PDA

View Full Version : Godzilla: He's Back

Pages : [1] 2

Matty C
March 29th, 2010, 3:02 PM
My big green hero seems set to make a return appearance in 2012 courtesy of Legendary Studios.

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2010/03/29/godzilla-to-be-remade-courtesy-of-legendary-pictures/

As most anyone who has interacted with me on this forum could guess, I am pumped. I didn’t quite hate the Sony version of Godzilla but it was a very strong dislike. With Toho rumoured to be involved in this one, if even only from a distribution standpoint, I have faith that they won’t create a new monster and attempt to call it Godzilla, which was my largest complaint in regards to Sony’s version.

Godzilla 2000 was a lot of fun but Toho has limited resources and can’t really give Godzilla the blockbuster treatment that a studio like Legendary could. As such, I look forward to this new movie and hope it comes to fruition.

So, this is a bit early and might not garner huge interest but feel free to discuss Godzilla in general here as well. Have you seen any of his movies? What is your favourite one? Do you have interest in a big studio type Godzilla movie?

I personally own over 20 Godzilla movies on DVD and VHS. My personal favourite will always be Godzilla 1985. I still remember calling up the local video store on a daily basis as a tyke, waiting for it to arrive on VHS. They must have hated me by the time it finally arrived.

Destroy All Monsters, Godzilla vs. King Kong and Godzilla: Final Wars were all a lot of fun as well.

Stay away from Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster though as well as Godzilla’s Revenge as they are pretty terrible, even for a Godzilla movie.

One Man Gang
March 29th, 2010, 3:13 PM
Why stay away from Godzilla vs the Smog Monster? That one was hilarity in all sorts of ways. Destroy All Monsters is my favorite as I love King Gidhorah. I own about 5 Godzilla movies.

Matty C
March 29th, 2010, 3:16 PM
You see, I love Godzilla vs. Gigan for the silly factor (I mean, he actually talks fgs) and Godzilla vs. Megalon for the same reason. The Smog Monster just didn't endear itself to me like those two did.

I almost bought a "Jet Jaguar" t-shirt on e-bay once. They didn't have my size or I would have bought it for sure.

One Man Gang
March 29th, 2010, 3:17 PM
I think I own the MST3K where they rip on Godzilla vs Megalon. So I guess I own 6 Godzilla movies.

Matty C
March 29th, 2010, 3:22 PM
That would be brilliant. I should keep an eye out for that.

Chris
March 29th, 2010, 4:58 PM
My favourite was Godzilla vs King Ghidorah. I especially like the bit during Godzilla's brief rampage at the end, where he sees Shindo and remembers Lagos Island. Then with his eyes welled up with tears, he blasts Shindo and the building to pieces.

That film also happens to contain both the worst line of dialogue and delivery of said dialogue in movie history: "Take that, you dinosaur!". Hilarious and dreadful.

I still have loads of Godzilla movies on VHS. A few of them are tough to get through, as there's so much stuff with alien invaders or robots and whatnot and not enough of the big guy himself.

I remember there was a big monster night on Channel 4 years and years ago, where they featured fights from different Japanese shows/movies (Godzilla, Ultraman, etc). It was presented like a wrestling card, with discussion in-between "matches" and commentary during the fights. That was when I saw Godzilla vs King Kong for the first time.

Zarius
March 29th, 2010, 5:35 PM
I loved the 1990s Godzilla animated series, it was everything the Sony movie didnt bother with and embraced the Japanese traditions of that tenaciously unstable bond between Godzilla and the humans rather than just flat-out aggresion between both

The AVGN produced a lengthy dossier of every Godzilla movie ever...the highlight being this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbPkzk0TW9o

DESTROYAAAAAH

Matty C
March 30th, 2010, 10:17 AM
My favourite was Godzilla vs King Ghidorah. I especially like the bit during Godzilla's brief rampage at the end, where he sees Shindo and remembers Lagos Island. Then with his eyes welled up with tears, he blasts Shindo and the building to pieces.

That film also happens to contain both the worst line of dialogue and delivery of said dialogue in movie history: "Take that, you dinosaur!". Hilarious and dreadful.

I still have loads of Godzilla movies on VHS. A few of them are tough to get through, as there's so much stuff with alien invaders or robots and whatnot and not enough of the big guy himself.

I remember there was a big monster night on Channel 4 years and years ago, where they featured fights from different Japanese shows/movies (Godzilla, Ultraman, etc). It was presented like a wrestling card, with discussion in-between "matches" and commentary during the fights. That was when I saw Godzilla vs King Kong for the first time.

I’m assuming you’re speaking of the Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah from the 1990’s? That was an excellent Godzilla movie. Actually, the whole 90’s run from the Godzilla Heisei series was pretty great aside from the introduction of baby Godzilla.

That monster night from Channel 4 sounds like something out of a Matty C dream. Seriously, I dream about this stuff. My wife laughs but secretly I think that she’s considered asking that I get some counselling.

Zarius, as said above, the entire 90’s run of the Godzilla Heisei series is actually really good. Destroyah is absolutely included in that goodness. I remember not expecting much of that particular movie and being absolutely blown away by how good it was, just a really fun, very well done Godzilla movie. Destroyah is a total badass.

Chris
March 30th, 2010, 2:14 PM
Yes, I was referring to the 1990s movie.

YouTube- Godzilla vs king ghidorah clip

That run of movies was good. I too enjoyed Destroyah, with Godzilla's body melting down. Space Godzilla also looked like a bad-ass. Ghidorah will always be my favourite Godzilla nemesis, though.

While searching for the above clip, I came across this collectible.
http://www.collectiondx.com/system/files/DAM319.jpg

Bill Casey
March 30th, 2010, 2:20 PM
The AVGN produced a lengthy dossier of every Godzilla movie ever...
:yes:

Click -YouTube- Godzillathon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Avc4AS3AvcA&feature=PlayList&p=4961AC7E8ED7CD7D&index=0&playnext=1)

Any Godzilla fan should check it out when they have the time. It really is fantastic...

Cubed-Sphere
March 30th, 2010, 6:55 PM
Yeah, James Rolfe's (AVGN) Godzillathon was epic... like all his Monster Madness things he does. The guy does a movie review for every day in Oct., and we're talking 4-5 minute reviews on average. Must be a bitch to film and edit all that every single day for a month on top of doing the AVGN videos.

Pipkin
March 30th, 2010, 8:09 PM
This is excellent news. Hopefully this is another good film franchise that is made even better by being brought into the new millennium.

BIGFEETS
April 13th, 2010, 6:14 AM
My Godzilla 1985 figure (Imperial Toys) stands high atop the bookshelf in my home office ... watching, waiting.

:scared:

Chris
July 27th, 2010, 1:29 PM
http://www.aintitcool.com/images2009/gnew.jpg
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/45923

This was a promotional T-shirt shown at Comic-Con, with the design of the new Godzilla.

YouTube- Demo of Godzilla AR installation at comic-con

Go here if you want your Godzilla T-shirt to breath fire. http://www.talkingdogstudios.com/ar/gojira/

Mark84j
July 27th, 2010, 2:14 PM
The Godzilla 2000 trailer always cracks me up :lol:

YouTube- Godzilla 2000 Trailer

Matty C
July 27th, 2010, 2:47 PM
That is a fantastic design. Close to the iconic image that I love but modernized with smoother lines. I really hope they go with something like that, Godzilla needs to look like Godzilla, not the Kraken.

BIGFEETS
July 29th, 2010, 2:52 AM
Yes, and Godzilla needs to be whooping some ass too.

mth
August 1st, 2010, 10:43 PM
Thanks to Godzilla 2000, "faster than crap through a goose" has become a permanent part of my phrase vocabulary.

xizor
August 1st, 2010, 11:28 PM
w00t w00t. Anyone remember when Scifi channel use to do all day long Godzilla marathons? It would start at like 5 am with the very first godzilla and would go all day. F'n loved that as a kid. would set my alarm clock on saturday morning and make sure I was up with my godzilla toy ready. Bring back the godzilla marathons damnit!

Matty C
August 3rd, 2010, 9:45 AM
It wasn't Sci-Fi in Canada in the 80's (when I was a lad) but there was a channel that played one per day for like a month or so once per year and it was MUST SEE TV for little Matty. This was back in the day when VCRs were still pretty expensive too, so it was a real treat to see some Godzilla.

The Doc
August 3rd, 2010, 11:17 AM
w00t w00t. Anyone remember when Scifi channel use to do all day long Godzilla marathons? It would start at like 5 am with the very first godzilla and would go all day. F'n loved that as a kid. would set my alarm clock on saturday morning and make sure I was up with my godzilla toy ready. Bring back the godzilla marathons damnit!

Cept those clever bastards would sneak in Gamera movies! I'll never forgive them for a flying turtle fighting a walking butcher knife on planet x to. . .no sorry it's over right there.

Beer-Belly
September 21st, 2010, 8:16 PM
YouTube - Godzilla 2012: Brian Rogers On Legendary Pictures Film Plans

The introduction of the Zennie62.com blog post and video interview with Godzilla 2012 Producer Brian Rogers has caused quite a stir on the Internet, with several major blogs picking up the news, paced by Ain't It Cool News.

There is an obvious hunger to see a well-done Godzilla movie, and in 3D, but mostly to overcome the ghastly flick that was Roland Emmerich's version of Godzilla referred to as Godzilla 1998, or what Brian Rogers called an "Iguana Godzilla."

A New Godzilla

To recap, in our initial discussion Rogers said that he got involved in Godzilla several years ago and by meeting "two Japanese gentlemen," one of them being Yoshimitsu Banno.

Yoshimitsu Banno was banned from making Godzilla movies after the release of his Godzilla Versus The Smog Monster, which upset Toho's Tomoyuki Tanaka, because Banno had Godzilla fly and had scenes where people were being killed by Hedorah, The Smog Monster.

But now, Tomoyuki Tanaka has passed on and 3D is all the rage: enter Banno to work with Rogers. Their desire is to reboot the Godzilla franchise as was done with Legendary Pictures Batman.

More Godzilla Updates

Here's more news that didn't make it into the first post. First, Brian Rogers said they have not settled on a script but are in the process of reading one that may work. He did not say that script was "the one." Also, they've not selected a director as of this writing.

And the rumor that WETA, the famous special effects house best known for its work on Peter Jackson's Lord Of The Rings movies, was involved in the Godzilla movie is not true and was dispelled by both Rogers and WETA execs who I talked to at Comic Con 2010.

But that written, both parties found the idea of WETA's involvement in Godzilla exciting.

Godzilla 2012 Internet Buzz High

Many fans want to see Godzilla fight more than one monster, but Internet chatter reveals a good humber who just want Godzilla alone, and actually fighting the U.S. Army.

Stay tuned. I wanted Godzilla to thrash shit on his own in this reboot. I prefer it when he's the antagonist, stomping everything in sight and creating mass panic.

Matty C
September 22nd, 2010, 10:00 AM
Alone is best for a starting point. Godzilla vs. Man is generally the most intriguing storyline.

If the reboot does well, and I hope it does pending how well it’s put together, then move on to more monsters, probably starting with Mothra as she seems to be the second most popular monster in the series.

On a personal note, I would love to see Gigan and Ghidorah with updated special effects. Those two were always the most badass in my mind.

Beer-Belly
September 25th, 2010, 11:24 PM
This kind of pisses me off the more I think about it. Godzilla is the ultimate monster; nothing compares to the big green mother fucker. If you're going to reboot a storied character, you need to start from the beginning.

The original film is an allegory for nuclear disaster. I don't know if that can be as poignant as it was back in the day. It very well could be, but I'd prefer Godzilla's origin to be mysterious. Who gives a shit where he came from? When you expound too much on where a big character comes from, you usually do it/him/her a disservice. Think about the Joker in The Dark Knight; wasn't it better for him to just arrive as is rather than giving him a labored origin story? Of course it was. The unexplained is almost always scarier than the explained.

The thing that really sticks in my craw is that he needs to fight other big monsters to make the movie satisfactory. Heeellllllll naw. Godzilla's war against puny mankind is the most important and entertaining arch in his story. He wreaks havoc and tears ass on humanity because he is confused and pissed off just like most monsters. After showing us who the mother fucking boss is and doing some monster soul searching at the bottom of the ocean, he ultimately decides to pity and protect us from the forces of unspeakable evil. That's when you bring in more monster for him to fight. Otherwise, you are going against the nature of the beast.

Beer-Belly
January 21st, 2011, 12:59 AM
Gareth Edwards, the British director who made Monsters, is directing the Godzilla reboot. Apparently Tim Burton also sought to direct it. I haven't seen Monsters, but given that he produced all of the effects by himself on a limited budget, I have a certain degree of faith that he can bring us something a bit more interesting than "Tim Burton's Godzilla starring Johnny Depp as Godzilla and Helena Bonham Carter as Mothra".

Matty C
January 21st, 2011, 10:04 AM
Thank god for not using Burton. Godzilla would have been a wooden puppet that sang songs... which can be entertaining but isn't Godzilla.

I also have not seen Monsters but it was well reviewed if I remember correctly.

Mark84j
January 21st, 2011, 12:50 PM
Another Zilla reboot ehh?

And why the fuck would Burton want to direct a Godzliaa movie?? The guy must have his dick in everything these days, I swear on tits he's on the same level of annoying as John Cena.

Beer-Belly
February 2nd, 2011, 7:41 PM
Gareth Edwards‘ first monster movie, Monsters, hit Blu-ray this week and while promoting the release, the conversation obviously veered toward his plans for Legendary Pictures’ reboot of Godzilla, which he’s set to direct. Edwards obviously can’t say much in the way of specifics, but assures fans that the franchise will be handled with respect. Read his quotes after the jump.

Edwards spoke to Shock Till You Drop about the project and chose his words very carefully. After all, he’s working for one of the most secretive production companies in town, Legendary, which handles most of the DC projects for Warner Brothers (The Dark Knight Rises, Superman, etc.)

"I guess I will say I’m highly aware – and everyone involved is incredibly aware – of everyone’s opinions on what this film has to do and what it has to be. And no one will do anything but the right thing. Without addressing anything specific, everyone knows how important is to get it right."Shock got Edwards to confirm that he’s not writing the project (though he wouldn’t say who was) and then asked about his relationship to the whole Godzilla franchise."

"My earliest memories was channel 4, they showed them every Friday night. As a kid I wasn’t quite sure about the dubbing, the English-dubbed versions. They threw me for a bit. I love science fiction and, well I call them B movies but they’re not, but I love ’60s and ’70s sci-fi. But these would come on and be dubbed and it would take my kid brain to adjust to the dubbing. It took me some time to get through that."

Edwards also talked to the London Evening Standard and echoed many of those sentiments.

"Everyone involved knows what the film has to be, what’s important to me is that, as well as spectacle, you have to give a shit about what’s happening and why."At least he gets it.

Bill Casey
February 2nd, 2011, 9:04 PM
Apparently Tim Burton also sought to direct it.

Tim Burton Godzilla would have been awesome...
Here's a rough sketch...

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/5713/burtonzilla.jpg (http://img51.imageshack.us/i/burtonzilla.jpg/)

The monocle is to distract the military and Johnny Depp from his giant tears...

Beer-Belly
February 3rd, 2011, 12:38 AM
Tim Burton Godzilla would have been awesome...
Here's a rough sketch...

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/5713/burtonzilla.jpg (http://img51.imageshack.us/i/burtonzilla.jpg/)

The monocle is to distract the military and Johnny Depp from his giant tears...

I feel bad for Tim Burton. I don't care what anyone says; his Batman movies are fun idiosyncratic takes on the character. Beetlejuice and Edward Scissorhands are also great. Now he just has George Lucas-itis where no one around him has the balls to tell when he's screwing the pooch on a grand scale.

Burton would've botched Godzilla. You probably aren't far off with that picture. There's no doubt he would've played the "tortured soul" angle regardless of how cliche and silly that is.

Mark84j
February 3rd, 2011, 12:42 AM
Burton took a nose dive at some point, it is sad.

Beer-Belly
March 18th, 2011, 1:46 AM
Bloody Disgusting has learned of some interesting news regarding Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary's Pacific Rim, their giant monster movie that Guillermo del Toro agreed to direct about 10 days ago.

According to our sources, Legendary has asked Del Toro to re-write the screenplay so that no attacks take place in Japan. The pic is to be set in a future in which malevolent creatures threaten the earth, the planet must band together and use highly advanced technology to eradicate the growing menace.

In addition, early rumors continue to carry some truth. Apparently Del Toro has been asked (again) to turn Pacific Rim into the new Godzilla. He refused. Expect this to be a regular occurrence as it sounds like Legendary would much rather get the giant green monster back in theaters than Rim. What's interesting is that Monsters director Gareth Edwards was attached to Godzilla back in January...

Giant food for thought.

Update: AICN is attempting to debunk us, but unfortunately their sources are either wrong or lying. We stand behind our report as our sources are well in the know. This isn't just some "tipster". It's also worth noting Del Toro has been asked to make the change, and whether or not he complies has yet to be seen....

This is big news if true. I was looking forward to Del Toro doing Pacific Rim because it's original and the story sounds nuts. This looks like typical studio meddling which Del Toro is all to familiar with by now.

I love Godzilla, but I'm certain his recognition can sell a movie by itself. Let Guillermo do something huge and unique, and let Gareth Edwards display his talents with a big-name character. Del Toro more than deserves some creative freedom at this point in his career.

Honestly, the more kaiju movies, the better.

Matty C
August 27th, 2012, 4:03 PM
Sorry I'm a bit late on this but there was news out of Comicon regarding the Godzilla reboot. The head of Legendary threw on a surprise trailer after discussing some of their other high profile upcoming releases. I have, as of yet, not actually been able to find footage of the trailer but it was met with a hugely positive reaction from those in attendance and featured a devastated cityscape, a giant millipede (!) and a quick pan of the big man himself, and much to my massive relief, it was actually Godzilla and not some terrible knock-off. Ie. Not the Sony version.

The director is Gareth Edwards, as noted he is the guy who directed the movie Monsters some time back and he sounds like he wants to make the sort of movie I’ve always hoped for: a big budget Godzilla remake that holds true to the darker tone of the original classic.

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2012/07/godzilla-comic-con/

I’m pumped.

Beer-Belly
March 18th, 2013, 6:28 PM
'Godzilla': Ken Watanabe Joins Cast as Production Gets Underway

12:16 PM PDT 3/18/2013 by Sophie Schillaci

Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures announced Monday that principal photography has begun on next year's 3D tentpole, Godzilla, in Vancouver.

It was also announced that Inception actor Ken Watanabe has joined the cast, which already includes Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Elizabeth Olsen, Juliette Binoche, David Strathairn and Bryan Cranston. Details about the storyline and characters are being kept under wraps, but as The Hollywood Reporter previously noted, Olsen will play Johnson’s girlfriend and Cranston will play his stepfather.

Monsters helmer Gareth Edwards is directing the film from a screenplay by Max Borenstein, Frank Darabont and Dave Callahan, with Mary Parent, Brian Rogers and Legendary’s Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni producing.

Godzilla is due to hit theaters on May 16, 2014.Frank Darabont and the solid cast give me high hopes that this will be the Godzilla movie I've always wanted.

Matty C
March 19th, 2013, 1:25 PM
It's looking very promising, I agree. Darabont was a very nice surprise and I'm a big fan of Cranston. I'm optimistic for sure.

PurePlayer
March 31st, 2013, 10:16 AM
So after reading this thread, I was curious in reading up on a few of the Godzilla movies that were mentioned here and also Godzilla vs King Kong. Do the movies have any relation with one another, and is the ending in the king kong one explained any further at all? Godzilla with Matt Broderick was really the only one I saw and thought it was shit and didn't bother to look into any of the other films. Maybe I will give them a closer look.

Matty C
March 31st, 2013, 11:05 AM
Godzilla with Broderick is shit. Most don't even acknowledge it as a Godzilla film.

There is no continuity in the first run Godzilla films (up to Godzilla 1985). They will at times give a nod to past films but its pretty disjointed. Even Godzilla's powers can change from movie to movie. As for Godzilla vs King Kong, the ending is intentionally unclear. King Kong stands tall at the end but seeing as Godzilla can swim thousands of miles under water it's not like throwing him in the ocean implies death. Basically they wanted Kong to look good for the lucrative American market as he is seen as an American monster but didn't want to embarrass the star of the show either. Thus, unclear ending.

The strung of movies between 1985 and the late 90s are the only ones with continuity. Even the ones in the 2000s were self contained only acknowledging the first movie.

Beer-Belly
July 15th, 2013, 2:35 PM
http://i.imgur.com/VL4If4I.jpg

Hoping for a teaser trailer soon.

mth
July 20th, 2013, 10:36 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-5Rygf9ykGx4/UehC9xVM2AI/AAAAAAAAKqs/EVNA85Ce2xo/s640/Godzilla-2014-Movie-Poster.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-dvGfchvCA4Y/UehC96ZXVPI/AAAAAAAAKq0/soxT-3erRbE/s400/original.jpg

Beer-Belly
July 20th, 2013, 10:39 AM
The picture of the statue is just concept art. Godzilla's new look won't be revealed until during the Comic-Con panel.

Beer-Belly
October 9th, 2013, 5:47 PM
Has anyone seen the leaked teaser trailer? Find it on reddit or something, because HOLY FUCK GODZILLA IS BACK.

Jimmy Zero
October 9th, 2013, 5:56 PM
That trailer is fucking legit. The Oppenheimer voiceover is amazing.

Beer-Belly
October 9th, 2013, 5:58 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5qFiOMDMIs

Found one. Can't imagine it will be up long, though.

Jimmy Zero
October 9th, 2013, 6:00 PM
I agree with Joe Rogan 100% on that one.

If that doesn't get your dick hard, then fuck you.

mth
October 9th, 2013, 9:00 PM
yeahyeahyeahyeahYEAH. :yes:

MikeHunt
October 10th, 2013, 3:39 AM
Wow! Looks amazing!

Simon
October 10th, 2013, 4:20 AM
Not one of you responded to this thread title with "in Pog form!", bunch of cunts.

MikeHunt
October 10th, 2013, 4:28 AM
Alright Peter Kay.

Beer-Belly
December 10th, 2013, 2:39 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjKO10hKtYw

Holy shit.

MACE
December 10th, 2013, 2:49 PM
Is that Bryan Cranston at 1:39?

Beer-Belly
December 10th, 2013, 2:54 PM
Yes.

The Rick
December 10th, 2013, 3:31 PM
The trailer looked pretty interesting. Do we know what city this is "taking place"? If it is Tokyo or an arbitrary place, I'm cool with it. If they go to New York like the 1998 film, I will be a bit disappointed.

Beer-Belly
December 10th, 2013, 3:38 PM
I don't think it will be limited to just one place. Given the massive size of Godzilla and the fact that there are multiple monsters tearing shit up, I don't think a single city can maintain that level of destruction.

JP
December 10th, 2013, 3:43 PM
I quite liked the camp 90's version but fuck a duck does that look incredible.

Matty C
December 10th, 2013, 5:37 PM
Can't wait. It all looks very promising. He's a bit streamlined from what I can tell there but undeniably in mostly original form which is great. My excitement only grows.

MikeHunt
December 10th, 2013, 5:38 PM
Looks amazing. Empire have some exclusive pics on their website as well

Mik
December 10th, 2013, 6:01 PM
I'm not usually much of a monster movie fan, but that looks magnificent. Great trailer. I'm interested to see what Gareth Edwards does after Monster, which I found very impressive.

Jimmy Zero
December 10th, 2013, 6:20 PM
Oh shit, this is from the guy that made Monster? That movie was a really great surprise.

Beer-Belly
December 10th, 2013, 6:25 PM
I actually couldn't finish Monsters. It wasn't bad by any means, but I wasn't in the mood for a slow talky film at the time. I'll have to give it another shot. It is awesome that the director did all the CGI creature effects completely on his own.

Jimmy Zero
December 10th, 2013, 6:27 PM
I actually couldn't finish Monsters. It wasn't bad by any means, but I wasn't in the mood for a slow talky film at the time. I'll have to give it another shot. It is awesome that the director did all the CGI creature effects completely on his own.

It's really good, but it's not at all what you'd expect after reading a description of the film.

It kind of reminded me of Cloverfield, which I adored, but not everyone feels the way I do about that film.

Mik
December 10th, 2013, 6:29 PM
I loved Cloverfield too.

JP
December 10th, 2013, 6:30 PM
Cloverefield is possibly the best cinema experience I've had, just loved it.

MikeHunt
December 10th, 2013, 6:33 PM
Cloverfield was bloody brilliant. I loved all the online stuff before it. Made the film a million times more rewarding.

Mik
December 10th, 2013, 6:34 PM
Yeah, its up there for me. Biggest problem was the amount of people who clearly didnt follow the 'Found Footage' clues at the start of the film and then groaned and bemoaned the film at the end. Its simple narrative cinema!

Beer-Belly
December 11th, 2013, 12:00 AM
I've already read remarks online bitching about how this will just be more "disaster porn". When did that become the latest buzzword? There's been a recent epidemic of shit heads on the internet bitching and moaning about action movies exploiting September 11.

Jimmy Zero
December 11th, 2013, 12:23 AM
I've already read remarks online bitching about how this will just be more "disaster porn". When did that become the latest buzzword? There's been a recent epidemic of shit heads on the internet bitching and moaning about action movies exploiting September 11.

Those are the same dicks that complained that The Two Towers was offensive because 9/11.

Beer-Belly
December 11th, 2013, 8:37 PM
I hope this movie doesn't lay on the "nuclear power is dangerous" shit too thick. These days nuclear power is actually a very safe and reliable power source. The disaster at Fukushima only occurred because that particular power plant was really old and was actually about to be retired. I don't mind the movie having a message, but going after nuclear power is dishonest and misleading at this point.

Matty C
December 11th, 2013, 11:25 PM
If it's true to Godzilla ethos it would more likely be the evil of nuclear weapons that they underscore rather than power.

I loved Cloverfield as well. Just a great monster movie. The best to come out in some time.

Beer-Belly
December 12th, 2013, 12:49 AM
Cloverfield really excelled at creating a sense of panic.

VanillaJello
December 12th, 2013, 4:25 AM
Love it!

Beer-Belly
February 4th, 2014, 3:46 AM
This was briefly up on Amazon's Godzilla page:

http://i.imgur.com/NJzfwWo.jpg

I think the gills are a sensible addition considering the amount of time he spends in the ocean.
Spoilered, just in case.

mth
February 25th, 2014, 4:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vIu85WQTPRc
Oh man.

MikeHunt
February 25th, 2014, 5:04 PM
God I can't fucking wait! Seriously that looks fantasic!

Brady
February 25th, 2014, 5:06 PM
Incredible trailer. I like the brief reveal at the end. Hopefully they keep it that way!

Jimmy Zero
February 25th, 2014, 6:10 PM
This looks incredible. I love that it's apparently faithful to the tone of the original. This movie and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes are by far my 2 most anticipated movies of the summer.

MikeHunt
February 25th, 2014, 6:35 PM
No love for xmen jimmy?

Jimmy Zero
February 25th, 2014, 6:42 PM
I want to see that, too. As well as Winter Soldier, but Godzilla and Planet of the Apes are my 1a and 1b.

I grew up on Godzilla, and the original Planet of the Apes franchise is one of my favorite things ever.

And while I've been pretty happy with the X-Men franchise, over all, none of them have really blown me away like I thought they would.

MikeHunt
February 25th, 2014, 6:50 PM
Planet of the apes bar the burton abortion is my favourite franchise ever.

Jimmy Zero
February 25th, 2014, 7:09 PM
Planet of the apes bar the burton abortion is my favourite franchise ever.

Me too. And I feel like it's criminally underrated. Especially the 3rd and 4th films. The 4th one is an absolutely fantastic movie.

MikeHunt
February 25th, 2014, 7:22 PM
Yeah 4 is pretty similar to rise of IMO. I got laughed at by my mates when I bought the bluray box set but after a night of getting fucked up and watching the lot in a row on a come down with cups of tea they were all turned.

Marlon Dingle
February 26th, 2014, 10:08 AM
I hope this movie doesn't lay on the "nuclear power is dangerous" shit too thick. These days nuclear power is actually a very safe and reliable power source. The disaster at Fukushima only occurred because that particular power plant was really old and was actually about to be retired. I don't mind the movie having a message, but going after nuclear power is dishonest and misleading at this point.

I watched an interview with the director who said the events of Fukishima would have a direct impact on this film. After watching the trailer I guess it'll be less "Fukishima is responsible for Godzilla", and more "Godzilla causes a Fukishima style scenario/disaster which kills Bryan Cranston's wife."

Also, he's fucking massive!

lotjx
February 26th, 2014, 10:10 AM
Nuclear power is dangerous thus we use it for our weapons. I actually do hope there is some message in the movie, but what I want is Godzilla kicking ass which looks like there is a lot of. Cranston was going with more Maclom in the Middle than Breaking Bad in his speech.

Beer-Belly
February 26th, 2014, 10:20 AM
The more recently built nuclear power plants are really safe. Fukushima was old and close to being decommissioned.

Anti-nuke sentiment is pretty misguided these days. Our use of coal is much more dangerous than nuclear power in the long run.

Beer-Belly
February 26th, 2014, 1:20 PM
http://media.bestlittlesites.com/images/uploads/bettergodzioila.jpg

Mik
February 26th, 2014, 1:22 PM
That is another excellent trailer.

VanillaJello
February 26th, 2014, 1:24 PM
This looks incredible. I love that it's apparently faithful to the tone of the original. This movie and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes are by far my 2 most anticipated movies of the summer.

No Guardians of the Galaxy?

This movie does look fantastic though.

Beer-Belly
February 26th, 2014, 1:35 PM
I'm going to be bummed if the film turns out to be less than solid. The cast seems to suggest that it's better than the average blockbuster. Juliette Binoche does't seem like the type of actress to lend her talents to a film unless it's quality.

VHS
February 26th, 2014, 3:02 PM
I've been wondering this whole time whether that's Rodan diving into the water. :hyper:

Beer-Belly
February 26th, 2014, 3:48 PM
I don't think WB or Legendary Pictures obtained the rights to any of the other Toho monsters. If this film proves to be a success then they'll likely be more willing to sign off on the use of their other characters. Toho was definitely a little apprehensive of sharing their properties after Godzilla '98 was such a disaster.

The "MUTO" creatures sound pretty cool on their own.

Jimmy Zero
February 26th, 2014, 7:34 PM
No Guardians of the Galaxy?

This movie does look fantastic though.

Shit, totally spaced on Guardians.

1c.

Chris
April 4th, 2014, 6:49 PM
New teaser is out with some brief glimpses of new footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P-oy6AFR6U

Genuinely excited for this.

JP
April 4th, 2014, 7:45 PM
I haven't been to see a film at IMAX since Inception. I think this will break that streak.

Beer-Belly
April 5th, 2014, 4:37 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC3Mi9vOb_8

I want to see this right fucking now.

Beer-Belly
April 28th, 2014, 11:44 PM
They packed this trailer with money shots...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRjjuEbFNfM

Jimmy Zero
April 28th, 2014, 11:48 PM
This is going to fucking rule.

Mark Hammer
April 29th, 2014, 12:27 AM
Oh no, here comes Godzirra!

Defrost
April 29th, 2014, 8:17 AM
They can call it a Muto all they want. I know a fucking Rodan when I see one.

Beer-Belly
April 29th, 2014, 2:40 PM
So any large monster with wings is Rodan? The MUTOs look like insectoids.

Clutch
April 29th, 2014, 3:48 PM
So Godzilla is sent to fight the other monsters? Where do the other monsters come from? Please explain this version of the story to me.

ps looks fucking awesome, can't wait :hyper:

Beer-Belly
April 29th, 2014, 4:01 PM
So Godzilla is sent to fight the other monsters? Where do the other monsters come from? Please explain this version of the story to me.

ps looks fucking awesome, can't wait :hyper:

Nothing's confirmed, but...

From what I gather, these MUTO creatures were created by humans through scientific meddling. Godzilla is an ancient beast that was awoken and likely "changed" in some way by the 50's era nuclear tests in the ocean. The MUTOs also seem to thrive on radiation, so it makes sense that Godzilla would be drawn to them.

Judas Iscariot
April 29th, 2014, 4:02 PM
Holy shit I fucking love Rodan.

Beer-Belly
April 29th, 2014, 4:07 PM
I hope this one succeeds so they can do a sequel with King Ghidorah.

Jimmy Zero
April 29th, 2014, 4:50 PM
What does MUTO stand for?

Beer-Belly
April 29th, 2014, 4:58 PM
I'm actually not sure. I feel like I've read it before, but can't remember where.

EDIT: I think it stands for Massive Unidentified Target Organism.

Doctor Who
April 29th, 2014, 5:10 PM
What does MUTO stand for?

My Underpants, Take Off?

Marvel Universe Totally Overrated!

Massively Unoriginal Toho Opportunist.

Masterbating Underneath The Ostrich

MikeHunt
April 29th, 2014, 5:14 PM
MikeHunt undecided towards 'omosexuals

MikeHunt
April 29th, 2014, 5:14 PM
If I were from dawnsawfff

The Rogerer
April 29th, 2014, 6:24 PM
My urinary tract output

JP
April 29th, 2014, 11:06 PM
MikeHunt undecided towards 'omosexuals

You love us, you love us with jazz hands.

The Rick
April 29th, 2014, 11:11 PM
yea but not for free

I'm getting more and more excited for this movie. I said at the start of the year that I was pretty down on this movie season, I'm going to Godzilla. It will be my first movie this year, and I'll probably be seeing Guardians of the Galaxy. I still think last year and next year will be much better, but maybe there will be some really entertaining flicks for me this year.

mth
April 30th, 2014, 12:47 AM
Sweet baby Jesus on a stick, I am so stoked for this. Goddamn.

Beer-Belly
April 30th, 2014, 12:58 AM
I hope they keep his nuke breath a secret if it's in the movie. I'm assuming it is, but that needs to be a surprise.

Beer-Belly
May 2nd, 2014, 12:42 AM
Apparently there's not a whole lot of Godzilla in the movie until towards the end. It will be more like Jaws than Pacific Rim in that sense.

Jimmy Zero
May 2nd, 2014, 12:04 PM
I'm cool with that.

Frankly, I've been mildly annoyed with just how much of Godzilla they've shown in the trailers. Yeah yeah, I know we all know what Godzilla looks like, but it's a redesigned/updated version of the classic look. Why blow your load before the movie even comes out? The scenes of destruction and the Godzilla scream would have been enough for me.

JustDuett
May 15th, 2014, 11:34 AM
Can't wait to see this flick, may actually break down and go see it tonight.

I feel like some of the overexposure of Godzilla in the trailers may be in response to velociraptor Godzilla from 98. Good lord did that one suck and really felt like it was riding high off of Jurassic Park's craze combined with the legend. They probably wanted to get out in front of it and be like "See, this one is like old school Godzilla, only more fucking badass!"

Donald
May 15th, 2014, 11:51 AM
At least Godzilla 98 had an awesome soundtrack.

Anaconda Sniper
May 15th, 2014, 2:49 PM
Can't wait to see this movie! Gonna be epic!

Dream-Evil
May 15th, 2014, 2:56 PM
Very cool.

Matty C
May 15th, 2014, 10:18 PM
It was awesome. I won't say too much to avoid spoilers but I felt the Godzilla design was near perfect and greatly enjoyed the chosen story arc. The CGI was really impressive as well. I think I will go and see it again on Saturday. :)

VanillaJello
May 16th, 2014, 12:15 AM
Loved it. Only wish there was more Godzilla.

Beer-Belly
May 16th, 2014, 1:04 AM
It was top notch.

You get the perfect amount of Godzilla.

Alf
May 16th, 2014, 4:49 AM
It is very very bland.

Doctor Who
May 16th, 2014, 5:33 AM
Ford Brody...

>surviving...
>2 earthquakes
>3 MUTO attacks
>a train falling practically on his head
>sky-diving into Hell
>Godzilla vs 2 MUTO fight
>nearby atomic blast

He totally John Cena that movie ;)

Beer-Belly
May 16th, 2014, 6:10 AM
It is very very bland.Make a sentence.

Alf
May 16th, 2014, 6:39 AM
What is it about that you are having trouble with?

Beer-Belly
May 16th, 2014, 7:04 AM
What is it about that you are having trouble with?

Do you not like Jaws?

Alf
May 16th, 2014, 7:26 AM
Eh?

Jaws is a brilliant movie that turns the screw incredibly well.

Godzilla is just meh. I like what they did with essentially making Godzilla the hero, but it was just so standard.

Matty C
May 16th, 2014, 7:45 AM
It wasn't the 1954 original but it was a great summer action movie. I'm not sure what you were expecting Alf. The action scenes were great fun and as giant monster movie story lines go, it was solid. I would think the monster scenes alone would avoid bland but I'm also biased.

Alf
May 16th, 2014, 7:54 AM
I went in with no expectations at all. I didn't think it was bad, I didn't think it was good. It just was. Everything it had to offer I've seen a billion times before.

Matty C
May 16th, 2014, 9:18 AM
You must watch even more Godzilla than me then... :)

Alf
May 16th, 2014, 9:41 AM
Not in terms of Godzilla, but in terms of that type of movie and the movie tropes it leans on. We've all seen it a billion times over the last 15-20 years.

Ringo
May 16th, 2014, 9:59 AM
Just listening to Edwards on Kermode & Mayo. What a nice chap. Had pretty much no interest in this film (I didn't even enjoy Monsters really) but I'm thinking of giving it a go in the cinema after listening to him talk about it.

Dream-Evil
May 16th, 2014, 9:43 PM
There was an audible gasp when he went all blue flame on the MUTO.

The Doc
May 16th, 2014, 10:00 PM
It wasn't the 1954 original but it was a great summer action movie. I'm not sure what you were expecting Alf. The action scenes were great fun and as giant monster movie story lines go, it was solid. I would think the monster scenes alone would avoid bland but I'm also biased.

I know what I was expecting. I was expecting either some remake of the original/98 version with Godzilla the random act of nature that fucked your whole day. Honestly I'd stayed on radio silence for this so when other monsters showed up. . .I squeed with joy. Or a classic TOHO movie where the story is kinda there as some sort of excuse for two (or more) monsters to fuck some shit up. It wasn't bad but I really expected Big G to show up much earlier than he did.

And someone tell me I'm insane and didn't see the Big G in fucking formation like he was pet or something. Even in context I didn't see that right? That was because I was squinting, and had sand in my eye, and glasses were at lens crafters?

Hero!
May 16th, 2014, 10:22 PM
The bad stuff dragged...a lot. The good stuff was beyond excellent.

I love the first atomic breath buildup. The first roar. The MUTO kills were excellent, especially the atomic breath down the throat. The human stuff was obviously boring, but isn't it always? I've seen probably 2/3 of all the Godzilla films and the humans are always the dragging point, so who really gives a fuck? The only shit that really pissed me off were the fight teases. Ugh.

PS Zilla looked awesome.

Morrison
May 17th, 2014, 3:16 AM

I love the first atomic breath buildup. The first roar. The MUTO kills were excellent, especially the atomic breath down the throat. The human stuff was obviously boring, but isn't it always? I've seen probably 2/3 of all the Godzilla films and the humans are always the dragging point, so who really gives a fuck? The only shit that really pissed me off were the fight teases. Ugh.

PS Zilla looked awesome.
agree with all this. i really enjoyed the film, but they put way too much stock in the human side of the story, and unfortunately they couldn't hold it up, especially...

after cranston dies. while watching the opening credits i thought i had missed his name, only to see david strathaim and him get a 'with...' nod at the tail end. thought that was odd, but in hindsight he was barely a supporting character. but the time he spent on screen was amazing. every single iota of emotional vulnerability and tension died when he died. aaron taylor was beyond boring, especially as the lead we're supposed to be focused on. i connected with cranston during his short time on screen, felt his obsession and packed away grief/guilt. i believed when joe brody tells his son to go back to his family and protect them, that it was coming from the bottom of his heart, for not knowing what was happening 15 years earlier and not being able to protect his mother. but i honestly couldn't tell you if ford brody cares all that much for his wife or child. he makes cursory attempts to get back, going so much as to tell his wife he'll see them soon, but allows himself to get distracted by insanely dangerous missions. never once do you feel any kind of fear that his family might be lost, the complete antithesis of his father. perhaps that was the aim of the character, since he is portrayed as a tough member of the armed forces. but it's 2014, that shit isn't exactly entertaining anymore, at least not how he played it.

i feel like had cranston been the main protagonist, or at least in a shared bill with his son, and gotten to play in the real meat of the film, it would've been a much more well-rounded and enjoyable film. but what we got was enjoyable enough, and i do look forward to a possible sequel, as they did hint at mothra.

so i get exactly where alf is coming from.

Beer-Belly
May 17th, 2014, 8:53 AM
Make a sentence.

I was way too drunk to be posting when I wrote this. Apologies all around. Asinine response on my part.

Beer-Belly
May 17th, 2014, 8:57 AM
Eh?

Jaws is a brilliant movie that turns the screw incredibly well.

Godzilla is just meh. I like what they did with essentially making Godzilla the hero, but it was just so standard.

I'm not even sure what exactly I was getting at. I thought the slow burn was similar, I guess. Obviously, Jaws is a superior film, but I admired that the film built tension instead of bombarding the audience with action set pieces from the beginning.

Clutch
May 17th, 2014, 9:32 AM
Going to see this tonight, can't wait :hyper:

Matty C
May 17th, 2014, 12:01 PM
I know what I was expecting. I was expecting either some remake of the original/98 version with Godzilla the random act of nature that fucked your whole day. Honestly I'd stayed on radio silence for this so when other monsters showed up. . .I squeed with joy. Or a classic TOHO movie where the story is kinda there as some sort of excuse for two (or more) monsters to fuck some shit up. It wasn't bad but I really expected Big G to show up much earlier than he did.

And someone tell me I'm insane and didn't see the Big G in fucking formation like he was pet or something. Even in context I didn't see that right? That was because I was squinting, and had sand in my eye, and glasses were at lens crafters?

Mild spoilers

He definitely could have shown up sooner and there could have been more Godzilla in general, I agree with that. They could have gone down the Godzilla only route but I thought it was a nice twist to go right into Godzilla vs. X this time around. People want to see Giant Monster eff stuff up with today's updated special effects. Well, I do anyway. :).

They were following him in the ocean and he didn't give a shit about them. It's a bit off but they are clearly going for the "Godzilla is a good guy route" with this series narrative in order to try and appeal to children which I think, from a commercial standpoint, is a great idea. Half the early films had Godzilla as the human saviour type of monster. It's not a stretch.

PS Zilla looked awesome.

People, not just me I swear, also cheered in my theatre. My wife thought it was hilarious.

Larger spoilers

Ford was a terribly bland character. Cranston was indeed the strenght and I wish he would have stayed around as well. In the end though, like Hero, I don't care about the humans. They are just there to provide context really. I want Godzilla baseball batting a flying monster into a skyscraper and searing heads off with radioactive fire..

Hero!
May 17th, 2014, 12:23 PM
People legit STOOD UP AND CLAPPED when He killed the female MUTO. Everyone marked for the first roar and atomic blast, but kill and Big G standing there with the head got a standing fucking ovation. It was pretty awesome.

Beer-Belly
May 17th, 2014, 12:40 PM
People legit STOOD UP AND CLAPPED when He killed the female MUTO. Everyone marked for the first roar and atomic blast, but kill and Big G standing there with the head got a standing fucking ovation. It was pretty awesome.

Yeah, that got a bonkers reaction at my screening. I generally don't enjoy clapping during movies, but that felt special.

Matty C
May 17th, 2014, 1:35 PM
That's what people want to see. The big man in action.

Beer-Belly
May 17th, 2014, 1:51 PM
We got the right amount of him, in my book. I've found that Godzilla is most effective when he's used with restraint.

lotjx
May 18th, 2014, 7:30 PM
It was just ok at best.

Hero!
May 18th, 2014, 9:56 PM
OK there Ebert.

VHS
May 18th, 2014, 10:11 PM
Thought it was a fantastic Godzilla movie, although the human character parts started to drag things a bit.

But.

The final 30 minutes though nailed it... just NAILED it. :yes:

VHS
May 18th, 2014, 10:12 PM
It was just ok at best.

Podcast about it.

Donald
May 18th, 2014, 10:26 PM
Hope this holds up well. Would be great to see this as the winner of the summer, ahead of this superhero nonsense.

Bert
May 18th, 2014, 10:40 PM
I really liked it. Good Guy Godzilla.

VanillaJello
May 18th, 2014, 11:47 PM
Hope this holds up well. Would be great to see this as the winner of the summer, ahead of this superhero nonsense.

Guardians of the Galaxy >>>>>> All

Beer-Belly
May 19th, 2014, 8:26 AM
It's made 196,205,000 worldwide so far and apparently a sequel is already in the works.

Also, for what it's worth, Mark Kermode liked it.

Donald
May 19th, 2014, 9:07 AM
Guardians of the Galaxy >>>>>> All

With the lack of good movies this year, this may be an accurate statement.

Beer-Belly
May 19th, 2014, 9:57 AM
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes will most likely be great.

Guardians of the Galaxy could very well be a quality movie, but there's no guarantee of it being successful at the box office. It's a largely unknown property and superhero movie fatigue is bound to set in at some point.

Jimmy Zero
May 19th, 2014, 10:24 AM
Guardians of the Galaxy could very well be a quality movie, but there's no guarantee of it being successful at the box office. It's a largely unknown property and superhero movie fatigue is bound to set in at some point.

I feel like people have been talking about superhero movie fatigue setting in since the first Iron Man.

Now that I think about it, your whole post about GotG could have applied to Iron Man when it came out. Anecdotally, even my mother is amped up about GotG and she couldn't give a fuck less about those types of movies.

Anyways, my pops if out of the hospital and wants me to take him to see Godzilla, so we're going tonight.

Beer-Belly
May 19th, 2014, 10:44 AM
Iron Man was bolstered by Robert Downey Jr., Jeff Bridges, and Gwyneth Paltrow, though.

I personally think GotG will turn a profit. Marvel Studios pretty much has a license to print cash at this point and Guardians seems to have a unique vibe that could help it bring in a wide audience.

Jimmy Zero
May 19th, 2014, 10:48 AM
Right, but RDJr. wasn't exactly the big deal he is now when Iron Man came out. And no one gives a shit about Gwyneth Paltrow.

I think Marvel will be fine, even when the comic book movie bubble bursts. They've developed a really solid reputation for telling well crafted stories, and not just showcasing flashy action sequences.

Beer-Belly
May 19th, 2014, 10:59 AM
As I was typing Gwyneth Paltrow's name I was thinking, "No one fucking cares about Gwyneth Paltrow."

lotjx
May 19th, 2014, 12:17 PM
Podcast about it.

Well...you asked for it...dick. http://comicbookspotlight.wordpress.com/2014/05/18/godzilla-king-of-the-supporting-monsters-spoilers/

Nolan's space flick is going to be the summer film if its as good as it appears.

Beer-Belly
May 19th, 2014, 12:18 PM
Interstellar comes out in November.

Jimmy Zero
May 19th, 2014, 1:53 PM
Interstellar comes out in November.

Lotjx not knowing what the fuck he's talking about has never stopped him before.

Judas Iscariot
May 19th, 2014, 3:37 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

sam_elmendorf
May 19th, 2014, 7:31 PM
Saw this in 3D IMAX last night. Just amazing, and boatloads upon boatsloads better than the last Godzilla with Ferris Bueller! Definately worth seeing on big screen!

Beer-Belly
May 20th, 2014, 4:06 AM
Well...you asked for it...dick. http://comicbookspotlight.wordpress.com/2014/05/18/godzilla-king-of-the-supporting-monsters-spoilers/

The fact that you think that the original Godzilla boils down to "a guy in a suit with some King Kong stop motion action knocking over obviously small models" is pretty telling. Right after that, you say that the film "desperately needs a re-mastered Blu Ray edition." It already has one. It's a Criterion Collection set, so it's pretty hard to top. It has the original Japanese cut of "Gojira" and the American re-edit, "Godzilla: King of the Monsters". The original version is superior, and I think that anybody who sees it will regard it as something more than just a dude-in-a-suit-stomps-on-stuff movie.

lotjx
May 20th, 2014, 6:31 AM
The fact that you think that the original Godzilla boils down to "a guy in a suit with some King Kong stop motion action knocking over obviously small models" is pretty telling. Right after that, you say that the film "desperately needs a re-mastered Blu Ray edition." It already has one. It's a Criterion Collection set, so it's pretty hard to top. It has the original Japanese cut of "Gojira" and the American re-edit, "Godzilla: King of the Monsters". The original version is superior, and I think that anybody who sees it will regard it as something more than just a dude-in-a-suit-stomps-on-stuff movie.

I also say there are a number of themes running through the film from the horrors of the atomic attacks in Japan to arraigned marriages and love to the moral choices that scientists make in creating weapons that can cause havoc. I also said it was pretty damn good as well as a classic film, but thanks for cherry picking a few lines, so once again you can look like good for no reason.

Beer-Belly
May 20th, 2014, 6:56 AM
Arranged marriage.

Kdestiny
May 21st, 2014, 12:43 AM
Saw this in 3D IMAX last night. Just amazing, and boatloads upon boatsloads better than the last Godzilla with Ferris Bueller! Definately worth seeing on big screen!

Absolutely. I had high expectations but somehow this managed to exceed them. Really great work

The Doc
May 21st, 2014, 1:22 AM
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes will most likely be great.

I know it is a Super Hero flick but I don't really look at GotG and think, gee here's another Super Hero Movie. I look at it and I think gee, here's a Star Wars Clone to hold me over until the real Star Wars shows up. Don't take that as me thinking that this movie doesn't look like a lot of fun or hoping it doesn't succeed just that I expect when everybody sits around to talk about the movie five or ten years removed it will be compared to Star Wars, Serenity and the Fifth Element, not Spiderman, Batman and the Avengers. And we don't have nearly enough of those for fatigue to be setting in.

I agree that Dawn will probably be pretty good. Other than the massive suspension of disbelief necessary to buy that apes, no matter how smart, could be a threat to humanity as a whole. They aren't fucking bullet proof. The initial surprise attack makes sense but. . .dear god all the reasons why zombie movies should be over after the initial shock and awe fades should be in play here except multiplied by the dead not becoming evil apes.

Alf
May 21st, 2014, 5:23 AM
Guardians is not a superhero movie by the way. It's a space opera.

Beer-Belly
May 22nd, 2014, 3:18 AM
Guardians is not a superhero movie by the way. It's a space opera.

It's super heroes in space.

Mik
May 23rd, 2014, 6:48 PM
I did enjoy it. The cinema I was in was sweltering and I was absolutely knackered, so not the best environment, but I thought it was decent. It was WAY too long, I couldn't have given less of a fuck about ATJ or his family, the only human I particularly cared about was Brian Cranston's character and his part was way too small. I liked the build up, liked the opening, liked Godzilla, liked the fights, but you could've cut 30 minutes out of it and not lost anything worthwhile. It needed some levity too, it took itself a little too seriously.

To me, Cloverfield and Pacific Rim were both better, but I did like it.

Jimmy Zero
May 25th, 2014, 8:24 PM
Saw it today and I agree with most of what Mik said.

Was a very good movie. I didn't give a fuck about Ford's family. They could have been cut from the film entirely and it would have been great. I didn't feel like it was too long. The fights were fantastic, in fact I could have done with more monster fighting and less military guys running around doing things.

I'd say Cloverfield was better, but Godzilla blows Pacific Rim away.

Also, I didn't realize the director for this was the same guy that made Monsters. I thought that movie was super cool. I'm going to have to keep my eye out for more from him. I think he's got a great sense of what makes movies like these work.

Beer-Belly
May 25th, 2014, 8:48 PM
I didn't mind Ford, but he could have used more of a personality. Joseph Gordon-Levitt was initially courted for the role, and I have to wonder if he would have made the character more distinctive.

Anaconda Sniper
May 26th, 2014, 10:13 PM
Saw this today and loved it! I agree it could have been a little shorter but no complaints I found it to be paced really well. And holy shit Godzillas fatality move at the end. Fucking fantastic.

Alf
May 27th, 2014, 5:25 AM
I'm going to have to keep my eye out for more from him. I think he's got a great sense of what makes movies like these work.

He's directing one of the Star Wars spinoffs so his career has just gone through the roof (as if jumping from monsters to godzilla wasn't enough of an upward trajectory).

Donald
June 6th, 2014, 7:05 AM
I thought this movie was terrible. It started out well, but it started to go downhill once Godzilla started to appear. The lead actor has less personality than Randy Orton. I did not enjoy Pacific Rim either, but thought it was more entertaining than this new Godzilla. At times it felt like the movie would never end.

Matty C
June 6th, 2014, 2:32 PM
Why did you go see giant monster movies if you don't like watching giant monsters? :wtf:

Donald
June 6th, 2014, 2:56 PM
I do love giant monsters, just not the new Godzilla or Pacific Rim.

Matty C
June 8th, 2014, 11:06 AM
The end portion of the movie is mostly giant monster action and has universally been reported as the most entertaining part of the movie. So it's odd that you would like the start more than the finish unless you don't enjoy giant monsters.

Beer-Belly
July 29th, 2014, 12:22 AM
At Comic-Con they teased Mothra, Rodan, and mother fucking King Ghidorah for the sequel. That doesn't necessarily guarantee that all three will be appearing in the next movie, just that Toho has lent Legendary the licenses to the characters. They also announced that Gareth Edwards will be returning to direct, presumably after he makes his Star Wars spin-off.

If they're planning on going for a trilogy, then throwing Toho's other three major monsters into the second film kind of limits the third. Ghidorah should really be saved for the final film unless they're going all in on the sequel.

Judas Iscariot
July 29th, 2014, 2:44 AM
Aye, save Ghidorah for the third and have the previously feuding Godzilla, Mothra and Rodan team up against him.

Beer-Belly
July 29th, 2014, 3:23 AM
Not sure who'd be the villain in the Godzilla vs. Mothra vs. Rodan battle, though. Rodan seems like the only choice for the bad guy in that scenario. Godzilla is already established as the surly protector of Earth and there's nothing about Mothra that suggests villainy.

My main hope is that the Brody family aren't shoe-horned back into the mix. Nothing against Aaron Taylor-Johnson or Elizabeth Olsen, who is both a fine actress and a choice piece of ass, but there's no reason for them to show up in future films. Try some new characters or just stick with Ken Watanabe and Sally Hawkins as the human element.

The Doc
July 29th, 2014, 3:35 AM
The problem there is they went a little over the top on establishing Godzilla as mostly a good guy, they could easily have tapped into the 90's/2000's Godzilla where he's just the monster we hate the least and let Mothra play his normal role. That also kinda limits Mecha Godzilla unless they are going to bring in aliens.

Beer-Belly
July 29th, 2014, 4:07 AM
Towards the end everyone was gung ho for Godzilla because he saved their asses and wasn't overtly hostile towards them, but Watanabe's and Hawkin's characters never made it seem like he's always wearing a white hat. They cared about the creature because they'd studied him extensively, but I never got the impression that they thought of him as inherently good. It's not like Godzilla was catching kids falling out of buildings or anything like that; he was probably responsible for thousands of deaths in Hawaii alone and he certainly didn't give a shit.

Jimmy Zero
July 29th, 2014, 10:07 AM
It's cool that they're teasing "the big 3" Godzilla villains, but I'd also be totally fine with Edwards, or whoever, coming up with their own monsters, too.

Mik
July 29th, 2014, 1:03 PM
Aye, the whole fandom stuff means nothing to me. I liked Godzilla, but I'd just like to see a stronger film, I'm not bothered who the monsters are.

VHS
July 29th, 2014, 1:12 PM
I feel like the producer learned a lot with this movie in terms of how to improve things for the audience. He was on a podcast (forget which one) and he was called on how the last 30 minutes was the movie the people wanted to see, how people were confused why Cranston was killed off so quickly, and how boring the son/wife stuff was. He was pretty sincere with how he figured the slow burn would be a fine enough introduction to the Godzilla world, but also how the next film will take a lot of audience feedback into consideration.

Mik
July 29th, 2014, 1:19 PM
Nothing worse than making a film by audience committee though. Look at Snakes on a Plane.

Beer-Belly
July 29th, 2014, 3:56 PM
Aye, the whole fandom stuff means nothing to me. I liked Godzilla, but I'd just like to see a stronger film, I'm not bothered who the monsters are.

I agree that the story and characters should come first, but I'll be bummed if there isn't some sort of interpretation of some of the classic monsters. Maybe that's fanboy nonsense, but I think you have to hit some of the expected notes with these types of films.

VHS
September 7th, 2014, 12:17 AM
http://i.imgur.com/UDI7Igq.jpg

Beer-Belly
September 7th, 2014, 6:51 PM
Yeah, because why would someone be looking on in amazement in the presence of giant monsters and incredible devastation?

Psycho666Soldier
September 8th, 2014, 12:29 AM
It was still funny how he had a super serious face the whole movie, and they always did that zoom in on him while he explained things. Other people definitely pointed it out more than I did, though.

Beer-Belly
September 8th, 2014, 12:45 AM
Watanabe was the Morgan Freeman of the movie; just there to observe things and explain plot points to the audience.

I hope he and Sally Hawkins have a bigger role in the sequel. Aaron Taylor-Johnson did fine in the "generic audience surrogate" role, but there's no need for him or his family to return. There's nothing in that story arc worth mining.

Clutch
September 8th, 2014, 9:27 PM
I actually watched this with my wife this past weekend and we both were pretty underwhelmed. Honestly thought it was pretty shit. Tedious viewing.

Disappointed.

Beer-Belly
September 9th, 2014, 6:02 PM
What were your issues with it?

LOCONUT
November 27th, 2014, 3:41 AM
Saw this tonight. We don't use the 3D on the TV too much these days but this looked absolutely beautiful. Not a whole lot to say which hasn't been covered but I enjoyed this quite a bit more than the few other Godzilla movies I've seen.

Chris
December 29th, 2014, 10:41 AM
Got this for Christmas. As others have said, the final act delivered in terms of monster mayhem. Though I disliked the teases and cut-always when the monsters met at earlier parts of the film. It really needed more fights, not less. I know the humans aren't a big focus in these types of films, but I thought they really brought the film down. The reunion at the end had no emotional impact because the characters were so completely bland and stereotypical. The HALO jump looks cool, but it involves nameless soldiers that you have no connection with. All of the military stuff was entirely boring. The film desperately needed an Independce Day treatment, in terms of a core group of characters that are interesting and a tone that balances the serious and ridiculous aspects of the plot.

The most disappointing part of the film was that Godzilla seemed like a guest star. The MUTOs were given a much better introduction and much more time on screen. Godzilla turned up after an hour and spent time chasing the monsters. I really liked the way they tried to paint Godzilla as nature's means of maintaining order, but the logic behind that assumption didn't really work since we didn't see him do enough to justify it. The "lesser of two evils" might have been an easier approach. People cheering for Godzilla seems like something that would happen in a second or third film's finale, after he's saved the world a couple of times.

VHS
January 18th, 2015, 3:21 PM
Saturday + friends + alcohol + Godzilla = good times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYIKlkYphNQ

Beer-Belly
January 19th, 2015, 6:13 AM
So you took the last thirty seconds of the movie and dubbed over eight seconds of the credits with retard noises? Bravo, I guess.

Jimmy Zero
January 19th, 2015, 11:36 AM

You should have kept this between you and your friends.

The Rogerer
March 7th, 2015, 6:39 AM
Focusing so much on the military had the effect of making this feel extremely generic, and you have a lot of screentime with interchangable people delivering worn cliches, meaningless administrative dialogue and intentionally emotionless behaviour. Then you have the MUTAs and Godzilla as sort of motivationless heels and faces.

Just, everything's too big and widescale. Endless shots of helicopters landing and taking off and flying. Really missed a convincing emotional human core, and also not much of a meaningful allegory. Also, just not enough fun.

I much, much preferred Pacific Rim and Edge of Tomorrow as recent monster movies.

Chris
March 7th, 2015, 10:06 AM
Yeah, I don't know how anyone could prefer this over Pacific Rim. Pacific Rim completely embraced the fact that it was a B movie and went all-out wacky with some visceral action. Man of Steel is my benchmark for recent blockbusters that suffered because they took themselves too seriously, and unfortunately Godzilla leaned towards that direction. A sequel could be better, but they really need to sort out the human story next time around and also put Godzilla front and centre.

MikeHunt
March 7th, 2015, 10:10 AM

What in the love of fuck is this. Jesus Christ. What's wrong with you?

Beer-Belly
March 7th, 2015, 3:01 PM
Focusing so much on the military had the effect of making this feel extremely generic, and you have a lot of screentime with interchangable people delivering worn cliches, meaningless administrative dialogue and intentionally emotionless behaviour. Then you have the MUTAs and Godzilla as sort of motivationless heels and faces.

Just, everything's too big and widescale. Endless shots of helicopters landing and taking off and flying. Really missed a convincing emotional human core, and also not much of a meaningful allegory. Also, just not enough fun.

I much, much preferred Pacific Rim and Edge of Tomorrow as recent monster movies.

Godzilla was Mother Nature personified and the MUTOs wanted to fuck and create more MUTOs. Godzilla didn't want them disturbing his peace. Not exactly the most outstanding of motivations, but they are lumbering beasts.

You make a lot of good points here, but I still had a blast seeing this on the big screen.

Also, I understand people wanting a giant monster movie to embrace its "B movie-ness", but I think it's just as appropriate for films of that ilk to go for a dead serious approach. The concept of humongous unstoppable creatures doing whatever they please is just as terrifying as it is outlandish.

I guess I need to see Edge of Tomorrow.

Bert
March 7th, 2015, 5:19 PM

Reported for copyright infringement.

MikeHunt
March 7th, 2015, 5:24 PM
Hey Bert that's not cool he was just having "fun" with his "mates"

The Rogerer
March 8th, 2015, 6:56 AM
Godzilla was Mother Nature personified and the MUTOs wanted to fuck and create more MUTOs. Godzilla didn't want them disturbing his peace. Not exactly the most outstanding of motivations, but they are lumbering beasts.

You make a lot of good points here, but I still had a blast seeing this on the big screen.

Also, I understand people wanting a giant monster movie to embrace its "B movie-ness", but I think it's just as appropriate for films of that ilk to go for a dead serious approach. The concept of humongous unstoppable creatures doing whatever they please is just as terrifying as it is outlandish.

I guess I need to see Edge of Tomorrow.Yeah, I wouldn't say it had to be fun, but a bit of fun would have made up for the other deficiencies. I feel like we know the military effort is futile so why spend so long focusing on it? Fetishistically staring at US military hardware in a film that's not about that and has nothing to say but barked orders. I think the slightly ropey Speilberg version of War of the Worlds understood this. At some point there's thosands of people dead anyway so it's ultimately already lost for them - but an individual's perspective is then even more important. Some of Cranston's dialogue was really clunky, but still, why remove the one character who has meaningful emotional stakes in the whole thing?

I mean, it's not bad, it stands accused of being dumb when it's a film about big monsters, but it's just disappointing that they were so workmanlike about it.

Edge of Tomorrow slash Live Die Repeat really surprised me. I started to think I was just getting completely bored with action movies and it entertained me from start to finish.

Beer-Belly
September 10th, 2015, 10:45 PM
Apparently Godzilla vs. King Kong is pretty much a lock. I'm sure a lot of people will be cynical about this being a cash grab, but I fucking love Godzilla, so I'll be there with bells on.

Percussion
September 10th, 2015, 10:52 PM
Of course it's a cash grab. That doesn't make it any less fucking Godzilla vs. fucking King Kong. So yes, assuming the trailers don't shit the bed, with fucking bells on.

Beer-Belly
September 10th, 2015, 10:58 PM
I'm assuming Kong gets super-sized some way or another. Otherwise, Godzilla could just step on him before fucking off back into the ocean.

Percussion
September 10th, 2015, 11:17 PM
Nuclear fubbery would come off kind of lame, but he only has to get big enough for a Neville/Reigns-like showdown. Kong's a smart agile super ape after that. But I'm not sure how you make a smart agile super ape a little more of those things without some fubbery.

Beer-Belly
September 10th, 2015, 11:27 PM
Kong might just get bigger over time. By present day he could be big enough to take on Godzilla. I'm fairly sure that the movie will end with both of them teaming up to take on a common foe. No one wants to see either of the title characters kill the other.

mth
September 10th, 2015, 11:33 PM
As a long-time Kong fan, I'm intrigued by this information. I'd be interested to see a more agile Kong fighting a powerhouse Godzilla rather than as two firm-footed behemoths just slugging it out. As mentioned, making it like Neville versus Reigns (rather than Kane versus Taker), with Kong leaping from building to building, fighting like Beast from X-men, could make for a pretty killer fight.

Percussion
September 10th, 2015, 11:34 PM
Rabid Kong.

People might even understand if Godzilla had to put down Rabid Kong.

Beer-Belly
September 10th, 2015, 11:47 PM
I'm a lifelong Godzilla fan, so I wouldn't be too heartbroken if he had to pimp slap Kong back to Skull Island.

I like the "rabid Kong" idea. He'd still need to gain some size, though. I'm thinking Rey Mysterio vs. Brock Lesnar in terms of size difference.

Jimmy Zero
September 10th, 2015, 11:52 PM
I don't see why they need to specifically address a size difference. Just introduce Kong as big enough to challenge Godzilla. Done.

Beer-Belly
September 11th, 2015, 12:00 AM
I don't see why they need to specifically address a size difference. Just introduce Kong as big enough to challenge Godzilla. Done.

It's only an issue because a new set of King Kong movies is being made. We have no idea of knowing how big he'll be, but Kong is typically much smaller than Godzilla. Of course, when the original King Kong vs. Godzilla was made, they just said fuck it and made them the same size without bothering to explain it.

Jimmy Zero
September 11th, 2015, 12:08 AM
Eh I get the desire to have the size difference explained, but it's a giant monster movie. Ultimately, I just want to see those big bastards beat the shit out of each other.

Also, I hope Peter Jackson is in no way involved with another Kong movie. That guy sucks.

Percussion
September 11th, 2015, 12:22 AM
But when studios get lazy in explaining things then we're all of a sudden in the aforementioned cash grab territory. Which stinks and sets back any chance to get a decent version of what we're anticipating here.

I don't want just monster porn, I want a badass monster movie.

Jimmy Zero
September 11th, 2015, 12:26 AM
It's a summer blockbuster movie. The whole point of summer blockbusters is a cash grab. There's no reason they can't both have it be a cash grab AND a badass monster movie. The first Avengers was a cash grab AND a badass superhero movie.

Beer-Belly
September 11th, 2015, 12:28 AM
Eh I get the desire to have the size difference explained, but it's a giant monster movie. Ultimately, I just want to see those big bastards beat the shit out of each other.

Also, I hope Peter Jackson is in no way involved with another Kong movie. That guy sucks.

Holy shit, why was Peter Jackson's King Kong so long? I swear, it felt like a quarter of the movie consisted of Kong and Naomi Watts looking at each other. We get that they have a special connection, now cut the shit. I thought that movie had some great action scenes, though. Kong fighting the two T-Rex was excellent.

I really hope these movies nail King Ghidorah. He should be presented like Cthulu. Just go bat shit and and give him a cult of fanatical followers.

Jimmy Zero
September 11th, 2015, 12:35 AM
Holy shit, why was Peter Jackson's King Kong so long?

Because Peter Jackson is a bad director. He's overrated by LOTR fans.

The only movie of his I think is even watchable all the way through is Dead Alive.

Beer-Belly
September 11th, 2015, 12:43 AM

The only movie of his I think is even watchable all the way through is Dead Alive.

He's not a bad director; a bad director wouldn't have been able to pull off that Kong/T. Rex sequence. Jackson is just self indulgent and he doesn't know when to reign himself in.

Percussion
September 11th, 2015, 12:43 AM
It's a summer blockbuster movie. The whole point of summer blockbusters is a cash grab. There's no reason they can't both have it be a cash grab AND a badass monster movie. The first Avengers was a cash grab AND a badass superhero movie.

I said as much earlier. But badass shouldn't have to settle for lazy inconsequential storytelling. Into the Storm made money, and it looked cool, but it was a shit movie. I'd prefer if this weren't a shit movie.

Atty
September 11th, 2015, 1:29 AM
Godzilla v Kong: Dawn of Something Clever Here

Beer-Belly
September 11th, 2015, 1:35 AM
Godzilla v Kong: Dawn of Something Clever Here

Godzilla is cooler than super heroes.

Jimmy Zero
September 11th, 2015, 10:22 AM
I said as much earlier. But badass shouldn't have to settle for lazy inconsequential storytelling. Into the Storm made money, and it looked cool, but it was a shit movie. I'd prefer if this weren't a shit movie.

I don't think there's any reason to think it will be lazy storytelling, though. While it certainly had its issues, that latest Godzilla movie had far better storytelling than I expected from it. I have faith that they'll do Kong vs Godzilla justice.

Hero!
September 11th, 2015, 10:57 AM
Kong vs Godzilla? Already? I woulda saved it for a third film, where someone genetically engineers Kong for the purpose of fighting off Godzilla, whom they perceive to be a threat.

Film 2 shoulda been Zilla vs the Sea Monster. Sea Monster is so underrated. MON THE SEA MONSTER.

Jimmy Zero
September 11th, 2015, 11:32 AM
This is a 3rd film. According to what I read, production on Kong vs Godzilla starts after Godzilla 2 and the first Kong release.

Hero!
September 11th, 2015, 11:58 AM
I am happier now.

Who's the baddy for movie 2? Is it the Sea Monster?

Percussion
September 11th, 2015, 12:06 PM
The NE Patriots, they've just passed up ISIS as the biggest baddies going. Godzilla will fucking eat them.

Gary J
September 11th, 2015, 3:25 PM

The Frighteners is great at least I remember it being great it's been a long time since I saw it.

The Beer Monster
September 11th, 2015, 6:01 PM
Godzilla v King Kong? I'm very aroused by that.

Donald
September 11th, 2015, 6:02 PM
The Frighteners is great at least I remember it being great it's been a long time since I saw it.

The Frighteners is indeed a great film.

mth
September 11th, 2015, 6:50 PM
I remember hearing The Frighteners was good so then T watched it and it was not.

Defrost
September 11th, 2015, 7:14 PM

Is that the movie where Michael J Fox sees ghosts?

mth
September 11th, 2015, 7:37 PM
Yes.

Judas Iscariot
September 11th, 2015, 7:39 PM
Dead Alive is one of the most ridiculous films I've ever seen and I love it for that.

The LOTR films were fine except for him fucking everything up. The Hobbit films are a disaster.

Chris
July 21st, 2018, 4:20 PM
New trailer is up with plenty of teases of the new monsters. Can't wait to see Ghidorah in all its glory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=139&v=wVDtmouV9kM

MikeHunt
July 21st, 2018, 5:22 PM
YES FUCKING PLEASE!!!!!

LET THEM FIGHT!!!!

Cewsh
July 21st, 2018, 9:21 PM
Dear god, that trailer is incredible.

Fro
July 21st, 2018, 11:59 PM
"Long live the king"

yea that was a good trailer. I was a bit confused by the Vera Farmiga voice over but it was definitely intriguing, and the visuals looked great. Millie Bobby Brown and Charles Dance... fuck yes.

BigAl
July 22nd, 2018, 9:25 AM
Can’t wait for this to hit theaters. Looks amazing.

VanillaJello
July 24th, 2018, 3:49 AM
Mothra spreading her wings was so beautiful

VHS
July 24th, 2018, 8:45 AM
Definitely marked out big time seeing Mothra. :yes:

Beer-Belly
July 25th, 2018, 6:40 AM
That trailer ruled. I'm guessing Vera Farmiga and Charles Dance are villains.

Chris
December 10th, 2018, 1:35 PM
New trailer. Kicks ass.

https://youtu.be/KDnKuFtdc7A

VHS
December 10th, 2018, 1:38 PM
Rodan and Mothra look so freaking good. :hyper:

Cewsh
December 10th, 2018, 3:57 PM
Dude, this movie looks incredible

Nash Diesel
December 10th, 2018, 4:06 PM
Never really got into these movies growing up or even the newer versions. But this does look pretty fucking incredible.

I just hope they don't try to make Godzilla some Free Willy type character in this. Some friendly beast who shows compassion. Naw, beat that ass you crazy bitch (Godzilla is a female, correct?)