and out, whenever you feel like.

This leads to matches with Otunga, Mason Ryan, and maybe CM Punk. Perhaps we even get an Arn Anderson Spinebuster on Punk at some point. Ryan hits him from behind. Nexus is beating down on Anderson and Hennig. Suddenly, the return of Husky Harris. Harris cleans house, and joins Hennig under Arn Anderson's wing as Windham Rotunda.

Okay, I got a little carried away in there. But yes, Arn Anderson. Manager.

Kure
May 12th, 2011, 9:53 AM
Matt Striker is an amazing talker, I love him on commentary but think he'd be great as a manager again;

I would love Striker as a manager, if only I didn't want him to wrestle again. I really think WWE has missed something in Striker. I've always thought he was a decent all around worker and a great talker. He could have been a bigger draw than he was.

Kneeneighbor
May 12th, 2011, 10:16 AM

Daivari and Estrada were both fantastic managers. Jinder Mahal has been rumored for something similar to a managerial role.

I'd love for them to take a guy like Curt Hawkins, and have him manage a big man who does his dirty work for him.

It is okay when a manager overshadows the wrestler. You can still set up great feuds by having a face battle against the heel manager's group of guys.

Bad Collin
May 12th, 2011, 10:32 AM
I've always said WWE is really missing the boat by not making Arn Anderson an old school manager. He can talk, and could really help some one get over. He could be a great fit for someone like McGillicutty or Husky Harris.

Hell, if Arn came out, cut a promo for McGillicutty, I'd mark out. Here's how it happens in my head.

Mike, I promised your daddy years ago I'd watch out for you. I see you out here with Nexus, and it makes me sick. Your embarassing yourself, getting beat down by your own team as an "initiation?" Horseshit. Did you ever see the 4 Horsemen beating each other to a pulp just to say they were Horsemen? NO! Because being a Horseman was about class and kicking ass, not getting your ass kicked, and that is what Nexus has been doing, getting their asses kicked. You are better than that. You are the son of "Mr. Perfect" Curt Hennig. You are the grandson of Larry "The Axe" Hennig. You are a Hennig. Stand up and show some respect to your family, to your legacy, and to your self.

Then we ditch the McGillicutty name and all is right with the world. Arn does the talking, Hennig is decent in the ring, and he could have a nice little feud with the other members of Nexus while trying to get out, CM Punk saying that once you are in Nexus, you are in Nexus for life. You can't just leave, walking in and out, whenever you feel like.

This leads to matches with Otunga, Mason Ryan, and maybe CM Punk. Perhaps we even get an Arn Anderson Spinebuster on Punk at some point. Ryan hits him from behind. Nexus is beating down on Anderson and Hennig. Suddenly, the return of Husky Harris. Harris cleans house, and joins Hennig under Arn Anderson's wing as Windham Rotunda.

Okay, I got a little carried away in there. But yes, Arn Anderson. Manager.

I would love that too, but it would get boring chants from the Cena kiddies.

Tugboat
May 12th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Someone get into the managerial role for Chris Masters. Maybe Cole? Having Swagger, McIntyre and Masters in one stable = Dynamite

Kure
May 12th, 2011, 10:42 AM
I was in a seminar with Colt Cabana once where he said what is old is new. He had been talking about intigrating some old school chain wrestling into his matches because some of the newer generation has never really seen it.

At some point, if you bring old school back, it will seem like something new, rather than just something old.

Bad Collin
May 12th, 2011, 10:46 AM
True, but I don't think the same principle applies to history and past characters.

Derek
May 12th, 2011, 11:00 AM
I think Jericho would be a great manager once his in-ring days are behind him.

JRSlim21
May 12th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Jericho was awesome as Barrett's mentor on NXT.

I always found it funny. Vince & creative frown upon managers, or should I say barely active wrestlers, considering:

Hassan & Daivari were heat magnets.
Estrada put Umaga over the top.
He made Don Callis a manager because he thought he would get over easier.
Vince is arguably among the best ever in this role that help spark the corporation.

Cewsh
May 12th, 2011, 12:41 PM
In fairness, Daivari was totally unneccesary to Hassan.

Dubya
May 12th, 2011, 1:07 PM
Abraham Washington could be brought back up. I think Arn Anderson is a better choice for the old-school face manager than Hayes, but whatever. Hayes did manage the Hardys. I'm in favor of it, I've missed managers in WWE for a long time.

God I would love that. I really liked Abe and I miss him. I'd love for him to end up being the GM if that story ever ends .. but that would probably be pretty underwhelming for a lot of people.

Managers are good idea for obvious reasons. I don't think Cole has really gotten Swagger over that much, to be honest. People may dislike him a little more, but it seems to me that they still don't really give a shit about him at all and are more focused on Cole. I think Cole actually steals Swagger's thunder instaed of enhancing it.

williamp78
May 12th, 2011, 1:08 PM
I'd rather see CM Punk back in the commentary booth than as a manager (though obviously i'd like to see him in a half decent feud in the ring!). This would release cole to be a heel manager.

Sadly I get the feeling Punk wants out for a while; not part time.

mth
May 12th, 2011, 1:10 PM
I forgot to chime in I fully support Abe Washington coming back up to be a manager for someone. :yes:

Mazer
May 12th, 2011, 2:24 PM
God I would love that. I really liked Abe and I miss him. I'd love for him to end up being the GM if that story ever ends .. but that would probably be pretty underwhelming for a lot of people.

Managers are good idea for obvious reasons. I don't think Cole has really gotten Swagger over that much, to be honest. People may dislike him a little more, but it seems to me that they still don't really give a shit about him at all and are more focused on Cole. I think Cole actually steals Swagger's thunder instaed of enhancing it.

I agree with this. I've seen comments about seeing Cole helping Swagger, but I really don't see where Swagger had come off any better in this feud. To me, he's still a bit player.

I actually think Cole is poor at putting over talent in general. Some people can build themslves will simultaneously making the other person look credible. Cole seems to lack this ability.

Also the thought of him constantly at ringside, yelling the same damn phrase over and over again, makes me want to get up and turn on a tv, jsut so I can change the channel.

mth
May 12th, 2011, 3:28 PM
COME ON JACK PUNISH HIM JACK COME ON JACK PUNISH HIM JACK COME ON JACK COME ON JACK PUNISH HIM PUNISH HIM COME ON JACK COME ON JACK

Yeah, that's a bit grating. I'd rather he say it at ringside than in the booth, though.

Mazer
May 12th, 2011, 4:47 PM
I agree about the preference.

Another answer might be to say it 3 or 4 times, and either pause or change phrases. I jsut don't see Michael Cole raising someone else's level. I mean King's jokes are corny, but he basically throws him under the bus. Dude wouldn't even sell some of the Rock's phrases. Aside from the fact that he keeps attention on himself during matches...I know some feel differently, but I don't see hi getting somene else over.

JRSlim21
May 12th, 2011, 10:54 PM
COME ON JACK PUNISH HIM JACK COME ON JACK PUNISH HIM JACK COME ON JACK COME ON JACK PUNISH HIM PUNISH HIM COME ON JACK COME ON JACK

Yeah, that's a bit grating. I'd rather he say it at ringside than in the booth, though.

This.

There's a difference between blowing a whistle all match and shouting through a megaphone. Once Cole learns to lean toward the megaphone, he'll be fine

Motherboy
May 14th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Yeah, but if he got a saxophone...

The Ricochet
May 14th, 2011, 1:29 PM
Saddest thing in the world about this? That it breaks not all that long after the death of Larry Sweeney.

There are so many guys on the indies who can talk, take bumps, any number of managerial type things, but who don't quite have the physique or the size WWE insists on. This could open up loads of possibilities if they get serious about it, and maybe even commit a part of developmental to training a class of these guys. Hell, if they're really serious about it, we could see what I would otherwise consider an unthinkable possibility before - guys like Nana, Kevin Steen, or Shane Hagadorn in the WWE.

Or imagine Colt Cabana doing his own version of the Grand Wizard...

Sparky
May 14th, 2011, 1:48 PM
Scotty Goldman would've been an incredible scumbag manager.

The Ricochet
May 15th, 2011, 2:18 PM
Scotty Goldman would've been an incredible scumbag manager.

Not to stereotype, but I could totally see him doing late night lawyer ads for his managerial services in little vingettes.

"You need a manager that's good. How good? AS GOOD AS GOLDMAN!"

*points*

Boom. 1 Million Buys.

Nash Diesel
December 18th, 2013, 2:18 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/top-10-retired-pro-wrestlers-39-d-great-161700234--spt.html

Cool article on Yahoo today about the top 10 retired wrestlers who would make great managers. I honestly agree with every single person on this list and a few have already been solid in that role. I wouldn't be negative to seeing a new Million $ Corporation or Jake the Snake managing some wrestlers. Back in the day it seemed like the managers were usually vets of the sport or very knowledgable and would not only guide them from a storyline aspect but also outside of the ring. Some wrestlers need more than a mouth piece. Kind of like when you hear Curtis Axel talk about his time with Heyman and how much input he would give Axel.

Kneeneighbor
December 18th, 2013, 2:34 PM
I actually like only about three guys off that list

Xtreme Rebel
December 18th, 2013, 3:03 PM
Honorable mentions for: Iron Sheik, Shawn Michaels, Harley Race, Ron Simmons, Ricky Steamboat, Lance Storm

But nothing for Nick Bockwinkel? I know he is up there in age and probably couldn't bump anymore (same for Sheik and Race), but man could he talk.

The Law
December 18th, 2013, 3:20 PM
Some progress on this front in the past two years (whatever happened with Michael Hayes managing Tyson Kidd?), but not as much as I'd hoped. Obviously, we have Zeb Coulter. And he's fantastic. We've had Heyman, although he's gone away for right now (he'll be back when Brock is). We have El Torito, but I would consider him more of a mascot than a manager. Cameron and Naomi are really more valets than managers, but they definitely helped Brodus and I think they'll help Xavier Woods too. Summer Rae with Fandango, Tamina with AJ. All good uses of managers/valets.

I desperately wish they'd use some of the random non-wrestling personalities on the show as managers. Vickie Guerrero, Brad Maddox, Booker T, JBL, Ricardo, David Otunga, Teddy Long. JBL is the biggest one that stands out to me as a guy who would be an amazing manager. Let him run the new version of the Million Dollar Corporation. Give him Wade Barrett, Drew McIntyre, and the Prime Time Players (or just Titus O'Neil).

OD50
December 18th, 2013, 3:50 PM
I'm warming up to Sylvester Lefort. He's kind of like Jimmy Hart mixed with The Grand Wizard, or something like that. Him and Scott Dawson is such an odd pairing though.

Nash Diesel
December 18th, 2013, 3:59 PM
I don't really consider Tamina a manager. She wrestles more than AJ does. She's like a bodyguard for hire type, even moreso than Diesel was to HBK. El Torito is definitely more of a mascot type like Dink was to Doink or Rocky was to LOD.

JRSlim21
December 18th, 2013, 9:33 PM
I'm warming up to Sylvester Lefort. He's kind of like Jimmy Hart mixed with The Grand Wizard, or something like that. Him and Scott Dawson is such an odd pairing though.

I forgot who wrote that LeFort was the love child of Jimmy Hart and Macho Man.

I need Otunga on my TV. He'd make Clarence Mason an after thought moreso than he already is.

I still stick by Jericho as another great mouthpiece that could get someone over.

chatty
December 19th, 2013, 7:24 AM
Regal should defo be brought in at somepoint - especially as there are eight Brits now on the roster.

Jake would be fantastic but I'm not sure if the road is the best place for him and I'm sure Vince and co would be skeptical on taking a risk on someone who has had alcohol and drug problems to the extent Jake has and putting him in a major role, that said he's probably a better talker than anyone on the whole roster still and has a great aura about him. I think he would instantly get someone over or lots of heat though.

Dibiase would be good but it didn't work too well when thye brought him back with junior.

Most of the other names are too over for me. I think guys like Austin and Shawn would actually take the shine of the people they were managing to an extent.

Cold_Hearted_Truth
December 19th, 2013, 9:29 AM
Granted he's in a different company right now, but I think Christopher Daniels could be a tremendous manager.

OD50
December 19th, 2013, 1:28 PM
I forgot who wrote that LeFort was the love child of Jimmy Hart and Macho Man.

That definitely sounds like something I would say..