PDA

View Full Version : THE DARK TOWER Movies and TV Series

Pages : [1] 2

Judas Iscariot
September 15th, 2010, 1:15 AM
OH MY FUCKING GOD.

http://screenrant.com/dark-tower-movie-trilogy-tv-series-ross-77542/

The Dark Tower series, a 7 book series by Stephen King that also ties in several of his other books into quite possibly the most spell-binding stories that I've ever read in my entire life, is being made into something ABSURD.

For those unfamiliar with the story, The Dark Tower is about a man named Roland Deschain, the "last of the gunslingers," who are the last defenders of honor in a world that has moved on from its peak and plumetted into a hell that has enveloped the entire world, once which is weakening as it overlaps itself in different states of existence.

When the world falls apart around him, he embarks on a quest for the Dark Tower to right things that simply can't be described accurately; in fact, my previous paragraph doesn't do any justice to anything. It entails terrible heartbreak, acts of courage, and the epic quest that it draws its primary inspiration from (Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came).

Suffice it to say, the series took King decades to finish and was, in fact, the first thing he ever started writing, it just took him that long to knock off.

The series is being made into an absolutely CRAZY movie/TV series combination fronted by Ron Howard and Akiva Goldsman.

Three movies are going to be made and two TV seasons.

After the first movie, an entire season is going to follow, leading up to the second movie. After that, an entire second season followed by the third movie.

I am going to fucking faint.

Fro
September 15th, 2010, 1:32 AM
I should probably start reading it.

Judas Iscariot
September 15th, 2010, 1:39 AM
You don't even know. It was recently adapted into a series of completely awesome graphic novels (novellas?) that aren't worth reading until after you finish the series, because once you know everything that's gone on the graphic novels approach the story in a totally new direction that obviously tells the same story but does so in a way that fits just right, if that makes any sense.

This format open up some sick instances because a lot of the books rely on flashbacks, so there can be entire episodes that refer to one flashback.

I swear to God, this is incredible and is the ONLY way that this could have possibly been adapted.

Bad Collin
September 15th, 2010, 4:34 AM
This sounds amazing, I love those books and it should work really well in this format.

Alf
September 15th, 2010, 4:59 AM
Awesomeness. Ron Howard? Interesting.

Who would you cast as Roland? I've said it before...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_6hyT3uWVOak/SlfpzT7MzbI/AAAAAAAAAoE/hlMPvuSxwoc/s400/stephen-moyer-blood_l.jpg

terencestamp7
September 15th, 2010, 11:41 AM
I can't wait for the next book to come out. Stephen King is my lifelong hero.

Judas Iscariot
September 15th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Viggo Mortensen.

http://www.bluecorncomics.com/pics/hidalgo.jpg

http://www.awardspicks.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/the-road_l1.jpg

I think it would be easy for him to separate himself from Aragorn and he's a scruffy badass to boot.

Mik
September 15th, 2010, 3:59 PM
I'll watch Viggo in anything.

Judas Iscariot
September 15th, 2010, 4:05 PM
Between Sean Bean in Game of Thrones and Viggo in a movie and series, your spank bank would be filled for years.

Have you read this series, Mik? Seems like something that would be up your alley.

Mark84j
September 15th, 2010, 4:09 PM
Viggo Mortensen.

http://www.bluecorncomics.com/pics/hidalgo.jpg

http://www.awardspicks.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/the-road_l1.jpg

I think it would be easy for him to separate himself from Aragorn and he's a scruffy badass to boot.

Yeah Vig was my original guy to play Roland. Back when I liked the Series. :p

Judas Iscariot
September 15th, 2010, 4:12 PM
I just found out that he's going to be writing another book that takes place between Wizard and Glass and Wolves of the Calla.

Fabulous.

Gary J
September 15th, 2010, 4:25 PM
Ed Harris should be Roland.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2008/09/24/2008200201.gif

I am very excited about this news always wanted to see The Dark Tower made into a live action Movie/TV Series.

Alf
September 15th, 2010, 4:42 PM
Between Sean Bean in Game of Thrones and Viggo in a movie and series, your spank bank would be filled for years.

Have you read this series, Mik? Seems like something that would be up your alley.

I keep telling him too but he's being a bender about it.

I'm trying to get him to read Game Of Thrones too because that is massively up his ginger ally.

Alf
September 15th, 2010, 4:44 PM
Ed Harris should be Roland.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2008/09/24/2008200201.gif

I am very excited about this news always wanted to see The Dark Tower made into a live action Movie/TV Series.

Very, very good shout.

I'd love Viggo to do it but can't see it happening.

How about Eddie and Susannah?

Mik
September 15th, 2010, 4:58 PM

I keep telling him too but he's being a bender about it.

I'm trying to get him to read Game Of Thrones too because that is massively up his ginger ally.

Its just too long. I cant commit to such a long series of books. I'd kill myself when I finished them all.

Gary J
September 15th, 2010, 4:58 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Thandi Newton as Susannah.

Judas Iscariot
September 15th, 2010, 5:32 PM
Its just too long. I cant commit to such a long series of books. I'd kill myself when I finished them all.

At least the series reached a conclusion and every book actually progresses the story a good deal.

Have you read the Wheel of Time? I stopped after the fourth book because he just kept writing more and more and more and I wanted for it to be finished before I committed.

Then he fucked off and died before the finale.

Still highly recommend it The Dark Tower, though.

And I didn't think of Ed Harris. He would be pretty fantastic. I'm pretty positive that whoever gets cast int he roles will be pretty much no-namers that burst onto the scene because of the movies/series.

Can't see many stars committing to multiple movies and multiple seasons of a TV show, especially since it's being filmed like Lord of the Rings all at once.

MASSIVE undertaking for everyone involved.

I can see someone like that taking on rolls of The Man in Black and other badass characters that make appearances like that.

Mik
September 15th, 2010, 6:00 PM
Righto. I'll either read The Dark Tower series next, or the other ones Alf was banging on about.

Zyphlin
September 15th, 2010, 9:07 PM
Three movies are going to be made and two TV seasons.

Holy Fuck Holy Fuck Holy Fuck

I just found out that he's going to be writing another book that takes place between Wizard and Glass and Wolves of the Calla.

Fabulous.

Stop it, I can't take this kind of shit. Next you're going to tell me someone finally ran George R. R. Martin over with a van and it caused him to pump out A Dance with Dragons and is already halfway through the 6th book. In which case the world would then explode.

Holy fuck, awesome.

Yes to Viggo btw, seriously yes.

That or find a way to go back in time and steal young Clint.

Alf
September 16th, 2010, 4:52 AM

That's such a wankers excuse mate. You sound like blood. You are missing out on consuming a great peice of media and you are crying off because it's a bit too long?

What the fuck?

The first book is a bit slow going but the second book will hook you big time.

You've really disappointed me with this stance Mik. And I shan't forget it.

Mik
September 16th, 2010, 8:09 AM
That's such a wankers excuse mate. You sound like blood. You are missing out on consuming a great peice of media and you are crying off because it's a bit too long?

What the fuck?

The first book is a bit slow going but the second book will hook you big time.

You've really disappointed me with this stance Mik. And I shan't forget it.

I dont have time to read such long books you fuckfuck.

Also...

Righto. I'll either read The Dark Tower series next, or the other ones Alf was banging on about.

I've already fucking said I'll read them. You silly fuckshit. I'll probably read Game of Thrones first.

terencestamp7
September 16th, 2010, 8:31 AM
I'm going to re-read the series in preperation. Can't wait.

Alf
September 16th, 2010, 9:08 AM
I dont have time to read such long books you fuckfuck.

Also...

I've already fucking said I'll read them. You silly fuckshit. I'll probably read Game of Thrones first.

Well, thank you. All I ask is that you read what I tell you to read in an effort to enrich your ginger life.

Pete Cash
September 19th, 2010, 2:57 AM
The Dark Tower is one of the finest examples of an author losing control of a story. Still the first book in the series is a fantasy classic. Utter brilliance.

Judas Iscariot
September 19th, 2010, 3:44 AM
Over the course of a couple of decades, insane drug addiction and nearly dying, yeah, I'd have to agree with that to a point.

But if you're willing to totally give yourself over to the madness that results, there's really no parallel.

It should definitely be noted that the reader has to completely suspend everything and give themselves over to the story, though. It wound up becoming something absurd and beautiful.

I would recommend spoilers regarding plot from here on, since I'm positive there's discussion to be had here on plot and how it could be adapted and yadda yadda yadda.

Alf
September 19th, 2010, 6:05 AM
The Dark Tower is one of the finest examples of an author losing control of a story. Still the first book in the series is a fantasy classic. Utter brilliance.

I've said it before, but King simply cannot finish off a book in a satisfactory way. Saying that I love the end of The Dark Tower.

In what way do you think he lost control of the story? I know that it kind of spirals into something huge and there re inconsistencies, but I reckon what came out of it is pretty superb, and I think his losing control works, it's not as if he lost control and the series turned into a mess.

And remember. It's the turtle talking... not King ;)

For me there is some absolute brilliance in there, I put Wolves Of The Calla, Wizard and Glass, and The Drawing Of The Three above The Gunslinger.

Mik
September 19th, 2010, 6:40 AM

Aw man, dont say that.

Bad Collin
September 19th, 2010, 6:53 AM
There were certain parts which didn't sit right with me writing himself into the story ffs. but yeah, I think that the majority of the weird bits work.

Alf
September 19th, 2010, 6:53 AM
There were certain parts which didn't sit right with me writing himself into the story ffs. but yeah, I think that the majority of the weird bits work.

Ohhhhhh yeah.... forgot about that. Totally agree.

Judas Iscariot
September 19th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Aw man, dont say that.

Don't listen to him, he just gets off on trying to ruin everything for everyone.

Judas Iscariot
September 19th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Ohhhhhh yeah.... forgot about that. Totally agree.

I wasn't digging that at first, either, until I gave it some thought. The story's about intertwining universes existing at the same time, so by writing himself in it's like he's suggesting that a writer's mind is just another avenue for those universes to cross paths. I think it's actually pretty cool.

Bad Collin
September 19th, 2010, 11:21 AM
He could have used another writer

Pete Cash
September 20th, 2010, 8:51 AM
Don't listen to him, he just gets off on trying to ruin everything for everyone.

No, I would highly recommend Mik read the first books in the series, its just gonna slowly go a bit mental.

A huge nerd such as mik should have already read it. It is super fly awesome. I might re-read them actually.

Judas Iscariot
September 20th, 2010, 9:56 AM
I like to the think the going mental part was on purpose, since everything in the universe is going mental.

Perhaps I give King too much of the benefit of the doubt.

Mik
September 20th, 2010, 1:38 PM
No, I would highly recommend Mik read the first books in the series, its just gonna slowly go a bit mental.

A huge nerd such as mik should have already read it. It is super fly awesome. I might re-read them actually.

I've read a surprisingly few nerdy books. I'd wager that I've read more books that you consider to be top quality than I have ones you consider to be nerdified.

Judas Iscariot
September 20th, 2010, 1:39 PM
Reading ANYTHING is for nerds.

MTR
September 20th, 2010, 1:56 PM
I have tried to read this whole series and just can't do it. I think I made it halfway through Wizard and Glass. There were times I couldn't put the books down and times I just couldn't continue. I just gave up.

My wife has read them all though and loved them.

I am definitely interested to see how this movie and tv series works out though.

Zyphlin
September 24th, 2010, 12:05 AM
My only issue was with the kid at the end, and that was only because I had so thought I was positive who the kid would wind up being and what it would mean and the type of impact it would have..........and he just turned out to be some shitty annoying kid that was boring as crap.

That said, there is a thesis in waiting in that book for any English reader that wants to do it focusing around the theme of addiction and how King manages to pursue and push that theme so amazingly well to the point that it actually transcends the characters and stories and enters into actual reality with the way it both gives insight into his mind with regards to the story and the way it plays and directly manipulates the readers own addiction while slapping them in the face with it.

Myles
September 24th, 2010, 1:02 AM
I like a lot of King but haven't read any of this. I read hearts of atlantis which I know has some ties to this series. The first section of that book had a character that had something to do with this series. He was being chased by men that hovered around and shit like that. I can't remember what he called himself, a stopper or holder or something of that nature.

Anyway, I love The Stand, and countless others by King so I'll start this as well.

Judas Iscariot
September 24th, 2010, 2:15 AM
I have tried to read this whole series and just can't do it. I think I made it halfway through Wizard and Glass. There were times I couldn't put the books down and times I just couldn't continue. I just gave up.

My wife has read them all though and loved them.

I am definitely interested to see how this movie and tv series works out though.

Oh man, Wizard And Glass is absolutely brilliant. As a single book it tells the most complete story of the entire series and the story that it tells is the foundation for the entire tale. I'm not embarrassed to admit I shed a tear or 40 reading it.

Again, I also HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend the graphic novels that recently came out.

In addition to usual graphic novel greatness, they tell the story by timeline instead of flashbacks, so if you read the books you get the new perspective on things, and if you didn't it's an absolutely brilliant tale starting off with Roland as a boy, which doesn't pop up until three novels in.

Absolutely wonderful, and the illustrations KICK ASS.

Myles
September 27th, 2010, 12:30 PM
I bought the gunslinger and am a third through it. We will see how this goes.

Myles
October 1st, 2010, 5:27 PM
Almost done and it is okay. Not really my style but I will continue on like the soldier that I am.

Judas Iscariot
October 1st, 2010, 5:38 PM
The Gunslinger is one long introduction. Just wait.

Bad Collin
October 2nd, 2010, 4:14 PM
Yeah, it gets better and better, then slightly worse before finishing brilliantly.

Alf
October 2nd, 2010, 4:41 PM
Have you started reading this yet Mik you dutty?

Mik
October 2nd, 2010, 4:48 PM
Yup. About 50 pages in.

Alf
October 2nd, 2010, 4:50 PM
Thank you. I need this to work for us Mik.

Myles
October 2nd, 2010, 5:14 PM
mik ill race you through the series.

Mik
October 2nd, 2010, 6:28 PM
I have an actual job, so no.

Myles
October 3rd, 2010, 12:33 AM
It's okay, I understand you're intimidated by my reading skillz.

edit: also, translating the godfather and american beauty to 15 year olds isn't much of an actual job. :lol: Handing out copies of imdb pages would suffice.

Mik
October 3rd, 2010, 6:34 AM
Nice attempt at a taunt, but frequently working 100 hours weeks educating the youth of the nation is an actual job that keeps me significantly more busy than I imagine bussing tables would, ergo I have less time to read.

In reality, I dont like reading fast anyway. I like reading a few chapters every night before going to bed as it allows my mind to switch off from the work I've been doing and helps me get to sleep.

Matty C
November 8th, 2010, 11:05 AM
I got the first 5 books in the Dark Tower series for my birthday this weekend. I'm half way through the first now and it started rough but I'm definitely being drawn in at this point. I plan to read the first few and then break for World War Z (also a gift).

I have high hopes from reading the majority of the feedback in here. I love King in general too, so that helps.

Myles
November 11th, 2010, 3:03 PM
yea im going to buy the second one today. if it doesn't improve I might ditch the series as I'm not really into fantasy.

Reech
November 12th, 2010, 9:38 AM
I got the first 5 books in the Dark Tower series for my birthday this weekend. I'm half way through the first now and it started rough but I'm definitely being drawn in at this point. I plan to read the first few and then break for World War Z (also a gift).

I have high hopes from reading the majority of the feedback in here. I love King in general too, so that helps.

I read the first book when I was 18, then lost interest.

Went back when I was 22 and got them all and completely lost myself in the story. I've now read the series 4 times through.

I love it.

Matty C
November 12th, 2010, 9:43 AM
I finished the first book. I think I'm on the fence right now. I've started the second and will probably make a good dent in it over the weekend as I'm travelling.

My initial impressions are that it's a bit clumbsy to read at times and I'm worried about the story being too far out there for me. It's early though, I like Roland and I'm still more than interested enough to keep reading. I'm interested in seeing where "the three" lead. I just got a glimpse last night.

Reech
November 12th, 2010, 9:45 AM
Halfway through the second book, I thought "THIS IS FUCKING EXCELLENT" and couldn't put it down.

I did have to read the whole series a second time to make sure I "got" it.

Myles
November 27th, 2010, 2:23 PM
yea im a third through the second book, and it has improved drastically. :yes:

Alf
November 27th, 2010, 3:40 PM
See! See Mik.

Judas Iscariot
November 30th, 2010, 12:07 AM
It's not that it improves so much that it just fucking TAKES OFF, as if the first book was one of those instrumental introductions to a song that sets it up and then when it finally hits, the moment that it hits, you go "OH HOLY FUCK."

And when you get to Wizard And Glass, it's that fucking bridge in the song you didn't expect would make you feel it in your core.

Alf
December 8th, 2010, 8:05 AM
Wizard and Glass is beautiful. Absolutely beautiful.

Matty C
December 8th, 2010, 10:05 AM
I finished the second book and am almost 200 pages into the third. I'll add my voice the chorus of people saying that the second book is where the story really takes off. I quite enjoyed it and thus far the third book is pretty damn good too.

Myles
December 8th, 2010, 2:47 PM
i took a break from the dark tower as im reading russel brands autobiography and the new douglas copeland. I know it is bad boys.

Gary J
December 8th, 2010, 3:06 PM
I finished the second book and am almost 200 pages into the third. I'll add my voice the chorus of people saying that the second book is where the story really takes off. I quite enjoyed it and thus far the third book is pretty damn good too.

You are in for a treat when you get to the fourth. It is the best in the series.

Matty C
December 20th, 2010, 12:52 PM
I finished the thid book and it was pretty good.

I wasn't sure about he inclusion of the cutesy pet but at least they haven't gone the predictable route... yet.

I like the barren landscapes and I was surprised to hear it's not just our world ruined by nuclear war, which was my working theory. It would seem that was ruled out in this book but then it could be a swerve.

I think Eddie is my favourite character thus far, aside from Super Roland of course.

I'm taking a break to read Godzilla On My Mind and perhaps World War Z over the holidays, then I'll get into the fourth.

I'm looking forward to the fourth, it's obviously rated very highly by many of the people on here.

Alf
December 20th, 2010, 1:41 PM
Skip those two. They'll wait. Plough on with the 4th.

How can you wait anyway what with the cliffhanger

terencestamp7
December 20th, 2010, 1:52 PM
I've read the first two, but that was ages ago. I think I'm going to start fresh tonight. I'm going to get a new iPhone at 7:30, so that will give me a solid 2 hours of reading from 5:30 - 7:30. Very excited about this!

I have all the books except for the last one.

Matty C
December 20th, 2010, 2:48 PM
Skip those two. They'll wait. Plough on with the 4th.

How can you wait anyway what with the cliffhanger

I read the first 3 in about a month, so I was just kind of getting burned out on it, despite enjoying the story. I know that seems like a paradox but I have trouble staying with one thing for too long. The break is needed but I can’t see it lasting past the start of the New Year.

I've read the first two, but that was ages ago. I think I'm going to start fresh tonight. I'm going to get a new iPhone at 7:30, so that will give me a solid 2 hours of reading from 5:30 - 7:30. Very excited about this!

I have all the books except for the last one.

The first drags a bit but it’s needed to set things up. Did you like the second? That’s where business starts to pick up.

terencestamp7
December 20th, 2010, 3:31 PM
I read the first 3 in about a month, so I was just kind of getting burned out on it, despite enjoying the story. I know that seems like a paradox but I have trouble staying with one thing for too long. The break is needed but I can’t see it lasting past the start of the New Year.

The first drags a bit but it’s needed to set things up. Did you like the second? That’s where business starts to pick up.

Yes, is that the one where they are on the beach and some sea monsters?

Judas Iscariot
December 20th, 2010, 3:36 PM
DAD-A-CHOCK?

Matty C
December 20th, 2010, 3:56 PM
DAD-A-CHOCK INDEED.

That's the one Terence. If you liked that one you'll like the next one even more.

terencestamp7
December 20th, 2010, 4:00 PM
Looking forward to it. I downloaded an iPhone app that gives you an end date on books, calculating in how many pages you read a day, etc. I use it as a motivator, to make sure I stick to the assigned end date or earlier.

Myles
January 19th, 2011, 1:24 PM
How anyone can enjoy reading a book, or watching a film from their phone is beyond me.

I post on here from my phone time to time and it hurts my eyes. Reading a full novel on the phone seems a bit ridiculous.

Also I picked this up again and I'm probably 2/3s through the second book. Eddie Dean is a bad ass. :yes: Liking it a lot more now.

terencestamp7
January 19th, 2011, 1:36 PM
No, I'm not reading it on the phone. I enjoy a hardcover book more than anything. I just use an app that when you begin reading, you put in the page number. When you're done, you put in the page you ended on. From there, it calculates your average pages read a day and then calculates an end date.

I do however watch Netflix on my phone. Makes the work day go by faster.

Matty C
January 19th, 2011, 2:26 PM
How anyone can enjoy reading a book, or watching a film from their phone is beyond me.

I post on here from my phone time to time and it hurts my eyes. Reading a full novel on the phone seems a bit ridiculous.

Also I picked this up again and I'm probably 2/3s through the second book. Eddie Dean is a bad ass. :yes: Liking it a lot more now.

Eddie is probably my favourite character through book 3. Book 4 really centres on Roland though and tries to build him up.

I'm about half way through Wizard and Glass now, thus far it's just aight for me. I can definitely feel it picking up steam though, so that opinion will almost certainly change in the coming days/weeks.

Judas Iscariot
January 19th, 2011, 4:12 PM
When it picks up it blows a load on your face, and you love it.

Matty C
January 19th, 2011, 4:17 PM
I look forward to that.

:lol:

Judas Iscariot
January 19th, 2011, 6:58 PM
Yeah, I figured that about you...

Alf
January 20th, 2011, 5:17 AM
Wizard and Glass... ahhh... I wish I could go back and read that again for the first time.

Love it. It's almost a perfect story.

Matty C
January 20th, 2011, 10:17 AM
They are currently exploring Citgo and there is a BURNING PASSION between two of the main characters.

I am of course talking about Cuthbert and the look out.

Myles
January 21st, 2011, 1:48 PM
Yea I'm hooked on this now. :yes:

Judas Iscariot
January 21st, 2011, 4:06 PM
Ron Howard did an interview and revealed the two front-runners to play Roland:

http://www.altfg.com/Stars/n/no-country-for-old-men-javier-bardem-1.jpg

and....

http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID22337/images/viggo_mortensen.jpg

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

I still think the latter is perfect, but the first is very intriguing.

Myles
January 21st, 2011, 4:09 PM
first doesn't work...

Judas Iscariot
January 21st, 2011, 4:12 PM
He plays the cold killer very well, and admittedly I haven't seen much of his stuff, so I don't really know the humanity he'd bring to the role.

I'm stoked to see my favorite pick at the top of the list.

Judas Iscariot
January 21st, 2011, 4:17 PM
BTW: Tentative release date for the first movie is May 17, 2013.

Guy
January 21st, 2011, 4:29 PM
I think he meant that the picture that you posted for the first guy doesn't work...

Gary J
January 21st, 2011, 4:42 PM
Still hoping for Ed Harris he would be perfect. Javier Bardem would be pretty good too i'd rather see him then Viggo.

Matty C
January 21st, 2011, 4:48 PM
Yeah, I'll take Viggo over RED X

Pablo Diablo
January 21st, 2011, 5:26 PM
It's Javier Bardem. Got that just from copying the URL though.

Mik
January 21st, 2011, 7:46 PM
Still hoping for Ed Harris he would be perfect. Javier Bardem would be pretty good too i'd rather see him then Viggo.

Dont be RIDICULOUS, Bardem cant hold a candle to Viggo. His gunslinger would just be Anton Chigurh again. Viggo's would be so layered and nuanced it would be incredible. If Mortensen is cast, I'll read all the books before the end of next month.

Judas Iscariot
January 21st, 2011, 8:26 PM
I think he meant that the picture that you posted for the first guy doesn't work...

Worked for me right up until now.

LAME.

But yeah, Bardem.

Bad Collin
January 21st, 2011, 8:29 PM
Viggo is such a fantasy cliche.

Judas Iscariot
January 21st, 2011, 8:50 PM
Viggo is the walking embodiment of MANHOOD.

Have you seen Eastern Promises? He is bad ass crazy motherfucker personified, which Roland is, but he also has the depth of humanity to capture everything else the character is about to a T.

Viggo IS Roland Deschain, there's no doubt in my mind.

Judas Iscariot
January 21st, 2011, 9:17 PM
Word on the street is Hugh Jackman and Daniel Craig are also both interested in the role.

Can't see either of them committing to how long three movies and two TV series are going to take, what with X-Men and 007 already their established franchises.

PANDEMONIUM.

EDIT:

BEVY of things I'm just reading today.

I already knew J.J. Abrams was first linked to the film (bought the rights from King for $19).

But I just found out that King actually turned down Frank Darabont when he approached him to do the films, which surprised me since he pretty much GAVE him The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile.

Gary J
January 22nd, 2011, 2:00 AM
Naomie Harris supposedly the main consideration to play Susannah.

Gary J
January 22nd, 2011, 2:07 AM
Dont be RIDICULOUS, Bardem cant hold a candle to Viggo. His gunslinger would just be Anton Chigurh again. Viggo's would be so layered and nuanced it would be incredible. If Mortensen is cast, I'll read all the books before the end of next month.

I didn't say Bardem was a better actor then Viggo i just said i would rather see Bardem play Roland as i feel i've already seen what Mortensen would do with the role.

I've only seen Bardem in No Country For Old Men and Vicky Cristina Barcelona so i would be interested in seeing what he could bring to it.

Alf
January 23rd, 2011, 7:23 PM
Naomi Harris would be perfect as Susannah.

How about Andrew Garfield as Eddie?

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2010/07/02/alg_andrew_garfield.jpg

If he could master a brooklyn accent he'd be mega.

Gary J
January 23rd, 2011, 7:36 PM
I'd like to see Sam Rockwell as Eddie.

Curly Toe
January 23rd, 2011, 7:39 PM
I've ordered the first book in the series.

Better be worth it.

Judas Iscariot
January 23rd, 2011, 8:57 PM
Just remember that the first book is a long introduction. Shit picks up afterwards, although I really do love the first book to death.

Pablo Diablo
January 23rd, 2011, 9:13 PM
And note I didn't like the first book at all but I kept reading because of the recommendation of people on here. The second book is what really hooks you.

Alf
January 24th, 2011, 8:05 AM
I'd like to see Sam Rockwell as Eddie.

Far too old. Eddie is early 20s isn't he?

Gary J
January 24th, 2011, 9:20 AM
Yeah Eddie is only in his early twenties so Rockwell would be far too old. I thought Eddie was a bit older then that but then it's been a while since i read the books.

Curly Toe
January 24th, 2011, 9:54 AM
Just remember that the first book is a long introduction. Shit picks up afterwards, although I really do love the first book to death.

And note I didn't like the first book at all but I kept reading because of the recommendation of people on here. The second book is what really hooks you.

Cheers guys.

It should arrive some time this week so it'll be added to list when it arrives.

Myles
January 24th, 2011, 1:27 PM
emile hirsch should play eddie.

Alf
January 24th, 2011, 1:28 PM
Good shout. He has the eyes.

Myles
January 24th, 2011, 1:31 PM
I have a man crush on him. Into the Wild was good, and we all know he can play a little prick like he did in that movie with JT.

He would fit the bill nicely. Plus he looks about 19 which is what is needed. Pretty sure Eddie is 21 in the book I'm reading.

Alf
January 27th, 2011, 6:23 AM
http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/114/1146182p1.html

Christian Bale mentioned...

But at the bottom is says Javier Bardem has been offered the role.

Interesting. He has the dark broodingness but he is too chunky by far.

Gary J
January 27th, 2011, 8:11 AM
That same report has Jennifer Carpenter up for Susannah so it's probably nonsense.

Mik
January 27th, 2011, 2:04 PM
Give Bale AND Viggo a role. I cant choose between them.

Gary J
January 27th, 2011, 5:33 PM
Came across a rumor today and i would advise you only click on the spoiler below if you have read all 7 books.

Rumor has it that it will actually show Roland's next cycle in his quest for the tower. He'll be starting with the Horn of Eld and we'll still see much of the same events as King's novels, however the fact that it's a different cycle gives them more license to make changes much like how J.J. Abrams did with the time-travel plot device in his STAR TREK.

Alf
January 28th, 2011, 6:37 AM
Seriously? Fucking hell...

That's actually a pretty good idea.

Pete Cash
January 28th, 2011, 8:25 AM
It is a good idea.

Thinking about it the other day the dark tower is probably my favourite mainstream fantasy work.

Myles
January 28th, 2011, 1:13 PM
I completed the 2nd book, and am about to start the third.

I enjoyed the 2nd more than the 1st, but the 2nd has also made me appreciate the first more. I'm not really into fantasy, but I will continue on with the series.

Alf
January 28th, 2011, 1:15 PM
See, I bloody told you.

Keep cracking on. It gets better.

Myles
January 28th, 2011, 1:20 PM
Eddie Dean made it for me. Also seeing more human parts of Roland was nice, and it just seemed like much more actually happened. I have the Waste Lands and almost started it last night as I couldn't put the books down, but it was 1am and I had to turn off the light.

I read the Stand in like 6 days so I should have no problem destroying this book. I still rate the Stand, Hearts in Atlantis, and other King stories over TDT so far, but then again I have barely scratched the surface. :yes:

Alf
January 28th, 2011, 1:22 PM
Hearts In Atlantis eh?

In-ter-esting............................................ .......

Myles
January 28th, 2011, 1:26 PM
I love the mix of coming of age, degenerate gambling and Nam.

I know there is some Dark Tower mixed in there, so it will be fun to read when I'm done with this story.

Also I have been told the Talisman is fantastic, is it worth a read?

Judas Iscariot
February 2nd, 2011, 2:11 AM
Looks like Bardem has signed on to be the next Bond villain, which is fucking fantastic, but I'd assume it's going to knock him out of Dark Tower contention if it's set to come out when it does.

What's this do?

I'm hoping it catapults VIGGO up a spot for the role.

At least I can dream, right?

Alf
February 2nd, 2011, 6:21 AM
I've thought about it a while... and I think Bardem would be perfect.

Matty C
February 2nd, 2011, 9:44 AM
I'm still pulling for Viggo.

I have Hearts in Atlantis in my bookshelf and never go around to it. I guess I should give it a go.

Mik
February 2nd, 2011, 3:34 PM
Not better than Viggo Alf. Nobody is better than Viggo.

Zyphlin
February 2nd, 2011, 3:52 PM
Absolutely love the thought that Gary J posted and really makes perfect sense for the movie. If they get King working with them on it as well it could add another facet of info into the whole Dark Tower lore.

Which really, in and of itself, is interesting. For all the fans on the forum I wonder what other tie in books, loose or otherwise, that people have read. I really think Insomnia is a must read for any and every Dark Tower fan.

Mik
February 10th, 2011, 6:03 PM
Righto then Alf, I've started reading The Drawing of the Three, alright?

Gary J
February 10th, 2011, 7:25 PM
Absolutely love the thought that Gary J posted and really makes perfect sense for the movie. If they get King working with them on it as well it could add another facet of info into the whole Dark Tower lore.

Which really, in and of itself, is interesting. For all the fans on the forum I wonder what other tie in books, loose or otherwise, that people have read. I really think Insomnia is a must read for any and every Dark Tower fan.

I agree with Insomnia being a must read.

Is Hearts in Atlantis tied in ? i've got it on my bookshelf but never got round to reading it but there was a post by Alf i think that seemed to suggest it was tied in with it all.

Myles
February 11th, 2011, 12:50 AM
yea parts of it is, I had no idea of the tdt when I read it and I still enjoyed it. It is more my kind of king, stories of innocence lost, gambling addiction, Viet Nam etc.

It is a solid read. :yes:

Alf
February 11th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Righto then Alf, I've started reading The Drawing of the Three, alright?

YUS! I'm claiming this as a victory.

Matty C
February 11th, 2011, 12:37 PM
I have finished Wizard and Glass. I often appreciate books more after a bit of time has passed and I am able to reflect a bit on them. At this point, I am not sure that I liked it more than book III.

I'll most likely start book V tonight.

Alf
February 12th, 2011, 5:49 PM
You are insane.

Judas Iscariot
February 12th, 2011, 7:23 PM
Legit out of his fucking mind.

Perhaps we built it up too much, Alf.

Didn't think that was possible with that particular book.

Bad Collin
February 12th, 2011, 7:33 PM
Matty C, no!

Myles
February 12th, 2011, 10:26 PM
about a third into the wastelands and I like it. This series is growing on me and it is becoming easier to just go with it and suspend belief, by book five I'll be sold, and by the end I'll probably be praising it like you boys. :yes:

Alf
February 13th, 2011, 6:32 AM
You've really upset me Matty C... I couldn't sleep last night.

Matty C
February 17th, 2011, 3:08 PM
I'm sorry Alf. Take some NyQuil, it helps. :)

As a stand alone novel, it was a good adventure, as part of the series I couldn't help wanting to get on with the main narrative. I want to know what happens to them now more than I wanted to know what happened to Roland then. I think that was my issue with it.

I almost feel like I could have read it after the series had concluded and appreciated it more.

I also didn’t like Susan much, which probably didn’t help.

Don’t read the below if you haven’t read Wizard and Glass.

When she died I wasn’t all that shook up. I felt bad for Roland but didn’t feel all that bad for her. I’m not sure why. I would have felt far worse if Sheemie had been thrown into the fire or even if Oy had been, as an example.

It was a good read, don’t get me wrong, I just wanted to get back to what was happening right now and it seemed like a really long detour. I’m generally not someone who needs a lot of back-story to invest in a character. I don’t feel much more attached to Roland now than I did before, although I suppose that could change depending on what happens to him and what memories from W&G those events conjure.

Bad Collin
February 17th, 2011, 3:12 PM
I was numb for ages when your spoiler happened, you have no heart Matty.

Matty C
February 17th, 2011, 3:14 PM
Hmmm. Maybe something is wrong with me. Watching so many B-Movie monsters killing everything in their path has perhaps robbed me of my humanity.

Does this mean I should sign up for politics?

Mik
February 17th, 2011, 3:29 PM
Alf, you'll be pleased to know that I've been reading The Drawing of the Three every night now and have blasted about half-way through the book and am thoroughly enjoying it.

Matty C
February 17th, 2011, 3:42 PM
It gets better, don't take my lukewarm reaction to Wizard and Glass the wrong way, I'm still thoroughly enjoying the series.

Bad Collin
February 17th, 2011, 3:48 PM
Mik will cry manly tears when he reads Wizard and Glass.

Zyphlin
February 17th, 2011, 5:13 PM
I agree with Insomnia being a must read.

Is Hearts in Atlantis tied in ? i've got it on my bookshelf but never got round to reading it but there was a post by Alf i think that seemed to suggest it was tied in with it all.

Yes. HiA is tied in. Specifically I think one storyline in HiA does. Its one of the "stronger" tie in's but not sure really how essential.

Insomnia might as well be a book within the series. It explains more about the way the tower works and what it is then the whole DT series almost.

I have finished Wizard and Glass. I often appreciate books more after a bit of time has passed and I am able to reflect a bit on them. At this point, I am not sure that I liked it more than book III.

I'll be honest with you. From a series stand point I enjoyed Book III more too, in part for the reason you said. Book III had me fully entrenched in their world, their group, their story, their progression....and then suddenly I'm jostled into a flashback. Book IV wasn't bad, its jockying for a top 3 spot for me, but I really enjoyed Book III.

I think part of my issue was my first read of Book IV was at a time where a lot of melodramatic teenage angst was just beginning to bug me and a lot of the stuff in that book came off in that same vein. I need to reread the whole series again, and my perception of Book IV may be different.

about a third into the wastelands and I like it. This series is growing on me and it is becoming easier to just go with it and suspend belief, by book five I'll be sold, and by the end I'll probably be praising it like you boys. :yes:

Its a good thing you'll be sold by Book 5. Its sadly the book where I've seen the most people bail out of the series on.

When she died I wasn’t all that shook up. I felt bad for Roland but didn’t feel all that bad for her. I’m not sure why. I would have felt far worse if Sheemie had been thrown into the fire or even if Oy had been, as an example.

It as a good death, but wasn't one that struck me a ton. In part because I didn't like Susan much. However I enjoyed it due to the conspiracy theorist in me when it comes to the Dark Tower work...which in turn played into why I was SO disappointed with part of Book 7.

Spoilers about Book IV and Insomnia.
Now I admit, my memories fuzzy but for the longest time my theory was that the kid from Insomnia, Patrick Danville, was actually the son of Roland and Susan. As we know, death is a potential means of traveling through worlds. Patrick's mother shares the same initials as Susan, S.D. He's also said to be named after his Grandfather, with Susan Delgado's father happening to be named Patrick as well. My memory may be off, but I almost want to say that the description of the boy early in insomnia had him with eyes similar to that of Rolands color. In the civic center scene, when he's talking about King Roland, Sonia specifically is mentioned at not hearing the entire line for seemingly little reason for her to have missed it.

Susan, dying with Roland's child, and entering another world where she gives birth to him was compelling to me and just seemed to make sense. Doubly so with the notion of the child having visions about his biological father and a prophecy that he was going to somehow be instrumental in his quest.

Spoiler for book VII
Essentially, the mirror opposite of Mordrid. A spawn of Roland on the side of the White rather than the Black or Red. Instead we just got a scared random kid that draws shit and is annoying.

Blah. The seventh book wasn't bad, but I caused it to hit a somewhat sour note due to my own high hopes of connecting strings that were apparently not there.

Matty C
February 17th, 2011, 5:17 PM
Is that last spoiler for Insomnia, book 7 or neither? I started reading it, worried it might ruin the next few books for me and stopped.

Bad Collin
February 17th, 2011, 5:20 PM
Both Matty

Zyphlin
February 17th, 2011, 5:55 PM
Yep, My bad. Let me better denote it -.- My fault.

There we go. updated it so that I let you know what book each section has a spoiler for.

Matty C
February 17th, 2011, 8:09 PM
I stopped at just about the right spot then.

Alf
February 18th, 2011, 6:04 AM
Spoiler for book VII
Essentially, the mirror opposite of Mordrid. A spawn of Roland on the side of the White rather than the Black or Red. Instead we just got a scared random kid that draws shit and is annoying.

Blah. The seventh book wasn't bad, but I caused it to hit a somewhat sour note due to my own high hopes of connecting strings that were apparently not there.[/spoiler][/spoiler]

Book 7 is supposed to be sour....

And Susan's death was devestating. It was excellent use of dramatic irony. You knew she was going to die, you knew Roland had no idea she was dying (or if he did you knew he had to continue with his duty), you knew she was waiting for him to come and save her. YOU wanted him to come and save her. And rather than the fairytale ending we are all brought up believeing, we get the harshness that she is burnt alive and Roland doesn't rescue her... heartbreaking stuff.

I think if you don't buy into the young love stuff, and if you don't like Susan, then I can see why Wizard and Glass wouldn't be amazing for you. For me, I was well into the love story and the relationship with Roland and Susan... and the way it unfolds so dramatically at the end is just brilliant....

I seriously can't wait for the Wizard and Glass movie/TV series

Mik
February 18th, 2011, 7:17 AM
Wait...how many fucking books are there in this series?

Bad Collin
February 18th, 2011, 8:10 AM
Seven. Some are quite short though.

I think I am going to stop my George Martin re-read and start reading these again instead.

Matty C
February 18th, 2011, 9:23 AM
Some are like 1,000 pages and some are like 300. The Gunslinger is easily one of the shortest in the series.

Zyphlin
February 18th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Seven direct books in the series, with a handful of others that connect in varying degree's. Some very minorly (Rose Madder, Eyes of the Dragon) and a bit some more significantly (Low Men in Yellow Coats from Hearts in Atlantis, Black House). In the case of Insomnia, I believe King's gone on record as saying the only thing that keeps it from being an official book in the series is that Roland and his Ka-tet aren't a part of it. Finally, you've got the off-shoot stories that are directly in the world such as Little Sisters of Eluria and I believe some of the graphic novels.

Its one of those things where you can read it inline, or you can try and grasp the full scope of it. For myself, I've found I don't really enjoy much of King's horror writing or his writing in general. Yet Insomnia, The Stand, and the Dark Tower series are some of my favorite books. Itsk ind of weird.

Zyphlin
February 18th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Book 7 is supposed to be sour....

Book VII Spoiler
This is true. And I'll say this, what he did at the end of book 7...while infuriating at first...was one of the greatest things I've read and something that I actually wish I was still in college to capitalize and use it as the basis for some random english class.

The over arching theme to me of the entire series is addiction. Be it obvious in your face type like Eddies to more psychological, such as Jake's need to be shown adoration from a father figure. And to cap off that entire thing by showing the read that they themselves are an addict, and that they themselves can't be truly happy until they can overcome that addiction, was masterful.

Be content with happiness, be content with closure, be content with having everything great with a little bit still unknown and you get a wonderful ending. Demand to know it all, demand to see what happens in every facet, demand to see that tower....and you find nothing but disappointment.

Alf
February 18th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Seven direct books in the series, with a handful of others that connect in varying degree's. Some very minorly (Rose Madder, Eyes of the Dragon) and a bit some more significantly (Low Men in Yellow Coats from Hearts in Atlantis, Black House). In the case of Insomnia, I believe King's gone on record as saying the only thing that keeps it from being an official book in the series is that Roland and his Ka-tet aren't a part of it. Finally, you've got the off-shoot stories that are directly in the world such as Little Sisters of Eluria and I believe some of the graphic novels.

Its one of those things where you can read it inline, or you can try and grasp the full scope of it. For myself, I've found I don't really enjoy much of King's horror writing or his writing in general. Yet Insomnia, The Stand, and the Dark Tower series are some of my favorite books. Itsk ind of weird.

He admits himself that he's not a great writer, but he makes up some good stories... even if he does tend to shit himself when it comes to writing a climax.

I really enjoyed Carrie, IT (goes mental with the ending though), Misery, The Shining, The Stand... and the Dark Tower series is one of my favourites.

Bad Collin
February 18th, 2011, 12:02 PM
I enjoyed 'Under the Dome' and 'The Stand' even if they were both too long.

Matty C
February 18th, 2011, 12:12 PM
I tend to enjoy his short stories more. He seems to do a better job ending them. Night Shift is still my favourite book.

I completely agree about him often not knowing how to end a book.

ACS
February 23rd, 2011, 1:14 PM
I enjoyed 'Under the Dome' and 'The Stand' even if they were both too long.

Honestly, I don't think The Stand was long enough.

Bad Collin
February 23rd, 2011, 1:28 PM
It could have been a series of books but for me it was too much in one go.

Judas Iscariot
February 23rd, 2011, 4:32 PM
He once completely rewrote The Stand and made it even longer in one shot while he was whacked out on drugs and booze. He doesn't remember doing it.

Zyphlin
February 23rd, 2011, 8:59 PM
Honestly, I don't think The Stand was long enough.

Have you read the extended version?

I honestly don't know if, or how much, it really extends it. Its the only version I've read.

Mik
February 24th, 2011, 6:17 AM
I should be finished The Drawing of the Three by this weekend. Have really enjoyed it rather a lot.

Alf
February 24th, 2011, 6:18 AM
YUS!

Good work Mik. I'm the eddie to your Roland.

Mik
February 24th, 2011, 6:20 AM
Ahaha. Why do I get to be Roland?

Alf
February 24th, 2011, 6:29 AM
Because you are cool, calm, tall, and deadly.

You are my hero mate.

Mik
February 24th, 2011, 6:30 AM
I do hope that Roland gets some respite soon. I cant stand to see him almost dead for another book. I think that Christian Bale would probably be even more perfect for him than Viggo would be, for the record. But I'm not sure that I could stand Bale doing another weight loss challenge, particularly as he's likely to already be doing it for another film he's doing next.

Alf
February 24th, 2011, 8:02 AM
Bale doesn't look weathered enough for me. I don't think he has the right gravitas for the role either...

I seriously think Javier Bardem could be amazing. He doesn't look too much like Roland, but I think he has that look of a tortured soul, but at the same time he can look utterly lethal.

Alf
February 24th, 2011, 8:05 AM
And I love Bale... and I know he can do 'weighty'... I just don't think it's the right type. Viggo has it. Bardem has it. Bale, not so sure.

Mik
February 24th, 2011, 8:52 AM
You might be right mate, having looked through pictures and knowing more about Roland now, I would say that Bale is too youthful. He's got a ruddy face and youthful eyes. He can do grizzled, but he doesnt look like he has age and wisdom in his face. However, looking through pictures and thinking about previous work and suchlike...there is a clear and obvious truth that shows itself:

http://www.solaceincinema.com/wp-content/uploads/bale-en-310-to-yuma.jpg

http://images.allmoviephoto.com/2007_3:10_to_Yuma/2007_3_10_to_yuma_012.jpg

http://www.obsessedwithfilm.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/javier-bardem-large.jpg

http://www.virginmedia.com/images/ncfom_chigurh_gun-431x300.jpg

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_QWOXmjFGlEM/SLlBqk2E46I/AAAAAAAAF6I/2Df_dnon__0/Deputy%20Everett%20Hitch%20(VIGGO%20MORTENSEN)%20k eeps%20order%20with%20his%20trusty%20eight-gauge%20in%20New%20Line%20Cinema%E2%80%99s%20Weste rn%20--Appaloosa.jpg

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/underwire/2009/11/road_viggo_660.jpg

http://api.ning.com/files/TboN5CgXNtdkHBD64*tc6*Sxp*a1gdECV4xmazhfiFHSogHuU7 Bm92QE7ImrN0JHF-XiLJXqQ2N*kXmJk0qoikpOR3VLPAJq/Viggo20M201.jpg

http://www.canmag.com/images/front/movies20084/appaloosa11.jpg

Viggo is the right man for this role.

Alf
February 24th, 2011, 10:15 AM
Like Aragorn, Viggo just bloody is Roland.

Mik
February 24th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Strong, heroic, calm, cold, old and grizzled, stoic, wise..it just IS Viggo.

Mik
February 24th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Oooooh. Guy Pearce would be a very good Roland too for that matter. I'm not sure that anyone would be better than Viggo though.

Zyphlin
February 24th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Next to Clint, and Clint's too old now, Viggo is the picture perfect Roland

Matty C
February 24th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Eastwood would have been a fantastic Roland. I mean, he pretty much was Roland in the spaghetti Westerns.

Mik
February 24th, 2011, 2:27 PM
It appears from my vague research that there was quite a lot of backlash from book fans for Viggo being named the favourite for the role. I hope that hasnt led to his name being taken off consideration.

Are all Stephen King fans rambling spastics or something?

Zyphlin
February 24th, 2011, 4:59 PM
Eastwood would have been a fantastic Roland. I mean, he pretty much was Roland in the spaghetti Westerns.

Amazingly late to the game, but just saw Gran Torino the other day. The indignation and bitterness he showed in that just further cemented my wish that he was a few decades younger.

Mik
March 27th, 2011, 7:47 AM
Righto Alf. Finished The Waste Lands. Onto the next one.

Enjoyed it, but took a bit longer than I expected. I'm not sure that I'm going to get through the full series without a break.

Myles
March 27th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Yea I'm a third through the fourth, and it is different, not sure I'm loving it yet.

Mik
March 27th, 2011, 1:54 PM
Thought that you were going to burn old man Mik off through these books Myles?

Myles
March 27th, 2011, 2:24 PM
The Drawing of the three I couldn't put down, but the wastelands was slow going, and this fourth one is a whole new story that hasn't grasped me.

Mik
March 27th, 2011, 4:43 PM
Haha, the marketing department fucked up a bit on the books that I've got. The books have a chapter preview of the next book at the end of the current book. Problem was that in book 4, the first chapter starts with the last chapter of book 3 repeated again (presumably as a reminder of where we are). So at the end of book 3 and the start of book 4 you get the same small chapter repeated 3 times.

Alf
March 29th, 2011, 5:37 AM
Is book 4 Wizard and Glass?

Mik
March 29th, 2011, 7:24 AM
Aye, I think so. Its the one where they defeat Blaine the pain in the riddling contest at the beginning. Pretty obvious that it would be Eddie's stupid riddles to be honest,.

Alf
March 29th, 2011, 10:09 AM
Cool, I think you'll like Wizard and Glass mikkkkkky. It's my favourite too.

Myles
March 29th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Some witch just finger banged some chick named susan so thats kinda cool.

Mik
March 29th, 2011, 3:05 PM
Are you some kind of fucking idiot?

Myles
March 30th, 2011, 1:00 AM
is that because the above is a spoiler? or because you're saying i misinterpreted the banging?

Mik
March 30th, 2011, 7:35 AM
Because you are spoiling aspects of a book that you KNOW I'm just behind you in reading, whats more you're ignoring the etiquette of the rest of the thread where everyone who has already read the entire series is marking their spoilers due to respect for the fact that people like you and myself are in this thread but have not yet read all of the books.

Myles
March 30th, 2011, 11:33 AM
I do apologize. I hate spoilers, anyway it is not an important detail and it doesn't even really happen, I was taking the piss in British terms.

From now on I'll mark everything, as small as it may be. :yes:

Guy
March 30th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Because you are spoiling aspects of a book that you KNOW I'm just behind you in reading, whats more you're ignoring the etiquette of the rest of the thread where everyone who has already read the entire series is marking their spoilers due to respect for the fact that people like you and myself are in this thread but have not yet read all of the books.

In fairness, I have an interest in starting these at some point soon enough, but this just spoiled a section of it for me...

Aye, I think so. Its the one where they defeat Blaine the pain in the riddling contest at the beginning. Pretty obvious that it would be Eddie's stupid riddles to be honest,.

Myles
March 30th, 2011, 2:17 PM
thats a much bigger spoiler than my fabrication of lesbian banging.

Mik
March 30th, 2011, 3:24 PM
My apologies for that. I will be more considerate in future. My chargrin regarding Myles is that he KNOWS that I'm actively reading the same book as him, so it looked like a deliberate effort to post spoilers. Perhaps that isnt the case. I dont know anyone else in this thread who is reading the book behind us.

Judas Iscariot
March 30th, 2011, 4:17 PM
Regarding the film, apparently Viggo's out due to filming "Snow White And The Hunstman," which is drawn from the old Grimm's version of the tale, and looks like it could be badass. It's set to come out Holiday 2012.

Meanwhile, Bale is tied into "The 13 Women of Nanjing" and the next Batman.

According to producer Brian Grazer, Bardem is "locked in psychologically. He really wants to do it, so we're absolutely rooting for him to do it."

Whether one of the bigger stars in the world right now will commit to such a gigantic project is something I doubt.

I really think the guy cast as Roland won't be a big star at all but will be propelled to stardom a la Viggo in LOTR.

Mik
March 30th, 2011, 4:37 PM
Last I heard the studio werent signing Viggo up for The Hunstman because he was asking for $8m for the role.

Judas Iscariot
March 30th, 2011, 4:51 PM
He should have asked for $16m.

EDIT: Looks like he's out/might be a bargaining play. Also rumored for Superman villain.

Viggo gets around.

Mik
March 30th, 2011, 4:52 PM
I doubt that Viggo asked for any kind of lofty figure. He's never been that type of actor.

FollowTheThreeEyes
April 1st, 2011, 12:42 PM
Keep in mind that this is a series that is 7, soon to be 8, books long spanning between movies and a television series. $8m makes sense considering how much time it will take to film it all.

Zyphlin
April 1st, 2011, 2:24 PM
...Soon to be 8?

What am I missing here?

FollowTheThreeEyes
April 1st, 2011, 2:26 PM
King is currently writing a book that takes place between Book 4 and Book 5. I think its due out next summer

Mik
April 1st, 2011, 8:27 PM
Keep in mind that this is a series that is 7, soon to be 8, books long spanning between movies and a television series. $8m makes sense considering how much time it will take to film it all.

No, not for The Dark Tower mate.

Myles
April 5th, 2011, 1:21 AM
mik how far are you? im about a third into it and well loving it.

Mik
April 5th, 2011, 5:06 AM
Ive not had much time to read lately mate. just got into the section where Roland starts telling his story. Maybe 150 pages in or so. Should get more chance to read tonight.

Matty C
April 5th, 2011, 11:36 AM
I'm up to Song of Susannah now, the second last book. I'm enjoying the main storylines and really liked the Wolves of the Calla.

I'm not huge on the Susannah character but I find that I have trouble connecting with female characters though. I guess I'm not as in touch with my feminine side as I should be.

Spoiler from the end of the Wolves of the Calla/Beginning of Song of Susannah:

I find the fact that he wrote himself into the book fairly hilarious. I hear that he even writes in getting hit by them to parallel his real life accident but I haven’t got that far yet. :lol:

Alf
April 5th, 2011, 12:00 PM

That's pretty much the make or break of the entire series. If you can buy into that then you'll be fine... I hate it at first, but now I quite like it.

Gan. All things serve the beam...

Alf
April 7th, 2011, 5:47 AM
http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/116/1160183p1.html

Bardem. Nice.

Mik
April 7th, 2011, 1:45 PM
Meh.

Myles
April 14th, 2011, 2:23 PM
as entertaining as this back story is, I'm missing eddie and whats going on in the now.

Matty C
April 14th, 2011, 2:26 PM
That was essentially what went wrong with me. I think I'm too impatient for such a lengthy sidetrack.

Not big on the Bardem choice. Hopefully he changes my mind.

Mik
April 14th, 2011, 5:47 PM
as entertaining as this back story is, I'm missing eddie and whats going on in the now.

I'm only about 400 pages in or so, but at the moment I prefer the back story.

Myles
April 15th, 2011, 1:24 AM
were around the same spot then, don't get me wrong im liking it, but i almost wish that king cut back and forth every 50 pages or so.

Alf
April 15th, 2011, 6:46 AM
Dudes, be patient. You have another billions pages worth of THE NOW after this.

Winkle van Tinkle
April 15th, 2011, 8:39 AM
Grow up lads and read something proper.

Matty C
April 15th, 2011, 9:08 AM
I have recently picked up a book called "What's Your Poo Telling You?". I have balanced the Dark Tower series with ensuring a thorough read of my new purchase.

Do you feel better now Tinkle?

Mik
April 15th, 2011, 1:10 PM
I am thoroughly enjoying the sidetrack. Just got to the interlude Myles. If you're not already there I think that you'll enjoy it, although I haven't read it yet. It worries me a bot knowing what I know about Roland in the future how this whole sidetrack is going to end. One thing that I've got to say though because its grating me. King is AWFUL at writing sex, yet he does it quite a lot in these books. Awful.

Myles
April 15th, 2011, 2:52 PM
Yea I'm actually behind you, I checked last night and I'm at like 330. It feels like I should be around page 500 though.

How awesome is Cuthbert, I quite like the little bastard, I hope something bad doesn't happen to him, but from what we already know, I think it is safe to assume something does.

King is most def a guy I would like to sit down and have lunch with.

Alf
April 17th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Mik, what is it you know already?

Mik
April 17th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Just the fact that Roland ends up on his own.

Alf
April 17th, 2011, 2:03 PM
Ahhhh, I thought you meant you'd had something spoiled.

Myles
April 17th, 2011, 2:05 PM
i merely spoiled the finger banging and for that I already apologized. :)

Mik
April 18th, 2011, 6:48 AM
The finger banging was just another example of King being unable to write sex. Which is a shame because he's one of the few popular and credible authors who is willing to give it a blast, so to speak.

Judas Iscariot
April 20th, 2011, 5:30 PM
Dude who wrote Battlestar Galactica is on board to write for the movies/tv series.

I don't know how I feel about all these sci-fi guys on board. Dunno why, but something about it doesn't feel right for some reason.

Mik
April 25th, 2011, 7:51 PM
Coming towards the end of the fourth book now. Am massively fucked off because I think that someone has just spoiled the ending of the series for me with a thread title in a random film message forum.

Judas Iscariot
April 25th, 2011, 11:59 PM
That's why I only post here. I expect someone to fuck something up and so tread extra cautiously.

Matty C
April 26th, 2011, 9:05 AM
People are so effing thick sometimes. It's bad enough with a movie but ruining a 7 book series is just brutal.

I'm more than half-way through Song of Susannah now. It's not my favourite book thus far but I'm still enjoying the progression.

Mik
April 26th, 2011, 9:09 AM
I dont really want to finish Wizard and Glass. I dont want to leave this story behind.

Mik
April 26th, 2011, 2:48 PM
In regards to the spoiler I read, I'll post it here and you can tell me whether it will actually spoil things for me. I dont need anyone to tell me that its true, or to go into detail about it, although if its not even true that would be rather lovely, I just want to know whether thats the big ending and thats effectively the resolution of the story ruined for me, or whether its not as major as that. Myles, dont click this spoiler:

Bearing in mind that this was in a film forum on IMDB with absolutely NO relationship to The Dark Tower whatsoever and this was a thread title and you'll understand how annoyed I was. The thread title was "Roland reaches the tower and finds that he is stuck in a loop"

Zyphlin
April 26th, 2011, 2:54 PM
Series Spoiler you seriously don't want to read

It is a spoiler, of a sorts, that is a very generalized description of one of the series's endings. That poster is a fucking jackass for putting it in a thread like that.

Matty C
April 26th, 2011, 3:18 PM
That's the ending of the series and not just Wizard and Glass right?

Pablo Diablo
April 26th, 2011, 3:19 PM
That's a series spoiler not just Wizard and Glass spoiler.

Matty C
April 26th, 2011, 3:21 PM
Cool. I won't click it then. :beer:

Alf
April 26th, 2011, 3:42 PM
I dont really want to finish Wizard and Glass. I dont want to leave this story behind.

I knew you'd love it.

How far in are you now?

Mik
April 26th, 2011, 4:45 PM
In the last hundred pages or so.

The Rick
April 26th, 2011, 6:40 PM

That book can stand alone. It is a great story in of itself. It helps breathe some life and humanity back into the Roland character.

Mik
April 26th, 2011, 8:50 PM
I don't want to read anymore. I was happier in the old times.

Judas Iscariot
April 27th, 2011, 12:44 AM
Ka will lead you forward, thankee sai.

Judas Iscariot
April 27th, 2011, 12:46 AM
BTW, I mean, come on, probably because I started reading it when this classic film came out:

YouTube - ZOLTAN!

Mik
April 27th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Right, finished The Wizard and Glass last night and am starting to formulate my feelings on it now. I think that I'll give it a weeks rest or so before starting the next one cos I am getting a little burnt out. I warned Alf not to force me to read such a long series, I get too emotionally invested in books/films/tv series. I could not resist going on to see whether this particular story has ever been elaborated on my King because I think that I'm more interested in this story than I am the continuation of the story. Spoilers from now on:

I was crushed because I knew that it was going to happen and then it did. I felt hurt for Roland. I liked the old West storyline in the book, I liked that it was a self-contained story. I was irritated when we came out of that and moved from Roland's more likeable 'ka-tet to his fairly irritating modern ka-tet with the painfully unfunny and insensitve Eddie and the annoying double personality of Susannah. It irked me that moments after telling this ridiculously heartfelt epic tale Eddie and Jake were joking around. It made me feel bad for Roland, who at the end of Book 4 seems like a shell of the character he was. Yes it humanizes him, but all that serves to do is to remind you how empty he is now. I would've been okay if he chose to follow the Tower and Susan went off to live a happy life, perhaps with Cuthbert, because there is perhaps a promise of happiness at the end for Roland, but I dont see any redemption for him remaining in the series.

It feels to me a little like Flagg has been crowbarred into this series too. He feels like Stephen King's favourite character and thats why he is there. He just doesnt seem to fit. It felt little after the flashback had finished, like the story is spiralling out of control now too. The Wizard of Oz stuff was just odd considering what had come before. I'm not sure that I liked it.

Also, just a little thing, but I dont like the fact that Eddie and Susannah are carrying Roland's fucking guns either. They arent proper Gunslingers, give him them back. Even Cuthbert and Alain didnt carry his guns and there was a lot more to them than to modern too.

I will continue with the series though, I'm too invested now. But if it starts getting too trippy and if it focuses on the other members of his ka-tet too much, I'm not sure how I'll progress. The series might've already hit its pinnacle for me.

This book has made one thing crystal clear to me though. Javier Bardem is the wrong choice for Roland. I see Roland as a cross between a Medieval Knight and a typical Old West Cowboy. I dont think that Bardem is particularly comfortable in either of those roles. He's never been able to hide his accent especially well as far as I'm concerned and that doesnt point to a medieval knight cowboy to my knowledge. Furthermore, although he 'uglied' up for No Country for Old Men, he didnt do it the way that I expect he'll have to for The Dark Tower. Its less a bad haircut and more walking corpse with haunted eyes. He always looks too healthy to me. Viggo would've been the perfect choice. Guy Pearce would've been a good shout too. Even Liam Neeson, Daniel Craig, Harrison Ford. They all have a wirey cagey drawn look to them and a depth to their performances that Bardem doesnt. I'm not convinced.

Matty C
April 27th, 2011, 3:37 PM
I completely agree about Bardem.

As for W&G, you may enjoy next book or end up totally giving up. I saw a lot of parallels with its main story and that of W&G but with the modern katet taking centre stage. I enjoy the current characters more than the W&G characters so that was welcome to me. You may totally reject it, or come around to enjoying the new katet more.

Either way, from reading your review I think that book will be pivotal for you.

Zyphlin
April 27th, 2011, 4:59 PM
Book 5 was a let down for me, Book 6 I really liked, Book 7 was meh

Mik
April 27th, 2011, 5:21 PM
What did you think of the first 4 though?

Zyphlin
April 27th, 2011, 10:08 PM
Liked the first, really enjoyed 2 and 3, thought 4 wasnt bad but not great

Matty C
April 28th, 2011, 9:09 AM
Liked the first, really enjoyed 2 and 3, thought 4 wasnt bad but not great

This is pretty much how I felt too. I liked 5 a lot though. :dunno:

Zyphlin
April 28th, 2011, 10:40 AM
I probably need to go back and read through the entire thing.

Five to me felt a lot like 4....very little actual story advancement and mostly filler, but I felt that fours filler was better than 5's. It just felt like 3/4ths of both of them could've been cut and it would've had zero affect on the general storyline.

That said it's been probably 6 or 7 years since I read WotC and probably closer to 8 or so since I last read W&G. So my memory may be a bit hazy on them.

Book 5 and 6 spoiler
For whatever reason some of the real life insertions from book 6 bothered me less than from book 5, perhaps because by that point I had just come to accept them when in reality I groaned audibly with the snitch bombs and light sabers

Matty C
April 28th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Hmm. The spoilered stuff didn't bother me. I'm wired that way though, I seem more likely to let stuff like that go than the average person for whatever reason.

Five and four are similar. I completely agree. Both could have been shorter as well. I think that's a fair critique.

Alf
April 28th, 2011, 1:27 PM
Isn't the next one Wolves of The Calla? If so... it is fucking aces too.

Mik
April 28th, 2011, 6:39 PM
Haha. You think that they are all aces Alf. I'll get it on Saturday.

Alf
April 30th, 2011, 8:40 AM
I'm not a fan of the first one. I find it a chore to get through... in fact, on my last read through I skipped it completely and went straight to Drawing Of The Three.

I'm not a fan of the Wastelands either. That whole section before Jake arrives is a chore too.

Myles
April 30th, 2011, 2:20 PM
See I'm not done the fourth but I'd say the wastelands was on par with it.

I have about 150 pages left, so maybe my opinion will change.

Myles
May 13th, 2011, 1:29 PM
Almost done now, christ this has been slow going. I can usually destroy a novel in a week, but I think it is a combination or being long, and me not loving it. I'm trying to love this series but I'm struggling.

Last week I had to pick up a trashy fiction book and kill it off in a couple days just to give myself a break from this series. I have read the Stand uncut in like 6 days but this is harder for me.

Mik
May 13th, 2011, 2:14 PM
I've been furious cos I've had to wait two weeks for the next book to come from play. Came today though, finally.

Matty C
May 13th, 2011, 3:50 PM
I finished book 6 and am on the final book now.

I'm not sure how I feel about book 6. I definitely didn't hate it but I'm not sure that I liked it as much as 5. It moved the story forward a bunch though. I'll have to let it sit for a while before I formulate a better opinion.

Mik
May 15th, 2011, 4:45 PM
Bosh Alf. Straight into Book 5, think that I'm into it already. Bout 40 pages in. I'm still sad though.

Myles
May 30th, 2011, 1:23 PM
Yea I'm 100 pages into book 5, and I'm glad it is back to eddie and crew.

I liked the back story, but is nice to be in the "now". I use the term now in a loose fashion as this shit is all over the map.

Matty C
May 30th, 2011, 1:53 PM
I think that the Eddie character in particular gets a lot stronger in books V and VI. I've always liked Eddie though.

Mik
May 30th, 2011, 7:29 PM
I think that Eddie is a bit of an uppity cock to be honest. A poor man's Cuthbert with some of the qualities of a poor man's Alain. I'm about 300 pages through book five and am not dialing it, but am somewhat just going through the motions to be honest. I'm only reading for Roland.