PDA

View Full Version : Well, My Band Made A Music Video

Judas Iscariot
January 7th, 2011, 10:34 PM
So fuck it, here it is.

YouTube - Cue The Sun - Kissena Park

Miotch
January 7th, 2011, 11:51 PM
It's like Soul Asylum with crappy vocals.

I was expecting it to be a complete mess, but it's not as bad as I thought it would be. The video itself is pretty good, though I don't care for the band shots.

I applaud the effort, certainly. I'll give it a 5.5/10.

Fro
January 8th, 2011, 1:07 AM
Is the name of your band a Truman Show reference?

Dodgy Browne
January 8th, 2011, 5:49 AM
I like it. Yeah vocals are not the best, but it's not bad bad.
I'm kind of a sucker for this kind of music, so I'll save it under favourites and give it a couple of listens the next week.

Judas Iscariot
January 8th, 2011, 5:52 AM
It is indeed a Truman Show reference.

I was violently hungover, couldn't move and watching the movie, and then that line came and I went, "Oh...."

And then the other fellas in the band decided why not.

Wooooo
January 11th, 2011, 11:48 AM
I think thats brilliant.

Its not my kind of music, and I can see what people mean about the lyrics but I doubt anyone on the boards could do anything anywhere near as good

virms
January 11th, 2011, 12:11 PM
Very nice work Judas. I think the music is pretty ace. Bass player is a tad predictable with some of his runs but the guitars were really nice.

I think if you gave your vocals a good workout everyday that they will strengthen up quite nicely and they could be just as lovely as the guitar work. I like your tone and you can definitely belt out some notes so all the pieces are right there. :yes:

LOCONUT
January 11th, 2011, 12:42 PM
I think the video production was pretty solid. What is the story behind it? Did you guys have to pay for it or do you have a deal or what?

Judas Iscariot
January 11th, 2011, 1:25 PM
The vocal track was recorded over a year ago, so it has developed a good deal in the past year as I learned to breathe properly, but that said I still have terrible habits and have a lot to improve on.

The video was shot by a friend as a student project. The actors are friends of his and his crew volunteered to help out. All we paid for was food and beer.

LOCONUT
January 11th, 2011, 1:40 PM
I hadn't realized that your particular style of music was still around.

Judas Iscariot
January 11th, 2011, 4:39 PM
Me neither, I guess. We are to Soul Asylum what every single metal band I've ever had to play a show with is to White Snake.

Our other tunes run a bit of a range in terms of styles, all unified by my stellar vocal work.

Hero!
January 11th, 2011, 4:47 PM
Not the biggest fan of this style of music, but the video was really great.

Judas Iscariot
January 17th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Fun fact: our bass player is a lefty playing righty and never picked up the instrument until about a year and a half ago.

Plus, he's Colombian. Opens up a whole new demographic.

The_Mike
January 17th, 2011, 11:42 AM
I like the song and the video. It's not something I'd seek out on purpose but if the song came on the radio I wouldn't switch stations, so that's a plus. Video is nice too, not earth shattering but very respectable.

thetony
September 22nd, 2014, 5:10 PM
Didn't want to make my own thread for this. The band I'm in just released a bunch of tracks. Sent them out to local radio stations and uploaded most of them here:

http://music.cbc.ca/#/artists/Bodegas

If you've got the time and you're interested - maybe give them a listen.

Judas Iscariot
September 23rd, 2014, 5:34 AM
Can't listen to it as I'm not Canadian.

Why not put it on soundcloud?

I love ska, so wanna hear.

thetony
September 23rd, 2014, 12:16 PM
Thought that might happen. I'll give soundcloud a go.

thetony
September 23rd, 2014, 12:32 PM
That didn't take long.

https://soundcloud.com/bodegasofficial

Jimmy Zero
September 23rd, 2014, 4:47 PM
Are you guys using a drum machine, or a real person? At some points it sounds like a drum machine, but then I hear really strange rhythmic mistakes and I think it's a drummer who doesn't have a ton of experience. There are a few times where it sounds like the drummer has no idea what he's doing.

The actual recording quality is really good. The mix is also well done. Did you guys record it yourselves?

I think you guys need to work on your rhythm, but otherwise I'm actually pretty impressed. I hate that style of music, but I didn't hate your songs.

thetony
September 23rd, 2014, 5:34 PM
The drumming situation was not ideal. We recorded half the album last summer and half this summer.

The drum track we used on all songs was from the first live run through. The guy mixing said he could only use that one because we didn't use a click track/metronome and editing the drumming without a click would be near impossible for him. So we did notice some mistakes/some random kick drum inserts but couldn't really do anything about it. Plus the drummer being a typical drummer is now living in a different province and we haven't seen him in 8 months.

I know it says that the genre is "ska", but I really don't know if I would call it that. Hard to place really..

Thanks for the feedback Jimmy.

thetony
September 23rd, 2014, 5:42 PM
But to answer your questions (which I mostly ignored..) it is a real drummer at all times. I noticed that sometimes the snare sounds somewhat robotic but I think that's just the funky effects the guy mixing it used. We did go to to a somewhat cheap independent recording studio to get it done. Real back alley stuff but the guy who mixed it was great.

Our whole band practice routine is quite pathetic. Most of us are students/recent graduates of university or college so we're all spread out across the country. We only get together during summer and practice for maybe a week before playing one or two summer shows. If we are to get serious about this that has to change in a big way. We barely get together to practice and even these past two summers we got together for less than a week before hitting the studio. For a few of the songs I would learn the guitar/gist of the song a day before going into the studio. That bothered me.

Judas Iscariot
September 23rd, 2014, 7:46 PM
Sounds really good, man.

Wish there were horns, though.

thetony
September 23rd, 2014, 8:39 PM
Thanks Judas. As do I. Would love a sax/trombone/trumpet ensemble to accompany. We're thinking of moving away from ska into something a little more heavier/darker for the next one sadly.

Judas Iscariot
October 5th, 2014, 3:35 AM
Go the Mighty Mighty BossTones route. Heavier than usual ska but can still be fun with horns.

Gibby
October 5th, 2014, 12:13 PM
My band made a video. Or our bassist did. I had nothing to do with it. I sing. Feel free to criticise, I don't care.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_rg1BFj8MA

McBain
October 24th, 2014, 6:17 AM
Decent job, Judas.

Very poppy and a bit middle of the road for my tastes but it's produced well and could be a hell of a lot worse.

VHS
July 12th, 2016, 12:25 AM
BUMP

Went through some old bookmarks and refound this. Still fucking hits the feels, boss. :yes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKsCQo7FVVo