PDA

View Full Version : The Walking Dead -TV thread - NO comic-related discussions

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Tim
July 18th, 2010, 2:47 AM
I was just looking at Entertainment Weekly and they mention this new series on AMC "The Walking Dead" based on a comic book series about zombies and a group of people trying to survive. I know it starts in October and the director is the guy that did "The Green Mile" and "The Shawshank Redemption". I also think I read that one of the cast members is Dr. Tencredi from Prison Break who I loved. So based on that little info I'm super excited and this show is what I'm most looking forward to in the fall.

I can't find any trailers though. Anyone else hear about this show? Looking forward to it?

TapOut
July 18th, 2010, 3:09 AM
I have not seen/heard about it, but if its on AMC I'm more than willing to give it a shot. I still need to watch the Rubicon pilot too.

HHHnFoley_Rulez
July 18th, 2010, 3:50 AM
Is it based on the comic entirely? I've read "most" of them, up to like... #65... just looked and its up to #74 now.. I may just catch up now! I drop in and out cos of Uni connections etc.

It's a pretty good read, dark in places, keeps it interesting in what basically is a man/a few people travelling around killing zombies/trying to survive humans and zombies alike.

I think it's about time a proper "drama" around zombies, we have a billion and one films about it now. I still think "World War Z" (book my Max Brooks I think, I lost my copy!) should be a TV series.

Bert
July 18th, 2010, 3:53 AM
I was going to make a thread about this but I was waiting for a trailer. Sounds interesting though.

Deewun
July 20th, 2010, 1:47 AM
I'm very excited for this. Darabont is one of my absolute FAVORITE directors, and the comic itself is intensely fantastic. All the pictures I've seen, these fucking zombies look AWESOME. Folks who are getting early viewings are calling this the "bloodiest television show ever" which is also awesome. God bless cable.

Vice
July 20th, 2010, 2:05 AM
There will be a lot of new TV series debuting this fall, but the one that easily looks to be the most exciting has to be the only one with zombies in it - The Walking Dead. Based on the acclaimed comic book by Robert Kirkman, the AMC series has some formidable talent involved, including executive producer/writer/director Frank Darabont (The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile) and executive producer Gale Anne Hurd (The Terminator, Aliens, The Incredible Hulk).

I recently had the opportunity to visit the Atlanta set of The Walking Dead, as Darabont directed the first episode of the series. While we'll have plenty more material from that visit as the show approaches, we wanted to give you a hint at what's to come.

Darabont had been attempting to make a Walking Dead TV show for years, and told me he could recall going into a comic book store and first seeing Kirkman's comic. "I took it home and was really drawn into it and immediately thought, 'This is the way to do this subject as a television series,' because it was taking some fantastic chances and it was also so character driven and character rooted. That's what everybody got excited about."

British actor Andrew Lincoln (Love Actually) plays the main character, police officer Rick Grimes – who takes on a leadership role, as he and a small group of survivors attempt to find safety, amongst a zombie-filled America

Discussing his character, Lincoln told me, "What I've experienced from doing the scenes with him is that Rick is a very centered, serious, practical man. He's also a simple man. He's got a very good moral center; He's like a moral compass. And what happens is this eroding of his moral center. He wakes up to find the world has irrevocably changed. His motivational forces are obviously to find his family and discover what has happened to them. And what I've realized in playing him is that he is willing to go to any lengths. He's pushed into a corner and he's fighting his way out. "

Rick Grimes (Andrew Lincoln) is ready to kill some zombies in
The Walking Dead
Lincoln added, "I was chatting with Frank about this - that it's almost like when he starts killing the zombies, the walkers, it's almost like he's saying, 'Whatever's in front of me is not what I remember.' It's kind of like he's eradicating this [horror]. It's more of him trying to reclaim humanity through these kind of executions. And that's my justification of it: it's this man is willing to go to any lengths."

The first released production image of a zombie from the series -- which you can see below -- had a lot of the comics' fans impressed, as it makes it clear that the imagery on The Walking Dead will be very intense, to say the least. I was lucky enough to be on set when they were shooting the sequence with this zombie (and saw that specific photo taken!) and I can tell you, it was incredible to see this woman walking around an Atlanta park in the middle of the day looking so realistically undead. Making it all the more amusing and eerie were the sounds of children playing in a nearby local pool.

When it came to the horror content, Hurd said they'd gotten a ton of support from AMC – the home of Mad Men and Breaking Bad -- noting, "We're doing a zombie series; you cannot shy away from the fact that the zombies are undead. They're decomposing, and they want to kill and eat you. We've been given the all clear to go for it. Go big or go home."

The Zombie makeup on the series comes courtesy of Greg Nicotero, who has a ton of experience creating the undead on several projects, including many of George Romero's zombie films. "Because Frank and I have been talking about the show for a long time and we had great inspiration because the graphic novel has so many great visuals in it, we kind of knew what we wanted to do with it," Nicotero explained. "The zombies in the graphic novel have a very specific look. They all have dead eyes, a lot of them have exposed teeth, and there's a lot of damage. They are all really goth and all have stringy hair. So there's a specific Walking Dead look, and they're not just standard zombies."

This one's scary enough not walking - and trust us, most of the others are up on two feet

Said Lincoln of Nicotero's work, "Every day I go to work and it's artistry, what's being done. It's extraordinary, all of that area. It's funny, because we had two days with Jon Bernthal (who plays Rick's fellow cop, Shane) -- and this was pre-apocalypse-- and it was amazing because it felt like we were doing a cop show. And then suddenly I had that first day where I met my first zombie and I went, 'Oh... this is the show we're in!' And it was so exciting because of the quality and the detail and the care that had been lavished on that, on just the makeup and the details and the art."

Robert Kirkman is an executive producer on the series and is writing the fourth episode. Darabont said that when it came to turning the comic book into a TV series, "It is, very much so, a different rhythm. I like to say that the long-range goal is to follow Kirkman's path that he laid out, which is a tremendous template. That's the path of what we're doing, but we're going to take as many detours along the way as we can. And that means veering off the path at times, and it also means looping back around toward the main path. It gives us tremendous opportunity to really take the character through different arcs within the context of that established path. It gives us a great opportunity to really dig into it on a character level -- and also to do some cinematic stuff. Our pilot show ends right as Rick gets into Atlanta and that's actually not that many pages into the comic. That's an hour of what we're doing. We're giving it a lot of room to breathe is probably the most accurate way to say it. And Kirkland's all aboard with that idea."

"In fact, Robert's been very very encouraging and very sweet about it too," Darabont remarked. "He said from day one, 'Use what I've done as a jumping off point -- stick as closely or as loosely as you wish.' And that's a tremendous blessing -- from the creator of the material to give us that license to not be upset… in fact the more stuff I come up with or the writers come up with that expands upon what he's done, the happier he seems to be."

I asked Gale Anne Hurd what she thought the continuing popularity of zombies could be attributed to and she replied, "What's not to love about zombies? I think there is a fascination with the idea of if after you die you come back, but you're still decomposing at the same time. You're no longer bound by the rules of decorum and essentially all you want to do is eat people. It's a way of dealing with cannibalism and a lot of the taboos in an entertaining way."

She then paused and added, "And certainly with The Walking Dead, it's not really the zombies you have to fear, it's the humans."

http://tv.ign.com/articles/110/1106418p1.html

I'm pretty pumped for this. Love me some zombies, love me some Darabont, love me some AMC series, and definitely love me some Dr. Tancredi.

Guy
July 20th, 2010, 5:23 AM
Obviously I'm in.

It has too be said though, it's been a long time coming that a zombie-filled on ongoing TV series was made. Surprised this hasn't happened yet

Vice
July 20th, 2010, 5:34 AM
Does Dead Set count at all?

Guy
July 20th, 2010, 5:41 AM
That wasn't really on-going. More of a mini series.

Wait...is this a mini series too?

I heard Zombieland was originally pitched as a TV series, but nobody wanted it so they turned it into a movie. Hence the "Zombie kill of the week" stuff.

RabidWookie
July 23rd, 2010, 8:14 PM
The first season is six one hour episodes.

Some images
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/7844/1279927512.jpg
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/3660/1279927594.jpghttp://img23.imageshack.us/img23/5104/1279927596.jpg
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/2184/1279927777.jpg

Mr_Nobody
July 23rd, 2010, 9:39 PM
I'm so watching this when it comes out. They were filming this, at least in part, in Georgia. They had a call-out for zombie extras a month or so ago, but there was no way I could go to it. I'm so psyched for this series though.

Tim
July 24th, 2010, 1:30 AM
I hope they release a trailer soon, I need something to hold me over until October that I can watch a million times.

:heart: Dr. Tancredi

Alcohol
July 24th, 2010, 6:09 PM
SDCC trailer for this just leaked online. No idea how long it'll stay up but it looks pretty good.

YouTube- Walking Dead Trailer - Comic Con 2010

I've been looking forward to seeing this show anyway, but I'm definitely feeling a bit more confident about it as more stuff gets released.

HHHnFoley_Rulez
July 25th, 2010, 2:59 AM
That looks amazing.. so "true to the comic" in places... and it has the black guy from Jericho in it! Wooo!

I wonder how much of the dark/gritty stories in the comic will make it to TV but the general theme of the show seems good... Roll on October.

Bert
July 25th, 2010, 3:48 PM
SDCC trailer for this just leaked online. No idea how long it'll stay up but it looks pretty good.

YouTube- Walking Dead Trailer - Comic Con 2010 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHN6goQTP9k&feature=player_embedded)

I heard this was edited a lot for Gore.

The trailer for The Walking Dead looks fantastic—dark, suspenseful, all kinds of creepy. Unfortunately, it was cut down for Comic-Con. “There’s a big George Romero splay of blood,” Darabont said. “We couldn’t show it to you here because Comic-Con said no.”

Oh and did the comics also rip off the Hospital beginning from 28 Days Later? I haven't read them.

Jimmy Zero
August 29th, 2010, 9:36 PM
Trailer was put online the other day. It's a better quality version of that other post. This looks all sorts of cool. It's high time a legit zombie tv show get put on the air.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1v0uFms68U&feature=fvst

VanillaJello
August 29th, 2010, 11:14 PM
While I think it looks awesome... realistically how long can a series like that run? I feel like it'd only be good for 10-12 episodes before they ran out of material.

RabidWookie
August 29th, 2010, 11:27 PM
Well since the comic has been running for 76 issues there is plenty of story to draw from.

VanillaJello
August 29th, 2010, 11:49 PM
Oh, I didn't know it was a comic.

Good stuff, then.

grimshaw
August 30th, 2010, 5:13 AM
'graphic novel'...

I must say that if I had only seen the trailer out of context, and hadn't heard that the comic is really great, I'd probably not watch this. That trailer is unbelievably generic-looking.

Alf
August 30th, 2010, 5:44 AM
They've given a lot of plot away in that trailer. Annoying.

HHHnFoley_Rulez
August 30th, 2010, 5:56 AM
The "man searching for his wife/son" is only a small part of the graphic novel to be fair. A lot more happens after that than before it, I thought, anyway.

Mind you, this is American TV.. they might have buffed out the whole family thing to make it more generically "wholesome" - hopefully not.

RabidWookie
August 30th, 2010, 7:29 AM
Pfft "graphic novel". It comes out monthly, it's a comic.

Jimmy Zero
August 30th, 2010, 8:58 AM
While I think it looks awesome... realistically how long can a series like that run? I feel like it'd only be good for 10-12 episodes before they ran out of material.

I dunno, I feel like they can go all kinds of different ways. They can focus on Zombieworld and how the survivors are suviving, why they've survived, etc. They can also delve into the lives of the main characters before zombies took over and explore where their world goes now. I've never read the comic, though, so I'm not sure what to expect beyond what we usually see in zombie-fare.

Watching that trailer, it makes me wish the planned World War Z movie was an episodic HBO/Showtime series rather than a movie.

grimshaw
August 30th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Pfft "graphic novel". It comes out monthly, it's a comic.

That was my point. In fact, it can come out weekly, yearly, daily or just once, it'd still be a freaking comic book.

I am sure this will be at least good.

Beer-Belly
August 30th, 2010, 5:03 PM
The "man searching for his wife/son" is only a small part of the graphic novel to be fair. A lot more happens after that than before it, I thought, anyway.

Mind you, this is American TV.. they might have buffed out the whole family thing to make it more generically "wholesome" - hopefully not.

Shooting a zombie child in the face doesn't seem very wholesome.

virms
August 30th, 2010, 5:10 PM
I am definitely going to watch but my only beef to this is the whole waking up in the hospital alone bit. It's already been done :(

Judas Iscariot
August 30th, 2010, 6:23 PM

Yeah, that's it, we make television shows about zombies wholesome.

I'm so excited about this I don't know what to do with myself.

I can never and will never get tired of zombies.

VanillaJello
August 30th, 2010, 7:47 PM
Do you guys prefer the shuffling feet zombies or the fast movings ones you'd see in Dawn of the Dead or 28 Days Later?

Grayson Kills
August 30th, 2010, 8:39 PM
shuffling feet.. I enjoyed Dawn of the Dead but that was the only thing that bothered me. As for 28 Days Later they justified it by them having the rage rather then being zombies

Judas Iscariot
August 30th, 2010, 9:18 PM
I've liked the fast zombies since they became the norm, but I've been missing the shuffling ones, so it'll be cool to have them back.

Beer-Belly
August 30th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Walking corpses would take it slow.

Matty C
August 31st, 2010, 11:09 AM
Shuffling zombies for me. The suspense is better.

I'm quite looking forward to this, my wife mentioned it the other day and seems interested as well. That's pretty cool since zombies, and horror in general, are not really her thing.

HHHnFoley_Rulez
August 31st, 2010, 11:39 AM
Yeah, that's it, we make television shows about zombies wholesome.

I'm so excited about this I don't know what to do with myself.

I can never and will never get tired of zombies.

:lol: You know what I mean. Even Zombieland had a love story in it. Two, in fact. I can imagine them dragging it out, mentioning "America" every 2 lines and being all noble about restoring their great country.

As for the speed of zombies, I'd go with shuffling - builds suspense more, I think. Like in Dawn of the Dead, they were slow as hell but if they got in numbers or you make a mistake - kaput!

Judas Iscariot
August 31st, 2010, 12:01 PM
:lol: You know what I mean. Even Zombieland had a love story in it. Two, in fact. I can imagine them dragging it out, mentioning "America" every 2 lines and being all noble about restoring their great country.

As for the speed of zombies, I'd go with shuffling - builds suspense more, I think. Like in Dawn of the Dead, they were slow as hell but if they got in numbers or you make a mistake - kaput!

Those loves stories HUMANIZE the characters and shows how HUMAN they are as opposed to the ZOMBIES, who are no longer HUMAN, you know like in that American ZOMBIE movie SHAUN OF THE DEAD, you heartless bastard.

The fast zombies scare me more, because at any moment one or a hundred of them can have at you, but they've definitely gotten played out. Time for the classic ones to return.

HHHnFoley_Rulez
September 1st, 2010, 7:09 AM
No doubt the fast ones shit you up easier, maybe there could be a mix one day :eek: Teamwork!

According to: http://www.empireonline.com/news/feed.asp?NID=28804

This already has a second series planned/signed up for... despite not even having the first air yet. That must be a good thing, right?

Judas Iscariot
September 1st, 2010, 11:32 AM
You'd think so. Maybe they asked the guys who signed up for a Hangover sequel before it was released if this had the same mojo.

OMG DRUNKEN ZOMBIE BACHELOR PARTY

THINK OF THE POSSIBILITIES

Vice
October 22nd, 2010, 1:36 AM
I downloaded a pre-air copy of the first episode, and this show is totally fucking legit.

Deewun
October 22nd, 2010, 1:38 AM
I have it downloaded ... but I'm holding off to see if I can wait for it for Halloween night. I'm stoked, man. Darabont is one of my favorite directors, and this series ... jeez, I love it. I've been buying them since the beginning, man. EXCITING!

Rip
October 22nd, 2010, 12:17 PM
Series starts 5th November @ 10 on FX in UK.

:hyper:

Jimmy Zero
October 31st, 2010, 9:54 AM
Premieres tonight and I can't wait to see it. Anyone else planning on watching?

Mark84j
October 31st, 2010, 11:31 AM
I is watching tonight.

Judas Iscariot
October 31st, 2010, 12:49 PM
Gonna DVR it and probably watch later in the week.

STOKED, though.

Deewun
October 31st, 2010, 12:54 PM
I cannot wait. I've been waiting for awhile, and I just got the newest comic in as well, so I'll read it just beforehand! ZOMBIES! Wooo!

Guy
October 31st, 2010, 1:15 PM
I'm going to have to wait for tomorrow to download it.

Damn UK TV

Ozymandias
October 31st, 2010, 3:44 PM
I'll be watching tonight.

Matty C
October 31st, 2010, 4:20 PM
My PVR is already set to tape every week but I fully intend on watching it live. I'm pumped.

RockOverBoston
October 31st, 2010, 10:57 PM
It's not finished yet, but let's kick the discussion off by stating that this is pretty fucking graphic for a show that somehow earned a TV-14 rating.

terencestamp7
October 31st, 2010, 11:49 PM
I saw the episode at my brothers' house. I don't have cable so I'll most likely be going there on Sunday nights now. I love a good zombie anything.

One thing I didn't get which might be explained later is

Wouldn't his partner and his wife have gone to the hospital to see if he was ok?

RockOverBoston
October 31st, 2010, 11:54 PM
There's really no way of telling how much time was lost while he was in the hospital, but it's pretty safe to assume that it was quite a stretch. Considering just how much he slept through, I'd guess that visits from his family were slept through as well.

I am definitely going to watch but my only beef to this is the whole waking up in the hospital alone bit. It's already been done :(

And it'll no doubt be done again. It's a pretty good little plot device in that it eliminates the need for the entire zombie revolution to be told from its very beginning.

Ozymandias
October 31st, 2010, 11:58 PM
There's really no way of telling how much time was lost while he was in the hospital, but it's pretty safe to assume that it was quite a stretch. Considering just how much he slept through, I'd guess that visits from his family were slept through as well.

And it'll no doubt be done again. It's a pretty good little plot device in that it eliminates the need for the entire zombie revolution to be told from its very beginning.

It's my understanding that the hospital scene was originally in the comics the show is based on, and they came out before 28 Days Later I think.

Jimmy Zero
November 1st, 2010, 12:00 AM
Overall, I really enjoyed this. For a first episode it kept my interest for most of the episode. I feel it did drag once black dude from Jericho and his kid showed up, but most of their interactions at the house were expository, so it's excusable.

Like ROB said, this show is really fucking graphic for a basic cable show. I'm pretty amazed that they were allowed to show the little girl getting her head blown off at all.

Despite some of the predictable contrivances, such as cop guy's wife smooching on his former partner, I quite enjoyed the show and am really looking forward to seeing what happens next.

Mark84j
November 1st, 2010, 1:07 AM
Loved it. Nothing else to say.

"C'mon, baby." Such a powerful scene.

Deewun
November 1st, 2010, 3:38 AM
Loved it. Darabont is without a doubt one of my favorite directors, and he did wonderfully this entire episode. I am in love (except for one short and terrible shot just as the horse was being killed, it really looked slipshod and awful, especially after just how incredibly well shot the rest of the show is) and I am grateful it is both very true to the comics as well as having new ideas and new additions to the story.

This is the first thing I've seen that makes me hard for blu-ray. I cannot wait to own it.

Matty C
November 1st, 2010, 1:09 PM
I enjoyed the first episode a good deal. The worst part for me is that I have to wait for next week to see more…

I wondered about why they wouldn’t have pulled him out of the hospital but I’m sure they’ll explain it and there are a few different perfectly plausible reasons, not the least of which is thinking he was probably safest there given his condition, the proximity of the army, etc. The overthrow of the hospital may have been shockingly quick as well. It should be easily explained. When you think about it, that’s actually easier to explain than how he managed to not be eaten by zombies while he was out.

I enjoyed the scenes with the pimp from Hung. He seems like a strong actor (I have not seen Jericho). There was some powerful stuff there.

I look forward to next week and may rewatch the premiere tonight with my wife (she fell asleep before it came on).

Mark84j
November 1st, 2010, 1:40 PM
I can't watch this episode enough times before next week.

Deewun
November 1st, 2010, 1:40 PM
As to your wondering ...
When he left the room, there was a bed across the doorway. I think that may have been just a subtle sign of how he may have gotten overlooked in the aftermath, with his door shut, him quiet, and a bed strewn in front of it. But that is just my inference from what was on the screen.

Matty C
November 1st, 2010, 2:18 PM
As to your wondering ...
When he left the room, there was a bed across the doorway. I think that may have been just a subtle sign of how he may have gotten overlooked in the aftermath, with his door shut, him quiet, and a bed strewn in front of it. But that is just my inference from what was on the screen.

That's fair but you see what I mean, the point regarding his wife is not any more of a stretch than that issue. Both can be explained but neither has been totally addressed yet, which is to be expected.

virms
November 1st, 2010, 3:42 PM
I thought it was decent enough. Bit slow at times, but I understand they have to lay the ground work for it.

That poor fucking horse. :cry:

Ozymandias
November 1st, 2010, 5:32 PM
Loved it. Darabont is without a doubt one of my favorite directors, and he did wonderfully this entire episode. I am in love (except for one short and terrible shot just as the horse was being killed, it really looked slipshod and awful, especially after just how incredibly well shot the rest of the show is) and I am grateful it is both very true to the comics as well as having new ideas and new additions to the story.

This is the first thing I've seen that makes me hard for blu-ray. I cannot wait to own it.

Me either, I can't wait for the next episode and I wanna own the complete series already.

Chris Scott
November 2nd, 2010, 8:42 AM
Starts Friday on FX 10pm for UK viewers.

Guy
November 2nd, 2010, 6:23 PM
I thought it was excellent, and I'm glad I didn't read the comic as it's all new and fresh to me. Which means that

For a moment I was genuinely expecting him to die under that tank as I thought killing the main character at the end of episode 1 would be a totally radical and unpredictable idea. That the show is about the overrun of the world by the undead and how particular groups react to this (his kid/child/partner, the father/son) I thought it entirely plausible that they could actually be the focus of the show.

I did feel the hour though. I enjoyed every minute of it, sure. But I'm happy the season isn't 22 episodes worth.

Cewsh
November 2nd, 2010, 6:26 PM
This got huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge ratings.

5.3 million, which is the best rated show that AMC has ever had by a mile and the best debut episode to any show on any channel this year.

Deewun
November 2nd, 2010, 6:31 PM
As for the comic fans, I just read this interview. Fucking epic.

Kirkman interview (http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/11/01/walking-dead-amc-pilot-kirkman/)

The important part is the last paragraph.

Edit: AWESOME ratings. Sweet.

Mik
November 2nd, 2010, 6:45 PM
Funny to find this thread. I've literally just seen the advert for this programme and noticed that it was Andrew Lincoln in it, who I consider to be a massively underrated actor. Then looked online to read a little about it, then came back here to find it the top thread in this forum.

I'm not usually a fan of the zombie genre as such, but I am a huge fan of Andrew Lincoln. How is he in it so far? I might set the Sky+ to record this bad boy.

Guy
November 2nd, 2010, 6:54 PM
He spends a majority of he episode being quiet and looking determined/confused.

He does it well, and I can't fault him so far, he's an enjoyable and stable lead. But he hasn't been given a magnificent amount to work with in the pilot other than coming to terms with everything in a quiet manner.

He also manages to convey complete disgust pretty well too.

virms
November 2nd, 2010, 6:56 PM
Funny to find this thread. I've literally just seen the advert for this programme and noticed that it was Andrew Lincoln in it, who I consider to be a massively underrated actor. Then looked online to read a little about it, then came back here to find it the top thread in this forum.

I'm not usually a fan of the zombie genre as such, but I am a huge fan of Andrew Lincoln. How is he in it so far? I might set the Sky+ to record this bad boy.

Oh he does a tremendous job in it. He was easily the highlight of the show the way he portrayed his character. His scene with the legless zombie was probably one of my favorite scenes in any zombie movie. If you are going to watch it I won't ruin it for you but....

the way he just sat an observed the legless zombie with pity and a strange curiousness was very interesting. I guess maybe he knew this was going to be a chance to really observe one up close without much danger but it also showed an underlying value to his character by putting it out of its misery...even though it was a zombie.

Jimmy Zero
November 2nd, 2010, 7:57 PM
Regarding virm's spoiler (no spoilers to follow):

That's one of the things that I really enjoyed about watching this. There was no tongue in cheek-ness to any of it. The deputy sheriff's reactions to the awful things he was experiencing were realistic and I felt they did a wonderful job of keeping things grounded by staying away from over the top emotions and methods of coping that the survivors have.

one of my favorite scenes was when the deputy sheriff (his name escapes me right now) was looking for gas, came up on that house and peered in the window where the old man with the top of his head blown off was in his chair and his dead wife was on the floor with "god forgive me" on the wall. Great stuff.

Chris Scott
November 5th, 2010, 8:54 AM
I might set the Sky+ to record this bad boy.

You might?

Get it set as soon as.

Alf
November 5th, 2010, 9:06 AM
It's a good show thus far. Mik, get involved lad.

Matty C
November 5th, 2010, 9:12 AM
My wife is not a fan of the zombie genre and watched with me. She wasn't as enthralled as I was but that was to be expected given that I love this sort of stuff. She enjoyed it and intends to keep watching, which was not nearly a given seeing as I had to convince her to give it a shot at all. She's even looked around online for more information about it, so the first episode must have grabbed her.

Guy
November 5th, 2010, 12:19 PM
My better half wasn't interested, was about to leave the room when I turned it on...and ended up watching the entire thing.

Winner :yes:

Mik
November 5th, 2010, 2:28 PM
It's a good show thus far. Mik, get involved lad.

I have Sky+ed it.

RockOverBoston
November 6th, 2010, 8:15 PM
This got huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge ratings.

5.3 million, which is the best rated show that AMC has ever had by a mile and the best debut episode to any show on any channel this year.

I don't know that the last part is true. Pretty sure I'd read that Angie Harmon cop drama on TNT pulled in something like 7 and a half million. Obviously I was not one of them, as I don't even remember what it's called.

Regardless, 5.3 million is a really big audience for them, and the premiere should have been enough to hook most of those viewers. I just wish that there were more than 5 more episodes in the pipeline for right now, as AMC could use it as an anchor for Sunday night programming that could also feature reruns of their other two incredible series (and Rubicon, too, I guess), which are regularly gaining viewers, but still not enough people are watching.

One Man Gang
November 6th, 2010, 8:34 PM
It's honestly amazing how many hit shows AMC has built over the last couple of years. As far as I was concerned less than a decade ago that network was useless.

Anyways, saw the first episode of Walking Dead last night. Pretty good. Had some well written emotional moments I didn't expect.

Jimmy Zero
November 6th, 2010, 9:48 PM
A couple years ago, that network WAS fairly useless.

They filled their programming with old timey movies with the Hepburns, Bogarts those types. They also showed a lot of Three Stooges during the day. It wasn't until relatively recently that they even had original scripted television.

RockOverBoston
November 7th, 2010, 1:18 PM
Their definition of "American Movie Classics" is suspect on its best day as well.

One night not terribly long ago, they played "Gigli" and "Catwoman" back to back as the lead-ins to "Mad Men".

Jimmy Zero
November 8th, 2010, 12:03 AM
The new episode was fantastic. I'm really really loving this show and getting increasingly bummed that this is only a 6 episode season.

Is this a mini series, or will it get a full season since the initial numbers seem to be pretty damn good for this show?

RockOverBoston
November 8th, 2010, 12:59 AM
A full, 13 episode second season was ordered before the premiere had even aired.

And yeah, that episode was fantastic. Sunday night has truly become the undisputed king of television

Jimmy Zero
November 8th, 2010, 1:12 AM
As if it needs saying, but Michael Rooker is the man.

Mark84j
November 8th, 2010, 1:12 AM
Where's Glenn?

Woooohoooo!!! :lol:

Deewun
November 8th, 2010, 3:03 AM
Really enjoyed the show. I was hoping each episode was going to be an hour and a half, so it was a bit disappointing for it to just be an hour, but it was still a nice one-hour show. I'm not sold on all the actors, but I really like Glenn and T-Dog. They both did a great job. And who doesn't love to have Michael Rooker.

I'm glad they used another iconic piece with the smelly clothes and the rain. Really enjoyed all the new stuff as well. They had me fooled for a second, thinking that they'd go into the sewers, which is nice, considering I've been reading since issue 1.

Nice episode. I really look forward to the brother dynamic they are adding. Not sure how I feel about Shane and Lori's relationship, I'll have to see there. And damnit Shane, it is not enough that you carry the hat around, wear the fucking thing.

Bert
November 8th, 2010, 4:22 AM
If only Francis wasn't racist he wouldn't have got left behind. I bet he hated that.

Mark84j
November 8th, 2010, 3:38 PM
If only Francis wasn't racist he wouldn't have got left behind. I bet he hated that.

:yes::yes::yes:

Mik
November 8th, 2010, 4:04 PM
How is Andrew Lincoln getting on? Still good?

Deewun
November 8th, 2010, 4:08 PM
Best actor in the show. He's wonderful.

Guy
November 8th, 2010, 4:35 PM

Ahah. We were saying the same.

Now I know why he hates Louis so much

Deewun
November 8th, 2010, 6:13 PM
Fucking A. I'm really happy for this show, us the fans, and the guys involved. Check it:

Season 2 officially announced (http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/2010/11/season-2-renewal.php).

Jimmy Zero
November 8th, 2010, 7:13 PM
How is Andrew Lincoln getting on? Still good?

He's been great. I'd agree with D1 that his has been the strongest performance so far. Of course, if Michael Rooker gets more screen time, that could change.

virms
November 8th, 2010, 7:56 PM
Fantastic episode last night. It's not often a tv show or movie comes along that really grabs me and puts me on the edge of my seat with tension, but Walking Dead pulled it off tremendously for me last night when they staged the escape.

Highlight of the night was obviously Rooker as I had no idea he was even involved with this.

To answer Mik's question Andrew Lincoln is really carrying this show with ease. It's impossible to not like his character. I really like his accent as well. Everything he says comes across so peaceful and elegant. I wish he could read me some bedtime stories.

Tim
November 10th, 2010, 1:47 AM
Loved the first episode, the 2nd episode didn't do it for me. I hate this new group of characters and thought some of the scenes were cheesey like the smelling of the dead.

Jordo
November 12th, 2010, 1:34 PM
Was really excited about this when I first heard about it, hadn't got a chance to see it until today. Got caught up and I'm hooked, absolutely loved the first two eps and can't wait for a third.

Clutch
November 14th, 2010, 8:26 PM
Pretty amped for this tonight :hyper:

our favorite new show :heart:

virms
November 14th, 2010, 8:39 PM
Good biz Jammy. Didn't strike you or the wifey as the zombie type. Please keep us updated with you thoughts. :)

Bert
November 15th, 2010, 3:57 AM
So if you cut off your hand you won't leak any blood on the ground? Good to know.

HHHnFoley_Rulez
November 15th, 2010, 7:49 AM
He could have tied something around his arm like a tourniquet (such as his vest) in an effort to minimise the bleeding... I agree it's a bit unlikely, though. I wanna know how he got off the roof single handedly :lol: .... :happysad: .... :$

Surprised how few geeks were in the building (especially on the stairs to the roof) considering there was food up there the night before. :dunno:

I wasnt gripped by Ep 2 but this one was good, so ... woo. Sucks when you "know" what might happen cos of the comics but it's cool to see the transition, if you know what I mean.

grimshaw
November 15th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Apparently a hacksaw that can cut through human bone doesn't make a dent in handcuffs :/

The episode was good, mind, I was surprisingly affected when your man was reunited with the boy but I can't be doing with the notion that he'd have cut the hand off. Ah well that's drama for you.

Mark84j
November 15th, 2010, 11:49 AM
I think if his hand was covered in blood, it would lead some audiences to think that he was eaten.

Andru
November 15th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Last night's episode was great! While there was very minimal zombie action, I think the character development and progression was well done in this episode.

I actually almost teared up when Rick was reunited with his family, which is quite insane considering we are only three episodes in, and many shows fail to establish any connection and emotion between the audience and the characters.

Very intrigued to see what happened to Merle considering he is now missing a hand, and since the doors on the roof were still locked, where the hell did he go?

Vice
November 15th, 2010, 8:45 PM
Loved this latest episode. The opening scene with Dixon was just incredibly well done, and making us wait until the very very end to see what happened was just brilliant, I thought.

Also, did anyone else get a bit of a 28 Days Later vibe while Shane was beating the crap out of the guy with that music playing? The music is fairly similar to the 28 Theme in style, and it immediately made me think of Jim smashing that shithead's skull in.

Can't wait for next week's episode.

virms
November 15th, 2010, 9:17 PM
Apparently a hacksaw that can cut through human bone doesn't make a dent in handcuffs :/

I am guessing that a zombie or two might have squeezed through the door leaving Merle no choice but to cut his hand off. I would reckon cutting of a wrist would be easier than cutting thru steel.

Also, did anyone else get a bit of a 28 Days Later vibe while Shane was beating the crap out of the guy with that music playing? The music is fairly similar to the 28 Theme in style, and it immediately made me think of Jim smashing that shithead's skull in.

Definitely felt the same to me. I thought for a second it was the same music.

Alf
November 16th, 2010, 12:47 PM
I love this show.

And yes, it's easier to cut through bone than steal... think about it for fuck sake.

The Doc
November 16th, 2010, 4:08 PM
It's not about bone being EASIER to cut than steel it's about steel being capable of being cut at all. There were some pretty heavy tools there I bet he could either have busted the cuffs or the tiny pipe it was connected too. The zombies couldn't get through and if they had they most likely would have remained on the roof. (I say probably because it's at least plausible that a child zombie could have gotten through but we've seen very very few child zombies.) He basically had until he starved to death or died of esposure to figure it out.

Still great episode. My main complaint is that human beings and emotions are random and stupid. But hey that's real life too.

I mean seriously is telling a woman that her husband who was bed ridden with a bullet wound in an overrun hospital, who survived seemingly based on the incredibly random case of the zombies didn't check that one fucking door really lying? Seems to me a lot closer to betting on the most likely scenario. Hell honestly in a zombie apocalypse if I woke from my coma fought through waves of zombies and found my wife and child alive, my child being taught and loved by my best (or any sufficiently close) friend and my wife getting her brains fucked out but happy. I'd consider it a win in overall realm of things.

I know there are various rational exceptions but still. It pisses me off.

terencestamp7
November 16th, 2010, 4:12 PM
Are we sure he cut his hand off? Maybe he broke his wrist, pulled it through, and that hand we saw belongs to a zombie?

Miotch
November 16th, 2010, 4:19 PM
We're sure he cut his hand off.

terencestamp7
November 16th, 2010, 4:33 PM
Ok.

Deewun
November 16th, 2010, 4:44 PM
I enjoyed this episode. I enjoyed it more than the last one, and I liked the last one a lot. Andrew Lincoln is KILLING it. I wasn't into Bernthal as Shane from the first two episodes, but he really killed it here. Shane as a character in the comics didn't get my time as Kirkman was pushing the story forward a bit faster in the early issues, so it is nice to see more depth, more confliction.

I'm not sold on Lori. Or Carl. Carl has it rough in the coming seasons, and I dunno if this kid is gonna be able to pull it off.

The opening, with Rooker on the roof, just raving and insane before he gets that moment of clarity and start doing everything he can to get the saw ... man, that was powerful. Just a very powerful episode.

The ending, while a little bit weird with things like where's the blood, all that can be forgiven as dramatics to end the episode. We'll get our answers next episode.

virms
November 16th, 2010, 4:50 PM
Are we sure he cut his hand off? Maybe he broke his wrist, pulled it through, and that hand we saw belongs to a zombie?

He wouldn't have to break his wrist he would have to break his thumb. Even that doesn't mean you would get out of them.

Merle was extremely dehydrated and clearly not thinking things all the way thru. He saw what he considered his best source of action and took it.

takerson
November 16th, 2010, 10:16 PM
I took the advice of a workmate and started watching this. I caught up with replays.

I'm loving this show so far, and can't wait 'til next week.

grimshaw
November 16th, 2010, 10:55 PM
A hacksaw like the one he had would do an ok job getting through 3mm of steel. In any case he'd have a pretty good shot busting the handcuffs using some of the tools as levers, or just as bludgeons. Cutting bone isn't easy, and cutting your own bone is probably really effing difficult.

Ah well put it down to 'he is stupid' i guess.

Vice
November 16th, 2010, 11:01 PM
I'd just say he was out of his mind at the time, and with zombies up against the door, he panicked. The black dude knew the lock would hold, but who knows if Dixon had that sort of confidence in it. If I was in his situation and was delirious and thinking I was about to die, I'd probably cut my hand off if I didn't make any immediate significant progress with cutting the handcuffs/whatever.

He is an uneducated hillbilly, not MacGyver.

Pablo Diablo
November 16th, 2010, 11:21 PM
Plus he's probably seen Saw.

On a serious note I know that some people in here have read the comics and so far they've been pretty good but if in the future you'd like to reference something that's coming that you know about because of the comic when you put it in a spoiler tag could you label it with "Comic Spoiler"?

Anything to that effect would be appreciated. Obviously I'm not a mod or anything, just thinking of a potential problem in the future.

Bert
November 17th, 2010, 12:08 AM
I would just cut off my thumb and slip the hand out. It's better than losing your whole hand.

grimshaw
November 17th, 2010, 12:14 AM
You could probably just break your hand or break/dislocate the thumb?

JRSlim21
November 17th, 2010, 12:47 AM
Just literally d/l and watched all 3 episodes til 4 in the morning. Gripping show. Very well done. I'm curious what Mr. Boondock Saint will do now that his brother is missing

Matty C
November 17th, 2010, 4:17 PM
We’re not really trying to rationalize the hand cutting are we? He would almost certainly go into shock while attempting to saw his hand off and then bleed to death shortly after. There is no rationalizing this, it's a zombie series, just go with it.

The Doc
November 17th, 2010, 7:33 PM
A hacksaw like the one he had would do an ok job getting through 3mm of steel. In any case he'd have a pretty good shot busting the handcuffs using some of the tools as levers, or just as bludgeons. Cutting bone isn't easy, and cutting your own bone is probably really effing difficult.

Ah well put it down to 'he is stupid' i guess.

That's kinda what I was thinking. And Matty we wanna rationalize it! It's fun to wonder why a guy would chop off his hand! Besides I'm genuinely curious as to how he got off the roof. I'm also curious as to how dead you have to be to not come back as a zombie (if it even works that way, could be like old school Dawn of the Dead where if you shoot a guy in the heart go to take a crap he'll be gone when you come back) so maybe he just leapt to his death to avoid becoming a geek.

Myles
November 19th, 2010, 4:05 PM
Well I caught up, I like this show but I'm not completely loving it.

The wife seems a bit shit, and the saving grace for me was tHat the gangster guy from boondock saints showed up. The main actor is good, and usually this type of sci fi zombie trash isn't my cup of tea, but so far it is decent enough. I'll keep going but it is not in the same class as breaking bad or mad men. Then again mad men took a while to build. :yes:

The Comet Kid
November 21st, 2010, 3:29 PM
Haven't read the comics but I assumed that Merle cut off his hand and ended up bleeding out on the rooftop but they just didnt show his body. His brother reacting the way he did I thought had to mean he died.

Deewun
November 21st, 2010, 3:44 PM
Comics spoilers:

Merle and his brother never existed in the comics. In episode 2, where Rick meets the group, there was no group in the comics, just Glenn. While a LOT of this has been straight out of the comics, the new stuff has been very cool.

Jimmy Zero
November 22nd, 2010, 11:57 AM
Ok, so last night's episode was the first one I really didn't dig. I thought the interaction between the two hot blond sisters at the beginning was absolutely fucking stupid. I was watching it with 3 friends, all of whom have really been loving this show as much as I have, and we all just busted out laughing at that ridiculous fishing story they told about their father.

The "showdown" between our guys and the Vatos was hit and miss for me. It was necessary because they obviously want to show how the pockets of survivors interact with each other when their paths cross, but I thought the whole bit was a bit too by the numbers.

The end was cool, as the Z killing picked up, but on the whole I'd definitely say this was the weakest episode we've gotten so far. Never the less, I'm amped and excited to see the next episode. All I know is I want Rooker back, and soon.

BTW, this is something that's really bothered me in that nitpicky geek sort of way. Have these people never read the Zombie Survival Guide? Why on earth would you set up a stationary camp with no apparent intention of ever moving it. That's just stupid.

Deewun
November 22nd, 2010, 12:36 PM
Kirkman stated that to make this work, no one has seen a zombie movie or read a zombie book.

I very much liked this episode. Robert Kirkman actually took the helm on this one, and you could tell. A lot of the dialogue is VERY Kirkman, from the fishing scene to Rick talking with the custodian in the retirement home. Not only that, but Jim got fleshed out a good bit, which I love, as I've always liked Jim. And then zombie killing action! I feel like some kind of soulless beast because I was just leaning forward and smiling, enjoying the carnage and slaying. Great episode. Number 2 is still the worst for me, and it was pretty awesome in itself.

The Rick
November 22nd, 2010, 1:54 PM
BTW, this is something that's really bothered me in that nitpicky geek sort of way. Have these people never read the Zombie Survival Guide? Why on earth would you set up a stationary camp with no apparent intention of ever moving it. That's just stupid.

Part of the deal Rick made with Dale (the RV guy) was that Dale could ravage the cargo truck for the hose he needed (and any thing else he wanted) to fix the RV in exchange for use of the bolt cutters. So the biggest means of transportation is out of commission at the moment.

I do agree with you on. the fishing moment: It was stupid. Better dialogue was needed. I think they wanted the viewer to bond with the younger sister. That way her death at the end of the show had more power behind it. She hadn't gotten much screen time, so I think they were trying to build the character a little more.

Yea the second show was the weakest for me as well. It lacked the tension with the "walkers" that the first built up.

Loving this show.

Alf
November 23rd, 2010, 12:32 PM
I loved it. The parts where they were following the blood trail, and finding out he'd cauterized his own wound was lovely. I like the showdown with the Mexican gang dudes, and I especially loved that it was all a front, and really they were bloody lovely blokes.

The Rick, you don't need to post stuff in spoiler tags if the ep has already been aired. There are UK viewers watching on the following friday, but they'd be idiots to look in this thread until they've caught up.

So, as Merle has the van... who reckons he lured the geeks to the camp to gain revenge for being left behind?

The Doc
November 23rd, 2010, 2:29 PM
I don't think Merle is a big enough dick to do that. Sure he's a racist prick but I don't get murder the last (white) people he knows about vibe off of him. If the geeks have anything to do with him (and I doubt they do. I think these guys had a false sense of security) it's more likely that blood loss and insane pain from cauterizing a wound just had him a bit loopy and he wasn't thinking straight.

I think it's safe to assume that a fair amount of the population hasn't read World War Z or Zombie Survival Guides and considering the speed at which these things always spread I think its safe to assume that surviving the lightning round has nothing to do with inteligence or survival instinct. Check Dawn of the Dead (remake) while there are hints that shits going bad the main charachter drives home takes a shower, gets it on with her man and then HOLY CRAP THE CITY IS ON FIRE!!!!!!!!!! In the Walking Dead the lead is unconscious for a few days. I don't know a lot about medicine but I don't recall him being on enough machinery to keep him alive indefinitely without care so I assume it was less than a week (okay it was probably magically a month or more since they had established scavenging techniques). By the time he wakes up the world is basically over and he survived not because he was a cop. Not because he was a loner but because for no good reason the zombies never checked what was behind door number 2.

What bugs me at the moment is that the Vatos had a working vehicle. It's not like the zombies seem to be so thick all the time that you can't plow through em with a car. Why didn't they zoom in grab bag o guns and zoom out?

JRSlim21
November 23rd, 2010, 8:33 PM
Especially if his own brother is among the potentially dead.

I also reckon a good amount of people has never read the books, but I can't imagine a group of people and not knowing some random fact about zombies.

The Doc
November 23rd, 2010, 9:05 PM
I was more commenting on the poster who said it's stupid to have a temporary settlement that can't up and leave a moments notice. And while I agree I don't think they've been attacked early or often enough to really have established that. Just like (and I'll watch the episode again) it seems like their idea of security is one guy sitting on top of his RV. . .during the day. No roaming patrols, no hard rules about sleeping inside something metal. These were arrogant bastards who were certain that they were safe.

son_of_foley
November 24th, 2010, 5:11 AM
I think the human relationships are coming across too forced and too quickly

Matty C
November 24th, 2010, 11:02 AM
I can see your point sof. I think it’s a result of them originally thinking that they only had six episodes to make them all work. It hasn’t bothered me in general but I think the fishing scene was definitely a nod to that problem. They tried to make us care, knowing she would be gone soon and that we probably didn’t much care up to that point.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this episode. I found the fish fry scene riveting because you knew something was going to happen but I was expecting Merle to storm the camp, not a zombie attack. Either way, I felt a lot of tension waiting for the inevitable conflict.

I liked the nod to other survivors and how they’re making it through things with the vatos. I totally didn’t expect them to just be a front.

Rick showed off how much of a badass he is as well, going in there ready for battle. They’re really trying to establish his steely demeanour.

I think Merle attacking the camp, or at least causing them a lot of trouble, will be the season finale.

son_of_foley
November 25th, 2010, 4:35 AM
I kinda prefer the vatos.

Vice
November 29th, 2010, 2:15 AM
Watching the most recent episode right now.

The scene between the sisters was just.. fucking hell. So fascinating and strangely beautiful. It just left me in awe. Nearly shed a tear, too. Might be my favorite scene from this show so far.

The Rick
November 29th, 2010, 2:24 AM

The scene between the sisters was just.. fucking hell. So fascinating and strangely beautiful. It just left me in awe. Nearly shed a tear, too. Might be my favorite scene from this show so far.

Fuck yes. :yes: The episode was good all around, but that scene might be the most powerful scene in the season. God I can't wait for next week, and dread the wait for the next season.

HHHnFoley_Rulez
November 29th, 2010, 2:42 AM
Uh oh, people dont "instantly" come back as zombies, instead taking like 12 hours, if not longer? :scared: Not cool in my book. Though I guess these are different "zombies" than the ones we're used to [/excuse]

:nono:

Cant help but see this CDC thing as a big cliché. The scientist is bound to be evil.

Deewun
November 29th, 2010, 2:46 AM
Comics spoilers

It is INSANE with this CDC thing, as NOTHING LIKE IT existed in the comics. I am at a total loss for the first time and have no clue what is going to happen. That is exciting, even if the guy IS bound to be evil.

Also, the Jim thing was handled perfectly, and was 100% like in the comics.

There is somethings INSANE bound to happen ... if they do as the comics ended. I'm very excited.

Vice
November 29th, 2010, 3:01 AM
The last scene was pretty goddamn amazing too. Good episode.

With Desmond going bonkers in the hatch and losing his freshest meat for experimenting, I'm thinking they might go back and grab Jim since he's going to be pretty damn fresh come dawn. Plus it'd do the whole "he died, and we don't want to kill Zombie Jim, but he can save us all" shit that these shows/movies seem to love to do these days.

Really hoping Morgan shows up too, as I loved his character in the first episode. And even though he's only been in that one episode, I actually care about him quite a bit.

The Rick
November 29th, 2010, 3:11 AM
they just shot walkers on the way in. They are fresh and convenient. I want a zombie Jeff and Merle Dixon meeting.

Thinking maybe Morgan might cross paths with the family that left the party.

Vice
November 29th, 2010, 3:29 AM
they just shot walkers on the way in. They are fresh and convenient.

Freshly killed, yeah, but they could have been rotting for quite some time now. Weeks even. With Jim, he'll either just turn or just have turned by the time they get to him (if they do, of course), so he'll actually be very fresh and could provide great samples to work with.

And speaking of Merle, why the hell did Darryl not create a stink about leaving camp, knowing that Merle is most likely still alive, kicking, and driving around in their car?

Maybe he will cross paths with Morgan.

Morrison
November 29th, 2010, 3:36 AM
there's a guy named desmond going bonkers in a hatch?

i think i know how this ends...

virms
November 29th, 2010, 4:45 AM
The scene between the sisters was amazing. At one point I thought she was going to let her kill her so they could be together as a way of her saying "i'm sorry."

I don't get the mentality of letting yourself or a loved one become a zombie though. Yeah, it's just years of seeing other zombie flicks where one person begs another to not let it happen, but it still just doesn't feel right. In the sister's case I can see the mentality of her thinking so she could say her goodbye and apology but in Jim's case I am not sure why he would want to become a walker. Really thought Darryl was going to put an arrow in his head.

there's a guy named desmond going bonkers in a hatch?

i think i know how this ends...

No you don't, and even if you did they wouldn't ever tell you how it ended anyways.

JRSlim21
November 29th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Well if Jim stayed & turned into one he'd probably be a detriment to the team. As far as the sisters are concerned, I thought the show operated under the guise that the team is unfamiliar with zombie knowledge

HHHnFoley_Rulez
November 29th, 2010, 1:18 PM
Do you mean with regards to the dead rising again? It does, however in the first few episodes Rick see's the guys wife as a zombie, so people who die become zombies themselves. I also assume they've all seen someone die. As well as the soldiers in uniforms etc who rise up, obivously not old corpses. Unless I misunderstood your point.

Multiple comic spoilers!

In fact, in the comic, Im think anyone who dies becomes a zombie - Rick shoots Shane, I believe, and he comes back. Also, the bite doesnt kill you - the fever does, so if you amputate the bite (one of the gang (the old man, I guess it was) gets a leg bite and they amputate and he's super duper in the comics.

Oh and as for the CDC in the comic, do they not meet a guy claiming to be a scientist with knowledge behind the zombieness - only to find he's a crackpot liar? Ok, not exactly the same scenario... I guess.

If they do the whole 'prison camp' bit they did in the comics for the 2nd series, it'd be EPIC.

Hlebsfall
November 29th, 2010, 1:36 PM
The episode with The Vatos. Did anyone else think the main one was basically Mexican Denzil Washington? From how he looked, to how he spoke, was weird.

virms
November 29th, 2010, 2:28 PM
Well if Jim stayed & turned into one he'd probably be a detriment to the team. As far as the sisters are concerned, I thought the show operated under the guise that the team is unfamiliar with zombie knowledge

Everybody knew the one sister was going to come back. That's why they kept having multiple discussions on what to do about it but ultimately did nothing because the other had a gun and wouldn't let anyone touch her.

Kure
November 30th, 2010, 5:26 PM
And speaking of Merle, why the hell did Darryl not create a stink about leaving camp, knowing that Merle is most likely still alive, kicking, and driving around in their car?

I thought they did a pretty good job when they were leaving, and the family separated from them, of showing Darryl. Darryl seemed to be pretty antsy about the whole thing. He didn't have a single line, but he seemed to be saying lots with his face. He has faith that nothing can kill his brother, but has no idea where he is.

Same thing with when they left Jim. I thought it appeared Darryl had thought about shooting Jim in the head with the crossbow, and that Jim almost expected him to do it, but that he just turn and left instead, because "We don't kill the living."

Darryl is one of the most interesting characters to me. He seems torn between the mentality of his brother and the "family" he now has.

Deewun
November 30th, 2010, 5:33 PM
Agreed, I am very much enjoying Darryl's presence within the show.

Mark84j
November 30th, 2010, 6:06 PM
I love this show, but I hate the direction it's [possibly] taking.

Beer-Belly
November 30th, 2010, 6:27 PM

The part where she let her zombie sister get close before shooting her was retarded, though. Move away before you fire that gun, you nutty bitch.

RockOverBoston
November 30th, 2010, 6:40 PM
Marathon this Sunday, gang. Tell a friend or 12.

Judas Iscariot
December 1st, 2010, 1:33 AM
Only saw the first two, finally caught up and caught the next two tonight.

I assume spoilers are OK.

Anyone else find themselves getting emotional behind the eyes when he saw his wife and son at the camp, knowing she was banging his best friend?

Or am I the only fag?

takerson
December 1st, 2010, 10:14 AM
You're not the only fag. :lol:

I must say, this past episode was "blah" until the end. The ending was VERY effective to me... as we FINALLY saw the only really level-headed person of the group (The Sheriff) lose his cool. They gambled EVERYTHING for this, and it was the first time he really had NO CLUE what to do and he finally lost his cool. Very effective.

Matty C
December 1st, 2010, 10:39 AM
Freshly killed, yeah, but they could have been rotting for quite some time now. Weeks even. With Jim, he'll either just turn or just have turned by the time they get to him (if they do, of course), so he'll actually be very fresh and could provide great samples to work with.

I wonder if the zombies that have been shot through the head are any good or not. I mean the whole point of shooting them in the head is to scramble their brains, wouldn't that make them useless as samples?

I wonder if he needs to remove a live brain, intact. Easier said than done, I agree but that would explain the heartbreak.

Also, having not read the comic spoilers, I feel that the scientist is going to purposely infect one of them to get his sample.

JRSlim21
December 1st, 2010, 10:52 PM
Well said. I can imagine the moment of insanity that Rick will have when he finds out about his wife technically cheating but not cheating on him. And I'm very curious as to what happens in the finale in that weird looking lab that looks like it was a stolen set from "the Tomorrow People."

Mark84j
December 5th, 2010, 9:11 PM
Won't be able to watch the final episode tonight... these next 24 hours will suck.

Andru
December 6th, 2010, 1:02 AM
Pretty emotional finale. Ill wait till later in the week to elaborate, so people have the chance to watch it. Probably one of my favorite episodes of any TV series I have ever enjoyed watching.

One Man Gang
December 6th, 2010, 1:02 AM
I thought the final episode of the season was alright since they didn't know the show would be back. Plenty of things set up for next season to flesh out.

Lord Humungus
December 6th, 2010, 1:34 AM
whats the deal with this series my kulaks

worth a look? i kind of think zombies are gay so their presence is a bit of a turn off

anything else about this series that merits a look??? amc has quality schlock so i might look at this

Andru
December 6th, 2010, 1:49 AM
whats the deal with this series my kulaks

worth a look? i kind of think zombies are gay so their presence is a bit of a turn off

anything else about this series that merits a look??? amc has quality schlock so i might look at this

Even though the show is called "The Walking Dead", there is very little zombie action featured in some of the episodes. IMO, the show seems to focus much more on the characters and how they are dealing living in a world in which they are on their way to extinction.

I myself usually enjoy the zombie genre, however, with this specific show, I much prefer the depth and relationships of the characters and how they react to the situation they are in.

Beer-Belly
December 6th, 2010, 3:16 AM
I don't see how this episode advanced anything. It seemed like they were stalling, really.

Darryl is awesome. I don't think he's in the comic, but he's the best character on the show. I don't know what happened to Merle. The teased his re-appearance in earlier episodes and then nothing came of it.

HHHnFoley_Rulez
December 6th, 2010, 7:25 AM
I don't see how this episode advanced anything. It seemed like they were stalling, really.

I think that was probably deliberate, even though they have a 2nd series now.

I guess I'll wack some spoilers on..

So I was wrong about the cliché evil scientist, thats a good thing!! I was sure he was going to abduct one of them for his experiments, however the thing with his wife and how she was TS19 really made you feel for the poor guy. The series kinda lacks a villain (aside from the dead and maaaaaaybe Murle) but in a way I think that's better as then theres more scope for the series.

Shane barricading Rick at the hospital initially in at the start was a nice touch to just say "hey, it wasnt random that a bed got there!".

The bit at the end, the like 30-45seconds of staring at Rick, I guess was to show how shit he now feels. He wanted the CDC to help and it was a failure, on top of this now people know he has his doubts they'll live.. it's a tough break for him.

I'm glad Dale and Andrea got out, I was a bit suspect when Andrea decided to stay and I thought it set up a relationship quite nicely.

The ending was pretty open ended, so they can literally go anywhere with it.

Only think I didnt like was the lack of zombies outside. That metal gate would have made a ton of noise, and the massive light, surely they would have been drawn to it? Even if they started to wander after a day, a lot more than like 5 should have been around... and on that note: Headshot with an axe. :hyper:

Oh and they explained the resurection thing! Woooo. Nice save. Even if it does sound a bit iffy, I guess it's more in line with peoples ability to deal with infection (even.. when ..... dead?).

Anyway, probably not on again till October 2011? God damnit!

edit:
Oh.. but what did Jenner tell Rick? He has AIDS? Carl is made of wood? Or more likely, Lori's up the duff? :chin:

Alf
December 6th, 2010, 10:40 AM
I reckon it is that Lori is up the duff. Didn't he do blood tests on them?

Anyone who has read the graphic novels... can you shed some light on it (in spoiler tags)?

grimshaw
December 6th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Yeah Dr Tancredi's definitely got a little one inside, surely (all speculation). And your man from Teachers reckons it's his but I'm not so sure.

I thought the brain scan video was utter tripe, boring. The rest of the episode was great, though. I'm kinda annoyed the blonde woman didn't die though, she does nothing but moan. Loved the hungover chinaman and Darryl is a mad dog. The rape(ish) scene was super interesting, too.

Kure
December 6th, 2010, 12:15 PM
"Up the duff?"

JRSlim21
December 6th, 2010, 1:26 PM
To be pregnant according to Urban Dictionary, which would make for a fantastic brawl between Rick and Shane

Deewun
December 6th, 2010, 1:38 PM

Anyone who has read the graphic novels... can you shed some light on it (in spoiler tags)?

Lori is INDEED pregnant ... in the comics. The mystery is whether it is Shane's or Rick's kid, though.

It was an ... interesting finale. It felt ... unnecessary. Probably because it never happened in the comics. The whole CDC thing, the whole TS-19 thing, Jenner ... none of that is in the comics. It was just a pointless way to get an explosion and kill off another side character. There is a moment in the comics (that hasn't happened in the show) that I thought for CERTAIN was going to be the finale, the final shot of season 1. Apparently not.

I did like that we got to see the grenade come back, and I like to think that the abused wife took it while cleaning to one day use on her husband, though she never got the chance.

The actors in this show are just phenomenal. I'm really drawn in by them, with very few exceptions. I look forward to seeing the casting of the next few additions to the cast that most certainly must be coming with Season 2.

Bothers me that we don't really get an closure on Merle. Though Darryl joining the "family" of the survivors more and more is a fun journey to watch.

The Rick
December 6th, 2010, 1:54 PM
I was disappointed by this episode. If it were just an episode in the line then it would have been good, but not great. The series built up show after show, and then the pay-off wasn't there. We know that there is going to be a second season, but this was to be a possible finish if there wasn't one. Maybe I was expecting too much.

Kure
December 6th, 2010, 1:58 PM
To be pregnant according to Urban Dictionary, which would make for a fantastic brawl between Rick and Shane

Thanks. I was thinking that's what it meant due to the context, but you never know these days. Apparently, I behind on the pregnancy slang.

JRSlim21
December 6th, 2010, 2:29 PM
It would've been very "Hollywood-ish" but considering they weren't sure that there would be a 2nd season, I was thinking we'd see Merle or Morgan & his son come out to the group.

Beer-Belly
December 6th, 2010, 2:35 PM
Does Shane get all rape-y in the comics? My friend has the first volume and I don't remember seeing that anywhere. It seemed pretty pointless. How would he think forcing Lori to have sex would help him in anyway?

Mark84j
December 6th, 2010, 3:08 PM
Does Shane get all rape-y in the comics? My friend has the first volume and I don't remember seeing that anywhere. It seemed pretty pointless. How would he think forcing Lori to have sex would help him in anyway?

Negative, never happened in the comics.

As for the episode - Well, the guy was drunk as hell. And borderline psychotic.

Kure
December 6th, 2010, 3:45 PM
He was drunk as hell, and he is under a large amount of stress and thinks he is in love. Before Rick came back, he was in charge, everyone did what he said, he had the woman he wanted, and he had become a sort of father figure to her son. Now, he's been pushed aside as everyone looks to Rick, just like they always did before.

Jimmy Zero
December 6th, 2010, 6:26 PM

That was a pretty weak scene. It came off as utterly forced and seemed to be a rather stupid thing for him to do in the situation they all find themselves. In fact, I'd say the melodrama around Shane and Lori has probably been my least favorite aspect of the show, so far. Is their relationship so soap opera-ish in the comics, too?

Anyways, I watched the arrival to the CDC episode for the first time, last night, before the finale. I enjoyed both episodes. I agree with HHHnFoley that the scientist not being some cliched evil weirdo was refreshing. I kind of wish we'd be seeing more of him, honestly.

Also, Andrea makes my pants get tighter when I look at her. She's a stone cold fox.

Deewun
December 6th, 2010, 6:59 PM
That was a pretty weak scene. It came off as utterly forced and seemed to be a rather stupid thing for him to do in the situation they all find themselves. In fact, I'd say the melodrama around Shane and Lori has probably been my least favorite aspect of the show, so far. Is their relationship so soap opera-ish in the comics, too?

They're relationship in the comics is moot, as Shane is shot in the face and killed by the end of issue 6. He was written off quickly.

I agree wholeheartedly. Knowing what I know from the comics (above), while I love the actor playing Shane ... I hate the chick playing Lori ... and those scenes are always REALLY forced to me.

SUPERDUPER SPOILER BELOW
Good thing the bitch gets gunned down in the comics in the most brutal way.

Jimmy Zero
December 6th, 2010, 7:02 PM
If they go that route in the show, I'll be a very happy guy.

The Doc
December 7th, 2010, 1:30 AM
I liked the finale quite a bit. I think the rape-y was thrown in because they really have to try to make him the bad guy. I'm sorry he made the right call selling Lori her husband was dead. He was on life support when the power went out, that kinda makes him dead. Even if that wasn't enough because it is possible he was in a hospital where the military were gunning people down and honestly no good reason why wouldn't have put one in him. And that bed isn't heavy enough to stop these zombies.

These aren't stupid zombies like we're used to. These things are problem solving smart. Maybe not as smart as raptors but we've seen them climbing fenses (Rather than just pushing against it until the weight of their numbers knock it down) we've also seen them using rocks to break windows back in episode 2. The idea that they wouldn't push a bed out of the way to get at the yummy meat package just laying there all unable to run. The fact that he lived is only cus he has the same stuff that keeps Jack Bauer alive. Plot Armor.

Maybe it's just me but if there is a zombie apocalypse and my best friend is fucking my girlfriend but she's alive, and so is my son. I'm going to personally thank him.

When I find out my wife is pregnant by him. I'm going to say you didn't use protection? You would bring a baby into this fucked up world!? But I would have assumed that my not unattractive wife and not unattractive friend (especially if they weren't so close that it's like a sister relationship)living in a world that might have less than twenty people in it period. Of course their fucking. If they weren't something would be terribly terribly wrong.

Beer-Belly
December 7th, 2010, 2:54 AM
There's a bunch of hub-jub going on about whether or not Frank Darabont fired the writers.

I think I'd enjoy the show more if they stayed as close to the source material as possible.

Deewun
December 7th, 2010, 4:01 AM
I don't mind a little fiddling with the source material. But it is plainly obvious that the large derivations (i.e. the finale) were awful by comparison. Fiddle with things, play around with who lives and dies, but let the story progress how Kirkman did it in the comics. He knew what he was doing. Hopefully he'll be doing another episode (at least one more) because the Vatos were just so SO endearing, and they came straight from that man's brain, which is why they worked.

Alf
December 7th, 2010, 7:46 AM
I thought the rapey scene was excellent. I haven't read the comics so can't compare it really.... but in terms of a drama it was a great scene. It was horrifying and uncomfortable, and it didn't feel like it was a leap for the character. He's a guy who had to leave his best mate for dead, he saved his family, he fell for his mates wife, he started a relationship with her, and then his mates shows up and she acts like nothing has happened. The guy is clearly a bit screwey what with the way he battered that guy, and aimed his shotty at Rick in the woods...

They are all under an insane amount of pressure and after a bit of booze it got out of hand. It doesn't feel forced to me at all, in fact it's natural. That kind of boozy rape happens all the time without the need for a zombie apocalypse and a back-from-the-dead love triangle to makes things more pressured.

Alf
December 7th, 2010, 7:50 AM
I don't mind a little fiddling with the source material. But it is plainly obvious that the large derivations (i.e. the finale) were awful by comparison. Fiddle with things, play around with who lives and dies, but let the story progress how Kirkman did it in the comics. He knew what he was doing. Hopefully he'll be doing another episode (at least one more) because the Vatos were just so SO endearing, and they came straight from that man's brain, which is why they worked.

I have to chime in here.

He wrote the ep didn't he? He didn't direct it... so credit has to go to the director too for maintaining the vision and style of the show, and for getting the correct performance out of the actors. There's an infinite number of ways you can interpret a script.

The ep doesn't stand out stylistically or from a character perspective for me, and it maintains and moves on the plot. The episode isn't an island. It is still part of the show, and is consistent with the rest of the show.

I think this is a placebo effect because fans of the graphic novels know he wrote them, know he wrote that ep... and so they project an extra dimension.

Deewun
December 7th, 2010, 10:44 AM
You missed my point. That episode introduced new material to the Walking Dead universe as we know it, the Vatos. The Vatos were not in the comic books. Compare how well written the Vatos were to Jenner and the CDC. You are certainly right, all the tone and style was there, and the director did a fantastic job. But the writing, the written word, the pace and flow from scene to scene, that is all very different than it was at the CDC. That is what I want to see if there is to be more new things within the context of the show.

Matty C
December 7th, 2010, 10:49 AM
I finally saw this last night. I thought it was a fairly gripping episode. I’m glad that I haven’t read the comics because it seems like those that loved them are the ones having the most trouble with the direction of the show. I’m really enjoying it.

Show spoilers

I completely agree that the scientist not being evil was great. I fully expected an evil turn but he was just a really depressed dude at the end of his rope. I was pretty surprised to see the black lady stay. I expected the blonde woman to stay or tease a stay, I didn’t expect the black woman to suddenly decide to pack it in.

I thought Shane’s scene made sense. He’s heart broken and been made out as a villain for essentially doing nothing but what he genuinely thought was best. He tried to save his best friend when many would have left him for dead, he legitimately thought he was dead so he took care of his family, then eventually fell in love with his wife, again thinking he was legit dead. Then Rick shows up and the woman he fell for hates him, he loses his leadership role (which he clearly relished) and he has to live with the double guilt of leaving him there and sleeping with his wife. He deals with all of this on top of being broken hearted. There is really no wonder the guy is screwed up. He got drunk and everything boiled over. It’s not out of line from a realism perspective at all.

I’m glad that wasn't the finale for the series though. I really want to know where it goes next. My wife says they got 16 million viewers for this episode, if that’s true AMC is probably kicking themselves for not filming more than six episodes.

She mentioned them firing all of the writers as well. I’m lost as to why they would do that…

You missed my point. That episode introduced new material to the Walking Dead universe as we know it, the Vatos. The Vatos were not in the comic books. Compare how well written the Vatos were to Jenner and the CDC. You are certainly right, all the tone and style was there, and the director did a fantastic job. But the writing, the written word, the pace and flow from scene to scene, that is all very different than it was at the CDC. That is what I want to see if there is to be more new things within the context of the show.

I really didn't notice that much of a difference at all. I agree with Alf in it being overstated due to the source of the material.

Kure
December 7th, 2010, 10:53 AM
I am too, considering the writing has been top notch up to this point.

Alf
December 7th, 2010, 10:55 AM

The tone and flow is dictated by the edit more than the script. I guarantee there was a lot of content they had to cut when they got to the editing stage.

Jenner and the CDC had to be different. There had to be contrast between those two sets of characters and areas because they are so vastly different. On the one hand you have a group who have to act tough and ruthless to survive, and who are very much in the middle of the horror... and then you have a dude who is isolated, protected, safe, and clinical.

And really, I don't think there is a massively noticable shift in tone from episode to episode.

grimshaw
December 7th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Yeah actually if I'm honest I think Dr Jenner was a far more realistic character than the Vatos, who would almost surely have stood down in that standoff long before it got that far, if they were as good-natured as they were made out to be later. I found their story interesting but I thought the script sacrificed realism and relatability for comic effect.

Beer-Belly
December 7th, 2010, 5:33 PM
The guy who plays Rick looks like a mixture of Dennis and Charlie from "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia".

Alf
December 9th, 2010, 6:43 AM
Lads... I just picked this up...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Walking-Dead-Compendium-1/dp/1607060760/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291891378&sr=8-1

Tremendous value.

UncannyIowan
December 10th, 2010, 2:21 PM
I haven't really been into any shows since The Shield and this is a great one to follow. Too bad there weren't very many episodes but I know Season 2 is in the future and I can't wait. I knew about the comics, just never read them, definitely going to now.

The Doc
December 17th, 2010, 2:17 AM
Yeah actually if I'm honest I think Dr Jenner was a far more realistic character than the Vatos, who would almost surely have stood down in that standoff long before it got that far, if they were as good-natured as they were made out to be later. I found their story interesting but I thought the script sacrificed realism and relatability for comic effect.

For me it goes further than that. I'm rewatching the series over the next week or so. The entire confrontation shouldn't have happened. Your in zombie land and you a) dont' notice a guy standing in the open instead of say hiding behind a trash can for a while. b) when he asks you to quiet down rather politely you don't remember the zombie horde your summoning?

Not to mention they had a car and causing a ruckus at one end of the block, just enough that you draw away enough that the car can roll over them, knock them aside, etc and grab the bag o guns?

If you were worried about marauders make the trade man for man trade (unless your men are expendable cus marauders aren't going to care) it's like they did EVERYTHING stupid.

They're cool cus the concept is cool but I find it to be the worst episode (granted I only get six to pull from)

It felt like they had five episodes and then one filler cus nobody knew what to do.

I guess it's a good thing I'm not on the show, when I'm hiding from killer cannibals with a crossbow I ask you to be quiet twice. Then I shot out your larynx, reload and go back to protecting me and mine.

PS: Am I the only one that thinks that something about Dr. Jenners really reminds them of Dexter. I'm not sure what exactly I'm seeing. I just know that I'm watching this a second time and I'm getting the same vibe.

Also considering how little time was left and how little hope he had left he was kinda being a dick not letting the kids get some Ms.Pacman in.

Wooooo
December 19th, 2010, 5:51 PM
I haven't read through a lot of this thread as I don't want it to be ruined for me, I'm only a few episodes in.

BUT

As soon as I watched the first episode I said "fucking hell, he looks like the guy from this life" and it is....

Slare
December 19th, 2010, 6:41 PM
wow

Wooooo
December 19th, 2010, 8:01 PM
Crazy times

son_of_foley
January 4th, 2011, 9:40 AM
This was awful. Nothing but filler. The premise of the last episode was sensational and ended up being some wishy washy bullshit about how drink can turn people into demons. Awful

son_of_foley
January 4th, 2011, 9:46 AM

Of course she would be, it's the simplest most bullshit way for the character to go.

Called the black woman staying, felt a bit pointless as you knew fuck all about her. It's a shame they couldn't have crowbarred her going fishing with a relative to make us care more

Why hasnt he asked whats going on? He's been out for a week or whatever found his family and hasnt said to anyone hey how did all this start? He didnt ask to doctor or anything else. What the fuck?

Why are they all so stupid? MY GOD THE BRAIN IT'S REACTIVATED THE BRAIN! OHH MY GOD. What the fuck do you thinks been going on? I mean jesus christ. 2 of them are taken axes to the fucking glass and it doesnt work so some retard hits it with a chair. A fucking chair. GOOD WORK DICKHEAD

The only thread im in anyway interested in is the lad they left by the roadside. If he becomes a sentinent being as a zombie I'll be back on board. He won't though they will hint he will then they'll kill him STUPID STUPID STUPID

THIS HURTS MY INSIDES

The Doc
January 7th, 2011, 5:55 PM
He hasn't asked because he already knows. And he already knows because we already know what's going on, at least as much as anybody on the show knows.

And they didn't know what was going on was aside from destroying the brain kills them they had no way of knowing it was bringing the brain back or how. They know about the fever and that it's (now) spread by bites. Presumably based on the numbers it's air borne or at least one strain is and all the survivors are immune to the air borne strain. They don't seem to bleed so their hearts aren't working, judging by limb loss and how much blood would be lost from said wounds their muscles don't need oxygen to function. Why would they assume that the brain is functioning and on what level?

son_of_foley
January 18th, 2011, 5:08 AM
How else would they be moving if the brain wasnt firing on some level? If something is moving and destroying the brain stops it you dont think it maybe would be self-evident that the brain is still in some way active? I mean it would be a massive suprise to you on the level it was to them. I mean I know this is zombie science and all but come on.

What do you mean he already knows? He already knows how it started? When it started? Where it started? What happened with the president with everything else. What news got out before the signals went dead. Whether it's in other countries. They knew about the safe military area but they havent mentioned anything else. You dont find that weird that they havent shared any of it yet, even if it was misdirection and hearsay before revealing the truth in a few seasons time? I think the basis and start of the outbreak is a very pivotal point of the storytelling.

The Doc
January 18th, 2011, 6:08 AM
How else would they be moving if the brain wasn't working? How are their muscles working when the heart clearly isn't pumping and their muscles aren't getting oxygen? There is X amount of magic we are simple accepting to get the story moving in the first place. Take the brain is zombie science as you put it but it's like wooden stakes for vamps. It's not that it makes sense it's just what works.

To your second question it was basically answered in episode 1. It's airborn. It killed damn near everybody. It's global (answered in episode 6) and fucked over everybody around the world. It doesn't need explaining cus honestly zombie infestations rarely get explained. We just accept it as an audience and thus the haven't wasted screem time pointing it out

Alf
January 18th, 2011, 6:31 AM
And the whole point is... why would they know?

They'd only know what is going on through media reports while society crumbles. They aren't privy to any kind of information.

son_of_foley
January 18th, 2011, 6:41 AM
I know there is X amount of magic. I'm not questioning the science or underlying concepts of Zombiefication and saying it's unrealistic. I'm saying the shocking news that the brain is somehow working, was not that shocking. If it's the point that kills them, then you would assume that it's active. I mean that makes sense right? If a stake through the heart kills a vampire would you be suprised if in a tv show they said my god the Vampires heart is still beating? If it's the control point of the zombie it has to be engaged in someway.

The muscles moving etc is a scientific point about zombies. It's not pivotal to how they die therefore not really relevent. The fact is they are aware that the brain is the control point for zombies (ie the target for killing them) and therefore it shouldnt be played up as a massive suprise that it's been re-activated.

It's global but to what degree. It started where and when?

Zombie Infestations should be explained. It's an important crux as it lets you know the parameters for success. Is there somewhere they can escape to? If not is there a military controlled area? If not is there any end in sight. I mean thats surely the only reason they brought that Dr in to lead us to believe that science, or conventional science, has failed in finding a cure. It's to give us the parameters of the storyline and I personally believe the origins and early impacts contribute to that.

I mean in 28 days later doesn't Cillian Murphy as soon as he can speak to someone say what the fuck happened? What about muh what about muh didnt this happen? Ohh fuck and then boom we at least know he can't just sail to france and be ok.

I thought World War Z showed the strength in defining the origins of what happened. Even just monitoring the spread of it and timelines. I don't see it as any more a waste of screen time than what happened with the doctor. They are trying to explore human themes as much as possible around this and I think peoples instant reactions to the trauma would be more interesting to their interactions with a DR who let them in but failed to mention the place would be self-destructing in 1 day

son_of_foley
January 18th, 2011, 6:46 AM
And the whole point is... why would they know?

They'd only know what is going on through media reports while society crumbles. They aren't privy to any kind of information.

Thats pretty much exactly what I put in. What they could have gleamed from media reports. What reason they have for believing they have any chance of survivial? Why they havent killed themselves? Where are they heading? What areas are possible for them to go to. It's not a massive thing but for realism it makes sense.

I'm not asking for answers but just the belief that Andrew Lincolns character cares about what happened before he woke up. That he wants to know, that he needs to know something. I understand it doesnt change the situation they find themselves in massively but a bit of background about how they got there seems more important to me than two women discussing how they used to go fishing

JRSlim21
January 18th, 2011, 10:25 AM
For those who have AMC (not sure if it airs internationally & where), all 6 episodes being run again tonight & tomorrow beginning at 8pm EST

Deewun
March 13th, 2011, 2:45 PM
So the DVD came out (20 bucks, 22 on bluray here!) and I am in love all over again. While I wish there were commentaries on the six episodes, there were HOURS of documentary/featurette footage, so its a wash.

And it got me thinking. Season 2 is a big deal, and will be introducing at least a handful of new characters that we KNOW will show up (from the comic), as well as some we don't. So I figure I'll get the ball rolling before the casting actually starts to see what you guys think. And just in case you don't know these characters from the comics or the interviews Kirkman and Darabont have been doing, I'll spoiler them.

So we have Tyrese (T-Dogg is confirmed to NOT be Tyrese), and then Herschel's family, importantly Herschel and Maggie. Michonne may show up early, as may Morgan! With 13 episodes, a lot can happen, though I suspect that we won't get to the prison until the season finale. So what do you guys think of these guys for casting? I gotta think myself, but I figured I'd bring it up to you while I thought.

Delta Devil
March 13th, 2011, 3:03 PM
The first season was about half and half for me, most because I've been an immense WD fan since the first arc of the book. When you know the entire story already it feels much like a level below disappointing when episodes don't follow the book at all, but I still adore this series in every way. The world has been introduced to us... Now we can get into the nitty gritty.

Prison.
Michonnnnne.
And the Governor can be the 3rd season. Please, please.

The Rick
March 14th, 2011, 1:32 AM
The first season was about half and half for me, most because I've been an immense WD fan since the first arc of the book. When you know the entire story already it feels much like a level below disappointing when episodes don't follow the book at all, but I still adore this series in every way. The world has been introduced to us... Now we can get into the nitty gritty.

I can see where you are coming from on most of the episodes, except the first. I really feel the first episode is better than the comic. The feeling that the writers and director created in the first episode was pure excellence. The imagery with the little girl zombie was jarring and almost in a "zombie way" beautiful. One of my favorite opening episodes for any show.

I've just gotten through vol.3 13-18 Rick an co. are just getting directed to the door at the prison. My next two volumes are on order. I don't know if the the material before the Prison can fill a full season. Plus we don't know if they will go that way. They have added characters left and right, and made a facility as their finale. PlusShane is still currently a party member
As for the second season.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBaYVo89mmY&feature=related

virms
March 14th, 2011, 8:23 PM
Got the first seaon on blu ray for a mere $22. At some point in time it is supposed to jump up to $49. Not sure when or if it ever will but $22 is a great price even without all the features it contains.

I probably won't even open this up until it comes time for season 2 to start. Will do a couple day session of all the episodes and features to get really pumped up for the start of season 2.

The Rick
June 8th, 2011, 7:29 PM
on the little girl scene

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u--EB3ZNz70

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NgnBSaOyUY&feature=related

New preview photos of season two
spoiler for size
http://blogs.amctv.com/photo-galleries/the-walking-dead-season-2-production-photos/walkers-1.php

http://media.amctv.com/photo-gallery/TWD-Season-2-Production-Photos/First-Look-Walkers-Makeup-760.jpg

Not really much, but enough to get me excited for the next season.

Deewun
June 8th, 2011, 8:23 PM
Love that chick's eyes. Season 2 of Walking Dead is going to be all kinds of awesome. I'm very very excited.

lotjx
June 8th, 2011, 9:51 PM
I watched it again a few weeks ago and I forgot how awesome it was. I read the first 4 Trades and I am not going to get fanboy pissy about the CDC thing since it is a logical place to go. The convention, I am going to has the two kids, J-Dog and the Redneck, too bad the Q&A is the next day. I would love to hear even some small spoilers for season 2.

Deewun
June 23rd, 2011, 1:32 PM
First bit of casting news!!

http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/2011/06/pruitt-taylor-vince-in-the-walking-dead.php

Bert
July 14th, 2011, 12:59 PM
http://blogs.amctv.com/breaking-bad/2011/07/the-walking-dead-season-2-sneak-peek.php

On Sun., Jul. 17th, during the premiere of Season 4 of Breaking Bad, AMC is sneaking a first-look video from the upcoming season of The Walking Dead. Season 1 of The Walking Dead premiered in Oct. 2010 and became the most watched drama series in basic cable history among Adults 18-49.* The Walking Dead tells the story of the months and years that follow after a zombie apocalypse.

It's not like you should even need more reasons to watch Breaking Bad, but there you go.

Deewun
July 20th, 2011, 10:08 AM
Some casting news I haven't seen anyone bring up: Hershell Greene and his daughter, Maggie!

http://tvovermind.zap2it.com/cable/amc/the-walking-dead/the-walking-dead-season-2-casting-news-greene-family/63043

Oh, and Michonne details:

In an interview, Darabont stated soundly Michonne won't show up until Season 3.

Jimmy Zero
July 20th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Wait, who was MIchonne?

Please tell me it wasn't Rooker's character?

Deewun
July 20th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Michonne is a comic book character that is notoriously bad ass. Some folks have thought she could show up this season, but it makes more sense for her to show up next season, and now it is confirmed that that will be the case. Which also means that Season 3 should be Prison Season! Which will be immense, considering ALL THE SHIT that goes on there

Deewun
July 22nd, 2011, 4:22 PM
Season 2 trailer. >>>>>> HERE (http://www.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/videos/the-walking-dead-season-2-trailer-from-comic-con)

I just came.

Delta Devil
July 22nd, 2011, 4:27 PM
Song is
Wye Oke - Civilian.

I'm glad somebody somebody put that song on a trailer. Great track.

Bert
July 22nd, 2011, 7:55 PM
Season 2 trailer. >>>>>> HERE (http://www.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/videos/the-walking-dead-season-2-trailer-from-comic-con)

I just came.

The Walking Dead - season 2 trailer

Miotch
July 22nd, 2011, 8:25 PM
OH MY GOD

Clutch
July 22nd, 2011, 11:12 PM
FUCKING CHRIST I ALMOST CAME :beer:

canttttttttt wait

Kdestiny
July 22nd, 2011, 11:28 PM
holy shitballs...

That was awesome!

The Rick
October 10th, 2011, 1:07 PM
its coming
http://cdn.screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/walking-dead-2.jpg
6 days bitches

One Man Gang
October 10th, 2011, 1:10 PM
I forgot this show existed.

The Rick
October 10th, 2011, 1:14 PM
I forgot this show existed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iCl0GTCjkE&feature=related

remember now?

Sweet_Chin_Music
October 10th, 2011, 1:17 PM
Michonne is a comic book character that is notoriously bad ass. Some folks have thought she could show up this season, but it makes more sense for her to show up next season, and now it is confirmed that that will be the case. Which also means that Season 3 should be Prison Season! Which will be immense, considering ALL THE SHIT that goes on there

God I can't wait for Michonne to show up.

And they've shown them arriving at the prison in the trailer, which I'm assuming is going to be the end of season 2. Which would be perfect, cuz it ends on a high note in terms of hope for everyone's survival.

Greed
October 10th, 2011, 1:26 PM
Watching the finale of the first series. What a gripping and hard hitting show

Delta Devil
October 10th, 2011, 1:32 PM
Finished the first season again. I feel another thing I hope is optimized is the story progression. While Rick finds his way to the camp, and reunites with his family, that's pretty much the state of the show for 3 episodes. But there's also backtracking, something I highly frowned upon.

Point A: Hospital ............Episode 1
Point B: House ...............Episode 1-2
Point C: city .................. Episode 2
Point D: camp ................Episode 3
Point C: back to city ........Episode 3-4
Point D: back to camp .....Episode 5
Point E: Lab ...................Episode 6

The backtracking was a waste of 2 episode IMO. A third of the entire short season.

There needs to be an actual sense of these characters moving forward throughout the whole season, rather than sitting in the same spot during the middle acts. The best episodes were the first and last ones, with the rest being a chasm of "Can we move along please?"

That being said, I still enjoyed the fuck out of this show. My main attention will be on Shane though, most people already know why.

One Man Gang
October 11th, 2011, 2:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iCl0GTCjkE&feature=related

remember now?

I shall try to remember to watch again.

Deewun
October 11th, 2011, 2:55 PM
I'm very very excited. I cannot wait to see these characters again, brought to life as they are. Sure, Darabont is gone, but the show is in good hands, and everyone is stoked to be doing it. The little changes, like Shane, and T-Dog, those are the things that are so incredible. And a herd showing up THIS early! Oh man. I'm ready, start this show up!!

Seanny One Ball
October 11th, 2011, 6:25 PM
I'm ready for this again, I was a dedicated follower of the first season and was bitterly disappointed when I heard no word of a second season.

I am now delighted and hugely anticipating it, I can't stress how finely acted the first season was. It was a masterclass.

Jimmy Zero
October 11th, 2011, 6:42 PM
I'm getting antsy for this to come back. The only bad thing about the first season was that it was 6 episodes.

Seanny One Ball
October 11th, 2011, 6:51 PM
It was ludicrously short for such a watchable programme.

I thoroughly enjoyed it because I stepped in with one expectation and one expectation only...that was to see some incredibly well visualised zombies.

Say anything you like about TWD but the zombies were fucking amazing. The first rotting torso you see is one of the best introductions to the visual identity of the zombies encountered in any tv show or movie.

They were pretty brilliant.

The Rick
October 15th, 2011, 9:06 PM
For those needing a little refresher, the first season is up on Netflix currently. I am so stoked for this.

The Doc
October 16th, 2011, 12:09 PM
They are also doing a marathon at least where I live. So you can watch the whole first season and then end with the first episode of next season if you like.

Edit: I know some of you are East Coast and beyond. As of this post (9am Pacific) it should still be a few hours out for the east coast. But if you wanna watch go check right goddamn now if it's still the 16th!

Big
October 16th, 2011, 1:03 PM
Fuck.... Dexter, Homeland, Boardwalk Empire and Walking Dead all in one night for me.

Delta Devil
October 16th, 2011, 2:12 PM
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMG. :eek::eek::eek:

The Walking Dead - Five Minutes From the Season 2 Premiere - YouTube

Deewun
October 16th, 2011, 2:14 PM
Oh man, DD ... I want to watch that sooooooooo much ... gotta be strong. Gotta ignore the temptation.

Delta Devil
October 16th, 2011, 9:00 PM
Here we go.

Jimmy Zero
October 16th, 2011, 9:28 PM
Half way point.

This is incredible. Rick is THE MAN.

lotjx
October 16th, 2011, 9:37 PM
Tension thy is Walking Dead.

Delta Devil
October 16th, 2011, 10:24 PM
Rick's speeches are big time wasters.

Still, loving this opener!

Jimmy Zero
October 16th, 2011, 10:30 PM
That was fucking awesome. No complaints from me.

Deewun
October 16th, 2011, 10:32 PM
Really enjoyed the episode, though I felt it dragged in the second half. If this episode had been edited down a bit, I bet it would have been perfect. But as a season opener, I'm stoked. And I am SOOOOO fucking glad that T-Dogg didn't bite the dust! I thought he was a goner.

The Rick
October 16th, 2011, 11:01 PM
I liked the episode quite well myself. I actually like Lori a bit in this first episode, and the tension between characters was brought out well. (didn't much care for her in the first season)

And I am SOOOOO fucking glad that T-Dogg didn't bite the dust! I thought he was a goner.

agreed
I thought for sure that they were going to off someone to start the season. As soon as he started spurting I figured well there we go. They lose T-Dog so they can pick up Tyreese and his two.

virms
October 17th, 2011, 2:23 AM
What an amazing fucking show. The tension when the herd came through was unreal. Just brilliant from top to bottom really. I actually jumped at the end of the episode and I can't remember the last time a movie or tv show had me this firmly locked in.

I can't wait for next week.

Jacknife
October 17th, 2011, 8:37 AM
Loved the ending. that kid is damn annoying, as is Rick's hat, hope that goes away too.

Matty C
October 17th, 2011, 8:43 AM
My wife is bothered by Rick's hat as well. What's the deal with that? :lol:

I really enjoyed the opener too. I'm interested in seeing how the end scene pans out over the next few weeks.

lotjx
October 17th, 2011, 8:55 AM
If you read the comics and saw the farm in the previews, you know what was coming. Still, great opener and I am glad they are taking the show in the same direction as the comics while leaving them room to maneuver for the rest of the series.

grimshaw
October 17th, 2011, 10:07 AM
The opening radio call scene was complete dogshit, but it certainly picked up. The scene on the road was magical.

Jimmy Zero
October 17th, 2011, 10:13 AM
The radio call scene was like, 30 seconds.

Delta Devil
October 17th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Loved the ending. that kid is damn annoying, as is Rick's hat, hope that goes away too.

Carl's not doing much of anything, what makes him annoying?

lotjx
October 17th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Carl is much more of a Bad Ass in the books which is probably the one and only complainant with the show. However, they are slowly building him up with getting the tools, following Rick's lead and volunteering to go after Sophia. How he becomes a bad ass early on will probably never take place even though it would make for some shocking TV.

Matty C
October 17th, 2011, 10:30 AM
The radio call scene was like, 30 seconds.

True but I kind of get where he's coming from. Rick's little monologues seem to drag a bit sometimes. They really seem to like having him go on and on by himself. At times it works well and at other times I find them a bit off. It's not a huge problem at all but I've noticed it a bit too.

grimshaw
October 17th, 2011, 11:08 AM
I didn't say it was long.