Atty
September 21st, 2010, 11:42 PM
Not at all surprised, really.

mth
September 21st, 2010, 11:44 PM
Shame, as it was a really good show.

S.H. Styles
September 22nd, 2010, 12:03 AM
You'd think it would be much higher considering Orton is the new champion....right?

Mark Hammer
September 22nd, 2010, 12:15 AM
Nobody in the outside world gives a flying shit about Randy Orton, he's not going to up ratings.

Deewun
September 22nd, 2010, 12:22 AM
Ha, this is exactly what I thought would happen after Night of Champions.

TapOut
September 22nd, 2010, 2:29 AM
Ouch.... that's pretty abysmal.

I didn't think it was a great show. Far from awful, but pretty much middle of the road. There's some stuff going on that I like, but an awful lot of crap as well. I'm really digging Wade Barret and one or two of the other NXT guys, Orton is stagnating for me a bit, but I still enjoy him. Miz and Daniel Bryan are pretty awesome right now...

The divas stuff is trash, they're trying with the tag teams but it's not working for me. Some of the lower-midcard stuff is garbage too. I wish they'd use guys like Goldust and Regal more, and maybe even Santino and Kozlov since the fans take to them. I know they're trying to make new guys, and with Sheamus and Wade Barret they're succeding, but I'd still like to see some of the vets and/or guys with some personality shine a bit more. If they're there and they're proven successful, use them.

Beer-Belly
September 22nd, 2010, 2:47 AM
I don't care about ratings. It's professional-not-as-good-college-football-but-people-still-like-it-anyway season. And IT IS IN PRIME-TIME, GUYS! In general, people like real sports over fake sports. It will always be that way.

The Nielsen ratings are bull-shit. That's pretty much a fact at this point.

I BET TRIPLE H WILL MAKE EVRYONE WATCH AGAIN! IT'S ALL ABOUT THE GAME AND BLUPPY BLUPPY! IT'S ALL ABOUT THE GAME AND YOU CAN'T BLUPPY!

takerson
September 22nd, 2010, 7:01 AM
Now TNA's 1.2's don't look so bad, eh? Compared to Smackdown's 1.7's and Raw's new low 2.8.... A 1.2 looks pretty damn good next to that.

OD50
September 22nd, 2010, 7:32 AM
I remember Dixie saying a while back that passing by Smackdown in the ratings was next on their agenda. They were/are already handily beating ECW, Superstars and nXt.

Beating Raw in the future was her ultimate goal though.

Smiddy
September 22nd, 2010, 9:24 AM
Wow, that was the first RAW I've watched in a while that I found interesting, but that's probably because I missed Night Of Champions and stuff actually happened at the pay-per-view.

I can't say WWE don't deserve that rating though. Their programming is so tired and repetitive; they've really brought it on themselves.

Matty C
September 22nd, 2010, 9:55 AM
Superman to the rescue. I wonder how long it will take the WWE to blame this on Cena not being the Champion.

Wrestling isn't high on the popularity listing right now, so I'm not shocked. I don't even think it's the quality of the show that's dragging them down. It really hasn't been too bad lately. It's just a general malaise with WWE's completely predictable product. I know that I’ve personally not felt the need to watch Raw lately and have contemplated tuning out for a while, despite the fact I can’t really complain about anything specific that they are doing. If a 20+ year fan of wrestling feels that way, I’m not surprised that others do to.

This was also premiere week in the US for the new fall season, which should be taken into account.

This makes having another PPV so quickly look even more ridiculous… :lol:

terencestamp7
September 22nd, 2010, 10:04 AM
Take the belt of Sheamus and ratings drop.

One Man Gang
September 22nd, 2010, 10:04 AM
Superman to the rescue. I wonder how long it will take the WWE to blame this on Cena not being the Champion.

Wrestling isn't high on the popularity listing right now, so I'm not shocked. I don't even think it's the quality of the show that's dragging them down. It really hasn't been too bad lately. It's just a general malaise with WWE's completely predictable product. I know that I’ve personally not felt the need to watch Raw lately and have contemplated tuning out for a while, despite the fact I can’t really complain about anything specific that they are doing. If a 20+ year fan of wrestling feels that way, I’m not surprised that others do to.

This was also premiere week in the US for the new fall season, which should be taken into account.

This is pretty much how I see it. Though I would add that WWE is currently in the process of building a host of new stars after losing some fairly popular mainstays. Its been a summer of transition and these things take time to adjust.

I am curious to know what Defrost thinks though given that he has consistently rated recent RAWs at 1 in the polls. Then of course he opens up an entire thread devoted to the low raw rating.

Mark Hammer
September 22nd, 2010, 10:11 AM
Matty C put it perfectly. I only ever watch anymore out of habit but even then I miss it all the time and don't even care that I do. Sometimes I'll have it on and it's just SOOOO boring and corny that I just can't stomach it.

I wish I could be into it again, I spent many years as a very loyal fan.

Defrost
September 22nd, 2010, 10:37 AM
I am curious to know what Defrost thinks though given that he has consistently rated recent RAWs at 1 in the polls.

I have? I only remember voting once recently and that was more of a reaction to people trying to justify just how badly the Nexus angle has been booked more than anything else.

One Man Gang
September 22nd, 2010, 11:03 AM
I have? I only remember voting once recently and that was more of a reaction to people trying to justify just how badly the Nexus angle has been booked more than anything else.

Raw Intermission and Raw Roulette you voted a 1 on both. Also, you never struck me as the sort of person who would rank things out of emotion or protest.

The_Mike
September 22nd, 2010, 11:08 AM
Sometimes I'll have it on and it's just SOOOO boring and corny that I just can't stomach it.

I haven't watched a full RAW in over a year, and over the summer I tried a couple of times but could genuinely only stand a minute or two of it. Boring and corny are pretty good words to describe it. And, while it's an easy charge to make, I do at least partially blame the show going PG. Not because I think we need blood and boobies (though the women are still treated as sex objects, just with less specific dialogue from the obnoxious announcers) to make a show enjoyable, but because I think the writers and the company at large seem to think that if you're making something suitable for children it should be written for idiots and idiots alone. Contrast this with the likes of Pixar, or George Lucas before he got a computer, who produced movies that were suitable for children while at the same time not being horrendously hokey and painful for adults.

Do I expect Toy Story or The Empire Strikes Back every week? Of course not, but I cannot watch something that has become a parody of the worst of itself. As I said, I don't watch RAW anymore other than a glimpse or two over the summer, and maybe I got unlucky with those segments and maybe the show is, overall, much better. But I can't even be bothered finding out, and I'm a big wrestling fan. I watch DVDs and matches on Youtube regularly. I watch Impact. I like wrestling, but I feel as though WWE has divorced itself from the thing, even if they're still living together. I've given up on Smackdown a week or two ago as well. It's probably not good for them that they wore me out so much I just don't feel like giving them another chance at the moment, and clearly their shows are not a priority to many other people if the new fall schedule creates this kind of crater in their ratings.

They are not only missing the urgency that made wrestling something that needed to be watched, I believe they are pushing people away with their hackneyed style that makes them embarrassed to be caught watching it and their unceasing demands for more and more of our time and money. Two PPVs in the space of a fortnight is outrageous, and their prices are ridiculous for two and a half hours of middling entertainment.

Well this turned into more of a rant than I meant it to, and some of it is likely harsh, but WWE have pushed my buttons lately. I'm not angry, really, just disappointed. It's like seeing an old friend turn into someone else. WWE are moving on into a form that I have no interest in, and I have to accept that, even if it is frustrating. Unfortunately for the company, it doesn't appear to be a positive move as of yet. It's not killing them, of course, but it's not helping.

OD50
September 22nd, 2010, 3:03 PM
WWE Superstars is the best WWE show for me. None of the poorly written and performed dialogue, lame attempts at humor, clueless guest hosts etc. Just plain, good old rasslin'.

terencestamp7
September 22nd, 2010, 3:03 PM
I've been a loyal fan for 20+ years. There's no way I'm ever going to stray away from the WWE. If WWE dies, I'm done with pro wrestling.

Badger
September 22nd, 2010, 3:11 PM
WWE Superstars is the best WWE show for me. None of the poorly written and performed dialogue, lame attempts at humor, clueless guest hosts etc. Just plain, good old rasslin'.

And Regal.

OD50
September 22nd, 2010, 3:12 PM
:hyper:

Regal and Goldust.

:heart:

Badger
September 22nd, 2010, 3:20 PM
They should trade places more often. In fact have a feud where whoever wins the next match they have to trade places until Regal wins a match, which could go on for up to a year or more.

UncannyIowan
September 22nd, 2010, 3:34 PM
Since when did we as fans care about ratings, especially during NFL season? You had the super bowl champs playing against the 49ers who have a giant fanbase as well.....Not surprising this wasn't the best night for Raw. 2 years? It wasn't a bad show, not as bad as most have been the last 4-5 months that's for sure. 2 years ago at this time though the product was really really good, Jericho/HBK that kind of stuff, so I wouldn't make too much of a big deal about this.

OD50
September 22nd, 2010, 5:23 PM
I remember during the MNW's I was almost more interested in the Raw/Nitro ratings than the actual shows.

RockOverBoston
September 22nd, 2010, 5:28 PM
Yeah, the Saints really have become this popular on a national level, plus absolutely no one was watching this in the Bay Area. A 2.8's pretty bad, but it's fairly easily explained away.

Where are the "Did You Know?"s about RAW beating MNF now, though?

Defrost
September 22nd, 2010, 5:42 PM
Raw Intermission and Raw Roulette you voted a 1 on both. Also, you never struck me as the sort of person who would rank things out of emotion or protest.

I was in a bad mood during that Raw Roulette with the Jets and Yankees playing like shit at the same time. The show did totally suck. Singing Dance offs, everyone looking like a goof in the main event, etc.

TapOut
September 22nd, 2010, 6:14 PM
Since when did we as fans care about ratings, especially during NFL season? You had the super bowl champs playing against the 49ers who have a giant fanbase as well.....Not surprising this wasn't the best night for Raw. 2 years? It wasn't a bad show, not as bad as most have been the last 4-5 months that's for sure. 2 years ago at this time though the product was really really good, Jericho/HBK that kind of stuff, so I wouldn't make too much of a big deal about this.

I cared a lot about ratings back in 1997 - 1999... it's not the same now, since TNA is WWE's closes competition, but Considering how much the numbers have dropped over the years, I'm conditioned to believing anything below a 3 is pretty bad. We are getting close to the ratings that WCW was getting when it was at its absolute most dire.

Cewsh
September 22nd, 2010, 6:19 PM
Now TNA's 1.2's don't look so bad, eh? Compared to Smackdown's 1.7's and Raw's new low 2.8.... A 1.2 looks pretty damn good next to that.

TNA has been the top wrestling company in the world for forever now. Better ratings than Smackdown!!!

JRSlim21
September 22nd, 2010, 8:18 PM
YouTube - Cactus Jack- Lost in Cleveland Part 1

YouTube - Cactus Jack- Lost in Cleveland Part 2

YouTube - FB 93- Review of Cactus/Vader Feud

Cactus Cewsh?

Cewsh
September 22nd, 2010, 8:58 PM
HahA that was a good feud for WCW

Showed that Mick Foley could act!

Tom B. Stone
September 23rd, 2010, 5:53 AM
TNA has been the top wrestling company in the world for forever now. Better ratings than Smackdown!!!

It's more difficult to compare broadcast ratings for SmackDown with cable ratings for Impact. Even so, SD is definitely beating Impact. With Raw getting a 2.8, SD probably only needs a 1.8 or 1.9 to be practically neck-and-neck.

OD50
September 23rd, 2010, 7:09 AM
Yeah, wasn't SD actually almost beating Raw for a while in the ratings a while back?

I cared a lot about ratings back in 1997 - 1999... it's not the same now, since TNA is WWE's closes competition, but Considering how much the numbers have dropped over the years, I'm conditioned to believing anything below a 3 is pretty bad. We are getting close to the ratings that WCW was getting when it was at its absolute most dire.

Yup, 2.8 would be a pretty standard rating for Nitro in 2000. Of course it would also have been a fairly good rating in 1997 when wrestling wasn't very hot but the product was very good.

In 2000 wrestling was hot but the WCW product was poor.
In 1997 wrestling wasn't hot but the WWF product was very good.
In 2010 wrestling isn't hot and the WWE product fairly poor.

The ratings between the three eras are still pretty comparable.

So where am I going with this? No idea actually.

:freak:

kangus
September 23rd, 2010, 7:10 AM
WHERE ARE YOU GOING WITH THIS?

Kure
September 23rd, 2010, 7:57 AM
Wrestling fans are going to watch wrestling, no matter how shitty it is. Is that the point?

When you think about it, it is pretty amazing. They went from edgy sex and violence to PG. It would be like you were watching The Shield for years then you turned it on one day and it was Power Rangers PD. It would never survive.

OD50
September 23rd, 2010, 8:12 AM
Problem is that there is a severe lack of options for wrestling fans. If a tv show for some reason doesn't tickle your fanny anymore you can just grab the remote and find 300 others instead. If you're not feeling the WWE product anymore there pretty much is only TNA being the alternative. I'm not even including ROH on HDNet because from what I understand only a grand total of 17 people actually get HDNet.

Unlike back in the NWA/WCW days I have a feeling most WWE fans hardly even knows about TNA's existence.

takerson
September 23rd, 2010, 8:26 AM
I get that feeling too. I really think that 85% of WWE's fanbase doesn't know about TNA.

The_Mike
September 23rd, 2010, 10:01 AM
When you think about it, it is pretty amazing. They went from edgy sex and violence to PG. It would be like you were watching The Shield for years then you turned it on one day and it was Power Rangers PD. It would never survive.

This really sums up a big part of what I was saying earlier very well. It is pretty jarring to see the product I like morph into what is in essence a very different product.

Problem is that there is a severe lack of options for wrestling fans. If a tv show for some reason doesn't tickle your fanny anymore you can just grab the remote and find 300 others instead. If you're not feeling the WWE product anymore there pretty much is only TNA being the alternative. I'm not even including ROH on HDNet because from what I understand only a grand total of 17 people actually get HDNet.

Unlike back in the NWA/WCW days I have a feeling most WWE fans hardly even knows about TNA's existence.

This is a good point as well. I agree that it sadly seems as though most WWE fans don't know TNA exists, and at this point the two are so markedly different I'm not sure a high portion of WWE fans would actually want to watch TNA (or be allowed to by their parents). I'm lucky that I can find other options, such as TNA, ROH and SHIMMER, plus there's always the net to scour for matches from all over the world. But I am pretty sure if I didn't have these avenues I'd still be watching WWE, still suffering through RAW, and still hoping to find the occasional nugget in the mire. Doing that was exhausting, and I'm done with it for now, but I fear that WWE's monopoly has a lot of people who want to watch wrestling feeling trapped.

I really wish WCW had survived in some manner. Even if it were still under McMahon's ultimate authority, if he had been able to cut it a little slack (not and let it maintain its distinction as a brand, we'd probably have a bit more spice in wrestling television. It had name recognition and history, people knew it was there and they knew that if RAW wasn't much fun at the minute they could tune in to Nitro. All the better if Bisch had got hold of the company and kept Nitro on the air, directly competing with RAW. That 'other option' that people know they have served as a check to the WWE's laziness and indulgences, I always felt. It didn't work every time, such as with the Billionaire Ted skits, but I doubt we would have had so much of the musical chairs and dance offs and pose downs and all the other embarrassing junk segments that have become the norm over the years since WCW died.

TNA, unfortunately, is barely a blip on the radar screen and does not appear to provide that kind of counterweight at all. They just do not have the presence of WCW in the consciousness of wrestling fans, so I don't see a lot of people saying "enough of this, I'm going to watch TNA instead" except disillusioned wrestling fanatics like me who took years and years to wear down, and already knew of TNA a long time ago.

WHERE ARE YOU GOING WITH THIS?

For some reason I read this in a Jack Bauer voice. I was scared.

terencestamp7
September 23rd, 2010, 10:04 AM
I think with the internet and such, 98% of wrestling fans know of TNA's existense. Some kid might be like "Mom, what happened to Mickie James" and the MILF will look it up and say oh wikipedia says she signed with TNA. "What's TNA?"

Mark Hammer
September 23rd, 2010, 10:06 AM
I have to agree with that actually. Most people outside of the wrestling world more-than-likely have no idea what TNA is but wrestling fans surely do.

Not counting young children here (which may have defeated my side of the argument as they are the bulk of modern-day wrestling fans).

xpacnumber1fan
September 23rd, 2010, 10:09 AM
TNA's 1.7 for the first hour in January proves people know about TNA.

The_Mike
September 23rd, 2010, 10:29 AM
Yeah you guys bring up a good point. I guess it wouldn't be right to say people don't know of TNA's existence, but they just don't seem to regard it as a true alternative. It hasn't permeated the collective consciousness of the wrestling world like a WCW or ECW managed to do.

Kure
September 23rd, 2010, 10:32 AM
It's important to remember that WCW only managed that for a short period of time, and you could argue that ECW didn't actually manage it until it was already dead and buried. WWE has always been wrestling in the mainstream, ever since they decided that territories were for the birds and national television was the only way to go.

One Man Gang
September 23rd, 2010, 10:54 AM
Yeah you guys bring up a good point. I guess it wouldn't be right to say people don't know of TNA's existence, but they just don't seem to regard it as a true alternative. It hasn't permeated the collective consciousness of the wrestling world like a WCW or ECW managed to do.

It probably is a combination of factors including the variety of other alternatives to WWE during the age of communication, personal tastes, as well as the now unquestionable reputation WWE has for ultimately defeating its competition. Almost makes one throw up there hands and say "why bother with TNA if in the end they're going to go under."

Mazer
September 24th, 2010, 4:48 PM

With Raw anymore, I'm not worried about missing a week. Years ago, there was much more of a sense of "If I skip this week I might miss an interesting plot twist, turn or swerve". Now obviously, the out of nowhere turns got taken to an extreme for a while. But used within reason a sudden change of direction, can provide motivation to regularly tune in. Trying to think back, the only times I've been genuinely very caught off-guard by something was the first Nexus appearance and last week o NXT when Kaitlyn showed she has a better spear than Edge.

The other factor to keep in mind is a general trend in ratings declining. It takes less viewership to be considered a "Hit show" than it did ten or more years ago.

If you take the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air's viewership from when it was about the 20th most popular show, and move it today's market, you have a top 5 show. So, we may not see the numbers from the Attitude era again.

ANT
September 28th, 2010, 9:34 PM
So how much did it drop again this week?

Hero!
September 28th, 2010, 9:37 PM
It would be like you were watching The Shield for years then you turned it on one day and it was Power Rangers PD.

I have never watched The Shield, but i'd gladly tune in if it became Power Rangers PD.

Atty
September 28th, 2010, 9:39 PM
A show about Power Rangers that are cops may be your dream come true.

Hero!
September 28th, 2010, 9:40 PM
http://www.alexandgregory.com/images/power_rangers_spd.jpg

BOOM CHICKA LICKA

Mark Hammer
September 28th, 2010, 9:44 PM
I'm really not trying to be a negative nancy here but I have to be honest. I tried watching Raw this week, after about 10 minutes of it I had to change the channel because it was so over-the-top corny I couldn't stomach anymore (the Cena/Edge/Fucking Laptop ffs segment in case anyone's wondering). And I had been a dedicated WWF/E fan since 95.

Really does get me down a bit thinking about it.

Hero!
September 28th, 2010, 9:49 PM
If it makes you feel any better I skipped out on RAW to do homework. There was a point in my life where nothing came before RAW and now it's come to this...

Mark Hammer
September 28th, 2010, 9:51 PM
Yep. Definitely HATED anytime I'd be forced to miss an episode back in the day. Now I'd hate to be forced to watch it.

mth
September 28th, 2010, 9:52 PM
That segment was pretty good comedy, Hammer.

Mark Hammer
September 28th, 2010, 9:55 PM
Different strokes. I wish there could have been a happy medium with their new direction.

mth
September 28th, 2010, 9:57 PM
On the plus side:
if the computer is now destroyed, we could have the mystery GM revealed sooner than later and the silliness and dragged-out-edness of the angle will be over before too long.

S.H. Styles
September 28th, 2010, 10:07 PM
So how much did it drop again this week?

2.37 this week :shocked:

Atty
September 28th, 2010, 10:07 PM
I'd wager Vince can afford a new computer.

One Man Gang
September 28th, 2010, 10:12 PM
2.37 this week :shocked:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dddAi8FF3F4

Atty
September 28th, 2010, 10:14 PM
I think it's clear that the reason for the sagging ratings is Jericho taking a break.

airborne
September 28th, 2010, 10:24 PM
Hopefully they'll rely on Smackdown a bit more. It seems likely that the third brand idea isn't going to work.

Is it time to unify the RAW/Smackdown brands again?

It's amazing what difference a little over a year makes - We had DX, ECW/Raw/SD championships on PPVs, etc.

Now with Jericho taking a break, SM retired, HHH out for a while, Matt Hardy gone (?), Batista gone what will they do?

One Man Gang
September 28th, 2010, 10:26 PM
f4wonline has the rating at 2.7 instead of 2.37. I'm more inclined to believe the 2.7. The Bears vs the Packers and the fact that RAW was taped took a toll but not that massive of a toll.

airborne
September 28th, 2010, 10:30 PM
f4wonline has the rating at 2.7 instead of 2.37. I'm more inclined to believe the 2.7. The Bears vs the Packers and the fact that RAW was taped took a toll but not that massive of a toll.

TVByTheNumbers seems to back the original:

WWE Raw (9pm)
- 3.724 million viewers
- 2.3/3 HH
- 1.4/3 A18-49

WWE Raw (10pm, 67 minutes)
- 3.879 million viewers
- 2.4/4 HH
- 1.4/4 A18-49

link (http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/09/28/monday-cable-ratings-packer-bears-go-large-wwe-raw-weeds-the-big-c-buried-life-much-more/65683)

One Man Gang
September 28th, 2010, 10:33 PM
Well then

airborne
September 28th, 2010, 10:44 PM
After reading up on it the game on Monday did incredible numbers, and since wrestling obviously shares a demographic perhaps the drop isn't as bad as it seems. Still not good, but you can't base ratings numbers on an aberration

TheSupremeForce
September 28th, 2010, 10:52 PM
Raw still seems to have drawn twice the viewership as anything else on cable last night.
The rating was bad, but the football game was great AND Raw was prerecorded. Everything added up to a poor rating. Unless the rating drops again next week (which I don't imagine it will), this is a small issue.

Defrost
September 28th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Looking ahead at the MNF schedule

Week 4 - Patriots at Dolphins
Week 5 - Vikings at Jets
Week 7 - Giants at Cowboys
Week 9 - Steelers at Bengals
Week 10 - Eagles at Redskins
Week 13 - Jets at Patriots
Week 15 - Bears at Vikings

Raw is so fucked these weeks

airborne
September 28th, 2010, 11:12 PM
Raw still seems to have drawn twice the viewership as anything else on cable last night.
The rating was bad, but the football game was great AND Raw was prerecorded. Everything added up to a poor rating. Unless the rating drops again next week (which I don't imagine it will), this is a small issue.

Record football weeks and tapings aside, the worst ratings in more than a decade will have some sort of effect, even if it is only symbolic.

TheSupremeForce
September 28th, 2010, 11:18 PM
I would imagine that it led to Vince throwing things and swearing a lot. It might even lead to him doing something drastic and quite possibly stupid. So, you're correct. I shouldn't have called it a small issue. I should have said that it really should have been a small issue, but that doesn't mean that it will be.

Maybe it will lead to something actually surprising happening.
I'm talking Cena joins Nexus and screws Orton out of the Title surprising.

Joe_lauria
September 28th, 2010, 11:27 PM
Is anyone sure Vince even knows or cares that much? It seems like to me he and Linda only care about the political scene and her winning the senate spot in Connecticut. I dont know how many of you remember, I started watching wrestling in 1991.. Vince and the WWF seemed to be focussed on covering their asses about steroids, the WBF, and just staying alive from 1992-1995. I think the distractions hurt the company and product. It seems to be repeating itself again and this time, more stale..

I hope that the WWE realizes its booking is terrible, doesnt try to do any hot shot angles, (like mcmahons $ giveaway, fake death, guest hosts) and finally realize this method currently is not working

The Rosk
September 29th, 2010, 4:26 AM
The fake death could have been great if it wasn't for Benoit dying.

Tom B. Stone
September 29th, 2010, 4:50 AM
I'm assuming it was a 2.73 but has been reported as a 2.37, but fair enough that tvbythenumbers seems to back the lower number.

People can claim a lot of things about Vince McMahon, but to suggest he doesn't care anyone is just total bullshit. He lives to be WWE Chairman, to maintain his power, to make more money, etc. Of course he wants higher Raw ratings. Just because he seems to have lost touch with what wrestling fans want to see doesn't mean he has stopped caring.

Defrost
September 29th, 2010, 4:52 AM
This is what Bryan Alverez said about the 2.7 vs 2.37 argument

The show did a 2.7.

Wade is looking at the household rating, which is different from the cable rating. Last week's Raw household rating was a 2.4 for the first hour and a 2.4 for the second hour. But the cable rating, which is the number everyone normally uses every week, was a 2.77 for the first hour and a 2.82 for the second hour. We'll have the exact cable ratings for this week's show tomorrow.

airborne
September 29th, 2010, 6:05 AM
This is what Bryan Alverez said about the 2.7 vs 2.37 argument

This is true, after looking at the TVByTheNumbers this week compared to last week (in general the viewers only slightly dropped). Funny how many wrestling news website front pages it made

Smiddy
September 29th, 2010, 7:12 AM
It's not that funny really. It's totally normal for online pro-wrestling press to report the bleakest spin on just about everything they get word of.

Matty C
September 29th, 2010, 9:54 AM
That segment was pretty good comedy, Hammer.

I didn't think so. I agree with Hammer completely.

On the plus side:
if the computer is now destroyed, we could have the mystery GM revealed sooner than later and the silliness and dragged-out-edness of the angle will be over before too long.

The WWE can afford a new computer. The computer wasn't the GM, it's just a conduit for the GM. If they actually play it out as the computer being wrecked cutting the GMs tie to Raw, I'm done.

One Man Gang
September 29th, 2010, 9:55 AM
Considering they got rid of Fake Kane by literally shoving him out of the arena exit into the parking lot, I wouldn't be surprised if they are done with the GM.

Kure
September 29th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Now with Jericho taking a break, SM retired, HHH out for a while, Matt Hardy gone (?), Batista gone what will they do?

Trips will come back and start DX2010 with Hornswoggle playing the part of Shawn Michaels.

BIGFEETS
September 29th, 2010, 2:39 PM
The solution: the return of the Kiss My Ass club.

Hmm, wait, WWE is now PG.

Kiss My Doody Hole club?

Kiss My Booty Club?

Mark Hammer
September 29th, 2010, 2:40 PM
Kiss My Doody Hole club would get me back into WWE.

Kure
September 29th, 2010, 2:56 PM
Kiss my bum bum?

Mark Hammer
September 29th, 2010, 3:09 PM
Kiss My Bottom club.

Kure
September 29th, 2010, 3:25 PM
They could bring back Diva pillow fights, but instead of lingerie they wear flannel pajamas with feet.

Hero!
September 29th, 2010, 3:30 PM
I'm excited.

BIGFEETS
September 29th, 2010, 3:35 PM
When ratings are down, you bring in the heavy hitters.

Pee-wee Herman will be hosting Raw on November 1.

:yesyes:

One Man Gang
September 29th, 2010, 3:39 PM
So long as we get a "tell'em large Marge sent ya" joke, I'm cool with that.

Beer-Belly
September 29th, 2010, 6:22 PM
When ratings are down, you bring in the heavy hitters.

Pee-wee Herman will be hosting Raw on November 1.

:yesyes:

Kenny Powers will be hosting soon. They'll get at least a 7.0 that week.

Mark Hammer
September 29th, 2010, 7:19 PM
When will Barney the Dinosaur be hosting?

One Man Gang
September 29th, 2010, 7:22 PM
Just after a real T-Rex does.

Beer-Belly
September 29th, 2010, 7:25 PM
Reverting to TV-14 won't magically make the shows great.

Mark Hammer
September 29th, 2010, 7:29 PM
I agree with that. But TV-PG (at least the shit they're feeding us currently) will never succeed.

Kure
September 29th, 2010, 7:52 PM
Elmo needs to host, and the set can be drawn with crayons like on Elmo's World.

YouTube - Elmo s World TV Opening Theme

Elmo loves his goldfish, and John Cena, too.

Beer-Belly
September 29th, 2010, 7:56 PM
I agree with that. But TV-PG (at least the shit they're feeding us currently) will never succeed.

If they cut out the "comedy", the shows would be much better. I'd rather watch today's product than the painful days of H.L.A.

mth
September 29th, 2010, 8:22 PM
Amen to that second sentence. And I don't want them to cut out the comedy, 'cuz a good amount of it is hilarious.

TapOut
September 29th, 2010, 8:22 PM
There are nights where the comedy to me is the only redeeming thing. Not as much now, but a couple years ago there were nights where the random laugh here or there were the only highlights.

Things are getting a bit better on the action side of things now, but I feel like most of the storylines are super generic and safe. Miz vs. DB is proof that you don't necessarily need risque storylines or anything outlandish: just good characters/wrestlers with a decent story going on.

Beer-Belly
September 29th, 2010, 8:42 PM
I can't stand the comedy. Santino is a good character, but almost everything else is shit. My balls hurt when the laptop started making lame jokes. I don't know why they think the fans will side with a computer over someone like Edge.

I watch RAW for Randy, Bryan, Miz, Sheamus, Edge, Jericho, and a few others.

They should go back to TV-14, but they should acknowledge that the show won't always be a cocktail of blood and titties.

Turning Cena heel would spring up some interest.

Mazer
September 29th, 2010, 9:45 PM
It seems like WWE has decided that they are going to move in cycles. I wonder if they feel that they need to have a "youth-friendly" product until they build up a base of younger fans, and then transition into a more envelope-pushing style when their younger fan base ages.

Beer-Belly
September 29th, 2010, 10:39 PM
It seems like WWE has decided that they are going to move in cycles. I wonder if they feel that they need to have a "youth-friendly" product until they build up a base of younger fans, and then transition into a more envelope-pushing style when their younger fan base ages.

That was the plan.

The Guy on the Couch
September 30th, 2010, 2:45 AM
in my opinion Raw is only lacking one thing. A good old fashioned blood feud for the title. The last time I remember a title feud on raw that was based on hate instead of ME WANT TITLE MATCH was trips vs orton and the pay off for that was not even close to what it should have been. When there is a true blood feud the opponents should not make grand entrances they should run to the ring and start kicking ass.

Miz and bryan have a good one going but the wwe championship needs to be fought over in this manner.

OD50
September 30th, 2010, 1:31 PM
Problem with a good ol' fashioned blood feud is that the ref would put on some rubber gloves and wipe it away before it even got started...

;)

kangus
September 30th, 2010, 2:16 PM
Yeah OhDeefitty, WE DON'T WANT KIDS KNOWNING PEOPLE HAVE BLOOD INSIDE THEM. That could be dangerous.

Defrost
September 30th, 2010, 2:44 PM
Summerslam bombed

Breakdown of the last 5 Summerslams. Last year's Summerslam buyrate was considered a disappointment. Didn't hit that mark this year.

Summerslam 2006: 529 buys (61% Domestic - 11/1/07 8-K form) = 322k domestic
Summerslam 2007: 537 buys (66% Domestic - 11/1/07 8-K form) = 354k domestic
Summerslam 2008: 477k buys ($39.95) @ 66% domestic = 315k domestic ($12.6MM domestic PPV revenue split)
Summerslam 2009: 369k buys ($39.95) @ 63% domestic = 232k domestic ($9.3MM domestic PPV revenue split)
Summerslam 2010: 350k buys ($44.95) @ 56% domestic = 196k domestic ($8.8MM domestic PPV revenue split)

Cewsh
September 30th, 2010, 2:44 PM
Why would showing kids their heroes covered in blood be a good thing?

Defrost
September 30th, 2010, 2:47 PM
This notion of kids watching is odd considering the average age of a Raw viewer is pushing 40 and the Attitude Era had way more kids watching.

Maybe if Nexus got color on guys Summerslam wouldn't have bombed.

The_Mike
September 30th, 2010, 2:53 PM
Why would showing kids their heroes covered in blood be a good thing?

So they know that when you hit someone with a chair or punch them in the face, they won't just shrug it off and give you the Attitude Adjuster.

It's not a huge deal, but it's a pet peeve of mine (and apparently kangus shares it) when people try to shield children from the consequences of violence in order to somehow protect them from the violence they're still going to see. It's like computer games having blood removed to make things more child friendly even though they children still see a teenage girl skewered with a sword. Or thinking letting them watch Tom and Jerry is ok because when Jerry smashes Tom on the head with a sledgehammer it just makes a little bump and then he's fine in the next scene... but a little blood in a wrestling match is the worst thing since Katy Perry's cleavage.

RockOverBoston
September 30th, 2010, 3:07 PM
I can't stand the comedy. Santino is a good character, but almost everything else is shit. My balls hurt when the laptop started making lame jokes. I don't know why they think the fans will side with a computer over someone like Edge.

And that's the even more maddening thing -- the computer has been a heel for the most part, but Edge is as well. Who exactly are people supposed to be supporting here? Anyone? Anyone have an answer here? The unfunny computer...or the, uh, sympathetic heel?

That was fairly obviously one of the worst segments on RAW in recent memory, which is a mouthful, as there have been some painfully bad segments on RAW in recent memory.

Turning Cena heel would spring up some interest.It certainly couldn't hurt anything overall, but as Defrost's earlier list points out, RAW stands to get absolutely clobbered by MNF fairly frequently in the coming weeks regardless of the content of the show, so is this really the right time?

Badger
September 30th, 2010, 3:21 PM
Superstars the RASSLIN show still has some great comedy.

Kure
September 30th, 2010, 3:34 PM
That was the plan.

It worked for them from the 80's into the Attitude era. Sometimes I feel like they are trying to catch lightning in a bottle by reproducing the circumstances that led to the boom. It's not going to happen.

xpacnumber1fan
September 30th, 2010, 4:15 PM
WWE marketing itself to kids is retarded. What good does TV PG do them? It can attract more ad revenue, which is a good thing. Other than that, I don't know.

I have no idea how WWE expects to market itself to kids and be successful. This is a business that's portrayed as real people fighting each other to resolve problems, sometimes with the use of weapons. That's just the very nature of pro wrestling, no matter what else you do. You can have all the magical leprechauns running around you want. There are other shows that have violence that are marketed to kids of course (all action cartoons, even ones like Tom and Jerry, MMPR). But those are just shows that make money off of ads and toys.

Kids aren't buying PPVs. Kids aren't buying tickets to go see shows. WWE expects parents to do that just for the kids? In this economy? Yea it might work for arena shows but no parent in their right mind is going to buy something for 45 bucks on PPV they don't want to watch just for their kids, and DEFINITELY not 14 times a year, especially when they know that the kids can just find out the result the next night. All WWE are doing with this dumb crap they show on TV is insulting their key money spending demographic.

I said something about Hornswoggle crap on Smackdown and mth said it's just harmless comedy for kids. Which is all fine and dandy except for the fact that you are just causing the majority of your adult viewers to roll their eyes and change the channel. WWE might be marketing itself to kids now but, maybe its just me, I don't notice some huge amount of kids watching the show, at least not more than there were during the Attitude Era. It's not like there aren't ways to do comedy that are kid friendy and doesn't flat out insult the majority of your audience. Santino and 2009 DX are a good example of that.

You can't sell a PPV on two guys that hate each other fighting inside of a structure called Hell in a Cell as fine for kids to most concerned parents. Do they really think that any parent that is not ok with blood and violence would let their kid watch that? Do they think that they can sell to a parent that there is a TV PG version of a Hell in a Cell match? Their not. And when they do all that cleaning up, all their doing is causing the people that have the money to buy that PPV not get as emotionally invested in seeing the pay off.

TV PG by far isn't the only reason WWE is in crapper in ratings and PPV buys. TV PG isn't the reason they have crap writers and isn't the reason they insist on pushing the same guys at the top for years at a time. I think that McMahon and the WWE have deluded themselves so much into thinking that they are not a RASSLIN company, that they forgot that the people watching their shows are wrestling fans. A Senate campaign should not affect what I watch on TV. A toy company should not decide who gets hired and fired. I don't think they should be distracting themselves so much on making crap C grade movies that they lose focus on their main vehicle of revenue.

But this TV PG nonsense is just putting an additional strain on the company. I don't want to see tranvestites. I don't want to see cock jokes. I don't want to see necrophilia and I don't want to see Randy Orton painting his face and walking around with a machete threatening to kill John Cena (although I wouldn't mind it in real life). I don't want to see CZW style ultra violence garbage wrestling. But I also don't want to see matches in heated feuds being stopped because a guy is busted open. I don't want to see magical leprechauns. I like seeing blood when used in a proper conext. I like hearing the Rock call people candy asses and seeing Stone Cold drink beer. I don't want to see a Dora the Explorer version of a cage match.

And I can't imagine most 20 years olds would think differently.

xpacnumber1fan
September 30th, 2010, 4:20 PM
It worked for them from the 80's into the Attitude era. Sometimes I feel like they are trying to catch lightning in a bottle by reproducing the circumstances that led to the boom. It's not going to happen.

The 80's were a much different time. TV as a whole was a lot cleaner. There was no Jerry Springer and there wasn't any Jersey Shore where all you have is people named Snooki and The Situation talking about grenades and smashing.

ANT
September 30th, 2010, 4:20 PM
I like hearing the Rock call people candy asses and seeing Stone Cold drink beer.

Looking back, this all seems kinda juvenile as well.

The_Mike
September 30th, 2010, 4:30 PM
Looking back, this all seems kinda juvenile as well.

I mostly disagree. Austin drinking beer seemed fine - he was a tough redneck rough-houser who liked to drink. That's a fair enough character trait and it's beer, so it's not as if it is particularly childish for a guy to drink a beer after a match and flaunt his rebellious attitude. The beer bashes in later years got old and tired very quickly but he was retired and by then WWE was already transitioning into making everything as safe and familiar and standard as possible.

The Rock's comments about candy asses, yeah, that's kind of silly, but I much preferred The Rock being able to express himself freely and say 'grown up words' like ass without it being a big deal. When someone drives a car at a wrestler's head and that wrestler wants to "kick their butt" in response, it kills any possible emotion in the story. A brash, arrogant young man saying "I'll whip your candy ass" with the intensity someone like The Rock could muster is a big improvement over "I'll kick your butt" and the other weaksauce retorts WWE have ended up with.

ANT
September 30th, 2010, 4:38 PM
Its all perspective for me, really. Maybe its because I was 11/12/13 or so during the attitude era, but most of that stuff was 'cool' because at that age you're not allowed to drink beer or say certain words.

Other than Austin, I can't see how 'adults' actually thought that stuff was really cool, at least looking back on it now being in my 20s.

Defrost
September 30th, 2010, 4:39 PM
Are you serious?

OD50
September 30th, 2010, 4:44 PM
I was quite a bit past the 20 mark during the Attitude Era. As far as I remember I enjoyed it a lot.

xpacnumber1fan
September 30th, 2010, 4:45 PM
I don't know what type of 20 year old you are but I think its a safe assumption most of them talk like that. A teen nowadays isn't speaking like Theo Huxtable, more like their favorite emo rock band. Sure, stuff the Disney channel peddles still gets massive ratings with tween girls, but it wouldn't surprise me if right after finishing High School Musical they turn on Keeping Up With The Kardashians.

ANT
September 30th, 2010, 4:50 PM
I just think things like "candy ass" or "suck it" definitely lose their luster after you hit like 18 or so. Even earlier, really.

I mean, its like a halfway point. Its almost a childish way of being vulgar, you know. Like you're just learning bad words or something.

Or maybe I've just heard so much worse that those types of things sound pretty stupid in comparison.

Vice
September 30th, 2010, 4:51 PM
I respect you.

Defrost
September 30th, 2010, 4:54 PM
How bad is Bragging Rights going to do? Wrestlemania underperformed with a strong build. Summerslam outright bombed with the Nexus deal.

Last year Bragging Rights was an utter disaster and this year it is coming the day after Brock vs Cain and on the same night as Vikings vs Packers. Could this be closer to 50,000 Domestic Buys than 100,000?

xpacnumber1fan
September 30th, 2010, 4:56 PM
I mostly disagree. Austin drinking beer seemed fine - he was a tough redneck rough-houser who liked to drink. That's a fair enough character trait and it's beer, so it's not as if it is particularly childish for a guy to drink a beer after a match and flaunt his rebellious attitude. The beer bashes in later years got old and tired very quickly but he was retired and by then WWE was already transitioning into making everything as safe and familiar and standard as possible.

The Rock's comments about candy asses, yeah, that's kind of silly, but I much preferred The Rock being able to express himself freely and say 'grown up words' like ass without it being a big deal. When someone drives a car at a wrestler's head and that wrestler wants to "kick their butt" in response, it kills any possible emotion in the story. A brash, arrogant young man saying "I'll whip your candy ass" with the intensity someone like The Rock could muster is a big improvement over "I'll kick your butt" and the other weaksauce retorts WWE have ended up with.

I can't think of a single person that would be gearing up to fight somebody they dislike that would speak to them the way John Cena does. Obviously what most people DO say isn't fit for WWE TV, even during thee Attitude Era, but what was said back then sounds a heck of a lot closer to what they're saying now, in 2010 of all times.

mth
September 30th, 2010, 4:59 PM
I just think things like "candy ass" or "suck it" definitely lose their luster after you hit like 18 or so. Even earlier, really.

I mean, its like a halfway point. Its almost a childish way of being vulgar, you know. Like you're just learning bad words or something.

Or maybe I've just heard so much worse that those types of things sound pretty stupid in comparison.

:yes: Yeah, I've gone back and watched some DX skits and stuff for the Attitude Era and thought they were terrible. Some of Rock's promos, as well as he did them, had some really stupid/childish things in them that really aren't any better than some of the bad Cena promos now days.

Personally, I just want better writing/booking, otherwise, I would be more than happy if WWE stayed TV-PG indefinitely. I don't even miss blood.

xpacnumber1fan
I am saying it now. It will be the worst selling PPV of all times. And BFG will get 3,000 buys.

ANT
Do you like pie, mth?

Defrost
September 30th, 2010, 5:00 PM
I have no idea what world mth and ANT are living in.

Rock, DX, and Austin were so infinitely beyond what we are getting now I have no comprehension on how to describe it.

OD50
September 30th, 2010, 5:04 PM
One thing I remember hating during the MNW's were the DX/nWo pre-match spiels. The one I hated the most was the one the New Age Otlaws did; "Ladies and gentlemen, children of all ages..."

Konnan: ''Toss the salad jabroni blahblah..."
Scott Steiner: ''Big Poppa Pump is your hook up...''
Rick Steiner: "If you don't like me, BITE ME!"

Ugh.

I do like when wrestlers use words like ''ass'', ''bitch'' and similar. Not because it's cool but just a more normal way of talking when you have issues with someone. Like Mike said, if you hate somebody that have beat up your dad, tried to run you over and stolen your girl would anyone say "Darn it you bozo, now I'm going to kick your bootie"?

Defrost
September 30th, 2010, 5:04 PM
I am saying it now. It will be the worst selling PPV of all times. And BFG will get 3,000 buys.

You may be giving TNA too much credit there.

WWE needs 70,000 overall buys more or less to break even. I doubt this gets dangerously close to that, but the direction things are going...

mth
September 30th, 2010, 5:14 PM
Do you like pie, mth?

I actually got in trouble for saying 'poontag pie' at the dinner table back then, ha. I had no idea that it was a common slang term, so my brother was going on a date and I asked if he was going to get a slice of poongtang pie and got yelled at. THANKS A LOT ATTITUDE ERA ROCK.

Seriously, though, that song about pie he did on one of the music albums, holy crap, that was awful.

And Frosty, DX 2009 > any other incarnation in any other time frame.

Also, I'm not denying Austin/Rock were awesome for a lot of reasons, but that doesn't mean they didn't cut some silly promos or do some childish things. "Rooty-poo candy-ass" is a pretty stupid insult, and if Rock hadn't said it, and Cena did, he'd get crapped all over.

Defrost
September 30th, 2010, 5:16 PM
Dwayne Johnson made shit work that Cena can't because of the insane chasm of talent between the two of them.

And you leave me speechless giving any praise whatsoever to the bastardized versions of DX of the last 5 years.

mth
September 30th, 2010, 5:19 PM
Rock's superior charisma doesn't make the content any less stupid.

And I stand by my DX statement. Attitude Era DX was awful. 2006 DX was REALLY awful.

Defrost
September 30th, 2010, 5:21 PM
Cena's material is a lot worse too.

OD50
September 30th, 2010, 5:22 PM
YouTube - DX one night only funny segment part 2

YouTube - Funny Moment of John Cena, DX and Hornswoggle

:freak:

ANT
September 30th, 2010, 5:27 PM
Old, senile Shawn Michaels was golden. Loved the hornswoggle stuff too during the DX/Cena "feud". Much better than that one Summerslam poster where "HHH cooks a big sausage, HBK cooks a little one".

mth
September 30th, 2010, 5:37 PM
DX probably made the best use of Hornswoggle since he was just a rabid weapon for Finlay.

Hero!
September 30th, 2010, 5:42 PM
"Darn it you bozo, now I'm going to kick your bootie"?

Hey you rude man, I speak like that! Continue to mock my manner of speaking and I will be forced to take action and beat you up!

Defrost
September 30th, 2010, 5:42 PM
The only time the midget was entertaining was the buildup to WM 24 when JBL kept almost beating it to death.

xpacnumber1fan
September 30th, 2010, 6:20 PM
You may be giving TNA too much credit there.

WWE needs 70,000 overall buys more or less to break even. I doubt this gets dangerously close to that, but the direction things are going...

If December to Dismember did 90 something thousand buys, I think this can dip under that number. Not when there were two WWE PPVs the month before, there was a UFC event a month before, there is a Lesnar fight the night before, and Survivor Series is less than a month away.

And for TNA, I figure there are at least 3,000 rabid TNA supporters out there, even if some of it is just the families and friends of the employees or something.

Rock's superior charisma doesn't make the content any less stupid.

In a sense it does. Anything can be stupid if not delivered correctly, and on the other end, almost any material can be awesome if the person doing it knows how to work it. And I don't think there is really any sort of sophisticated comedy. Rock can do things like...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3ie5i_the-rock-can-talk-in-different-lang_fun

...and not sound stupid to most people because he makes it funny. Any comedy can be stupid in the eyes of any particular person.

The difference between the Rock and Cena is that there is a difference between childish and geared for kids. Most 18-34 year old males will find funny things that can be considered childish. Most won't find funny things that are geared for kids.

And the thing is, even things are geared for kids can be funny to adults. Things like Finding Nemo and Shrek did big business because even though they were kid friendly, the humor was mature enough to be found entertaining by adults as well.

I don't call crap like Hornswoggle unfunny because he's made for kids, it's because it's not funny. When Finlay and DX were using him I liked it because they used him in a way that didn't insult the fans intelligence. DX's gimmick were that they were adult guys that liked to have fun and act goofy, which is not something that's unbelievable at all. WWE, as much as it would like to think so, is not a comedy show or a drama. It has elements of it, but it has to be portrayed in a realistic way, or at least in a manner that when it's goofing around you know that it's guys goofing around. Stuff like R Truth getting blown up by MacGruber might have not been my cup of tea, but it was fine because it was portrayed as having fun. But when you have him walking through walls and trying to teach him to talk like he is 5 when he has a beard that rivals Mike Knox', it's retarded.

TheSupremeForce
September 30th, 2010, 6:28 PM
I've found Hornswoggle mostly watchable since he was sent to Smackdown. He interacts well with Teddy Long and hanging out with the Dudebusters is hopefully a sign that they're turning face. Heel Dudebusters never made any sense anyway.

I vastly prefer Comedy Edge to whatever it was he was doing prior. His work over the last couple of months has won me over. If they'd booked him like that since his return, he could have stayed on Smackdown as the top face.

Anaconda Sniper
September 30th, 2010, 7:36 PM
The only time the midget was entertaining was the buildup to WM 24 when JBL kept almost beating it to death.
:yes:

Beer-Belly
October 1st, 2010, 12:24 AM
Danny McBride is no longer hosting RAW. Let the ratings continue to decline. You don't cancel Kenny FUCKING Powers without devastating repercussions.

Cewsh
October 1st, 2010, 1:35 AM
TV PG isn't the reason they have crap writers and isn't the reason they insist on pushing the same guys at the top for years at a time.

?

Wouldn't it be fair to say that they have more new main eventers and upper midcarders than at any time in recent memory?

Vice
October 1st, 2010, 1:53 AM
Danny McBride is no longer hosting RAW. Let the ratings continue to decline. You don't cancel Kenny FUCKING Powers without devastating repercussions.

Having just gotten into Eastbound & Down for the lovely little show that it is, I'm sad to hear this news.

The Guy on the Couch
October 1st, 2010, 3:36 AM
70,000 to break even?

I have always wondered about that. Like after all is said in done how much it would take for them to actually lose money. If that answer is 70,000 they should be safe for a long time yet.

I really hope they don't give up on things because ratings aren't great. That is what wcw starting doing towards the end and that hurt them worse. I mean a few minor tweaks are fine, but scrapping shit left and right will do little more than piss the people that are already watching off.

RockOverBoston
October 1st, 2010, 3:46 AM
You don't cancel Kenny FUCKING Powers without devastating repercussions.

A-fucking-men.

"People have asked me whether or not I'm a xenophobe. My answer to that is no. It's just that America is the best country in the fucking world, and every other country can suck my fucking dick."

Seriously, though, McBride would have been appearing to promote "Eastbound And Down" (amongst other things), and there's simply no way to TV-PG Kenny FUCKING Powers up. Or even TV-14 that up, for that matter. (Censors - YOU'RE FUCKING OUT!) Frankly, young kids shouldn't be watching that show whatsoever. Everyone else should, sure. Not young kids.

Beer-Belly
October 1st, 2010, 4:10 AM
But, and this is a big fat ass Oprah "but", Johnny Knoxville is hosting RAW soon.

Randy Orton is a big Eastbound & Down fan. I would much rather watch Kenny Powers interact with Orton for two hours than suffer through the average PG RAW bull-shit. I'd love to see Randy adopt a variation on the Kenny Powers character and play it for all it's worth.

Randy's entrance theme should be "Death Is The Answer" by Early Man.

RockOverBoston
October 1st, 2010, 4:17 AM
I would much rather watch Kenny Powers interact with Orton for two hours than suffer through the average PG RAW bull-shit. I'd love to see Randy adopt a variation on the Kenny Powers character and play it for all it's worth.

As would I, but let's be realistic here.

Beer-Belly
October 1st, 2010, 4:40 AM
I think Randy Orton would love that change up. His higher-ups would decidedly not like it at this point. I think they should base their show around Orton and his nastiness. People love anti-heroes. Archie Bunker, Eric Cartman, STONE COLD, Kenny Powers: all mean-spirited mother fuckers that still have an endearing human quality that people still cling to.

They will have to come up with some answers soon. I don't mind the TV-PG era, but it's not working right now. They put the big title on Orton, and his character's attitude is most not definitely "PG".

My worst fear is that Orton ends up taking the brunt for the down turn in the ratings. That would be awful. The Viper character is a breath of fresh air.

RockOverBoston
October 1st, 2010, 5:05 AM
My worst fear is that Orton ends up taking the brunt for the down turn in the ratings. That would be awful. The Viper character is a breath of fresh air.

I think you and I just need to not talk about politics, is all, because once again, this is dead-on.

Since this is so logical, though, Orton will somehow obviously bear the mark of shame for having the belt put him...at the very beginning of the NFL season...when an otherwise bad WWE product stood to deservedly get its ass kicked anyway.

Best we can hope for is SHOCKING new NXT leader Trips taking the title back at, say, Survivor Series...and the ratings improving none whatsoever.

Kure
October 1st, 2010, 8:31 AM
Hopefully they actually keep developing his character though. Now that he is so over, I'm afraid he is in danger of being Cena'ed where they keep it right where it is. "No Randy! Walk slower to the ring. Rub your head more. More, dammit!" Before long he'll just be a caricature. Slow-moving head-rubbing twitchy caricature.

Matty C
October 1st, 2010, 9:15 AM
I was 20 in the year 2000. I thought Rock was hilarious and Austin was great. Has it aged well? Possibly not but that has a lot to do with it no longer being original. At the time it was new and you didn’t expect what was coming or it was at least fresh in that you hadn’t heard a professional wrestler go around talking about pie and strudel.

My Father was 50 and he loved it too.

Don’t try and pass the Attitude Era off as being as childish and idiotic as much of the stuff today. The freshness of what they were doing and the presentation of things were far superior.

That doesn’t mean they need to rehash the AE. They just need to find the next fresh and exciting topic(s) in order to become relevant again and grab the attention of the mainstream. Whether they can do that while attempting to be blatantly family friendly is the question… the only answer that I know for sure is that the current direction is not working. The ratings and PPV numbers support that.

Mark Hammer
October 1st, 2010, 9:18 AM
That's a fact Matty. My parents actually got into it from late 99 to just before WCW was purchased. And it all started when they saw a Rock promo.

Smiddy
October 1st, 2010, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by mth
DX 2009 > any other incarnation in any other time frame.

You do get that originally D-Generation X were supposed to be spoilt, childish, immature brats? Other than being an inside joke, that was the whole point of the gimmick. All that happened in 2009 was that WWE finally realised that Helmsley and Michaels grew up a long time ago, and that they had also previously conveyed that to their audience. Therefore it was time to drop the gimmick's original motivation in place of nostalgia based on their years of friendship (and their rivalries). Without the success of DX in 1997 and 1998, we would have never seen the group/ duo in their 2009 incarnation (or in 2006 either for that matter).

2000 vs. 2010 really doesn't come down to content, it comes down to the quality of the content. The late eighties and early nineties were also marketed to a younger demographic, and those years were some of WWE's very best. There's also the huge problem of the literal policing of the content of today's programming, which only the veterans and the elite have the skill to rise above.

Originally posted by OD50
Problem with a good ol' fashioned blood feud is that the ref would put on some rubber gloves and wipe it away before it even got started...

OUCH.

Mark Hammer
October 1st, 2010, 11:38 AM
Also sorry mth but that claim is absurd. There is no way that the 2009 version was better than the original 97 version.

Chris
October 1st, 2010, 11:40 AM
I think a wrestling show can survive with a PG rating. The storylines, the characters and their motivations and all the other aspects of writing determine how interesting or exciting a show is. The PG rating simply serves to restrict bad writers from using the odd cheap heat device like someone getting busted open - a horribly boring feud might be perked up a bit, if only temporarily, with a little blood or a swift chair-shot to the skull.

Even if the product improved in the eyes of some of its critics in this thread, it probably wouldn't be reflected in the ratings or buyrates. People are looking to conserve money in the current economic climate. They might be willing to buy a UFC show or a WWE show, but not both. Even if they think a WWE PPV is worth buying, they might split it with a few friends or wait for the DVD to come out.

It might take something radical to refreshen the WWE product. A break in programming is one option. WWE has tried so hard to centre itself as an entertainment show rather than a wrestling show - perhaps it's time to do away with the all-year programming and have WWE run in seasons like any other TV show. It would give fans a break for a few months (which can only be a good thing if they're bored or disillusioned with the product) and give the wrestlers time to heal up from injuries. The writing team and all the other higher-ups can spend time looking at what did and didn't work in the previous season and draw up some concrete plans for the next.

I mean, Randy Orton and Sheamus are squaring off on PPV for the third time at Hell in a Cell (and that's just in a one-on-one scenario). For all the new blood that's been called up over the years, there's still a tendency to rehash the same match-ups over and over again. The constant mix of Cena, Orton and Triple H in 2009 did my head in. The answer isn't to just put someone brand new in the fold and see if they'll sink or swim. A break in programming, along with more compelling storylines of course, might help to stop feuds from being burnt out so quickly. Putting two guys in a gimmick match in the subsequent PPV (the gimmick already being determined by the PPV schedule rather than the intensity of the feud) isn't going to work in the long-run. People are just going to get sick of seeing the same guys facing each other and the same gimmick matches popping up at the same time each year.

Mark Hammer
October 1st, 2010, 11:43 AM
I mean, Randy Orton and Sheamus are squaring off on PPV for the third time at Hell in a Cell (and that's just in a one-on-one scenario). For all the new blood that's been called up over the years, there's still a tendency to rehash the same match-ups over and over again. The constant mix of Cena, Orton and Triple H in 2009 did my head in.

It's pretty hard to be invested in a match if you've seen it a trillion times before and you know there will be countless rematches afterwards.

xpacnumber1fan
October 1st, 2010, 12:44 PM
?

Wouldn't it be fair to say that they have more new main eventers and upper midcarders than at any time in recent memory?

Yea FINALLY. And even then, they still put them up with the same people up at the top.

For example, other than No Way Out and Wrestlemania this year, Cena has been not only in the main event, but the last match of every PPV. How fresh is that?

And look at Sheamus. Ever since he has been in the main events, who has he faced on PPV? Including when he won the title...

TLC - Cena
RR - Orton
Elimination Chamber - Cena, Orton, HHH, Kofi, and Ted
WM - HHH
ER - HHH
Over The Limit - Wasn't in a match but he kicked Cena after his match
Fatal Four Way - Cena, Orton, and Edge
MITB - Cena
Summerslam - Orton
Night of Champions - Jericho, Orton, Cena, Barret, and Edge
Hell in a Cell - Orton

Noticing kind of the trend? Just an endless circle of Orton and Cena with a little HHH to spice it up. And when HHH comes back, who do you think he is going to feud with?

Thank GOD Orton turned into a mega face so he seems fresh. But they have to keep going back to Cena, HHH, and now Orton as faces because they have no idea how to strongly push a new face. It's like they're completely clueless on Raw. Hardy and Lashley are the closest things they've come to in years, and hell, in WWE even Russo could have booked Hardy and he would have been a mega star.

ANT
October 1st, 2010, 12:52 PM
How else are they going to build someone like Sheamus up if they don't put him against the 'top guys' though?

I mean, he's just now getting there himself. And its not even been a year. Most of time guys go through 3-4 feuds a year. If anything, him constantly feuding with HHH, Orton, and Cena has benefitted him.

ANT
October 1st, 2010, 1:07 PM
I honestly don't think that anything said in this thread would make much of a difference. The times are just different, and it won't matter what the rating is, who's feuding, what the name of the next PPV is, I'm almost pretty certain that the next episode of RAW will be destroyed by Monday Night Football ratings wise. At most you might a modest bump if something big happened.

And I don't even think the last few RAWs have been all that bad, or at least nothing out of the ordinary. Every RAW will have its hits and misses just like it did years ago.

TapOut
October 1st, 2010, 1:13 PM
:yes: Yeah, I've gone back and watched some DX skits and stuff for the Attitude Era and thought they were terrible. Some of Rock's promos, as well as he did them, had some really stupid/childish things in them that really aren't any better than some of the bad Cena promos now days.

Personally, I just want better writing/booking, otherwise, I would be more than happy if WWE stayed TV-PG indefinitely. I don't even miss blood.

I probably look back on the stuff more fondly than you because, like Matty, I remember watching it when it was all new. I had the benefit of the AE coming into age right along with me... I was a tot when Hogan was getting huge and fighting Savage, Andre, Warrior, etc., and the New Generation era happened when I was 8 - 12 years old, and right when I hit 13 we had Austin, Foley, HBK, Hart, Trips, Taker, Rock, etc. all gaining edgy characters.

When Rock was doing some of his skits, sure, some of the may have been corny and ridiculous, but you didn't compare it to Cena then because there was no Cena: it was all brand new. Today though, its easy to say "Man, that sounds like a bad Rock promo" because we all remember The Rock and its true, some of Cena's promos are aiming for the same type of style and delivery as The Rock.

I don't want to turn this into Cena bashing... I'm just using that as the comparison.

Back during the Attitude Era, you had these guys really letting loose with their real-life selves. The WWE let it happen even at the expense of advertisers and bad press, and it payed off more than even they probably could have hoped.

I don't necessarily want another Attitude Era or a return to PG-13 or R-rated material, but if that's what it takes to spark the creativity again, I really don't care.

xpacnumber1fan
October 1st, 2010, 1:59 PM
How else are they going to build someone like Sheamus up if they don't put him against the 'top guys' though?

I mean, he's just now getting there himself. And its not even been a year. Most of time guys go through 3-4 feuds a year. If anything, him constantly feuding with HHH, Orton, and Cena has benefitted him.
Its a bad thing because it gets stale very quickly. WWE simply doesn't have the writing to make it exciting. Its just the same crap over and over. Imagine if at one PPV that Sheamus was champion Morrison had won a number 1 contender's match. If they then proceeded to have the match they had on Raw on PPV instead, it would have been fresh, it would have been exciting, and it would have benefitted both men. They didn't HAVE to give Orton the title so quickly. At what point does it go from benefitting to detrimental?

If it wasn't for the fact that Sheamus is so awesome I would be bored of him already.

UncannyIowan
October 1st, 2010, 2:11 PM

They had to put Sheamus in feuds with these guys because he was given the title wayyy too fast. He was beating Goldust and Shelton Benjamin on ECW barely, then squashed Jamie Noble, then a couple weeks later he's the World champion....I'm all about adding new faces, but it's hard for me to rally behind guys thrust into the World title picture based on the way they look or who went to FCW and put their name at the top of a list.

I probably look back on the stuff more fondly than you because, like Matty, I remember watching it when it was all new. I had the benefit of the AE coming into age right along with me... I was a tot when Hogan was getting huge and fighting Savage, Andre, Warrior, etc., and the New Generation era happened when I was 8 - 12 years old, and right when I hit 13 we had Austin, Foley, HBK, Hart, Trips, Taker, Rock, etc. all gaining edgy characters.

When Rock was doing some of his skits, sure, some of the may have been corny and ridiculous, but you didn't compare it to Cena then because there was no Cena: it was all brand new. Today though, its easy to say "Man, that sounds like a bad Rock promo" because we all remember The Rock and its true, some of Cena's promos are aiming for the same type of style and delivery as The Rock.

I don't want to turn this into Cena bashing... I'm just using that as the comparison.

Back during the Attitude Era, you had these guys really letting loose with their real-life selves. The WWE let it happen even at the expense of advertisers and bad press, and it payed off more than even they probably could have hoped.

I don't necessarily want another Attitude Era or a return to PG-13 or R-rated material, but if that's what it takes to spark the creativity again, I really don't care.

This is how I feel, I converse with cats like Cewsh about how it's different when you actual witness something as it happens versus going back years later and watching it. I'm sure Bruno Sammartino holding the title for 20 years was great for the era he did it in, but when I go back and watch him I think "damn, this is boring, what was the big deal?"

I'm fortunate enough to have grown up and actually have memories of the 80's and 90's, which I feel the last 10 years have been a mixture of. What I see today in the PG world is far different than what I grew up with.

Defrost
October 1st, 2010, 2:25 PM
I have no problem with someone winning the title like that. I mean Brock Lesnar was 1-1 in UFC before becoming Heavyweight Champion of the World so it isn't unrealistic.

UncannyIowan
October 1st, 2010, 2:34 PM
I have no problem with someone winning the title like that. I mean Brock Lesnar was 1-1 in UFC before becoming Heavyweight Champion of the World so it isn't unrealistic.

Brock Lesnar was also credible even at 1-1, he about killed former World champion Frank Mir and had legit collegiate wrestling credentials....unlike in the pro wrestling world where a guy like Sheamus beating a jobber and having muscles doesn't exactly equal a world title contender. At least Brock's first feud was against mega popular Team Extreme.

Cewsh
October 1st, 2010, 2:38 PM
Has there ever been any evidence that "fresh" matchups do better business than the top guys?

Kyle_242
October 1st, 2010, 2:38 PM
I honestly don't think that anything said in this thread would make much of a difference. The times are just different, and it won't matter what the rating is, who's feuding, what the name of the next PPV is, I'm almost pretty certain that the next episode of RAW will be destroyed by Monday Night Football ratings wise. At most you might a modest bump if something big happened.

And I don't even think the last few RAWs have been all that bad, or at least nothing out of the ordinary. Every RAW will have its hits and misses just like it did years ago.

Agree completely. I haven't read the entire thread but I think the ratings have much more to do with MNF than it does the quality of RAW...I actually think RAW has been quite good the past few weeks. But even then, RAW always gets DVR'd in favor of MNF for me...if I had to choose between the two, MNF would be the no-brainer. Football is just massive and seems to keep getting bigger and bigger...and this is coming from a Canadian.

Thank GOD Orton turned into a mega face so he seems fresh. But they have to keep going back to Cena, HHH, and now Orton as faces because they have no idea how to strongly push a new face. It's like they're completely clueless on Raw. Hardy and Lashley are the closest things they've come to in years, and hell, in WWE even Russo could have booked Hardy and he would have been a mega star.

Also agree with this...but I think it's pretty hard to push a new face in the PG world. Because really, what do you do? The entertainment climate is very gritty right now, people want edgy, badass heroes that aren't exactly PG. Orton fits this well, but he had to be a heel for a long time to get over, his first face run was a disaster. Cena's character change from Smackdown to Raw took forever to get over (I admittedly stopped watching during this process), but look at him now, he's huge. And even with that persistence he still gets booed in some places.

I think this is why most new wrestlers seem to be debuting as heels...it's easier to write a personality for a heel because they HAVE to have a personality to get hated. With a face...what can you really do? Be quiet and hope your moves get you over? Didn't work for Evan Bourne.

xpacnumber1fan
October 1st, 2010, 2:48 PM
Has there ever been any evidence that "fresh" matchups do better business than the top guys?

No but there is evidence that having the same guys on top over and over doesn't help it.

Doing it every once in a while keeps things fresh and exciting. No one expects that R Truth in one main event will pop a huge buyrate, but it helps programming overall. WWE has a ton of guys that are over and can sell if used properly. If you have a particularly strong match on the Smackdown side or if you have a strong semi main with two top stars, you can afford to experiment and freshen it up. Having Sheamus go with a strong heel run against some of the top uppermidcard faces, along with giving guys like Cena and Orton strong programs with other guys would go a along way in freshening up WWE TV.

Plus, fresh matchups are the only way to make new top guys. Look at Sheamus.

UncannyIowan
October 1st, 2010, 2:53 PM

That depends, I'm sure fresh matchups with top guys is better business than seeing the same 3 guys over and over. I don't mean fresh as in new guy that hasn't been in the title picture, but I mean if you took Undertaker and Cena 7 years after their first run-in and put them in a feud now I'd bet it'd be more appealing to fans than another Randy Orton/Triple H feud.

xpacnumber1fan
October 1st, 2010, 2:56 PM
Also agree with this...but I think it's pretty hard to push a new face in the PG world. Because really, what do you do? The entertainment climate is very gritty right now, people want edgy, badass heroes that aren't exactly PG. Orton fits this well, but he had to be a heel for a long time to get over, his first face run was a disaster. Cena's character change from Smackdown to Raw took forever to get over (I admittedly stopped watching during this process), but look at him now, he's huge. And even with that persistence he still gets booed in some places.

I think this is why most new wrestlers seem to be debuting as heels...it's easier to write a personality for a heel because they HAVE to have a personality to get hated. With a face...what can you really do? Be quiet and hope your moves get you over? Didn't work for Evan Bourne.

I don't agree. Evan Bourne was hot as hell when partnered up with Cena and could have been making waves in the upper card right now. What killed him was WWE knocking him back to jobber status after about 3 weeks of having awesome matches.

R Truth has never been a heel since his redebut and he is still hot. But I swear its like WWE are doing everything in their power to kill his heat. Can you tell me the last time he had a nice strong program?

UncannyIowan
October 1st, 2010, 3:00 PM
I don't agree. Evan Bourne was hot as hell when partnered up with Cena and could have been making waves in the upper card right now. What killed him was WWE knocking him back to jobber status after about 3 weeks of having awesome matches.

R Truth has never been a heel since his redebut and he is still hot. But I swear its like WWE are doing everything in their power to kill his heat. Can you tell me the last time he had a nice strong program?

I think that's really what it boils down to. There is talent on both shows that are being cemented as midcarders against the fans' will through horrible writing, possibly vets using their stroke to maintain a top spot in these lackluster times. The WWE then breaks them down to the point where you almost agree that you must've been wrong in liking that wrestler since he's STILL underutilized, STILL floating around in meaningless storylines masked as "ways 2 get them t.v. time....". Not everyone can be a main eventer, but it wouldn't kill the WWE to push a couple more guys harder.

Chris
October 1st, 2010, 3:04 PM
It would be really interesting to see the results of those surveys that are done on wwe.com from time to time - where fans are asked how they watch PPVs, what they would like to see more often, etc, etc. We can all too quickly blame WWE for the constant gimmick PPVs, but perhaps that's what a good portion of fans surveyed asked for. In the case of the latter, what are WWE expected to do?

I don't agree with the notion that it's easier to write for a heel. If anything, heels may be more difficult because they can elicit a positive response if they make a really good joke at someone else's expense or dish out a really cool beatdown on someone. Austin's character from 2000/2001 would easily fit in to today's product - he played to the fans with a catchphrase, he said he was going to beat someone up and then he came out and did it. And the fans ate it up. He wouldn't be able to say the word "Ass" or have blood streaking down his face (and that didn't happen often on TV anway), but there wasn't anything particularly PG-14 or R-Rated about Austin in those days.

I think the writers should try to keep things more simple like that - John Cena giving a monologue, when the jokes aren't very funny and he's not very good at delivering them, isn't playing to his strengths. If he's going to talk for an extended amount of time, he should at least have a massive chip on his shoulder. He's damn near invincible, so have him be aware of that; rather than being a goody-two-shoes who thinks nothing of his Dad getting slapped or a wrestler trying to run him over in a car.

But like I said earlier, I don't think a good or bad show is going to matter much in relation to the ratings/buyrates. People being strapped for cash is only going to get worse in the near future, so WWE would be doing well just to hold at the level it's at currently.

xpacnumber1fan
October 1st, 2010, 3:07 PM
Look at Kofi on Raw. People say it was his fault but I fail to see it. When his program with Orton first started fans were rabid for him. Kofi stepped up his game, delivered good heated promos, and had a defining moment with the Boom Drop at MSG. But what happened? They had him face Orton and Legacy like 20 more times to the point of staleness with no further development or focus then did absolutely nothing with him after the program finished. Its like WWE is terrified of having new faces get good strong solid wins over a series of top guys.

ANT
October 1st, 2010, 3:10 PM
Big pushes are WAY easier for heels than faces. Some 6-8 monster who rarely talks can win the title in less than a year and he'll get largely booed after beating on Cena or Orton enough times.

A heel getting little reaction is bad, but its not near as noticeable as a face getting no reaction. Thats almost embarassing.

Faces just have to stick around longer for fans to get behind their offense, unless they're like Bourne or Kofi, who have more exciting offense. Heels don't need that.

And I think Bourne's push declining is largely due to Bryan Danielson. I mean, he took the underdog role and had a built in storyline with more build with Miz than anything Bourne could have as quickly.

Kyle_242
October 1st, 2010, 3:12 PM
I think that's really what it boils down to. There is talent on both shows that are being cemented as midcarders against the fans' will through horrible writing, possibly vets using their stroke to maintain a top spot in these lackluster times. The WWE then breaks them down to the point where you almost agree that you must've been wrong in liking that wrestler since he's STILL underutilized, STILL floating around in meaningless storylines masked as "ways 2 get them t.v. time....". Not everyone can be a main eventer, but it wouldn't kill the WWE to push a couple more guys harder.

That's true...I was thinking about it more and R-Truth came to mind as probably most over "pure face" guy who doesn't seem to be near the main event...and the problem is that they don't seem to be doing anything with him. Christian would be another example...the crowd loves him (I think he was getting the biggest pop on Smackdown for awhile there), but the WWE refuses to do anything with him.

Bourne's push did feel like it was "pulled" by the WWE itself, and not due to lack of interest from the fans, but I still think his character was bland and I can't picture him in the main event. And don't get me started on Morrison (who ironically, they seem to really want to push to the moon).

So maybe the answer is as simple as just giving the fans the guys they want? I dunno..the other problem with that is that it doesn't always turn out well when a fan favorite wins the title (Jericho's first run, Benoit, you could even throw Mysterio in there).

UncannyIowan
October 1st, 2010, 3:14 PM
And that just shows another negative to the WWE's writing...

"OMG, 2 guys who are short can't BOTH be underdogs, so instead of figuring something else out we'll just put him in a nowhere tag-team with Mark Henry aka King of tag-teams that never do shit"

Evan and Bryan danielson for the US title. That's ppv. I want to PAY to see awesome wrestling, I don't want to PAY to see Raw with 45 extra minutes, which is basically what the majority of ppvs are these days. RVD wasn't Mr. PPV because he was on every ppv, it was because what he brought was on a higher level worth paying good money to see.

UncannyIowan
October 1st, 2010, 3:17 PM
So maybe the answer is as simple as just giving the fans the guys they want? I dunno..the other problem with that is that it doesn't always turn out well when a fan favorite wins the title (Jericho's first run, Benoit, you could even throw Mysterio in there).

Jericho's first run was poor timing, not very many people-including Jericho fans-expected or even wanted him to walk out of that ppv with the belt.

Benoit and Rey, again, another example of bad booking. It wasn't like all the sudden these guys sucked and the fans turned on them, they just had poorly written reigns.

Kyle_242
October 1st, 2010, 3:35 PM
Jericho's first run was poor timing, not very many people-including Jericho fans-expected or even wanted him to walk out of that ppv with the belt.

Benoit and Rey, again, another example of bad booking. It wasn't like all the sudden these guys sucked and the fans turned on them, they just had poorly written reigns.

Alot of it was booking, but I think some of it had to do with the build-up being better than the aftermath. There's a reason why movies end after the protagonist achieves his goal...what else can they really do? Just like if someone's story is to FINALLY win that WWE title...ok...they won it...now what?

Easier for a heel to be in that position, because people WANT you to drop the belt and will tune in to see you lose. Hell, I'd argue that even Cena had that going for him for awhile...alot of people were dying to see him drop the belt.

Anyway, fundamentally I agree that the WWE is having trouble booking top tier faces, but at the same time I don't think it's really that easy. As for the ratings, I'm sticking to MNF being the factor.

Cewsh
October 1st, 2010, 3:49 PM
Nobody since the really great days of Attitude Era WCW was any good at pushing main event faces at all. It is easily the hardest thing to do in wrestling.

xpacnumber1fan
October 1st, 2010, 3:55 PM
Yea but WWE has made obviously stupid moves. It's hard but not impossible. Top faces are the people that draw the money for the company (for the most part).

How hard is it to push someone the fans themselves are saying they want to see? Pushing someone like Danielson as a top face is tricky since he had no heat, but someone like R Truth or Christian? Even I could do that.

UncannyIowan
October 1st, 2010, 4:21 PM
Yea but WWE has made obviously stupid moves. It's hard but not impossible. Top faces are the people that draw the money for the company (for the most part).

How hard is it to push someone the fans themselves are saying they want to see? Pushing someone like Danielson as a top face is tricky since he had no heat, but someone like R Truth or Christian? Even I could do that.

face it, the WWE is lazy. And I think there are probably a couple top guys playing politics to keep their position secure even if it means boring us to death with 7 months of the same shit.

ANT
October 1st, 2010, 4:31 PM
I don't think people get that you can't push every guy at the same time. They're pushing Orton. They're pushing Bryan. They're pushing Morrison. They're pushing Sheamus, They're pushing Nexus. They're pushing Miz. And thats all on RAW. Guess what guys, other guys are going to have to take losses regularly for this to happen.

R Truth isn't even someone I think you need to push really. His position on the card is fine. And I largely think the same about Christian.

UncannyIowan
October 1st, 2010, 4:46 PM
I don't think people get that you can't push every guy at the same time. They're pushing Orton. They're pushing Bryan. They're pushing Morrison. They're pushing Sheamus, They're pushing Nexus. They're pushing Miz. And thats all on RAW. Guess what guys, other guys are going to have to take losses regularly for this to happen.

R Truth isn't even someone I think you need to push really. His position on the card is fine. And I largely think the same about Christian.

Eh, it's not about just a "push" but what kind of push. They're pushing Morrison? Doesn't look like he's any further up the ladder than he was 3-4 years ago when he was the IC champion and then the ECW champion.

It's not even about wins and losses, it's about variety. It's about who's getting pushed, why they're getting pushed, and if the WWE decide to continue to "push" these guys before saying fuck it and going back to Orton v. Cena or Triple H for another 12 months.

Variety is what blew up the WWF in the 80's and 90's. It's what made WCW dominate the WWF in ratings for 2 years, it's what attracts people to TNA and RoH and other promotions (idc about ratings/buyrates, people watch the shows).

I totally agree, you can't push every single person at the same time but there's nothing really special in the title picture that we haven't seen over and over.

ANT
October 1st, 2010, 5:01 PM
But at the same time, in the past, most of the guys who were pushed at the top were pushed because they were legitimately the most over on the roster.

Now we're talking about guys who are kinda over and in the process of getting over, and getting mad that they aren't main eventing. There's nothing wrong with being in the US/IC title scene for a while. I mean Morrison is fine where he's at. He's gaining momentum but IC/US title level isn't hell, and if anything guys like him should be feuding over that title so it looks better.

You can't pack the roster with 'Midcarders we're trying to push to the main event'. You have to have midcarders who are actual midcarders. R-Truth and Christian fit that bill to me and I have no problem with where they are at.

Not to mention everyone seems to ignore the mega push Sheamus got or Nexus doing far better than they have any right to be doing collectively.

I just don't get the idea that its not a push if they aren't main eventing or winning the world title. Especially when we complain about how little the titles mean.

xpacnumber1fan
October 1st, 2010, 5:02 PM

The people want to see R Truth and Christian and they have the skills to handle a push. No brainer to me.

And you can push multiple people strongly. How is Bryan getting a strong push in the midcard affecting Orton's push at main event? RECENTLY WWE has been doing well in pushing heels, but they still suck at faces. Not everybody can main event at the same time, but you can push a bunch of guys strongly in the midcard, eventually moving them up while rotating some of the top guys out of the main event slot for a while. You do that by not wasting 20 minutes of airtime every week on worthless segments that serve no purpose. The had 6 hours, now 5 of weekly programming and you're telling me its not possible?

ANT
October 1st, 2010, 5:05 PM
They get to see R Truth and Christian though. I think they are both fine in their position. Over midcarders are desperately needed.

If an oppurtunity arises and some guys leave or get injured and they push Christian to the main event, then thats cool. But I don't really see an urgent need to have him headline Wrestlemania or anything. He can stay where he is and put over Del Rio eventually and that would be awesome. I don't think a world title run has to be involved for it to be considered a push.

xpacnumber1fan
October 1st, 2010, 5:05 PM
Plus what are jobbers for?

Cewsh
October 1st, 2010, 5:06 PM
How hard is it to push someone the fans themselves are saying they want to see?

Incredibly. Because fans don't know what they want.

xpacnumber1fan
October 1st, 2010, 5:07 PM
They get to see R Truth and Christian though. I think they are both fine in their position. Over midcarders are desperately needed.

If an oppurtunity arises and some guys leave or get injured and they push Christian to the main event, then thats cool. But I don't really see an urgent need to have him headline Wrestlemania or anything. He can stay where he is and put over Del Rio eventually and that would be awesome. I don't think a world title run has to be involved for it to be considered a push.

Smackdown DOES desperately need new faces at the top. All they have are a broken down Taker, a broken down Rey, and an old Big Show.

xpacnumber1fan
October 1st, 2010, 5:11 PM

That's the same attitude Bischoff and Russo have and its a crappy way to run a company.

Cewsh
October 1st, 2010, 5:13 PM
Pandering to your fans obsessively was Paul Heyman and Gabe Sapolsky's idea.

I'll take Bischoff and Russo. It actually made them money.

UncannyIowan
October 1st, 2010, 5:16 PM
But at the same time, in the past, most of the guys who were pushed at the top were pushed because they were legitimately the most over on the roster.

Now we're talking about guys who are kinda over and in the process of getting over, and getting mad that they aren't main eventing. There's nothing wrong with being in the US/IC title scene for a while. I mean Morrison is fine where he's at. He's gaining momentum but IC/US title level isn't hell, and if anything guys like him should be feuding over that title so it looks better.

You can't pack the roster with 'Midcarders we're trying to push to the main event'. You have to have midcarders who are actual midcarders. R-Truth and Christian fit that bill to me and I have no problem with where they are at.

Not to mention everyone seems to ignore the mega push Sheamus got or Nexus doing far better than they have any right to be doing collectively.

I just don't get the idea that its not a push if they aren't main eventing or winning the world title. Especially when we complain about how little the titles mean.

I think there's more to getting pushed than just being on t.v. though. Like I said, it's all about variety. I think the basis of this entire conversation started with us talking about the main event world title scene looking bland.....So more than likely we'd be talking about why it's stale and why they need variety. Some people though are content with what they see, I'm not, which is cool , that's what makes the world so special.

You're talking about midcarders needing to be over, and that's great, but what about when they've reached their full potential and it's time to see if they can make it at a higher level? Wouldn't that mean put someone in their place? There are a lot of guys who are talented that rarely get t.v. time, why not make room for them and if they suck they can be replaced.

Smackdown DOES desperately need new faces at the top. All they have are a broken down Taker, a broken down Rey, and an old Big Show.

Exactly, same 2-3 guys, same exact results. I mean seriously, push Christian to the main event, and if he fails he can go back to "putting over" people.

ANT
October 1st, 2010, 5:21 PM
I don't know how its the same guys when they spent the last year pushing Sheamus to the top, and are currently giving a group of rookies a huge push.

Not to mention we all know Miz kinda has a briefcase. I mean since losing HBK and Batista they've made a concentrated effort to push these guys.

Its just not going to happen overnight. Otherwise you get Jack Swagger.

Cewsh
October 1st, 2010, 5:23 PM
But they DID push Jack Swagger. Swagger, Miz, Punk, Sheamus, Nexus, etc.

xpacnumber1fan
October 1st, 2010, 5:31 PM
Because Sheamus has been working with the exact same group of top guys.

And Edge, you are going to the other extreme. If you ask me, listening to the fans was what made Bischgoff successful. When he stopped he went into that downward spiral. And Heyman's booking is what kept him going for so long. Heyman lost his company because he is a horrible businessman. You know this so I dont even know why you would say that. Heyman is a brilliant booker.

Cewsh
October 1st, 2010, 5:37 PM

And Edge, you are going to the other extreme. If you ask me, listening to the fans was what made Bischgoff successful. When he stopped he went into that downward spiral. And Heyman's booking is what kept him going for so long. Heyman lost his company because he is a horrible businessman. You know this so I dont even know why you would say that. Heyman is a brilliant booker.

You have to use prior main eventers to make new main eventers. That is professional wrestling and I invite you to provide any example of that not being true.

Eric Bischoff was not listening to the fans when he made the NWO, because they didn't know they wanted it. Fans never do. If you want a crystal clear example of fans not truly knowing what they want, check out any time WWE has let the fans vote on things, and the buyrates and ratings of said events.

And Heyman had his moments. So did Vince Russo.

ANT
October 1st, 2010, 5:37 PM

Well no shit. HHH, Cena, and Orton are 3 of the most over faces on the roster. THATS why they do that.

Its usually a slow process to get guys to that level. They can't just be over, they have to be more over or as over as the Cena's and HHH's and Orton's.

Thats how Cena, Batista, and Edge got their first titles, and thats probably why they actually stuck around. They were the most over guys on the roster when they won their first title. For that to work today you'd have to get a face on RAW getting Cena and Orton level pops.

Otherwise you get a 'fresh' matchup between guys who are kinda over for the title, and they look stupid because there's a bigger matchup without the title between the really over guys. Just like Summerslam 2008.

xpacnumber1fan
October 1st, 2010, 6:56 PM

All heels.

Eric Bischoff was not listening to the fans when he made the NWO, because they didn't know they wanted it. Fans never do. If you want a crystal clear example of fans not truly knowing what they want, check out any time WWE has let the fans vote on things, and the buyrates and ratings of said events.

Fans wanted something new and were tired of Hogan. He turned him heel. But either way, this is starying from the original point. Listening to what the fans want is not something to shrug off because "they don't know what they want". If the fans are cheering their heads off for a guy, then it means they probably wouldnt mind paying money to see him. And if the guy has the skills to handle a big push, then why not. It's common sense.

You have to use prior main eventers to make new main eventers. That is professional wrestling and I invite you to provide any example of that not being true.

Well no shit. HHH, Cena, and Orton are 3 of the most over faces on the roster. THATS why they do that.

Its usually a slow process to get guys to that level. They can't just be over, they have to be more over or as over as the Cena's and HHH's and Orton's.

Thats how Cena, Batista, and Edge got their first titles, and thats probably why they actually stuck around. They were the most over guys on the roster when they won their first title. For that to work today you'd have to get a face on RAW getting Cena and Orton level pops.

Otherwise you get a 'fresh' matchup between guys who are kinda over for the title, and they look stupid because there's a bigger matchup without the title between the really over guys. Just like Summerslam 2008.

I'm pretty sure I addressed this in this same thread.

ANT said

"How else are they going to build someone like Sheamus up if they don't put him against the 'top guys' though?

I mean, he's just now getting there himself. And its not even been a year. Most of time guys go through 3-4 feuds a year. If anything, him constantly feuding with HHH, Orton, and Cena has benefitted him."

I said

"Its a bad thing because it gets stale very quickly. WWE simply doesn't have the writing to make it exciting. Its just the same crap over and over. Imagine if at one PPV that Sheamus was champion Morrison had won a number 1 contender's match. If they then proceeded to have the match they had on Raw on PPV instead, it would have been fresh, it would have been exciting, and it would have benefitted both men. They didn't HAVE to give Orton the title so quickly. At what point does it go from benefitting to detrimental?

If it wasn't for the fact that Sheamus is so awesome I would be bored of him already."

Sheamus is the top heel on the brand, he is over as heel, and he is credible. Ever since his feud with HHH ended, he hasn't been facing Cena and Orton constantly because they are trying to get him over. IT'S BECAUSE THEY HAVE NO OTHER TOP FACES. THAT'S the problem I'm trying to get at.

If they want to get a new top face over, who the hell is he exactly supposed to face? Jericho is gone and they did nothing with him to help make anybody.* Edge is feuding with a computer. Wade Barrett can't help get anyone over right now. The only positive progress they are making right now is with Miz and Bryan. Sheamus should be doing that right now with a Morrison or a Truth, not face Randy Orton AGAIN. And I bet that unless they decide to turn Trips heel, Sheamus is going to come out the winner in this feud with Randy Orton at Bragging Rights and then face HHH all the way to Elimination Chamber AGAIN.

Unless WWE gets some new faces up there quickly, Sheamus is going to go the same route Orton has for the past 3 years, as the main heel fodder for Cena and HHH on Raw. Except this time it will be for Cena, HHH, and Orton.

You guys keep on saying they are pushing new guys. Which is true. They are strongly pushing some new heels. But Cena especially is becoming a very big stale problem. You can have Cena facing a new guy every month, but if still going to be Cena at the top in the main event matches, and people are tired of seeing him, then no one is going to care. They need to keep Cena in the undercard, like they are going to do at HIAC, and keep him there for a good long while.

"It's usually a slow process to get guys to that level." Christ it's been YEARS. In the 5 years since they made Cena and Bats they've only been able to get 3 new faces to be strong main eventers (RVD, Lashley, and Hardy). That's horrible. It's not like they don't have the talent. It's not like guys haven't had the fan support. WWE just sucks at it.

*I take that back. Jericho did help out Bourne a lot in their little program, WWE just failed to take advantage of it.

UncannyIowan
October 1st, 2010, 8:40 PM

Problem is, sometimes the E is quick to go back to "what works", and the idea is that as time goes on these cats will continue to get pushed. Really pushed, not just pass time till Undertaker gets back- pushed.

Anyone who doesn't understand the logic of "passing the torch" is an idiot.

I think the fans do know what they want. A great example would be when they actually let the fans vote. You mean to tell me that at Cyber Sunday, the fans didn't want HBK-broken leg and all, to wrestle Triple H over Benoit and Edge? Or when they voted Matt Hardy and Rey Misterio over guys who were heels and/or nowhere near as popular as them?

More often than not, the WWE has the right idea, they don't tell us what we want though. That's why not everyone likes everything that happens. The fans DID want to see the WWF v. WCW after all the shit talking, you're Helen Keller at birth if you don't think Bischoff used the bad blood between the 2 companies as a way to lure fans in. If fans cheer, 9 times out of 10 they get pushed, sometimes better than others, but I don't too many solid talents that had real responses not get some type of push.

John Cena is still main eventing because fans want to see him. Not all fans, just like all fans don't want to see Randy Orton or Triple H or Santino. You keep saying fans don't know what they want when the reality is the WWE just can't GIVE the fans everything we want, they can't SATISFY our individual needs. That's why we get high.

ANT
October 1st, 2010, 8:49 PM
Unless WWE gets some new faces up there quickly, Sheamus is going to go the same route Orton has for the past 3 years, as the main heel fodder for Cena and HHH on Raw. Except this time it will be for Cena, HHH, and Orton.

You guys keep on saying they are pushing new guys. Which is true. They are strongly pushing some new heels. But Cena especially is becoming a very big stale problem. You can have Cena facing a new guy every month, but if still going to be Cena at the top in the main event matches, and people are tired of seeing him, then no one is going to care. They need to keep Cena in the undercard, like they are going to do at HIAC, and keep him there for a good long while.

I'm sorry, but thats just bullshit.

"People are tired of Cena" is the type of shit you see on forums and such that doesn't translate into the shows.

Guess what, there are only two people on RAW who can stare at each other and make a crowd go crazy. Cena and Orton. Complain all you want about how much you think he's boring. Thats irrelevant.

The actual shows show that Cena and Orton are without a doubt the two most over guys on the roster and the fans would rather see them over anyone. Thats undeniable fact no matter how many online testimonials on how sick of Cena a few people are.

From WWE's standpoint, thats all they got to go on. Orton was getting crazy reactions, he's now the champion. The fans as a whole obviously aren't tired of him. Same for Cena. You have detractors, but everyone does, and its not enough for WWE to even take a bit of notice, no matter how many times you go on about nobody caring.

Defrost
October 1st, 2010, 8:53 PM
Again reactions do not matter. Crowds pop for guys who no longer draw. Watch Nitros from the slow death of WCW as proof.

ANT
October 1st, 2010, 8:56 PM
Well how else are they supposed to determine who to push now? I mean, they have it on Orton now and ratings only got worse. So what, does that mean that Cena and Orton shouldn't be anywhere near the title?

Its easy to say "none of them draw", but if the guys getting the most reactions shouldn't be in the main event then who else? What else does WWE go on to determine who main events. They can't just throw a bunch of new people in there and hope it works. Evan Bourne, Christian or Kofi going up against Sheamus this week won't stop the buyrate from being shitty. It probably would make it worse.

Not to mention its an absolute retarded practice not to keep the most over guys around the belt. The belt means shit if you don't do that.

Defrost
October 1st, 2010, 9:04 PM
The way they've booked the things have killed the belts. The belts haven't meant anything for years now.

As for what WWE can do it is their fault they are in this position. They are petrified of having anyone ever beat HHH, Cena, or Orton. They have run the same 5 matches into the ground and no one cares anymore. The same exact thing WCW did. Back then you can only see Hogan vs Luger or Hogan vs Flair so many times. WWE is in the same place WCW was in 1999.

By the way Hogan got big pops on those shows because that is the reaction guys pushed as stars get. Problem is they are getting pops from far fewer people since viewers are bailing in droves.

xpacnumber1fan
October 1st, 2010, 9:07 PM
I'm sorry, but thats just bullshit.

"People are tired of Cena" is the type of shit you see on forums and such that doesn't translate into the shows.

Guess what, there are only two people on RAW who can stare at each other and make a crowd go crazy. Cena and Orton. Complain all you want about how much you think he's boring. Thats irrelevant.

The actual shows show that Cena and Orton are without a doubt the two most over guys on the roster and the fans would rather see them over anyone. Thats undeniable fact no matter how many online testimonials on how sick of Cena a few people are.

From WWE's standpoint, thats all they got to go on. Orton was getting crazy reactions, he's now the champion. The fans as a whole obviously aren't tired of him. Same for Cena. You have detractors, but everyone does, and its not enough for WWE to even take a bit of notice, no matter how many times you go on about nobody caring.

People react to Cena. Big wow. Half of them react BECAUSE THEY ARE TIRED OF HIM! It doesnt matter if Cena's matches are the most reacted to. If he has such a high percentage of boos as a top face, thats a bad thing. Fans vociferously booing a face is a good thing? Since when? Because fans get up for the matches? What does it matter if no one buys the show? What does it matter if they change the channel?

Orton survived at least because he somewhat reinvented himself and became relevant, and WWE allowed him to turn which freshened him up. I was tired of Batista too until he turned heel and became awesome. They haven't done that with Cena, their main go to guy, and until they do, Cena is going to do more hurting than helping. It doesn't matter if Cena is pushing a good amount of merch now, because it's quite obvious that with a few minor tweaks, he could get the support of 100% of the audience, and in turn could sell a lot more.

And I don't have to say nobody cares. Look at the buyrates. Look at the ratings. Continue thinking oh it's UFC. Oh wrestling is in a down trend. Oh it's the bad economy. Yes, those are factors. Big ones even. But the fact is that WWE is not giving fans a reason to care. They don't have to pay to see Raw, but even in the off season the ratings sucked. They can still pop a huge rating every once in a while when something special comes along, so that shows that people are willing to watch. They just don't stay week to week because they just don't care.

xpacnumber1fan
October 1st, 2010, 9:08 PM
Well how else are they supposed to determine who to push now? I mean, they have it on Orton now and ratings only got worse. So what, does that mean that Cena and Orton shouldn't be anywhere near the title?

Its easy to say "none of them draw", but if the guys getting the most reactions shouldn't be in the main event then who else? What else does WWE go on to determine who main events. They can't just throw a bunch of new people in there and hope it works. Evan Bourne, Christian or Kofi going up against Sheamus this week won't stop the buyrate from being shitty. It probably would make it worse.

Not to mention its an absolute retarded practice not to keep the most over guys around the belt. The belt means shit if you don't do that.

WHO GIVES A CRAP IF NO ONE WATCHES?!?!?!

What do you not get about that? They have to try something new because what they have is obviously not working.

Fan reactions are an excellent indicator as to who to push. Which is why they should depush Cena.

The_Mike
October 1st, 2010, 9:15 PM
The belt means shit if you use it as gaudy product placement...

ANT
October 1st, 2010, 9:16 PM
People react to Cena. Big wow. Half of them react BECAUSE THEY ARE TIRED OF HIM! It doesnt matter if Cena's matches are the most reacted to. If he has such a high percentage of boos as a top face, thats a bad thing. Fans vociferously booing a face is a good thing? Since when? Because fans get up for the matches? What does it matter if no one buys the show? What does it matter if they change the channel?

Orton survived at least because he somewhat reinvented himself and became relevant, and WWE allowed him to turn which freshened him up. I was tired of Batista too until he turned heel and became awesome. They haven't done that with Cena, their main go to guy, and until they do, Cena is going to do more hurting than helping. It doesn't matter if Cena is pushing a good amount of merch now, because it's quite obvious that with a few minor tweaks, he could get the support of 100% of the audience, and in turn could sell a lot more.

And I don't have to say nobody cares. Look at the buyrates. Look at the ratings. Continue thinking oh it's UFC. Oh wrestling is in a down trend. Oh it's the bad economy. Yes, those are factors. Big ones even. But the fact is that WWE is not giving fans a reason to care. They don't have to pay to see Raw, but even in the off season the ratings sucked. They can still pop a huge rating every once in a while when something special comes along, so that shows that people are willing to watch. They just don't stay week to week because they just don't care.

Again, bullshit.

The last two weeks RAW ratings plummeted, and Cena wasn't near the title those two shows. He's not in a title match at HIAC either, and I don't forsee a good buyrate there either.

By your logic, Orton should be sent to the undercard immediately. Don't give me that everyone is tired of one person bullshit. Ratings drop for many reasons and they've been dropping for a while, there is absolutely no suggestions in this thread would change that. Especially not taking possibly your top or second guy and throwing him in the undercard.

Yeah, they should just push R-Truth. THATS WHY NOBODYS WATCHING!

Defrost
October 1st, 2010, 9:17 PM
The fact that everyone in WWE has held one of their multiple world titles and they have a bunch of guys pushing 10 reigns killed the things.

ANT
October 1st, 2010, 9:19 PM
The fact that everyone in WWE has held one of their multiple world titles and they have a bunch of guys pushing 10 reigns killed the things.

I know. WWE went for short, shock titles reigns because everyone shitted on their long title reigns they made for Batista, Cena, HHH, and JBL.

That and that stupid briefcase.

Cewsh
October 1st, 2010, 9:19 PM
WHO GIVES A CRAP IF NO ONE WATCHES?!?!?!

What do you not get about that? They have to try something new because what they have is obviously not working.

Fan reactions are an excellent indicator as to who to push. Which is why they should depush Cena.

So if this isn't working, and doing something else makes it work even less, what's the sense in that exactly?

Defrost
October 1st, 2010, 9:23 PM
Again, bullshit.

The last two weeks RAW ratings plummeted, and Cena wasn't near the title those two shows. He's not in a title match at HIAC either, and I don't forsee a good buyrate there either.

By your logic, Orton should be sent to the undercard immediately. Don't give me that everyone is tired of one person bullshit. Ratings drop for many reasons and they've been dropping for a while, there is absolutely no suggestions in this thread would change that. Especially not taking possibly your top or second guy and throwing him in the undercard.

WCW died because it was the same shit over and over and interest plummeted. We have been getting the Cena/HHH/Orton/Edge deal for 3 times as long as WCW took to burn people out on their company. What does that tell you?

The best thing that ever happen to the WWF was when everyone took off for WCW or went home and in 1996 all they had was Shawn and Taker forcing them to push anyone new. The best thing that could happen to WWE now is for Cena, Orton, Edge, HHH, and Undertaker to fuck off and never be seen again.

xpacnumber1fan
October 1st, 2010, 9:27 PM
Again, bullshit.

Please explain to me how "the ratings have been going down for a while" is an argument against fans being tired of WWE pushing the same guys at the top for years.

Fans will eventually get tired of the same faces at the top. That's just a fact. WWE have not provided new faces at the top. Yes they have in the past couple of months pushed some new heels. But fans, for the most part, do not pay for heels.

Stop twisting my words like pushing some midcard faces will solve all of WWE's problems. Like I said before, it will just be a way to freshen up stale programming, and it will help one of WWE's main problems. Who knows if one of the midcard guys they have is the next mega face if they don't actually try and push them like one?

Do you honestly think "OH WELL CENA WAS AWAY FOR TWO WEEKS AND LOOK THE RATINGS STILL WENT DOWN" is an argument? Does that sound logical to you?

So if this isn't working, and doing something else makes it work even less, what's the sense in that exactly?

What's this something else they have tried that makes it work even less?

ANT
October 1st, 2010, 9:39 PM
Stop twisting my words like pushing some midcard faces will solve all of WWE's problems. Like I said before, it will just be a way to freshen up stale programming, and it will help one of WWE's main problems. Who knows if one of the midcard guys they have is the next mega face if they don't actually try and push them like one?

You said Cena should be depushed to the undercard and you already said R-Truth or Christian should be pushed to the main event.

There's no twisting there. You said both. I say thats unbelievably stupid, and WWE has absolutely no reason to consider such actions. "Its Fresh" doesn't cut it, not for something that drastic.

You don't just push guys and get rid of your over ones because they 'might could possibly be' the next mega face. Thats not how it works.

They get over, THEN you put them in the main event. Once R-Truth or Christian or Evan Bourne start outpopping Cena and Orton, then go right ahead and pull the trigger. Thats how it worked before they thought giving the title to everyone would work.

Austin was ridiculous over before long before the HBK match. Cena and Batista were outpopping everyone on their brands before their Royal Rumble finish. Edge was getting the best heat on the roster after hooking up with Lita.

Its overness, then main event, then title. Not the other way around.

Defrost
October 1st, 2010, 9:42 PM
You said Cena should be depushed to the undercard and you already said R-Truth or Christian should be pushed to the main event.

There's no twisting there. You said both. I say thats unbelievably stupid, and WWE has absolutely no reason to consider such actions. "Its Fresh" doesn't cut it, not for something that drastic.

You don't just push guys and get rid of your over ones because they 'might could possibly be' the next mega face. Thats not how it works.

They get over, THEN you put them in the main event. Once R-Truth or Christian or Evan Bourne start outpopping Cena and Orton, then go right ahead and pull the trigger. Thats how it worked before they thought giving the title to everyone would work.

Austin was ridiculous over before long before the HBK match. Cena and Batista were outpopping everyone on their brands before their Royal Rumble finish. Edge was getting the best heat on the roster after hooking up with Lita.

You can't keep doing what is not drawing based on crowd pops. Your company will go out of business doing that.

ANT
October 1st, 2010, 9:45 PM
You can't keep doing what is not drawing based on crowd pops. Your company will go out of business doing that.

You also can't take your most popular guys who you already know can handle the main event and are still pretty young and say "Fuck them" because maybe, possibly, in some fantasy some of the other guys might could really be big even though they're not.

Defrost
October 1st, 2010, 9:46 PM
They aren't popular. That's the point.

ANT
October 1st, 2010, 9:47 PM
They are the most popular guys on the roster.

xpacnumber1fan
October 1st, 2010, 9:50 PM

They should push them to main event. I didn't say tommorow. I don't see how its stupid to push some of your most popular wrestlers to main event. What exactly do you suggest WWE do?

Defrost
October 1st, 2010, 9:51 PM
Because they refuse to push anyone else. That's like saying WCW was right to have Hacksaw Duggan squash Steve Austin because he got a pop. Everyone knew Austin had immense talent back then.

The fact is WWE ratings are below the USA average. WWE ads don't bring in the same ad revenue of shows with the same ratings. USA was the only network to show interest in RAW when the Spike contract came up. If WWE ever loses TV they are done. The company is finished just like WCW was when it lost TV. Do I need to draw you a map?

TheSupremeForce
October 1st, 2010, 9:51 PM
Cena doesn't actually need to be involved in ten ppv main events a year in order to remind us that he's the most over guy on the roster. That's lazy booking, which is a huge part of their problem at the moment.

No one else can get really over as a face, but how much of that is because of the "Cena must main event everything" mentality? Orton became a top face almost by accident.
With the way the WWE books things, the Miz is more likely to become the next big face than any of the actual faces on the roster.

xpacnumber1fan
October 1st, 2010, 9:53 PM
They are the most popular guys on the roster.

And it will remain that way until WWE gets behind some new faces. You think Cena and Batista got to the top without the help of good booking?

ANT
October 1st, 2010, 9:58 PM
Because they refuse to push anyone else. That's like saying WCW was right to have Hacksaw Duggan squash Steve Austin because he got a pop. Everyone knew Austin had immense talent back then.

They don't refuse to push anyone else. They did try to push other people. RVD was a druggy. Jeff Hardy was a druggy. Lashley got injured. Kennedy kept getting injured. Sheamus is actually sticking around. Its not their fault Cena, Orton, Edge, and Batista were the guys who didn't fuck up their pushes.

xpacnumber1fan
October 1st, 2010, 10:19 PM
They don't refuse to push anyone else. They did try to push other people. RVD was a druggy. Jeff Hardy was a druggy. Lashley got injured. Kennedy kept getting injured. Sheamus is actually sticking around. Its not their fault Cena, Orton, Edge, and Batista were the guys who didn't fuck up their pushes.

4 guys in 5 years? That disproves his point?

And by the way, by all accounts Lashley left because he couldn't stand Hayes. With good reason too. And he also said when he came back from injury WWE told him they didn't have anything for him.

Cewsh
October 1st, 2010, 10:21 PM
I thought he left because his fiance got herself fired.

ANT
October 1st, 2010, 10:23 PM
Thats 4 guys in 5 years that failed. You're not counting the 4 I mentioned that didn't, plus Sheamus this year and maybe Barrett. There's only so many guys that get that real main event push per year. Most of the time its 1 or 2 people a year.

xpacnumber1fan
October 1st, 2010, 10:32 PM
I thought he left because his fiance got herself fired.

Apparently because she didn't want to participate in a controversial angle and wanted to go to Raw with Lashley.

Thats 4 guys in 5 years that failed. You're not counting the 4 I mentioned that didn't, plus Sheamus this year and maybe Barrett. There's only so many guys that get that real main event push per year. Most of the time its 1 or 2 people a year.

When I said 4 guys, I meant 4 faces. And I was talking about the "failed" pushes.

And other than Kennedy, none of those pushes failed. They all got over to main event level. Backstage it didn't work out, but thats a different story. Fans dont cheer guys based on what they do backstage.

And again, other than Kennedy, all of them left WWE on their own terms. WWE would have resigned both RVD and Jeff but they didn't want to.

ANT
October 1st, 2010, 10:36 PM
That doesn't change my point.

Its not that they didn't let anyone get over Cena/HHH/Orton. Its that the guys they tried to do that with didn't work out for whatever reasons.

HHH tried his damnedest to get Hardy over as a main eventer. I think he almost a year doing that on RAW and Smackdown.

They fed Cena, their 'top guy', to the wolves at an ECW show to give RVD a huge win so he could carry his own freaking brand.

They let Lashley dominate and he got injured in the middle of his Cena feud. And Kennedy just couldn't get it together whenever they tried.

They had Kofi go after Orton, and for various reasons, that didn't work out. They teased Ted turning on Orton, and the crowd instead wanted Orton the beat the hell out of his lackeys.

xpacnumber1fan
October 1st, 2010, 10:46 PM
That doesn't change my point.

Its not that they didn't let anyone get over Cena/HHH/Orton. Its that the guys they tried to do that with didn't work out for whatever reasons.

HHH tried his damnedest to get Hardy over as a main eventer. I think he almost a year doing that on RAW and Smackdown.

They fed Cena, their 'top guy', to the wolves at an ECW show to give RVD a huge win so he could carry his own freaking brand.

They let Lashley dominate and he got injured in the middle of his Cena feud. And Kennedy just couldn't get it together whenever they tried.

They had Kofi go after Orton, and for various reasons, that didn't work out. They teased Ted turning on Orton, and the crowd instead wanted Orton the beat the hell out of his lackeys.

That's fine. Those are all good examples of good booking. But my point is that it's not enough. They've had years and that's the best they can do? If the guys they did it with didn't work out, you go to other guys. The pushes obviously worked and the guys obviously got over.

It's not like anyone not named HHH, Cena, or Batista can't get over as a face. Even when they had main event faces like Rey Mysterio and Kane on Raw they did nothing with them.

And Kofi didn't work out because of their own booking.

People like Defrost and myself shouldn't say that the WWE refuses to get behind any face that's not already a top guy because some people tend to take that literally. We should say WWE almost never pushes any new faces solidly to the top.

TapOut
October 1st, 2010, 11:10 PM
The problem is they just seem scared to try something new.

I like Sheamus, and am glad he's solidifying himself as a main eventer, but I don't like the path they took to get him there. Unlike Lashley, Kofi, Jeff Hardy and other guys they pushed or tried to push, Sheamus was forced on you. There was no legitimate reason for him to be in or stay in the main event scene. It's good that people are warming to him, including myself, but I stopped buying PPV's for 9 months because of it.

Meanwhile, they have Cena who is a face, has been a face for 6 years, and there are countless things they can do to create totally new scenarios by having him turn heel. They won't do it. What could they lose? The ratings are already nearing as dangerously low as they could or should go.

Smiddy
October 2nd, 2010, 6:56 AM
Originally posted by Cewsh

Okay Vince McMahon. :rolleyes:

It works both ways. The audience needs to be exposed to what WWE has on offer, and fans will react accordingly. If something gets over, then they do know what they want, and it is evidenced by drawing additional fans to the audience, and building and building until it finally wears thin. Stone Cold Steve Austin is a perfect example of this.

The problem with WWE is that the entire format of their presentation has worn thin, beaten like a dead horse, and no longer displays the undying frills of sex and violence to distract from that. It doesn't come down to a matter of who will save WWE from mediocrity, it comes down to them re-inventing the wheel, and the UFC beat them to it. They should be going back to the drawing board, but they're so self-absorbed that they're in a constant state of denial.

Cewsh
October 2nd, 2010, 10:32 AM
I'm pretty honored to be compared the the most successful individual in the history of professional wrestling.

xpacnumber1fan
October 2nd, 2010, 11:42 AM
When its a negative quality of his that they are comparing you to, you shouldnt be. You are pretty quick to point out that Bischoff made a ton of money. You're right. Bischoff coukd be considered the second most successful wrestling promoter in US history. He's also number 1 on the list of biggest failures.

I meant to ask you, what do you mean that fans don't know what they want? I want to understand where you are coming from.

nz19
October 2nd, 2010, 12:08 PM
I don't think it is the stars at all who have failed it is the storylines and booking that has been by far the most badly managed this year specifically to set people up for some great feuds and get their level raised up a notch.

Drew McIntyre is an example of this - he is clearly a talented wrestler but has hardly had any memorable matches at all and is now being paired with Cody Rhodes, yet he's the chosen one, so why haven't they executed on that?

Kofi Kingston is a great high flyer, I guess he appeals to the younger crowd but they put him up against Orton as a face going up against Orton as a heel when Orton is clearly more popular and liked than Kofi, so that's like feeding him to the sharks.

It works both ways. The audience needs to be exposed to what WWE has on offer, and fans will react accordingly. If something gets over, then they do know what they want, and it is evidenced by drawing additional fans to the audience, and building and building until it finally wears thin. Stone Cold Steve Austin is a perfect example of this.

I agree with this to some level, a lot has changed - so many of the top stars are now gone that include HHH, Batista, Shawn Michaels, so to find out who will take their place they have to test the waters and try new things. 2010 should have been the grounds to do this because they needed to develop probably 2 or 3 top stars in Shawn Michaels place since there is likely not going to be someone to take his place in terms of popularity, peformance and sending the fans home happy after a pay per view.

John Morrison was compared to HBK - he is horrible on the mic, he should have a manager or someone just take the lead and set him up for one liners before he tries to go off on the mic. He is gradually developing his character into something else but it seems to be taking too long. They tried to portray his training regime as who he is but that failed to get him going and a lot of that has to do with his weird entrance and lack of charisma.

The Miz who at one point was on a roll winning the US Title and at Wrestlemania the Money in the Bank ladder match, might still be on the right path but it certainly hasn't helped him to start feuding with Daniel Bryan who is a rookie in WWE's world but is already stepping right over him...why?

Michael Cole is part of that - the guy has become too overbearing as a heel commentator by constantly burying certain wrestlers and yeah a lot of times that would happen a while back but there isn't anyone to counter his comments on Raw since Jerry Lawler is making attempts but seems to be holding back on defending the credentials of certain wrestlers. At least on NXT, you have Josh Matthews to counter what Cole has to say but that also has to be done on Raw so that the show can become more enjoyable again.

Overall, the biggest weaknesses of WWE are their commentary on Raw, the weakness of the storylines and booking of matches, and the focus on some major new stars where they get a solid 2-3 months at least to go from midcarder to legitimate top star by main eventing at an upcoming pay per view.

One last thing I forgot to mention is how the nexus storyline has had so many holes in it and was so boring when it could have been 10 x better and more successful might finally be going somewhere by having Cena actually join the group or have it disbanded. Other than Wade Barrett who deserves at this point his spot moving forward, the other guys have looked weak and do not take any chances for themselves to shine.

Kaval is someone who I think is on a very good path and if given the chance to put on amazing feuds can get there fast!

Cewsh
October 2nd, 2010, 6:17 PM
When its a negative quality of his that they are comparing you to, you shouldnt be. You are pretty quick to point out that Bischoff made a ton of money. You're right. Bischoff coukd be considered the second most successful wrestling promoter in US history. He's also number 1 on the list of biggest failures.

I meant to ask you, what do you mean that fans don't know what they want? I want to understand where you are coming from.

In what way, precisely, is Bischoff a failure?

And I explained about the fans already. They get caught up in the moment and think in the short term, almost by definition. A mob of people doesn't look a year ahead. Wrestling bookers need to.

Defrost
October 2nd, 2010, 6:46 PM

In his 25 years in the business there are only like 3 that could be called successful.

xpacnumber1fan
October 2nd, 2010, 6:56 PM

He was responsible for the downward spiral that caused a business that made as much money as WCW to shut down?

And I explained about the fans already. They get caught up in the moment and think in the short term, almost by definition. A mob of people doesn't look a year ahead. Wrestling bookers need to.

In that sense, yeah. In terms of storylines fans are always going to want the face to win, and obviously that isn't wise to do.

But the fans know what they want and you can't force feed them crap thinking that you know better. The fans are ultimately the ones whose vote matters since they are the ones taking out their wallets.

TapOut
October 2nd, 2010, 7:22 PM

Eric was great, but he ran a company that he himself had built up pretty well into the ground. They built up stars like Eddie Guerrero, Chris Benoit, Booker T, Chris Jericho and Goldberg, but because they absolutely handed out money and power like water to established WWF guys, those guys they pushed never really got into the spotlight like they should have, and there were even top-notch talent like Sting, Savage, Flair and others who were misused in the process.

You could probably call Bischoff a successful failure, or a failed success. It's a damn shame because he really do a lot to put WCW on the map, the problem is they went from southern company to major national brand to a dying and dead company int he span of about 5 or 6 years. It's crazy.

In Bisch's defense, he did get fired while WCW was still salvageable, maybe, but the downfall started probably even before the success started.

Cewsh
October 2nd, 2010, 7:48 PM
I'm not saying WCW didn't decline after awhile. But he was not the man running it when it well and truly FAILED. If Vince was considered a failure for every down period in WWE then that wouldn't be fair, so why is this? Nash, Russo, and finally Johnny Ace drove it into the ground and killed it.

The only person who has ever beaten, or even competed, with Vince McMahon since Hulkamania hit, is Eric Bischoff.

xpacnumber1fan
October 2nd, 2010, 8:11 PM
Because the guaranteed contracts and most of the money spent were Bischoff's doing. Other than Russo in 2000, Bischoff in 1999 lost more money than any other wrestling promotion in pretty much history.

TapOut
October 2nd, 2010, 9:34 PM
^Exactly. The seeds for WCW's demise were planted even before it became successful. WCW only made money what, 2 or 3 years? If that? I think they made a couple hundred million one year and the very next year lost the same amount, or more? What a quick downfall. This was while WCW was still on Eric's watch.

I don't think they should have fired him... there's a remote possibility that things could have turned around, but that's just a fantasy. We'll never know, but I also think Nash was a big reason for the downfall as well (maybe more than Hogan) and his power came from Eric.

nz19
October 3rd, 2010, 4:32 PM
Eric Bischoff is known for his creative ideas - and that includes nWo, having Nitro go live on Mondays against raw among other things. What came afterward was not relevant because had it not been for the merger, wCw would have kept on going.

If he was a failure, he would not be in TNA today, he would not have been hired by Vince to be the GM of raw and he would not have the friends that he has today in the business.

People blame Russo, Nash and Hogan a lot more for the demise of wCw than Bischoff and rightfully so, they built their success around taking down Vince and when they did that, whatever came after didn't matter because they achieved their goal.

Bischoff was an asshole and he made a lot of bad decisions along the way but he is by no stretch of the imagination a failure.

RockOverBoston
October 3rd, 2010, 6:31 PM
Eric Bischoff is known for his creative ideas - and that includes nWo, having Nitro go live on Mondays against raw among other things.

Worth noting is that the last anyone checked, he directly stole both of those ideas from other sources.

Cewsh
October 3rd, 2010, 6:32 PM
nz19 is on my side of the argument.

Therefore I accept that I am wrong.

JRSlim21
October 4th, 2010, 11:59 AM
For you baseball & sports fans, there's 1 thing I always respected about George Steinbrenner. When it comes to winning, there was no limit to his checkbook. There have been years when the Yankees have won & the team is in the black. I think of WCW as a cheap imitation of that, with Bischoff the GM and Ted Turner as Steinbrenner. Turner was willing to just give money away cause for some reason he trusted Bischoff after a certain point. And we know the stories of the ridiculous contracts. Jericho basically earned big money on a gamble on his end. Now, picture the Yankees winning that 96 series (coincidentally, that's when the nWo came out). Steinbrenner knew money was gonna come in even more but he started spending to make sure the team was the best. Now picture Steinbrenner selling the team or being replaced with some frugal bastard (I'm not calling Brad Siegel this but using for convo's sake) and that money getting re-allocated to everything not on the field baseball related. That is a big contributor in the beginning of the demise of WCW. Yes, there's a multitude of things that wen't wrong, but that's 1 thing to truly consider.

Defrost
October 4th, 2010, 7:04 PM
1.7 rating for Smackdown. LOLWWE.

TapOut
October 4th, 2010, 8:02 PM
Not surprising for a first week move. Doesn't that usually happen when the shows switch stations?

Anaconda Sniper
October 4th, 2010, 11:19 PM

Thats actually higher than I thought it was going to be. I figured it was going to be like a 1.3/1.4 rating.

Beer-Belly
October 5th, 2010, 12:20 AM

You waste your time paying attention to something that you hate. LOLDEFROST.

Beer-Belly
October 5th, 2010, 12:49 AM
By the way, Raw still gets a better rating than a lot of cable TV shows.

Once the Linda for Senate stuff is over, they'll probably stretch the TV-PG rating as far as they can.

I think the shows have been quite strong lately. Fuck the Nielsen ratings. They are bull-shit. http://io9.com/5636210/how-the-nielsen-tv-ratings-work--and-what-could-replace-them?skyline=true&s=i

RockOverBoston
October 5th, 2010, 1:09 AM
Just so that you don't continue linking to that article, most of the key points in it are either extremely dated or have been debunked altogether. It seems that the author was pissed off about a favorite show of his being canceled and, understandably, decided to try and out the entire Nielsen system. Unfortunately, he countered some of his strongest points with quotes from yesteryear, stats that haven't been true in several decades, and pictures of equipment that hasn't been used anywhere in years.

Not that it's not still a flawed system, but Nielsen ratings are far more effective of a measure of overall viewing now than they were just 10 years ago.

Judas Iscariot
October 5th, 2010, 1:35 AM
That's what she said.

Beer-Belly
October 5th, 2010, 1:48 AM
Just so that you don't continue linking to that article, most of the key points in it are either extremely dated or have been debunked altogether. It seems that the author was pissed off about a favorite show of his being canceled and, understandably, decided to try and out the entire Nielsen system. Unfortunately, he countered some of his strongest points with quotes from yesteryear, stats that haven't been true in several decades, and pictures of equipment that hasn't been used anywhere in years.

Not that it's not still a flawed system, but Nielsen ratings are far more effective of a measure of overall viewing now than they were just 10 years ago....

God damnit.

Still, I think some of the points are valid. Why do only certain households get Nielsen jibbery-joobs? There's got to be a better way.

RockOverBoston
October 5th, 2010, 1:58 AM
See, that's one of the key parts that's dated/debunked. As it stands right now, all digital receivers are capable of, and by most accounts actually are, storing the data of what you're watching, and returning to sender for overall compilation. This is why we have overnight ratings now, whereas 10 years ago, that was a total impossibility.

Beer-Belly
October 5th, 2010, 2:14 AM
Shit.

Still, Raw doesn't do to poorly against other cable shows.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/46849