PDA

View Full Version : The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret

Atty
October 18th, 2010, 2:16 PM
New show on IFC starring David Cross and Will Arnett. Fucking brilliant show.

The basic plot is an American pushover who's a compulsive liar gets sent overseas to England to sell an energy drink after being mistaken for a badass salesman. He randomly lies to his bosses and says his father is dead and from Leeds (both lies) and that he spent his summer there growing up (another lie.)

Anyway, I've decided that it's amazing. There's only been three episodes and I'm sure Bert will come along with links at some point. I get the feeling that our UK posters may end up loving this show.

Beer-Belly
October 18th, 2010, 2:32 PM
I torrented the pilot a while back when the show was just a one-off show for the UK. It's great stuff. I'm a huge David Cross fan. He's one of the best modern stand-up comics around.

I haven't seen the second and third episodes yet. I need to get on that.

Alf
October 18th, 2010, 5:10 PM
I love Cross and Arnett. I've got this on download.

Cheers lads.

BBF
October 18th, 2010, 5:43 PM
Just watched the first one, its pretty good.

Also, Sharon Horgan :yes: :yes:

Alf
October 18th, 2010, 6:32 PM
Neil from inbetweeners is in it!

Alf
October 18th, 2010, 6:43 PM
I will fuck the old out of you!

son_of_foley
October 19th, 2010, 3:30 AM
This is very good. Think it's got the better of running wilde tbh

Vice
October 19th, 2010, 6:32 AM
Just finished watching the third episode. I'm enjoying this show so far. Cross plays his part perfectly, and I fucking love his employee whatever his name is and all the shit he pulls. Just a good cast all around.

Atty
October 19th, 2010, 9:36 AM
I mentioned this in the Running Wilde thread when we talked about this show, but Cross's employee reminds me of Torn so much.

Cross is so great. He's never really got a lot of attention (mainstream-wise) despite always being great. One of my favorite comics around right now and I think he'll be one of those guys that a lot of people only really come to notice late in his career or when he's done.

eldanielfire
October 19th, 2010, 4:39 PM
I mentioned this in the Running Wilde thread when we talked about this show, but Cross's employee reminds me of Torn so much.

Cross is so great. He's never really got a lot of attention (mainstream-wise) despite always being great. One of my favorite comics around right now and I think he'll be one of those guys that a lot of people only really come to notice late in his career or when he's done.

To be fair I think he got a fair bit of attention from Arrested Developement.

Simon
October 19th, 2010, 5:02 PM
David Cross is pretty well known for a number of things. Arrested Development is the main one of course, but Mr. Show was a reasonable success in America wasn't it? He's a well-respected if not particularly well-known stand-up, too.

Dubya
October 19th, 2010, 5:13 PM
Downloading now. I'm looking forward to it. Cross and Arnett are great.

Tempest
October 19th, 2010, 5:39 PM
Hadn't heard of it until I saw Atty mention it in the Running Wilde thread. Just seen the first episode and I fucking love it. The conversations in the pub and the meltdown at the cafe were just brilliant.

Cross is just sensational as always. I heard Tovey was supposed to be his assistant, but Neil from the Inbetweeners seems to work really well, so i'm glad it worked out that way.

As for Cross' recognition. I see what Atty means. The guy has been in some pretty fantastic things, but rarely have they had the mainstream recognition they deserve. Arrested Development is for me one of the best comedy series' ever, but as far as i'm aware it was always more of a cult thing. In fact, it's sad to say that no-one I know really remembers him until I say he was in Scary Movie 2 :(

Atty
October 19th, 2010, 6:18 PM
Arrested Development was totally a cult hit. It got canceled because of it's consistently poor ratings and, while it's become more well known on dvd, it really doesn't have a "mainstream" following. It's one of my absolute favorite shows ever, but it isn't particularly well known and most of the mainstream recognition for it goes to Bateman, Cera or (maybe) Arnett, not Cross. Of the main cast members/characters, the nevernude may get the least attention.

Sadly, he seems to be much more famous for Scary Movie 2 than for his fantastic work elsewhere.

but Mr. Show was a reasonable success in America wasn't it?

It really wasn't.

Bill Casey
October 19th, 2010, 6:47 PM
Mr. Show is what they call a cult classic...
It has a small and loyal following among geeks of the genre...

Bert
October 7th, 2014, 7:45 PM
http://www.avclub.com/article/increasingly-poor-decisions-todd-margaret-will-ret-210192

IFC just announced that the show would return with six new episodes in 2015, and not with any kind of prequel fake-out, either: It will be “picking up where the second season left off when Todd detonates a battery of nuclear bombs that incinerate the planet.”

Unexpected doesn't do this news justice.

Atty
October 7th, 2014, 11:00 PM
Fuck yeah!

virms
October 8th, 2014, 3:48 AM
Definite good news.

Seanny One Ball
October 8th, 2014, 1:55 PM
There was a second series?!!

McBain
October 8th, 2014, 11:58 PM
I thought this show was a massive disappointment. Way too much on the cringe factor for my tastes, without the subtly/layers of a Partridge.