PDA

View Full Version : Who is the future "face" of WWE?

EdgeHead469
June 30th, 2010, 8:01 PM
Ted DiBiase. The Miz. Wade Barrett. Sheamus. Drew McIntyre. Cody Rhodes. Dolph Ziggler. Jack Swagger.

All of these men are superstars who are on the rise in the WWE. They all have potential to be in the main-event according to one source, fans or talent scouts alike. However, there is one issue. They are all heels. So where does that leave the future of the WWE for the faces of the land?

Evan Bourne? John Morrison? Kofi Kingston? Christian?

Christian is old. He has a few good feuds left in him but is nowhere near earning the label of "future star." John Morrison has been on a roller coaster ride, jumping in and out of the main-event scene -- mostly out. Kingston messed up his huge momentum. Bourne looks to be on a roll but will it last?

Is the WWE having trouble finding their next Undertaker, John Cena, Triple H, Shawn Michaels or even Rey Mysterio? They seem to be finding their next C.M. Punk's, Chris Jericho's and "pre-face," Randy Orton's just fine.

And if NXT has shown us anything, the heels are the most talented. Hennig, Riley, Harris, Tarver and Skip just to name a few.

So, who is the next big time face of the brand?

Atty
June 30th, 2010, 8:02 PM
Randy Orton. For the next decade. He's still young.

Funboy
June 30th, 2010, 8:05 PM
The next big face is the next big mega-heel, just like Orton; turned because the crowd just love them, despite their heelish antics. That, or Daniel Bryan.

Cewsh
June 30th, 2010, 8:07 PM
John Cena, Randy Orton and Edge for about another decade.

Newf
June 30th, 2010, 8:08 PM
"Finding their next Punks, Jerichos and Ortons (yeah, that's how it's done, learn to use apostrophes) just fine"? These men don't need to be replaced. These men ARE the next Takers, Triple Hs and Michaels.

Cena isn't part of that "older" group because Cena has plenty gas left in the tank. He's in with the young bucks. The guys you mentioned are current. They are the faces of the company, in one way or another, or at varying times of the year. Do they have the same "value" as HHH, HBK or Taker? Not yet, but give them a few more years. With those 3 all currently off TV they're certainly doing a good job filling in if you ask me.

Punk and Orton have only just recently REALLY come into their own and Jericho has proved he's still got plenty to give since reinventing himself. In another few years it'll be the guys you mentioned earlier.

Wrestlings too cyclical to really put a label on any one guy or group of guys as the face anyway, and you can't really say someone is the future so-and-so. There's too many variables and circumstances that allow someone to reach the heights they did at one time to expect someone to reach those same heights as another.

Tempest
June 30th, 2010, 8:09 PM
Rhodes will be big, Cena and Orton will be on top for a long time and the other big guns are unpredictable.

Cewsh
June 30th, 2010, 8:12 PM
Jericho actually does need to be replaced.

He is going to start fading fast here in the next few years. Nobody working right now has the kind of miles on them that he has.

Tempest
June 30th, 2010, 8:15 PM
Jericho does need replacing because a guy like him is so rare that the business will struggle without. Who else can be that over and lose and be dropped so often and be as big? No-one.

Hero!
June 30th, 2010, 8:37 PM
The 3 Legacy boys will all be big players for a long time.

I can also see Percy Watson becoming a HUGE face in the future.

Ochoa
June 30th, 2010, 8:44 PM
Jericho can stay as long as he wants in active competition.

Atty
June 30th, 2010, 9:04 PM
Jericho actually does need to be replaced.

He is going to start fading fast here in the next few years. Nobody working right now has the kind of miles on them that he has.

Jericho's adapted his style over the years and I don't see some sudden drop off for him. Shawn had more miles on him and he didn't have some massive drop off. Actually, I think that's a decent comparison to illustrate how I figure Jericho's career will go. I suspect he'll be one of those guys who starts getting time off fairly regularly as his career goes on, much like Shawn did.

I don't see anyone who can take Jericho's place on the roster, though. Maybe Punk, but Jericho's in a unique spot. The only other guy I've seen who could job to anyone and still be a credible champion/contender at any moment is The Rock. I'm seeing that trait in Punk, but not to the same degree.

EdgeHead469
June 30th, 2010, 9:17 PM
Punk, Jericho and Edge could lose five straight matches and be right back in the title hunt the next week. As you said, Shawn and Rock had that impact, but I would throw Edge into that list also.

Atty
June 30th, 2010, 9:32 PM
I actually wouldn't have Edge on that list. If he's in a proper feud (see: Taker), he can pull off losing every time, but that's different altogether. That was in the context of a feud that dictated him getting pounded in each match. I don't think he could go out and do what Rock did with Hurricane or Jericho with Bourne without taking a hit.

Cewsh
June 30th, 2010, 9:35 PM
Jericho's adapted his style over the years and I don't see some sudden drop off for him. Shawn had more miles on him and he didn't have some massive drop off. Actually, I think that's a decent comparison to illustrate how I figure Jericho's career will go. I suspect he'll be one of those guys who starts getting time off fairly regularly as his career goes on, much like Shawn did.

I don't see anyone who can take Jericho's place on the roster, though. Maybe Punk, but Jericho's in a unique spot. The only other guy I've seen who could job to anyone and still be a credible champion/contender at any moment is The Rock. I'm seeing that trait in Punk, but not to the same degree.

Actually, Jericho has wrestled substantially more matches at this point than Shawn ever did.

Jericho has actually wrestled the most matches in WWE history, and that doesn't even include his 10 years before he got there. Expecting him to deteriorate with age and injury isn't unreasonable.

Atty
June 30th, 2010, 9:38 PM
They have stats on who's wrestled the most? I'd like to see those.

It terms of Jericho vs. Shawn for wear, Shawn had many more problems with injury and a great deal more blood loss through this point in his career than Jericho has.

virms
June 30th, 2010, 9:40 PM
Edge has already said he plans on retiring within the next 3 or 4 years.

Jericho definitely is something special and I agree with atty that he will probably be like another HBK in the fact we see him standing strong in the next decade.

Cena will obviously be around.

Orton definitely needs to be one of the faces. I am not even sure if he is 30 yet.

CM Punk definitely should be one. I kind of see him slowly taking over the role Jericho has now.

Like it or not HHH will be around another 10 years in the ring or close to it.

Barret has oodles and oodles of potential.

By far the most surprising for me is gonna have to be the Miz. If someone would have told me a year ago I thought he had a chance of being one of the top people in the WWE I would have laughed in their faces.

I still have hopes for guys like MVP, Bourne and Morrison. MVP really should have had it by now so I am not sure if we will ever see him fully get to be a face of the company. He was kinda like Kennedy (anderson) and could never just really get that last bump in over the top. Same with Christian, but I suspect a lot of his not being able to ever fight the spotlight is due to shit booking.

xpacnumber1fan
June 30th, 2010, 9:48 PM
I dont think he has wrestled more matches than Taker. But Jericho can probably go for 25 more years. Flair is still wrestling and he has probably double the matches Jericho does. Jericho is practically injury free.

Edge doesnt look like he has too much left in the tank though.

Kure
June 30th, 2010, 9:50 PM
Jericho could be a great heel manager or color commentator after his wrestling days are over, if he even has any desire to do that. That being said, I love the guy, and always have, and I hope he has a few years left.

Punk can be a huge face. He's one of those guys that is heel magic but the fans would support him if he turned face tomorrow. You've mentioned all these guys who have been good heels, but you have to remember that it is easier to get over as a heel than it is a face. Babyface's don't come off as well as they did back in the day, and it is becoming more and more common for guys to get over as heels and carry that over into their face role. Some guys, like Cena, can be great faces. Some, like Edge, are terrible faces and ought to be heels for eternity. There is nothing wrong with that. Ric Flair should never be anything but heel. Ricky Steamboat should never be anything but a face. They are two of the greatest wrestlers in history.

I think it is easier to play a heel in wrestling than it is to place a face. I don't see The Miz turning face anytime soon, and I think Rhodes is better off heel. Kaval and Danielson, if he comes back, can be good faces. Hennig seems to have heel tendencies, so who knows on his end. Husky I could see playing both sides.

Evan Bourne is going to be at least high mid-card face for a few years, even if at some point he has to tone down his ring style. I just can't picture him as a good heel. Thinking outside the box, could Sheamus be a face at some point? How about Barrett? They have been good heels, but I honestly think Barrett could pull off a face run some day.

Regal got some good face pops for awhile, and I NEVER would have imagined that when watching him wrestle earlier. At some point, you transcend face and heel, like the Rock, Austin, Jericho to some extent, or now Orton and maybe Punk. These guys are going to get a reaction no matter what side they are on.

It used to be that veteran's were the better heels because they were in a better position to call the match and the babyface would take more of the bumps. That seems to have changed some in recent years.

Cewsh
June 30th, 2010, 9:51 PM
They have stats on who's wrestled the most? I'd like to see those.

It terms of Jericho vs. Shawn for wear, Shawn had many more problems with injury and a great deal more blood loss through this point in his career than Jericho has.

I dont think he has wrestled more matches than Taker. But Jericho can probably go for 25 more years. Flair is still wrestling and he has probably double the matches Jericho does. Jericho is practically injury free.

Edge doesnt look like he has too much left in the tank though.

Check the WWE Magazine special they just released with all the trivia. Jericho comes out well ahead.

Atty
June 30th, 2010, 9:54 PM
Yeah, I'm not buying WWE Magazine...

Kure
June 30th, 2010, 9:56 PM

What I worry about with Jericho is whether he really wants to be Ric Flair. Jericho has made attempts at a music and television career outside of wrestling. Is he going to want to wrestle till he is old and gray, or is he going to turn more to acting a music at some point?

If Jericho quit tomorrow, he'd be one fo the all time greats. What more does he really have to prove in wrestling?

Cewsh
June 30th, 2010, 9:57 PM
Okay, that's fine.

However that's where the information lies.

xpacnumber1fan
June 30th, 2010, 9:58 PM
Nothing. He just loves wrestling.

Atty
June 30th, 2010, 9:58 PM
Okay, that's fine.

AHA! LIES! ;)

xpacnumber1fan
June 30th, 2010, 9:59 PM
Okay, that's fine.

What are the stats?

Kure
June 30th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Check the WWE Magazine special they just released with all the trivia. Jericho comes out well ahead.

I wouldn't doubt that. The Undertaker wrestled for five years mostly domestically before he joined WCW. There have been many years where The Undertaker was more of a special attraction for pay per views and didn't wrestle much on television, so I imagine didn't much in house shows either.

Jericho worked all over the world for five or six years, and for the most part, has been a regular in television matches for his entire career while he has been active. He's always been one of those guys that were on the card, even before he was in the main event. I think that helps his numbers quite a bit. Main event guys are the attractions, but the undercard guys are the bread and butter. There are more undercard matches than there are main events on every show.

Anaconda Sniper
June 30th, 2010, 10:14 PM
John Cena and Randy Orton are still the future. But for guys under 30. The Miz, Cody Rhodes, Wade Barrett, Drew McIntyre, Dolph Ziggler, Ted DiBiase, Jack Swagger, Kofi Kingston, and loads more. Then you got guys that are barely 30 Cena, Punk, and Orton.

HHH and Undertaker will be safe to go. They got plenty of people to take their place. I'm not worried about Jericho because he will always be around. Hes one of the best anti injury wrestlers ever. And he can still do everything a 25 year old can do.

Cewsh
June 30th, 2010, 10:15 PM
What are the stats?

The magazine is in the other room, and i'm working on the review right now.

I'll get back to you with the actual number if nobody beats me to it later on.

EdgeHead469
June 30th, 2010, 10:17 PM
I doubt Jericho will be bouncing around a WWE ring fifteen or twenty years from now like Flair is. He will probably fall back on music or film/TV. Jericho will have one last title run -- a deserving one -- and will go off into the sunset like Michaels. He will truly be remembered as one of the greatest of all time. I doubt he will pull a Flair and return after having an epic retirement match.

And there is truly no one, now that Michaels is retired and Benoit is dead, that could give Jericho the epic send-off retirement match that he deserves.

As far as future faces, not including Orton, Cena, Triple H and Mysterio, I still have a ton of fate in John Morrison and Ted DiBiase -- as a face -- to lead the company in the future.

Cewsh
June 30th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Jericho could finally beat Triple H.

EdgeHead469
June 30th, 2010, 10:20 PM

That would be epic. Triple H is the only other guy that Jericho has enough past with to face, unless The Rock, Austin or Angle returned to give him that match he needs.

Is there anyone else? Mysterio, maybe?

Kure
June 30th, 2010, 10:34 PM
I'd like to see Jericho around long enough to beat HHH in HHH's retirement match. I think that would be great. But the way Jericho has always been about putting guys over, I have a hard time imagining him going out any way but on his back to a guy that is just on the cusp of being a huge superstar.

EdgeHead469
June 30th, 2010, 10:49 PM
I'd like to see Jericho around long enough to beat HHH in HHH's retirement match. I think that would be great. But the way Jericho has always been about putting guys over, I have a hard time imagining him going out any way but on his back to a guy that is just on the cusp of being a huge superstar.

Wade Barrett. :yes:

Atty
June 30th, 2010, 10:55 PM

They've kept them apart so well over the past three years that this would be a pretty major feud. They're the last of the Attitude Era (well, Taker) that have a history together.

And why are people talking about Jericho having a Shawnesque send off? He's 39, not 46. Very different situation, especially with Shawn being a babyface and Jericho heel. Jericho's going to be around for a while. When he does go, knowing his past, it'll be putting over some up and comer (like when he left the first time and put Cena over) over.

EdgeHead469
June 30th, 2010, 11:02 PM
Or he becomes a face in that span of 7 years and gets the Michaels treatment from the fans and receives a huge sendoff match.

ChocolateThunder
June 30th, 2010, 11:15 PM
Bryan Danielson

V-Line
June 30th, 2010, 11:35 PM
Why are guys like Jericho and Edge getting even hinted in this conversation. The thread is clearly intended to indentify guys who will be the showcase of the company in 5-10 years. Jericho and Edge both have about 3 left max I'd say. Jericho has nothing left to do but put younger guys over and Edge is a shell of even 2 years ago, I say he has 2 years left max.

Cewsh
June 30th, 2010, 11:47 PM
Bryan Danielson

I bet you $100 you're wrong.

JRSlim21
July 1st, 2010, 12:15 AM
Quick note: can anyone think of the last "face of the WWE" who wasn't spawned off of a successful heel run other than Hogan? Maybe Bret?

Atty
July 1st, 2010, 12:26 AM
Quick note: can anyone think of the last "face of the WWE" who wasn't spawned off of a successful heel run other than Hogan? Maybe Bret?

Warrior comes to mind, but that's definitely before what you're looking for. No one's really jumping out to me.

ChrisCage
July 1st, 2010, 1:05 AM

I realize it's not WWE, but Goldberg in WCW seems like a good example, since I'm pretty sure he was a face during the streak

Punker
July 1st, 2010, 2:33 AM
I'm going to say that when The Miz is finally ready to turn face and if the writers know how to put their momentum behind him and not fuck it up (Orton is a good messed up face, but the writers don't seem committed to him and injuries have hurt his turn) that he will be the next big face ala Rock. They guy is shining right now.

Defrost
July 1st, 2010, 2:41 AM
I know not of this "face" but I do know...

The 100% Ace of the Universe

http://smile-pro.net/img/birthplace-of-mind/0904-tanahasihiroshi01.jpg

Atty
July 1st, 2010, 2:53 AM
He's no Kenzo Suzuki.

Vice
July 1st, 2010, 3:09 AM
And thank fuck for that.

Atty
July 1st, 2010, 3:10 AM
He's not even an Ichiro Suzuki.

RockOverBoston
July 1st, 2010, 6:31 AM
Aurora Rose Levesque
Murphy Claire Levesque
Unborn Fetus Levesque

Beer-Belly
July 1st, 2010, 6:47 AM
Randy Orton is the main reason that I tune in every week. He is the only enjoyable babyface character.

I love The Miz now. He had a head start being that guy on the Real World, but who gives a shit at this point. His dedication is undeniable and he's got character.

KsEdge
July 1st, 2010, 7:20 AM
Randy Orton is the main reason that I tune in every week. He is the only enjoyable babyface character.

I love The Miz now. He had a head start being that guy on the Real World, but who gives a shit at this point. His dedication is undeniable and he's got character.

Agreed, I used to think he was dreadful, mainly because I'm prejudiced against reality TV, and I felt like him already having that exposure was too much of a step up.

Now I realise it didn't really have much of an effect on his impact, and he's gotten a LOT better in the ring over the last year or so, he could very well be the next big thing.

I just hope they get rid of that Skull Crushing Finale finisher. Shitty name, shittier move. :no:

OD50
July 1st, 2010, 10:19 AM
Please ignore. Language barrier.

Cewsh
July 1st, 2010, 4:26 PM
Aurora Rose Levesque
Murphy Claire Levesque
Unborn Fetus Levesque

lol

JRSlim21
July 1st, 2010, 9:18 PM
I realize it's not WWE, but Goldberg in WCW seems like a good example, since I'm pretty sure he was a face during the streak

Goldberg was a tweener at first. He just kicked ass & took names. Pretty sure a few faces were at the beginning of his streak

Kure
July 1st, 2010, 10:32 PM
Anyone who comes in and wins and wins and wins and wins gets over if they stick with it long enough and the person has any charisma at all. Worked for Hogan for years.

TapOut
July 1st, 2010, 10:50 PM
John Cena, Randy Orton and Edge for about another decade.

:yes:

Was going to post a lengthier version of this, but it's not really necessary. Though I can see Punk moving into this group as well.

Motherboy
July 5th, 2010, 1:36 PM
http://www.fcwwrestling.info/images/talent/percy_watson.jpg

I see huge things coming from him.

mth
July 5th, 2010, 1:54 PM
All I can say is OH YEAH.

Ochoa
July 5th, 2010, 1:58 PM
Kaval. Maybe not THE face, but one of them.

Torn
July 5th, 2010, 1:59 PM
http://www.pwpix.net/superstars/w/wadebarrett/gallery/photoscans/1/gallery1/001.jpg

Buddy
July 12th, 2010, 4:39 AM
Discussions like this make me think of what happened to MVP? People really thought he would be a big, big deal, and now I just don't think it's going to happen. Sadly, I think Kofi & Morrison will likely go down like MVP did too. I don't think anyone more than Orton or Cena will be 'the face' of WWE for at least another 5 years.

OD50
July 12th, 2010, 5:01 AM
Morrison and MVP are not suited to be babyfaces, they both needs turning. Kofi will do just fine being the perky, high flying face though.

The Rosk
July 12th, 2010, 6:09 AM
MVP is fat. He has nothing apart from BALLIN.

He needs to be a heel so badly it is a fucking joke.

Vandal
July 12th, 2010, 6:21 AM
Morrison and MVP are not suited to be babyfaces, they both needs turning. Kofi will do just fine being the perky, high flying face though.
I think all three of them blow chunks.:barf:

Ballin sucks.:rolleyes:

Boom, Boom, Boom sucks.:no:

Starship Pain sucks.:zzz:

So they all suck.;)

EdgeHead469
July 12th, 2010, 7:12 AM

I still think Kingston will get the Jeff Hardy treatment. Mid-card face for a long period of time, pulling off exciting marches and maybe getting that title shot here and there due to hard work, longevity and fan favoritism.

Frank_Drebin
July 12th, 2010, 8:23 AM
What about a future without a megstar performer? HBK, Taker, Austin etc were around a long time before they hit superstardom. There is no doubt of the talent, and its a different argument really but I think that other people, in their era of breaking through, could have recieved similar pushes and done just as well.
I think the future of wrestling is not in over-the-top characters but in something which closer resembles its distant past, and to a certain extent MMA. The era of the gimmick is over, and it will fall on an ensemble cast of talent to keep the industry going. I see a future where, as wrestlers are arguably overall more polished for TV than ever before (in the abscence of both competition and regional wrestling, people all are working towards making a similar product), where the talent are rcycled much more quickly.

I see wrestling become more like Japanese puroresu in that its not neccessarily the main eventers drawing a good card, rather the show as a whole. That's not to say thre won't be main event, headlining performers, I think they will lack the endurance at the top that the previous generation have had.

Wrestling is so different to what it was ten years ago, in a similar way to how different that was to wrestling in the early nineties, wrestling in the 80s, 70 and 60s. Each decade has its own aproach, and I think we're headfing more toward an era of smaller names.

Ochoa
July 12th, 2010, 10:50 AM
I've given up on MVP for any World Title consideration. A year or two ago, I still thought he had a shot. Not anymore.

Beer-Belly
July 17th, 2010, 3:38 AM
They'd be retarded to not keep Randy Orton around for as long as possible. The "take-no-prisoners" good guy is always a selling point and Orton is as good as they come.

EdgeHead469
July 18th, 2010, 3:17 PM
They'd be retarded to not keep Randy Orton around for as long as possible. The "take-no-prisoners" good guy is always a selling point and Orton is as good as they come.

Agreed. And along with Orton, it would be cool to really get over someone young they could capitalize on.

There are just so many good to great, potential future heels. You have Swagger, Miz, Barrett, DiBiase, Rhodes, Ziggler, etc. On the face side, you have ... Orton and Cena, for five more years.

Morrison, Kingston and M.V.P have all failed to show up, and Bourne needs some more personality to him.

I understand it would be easy to flip a character and make them the "future face," but the guys I mentioned are just so good at being the bad guy, why change them?

It could be cool to see what Ziggler could do with a face run.

Badger
July 18th, 2010, 6:12 PM
Alberto Del Rio lads.

Actually no scrap tat. I'm sick of seeing his face and he hasn't even debuted yet.

Bluegunn
July 19th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Kofi will be the future face. DH Smith may have a chance, but not for a while.

Kure
July 19th, 2010, 12:05 PM
I don't see Kofi doing it anymore. Maybe at one time, but I think he's lost some momentum.

Cold_Hearted_Truth
July 20th, 2010, 4:44 AM
Alberto del Rio

Already love the guy as much as anyone outside Punk on Smackdown.

Wink

mth
July 20th, 2010, 3:03 PM
Kofi will be the future face. DH Smith may have a chance, but not for a while.

I think you're going to struggle to find anyone that will agree with you about DH Smith. Tyson Kidd's better in every way.

Ringo
July 20th, 2010, 3:07 PM
Doesn't mean he'll be pushed over him though, does it?

Smith has a hell of a lot of work to do if he's ever going to succeed in a role like that, although charisma isn't something you can usually just acquire.

mth
July 20th, 2010, 3:09 PM
I'm not saying it does, just saying around here, I don't think anyone's really pegged for DH to be a big star. The comment about Tyson was just my personal opinion and part of why I wouldn't agree.

Ochoa
July 20th, 2010, 3:48 PM
Yeah, so suck it Ringo! :heart:

We mention the NXT guys already? I see big things for the entertainer of all entertainers, baby!

IB
July 20th, 2010, 3:49 PM
Ted DiBiase needs some more consideration

EdgeHead469
July 20th, 2010, 5:39 PM
I'm not saying it does, just saying around here, I don't think anyone's really pegged for DH to be a big star. The comment about Tyson was just my personal opinion and part of why I wouldn't agree.

Tyson is leagues above Smith in the ring. I can't recall much of their promo work, so not much to go on there. However, Tyson could be a wonderful heel in the future.

Smith has tons and tons of time to improve. I could easily see Smith versus DiBiase main-event a pay-per-view one day.

Tempest
July 20th, 2010, 5:42 PM
Kidd is pretty good. He could do quite well for himself under the right circumstances. Sadly, being with Smith is his best shot now due to his size and Smith's connections with the business,

IB
July 20th, 2010, 5:43 PM
Evan Bourne also deserves a look.

Kev
July 20th, 2010, 5:51 PM
I could see Punk getting bigger and bigger over the next few years if he keeps up the stellar job that he's done so far. It really sucks that he's injured right now. Even in terrible storylines (like the Kane one) he made them half decent with his work on the microphone.

I think he's someone the company can depend upon in tough situations as well. Love the way he carried himself after the blood stoppage in his match with Mysterio at the last PPV.

Sancty
July 20th, 2010, 5:57 PM
The next face = The Miz

IB
July 20th, 2010, 7:08 PM
The Miz already is huge I can't imagine where he'll be in 5 years if he keeps going at the pace he has been going throughout his career. He is a very hard working rising star and I see him replacing a guy like HHH one day. Someone who can bounce around as a face or heel as often as necessary and easily could be the leader of several good groups.

Bluegunn
July 22nd, 2010, 1:19 AM
I gonna go longball and say Steamboat Jr.

EdgeHead469
July 22nd, 2010, 7:27 AM
Just for MTH -- Joe Hennig.

IB
July 22nd, 2010, 10:26 AM
with a name like Michael McGillicutty I can't imagine him becoming the face of anything. He is good enough but needs a makeover already.

ViperRKO
July 25th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Randy and Cena will be the top dogs for the next 8-10 years.

Miz, Dibiase, Punk, Shaemus, Wade Barrett and Morrison are all right there. Morrison is extremely talented, but I find him sometimes stale at times. I think Dibiase and Miz could be huge. Shaemus has already reached the top of the ladder. He'll be up and down that ladder for the rest of his career. Barrett has shown that he has the ability to be a leader. I could see him eventually breaking from Nexus somewhere down the road and join singles action and fight for the title.

Bottom line is the people mentioned above are the future of the WWE.

Cewsh
July 25th, 2010, 2:08 PM
Sheamus is the future.

Shit, Sheamus is the present.

Badger
July 25th, 2010, 3:57 PM
If he loses to Orton at Summerslam, he'll probably win it for a turd time by the end of the year fella.

ViperRKO
July 25th, 2010, 6:11 PM
I like Shaemus alot. He seems to be more relaxed out there when he cuts promos and his in ring work is impressive. He rose to the top quickly sort of the same way Brock Lesnar did. I just hope he lasts longer than Brock. Ha.

Funboy
July 25th, 2010, 7:32 PM
He will. The fella lives for wrestling. Thats why I think they like him so much.

badguythomas
July 25th, 2010, 11:24 PM
Wow....The guy who is going to rule the WWE for the next ten years is RALHPUS!! Bow down...

Honestly who knows....Im going with Orton for the next five...He isnt going anywhere until Vince says so

Ochoa
July 25th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Who is RALHPUS?

toady
July 25th, 2010, 11:44 PM
Who is RALHPUS?

http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/r/ralphus/03.jpg

Ochoa
July 25th, 2010, 11:48 PM
The autograph says Ralphus not Ralhpus..... I'm just being a jackass now.

badguythomas
July 26th, 2010, 1:08 AM
mwahahahaha

Raphlus rules!!

Vandal
July 26th, 2010, 1:25 AM
He will. The fella lives for wrestling. Thats why I think they like him so much.
He is Tripps workout buddy.(Maybe in the gay sorta way?;))

I see the Miz going to the top.:cool:

Vee-Bee
February 19th, 2015, 11:44 PM
Bryan Danielson

I bet you $100 you're wrong.

Interesting reading of an old thread.

Atty
February 19th, 2015, 11:46 PM
How is Cewsh being wrong a shocker?

Merchant4Ever
February 20th, 2015, 4:06 AM
And how is the fact that he hasn't paid up a shocker?

Excel
February 20th, 2015, 6:06 AM
Interesting that the names brought up in the first post are all still floundering in the exact same roles or worse that they were when it was made in 2010.

RuneEdge
February 20th, 2015, 6:18 AM
Skip Sheffield's dolng ok.

Fanny Batter
February 20th, 2015, 7:01 AM
Pay that man!

Randolph
February 20th, 2015, 11:26 AM
I always find it amazing to read old posts and threads about future superstars of WWE. Everyone always predicts the young high-flyers who will be wowing us for years, and then they fall off the face of the earth. If there was any justice in the world, Daniel Bryan would be the norm and not the exception. Predicting Sami Zayn or Adrian Neville to be the future stars of WWE is easy, but who knows, because too many talented guys will never get a fair shake, while guys like Kane or Mark Henry will still be around in 2020. Gotta love wrestling!

Kimura Kid
February 20th, 2015, 11:38 AM
To asnwer OP's question today: Seth Rollins!

lotjx
February 20th, 2015, 12:48 PM
Vince

Honey_Badger
February 20th, 2015, 1:04 PM
with a name like Michael McGillicutty I can't imagine him becoming the face of anything. He is good enough but needs a makeover already.

How about Curtis Axel?

Spedizzo
February 20th, 2015, 2:49 PM
Who predicted BROCKKKK LESNNNARRRRRRR would be main eventing WM31?

Cewsh
February 20th, 2015, 3:19 PM
Interesting reading of an old thread.

How is Cewsh being wrong a shocker?

And how is the fact that he hasn't paid up a shocker?

That dude really should have agreed to the bet, because I couldn't have been more wrong on that one. :yes:

Brian M.
February 20th, 2015, 7:29 PM
The fact that you bet money is overshadowing Hero's prediction of Percy Watson (!!!!) becoming a gigantic babyface.

I'm so glad I never posted in this thread 5 years ago.

Judas Iscariot
February 20th, 2015, 7:45 PM
Jon Moxley is gonna do big things, I reckon.

Rancid_Planet
February 20th, 2015, 8:19 PM
I want John Morrison to come back as "Johnny Namechange" so bad.

VHS
February 20th, 2015, 10:10 PM
Wow. Like all the names mentioned on the first page... all haven't moved an inch in 5 years. Still John friggin' Cena.

Merchant4Ever
February 21st, 2015, 3:44 AM
Yea this thread was destined to make everyone look wrong because the WWE is stagnant.

Judas Iscariot
February 21st, 2015, 5:16 AM
Your face is stagnant.

MikeHunt
February 21st, 2015, 5:17 AM
SLARE

Judas Iscariot
February 21st, 2015, 5:20 AM
*WAHEYYYYYYY banana peel out the window*

Brian M.
February 21st, 2015, 1:49 PM
Yea this thread was destined to make everyone look wrong because the WWE is stagnant.

Not really. It's just that the guys they have decided to push weren't even on our radar five years ago.

VHS
February 21st, 2015, 2:43 PM
Ted DiBiase. Tagged w/ Cody... then did absolutely nothing.
The Miz. Beat Cena... now is a solidified midcarder until the end of time.
Wade Barrett. Was in Nexus... then Corre... now is just another IC champion that loses to Sin Cara.
Sheamus. Doing fine, but has gotten very stale. Hopefully he returns as a heel.
Drew McIntyre. Never hit his potential... released. Very big missed opportunities w/ this man.
Cody Rhodes. Should be have been main eventing by now... hopefully him turning on Goldust will help.
Dolph Ziggler. Has seen an upgrade since turning face. Needs to be prepped for the top-top spots before his neck turns to sand from all his bumping.
Jack Swagger. Hit paydirt w/ Zeb Coulter. But it's the WE THE PEOPLE chant that's over... not Jack.

Evan Bourne? Released.
John Morrison? Released.
Kofi Kingston? New Day. Lol.
Christian? Retired.

Hennig, Was brought in like a kig, but nobody cared.
Riley, Potential, but isn't being used as a wrestler. Is a decent commentator/host.
Harris, Struck gold w/ Bray Wyatt.
Tarver, T... OMG remember when he made a T with his arms? :lol:
Skip Doing ok as Ryback.

Sheesh, if you would have told me guys like Barrett/Cody/Ziggler weren't main eventing in 2014-2015... I probably would have stopped watching. (not really)

Here's to another 5 years of Cena.

Spedizzo
February 21st, 2015, 4:32 PM
I can't believe nothing ever happened with Morrison.

Brian M.
February 21st, 2015, 5:05 PM
Morrison had the perfect look, but he never got beyond "solid" in any category. He was only OK on the mic, and you have to be great in the ring to make up for that if you're going to be a main eventer. Morrison was not great in the ring.

Rancid_Planet
February 21st, 2015, 5:22 PM
But he could twirl.

THE

MAN

COULD

TWIRL

Cewsh
February 21st, 2015, 11:37 PM
Morrison had the perfect look, but he never got beyond "solid" in any category. He was only OK on the mic, and you have to be great in the ring to make up for that if you're going to be a main eventer. Morrison was not great in the ring.

Well, more important he left just as they were pushing him heavily, ala Bobby Lashley.

The Law
February 21st, 2015, 11:53 PM
Has anyone who's as bad a promo as Morrison ever main evented in WWE? Or any American promotion? He was passable taped, but when they gave him a live mic it would get awkward fast. Now, the obvious solution to this would be to give him a manager, but WWE just doesn't do that anymore. Or book him to not talk, but that's tough to do.

Morrison: A+ for look, A for gimmick, A- for ring work, F- promo.

I will quibble with his work a little bit in that it seems more like dance than fighting a lot of the time. He's a big, ripped dude, so it's not like he couldn't just punch people. Starship Pain looks super cool, but it seemed like most of the time he'd barely touch the guy he was supposed to be drilling with it. Lucha Underground is a perfect environment for him because the show is pre-taped, scripted, and Lucha isn't much for psychology or believability.

Oh, and Vince didn't respect him because he let other dudes bang Melina. No idea if that's actually true, but it seems like something that would happen.

The_Mike
February 22nd, 2015, 12:00 AM
Is Morrison really that bad at promos? I don't recall him being spectacularly poor. I don't recall him being great or anything either, but not exactly an F.

mth
February 22nd, 2015, 12:18 AM
He was good when he was a heel and was supposed to sound like a wooden spaced-out poetic weirdo...but when he turned face and tried to cut any other kind of promo he was pretty awful.

VHS
February 22nd, 2015, 12:22 AM
He never cut anything like the genesis of McGilicutty though. Lordy lord.

ThE_GrEaT_GaM
February 22nd, 2015, 12:43 AM
Well, more important he left just as they were pushing him heavily, ala Bobby Lashley.

I recall him getting buried week after week prior to his release.

Cewsh
February 22nd, 2015, 2:01 AM
I recall him getting buried week after week prior to his release.

Yeah, for the same reason he wound up leaving. Melina.

Glen
February 22nd, 2015, 3:23 AM
Finn.

Jaymz
February 22nd, 2015, 5:51 AM
Has anyone who's as bad a promo as Morrison ever main evented in WWE?

I give to you your WM 31 Main event:

Brock Lesnar vs Roman Reigns

The Law
February 22nd, 2015, 12:09 PM
Roman's bad promos were a product of bad material. I don't think anybody would have made that "Jack and the Beanstalk" promo work, and Reigns certainly wasn't the guy to try.

Brock's a fine talker in doses. He's great when he's just saying a few words. He floundered when he first came back because he was having to recite pages and pages of dialogue, and that's not something he's equipped to do. Also not something he should be doing.

Ringo
February 22nd, 2015, 12:15 PM
I hope he wasn't seriously comparing Brock's talking ability to Morrison's.

I agree that Roman is generally better too. More natural.

In Morrison's case it's probably also true that they tried to make him something he wasn't. Remember when he was being pushed as a "charismatic funny guy" like The Rock - the "Braveheart" promo on Drew McIntyre comes to mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NRW-Qz_0xk

mth
February 22nd, 2015, 12:35 PM
Roman's bad promos were a product of bad material. I don't think anybody would have made that "Jack and the Beanstalk" promo work, and Reigns certainly wasn't the guy to try.

Brock's a fine talker in doses. He's great when he's just saying a few words. He floundered when he first came back because he was having to recite pages and pages of dialogue, and that's not something he's equipped to do. Also not something he should be doing.
Oddly enough, I thought Reigns' delivery of that beanstalk promo was rather good and some of his most comfortable and convincingly expressive.. Of course, the content itself was utter garbage but it really seemed like he tried his best to make it work.

Badger
February 22nd, 2015, 12:45 PM
Ted DiBiase needs some more consideration

I know this quote is from 2010. Still though. :lol:

mth
February 22nd, 2015, 12:58 PM
Never saw anything in Ted the younger.

Badger
February 22nd, 2015, 1:02 PM
Me either. Enjoyed the Legacy/DX matches but Cody was always the better one to me.

The Law
February 22nd, 2015, 1:20 PM
Remember when people thought Ted DiBiase should be the one to break the streak? I swear it happened.

Hero!
February 22nd, 2015, 1:23 PM

Erm, he specifically signed a contract extension to stay on for an extra month or two. He could have just bounced when his contract expired, but JoMo is a good dude who wanted to keep working putting people over and leave on a good note.

Badger
February 22nd, 2015, 1:23 PM
I remember that too Law, just laughed my arse off when that talk came up. :lol:

Hero!
February 22nd, 2015, 1:25 PM
Remember when people thought Ted DiBiase should be the one to break the streak? I swear it happened.

Hey man, we ALL thought Swagger was gonna be the top guy in the company the second he debuted on ECW (in trunks and with Noble's old theme!).

Badger
February 22nd, 2015, 1:34 PM
Also there was MATTITUDE and his little facts and MFers.

Actually, that was legit cool to begin with and the facts were funny, but the bandwagon was ridiculous. :lol:

The Law
February 22nd, 2015, 1:44 PM
I wanted Matt Hardy to win the World Heavyweight Championship when Edge vacated and Khali got it. Compared it to Bret Hart getting the title in 1992.

VHS
February 22nd, 2015, 1:46 PM
Never saw anything in Ted the younger.

When he debuted and was trying to get Cody to join him... I swear I thought he was a gay/stalker character.

Badger
February 22nd, 2015, 1:53 PM
How could the great Dibiase Sr churn out something so substandard? Guesd that's me not invited to this year's Mania "posse tailgate party." :lol:

Badger
February 22nd, 2015, 1:54 PM
And the best thing about V ONE-uhhhhhhh was either the fact that everyone still dissed Shannon Moore. Even the facts. :lol:

Ahhhh, "SHANNON MOORE LIKES BJs'" Banana Juice! :rofl:

ThE_GrEaT_GaM
February 22nd, 2015, 2:50 PM

Oh Big Dave's girl right?

Jaymz
February 22nd, 2015, 3:02 PM
I hope he wasn't seriously comparing Brock's talking ability to Morrison's.

I agree that Roman is generally better too. More natural.

In Morrison's case it's probably also true that they tried to make him something he wasn't. Remember when he was being pushed as a "charismatic funny guy" like The Rock - the "Braveheart" promo on Drew McIntyre comes to mind.

I honestly believe that Brock Lesnar's promo skills are incredibly basic at best. The difference between Brock and anyone else that's floundered on the mic is that Brock Lesnar is not allowed to say anything of substance. His entire career has been centered around Paul Heyman for that very reason. His voice isn't threatening, and all he ever cuts promo's on is the same tired 'I'm going to hurt you' BS that 12 year olds spout when cutting promos into a mirror.

As for Roman, he has to take massive steps forward and quickly. He's a little less dreadful that he was, but there's still nothing to make a fan connect with him, either as a face or a heel, and his character not changing one iota between face and heel (Assuming that's the route he's going down) could horribly expose him as being one dimensional.

Here's my issue with it all. This year's WM main event is between:

Brock Lesnar - Incredible athlete, brutal, looks a bit sloppy at times, can't talk for shit. Many fans resent as being an absent champion, and I suspect many fans say they like because of nostalgia and herd mentality.

Roman Reigns - Great athlete, completely unready for a WM main event and the fans know it, can't talk for shit. Many fans resent as they feel that there would be much better candidates for the spot.

Paul Heyman - Only reason this match holds more interest than a bout between two cardboard cutouts of Vladimir Kozlov.

Tainted Eclipse
February 22nd, 2015, 3:06 PM
Brock Lesnar sit down interviews are better than any talking anyone else in WWE does by miles.

Ringo
February 22nd, 2015, 3:07 PM
Yes. He's excellent.

Badger
February 22nd, 2015, 3:16 PM
Brofk's voice has been mock3d for not being masculine enough. Because it's so unique though, I always pay attention when he talks. He's not your typical angry big man when he speaks.

ThE_GrEaT_GaM
February 22nd, 2015, 3:18 PM
Brock Lesnar sit down interviews are better than any talking anyone else in WWE does by miles.

Indeed and the way he stares at the camera is bone chilling. Legit mercenary stuff.

Jaymz
February 22nd, 2015, 3:20 PM
But Brock talks and talks yet says nothing at all, even during sit down interviews.

Maybe I'm completely missing something here. Brock is actively protected from situations where his promo skills will be exposed

ThE_GrEaT_GaM
February 22nd, 2015, 3:37 PM
But Brock talks and talks yet says nothing at all, even during sit down interviews.

Maybe I'm completely missing something here. Brock is actively protected from situations where his promo skills will be exposed

It has to do more with delivery and the way he comes across as a true ass kicker during those sit downs. He presents himself as a prize fighter with no qualms about it wether people like it or not.

Hero!
February 22nd, 2015, 3:42 PM
The thing is: Brock is intimidating just to look at. Seeing as he looks like a giant aryan prison member, it's not that hard to take him seriously when he says he wants to kill someone. Dude has a fucking tramp stamp that reads "Kill Em All" ffs.

Reigna just looks like a pretty guy with his flowing locks and handsome face. I'm not scared of him, I want to ask him for hair tips.

Jaymz
February 22nd, 2015, 3:48 PM
He's an ass kicker, he's intimidating, I get it. I just don't know why i should care whether he wins or loses any match he's in.

I'm not sure 'But he's an ass kicker' absolves either Brock or creative for his character having no development or depth whatsoever

ThE_GrEaT_GaM
February 22nd, 2015, 3:51 PM
The thing is: Brock is intimidating just to look at. Seeing as he looks like a giant aryan prison member, it's not that hard to take him seriously when he says he wants to kill someone. Dude has a fucking tramp stamp that reads "Kill Em All" ffs.

Reigna just looks like a pretty guy with his flowing locks and handsome face. I'm not scared of him, I want to ask him for hair tips.

Add to that the fact that Brock could potentially end up having an enforcer roll with the Aryan Brotherhood if he ever went to jail and it pretty much seals the deal.

Badger
February 22nd, 2015, 3:51 PM
Essentially Brock comrs across as having no remorse whatsoever, that's why he's so chillimg.

Heyman isn't a mouthpiece for Brock but he accentuates him.

Hero!
February 22nd, 2015, 3:58 PM
He's an ass kicker, he's intimidating, I get it. I just don't know why i should care whether he wins or loses any match he's in.

I'm not sure 'But he's an ass kicker' absolves either Brock or creative for his character having no development or depth whatsoever

When you go to the circus, you don't care about the elephants' story or character, you just wanna see what the motherfucker is gonna do. The clown is the character, the trapeze artists are the characters, the juggler is a character. The elephant is just impressive doing its thing.

Rancid_Planet
February 22nd, 2015, 4:24 PM
Brock knows body language and staring that's for sure. But he isn't anything special on the mic. That's why Heyman is there cutting 10 minutes promos while Brock stares. Its what works.

The Law
February 22nd, 2015, 4:27 PM
Even if Brock were a really good promo, I wouldn't want him to talk much. That would just demystify him.

Ringo
February 22nd, 2015, 4:30 PM
Brock knows body language and staring that's for sure. But he isn't anything special on the mic. That's why Heyman is there cutting 10 minutes promos while Brock stares. Its what works.

I think everyone knows that. John Morrison could barely say a sentence live without sounding uncomfortable though. I don't think the comparison is fair anyway because Brock doing too much talking doesn't work for him.

Rancid_Planet
February 22nd, 2015, 4:44 PM
I agree. They book Brock perfectly. And they understand what he can and can't do very well.

As far as Morrison goes he was fine as a heel. That vapid and spaced out douchebag attitude really worked for him. But as a face he just never had it.

Badger
February 22nd, 2015, 4:49 PM
If Morrison could just be more tweener, then he could diss anyone yet still do his parkour shit.

mth
February 22nd, 2015, 5:28 PM
By the way,t he correct answer to the thread title's question is clearly Roman goddamn Reigns. Swallow it.

Rancid_Planet
February 22nd, 2015, 6:01 PM
But what about after Roman and the current group of new guys like Seth Rollins? Who will be the next guy they get behind in a serious way? I know that's off on the horizon but looking down the list of young guys we know are coming up in the next couple of years I'd be hard pressed to think anyone has a better chance than Kevin Owens. He has the mic skills and the ass kicker gimmick down pat. I feel like he can also be sort of an heir to CM Punk if they want that.

Newf
March 2nd, 2015, 6:28 PM
I think Reigns could be a lot more intimidating if he let his beard go, changed up the hair and attire a bit and modeled his look after Khal Drogo. Someone in creative should pitch it to Vince. It's been long enough that Game of Thrones is probably JUST on his radar.

Beer-Belly
March 2nd, 2015, 6:37 PM
By the way,t he correct answer to the thread title's question is clearly Roman goddamn Reigns. Swallow it.

http://media.giphy.com/media/cUENbkNb804U0/giphy.gif

VHS
March 2nd, 2015, 6:39 PM
I think Reigns was intimidating when he was in the Shield. WWE just needs to make him less smiley and jokey... and they've started doing that recently. I do wish they'd have him wear the skull mask on his way to the ring. That was always cool.