PDA

View Full Version : JUST FOR FUN: Predict England's starting XI for the 2014 World Cup

turdpower
March 7th, 2010, 1:44 PM
Or if England don't make it, they're starting XI for the first fixture after the 2014 World Cup. Not necessarily who you WANT it to be, but who you THINK it will be.

2 points for every player you get in the XI
1 point if the player is in the squad but not the XI
BONUS 2 points for predicting the captain

Joe Hart

Glen Johnson ---- Michael Mancienne ---- Ryan Shawcross ---- Kieran Gibbs

Aaron Lennon ---- Steven Gerrard ---- Jack Rodwell ---- Jole Cole

Wayne Rooney (C) ---- Danny Welbeck

Simon
March 7th, 2010, 1:46 PM
I don't even think anyone would correctly guess our starting XI for the 2010 World Cup. Genuinely.

Gangers
March 7th, 2010, 2:13 PM
Why such wholesale changes turdy? I can easily see Ashley Cole and John Terry still being around and first choices in their positions.

TraXX
March 7th, 2010, 2:47 PM
Hart

G.Johnson - Terry - Shawcross - Baines

Lennon - Gerrard - Milner - A.Johnson

Rooney (c) - C.Cole

Andy
March 7th, 2010, 2:58 PM
Hart

Johnson Terry Cahill Gibbs

Walcott Rodwell Milner Wilshere

Rooney Cole

Simon
March 7th, 2010, 3:05 PM
No love for the Wilsh?

Andy
March 7th, 2010, 3:20 PM
Er...

Gangers
March 7th, 2010, 3:49 PM
Right you are:

Hart

Glen Johnson - Terry - Rodwell - Cole

Gerrard - Wilshere - Milner

Lennon - Adam Johnson
Rooney

Gangers
March 7th, 2010, 3:51 PM
Seriously guys, Ashley Cole is only going to be 33. Nobody else think he'll still be the best left back in England?

Gary J
March 7th, 2010, 4:10 PM
Kirkland

Johnson - Jagielka - Smalling - Baines

Lennon - Noble - Milner - Downing

Rooney - C.Cole

Gangers
March 7th, 2010, 4:18 PM
Noble, Upson :lol: good one mate, where's your real team?

Andy
March 7th, 2010, 4:26 PM
There's no way a 35 year old Matthew Upson will go to a world cup as first choice.

Gangers
March 7th, 2010, 4:28 PM
Guys here's my thought, if we take Gary J's team to the World Cup, we will get fucking murdered.

Andy
March 7th, 2010, 4:32 PM
My team is great. BALANCE.

Gary J
March 7th, 2010, 4:32 PM
Didn't realise Upson was that old. Gary Cahill instead then.

turdpower
March 7th, 2010, 4:33 PM
Why such wholesale changes turdy? I can easily see Ashley Cole and John Terry still being around and first choices in their positions.

Same number of "changes" as your team

:dunno:

Out of the two, Ferdinand is likely to last longer than Terry. IMO.

Gary J
March 7th, 2010, 4:36 PM
Noble, Upson :lol: good one mate, where's your real team?

Only if you post yours Wilshere :lol: He won't even be in the premiership in 2014 he'll be at somemidtable championship table team or still waiting for Wenger to give him a chance. As for laughing at my choice of Upson your pick of Terry was just as bad.

Gangers
March 7th, 2010, 4:43 PM
Except that Terry is a first choice, England regular, whether you think that's because of his ability or his HEART OF A LION is irrelevant. Upson is a back up, who is older than Terry and regarded nowhere near as highly. Yes that's just as bad.

McBain
March 7th, 2010, 4:47 PM
Hart

G Johnson - Jagielka - Cahill - Gibbs

Lennon - Rodwell - Milner - A Johnson

Rooney - Agbonlahor

Gary J
March 7th, 2010, 4:50 PM
John Terry also has been troubled with persistent injuries over the past few seasons. In fact it was reported that if he kept playing through these injuries he'd end up in a wheelchair. No way will he be able to compete at international level in 4 years time. Also Upon is first choice in Rio's absence if he doesn't recover fully Upson will be a regular first choice.

McBain
March 7th, 2010, 4:51 PM
In 4 years time?

Gary J
March 7th, 2010, 4:54 PM
Probably not but he's more likely to be a regular then John Terry.

Andy
March 7th, 2010, 4:57 PM
Matthew Upson has also had injury problems throughout his career. And he's shit.

Gary J
March 7th, 2010, 5:02 PM
Yes he's had injury problems but i've yet to hear of him apparently ending up in a wheelchair if he continues to play through these injuries. Upson is more likely to get picked for England then 2014 then Terry.

Anyway i didn't realise he was as old as he is so i've picked Gary Cahill instead.

Gary J
March 7th, 2010, 5:05 PM
Matthew Upson has also had injury problems throughout his career. And he's shit.

He's not shit Arsenal would have been better off resigning him then Sol Campbell.

Andy
March 7th, 2010, 5:11 PM
Well obviously but Campbell was free. He's actually been pretty excellent whenever he's played too. And Upson really is not very good. He's not an international defender now, let alone at the age of 35.

Gary J
March 7th, 2010, 5:15 PM
Yeah Sol has been pretty good since he came back. Would Upson have been that expensive though considering West Ham needed the money ?

I wouldn't personally have Upson as first choice but i thought we were predicting who would be the ones getting picked and not our own preferences ?

RFF Champ
March 8th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Dunno about Mancienne. He looked outstanding in the Championship and for the U21s but I think he struggled a lot earlier on in the season and has since been used only occasionally in midfield.

1_Pablo_Angel
March 8th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Hart

Johnson Turner Shawcross Gibbs

Walcott Milner (c) Huddlestone Johnson

Delfouneso Rooney

McBain
March 8th, 2010, 11:15 AM
I very narely said the Fonz.

Simon
March 8th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Well obviously but Campbell was free. He's actually been pretty excellent whenever he's played too. And Upson really is not very good. He's not an international defender now, let alone at the age of 35.

Eh? Upson is a very decent Premier League defender. And certainly good enough for a squad place with England, though preferably not as high up as he is. If Arsenal had retained him rather than working their way through a list of average to poor centre backs over the past few years, they may have won a few more trophies.

Andy
March 8th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Matthew Upson would not have won us trophies. Fucking hell, he was playing in the Championship when a struggling West Ham spunked a load of money on him. He's an average player, England just have a lack of good centre backs at the moment.

Simon
March 8th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Other than Gallas, Toure and now Vermaelen, who have Arsenal had that is better than him? Senderos, Cygan, Djourou, Silvestre...?

Andy
March 8th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Senderos I'd put on a par with him and Djourou has the potential to be a very good centre back.

Obviously the rest are shite but Upson wouldn't have been a huge upgrade on any of our first choice defenders since he left. Our first choice partnerships have been Campbell and Toure (pretty excellent), Toure and Senderos (average), Toure and Gallas (inconsistent) and Gallas and Vermaelen (excellent).

Simon
March 8th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Forgot Campbell, fair enough. But there have been plenty of occasions in the past few years when you could have done with Upson. He's a reliable Premier League centre back, something your side hasn't been blessed with often recently.

Gary J
March 8th, 2010, 4:02 PM
Matthew Upson would not have won us trophies. Fucking hell, he was playing in the Championship when a struggling West Ham spunked a load of money on him. He's an average player, England just have a lack of good centre backs at the moment.

Bit of a strange argument there i mean where was Theo Walcott playing when Arsenal spunked a load of money on him. Where was Ramsey playing does the fact they were playing in the championship make them shit players who won't win Arsenal trophies.

Gangers
March 8th, 2010, 4:34 PM
Year Walcott was signed: 2006
Year Ramsey was signed: 2008

Year Arsenal last won a trophy: 2005

;)

Andy
March 8th, 2010, 6:12 PM
Do you really not see the difference between signing a 27 year old Matthew Upson who had played in the Premier League but dropped a division, and signing two exciting 17 year olds?

Gary J
March 9th, 2010, 8:40 AM
Yes i see the difference but can you see that you can't argue Upson was shit just because he was playing for a team in the championship so wasn't worth buying.

He's a better defender then Senderos , Toure , Cygan , Silvestre , Djourou.

Gary J
March 10th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Actually i may have a bit hasty putting Cahill in. Surely if Chris Smalling is a success at Man Utd he'll be starting for England in 2014.

turdpower
March 10th, 2010, 6:53 PM
Aye, I was tempted to put him in. But I've only seen him play once.

Lagom
March 13th, 2010, 8:23 PM
Hart

Richards - Shawcross - Cahill - Cole

Gerrard - Rodwell - Milner (c)

Lennon - Johnson

Rooney

turdpower
March 13th, 2010, 8:53 PM
Yeah, I forgot Johnson, I'll add him in for Joe Cole.

Gangers
March 14th, 2010, 6:34 AM
Joe Cole will be in a wheelchair in four years. I put Johnson in mine too you know :mad:

Lagom's team is pretty similar to mine, actually. And we're the only people who have gone with the lone striker.

Bluemoon
March 15th, 2010, 4:46 PM
Hart

Richards - Shawcross - Cahill - Cole

Gerrard - Rodwell - Milner (c)

Lennon - Johnson

Rooney

Put Bains left back, Johnson right back with Richards CB for Cahill and maybe Walcott right and that wouldn't be far off.

turdpower
March 31st, 2011, 3:01 PM
Saw this on a mates facebook, which reminded me of this thread:

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/197370_10150137817116741_594616740_7000859_6059722 _n.jpg

Only a year on and my predictions already look terrible.

McBain
March 31st, 2011, 3:04 PM
I picked Gabby. :lol:

MikeHunt
March 31st, 2011, 3:09 PM
england will never have a starting line up with that many youngsters.

McBain
March 31st, 2011, 3:11 PM
Rooney will have had to had a serious accident for him to be replaced by Danny F'n Welbeck FFS.

Andy
March 31st, 2011, 3:20 PM
Mine wasn't a bad guess I don't think. Carlton Cole though, for fucks sake. sof must've got into my brain that day.

Gangers
March 31st, 2011, 3:22 PM
Only if you post yours Wilshere :lol: He won't even be in the premiership in 2014 he'll be at somemidtable championship table team or still waiting for Wenger to give him a chance. As for laughing at my choice of Upson your pick of Terry was just as bad.

Blahahahhahahahhaa

Mark Noble's looking a sure thing though isn't he Gaz?

Second City Saint
March 31st, 2011, 4:14 PM
Milner's out? He'll be like 29 right?

Bad Collin
March 31st, 2011, 4:24 PM
Hart

Kelly Cahill Shawcross Cole

Wilshire Parker Henderson

Walcott Carroll Rooney

Bennedy
March 31st, 2011, 4:29 PM
Parker will be about 33 by the time the World Cup comes around. I don't see him as a first team regular.

Bad Collin
March 31st, 2011, 4:31 PM
33 is nothing for a late bloomer like Scotty.

Ringo
March 31st, 2011, 4:31 PM
Super Josh McEachran will be 21. Get him in there alongside Wilshere. Pure claaaaaaaaaaaaaaass.

Bennedy
March 31st, 2011, 4:34 PM
Seconded. Him and Wilshere pulling the strings in midfield would be BOSS.

Second City Saint
March 31st, 2011, 4:35 PM
He should probably eat something first

Bennedy
March 31st, 2011, 4:48 PM
You'll eat fist if you insult my boy Josh again.

Bad Collin
March 31st, 2011, 4:50 PM
Josh likes a fist up the arse.

Second City Saint
March 31st, 2011, 4:51 PM
http://www.balls.ie/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Josh-McEachran-007.jpg

Looks like fucking Gollum

Bennedy
March 31st, 2011, 4:53 PM
He is ultra sexy.

turdpower
March 31st, 2011, 4:54 PM
Scholes could probably still do a job.

Gary J
March 31st, 2011, 4:58 PM
Blahahahhahahahhaa

Mark Noble's looking a sure thing though isn't he Gaz?

I think i always over rate Noble because he was impressive when he was at Hull City i don't even think he's a sure thing to be in the West Ham starting eleven most weeks now let alone near an England squad.

MikeHunt
March 31st, 2011, 5:07 PM
Josh McEachran might end up playing for scotland.

you never know.

Gangers
March 31st, 2011, 5:28 PM
I think i always over rate Noble because he was impressive when he was at Hull City i don't even think he's a sure thing to be in the West Ham starting eleven most weeks now let alone near an England squad.

Time makes fools of us all. Except me, I still think my lineup is plausible, although Rodwell's still not playing defence which is where his best position was supposed to be, so probably not that one.

Andy
March 31st, 2011, 5:38 PM
Do Liverpool fans think Kelly will still be at right back in a few years? I thought he'd been singled out as Carragher's replacement in the middle for years.

Bad Collin
March 31st, 2011, 5:49 PM
Perhaps not, it depends where we need him.

UK Blue
March 31st, 2011, 7:12 PM
4-3-3

Hart, Walker, Jones, Cahill, Gibbs, Milner, Rodwell, Wilshere, Johnson, Carroll, Rooney

SUBS: Foster, Richards, Delph, Henderson, Albrighton, Young, Sturridge

Terry, Cole and Gerrard can all fuck off.

Andy
March 31st, 2011, 7:42 PM
What about Theo? :nono:

UK Blue
March 31st, 2011, 7:45 PM
Theo takes up golf instead.

RFF Champ
April 1st, 2011, 4:45 AM
Hart, Richards, Smalling, Cahill, Cole - Henderson, Wilshere, Rodwell - Welbeck, Carroll, Rooney.

RFF Champ
April 1st, 2011, 4:47 AM
If it turns out to be right then fantastic. If it's wrong then April Fools!

Second City Saint
April 1st, 2011, 6:36 AM
That's a pretty solid safety net

turdpower
October 17th, 2012, 12:50 PM
My team is fucking laughable JOE COLE ffs.

:lol:

Ringo
October 17th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Carlton Cole in a few teams :eek:

Bad Collin
October 18th, 2012, 5:04 AM
Martin Kelly isn't going to make it. He is too fragile :(

Torn
June 25th, 2014, 10:34 AM
Hart, Richards, Smalling, Cahill, Cole - Henderson, Wilshere, Rodwell - Welbeck, Carroll, Rooney.

Not a bad effort!

Bad Collin
June 25th, 2014, 11:10 AM
Hart

Kelly Cahill Shawcross Cole

Wilshire Parker Henderson

Walcott Carroll Rooney

Not a bad go, Walcott would have been in the team if he wasn't injured. Cole should have been. Kelly plays about three games a season because he is brittle.

turdpower
October 12th, 2014, 4:27 PM
I bothered to score this. A reminder, 2 points for getting a player in the starting XI, 1 point if they make the squad, bonus 2 points for captain (which everyone forgot about and nobody got right)

RESULTS

Alex ( a year later entry) - 12
Gangers - 11
McBain - 11
Traxx - 11
Gary J - 10
turdpower - 10
UK Blue (a year later entry) - 10
Andy - 10
Lagom - 9
Bad Collin (a year later entry) - 9
1_Pablo_Angel - 7