PDA

View Full Version : Challenge

Pages : [1] 2 3

Mik
October 26th, 2010, 6:20 PM
I figure that this could be a good idea. If you want to take part in a challenge to broaden your horizons, post your name here. You will then be randomly paired with someone who will set you a challenge and who you can set a challenge back to in return. You will then move onto your next challenge.

The idea is to get someone reading books, watching TV programmes or films, listening to music etc that they wouldnt normally. The person that completes the challenge could then start a thread or make a few posts on their experience of watching/reading/listening, will hopefully appreciate the experience and discussion will flow from there.

Obviously the time limits imposed on things will vary depending on what they are. If it is 'Listen to a song....' then it should only take a couple of days. 'Listen to an album' or 'watch a film' perhaps a week. 'Read a book' a month perhaps. 'Read a series of books' or 'watch a season of a television programme' perhaps longer. But all that can be sorted out later.

Post here if you're interested in broadening your horizons and are open to trying something new and I'll be in touch.

Round 1 -

Alf - 5 vs The Mike - 14

Alex - 18 vs Cewsh - 22

SoF - 3 vs Mary - 9

This is the list as it is at the moment, as updated in the front page:

Alf has to listen to the album Room Noises by Eisley (http://forums.rajah.com/showpost.php?p=6510449&postcount=98) (Completed) vs The Mike has to listen to Grace by Jeff Buckley (http://forums.rajah.com/showpost.php?p=6510064&postcount=93) (Completed)

Alex has to Ladyhawke vs Cewsh has to watch Mary and Max.

SoF - 3 vs Mary has to watch 'Batteries Not Included'

terencestamp7 has to watch Better Luck Tomorrow vs Deewun has to listen to Spacehog - "The Hogyssey" (http://forums.rajah.com/showpost.php?p=6510580&postcount=102) (Completed)

Beefy has to watch the tv miniseries Buried vs Simon has to watch the first 6 episodes of Battlestar Galactica

Murphy has to watch 500 Days of Summer vs BBF has to watch Miss Potter.

Pete Cash has to watch Season 1 of The West Wing vs Miotch has to watch Chopper.

Grim has to listen to Ash Grunwald - I Don't Believe vs Simmo has to listen to Matthew Good Band - Last of the Ghetto Astronauts.

Mik has to listen to The Fire In Our Throats Will Beckon The Thaw, by Pelican vs Second City Saint has to watch The Machinist.

Pablo Diablo has to listen to Miles Benjamin Anthony Robinson's self-titled album (http://forums.rajah.com/showpost.php?p=6507214&postcount=44) (Completed) vs Hurley has to watch Oldboy (http://forums.rajah.com/showpost.php?p=6511337&postcount=112) (Completed)

RoB has to watch Nathan Barley vs SheltonLondon has to watch the first season of 'Brotherhood'.GBF has to listen to Gang Gang Dance - Saint Dymphna vs Mike Hunt has to listen to Camp Lo - Uptown Saturday Night.

Badger had to listen to Ben Folds Five's debut album of the same name (http://forums.rajah.com/showpost.php?p=6510575&postcount=101)"Ziltoid the Omniscient" (http://forums.rajah.com/showpost.php?p=6511487&postcount=113) by The Devin Townsend Project. (Completed) (Completed) vs Virmicious has to listen to

Still waiting for those in bold to get back to me with specifics of their challenge at the moment.

Pablo Diablo
October 26th, 2010, 6:21 PM
Broaden my horizons. I'm always up for that.

Mik
October 26th, 2010, 6:23 PM
I hope that you realise here that 'your horizons' isnt some kind of street slang for 'your arsehole'.

Cewsh
October 26th, 2010, 6:27 PM
This could be a great deal of fun. I have trouble getting out of my set genres of things sometimes, so this could totally open up some new stuff to enjoy.

Deewun
October 26th, 2010, 6:27 PM
This sounds interesting. I'm willing to see what the next step is, at least.

Miotch
October 26th, 2010, 6:28 PM
This is a good idea. I'm in.

Mik
October 26th, 2010, 6:31 PM
I reiterate that I hope you realise here that 'your horizons' isnt some kind of street slang for 'your arsehole'.

Ah just kidding.

The 'next step' is pretty much outlined there in reality. I take the names of all of the people who have expressed an interest. Randomise the pairings and say for example Pablo Diablo challenges me to read a book that I've never read before and I challenge him to watch a film that he's never watched before. He completes the challenge, perhaps posts about it here, perhaps in a relevant thread, perhaps he starts a new thread to discuss it and I do the same. Then we each move on to a new pairing and new challenges. Hopefully by reading the book he has suggested to me it opens up my arsehole to a whole new world of possibilities and I find a new author that I love, or a new genre or just something that I hadnt entirely expected whatsoever.

I steal cable
October 26th, 2010, 6:31 PM
I'm in like flynn

Canuck
October 26th, 2010, 6:35 PM
I will do as much as my course load will allow.

Second City Saint
October 26th, 2010, 6:44 PM
Same with Hurley. I'd really prefer to be given music or a film.

Alf
October 26th, 2010, 7:34 PM
Did you think of this because I've been hounding you to read lots of books?

I'm in.

Simmo Fortyone
October 26th, 2010, 7:47 PM
I'm in. I've got a new job and new city that has a 45-60 minute train commute each way, so I'm already using that time to listen to music I haven't listened to in years, and also podcasts and such. I'm up for new recommendations :yes:

BBF
October 27th, 2010, 4:24 AM
Yeah why not. In.

son_of_foley
October 27th, 2010, 4:43 AM
yes ok i am in.

SheltonLondon
October 27th, 2010, 5:12 AM
I'll have a go at this, could be interesting.

RFF Champ
October 27th, 2010, 5:52 AM
I came into this thread thinking it was about Takeshi's Castle. Ultimately disappointed.

son_of_foley
October 27th, 2010, 6:53 AM
Ninja Warrior is the best thing on challenge

BBF
October 27th, 2010, 6:57 AM
Fort Boyard.

Alf
October 27th, 2010, 7:01 AM
Simon.

Simon
October 27th, 2010, 7:01 AM
I'm up for this.

Beefy
October 27th, 2010, 7:11 AM
Fuck it. Go on then.

Pete Cash
October 27th, 2010, 9:29 AM
I was going to make a thread like this entirely about music where we would listen to an album a week or every two weeks or something until people outright said they wouldn't listen to specific genres of music :wtf:

And thus defeating the entire purpose of the idea.

Miotch
October 27th, 2010, 11:51 AM
I was going to make a thread like this entirely about music where we would listen to an album a week or every two weeks or something until people outright said they wouldn't listen to specific genres of music :wtf:

And thus defeating the entire purpose of the idea.
Shit like this makes me want to bang my face against a wall.

Mik
October 27th, 2010, 6:06 PM
Are you in Pete Cash?

The_Mike
October 27th, 2010, 7:12 PM
I'm in, though I do ask I don't be given any books, I have horrible textbooks to deal with for college already on top of my own reading. Though I suppose short stories would not be a problem. This is a very good idea, hope it works out well and we get a lot of discussion going and some horizons (and perhaps other parts) are widened.

Mik
October 28th, 2010, 5:55 PM
So far...

Pablo Diablo
Cewsh
Deewun
Miotch
Mary
Hurley
Second City Saint
Alf
Simmo
BBF
SoF
SheltonLondon
Alex?
Simon
Beefy
Pete Cash?
The Mike
Mik

That 18 (16 confirmed). See if anyone else wants to join and then I'll get moved onto the next stage, perhaps by the weekend.

Pete Cash
October 29th, 2010, 12:43 AM
I will join

sounds like a laugh

RockOverBoston
October 29th, 2010, 12:49 AM
Yeah, I'd like to get in on this as well. People here tend to have much better than average taste.

terencestamp7
October 29th, 2010, 1:13 AM
I'd like to join.

Grimario
October 29th, 2010, 2:39 AM
I'm keen.

Mik
October 29th, 2010, 4:47 AM
Pablo Diablo
Cewsh
Deewun
Miotch
Mary
Hurley
Second City Saint
Alf
Simmo
BBF
SoF
SheltonLondon
Alex?
Simon
Beefy
Pete Cash
The Mike
Mik
Grim
RoB
terencestamp7
Murphy

Murphy
October 29th, 2010, 5:05 AM
Yeah, ok. Sure. Fine. I'll do it.

Yes.

The Rosk
October 29th, 2010, 6:46 AM
I'm not interested. The last time we tried a Book Club on here I was the only one who read the book.

Just to let you know where i stand Mik.

Mik
October 29th, 2010, 7:21 AM
I read the book. You enjoyed the fucking book didnt you?

Pablo Diablo
October 29th, 2010, 1:33 PM
That book was boring. But I read it. I wouldn't be surprised if you liked it though Rosk. Was just like your boring ass Crystals of Tresgay.

Mik
October 31st, 2010, 8:05 AM
Pablo Diablo
Cewsh
Deewun
Miotch
Mary
Hurley
Second City Saint
Alf
Simmo
BBF
SoF
SheltonLondon
Alex?
Simon
Beefy
Pete Cash
The Mike
Mik
Grim
RoB
terencestamp7
Murphy

Right next is for two people off this list to PM me a random order of all the numbers between 1 - 22.

First two people who send the list will decide the random order of the pairings. I will explain how the order was worked out after I've had the PMs.

Mik
October 31st, 2010, 11:35 AM
Thanks Pablo for the first list. One more please.

Mik
October 31st, 2010, 12:00 PM
And thanks to BBF who provided the seccond set of numbers.

So we've got this list here:

Pablo Diablo
Cewsh
Deewun
Miotch
Mary
Hurley
Second City Saint
Alf
Simmo
BBF
SoF
SheltonLondon
Alex?
Simon
Beefy
Pete Cash
The Mike
Mik
Grim
RoB
terencestamp7
Murphy

Each of them are attributed a number in order as picked by Pablo Diablo whose number list was as follows:

So you get

Pablo Diablo - 10
Cewsh - 22
Deewun - 11
Miotch - 1
Mary - 9
Hurley - 17
Second City Saint - 6
Alf - 5
Simmo - 12
BBF - 2
SoF - 3
SheltonLondon - 13
Alex? - 18
Simon - 21
Beefy - 19
Pete Cash - 4
The Mike - 14
Mik - 16
Grim - 8
RoB - 15
terencestamp7 - 7
Murphy - 20

That is your number and that will most likely stick with you through this thread. Then we'll take BBF's list of numbers and that will act as a draw. So his list is:

And that gives us:

Alf - 5 vs The Mike - 14
Alex - 18 vs Cewsh - 22
SoF - 3 vs Mary - 9
terencestamp7 - 7 vs Deewun - 11
Beefy - 19 vs Simon - 21
Murphy - 20 vs BBF - 2
Pete Cash - 4 vs Miotch - 1
Grim - 8 vs Simmo - 12
Mik - 16 vs Second City Saint - 6
Pablo Diablo - 10 vs Hurley - 17
RoB - 15 vs SheltonLondon - 13

Now what happens now is that you need to get in contact with your partner/challenger and you need to agree a challenge within a week, although the sooner the better really, naturally you'll need some discussion to see what each other have already seen or read, so be prepared to offer a few suggestions. Obviously some people have already expressed that they have conditions to what they can or cant do, so its up to yourselves to make the arrangements. Do this in the spirit of the challenge, its all about doing things that you wouldnt normally do so that you can try to get someone else into something that you want them to try and experience. So dont agree to watch or read something that you've already read. Similarly, dont hear a challenge and turn it down just cos you think that you wont fancy it or because it seems like hard work, thats kind of the point. It doesnt matter if your challenge is as easy as 'listen to an album' or something like that, or whether its as long as 'give a tv series a try', your time limits imposed can adjust depending on those and once done let me know and when someone is available you're free to move onto your next challenge.

I understand that different people are likely to do different things and some people will come and go in this, so I'll set some suggested timelines, but ultimately it is your decision and its important to understand that some people may not read (for example) as quickly as you do.

I would suggest:

Listen to an album = 1 week.
Watch a film = 1 week.
Read a book/watch a television series = 1 month.

Feel free to be more creative and move beyond these simple suggestions in order to truly experience different things within the 'entertainment' umbrella, but consider this a starting point.

Other than that, let me know when you've agreed your challenge and I'll post them all in this thread and we'll use this to see how everyone is getting on and hopefully encourage some discussion. If you want to make a thread about your challenge, go for it.

Pablo Diablo
October 31st, 2010, 1:23 PM
Sent off my challenge to Hurley but he might have some difficulty doing it in my search for it myself. Will probably have to think of a second.

Canuck
October 31st, 2010, 4:00 PM
I've been challenged to watch Oldboy
I've challenged Pablo to listen to Miles Benjamin Anthony Robinson's self-titled album.

:yes:

Pablo Diablo
October 31st, 2010, 4:01 PM
Hurley and I have agreed on our first challenge.

I have challenged him to watch Oldboy and he has challenged me to listen to Miles Benjamin Anthony Robinson's debut self-titled album.

I suppose I'll put my review of it in the Listening Forum when I've listened to it a couple times.

Or as Hurley just said above.

Cewsh
October 31st, 2010, 4:05 PM
Sent a message off to Alex.

I know nothing about him, so it'll be interesting to get a wildcard suggestion straight off.

The_Mike
October 31st, 2010, 9:14 PM
I got Alf, who I think lives about 10 miles away. We're from different worlds! :panic:

Just kidding, we're probably quite different in our tastes and I'm looking forward to expanding my horizons.

Pablo Diablo
October 31st, 2010, 10:35 PM
I couldn't find an appropriate thread to comment on this in the Listening Room and it's probably not worth a whole thread to itself so I'll just post about my challenge here.

I've listened through Miles Benjamin Anthony Robinson's self-titled album once so far. It definitely isn't something that I would have come across on my own as I will admit that my taste in music is very Top 40/hip-hop rap recommended by my cousins.

That being said I found this to be an album that I will definitely give another listen through to. The first impressions are that I prefer the first half of the album with the lead song Buriedfed being my favourite at the moment. But there is a song in the second half, Written Over, that I also found to be quite good. There are times in that first half where there seem to be some Beatles influences. For example the ending of The Debtor is something that wouldn't be out of place on a Magical Mystery Tour track. The bass line in Who's Laughing reminds me of I've Got A Feeling (Beatles version obviously). One complaint that I have is that I'm really having a hard time understanding any of the lyrics. Although I suppose this is to be expected considering most of the stuff I hear is over-processed to make the lyrics clear. The next time I listen through I will probably take a look at the lyrics while listening.

Hurley told me when he gave me the challenge that there are many things about it you pick up on in repeated listenings and when doing nothing. So I'm going to give it another shot now that I have a better idea about it. All in all a good start to the challenge series for me.

BBF
November 1st, 2010, 5:05 AM
Sent a challenge over to Smurph.

Beefy
November 1st, 2010, 5:35 AM
Simon was just about the worst draw I could have got. I seriously doubt that there's anything I've watched that he hasn't. I don't read much. I don't listen to much music.

THIS IS A NIGHTMARE.

Simon
November 1st, 2010, 5:40 AM
To be fair Beefy I thought the same...I was looking through all the shows I've watched and "all" the films I've seen and there was very little that I could be confident you hadn't seen. Music might be our best bet, I'm sure there's something you like that I don't know. I've only recently got properly into The Beatles for fuck's sake.

Murphy
November 1st, 2010, 6:09 AM
Challenge sent to BBFster.

I might have a problem getting hold of what he gave to me though. :\

BBF
November 1st, 2010, 6:44 AM
Got yours. That should be no problem, might take me a couple of weeks due to no internet access at the moment but I'll keep trying and hopefully will be able to watch this weekend.

If you can't get hold of Community I'll think up something else.

Murphy
November 1st, 2010, 6:45 AM
Sorry to be a pain, Sir.

I will ask around though.

Will get back to you.

Murphy
November 1st, 2010, 10:37 AM
Ok, BBF. I think Community could be a problem. It started a few weeks ago on TV over here. So can’t catch it on TV and the DVD isn’t out yet…

I’m a bit of a spastic when it comes to downloading things, but if anyone can advise me of what I can do, I’ll be happy to watch it.

BBF
November 1st, 2010, 10:40 AM
Ok, well if needs be I have a megashares account which is fairly simple to use. I'm up for letting people use it occasionally (obviously without taking the piss) if they have no other means of getting the program/film they have been asked to watch.

I'll send you a PM with the details and how it works at some point tonight.

Simon
November 1st, 2010, 10:49 AM
Torrents are very easy to use and quick for downloading. Shame there isn't a program that can make Community a better programme.

terencestamp7
November 1st, 2010, 11:14 AM
I got my challenge from Deewun. I've put it on my Netflix queue, I forgot to send my movie in the mail today so I probably wont' get it until Thursday.

Cewsh
November 1st, 2010, 12:44 PM
Still no word back from Alex.

Out of curiosity, what do we do if the other guy doesn't get back to us before the next round of picking? Just wait until the next pairing?

Beefy
November 1st, 2010, 12:50 PM
Set Alex 'being good at Rajah Fantasy Football'. He clearly needs his horizons broadened in that regard.

Beefy
November 1st, 2010, 12:59 PM
Simon has challenged me to watch the Channel 4 eight-part series 'Buried'.

I've challenged Simon to watch the two-part mini-series & first six episodes of Battlestar Galactica.

Simon
November 1st, 2010, 1:13 PM
I am going to win this challenge. I'm presuming the way it works is like Come Dine With Me, we rate each other's choice out of ten and the highest score wins. I'm going to give you a zero even if I love it, then go on holibobs with the £25k.

Alf
November 1st, 2010, 1:13 PM
Sent mine to The_Mike.

Deewun
November 1st, 2010, 1:37 PM
I got my challenge from Deewun. I've put it on my Netflix queue, I forgot to send my movie in the mail today so I probably wont' get it until Thursday.

Yup, we are kicking. I found a copy of the CD ( Spacehog - "The Hogyssey" ) and from the little bit of research I did on Wikipedia, I'm getting pretty stoked. The movie I challenged him with is Better Luck Tomorrow (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Better_luck_tomorrow), which is one of my top 15 favorites, and one that I know a lot of people never got a chance to see. Here's to hoping he/you enjoy(s).

Mik
November 1st, 2010, 2:39 PM
Still no word back from Alex.

Out of curiosity, what do we do if the other guy doesn't get back to us before the next round of picking? Just wait until the next pairing?

If he doesnt get back to you (or does, but negatively), I'll sort something out.

Can I please ask anyone who has agreed a challenge to put it in here so that I can update the first post and we can keep a record of how much all of our arseholes have been broadened and who we can thank for doing so?

Myself and Second City Saint have made the following challenge:

He has challenged me to listen to the album The Fire In Our Throats Will Beckon The Thaw, by Pelican...which sounds like its going to be FUCKING SHIT, but I will reserve judgement as I'm not great with anything that isnt popular or classical music. I have challenged him to watch The Machinist.

BBF
November 1st, 2010, 2:44 PM
Me and Murphy:

I have challenged Murphy to watch the first series of Community.
He has challenged me to watch Miss Potter starring Reneé Zellweger.

MikeHunt
November 1st, 2010, 2:59 PM
i'll take alex's place if i can.

this sounds good.

Mik
November 1st, 2010, 3:28 PM
He has challenged me to watch Miss Potter starring Reneé Zellweger.

Haha, christ.

i'll take alex's place if i can.

this sounds good.

If he doesnt respond by the end of the week, you can.

Cewsh
November 1st, 2010, 4:39 PM
The movie I challenged him with is Better Luck Tomorrow (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Better_luck_tomorrow), which is one of my top 15 favorites, and one that I know a lot of people never got a chance to see. Here's to hoping he/you enjoy(s).

Fantastic flick. He's lucky to get it.

LOCONUT
November 1st, 2010, 5:15 PM
I'll get in if possible

Mik
November 1st, 2010, 5:22 PM
You can join up with Mike Hunt then as numbers 23 (GBF) and 24 (Mike Hunt).

Badger
November 1st, 2010, 5:35 PM
I'm up for challenging the Cewshinator if Alex doesn't.

RockOverBoston
November 1st, 2010, 5:42 PM
Well, I've sent a message to SheltonLondon, and hopefully we'll have something worked out in short order.

I steal cable
November 1st, 2010, 5:46 PM
I've set s_o_f the challenge of painting my house inside and out - he has a week.

but seriously, I'm watching 'Batteries not Included'

terencestamp7
November 1st, 2010, 5:49 PM
batteries not included was the first film I saw at the cinema.

virms
November 1st, 2010, 6:14 PM
When another person wants in I will jump in as well.

Simon
November 1st, 2010, 6:54 PM
Mik, I have set Beefy the challenge of watching the Channel 4 series Buried. He has set me the task of watching the first six episodes of Battlestar Galactica.

Mik
November 1st, 2010, 6:57 PM
I'm up for challenging the Cewshinator if Alex doesn't.

When another person wants in I will jump in as well.

Badger (25) meet Virmicious (26).

Simon, Beefy has already posted that mate.

Beefy
November 1st, 2010, 7:07 PM
You'll have to excuse him, Mik. He's just a bit excited.

turdpower
November 1st, 2010, 7:25 PM
I'm in.

Grimario
November 1st, 2010, 7:35 PM
Simmo and I have communicated. We are jumping in to the music first up and waiting a response from Simmo as to whether he has heard of the artist I have suggested at which point I will select an album for him.

Simon
November 1st, 2010, 7:47 PM
Worst thing is I have posted since Beefy labelled the bet. I am drunk no lie.

Grimario
November 2nd, 2010, 3:56 AM
Simmo Fortyone has challenged me to listen to his favourite blues album - Ash Grunwald - I Don't Believe
I have challenged Simmo to listen to Matthew Good Band - Last of the Ghetto Astronauts

If this torrent picks up speed, I might be able to listen to it on the train tomorrow :yes:

Pete Cash
November 2nd, 2010, 4:01 AM
OK i will watch season 1 of the west wing and you can watch chopper miotch. (it stars eric bana and its about an australian fuckwit)

son_of_foley
November 2nd, 2010, 4:46 AM
I've set s_o_f the challenge of painting my house inside and out - he has a week.

but seriously, I'm watching 'Batteries not Included'

And I will be listening to some foreign hip-hop. Mary, if you do not cry at batteries not included you have a heart of stone

Cewsh
November 2nd, 2010, 9:32 AM
Alex got back to me by the way, we're hammering it out now.

Badger
November 2nd, 2010, 10:46 AM
Badger (25) meet Virmicious (26).

Sent mine off to virm, just waiting on an answer back.

virms
November 2nd, 2010, 12:19 PM
Downloading Badger's challenge and uploading one for him.

Badger
November 2nd, 2010, 1:43 PM
The challenges in question are virm has to listen to "Ziltoid the Omniscient" by The Devin Townsend Project, and I have to listen to Ben Folds Five's debut album of the same name.

Miotch
November 2nd, 2010, 2:19 PM
OK i will watch season 1 of the west wing and you can watch chopper miotch. (it stars eric bana and its about an australian fuckwit)
:yes:

I'm thinking it's time to restart my netflix.

Mik
November 2nd, 2010, 3:10 PM

Reckon you two might win the prize for the best challenges of round 1.

Mik
November 2nd, 2010, 3:22 PM

Alf has to listen to the album Room Noises by Eisley (http://forums.rajah.com/showpost.php?p=6510449&postcount=98) (Completed) vs The Mike has to listen to Grace by Jeff Buckley (http://forums.rajah.com/showpost.php?p=6510064&postcount=93) (Completed)

Alex has to Ladyhawke vs Cewsh has to watch Mary and Max.SoF has to listen to 'Struggle Continues' by sweetish rap band looptroop vs Mary has to watch 'Batteries Not Included'

terencestamp7 has to watch Better Luck Tomorrow vs Deewun has to listen to Spacehog - "The Hogyssey" (http://forums.rajah.com/showpost.php?p=6510580&postcount=102) (Completed)

Beefy has to watch the tv miniseries Buried vs Simon has to watch the first 6 episodes of Battlestar Galactica

Pete Cash has to watch Season 1 of The West Wing vs Miotch has to watch Chopper.

Grim has to listen to Ash Grunwald - I Don't Believe vs Simmo has to listen to Matthew Good Band - Last of the Ghetto Astronauts.

Mik has to listen to The Fire In Our Throats Will Beckon The Thaw, by Pelican (http://forums.rajah.com/showpost.php?p=6513580&postcount=144) (Completed) vs Second City Saint has to watch The Machinist.

Pablo Diablo has to listen to Miles Benjamin Anthony Robinson's self-titled album (http://forums.rajah.com/showpost.php?p=6507214&postcount=44) (Completed) vs Hurley has to watch Oldboy (http://forums.rajah.com/showpost.php?p=6511337&postcount=112) (Completed)

RoB has to watch Nathan Barley vs SheltonLondon has to watch the first season of 'Brotherhood'.GBF has to listen to Gang Gang Dance - Saint Dymphna vs Mike Hunt has to listen to Camp Lo - Uptown Saturday Night.

Badger had to listen to Ben Folds Five's debut album of the same name (http://forums.rajah.com/showpost.php?p=6510575&postcount=101)"Ziltoid the Omniscient" (http://forums.rajah.com/showpost.php?p=6511487&postcount=113) by The Devin Townsend Project. (Completed) (Completed) vs Virmicious has to listen to

Still waiting for those in bold to get back to me with specifics of their challenge at the moment.

The_Mike
November 2nd, 2010, 3:39 PM
Alf gave me Jeff Buckley's Grace to listen to and I sent him Eisley's Room Noises. He's not got back to me yet to confirm he hasn't heard it before but I imagine not.

Miotch
November 2nd, 2010, 3:52 PM
Reckon you two might win the prize for the best challenges of round 1.
I'm actually going to go back and rewatch season 1 of The West Wing too. It's been so long.

Mik
November 2nd, 2010, 3:56 PM
I would've liked to have done either of your challenge.

LOCONUT
November 2nd, 2010, 4:57 PM
Mike Hunt has to listen to Camp Lo - Uptown Saturday Night

I have to listen to Gang Gang Dance - Saint Dymphna

The_Mike
November 3rd, 2010, 12:48 PM
I'm quite enjoying what Alf has suggested to me - Grace by Jeff Buckley. Of course it has Hallelujah which just about everyone will know, and it's a classic, but the rest of it is very enjoyable. It's easy listening, not something I would have looked for myself, but I don't think I'd skip any of the songs if they popped up on my iPod on shuffle. I get the feeling a few of these songs will grow on me over time. I love Eternal Life already.

I'd give the album a score but I think it'd be a bit unfair to try to quantify a rating for something that's generally out of my scene. And what would the number mean anyway? 4/5 for a film to me is something that I'd really, really want to see, and to someone else it might be a "better than average". So I'll just go with this - I enjoyed it, and am pleased to have been challenged to give it a listen. :yes:

MikeHunt
November 3rd, 2010, 1:13 PM
grace is a fucking brilliant album.

what a challenge.

LOCONUT
November 3rd, 2010, 1:54 PM
Agreed. I have boned countless unsuspecting ho's to that record.

Mik
November 3rd, 2010, 6:40 PM
I've never listened to it. Might give it a try.

terencestamp7
November 3rd, 2010, 6:42 PM
Better Luck Tomorrow is coming tomorrow from Netflix, but I won't be able to watch it until Friday. I have my screenplay writing class tomorrow from 8-10. Looking forward to the movie though.

Alf
November 3rd, 2010, 6:45 PM
It's ruddy beautiful Mik. Definitely a bit of a revelation for me. I adore it.

I was challenged to listen to the album Room Noises by Eisley... and I feel really bad about this... but I really didn't like it. It's just not my sort of music really. Sorry Mike, I feel like I've pissed in your eyes.

I tried to like it. I really did.

Sorry everyone.

Mik
November 3rd, 2010, 6:46 PM
Thats what this is all about mate. There is no guarantee that any of us will like any of our challenges. It'd be nice if it opened some eyes, but its hardly likely to strike every time.

The_Mike
November 3rd, 2010, 8:12 PM
Not a problem, Alf, it's all part of the game, yo. It's not something I love dearly either, was more something I stumbled across and was surprised to find that I dug it.

Badger
November 3rd, 2010, 8:36 PM
A quick rundown of my thoughts on Ben Folds Five.

Having never heard his stuff before, I didn't know what to expect. It was a change of pace from what I usually listen to like no guitar for example, and it was quite light-hearted and the band definitely has talent. There's some catchy tunes like Jackson's Cannery, Philosophy and I thought Boxing in particular was a beautiful song. I felt it got a bit samey and one-dimensional when I went through the songs though and not personally an album I would listen to all the way through again (which I guess is understandable being a debut album) but some of the songs I would definitely listen to again.

Deewun
November 3rd, 2010, 8:43 PM
Better Luck Tomorrow is coming tomorrow from Netflix, but I won't be able to watch it until Friday. I have my screenplay writing class tomorrow from 8-10. Looking forward to the movie though.

Sweet. It is an immense movie. Hope you enjoy.

I just finished my second listen through of "Hogyssey." It was ... meh. Spacehog really wants to pay homage in their music to the guys they love, like Queen and Bowie, but really, all they ended up doing was make me wish I was listening to Bowie. THOUGH the track for which the album is built around is a pretty awesome cover of Also Sprach Zarathustra, the theme from 2001: a Space Odyssey. THAT song I will listen to over and over again, I just love it. But the rest of the album, meh. I'll stick in Bowie is I wanna hear something like Bowie.

I wish I could find a youtube video of it to share. It is a very fun, colorful, and well made funk-rock cover of it.

Canuck
November 3rd, 2010, 10:27 PM
I've got Oldboy Pablo, just have my exam tomorrow so haven't had time to watch it. Possibly going to watch it before sleep tonight, but most likely it will be tomorrow or this weekend before I get to watch it. :yes:

Pablo Diablo
November 3rd, 2010, 10:42 PM
You've got time, watch it tomorrow or on the weekend. Don't watch it before an exam.

son_of_foley
November 4th, 2010, 4:03 AM
Listening to looptroop right now. Quality of the beats has been suprisingly good so far. KUDOS MARY

son_of_foley
November 4th, 2010, 5:28 AM
Only thing I dont like is the mid-atlantic rapping voices they are putting on

Grimario
November 4th, 2010, 5:47 AM
Simmo, loving this album. Listened to it on the train to and from work yesterday, currently at the computer with headphones on ignoring the wife now :yes:

SheltonLondon
November 4th, 2010, 6:10 AM
I've challenged ROB to watch the first (and only) series of Nathan Barley. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but after re-watching it a couple of times I absolutely love it and I imagine it never made the jump to the Yanks!

Still waiting on his challenge.

RockOverBoston
November 4th, 2010, 3:32 PM
I've sent Shelton his response challenge, just need to know whether or not he's already familiar with it, and I'll post it once I do.

I've read the Wiki page for Nathan Barley, and it seems like something I might enjoy quite a lot. I'm looking forward to finding out.

Cewsh
November 4th, 2010, 4:05 PM
Alex and I have talked and unless he has already seen what I suggested our challenged is that he's going to watch Ladyhawke and i'm going to watch Mary and Max.

RockOverBoston
November 4th, 2010, 4:52 PM
It's official between SheltonLondon and I -

I will be watching the lone season of "Nathan Barley"

SheltonLondon will be watching the first season of "Brotherhood"

Canuck
November 4th, 2010, 4:53 PM
I've got Oldboy Pablo, just have my exam tomorrow so haven't had time to watch it. Possibly going to watch it before sleep tonight, but most likely it will be tomorrow or this weekend before I get to watch it. :yes:

Alright, so I've watched it now. And I really don't know what I think. Throughout the movie I was fairly bored and found myself waiting for the end. The twist livened it up a little, but still I found everything to be a bit ridiculous. I've been a fan of most of the foreign films I've seen to date, but this one hasn't really done much for me. At the same time though, it wasn't a terrible film either. I'd give it about a 6/10.

virms
November 4th, 2010, 8:30 PM
For the most part I enjoyed The Devin Townsend - Zeltoid The Omniscient. I must say I was a bit worried when I first saw it was Heavy Metal as I am not the world's biggest fan of the genre. I was really worried it was going to be the typical growl/scream that I hear these days. Even though there was a bit of screaming in it it was actually used well. I was especially relieved to find the album not only had many different sides musically but it was also rather humorous.

The first half of the album was actually a treat for me. The 2nd part kind of slowed down a bit. I must say it had elements of Frank Zappa in it but it also had some Marilyn Manson qualities to it. At the end of the day the drummer is fucking amazing. If I had to pick a favorite song as of right now it would be "Zeltoid Atttaxx!"

I also showed this to one of my metal buddies and he fucking loved it.

Overall - Definitely glad I heard this album. A few songs I will take away with me and my friend is definitely happy he has now heard this album.

A quick rundown of my thoughts on Ben Folds Five.

Having never heard his stuff before, I didn't know what to expect. It was a change of pace from what I usually listen to like no guitar for example, and it was quite light-hearted and the band definitely has talent. There's some catchy tunes like Jackson's Cannery, Philosophy and I thought Boxing in particular was a beautiful song. I felt it got a bit samey and one-dimensional when I went through the songs though and not personally an album I would listen to all the way through again (which I guess is understandable being a debut album) but some of the songs I would definitely listen to again.

How did you feel about the song Underground? That was the song that got me into them.

Miotch
November 4th, 2010, 8:49 PM
1 Angry Dwarf :yes:

Pablo Diablo
November 4th, 2010, 8:58 PM
Well after another listen my opinion is pretty much the same. Liked the first half, especially Buriedfed really don't like the second half of it though. But Buriedfed is getting on my standard rotation now. Cheers Hurley.

CHALLENGES COMPLETE

Miotch
November 4th, 2010, 9:04 PM
Alright, so I've watched it now. And I really don't know what I think. Throughout the movie I was fairly bored and found myself waiting for the end. The twist livened it up a little, but still I found everything to be a bit ridiculous. I've been a fan of most of the foreign films I've seen to date, but this one hasn't really done much for me. At the same time though, it wasn't a terrible film either. I'd give it about a 6/10.

No offense Hurley but I don't believe you watched Oldboy if this is your review. Nothing about the amazing fight scene done in one camera shot? Nothing about the fucking end of the movie?

son_of_foley
November 5th, 2010, 4:40 AM
1 Angry Dwarf :yes:

That song is properly amazing

Badger
November 5th, 2010, 4:56 AM
For the most part I enjoyed The Devin Townsend - Zeltoid The Omniscient. I must say I was a bit worried when I first saw it was Heavy Metal as I am not the world's biggest fan of the genre. I was really worried it was going to be the typical growl/scream that I hear these days. Even though there was a bit of screaming in it it was actually used well. I was especially relieved to find the album not only had many different sides musically but it was also rather humorous.

The first half of the album was actually a treat for me. The 2nd part kind of slowed down a bit. I must say it had elements of Frank Zappa in it but it also had some Marilyn Manson qualities to it. At the end of the day the drummer is fucking amazing. If I had to pick a favorite song as of right now it would be "Zeltoid Atttaxx!"

I also showed this to one of my metal buddies and he fucking loved it.

Overall - Definitely glad I heard this album. A few songs I will take away with me and my friend is definitely happy he has now heard this album.

Glad you and your buddy liked it.

This was a solo project so Devin did everything. Instruments, recording, production etc.

He is actually quite a beautiful singer as well, you see this in "Hyperdrive" and his album "Ki" reflects this more too should you want to explore further.[/quote]

How did you feel about the song Underground? That was the song that got me into them.

Boxing is my favourite song of the album, however I did quite like Underground too. He takes a pretty depressing subject like being an outcast and makes it pretty upbeat.

Murphy
November 5th, 2010, 5:34 AM
I need BBF to sort me out or I need another challenge.

He doesn't appear to have been around the last few days. :(

BBF
November 5th, 2010, 5:39 AM
I'm hereeeeeeeeee.

how about being as you set me your favourite homosexual movie I set you mine?

500 days of summer. If you have seen it watch The Last Kiss starring zach braff and rachel bilson.

Simon
November 5th, 2010, 5:51 AM
Beefy it's taking forever to download Battlestar Galactica but I should be ready to start next week. You had a look at Buried yet?

Beefy
November 5th, 2010, 5:54 AM
Not yet. Was planning to start over the weekend.

You downloading the two-part mini-series, too? Not just the first six episodes.

son_of_foley
November 5th, 2010, 5:56 AM
I'm hereeeeeeeeee.

500 days of summer. If you have seen it watch The Last Kiss starring zach braff and rachel bilson.

Last Kiss is an awful film. I am very dissapointed in you

Simon
November 5th, 2010, 6:00 AM
Not yet. Was planning to start over the weekend.

You downloading the two-part mini-series, too? Not just the first six episodes.

Two pilots plus the first six episodes?

son_of_foley
November 5th, 2010, 6:03 AM
Buried as in the Ryan Reynolds film? It was suprisingly good at keeping your attention with a fairly basic premise

BBF
November 5th, 2010, 6:04 AM
Last Kiss is an awful film. I am very dissapointed in you

I can't work out if i like it or not.

Have you seen The Ex with braff? awful awful film

son_of_foley
November 5th, 2010, 6:06 AM
Yep I've decided hes not actually that good an actor.

Beefy
November 5th, 2010, 6:19 AM
Two pilots plus the first six episodes?

Yeah, that's it.

Buried as in the Ryan Reynolds film? It was suprisingly good at keeping your attention with a fairly basic premise

No, Buried the eight part Channel Four mini-series:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buried_%28TV_series%29

Murphy
November 5th, 2010, 6:21 AM
I'm hereeeeeeeeee.

I can't work out if i like it or not.

Have you seen The Ex with braff? awful awful film

I have plenty of favourite homosexual films. :D

I think I've seen The Last Kiss and quite enjoyed it. :ashamed:

500 Days of Summer I shall dig out of somewhere.

BBF
November 5th, 2010, 6:22 AM
Yep I've decided hes not actually that good an actor.

He should've been good in that film. But god it was awful.

Garden State is fine and he does well in that but I think there's probably a reason he's never really broken into films.

son_of_foley
November 5th, 2010, 6:36 AM
Garden State is largely over-rated I thinks

BBF
November 5th, 2010, 6:41 AM
i went through a stage of watching it loads so it lost its shine a bit for me. i need to watch it again soon and see if its still good.

The_Mike
November 5th, 2010, 8:14 AM
Garden State is one of my favourite films ever, but Last Kiss was... odd. It seemed to suffer from rather stilted pacing and was pretty miserable throughout. I don't mind a depressing film but it should have some beauty to it or some excitement - this just seemed to be a protracted domestic dispute. I wouldn't say it was awful but it was something I kept checking to see how long was left.

Garden State, on the other hand, is naught but joy.

Canuck
November 5th, 2010, 10:14 AM
No offense Hurley but I don't believe you watched Oldboy if this is your review. Nothing about the amazing fight scene done in one camera shot? Nothing about the fucking end of the movie?

Lick me clit. I didn't want to spoil any of the movie for anyone who hasn't seen it.

I'm assuming you mean the fight in the hallway where it was 50 on 1 and somehow he walks out on top? If so I wasn't very impressed, I just kept thinking how I would boot fuck the shit out of him.

And what about the end of the movie? The twist, or the hypnosis?

Canuck
November 5th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Well after another listen my opinion is pretty much the same. Liked the first half, especially Buriedfed really don't like the second half of it though. But Buriedfed is getting on my standard rotation now. Cheers Hurley.

CHALLENGES COMPLETE

The second half is what grew on me. First half like you I got into right away. Buriedfed is an amazing tune. I like his build-up in his songs. Buriedfed picks up steam gradually throughout and I think that's what makes it so good. Mountaineerd is one that got better and better as I listened to it. The build-up and climax of that song is spectacular. Boneindian is a pretty little tune. I can see how the first half would be preferred for sure. I'm just glad you enjoyed some of it at least. I figured Buriedfed, The Debtor, My good luck and Woodfriend would be the ones you might enjoy off the get go. How accurate was that?

Pablo Diablo
November 5th, 2010, 1:37 PM
Yup that sounds about right. As for the ending of the album I don't mind Boneindian but I felt like Above the Sun would have been a better ending for the album. Felt it had good closure at the end of it. But yeah it's his build-up in Buriedfed that I love. My Good Luck I didn't really like that much, might give it another listen though.

Miotch
November 5th, 2010, 1:59 PM
Lick me clit. I didn't want to spoil any of the movie for anyone who hasn't seen it.

I'm assuming you mean the fight in the hallway where it was 50 on 1 and somehow he walks out on top? If so I wasn't very impressed, I just kept thinking how I would boot fuck the shit out of him.

And what about the end of the movie? The twist, or the hypnosis?
I was referring to the mind blowing twist that makes your skin crawl. And that fight scene was pretty incredible all around, from the way it was shot to the choreography involved. Don't take things personally, pumpkin.

Mik
November 5th, 2010, 2:19 PM

Alex has to Ladyhawke vs Cewsh has to watch Mary and Max.

SoF - 3 vs Mary has to watch 'Batteries Not Included'

Mik has to listen to The Fire In Our Throats Will Beckon The Thaw, by Pelican vs Second City Saint has to watch The Machinist.

son_of_foley
November 5th, 2010, 6:41 PM
Mary challenged me to listen to the struggle continues by sweetish rap band looptroop I've done it

Miotch
November 5th, 2010, 6:49 PM
What did you think you lovable scamp?

turdpower
November 5th, 2010, 6:50 PM
CAN I GET IN ON THIS PLEASE?

Canuck
November 6th, 2010, 10:23 AM
I was referring to the mind blowing twist that makes your skin crawl. And that fight scene was pretty incredible all around, from the way it was shot to the choreography involved. Don't take things personally, pumpkin.

The twist was good. I thought I had mentioned that, but maybe I forgot. But I just didn't feel like I should wait 2 hours to be entertained for 5 minutes. I hadn't noticed the way the fight scene was shot while I was watching it, I could go back and watch that scene again I suppose to see what you are talking about. I just wasn't into the movie enough to notice I suppose, or it just didn't interest me.

And sorry, wasn't taking anything personal there. Lick me clit is a sarcastic remark around here. Not something harmful.

Canuck
November 6th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Yup that sounds about right. As for the ending of the album I don't mind Boneindian but I felt like Above the Sun would have been a better ending for the album. Felt it had good closure at the end of it. But yeah it's his build-up in Buriedfed that I love. My Good Luck I didn't really like that much, might give it another listen though.

It could just not be your cup of tea, I just figured it had that style to it that much catch someone on first listen. If you were to listen to another track again I'd suggest Mountaineerd. :yes:

Mik
November 7th, 2010, 10:45 AM
I listened to the album 'The Fire In Our Throats Will Beckon The Thaw' by Pelican as suggested by Second City Saint, this was genuinely something completely different for me as this is absolutely not the type of thing that I usually listen to. Generally I dont listen to music very much at all and if I do its either listening to popular commercial mainstream music on the radio, or a bit of classical music with some film scores mixed in while I'm working. To be honest, this is not the type of thing that I can ever see me being overly interested in it. It was just noise to me. There were no good lyrics that I could latch onto, no strong recurring themes. When I'm listening to instrumental music, generally I like a bit of piano or some violin or cello strings. This whole album seemed like the instrumental introduction to a song, which just went on for the whole song. Like a kareoke version. I will admit that I was more impressed by the latter tracks in the album like Aurora Borealis and Sirius, but overall it just wasnt my type of thing. I am glad that I gave it a try however.

Murphy
November 7th, 2010, 1:46 PM
Just to say, I will watch my challenge next weekend. Sorry to take so long with it.

BBF
November 7th, 2010, 1:48 PM
I'm the same. Haven't got a stable net connection so downloading is practically impossible. At least we are against each other so not holding others up.

son_of_foley
November 8th, 2010, 5:17 AM
What did you think you lovable scamp?

I actually was pretty impressed. As I said before the beats were a lot better than I was expecting as was the production. Lyrics were quite good and fun although the nasal mid-atlantic voice they put on annoyed me a bit. Really quite happy with it and may look out more stuff from them

Simon
November 8th, 2010, 6:27 AM
I am going to begin hating Battlestar Galactica at some point today. I'm right in the middle of season 2 of The Wire at the moment as well though so it will probably be tough going.

The Rosk
November 8th, 2010, 6:30 AM
Are you rewatching The Wire?

Simon
November 8th, 2010, 6:33 AM
I've watched the first season before and the first episodes of season two but then lost all the episodes on my HD so I'm working through season two again now.

The Rosk
November 8th, 2010, 6:48 AM
Have you seen the bit where hahahaha as if I would spoil it but I bet you clicked on it didn't you? Brilliant.

Simon
November 8th, 2010, 6:57 AM
Well I don't know what you've written under the spoiler so maybe but maybe not.

The Rosk
November 8th, 2010, 7:02 AM
You know you are going to press it.

Simon
November 8th, 2010, 7:06 AM
Nope and you would be a dick to try and spoil it if that's what you've done.

The Rosk
November 8th, 2010, 7:27 AM
Click it.

Simon
November 8th, 2010, 7:33 AM
Na.

The Rosk
November 8th, 2010, 8:05 AM
You won't be annoyed.

Mik
November 8th, 2010, 8:07 AM
He's not spoiling anything. Just trying to taunt you into pressing a spoiler button that has no spoilers under it.

The Rosk
November 8th, 2010, 8:08 AM
I would NEVER spoil anything Simon. The Wire is the best series ever. Shaded it over the Sopranos for me. Especially the bit where I CAN'T HELP DOING IT!11

Simon
November 8th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Beefy I am 5 minutes into the pilot and already Courtney Love is trying to have sex withAnthony Hopkins, except one or possibly both of them are robots. What the fuck is going on?

Simon
November 8th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Also, I have always assumed the name of the actor was Edward James Almost. I had him down as a loveable 'nearly man' purely on that basis. Oops.

Beefy
November 8th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Damn you Simon, I'm going to have to watch your thing now (I'll start tonight).

terencestamp7
November 8th, 2010, 2:11 PM
Sorry I haven't been able to get to the movie yet.

Second City Saint
November 8th, 2010, 4:20 PM
I apologize to Mik for slacking off but I had a busy week and surgery this weekend. The movie's available for streaming on Netflix so I'll watch it this evening then report back.

Miotch
November 8th, 2010, 4:22 PM
Netflix hasn't fucking shipped the disc yet. :irked:

Canuck
November 8th, 2010, 5:09 PM
Are we waiting for all challenges to end before setting up new ones?

Cewsh
November 8th, 2010, 5:13 PM
I'll be watching the movie tonight or tommorrow. Finally downloaded.

Mik
November 8th, 2010, 5:33 PM
Are we waiting for all challenges to end before setting up new ones?

Nah. Clearly some challenges are going to take months and some are alredy done. Give me a little time to get my head above water and I'll get all of the 'completed' people back into the pool to create new challenges.

virms
November 8th, 2010, 5:46 PM
I know it would envoke a bit more work but what about setting people up in groups? What I mean by that is there are some people to busy to read a book or watch an entire series so they can be put with a group of people of the same. Meanwhile, have the people who do have time in another group where they can do a season of tv, book, etc.

I do think quite a few of us could handle more than one challenge at a time. Myself I see no problem having a challenge of listening to an album and say watching a season of some show. Obviously the season of tv will take a bit while the album could be cracked out at work, driving to and from or while surfing online.

Just a thought really.

Pete Cash
November 8th, 2010, 9:18 PM
I have been really slack but will start watching the first few episodes when i get back to my place tonight.

Second City Saint
November 8th, 2010, 9:40 PM
I watched the film The Machinist. It stared Christian Bale as a machine operator who has been unable to sleep for a year and as a result develops paranoia, intimacy issues, and severe weight loss (he looks like a starving African, people). These issues are exacerbated when he meets a man calling himself Ivan though it appears no one else can see Ivan but Trevor (Bale). He spends the entirety of the film trying to find Ivan while coming to the realization that his life is not what he thought it was.

I apologize for that, I'm not good at reviewing films without spoiling them. I did enjoy this movie immensely and would recommend it to anyone who liked Fight Club, Memento or American Psycho. This movie had a very Fight Club-esque feel to it, though far more sinister and way less quirkiness. My one knock would be the film's score which came across as supremely melodramatic to the point of almost cheesiness.

Winkle van Tinkle
November 9th, 2010, 11:59 AM
CAN I PLAY?

Mik
November 9th, 2010, 3:58 PM
Yes. I'll get the next round of challenges sorted out this weekend, bit busy at the moment.

I watched the film The Machinist. It stared Christian Bale as a machine operator who has been unable to sleep for a year and as a result develops paranoia, intimacy issues, and severe weight loss (he looks like a starving African, people). These issues are exacerbated when he meets a man calling himself Ivan though it appears no one else can see Ivan but Trevor (Bale). He spends the entirety of the film trying to find Ivan while coming to the realization that his life is not what he thought it was.

I apologize for that, I'm not good at reviewing films without spoiling them. I did enjoy this movie immensely and would recommend it to anyone who liked Fight Club, Memento or American Psycho. This movie had a very Fight Club-esque feel to it, though far more sinister and way less quirkiness. My one knock would be the film's score which came across as supremely melodramatic to the point of almost cheesiness.

Good lad. Now read this:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0361862/board/nest/128321883?p=1

There used to be a significantly better thread on IMDB, but its fucked off somewhere. I wish IMDB would archive their threads.

terencestamp7
November 11th, 2010, 1:19 PM
How much time do I have before the new challenges start? I'll be able to watch my film by the weekend. I'm sorry for taking so long.

Mik
November 11th, 2010, 2:25 PM
You have as much time as you need. There is no rush really, people can move on without you.

RockOverBoston
November 11th, 2010, 3:08 PM
1st full day off in a while now, I figure I ought to be able to mow through all of "Nathan Barley" this afternoon. Time-wise, mine would have to be one of the easier challenges.

So far, so good, I'll elaborate when I'm done.

Simon
November 11th, 2010, 3:11 PM
I watched the first pilot of Battlestar. I'm afraid it's everything I thought it would be so far Beefy old bean. I'm continuing to give it a chance and will tuck in to the second pilot some time next week (not gonna be around over the weekend) but so far it's really not my thing at all. I think I must suffer from a lack of imagination, all talk of robot people and that shit just annoys me. There are a few redeeming qualities so far but it's almost entirely based around the human relationships. I'm probably not helping its cause by watching it alongside The Wire.

Simmo Fortyone
November 11th, 2010, 10:24 PM
Grim I have listened to it but haven't given enough substantial thought to a review. Tomorrow, I promise.

Simon I started watching BSG at the behest of a mate, and it was episode 2 or 3 (after the pilot) where I found myself really getting into it.

Aussie_Outlaw
November 11th, 2010, 11:13 PM
Simon, BSG is based around human relationships. That's what the show is about. How different aspects of humanity respond in a catastrophic crisis. It's a deliberate human based science fiction show as the creator wanted to get as far away as possible from the Star Trek type technobabble and actually base it more as a proper drama (just in space).

Plus it's odd you choose to stop in the middle of the miniseries (not actual pilot) as it'd be like stopping Inception right in the middle of the film and waiting a week to continue.

Beefy
November 12th, 2010, 5:13 AM
Exactly, it doesn't make any sense. The pilot is essentially an hour and a half long TV movie. You can't just stop it half way and pick up a week later!

Simon
November 12th, 2010, 5:16 AM
:wtf: I watched an hour and a half, the thing I downloaded had the pilot split into TWO hour and a half parts.

Like I said I will stick with it for now as I know these things can take a while to get into but I get the feeling that the basis for the show is something I'm never going to like. Having said that I'm approaching it with an open mind and would love to be proved wrong.

Beefy
November 12th, 2010, 5:20 AM
You may be right about the length of the pilot, to be fair. I haven't watched it in years.

I steal cable
November 12th, 2010, 5:38 AM
Batteries Not Included - what a lovely little film. Put a smile on my face. Surprised I'd never heard of it before.

Beefy
November 12th, 2010, 5:47 AM
That was one of my favourites as a kid. Awesome film.

son_of_foley
November 12th, 2010, 6:38 AM
Seriously Beefy watch it again now if you can. Still really lovely. Well made film, pulls the heart strings and you just massively ignore how dated it is.

Brilliant story-telling.

Beefy
November 12th, 2010, 6:49 AM
I watched it a year or so ago. It was on the BBC, possibly at Christmas.

Pete Cash
November 13th, 2010, 2:18 PM
ok i have watched half of the west wing and i am enjoying it so far. quite a few episodes i have seen but never the series as a whole.

virms
November 14th, 2010, 12:15 PM
We going to get this set up? I've got two days to get some stuff done.

Canuck
November 14th, 2010, 1:16 PM
Might be easy enough to keep this going on the fly. If two people are finished their challenges, and haven't matched up before, why not just take it in your own hands to match-up? No need of Mik doing all the work here is there?

The_Mike
November 14th, 2010, 2:24 PM
I'm ok with that, though I wouldn't want to step on Mik's toes and cause confusion. I am available, virm, if you are interested in just going for it.

Mik
November 14th, 2010, 2:43 PM
Might be easy enough to keep this going on the fly. If two people are finished their challenges, and haven't matched up before, why not just take it in your own hands to match-up? No need of Mik doing all the work here is there?

I'm fine with this to be honest. I'm a bit busy at the moment.

virms
November 14th, 2010, 6:02 PM
I'm ok with that, though I wouldn't want to step on Mik's toes and cause confusion. I am available, virm, if you are interested in just going for it.

Let's do this Mike. Shall we do a long challenge (tv series) or something easy (music album, movie,etc). I have either in mind.

I steal cable
November 14th, 2010, 7:32 PM
anyonez around?

The_Mike
November 14th, 2010, 7:33 PM
I'm around but I just pm'd virm, I'm afraid, so this reply is useless.

Pablo Diablo
November 14th, 2010, 8:04 PM
I'm around.

Grimario
November 14th, 2010, 8:06 PM
ok i have watched half of the west wing and i am enjoying it so far. quite a few episodes i have seen but never the series as a whole.

I love that show. Mrs Grim brought the whole series back from China when she went on holidays there... all mislabelled THE WEAT WING :nono: We've since bought 4 of the 7 seasons... and I still haven't seen the last season :(

Grimario
November 14th, 2010, 8:06 PM
I'm around.

Canuck
November 14th, 2010, 9:11 PM
I am here.

The_Mike
November 14th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Virm and I arranged something off the record, so to speak. Because we're renegades and mavericks! Stick that in your pipe and smoke it, establishmik. :p

Seriously, now, Virm has challenged me to watch a film from 1985 called The Stuff, and I've challenged him to watch Serenity.

virms
November 15th, 2010, 12:02 AM
The Stuff - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RPOM1JYW

I steal cable
November 15th, 2010, 6:14 AM
I'm in with Hurley for the next one

son_of_foley
November 15th, 2010, 6:25 AM
I have challenged the man mountain that is grim

Canuck
November 15th, 2010, 3:52 PM
That's a bit of a random neg Virm.

Badger
November 15th, 2010, 3:58 PM
I'm about if anyone needs a playmate.

Fanny
November 15th, 2010, 4:00 PM
can new people play Mik?

Badger
November 15th, 2010, 4:17 PM
I believe they can.

Miotch
November 15th, 2010, 4:28 PM
Chopper finally came today. Going to hopefully watch tonight.

Second City Saint
November 15th, 2010, 5:13 PM
Badger, I'm available

virms
November 15th, 2010, 5:17 PM
That's a bit of a random neg Virm.

EH? I don't remember neg repping you or repping you in general? What post was it for anyways?

Canuck
November 15th, 2010, 5:47 PM
my "I am here" post.

Torn is a cunt, was what you said. OMG I H8 U

Badger
November 15th, 2010, 6:00 PM
Badger, I'm available

Sweet.

I'll think of something and get back to you, watching a film at the mo. In the meantime if you have any ideas, send them my way.

Mik
November 15th, 2010, 6:58 PM
can new people play Mik?

Sure. I'm available for a challenge by the way.

Pablo Diablo
November 15th, 2010, 10:25 PM
I challenge you Mik!

turdpower
November 16th, 2010, 6:25 AM
PAIR ME UP.

Mik
November 16th, 2010, 7:42 AM
I challenge you Mik!

Send me a challenge over then.

SheltonLondon
November 16th, 2010, 8:57 AM
Just a note to say I've been struggling with a pathetic internet connection for the last couple of weeks. Seems to have sorted itself out now so will get onto downloading my challenge as soon as possible.

Simmo Fortyone
November 16th, 2010, 8:59 AM
So I listened to Matthew Good's Ghetto Astronaut Something or whatever it was called. For reasons not known to me I was expecting a Dave Matthews type singer-songwriter dude, which I am not opposed to, but seriously how many cunts like him are out there? Anyways, the dude's voice immediately reminded me of the dude from Live. And I love everything Live did, assuming The Distance To Here was the last album they released. No songs really stood out to me as money-makers, which I suppose is a sign of a decent album as opposed to decent list of songs. Given that was his first album, I'll definitely check out more of his recent stuff :yes:

Incidentally Grim also suggested Howie Day, but I was already familiar with his work. Still, it triggered me to obtain his last album, and played it the other night when making sweet love to a lady. And for that Grim, I thank you.

Simmo Fortyone
November 16th, 2010, 9:01 AM
I'm available for a new challenge. Hurley? Turdy?

Canuck
November 16th, 2010, 9:52 AM
I've got Mary this round. Soz. LOL

Deewun
November 16th, 2010, 5:03 PM
Probably should have mentioned I'm free if someone is looking for a challenge.

Badger
November 16th, 2010, 5:11 PM
For this round, I've got to watch Strange Brew and Secondy City Saint has to watch Harry Brown.

Mik
November 16th, 2010, 5:58 PM
Good lad. All the rest of you, dont forget to put your challenges in here.

Miotch
November 16th, 2010, 7:01 PM
Harry Brown was fantastic.

Grimario
November 16th, 2010, 7:10 PM
SOF and I are paired up.

He has challenged me to listen to Willy Mason's two albums and I have challenged him to try and find a book from my youth called Mandragora (David McRobbie) to read :yes:

Grimario
November 16th, 2010, 7:14 PM
So I listened to Matthew Good's Ghetto Astronaut Something or whatever it was called. For reasons not known to me I was expecting a Dave Matthews type singer-songwriter dude, which I am not opposed to, but seriously how many cunts like him are out there? Anyways, the dude's voice immediately reminded me of the dude from Live. And I love everything Live did, assuming The Distance To Here was the last album they released. No songs really stood out to me as money-makers, which I suppose is a sign of a decent album as opposed to decent list of songs. Given that was his first album, I'll definitely check out more of his recent stuff :yes:

Incidentally Grim also suggested Howie Day, but I was already familiar with his work. Still, it triggered me to obtain his last album, and played it the other night when making sweet love to a lady. And for that Grim, I thank you.

Glad you liked it, mate. He is an angry canadian and a lot of his stuff is very anti-US and anti-capitalism. See if you can find 21st Century Living... I think Sancty entered it as his Miotchs Music Challenge a few weeks back - off the 2003 album Avalanche :yes: There is also a whole lot of "solo" stuff where he has dropped the Band from the name as well.

I steal cable
November 16th, 2010, 7:19 PM
I've challenged Hurley to listen to some Canadian music (lol) - Brad Sucks (http://www.jamendo.com/en/artist/bradsucks)

I have 'There will be Fireworks' self titled album to go through.

Judas Iscariot
November 16th, 2010, 9:27 PM
Right so if there's anyone else like me who just came upon this thread and wants it, I'd be up for this.

virms
November 16th, 2010, 9:59 PM
I should have my challenge done and typed up in a bit.

Badger
November 18th, 2010, 3:42 PM
Harry Brown was fantastic.

It is bloody good isn't it? Never in quite some time have I been affected by watching a film for the first time. Hopefully SCS feels the same way.

Just downloaded Strange Brew, so will report back with my findings soon. If not tonight, then over the weekend.

Miotch
November 18th, 2010, 3:46 PM
I watched Chopper on Monday night, so here's my review. It was pretty great, though I feel that my not knowing the history behind Chopper Read hindered the experience for me. I went and did some research after the fact, but I wish I had known all of that going in. It was a pretty great performance that overshadowed a poor production quality that even lent its own charm to the story. 7/10. Thoroughly enjoyed.

I'm available for a challenge if anyone else is.

Mik
November 18th, 2010, 4:04 PM
Pablo Diablo has challenged me to watch the first season of something called 'The League' and I've challenged him to read Neil Gaiman's 'Neverwhere'.

Alf
November 18th, 2010, 5:47 PM
Wait, I forgot about this thread. Someone challenge me.

The_Mike
November 18th, 2010, 6:16 PM
I should have my challenge done and typed up in a bit.

Cool, I'll probably have mine done tomorrow.

Miotch
November 18th, 2010, 6:59 PM
Pablo Diablo has challenged me to watch the first season of something called 'The League' and I've challenged him to read Neil Gaiman's 'Neverwhere'.

6 hilarious 20 minute episodes for you.

LOCONUT
November 18th, 2010, 7:16 PM
OK, I listened to the Gang Gang Dance as per the MikeHunt challenge. It was some sort of Electro House Dance deal. Not my speed at all. I found it nearly impossible to get through.

So who is next for me then?

Cewsh
November 18th, 2010, 7:46 PM
Okay, so I watched Mary and Max as per Alex's challenge and holy shit was it not what I was expecting. When I heard it was an animated film from Austrailia I guess I was expecting something lighthearted, but this was DARK. Without spoiling anything the gist is that a young girl and an older eccentric dude start exchanging letters by sheer chance and they help each other through life here and there with numerous awful fucking things happening to them. The movie had what I would have to say is a wonderfully beautiful bittersweet ending, but getting there was almost hard with how sad the characters were the whole time.

On the whole i'd have to call it a very good animated film, but fuck, man. Don't watch it with a gun close to hand.

virms
November 18th, 2010, 7:49 PM
The_Mike issued a challenge to me to watch Serenity which is a movie continuing the TV series Firefly.

Having seen neither I went in not really knowing what to expect. I actually didn't know if the movie came first or the tv series, but knew it was a Joss Whedon film so I figured it couldn't be all that bad. I also knew Summer Glau was in it :drool:

Much to my surprise there were a few actors in it that I really like (Nathan Fillion and Adam Baldwin) so I actually got quite excited for the movie as it began.

For me there was obvious Lucas/Spielberg influences as the movie had the sci-fi space feel and spaghetti western feel to it. Nathan Fillion's character was very much a Han Solo meets Indiana Jones kinda guy and even though he wasn't really a "good guy" he had me rooting for him right off the bat.

I would get into the plot but there is a shitload to explain. I mean a shitload. You have an entire population leaving a planet, getting into a new star system, two sides emerging and fighting over politics. Meanwhile, you have River (Summer Glau) whose flashbacks seem to weave in and out of reality to tell her story plus the entire crew of Serenity. Yeah...a lot and while I enjoyed the movie quite a bit I am not going to spend 30 minutes going into detail. I definitely see why it is a fanboy/girl flick as there is just so much info to digest it is ridiculous. Also, from what I read on wiki Joss cut down the screenplay quite a bit so he could have easily done a 3 hour movie or so.

All in all it was a very enjoyable flick. Not much negative to say about it unless I want to nitpick. I will say Fillion and Baldwin helped carry the movie quite a bit but I will also say I am very biased towards the two. I will definitely check out Firefly now and see how much more I get wrapped up into the series.

Great recommendation Mike :yes:

Who is ready for a challenge?

Cewsh
November 18th, 2010, 7:51 PM
I am, and I think Alf is too.

virms
November 18th, 2010, 8:06 PM
So it seems this is the list for right now (at least as far as I can tell from my last page)

Cewsh
GBF
Judas
Turdy
Virm

I am going to ponder this list and check thru my archives and see if there is something I want to directly challenge someone with. If someone challenges me before then...so be it.

Take initiative folks and lay down the challenge.

Deewun
November 18th, 2010, 8:08 PM
Simmo and I are finalizing a challenge.

Aussie_Outlaw
November 18th, 2010, 8:14 PM
I would get into the plot but there is a shitload to explain. I mean a shitload.

To be fair, a lot of the plots are easily picked up by people who have watched the television episodes, but I can completely see how it'd be a lot for someone who is using this as an entry point.

Miotch
November 18th, 2010, 9:15 PM
ALF and I are hashing something out.

virms
November 18th, 2010, 9:38 PM
I have challenged Cewsh and we are currently in the midst of figuring out our challenge.

I will most likely make him watch all 66 years of All My Children.

Cewsh
November 18th, 2010, 9:40 PM
I hope you like Bonanza. :yes:

Alf
November 19th, 2010, 6:13 AM
Miotch and I are balls deep in a challenge.

son_of_foley
November 19th, 2010, 6:20 AM
Me and Grim are thumping stuff out and then we'll probably do a challenge

Grimario
November 19th, 2010, 8:41 AM
I got your tunes while I was out tonight SOF watching Hairy Otter with the missus :yes:

son_of_foley
November 19th, 2010, 8:59 AM
Now i need to get this book somehow.

I worry that if I ordered 2nd hand wont get it for a week or get it done for a while. Need to find an e-copy

Miotch
November 19th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Alf has to go see 127 Hours and I have to read A Game of Thrones.

Cewsh
November 19th, 2010, 12:51 PM
I have to watch It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and he has to watch Sports Night.