PDA

View Full Version : European/World Football Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

JIJ
November 24th, 2010, 7:14 AM
Due to the incredibly effective poll which my dear friend Red Dog set up I've decided to get the ball rolling with something I'm surprised hasn't been done before on here. Yes we've got the Spanish La Liga Thread but there are plenty of other leagues out there and seeing as there seems to be at least a few of us that follow the game away from SKY (:cool:) and, following on from MMH's comment in the poll thread, I figured we may as well have a thread that is focused on football outside of these beautiful isles.

Use this place to discuss the latest happenings on the continent and even further afield. If I can be arsed I may even try and write a weekly review of a few of the more interesting leagues around the globe. You're welcome.

Just to get things going, a quick update on everyone's favourite delusional football manager.....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ef/Adams%2C_Tony.jpg
In his first season in charge of Azerbaijani outfit Gabala FC, Toni (as it is spelt on the official website) has led his charges through a distinctly average first half of the season. Their current record of W5 D5 L4 sees them lying atop the bottom half of the brutal Azerbaijan Premier League (7th place), 11 points off the top.

His vision of Champions League football in three years may have to be revised :yes:

**LIVE FOOTBALL SCHEDULE**

http://www.livesportontv.com/football

Simon
November 24th, 2010, 7:15 AM
Up in Scotland, Rangers and Celtic are doing pretty well.

son_of_foley
November 24th, 2010, 7:34 AM
Can I bring my NI talk into here. A thread of just me talking about it would probably get tiring.

Please, I have no place to go

JIJ
November 24th, 2010, 7:47 AM
Of course you can.

Welcome brother.

MichaelC
November 24th, 2010, 8:13 AM
Up in Scotland, Rangers and Celtic are doing pretty well.

Scottish football thread for Old Firm pish surely? :D

I didn't know Tony(i) Adams was in Azerbaijan. Very interesting.

JIJ
November 24th, 2010, 8:17 AM
Seeing as how I'm bored and haven't got work till tonight, and in the interest of promoting discussion, I thought I'd start things off with a quick update of how things are looking around Europe as we approach the half way mark in the season.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9a/Flag_of_Spain.svg/22px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png Spain
In line with what has become a somewhat dull race for the title over recent years, Real and Barca have stormed away already. Only one point separates the top two (Real 32, Barca 31) but below that there is a gap of seven points to a resurgent Villarreal. Espanyol currently lie in 4th but as usual there looks set to be an exciting chase for those last Champions League spots what with just two points separating them from 7th placed Atletico Madrid. Valencia and Sevilla are in 5th and 6th respectively. At the bottom, Zaragoza lie in last place with just 8 points from their twelve games but one win could see them jump all the way to 15th, emphasising just how tight it is.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/03/Flag_of_Italy.svg/22px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png Italy
Is Mourinho a magician or Benitez a sack of shit? Who knows but Inter definitely aren't the same team as they were last year. A terrible run of form sees them lying outside the CL places in 6th at the moment while city rivals AC lead the way. Zlatan Ibrahimovic has been scoring for fun and alongside the Brazilian trio of Pato, Robinho and Ronaldinho Milan look like they may have the firepower to stay there. Lazio's ridiculous start has caught up with them slightly and they've dropped to 2nd after a couple of recent defeats including a 2-0 loss in the Rome derby. Napoli and Juventus occupy 3rd and 4th with Roma recovering from a dreadful start to claim 5th. Bari, Cesena and Brescia are the teams filling the drop zone as I type.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/ba/Flag_of_Germany.svg/22px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png Germany
1997 Champions League winners Borussia Dortmund are running away with the Bundesliga at the moment, 11 wins from 13 games has left them seven points clear of second placed Mainz, themselves a surprise package. Reigning champs Bayern Munich have started slowly once again but look to be heading in the right direction, the German giants sit in 8th but have suffered from a horrendous number of injuries to key players. Leverkusen are 3rd after making their, now annual, good start to the season before inevitably tailing off. Notable teams down the bottom include VfB Stuttgart who have recently got rid of manager Christian Gross and Schalke 04. Raul is hitting form though having hit 5 in 2 now so look for them to improve over the winter months. Steve McClaren's Wolfsburg side are currently in 11th after a non-descript opening to the season, although having seen 43 goals in their 13 games, it seems if you want entertainment they're the team to be following. One of the most unpredictable leagues in Europe, with lots of goals and with average attendances somewhere around 40-50k every week, the Bundesliga is fantastic stuff and I highly recommend it :yes:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c3/Flag_of_France.svg/22px-Flag_of_France.svg.png France
Easily the most open league in Europe at the moment. Just two points separate the top 8 teams, with nobody standing out as favourites so far. The big three from the last two years (Bordeaux, Marseille and Lyon) are all in there along with PSG, Lille, Rennes, Montpellier and newly-promoted Brest. Below that lot there is only five points between 9th and 19th! Every team has it all to play for still except perhaps for poor Arles-Avignon who sit 8 points adrift at the bottom with a meagre 6 points. If it wasn't for the fact Ligue 1 is one of the lowest scoring leagues in Europe then I would be giving it a thumbs up as well but the reason it is so tight is mainly due to the stupid amount of 0-0's and 1-1's.

More soon.

Simon
November 24th, 2010, 8:19 AM
Mmmmm but what about the Austrian Bundesliga mannschaften.

Bad Collin
November 24th, 2010, 8:21 AM
Is Mourinho a magician or Benitez a sack of shit?

Both

JIJ
November 24th, 2010, 8:23 AM
Anyone see Eto'o's lame attempt at a Zidane headbutt at the weekend? :lol:

Silly old wog.

MichaelC
Reid are leading surprisingly ahead of Sturm Graz (yes!) in 2nd and Austria Vienna in 3rd.

Salzburg are 5th on equal points with Villa's nightmare team Rapid who've both had meh domestic league campaigns so far. Wacker Innsbruck, recently promoted and from a beautiful part of the country are 4th, and perennial underachievers these days LASK Linz are bottom.

I know Simon was being sarcy, but I actually do like the Austrian league...

MMH
Mmmmm but what about the Austrian Bundesliga mannschaften.

Come on dont derail it...

(SV Reid are top by the way by two points over Sturm Graz...

JIJ
November 24th, 2010, 8:25 AM
Reid are leading surprisingly ahead of Sturm Graz (yes!) in 2nd and Austria Vienna in 3rd.

Salzburg are 5th on equal points with Villa's nightmare team Rapid who've both had meh domestic league campaigns so far. Wacker Innsbruck, recently promoted and from a beautiful part of the country are 4th, and perennial underachievers these days LASK Linz are bottom.

I know Simon was being sarcy, but I actually do like the Austrian league...

LASK Linz are mental. Last season, up until the halfway mark, weren't matches involving them averaging something like 8 a game??

Great stuff.

MichaelC
November 24th, 2010, 8:29 AM
LASK Linz are mental. Last season, up until the halfway mark, weren't matches involving them averaging something like 8 a game??

Great stuff.

It's because they had no defence, so they had to go for broke! Even this season they average well over 3 a game at rough estimate, it's just they lose more points than win - picked up 1 point in their last 5.

RFF Champ
November 24th, 2010, 8:30 AM
I thought it was crazy that Maierhoffer didn't go back to Austria on loan, instead going to the German 2nd division. He was scoring bagloads of goals in Austria and granted he was poor here he proved himself there.

JIJ
November 24th, 2010, 8:31 AM
Just looked it up, they scored 59 and conceded 70 in 36 games last season.

That's 129 goals in total.

An average of 3.58. Madness. If you'd have just bet on Over 2.5 goals a game for them all season you'd be a millionaire.

MichaelC
November 24th, 2010, 8:39 AM
I thought it was crazy that Maierhoffer didn't go back to Austria on loan, instead going to the German 2nd division. He was scoring bagloads of goals in Austria and granted he was poor here he proved himself there.

Maierhoffer. I saw him in a game Rapid played (vs Mattersburg I think), they were losing and he was going nuts, threatening the referee. He scored one goal and then was sent off for a shocking tackle, then he yelled at the ref some more and someone had to drag him off the pitch.

Within a fortnight he'd signed for Wolves.

JIJ
November 24th, 2010, 9:01 AM
Update continued.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/20/Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg/22px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png Netherlands
FC Twente have survived admirably without the magnificent Stevie Mac so far, being just three points off the top despite a disappointing 2-1 home loss at the weekend to the team they dethroned last season AZ Alkmaar. PSV lead the way with many people's (including mine) favourites Ajax going through a bumpy patch leaving them languishing in 4th tied on points with the above mentioned Alkmaar. Feyenoord's troubles go from bad to worse what with the ridiculous 10-0 defeat to PSV a couple of weeks back. Surprisingly though the fans have stuck by them and the manager, turning out in force the following week to show their support to the club. Groningen split the top five up and currently reside in 3rd.
Not 100% sure as I haven't checked, perhaps someone else can clarify (?), but I think the old playoff structure used for CL qualification has been done away with this year and is only being used to determine the 2nd Europa League qualifier? So as it stands PSV and Twente would be in the CL, Groningen the Europa and Ajax, AZ, Den Haag and Roda in the EL playoffs.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5c/Flag_of_Portugal.svg/22px-Flag_of_Portugal.svg.png Portugal
Jose Mourinho's protege Andre Villas-Boas is having a remarkable first season in charge of Porto, just like his mentor. They are ten points clear at the top having won 10 and drawn 1 of their first eleven outings. Last year's runaway leaders Benfica were humbled 5-0 when they visited the Dragao and nobody seems capable of catching them what with Braga's CL campaign draining their squad and Sporting Lisbon having sold all their best players. Benfica are 2nd, Sporting 4th and Braga 10th.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5c/Flag_of_Greece.svg/22px-Flag_of_Greece.svg.png Greece
Panathinaikos lead the way, but only on goal difference over fierce rivals Olympiakos. Pana won the derby 2-1 not so long ago behind two Djibril Cisse goals, the French striker topping the Greek goalscoring charts with ten so far.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b4/Flag_of_Turkey.svg/22px-Flag_of_Turkey.svg.png Turkey
Reigning champs Bursaspor have had little trouble adjusting to the extra demands of CL football (probably because they're doing shit) as they lie just two points behind leaders Trabzonspor. Traditional giants Fenerbahce and Galatasaray aren't quite up with the pace, Fener lie in 4th but are only six points off top spot whilst Gala are having a nightmare, losing 6 out of 13 so far and struggling to get any sort of consistency together. They are 10th and currently closer to relegation than the top.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f3/Flag_of_Russia.svg/22px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png Russia
With one game left to go in the much improved Russian Premier League Zenit have secured the title after a superb season which has seen them lose only twice (both recent defeats having come whilst the title was almost in the bag). CSKA are 2nd and assured of CL football next year whilst Rubin Kazan failed to make it a hat-trick of league titles and must go through the qualifying system next season in an attempt to make it a third year in a row amongst Europe's elite. Spartak and Lokomotiv will battle it out for the only Europa League spot available via the league, Spartak visit city rivals Dinamo whilst Lokomotiv host Rubin on the final day. At the bottom Sibir have gone down whilst the 2nd relegation spot will be decided on Sunday, its between Vladikavkaz, Amkar Perm, Kryliya Sovetov and Anzhi for that honour.

I'll leave it there as that is pretty much the limit what most of you will find interesting. They're the main European leagues I follow but if anyone wants info on any others just say and I'll have a look see what I can find :yes:

MMH
November 24th, 2010, 9:06 AM
Whats going on with Russias season? They are supposed to be failing into line now aren't they so that their leagues runs with other nations to give them better chances in Europe and International games.

JIJ
November 24th, 2010, 9:10 AM
A quick look on Wiki says it will switch to become a winter league for the start of the 2012/13 season.

Didn't know that. What the fuck am I gonna watch during the summer now? The Scandinavian leagues are poo.

MichaelC
November 24th, 2010, 9:12 AM
Whats going on with Russias season? They are supposed to be failing into line now aren't they so that their leagues runs with other nations to give them better chances in Europe and International games.

Really? There is a reason the Russians don't play in the Winter. Because it's almost utterly unfeasable.

Seen JIJ's post now. That sounds like a recipe for disaster.

JIJ
November 24th, 2010, 9:13 AM
Had another little idea, in that first post I might as well add an UPCOMING SCHEDULE thing whereby we can list what matches from around Europe are coming up on TV incase anyone wants to watch. What do ya think?

I'll do it anyway but I'll take it down if you think it's a bad idea. If there's anything I've missed (Betfair, Bet365 often have live games) just post them with the date and time and I'll add it to the list.

Andy
November 24th, 2010, 9:15 AM
Yeah that's a good shout, if you keep it updated with upcoming big/interesting/derby games I'll probably watch a lot of them.

Remember when the BBC did the Milan derby a couple of years ago? I know it was only because Beckham was playing in it but it would be great if they started doing stuff like that again.

MichaelC
November 24th, 2010, 9:18 AM
Who is showing Serie A these days? Most streams I see are in other languages.

Andy
November 24th, 2010, 9:20 AM
Suarez has been given a seven game domestic ban for having a cheeky chomp of a PSV player's chest.

Beefy
November 24th, 2010, 9:21 AM
Italy is on ESPN isn't it? With Holland and Germany.

JIJ
November 24th, 2010, 9:30 AM
Suarez has been given a seven game domestic ban for having a cheeky chomp of a PSV player's chest.

Oh yeah forgot to mention that.

The player he bit laughed it off, fair play.

MMH
November 24th, 2010, 9:31 AM
We can add internet links to it as well. I always think we have lacked something like that.

JIJ
November 24th, 2010, 9:33 AM
Way ahead of you pink. Just going through Bet365 now they've got shitloads.

Star fruit surf rider
November 24th, 2010, 9:34 AM
What a fantastic thread idea. Brilliant work JIJ.

JIJ
November 24th, 2010, 9:46 AM
No need to thank me. This is what I do.

Gary J
November 24th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Had another little idea, in that first post I might as well add an UPCOMING SCHEDULE thing whereby we can list what matches from around Europe are coming up on TV incase anyone wants to watch. What do ya think?

Fantastic idea :yes:

JIJ
November 24th, 2010, 10:21 AM
For that Bilbao/Osasuna game on Sunday, am I right in saying the first half is shown behind the red button? I'm sure that's what they normally do.

MMH
November 24th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Way ahead of you pink. Just going through Bet365 now they've got shitloads.

These betting type TV channels...tell me more.

Are they Sky Subscription ones or something? I havnt turned my TV on in months.

Speaking of foreign football on TV I am amazed that a channel hasnt tried to pick up Polish Estraklasa football. There are loads of Poles over here, it would come dirt cheap and would get decent viewership for a biffy station struggling for viewers.

JIJ
November 24th, 2010, 10:28 AM
You just have to have an account with them, Ladbrokes, Bet365, Betfair are the best I've found. Once you have an account there's tons of live sport on them. I barely scratched the surface there with Bet365. Good quality too.

That's a good shout about Polish football. Although from the Poles I've met they all seem more interested in the Premier League. Plus the Ekstraklasa is another low-scoring league so it may not pull in the viewers. Probably get a few good hooligan fights though, Wisla/Cracowia would be amazing.

Chris Scott
November 25th, 2010, 7:04 AM
I need to watch more Dutch and Turkish football, Ive watched the odd Dutch game on sky. The German league has a review every Monday on ESPN, not missed one yet. Some cracking games and goals in that league.

JIJ
November 25th, 2010, 2:32 PM
The bloke who narrates that Bundesliga review show has the strangest tone of voice ever for a football show

El Capitano Gatisto
November 25th, 2010, 3:36 PM
Does anyone know how Adem Ljajlic is getting on at Fiorentina? It was his move collapsing in particular that seemed to set off the whole anger against the Glazers again over the past year or so, just wondered if he has actually shown anything promising in Serie A. I only ever see the odd game in the pub on a Saturday evening, last one was Juve vs. AC Milan where Del Piero broke the club scoring record. Legend.

SheltonLondon
November 25th, 2010, 6:42 PM
We've just been linked with him over the last few days, no idea how he's been playing though!

Chris Scott
November 25th, 2010, 6:56 PM
The bloke who narrates that Bundesliga review show has the strangest tone of voice ever for a football show

I have not noticed, will have to next time.

JIJ
November 27th, 2010, 4:53 AM
Was watching the Serie A preview show and there was some ridiculously random music being played over the top of it. ESPN are mental

Simon
November 27th, 2010, 6:40 AM
Hey guys, if anyone wants to talk about El Clasico, there is this thread:

http://forums.rajah.com/showthread.php?p=6532668#post6532668

:D

Bad Collin
November 27th, 2010, 7:33 AM
So, Predictions for El Clasico....

I think Jose is too clever for Barca, Higuain and Ronaldo on the counter. 2-0 to Real.

Chris Scott
November 27th, 2010, 8:38 AM
Was watching the Serie A preview show and there was some ridiculously random music being played over the top of it. ESPN are mental

When's that on?

JIJ
November 28th, 2010, 4:50 AM
So, Predictions for El Clasico....

I think Jose is too clever for Barca, Higuain and Ronaldo on the counter. 2-0 to Real.

An underwhelming 0-0 draw. Jose won't want to lose more than he will want to win

JIJ
November 28th, 2010, 4:51 AM
When's that on?

Not sure to be honest I caught it randomly at work but i work nights so I doubt 4am is its regular timeslot

Grimario
November 30th, 2010, 6:32 PM
Hey JIJ, do a preview of the crapiness that is the A-League this weekend, please? :heart:

son_of_foley
December 1st, 2010, 5:01 AM
The Glens won their first silverware of the year beating Linfield last night. Matty burrows scored again.

The move to younger players like Burrows from the shit of Hamilton and Gillespie has been brilliant. Squad is reborn, it's a shame the winding up order will be coming soon

JIJ
December 1st, 2010, 5:57 AM
What's the big rivalry in NI sof?

Is it Linfield/Glentoran? One of them always gets on Sky Sports but I can't remember who.

JIJ
December 1st, 2010, 6:04 AM
Updating this weekend's live schedule. Only gonna put up the matches of note from now on I went a bit overboard last time, I doubt anyone logged into Bet365 to watch Gent/Genk :squint:

Simon
December 1st, 2010, 6:09 AM
Good game I thought, Genk thoroughly deserved their win.

JIJ
December 1st, 2010, 6:12 AM
I didn't watch it.

son_of_foley
December 1st, 2010, 6:18 AM
What's the big rivalry in NI sof?

Is it Linfield/Glentoran? One of them always gets on Sky Sports but I can't remember who.

Yeah it's the biggest in terms of stature. They are the two most succesful teams and are dubbed 'the big two'. Linfield are on sky sports a lot. The main issue at the minute is Linfield play in and own the national stadium and are therefore subsidised heavily by the Irish FA.

The derailing of the multi-purpose stadium for political reasons has lead to the IFA accpeting to pay for refurbishments to the stadium meaning that the gap between them and other clubs will continue to grow.

The Glens have basically cheated financially and not paid the taxman 250,000. It's embarassing. They signed Keith Gillespie last year with the rumour being they were paying him 1,000 a week and the sponsor another 1,000. He was unsurpisingly shite.

In terms of emerging sides Cliftonville and Crusaders have done very well recently. You might have heard about Liam Boyce? He got a move to Bremen from Cliftonville, they also got through a round in Europe which is an acheivement for that league.

If the Glens are in decline I would expect both of those two to push Linfield for the title. Crusaders play on a 3g pitch now, caused a bit of a storm.

They were involved in that match that bbc reported on with a stupid number of sending offs last year.

All in all the footballing standard is very poor. It's hard to watch and there can still be secterian undertones. Donegal Celtic and Linfield normally have a lot of policing and trouble at their games due to it.

There was quite an uproar last year when teams were asked to reapply for their place in the top division and donegal celtic in particular though they were being punished for being a nationalist supported side.

Football in the whole of Ireland is in a shoddy state financially. I reckon more people actually travel across the water each weekend for games than go locally

JIJ
December 1st, 2010, 6:21 AM
How are Institute doing?

Alf
December 3rd, 2010, 8:57 AM
Who was asking after Adem Ljajic?

Here is an interesting article about wingers who move central...

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/12/03/introducing-the-central-winger/#more-5265

Chris Scott
December 3rd, 2010, 5:00 PM
Lazio go 2-0 up against Inter, Rafa must be in trouble if they lose.

Chris Scott
December 3rd, 2010, 5:01 PM
Also what's up with italian footy and their half empty stadiums? None are ever full for any game.

Gary J
December 3rd, 2010, 5:03 PM
It's due to the violence at the games i think. More and more people are staying away as the atmosphere at the games isn't particularly the nicest.

Chris Scott
December 3rd, 2010, 5:09 PM
With every team?

Gary J
December 3rd, 2010, 5:18 PM
Not sure it's every team but i think there have been a fair few incidents with teams fans and it's not been the same teams stirring it up.

Gary J
December 3rd, 2010, 5:22 PM
I think the italian FA bought in ID cards as well which i think a lot fans protested about saying it would cause chaos and was against their right of freedom. Maybe a lot are staying away in protest.

Andy
December 4th, 2010, 1:09 PM
Anyone have any idea why the Spanish football isn't on Sky tonight?

I've not got anything to do tonight so I'm genuinely disappointed it's not on. Gonna have to study instead. :\

Chris Scott
December 4th, 2010, 1:32 PM
Get on xbox live instead and join the rajah league.

Andy
December 4th, 2010, 1:35 PM
Don't have the new FIFA yet mate. I've banned myself from getting it before I finish my dissertation. :(

Chris Scott
December 4th, 2010, 1:40 PM
You study on Saturday night then mate.

Keano's Magic Hat
December 4th, 2010, 1:45 PM
The new FIFA is shit Scott, you batter a team and then get hit by Messi/Ronaldo on the counter. Just isn't fun, IMO.

Andy
December 4th, 2010, 4:18 PM
Is this where we talk about Spanish football now?

Barca are seemingly back to their best after a shakey (by their standards) start to the season.

Alf
December 4th, 2010, 4:34 PM
Has the Barcelona game started yet?

This was posted on ftl

Barcelona went to airport.

Airport strike.

Rosell and Spanish Federation discuss postponing the game.

Postponed to tomorrow at 4.

Barcelona players go home and plan to travel at 4 this afternoon for tomorrow's game.

Osasuna don't agree to switch and get p*ssed off because they hadn't agreed switch in first place.

Game set for tonight but no time fixed.

Barcelona travel by train and bus to game.

Andy
December 4th, 2010, 4:36 PM
Yeah it kicked off just after 7.45, half time now.

That's obviously why Sky didn't have it scheduled but they've got it on the red button now anyway.

El Capitano Gatisto
December 4th, 2010, 6:27 PM
Barca won 3-0, two goals for Messi.

Andy
December 4th, 2010, 6:35 PM
And an assist for the other goal. He's just on another planet just now.

Real haven't looked great tonight, understandable given what happened last week. Looks like Ronaldo has got them out of jail again though.

Watched the Milan game earlier, it's amazing what an injection of youth and pace seems to have done to their team. I'm not sure how Boateng has done in general but he was very good tonight, with Ibra and Robinho causing all sorts of problems in front of him.

Alf
December 4th, 2010, 7:14 PM
It's mental how well he's doing at Milan when he was absolute shite for us.

Chris Scott
December 5th, 2010, 8:38 AM
The new FIFA is shit Scott, you batter a team and then get hit by Messi/Ronaldo on the counter. Just isn't fun, IMO.

I always play with lower teams, and if no one matches my team I don't play them.

Beefy
December 5th, 2010, 9:21 AM
Sounds like KMH isn't very good at it, tbh.

Keano's Magic Hat
December 5th, 2010, 9:39 AM
Beefy, why must you hurt me at every opportunity? :(

Let it be known, I am a sensational Fifa player. However, even a top player like myself cannot compete with the general shift in importance that has been placed on the side you select. Fifa has now reached the point where it's almost impossible to defend against a superior side. I don't care if it's more realistic, it just isn't as fun.

Here's a great example- I selected United and some twat selected Real Madrid

First Game: I lost 5-2. I had about 60% of the ball and more shots. He would dink a through ball over the top to Ronaldo and that was it for me. Bang goal. I'm a terrible loser, though, so we played again.

Second game: I lose 4-3 or something. He scored every chance, and this without even using the placed finish- Ronaldo is unstoppable.

I then requested we switch teams.

I then smashed him, scoring about 15 goals over three games and conceding none.

MMH
December 5th, 2010, 10:04 AM
You certainly deserve credit for sticking to your principles and choosing to play with that famous minnow club of Manchester United :yes:

MichaelC
December 5th, 2010, 10:22 AM
KMH shouldn't feel too bad.

I know a certain poster on here...who shall remain nameless....who lost 10-1 at FIFA not so long ago.

Incidentally, on topic, for those who care, Sturm Graz destroyed JIJ's favourite Austrian team LASK Linz 5-0 yesterday to move within a point of upstarts Reid at the top of the Austrian Bundesliga. Reid have a very tough game away to Rapid later today.

http://www.atdhe.net/ for live streams. Lille/Lorient, Leverkusen/Koln, Fiorentina/Cagliari, Nice/Marsielle, Villarreal/Sevilla, Catania/Juventus and St Etienne/Bordeaux are amongst the more interesting ties it claims it will show.

There's also a Polish league game for those interested in that above in the thread, and the aforementioned Rapid/Reid.

BBF
December 5th, 2010, 10:26 AM
I'll name him for you. It was Torn. Against me. In the Xbox League.

Keano's Magic Hat
December 5th, 2010, 10:40 AM
You certainly deserve credit for sticking to your principles and choosing to play with that famous minnow club of Manchester United :yes:

:mad::D

MichaelC
December 5th, 2010, 10:46 AM

I feel he is due a comeback here by mentioning some of your defeats now...:D

MichaelC
December 5th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Reid have a very tough game away to Rapid later today.

Rapid lead 2-0 so far.

http://www.atdhe.net/ for live streams. Lille/Lorient, Leverkusen/Koln, Fiorentina/Cagliari, Nice/Marsielle, Villarreal/Sevilla, Catania/Juventus and St Etienne/Bordeaux are amongst the more interesting ties it claims it will show.

Lille/Lorient just finished 6-3. Hindsight being 20/20 I missed it.

Dreyski
December 6th, 2010, 6:07 PM
How do you think Jol leaving Ajax will affect them this season? There can't be many Dutch ex-players ready and waiting to take over.
Frank De Boer maybe?

Torn
December 6th, 2010, 6:09 PM

I BEAT YOU 9-0 ONCE YOU COCK

MichaelC
December 6th, 2010, 6:11 PM
Torn, remember when you were 2-0 up against Zaragoza in FM?

Torn
December 6th, 2010, 6:12 PM
Die.

MichaelC
December 6th, 2010, 6:13 PM
ahahaahahah

I didn't even finish that story. No one will know what happened to you when you took on Zaragoza.

Gary J
December 6th, 2010, 7:02 PM
How do you think Jol leaving Ajax will affect them this season? There can't be many Dutch ex-players ready and waiting to take over.
Frank De Boer maybe?

Rijkaard ?

Alf
December 7th, 2010, 10:44 AM
!!!!!!!!!!! Lads

My 1995 Fiorentina shirt just arrived. Number 9 on the back... and the name of the great man himself, BATISTUTA on the back.

Love it.

Andy
December 7th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Got ESPN back this week and I've already watched the Bundesliga and Eredivisie reviews. Great stuff.

Chris Scott
December 7th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Bundesliga is great, Mondays just as I get in from work it starts. Some cracking goals and games every week.

How much is ESPN? Mine just comes out direct debit with my sky bill, so I'm probably getting ripped off and paying £20 for it.

Alf
December 7th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Lads, I think you need to be paying some big up respec to my new footy shirt.

son_of_foley
December 7th, 2010, 11:18 AM
No, like you it is gay. If it was a vintage Parma shirt with DINO BAGGIO or TINO ASPRILLA then maybe but that? NONCE OFF.

Alf
December 7th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Fuck you. I will wear it and gun you down with a pretend machine gun after scoring an immense goal.

son_of_foley
December 7th, 2010, 11:19 AM
I loved Parma between like 92 and 98

son_of_foley
December 7th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Fuck you. I will wear it and gun you down with a pretend machine gun after scoring an immense goal.

Sure you will mate. If I was there in a DINO BAGGIO top I would murder you with your own face. That or FERNANDO COUTO

Andy
December 7th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Not sure now much it is these days, I only got it cos they phoned me and offered it for 12 quid for three months.

Gary J
December 7th, 2010, 11:30 AM

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/430/batistutafiorentina.jpg

SOF doesn't stand a chance.

Chris Scott
December 7th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Lads, I think you need to be paying some big up respec to my new footy shirt.

Show us a pic then.

son_of_foley
December 7th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Parma at that time was one of the things that really got me properly into football. That and RTE showed Premiership games on a 30 minute delay

son_of_foley
December 7th, 2010, 11:35 AM
ET TOU GARY J? :(

ENRICO CHIESA, THURMAN, CANNOVARO, BUFFON, BAGGIO, TINO, ZOLA OOOFFF what an era

Chris Scott
December 7th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Not sure now much it is these days, I only got it cos they phoned me and offered it for 12 quid for three months.

Yeah when ESPN I got mine for £9.99 not sure if it goes up after a while.

Gary J
December 7th, 2010, 11:54 AM
ET TOU GARY J? :(

ENRICO CHIESA, THURMAN, CANNOVARO, BUFFON, BAGGIO, TINO, ZOLA OOOFFF what an era

Sorry SOF but i always had a soft spot for Fiorentina due to champ manager italia i'd start off with Fiorentina as they were in Serie B at the start of the game and Batistuta and Daniele Beltrami would lead me to glory.

You are right though that was one hell of a team i used to love watching Serie A on Channel 4 with my sunday dinner. Nearly all the top sides at that time had at least 2-3 players i enjoyed watching.

Alf
December 7th, 2010, 12:02 PM

Show us a pic then.

That is it right there. That's not me though. That's my fucking HERO.

Parma at that time was one of the things that really got me properly into football. That and RTE showed Premiership games on a 30 minute delay

Didn't that Argentine striker who went on to play for Chelsea play for Parma during that era?

It's on the tip of my tongue....

Alf
December 7th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Crespo.

Simon
December 7th, 2010, 12:09 PM
I was all about Signori when I was a kid.

Andy
December 7th, 2010, 5:16 PM
How generous are Inter with their managers usually?

Benitez has to be on the edge now.

Chris Scott
December 7th, 2010, 7:09 PM
Definitely Andy.

Second City Saint
December 7th, 2010, 9:19 PM
Interesting argument for the current Barca squad being the best ever (club or country)

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/5894424/why-barca-best-all-time

MichaelC
December 8th, 2010, 11:26 AM
I know a certain poster on here...who shall remain nameless....who lost 10-1 at FIFA not so long ago.

I have just found out that the 10-1 scoreline is inaccurate.

BBF actually beat Torn 14-2 at the game.

We apologise for the inaccuracy in making Torn appear better at the game than he was.

JIJ
December 12th, 2010, 7:06 AM
Rijkaard ?

Great shout. That wouldn't surprise me at all.

Keano's Magic Hat
December 14th, 2010, 3:29 PM
BARCELONA (AP) Doping doctor Eufemiano Fuentes should fit in with the info that can deprive Spain both World Cup and European Championship gold in football.
"If I speak, we will no longer be the world and European champions in football."

This quote is from the doctor Eufemiano Fuentes, rendered in the major Spanish newspaper El Mundo today, suggests that Spanish football has adopted illegal means on the road to the European Championship gold in 2008 and World Cup gold in 2010.

Fuentes is known as one of the perpetrators in the Operación Puerto case in 2006, where top riders Jan Ullrich, Ivan Basso and Alejandro Valverde was among those who were caught blood doping, after it was found large amounts of blood bags and other evidence of Fuentes in Madrid.

Thursday Fuentes was arrested in the take-up of a new doping case in Spain: Operación Galgos.

Coming from fellow prisoner

The quote in El Mundo does not come directly from Fuentes, but through a person he was imprisoned by the weekend. Despite this, the case turned up in many large Spanish media sources.

As a result, coach Vicente Del Bosque gone out and said that he did not know about doping in Spanish football.

- In my 43 years in football I have not known or seen anything suspicious, "said Del Bosque .

Barcelona star Xavi, who helped to win both European and World Championships, says the same thing.

- Currently, no one found guilty, but it's a shame with this case. We in the football are confident that we won the World Cup without doping. We relate to this quiet, there's no problem for us, "said Xavi .
Fuentes has said that he has also worked with the football teams in the top two levels in Spain.

Keano's Magic Hat
December 14th, 2010, 3:29 PM
Fuentes was Barca's doctor when they beat United in the Champions League final. Cheats.

Just give United the trophy.

MichaelC
December 14th, 2010, 3:52 PM
Yeah, that's not going to happen.

Gary J
December 14th, 2010, 3:56 PM
It will just get swept away like when Zedenek Zeman accused Juventus of using these methods.

Bennedy
December 14th, 2010, 4:34 PM
Fuentes was Barca's doctor when they beat United in the Champions League final. Cheats.

Just give United the trophy.

He was the doctor when they beat us in the Semi final.

Chelsea vs United this Sunday, winner takes the Champions League title.

JIJ
December 14th, 2010, 4:34 PM
Wouldn't surprise me. Messi has been using growth hormones for years. If it wasn't for drugs he'd be crap.

turdpower
December 16th, 2010, 8:26 PM
http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/86/italy/2010/12/16/2264737/report-sampdoria-star-antonio-cassano-agrees-to-sensational

Amazing.

Alf
December 17th, 2010, 7:27 AM

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs591.ash2/154318_10150355200180381_882465380_16206473_336818 9_n.jpg

Spot the difference lads...

JIJ
December 17th, 2010, 7:46 AM
Hahaha :yes:

Andy
December 19th, 2010, 1:59 PM
Anyone watching Stuttgart vs Bayern? Absolutely mental game.

JIJ
December 19th, 2010, 2:04 PM
Ahaha bloody hell it was 0-2 last I checked

Simon
December 19th, 2010, 2:42 PM
German football seems to be a bit mad nowadays.

MichaelC
December 19th, 2010, 3:01 PM
I always miss the high scorers. Sounds like a good game, surprising too as one of Bayerns problems this season has been scoring!

JIJ
December 19th, 2010, 3:03 PM
Is Robben back yet?

MichaelC
December 19th, 2010, 3:08 PM
Robben has resumed full training but didn't play today.

Andy
December 19th, 2010, 6:39 PM
Gomez is looking more and more like the player Bayern spent all that money on. Ribery was class too. Massively enjoyable game.

Dreyski
December 19th, 2010, 9:27 PM
Funny scenes from the Belgian Jupiler league:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/dec/19/snowballs-anderlecht-club-brugge

Makes a change from coins :D

Andy
December 19th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Haha, great stuff.

YouTube - Football player dodges snowballs from opposing fans

JIJ
December 20th, 2010, 8:51 AM
ahaha fucking hell.

Sorry for the lack of updates on the main page. Will try and get it sorted for next week.

Chris Scott
December 20th, 2010, 8:54 AM
Slacking JIJ.

Andy
December 20th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Having had ESPN back for a few weeks, I have to say I am absolutely loving the Bundesliga. Fantastic stuff every week. The Eredivisie is pretty good too.

Serie A is almost always dull though, really disappointing. Having said that, Lazio vs Udinese was a good game yesterday. Hernanes for Lazio looks a very exciting player.

Shame they don't show any French or Russian games, I'm sure they used to.

son_of_foley
December 20th, 2010, 10:47 AM
whingebag i posted in your support forum thread go try it out

Chris Scott
December 20th, 2010, 7:24 PM
Yeah Andy, I have like had ESPN for yonks catch up mate.

Andy
December 21st, 2010, 12:16 AM
Here's a lovely conspiray theory for you.

Italy Serie B
Albinoleffe v Piacenza
Home Win - 3.80
Draw - 1.40
Away Win - 8.00

Also there's been almost £2mil matched, which seems an awful lot for a Serie B game which doesn't kick off for another 4 hours

the biggest bookmaker in Italy has stopped taking bets

Home team have won last 4 of 5 in the league. Those odds are insane there's definitely something very dodgy about this. It's going to reach £3m on Betfair for a Serie B game.

edit... it's just gone over £3m and still 15 minutes left.

Odds at k/o Albinoleffe 4.3, draw 1.43, Piaczenza 12.5.

The game finished 3-3.

JIJ
December 21st, 2010, 6:52 AM
Ahaha fuck sake there will almost definitely be an investigation into that. Odds-on draws are always suspicious, but lower than 1/2?? I've never seen that before, what did the bookies have the draw as?

Oh and Andy, ESPN do have the Russian PL but there season has finished now :yes:

JIJ
December 21st, 2010, 9:02 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/timvickery/2010/12/just_as_a_flower_can.html

Nice little story from Peru :yes:

Simon
December 21st, 2010, 9:06 AM
All well and good until one of his team's mad fans puts a bullet through him.

JIJ
December 21st, 2010, 9:47 AM
Yes but he'll have the last laugh when Tim Vickery writes him a positive obituary

Andy
December 22nd, 2010, 4:19 PM
Anyone watching the Atletico game? De Gea really is a world class goalkeeper already. Stunning save there.

Simon
December 22nd, 2010, 6:41 PM
Just the seven for Madrid tonight. Mad.

JIJ
December 22nd, 2010, 6:56 PM
Eight in the end.

Spain has become a right joke. I really don't find the league that interesting anymore (outside of El Clasico).

Andy
January 2nd, 2011, 1:00 PM
Xavi tonight becomes Barcelona's all-time appearance record holder.

BBF
January 2nd, 2011, 1:01 PM
Only 30 too. With his vision and passing he could have another 5/6 years at Barce too.

JIJ
January 2nd, 2011, 1:53 PM
Was he always this good? He seemed to explode out of nowhere around the time Ronaldinho started his decline.

Andy
January 2nd, 2011, 1:57 PM
I can only say I've been watching Barca religiously for the past five years or so and he's certainly always been amazing since then. Iniesta only emerged relatively recently though.

Bennedy
January 2nd, 2011, 2:00 PM
I think he was a bit like Claude Makelele. Never got the credit he deserves until later on in his career.

Simon
January 2nd, 2011, 2:04 PM
"The best five players in the world (and Xavi)"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1113507/The-best-players-world-Xavi--Ronaldo-crowned-king-football.html

That was as recent as January 2009, and while a lot of people who knew what they were talking about derided it as an idiotic thing to say, he was still something of an unsung hero in the media even then.

It's understandable that he was somewhat ignored outside of Barca during the eras of Ronaldinho, Eto'o, Rivaldo etc as he wasn't as high profile or exciting, plus don't forget he replaced a genuine legend in Guardiola, so maybe it took a while for people to fully realise or accept just how good he was. Iniesta was the same for a long time, he came through pretty late (as Pedro has done more recently) and it took a while for people to believe that he was genuinely world class rather than enjoying a purple patch.

Star fruit surf rider
January 2nd, 2011, 2:19 PM
Xavi is obviously the best in the world in his position but I would argue that it is more difficult to be a player in a position like Torres, Kaka, Messi, Ronaldo etc. Therefore they are on a slightly higher level (when on top form).

JIJ
January 2nd, 2011, 2:21 PM
I think Iniesta is overrated actually. I'd love to see him in a different team and test my theory.

Glen
January 3rd, 2011, 6:34 PM
http://www.adifferentleague.co.uk/p6_1_5644_club-focus-real-madrid-%E2%80%93-kaka-return-imminent-in-clash-with-neighbours.html

Kaka's coming back, in like, literally minutes. Which is lucky considering Higuain is absolutely fucked again.

Watching Real is like watching porn at the moment. I would literally bum Sergio Ramos. Best right back of, possibly, all time.

Simon
January 3rd, 2011, 6:39 PM
He's not even the best right back in La Liga. Cafu would kick you up the arse for saying that, or more likely just keep you in his pocket so no one knows you're even here while also wreaking havoc down the forum's right flank.

Andy
January 3rd, 2011, 6:40 PM
46 in 46 La Liga games for Ronaldo now.

Good to see Villarreal doing so well again this year.

Glen
January 3rd, 2011, 8:35 PM
He's not even the best right back in La Liga. Cafu would kick you up the arse for saying that, or more likely just keep you in his pocket so no one knows you're even here while also wreaking havoc down the forum's right flank.

You are literally more wrong than anyone has ever been about a footballer in the history of football ever.

JIJ
January 3rd, 2011, 9:49 PM
Lilian Thuram is up there.

So is David Bardsley.

Second City Saint
January 3rd, 2011, 11:21 PM
I missed a lot of Cafu's career but from what I've read he seems the consensus pick for best all-time RB. Thuram's a great shout as well but I'd like to throw in Zambrotta and Lahm as two of the best RBs I've seen in Europe. If we're adding Englishmen then add Neville.

Simon, I'm very biased against Madrid and still I can't think of a better RB in La Liga than Ramos. Who's above him in your eyes?

Andy
January 3rd, 2011, 11:30 PM
Dani Alves.

Second City Saint
January 3rd, 2011, 11:35 PM
I thought that might be his selection but his defending abilities aren't at Ramos' level. Alves offers more going forward and maybe is a superior a two-way player but Ramos is the better RB.

Star fruit surf rider
January 6th, 2011, 6:10 AM
Carlos Alberto.

Beefy
January 6th, 2011, 7:11 AM
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12875_6637769,00.html

I doubt this will make him too popular with the Fenerbahce fans.

Chris Scott
January 6th, 2011, 8:37 AM
Bloody hell huge move for him.

Andy
January 6th, 2011, 4:10 PM
Motta just finished off a beautiful team goal for Inter.

Andy
January 9th, 2011, 2:23 PM
Fantastic game between Real and Villarreal so far. 1-2 after 15 minutes.

Andy
January 9th, 2011, 3:42 PM
Ronaldo is ridiculous. Hat trick and an assist.

Mourinho just celebrated five yards away from the Villarreal bench too.

Bennedy
January 9th, 2011, 3:53 PM
Ronaldo and Messi are in a different league when it comes to scoring goals.

Andy
January 9th, 2011, 3:56 PM
That was a fantastic game, probably my favourite of the season so far.

Bennedy
January 9th, 2011, 3:58 PM
Totally forgot to record it. I knew it would be special.

The Barca game last night was good. Messi's free kick was different class.

1_Pablo_Angel
January 9th, 2011, 4:01 PM
He wasn't 5 yards away, he was standing right in front of it waving his fist at the fans behind it :lol:

I love him but if he ever pulled any of that shit against the Villa I'd probably wish death on his children. Luckily for them he never has despite our decent record against Chelsea when he was there.

Bennedy
January 9th, 2011, 4:26 PM
Leave Jose alone, he is just a bit of a mental case.

JIJ
January 12th, 2011, 10:31 AM
I've just had a bet on the Uzbekistan/Kuwait match and I'm watching it on Betfair but I don't know who is who and commentator hasn't given any clues in the 10 mins I've been watching.

Fuck sake.

JIJ
January 12th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Ah OK Uzbekistan just scored.

Simon
January 12th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Uzbekistan will probably have a decent side in a few years when all their shipped-in Brazilians get citizenship.

JIJ
January 12th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Anyone been following the Asian Cup by the way?

India did well to hold Oz to 4 the other day. Cahill got 2 and Harry Cool smashed in one.

Simon
January 12th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Literally could not give less of a shit.

JIJ
January 12th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Ahaha the Asian colour commentator for this match is brilliant.

Main commentator, standard rhetorical question after Kuwait go 2-1 down: "Can Kuwait dig deep here and stay in this tournament?"

Colour commentator: "No. They cannot. They are not capable."

Brilliant accent too.

Simon
January 12th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Surely they are both colour commentators.

JIJ
January 12th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Casual racism.

Simon
January 12th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Jimmy Saville making fun of a black man.

MichaelC
January 12th, 2011, 11:16 AM
I didn't even know the Asian Cup was on.

Saw a lot of it in 2003(ish) due to Eurosport, when Uzbekistan I think it was went out due to one of the worst missed penalties of all time. The player tried to chip the ball, and did it so well it casually landed in the keepers hand without the keeper moving!

Complete misread JIJ's post above and thought India had got a draw against Australia! Ahem...

MichaelC
January 12th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Damn, missed Iraq/Iran yesterday. That should have been a fiery one.

I'll try and catch Qatar/China later, unless I bloody well forget again.

Andy
January 15th, 2011, 5:24 PM
http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/golazo-cani-osasuna-8182710/

Not bad. Villarreal have been one of my favourite teams to watch this season.

Andy
January 16th, 2011, 3:54 PM
Real just dropped points at bottom-of-the-league Almeria. Could cost them the league.

Bennedy
January 16th, 2011, 3:56 PM
I was just about to post the exact same thing.

They have to pray Barca lose points against Mallorca.

Andy
January 16th, 2011, 4:03 PM
Malaga are 25/1. Draw 12/1.

Andy
January 16th, 2011, 4:10 PM
Beautiful goal from Iniesta after 8 minutes.

Bennedy
January 16th, 2011, 4:12 PM
Why did I think they were facing Mallorca?

Barca should really win this then.

Andy
January 16th, 2011, 5:45 PM
YouTube - Lecce vs AC Milan 0-1 Ibrahimovic AMAZING Goal 16-01-2011

Bennedy
January 16th, 2011, 5:56 PM
Class goal.

JIJ
January 18th, 2011, 3:46 PM
Off to Seville tomorrow night, staying till Sunday. Hopefully gonna get to the Ramon Sanchez Pijuan Saturday evening to watch the Sevilla/Levante game :yes:

Andy
January 18th, 2011, 5:07 PM
Get some pics. :yes:

JIJ
January 18th, 2011, 5:17 PM
Pics are for women I take pictures in my mind

BBF
January 18th, 2011, 5:20 PM
Sounds like Autism, mate.

JIJ
January 18th, 2011, 5:22 PM
I'm definitely a bit OCD.

So are you though judging by the number of times you use the word mate these days so don't throw stones.

Andy
January 18th, 2011, 5:23 PM
People who live in glass houses have to open the door.

BBF
January 18th, 2011, 5:24 PM
I'm definitely a bit OCD.

So are you though judging by the number of times you use the word mate these days so don't throw stones.

Nah not OCD. Just a bit of a cunt, mate.

Andy
January 19th, 2011, 2:27 PM
Just watching Alexis Sanchez for the first time (other than the World Cup) on ESPN. He's a petulant little fucker but very exciting. Just created the equaliser with a lovely bit of skill.

JIJ
February 1st, 2011, 8:45 AM
Instead of trying to update the live football schedule every week (which obviously I wasn't bothering doing anyway) I've just whacked a link in which shows the live schedule on UKTV :yes:

Andy
February 2nd, 2011, 7:10 PM
I know I shouldn't but I love Adebayor, he's a great character.

I really wouldn't be surprised if Real signed him permanently and shipped Benzema out at the end of the season. He came on for Benzema and did more in 10 minutes than Benzema had done all night, including scoring and drawing a sending off. He'll get so much service over in the top and from crosses in this team, I can easily see him scoring 10 goals before the end of the season. Assuming he can avoid fighting with anyone for a few months.

El Capitano Gatisto
February 2nd, 2011, 7:33 PM
He's not really there to score goals. Higuain and Benzema have both struggled to score goals this season, the aim is to make sure Ronaldo gets chances. Everything goes through him which is why Real Madrid are pretty fucked when he's not up for it.

Andy
February 2nd, 2011, 7:41 PM
Higuain was averaging 1 in 2 wasn't he? It can't be healthy for a club like Real Madrid to rely on one player for all their goals, surely Adebayor's mission is to help him out. :dunno:

Also they were after Ruud van Nistelrooy so they obviously wanted someone to score a few between now and the end of the season.

El Capitano Gatisto
February 2nd, 2011, 7:46 PM
They wanted an old-fashioned target man to lead the line and hold the ball up. Benzema isn't that sort of player, he wants to roam about and play a bit, get it deep and run and link the play up. Higuain is a genuine target man, so is Adebayor. It's not so much that they rely on Ronaldo for all their goals but everything is set up to get the best out of him and to create chances for him.

Higuain scores goals when he plays, he's brilliant. 1 in 2 is actually less than usual for him, he's previously averaged nearly a goal a game or just under it.

Andy
February 2nd, 2011, 7:51 PM
Yeah but I think that's because as you say, the whole side has been built around Ronaldo this season, not with Higuain as he focal point. He's still class.

I reckon Adebayor is expected to score some goals and I think he will. He'll get so much service, Ronaldo alone created at least three chances for him when he came on.

JIJ
February 3rd, 2011, 6:05 AM
I didn't bother going to the Sevilla-Levante game in the end, instead opting to go to a private Flamenco show which made me feel like I was on coach trip.

Went and took a look at the ground on the Sunday though, looked OK it's right next to a shopping mall so there's no real build up to it it's just kind of hidden there.

Second City Saint
February 9th, 2011, 4:42 PM
Is this where we talk about international friendlies?

Anyway, Benzema just got destroyed. I know most of you are watching England but France/Brazil is the only match on TV here and it's been an entertaining first half.

JIJ
February 9th, 2011, 4:45 PM
Has he been injured?

Second City Saint
February 9th, 2011, 4:55 PM
I think he's alright, he didn't come off but he might get subbed out at the beginning of the second half.

EDIT: he's stayed on and just scored in fact

Second City Saint
February 9th, 2011, 4:57 PM
I forgot ESPN streams other internationals so I've got Spain/Colombia on now. Germany/Italy is also available, anyone watching that?

Andy
February 9th, 2011, 6:14 PM
YouTube - Amazing Goal Wesley Sneijder 1-0 Netherlands - Austria (Nederland - Oostenrijk) Friendly Match

Wowzers.

Red Dog
February 10th, 2011, 9:47 AM
This may have already been posted.....

But the baby that Bebeto and Romario did that little cradle celebration for in the 94 WC has just made his debut.

Which makes me feel a bit old.

Simon
February 10th, 2011, 9:48 AM
:eek: Fucking hell.

JIJ
February 10th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Ahaha fantastic bit of news.

MichaelC
February 17th, 2011, 2:37 PM
The other night someone mentioned how they were surprised Seedorf was still playing.

Well, Shevchenko has just produced an assist for Kiev to take the lead in Turkey - I keep assuming he'd retired ages ago despite the fact I've seen him score for Kiev. Ahem.

BATE were doing well, then the stream got taken down for copyright and PSG scored. Bloody copyright.

MichaelC
February 17th, 2011, 2:39 PM
And now Quaresma has just scored for Besiktas. You never know where people are going to show up these days. Love it.

StevieV
February 17th, 2011, 3:02 PM
This may have already been posted.....

But the baby that Bebeto and Romario did that little cradle celebration for in the 94 WC has just made his debut.

Which makes me feel a bit old.

Did anyone have a source for this?

MichaelC
February 17th, 2011, 3:28 PM
Here, Stevie (http://www.thenational.ae/sport/football/football-celebrations-are-a-thing-of-the-past)

The pitch is white in Poland. And Cardozo just equalised for Benfica. Torn can stop flouncing.

RuneEdge
February 18th, 2011, 2:23 AM
YouTube - valdes explain to Afellay what to do

Red Dog
February 27th, 2011, 8:35 AM
YouTube - GOLZAP - Autoagresión

:lol:

JIJ
February 27th, 2011, 8:41 AM
He should be banned for that

Bennedy
February 27th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Palermo got beat 7-0 at home to Udinese. Sanchez got 4 of them. Not a bad player him.

Beefy
March 2nd, 2011, 8:48 AM
Panamanian player discovers that kicking an owl is no hoot

A Panamanian player, Luís Moreno, has caused an uproar and faces severe punishment after kicking an owl which was lying on the pitch during a Colombian championship match at the weekend. Video footage showed that the bird was first struck by the ball near the Pereira penalty area during the match at Atlético Junior, prompting the referee to stop play.

As the referee and players discussed what to do, the Pereira defender Moreno – apparently impatient over the delay, as his team were losing 2-1 – was seen to kick the bird towards the touchline with his left foot.

"The player should be severely punished for this painful, horrible act of intolerance," Ramón Jesurum, the president of the Colombian league, said in a radio interview. He added that the case would go before the league's disciplinary committee.

Atlético Junior fans chanted "murderer" at the Panamanian player, according to Colombian media. Moreno was also reprimanded by opponents and he apologised after the game.

"I apologise to the fans, it wasn't my intention," he said, as he left the field escorted by radio reporters and police.

Colombian media said the owl had been rescued by ground staff and taken to a vet. Its condition was reported to be serious.

Colombian owl kicked by Panamanian defender Luis Moreno dies of shock

An injured owl that was kicked off the field by a player during a match between Colombian football clubs has died. A veterinarian, Camilo Tapia, said the owl went into shock on Tuesday, after having been taken in for treatment two days earlier.

On Sunday, the owl landed, injured, near the corner of the pitch during a match in Barranquilla between Atlético Junior and Deportivo Pereira. The Panamanian defender Luis Moreno, who plays for Pereira, walked over and kicked the owl about three metres, to get it off the field.

The owl was the Atlético Junior mascot and Moreno later apologised to home fans. Humberto Mendoza, the director of the agency that oversees environmental issues in Barranquilla, said he was investigating possible sanctions against Moreno.

Meanwhile, Moreno says he had been threatened since the incident. "There have been all kinds of things ... on the telephone, everything," he declared in a television interview. "It wasn't my intention to hurt the animal. It's very difficult for me and my family who are in Panama and are afraid about all this."

The player's tearful mother said in an interview in Panama: "I'm very worried, his intention was not to kill the animal."

These crazy South Americans.

MichaelC
March 2nd, 2011, 8:52 AM
Someone should kick him.

Andy
March 3rd, 2011, 6:36 PM
Real Madrid are currently smashing Malaga 7-0. Ronaldo scores a hat trick then subbed himself even though Real had used all three subs. No sign of an injury though. :lol:

turdpower
March 3rd, 2011, 6:46 PM
That is amazing.

wardy
March 3rd, 2011, 8:30 PM
I saw it up to 3-0 and Malaga were genuine poop. Harald Brattbakk would've scored 5 against them.

Second City Saint
March 4th, 2011, 12:57 AM
Real Madrid are currently smashing Malaga 7-0. Ronaldo scores a hat trick then subbed himself even though Real had used all three subs. No sign of an injury though. :lol:http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/6179372/cristiano-ronaldo-foot-injury-serious

"I don't know. It seems like a serious injury. That's the negative note from the game," Mourinho said. "Especially as Ronaldo doesn't just do small things."
Mourinho soon followed up his initial words with more encouraging ones over his star player's health.
"If Cristiano has something it's something minor, it's no drama," Mourinho added.
Ronaldo said he didn't think he will play Sunday against Racing Santander.
So basically nothing.

turdpower
March 4th, 2011, 2:43 AM
Yeah, cheers for fucking that up Andy.

Andy
March 4th, 2011, 5:40 AM
There wasn't any sign of an injury. :dunno:

Red Dog
March 4th, 2011, 5:49 AM
What do you mean "subbed himself".

Do you think he overrules mourinho?!

"By the way boss, I've scored a hattrick so I'm coming off now even though you have no subs left"

"Yeah ok no problem, do what you like mate"

Andy
March 4th, 2011, 5:54 AM
Watch it. He scored then did the sub hand gesture and ran off the pitch. Apparently he was injured and I'm sure he would've stayed on if Mourinho told him to. I thought it was mildly amusing, fucking hell lads.

Red Dog
March 4th, 2011, 6:02 AM
Why the fuck would he come off and leave them with 10 men if he wasnt injured?

Andy sort yourself out.

El Capitano Gatisto
March 4th, 2011, 8:40 AM
He's out for 2 weeks with a hamstring strain. Good work Andy.

Andy
March 4th, 2011, 9:35 AM
This hasn't gone well for me.

son_of_foley
March 4th, 2011, 9:37 AM
Did he even score a hat-trick?

Andy
March 4th, 2011, 9:40 AM
I'm starting to doubt it.

Second City Saint
March 5th, 2011, 4:24 AM
Last Tuesday a crazy match was witnessed in the Argentinean fifth tier as referee Damien Rubino flashed a ridiculous 36 red cards during the clash between Claypole and Victoriano Arenas.

YouTube - Claypole 2 Victoriano Arenas 0 Primera D 2010-11 Los goles y la pelea

http://www.101greatgoals.com/record-breaking-argi-ref-flashes-36-red-cards-in-a-fifth-division-match/85922/

MichaelC
March 5th, 2011, 8:45 AM
I'm surprised Andy didn't bring that one up....

Ringo
March 5th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Former Liverpool Academy player Miki Roque has been diagnosed with cancer and forced to retire from football. Not sure how familiar with him the Liverpool fans here were with him, but that's sad news.

Red Dog
March 7th, 2011, 9:01 AM
Just to confirm Cristiano Ronaldo did not play last night.

I can't think why though..

MichaelC
March 8th, 2011, 5:30 PM
He subbed himself before hand.

Dreyski
April 2nd, 2011, 1:03 PM
This is a couple of days old, but the entire board of directors at Ajax have quit after a disagreement with Johan Cruyff over how the club should be run...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/12917941.stm

Has this ever happened with another club?

Andy
April 2nd, 2011, 1:39 PM
Mourinho could be about to lose his nine year old unbeaten home record! 1-0 down to Sporting with 10 minutes left. Real have won every home game this season so far...

Andy
April 2nd, 2011, 2:00 PM
And it's gone. I wonder if Mourinho ultimately would've preferred that than losing it to Barca.

Second City Saint
April 2nd, 2011, 4:06 PM
This Milan derby's been excellent.

Second City Saint
April 2nd, 2011, 4:36 PM
AHAHAAHAA Cassano was just sent off for two of the most ridiculous yellow cards ever. What a goofball.

Second City Saint
April 7th, 2011, 11:26 PM
I caught the highlights yesterday and figured I'd pass this along. This is a CONCACAF U20 match between Mexico & Canada. The first two Mexico goals are excellent and well worth a watch.

YouTube - 4.5.11 U-20 Highlights - Mexico v Canada

Simon
April 8th, 2011, 4:15 AM
The first one's a cross, surely? Second one is a great hit though.

son_of_foley
April 8th, 2011, 4:55 AM
You watching the tournament SCS? How is Conor Doyle looking?

son_of_foley
April 13th, 2011, 9:58 AM
What a fucking brilliant story.

Get this in you

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-13048726

Simon
April 13th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Wow that is a fantastic story. Love the bit at the end about him ringing up to see if he could come back to Glentoran on loan.

Second City Saint
April 30th, 2011, 7:02 PM
Granted there are some quality names in the sport, but NACHO might be my favorite. Simple yet hilarious.

Grimario
May 5th, 2011, 1:26 AM
This thread needs more love.

How about some footage from Kazakhstan?

YouTube - Shocking assault! Armand Masimzhanov (FC Kairat) Almaty *(banned for life)

Second City Saint
May 11th, 2011, 5:18 PM
After yesterday's hattrick, Ronaldo's up to 36 league goals in 32 games. Scoring at will.