PDA

View Full Version : Command and Conquer free download!

Frank_Drebin
June 24th, 2010, 4:57 AM
I bloody love Command and Conquer Red Alert.
Back in the day I used to go to my mates house BEFORE school and play it, I was so obsessed.

Now, the years have passed, and it still passes as a pretty good game, and it has become freeware! They let you play it for nothing.

There's the original game, Red Alert and Tiberian Sun, all ready for you to just download and play.

Hell, you can STILL play online.

Worth the five minutes it takes to download.

Vice
June 24th, 2010, 5:04 AM
I rarely play Red Alert these days (though last time I played it was only a few months ago), but I'd say it's still one of my favorite games of all time. So goddamn good. Sending 50 mammoth tanks into battle and just destroying everything in the span of 30 seconds is a feeling that no other game has ever been able to give me since.

I actually own most of the C&Cs and still have the discs in my binder of goodness, so them being free doesn't make much of a difference.. but everyone needs to give Red Alert a shot.

It's free, guys. No excuse to not download it.

Funboy
June 24th, 2010, 5:52 AM
is there a link to this free goodness?

Frank_Drebin
June 24th, 2010, 5:54 AM
google it

Funboy
June 24th, 2010, 6:04 AM
but that wouldve taken less time...
fine.

Wiganer
June 24th, 2010, 6:04 AM
post the link you lazy shit.

turdpower
June 24th, 2010, 7:35 AM
This is the sort of game I was talking about in my ramble thread. Sure the first few C&C games are horrid to play now. But Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2 are just pure amazingness. Much prefer them to the newer "realistic" games.

Frank_Drebin
June 24th, 2010, 10:02 AM
post the link you lazy shit.

I'm a very busy man.

Wiganer
June 24th, 2010, 10:14 AM
You'll be a man in need of a coffin if you don't shape up Drebin.

Bert
June 24th, 2010, 10:25 AM
http://www.commandandconquer.com/classic

Frank_Drebin
June 25th, 2010, 2:48 AM
You'll be a man in need of a coffin if you don't shape up Drebin.

It would have been quicker to look it up yourself.
Thanks by the way, first time I've ever been referred to by my fictional surname. Incidentally, its "Lieutenant Drebin", "Mr. Drebin" or possibly even "Drebin-san".

The_Mike
July 30th, 2013, 11:14 AM
Got Red Alert 3 in the Steam Summer Sale since I was a massive fan of the older games. So far it has been a decent foray into nostalgiaville, though doesn't feel quite the same. Having an AI ally constantly buzzing around is a bit of a nuisance. That would be fine for a couple of special missions but every single one? Usually they are useless, anyway, since they seem to never build more than a handful of units at a time. The cutscenes are ridiculous; I know RA2 was somewhat theatrical and Lt. Zofia's latex uniform was a bit silly but at least it was more subtle than "here's Tim Curry and some big boobs!" I always liked how these games made you feel part of the universe even during installation, but it's hard to give a toss when they have abandoned any pretense to seriousness.

Alf
July 30th, 2013, 5:05 PM
Interestingly, the new one will be a free to play model

Excel
July 30th, 2013, 7:08 PM
Why didnt I see this thread before I bought the shitty ps1 version on psn?

cunting fuck bollocks

Hlebsfall
July 31st, 2013, 3:42 AM
Interestingly, the new one will be a free to play model

It's EA, so It'll be a massive pile of pay2win shit.

HHHnFoley_Rulez
July 31st, 2013, 3:48 AM
Building Tank [Time Remaining: 4 days 12hours 18minutes] [Or spend 20gold (£3) to instantly build!]

*instantly build*

*some cock blows it up while you're asleep*

Bert
July 31st, 2013, 4:03 AM
It's EA, so It'll be a massive pile of pay2win shit.

http://i.imgur.com/iDqTqeq.jpg

mr sabu
July 31st, 2013, 7:29 AM
o lived using the edits where you could change everything around

shit for a buck

mammoth tanks that shot obelisk lasers

changing the price of enemy units so it cost like 9999 credits for 1 recon bike

The_Mike
July 31st, 2013, 11:32 AM
Yeah I remember editing the rules.ini file and all the mad fun you could get up to. I had bombers that would parachute in about a dozen nukes per run. Infantry cost a single credit so you could build an insane army of conscripts that could obliterate anything in a single burst of fire. Some people put a lot of effort in and made a radically new but well-balanced game. Still, I don't mind having things unbalanced and a bit wacky on occasion. Weirdly for all its cutscene hijinks and boobs, RA3 as a game takes itself a bit too seriously. I have to be Johnny on the spot micromanaging everything and building a force so diverse that it would meet the approval of the feminist wing of the NAACP. I know people complained that tank rushing was too easy in RA1 and 2, but it was fun. In RA3's missions it seems like I never get the time or space to build a sizeable amount of anything and even if I do, a couple of units that it is weak against can obliterate a whole legion, like three flak troopers taking down 10 helicopters on their own.

And yeah, not remotely interested in the F2P C&C. We all know how that'll turn out. I miss Westwood Studios, really, they knew how to make a game into an experience, not a product.

The_Mike
August 7th, 2013, 11:59 PM
Just finished the Soviet campaign in RA3. Kind of underwhelming last mission: destroy the Statue of Liberty, which simply required me to build a handful of bombers and slowly sail them over there. As long as I skirted the defenses for long enough, they could absorb enough damage to drop their payloads and end the mission in a few minutes. I had planned to pound the shit out of the whole base and slowly encroach, but was pretty much punished for bothering to engage because my aircraft would be shot down in seconds unless they kept slowly moving. I do like that this and other missions could generally be accomplished by destroying key buildings, meaning you didn't have to mop up every last pillbox and soldier, but I frequently felt like the game gave me so many cool toys to try out but never wanted me to use a lot of them. The maps tend to be somewhat claustrophobic and I never end up with massive tank battles in the middle of a field like with RA1 and 2. Like I said in the last post, the AI ally was generally useless and only ever sent a small squad of random units into combat, and the enemy AI seemed to follow the same pattern. My base would be attacked by two tanks or planes every couple of minutes, which was just annoying rather than challenging, the difficulty coming from the fact I just had to keep remembering to click back and remind my defensive units to start shooting at things that were shooting the ore miner. My own units seemed utterly blind, they would not attack anything not directly in front of them, even if it was shooting them in the side. And the ending was... some fireworks, I guess. Knowing I had Zofia's loyalty and had saved the Motherland was pretty rewarding at the end of RA2, and this was demonstrated through decent cutscenes. RA3's end just felt so flat. Maybe the other campaigns will be better, but I feel that something's missing in the whole atmosphere of the game. I never know how my side is doing, every mission is disjointed and in some random place. Just something as simple as the wee maps that changed colours between missions really added a lot to the feeling of cohesion and atmosphere in the older games.

Anyway, that's a bit of a rant, but I did have fun for the most part. Roving clouds of death copters are enjoyable.

The Rogerer
August 8th, 2013, 5:35 AM
Rules.ini was where it was at. I was able to make nuclear attack dogs in Red Alert. I was a major C&C player back in the day and I stuck with it over Warcraft and other things like that. I didn't care much for Tiberium Sun, after having blue balls for years of waiting for it I found it too serious and boring when it finally came out. I enjoyed Red Alert 2 but not anything like C&C Generals, and I had Red Alert 3 on console, and I still have the 'Commander's Challenge' on PS3 but I don't care for it as much. As Mike said, it's good that they mixed up the unit types but the levels turn into too much micromanagement at times.

turdpower
August 8th, 2013, 12:18 PM
Red Alert 2 is the game for me.