PDA

View Full Version : The X-Files

terencestamp7
January 20th, 2011, 7:25 PM
I'm currently watching season one on Netflix. I have about four or five episodes left. I love this show. It's legitimately creepy. Not sure about the later seasons. I saw a few episodes during it's original run back in 93/94, but I wasn't a huge follower. That could be because I was 10 and 11 then.

My favorite episode has to be the one with Brad Dourif. Phenomenal!

Any other fans here? Are the later seasons good? What season is the episode with that guy who played a ghost in Ghost? Vincent something.

Tempest
January 20th, 2011, 7:27 PM
Post season 5 the quality drops a lot, but i've always really loved season 8.

The last season was just a mess though.

The_Mike
January 20th, 2011, 7:46 PM
It really is a great show with a lot of very strong episodes and an amazing overarching atmosphere... until season 5 or 6, where it seems to just fall off a cliff. You still get the occasional stand-out episode, but from then on the cohesion is totally lost and never regained. I do love classic X-Files though.

Craig T. Nelson
January 21st, 2011, 1:07 AM
It's worth it to watch all the way through season 8. 9 is a disaster.

Beer-Belly
January 21st, 2011, 1:34 AM
I was a huge fan as a kid. Once Duchovny left I checked out. The series deserved a better send off.

Guy
January 21st, 2011, 3:31 AM
I've never watched an episode, was genuinely thinking of getting hold of them next week and starting from scratch now that I'm older and more of a dork.

Wooooo
January 22nd, 2011, 1:38 PM
I've seen just about every episode now, apart from the last series. WHAT A CROCK OF SHIT.

Something creapy happens.
Shit not very special effects
"WHAT WOULD MULDER DO?"
Something else happens
"WOULD MULDER DO THIS?"
Something shit happens
"MULDER WOULD HAVE SEEN THAT?"

rinse repeat

But until that final series I have adored every episode

BIGFEETS
January 22nd, 2011, 2:12 PM
Duchovny and company want to do a third X-Files film, but the big hurdle is getting Fox to go for it.

The last movie was not bad, but a lot of people wanted it to fall into the alien invasion story arc. Releasing a film next year playing into the whole 2012 end of times theme would be the way to go.

Or, simply do a special on TV. Either way, it would be nice to have a proper send off.

Jimmy Zero
January 22nd, 2011, 2:34 PM
Blood, I seriously can't believe you've never seen this show. You need to get on that.

I was a mega fan of this show when it first aired (up until Mulder left). The stand alone episodes are, for me, much much more memorable than the alien invasion shit. The episode with Gio Ribisi, the inbreed family one (easily one of the creepiest hours of television I've ever seen), the one with the black detective from Law and Order about the negro leagues, and tons more. For a solid 5 or so years, this was one of the best shows on television.

Chris
January 22nd, 2011, 2:40 PM
I've always wanted to get the X-Files on DVD, having watched bits and pieces of it when it aired. Given what the show is about, I should think it would be something I'd really enjoy. But I don't want to start buying the boxsets only to find that it gets really bad as the series go on.

I guess I'll liken it to Frasier (not the best comparison, given the nature of the shows). For me, Frasier peaked in season 4. Later seasons were either good, more dramatic than comedic or sometimes just not very funny at all (parts of seasons 8 and 9 in particular). I notice the drop in quality, but I wouldn't say it's enough to make a particular boxset a waste of money.

Do the later seasons of the X Files just not match the standard of the first few, or does the show become absolute rubbish towards the end? I know there are on-going plots along with the monster-of-the-week format, so I wouldn't want to stop watching at a certain point if some of those plots weren't properly resolved yet.

Jimmy Zero
January 22nd, 2011, 2:44 PM
Just get netflix and watch it on netflix instant. Problem solved.

Guy
January 22nd, 2011, 3:06 PM
Blood, I seriously can't believe you've never seen this show. You need to get on that.

I was a mega fan of this show when it first aired (up until Mulder left). The stand alone episodes are, for me, much much more memorable than the alien invasion shit. The episode with Gio Ribisi, the inbreed family one (easily one of the creepiest hours of television I've ever seen), the one with the black detective from Law and Order about the negro leagues, and tons more. For a solid 5 or so years, this was one of the best shows on television.

Well I was 6 when it first aired, and was only 14 when it finished.

My viewing habits went from cartoons to Buffy and WWE in that time frame. A show where the two lead characters are suited up FBI agents just never appealed to me at those ages.

However I'm far more inclined to watch them now, even a tad excited of the prospect of discovering a classic series that I genuinely have NO knowledge about other than the names of the main characters.

Mills
January 22nd, 2011, 3:06 PM
I scored the seasons at 10 a piece, great run of television there.

Jimmy Zero
January 22nd, 2011, 3:21 PM
Well I was 6 when it first aired, and was only 14 when it finished.

My viewing habits went form cartoons to Buffy and WWE in that time frame. A show where the two lead characters are suited up FBI agents just never appealed to me at those ages.

However I'm far more inclined to watch them now, even a tad excited of the prospect of discovering a classic series that I genuinely have NO knowledge about other than the names of the main characters.

Shit, some times I forget that I trend towards the older posters on this forum (I'm 28). You'll love the first several seasons. The later seasons (once Mulder is gone) kind of feel like LOST's later seasons in that it started to become very apparent that the writers really didn't know where they were going with the overall story (in X-Files case, the alien invasion conspiracy) and it just went from interesting sci fi/fantasy to convoluted bullshit.

That's not to say you should just give up after Mulder leaves, because Robert Patrick is awesome and Mimi Rogers has big tits, but the quality of the show is definitely not on par with the first several seasons. In fairness, those weren't just good shows, they were consistently some of the best episodic tv going at the time.

You know what, I'm going to plow through the X-Files entire series now. My interest has been renewed and they're already in my queue.

The_Mike
January 22nd, 2011, 3:59 PM
The last movie was not bad, but a lot of people wanted it to fall into the alien invasion story arc. Releasing a film next year playing into the whole 2012 end of times theme would be the way to go.

Put in spoilers in case Blood gets around to watching it:

December 21st 2012 is the date of the alien invasion in the X-Files universe as well, so it definitely would be a good plan to have a film about it and to capitalise on general public interest in that date just now.

Guy
January 22nd, 2011, 6:43 PM
I'm literally going to start watching them as of this week, Season 1 is currently 25% COMPLETELY AND LEGALLY OBTAINED... as we speak.

I appreciate the spoiler tags :yes:

Beefy
January 26th, 2011, 6:33 AM
People say that it dropped off in quality after seasons five and six but I still really enjoy the latter episodes. By seasons six and seven the writers and actors knew the characters so well that almost every episode has some fantastic character development and great interaction between Mulder, Scully & Skinner. They also started churning out a lot of 'funny' episodes around those years and I love me some light-hearted X-Files episodes.

The nature of the show changed with Mulder leaving and the last couple of seasons are very different and personally I find them a lot less enjoyable.

Tempest
January 26th, 2011, 7:25 AM
Season 8 is actually one of my favourites. I think Anderson really stepped up and Robert Patrick's character was great. I enjoyed the change of dynamic a lot. It's just season 9 where it became a giant mess and even the final episode was all over the place.

I quite liked the last movie, but definitely would like them to do another one which ties into the mythology of the show and finally brings some closure to everything.

JIJ
January 26th, 2011, 7:54 AM
I will one day get around to buying the entire collection of X-Files and watching them all in order. One of the best shows ever.

Pete Cash
January 26th, 2011, 8:11 AM
I just did that recently. I always thought the Tooms episode was later in the series but its like episode three. Classic episode that one.

Tempest
January 26th, 2011, 8:12 AM
I still get creeped out watching the Tooms episodes at night. Great stuff

JIJ
January 26th, 2011, 8:12 AM
I love the later episodes too, Reyes and Doggett were good characters. The whole super soldier thing was excellent.

terencestamp7
January 26th, 2011, 10:48 AM
I still get creeped out watching the Tooms episodes at night. Great stuff

I get creeped out about the Eve episode!

Jimmy Zero
January 29th, 2011, 12:25 PM
I've started my X-Files viewing. Man, what a great show. It's crazy how much different Scully was at the beginning of the series, even compared with how she is later in the first season and on to the second season. She's so "aw shucks" and naive to start.

Also, what about all the inappropriate touching from Mulder? I don't remember him being so touchy feely with Scully in later seasons. In the Tooms episode he practically full on grabs her tits when she's turning around to go somewhere and he grabs at her necklace. Slight creepiness factor from Mulder.

Guy
January 29th, 2011, 4:16 PM
I've done the first episode so far, looking forward to the rest.

terencestamp7
January 29th, 2011, 10:31 PM
I've started my X-Files viewing. Man, what a great show. It's crazy how much different Scully was at the beginning of the series, even compared with how she is later in the first season and on to the second season. She's so "aw shucks" and naive to start.

Also, what about all the inappropriate touching from Mulder? I don't remember him being so touchy feely with Scully in later seasons. In the Tooms episode he practically full on grabs her tits when she's turning around to go somewhere and he grabs at her necklace. Slight creepiness factor from Mulder.

Well, Duchovny is a sex addict, I believe.

Matthew
May 21st, 2011, 12:57 PM
watching the 2008 movie now. scully is still a bitch.

I steal cable
May 21st, 2011, 1:57 PM
I thought the 2008 movie was a lead up to the 2012 movie that MUST happen. They used the 2008 movie for a step up just to say Mulder and Scully were no longer fugitives and such blah blah blah pedo scottish man blah blah blah

Cancer man said the invasion is 2012.... well I fully expect Doggett to save the day then.

lotjx
May 22nd, 2011, 1:37 PM
The movie was a disaster due to how bad they fucked things up in season 9. They should ended with season 8 where you had a lot to play around with. They said there maybe a third one will about 2012, but after how bad the second one did, I don't know. When fans said they wanted a monster of the week movie instead aliens well here you go.

Guy
May 22nd, 2011, 1:52 PM
Just a heads up, I'm somewhere in the middle of Season 2. Took a huge break as I got busy and other things seemed more important, will be getting back on it tonight.

Delta Devil
May 22nd, 2011, 2:28 PM
Gillian Anderson is still the supreme MILF on this planet.

terencestamp7
June 2nd, 2011, 10:37 AM
Just a heads up, I'm somewhere in the middle of Season 2. Took a huge break as I got busy and other things seemed more important, will be getting back on it tonight.

I just finished the episode in season 2 with the volcanic research team. It reminded me very much of the season 1 episode where they went to the arctic. Very similar storyline, just a change in temperature.

Jimmy Zero
June 2nd, 2011, 10:42 AM
I was mid way through season 2 when I took a pretty long break from it, which I'm still doing. It's good, but sometimes the hour long horror movie feel of a lot of the early episodes, for me, makes it harder to sit down and watch 3 or 4 episodes in a row. Scully still has that annoying tag along little sister quality to her, as well. When does that go away? I forget. I seem to remember season 3 is where the show really starts to take off.

terencestamp7
June 2nd, 2011, 10:45 AM
I agree with that. Season 1 I watched quickly, because I was excited about watching the series and Season 1 had some very cool episodes.

However, season 2 I'm finding is dragging. The episodes aren't as good as the first season. I hope it does pick up in season 3.

Guy
June 2nd, 2011, 11:11 AM
Yea I've stopped twice already in Season 2. It's just not jumping for me, which is annoying because everyone bangs on about how good it is, I just want to enjoy it more than I am.

I will get through it in the hope that it improves, also now that I've met and conversed with Robert Patrick I have a new reason to want to push on through to later seasons.

Beefy
June 2nd, 2011, 11:24 AM
Season Two is probably the best season you mentals.

Beefy
June 2nd, 2011, 11:38 AM
Just looking through the episode list; 'The Host' (the one with the mansize worms), 'Blood' (KILL'EM), 'Duane Barry', 'Red Museum' (He is One), 'Die Hand Die Verletzt', 'Humbug' (the Carny episode), 'The Căluşari' (which still freaks me out every time I see it) and 'Our Town' - these are all some of my favourite ever episodes.

Plus it's got more Conspiracy episodes and angles than any other season, with Scully's kidnapping leading to the re-opening of the X Files, leading onto the discovery of the clones and the alien bounty hunter before ending with the brilliant cliff-hanger in 'Anasazi'.

And it had the debuts of Krycek and the Alien Bounty Hunter. The show was red hot this year. In fact the only weak episode, IMO, was the bollocks vampire one the week Gillian Anderson was having her baby.

Guy
June 2nd, 2011, 12:11 PM
...I haven't seen the rest of the season yet.

The_Mike
June 2nd, 2011, 12:14 PM
Beefy is objectively correct. Season 2 was fantastic and so full of great stuff. Every season before Duchovny left was packed with great standalones, but Season 2 built so much momentum for the show.

Beefy
June 2nd, 2011, 12:21 PM
...I haven't seen the rest of the season yet.

There's nothing in my post that I'd consider a spoiler, if that is what you're saying.

The second half of the season is slightly inferior to the first, IMO. To be honest if you're not liking this show at the point you're at then I don't think you'll like it after this.

lotjx
June 2nd, 2011, 1:23 PM
The finale of Season 2 is why people remember it so fondly. They built the mythology in this season as well. Granted they also created villains that seem to last forever, too. I actually like the vampire one, because it was so fucking crazy.

blackening
June 2nd, 2011, 2:43 PM
I think Arcadia from Season 6 is my favorite episode. I loved the story and enjoyed Scully and Mulder pretending to be a couple.

YouTube - ‪X files Arcadia‬‏

Beefy
June 2nd, 2011, 2:46 PM
Yes! That was a great one.

I just watched the one with the genie at the end of Season 7 where the guy makes himself invisible and then gets brought back to life by his brother.

Tempest
June 8th, 2011, 2:13 PM
I always forget how Krycek is just about my favourite villain ever. Every time you think he's about to do something redeemable, he finds a new layer of filth.

I had been on a run through of the show again recently and stopped halfway through season 4 for some reason, which is odd as I really love the 4th and 5th seasons. I want to get back into it again, but can't decide whether to start from the beginning again or not. What I love about the show is every time I watch it through (and man, it's been a LOT of times over the past 6 or 7 years), I seem to pick up something I didn't before.

Beefy
June 8th, 2011, 2:31 PM
I'm about to start season 8 in my latest run through.

Tempest
June 8th, 2011, 2:36 PM
I really love the dynamic in the 8th season. It just feels fresh with Scully taking over the role of the believer and when Mulder returns it gets even better. I don't love the super soldier arc, but everything around is great and Anderson gives what I always thought was her best performance in the season. I love the ending too, just a shame it fell to bits the following year with Duchovny fucking off again.

Murphy
June 12th, 2011, 8:58 AM
Currently, I'm watching The Sopranos, Blue Bloods, Six Feet Under and Boardwalk Empire.

I have seasons 1 and 2 of The X-Files on DVD and will get to them after. I enjoyed the show originally, but was too young to really appreciate it. And I only saw most of seasons 1-3. Caught a bit of 9, which I enjoyed.

Look forward to it.

lotjx
June 12th, 2011, 9:47 AM
Season 8 should have been the end of X-Files. Everything ended on a high note and you could easily see them making movies from that point. That season maybe one of the most underrated seasons in all of TV. The show actually got a good storyline for the entire season which seemed to hurt them in past seasons.

Guy
June 12th, 2011, 10:41 AM
I'm still on Season 2, but I've started back up again recently.

Actually genuinely enjoyed the past three episodes, one about town full of carnies, one about a demon killer twin and another about a contagious puss filled exploding face virus.

The last one was completely disgusting, the carnie one was just one the right side of surreal (could've easily gone right into territory that was far too surreal, but thankfully did not) and the demon child one came off like a less energetic Sam Raimi episode in some of the scenes.

Guy
June 12th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Actually, and annoyingly because it's practically the whole purpose of the show, I think the ones I dislike the most are the more "everything is a shady shady government alien conspiracy" episodes.

Mainly because I get bored of watching Mulder run up to someone shouting "Why are you covering things up, what aren't you telling me, the public need to know" blah blah. I don't find that half as engaging as the separate "monster of the week" type of episodes, there's only so much "You don't know who/what you're dealing with, this is way bigger than you" type of dialogue I can take before I start losing interest in it.

Excel
June 12th, 2011, 11:40 AM
I always preferred the monster of the week episodes.

terencestamp7
June 14th, 2011, 7:53 PM
Here's a fun fact I've discovered while watching this.

Steven Williams, who plays Mr. X, and Mitch Pileggi, who plays Skinner, co-starred most recently in season 6 of Supernatural.

lotjx
June 14th, 2011, 8:59 PM
The problem with the government conspiracies is that you couldn't do much with the endgame. Monster of the week, you could kill it, allow it to escape, but wound to the point it won't return or beat it yet no one believes you. I know they wanted X-Files to fit in the real world, but in the real world Mulder would have been killed before they even thought about putting Scully with him or they would have discredited both of them at the end of year one. Chris Carter didn't have a Bible, so the grand mythos of the show at times didn't mesh. It really needed to be five seasons with the occasional downfall of a senator or someone to give you at least some hope they were winning instead falling back to square one after every two parter or three parter.. I would have had Mulder kill CSM when Scully was returned after her abduction.

Jimmy Zero
June 14th, 2011, 9:04 PM
Dude, what? Why are you judging the show based on what would happen in the real world if some random FBI agent started asking too many questions?

Seems a bit odd, when none of the show is based in reality in the first place.

Fanny
June 14th, 2011, 9:29 PM
there was always the largely unconcluded arc of Mulder having some important part to play toward a vaccine/virus against the invasion, be it whether he was some form of hybrid or genetically predisposed to being immune to the black oil, which may explain why he was never just whacked

BIGFEETS
June 15th, 2011, 1:07 AM
I always wanted them to bring back Deep Throat (excluding the dream or memory sequences) to either become Mulder and Scully's ultimate enemy or better yet, end the series with him helping them out at the end for a possible movie set up.

Yeah, I know he died at the end of Season One, but I always thought they could have pulled some sort of swerve.

Beefy
June 15th, 2011, 4:26 AM
I'm motoring through Season Eight at the moment and enjoying it immensely. I've probably only seen these episodes once or maybe twice before so they're still mostly very new to me. They're all well written and the Scully/Doggett works better than logic suggests that it should. It would be nice to have some lighter episodes thrown in now and then amongst the monster, slug-worsphiping cultists and serial killers though.

lotjx
June 15th, 2011, 7:47 AM
Dude, what? Why are you judging the show based on what would happen in the real world if some random FBI agent started asking too many questions?

Seems a bit odd, when none of the show is based in reality in the first place.

No, the show tried to base itself in the real world. In the movie that even bring up Waco and Ruby Ridge which only happened a few years before. The lines were meant to cement it in the real world. I am saying the show liked to play this game of trying to be set in the real world while at the same time having FBI agents run around that ask too many questions while not being outright killed or thrown out. They liked to have their cake and eat it too. For me, I would rather they drifted away from the real world news stuff and did their own thing like having a Senator fall from grace, because they covered something up or have a member of Congress expose a conspiracy.

The real problem with the alien conspiracy is once it was revealed to be real then the show is over or I think that is what the show thought. Yet, they are doing arcs about coming invasions and so on. Eventually, you would think someone with some power would let it out just to prepare humanity. Yet, the show did a good job of showing that the Consortium was doing that to some degree yet at the same time surrendered. After the Consortium was burned alive, still the best scene in the show, the truth should have gotten out. It didn't and we are left with a mess of season 6 and 7 where the government is still suppressing them, but its CSM who can easily be taken out with a bullet or has Krycheck showed us thrown down a flight of stairs.

As for Mulder's endgame. At times, I think its really Samantha who is supposed to stop the Invasion. Yet, I have no idea since they really screwed that up with hinting Samantha was killed by a serial child molester or some nonsense. David has said if there is a third one it will the 2012 Invasion and wrap everything up. I hope they do a third, but after how bad X-Files 2 was, I just don't see it happening.

Beefy
June 15th, 2011, 8:01 AM
Mulder wasn't just another agent though. He had friends in high places protecting him and his Father was a part of the conspiracy, and then there was CSM's relationship with his family. CSM often said that they couldn't kill Mulder for fear of turning one man on a crusade into a Martyr. Plus the families of both Mulder and Scully paid huge prices in various attempts to dissuade them both from the road that they were on.

I agree on the ending of the Samantha story. I didn't like that at all.

Guy
June 15th, 2011, 8:21 AM
I'm not going to read your conversation. I'm not going to read your conversation. I'm not going to read your conversation. I'm not going to read your conversation. I'm not going to read your conversation. I'm not going to read your conversation. I'm not going to read your conversation. I'm not going to read your conversation. I'm not going to read your conversation. I'm not going to read your conversation. I'm not going to read your conversation. I'm not going to read your conversation.

lotjx
June 15th, 2011, 9:04 AM
I just wished they would have said why his death would lead to a Crusade. Besides Scully, Skinner and the Lone Gunmen who was going to fight back against them. I agree his Dad being part of the conspiracy saved his life, but they even killed his Dad, so why not kill him? It just didn't make a lot of sense at times on why they couldn't kill Mulder. Yeah, the Samantha thing was just so out there.

Guy, stop being a twat. You wasted as much time writing that Shinning rip-off sentence then you would have if you read it. You sound like this "Oh, God something is long to read, I am on the internet how dare they force me to read more then one paragraph. It can't be done I tell you. I am getting the vapors, someone hand me some sweet tea before I faint."

Beefy
June 15th, 2011, 9:07 AM
He doesn't want to read it because of spoilers. He's only on Season Two.

As for Mulder and why CMS said that He was his real Dad, wasn't he?

lotjx
June 15th, 2011, 9:17 AM
Oh, well. Should have watched in the first or second or fifth run of the show. Anyway, I don't think he was his Dad. I think its a fake out then we get Spendor who was really a waste of time. CSM's speech to Spendor at the end of Spendor's run makes it sound like Fox's father really was his father and CSM was Spendor's real father. At least that is what I got out of it.

Beefy
June 15th, 2011, 9:19 AM
Good point. Either way he clearly had strong ties to the Mulder family.

Guy
June 15th, 2011, 10:00 AM
Guy, stop being a twat. You wasted as much time writing that Shinning rip-off sentence then you would have if you read it. You sound like this "Oh, God something is long to read, I am on the internet how dare they force me to read more then one paragraph. It can't be done I tell you. I am getting the vapors, someone hand me some sweet tea before I faint."

I could give you a massively insulting tirade of a sentence here. But in all honesty you've embarrassed yourself more than I could hope to.

Oh, well. Should have watched in the first or second or fifth run of the show. Anyway, I don't think he was his Dad. I think its a fake out then we get Spendor who was really a waste of time. CSM's speech to Spendor at the end of Spendor's run makes it sound like Fox's father really was his father and CSM was Spendor's real father. At least that is what I got out of it.

I was six when The X-Files started.

Six.

Either way I haven't actually asked you to spoiler what you're talking about (though I appreciate you doing so there Beefers BTW). I was merely willing myself not to read through everything you guys were talking about even though I would like to.

Everybody has to watch something for the first time at some point.

lotjx
June 15th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Six, fuck I watched Dallas when I was six and understood most of it. Quit using your age as a handicap.

terencestamp7
June 15th, 2011, 10:10 AM
I don't even remember being 6.

Guy
June 15th, 2011, 10:13 AM
I remember seeing Jurassic Park on my birthday that year and completely loving it. DINOSAURS!! That's about all I remember of 1993

I definitely was not interested in watching a show about shady government conspiracy theories however.

Jimmy Zero
June 15th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Six, fuck I watched Dallas when I was six and understood most of it. Quit using your age as a handicap.

That's probably because Dallas was made for fucking retards.

Stop being an asshole because he dared to not watch X-Files when he was a toddler.

Fanny
June 15th, 2011, 2:27 PM
is lotjx actually going mental at Guy here for not wanting to read spoilers? :wtf:

Guy
June 15th, 2011, 3:37 PM
I think he thought I was having a go at him, and instead of admitting he was wrong and taking on the chin he just kept going beserk.

Gotta give him credit for sticking with it when there's literally no substance there to be annoyed at. I haven't even complained about people posting spoilers because I acknowledge how old the show is and know full well that any venture into this thread is CLEARLY at my own risk.

lotjx
June 15th, 2011, 4:48 PM
I am more venting on the fact that I hate this spoiler tag craze everyone is on. These shows and movies have been out for a decade or more. Christ, TNT, Fox and other stations ran this show all the time. If you haven't seen this shit, its not my fault and refuse to do this spoiler tag shit for the one or two people who haven't seen it.

Beefy
June 15th, 2011, 5:11 PM
No one has asked you to you weirdo. Calm down.

Guy
June 15th, 2011, 5:23 PM
Ahahaha.

DAMMIT BEEFY STOP ASKING HIM TO TAG HIS SPOILERS

Jimmy Zero
June 15th, 2011, 5:25 PM
Like it's so god damn hard to click the spoiler tag button anyways. Lotjx just sounds like a jerk off.

ANYWAYS

I've finally ended my hiatus and resumed where I left off. I may have to rewatch the second season at some point because, like someone else mentioned, there's a ton of mythology being established and it can become a bit muddled, over the course of a 23, or so, episode season. Still, I really like that I'm finally seeing some development of Scully as a character.

As a semi-related aside, does anyone remember Millenium, with Lance Henricksen? It's not on Netflix Instant, but I'm kind of interested in checking it out. Is it worth it?

Guy
June 15th, 2011, 5:33 PM
The thing with Scully, at where I'm at anyways (towards the arse end of Season 2). Is that at this point she has ACTUALLY SEEN PROOF of aliens and other paranormal/extraterrestrial existence, yet still continues to be completely against the idea whenever Mulder brings it up. It's not as if we're still at the point where Mulder see's everything and Scully conveniently is somewhere else during that 10 second period and misses it (a great chunk of Season 1 there). At the beginning of the show I get that, and I understand wanting to keep the skeptic aspect of her character around for a while before she grows and changes, but at times she just comes off like this weird stubborn woman who completely forgot about the alien DNA she tested the previous week, or the chat she had with her deceased dad when she was on deaths door.

Roadwork
June 15th, 2011, 6:05 PM
As a semi-related aside, does anyone remember Millenium, with Lance Henricksen? It's not on Netflix Instant, but I'm kind of interested in checking it out. Is it worth it?

I have watched all three seasons of Millennium and I would very much recommend it. Lance Henrickson does a great job in the role of Frank Black. On the whole I would say it is a bit darker than the X Files or at least seasons 1 and 3 are with season 2 having a bit more comic relief. For the most part is is more realistic in approach than the X Files with less emphasis on the paranormal and monsters and such and more focus on serial killers and evil in general.

My only complaint is much like with The X Files there are certain episodes that are more mythology based (based around the world ending in the year 2000) and these (for me at least) were often a bit hard to follow.

Beefy
June 15th, 2011, 6:11 PM
Has anyone else got the The Lone Gunmen series on DVD?

lotjx
June 15th, 2011, 6:16 PM
Yes, it was criminally underrated.

Fanny
June 15th, 2011, 8:17 PM
it got critically panned eh? I was always interested in giving it a wee watch. Might try and get my hands on a few eps

lotjx
June 15th, 2011, 8:42 PM
Its a very light hearted show and sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't. Its a nice break from the darkness of X-Files and Millennium. I think calling 9/11 a few months before the attacks as well saying it was done to start a fake war is what really got them canned.

Beefy
October 10th, 2011, 4:40 AM
Finally finished the last few episodes last night. The finale was actually better than I remember it being. I think it needed something to try to tie together all the strands of the conspiracy story at the end and they kind of manage that.

As I put on twitter the other day, I still don't see the point in the 'Jump The Shark' episode. It just seemed to serve no purpose.

Season nine as a whole wasn't terrible but there aren't many episodes I'll look back fondly on. The tone for most of the year is so dark and each episode is a slog so that at the end of one you don't feel like watching another straight away, which isn't a good sign for a show like this.

I'm going to watch the 2008 movie for the first time at some point this week. I picked it up on Blu-Ray about a year ago but I've been holding off to get the TV show finished first.

Guy
October 10th, 2011, 5:36 AM
We got halfway through Season 3, and I don't think we've watched an episode for longer than two months.

:\

The_Mike
October 10th, 2011, 10:56 AM
I'm going to watch the 2008 movie for the first time at some point this week. I picked it up on Blu-Ray about a year ago but I've been holding off to get the TV show finished first.

You could have watched it at any time, since it has pretty much nothing to do with the regular TV show. In fact, I'm kind of confused by where it sits in the timeline, since there are some minor references to the end of the show but at the same time there do not appear to have been any lasting consequences.

I loved the first film, though. I hope they get the budget together for one more big movie that really caps off the whole alien conspiracy story. I remember back in the 90s dreaming that the final episode would probably involve Mulder revealing definitive proof to the world that aliens exist, the government knows about it, and certain forces have been aiding and abetting them in their planned colonisation of Earth. Then he'd probably die, likely to save Scully, but he'd die knowing he started a revolution. I didn't expect the TV show to live out my dream but it meandered for so, so long that I lost interest and now that I have finally seen the end of it, it felt rather flat. After building so much momentum for the first three or four years, it seemed to stall for half a decade, and when the end came the whole story was so convoluted and muddled that there was no clear triumph.

So now I find myself much more drawn to the monster-of-the-week style episodes. They weren't my favourites at the time, but now I find them to be of much more interest than the conspiracy-that-never-ends.

Beefy
October 10th, 2011, 11:04 AM
I always prefered the monster of the week episodes. The conspiracy angle peaked with Scully's abduction.

And I know I could have watched the film - I've seen all the episodes at least twice anyway so I wasn't worried about having anything spoiled - I just wanted to wait.

The_Mike
October 10th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Fair enough, hope you enjoy it. I mostly liked it, but felt it was just a regular episode stretched over 2 hours.

Tempest
October 12th, 2011, 7:39 PM
I'm very much into story arcs, so the whole conspiracy is what holds the interest for me. Although I remember looking it up once and was surprised to find how few episodes actually contribute fully as a mythology offering. I think the biggest let down was that they ended the original conspiracy in season 7 with a silent fart and then tried to create a new one based on the first which just paled.

That said, I still adore season 8.

The second movie is mostly a let down because after so long it is just a stand alone and not a great one at that. I wanted closure, not just a reintroduction to characters that will likely never get closure.

lotjx
October 12th, 2011, 8:32 PM
If there was no season 9, the movie would have done better. I truly believe in their lust for money they killed the Golden Goose. The sad part is David and Gillian want to do a third one and it is supposed to be the Mayan Calendar event. I just don't see it happening.

Tempest
October 12th, 2011, 8:44 PM
Season 9 was so bad because there was no point. Season 8 was about getting Mulder back and then season 9 was sort of about chasing him and sort about moving on. So they didn't build a new guard for the show and Anderson, who had given such a fucking amazing performance the year before seemed drained and uninterested. Then they finally get Mulder back and made such a mess of it.

A third movie could only work if they really had interest in ending the series. The last film felt like Carters way to revive it

Judas Iscariot
October 13th, 2011, 2:28 AM
And then we'll do it doggy style so we can both watch X-Files.

Judas Iscariot
October 13th, 2011, 2:35 AM
I watched this series through when it first came about and was way too young then, grammar school age as it rolled into high school, so I've gotta watch it again as I'm slightly less of an idiot now.

It was my favorite show at the time, though, and I remember it scaring the ever loving shit out of me at some points (Mulder and his sister playing Stratego and then she gets abducted by aliens? or helicopters? Didn't matter, scared the shit out of me when I was a wee lad).

It still scares the shit out of me, because I still like Stratego but can't think about anything other than the fact that the Spy already gets fucked up by everything, but will TOTALLY get fucked up by aliens.

BIGFEETS
October 15th, 2011, 9:21 PM
I have said this before, but I too wish they would do one more film before the end of 2012 to play into the whole Mayan deal.

If anything, perhaps they could do a TV movie on Fox where it all began since it appears they are afraid of a sequel bombing.

Beefy
October 16th, 2011, 5:05 AM
I watched the second film last night. I can see where the criticism comes from. It wasn't bad it just wasn't anything, really. It was a TV movie put out in the cinema for no good reason. Nice to see Mulder and Scully though and I marked out like mad for Big Walter Skinner.

HHHnFoley_Rulez
August 29th, 2013, 8:25 AM
Just found out it's 20 years since X-Files started in 1993 (obviously).

Jesus... :nono:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scnPMpDHmrM

MikeHunt
August 29th, 2013, 8:46 AM
They both look better now than they did 20 fucking years ago! HOW?????

HHHnFoley_Rulez
August 29th, 2013, 9:31 AM
http://www.laddmcintosh.com/i//Evolution.jpg

The_Mike
August 29th, 2013, 10:36 AM
http://tdotcomics.ca/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/aliens-meme.jpg

Beer-Belly
August 29th, 2013, 10:42 AM
I started watching this show again on Netflix to see if it holds up. It does. I was obsessed with it as a kid, but going back and watching it now that I can better comprehend it has been great.

Beefy
August 29th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Oh yeah, it's a great show. Very re-watchable. The fact that most of the show is stand-alone episodes helps as well as you can dip in and out without bothering about THE CONSPIRACY.

HHHnFoley_Rulez
August 29th, 2013, 10:48 AM
I used to enjoy the "monster of the week" - but some were dire... But yeah, it seriously does hold up to todays TV. In it's genre I don't think it's been surpassed to be honest. Not that I can think off the top of my head. Only Fringe came sort-of-close. :dunno: Am I missing one from my brain?

Beer-Belly
August 29th, 2013, 10:53 AM
The "Home" episode is fucked up. I think they only aired that on Fox once and it's easy to see why.

The_Mike
August 29th, 2013, 10:59 AM
The "Home" episode is fucked up. I think they only aired that on Fox once and it's easy to see why.

Oh god, yes. I was pretty stunned they got it on the air at all.

I still haven't seen most of seasons 8 and 9. I don't have a problem with Doggett, but it seems the writing took a pretty serious dip in quality at this point. Is it worth plunging on? I already saw the final episode so I know how it wraps up.

Beer-Belly
August 29th, 2013, 11:04 AM
I pretty much bailed when Duchovny left. They should have just packed it in at the point.

Jarrod1983
August 29th, 2013, 11:11 AM
I watched straight through on Netflix til David left. Had never watched when it was on TV and found the show was excellent-until Duchovny left. Watched a few with Patrick but it is just not the same.

Beefy
August 29th, 2013, 11:22 AM
The show just becomes a bit joyless after Mulder leaves. One of the charms of the show was the black humour and they massively scaled it back in the last two years as they tried to establish the new characters. I actually quite liked the Doggett character.

Atty
August 29th, 2013, 2:18 PM
Oh god, yes. I was pretty stunned they got it on the air at all.

I still haven't seen most of seasons 8 and 9. I don't have a problem with Doggett, but it seems the writing took a pretty serious dip in quality at this point. Is it worth plunging on? I already saw the final episode so I know how it wraps up.

I'd liken it to The Office when Carrel left. There was good stuff here and there and the fill ins tried their best, but it was never going to be the same. Just impossible.

Fro
August 29th, 2013, 5:30 PM
I'm doing a very slow re-watch of The X-Files on Netflix. Re-watch probably isn't even the right word because I've never seen the series in full. I was a casual fan growing up and would watch an episode here or there.

I'm doing about an episode a week. Not for any reason, just that's about as often as I get the urge to watch another episode. I'm only in season 1 now.

lotjx
August 29th, 2013, 8:35 PM
I liked borderline love season 8 due to David;s absence forcing them to do a storyline for the entire season and finishing it. If season 8 was the last season, it would still be a viable franchise. Once season nine undid all the goodwill of season 8, it became borderline dead. The second movie is such a waste.

The_Mike
August 29th, 2013, 8:51 PM
I thought the second movie was ok. Nothing terrible about it, but it's basically a middling MOTW episode stretched over 90 minutes. There was no purpose to putting it in the cinema, so a waste is a pretty good description. I believe they were hoping it would make enough cash to fund a proper ending to the conspiracy arc but it just kind of quietly crept into theatres and wasn't at all written or marketed to excite even the fanbase never mind a casual audience.

Beer-Belly
August 29th, 2013, 8:53 PM
I liked the first movie when I was a kid, but it really is just a glorified TV movie. Never saw the second movie.

Atty
August 29th, 2013, 9:38 PM
I was really into X-Files when it was on but never saw the first movie until a few years ago. Then all I could see was Locke from Lost.

Fro
August 29th, 2013, 9:39 PM
The first movie is great.

The_Mike
August 29th, 2013, 11:21 PM
I loved the first movie. It felt like they really upscaled the TV series into a cinematic experience. The second film really was just a TV movie. A Lifetime TV movie. Fight The Future had shit going down, not to mention black helicopters.

Beer-Belly
August 29th, 2013, 11:42 PM
I just don't remember there being much of a climax. Granted, I haven't seen it in over a decade.

Grimario
August 30th, 2013, 1:22 AM
I would love to sit down and do a watch through. Pretty sure I haven't seen the vast majority of the last 4-5 seasons but fondly remember Wednesday night TV when it was advertised as "paranormal night" or some shit down here.

Thinking about that night... I might have to hunt down the single season of American Gothic as well.

lotjx
August 30th, 2013, 8:23 AM
I like the first movie as well. I know a lot of fans had problems with the bee thing and Scully surviving, but I thought it was very well done. The end was pretty cinematic with the UFO coming through the ice. I did like the ending of Mulder saving Scully while inadvertently causing CSM's base of operations to be destroyed instead of some huge fight at the end. Its a very quiet end of you think about it which fits the show. Well Manicured Man dying in the middle was a really Holy Shit! moment.

Atty
August 30th, 2013, 7:18 PM
See, my main complaint on the first movie isn't much of a complaint, but it was geared towards fans familiar with the show where it could have been more aimed at drawing in new viewers. Really tricky with the show still on the air at the time, but it was made to fit into the story going at the time and that which followed it on the show. If it were more generic, like the second movie, and done as a complete standalone picture, it could have drawn new viewers in.

blackening
December 6th, 2013, 11:01 PM
I've decided to watch this series from the beginning on Netflix. I've watched the first 9 episodes so far, all of which I've never seen before and all very good.

The_Mike
December 6th, 2013, 11:06 PM
It's absolutely fantastic for the first 4 or so seasons. After that it's still almost always very good until Doggett appears. I didn't have a problem with Doggett but at that point the writing basically fell off a cliff. I couldn't watch more than a few episodes before I just skipped to The Truth. Such a shame the network tortured the show for so long.

Mills
December 7th, 2013, 3:00 AM
Doggett was good, Annabelle Gish was trash though

blackening
December 26th, 2013, 6:20 PM
I just finished season 2. I love the big alien mythology episodes like the season 2 finale Anasazi. There's been some really good ones but the monster of the week episodes get a little too fucked up for me sometimes. I skipped two I had no interest in watching. This show has been great so far.

DaSaintFan
December 26th, 2013, 7:48 PM
Doggett was good, Annabelle Gish was trash though

Mills nailed it spot on... Doggett was the perfect "anti-Mulder" character to me (and I have a soft spot for anything Robert Patrick plays in - including "The Last Resort" TV series). But Gish ... no, no, no. Her character and the actress did ZILCH worthwhile for anything of S9...

blackening
February 20th, 2014, 10:01 PM
I just finished season 5. It was really good. Might be my favorite. The first movie aired between season 5 and 6 so I'm watching it again. I'm a huge fan of the first movie.

blackening
May 3rd, 2014, 5:12 PM

I pretty much bailed when Duchovny left. They should have just packed it in at the point.

I watched straight through on Netflix til David left. Had never watched when it was on TV and found the show was excellent-until Duchovny left. Watched a few with Patrick but it is just not the same.
I'm pretty much in the same boat as all of you. I just finished season 8 and skipped a bunch of episodes. I don't give two shits about season 9. Its a shame, this show was so great through the first 7 seasons or so but once Duchovny started missing time it went down the shitter. I really liked Doggett. Reyes was hot but a bit shit.

Fro
March 22nd, 2015, 12:56 AM
So this is apparently very close to being greenlit for a revival with Carter, Duchovny and Anderson all on board. It will reportedly be for a "short order" of under 10 episodes. Hell yea.

Murphy
March 22nd, 2015, 6:29 AM
Oh man. Wish I saw this through to the end. Used to love this programme.

lotjx
March 22nd, 2015, 6:41 AM
You didn't miss much in the final season. I want this to end well.

Fro
March 22nd, 2015, 5:30 PM
They're saying they revival will focus on answering the big unanswered questions and closing out major storylines rather than creating a brand new plotline.

Jimmy Zero
March 22nd, 2015, 5:53 PM
This also isn't going to run the length of a full season (~22-24 episodes), right?

Is this essentially a miniseries to tie up loose ends?

*Oops, didn't see Fro's post on the last page. My bad.

This should be pretty awesome. 10 episodes seems like the perfect amount to re-establish everything and answer lingering questions.

Beer-Belly
March 22nd, 2015, 7:12 PM
I'm stoked. The X-Files was a huge part of my childhood. My interest dropped off significantly when Duchovny left, but I always hoped the show would get a proper ending at some point.

Rancid_Planet
March 22nd, 2015, 9:31 PM
As long as it isn't lame, I'm in.

I.e. I don't want to see the new bad guy this season is the Chewing Tobacco Man or something.

lotjx
March 22nd, 2015, 9:36 PM
I would like to see a new villain. Maybe just straight up be the aliens. I would also like maybe a new group of agents who can fill in the role or Anonymous in the Lone Gunmen role.

Fanny
March 23rd, 2015, 5:23 AM
I'd like to see it be Mulder's father.

Judas Iscariot
March 23rd, 2015, 6:20 AM
I'd like CSM to somehow come back.

The_Mike
March 23rd, 2015, 1:58 PM
I hope they have a real plan for this and aim to actually wrap up the story rather than just throwing out another random story like 24 did. 24's miniseries was very enjoyable, but The X-Files has always had its mythos that never got wrapped up properly, and I think the fans deserve a real resolution rather than just "here are more episodes! Maybe if we get enough money we'll give you an ending!" The last film was basically meant to be that, a platform for making money to make another film to (supposedly) end it, but obviously that didn't work.

Duchovny and Anderson are both really enjoyable to watch though, so I'm sure I'll be there whatever the plan is.

Chris
March 23rd, 2015, 2:49 PM
This gives me the motivation I need to watch the original series. Always saw bits and pieces when I was younger and was fascinated by the alien arc when it cropped up, but I never watched it regularly. To be honest I've been put off by the consensus that the show reaches a peak and then starts to deteriorate after Mulder leaves. So I hope this really does tie up the loose ends to give a more satisfying conclusion.

The_Mike
March 23rd, 2015, 3:41 PM
To be fair the show is basically 5 years of amazingness followed by a couple of years of less consistent seasons that still had tons of stellar episodes, so you get a good 7 seasons that are well worth watching before it falls apart.

lotjx
March 23rd, 2015, 3:47 PM
I love Season 8. It forced them to have a real storyline for the entire season. If they ended it there, I think they would have been able to make movies out of it. Season nine is a dumpster fire of bad decisions.

lotjx
March 24th, 2015, 12:33 PM
http://www.hitfix.com/the-fien-print/no-conspiracy-fox-resurrects-the-x-files-for-6-episode-run

Its Official, X-Files is Back for an six episode run.

Beefy
March 24th, 2015, 12:52 PM
This is great news. They just need to bring Quantum Leap back now so that they can send Sam Beckett home.

Fanny
March 24th, 2015, 12:54 PM
Nooooooooo Beefy Dr. Sam Beckett never returned hoooooome!!!!!!

Beefy
March 24th, 2015, 12:57 PM
I'm in denial. I can't accept that. I won't.

Fanny
March 24th, 2015, 12:58 PM
I cried

Donald
March 24th, 2015, 2:43 PM
Sliders should come back too.

Rancid_Planet
March 24th, 2015, 6:02 PM
This is great news. They just need to bring Quantum Leap back now so that they can send Sam Beckett home.

As long as count Bakula doesn't get pissy and leave after the first season leaving us with Bruce Boxleitner.

#babylonproblems

Sliders should come back too.

If JRD is back then I'm in.

lotjx
March 24th, 2015, 6:49 PM
Bruce Boxleitner saved Babylon 5.

The_Mike
March 24th, 2015, 6:57 PM
As long as count Bakula doesn't get pissy and leave after the first season leaving us with Bruce Boxleitner.

#babylonproblems

O'Hare didn't get pissy, he got ill.

Rancid_Planet
March 24th, 2015, 7:37 PM
Oh no I didn't mean to slight O'Hare. I understand he was having some sort of mental problems. I'm just afraid Bakula might do a Quantum Leap series just to get his name back out there and then leave us with a new Sam type character played by a worse actor. And I have no interest in a spinoff or reboot of QL without him.

Bruce did fine on Babylon 5. But he wasn't O'Hare. I hate substitutions like that. Babylon 5 hooked me at the beginning largely because of O'Hare. He was just awesome.

I'm just rambling. I have no reason to think any of that might happen. Don't even know why I said it.

The_Mike
March 24th, 2015, 8:04 PM
Yeah I can't imagine Bakula doing that, just seems like it would be random, but I get what you meant now.

I heard that when Babylon 5 was written there was a contingency in place for just about every actor having to leave the show, so things weren't derailed as much as they could have been.

lotjx
March 24th, 2015, 8:34 PM
Oh yeah JMS had Batman like plans for the actors on the show. I loved Bruce on the show. O'Hare was good, but I think Bruce was a breath of fresh air. Damn shame about O'Hare, I was glad they did finalize his arc in the show though.

The_Mike
September 30th, 2015, 8:45 PM
I'm just going to leave this here then go put an X on my window.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1SmJUBT5q0

lotjx
September 30th, 2015, 8:53 PM
:yes:

Jimmy Zero
September 30th, 2015, 9:19 PM
I really can't wait. I'm in the middle of a series re-watch.

Just finished the two episode arch with those faceless rebel aliens lighting people on fire.

Marlon Dingle
October 1st, 2015, 8:49 AM
I really can't wait. I'm in the middle of a series re-watch.

Just finished the two episode arch with those faceless rebel aliens lighting people on fire.

Holy shit. I've been watching the series as well on US Netflix, and am in the middle of Season 5.

I just watched 'The Red and the Black' last night. Spooky.

Judas Iscariot
October 1st, 2015, 1:13 PM
I'm really hoping to get into the panel and premier episode at Comic Con next week. I'll wait on line for six hours, IDGAF.

Mills
October 1st, 2015, 1:46 PM
I'm at season two on my rewatch, but I can't wait to watch some new x files!

Marlon Dingle
October 6th, 2015, 10:25 AM
I finished Season 5 and the first movie at the weekend. I've heard some people say that after the movie the mythology of the show gets really bad. Any truth to this?

I am going to try to binge watch the last 4 seasons and 2nd movie before January 24th 2016, but I think I'll struggle, especially if the story line veers off on a tangent.

The_Mike
October 6th, 2015, 11:59 AM
I would say the sixth season's still good in terms of the mytharc but after that the wheels basically come off until the final episode. The second film is basically irrelevant, it has nothing to do with the mythology.

Jimmy Zero
October 6th, 2015, 2:25 PM
Imo the mythology has always been one of the weakest parts of the show. It's always convoluted and confusing, especially when Krycek gets involved. The government conspiracy/aliens stuff was a lot better in seasons 2-5, but I'll take the stand alone episodes over the mythology episodes almost every time.

sam_elmendorf
October 6th, 2015, 5:13 PM
I've watched both movies before I watched any episodes of the show. It didn't throw me off at all. I watched the first movie just to see if I would like the show. Then there would be marathons here and there that I would catch every so often after watching the second movie. Now I'm watching like 4-6 episodes a week on netflix. And I've been watching them out of order also. Like, I'll watch a few episodes from season 1 then watch a few episodes from season 3 so on and so forth. I don't find it confusing at all watching it this way.

I will watch the new season from episode 1 on though. Just hope I can finish the first run before it starts.

Fro
October 27th, 2015, 9:04 PM
new trailer. looks great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szVb8-c9oH4

Mills
October 27th, 2015, 9:18 PM
I'm in season 3 of my rewatch, still crazy to see Jack Black and Giovanni Ribisi on the x-files. I'm beyond excited for the new series, hope it results in a full season

Marlon Dingle
October 28th, 2015, 4:27 AM
I'm onto Season 6 episode Episode 15.

Just over 70 episodes left, and I plan to finish before the mini-series airs.

lotjx
October 28th, 2015, 7:19 AM
X-Files the complete series on Blu Ray comes in December. I think three days before Episode VII.

Beefy
October 28th, 2015, 8:58 AM
The HD/widescreen versions of the show are on Netflix now. They swapped them out a couple of months back. The show was originally shot with widescreen in mind even though it was originally broadcast in 4:3 so it looks perfect in HD now.

I'm doing a slow rewatch at the moment, between seasons of The Walking Dead. Midway through Season Two currently.

Marlon Dingle
December 11th, 2015, 9:44 AM
Finished Season 7 last night.

2 More seasons plus the 2nd movie to go.

Marlon Dingle
January 13th, 2016, 6:42 AM
That's me onto the Final Season. It's very clear from the start, why this was the last season. The lack of Mulder and turning Scully into a supporting character, as well as 9/11 happening a couple of months before Season 9 started, it already feels like the show was doomed from the jump. I'm also not a fan of the "new" opening titles.

Saying that I don't mind John Dogget. He is a good substitute for Mulder. But bringing in Reyes for Scully feels a step too far.

Beefy
January 13th, 2016, 7:42 AM
I bloody love John Doggett. He was such a well-written character. I hope he shows up in the new series.

Fro
January 25th, 2016, 10:53 PM
Been seeing some mixed reviews but I thought episode 1 was great, really enjoyed it. Episode 2 aired tonight but I haven't watched it yet.

LOCONUT
January 26th, 2016, 3:26 AM
I thought tonights was great. Fills the void that Fringe left. Its a brilliant update I think. I love that they kept a similar tone as the original series even if some of the dialogue is a little flat.

Fanny
January 26th, 2016, 7:16 AM
can I watch this legally in the UK?

Rip
January 26th, 2016, 7:41 AM
Starts on Channel 5 next month

lotjx
January 26th, 2016, 10:45 AM
I have no idea WTF people are talking about it when they say episode one was bad. They had to retread a bit and I loved the concept of a Right Wing News guy making tons of cash on conspiracies while actually getting legit contacts about the conspiracy.

LOCONUT
January 26th, 2016, 12:25 PM
The combination of surgery and weight loss has done Scully well. She looks better now than she did 20 years ago.

Fro
January 26th, 2016, 12:52 PM
Oof, strongly disagree. I mean she looks fine but young Scully was a fox.

G-Fresh
January 26th, 2016, 1:15 PM
This shit was horrible back in the day, but I'm give it another go.

lotjx
January 26th, 2016, 9:39 PM
The last three minutes of episode 2 are devastating as a long time fan.

LOCONUT
February 2nd, 2016, 2:15 PM
Im loving this.

Fro
February 2nd, 2016, 4:10 PM
Me as well. I'm sad it's only going to last 6 episodes. Murray from Flight of the Concords was funny in the latest episode.

lotjx
February 2nd, 2016, 5:06 PM
Each episode keeps getting better.

Atty
February 2nd, 2016, 11:39 PM
Mulder's ringtone damn near killed me.

LOCONUT
February 3rd, 2016, 12:18 AM
Mulder's ringtone damn near killed me.

Agreed. Total mark out moment.

blackening
February 4th, 2016, 10:51 AM
Watched the first two episodes last night and loved them. Haven't seen the third yet and i never was a big fan of the standalone episodes but i read good things about it. Don't get the criticism for the first episode.

Jimmy Zero
February 4th, 2016, 6:36 PM
I've really enjoyed all 3 episodes thus far. I've read that the numbers have been really good, so here's hoping for a full, or even 13 episode, season in the near future.

Grimario
February 8th, 2016, 4:45 AM
Season 2 Episode 20 Humbug

The guy that dies early on looked like a tiger loaf.

Atty
February 16th, 2016, 12:28 PM
Mulder tripping balls is one of the most glorious things ever on the show.

Beefy
February 16th, 2016, 12:39 PM
Watched the first two episodes last night and loved them. Haven't seen the third yet and i never was a big fan of the standalone episodes but i read good things about it. Don't get the criticism for the first episode.

It's the stand-alone episodes that I tend to enjoy watching when I do a re-watch of this show, probably because they're all self-contained and usually have a clear conclusion to the plot. The big, double-episode conspiracy shows are where the show loses a lot of its re-watchability imo.

Fanny
February 16th, 2016, 1:37 PM
but you're wrong Ant

The_Mike
February 16th, 2016, 2:12 PM
So what did everyone think of Mulder and Scully: The Next Generation? I warmed up to Einstein (despite the stupid name) by the end of the episode. Miller just seems like a pale facsimile of Mulder, only probably too straight-laced to have an interesting porn collection.

Mulder's trip was fun but I thought the episode itself was pretty terrible. 24 had more nuanced terrorists, and a lot less of everyone else wanting to kill every immigrant. Wtf was with those Homeland Security guys? For an X-Files episode it was bizarre only in its shallowness and pedestrian take on themes of extremism.

The_Mike
February 23rd, 2016, 2:20 PM
Oh dear.

lotjx
February 23rd, 2016, 2:47 PM
This really does feel like the 2012 movie that we were suppose to get. I was wondering who the traitor was going to be this season. You have to have an evil agent if you are going to bring CSM back. I thought for sure, it was going to be Miller. Instead they went back to the past and got Reyes. Its a nice touch. I thought the directing was a bit off at times. Yet, once you got Scully doing science stuff and Mulder chasing CSM, it was pitch picture X-Files. I do like the idea of Alien DNA saving mankind. It will lead to a lot more stories in the future.

Beer-Belly
February 24th, 2016, 2:40 PM
Oh dear.

The consensus seems to be that the revival ended up not being very good. Is that what you're indicating here?

The_Mike
February 24th, 2016, 7:58 PM
The consensus seems to be that the revival ended up not being very good. Is that what you're indicating here?

Not very good is generous compared to what I thought about the final episode.

Beer-Belly
February 24th, 2016, 8:12 PM
From what I've read, it sounds like Chris Carter needs to be booted from the show he created.

The_Mike
February 24th, 2016, 8:22 PM
I think he is definitely the main problem, though they have absolutely wrecked their story to the point that I don't think it can possibly be salvaged by any writer or show-runner. They should have let it die with The Truth. If they had to bring it back, they should have set it at some point before 2012 to avoid making the whole 9 season run a complete waste of time. And they should have hired a scriptwriter who doesn't think having two redheads squawk "alien DNA!" at each other for five minutes is workable.

lotjx
February 24th, 2016, 9:55 PM
I totally disagree. The Truth was an awful finale. The only good thing was figuring out what were red herrings on the show and were not in the trial scene. Other than that, it was straight shit. I have loved the revival. My problem had more to do with the directing in the last episode. There were a lot of questionable choices for scenes. Yet, everything that played out in the finale has been hinted out for a long time, its just weird seeing it in full effect with the world on the line. I do think if they can get Vince Gillian from Better Call Saul for at least one episode, it would help. Saul seems to be going backwards in order to justify five seasons. The Ratings have been massive, so its coming back.

The_Mike
February 24th, 2016, 9:59 PM
By no means do I think The Truth was good. But it was an ending. It was not "ALIEN DNA!" nineteen times followed by cribbing The Empire Strikes Back. What they played out in the finale was supposed to happen four years ago and didn't, for no reason. They lazily remarked in one line "it started in 2012" even though it clearly didn't, and episode one of the revival was all about how none of what happened before was true in the first place. And then it is. Except it's not. It's men, all men, except look, ALIEN DNA!

Atty
February 24th, 2016, 10:02 PM
Alien DNA > The Truth

Fro
February 25th, 2016, 12:26 AM
I thought the finale was good but not amazing. It ended on a cliffhanger which was disappointing considering I didn't know they were guaranteed to come back for more episodes even though that seems likely at this point. If this got bad rating and this was the end, that would have sucked. The mini series overall was good but it started to fall a little flat the last couple episodes. I didn't really like the new versions of Mulder and Scully and naming the woman Einstein was just awkward and sounded weird whenever it was said. But the first half of the series was great and the finale was solid.

I haven't seen all of the first 9 seasons and I haven't seen the second movie so I can't really speak to the show as a whole. Clearly it seems to have gone on too long but whatever, I'll still be watching if and when it returns.

lotjx
February 25th, 2016, 10:38 AM
You can skip the second movie, its meaningless. The entire Alien DNA has been there since almost day one. CSM's virus plan is part of colonization which is a giant part of the movie and the show. I would agree if they did something out of nowhere like Sasquatch be behind it all or Atlantis. What they did was everything that was talked/promised since they moved into the global plan. They bring up 2012, because that is when the third movie was to debut and they were going to wrap it up. Mulder is saying its men doing it which it is, but they are using Alien DNA to help them. I get the feeling Mulder doesn't view the aliens as the bad guys anymore which is a bit of a switch from the show.

The Truth was not an ending. It was barely an episode for two hours. All of it is the heroes standing around while the villains just sneer at them. Not once does anyone try to fight back, all they do is run and look helpless. At least in the finale, they are doing something and Scully succeeds. Why Mulder doesn't kill CSM where he refuses to help, is beyond me. I would have preferred Season Eight to be the end while they still have the baby, the Lone Gunman are alive and the X-Files are open. Carter got greedy and everything went to hell in Season Nine.

The_Mike
February 25th, 2016, 12:28 PM
I thought the finale was good but not amazing. It ended on a cliffhanger which was disappointing considering I didn't know they were guaranteed to come back for more episodes even though that seems likely at this point. If this got bad rating and this was the end, that would have sucked. The mini series overall was good but it started to fall a little flat the last couple episodes. I didn't really like the new versions of Mulder and Scully and naming the woman Einstein was just awkward and sounded weird whenever it was said. But the first half of the series was great and the finale was solid.

I haven't seen all of the first 9 seasons and I haven't seen the second movie so I can't really speak to the show as a whole. Clearly it seems to have gone on too long but whatever, I'll still be watching if and when it returns.

They're not guaranteed to come back. The Fox network and Chris Carter want it back, but they haven't signed the cast and Gillian Anderson in particular has a lot on her plate this year. Not to mention the bad feeling they managed to generate by trying to pay her half of Duchovny's salary. It's a desperate gamble to try to get the fans to pressure the cast into keeping his gravy boat going. Carter has zero respect for his own project.

The problem with trying to tie this to the original 9 seasons is that they start episode one by telling Mulder there are no aliens and none of that was real, completely nullifying the original run and telling us things we saw simply did not happen (like the Syndicate being attacked by aliens). In episode 6 of the new run they flit back and forth between bits of the original story being true or not, and between the conspiracy dating back to the 40s or not, between alien DNA being in all people and not, all through the most awful dialogue I have ever seen manage to get on TV. And I watch community access sometimes. And for some reason this grandiose conspiracy has now boiled down to CSM (the magic man who survives being burned to an actual skeleton by a missile) wanting to kill everyone because global warming probably will anyway. And it was supposed to happen in 2012 but didn't, so instead of just setting it in 2012 without having to do much more than make iPhones slightly bigger, they didn't make the effort. It's just an absurdity.

Beer-Belly
February 25th, 2016, 1:13 PM
Wow, that really does sound like microwaved dog shit. Damn.

lotjx
February 25th, 2016, 3:57 PM
Mulder is not saying aliens are not real in the first episode. He is stating the case, its not the aliens behind everything, but the Syndicate taking Alien DNA and using it for colonization. CSM's global warm line is about how man was going to destroy himself anyway, why not make it more orderly. He is trying to get Mulder on his side while Mulder is pointing a gun at him. Doing in 2012 would have been fine, but I am sure a Fox exec came down and said, No, set it now with all the craziness in this time plus people will relate to it. Honestly, the 2012 stuff doesn't bother me as it is a wink to the fans of yes, 2012 was a big deal.

VHS
December 22nd, 2019, 3:26 AM
Re-watched the 1998 film and goddamn that end credits song is still bangin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJfb7nbs5XA