PDA

View Full Version : The Transfer Rumours Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64

Andy
February 15th, 2010, 10:40 AM
I know it's a bit early but I'm bored so I thought I'd get started on this.

It seems almost certain that we will sign Marouane Chamakh on a free from Bordeaux, while Liverpool will sign Milan Jovanovic for free from Standard Liege.

We're also meant to be signing a young centre back from Montenegro, Savic I think his name is.

We need to tie Gallas down to a new deal, get Djourou fit, get rid of Campbell and Silvestre, sign at least one more centre back and possibly a new full back if neither of our current ones improve to sort out our defence. A new goalkeeper, another body in holding midfield and at least one more striker will also be required in order to challenge next year. If Walcott can't get fit we'll also need a speedy winger.

So, who do you think you should sign? Who is likely to sign? What areas need strengthening the most?

son_of_foley
February 15th, 2010, 10:46 AM
I DONT KNOW BECAUSE THE SEASON ISNT OVER YET.

Andy
February 15th, 2010, 10:54 AM
COME ON MATE HAVE A GUESS

Lazurus
February 15th, 2010, 10:55 AM
I think we will try and sign the players that we might need for the challenges of next season.

We don't know what those may be; if you're wondering why this is then I think s_o_f summed it up.

son_of_foley
February 15th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Andy I literally can't tell you what we'll be doing in the summer. Possibly replacing Commons and Hulse if premiership interest surfaces again. Signing a new RB but by end of season Nicky Hunt or Vidal might be on board. 3 players contracts are expiring if they go we might replace them if they dont we probably won't

MMH
February 15th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Jovanovic keeps saying that he doesnt want to go to Liverpool because he doesnt know if he will get first team football.

I dont care who we sign but we simply must sign Pienaar to a contract extension. he is our best player.

Simon
February 15th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Beckford to Everton is supposedly signed isn't it?

Andy
February 15th, 2010, 1:24 PM
Don't think do.

Liverpool are being linked with that boy Krasic aswell who has impressed in the CL.

Gary J
February 15th, 2010, 4:16 PM
Signing a new RB but by end of season Nicky Hunt or Vidal might be on board.

Nicky Hunt is supposedly going to be joining us along with Paul Green but then those rumors have been around for a while now and nothings happened.

I just hope we sign Altidore permanently in the summer and buy a decent central defender.

MMH
February 15th, 2010, 5:38 PM
Beckford to Everton is supposedly signed isn't it?

He has agreed to come to us but nothing has been signed as such which is a bit strange.

I reckon he is worth a shot on a free. If he is shit we can sell him to Hull or Wigan for 3M next summer.

Oh we have signed Jan Mucha the Slovakian keeper on a free in the summer too. Moyes loves to sign back up keepers. Its someone to watch in the World Cup anyway.

Bluemoon
February 15th, 2010, 5:53 PM
Don't think do.

Liverpool are being linked with that boy Krasic aswell who has impressed in the CL.

He has signed a pre-contract hasn't he.

Simon
March 8th, 2010, 10:30 AM
United have signed a Belgian youngster called Marnick Vermijl from Liege for £300k, joining in the summer. He's a full back who can play either side apparently. Has yet to play for Liege though, so who knows how good he is. Then again neither Rafael nor Fabio had ever played for Fluminense before they joined United had they?

Ribery has admitted Chelsea want him as well as Madrid and Barca, while Angel Di Maria has pretty much admitted he's going in the summer although he won't say where. Hopefully we'll see both of them in the Premier League next year.

The Cardiff right back Adam Matthews is being linked with United, Villa and, yes, Spurs (because God knows we don't have enough young right backs at the moment, what with Corluka knocking on at 24 and Naughton and Walker knocking on a bit too, not to mention Nathan Byrne and Adam Smith), anyone seen anything of him?

RFF Champ
April 20th, 2010, 6:59 AM
Rumours have been knocking around for a couple of days and the papers have picked it up that Everton are looking at Steven Taylor and Newcastle are looking at Joseph Yobo so a swap deal is on the cards.

Simon
April 20th, 2010, 7:30 AM
Spurs have signed Sandro pending work permit issues, that and Chamakh are the only big name signings I can think of that are confirmed.

Andy
April 20th, 2010, 7:33 AM
Aguero has been making noises about wanting to go to Chelsea. He has a buy-out clause of 60 million euros apparently.

We've been heavily linked with Gary Cahill and Joe Hart over the last couple of days. Wenger also said he'll be waiting outside the Bernabeau this summer in case Real decide to get rid of any more class players. :lol:

Simon
April 20th, 2010, 7:35 AM
Wouldn't be a bad move. Love the irony of Madrid being desperate to win the CL, spending £250m on new players, STILL crashing out in the last 16 and then seeing cast-offs Robben and Sneijder guide Bayern and Inter to possible victory.

Andy
April 20th, 2010, 7:41 AM
It's genuinely bizzare. The thing I don't understand is that Sneijder and Robben knew they would have huge competition but both said they wanted to stay and fight for their place. Why not let them stay?! Imagine the strength of the squad if they did. Now they have inferior players like Granero, an ageing Guti and with Ronaldo playing where ever he wants, no out and out winger. Very strange.

Ringo
April 20th, 2010, 7:57 AM
Well we're signing Aguero, Ribery, Di Maria, Dzeko, Hamsik, Higuain and Pato.

Maybe.

El Capitano Gatisto
April 25th, 2010, 8:32 AM
It's genuinely bizzare. The thing I don't understand is that Sneijder and Robben knew they would have huge competition but both said they wanted to stay and fight for their place. Why not let them stay?! Imagine the strength of the squad if they did. Now they have inferior players like Granero, an ageing Guti and with Ronaldo playing where ever he wants, no out and out winger. Very strange.

They needed the money.

Simon
April 25th, 2010, 8:46 AM
The Guardian ran with a half-page story about Van Der Vaart going to Liverpool in the summer. Gerrard replacement maybe?

Red Dog
April 25th, 2010, 8:58 AM
Aguero has been making noises about wanting to go to Chelsea. He has a buy-out clause of 60 million euros apparently.

We've been heavily linked with Gary Cahill and Joe Hart over the last couple of days. Wenger also said he'll be waiting outside the Bernabeau this summer in case Real decide to get rid of any more class players. :lol:
Doubt Hart will be going anywhere if Given is long term injured.

As stated before though that would be an excellent signing.

If we get promoted I'd like us to sign 10 first team players.

Gary J
April 25th, 2010, 9:02 AM
About time they went for Cahill.

Chris kirkland would be a better signing for them.

I still think they should go for Mark noble too but then i said that at the end of last season. I can now say i know how frustated Arsenal fans must be every transfer window when Wenger can't identify the targets that team obviously needs.

Ringo
April 25th, 2010, 6:04 PM
So Gary, who do you reckon will be leaving Hull this Summer?

Gary J
April 25th, 2010, 6:24 PM
Bullard and Zayatte are supposedly off to Newcastle.

Wolves will probably come back in for Hunt although personally i think he could do better.

Boateng's contract has expired and it's unlikely he'll be there. Although i'll be sad to see him go i did think he was a bit out of order last night on MotD with his comments about Brown. Mendy has already declared he's off and good riddance.

Sadly i also think Myhill's time is up. He's been great for us and his arrival coincided with our rise up the leagues but the premiership was a step too far. His kicking is abysmal and he made too many mistakes this season. I think he'll probably go cheap to some midtable championship team (Sheff Utd probably)

Mouyokolo and Cairney will probably be sold off cheap to rot in some premiership teams reserves.

Anthony Gardner will probably get snapped up too same he wasn't fit during his time here as when he did play he looked decent. Although it was hardly a suprise he was rarely fit going by his previous injury record.

Hopefully Fagan follows them through the exit door. Let him try his best to get sent off in every game for someone else.

I think Folans off to QPR too.

Kamel Ghilas will probably get snapped up by Blackburn and i still can't figure what possible reason Brown and Dowie had for never playing him.

Ringo
April 25th, 2010, 6:32 PM
What about Geovanni? And any news as to whether Altidore will sign permanently for another Premiership team or return to Spain?

Gary J
April 25th, 2010, 6:45 PM
I think Geovanni has already signed a pre-contract for AEK Athens. Either that or he's off to discuss a move there.

As for Altidore we were supposedly gonna buy him for £6m and he seemed to want the move here but it probably won't happen now. As for his future not sure what will happen if has a good world cup Villareal might wanna keep him or sell him for a hugher price. Will be sad to see him as i loved him during his time here.

MMH
April 29th, 2010, 5:30 AM
Everton has signed Portguese young striker Joao Silva from Aves in the second division for 500k.

He has scored 13 goals this season and has been likened to Pauleta. He also looks like a young Fred West.

Sounds a cracker.

Simon
April 29th, 2010, 5:45 AM
So if he's like Pauleta does that mean he'll score ten goals in the early rounds of the cup competitions against amateur sides then fall off the radar any time you play someone half-decent? :D

MMH
April 29th, 2010, 5:48 AM
So if he's like Pauleta does that mean he'll score ten goals in the early rounds of the cup competitions against amateur sides then fall off the radar any time you play someone half-decent? :D

Probably. Portuguese strikers are shit. Im getting Helder Postiga vibes about this. At least he was cheaper.

Also being linked With Charlie Adam of Blackpool. Looks like a star studded set of summer transfers.

Gary J
May 6th, 2010, 9:20 PM
Our clear-out has begun Mendy to Blackburn is apparently a done deal as is Marney to Burnley and Geovanni is on his way to Trabzonspor.

St Etienne have started the bidding for Zayatte.

son_of_foley
May 7th, 2010, 12:02 PM
DCFC_KEV told us last week we have made a bid to sign Gareth Roberts from Donny on a free. Looks like it's happening as well. 100% strike rate

Simon
May 7th, 2010, 12:16 PM
I know from a good source that Donny have 4.5m to spend this summer and are going all out to sign the players they have on loan, Jason Shackell and Billy Sharp are the main ones IIRC. You want me to speak to him and find out if he knows anything about the Gareth Roberts sof?

son_of_foley
May 7th, 2010, 12:25 PM
May as well.

I really hope we get hooper. Not happening though more than likely

Simon
May 7th, 2010, 12:59 PM
"We've offered him a contract but he's been offered one at Derby as well. He's deciding whilst he's on holiday."

Earth shattering news I'm sure you'll agree. You can be sure it's gospel though as he is the son of one of the directors.

1_Pablo_Angel
May 9th, 2010, 8:50 AM
SIDWELL: Wants to go to a London club

By Neil Ashton, 08/05/2010

STEVEN SIDWELL is on the verge of a cut-price move to Fulham after being told he can quit Aston Villa.

The midfielder has become increasingly disillusioned with life at Villa Park and will return to London in the summer.

Villa chief Martin O'Neill has made it clear he doesn't fancy a player he signed from Chelsea two years ago.

Although Sidwell's salary will cause Fulham a problem, they are hoping to sign him on a reduced deal from Villa.

Striker Andrew Johnson is Fulham's best paid player on £50,000 a week, but the club are reluctant to put others on a similar pay scale.

Sidwell has been commuting to Villa's training ground this season from his home in south London and wants a club in the capital.

Although West Ham is an alternative option, Hodgson has a knack of resurrecting careers.

Sidwell's has been at a standstill ever since he signed for Villa and he is desperate to get away after a frustrating spell in the Midlands.

:hyper:

:wave:

1_Pablo_Angel
May 9th, 2010, 8:51 AM
Those smilies are harsh really, he's always tried his best for us. Just not very good. Also suffered a bit, as a few of our players have, from being put in a system that doesn't really suit his game.

Simon
May 9th, 2010, 8:55 AM
I wouldn't get too excited, if you lose Sidwell you know O'Neill will probably buy Jenas.

Murphy
May 9th, 2010, 8:55 AM
:hyper:

1_Pablo_Angel
May 9th, 2010, 8:57 AM
I wouldn't get too excited, if you lose Sidwell you know O'Neill will probably buy Jenas.

Probably for twice the price.

McBain
May 9th, 2010, 9:10 AM
I'm so desperate for us to nab Scott Parker. £12m should do the trick.

Spurs will no doubt beat us to that one though.

Lazurus
May 9th, 2010, 9:12 AM
We wouldn't pay his wages and he's not the kind of player we need anyway.

RFF Champ
May 11th, 2010, 4:10 AM
Arsenal
Sol Campbell, b, Philippe Senderos, b, Mikael Silvestre, b, William Gallas, b.

Aston Villa
Andy Marshall, mv, Wilfred Bouma, b, Marlon Harewood, a.

Birmingham
Maik Taylor, mv, Stuart Parnaby, b, Lee Carsley, m, Sebastian Larsson, m, Garry O'Connor, a, Kevin Phillips, a.

Blackburn
Yildiray Basturk, m, Morten Gamst Pedersen, m.

Bolton
Paul Robinson, b, Gavin McCann, b, Tamir Cohen, b, Stuart Holden, m, Joey O'Brien, m, Ivan Klasnic, a, Ricardo Vaz Te, a.

Burnley
Brian Jensen, mv, Stephen Caldwell, b, Clarke Carlisle, b, Graham Alexander, b, Michael Duff, m, Joey Gudjonsson, m, Robbie Blake, a, Steven Thompson, a.

Chelsea
Michael Ballack, m, Joe Cole, m, Juliano Belletti, m.

Everton
Iain Turner, mv, Carlo Nash, mv.

Fulham
Pascal Zuberbuhler, mv, Jonathan Greening, m, Simon Davies, m, Andranik Teymourian, m, Erik Nevland, a, David Elm, a.

Hull
Nick Barmby, m, George Boateng, m, Richard Garcia, m, Ian Ashbee, m.

Liverpool
Fabio Aurelio, b.

Man City
Sylvinho, b, Martin Petrov, m, Patrick Vieira, m,

Man Utd
Inga

Portsmouth
Antti Niemi, mv, David James, mv, Jamie Ashdown, mv, Hermann Hreidarsson, b, Steve Finnan, b, Ricardo Rocha, b, Angelos Basinas, m, Nwankwo Kanu, a.

Stoke
Liam Lawrence, b, Salif Diao, m, Amdy Faye, m, Ricardo Fuller, a.

Sunderland
John Mensah, b, Boudewijn Zenden, m, Benjani, a.

Tottenham
Ben Alnwick, mv, Carlo Cudicini, mv, Dorian Dervite, b, Eidur Gudjohnsen, a.

West Ham
Jordan Spence, b, Luis Boa Morte, m, Mido, a, Ilan, a, Guillermo Franco, a, Zavon Hines, a.

Wigan Athletic
Richard Kingson, mv, Mike Pollitt, mv, Vladimir Stojkovic, mv, Mario Melchiot, b, Steve Gohouri, b, Ben Watson, m, Tomasz Kupiski, a.

Wolves
Marcus Hahnemann, mv, Matt Murray, mv, Jody Craddock, b, George Elokobi, b, Chris Iwelumo, a, Andy Keogh, a

ITALY

Atalanta
Andrea Consigli, mv, Maximiliano Pellegrino, b, Diego De Ascentis, m, Cristiano Doni, m, Nicola Amoruso, a.

Bari
Cristian Stellini, b.

Bologna
Roberto Colombo, mv, Salvatore Lanna, b, Cristiano Zenoni, b, Nicola Migazzini, m, Luigi Lavecchia, m, Massimo Marazzina, a, Adailton, a.

Cagliari
Cristiano Lupatelli, mv, Diego Lopez, b, Lino Marzoratti, b, Andrea Parola, m,

Catania
Mariano Izco, m.

Chievo
Lorenzo Squizzi, mv, Davide Mandelli, b, Francesco Scardina, b, Giampiero Pinzi, m, Luciano, m, Luca Rigoni, m, Erjon Bogdani, a, Elvis Abbruscato, a.

Fiorentina
Per Kroldrup, b, Massimo Gobbi, b, Mario Santana, m,

Genoa
Alessio Scarpi, mv, Ivan Juric, m, Giuseppe Sculli, a.

Inter
Paolo Orlandoni, mv.

Juventus
Antonio Chimenti, mv, Fabio Cannavaro, b.

Lazio
Sebastiano Siviglia, b, Lionel Scaloni, b, Ousmane Dabo, b, Cristian Brocchi, m, Roberto Baronio, m, Julio Cruz, a.

Livorno
Alfonso De Lucia, mv, Fabio Galante, b, Antonio Filippini, m.

Milan
Flavio Roma, mv, Dida, mv, Giuseppe Favalli, b, Filippo Inzaghi, a.

Napoli
Gennaro Iezzo, mv, Matteo Gianello, mv, Gianluca Grava, b, Inacio Pia, a.

Palermo
Giacomo Brichetto, mv, Mark Bresciano, m, Fabio Simplicio, m.

Parma
Nicola Pavarini, mv, Paolo Castellini, b, Massimo Paci, b, Damiano Zenoni, b, Martin Bergvold, m.

Roma
Artur, mv, Max Tonetto, b, Marco Cassetti, b, Taddei, m, Mauro Esposito, a, Leandro Greco, a.

Sampdoria
Luca Castellazzi, mv, Vincenzo Fiorillo, mv, Matteo Guardalben, mv, Daniele Franceschini, m, Salvatore Foti, a, Claudio Bellucci, a.

Siena
Cristian Del Grosso, b, Lukas Jarolim, m.

Udinese
Aleksandar Lukovic, b, Andrea Coda, b, Paolo Sammarco, m.

SPAIN

Almeria
Esteban Suarez, Mv, Santiago Acasiete, b, Miguel Corona, m, Fernando Soriano, m, Leonardo Borzani, m, Jose Ortiz, m, Kalu Uche, a.

Athletic
Armando Riveiro, mv, Koikili, b, Fran Yeste, m, Joseba Etxeberria, a, (slutar).

Atletico Madrid
Pablo Ibanez, b, Mariano Pernia b, Ignacio Camacho, m.

Barcelona
Inga

Deportivo
Piscu, b.

Espanyol
Javi Ruiz, mv, Ivan Pillud, b, Fernando Marques, m, Raul Tamudo, a.

Getafe
David Cortes, b, Mario Alvarez, b, David Belenguer, b,

Malaga
Francesc Arnau, mv, Gustavo Munua, mv,

Osasuna
Ricardo, mv, Josetxo, b, Ludovic Delporte, m, Walter Pandiani, a.

Racing
Jose Moraton, b, Pablo Pinillos, b, Oriol, b, Christian Fernandez, b.

Real Madrid
Jerzy Dudek, mv.

Mallorca
Julio Alvarez, m, Luis Marti, m, Gonzalo Castro, m.

Sevilla
Inga

Sporting Gijon
Gerard Autet, b, Rafael Sastre, b, Diego Camacho, m, Kike Mateo, m, Pedro Cecilia, m.

Tenerife
Jose Culebras, b,Hector Sanchez, b, Juanlu, m, Ayoze, m, Richi, m, Angel Rodriguez, a, Gaizka Saizar, a.

Valencia
Cesar Sanchez, mv, Ruben Baraja, m.

Valladolid
Luis Prieto, b, Alberto Marcos, b, Henrique Sereno, b, Borja, m, Jonathan Sesma, m, Diego Costa, a.

Villarreal
Javi Venta, b, Robert Pires, m, Ariel Ibagaza, m, David Fuster, m.

Xerez
Chema Jimenez, mv, Juan Redondo, b, Francis Perez, m, Momo, m, Abel Gomez, m, Victor Moreno, m, Emilio Viqueira, m, Carlos Calvo, m, Antonito, a, Michel, a, Mario Bermejo, a, Nicolas Vigneri, a, Matias Alustiza, a.

Zaragoza
Pablo Amo, b, Ruben Pulido, b, Edmilson, m, Peter Luccin, m.

That's a list of Bosmans from England, Italy and Spain I just read. All good and well but these players will be able to demand big wages which rules Newcastle out. Apart from Marlon Harewood.

Ben Foster to Birmingham and Jerome Boateng to City are on BBC sport too. I thought Boateng was outshone by Hamburg's left back Aogo when they played Fulham.

Lazurus
May 11th, 2010, 4:34 AM
Gudjohnsen isn't on a Bosman. He's still got 12 months on his Monaco contract.

son_of_foley
May 11th, 2010, 5:14 AM
It's indicating his contract with Spurs ends this season. Same with Benjani and Sunderland

RFF Champ
May 11th, 2010, 5:24 AM
There are some inaccuracies. I think Craddock has signed a new contract with Wolves for example.

Andy
May 11th, 2010, 6:51 AM
That Ignacio Camacho from Atletico has always been highly rated. I'd be suprised if he didn't sign a new contract or go to a big club.

Simon
May 11th, 2010, 6:53 AM
I spent a couple of minutes trying to find out who Inga was from Barca :$

Simon
May 11th, 2010, 6:54 AM
Incidentally, how the hell is Ricardo Vaz Te still at Bolton? He must have been there without playing for about three years!?

BBF
May 11th, 2010, 6:57 AM
I spent a couple of minutes trying to find out who Inga was from Barca :$

:lol: lovely.

RFF Champ
May 11th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Sunderland have signed Paraguay midfielder Christian Riveros from Cruz Azul. Is he any good on FM?

Transfer season has well and truly begun.

Andy
May 13th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Yaya Toure is almost certain to be leaving Barca in the summer. We should go all out to get him. Buffon linked too. :eek:

son_of_foley
May 13th, 2010, 12:01 PM
I guess you'll only offer him a 1 year contract though due to his age hohohoho

Alf
May 13th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Who is Inga?

Lazurus
May 13th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Alf Haaland?

UK Blue
May 13th, 2010, 4:29 PM
Stig Inga Bjornebye

Simon
May 14th, 2010, 8:12 AM
There is a rumour going around that Villa have signed David Villa for 40m Euros and are waiting until after the last game of the season to confirm it. City in for Ibrahimovic then? Also rumoured that Barca will officially move for Fabregas very soon, offering Toure as part of the deal.

Lazurus
May 14th, 2010, 8:37 AM
Sounds like bollocks to me mate.

Winkle van Tinkle
May 14th, 2010, 8:57 AM
Villa signing Villa? fuck you

Keano's Magic Hat
May 14th, 2010, 9:08 AM
That is the worst rumour ever

Darkoke
May 14th, 2010, 9:14 AM
Villa is Barca bound apparently.

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/826219-david-villa-rejects-manchester-united-transfer-to-sign-for-barcelona

Simon
May 14th, 2010, 9:21 AM
Sorry that was a typo, I meant that Barca had signed Villa :lol:

Lazurus
May 14th, 2010, 9:38 AM
Oh dear Simon. Dear oh dear.

Andy
May 14th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Yeah, lots of these Fabregas rumours flying about now. Hope not. :nono:

Winkle van Tinkle
May 14th, 2010, 11:55 AM
All based on the interview from the other day. The Sun being The Sun, left out the part where he says he is happy at Arsenal, and isn't in any hurry to leave.

If he goes, he goes. I ignore all outgoing speculation now. For 5 years Vieria was off every summer. Then the one summer that there wasn't that much speculation, he leaves. Don't get me wrong, losing him would be huge, but we'd survive.

Nasri inside, Boo Boo on the wing. HHHHHAAAAAPPPPPPPPYYYY DAAAAAAAYS!!

Oh and Henry has apparently signed a pre contract with New York Red Bulls.

MichaelC
May 14th, 2010, 12:00 PM
The Spanish press seem to believe Villa to Barca is set in stone.

There are also rumours, that excited Torn far more than were necessary, that City are lining up a bid for Angel Di Maria (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/manchester_city/article6907970.ece). That said, he might want to gear himself up for disappointment... (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1272747/Angel-di-Maria-set-disappoint-Manchester-City-winger-closes-Real-Madrid-move.html)

Torn
May 14th, 2010, 12:06 PM
He better come to the Premiership.

El Capitano Gatisto
May 14th, 2010, 12:09 PM
All based on the interview from the other day. The Sun being The Sun, left out the part where he says he is happy at Arsenal, and isn't in any hurry to leave.

If he goes, he goes. I ignore all outgoing speculation now. For 5 years Vieria was off every summer. Then the one summer that there wasn't that much speculation, he leaves. Don't get me wrong, losing him would be huge, but we'd survive.

Nasri inside, Boo Boo on the wing. HHHHHAAAAAPPPPPPPPYYYY DAAAAAAAYS!!

Oh and Henry has apparently signed a pre contract with New York Red Bulls.

Yeah I read the Fabregas interview, he said pretty clearly he would play for Barca some day, they are the only club he would leave Arsenal for, but he was in no hurry. He also said he doesn't think Barca want or need him right now, and that he had spoken to no presidential candidates nor did he feel they were using him for political gain. It's all a load of boring bollocks. Even when Fabregas comes out and says all this, papers still print the rumours. Very boring stuff listening to this every summer.

Simon
May 14th, 2010, 12:48 PM
I'd love it if he skanked them by leaving on a Bosman. He wouldn't get in their side at the moment anyway, although it would be good seeing him in the side ahead of Keita or Toure just to see Barca get 95% possession stats.

El Capitano Gatisto
May 14th, 2010, 1:06 PM
Didn't he sign a 14 year contract or something like that a while back? He'll probably stay as long as Arsene does.

RFF Champ
May 14th, 2010, 1:09 PM
Hughton's trying to get Jack Wilshere on loan APPAZ. So Fabregas better stick around so Wilshere is allowed out for the season. Got to be a better option than Alan Smith.

Winkle van Tinkle
May 14th, 2010, 1:12 PM
I wouldn't mind...we'd get another 4 years out of him.

Edit: Fabregas that is. Runs out 2014.

Simon
May 14th, 2010, 1:21 PM
To be honest I dunno if he is irreplaceable anyway, Ramsey is a more than capable replacement, they won't get someone better but if they spend the money they get for him well they could be a better team for it.

Andy
May 14th, 2010, 8:04 PM
Of course Fabregas would get in the current Barca side.

Ramsey looks a very exciting player, probably the closest I've seen to Fabregas, but he's nowhere near ready to step up. It's actually been a massive disappointment that Nasri has been shit in the middle. Incidentally, why on earth is Diaby in the France squad with Nasri not even in the provisional? Madness.

Simon
May 14th, 2010, 9:19 PM
So would he "of course" get in the side ahead of Xavi or Iniesta?

UK Blue
May 14th, 2010, 9:20 PM
As well as.

Simon
May 14th, 2010, 9:24 PM
So Barca would abandon the setup that has served them so well with an anchor (Keita/Toure/Busquets) sitting behind two creators? Seems unlikely. When they do sign him it will most likely be when Xavi is on his last legs.

UK Blue
May 14th, 2010, 9:39 PM
Iniesta could play further up, like he has on many occasions.

Gary J
May 15th, 2010, 12:20 AM
If Fabregas does go to Barcelona this summer of course he's going to get in the team. I doubt Barcelona are going to spend whatever fee (at least £30m i would guess) it takes to get him to never play him.

I doubt he goes anyway like has been mentioned this rumor never goes away and he did say he was in no rush to leave Arsenal.

Andy
May 15th, 2010, 9:38 AM
Iniesta could play further up, like he has on many occasions.

Yep.

Simon
May 15th, 2010, 9:52 AM
Yeah I imagine the plan is to alter the tactics that have served them so well. Iniesta very rarely plays there. Fabregas won't be bought until they need him, and right now they don't need him.

Andy
May 15th, 2010, 9:56 AM
I agree, but if they bought him he would get in their side. Iniesta has been out for large parts of this season but he often played there last season. The talk was that if Guardiola had gotten rid of Eto'o as he'd wanted to in his first season, Henry would've played through the middle with Iniesta and Messi on the flanks.

El Capitano Gatisto
May 16th, 2010, 7:51 AM
If Barca have signed Villa as appears to be the talk, there's no way they have the money to sign Fabregas as well. They're in mountains of debt and they spent piles of money on Chyrgynskiy and Ibrahimovic, two signings which didn't exactly work out very well.

Simon
May 16th, 2010, 8:00 AM
I agree, but if they bought him he would get in their side. Iniesta has been out for large parts of this season but he often played there last season. The talk was that if Guardiola had gotten rid of Eto'o as he'd wanted to in his first season, Henry would've played through the middle with Iniesta and Messi on the flanks.

In fairness to your POV they might try and squeeze him into the side if they bought him, if only to justify the huge expense. Whichever president shells out for him will demand he plays as well. But you are as mad as a box of monkeys if you think he would displace either Iniesta or Xavi. They may try to squeeze the three into the same side, but he certainly wouldn't play at the expense of either of them either being out of the side or moved to a different position. Pedro is better in the forward position than Iniesta is, and Iniesta is better in the midfield position than Fabregas.

Simon
May 16th, 2010, 8:01 AM
I can't wait to see Villa playing for Barcelona. There doesn't seem to be any logical way that he won't score 80 goals next season. Injury maybe.

MichaelC
May 16th, 2010, 8:04 AM
Injury free, he'd get about the same amount that Etoo did in a motivated season.

da_man
May 16th, 2010, 8:30 AM
Rovers linked this morning with Guti and Raul.

The Guti rumour has been around for a few months and would appear to have a bit more substance than the Raul talk. Hopefully Salgado can have a word and get them to Ewood.

Andy
May 16th, 2010, 8:53 AM
I'd love that. Get Bobby Carlos in too.

MMH
May 16th, 2010, 9:03 AM
Guti has been linked to an English move for years now. That cold happen.

Raul though? Why?

Simon
May 16th, 2010, 9:07 AM
Imagine spending twenty years at Real and then moving to Blackburn haha.

Andy
May 16th, 2010, 9:09 AM
He'd be better off going to Blackburn than some shit American team. Still can believe Henry is going to America either, he's got at least 2 years at a top level in him.

MichaelC
May 16th, 2010, 9:12 AM
He'd be better off going to Blackburn than some shit American team. Still can believe Henry is going to America either, he's got at least 2 years at a top level in him.

The MLS is the new SPL, clearly. :lol:

Simon
May 16th, 2010, 9:17 AM
Henry has always said he wanted to move to America. It's the same as the Beckham move, it's about more than just football. Henry has already achieved everything there is to achieve in the game, fair play to him if he wants to do something to improve AND get paid shitloads of money for an easy life.

da_man
May 16th, 2010, 9:17 AM
Imagine spending twenty years at Real and then moving to Blackburn haha.

It seems daft on paper but Salgado commented on it during the week...

....Meanwhile, Michel Salgado insists he would recommend Blackburn to any other Spanish player thinking of moving to England.

The veteran full-back moved to Rovers after a decade with Real Madrid and although he only started just under half his club's Barclays Premier League games in the 2009-10 season, he would not hesitate to encourage fellow Spaniards from following in his footsteps.

He told www.rovers.co.uk: "I can advise players from Spain to come here and to enjoy a different league with a good style of life, a good private life for players, much different from Spain.

"You can work easily here at the training ground with no distractions, it is a professional environment.

"Maybe we can sign a player for the next season, I don't know."

Darkoke
May 16th, 2010, 9:44 AM
It's an interview for the club website, he's hardly going to be disparaging about it.

da_man
May 16th, 2010, 9:59 AM
No, but that is our selling point - a club to come and play football, in a professional environment with no undue pressure.

You only have to look at the number of players who have come into our club with baggage or having lost their way, concentrated on just playing football and then moving on for big bucks - Bentley, Warnock, Santa Cruz, Bellamy.

Darkoke
May 16th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Big difference between the likes of those you listed and Raul.

Simon
May 16th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Worth remembering that Raul is finished at Madrid.

turdpower
May 16th, 2010, 12:08 PM
If you read Salgado's quotes without thinking about the fact it's on a Blackburn website, he seems to be talking generally about the league rather than Blackburn themselves.

"I can advise players from Spain to come here and to enjoy a different league with a good style of life, a good private life for players, much different from Spain."

This, like.

Ringo
May 18th, 2010, 7:01 AM
"Barca close on Villa & Cesc"

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11670_6160585,00.html

Simon
May 18th, 2010, 7:04 AM
:fingersx:

Winkle van Tinkle
May 18th, 2010, 8:33 AM
We should ask for £50m + Xavi and Guardiola

We will get £8m + Hleb.

I don't think he'll go. I reckon he'll sign a new contract at Arsenal in the next 2 weeks :shifty:

Andy
May 18th, 2010, 9:43 AM
Don't go. :(

I still can't see him going this summer, these rumours are depressing though.

Simon
May 18th, 2010, 11:36 AM
http://i39.tinypic.com/nx0tqg.jpg

MichaelC
May 18th, 2010, 11:41 AM
It's in the Guardian too.

Fabregas wants to leave (http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/may/18/cesc-fabregas-arsenal-barcelona-transfer)

Simon
May 18th, 2010, 11:42 AM
YIPPEE! (if true)

turdpower
May 18th, 2010, 12:06 PM
30m is being said. Surely he's worth more than that.

son_of_foley
May 18th, 2010, 12:09 PM
He would be worth 60-65 going by the Ronaldo price and the touted Ribery price.

El Capitano Gatisto
May 18th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Where the fuck are Barcelona getting the 100 odd million squid they'd need to sign both Fabregas and Villa? The way Barca and Real shell out endless amounts of cash is basically cheating, no other clubs can compete with it because actual laws apply to them.

turdpower
May 18th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Makes you wonder if City are gonna come in with stupid money. They might as well.

Andy
May 18th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Oh my goodness I'm going to cry. I might kill if we only get £30m out of it.

Andy
May 18th, 2010, 12:31 PM
If it's true. :happysad:

Simon
May 18th, 2010, 12:35 PM
He would be worth 60-65 going by the Ronaldo price and the touted Ribery price.

£40-45m tops. Ronaldo was the best player in the world, a marquee signing and a genuine, regular matchwinner. Fabregas is a very good team player, one of the best midfielders in the world but not in the same bracket as Ronaldo by any means, nor Kaka despite him flopping this season.

Andy
May 18th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Fabregas is in the top 10, if not top 5 in the world based on the last couple of seasons. If Joleon Lescott is worth £25m, Fabregas is worth at least £50m.

Simon
May 18th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Players who are better than Fabregas, off the top of my head.

Leo Messi
Cristiano Ronaldo
Kaka
Didier Drogba
David Villa
Fernando Torres
Samuel Eto'o
Andres Iniesta
Xavi
Wayne Rooney
Frank Lampard
Wesley Sneijder

That's only including midfielders and strikers as well, as they are likely to be more valuable than goalkeepers and defenders.

Fabregas is a great player and is worth a huge amount of money, but he is simply not one of the top ten footballers in the world, let alone one of the top five. He just about makes into the top five Spanish midfielders, for God's sake.

Also, I wish people would stop using the Lescott example as proof of players' value. It is universally accepted that it was an idiotic price for an average player, pretending this isn't the case to inflate the hypothetical value of another player will fool no one. A more relevant fee would be the £15m Inter paid for Sneijder, or perhaps the £27m Madrid paid for him in 2007.

MMH
May 18th, 2010, 2:19 PM
Its debatable if is he is in the top five players in the Premier League.

El Capitano Gatisto
May 18th, 2010, 2:24 PM
Fabregas is a great player. He's 23, his type of player matures later too. Not like Ronaldo or Rooney, whose influence will probably wane as their physical peak passes them by. Fabregas is one of the top players in the Premier League, easily. Trying to rank them objectively or compare midfielders to strikers is difficult but he's certainly on the level of Lampard and Rooney. Better footballer than either without question.

He's as good or better than Sneijder, will be as good as Xavi and Iniesta. Let's not be silly here, he's an absolutely fantastic footballer who Arsenal have tied down for a long time, has his best years ahead of him and has been improving season after season. He's worth a shitload of money.

Simon
May 18th, 2010, 2:44 PM
Can't see him being as good as Xavi or Iniesta. Possible I guess but those two are unbelievable.

Matt E
May 18th, 2010, 2:45 PM
Its debatable if is he is in the top five players in the Premier League.

I don't think it's debatable at all really, he's right up there with the best and only just behind Drogba and Rooney on performances this season imo.

£50m wouldn't be outlandish at all, he's a virtually ready made replacement for what would otherwise be an exceptionally difficult position to fill, capable of playing for another decade with no real worries about settling in. Barca would be laughing their tits off if they got him for £30m.

Andy
May 18th, 2010, 2:49 PM
You're clutching at straws if you think Sneijder and Eto'o are currently better players than Fabregas. He is only outside of the top 5 in Spain because of the set up. He is better than Silva and Alonso but Spain are actually sensible in the way they set up their team. The only midfielders in the world that are better than him are Xavi and Iniesta.

El Capitano Gatisto
Can't see him being as good as Xavi or Iniesta. Possible I guess but those two are unbelievable.

Of course he can. You probably hadn't even heard of Xavi when he was 23. If you had, you'd know he certainly wasn't the player he is now. Fabregas is Xavi's living heir, except athletically he's probably a bit bigger and quicker, and more of a goal threat if this season is anything to go by (15 league goals in 27 games for fuck's sake).

What's more, if Fabregas leaves it has an enormous impact on Arsenal's squad as a whole. The players there will be wondering about the clubs future. The players they want to sign will wonder why they should bother. Only a fucking monstrous fee could offset the loss Fabregas leaving this summer would be. Arsenal know it's going to happen some day but I would guess they were thinking he'd give it another couple of seasons to see what he could win with them first.

Simon
He is the third best midfielder in the world and in the top five footballers in the world. OK.

Andy
May 18th, 2010, 2:50 PM
I know this is all speculation at present but how on earth can we even be considering letting him go for £30m, whether we get Toure or not? Obscene.

El Capitano Gatisto
May 18th, 2010, 2:54 PM
He is the third best midfielder in the world and in the top five footballers in the world. OK.

He is easily one of the world's top midfielders already and he's (considerably) younger than all of the other candidates for that tag.

Iniesta had a shite season this year, by the way, injuries or not, and will be lucky if he starts for Spain this summer.

El Capitano Gatisto
May 18th, 2010, 2:58 PM
Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Fabregas' role for Spain may be pushing him to move, he would probably move up in stature for the national team if he played in La Liga.

Andy
May 18th, 2010, 3:20 PM
Guys I don't know what to believe or who to turn to. :cry:

BBF
May 18th, 2010, 3:21 PM
Ray Parlour, mate.

Andy
May 18th, 2010, 3:25 PM
I bloody loved Ray.

Change of formation next season perhaps? 2 holding midfielders, Chamakh up top and Arshavin, Nasri and RVP supporting.

El Capitano Gatisto
May 18th, 2010, 3:27 PM
The only actual quotes from anyone are Fabregas' interview from last week and Laporta's reaction to it.

Winkle van Tinkle
May 18th, 2010, 4:52 PM
I still don't believe it just yet. The noises i've heard (for what they're worth) is that Fabregas will sign a new contract at Arsenal in the next week or two.

Simon, don't be an utter pleb. The players you named on the past page are silly. Fabregas is 23. He has 10 years, at least left in him. He has a contract for four of those. Plus Laporta will pay silly money as the only reason he wants Villa and Fabregas is to spite the new president coming in. Thats why he is worth so much.

Simon
May 18th, 2010, 5:27 PM
The issue about his cost and the comparison to those players were different discussions, only partly related. He will not cost £50m and he is not one of the best 10 players in the world.

Winkle van Tinkle
May 18th, 2010, 5:55 PM
So potential isn't factored into a transfer fee, no?

Simon
May 18th, 2010, 5:58 PM
WTF I just said they were two discussions. My opinions were:

1) Fabregas is not worth, and will not cost, £50m.
2) Fabregas is not one of the best ten players in the world.

Of course potential is factored into transfer fees. So are a lot of other things which have led to genuine superstars like Ronaldo, Kaka and Zidane costing so much. Fabregas is not on their level, and will not cost anywhere near as much. I'm not sure why you're taking this as a criticism, I'm happy to believe he could go for as much as £40-45m, which would be the fourth highest transfer fee of all time.

Winkle van Tinkle
May 18th, 2010, 6:06 PM
The reason he wont go for £50m is because Wenger has (imo a shit) policy of not standing in a players way.

If Villa is going for £39m, then Fabregas should go for more than that based on age, time on contract, and the selling clubs financial situation (Valencia are in no position to play hardball; 21m euros of the fee will go straight to one individual businessman one who they owe).

Ringo
May 18th, 2010, 10:35 PM
What the fuck is the Barca team going to be if they did get Fabregas and Villa? Mental. I'm guessing Zlatan would have to go and Iniesta would have to really work to get his place back from Pedro with the way things were last season. Once he's fit though... somebody would be missing out.

Andy
May 18th, 2010, 11:14 PM
Barca could potentially have by far the best team in the world, in addition to a bench of Ibrahimovic, Pedro, Bojan, Milito, Keita, Abidal. Fucking hell.

jesus sucks
May 19th, 2010, 12:24 AM
to be fair i don't like arsenal, i don't arsenal fans, i don't like fabregas, and i hope he goes. but he's worth more than 30m. to try and say otherwise is just a lie really.

you can see Barca's reasoning in not wanting to pay more. they developed the player for 7 years. arsenal developed him for 7 years. the player wants to go and has told Wenger he wants to go. so you can see why they are refusing to pay 50.

turdpower
May 19th, 2010, 2:08 AM
How long is left to run on his contract? Would Wenger turn down 30m? Because surely he should.

son_of_foley
May 19th, 2010, 3:37 AM
Also, I wish people would stop using the Lescott example as proof of players' value. It is universally accepted that it was an idiotic price for an average player, pretending this isn't the case to inflate the hypothetical value of another player will fool no one. A more relevant fee would be the £15m Inter paid for Sneijder, or perhaps the £27m Madrid paid for him in 2007.

The 15m Inter paid is in no way relevent. He was being shoved out the fucking door after massive signings aplenty for Real. Fabregas is Captain and has 4 more years left on his contract there's no pressure to move him out.

27m Euros in 2007 was to Ajax. He hadn't proven himself at the levels Fabregas had and Ajax had a lot more need to sell than Arsenal had.

Ribery is touted at times to be a 40m player and has done less and has less to offer than Fabregas.

Arsenal would be mad to sell less than 50m.

Simon
May 19th, 2010, 4:38 AM
I was making a point that the 15m Inter paid was MORE relevant than the Lescott fee while still being an unusual figure for a player of that class. Neither are indicative of what you would expect their market value to be.

He will go for 45m or less IMO. Who has been quoting 30m, is that the media's proposed fee?

son_of_foley
May 19th, 2010, 4:41 AM
That's what the media are touting as Barcas upper limit in terms of cash flow. It would be horrendous negotiating from Arsenal

Simon
May 19th, 2010, 4:42 AM
Peter Hill-Wood has come out this morning saying they have no intention of selling him, so there's still hope for Arsenal. It wouldn't be a surprise if there was some kind of deal in place like with Ronaldo - stay with us for another year and we won't stand in your way after that. Then again maybe that deal has been in place since last year :chin:

I bet Wenger wrings another year out of him and sells him just as he starts going downhill. Dunno why he would start going downhill at 24 but it worked with Henry and Vieira :D

Simon
May 19th, 2010, 4:45 AM
That's what the media are touting as Barcas upper limit in terms of cash flow. It would be horrendous negotiating from Arsenal

You never know, Barca might have some right to buy him back from when they let him go. Didn't they do something similar with Pique? Maybe I'm remembering that wrong.

Both parties are in pretty strong positions here so it will be interesting to see what happens, it will all hinge on how badly Fabregas wants to get out. Arsenal have no need to sell and have him tied down to a long contract, but Barcelona have the draw of being 'his' club and being the best team in the world.

I'd expect to see a domino effect of major transfers if Fabs and Villa do both go to Barca, as they can't afford both and would need to offload some top players. Ibrahimovic and Toure would be the most obvious two. Ibra to City maybe?

Gangers
May 19th, 2010, 4:58 AM
Peter Hill-Wood has come out this morning saying they have no intention of selling him, so there's still hope for Arsenal.

Fucking hell, that seals it then.

Has there ever been a huge transfer that wasn't preceded by the selling club's chairman/manager saying 'OVER MY DEAD BODY'.

turdpower
May 19th, 2010, 5:20 AM
"I wouldn't sell them a virus" springs to mind.

:(

da_man
May 19th, 2010, 6:44 AM
David Villa done - €40m according to SSN.

El Capitano Gatisto
May 19th, 2010, 6:57 AM
If that's true then fucking hell. Barcelona will be even better to watch next season. I don't think Villa is rated by the general public and media here as highly as he should be. I think he's a better player than Torres, people often make the mistake of assuming Torres is more important to Spain for example. Playing for Barcelona now may see him recognised as possibly the world's best striker right now.

Ringo
May 19th, 2010, 7:32 AM
Yep, it's on the official site now.

http://www.fcbarcelona.com/web/english/noticies/destacades/n100519111099.html

Wow.

Bluemoon
May 19th, 2010, 7:54 AM
Hopefully Valencia buy Adebayor of us now.

El Capitano Gatisto
May 19th, 2010, 7:59 AM
With what?

Andy
May 19th, 2010, 8:14 AM
We've had no approach apparently, official or unofficial.

Simon
May 19th, 2010, 12:31 PM
SOF, these two better be fucking quality if they are going to justify you purchasing a pair of such utterly despicable looking cunts :D

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/47876000/jpg/_47876951_ramssplit.jpg

Bluemoon
May 19th, 2010, 2:53 PM
With what?

My wishful thinking.

How bad are they in debt?

da_man
May 19th, 2010, 4:11 PM
SSN: Citeh have bid £20m for James Milner.

Chris Scott
May 19th, 2010, 4:18 PM
:eek: :lol:

RuneEdge
May 19th, 2010, 4:48 PM
I honestly thought they were gonna go in with a bid closer to around £27m. So £20m doesnt sound so bad knowing it's City.

Bluemoon
May 19th, 2010, 5:54 PM
Should have went for Milner last season instead of Barry, can't see Villa agreeing to sell for £20M, Maybe £25M.

Can't see him wanting to leave really, if he comes to us I will be surprised. Lets see if he's loyal or if money talks.

Winkle van Tinkle
May 19th, 2010, 6:03 PM
Hopefully Valencia buy Adebayor of us now.

Haha, they haven't got a pot to piss in. Half of that money has already been claimed by one guy who lent Valencia money. The whole 40mil will just be swallowed up with debt, although their situation is getting slightly better.

El Capitano Gatisto
May 19th, 2010, 7:57 PM
Milner bid rejected.

Simon
May 20th, 2010, 4:23 AM
Villa will accept eventually as City's bids rise. I just hope Milner isn't interested.

RFF Champ
May 20th, 2010, 4:29 AM
I can't see him going for it unless the higher ups at Villa push him out.

son_of_foley
May 20th, 2010, 4:33 AM
SOF, these two better be fucking quality if they are going to justify you purchasing a pair of such utterly despicable looking cunts :D

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/47876000/jpg/_47876951_ramssplit.jpg

They look like they should be in your circle of friends mate.

Bailey is a dirty ginger. I'm sick of the sight of them

da_man
May 20th, 2010, 5:59 AM
This is from my perspective as a fan of a selling club but Milner has a had a great season, possibly the best season he may have in his career. I would sell now while he's at the top of his value.

Get Citeh to give them £25m plus Stephen Ireland and Villa should bite their hand off.

Just another thought, a club like Rovers should offer a cheeky couple of million for Michael Johnson. Still potentially a top footballer there.

son_of_foley
May 20th, 2010, 6:03 AM
Yep Johnson still has masses of potential

BBF
May 20th, 2010, 6:05 AM
If he sorts his problems out Johnson can be a top top player. He showed it a couple of season ago.

And yeah I agree with da_man. Get £25m and Ireland/Richards/Wright-Phillips and Villa should be laughing.

BBF
May 20th, 2010, 6:06 AM
Fuck it, get Onouha and I'd take the £25m too.

da_man
May 20th, 2010, 6:08 AM
O'Neill likes a big man - take Roque Santa Cruz off their hands too.

The Rosk
May 20th, 2010, 7:05 AM
At this moment I would take £25 million, SWP and Ireland and Richards for James Milner. That is the least we should expect considering he is the best young player in the country(official).

I am worried that we could do an Ashley Young here. By all accounts we turned down a £28million bid for him last year. What if he goes poo?

HE WON'T BUT YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN

RFF Champ
May 20th, 2010, 7:23 AM
Ashley Young got a bid of £28mil? Maybe on Championship Manager.

The Rosk
May 20th, 2010, 7:32 AM
Us spending £12million on Downing means Young is worth £70million.

Chris Scott
May 20th, 2010, 7:37 AM
I can't see him going for it unless the higher ups at Villa push him out.

Exactly, I can't see him wanting to leave anytime soon.

Winkle van Tinkle
May 20th, 2010, 7:42 AM
Yep Johnson still has masses of potential

Just a pity that he has a massive drink problem.

Chris Scott
May 20th, 2010, 7:49 AM
Gambling too I think.

1_Pablo_Angel
May 20th, 2010, 7:49 AM
Appaz Milner has said he will leave it in the hands of the club and won't be agitating for a move.

No idea whether there's any truth in that but it's consistent with his behaviour so far in his career.

Obviously, we could rape City for about 3 times what he's actually worth. Unfortunately I wouldn't trust MON to reinvest the money wisely, and clubs will try and take the piss out of us if they know we've got a ton of cash sitting in the bank. So a ridiculous player swap deal is the only way I'd like to see him leave. And I love him, and he'll only improve, so it'd have to be a RIDICULOUS player swap. Bellamy + Onuoha + Ireland + £10m for instance.

Chris Scott
May 20th, 2010, 7:54 AM
Would most Villa fans not trust O'Neil to reinvest?

1_Pablo_Angel
May 20th, 2010, 8:00 AM
Wouldn't have thought so. Certainly not the ones I speak to.

Let's say we got £35m. We wouldn't be able to go out and buy a genuinely world class striker because we can't offer CL and wouldn't want to smash our wage structure. We wouldn't go out and buy a couple of technically gifted, potential superstars in the 8-12m bracket from abroad because O'Neill is afraid of crossing any stretch of water bar the Irish sea. So we'd probably get someone like Zamora, at a massively inflated price, who'd be good for us but not do anything to kick us on. And another limited midfielder like Sidders and Reo Coker. Why bother?

Simon
May 20th, 2010, 8:11 AM
If Milner goes, I would fully expect you to come in for Jenas.

The Rosk
May 20th, 2010, 8:32 AM
Jesus Christ. I want to vomit right now.

Winkle van Tinkle
May 20th, 2010, 8:59 AM
:lol: AT VILLA LOSING THEIR BEST MIDFIELDER. GUTTED. :lol:

The Rosk
May 20th, 2010, 9:02 AM
What have you read Steve please mate we are mates and I don't want us to stop being mates but if you have read something about Milner going I want you to tell me please mate I hope Cesc stays mate

Winkle van Tinkle
May 20th, 2010, 9:20 AM
VILLA LETTING THEIR BEST YOUNG TALENT GO :lol: SMALL CLUB

Winkle van Tinkle
May 20th, 2010, 9:22 AM
Happarently Villa said they want £30m. Probably get £25m.

He will go.

A shame, as I like him.

Winkle van Tinkle
May 20th, 2010, 9:31 AM
I have a friend in the middle east who sent me this. Probably not genuine.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f243/kid_villain/milner.jpg

The Rosk
May 20th, 2010, 10:29 AM
If Milner goes to Man City I think a little part of my heart would break. I mean that. It would complete the hat-trick of footballers to break my heart. First Yorkie. Then Garry Barry (although not as badly). And then Jimmy. But to a dirty club that wouldn't deserve a player of his ethics and beauty. It would kill me lads. I don't think I could take it.

I would, if I had a choice, love him to go to United and become the player I know he can be, if we don't push on from here. I actually do love him that much.

Winkle van Tinkle
May 20th, 2010, 11:05 AM
You're a selling club that can't hang onto their best talent. You buy them young, they get good, and then want to leave. Come and support Arsenal, your local team.

The Rosk
May 20th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Anelka, Vieira, Henry, Fabregas. Probably RVP next.

MMH
May 20th, 2010, 11:10 AM
You're a selling club that can't hang onto their best talent. You buy them young, they get good, and then want to leave. Come and support Arsenal, your local team.

Isnt that what your club is doing?

Unless you are being facetious on purpose, in which case ignore me :yes:

The Rosk
May 20th, 2010, 11:15 AM
YouTube- James Milner Goal (LEEDS vs CHELSEA)

Eight years ago ffs. I LOVE HIM!

Chris Scott
May 20th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Why can't City buy Gerrard from us instead.

The Rosk
May 20th, 2010, 11:27 AM
hAHA i WOULD LOVE THAT.

Winkle van Tinkle
May 20th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Anelka, Vieira, Henry, Fabregas. Probably RVP next.

GOBBLEGOBBLEGOBBLEONTHATBAITYOUCUNTRARRRGH

Bluemoon
May 20th, 2010, 5:40 PM
If Milner goes to Man City I think a little part of my heart would break. I mean that. It would complete the hat-trick of footballers to break my heart. First Yorkie. Then Garry Barry (although not as badly). And then Jimmy. But to a dirty club that wouldn't deserve a player of his ethics and beauty. It would kill me lads. I don't think I could take it.

I would, if I had a choice, love him to go to United and become the player I know he can be, if we don't push on from here. I actually do love him that much.

How are we a dirty club who don't deserve someone like Milner? I mean honestly why all the hate for City lately?

Bluemoon
May 20th, 2010, 5:42 PM
Why can't City buy Gerrard from us instead.

Gerrard behind Tevez with Milner and De Jong/Barry in the middle, Johnson on the left/right and some other class winger :drool:

Bluemoon
May 20th, 2010, 5:45 PM
Appaz Milner has said he will leave it in the hands of the club and won't be agitating for a move.

No idea whether there's any truth in that but it's consistent with his behaviour so far in his career.

Obviously, we could rape City for about 3 times what he's actually worth. Unfortunately I wouldn't trust MON to reinvest the money wisely, and clubs will try and take the piss out of us if they know we've got a ton of cash sitting in the bank. So a ridiculous player swap deal is the only way I'd like to see him leave. And I love him, and he'll only improve, so it'd have to be a RIDICULOUS player swap. Bellamy + Onuoha + Ireland + £10m for instance.

I don't think we will offer more then 25M, so money + swap is looking the likely outcome.

I can see Ireland, Onuoha or Santa Cruz being involved.

Mik
May 20th, 2010, 5:54 PM
Money + Cash = $$$.

Bluemoon
May 20th, 2010, 5:56 PM
Ah, I meant swap.

RFF Champ
May 21st, 2010, 4:16 AM
Newcastle have been linked to Jermaine Jenas by the Sun for £5mil today.

I can't see any signings anytime soon after Ashley said 'There is no plan for new capital outlay on players.' last week. Probably a blessing when we're linked to Jenas.

son_of_foley
May 21st, 2010, 4:18 AM
Larson and Senderos I would reckon

RFF Champ
May 21st, 2010, 4:25 AM
The squad has quality in it so I think we can survive without doing too much business. The midfield is good and players like Guthrie have come along a lot in the last year.

Enrique is a Prem left back, he really is class. Colo looked good in the Championship, hopefully he can impress in the Premier League this time around. Taylor's situation is interesting because I think Hughton is a big fan of Carroll and I imagine Ashley is already picturing selling him next season, I hope Taylor sticks around though.

The only place I think we will struggle is up front, I can't see where the goals are going to come from. Ameobi is pants and Carroll probably won't score with as much freedom, nor Lovenkrands.

The Rosk
May 21st, 2010, 4:26 AM
How are we a dirty club who don't deserve someone like Milner? I mean honestly why all the hate for City lately?

Just nothing but money. Team full of mercenaries etc. Milner is a young hope, a bright light in a world of swindling cunts.

Alf
May 21st, 2010, 5:53 AM
I just don't see how Milner stacks up with City's BIGGEST TEAM IN THE WORLD NEXT YEAR LADS ambitions.

Perhaps they are grabbing English players due to those rules coming in.

Simon
May 21st, 2010, 5:57 AM
Na I think he is exactly the kind of solid, hard-working player a top team needs at their heart. Fletcher, Essien, Mascherano...I think he can be as good as those players. Obviously without a genuine class act to create things you're not going to get far, but Milner is a great addition to the side. They just need a really top class striker.

El Capitano Gatisto
May 21st, 2010, 6:06 AM
He's had one good season as a central midfielder, it's a bit much to say he'll be as good as Essien or Mascherano for fuck's sake. City already have defensive midfielders by the bucket-load, what they need is an overhaul of their forwards and defence. Buying up ordinary, over-priced Premier League players every summer won't move them on.

The Rosk
May 21st, 2010, 6:16 AM
He's had one good season as a central midfielder, it's a bit much to say he'll be as good as Essien or Mascherano for fuck's sake. City already have defensive midfielders by the bucket-load, what they need is an overhaul of their forwards and defence. Buying up ordinary, over-priced Premier League players every summer won't move them on.

*half a season

Brennino
May 21st, 2010, 7:13 AM
To be fair he has had more than one good season, this has just been an above standards season.
It would honestly call into question the whole notion of 'supporting' a team if Milner decides to fuck off to City for me. That's how pissed off such a thing would make me and as Cuncha said it would underline and highlight what Villa are in reality i.e. a small time selling club.

son_of_foley
May 21st, 2010, 7:16 AM
He's saying 1 good season in the centre, has he not been on the wing previously

The Rosk
May 21st, 2010, 7:17 AM
Exactly. I don't know how I can carry on supporting a club if we are just going to continually sell off our prize assets to the highest bidder, and replace them with players like Stewart Downing.

Mik
May 21st, 2010, 7:24 AM
The squad has quality in it so I think we can survive without doing too much business. The midfield is good and players like Guthrie have come along a lot in the last year.

Enrique is a Prem left back, he really is class. Colo looked good in the Championship, hopefully he can impress in the Premier League this time around. Taylor's situation is interesting because I think Hughton is a big fan of Carroll and I imagine Ashley is already picturing selling him next season, I hope Taylor sticks around though.

The only place I think we will struggle is up front, I can't see where the goals are going to come from. Ameobi is pants and Carroll probably won't score with as much freedom, nor Lovenkrands.

Eh? The team is worse than the team that completely capitulated to take you down. Its full of Championship quality players as judged by the fact that your points total did not reflect your performances. Most even delusional Newcastle fans I know would happily admit that they fluked their way to many points that they didnt deserve last season and that they wont be so lucky in the Premiership where you pay for your mistakes. Dont kids yourself, Newcastle have to spend considerably and wisely to prosper in the Premiership next season. I'd rank them as one of the favourites to get relegated as squad quality stands at the moment.

The Rosk
May 21st, 2010, 7:25 AM
Oh God just heard that Villa are bidding £15million for Carlton Cole I mean Jesus fucking Christ that's it I am not looking at anymore cunting fucking cunting twatty rumours

El Capitano Gatisto
May 21st, 2010, 7:26 AM
Milner is not a £20-25 million winger. I don't think he's worth that after one season in central midfield either. It wouldn't be so bad for Villa were it not for the absolute certainty that MON would not use the money wisely to improve the team. He's not going to try out a good player from Europe, he's going to spend it on 3 or 4 distinctly average players playing in England.

The Rosk
May 21st, 2010, 7:29 AM
Players we would get for the £25 million touted for Milner:

David Wheater - £9 million
Kevin Kilbane - £4 million
Carlton Cole - £12 million

da_man
May 21st, 2010, 7:45 AM
O'Neill Shopping List:

Kevin Nolan - £4m
Jonathan Greening - £3m
George McCartney - £6m
Chris Baird - £3m
Kenwynne Jones - £25m

Simon
May 21st, 2010, 8:02 AM
Why won't you all listen, he will DEFINITELY buy Jermaine Jenas. No one will even realise the transfer has gone through until he scores a goal in a drab end of season affair at home to Bolton to confirm eighth place.

RFF Champ
May 21st, 2010, 8:04 AM
Eh? The team is worse than the team that completely capitulated to take you down. Its full of Championship quality players as judged by the fact that your points total did not reflect your performances. Most even delusional Newcastle fans I know would happily admit that they fluked their way to many points that they didnt deserve last season and that they wont be so lucky in the Premiership where you pay for your mistakes. Dont kids yourself, Newcastle have to spend considerably and wisely to prosper in the Premiership next season. I'd rank them as one of the favourites to get relegated as squad quality stands at the moment.

Say what you will about Nolan but behind the striker he is effective and drives the team forward. Guthrie has always been a talented midfielder and has started adding some consistency to his game. Gutierrez has improved his final ball and has always been good at running at his man. Then there's the combative midfielder which is either Alan Smith or Joey Barton who both play their role, Barton much better than Smith.

Steven Taylor has been playing Premier League football for years and Coloccini must improve from where he was last year. Enrique is quality. Then there's Williamson, Simpson etc.

I genuinely feel all we lack to have a decent shot at survival is a striker. You're obviously as biased as I am Mik because you've always tried to take shots where you can. West Brom will go back down, then Blackpool/Cardiff. We have as good a shot as anyone to stay up without massive amounts of money.

Simon
May 21st, 2010, 8:06 AM
Looking at your squad there is no reason whatsoever to think you would stay up without a lot of investment.

RFF Champ
May 21st, 2010, 8:13 AM
Looking at your squad there is no reason whatsoever to think you would stay up without a lot of investment.

I disagree. It needs some investment but by no means does it need 'a lot of investment'.

I'm perfectly happy with the midfield. We need a striker who scores goals, Carroll is capable of playing first choice and being effective.

Ideally we'd buy some more defenders but the defence isn't catastrophic. The squad is largely the same as that which was not going down under Joe Kinnear so with consistency we can make a good go of it.

Many of these players have Premier League experience.

Brennino
May 21st, 2010, 8:19 AM
O'Neill's shopping list:

Ashley Young £8 million.
James Milner £12 million.

I am not having a Blackburn fan jibe at our transfer policy.

turdpower
May 21st, 2010, 8:25 AM
Be a waste of time buying players he already owns.

Simon
May 21st, 2010, 8:27 AM
I disagree. It needs some investment but by no means does it need 'a lot of investment'.

I'm perfectly happy with the midfield. We need a striker who scores goals, Carroll is capable of playing first choice and being effective.

Ideally we'd buy some more defenders but the defence isn't catastrophic. The squad is largely the same as that which was not going down under Joe Kinnear so with consistency we can make a good go of it.

Many of these players have Premier League experience.

They have experience of being relegated from the Premier League. If you think you could stay up with pretty much the current squad, you are in for a surprise.

Brennino
May 21st, 2010, 8:30 AM
Be a waste of time buying players he already owns.

I didn't say it was his current transfer list.

Nice try though.

El Capitano Gatisto
May 21st, 2010, 8:30 AM
They have experience of being relegated from the Premier League. If you think you could stay up with pretty much the current squad, you are in for a surprise.

Of course they can stay up with that squad, or very minor adjustments. Why do you talk so much fucking shit? You are literally saying they can't avoid relegation with that team.

RFF Champ
May 21st, 2010, 8:33 AM

You've moaned at jidge for not contributing anything but you aren't contributing anything yourself.

I've not categorically claimed that we are going to finish 15th and be 10 points clear of relegation, I've said we've got as good a chance as anyone at staying up. To deny that means you are in for as much of a surprise.

These players have the experience of being relegated once in unusual circumstances with managerial changes, board room unrest. Many of the players have played successfully in the Premier League some for many years.

UK Blue
May 21st, 2010, 8:33 AM
Half the league is shit. Put a decent striker in that Newcastle team and they would probably finish mid-table.

WBA cannot defend and the other team that comes up will clearly struggle. Wigan minus N'Zogbia will be in big trouble. There's three Newcastle will finish above.

Simon
May 21st, 2010, 8:45 AM
Of course they can stay up with that squad, or very minor adjustments. Why do you talk so much fucking shit? You are literally saying they can't avoid relegation with that team.

Give me a team that has stayed up without significant improvements to the side? It doesn't happen. The side went down with a stronger side than the current one. They've lost Owen, Duff, Bassong and Beye from their first-choice line-up, and replaced them with Best, Williamson, Routledge and Simpson. There is no reason to think they would stay up without significant investment given that they are a significantly weaker side than the one that got relegated a year ago. It's theoretically possible but it wouldn't happen.

RFF Champ
May 21st, 2010, 8:50 AM
Give me a team that has stayed up without significant improvements to the side? It doesn't happen. The side went down with a stronger side than the current one. They've lost Owen, Duff, Bassong and Beye from their first-choice line-up, and replaced them with Best, Williamson, Routledge and Simpson. There is no reason to think they would stay up without significant investment given that they are a significantly weaker side than the one that got relegated a year ago. It's theoretically possible but it wouldn't happen.

That argument doesn't stand up because you are looking at it entirely based on the fact that the team has lost some big names since the last time we were in the league compared to the teams that are around us.

Owen and Martins were ineffective when they were in the 3 pronged attack during the Shearer reign. Duff was playing left back and Enrique is a significantly better left back. Taylor and Coloccini are decent enough defenders, one is in and around the Argentina squad and impressed in La Liga (not too difficult for defenders, I know) and the other was part of a Newcastle team that got into Europe and performed well for years.

Beye is a big loss and Simpson might struggle but he did alright at Blackburn and has experience. What's more the team has gelled and have played some good football and looked on each others wavelength, something that couldn't have been said last time we were in the division.

As I said earlier, they were unusual circumstances when we went down. Clipboard Chris will almost certainly be around for the season regardless of success adding stability for the squad.

El Capitano Gatisto
May 21st, 2010, 8:50 AM

You're a joke. What were Wolve's significant improvements then? Stoke's?

Any team up to 10th place last season could get relegated. Most of the sides involved are crap. Wigan and Wolves, in particular, are two bad teams. Bolton are a bad team. West Ham are a bad team and woefully mismanaged. The two sides coming up with Newcastle are/will be weaker than they are.

Think about what you are saying.

Simon
May 21st, 2010, 9:05 AM
You're a joke. What were Wolve's significant improvements then? Stoke's?

Any team up to 10th place last season could get relegated. Most of the sides involved are crap. Wigan and Wolves, in particular, are two bad teams. Bolton are a bad team. West Ham are a bad team and woefully mismanaged. The two sides coming up with Newcastle are/will be weaker than they are.

Think about what you are saying.

Wolves signed a striker who their manager has acknowledged was the key to them staying up, you've made a fool of yourself citing them as evidence of your point of view because it is proof of what I am saying. Want further proof? Their star man from the Championship was Ebanks-Blake, and he scored one league goal all season. Without Doyle they would have struggled hugely for the goals that eventually kept them up.

They also signed Mancienne who was a key figure for them in centre mid for much of the season season.

Stoke were also struggling until James Beattie came in - as with McCarthy on Doyle, Pulis has acknowledged on numerous occasions that Beattie scored the goals that kept them in the division. They also signed Etherington, Sorensen and Faye, who have proven to be key players in their survival in their first season and consolidation in their second season. Again, this is proof of the point I am making, not the point you are making.

In my opinion it is unlikely that either side would have stayed up without the signings they made.

El Capitano Gatisto
May 21st, 2010, 9:11 AM
Wolves DID NOT significantly improve their squad. Nor did Stoke. You have made a fool of yourself by suggesting that signing Championship/lower PL players are significant improvements. If Newcastle go out and sign 2-3 players from clubs below or around them, you would call that a significant improvement then?

Further, Newcastle already have players who have routinely played at a higher level, so their squad base is stronger already than most sides coming up.

Simon
May 21st, 2010, 9:20 AM
Wolves DID NOT significantly improve their squad. Nor did Stoke. You have made a fool of yourself by suggesting that signing Championship/lower PL players are significant improvements. If Newcastle go out and sign 2-3 players from clubs below or around them, you would call that a significant improvement then?

Further, Newcastle already have players who have routinely played at a higher level, so their squad base is stronger already than most sides coming up.

For all your posturing you are ignoring the fundamental issue that Wolves DID significantly improve their side by signing a proven Premier League goalscorer who joined and DID score the goals that kept them in the league. If you are going to ignore these two things which I would consider to be facts then there is no argument to be had. Same with Beattie at Stoke. Both managers have acknowledged how important these signings were to them retaining their places in the league, so you'll forgive me if I don't side with you in saying they weren't significant improvements.

Newcastle have a squad of players who have failed once to keep them up. If they sign players, as I'm sure they will, then they have a great chance of staying up, because the standard of the league right now isn't very good. If they don't, then they will go back down, just as other sides who have stuck with what they had have done. Burnley last season, Watford a few years ago. Reading are the only exception to the rule I can think of.

1_Pablo_Angel
May 21st, 2010, 9:28 AM
Did wigan or Reading improve their squads much when they came up?

1_Pablo_Angel
May 21st, 2010, 9:29 AM
Oh you said Reading. whoops

Simon
May 21st, 2010, 9:36 AM
Alex, don't imply (via rep, so this makes sense) that I'm saying what I'm saying because of some vendetta against Newcastle, that is baseless, childish and pathetic. If you don't agree with me then fair enough but don't bring this gay shit to the discussion.

Andy
May 21st, 2010, 9:50 AM
There is a lot of shit teams in the league, Newcastle could easily stay up with their squad.

El Capitano Gatisto
May 21st, 2010, 11:19 AM
For all your posturing you are ignoring the fundamental issue that Wolves DID significantly improve their side by signing a proven Premier League goalscorer who joined and DID score the goals that kept them in the league. If you are going to ignore these two things which I would consider to be facts then there is no argument to be had. Same with Beattie at Stoke. Both managers have acknowledged how important these signings were to them retaining their places in the league, so you'll forgive me if I don't side with you in saying they weren't significant improvements.

Newcastle have a squad of players who have failed once to keep them up. If they sign players, as I'm sure they will, then they have a great chance of staying up, because the standard of the league right now isn't very good. If they don't, then they will go back down, just as other sides who have stuck with what they had have done. Burnley last season, Watford a few years ago. Reading are the only exception to the rule I can think of.

Kevin Doyle was a proven Championship goalscorer, he was certainly not a proven Premier League goalscorer unless you stretch the definition to "has documented evidence of having scored in the Premier League." He didn't even make 10 goals in the Premier League this season, did he? I'm not denying he's a good player, in fact he's a very good player, but I think you're taking the piss by saying that signing one good player is significantly improving a squad.

So I am not ignoring anything, I am suggesting you choose your words properly. Buying cast-offs is not significantly improving your squad. What you mean to say is that Newcastle need to buy a striker who can get them a few goals, which is exactly what everyone else has said too. Even then you have absolutely guaranteed Newcastle will be relegated if their squad remains the same, despite there being weaker sides in the league already.

RFF Champ
May 21st, 2010, 11:38 AM
Wolves signed a striker who their manager has acknowledged was the key to them staying up, you've made a fool of yourself citing them as evidence of your point of view because it is proof of what I am saying. Want further proof? Their star man from the Championship was Ebanks-Blake, and he scored one league goal all season. Without Doyle they would have struggled hugely for the goals that eventually kept them up.

They also signed Mancienne who was a key figure for them in centre mid for much of the season season.

Stoke were also struggling until James Beattie came in - as with McCarthy on Doyle, Pulis has acknowledged on numerous occasions that Beattie scored the goals that kept them in the division. They also signed Etherington, Sorensen and Faye, who have proven to be key players in their survival in their first season and consolidation in their second season. Again, this is proof of the point I am making, not the point you are making.

In my opinion it is unlikely that either side would have stayed up without the signings they made.

Mancienne flirted in and out of the team, by no means was he crucial to them staying up. He came in for the West Ham game and played well but their central midfield was made up of Henry, Jones and Guediora with Mancienne coming in from time to time.

Doyle was influential but not really because of his goals, he scored 6 goals all season or something and about 2 since Christmas. We've got players like Nolan and Carroll who can perform a similar role of bringing other players into play that Doyle provides, albeit they are not as good as Doyle.

Alex, don't imply (via rep, so this makes sense) that I'm saying what I'm saying because of some vendetta against Newcastle, that is baseless, childish and pathetic. If you don't agree with me then fair enough but don't bring this gay shit to the discussion.

baseless, childish and pathetic is over the top.

Just the other week, I was having a discussion with someone and you waded in with a comment just to attack Newcastle. I'll dig it out, you hadn't been involved in the discussion you just wanted to add it. So not baseless.

Because Newcastle are a circus full of shite.

You've been chucking around baseless comments without singling out players that have performed well at Premier League level for a long time and have gelled into a team over the last year that has looked well connected.

Simon
May 21st, 2010, 11:41 AM
Don't be such a fucking drama queen bender, I have no issue with Newcastle whatsoever.

RFF Champ
May 21st, 2010, 11:42 AM
I don't really care what you think about Newcastle but you've barely looked into the argument. What about players like Barton, Taylor, Nolan, Smith, Harper and so on that have played for a long time in the Premier League?

EDIT: dunno why I put Gutierrez in there

Red Dog
May 21st, 2010, 11:45 AM
Exactly. I don't know how I can carry on supporting a club if we are just going to continually sell off our prize assets to the highest bidder, and replace them with players like Stewart Downing.
I assume this is a joke.

Simon
May 21st, 2010, 11:49 AM
I don't really care what you think about Newcastle but you've barely looked into the argument. What about players like Barton, Taylor, Nolan, Smith, Harper and so on that have played for a long time in the Premier League?

EDIT: dunno why I put Gutierrez in thereThose players all got you relegated a year ago when surrounded by a superior group of players to the group you have now. Why do you assume they would be good enough to stay up this time around.

RFF Champ
May 21st, 2010, 11:56 AM
Those players all got you relegated a year ago when surrounded by a superior group of players to the group you have now. Why do you assume they would be good enough to stay up this time around.

Like I said, the circumstances then were unusual. Under Kinnear we didn't look like going down, his illnesses lead to some instability and managers struggling to motivate the players which meant that we were playing awful football.

You mentioned players like Duff and Owen that we are now missing but they were wildly underperforming compared to what we all expect. The Duff I've seen for Fulham this season is miles improved to what he was like last season, which I think highlights the mismanagement.

The players have gelled over the last season and we look stronger as a team. I'm delusional to think that we are 100% staying up but you seem to be categorically denying that we have any chance which I disagree with. I have added that getting goals will be a big issue for us with the current strike force.

I hope and believe that we will do some business, whether it be some loans or perhaps free transfers. Some fans believe that if Milner moves then we get a cut but I can't see anything from the time of the transfer to suggest that may be the case.

Managerial stability, playing more as a unit and players who have developed over the last season lead me to believe that we have a chance of staying up and I don't think that's an unreasonable belief.

Torn
May 21st, 2010, 12:20 PM

So Wolves bought a striker who scored goals and stayed up? Hardly a lot of investment and sounds exactly like what Alex is saying his team needs.

Darkoke
May 21st, 2010, 12:27 PM
The year Ipswich came up and finished 5th their only major signing was Hermann Hreiğarsson.

Brennino
May 21st, 2010, 12:32 PM
The year Ipswich came up and finished 5th their only major signing was Hermann Hreiğarsson.

That is pretty fucking major, to be fair.

da_man
May 21st, 2010, 12:35 PM
Being a fan of a team challenging towards the top end of the league, Simon may under-estimate how bad some of the teams down the bottom of the league are. The fact that we finished tenth after having spent minus £18m last summer shows that.

I've seen better teams than Wigan and Bolton down my local park.

Andy
May 21st, 2010, 12:37 PM
F365's massive list of likely movers:

Who will be the major players in this year's gossip-fest? Based on the probability of them moving, the impact it will cause in England's top-flight and their standing in the game, here's our top one hundred predicted mover and shakers...

100) Frederic Piquionne
A host of departures from Fratton Park will occur over the summer and near the front of the exodus will be Piquionne. Where to? Anywhere in England but here."I want to stay in England, but I do not know where," he confirmed after the FA Cup final. Fulham or Blackburn are reasonable shouts.

99) Aruna Dindane
Set to snub Bolton, Wolves and Blackburn by leaving Portsmouth for Greece. "It is obvious I will choose Champions' League football with Panathinaikos," he helpfully declared two weeks ago.

98) Jack Wilshere
Not a transfer as such, but Bolton have made it publicly clear that they want to sign Wilshere on another six-month loan deal from Arsenal. It could prove a significant bit of business if it facilitates a far bigger transfer involving Arsenal and Bolton this summer...

97) James Beattie
If Tony Pulis remains as Stoke City boss, Beattie is a goner. The talk is of a move to West Brom.

96) Dave Kitson
And what goes for Beattie is repeated for Kitson. Quite what this level of disharmony says about Pulis' management is a debate for another day.

95) Mikael Silvestre
One of three centre-halves poised to leave Arsenal this summer - Philippe Senderos and William Gallas being the others. Now's a good time to mention that Sol Campbell is very much likely to be given a new deal. The only major doubt is whether the contract will be for one or two years.

94) Deco
Chelsea will be adhering to his request to return to his homeland for personal reasons. Expect three or four of the Stamford Bridge relative pensioners to depart during the coming months - including Hilario and the under-estimated Juliano Belletti.

93) Eduardo
Arsene Wenger declared in April that he was considering offering the striker a new deal but a parting would surely suit both parties. Eduardo needs regular football if he is to complete his recovery - and that isn't on offer at the Emirates.

92) Sebastian Larsson
Lost his place in the Brum side towards the end of the season and revealed at the start of the month that he had received no word on a new contract. Newcastle are supposedly interested.

91) Albert Riera
The Spaniard has surely whinged and whined his way out of Anfield. Having extended his attack to the Liverpool board and English clubs in general, it's impossible to foresee him staying in Blighty even if Rafa Benitez departs.

90) Nigel Reo-Coker
The midfielder he wants to stay and fight for a place at Aston Villa but his future will surely be indirectly decided by that of James Milner. A reputed target of Blackburn, Reo-Coker is the highest-profile of a number of low-profile fringe players - including Luke Young, Curtis Davies, Steve Sidwell and Nicky Shorey - who could depart Villa Park this summer

89) Alex Hleb
The bread boy is hankering after a move back to England after Barcelona realised that he doesn't do very much.

88) Pape Diakhate
The Guardian says this lad is on Arsene Wenger's wishlist. If you were also wondering, he's a Senegal defender on loan at St Etienne and valued at £10m by Dynamo Kiev.

87) Roberto Mancini
He'll only be jettisoned by City if a manager of Jose Mourinho's calibre becomes available. And Jose is Madrid bound.

86) Ricardo Carvalho
Chelsea apparently believe they might receive £10m for Carvalho as they cull their squad in order to accommodate some fresh - and younger - blood. Carlo Ancelotti is believed to be intent on promoting Dutch youngster Jeffrey Bruma as cover behind John Terry and Alex.

85) Yaya Toure
A possible makeweight in a transfer for Cesc Fabregas? Kolo's younger brother would be further up this list if only his agent hadn't declared his client has no intention of moving to Arsenal, but could he be tempted by the millions on offer at Man City?

84) Philippe Senderos
Not good enough for Arsenal, not good enough for AC Milan, and not good enough for Everton, the Swiss defender has been reduced to selling himself in public. "I'm at an ideal age, I'm going to play at the World Cup and I am a free transfer - what could be better?" Form? Class? A lower-ranking Prem club are likely to overlook those issues, however.

83) Klaas-Jan Huntelaar
A rumour that just wont go away, even after his disastrous performances against United in the Champions League, is that the Dutchman might be on his way to Old Trafford. Only, we suspect, if AC Milan want to take a punt on Dimi Berbatov and United need some additional persuasion to do a deal.

82) Julian Speroni
Too good for the Championship, just as there are at least half-a-dozen goalkeepers plying their trade in the Prem despite being too bad for the top-flight.

81) Lassana Diarra
Reports in Spain claim that Diarra is back on Arsenal's radar having fallen out of favour at Real Madrid. If not to Arsenal, a return to England is feasible.

80) Jermaine Jenas
He wasn't good enough to be playing for Tottenham when they were merely a top-half club. Sandro's imminent arrival should signal curtains for Jenas' White Hart Lane career. A return to Newcastle has been mooted.

79) Benjani
Man City aren't going to need much cash persuasion in order to part with Benjani so the veteran striker should appeal to a Premiership newbie.

78) Steven Defour
Remember how Sir Alex Ferguson wrote the youngster a letter wishing him well as he recovered from a broken foot last year? We haven't. But we'd have Defour in the top fifty if only he hadn't signed a contract extension with Standard Liege in March.

77) Brede Hangeland
Said he was offered the chance to transfer to Arsenal last summer. Arsene Wenger says he wasn't. And so that's probably that.

76) Marek Hamsik
The Napoli and Slovakia player is just one of many, many players being linked with Man City.

75) Mesut Ozil
As this is lad - an attacking midfielder for Werder Bremen who would cost in the region of £20m.

74) Micah Richards
Seemingly out of favour at City, Richards' career has been stalled for so long that it would be better described as crashed. By our count, he's been standing still for at least two years. Will player or club decide that a change of scene might just be the tonic?

73) Joe Hart
The Guardian claimed a few weeks ago that Arsenal were preparing a bid for Hart. However, and not least because City will require Hart at the start of next season to cover for the injured Shay Given, we'd literally eat a hat if he isn't a City player on September 1.

72) Peter Whittingham
Obviously dependent on Cardiff's success or otherwise in the playoff final. However, the financially fubared Welshmen will almost certainly have to sell someone if they don't make the Premier League, and with a whopping 25 goals from midfield behind him, Whittingham will be just ahead of Joe Ledley.

71) Emmanuel Adebayor
The Togo striker seemed utterly uninterested towards the end of the season and it wouldn't be a surprise if he is shipped out of Eastlands this summer as the club strives to go up another critical level. But who could afford Adebayor's £140,000-a-week wages and who can see Adebayor abandoning his lucrative City contract to take a paycut?

70) Gio dos Santos
While Harry Redknapp has been praised for giving write-offs like David Bentley, Gareth Bale and Roman Pavlyuchenko a second go, we'd be astounded, astonished and flabbergasted if Dos Santos gets another shot. However, a decent showing at the World Cup might persuade someone to part with some hard-earned.

69) Ben Foster
So much for the expectation that he would be the next number one for country and country's biggest club. Having accepted he has mistaked his way into a dead end at Old Trafford, Foster is joining Birmingham in a £6m move.

68) Matthew Upson
As he is one of the highest-paid players at Upton Park, it would cause a ripple of surprise inside F365 Towers were he to move on.

67) Anderson
Touted as a possible makeweight in a deal that would see Benfica winger Angel di Maria move to Old Trafford.

66) Gianluigi Buffon
There was much excitement a couple of weeks ago when the Italian goalkeeper said he was interested in a move to England. The old cynic in us, however, simply muttered 'negotiation ploy'.

65) Hugo Rodallega
Too good for Wigan?

64) Charles N'Zogbia
Birmingham have already launched an £8m bid for the Wigan winger. It's been rejected but we suspect that another million will do the business.

63) Christian Benitez
Ours is not to question why, but it does seem a little surprising that Brum are offering £8m for Christian N'Zogbia and yet have shied away from spending £7m on Benitez. "I am sorry to lose Chucho but the deal was just too rich for us," said Alex McLeish at the end of the season.

62) Edin Dzeko
A fashionable piece of gossip in January, Dzeko has slipped off the rumour radar in the past couple of months. A shame, we liked the look of him.

61) Aiden McGeady
A bit like Roy Evans used to be linked with every vacant managerial post for a couple of seasons, a transfer window wouldn't be fully open unless someone was predicting a move south for McGeady from Celtic. The latest we've heard is Sunderland, but we've heard it all before too.

60) Kevin Boateng
Another soon-to-be ex-Pompey player - though we're not expecting Chelsea to make an offer.

59) Jermaine Beckford
His final act for Leeds was to score the goal that got them back into the Championship. A move to Everton is apparently a done deal, so we'll find out next season if he's as good as he thinks he is.

58) Roque Santa Cruz
A good target for some mid-ranking Prem clubs if, as expected, Santa Cruz is part of a mass clear-out at City. The stumbling block might be the not-small matter of the wage cut he'd have to take.

57) Luis Suarez
A possible for Tottenham and Manchester United if Ajax significantly reduce their ludicrous demand for £40m to do business.

56) Alan Hutton
A permanent transfer from Tottenham to Sunderland looked a certainty a few weeks ago but recent talk has suggested that a £5m price tag has put the deal in considerable doubt.

55) Mikel Arteta
Although Arteta is the early frontrunning contender to replace Cesc Fabregas if he leaves Arsenal, his agent says his client doesn't want to leave Liverpool. Still, the proof will be in the pudding - Arteta is still yet to sign a new deal at Goodison Park.

54) Rio Ferdinand
Sir Alex hasn't made himself the most successful manager in modern history without revealing a ruthless streak and, given his recent injury record, dumping Ferdinand this summer would be no more dramatic than Sir's ousting of Jaap Stam almost ten years ago.

53) Kaka
Supposedly on Chelsea's shopping list, he'd be far higher up our list if only we had a degree of expectation that a deal will happen. Still, we've been wrong in the past. Lots of times.

52) Martin Petrov
Just one of many, many players expected to leave City this summer. Tottenham could do worse.

51) Roman Pavlyuchenko
In betting terms, a move to Liverpool is an outside shot. The smart money will be on him remaining at Tottenham, however, after he finally began to make his mark at White Hart Lane towards the end of the season.

50) Robert Koren
Curiously released by West Brom at the end of his contract, the Slovenian should pop up at a lower-half Premier League side in the summer. Especially if he does, how you say, the business against England in the World Cup.
Prediction: Someone like West Ham or Stoke. Maybe Wolves. Maybe Newcastle.

49) Emile Heskey
Having ended the season as a bit-part player at Villa, he'll be even further down the pecking order if Villa stump up the cash for the type of goalsniffing striker they require as cover for the overburdened Gabby Agbonlahor. Or move in for Carlton Cole.
Prediction: Will play his last game for England at the World Cup and has already played his last game for Villa. Filling a vacancy at Stoke?

48) Michael Carrick
Following his exposure as second-rate, it would be no surprise if Carrick takes a pedestrian stroll out of Old Trafford this summer if Sir Alex is reassured that Owen Hargreaves will make a full recovery and James Milner arrives. A possible makeweight in a deal for Milner, a return to Tottenham isn't far-fetched either.
Prediction: Alas, it's probably only our bewilderment at the Carrick myth that makes us think he will have to find a more suitable level of employment.

47) Michael Ballack
The crocked German will have to agree to a substantial pay-cut if he is to remain at Stamford Bridge. Chelsea will not be unduly concerned at the prospect of losing the German so long as Michael Essien is fit to start the new season. Another player whose future will also be influenced by Milner's.
Prediction: Schalke.

46) Franck Ribery
Chelsea would surely welcome him with open arms, as would the two leading clubs of Manchester, regardless of the cost, but the suspicion is that Ribery will only leave Bayern Munich for Spain.
Prediction: Sorry, but Spain's where it's at.

45) Connor Wickham
It's been widely reported that the Ipswich youngster will be bought by Tottenham for around £5m and then loaned straight back to the Tractor Boys.
Prediction: We know nothing about this tale apart from what we've read in the papers. So we'll take the risk of sticking with that.

44) Steven Fletcher
One of the very few Burnley players to occasionally impress last season, Fletcher is understood to be a target for both Wolves and Birmingham. Bids of approximately £8m may already have been lodged according to some gossipers.
Prediction:A second Premiership season awaits. Most probably with Wolves.

43) Jamie O'Hara
Back at Tottenham but probably not for long. His stint a Portsmouth has given O'Hara a taste for regular football - "I have got to play football every week" - and that's not something Tottenham will be able to offer.
Prediction: A bit of a punt, but why not West Ham?

42) Robert Green
It is a measure of how low English goalkeeping has fallen that Green's availably has attracted so little interest. Arsenal, with their obvious vacancies, should be an obvious link, but just how much of an improvement would Green be on the discredited Almunia?
Prediction: Rather sadly, we'd wouldn't be at all surprised if he ends up staying at West Ham.

41) David James
Another south-coast refugee with Pompey unable to afford his wages. Tottenham looked a good bet until Carlo Cudicini declared himself fully recovered from January's motorbike accident. .
Prediction: Stoke? Maybe?

40) Kevin Doyle
A big fish in a small pond at Wolves, Doyle will only become available if a bid in excess of £10m is tabled. And that isn't going to happen. He's good, but...
Prediction: Staying at Wolves.

39) Andrey Arshavin
Sometimes brilliant, all too often absolutely anonymous. The departure of Cesc Fabregas leaves a space open for a playmaker at Arsenal, but the Russian is surely too inconsistent. The sale of two creative types in a summer might be too much, but should a big hitter come in with oodles of cash, a sale might be a wise decision.
Prediction: Chances are he'll stay, but Italy or Real Madrid could come calling.

38) Ashley Cole
Talk of Cole moving out of Chelsea has gone quiet of late but there isn't a club in the world - with perhaps the exception of Manchester United - who wouldn't sign Cole if he became available.
Prediction: If Cole is to ever move to Spain, this is the summer.

37) Zlatan Ibrahimovic
The Swede is likely to be marginalized at Barcelona by the arrival of David Villa and is said to be attracting interest from Man City. More likely is a return to Italy.
Prediction: A big-club addict, Ibrahimovic might well fancy a move to AC Milan, Juventus or even a return to Inter.

36) Carlos Tevez
Rather than dampen down the speculation, Tevez has fuelled talk he might leave City by admitting he was "disappointed" by his first season at Eastlands. And those rumours of a rift with Roberto Mancini just won't go away either. Could Real Madrid provide an attractive route out?
Prediction: Much will depend on how he performs in the World Cup's shop window.

35) Alexandre Pato
The Times have been wrong whilst gossiping about Chelsea in the past but the paper sounded confident the other week when it announced, 'Carlo Ancelotti has identified Pato, the AC Milan striker, as his main transfer target for the summer'. A rumour to keep an eye on.
Prediction: Ancelotti's interest might be true but we're struggling to believe Milan will let him go.

34) Kenny Dalglish
It's a long shot, but the possibility of Dalglish taking over at Anfield on an interim basis if Benitez departs has already been talked up on the backpage of one newspaper. It does make some sense, too, because how will Liverpool be able to attract a manager of substance if their ownership remains in limbo?
Prediction: It would be silly to be bet on Dalglish returning but we've also heard sillier ideas.

33) Sandro
21-year-old Brazilian midfielder will join Tottenham later this summer at the end of the Copa Libertadores...
Prediction: A done deal.

32) Scott Parker
The only West Ham player not put up for sale by the club's disgruntled owners, Parker has since said he wants to stay but added that the matter is "out of my hands". Somebody, surely, will test both Parker and West Ham's resolve.
Prediction: A 50-50 call.

31) Roy Hodgson
The frontrunner contender to replace Rafa Benitez is the Spaniard does jump off Lverpool's sinking ship, he'd also be the obvious choice to replace Fabio if the Don opts out of England. .
Prediction: In percentage terms of likelihood: 85% staying at Fulham, 10% going to Liverpool, 5% succeeding Fabio.

30) Javier Mascherano
The Argentine has put his contract talks on hold and has since revealed that his family is not happy living in Liverpool. Oh, and with Yaya Toure agitating for a move out of Barcelona, could there be a vacancy for a defensive-midfielder at the Nou Camp
Prediction: A bit too obvious?

29) Frank Lampard
The Daily Mail has got itself into a considerable tizz of late talking up the possibility of Lampard moving to Real Madrid if and when Jose Mourinho takes over at the Bernabeu. Would Chelsea say no to a £30m bid for a 31-year-old? Bigger question: Would Real really bid £30m for a 31-year-old who turns 32 in June?
Prediction: Ms Bleakley can sleep easy: We'd be very surprised if Lampard isn't still residing in London at the start of next season.

28) Rafa Benitez
If this list was compiled a few weeks ago, then the Spaniard would have been at the sharp end of the top ten. However, he's tumbled down the order in recent days on account of the growing impression that he really is set to stay at Anfield. But does that mean Torres, Gerrard and co are less or more likely to stay?
Prediction: If the rumours are true, managerial stability may not produce playing-staff stability.

27) Robbie Keane
Just two years after being heralded as the man to spearhead Liverpool's first title since the days of Maggie Thatcher, Keane finds his career in limbo. Spurs, despite Harry Redknapp's protestations to the contrary, will surely sell if a suitable offer is made - and it is reported that Wolves and Sunderland won't be shy in coming forward.
Prediction: Another step down the Premier League pecking order.

26) Robinho
Remember him? The Brazilian is still officially a Manchester City player on loan at Santos but a permanent parting will occur over the next three months. City will just be hoping that his fee rises after he appears in the World Cup shop window.
Prediction: Back to Brazil.

25) Angel di Maria
Almost all of the Premier League big hitters - Chelsea, Man City, Man United and Liverpool - have been linked with the Benfica winger, but the expectation in his native Argentina is that he'll end up at Real Madrid instead. We'll see.
Prediction: We'll see how he does at the World Cup for starters.

24) Jerome Boateng
Set to be the first of many arrivals at Manchester City during a frantic summer of activity. A minimum expectation is of at least 10 transfers involving City. Add in all the small-fry deals and it would be no surprise if the figure hits twenty.
Prediction: Transfer will be announced at the start of June.

23) Manuel Almunia
Was anyone fooled by the claim he missed the end of his latest error-prone, saveless season with a wrist injury? Though Arsene Wenger has made defensive reinforcement his priority, he will surely not be able to overlook the need to purchase a reliable goalkeeper.
Prediction: Arsene's myopic but he can't be blind. The real story - and mystery - is who Arsenal will sign as his first-choice replacement.

22) William Gallas
Arsenal - through Peter Hill-Wood's publication of choice, The Daily Star - have branded Gallas' wage demands as "extravagant", which seems a polite way of declaring they won't be paying. Unofficial estimates reckon that, with Gallas demanding a two-year deal, keeping the 32-year-old would cost the Gunners around £8m. No wonder they're politely declining...
Prediction: Leaving for Paris St Germain.

21) Gary Cahill
With Cahill admitting that he is open to a move up football's ladder, Arsene Wenger denying the claim of Brede Hangeland that Arsenal bid for him last year, and the Jack Wilshere loan deal possibly greasing the wheels, Cahill is the obvious candidate to replace Gallas at the Emirates.
Prediction: The obvious candidate but Wenger's first preference is to look abroad. We'd be surprised if Cahill is the one and only centre-half recruited, but we wouldn't be surprised if he arrives at the Emirates as one of two new defenders.

20) Craig Bellamy
Talk of a transfer to Tottenham has been gossiped ever since he high-fived with Harry Redknapp after City's defeat in the Champions League Qualification final. Doubtless, too much has been read into that incident, but Bellamy rarely puts down firm roots and rumours that all is not harmonious in his relationship with Roberto Mancini abound.
Prediction: Moving on. Again.

19) David Silva
Constantly touted as a possible Premier League newcomer, Silva is expected to be put up for sale (unofficially or otherwise) this summer on account of Valencia's crippling debts. Which remain crippling despite the injection of cash from Barcelona in return for David Villa. The gossipers claim that Tottenham, Chelsea and Manchester United are all interested.
Prediction: But he'll only consider England if neither Madrid nor Barcelona want him.

18) Sir Alex Ferguson
The old boy has repeatedly insisted of late that he has no plans to quit, but in the back of our mind we can still see the words of Philip Cornwall last year when he mused that the most likely date of Sir Alex's retirement was when nobody expected it and he could catch the press on the hop. Hmm. So this summer then?...
Prediction: We're not expecting it, or even predicting it, but stranger things have happened than the World Cup being rudely interrupted by a bombshell announcement from Old Trafford.

17) Fabio Capello
The England boss has committed until 2012 but circumstances frequently trump commitment. England are one of a small group of teams who are genuine contenders to win the World Cup and were they somehow to prevail against Spain and Brazil then who would begrudge Capello u-turning and walking away?
Prediction: Alas, it's an unlikely possibility.

16) Luca Modric
In the space of less than a week midway through May, Modric was talked up as the 'number one transfer target' of both Chelsea and Manchester United. English gossip doesn't come any more flattering. But Tottenham's status as a Champions League club should be sufficient to rebuff any pursuit - Spurs can't afford to lose their top players now.
Prediction: Staying at Spurs - possibly with a new-deal sweetener.

15) Yossi Benayoun
Part of the Anfield exodus? A reputed target for Tottenham, Benayoun's future may depend on whether Rafa Benitez stays or goes. An under-appreciated player, he was also an under-used player last season.
Prediction: A move out of Liverpool.

14) Shaun Wright-Phillips
Roberto Mancini likes his inside-out wingers so it's certainly possible that SWP will begin next season on the left of City's attack instead of Craig Bellamy. It's slightly more likely, however, that SWP will be shipped out and a far superior product brought in.
Prediction: West Ham? They've history for deals such as these...

13) Sergio Aguero
Talk of Aguero moving to England has been wrapping up fish and chips for over a year and it's surely this summer or never for the striker as far as the Prem is concerned. "In June I will try to do what is best for the club and if they need the money then that would be a case of me leaving," he conceded a few weeks ago. With the player indicating Chelsea are the obvious possibility but it wouldn't be a surprise if he moves to Real Madrid as a replacement for the outbound Karim Benzema.
Prediction: We're guessing Madrid.

12) Steven Pienaar
Under-rated midfielder has yet to sign a new deal at Everton but has talked up the prospect of staying at Goodison Park in recent weeks. Will the club's Player of the Year award help convince? Maybe, just maybe, a big offer from Tottenham might cause a rethink, and it's not inconceivable that Manchester United will add him to their list of targets, but....
Prediction: A new deal at Everton.

11) Carlton Cole
Technically up for sale after the West Ham owners announced they would listen to offer for any of their players with the exception of Parker, Cole's form for the Hammers ought to bring him an upgrade during the summer. A replacement for Emile Heskey at Villa?
Prediction: £10m transfer to Villa Park.

10) Karim Benzema
Wayne Rooney has already called upon Manchester United to sign one striker this summer - and that was a call made in the expectation that Dimi Berbatov will remain at the club. In the unquestionable need for extra firepower to be provided, Benzema is a decent bet given that United were interested a year ago and he may be available for a reduced fee this summer.
Prediction: We wouldn't rate his chances of joining United at anything above 30% but we wouldn't have any other striker any higher either.

9) Marouane Chamakh
The latest in a long line of France-to-Arsenal transfers since Monsieur Wenger took charge in North London. The deal is signed, sealed and will delivered in the first week of June.
Prediction: A done deal: He'll be at Arsenal for the new season.

8) Stephen Ireland
The question isn't whether Ireland will be staying at Manchester City but where he will be going. Too good a player, surely, to slip out of the elite, and it's not difficult to foresee him staying in Manchester with United. They are on the look-out for an attacking, goalscoring midfielder and if Milner cannot be lured from Villa then Ireland may be the best available alternative.
Prediction: We wouldn't put money on it, but...a move to United.

7) Jack Rodwell
Chelsea reputedly bid big for Rodwell in January and are likely to make another offer this summer as they seek to fill their quota of English players. But rumour has it that both Arsenal and Manchester United are also in the hunt - with United possibly even viewing Rodwell as a direct successor to the sideline-prone Rio Ferdinand. Makes sense to us.
Prediction: History repeated and Everton's latest bright young thing to transfer to Old Trafford.

6) Steven Gerrard
Could he? The official line from Anfield is that he will not, but what happens if Real Madrid offer the £30m they have reputedly set aside to bring the Liverpool captain to Spain? The official line from F365 is that we're far from convinced Gerrard will still be a Liverpool player next season. It's not as if he has rubbished the rumours, is it?
Prediction: On the balance of probability, then we have to predict 'stay'. But in percentage terms, it's only 80: 20.

5) Joe Cole
Out of contract at Chelsea and seemingly on his way out of Stamford Bridge. Hitch number one: Carlo Ancelotti doesn't seem to rate him. Hitch number two: Cole seems to have rated himself too highly in negotiations. Man City, Man United and even Arsenal have all been mentioned as possible destinations, but the favourite has to be a reunion with Harry Redknapp at Spurs.
Prediction: All the signs point to White Hart Lane.

4) Dimi Berbatov
It just hasn't happened for Berbatov at Old Trafford and Ferguson's body language during the Bulgarian's tortured performance at Sunderland spoke of a final straw being broke. He'll be gone just as soon as United receive a reasonable offer.
Prediction: Going, going...probably to Germany.

3) James Milner
This one has started early with Man City tabling a £20m offer for the Aston Villa midfielder on Wednesday night. Manchester United are not expected to be shy in coming forward either. Aston Villa insist they will not sell - just as they did when they chased off Liverpool from Gareth Barry a couple of summers ago - but the widespread expectation is that they will cash in sooner rather than later.
Prediction: Villa to eventually let go after a bidding war.

2) Cesc Fabregas
Can Arsene afford to let him go? Can Barcelona fund an offer that is too good to refuse? Who will blink first? Just what is the point of the contract? So many questions, so much fuel for the early favourite to be the saga of the summer. Fabregas has youth on his side, Barcelona have a permanent appeal and Arsenal have a concrete contract. Could a compromise be reached that will see Cesc stay on for another year?
Prediction: There's still a long way to go in this particular tale despite Fabregas telling Arsenal he wants out.

1) Fernando Torres
Under contract but reportedly considering his future on account of Liverpool's declining fortunes both on and off the pitch. Is it really true that he is more likely to stay if Rafa Benitez goes? A confirmed target of Manchester City, he's also on the radar of Barcelona and Chelsea. As £80m is the going rate for players of his class leaving the Prem, Liverpool really might be tempted to cash in on a player who made just 20 league starts last term.
Prediction: The deal of the summer. Ending in a bidding war victory for Manchester City.

da_man
May 21st, 2010, 12:40 PM
O'Neill's shopping list:

Ashley Young £8 million.
James Milner £12 million.

I am not having a Blackburn fan jibe at our transfer policy.

Why? Our transfer policy is tremendous.

Warnock - sold at £5m profit
Bentley - sold at £17m profit
Santa Cruz - sold at £15m profit

Assets still at the club:
N'Zonzi - bought for £300k; value now ???
Samba - bought for £500k; value now ???

Brennino
May 21st, 2010, 12:56 PM
You are jibing at O'Neill's ability to buy, which is a joke. Gimmie MON over Sam every day of the week.

El Capitano Gatisto
May 21st, 2010, 12:58 PM
I don't know about that. Would MON have gambled on Jay-Jay Okocha or Youri Djorkaeff? Big Sam's transfer moves have been shrewd over the years. MON's scouting network seems to be one scout who cycles about England and knowledge of players he has already managed.

Darkoke
May 21st, 2010, 1:02 PM
I think it's safe to say MON wouldn't have gambled.

When Rivaldo was a free transfer years ago he intimated to the press that he'd be open to an offer from Celtic and Martin O'Neill offered him a 2 week trial - Rivaldo FFS.

Brennino
May 21st, 2010, 1:06 PM
I don't know about that. Would MON have gambled on Jay-Jay Okocha or Youri Djorkaeff? Big Sam's transfer moves have been shrewd over the years. MON's scouting network seems to be one scout who cycles about England and knowledge of players he has already managed.

Suppose Sam has won more to be fair.

El Capitano Gatisto
May 21st, 2010, 1:07 PM
MON seems to be a manager who would do well to have a good Director of Football buying his players for him.