PDA

View Full Version : Horror Tackles

Pages : [1] 2

Gary J
January 2nd, 2011, 9:44 AM
Since the footy thread was getting derailed with the same old arguments we get whenever an Arsenal player gets challenged. Lets just see which teams are the most victims and who are the worst for making these challenges. So what i am proposing is that we list these tackles in here and if the majority of people agree it was a horror tackle it will get added to the league table.

This season we have had

De Jong on Ben Arfa.
Andy Wilkinson on Demeble.
Paul Robinson on Diaby.
Karl Henry on Jordi Gomez.

So targeted teams so far.

Arsenal - 1
Fulham - 1
Newcastle - 1
Wigan - 1

Guilty Teams

Bolton - 1
Man City - 1
Stoke - 1
Wolves - 1

Tempest
January 2nd, 2011, 9:47 AM
From what I remember, Henry didn't really make any terrible contact with Zamora, it was just down to how he landed.

El Capitano Gatisto
January 2nd, 2011, 9:51 AM
Johnson's tackle on Fabregas yesterday was an awful challenge, complete horror tackle. Fabregas was very lucky to come away from that without an injury.

Lee Bowyer made a pretty bad tackle on Gibson on Tuesday but I'm not sure it was horrifying, more dirty.

Jack Wilshere committed a horrifying tackle on Zigic in the first Arsenal-Birmingham game earlier in the season, got a red for it.

Gary J
January 2nd, 2011, 9:52 AM
From what I remember, Henry didn't really make any terrible contact with Zamora, it was just down to how he landed.

Yeah you are right just checked a video now it seems i remembered it as being far worse then it actually was.

UK Blue
January 2nd, 2011, 9:53 AM
HORRIFIC LUNGES thread > Horror Tackles thread

Andy
January 2nd, 2011, 9:58 AM
Karl Henry on Arshavin too, obviously Johnson vs Fabregas yesterday.

Wilshere vs Zigic was a bad one. Wilkinson vs Dembele and Henry vs Gomez were quite astonishingly bad.

Gary J
January 2nd, 2011, 9:59 AM
Added the Wilshere and Johnson challenges and took away the Karl Henry on Zamora.

Targeted

Arsenal - 2
Birmingham - 1
Fulham - 1
Newcastle - 1
Wigan - 1

Guilty Teams

Birmingham - 1
Bolton - 1
Man City - 1
Stoke - 1
Wolves - 1

Gary J
January 2nd, 2011, 10:01 AM
Just seen the Henry on Arshavin tackle so adding that.

Targeted

Arsenal - 3
Birmingham - 1
Fulham - 1
Newcastle - 1
Wigan - 1

Guilty Teams

Wolves - 2
Birmingham - 1
Bolton - 1
Man City - 1
Stoke - 1

Bad Collin
January 2nd, 2011, 10:20 AM
All tackles against Arsenal are HORROR TACKLES

Gary J
January 2nd, 2011, 10:26 AM
I thought your post was going to be one claiming every tackle Lucas had made because he is a horrendous footballer.

Grimario
January 2nd, 2011, 10:32 AM
I thought your post was going to be one claiming every tackle Lucas had made because he is a horrendous footballer.

I actually repped BC to remind him of that exact point... you know what they say about great minds, Gary J?

Winkle van Tinkle
January 2nd, 2011, 10:32 AM
Already been mentioned, but the one on Fabregas last night was dreadful.

Also, this tackle was ridiculous (although it was from the end of last season), but as the two teams are playing today...

YouTube - John Terry's tackle on James Milner.

Bad Collin
January 2nd, 2011, 10:33 AM
Lucas? Tackles? :lol:

Winkle van Tinkle
January 2nd, 2011, 10:33 AM
All tackles against Arsenal are HORROR TACKLES

People don't really do horror tackles against Liverpool though, because they know the game would be stopped for a one minute silence....

Matthew
January 2nd, 2011, 10:34 AM
o snap

Bad Collin
January 2nd, 2011, 10:35 AM
This is why no one does HORROR TACKLES against Liverpool:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/08/28/article-1209678-062462A9000005DC-691_310x377.jpg

Simon
January 2nd, 2011, 10:47 AM
Fabregas on someone down by the touchline in an away game a while ago, possibly Wolves?

Gary J
January 2nd, 2011, 10:51 AM
I'm guessing you mean the one on Stephen Ward.

All i can find is reporting where Wenger is apologising for the tackle and Fabregas himself went and apologised afterwards. I've not seen this challenge myself but if Wenger and Fabregas are admitting it. It gets added.

Mik
January 2nd, 2011, 10:52 AM
Already been mentioned, but the one on Fabregas last night was dreadful.

Also, this tackle was ridiculous (although it was from the end of last season), but as the two teams are playing today...

YouTube - John Terry's tackle on James Milner. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogQ31ergU_8&feature=related)

Loved Townsend trying to defend it. Wanker.

Gary J
Targeted Teams

Arsenal - 3
Birmingham - 1
Fulham - 1
Newcastle - 1
Wolves - 1
Wigan - 1

Guilty Teams

Arsenal -2 (Wilshere , Fabregas)
Wolves - 2 (Henry x2)
Birmingham - 1 (Johnson)
Bolton - 1 (Robinson)
Man City - 1 (De Jong)
Stoke - 1 (Wilkinson)

Simon
Yes and you haven't added Wilshere's either.

Andy
January 2nd, 2011, 10:58 AM
The Fabregas one was a poor challenge but not in the same league as Johnson, Henry et al.

Couple of Huddlestone elbows and stamps this season, not a club here but a Liechtenstein player on Alan Hutton with a genuine HORROR tackle. I'll try and find it.

Andy
January 2nd, 2011, 11:06 AM
http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl/dailyrecord3/sep2010/4/4/alan-hutton-image-1-116445035.jpg

This is the only pic I can find, it was about half way up his shin which you can't really see from that pic.

Mik
January 2nd, 2011, 11:09 AM
Surprise to see Andy defending Arsenal tackles and lamenting Spurs tackles.

Andy
January 2nd, 2011, 11:11 AM
Why don't you put me on ignore if you're getting this pissed off. You're fucking things up far more than me by following me round two different threads and complaining.

Simon
January 2nd, 2011, 11:11 AM
:lol: the Fabregas one was terrible you blinkered half wit.

Andy
January 2nd, 2011, 11:13 AM
Instead of going back to the personal insults, why don't you try and back up an argument? I said it was bad but not as bad as Johnson on Fabregas and the Henry ones which have been discussed. You disagree, fine. Why?

Mik
January 2nd, 2011, 11:14 AM
Why don't you put me on ignore if you're getting this pissed off. You're fucking things up far more than me by following me round two different threads and complaining.

Am I getting pissed off?

I want to see you make an effort to not be so blatantly biased and blinkered. I'm not angry about it, I'm hopeful...and a bit amused.

Andy
January 2nd, 2011, 11:19 AM
Why don't you contribute to the debate then? Do you think I'm wrong about Huddlestone's being bad tackles? That's not anti-Spurs bias, they'll all concede they were bad tackles. Do you think I'm wrong about Johnson on Fabregas and Henry's tackles being worse than Fabregas on Ward? Why?

Gary J
January 2nd, 2011, 11:25 AM
The Fabregas one was a poor challenge but not in the same league as Johnson, Henry et al.

I did some quick checking to see what people on here thought at the time and found these quotes.

Shocking challenge from Fabregas

Oh look, Fabregas with one of the worst tackles the premier league has seen this season. I wonder what Andy has to say about that. Arsenal are a horrible side.

Just saw that Fabregas tackle, pretty inexcusable.

To be fair there was an argument saying it wasn't that bad a challenge but the majority said it was bad. Cuncha mentioned a tackle from Milijas in that game as well but can't find any footage of this anywhere.

Another two challenges that are getting added though as a few people bought it up Joe Cole against Arsenal and Fellaini against Bolton.

Gary J
January 2nd, 2011, 11:27 AM
Targeted Teams

Arsenal - 4
Birmingham - 1
Bolton - 1
Fulham - 1
Newcastle - 1
Wolves - 1
Wigan - 1

Guilty Teams

Arsenal -2 (Wilshere , Fabregas)
Wolves - 2 (Henry x2)
Birmingham - 1 (Johnson)
Bolton - 1 (Robinson)
Everton - 1 (Felllaini)
Liverpool - 1 (Cole)
Man City - 1 (De Jong)
Stoke - 1 (Wilkinson)

BBF
January 2nd, 2011, 11:27 AM
I think I was one of those who said it wasn't as bad as people were making out. He was trying to block a clearance if I remember properly and as opposed to there being intent he just got the timing all wrong.

Andy
January 2nd, 2011, 11:29 AM
I'm not denying it was a bad tackle, it was really poor. Here's what McCarthy said:

But McCarthy was pacified by the appearance of Fábregas in the home dressing room to apologise afterwards and check on the damage to Ward's gashed leg.

"I have no problem with it at all," he insisted. "Wardy has accepted it like a man. This has been like a throwback to the old days where one player catches a player with a mistimed tackle, buys him a pint afterwards and the other says he will get him back later in the season. "What I can't stand is people whingeing at my players. It's all amateur dramatic bullshit."

That probably tells you all you need to know about the two challenges against Arsenal in that game. If they hadn't happened he would've gone ballistic.

Andy
January 2nd, 2011, 11:30 AM
That Fabregas tackle also brought up the insane debate that it was the same as Joe Cole on Koscielny.

Gary J
January 2nd, 2011, 11:32 AM
Yeah thats what reminded me of the Joe Cole tackle.

Bad Collin
January 2nd, 2011, 11:33 AM
Yeah, there wasn't much wrong with that Cole challenge.

Andy
January 2nd, 2011, 11:33 AM
Kyrgiakos on Fellaini or was that last season?

Chris Scott
January 2nd, 2011, 11:43 AM
Last season.

grimshaw
January 2nd, 2011, 1:17 PM
I think the fact that Wenger is so vocal is going to pretty much ruin any kind of attempt to be quantitative here, as it draws attention to tackles against Arsenal and by Arsenal.

Simon
January 2nd, 2011, 1:18 PM
Andy I strongly recommend that you take a look at your posts in this and the other thread and realise how far your head is stuck up your arse. You presumably don't realise how blinkered you are but it would be worth finding out because it just makes you look like a clown.

Andy
January 2nd, 2011, 1:21 PM
Again, I'll ask that instead of the personal insults, you go ahead and explain why I'm blinkered or wrong in any of what I've said? I don't think you can. Accuse me of going on about it if you want but none of what I've said today or yesterday is wrong.

Simon
January 2nd, 2011, 1:25 PM
I have explained before, there's no point in repeating myself. Refusing to accept Fabregas' tackle was atrocious was the final nail in the coffin - you need to wake up and realise how hypocritical it is to get so upset about challenges on Arsenal players while defending ones like that from your team.

Andy
January 2nd, 2011, 1:29 PM
Erm, before you insult me or even try to debate, can you learn to read please? I have said over and over again when it was brought up today that it was a bad challenge.

This is when this place goes to shit. You called me a dickhead and said Johnson's tackle wasn't that bad. I explained why it was and I got some more abuse. No worries though because apparently you have explained before.

I can accept I may go on about bad tackles too much but that doesn't instantly make it blinkered or wrong. What I said about the Johnson and Bowyer tackles yesterday were true.

Simon
January 2nd, 2011, 1:32 PM
Erm, before you insult me or even try to debate, can you learn to read please? I have said over and over again when it was brought up today that it was a bad challenge.
You have continually defended it. You agree that it was a bad challenge but absolutely insist on placing it in the most positive light possible with all the bollocks about McCarthy's post-match interview and refuse to accept that it should be considered on the same scale as other bad tackles.

I can accept I may go on about bad tackles too much but that doesn't instantly make it blinkered or wrong. What I said about the Johnson and Bowyer tackles yesterday were true.

No it doesn't make it instantly blinkered or wrong. It's the fact that you have consistently done it that makes you blinkered and wrong. Plenty of examples have been listed by myself and others, and a LOT of people are saying the same thing to you. Maybe you should ask yourself why so many people are saying it, rather than convincing yourself everyone is wrong about you.

Andy
January 2nd, 2011, 1:42 PM
Who is saying it? Mik and KMH? Mik who always has a problem with any sort of debate which is raised more than once and KMH who I debate with all the time?

Ok, lets talk about the Fabregas tackle. Genuinely. In my opinion, it was a dangerous and bad challenge but it was not as bad as the likes of Henry on Arshavin (to take an example from the same game), or Johnson on Fabregas (to use the example which kicked off this debate). The reason for this is that the two challenges on Arsenal players (woah, convenient, huh?) were against players who had their foot planted and where the tackling players came down on the standing foot with their studs showing.

The most crude example of what this sort of challenge can lead to is the Eduardo injury. It is so dangerous to lead with the studs and to come down towards the ball. Further, the Johnson tackle was made worse by the fact he came off the ground, resulting the the full force of a 15 stone man impacting into Fabregas' leg. It's pure luck that his leg wasn't broken, same with Nolan vs Anichebe to think of another shocker which was lucky not to break a leg.

Fabregas vs Ward was a bad tackle. But was it as dangerous? In my opinion, no. It's generally not the same sort of tackle. Fabregas was coming in from the side instead of head on, was leading with a straight foot as opposed to coming downwards, and Ward's leg wasn't planted. Why do you disagree?

Simon
January 2nd, 2011, 1:59 PM
This is why I disagree:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/11/11/article-0-0C029CDE000005DC-232_468x286.jpg

It could have broken his leg. Also you mention that Johnson's is worse because "he came off the ground", but Fabregas was off the ground:

http://desigunner.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/fabregas-late-tackle-on-ward.jpg

Fabregas' challenge could have broken his leg. It was reckless, stupid and dangerous. That is why it should be considered in the same scheme of things as ones like Johnson's.

Star fruit surf rider
January 2nd, 2011, 2:04 PM
Maybe the Arsenal players ask for it by being mouthy on the pitch and winding people up.

Like all those innocent battered wives and girlfriends.

Simon
January 2nd, 2011, 2:06 PM
Well one thing that jumps out from Gary J's research so far is that teams who give out horror tackles seem to receive them as well.

JIJ
January 2nd, 2011, 2:07 PM
Johnson's tackle on Fabregas yesterday was an awful challenge, complete horror tackle. Fabregas was very lucky to come away from that without an injury.

No it wasn't. The point of contact was barely above the ankle, he genuinely went for the ball and it was mistimed.

Weren't you sticking up for Shawcross after the Ramsey tackle?

Andy
January 2nd, 2011, 2:08 PM
If Fabregas came off the ground, it wasn't in the same way as Johnson who actually jumped into it. Again, I AM NOT defending that tackle, just saying that I think the other ones I mentioned were worse.

Let me also say again that I am not claiming there is come conspiracy against Arsenal. We've been able to deal with teams kicking us off the park a lot better this season; yesterday against Brum, the Carling Cup game against Spurs, away at Blackburn, but it's also obvious a lot of teams have to deal with the same thing.

This whole debate came about because I moaned yesterday that Johnson should've been sent off. I challenge anyone to try and claim he should've stayed on the pitch.

JIJ
January 2nd, 2011, 2:23 PM
I don't think anyone is arguing with you about it being a sending off/bad tackle Andy.

Half are bored of your whining, the other half don't think it was as bad as you made out.

Andy
January 2nd, 2011, 2:28 PM
I made it out as an absolute shocker, which it was. Ok, it didn't have the horrifying visual of a Nolan vs Anichebe or Taylor vs Eduardo, but it could've quite easily snapped Fabregas' leg so I don't see how it wasn't as bad as I made out.

JIJ
January 2nd, 2011, 2:40 PM
I've already explained why it wasn't as bad.

Despite you attempting to make it out as if I was ignoring you.

grimshaw
January 2nd, 2011, 11:00 PM
Well one thing that jumps out from Gary J's research so far is that teams who give out horror tackles seem to receive them as well.

More likely, when a team's cited in here for a horror tackle, opponents of the team and the citer rush to find a tackle by that team to try to even the score.

El Capitano Gatisto
January 3rd, 2011, 10:41 AM
No it wasn't. The point of contact was barely above the ankle, he genuinely went for the ball and it was mistimed.

Weren't you sticking up for Shawcross after the Ramsey tackle?

Johnson had no control over the point of contact, it's a totally moot point. Where it makes contact is absolutely no defence. I've explained why any tackle like that is unacceptable before.

No, I did not stick up for Shawcross. I think he's a thug. Not sure where you got that idea from.

Andy
January 9th, 2011, 3:25 PM
Gerrard on Carrick

MMH
January 10th, 2011, 6:58 AM
Gerrard on everyone.

Hes not like that though.

Simon
January 10th, 2011, 7:06 AM
I enjoyed Lagom's attempt to defend it having not seen it.

MMH
January 10th, 2011, 7:16 AM

Im listening to someone trying to defend it on talksport now.

I hate shit like this. It was a shocking tackle, why cant people just admit it and get on with it?

Not just Liverpool but any club. I hate people trying to be ridiculously biased when its blatent that they did wrong.

Chris Scott
January 10th, 2011, 7:32 AM

I'm suprised you didn't just say Liverpool fans instead of Lagom.

MMH
January 10th, 2011, 7:34 AM
I'm suprised you didn't just say Liverpool fans instead of Lagom.

Ooh look at you and your self pity.

Chris Scott
January 10th, 2011, 7:38 AM
Sarcasm.

S.C.O.S.E.
January 28th, 2011, 9:18 PM
Kevin Muscat, now plying his trade at Melbourne Victory. Unbelievable tackle.

YouTube - Melbourne Victory's Kevin Muscat sickening tackle

EDIT: Apologies, didnt see till now the Premiership context of the thread. Still worth a look anyway.

Lagom
January 30th, 2011, 5:46 AM

Just noticed this, but Simon you numpty, where on earth did you see me try and defend it?

Simmo Fortyone
February 1st, 2011, 7:14 AM
Kevin Muscat in "being Kevin Muscat" shocker. He got 8 weeks for that and a rethink of his career.

Keano's Magic Hat
February 1st, 2011, 8:49 AM
Kevin Muscat is the worst person in football

Grimario
February 1st, 2011, 4:32 PM
It's a bit ridiculous because, as far as Australian's go, he was actually half decent at the football bit at times yet his thuggery overshone any ability 95% of the time. Cunt, hope he breaks his hip while suspended and never, ever disgraces a football field again.

Gary J
February 3rd, 2011, 4:40 AM
Added the Gerrard on Carrick , Huth's from last night and The Fabregas one from tuesday since MMH mentioned it and none of the Arsenal fans on here defended it.

Targeted Teams

Arsenal - 4
Birmingham - 1
Bolton - 1
Everton - 1
Fulham - 1
Liverpool -1
Man Utd - 1
Newcastle - 1
Wolves - 1
Wigan - 1

Guilty Teams

Arsenal - 3 (Wilshere , Fabregas x2)
Liverpool - 2 (Cole , Gerrard)
Stoke - 2 (Wilkinson , Huth)
Wolves - 2 (Henry x2)
Birmingham - 1 (Johnson)
Bolton - 1 (Robinson)
Everton - 1 (Felllaini)
Man City - 1 (De Jong)

The Rosk
February 3rd, 2011, 4:47 AM
Does this count the FA Cup?

The Rosk
February 3rd, 2011, 4:50 AM
If so I think Nathan Baker deserves a shout for 0:50 in this, Blackburn being the target.

YouTube - Aston Villa 3-1 Blackburn | The FA Cup 4th Round - 29/01/11

Andy
February 3rd, 2011, 4:59 AM
I've not seen the Fabregas one but by all accounts it wasn't a 'horror challenge'.

Gary J
February 3rd, 2011, 5:47 AM
Targeted Teams

Arsenal - 4
Birmingham - 1
Blackburn - 1
Bolton - 1
Everton - 1
Fulham - 1
Liverpool -1
Man Utd - 1
Newcastle - 1
Wolves - 1
Wigan - 1

Guilty Teams

Arsenal - 3 (Wilshere , Fabregas x2)
Wolves - 2 (Henry x2)
Aston Villa - 1 (Baker)
Birmingham - 1 (Johnson)
Bolton - 1 (Robinson)
Everton - 1 (Felllaini)
Man City - 1 (De Jong)

Simon
February 3rd, 2011, 5:49 AM
Van Persie had one on Heitinga on Tuesday as well. Not seen the Fabregas one though.

Gary J
February 3rd, 2011, 5:50 AM
I've not seen the Fabregas one but by all accounts it wasn't a 'horror challenge'.

I've not seen it either i just saw MMH mention it and since i noticed it was being watched on a stream by a few of you and no-one seemed to condemn it or defend it i just thought i'd add it. I'll take it off the list if anyone can verify it wasn't a horror challenge.

grimshaw
February 3rd, 2011, 5:55 AM
It was a possible red card, probably should have been. But not horror. Moyes seemed more concerned about Fabregas' alleged halftime tirade than any tackle...

Gary J
February 3rd, 2011, 5:58 AM
Yeah i went on an Everton forum to see what they thought and they were hardly up in arms about it just saying it should have been red. They seemed to be concerned about a tackle Wilshere made on Arteta and slagging off Bilyaletdinov. No mention of the Van persie tackle i shall take the Fabregas one off the list.

Targeted Teams

Arsenal - 4
Birmingham - 1
Blackburn - 1
Bolton - 1
Everton - 1
Fulham - 1
Liverpool -1
Man Utd - 1
Newcastle - 1
Wolves - 1
Wigan - 1

Guilty Teams

Arsenal - 2 (Wilshere , Fabregas)
Wolves - 2 (Henry x2)
Aston Villa - 1 (Baker)
Birmingham - 1 (Johnson)
Bolton - 1 (Robinson)
Everton - 1 (Felllaini)
Man City - 1 (De Jong)

Simon
February 3rd, 2011, 6:00 AM
The Van Persie one was pretty nasty. Trying to find a video of it but no joy.

Gary J
February 3rd, 2011, 6:03 AM
I'll add Van Persie then

Targeted Teams

Arsenal - 4
Everton - 2
Birmingham - 1
Blackburn - 1
Bolton - 1
Fulham - 1
Liverpool -1
Man Utd - 1
Newcastle - 1
Wolves - 1
Wigan - 1

Guilty Teams

Arsenal - 3 (Wilshere , Fabregas , Van persie)
Wolves - 2 (Henry x2)
Aston Villa - 1 (Baker)
Birmingham - 1 (Johnson)
Bolton - 1 (Robinson)
Everton - 1 (Felllaini)
Man City - 1 (De Jong)

Andy
February 3rd, 2011, 6:04 AM
Bloody hell Gary, what happened to innocent until proven guilty? :mad:

Simon
February 3rd, 2011, 6:04 AM
Just to cover myself against accusations of bias, Cuncha posted about the tackle at the time agreeing that it was bad.

Simon
February 3rd, 2011, 6:06 AM
http://forums.rajah.com/showpost.php?p=6601422&postcount=69576

Yep, it's baffling Si. Rvp probably should have gone, Rodwell probably should have gone, Fabregas could have gone. Yet, Wilshere got booked 3 minutes in for a very nothing tackle. It's bizarre.

Andy
February 3rd, 2011, 6:15 AM
Is 'probably should've gone' the same as a horror tackle? I don't know, I've not seen it. By most accounts, Wilshere, Fabregas, RVP, Rodwell and Osman all 'could've gone'.

Simon
February 3rd, 2011, 6:18 AM
Sorry everyone, me and Cuncha Bunts agreeing it was a terrible tackle having seen it is overruled by Andy picking up on a semantic point without having seen it. Strike it from the record.

The Rosk
February 3rd, 2011, 6:19 AM
What does this matter anyway.

Simon
February 3rd, 2011, 6:19 AM
FYI, Cuncha's post was agreeing with this:

Two minutes this has been on and TWICE Van Persie should have been sent off. That tackle was fucking disgusting because he's actually done it deliberately.

Simon
February 3rd, 2011, 6:20 AM
What does this matter anyway.

I am quite enjoying Andy being proven completely wrong about Arsenal always being on the receiving end of terrible tackles. The absolute best you can say is that they give it out as much as they receive it.

JIJ
February 3rd, 2011, 6:21 AM
Arsenal, as a football club, from top to bottom is riddled with hypocrisy.

Simon
February 3rd, 2011, 6:22 AM
And cunts.

Andy
February 3rd, 2011, 6:33 AM
Cuncha said he probably could've gone. I'm more inclined to think it was at least debaable from that than it being fucking disgusting and deliberate like you said. It also says something that no one on SSN mentioned it (but went on about the Huth tackle for ages), Moyes didn't mention it and none of the reports have mentioned it. You'll forgive me if I reserve judgement until I see it.

And talking of hypocrisy and the like, I saw the "stamp" you went mad about b Andrews on Jenas. So, so obviously completely accidental, accepted even by the invisible man.

son_of_foley
February 3rd, 2011, 6:34 AM
Wow hold up here. What has andy actually done wrong here? He's asking if a should've gone equals a horror tackle. Looking at the thread he could have got the impression Cuncha was replying to you saying the referee was grinning like a dickhead. I understand with timelines it was unlikely to be that one but at first read that's an entirely reasonable assumption to have made.

Simon
February 3rd, 2011, 6:36 AM
Cuncha said he probably could've gone. I'm more inclined to think it was at least debaable from that than it being fucking disgusting and deliberate like you said. It also says something that no one on SSN mentioned it (but went on about the Huth tackle for ages), Moyes didn't mention it and none of the reports have mentioned it. You'll forgive me if I reserve judgement until I see it.

And talking of hypocrisy and the like, I saw the "stamp" you went mad about b Andrews on Jenas. So, so obviously completely accidental, accepted even by the invisible man.

No chance, he deliberately put his foot down. And you're going by the MOTD highlights presumably which made it look like Jenas was fine with it, he wasn't.

Andy
February 3rd, 2011, 6:38 AM
Yes I'm going by MOTD which showed the accidental collision and Jenas get up and accept an apology.

grimshaw
February 3rd, 2011, 6:39 AM
I think Simon expects Andy to blindly defend Arsenal (as he often does) and so he's misinterpreted things. On the other hand, he might be just trying to 'win an argument'...

RFF Champ
February 3rd, 2011, 6:40 AM
Yes I'm going by MOTD which showed the accidental collision and Jenas get up and accept an apology.

This is how I saw it.

Simon
February 3rd, 2011, 6:43 AM
Yeah on MOTD it did look like that. They ignored the previous thirty seconds or so of Jenas angrily shaking his head at what had happened and the referee's failure to act.

Andy
February 3rd, 2011, 6:50 AM
I don't blame him for being shaken up about taking some studs to the skull but it was definitely accidental.

Gary J
February 3rd, 2011, 7:58 AM
I'm going to keep the Van persie one on because Simon/Cuncha seemed to be in agreement at the time and Simon did call it a disgusting challenge and Cuncha didn't dispute it.

Andy
February 6th, 2011, 10:31 AM
Just seen Jenas on some Bolton player.

Gary J
February 6th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Yeah i saw that one am adding that one to the list and Clint Dempsey on Makoun as well.

Gary J
February 6th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Targeted Teams

Arsenal - 4
Bolton - 2
Everton - 2
Aston Villa - 1
Birmingham - 1
Blackburn - 1
Fulham - 1
Liverpool -1
Man Utd - 1
Newcastle - 1
Wolves - 1
Wigan - 1

Guilty Teams

Wolves - 2 (Henry x2)
Aston Villa - 1 (Baker)
Birmingham - 1 (Johnson)
Bolton - 1 (Robinson)
Everton - 1 (Felllaini)
Fulham - 1 (Dempsey)
Man City - 1 (De Jong)
Spurs - 1 (Jenas)

Grimario
February 6th, 2011, 4:43 PM
So... at this point Arsenal appear to be targetted more...

Is that because it's the most effective way to get to them because they are a bit soft or is it because they are the worst offenders and teams just go like for like?

Star fruit surf rider
February 6th, 2011, 4:51 PM
I didn't think the tackle by Barton was that bad at all yesterday.

I can see why Diaby reacted as he did because I imagine Barton is a horrible cunt to play against and he was probably winding him up and goading him the whole game.

But maybe if Diaby played for a team with more discipline he wouldnt have reacted and therefore stayed on the pitch and probably helped get 3 points.

Gary J
February 6th, 2011, 5:02 PM
I didn't think Barton's tackle was that bad either. He went in one footed and won the ball. The momentum carried him through and made it look worse but you could see he bent his knees to minimize any impact.

If anything Barton should be praised for keeping his cool when Diaby grabbed him if it had been the other way round Barton would have been slaughtered in the press.

Andy
February 6th, 2011, 5:02 PM
It was a 'reducer' as they seem to be called these days. Very similar to thDe Jong one which destroyed Ben Arfa's leg. He actually did it twice in the game, one on Diaby and one on Arshavin. He's a horrible little bastard.

Star fruit surf rider
February 6th, 2011, 5:04 PM
Oh I don't doubt he is a cunt I just bet if it was Tiote or someone who had done that maybe Diaby wouldnt have reacted. I suspect he reacted as that was a culmination of 50 odd minutes of winding up rather than that one individual incident. I'm only guessing of course.

Gary J
February 6th, 2011, 5:12 PM
I don't think it would have mattered who made the challenge as Diaby had been injured due to challenges before so he would have reacted no matter who did it.

Andy
February 6th, 2011, 5:12 PM
Nah, I'm almost certain he reacted because it was an awful tackle on that ankle yet again, not because it was Barton. He was out for over a year when Dan Smith smashed that ankle, then Paul Robinson put him out again with a horror challenge to the same ankle. He tried to go mental at Robinson when that happened but be couldn't stand up. His first game back after that was against Chelsea where Essien caught the same ankle with a late challenge. As an accumulation of all that he was out for about two months. Then in his second game back he gets that. I'm not surprised he lost it. Can't defend it but I can see why it happened.

And in this day and age those are awful tackles from Barton. Not two footed but off the ground and his weight flying into Diaby's leg.

Lagom
February 6th, 2011, 6:07 PM
I know it'll probably be met with disgust after my outburst against Huth, but i honestly, no word of a lie, don't see much wrong at all with Barton's challenge on Diaby.

Yes he went in strong, but if he'd have pulled out, he would have rightly been reprimanded from all angles. He made a good challenge, timed it well and won the ball. The only outside factor that played any part on that was that Diaby had been the victim of a much worse tackle before, and decided that was a good enough reason to react to this one. Joey Barton is an absolute shitbag, he's a very good footballer, but he's a disgusting human being, and unfortunately for him, this reputation follows him around. If that tackle had been made by anyone else on the pitch, we wouldn't even have a debate, and that's why Barton shouldn't have a case to answer, it's only his reputation that skews the view of the tackle, and that's wrong.

Andy
February 6th, 2011, 6:35 PM
http://arsenalist.com/video/?id=xgwj72

Not a good tackle.

Bad Collin
February 6th, 2011, 6:37 PM
He got the ball. Diaby pussied out and got hurt.

Simon
February 6th, 2011, 6:45 PM
Yep, sorry Andy but you are wrong on this one. Got the ball cleanly and his follow through hurt Diaby because he pulled out. That is the sort of thing you learn as a kid, you don't pull out of tackles because counter-intuitively you're MORE likely to get injured.

I can understand why Diaby reacted the way he did because of his history of injuries, but the tackle was fine.

Lagom
February 6th, 2011, 6:54 PM
http://arsenalist.com/video/?id=xgwj72

Not a good tackle.

Trust me, it's not because i haven't seen it that i'm not condemning it, it's that i see nothing fundamentally wrong with the challenge. He's gone in strong to win the ball just over the half way line, as you would expect any player in the same position to do, he's won the ball for his team, and unfortunately -but not coincidentally- for Diaby, the follow through has made an impact. It's a very good challenge, and not a patch on the Huth challenge on Kelly that happened a couple of evenings ago, which had it made proper contact, could have resulted in an Eduardo/Ramsey scale injury.

Andy
February 6th, 2011, 6:57 PM
It doesn't matter if he got the ball or not, that still seems to be the standard defence for these tackles and it's not right. Just as it doesn't necessarily have to be two footed or studs up to be sent off.

Barton there has launched himself into the tackle (and how on earth did Diaby pussy out of that by the way?) and fully leaves the ground. It gets worse and worse every time you see it because it's 12 stone of scum flying into Diaby's planted leg. He has no control over it whatsoever which is what makes it so dangerous. Took the ball, through the man but luckily not through the leg.

Simon, how did he pull out? You can see him going for the ball in the video, with the leg that Barton smashes in to.

And the reason Barton's reputation goes before him is not just because he's a scum bag, it's because he has form for these tackles. I might be inclined to believe the one on Diaby had been a mistimed tackle with no intent had it been someone else, but he did EXACTLY the same thing to Arshavin in the first half. It just happened that Arshavin's leg wasn't planted.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xgwqng

I know some people will argue these aren't bad tackles but I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I think they're horrible and dangerous. Maybe they were fine in the 80s, not any more.

Andy
February 6th, 2011, 6:59 PM
And by the way, I'm not saying it should be considered as similar to ones like Huth, Robinson, Shawcross and Taylor etc, they are much worse and much more dangerous. I still think both those Barton ones are really bad challenges though. Could easily make a case for a red card.

Lagom
February 6th, 2011, 7:06 PM
I'm not in agreement with those that have said Diaby has pussied out of that, he hasn't, he just wasn't coming in half as quick as Barton. Barton has shown a willingness to get to tat ball, he's committing himself to it, and he's got there in plenty of time. The fact that he's won the ball isn't irrelevant, as you;d like to believe, because if Diaby has just nicked that ball out of the way, and a lot of quick-footed players would have done, Barton would have missed it, clattered the players and picked up a deserved yellow card, or perhaps, because of his reputation, a red. As it stands however, he was well within his rights to go for that, he was in with a good chance of winning it, and did, and his conduct was exemplary, given Diaby's outburst.

Lagom
February 6th, 2011, 7:13 PM
And Andy, i hadn't seen that dailymotion clip of the Barton challenge in Arshavin, but if you're claiming that's a bad one you need to have a look at yourself and your players. Barton was obviously already on the floor before Arshavin puts his foot on the ball to turn, and has no chance of pulling out of the tackle. Secondly, it cuts off just a wee bit too late to gloss over the absolute shite Diaby challenge on Barton immediately after.

Diaby goes in late, with the studs on his right boot up, intentionally to hit Barton and make up for what had just happened to Arshavin, add to that the fact that he inexplicably stays down clutching his face, you're looking at something much more cuntish and reprehensible than either of Barton's challenges

Andy
February 6th, 2011, 7:25 PM
What? Barton lands on Diaby's head. Nothing intentional, he just lands on his head.

Bad Collin
February 14th, 2011, 4:58 PM
Makoun against Blackpool, fucking nasty.

Andy
February 14th, 2011, 5:04 PM
And that Forest lad yesterday.

Gary J
February 15th, 2011, 8:27 AM
Targeted Teams

Arsenal - 4
Bolton - 2
Everton - 2
Aston Villa - 1
Birmingham - 1
Blackburn - 1
Blackpool - 1
Fulham - 1
Liverpool -1
Man Utd - 1
Newcastle - 1
Wolves - 1
Wigan - 1

Guilty Teams

Aston Villa - 2 (Baker , Makoun)
Wolves - 2 (Henry x2)
Birmingham - 1 (Johnson)
Bolton - 1 (Robinson)
Everton - 1 (Felllaini)
Fulham - 1 (Dempsey)
Man City - 1 (De Jong)
Spurs - 1 (Jenas)

I steal cable
February 15th, 2011, 9:01 AM
And that Forest lad yesterday.

aye, what the fuck Majewski was thinking I don't know

I was embarrassed/ashamed after he committed that tackle, lucky he didn't catch the bloke.

JIJ
February 15th, 2011, 9:10 AM
Jack Wilshere has said Arsenal need to get nasty against Barcelona.

Interesting. Let's see what Andy has to say about this, fucking idiot walking about here like a big fat bowl of fruity pebbles

Red Dog
February 15th, 2011, 9:34 AM
aye, what the fuck Majewski was thinking I don't know

I was embarrassed/ashamed after he committed that tackle, lucky he didn't catch the bloke.
He does it all the time.

He did it against Derby. He can't tackle to save his life.

Usually Paul McKenna saves him from getting into trouble though as he helps the ref to ref the game :lol:

Andy
February 15th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Jack Wilshere has said Arsenal need to get nasty against Barcelona.

Interesting. Let's see what Andy has to say about this, fucking idiot walking about here like a big fat bowl of fruity pebbles

I imagine what he means is that Arsenal will close them down and niggle at them to try and disrupt their rhythm. I very much doubt we'll kick the shit out of them.

Gary J
February 15th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Wilshere might kick the shit out of people he has a nasty streak in him. Not a bad thing that he's not afraid to get stuck in but some of his challenges have been of the type Arsenal fans complain about when they are the subject of them.

JIJ
February 16th, 2011, 4:20 AM
Little niggly fouls?? Isn't that what Arsenal are always moaning about teams doing to them to disrupt them??

:nono:

Andy
February 16th, 2011, 6:04 AM
Always? I don't think I've moeaned about it once this season. :dunno:

Gary J
February 16th, 2011, 6:08 AM
He didn't say you were moaning. He said Arsenal were always moaning about it.

The Rosk
February 16th, 2011, 6:11 AM
I imagine what he means is that Arsenal will close them down and niggle at them to try and disrupt their rhythm. I very much doubt we'll kick the shit out of them.

Fucking hell Andy :lol:

The Rosk
February 16th, 2011, 6:11 AM
Yeah we need to close them down and play the NASTY offside trap :Lskl;jsklams

Andy
February 16th, 2011, 6:26 AM
I don't think Wenger's moaned about it much this season either, has he? He didn't say anything after Lee Bowyer went around kicking and stamping when we played Birmingham or after the game vs Blackburn. Cesc had his little petulant comment about Ipswich but that was more the fact they were playing long balls all day.

We've not played Stoke yet though...

Gary J
February 16th, 2011, 6:40 AM
To be fair Arsenal's main moaning this season has come from twitter and Wilshere and Fabregas both moaning about referees. Yet they didn't seem to get fined like Babel.

As for Fabregas "rugby team" comment about Ipswich. How dare Ipswich use a tactic that Arsenal were vulnerable against in order to win the game.

Andy
February 16th, 2011, 6:42 AM
I know, I agree. It was poor from Fabregas.

The reason Cesc and Wilshere didn't get fined is because they questioned the consistency of refereeing decisions across all of the league's refs. Babel questioned the integrity of one referee.

son_of_foley
February 16th, 2011, 6:42 AM
To be fair Arsenal's main moaning this season has come from twitter and Wilshere and Fabregas both moaning about referees. Yet they didn't seem to get fined like Babel.

As for Fabregas "rugby team" comment about Ipswich. How dare Ipswich use a tactic that Arsenal were vulnerable against in order to win the game.

To be fair what Wilshire said and what Babel said are polls apart.

Gary J
February 16th, 2011, 6:49 AM
Well yeah but if you are going to fine one player for criticising a ref for his performance during a game. You have do the same when another player does. For the record i don't think Babel should have been fined either.

son_of_foley
February 16th, 2011, 6:52 AM
Babel didn't just criticise him though he had a picture of him wearing a united shirt. That's questioning his integrity and his ability to referee games involving United in the future. Wilshire called a decision "inconsistent" whilst he's indicating he got it wrong he hasnt even explicitly said that, he could claim he's seeking clarification on the decision, but he's never questioned the referees intention or his ability to impartially referee.

son_of_foley
February 16th, 2011, 6:58 AM
Also I think Wenger singled Stoke out for some abuse after they played Spurs so he has complained about them without having faced them yet

Andy
February 16th, 2011, 7:06 AM
That was just some lovely mind games. Didn't work though.

Gary J
February 16th, 2011, 7:08 AM
Babel didn't just criticise him though he had a picture of him wearing a united shirt. That's questioning his integrity and his ability to referee games involving United in the future. Wilshire called a decision "inconsistent" whilst he's indicating he got it wrong he hasnt even explicitly said that, he could claim he's seeking clarification on the decision, but he's never questioned the referees intention or his ability to impartially referee.

I thought he complained abouthow the ref didn't send off Nolan for what he did to Szcznesy but send off Diaby for his actions. That to me is suggesting that he thought the ref was favouring Newcastle in the game which is what Babel did and got fined for.

son_of_foley
February 16th, 2011, 7:10 AM
He said it was inconsistent not that he was cheating. He also didn't specifically say it was wrong

Andy
February 16th, 2011, 7:11 AM
He said what is the difference between what Nolan did and what Diaby did. You can see him saying that to the ref during the game as soon as it happened too.

Cesc asked what was the difference between the Wigan handball and the one which was
given against him vs Tottenham.

Probably shouldn't have done it but I don't think there's anything wrong with asking for clarification and consistency. Very different to posting a picture of Webb in a United shirt.

Andy
February 16th, 2011, 7:37 AM
Just seeing that Flamini tackle again, it really is horrendous. Probably the most dangerous one I've seen this season.

Gary J
February 16th, 2011, 7:38 AM
Like i said i don't think any of them should have been fined as there is nothing wrong with asking for clarification and consistency. Managers come out and will make comments like that and not get fined.

But if Babel is going to get fined for criticising a refs performance after a game then i don't see why Wilshere didn't either.

Gary J
February 28th, 2011, 3:14 PM
Bolton get closer to Arsenal after Taylor's challenge on Elmander

Targeted Teams

Arsenal - 4
Bolton - 3
Everton - 2
Aston Villa - 1
Birmingham - 1
Blackburn - 1
Blackpool - 1
Fulham - 1
Liverpool -1
Man Utd - 1
Newcastle - 1
Wolves - 1
Wigan - 1

Guilty Teams

Wolves - 2 (Henry x2)
Birmingham - 1 (Johnson)
Bolton - 1 (Robinson)
Everton - 1 (Felllaini)
Fulham - 1 (Dempsey)
Man City - 1 (De Jong)
Newcastle - 1 (Taylor)
Spurs - 1 (Jenas)

Gary J
March 6th, 2011, 3:20 PM
After todays Liverpool/Man Utd match seems two more need to be added to the list. So on go Carragher and Rafael.

Targeted Teams

Arsenal - 4
Bolton - 3
Everton - 2
Liverpool - 2
Man Utd - 2
Aston Villa - 1
Birmingham - 1
Blackburn - 1
Blackpool - 1
Fulham - 1
Newcastle - 1
Wolves - 1
Wigan - 1

Guilty Teams

Liverpool - 3 (Cole , Gerrard , Carragher)
Wolves - 2 (Henry x2)
Birmingham - 1 (Johnson)
Bolton - 1 (Robinson)
Everton - 1 (Felllaini)
Fulham - 1 (Dempsey)
Man City - 1 (De Jong)
Man Utd - 1 (Rafael)
Newcastle - 1 (Taylor)
Spurs - 1 (Jenas)

Gary J
March 6th, 2011, 3:24 PM
Should the Maxi Rodriguez challenge be added ? I've seen a few mentions of it in the footy thread and having not seen the game as i was ill and asleep on the sofa i can't really comment.

I only added the Carragher and Rafael challenges because there were a few comments about how nasty both challenges were.

Andy
March 6th, 2011, 3:45 PM
Nah. His was a poor challenge but a yellow card offence, definitely not a red or a horror tackle.

Lagom
March 6th, 2011, 5:38 PM
I don't know if I was the only one who noticed it, but in the aftermath of the Rafael/Maxi incident, Suarez came up and pulled the kid's hair, bad form, and he's lucky the ref missed it

Bad Collin
March 6th, 2011, 6:13 PM
I think our definition of horror tackles is getting silly now. Carra was a bit late on Nani and Raf went in for a 50:50 with Lucas.

Keano's Magic Hat
March 6th, 2011, 6:14 PM
Are you taking the piss? Carragher went in studs up at shin height on Nani's standing leg. It's one of the worst tackles I've seen this season.

JIJ
March 6th, 2011, 6:17 PM
I think our definition of horror tackles is getting silly now. Carra was a bit late on Nani and Raf went in for a 50:50 with Lucas.

Carragher deliberately did him you scenester cunt

Bad Collin
March 6th, 2011, 6:43 PM
It was nothing, Gerrard's foul on Carrick in the cup game was a horror tackle but there was nothing today that was out of place for a nice, tense derby match.

Chris Scott
March 6th, 2011, 8:14 PM
I don't know if I was the only one who noticed it, but in the aftermath of the Rafael/Maxi incident, Suarez came up and pulled the kid's hair, bad form, and he's lucky the ref missed it

Hahaha that was funny.

You can tell Suarez is a little shit.

Red Dog
March 7th, 2011, 6:51 AM
Suarez is a snide little bastard like that. Great player though.

It was reasons like this that Bad Collin said he didnt want him playing for Liverpool Football Club.

Bet he has changed his tune now eh!

Brennino
March 7th, 2011, 7:31 AM
Bad Colin you are a fucking idiot sir if you are not taking the piss.

Lagom
March 7th, 2011, 7:45 AM
Technically, BC is right about both challenges.

Carragher WAS late on Nani, BUT it was still a disgusting challenge, I'm not gonna say it was deliberate, because I don't want to think it was, but it was very high, and he's lucky that the ref booked him, otherwise he'd be looking at a ban of at least 3 gamesm

Rafael DID go in for a 50/50, BUT, tensions were high from the challenge that had just gone, and Maxi had just caught him on the thigh, so he went in far too recklessly and with both feet off the floor. Like Rooney, he's lucky that the lad's reaction was to want to carry on playing, unfortunately, the rest of the 2 teams didn't feel the same.

So yeah, technically he's right, but they were both awful challenges, and they both should feel that they got off lightly

Andy
April 2nd, 2011, 2:41 PM
Better add N'Zonzi on Koscielny from today.

Also, make what you will of this stat.

Arsenal have seen their opponents receive eight red cards in the Premier League this season, twice as many as any other side.

turdpower
April 2nd, 2011, 3:36 PM
I suppose to an Arsenal that suggests they get fouled more. To other people however this may suggest that referees have been taken in by Wenger.

Gary J
April 3rd, 2011, 10:47 AM
Targeted Teams

Arsenal - 5
Bolton - 3
Everton - 2
Liverpool - 2
Man Utd - 2
Aston Villa - 1
Birmingham - 1
Blackburn - 1
Blackpool - 1
Fulham - 1
Newcastle - 1
Wolves - 1
Wigan - 1

Guilty Teams

Wolves - 2 (Henry x2)
Birmingham - 1 (Johnson)
Blackburn - 1 (N'Zonzi)
Bolton - 1 (Robinson)
Everton - 1 (Felllaini)
Fulham - 1 (Dempsey)
Man City - 1 (De Jong)
Man Utd - 1 (Rafael)
Newcastle - 1 (Taylor)
Spurs - 1 (Jenas)

RFF Champ
April 23rd, 2011, 4:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYgaIPUqLSM

Not related to the purpose of the thread but fuck me, the audible snap is horrible.

Simon
May 5th, 2011, 9:59 AM
Arsenal have had more red cards than every other team except West Brom, and more yellow cards than everyone except Newcastle and City. They have the second worst disciplinary record in the Prem.

http://www.premierleague.com/page/Statistics/0,,12306,00.html

Andy
May 5th, 2011, 10:04 AM
What relevance does that have to a horror tackles thread?

Simon
May 5th, 2011, 10:06 AM
Well apart from the fact that a couple of them were for horror tackles, it highlights once again that Arsenal have no place complaining about how any other team plays their football.

Andy
May 5th, 2011, 10:08 AM
No it doesn't.

About three of those red cards were for Koscielny making mistimed last man tackles.

Simon
May 5th, 2011, 10:12 AM
No, I'm afraid it us. When you have OFFICIALLY the second worst disciplinary record in the league, you cannot complain about the conduct of other teams without it being unarguably hypocritical.

Andy
May 5th, 2011, 10:16 AM
It's not unarguably hypocritical. If anything it gives us no right to complain about cynical fouls. We've had one red for a bad foul as far as I can remember, does that negate the right to complain about teams who have had four or five reds for that reason just because we has a total of six red cards for different reasons? Don't be silly.

Also you've made up some of these horror tackle red cards because I can only remember Wilshere on Zigic.

Andy
May 5th, 2011, 10:19 AM
If you really want to do this properly you'll need to find out what our bookings and red cards were for and compare them to what Wenger has complained about this season. Wenger also hasn't complained about styles that much this season, less than usual anyway. He had a dig at Spurs for kicking the shit out of Wilshere in the Carling Cup and spoke about Stoke unfairly crowding the ref that I can remember.

It's very nice bringing out your little stats to try and have a go but implying that this proves Arsenal to be a team who puts in a lot of horror tackles is just plain wrong.

Simon
May 5th, 2011, 10:27 AM
You can't pick and choose what you want to get upset about based on what behaviour your team do and don't involve themselves in. It's bollocks. Overall, Arsenal are the second worst team in the league disciplinary wise, as I believe they have consistently been over the years (?). Ignoring that and trying to concentrate on one area where, judging by this thread, they are hardly an innocent party (the most targetted team, but also the team that commits the most) is pathetically hypocritical. There's no way around that.

Andy
May 5th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Yes this thread which has been so scientifically constructed is good proof. If I remember correctly, the RVP challenge listed is one which only you saw and could provide no evidence of.

A quick google search shows that in the last five years Arsenal have been 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th and 7th in the disciplinary table.

Maybe we need to keep our cool better. If Diaby, Song and Sagna hadn't lashed out we'd be about 8 or 9 places better off.

In other words, yes you can pick and choose the stats. Sagna has been sent off three times this season. Two were mistimed challenges which denied goal scoring opportunities, one was lashing out. Does that make him a dirty player? Does that mean he can't complain if someone flies off the ground at him? Of course it doesn't, obviously you need a bit of context if you want to make incorrect implications.

Simon
May 5th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Well you can pick and choose your stats if you want to look like a blinkered fuckwit, but no one is buying your shit.

Andy
May 5th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Yet you've posted a table in the horror tackles thread which shows absolutely no evidence of Arsenal being worse than anyone else for. Yes well done sir, very good.

Keano's Magic Hat
May 5th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Barring Porto a few years ago, Arsenal have been consistently the dirtiest, snidest side United face each year. I posted this a few months back, I'm thinking it was prior to the last couple of games:

Last five meetings between United and Arsenal:

Yellow Cards:

Man Utd: 3
Arsenal: 19

Arsene Wenger = Anti-football. But of course, as long as none of these were 'Horror' tackles, it's fine, right? :rolleyes:

RFF Champ
May 5th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Ours is so bad because of Tiote and Nolan. They get booked all the time. It's like having Butt and Smith again.

Simon
May 5th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Tiote's been booked 15 times this season :lol: with the suspensions and injuries he can only have played 25 or so times?!

RFF Champ
May 5th, 2011, 11:05 AM
I think he's already missed six games through suspension. We play noticeably worse when he's out the team too.

If he gets 15 in the league then he gets a three game ban which would carry over to next season as well.

Andy
May 5th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Didn't Fellaini do the same in his first season?

Gary J
May 8th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Todays challenge by Wilshere on Whitehead (?)

Targeted Teams

Arsenal - 5
Bolton - 3
Everton - 2
Liverpool - 2
Man Utd - 2
Aston Villa - 1
Birmingham - 1
Blackburn - 1
Blackpool - 1
Fulham - 1
Newcastle - 1
Stoke - 1
Wolves - 1
Wigan - 1

Guilty Teams

Arsenal - 4 (Wilshere x2 , Fabregas , Van persie)
Wolves - 2 (Henry x2)
Birmingham - 1 (Johnson)
Blackburn - 1 (N'Zonzi)
Bolton - 1 (Robinson)
Everton - 1 (Felllaini)
Fulham - 1 (Dempsey)
Man City - 1 (De Jong)
Man Utd - 1 (Rafael)
Newcastle - 1 (Taylor)
Spurs - 1 (Jenas)

Andy
May 8th, 2011, 10:21 AM
You're having a laugh if you think that's a horror tackle Gary, you must be becoming more sensitive to them than me.

He was a bit late and caught the player, the ref said one more and he's booked.

Gary J
May 8th, 2011, 10:23 AM
His studs were up and he went into the back of him.

Andy
May 8th, 2011, 10:25 AM
His momentum took him into the man. Not off the ground. It was a foul, maybe a yellow card at worst. You can't seriously think that was worthy of a red/being called a horror tackle? :wtf:

Gary J
May 8th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Well if anyone else watching the game doesn't deem it a horror tackle i shall take it off the table.

RFF Champ
May 8th, 2011, 10:34 AM
http://arsenalist.com/video/?id=xilwet

That's a video of the challenge.

I say it's a bad challenge but not worthy of being counted in here.

Simon
Wilshere's one there is disgusting. Looking forward to Andy's response.

Andy
Fucking hell, he's not helping my case is he. That tackle probably could've been a red. Got the ball but studs up coming down from the side on the ball.

Red Dog
May 8th, 2011, 10:35 AM
I'd love to go studs up into a challenge with Pennant.

Simon
May 8th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Both of them were nailed on reds. One yellow is madness. Both potentially leg breakers.

Romford Pele
May 8th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Wilshires wasnt a horror tackle.

It wasnt even two footed.

Andy
May 8th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Not being two footed doesn't mean it can't be a bad challenge. The second one was very poor.

Romford Pele
May 8th, 2011, 11:03 AM
I know, but he gets the ball first then follows through on the man.

A bad tackle? Yes. A horror tackle? No

Gary J
May 8th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Yeah that second one saved me the trouble of taking the first one off the list.

Simon
May 8th, 2011, 2:21 PM
They should both be on the list. Adam's one on Bale yesterday as well.

Lazurus
May 8th, 2011, 2:24 PM
http://arsenalist.com/video/?id=xilwet

That's a video of the challenge.

I say it's a bad challenge but not worthy of being counted in here.

First time I've seen that as I missed the game.

Horrible tackle from a horrible human being. That man will end someone's career by the time he's done.

Gary J
May 8th, 2011, 3:07 PM
Yeah i'll add the Charlie Adam one i hadn't seen it until i watched MotD on sky plus so was only going by what the papers were saying.

Targeted Teams

Arsenal - 5
Bolton - 3
Everton - 2
Liverpool - 2
Man Utd - 2
Aston Villa - 1
Birmingham - 1
Blackburn - 1
Blackpool - 1
Fulham - 1
Newcastle - 1
Spurs - 1
Stoke - 1
Wolves - 1
Wigan - 1

Guilty Teams

Wolves - 2 (Henry x2)
Birmingham - 1 (Johnson)
Blackburn - 1 (N'Zonzi)
Blackpool - 1 (Adam)
Bolton - 1 (Robinson)
Everton - 1 (Felllaini)
Fulham - 1 (Dempsey)
Man City - 1 (De Jong)
Man Utd - 1 (Rafael)
Newcastle - 1 (Taylor)
Spurs - 1 (Jenas)

I'm going to leave the first Wilshere challenge off for the moment since there seems an equal difference of opinion about it belonging in here.

Lazurus
May 8th, 2011, 4:02 PM
Three stirkes and you're out. Lifetime ban for Wilshere then?

Gary J
May 8th, 2011, 4:18 PM
If he did get a lifetime ban at least we wouldn't get the media wankfest about what a great player he is. :rolleyes:

Lazurus
May 8th, 2011, 4:22 PM
If he did get a lifetime ban at least we wouldn't get the media wankfest about what a great player he is. :rolleyes:

http://forums.rajah.com/showpost.php?p=6696314&postcount=1877

Andy
May 22nd, 2011, 7:33 PM
Gera on Vermaelen. Christ.

Simon
May 23rd, 2011, 4:31 AM
Sturridge's on Dzeko was worse. Coleman's on Mikel was bad too.

son_of_foley
May 23rd, 2011, 4:36 AM
I thought Geras wasnt 'that' bad but I only saw it maybe twice

Simon
May 23rd, 2011, 4:43 AM
It was pretty bad. Two-footed, off the ground...it was low so it was unlikely to do any damage but he didn't have any control over it.

Red Dog
May 23rd, 2011, 5:10 AM
So is the conclusion of this thread that Arsenal are the dirtiest team in the Premiership then.

JIJ
May 23rd, 2011, 5:48 AM
Gera on Vermaelen. Christ.

ahaha what??

That was barely a shocking tackle let alone a horror tackle

son_of_foley
May 23rd, 2011, 6:39 AM
That was my thoughts. I mean off the ground? Not really he was along the ground at point of contact wasnt he? The fact it was two footed doesnt necessarily mean twice as dangerous. If he had lunged with one and tucked the other leg there's a good chance it could've forced the leading leg higher.

I thought it was a silly tackle to make with the rules the way they are but I dont think it was a HORROR tackle or that ridiculous a challenge.

Simon
May 23rd, 2011, 6:46 AM
I got sent off/sin-binned in 5-a-side last Monday for a slide tackle (they are banned :wtf...) when all I did was go in for the tackle, lose balance and then, when on the floor, toe-poked the ball away. The referee clearly didn't understand that a slide tackle isn't simply "any tackle that is made while you are on the floor".

son_of_foley
May 23rd, 2011, 6:57 AM
They have to keep it black and white. I got sinbinned for streching to block a pass as I left my feet. The guy receiving the pass was about 7ft away from me so I was near no-one. Sinbin and penalty.

Didn't do it again.

Keano's Magic Hat
May 23rd, 2011, 9:38 AM
Andy, you are insane.

Simon
May 23rd, 2011, 9:39 AM
:wtf: It looked pretty bad to me.

Keano's Magic Hat
May 23rd, 2011, 9:41 AM
Also, I doubt that Arsenal have really been the most targeted side. It's just their (fans, manager & players') incessant whinging helps draw attention to every mistimed tackle.. and in turn, more people will jump on a poor Arsenal tackle as a means of showing them up as hypocrites. I highly doubt that Arsenal are both the most targeted, and/or the dirtiest team in the Premier League.

Simon
May 23rd, 2011, 9:46 AM
I think it's a more local issue than that KMH, in that Andy sprints from his seat to post here the moment any opposition player leaves the ground, whereas most others don't really bother and only tend to comment on the ones that make big news. There will have been more than one bad tackle on a Spurs player this season but I don't really care because I don't have victim syndrome.

That said, I don't understand how you lot are defending the Gera tackle, it was pretty bad.

Simon
May 23rd, 2011, 9:48 AM
Although they are proveably one of the dirtiest, second bottom in the discipline table.

Keano's Magic Hat
May 23rd, 2011, 9:50 AM
the victim syndrome definitely comes from the manager and players' comments

Brennino
May 23rd, 2011, 10:10 AM
Although they are proveably one of the dirtiest, second bottom in the discipline table.

Is the bottom Tiote on his own?

son_of_foley
May 23rd, 2011, 10:29 AM
I think they are targetted quite a bit. I think the media thing works both ways as people think they are a soft touch and so set out to give them a bit

Keano's Magic Hat
May 23rd, 2011, 10:30 AM
they're as targeted as any of the top sides.

The idea that teams set out to 'do' Arsenal is a myth. The likes of Bolton (in yesteryears) and Stoke play the exact same way against United and Chelsea, too. The difference is, that unlike Arsenal, United and Chelsea aren't a bunch of fairies, mollycoddled to the point of insanity by their whinging bastard of a manager.

son_of_foley
May 23rd, 2011, 10:32 AM
That said, I don't understand how you lot are defending the Gera tackle, it was pretty bad.

I think I've come the closest to actively defending it and even then it was a moronic tackle but I think a lot of it just comes from a flash card type reference for

LEFT HIS FEET
USED BOTH FEET
VERMALEN WENT UP IN THE AIR

I mean I thought he was close to the ball had a chance at the ball, thought it was quite controlled as his feet seemed low on contact and I had thought his studs were downturned. He could've caught Vermalens standing foot of course but it certainly looked more a foot than half way up the shin or whatever.

I didn't think he went through it particularly hard either. I think seperate to Shawcross who went to smash it absolutley smash it Gera didn't go that hard.

son_of_foley
May 23rd, 2011, 10:33 AM
they're as targeted as any of the top sides.

I'ld lean a little to suggest they are targetted a bit more. Not massively so but a bit more. I know teams go in hard on the likes of United etc and it would be stupid to suggest otherwise but there isn't the notion of them having that really soft underbelly.

I mean how often do you see people writing about smashing into Chelsea to put them off their game plan? Very rarely as their game plan can adapt to the physical game.

Keano's Magic Hat
May 23rd, 2011, 10:39 AM
I'ld lean a little to suggest they are targetted a bit more. Not massively so but a bit more. I know teams go in hard on the likes of United etc and it would be stupid to suggest otherwise but there isn't the notion of them having that really soft underbelly.

I mean how often do you see people writing about smashing into Chelsea to put them off their game plan? Very rarely as their game plan can adapt to the physical game.

They play the exact same way

In the last couple of visits to Stoke, Arsenal have been on the receiving end of 4 bookable challenges. Stoke also made 4 yellow card worthy tackles in the same number of games against United, and 5 against Chelsea.

In those games, United have been booked 3 times. Chelsea 4, and Arsenal have taken 4 yellow cards and a red.

I know this is by no means conclusive, but I've always found the idea that Arsenal are targeted to be somewhat absurd. And those stats do support that.

son_of_foley
May 23rd, 2011, 10:47 AM
They play the exact same way

In the last couple of visits to Stoke, Arsenal have been on the receiving end of 4 bookable challenges. Stoke also made 4 yellow card worthy tackles in the same number of games against United, and 5 against Chelsea.

In those games, United have been booked 3 times. Chelsea 4, and Arsenal have taken 4 yellow cards and a red.

I know this is by no means conclusive, but I've always found the idea that Arsenal are targeted to be somewhat absurd. And those stats do support that.

But refereeing isnt consistent. In a FA cup game between the 20 sides Stoke gave away 20 fouls and didnt get a booking. I don't think the level of cards really shows much but the interpretation of the rules at that time

Keano's Magic Hat
May 23rd, 2011, 10:50 AM
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport-old/football/2008/03/03/martin-o-neill-raps-arsene-wenger-in-fouls-bust-up-115875-20338522/

"O'Neill was left fuming at Wenger's pre-match assertion that Arsenal are victimised by referees because they get picked on even though they have committed the least number of fouls in the Premier League in the past three years.

Wenger had also claimed wrongly that Arsenal were the most fouled team in the Premier League when Opta stats showed they were the third most fouled team behind Manchester United and Everton

"He said Arsenal were the most fouled team and they were this, this and this.
"Then a stat came along and said they were the 12th most fouled team, then another stat had Manchester United as the most fouled team. He's a brilliant manager, he's a bad mathematician."

-- ---- ----- -----

Newcastle are the most fouled side this season

JIJ
May 23rd, 2011, 10:52 AM
Arsenal were dirty fuckers at Old Trafford this season.

It's OK for them to foul teams that are better than them but not for anyone else to

Keano's Magic Hat
May 23rd, 2011, 10:55 AM

It's OK for them to foul teams that are better than them but not for anyone else to

Yup. In 5 games between United and Arsenal:

Yellow Cards

Manchester United - 3
Arsenal - 18

fucking hell :D

Keano's Magic Hat
May 23rd, 2011, 10:56 AM
Also, I should note that that those stats do not include the most recent game at the Emirates and/or the Cup game at Old Trafford this season.

Arsenal are consistently the dirtiest side United face each season. The only time that wasn't the case was when Mourinho's Porto cheated their way past United to a Champions League semi final :mad:

Andy
May 23rd, 2011, 10:59 AM
Actually I got an iPhone so I don't have to sprint from my chair. Chair, pub, bed...I have this thread at my fingertips at all times. And Angry Birds.

son_of_foley
May 23rd, 2011, 11:00 AM
There's a difference between types of foul as evident in this thread.

Do you not even agree that the perceived weakness means teams fancy their chances more against Arsenal in the thoughts they can disturb their rythmn? That's how it seems to me. I don't think it's seen as being as effective against other sides but that's not to suggest other teams don't get fouled or they hysteria from Arsenal fans when a bad tackle does happen isn't ott.

I think things like most fouled can be misleading. Kevin Davies normally is up there are most fouled against and that's not because he's targetted but because he engages in physical battles more often.

Like take for example the United Liverpool game that featured that tackle and injury on Nani.

United got booked more often. Gave away the same number of fouls. Dirk Kuyt was fouled more than Nani is he singled out for more rough treatment than Nani? Of course he isn't Nani is contiunally kicked around the place.

Simon
May 23rd, 2011, 11:02 AM
Arsenal's team is full of angry birds.

Keano's Magic Hat
May 23rd, 2011, 11:05 AM
18 yellow cards to 3 is not a misleading stat.

I gave you yellow cards, and you responded with the suggestion that the number of fouls received was more indicative of style of play. I've now dug out some foul stats and you're changing the story once again.

I've already stated that this is by no means conclusive, but it's as good as it gets [/harry redknapp]. Your argument is flimsy, imo.

son_of_foley
May 23rd, 2011, 11:31 AM
My argument wasnt that number of fouls was more indicative it was that refereeing is inconsistent and therefore playing stats in a plain manner is misleading. I am not changing my story.

I've even done the same thing on a smaller basis with the United Liverpool game this year. Stats suggest United were the dirtier side targetting Dirk Kuyt but it was Nani who was stretchered off.

Is there a mental frailty that stops Arsenal coming back from these fouls like you suggest? Yes. That would be one reason that sides would do it more surely? I mean if you are saying Arsenal are frail ( a bunch of fairies who cant deal with it) because of it and United and Chelsea aren't then why would people not single them out for it? I mean why would teams forgo an advantage?

You always take this as a slight that somehow people are suggesting United have it easy. I am not. If United had this soft underbelly in terms of temperment I think they would get kicked more. Do I think Ballotelli gets singled out more than Dzeko will for fouls? Yep and again that's down to his temperment as much as it's possibly about skill or pace. It happens. Do I think it's massive difference between the top sides? Not really but a bit more against Arsenal because they don't seem as capable of dealing with it.

son_of_foley
May 23rd, 2011, 11:32 AM

They also tried to mix it up with Stoke this year. I'm certainly not claiming they are abused children here. I was going to say nobody is claiming they are innocent here but then I remembered Andy might post again soon

Gary J
May 23rd, 2011, 1:25 PM
Only saw the Gera tackle quickly on SSN so can't really judge if it was a horror tackle. It didn't look that bad though at first glance. I'm not adding it as people don't seem to think it qualifies.

Saw the Sturridge one and that was definitely bad.

I've not see the tackle Coleman made on Mikel so can't comment on that but will add it.

Targeted Teams

Arsenal - 5
Bolton - 3
Everton - 2
Liverpool - 2
Man Utd - 2
Aston Villa - 1
Birmingham - 1
Blackburn - 1
Blackpool - 1
Chelsea - 1
Fulham - 1
Man City - 1
Newcastle - 1
Spurs - 1
Stoke - 1
Wolves - 1
Wigan - 1

Guilty Teams

Bolton - 2 (Robinson , Sturridge)
Everton - 2 (Felllaini , Coleman)
Wolves - 2 (Henry x2)
Birmingham - 1 (Johnson)
Blackburn - 1 (N'Zonzi)
Blackpool - 1 (Adam)
Fulham - 1 (Dempsey)
Man City - 1 (De Jong)
Man Utd - 1 (Rafael)
Newcastle - 1 (Taylor)
Spurs - 1 (Jenas)

Bad Collin
May 23rd, 2011, 2:11 PM
I still don't think that Cole's red was a horror tackle.

Gerrards might be the worst of the season though.

Chris Scott
May 23rd, 2011, 3:51 PM
Gerrard's against United? Nah Carraghers was worst.

Andy
June 8th, 2011, 5:37 PM
'kin hell

YouTube - ‪Uruguay - Nederland - Smerige overtreding op Van Persie niet bestraft - 08/07/11‬‏

El Capitano Gatisto
June 8th, 2011, 5:42 PM
Got the ball.

Bad Collin
August 7th, 2011, 4:07 PM
So, new season. Can Arsenal defend their double of dirtiest and most targeted team?

I am nominating Micah Richards today, I can't remember who he clattered but it was with both feet and he had no control over the challenge.

Keano's Magic Hat
August 7th, 2011, 4:07 PM
Ashley Young. Went in studs up, could have been a red but I wouldn't say it was a 'horror' tackle.

Bad Collin
August 7th, 2011, 6:36 PM
It was worse than Cole's last year

Keano's Magic Hat
August 7th, 2011, 7:02 PM
Aye, it was, but then I didn't think that was a horror tackle, either ;)

My thoughts at the time:

Never a red card but Joe Cole has always been a dirty bastard. Good.

I understand what you're saying, but the nature of Cole's attempted block was such that he was only ever going to make serious contact with the trailing leg. I've seen the incident a few times now and am still certain that it was worthy of a yellow and no more.

Anyway, this was a yellow card offence against ARSENAL, so it's deservedly deemed as a horror tackle worthy of a 5 match ban.

Mik
August 7th, 2011, 7:10 PM
Richard's tackle would've been a horror tackle, but there wasnt much contact.

Keano's Magic Hat
August 7th, 2011, 7:22 PM
actually, watching it again I think Mik is right. It could have been nasty.

‪Hard Slide Tackle Micah Richards ''Man City - Man U''‬‏ - YouTube

I take it he and Young don't get along. He went in to hurt him. Made other dodgy tackles on Young in the second half. Perhaps he's just crap at tackling? Crap fullback and a cunt.

Bad Collin
August 7th, 2011, 7:46 PM
It was a disgraceful lunge.

Simon
August 8th, 2011, 3:59 AM
Bad tackle but he clearly went for the ball, no reason to think he went to do Young.

Keano's Magic Hat
August 15th, 2011, 9:11 AM
Not one replay, not shown in any on the highlights.. imagine if Joey Barton had made this challenge

Carragher you dirty cunt. - YouTube

Simon
August 15th, 2011, 9:13 AM
That wasn't shown in the highlights?! It was one of the talking points of the first half FFS, in fact the same point you made about if it had been Barton was made, except with Cattermole (who had just been booked for something half as bad).

Simon
August 15th, 2011, 9:14 AM
Does Andy/whoever else accept from the list compiled by Gary J that, while it is accurate that they get hit by horror tackles more than anyone else, they also give out more than any else and so it is hypocritical to complain about being targeted?

Keano's Magic Hat
August 15th, 2011, 9:15 AM
That wasn't shown in the highlights?! It was one of the talking points of the first half FFS, in fact the same point you made about if it had been Barton was made, except with Cattermole (who had just been booked for something half as bad).

ha, it wasn't on match of the day, was it?! I was pissed, but i wasn't that pissed.

Simon
August 15th, 2011, 9:16 AM
Sorry I haven't worded it very well - I was expressing surprise that it wasn't shown on MOTD, not correcting you. I was watching it on a Fox stream, no idea if MOTD showed it as I was out gaying it up with the gays at Gay Pride.

MMH
August 15th, 2011, 10:09 AM
MOTDs panel didnt even mention it.

I didnt find it very surprising....

Red Dog
August 15th, 2011, 10:13 AM
That Colin Murray is a Liverpool fan, isnt he?

MMH
August 15th, 2011, 10:26 AM
That Colin Murray is a Liverpool fan, isnt he?

Yeah he is.

I like him a lot though.

Red Dog
August 15th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Yeah he is.

I like him a lot though.
This may come across as bitter but I and pretty much every fan I know notice a Leicester bias on the Football League show so it would hardly suprise me if there was a Liverpool one on MOTD2 (or MOTD for that matter), I just dont really notice it.