PDA

View Full Version : The Transfer Rumours Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64

Romford Pele
July 21st, 2016, 9:06 AM
Take the best money available and turn a blind eye to casual racism?

son_of_foley
July 21st, 2016, 9:11 AM
There you go.

He can pretty much go anywhere he wants, but he has chosen to go to Russia, well known as a racist backwater. Money ahead of principles (or lack of)

Again do you think him saying I had the option to go play in Russia but turned it down because of racism would change anything? Do you think he clubs would then try and punish fans? I don't see how you think this will work

Romford Pele
July 21st, 2016, 9:13 AM
The more players that speak out about it, and clearly give their reasons for not going there will put more pressure on the Russian FA and the authorities to do something.

Bearing in mind that the World Cup is being hosted in this prehistoric country in two years, I dread to think what could happen

It is sheer greed, and essentially saying "I don't mind racism if you pay me enough". Pathetic on Songs part amongst others (Etoo etc)

Simon
July 21st, 2016, 9:24 AM
They are not mercenaries - that's football supporter language. That makes it sound like I'm criticising them.

They're businessmen doing what is best for themselves and their families. Which is take the best money available. Players know it, agents know it and the Clubs know it.

Obviously I'm being slightly facetious when I talk about a certain percentage because it has to be at the point where it is worth their while to move - if it is going to cost more to move than the extra money it doesn't make sense. But ultimately it is a rational decision.

So just for example - we won't use Song as an example because there are a shitload of variables irrelevant to money that come into play when you start talking about moving to a new country, and particularly one like Russia - if the average footballer was offered £100k/w to a CL club or £110k/w to move to a mid-ranking PL club, which do you think they'd choose? All other variables - likelihood of playing regularly, location etc - are the same.

Simon
July 21st, 2016, 9:25 AM
The more players that speak out about it, and clearly give their reasons for not going there will put more pressure on the Russian FA and the authorities to do something.

Bearing in mind that the World Cup is being hosted in this prehistoric country in two years, I dread to think what could happen

It is sheer greed, and essentially saying "I don't mind racism if you pay me enough". Pathetic on Songs part amongst others (Etoo etc)

I don't think it's fair to put that on him at all. I just don't understand why he'd want to play in such a hostile and potentially dangerous environment.

Beefy
July 21st, 2016, 9:37 AM
So just for example - we won't use Song as an example because there are a shitload of variables irrelevant to money that come into play when you start talking about moving to a new country, and particularly one like Russia - if the average footballer was offered £100k/w to a CL club or £110k/w to move to a mid-ranking PL club, which do you think they'd choose? All other variables - likelihood of playing regularly, location etc - are the same.

The £110k. You see all day every day teams like Norwich and West Ham signing players from Basle and Sporting Lisbon.

If you're talking about two English clubs then I think it depends on the situation. The Champions League clubs have tended to be the ones who bring about massively greater earning potential beyond the amount going in their account every month and up until this TV deal it's been pretty much impossible for the non-CL teams to compete on wages.

Can you give me many examples of players who have turned down more money to either go or stay? Shearer going to Newcastle, Le Tissier staying at Southampton.... it does happen but not that often.

son_of_foley
July 21st, 2016, 9:52 AM
The racism predates them being awarded the world cup. Do you honestly think they will grant them a world cup knowing full well what they were getting in to and now say holy fuck Alex Song isn't happy about racism?

There's enough data points for the authorities to have done something about this but they've chosen not to.

Also why do you have any right to tell these black footballers how they should deal with racism that's directed at them?

Romford Pele
July 21st, 2016, 10:19 AM
Of course it does, which makes the decision to give them the world cup looks even worse.

There is nothing that makes people change more than bad PR. If senior players come out and trash the Russian authorities and turn them down, then it reflects very badly on them. If a player chooses to take the money to go there then he is implicating accepting the fact that racism is fine as long as he is paid enough.

Players are role models, like it or not. It just happens in Russia that it is black players who are targeted, but the same should apply to any ethnic group - by accepting the money and going to that league, they are accepting racism.

son_of_foley
July 21st, 2016, 10:31 AM
I wish Alex Song and Samuel Etoo had more consideration about how them being racially abused impacts you

Romford Pele
July 21st, 2016, 10:35 AM
So you don't think the message it sends out is wrong?

Romford Pele
July 21st, 2016, 10:40 AM
On another note, I love the fact that United are poised to pay £100m for a player they let go for free four years ago :lol:

Peter Griffin
July 21st, 2016, 10:42 AM
Agassahshadhadhadhahdhadh.

Simon
July 21st, 2016, 10:50 AM
Can you give me many examples of players who have turned down more money to either go or stay? Shearer going to Newcastle, Le Tissier staying at Southampton.... it does happen but not that often.

Generally speaking the money goes up when you move to a bigger club, so there aren't many examples of players going where you can confidently say they did it for financial rather than sporting reasons or the other way around. But there are tons of examples of players being offered big money to move to China, the US or the Emirates, which they turn down because they want to actually make the most of their career. It's why big name players tend to go for those moves at the end of their careers, when they've achieved what they wanted to achieve and have nothing left to prove. Zlatan is a good example, he is on record saying he turned down huge offers from the States and China in favour of a move to United because he still wanted to achieve things. Marco Reus is another who has constantly turned down big money to move away from Dortmund, where he earns well but way beneath what he could earn elsewhere. I do appreciate again these are slightly different because moving to a new country has plenty of obstacles besides being a lower level.

So yeah, it's not easy to come up with examples of players who have turned down big money for sporting reasons, because generally moving to a bigger club for sporting reasons is likely to earn you more money as well as a better chance of trophies.

FWIW I don't think Shearer is a great example, pretty sure he was earning as much (if not more) at Newcastle as he could have at United.

Romford Pele
July 21st, 2016, 10:53 AM
And Newcastle were challenging the title at that point as well.

Beefy
July 21st, 2016, 10:58 AM
You can earn the same amount at two clubs and one can still be financially better for you. Commercially (endorsements, etc) Shearer would have made more being a Manchester United player. But yes it isn't like he was playing for his hometown club for a pittance.

Simon
July 21st, 2016, 11:05 AM
Yeah fair point, there was also a likelihood that he would have earned more over time with United through competitive bonuses etc. In any case I don't think being motivated by sporting success is inherently more worthy or moral than money anyway, it's all about ego and that's the main thing that drives most top players. Can't remember where I read but some top coach (possibly that annoying Dutch bloke Raymond whatever) said that he sees nothing wrong with players using money as the primary motivational tool, provided players are guided towards the realisation that the better they play, the more money they will earn.

MMH
July 21st, 2016, 11:38 AM
Of course it does, which makes the decision to give them the world cup looks even worse.

There is nothing that makes people change more than bad PR. If senior players come out and trash the Russian authorities and turn them down, then it reflects very badly on them. If a player chooses to take the money to go there then he is implicating accepting the fact that racism is fine as long as he is paid enough.

Players are role models, like it or not. It just happens in Russia that it is black players who are targeted, but the same should apply to any ethnic group - by accepting the money and going to that league, they are accepting racism.

Well maybe they dont think that all Russians are racist...

Romford Pele
July 21st, 2016, 11:57 AM
Did I say that they were?

MMH
July 21st, 2016, 12:00 PM
Did I say that they were?

Did I say you said they were?

But playing in Russia is not "accepting racism". Far from it.

Romford Pele
July 21st, 2016, 1:26 PM
Yes it does.

son_of_foley
July 21st, 2016, 2:10 PM
It could equally mean they won't allow racists dictate where they can and can't earn a living

RuneEdge
July 21st, 2016, 3:57 PM
On another note, I love the fact that United are poised to pay £100m for a player they let go for free four years ago :lol:

I just love the fact that we can actually spend that kind of money. :yes:

Simon
July 22nd, 2016, 8:07 AM
Dortmund have signed Gotze and Schurrle in the past two days. Great stuff.

Hlebsfall
July 22nd, 2016, 8:34 AM
We have signed a 20 year old from a team relegated from the championship, and another 20 year old from Japan. Great stuff.

Murphy
July 22nd, 2016, 8:34 AM
Getting me BT Sport back this season, so will deffo be watching the Bundesliga again. :yes:

Simon
July 22nd, 2016, 8:39 AM
We have signed a 20 year old from a team relegated from the championship, and another 20 year old from Japan. Great stuff.

And one of the best players from the Euros, in a position you needed to improve on, for €40m - the third most expensive player in the club's history.

Romford Pele
July 22nd, 2016, 8:43 AM
And no top class striker and no winger either.

Simon
July 22nd, 2016, 8:47 AM
Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Welbeck, Sanchez, Ozil, Ramsey not enough players in wide positions? I know they're not all classic wingers, but Arsenal don't play with that sort of player. Yes you need another striker, but clearly that is being addressed seeing as you went in for Vardy. It's not like Giroud is an absolute carthorse, he scored 31 goals last season for club and country.

You lot really do set yourself up for accusations of whinging, don't you.

Romford Pele
July 22nd, 2016, 8:55 AM
Let's take each of these in turn.

Walcott - :lol: The guy has been phoning it in for years. He is one of the most mentally weak players to ever don an Arsenal shirt (!). Injury prone, no end product, patchy finisher. Not good enough.

Oxlade-Chamberlain - Made a promising enough start, but was so poor last season that Joel Campbell displaced him. I don't deny there is talent there but I would not rely on him at this point

Sanchez - yep, he is our one top draw winger at the moment

Ozil - plays centrally, our main playmaker and would be wasted out wide

Welbeck - more of a striker, permanently crocked.

Ramsey - a central midfielder

Simon
July 22nd, 2016, 9:11 AM
Welbeck has played on the wing pretty much his entire career for club and country. You're also moaning about not having a top striker, how are you going to fit this new striker in without moving Welbeck to the wing? Ramsey and Ozil both vie for the same position, one of them has to play out wide - probably Ramsey, who is better in a tucked-in wide attacking mid position than as one of the two holding midfielders in my opinion. Sanchez is class and plays out wide. Oxlade-Chamberlain is potentially brilliant but clearly in a bad run of form, there's every reason to think he can still come good. Walcott is shite, I'll give you that.

There is absolutely no need for Arsenal to buy another winger. That is such a ridiculously weird thing to be moaning about. There are places Arsenal can improve - left back, centre back, striker. None of them are essential signings, but in an ideal world you would improve on Monreal and Mertesacker/Gabriel. Moaning about a lack of wingers when you have both quality and depth in those positions is just fucking mad.

Romford Pele
July 22nd, 2016, 9:49 AM
Welbeck is out for at least 6 months after being injured for most of last season.

Ramsey is nowhere near as effective out wide.

The Rosk
July 22nd, 2016, 9:55 AM
Oh dear God here we go.

Hlebsfall
July 22nd, 2016, 10:02 AM
We need a striker. We've needed a striker for around 4 years now. Giroud is pony. Also a decent centre back. If he can muster up those two before the start of the season, that's fine, otherwise we're going in to the first game of the season against Liverpool with Akpom up front.

Romford Pele
July 22nd, 2016, 10:21 AM
I was hoping Gabriel might step up, but it must be said he wasn't great last season. We have just signed that kid from Bolton so cannot see anyone else coming in that position.

Also, Simon mentioned left back. I assume he didn't watch Arsenal much last season as Monreal was one of our best players! Probably only behind Bellerin and Ozil as our player of the year to be honest. I am quite happy with him there, if we were to upgrade Gibbs fair enough but otherwise fine.

We have needed a striker since RVP left, so yeah 4 years ago. Giroud is decent but not enough if we are looking to challenge. Such a shame we cocked up the Suarez bid.

Lazercette may be the one. Available for about £30m, proven goalscorer (in France admittedly) and looking to move. I can't see us spending £80m on Higuain or the like.

Simon
July 22nd, 2016, 10:29 AM
Oh dear God here we go.

Don't know why I even bothered. You're right lads, Arsenal are absolutely fucking bollocks. I can't wait for Wenger to fuck off so you can see what actual shitness is like.

Hlebsfall
July 22nd, 2016, 10:34 AM
No one is saying they're bollocks, just that they're going in to the season with the exact same issues as the last several seasons. Which is going to lead to the exact same outcome. It's not that I expect Arsenal to win the league, but I'd like to think they would go into the season with the best possible chance of challenging, something that I don't think has happened for a number of seasons now.

Romford Pele
July 22nd, 2016, 10:39 AM
Hlebs is right, we always seem to be 2-3 players away, it is incredibly frustrating. It is isn't the misery that kills you, it is the hope.

Peter Griffin
July 22nd, 2016, 11:01 AM
To change subject before I blow a gasket again, Burnley have made an Improved cash offer plus the season loan of Tarkowski and Diakawra. I would definitely consider that if I were Derby, we are fairly stacked in midfield and we could use defensive strengthening.

_me
July 22nd, 2016, 12:17 PM
We need a striker. We've needed a striker for around 4 years now. Giroud is pony. Also a decent centre back. If he can muster up those two before the start of the season, that's fine, otherwise we're going in to the first game of the season against Liverpool with Akpom up front.
It would help your case if you talked about who you think is good enough to join you, how much you would pay, etc. It really seems like you are waiting for them to sign a player that doesn't exist. There are not dozens of them just sitting around waiting for the phone to ring. They already play in great situations and makes lots of money.

Who is this world class striker that would have been on your team 3 years ago if Wegner wasn't sabotaging Arsenal's seasons on purpose?

Hlebsfall
July 22nd, 2016, 1:08 PM
Higuain for a start last season, when Wenger baulked at paying a few extra million for him. He's now doubled in price since then. That nonsense with Suarez a couple of seasons ago when if they had dipped further into their pockets they could have got him. Do you want me to go on, or is two example from the past couple of years enough? As for now, there isn't really anyone, as per usual it's been left for too long and other clubs have already moved for the players on the market.

The Rosk
July 22nd, 2016, 1:13 PM
They probably didn't want to go to you.

Simon
July 22nd, 2016, 1:19 PM
I still don't think Arsenal did anything wrong with regard to Suarez. His contract stated he was allowed to talk to any club who offered over £40m, therefore the release clause was £40,000,001, which Arsenal offered. Somehow this was seen as disrespectful, but why should Arsenal have bid £45m or even £41m if there's a release clause that's lower than that? It was Liverpool's fault.

son_of_foley
July 22nd, 2016, 2:04 PM
Nothing wrong with the first bid if it becomes apparent it's not a release clause and they expect hire to let him go that's when people would say ok was he not worth another 5m or whatever to get it over the line

El Capitano Gatisto
July 22nd, 2016, 2:09 PM
I don't think Arsenal ever would have got Suarez anyway, Liverpool weren't going to sell to them unless it was a mega fee. £45 million wouldn't have covered it.

Not getting Higuain was fucking stupid however. He was there for the taking and an expected signing. I don't believe Arsenal have ultimately felt the benefit of not paying a few extra million to get him.

son_of_foley
July 22nd, 2016, 2:09 PM
It seems like, although it seems weird, it was a clause that allowed teams to arrange personal terms like city have done with sane but wasn't an agreed fee between the clubs. It was like a show us you're serious type number.

If we're thinking Liverpool were so offended by the 1 pound over bid that they then priced arsenal out of it purely on spite then fair enough

That said I'm sure Suarez is glad now

son_of_foley
July 22nd, 2016, 2:10 PM
Arsenal got enough revenge by getting Sanchez ahead of them anyway

Simon
July 22nd, 2016, 4:35 PM
Stones to City for a shade under £60m. Just...fucking hell.

MMH
July 22nd, 2016, 8:05 PM
Yes it does.

You are the one calling Russia a prehistoric country.

MMH
July 22nd, 2016, 8:07 PM
Stones to City for a shade under £60m. Just...fucking hell.

Right this is pissing me off now (not just you but in general).

People need to realise that transfer fees have changed dramatically this season. Like stupidly so. We will be seeing lots of fees like this.

Romford Pele
July 23rd, 2016, 3:37 AM
You are the one calling Russia a prehistoric country.

Well it is!

Romford Pele
July 23rd, 2016, 3:49 AM

People need to realise that transfer fees have changed dramatically this season. Like stupidly so. We will be seeing lots of fees like this.

Laughable fee.

son_of_foley
July 23rd, 2016, 4:31 AM
At least address his point about fees this year. Berahino at 20m with 1 year left on contract. 105m for Pogba. 15m for ibe. 20m allegedly to get Michael keane

RuneEdge
July 23rd, 2016, 4:51 AM

And it'll be the English clubs paying them.

Simon
July 23rd, 2016, 4:57 AM

Yes but the difference is that Stones is absolutely shit.

Gary J
July 23rd, 2016, 7:15 AM
Mahrez off to Arsenal then.

Look forward to the posts here seeing where Arsenal fans go mad at Giroud fucking up the chances he gets set up for him.

It'll be Ramsey to Xhaka who plays a quick ball to Ozil who feeds Mahrez who plays a lovely through ball to Gir... oh its a goal kick.

BBF
July 23rd, 2016, 7:16 AM
higuain to juve for €93m too. Juventus have got a cracking squad now

son_of_foley
July 23rd, 2016, 7:18 AM
Assume the Pogba deal must be about to go through

Gary J
July 23rd, 2016, 7:19 AM
They already had a pretty good squad before to be fair they were pretty unlucky to not knock out Bayern Munich in the CL last year and the season before they reached the final so it's not like they needed major additions.

RuneEdge
July 23rd, 2016, 2:35 PM

I'm kinda worried Real Madrid are gonna try to swoop in, now that Barca have signed Andre Gomes from under their noses.

In other news, Everton have apparently agreed a €30m fee with Zenit St Petersburg for Axel Witsel.

RuneEdge
July 23rd, 2016, 2:40 PM
Juventus have got a cracking squad now

Bonucci, Barzagli, Chiellini, Benatia. Evra, Lichtsteiner, Dani Alves, that defence is ridiculous.

MMH
July 24th, 2016, 6:39 AM
Yes but the difference is that Stones is absolutely shit.

Hes not though is he? Its hard to judge any defenders in a Martinez defence which is what he has played in so far. With the right club/manager he could be brilliant.

He is nowhere near the finished article or anything but it would be buying massive potential.

El Capitano Gatisto
July 24th, 2016, 7:05 AM

Apparently they can finance it through other sales. It may be all posturing, but they probably do fancy keeping Pogba for another year to see what they can do in the Champions League.

Pogba probably wouldn't mind either since it's obvious Spain is where he wants to be after Juventus.

Chris Scott
July 24th, 2016, 8:30 AM
6 Million for Brad Smith haha, Klopp's knows how to shift these fringe players.

Peter Griffin
July 24th, 2016, 8:32 AM
We will take Wisdom for 5.

Chris Scott
July 24th, 2016, 8:35 AM
You can but he's probably worth 8 million.

Romford Pele
July 24th, 2016, 10:34 AM
Hes not though is he? Its hard to judge any defenders in a Martinez defence which is what he has played in so far. With the right club/manager he could be brilliant.

He is nowhere near the finished article or anything but it would be buying massive potential.

I thought he was like Franco Baresi? :lol:

BBF
July 24th, 2016, 10:40 AM
That's twice you've said that now. Where did MMH say that?

Simon
July 24th, 2016, 11:07 AM
He's shite. Presumably I'm wrong on this because better football minds than me all seem to rate him and are willing to spend a small fortune on him. But as far as I can see he is just a crap defender. The positional issues can be blamed on Martinez to an extent, but unless he's explicitly asking Stones to give the ball away cheaply all the time, often in really dangerous positions, it's not all his fault.

Romford Pele
July 24th, 2016, 11:33 AM
That's twice you've said that now. Where did MMH say that?

A month or two back. Good to see you are checking up.

BBF
July 24th, 2016, 12:38 PM
He said he was more Baresi then Luiz in his style of play.

Peter Griffin
July 24th, 2016, 12:43 PM
You can but he's probably worth 8 million.

Can only go as high as 6. Don't want to be breaking our transfer record.

Andy
July 24th, 2016, 1:38 PM
He's shite. Presumably I'm wrong on this because better football minds than me all seem to rate him and are willing to spend a small fortune on him. But as far as I can see he is just a crap defender. The positional issues can be blamed on Martinez to an extent, but unless he's explicitly asking Stones to give the ball away cheaply all the time, often in really dangerous positions, it's not all his fault.

Every pundit going seems to think he's doing well for continuing to try and play his way out from the back despite everyone around him being shite. Everyone apart from Danny Mills anyway, who incidentally went mad at some England youth playing for Man City who tried to play the ball out from the back and conceded a chance in a pre-season friendly.

Simon
July 24th, 2016, 2:07 PM
I just don't buy that his problems are solely down to youth and Martinez respectively. You can forgive the odd positional mistake from a young defender no problem, it's an inevitable part of growing up and gaining experience, but the sort of mistakes Stones makes are ones you'd be annoyed at a 12 year old for making. Trying to beat players in his own box, attempting risky passes all over the place when he's the last man back, these are things that should be long gone from a centre back by his mid-teens, let alone a 22-year old with over a hundred professional games under his belt, and certainly not acceptable for someone touted as the next great English centre back available for the low, low price of £60m. I also think the idea that he's a cultured, ball-playing defender is a case of the emperor's new clothes anyway - yeah, he's willing to try to pass the ball out from the back, but he's not actually any good at it. He gives the ball away all the time regardless of whether they are risky or pressurised passes, and he doesn't carry the ball into midfield effectively either. Having the will to be a passing centre back isn't enough, you actually have to be able to do it, both in terms of technique and intelligence.

The fact that so many top sides are interested in him suggests I must be completely wrong on this...but from what I've seen of him over the past couple of years he's a liability. He seems to think he's David Luiz - but the problem is that he's nowhere near as talented as David Luiz, nor does he realise that even David Luiz only barely gets away with being David Luiz.

MMH
July 24th, 2016, 3:33 PM
I just don't buy that his problems are solely down to youth and Martinez respectively. You can forgive the odd positional mistake from a young defender no problem, it's an inevitable part of growing up and gaining experience, but the sort of mistakes Stones makes are ones you'd be annoyed at a 12 year old for making. Trying to beat players in his own box, attempting risky passes all over the place when he's the last man back, these are things that should be long gone from a centre back by his mid-teens, let alone a 22-year old with over a hundred professional games under his belt, and certainly not acceptable for someone touted as the next great English centre back available for the low, low price of £60m. I also think the idea that he's a cultured, ball-playing defender is a case of the emperor's new clothes anyway - yeah, he's willing to try to pass the ball out from the back, but he's not actually any good at it. He gives the ball away all the time regardless of whether they are risky or pressurised passes, and he doesn't carry the ball into midfield effectively either. Having the will to be a passing centre back isn't enough, you actually have to be able to do it, both in terms of technique and intelligence.

The fact that so many top sides are interested in him suggests I must be completely wrong on this...but from what I've seen of him over the past couple of years he's a liability. He seems to think he's David Luiz - but the problem is that he's nowhere near as talented as David Luiz, nor does he realise that even David Luiz only barely gets away with being David Luiz.

He actually carries the ball very well into midfield. Its one of his best traits.

I have said loads of times he does some stupid things but if you can take that out of his game (a lot of the time he had nobody to pass to and was told to keep the ball under all circumstances like all our players were, which led to some piss poor mistakes) then there is certainly a player there.

His positioning aint the best and he is somewhat ropy in the air, that's obviously a problem. His recovery speed is excellent and he jockeys very well.

Lets not forget he is still young and had his head turned last year. If we are willing to call young players utter shit at that age then its no wonder why English football is shite. Right now he is a fairly average defender but a very good footballer. With the right manager to learn from the sky could be the limit for him. I was hoping that manager would be Koeman what with him being a ball playing defender himself but he obviously wants to move on so fine. We wont miss him as such in his current form but down the line we probably will.

Mik
July 26th, 2016, 7:02 PM
Can Arsenal fans stop saying that Giroud is 'pony' like it's just an irrefutable fact.

The Beer Monster
July 26th, 2016, 7:54 PM
Can Arsenal fans stop saying that Giroud is 'pony' like it's just an irrefutable fact.

I like his face.

Romford Pele
July 27th, 2016, 4:34 AM

He is a decent squad player, nothing more.

Beefy
July 27th, 2016, 5:02 AM
He's main centre forward for arguably the best national side in Europe and he scored 30 goals last year.

He's not elite level and a Club like Arsenal should always be looking to improve but he's one of the best in that role in the league.

Romford Pele
July 27th, 2016, 5:28 AM
I very doubt he would be first choice for France had Benzema not decided to be a criminal.

He is a very serviceable forward no doubt, and I would definitely not want to sell him bearing in mind our other opitons of Welbeck (good but injury prone), Walcott (crap), Sanogo (ditto) and Akpom (unproven). If we were to sign an elite level forward (which we haven't had since RVP) then I think we would be reasonably strong there.

BBF
July 27th, 2016, 5:33 AM
Who would you (want to) sign then? Who is the elite level forward that Arsenal need to go and get now?

Romford Pele
July 27th, 2016, 5:48 AM
Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang would be one (long shot I know).

Alexandre Lacazette could be one. Very good goalscoring record, has pace. He probably isn't considered 'elite' right now but perhaps he could step up.

Perhaps prise Benzema from Real Madrid? I concede there are not many options and the market is very expensive (£75m for Higuain!) but I still think we can improve what we had.

RuneEdge
July 27th, 2016, 6:14 AM
It's not that you need an "elite" forward. Giroud isnt half as bad as some people say he is. It's just that if Arsenal want to build a proper title challenge, they aren't going to do it with just Giroud alone.
Replacing Giroud seems like the obvious fix but really, adding another player to the squad who has goals in him would also do the job.
Right now, you only really have Sanchez and Ozil who chips in with a few. If you get another winger who could get you around 15-18 goals a season, and if Giroud could continue to get the 25 or so that he normally scores, you won't need to look for another striker to replace him.

Beefy
July 27th, 2016, 6:26 AM
If £75m for a 29 year old Higuain (who I really rate) is the market rate now for a top centre forward then Arsenal are fucked. Anyone you're going to sign for a reasonable fee will have question marks.

If Lacazette is so much better than Giroud then why was Giroud ahead of him in the France team all summer (honest question, maybe Lacazette was injured?)

Andy
July 27th, 2016, 7:58 AM
So Ivan Gazidis says we can't compete with what other clubs are doing in the market at the moment. We can't compete with them financially. We're the most cash rich club in the world and have this insane tv deal too!

Romford Pele
July 27th, 2016, 8:01 AM
It's not that you need an "elite" forward. Giroud isnt half as bad as some people say he is. It's just that if Arsenal want to build a proper title challenge, they aren't going to do it with just Giroud alone.
Replacing Giroud seems like the obvious fix but really, adding another player to the squad who has goals in him would also do the job.
Right now, you only really have Sanchez and Ozil who chips in with a few. If you get another winger who could get you around 15-18 goals a season, and if Giroud could continue to get the 25 or so that he normally scores, you won't need to look for another striker to replace him.

I'm not sure about that. Giroud is quite 'spurty' player like Rooney. He will have a great run of games and then not score for 10. He also needs to be more clinical. We need a forward with pace who can finish.

I take your point on the midfield. In our pomp we could rely on at least 4 players to hit double figures which is probably what you need to win the league (Henry, Bergkamp, Pires and Ljungberg come to mind)

Ramsey could score 10+ if he has a consistent season, but if we were to sign Mahrez that would definitely change things up for goals from midfield.

Beefy - I honestly don't know

Romford Pele
July 27th, 2016, 8:02 AM
So Ivan Gazidis says we can't compete with what other clubs are doing in the market at the moment. We can't compete with them financially. We're the most cash rich club in the world and have this insane tv deal too!

I love the fact he compared us with Bayern Munich 3 years ago, he has backtracked since...

Though would you be happy with us spending £75m for someone approaching 30?

Andy
July 27th, 2016, 8:09 AM
I say this fully aware of how ludicrous and obscene it sounds, but what is £75m to a club like Arsenal these days? It's simply lies from Gazidis to say that we can't compete with that because we can. Say Arsenal spent £120m this summer, would that be particularly out of the ordinary in this current climate in order to improve the squad enough to challenge for the title and go further in the CL?

Higuain is about as sure a thing as you're going to get. He was available for £75m. Kante is absolutely class and was available for £32m. Loads of centre backs have moved this summer for reasonable money. £120m for three players through the spine of the team, that's pretty much par for the course now.

BBF
July 27th, 2016, 8:12 AM
You totally should mate. Perhaps even draft one in RFF.

Romford Pele
July 27th, 2016, 8:27 AM
I think going from signing no outfield players last year to spending £120m this year is a lot to hope for Andy.

We don't even need Kante so not sure why you were so keen for him to come in

Gary J
July 27th, 2016, 9:13 AM
Arsenal did spend £100m on outfield players the season before though so it's not out of the question. It's unlikely but it could happen.

son_of_foley
July 27th, 2016, 9:59 AM
STOP USING LOGIC

RuneEdge
July 27th, 2016, 3:27 PM
I'm not sure about that. Giroud is quite 'spurty' player like Rooney. He will have a great run of games and then not score for 10. He also needs to be more clinical. We need a forward with pace who can finish.

I take your point on the midfield. In our pomp we could rely on at least 4 players to hit double figures which is probably what you need to win the league (Henry, Bergkamp, Pires and Ljungberg come to mind)

Ramsey could score 10+ if he has a consistent season, but if we were to sign Mahrez that would definitely change things up for goals from midfield.
I was getting late for work so I couldn't elaborate on what I really had in mind. What I wanted to say was that there isnt a readily available striker with 30+ goals that you can just go out and grab to replace Giroud with. Not unless you spend crazy money and unsettle one of these "elite" players. And if that's what it's going to take to get an "elite" player, then it's not the only way forward. In that case, you're better off looking to get in a midfielder to make up the goals that Giroud doesn't get you.
Giroud isn't that bad. Not so bad that you have to replace him, as long as you strengthen elsewhere.

Mik
July 27th, 2016, 3:33 PM
Like with buying mahrez perhaps? With ozil, Ramsey, Sanchez and carzola all capable of getting into double figures each season, mahrez doing the same, wellbeck, wilshire, Walcott and the ox capable of chipping in with a few of and when they are fit or on form, it really isn't more goals that your team needs.

RuneEdge
July 27th, 2016, 3:42 PM
Well they didnt concede too many goals either, so what does that mean? Sign no one and sack the manager?

El Capitano Gatisto
July 27th, 2016, 4:29 PM
Arsenal probably could have bought Higuain for less. Napoli would never have sold him to Juventus if not for the prohibitive release fee. He could get murdered for making that move.

The time for Arsenal to get him was when Real were getting rid. They had him in the bag but for quibbling over a few million quid. Utterly stupid at the time and moreso in retrospect. Giroud isn't good enough, he isn't even remotely reliable against decent teams and is a shoddy finisher when it counts. He is just far too unreliable, not a match-winner.

Mik
July 27th, 2016, 5:22 PM
Well they didnt concede too many goals either, so what does that mean? Sign no one and sack the manager?

They need more big match players with a bit of grit. They are flat track bullies a bit.

Hlebsfall
July 27th, 2016, 7:25 PM
The question on who should replace Giroud shouldn't be asked now, it should have been answered before the start of last season when it was already obvious he wasn't good enough. But yet again we'll be going in to the season with a guy who went on a 15 game goalless streak despite having the likes of Ozil and Sanchez supporting him. He's shit.

Anyway, it seems like Coquelin has been playing centre back in training so it seems a CB is a more pressing issue at the moment, because it's going to be a fucking disaster if that walking red card starts there against Liverpool.

wardy
July 27th, 2016, 7:51 PM
If Rangers sign Van Persie I will fucking kill myself.

Peter Griffin
July 27th, 2016, 8:12 PM

Quoted for posterity.

MikeHunt
July 28th, 2016, 1:17 AM

Fuck knows how we can afford that. I highly doubt it's happening.

son_of_foley
July 28th, 2016, 2:22 PM
If hal Robson kanus chooses to live in Hull ahead of Madrid or seville he's a retard.

No offense Gary

Beefy
July 28th, 2016, 3:13 PM
He's really not very good. He should exploit his once in a lifetime summer and go wherever is paying the most

son_of_foley
July 28th, 2016, 3:27 PM
He's really not very good. He should exploit his once in a lifetime summer and go wherever is paying the most

I think if he goes to la liga he's guaranteed a decent move back in the future. I would take the lifestyle move. Similar to when Healy went to Fulham instead of south of France or Spain.

Beefy
July 28th, 2016, 4:03 PM
Hal spent two six month spells in Southend-on-Sea. He knows what the extreme good weather and fantastic lifestyle is like.

son_of_foley
July 28th, 2016, 4:11 PM
It's sometimes called the hull of the south isn't it?

RFF Champ
August 1st, 2016, 3:03 AM
Pulis spending on the worst striker in the league is so perfect. Baggies are going dowwwwn.

son_of_foley
August 1st, 2016, 3:30 AM
Rumours of J Evans on the move as well?

Wonder if Pulis might go in for McNair

MikeHunt
August 1st, 2016, 3:58 AM
Rodgers is apparently very interested in McNair.

son_of_foley
August 1st, 2016, 4:06 AM
He's very good and I like his face

Peter Griffin
August 1st, 2016, 5:10 AM
Pulis spending on the worst striker in the league is so perfect. Baggies are going dowwwwn.

Giroud is going to WBA?

Gary J
August 1st, 2016, 5:20 AM
If hal Robson kanus chooses to live in Hull ahead of Madrid or seville he's a retard.

No offense Gary

If he chooses to come to us rather then any other fucking option he's a retard. Not that I really want him anyway as he's not that good.

Even Diame who moaned all last season about wanting to play in the premiership is fucking off back to the championship to Newcastle it seems. Says it all about the current state of the club.

Mik
August 1st, 2016, 5:27 AM
Giroud is going to WBA?

Hahaha, that's your best ever post Peter.

Canuck
August 7th, 2016, 11:30 AM
Pogba medical at United?

Romford Pele
August 8th, 2016, 6:57 AM
Is that a statement or a question?

Canuck
August 8th, 2016, 1:42 PM
It was a question at the time.

Simon
August 9th, 2016, 11:33 AM
The £7m Barnsley get from the Stones deal is their biggest ever transfer income :lol:

RuneEdge
August 10th, 2016, 5:56 AM
Man Utd apparently agreed to sell Donald Love and Paddy McNair to Sunderland for £6m. Various stories claiming they still want Januzaj and Fellaini too.
It's almost like cashing in your old phones at CEX. :yes:

Mik
August 10th, 2016, 6:00 AM
Yeah, hopefully just because they aren't cutting it at man Utd doesn't mean that they wouldn't be able to cut it at a team who just doesn't want to be battling relegation. Sadly it looks like we are preparing for the inevitable sale of lamine Kone (who is both great and also absolutely loves the club) to Everton or Chelsea.

Gary J
August 10th, 2016, 6:22 AM
Does Januzaj actually offer anything other then the chance he might win a penalty by diving?

I think apart from that game against Sunderland after which it seemed every national team wanted him that's all he seems to have done in every game I've seen him in.

RuneEdge
August 10th, 2016, 7:03 AM
Januzaj has some potential, but a number of things seem to be holding him back like lack of game time, the position he's played in, etc. He wants to play behind the striker but never gets a chance there.
Having said that, I don't think he tries hard enough anymore. He seems like the kind of player who needs more focus and attention from his manager before he could be arsed to work. The only person who ever gave him that was Moyes. Even when we went out on loan to BVB he rarely played, with "his head not being in the right place" being the reason for his lack of game time.
Depending of the price, he'd definitely be a good buy. It's just at United the squad is stacked with players who play in his position. I'm kinda worried Andreas Pereira will be the next to ago, who's another gifted young kid who can't an opportunity to break through.

El Capitano Gatisto
August 10th, 2016, 7:05 AM
Januzaj has had plenty of opportunities, he's just shite.

son_of_foley
August 10th, 2016, 8:57 AM
Cant wait until United have to pay 120m to sign McNair back. Gorgeous hunk of a man

RuneEdge
August 10th, 2016, 9:43 AM
Januzaj has had plenty of opportunities, he's just shite.
You mean the 10 to 15 starts over 3 seasons and two different clubs? :wtf:

EDIT
I mean two seasons. But still... :wtf:

El Capitano Gatisto
August 10th, 2016, 10:18 AM
Yes. He's been fucking crap. If he was any good, he would have started more games. Dortmund cut his loan short because he wasn't good enough to get in their team and his attitude stunk the place up. Apart from scoring a few goals against Sunderland, he has absolutely flattered to deceive. A few nice touches, but otherwise lightweight, not quick enough, indecisive and often uninterested. He's just not that good a player.

How many games do players need? How many games can a player expect at a big club like United?

Mik
August 10th, 2016, 10:24 AM
I suppose he isn't expecting many more, which is why he's probably going to a team more on the level of someone like Sunderland.

RuneEdge
August 10th, 2016, 10:37 AM
Yes. He's been fucking crap. If he was any good, he would have started more games. Dortmund cut his loan short because he wasn't good enough to get in their team and his attitude stunk the place up. Apart from scoring a few goals against Sunderland, he has absolutely flattered to deceive. A few nice touches, but otherwise lightweight, not quick enough, indecisive and often uninterested. He's just not that good a player.

How many games do players need? How many games can a player expect at a big club like United?
Is he a top quality player? Of course not. Or else he would be starting for Man Utd. So I'm not denying any of those things you just said. I already pointed out that his head wasnt in the right place according to BVB. I'm answering the question of whether it would be a good move for Sunderland (where I also said it depended on price).
In which case, he's not "just shite".

Peter Griffin
August 10th, 2016, 10:39 AM
He's only going to Sunderland on loan I think.

Romford Pele
August 10th, 2016, 10:42 AM
Sunderland seems to be the knackers yard for not good enough/past it United players.

Mik
August 10th, 2016, 12:04 PM
Yup. Have been for years and years. Its an odd thing.

El Capitano Gatisto
August 10th, 2016, 4:32 PM
I suppose he isn't expecting many more, which is why he's probably going to a team more on the level of someone like Sunderland.

The problem with Januzaj is that a number of different coaches have publically questioned his attitude. Sunderland already have enough history of players with a modicum of ability but a terrible attitude. Maybe Moyes thinks he can turn him around again. Seems doubtful however. He's just not a good enough player to put up with it either, as Dortmund decided fairly quickly.

Mik
August 10th, 2016, 7:06 PM
Aye but a modicum of ability and a bad work ethic/attitude is often better than what we tend to get. Often there isn't even a suggestion that our transfers have ability.

RuneEdge
August 12th, 2016, 8:09 AM
So it's done then. Januzaj moves on a one year loan.

Simon
August 12th, 2016, 11:19 AM
Looks very likely that, having sorted out our incomings early, we're going to see a few players leave the club. Bentaleb seems the most likely - quite surprised as he's got more natural talent than Mason or Carroll and seems a more natural stand-in for the robust, physical game that Dembele plays, but apparently Pochettino doesn't fancy him. There's a potentially fantastic player in there though, and he's still only 21.

Others who could leave: Chadli, Yedlin, N'Jie, and one of Mason and Carroll.

Also a large number of youth players have been given squad numbers this season, far more than usual so Poch presumably has a few players he wants to see with a view to the future. As well as obvious ones like McGee, Onomah and Winks, we've seen Glover, Whiteman, Walker-Peters, Carter-Vickers, Walkes, Amos, Miller, Harrison and Edwards all given numbers. Probably a waste of time listing those names as most of you will know nothing about them, but Walker-Peters, Carter-Vickers, Harrison and particularly Edwards are all very highly-rated. Could be a big season for Winks too - there are rumours he might even start for us tomorrow ahead of Mason/Carroll/Bentaleb.

BBF
August 12th, 2016, 11:26 AM
Carter-Vickers will start for you tomorrow.

Simon
August 12th, 2016, 11:31 AM
Doubt it - Vertonghen's been included following his injury but if he doesn't make it I think it's more likely that Dier goes into the back four with Winks coming into midfield alongside Wanyama. Wouldn't be against CCV though, he looked decent in pre-season (although from what I saw Walkes looked better than him, despite being nowhere near as highly rated).

BBF
August 12th, 2016, 11:47 AM
He played every minute of your pre season. It's him or Wimmer at centre back and Wimmer is short of minutes.

Simon
August 12th, 2016, 11:51 AM
Vertonghen's in the squad.

Chris Scott
August 12th, 2016, 3:01 PM
No Brit Assombalonga for Forest, wonder where he's going?

Romford Pele
August 12th, 2016, 3:26 PM
You are gonna smash us on sun CS

Peter Griffin
August 12th, 2016, 3:47 PM
No Brit Assombalonga for Forest, wonder where he's going?

Norwich is what i'm hearing.

Peter Griffin
August 12th, 2016, 3:48 PM

You are winding us up at this point right? :squint:

Romford Pele
August 12th, 2016, 4:34 PM
Why?

Chris Scott
August 13th, 2016, 8:20 AM

Nah, for me when it comes to down to first game it's anyone's to win.

Simon
August 13th, 2016, 10:48 AM
Carter-Vickers will start for you tomorrow.

Alright mate.

BBF
August 13th, 2016, 10:49 AM
Sorry Carter-Vickers SHOUDL start for you tomorrow. Vertonghen has been shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiityknickers.

BBF
August 15th, 2016, 2:44 PM
APPAZ Sturridge is done at Liverpool. Arsenal???

Chris Scott
August 15th, 2016, 3:23 PM
Where did you hear/read that?

The Beer Monster
August 15th, 2016, 3:37 PM
APPAZ Sturridge is done at Liverpool. Arsenal???

Injury prone striker? Sounds like our sort of player.

Andy
August 17th, 2016, 4:14 PM
A few sources saying Liverpool are now in for Mustafi. The atmosphere's going to get toxic if we don't have a defender in by the next home game and put in another gutless performance.

Romford Pele
August 17th, 2016, 4:17 PM
Joke club

Mik
August 17th, 2016, 9:10 PM
Get back in your fucking thread.

Peter Griffin
August 18th, 2016, 12:06 PM
If wolves sign Balotelli I will eat my proverbial hat.

Simon
August 18th, 2016, 12:12 PM

:lol:

Simon
August 19th, 2016, 5:17 AM
Why are Sunderland selling Kaboul Mik? Seemed like he was instrumental to keeping you up last season. Dangerous game, especially if Kone manages to push his way out as well.

The Rosk
August 19th, 2016, 5:54 AM

Ahohsihaihahia

Mik
August 19th, 2016, 6:40 AM
Why are Sunderland selling Kaboul Mik? Seemed like he was instrumental to keeping you up last season. Dangerous game, especially if Kone manages to push his way out as well.

I dunno at all. The fans don't want him to go and I haven't heard anything about why they would want to sell him. It's not going to bring a lot of money in. According to the statement from the player and the club it's due to personal reasons and he has thanked the club for being so understanding. But I don't know what personal reasons could make you want to move from Sunderland to Watford unless his family just haven't settled up here or something.

Simon
August 19th, 2016, 8:03 AM
Could well be, Watford's obviously close to where he would have lived at Spurs and easy to get to France on days off. I'd make a joke about any normal person struggling to settle in Sunderland but Watford is a shithole too.

RuneEdge
August 19th, 2016, 9:29 AM
Sunderland have signed Steven Pienaar.

El Capitano Gatisto
August 19th, 2016, 9:42 AM
Moyes is such a dickhead. All this bollocks about iPads and scouting databases and the first thing he does is sign some has-beens and never-weres from his old clubs.

Simon
August 19th, 2016, 9:44 AM
Guardiola has confirmed Hart can go.

RuneEdge
August 19th, 2016, 9:48 AM
All this bollocks about iPads and scouting databases
What's this about?

El Capitano Gatisto
August 19th, 2016, 9:50 AM
All the shit when he took over at United about updating their scouting network with a bunker full of iPads with all the latest statistics. Then he goes after Fellaini and Leighton Baines, then at Sunderland he goes after a load of United players and signs a semi-retired ex-Everton player.

MMH
August 19th, 2016, 10:15 AM
Moyes is a footballing dinosaur. Has been for about 5-6 years now.

Simon
August 24th, 2016, 7:06 AM
Juventus are signing Matuidi for €30m...a better player than Pogba IMO, for a third of the price...not bad.

El Capitano Gatisto
August 24th, 2016, 8:38 AM
Matuidi is not better than Pogba. Come on, the qualifer "IMO" isn't enough for that call. He's a good player but he's just a big fast tank.

Juventus have done well however in building their squad and re-modelling the midfield in the past couple of years. Unfortunately each big signing further confirms that Serie A is a complete foregone conclusion like France and Germany now.

Simon
August 24th, 2016, 8:51 AM
That's a weird description of Matuidi, he's lightning quick but he's not big by any means, he's only 5'9" and not particularly strong. I think he's a better player, not because I think Pogba's shit or anything I just think Matuidi is absolute class. As I mentioned a while ago the money issue is basically irrelevant because Pogba pays for himself, but I'd rather have Matuidi on football terms...Pogba is capable of brilliance and hopefully one day will be a proper football superstar, but Matuidi is consistently excellent, he's not as exciting to watch but his engine is ridiculous and he's great technically too. I know I'm probably in the minority on this but I think Matuidi is absolute class. When you think that they've got Pjanic in as well, they're definitely a better team having lost Pogba (I know this wasn't the original argument).

El Capitano Gatisto
August 24th, 2016, 9:47 AM
Is he consistently excellent? He's consistently very good at what he does, which is get up and down the pitch quickly, tackle hard and add muscle to midfield. He is known for his strength and tackling ability. Pogba is a player with all of that plus enormous technical ability, a strong ball carrier, a great range of passing and can be a match-winner (or potential match-winner). They are different players, but mainly because Pogba has much more to his game as a box-to-box midfielder and skillful play-maker in one package. Added to that, Pogba is a few years younger and the potential is there for him to become one of the best in the world. Ultimately I think PSG have struggled in the latter stages of the CL at times because of the limited technical ability of some of their midfielders, including Matuidi. I also think France looked very blunt at the Euros because they gave Matuidi and Sissoko more license to get forward while Pogba was limited to a defensive role. Both were impressive going back towards their own goal, but limited going forward, while Pogba wasn't in the areas where he can do damage.

Simon
August 24th, 2016, 10:16 AM
Yeah if you're looking at potential then Pogba obviously has a higher ceiling than Matuidi, if he gets the best out of himself he can be the player he's hyped as, one of the most complete midfielders around. But as of right now I think Matuidi is the player that gives you more. I wouldn't pay much attention to the Euros, Sissoko was the best of the three by miles despite being useless for Newcastle.

One thing that struck me about Pogba the other day is how strong he is despite being very thin for a modern footballer. I know he's tall but he's built almost like Crouch rather than Zidane or Ibra. I'm really excited to see how he does at United because I do think he could be sensational. I don't think it's even an attitude thing, he works hard and seems like a dedicated pro...just doesn't always dominate the way he should.

Rip
August 24th, 2016, 1:19 PM
Yedlin confirmed £5m on a 5 year deal, Janmaat to Watford for £7.5m, happy with that overall, Janmaat can be good going forward but is an absolute liability at the back and goes missing when the game isn't going his way

Simon
August 24th, 2016, 1:26 PM
Mik will be able to confirm or deny this but it seemed to me like Yedlin improved massively last year after looking totally out of his depth when he was with us. Hope he does well.

RuneEdge
August 24th, 2016, 3:10 PM
Yeah if you're looking at potential then Pogba obviously has a higher ceiling than Matuidi, if he gets the best out of himself he can be the player he's hyped as, one of the most complete midfielders around. But as of right now I think Matuidi is the player that gives you more. I wouldn't pay much attention to the Euros, Sissoko was the best of the three by miles despite being useless for Newcastle.

In what way do you think Matuidi gives you more? From what I've seen (and admittedly very little), both Pogba and Matuidi play similar roles (basically box to box), except Pogba is clearly more technically gifted, has more goals in him, and can also play at #10.

Simon
August 24th, 2016, 6:59 PM
Matuidi is a more intelligent player is what it comes down to - isn't capable of some of the things Pogba can give you , but consistently makes the right decisions and works for the benefit of the team.

MikeHunt
August 25th, 2016, 5:41 AM
Listen to Josť's boy here.

Simon
August 25th, 2016, 9:56 AM
BBC reckons we've bid for Zaha :no:

Murphy
August 25th, 2016, 10:00 AM
Yeah, what the hell is that all about? Has he even done anything for Palace, besides the year they were promoted? 23 now and £15m. Don't get it, myself.

Simon
August 25th, 2016, 10:07 AM
The £15m tag is probably about right for a player of his level, I just don't think he's good enough for us. Presumably Poch thinks he would give us the directness that we lack at the moment...but he isn't very good.

Murphy
August 25th, 2016, 10:30 AM
Fair point on the fee.

MMH
August 25th, 2016, 11:17 AM
The talent is there. Maybe Pochettino thinks he can get the best out of him?

Simon
August 25th, 2016, 11:19 AM
Is the talent there? He's quick, strong, and direct, but it's not like he's sometimes brilliant but very inconsistent like Bolasie, he's pretty much consistently average - looks like he might do something special, but never does. Hopefully I'm wrong on him because this link has picked up pace in the past couple of hours and now seems like it might happen.

RuneEdge
August 25th, 2016, 3:27 PM
Matuidi is a more intelligent player is what it comes down to - isn't capable of some of the things Pogba can give you , but consistently makes the right decisions and works for the benefit of the team.

Again, I'll point out that I havent watched much of the two players over the last few years, but when you compare the two and you look at things like the fact that Pogba gets you more goals, more assists, (also apparently gets more MOTM awards), and actually makes the UEFA Team of the Year, I'm not sure how what Matuidi gives you can be worth more than all the things I said.

Regarding the Zaha/Spurs link, if it happens, its clearly for squad depth. You've got CL, League, FA Cup and the League Cup to worry about, and I guess Pochettino probably wants to have a serious go at all of the them. I guess that's one of the things that separates the real top teams from the ones who want people to believe they are but aren't quite there.
And here's something I saw a few months ago that was a bit surprising.

http://news.images.itv.com/image/file/958513/stream_img.jpg

To me that suggests there's some talent there that maybe the right manager could make the most of.

Simon
August 25th, 2016, 3:34 PM
There's no doubt he's got the ability to beat players, but he has no final ball. Aaron Lennon was one of the best players I've ever seen for taking a defender on, but he rarely set goals up because his crossing was so shit, and he had an awful scoring record too. Zaha's a more complete player than Lennon in attack (though he lacks Lennon's work rate and defensive ability) but he still doesn't do much. He's exciting but not incisive. He would give us a pacy option that we currently lack in attack though.

Mik
August 26th, 2016, 5:23 AM
Mik will be able to confirm or deny this but it seemed to me like Yedlin improved massively last year after looking totally out of his depth when he was with us. Hope he does well.

He was great the last half a dozen games or so. I wanted us to resign him, but clearly that's not happening. This season is fucked.

Simon
August 26th, 2016, 7:48 AM
Mason's going to Hull. Think he'll be a good player for them, shame he's leaving as he always puts a shift in and is a better footballer than people realise, but it's understandable that he wants regular football at this point of his career. Love that Hull are making such strong attempts to become my second team by simply filling the side full of ex-Spurs players.

The Rosk
August 29th, 2016, 12:57 PM
Lescott going to AEK Athens a week after turning Rangers down on the day after his medical due to not wanting to move his family too far. Fucking scumbag.

Gary J
August 29th, 2016, 5:14 PM
Mason's going to Hull. Think he'll be a good player for them, shame he's leaving as he always puts a shift in and is a better footballer than people realise, but it's understandable that he wants regular football at this point of his career. Love that Hull are making such strong attempts to become my second team by simply filling the side full of ex-Spurs players.

This fills me with a bit more optimism over this signing as whenever I've seen Mason I've not been impressed (admittedly not a great number of times)

But yeah our transfer policy does seem to be sign Spurs players , Liverpool targets from a few seasons ago or Man Utd / Arsenal youngsters on loan.

MikeHunt
August 29th, 2016, 5:27 PM
Lescott going to AEK Athens a week after turning Rangers down on the day after his medical due to not wanting to move his family too far. Fucking scumbag.

to be fair, I wouldn't want to play for us either :(

Andy
August 29th, 2016, 6:11 PM
Interested to see where Wilshere ends up. Southampton seems like a good fit.

Beefy
August 29th, 2016, 6:14 PM
Would they not add 15m and swap him for Sturridge? Seems to make sense for both teams and he'd thrive under Klopp.

BBF
August 29th, 2016, 6:44 PM
he'll go to West ham surely?

Simon
August 29th, 2016, 7:01 PM
What difference does it make, wherever he goes he'll play about six games all season.

MikeHunt
August 29th, 2016, 7:16 PM
Could Celtic be a possible destination. He gets European football for a bit and would play every game if he was fit.

El Capitano Gatisto
August 29th, 2016, 7:33 PM
If Spurs don't get a couple of forwards in soon they have fucked another transfer window just at the wrong time, as so often they do. They should really just pay up for Berahino because Jansen already looks dogs dirt. They need some pace going forward, as Pochetino has suggested, but it seems Levy is still bent on being seen as this tough negotiator. Going for mediocre mid-range players like Zaha isn't going to keep Spurs challenging or capitalise on being in the Champions League.

Andy
August 29th, 2016, 8:39 PM
Could Celtic be a possible destination. He gets European football for a bit and would play every game if he was fit.

Suppose it depends how much of his wages we want the club to play and what sort of level they want him to be playing at. Rumours of Juve being interested. Hopefully he can stay fit anyway.

MikeHunt
August 29th, 2016, 9:43 PM
Suppose it depends how much of his wages we want the club to play and what sort of level they want him to be playing at. Rumours of Juve being interested. Hopefully he can stay fit anyway.

he looks like a scumbag so would fit in well.

Simon
August 30th, 2016, 3:52 AM
If Spurs don't get a couple of forwards in soon they have fucked another transfer window just at the wrong time, as so often they do. They should really just pay up for Berahino because Jansen already looks dogs dirt. They need some pace going forward, as Pochetino has suggested, but it seems Levy is still bent on being seen as this tough negotiator. Going for mediocre mid-range players like Zaha isn't going to keep Spurs challenging or capitalise on being in the Champions League.

Janssen is going to be great. We're signing this Marseille guy that we agreed a fee for a month ago and has been training with us ever since...never seem him play but he's a quick wide man.

Andy
August 30th, 2016, 5:53 AM
Very surprised and disappointed that we seem to be letting Gnabry go having already let Campbell leave. Now we're suddenly very short out wide.

son_of_foley
August 30th, 2016, 5:55 AM
You're some lad Andy.

So if this allows Iwobi to come through properly you'll admit you got it wrong?

I remember this being a pretty similar situation with Bellerin when Jenkinson went out as they were clearly clearing a path for Bellerin to the team I feel it's likely the same for Iwobi

Andy
August 30th, 2016, 5:58 AM
Iwobi is coming through anyway and I'm happy with that. I just think it leaves us very short if(!) we get any injuries.

Simon
August 30th, 2016, 5:59 AM
Iwobi was already ahead of Gnabry and Campbell though, he started most games in the second half of last season and the first game of this season before his injury.

son_of_foley
August 30th, 2016, 6:02 AM
Iwobi was already ahead of Gnabry and Campbell though, he started most games in the second half of last season and the first game of this season before his injury.

Campbell played 30 games last season I would argue he was definitely ahead of Iwobi last season and if they two were there now I would expect he still would be

Simon
August 30th, 2016, 6:11 AM
I think Iwobi basically replaced him as a regular starter some time early this year, he started all of their league games from the end of February according to Soccerbase.

son_of_foley
August 30th, 2016, 6:12 AM
Gnarby is going to behind how many players? Maybe Jeff Reine-Adelaide is better in that role as 8th or 9th choice as a wide player whilst Gnarby can go and play this year in Germany away from Tony Pullis. I honestly am not sure what you're expecting there's a squad of what 30 people currently listed by Arsenal before the 2 new signings. Assuming a few go out on loan that's still a pretty reasonable squad right?

Andy
August 30th, 2016, 6:17 AM
Well I was expecting him to play a lot more, especially given how good he was at the Olympics. I'd expect Chambers, Wilshere, Akpom and one of Jenkinson or Debuchy to leave so the numbers will be fine.

Simon
August 30th, 2016, 6:19 AM
I can understand why loaning out both Gnabry and Campbell seems weird right now - one or the other, sure...you might be right that they're looking to promote another youth team player, but there hasn't been anyone else skirting around the fringes of the side recently has there? Akpom has been on the bench so far this season and AFAIK Sanogo is back, so maybe the plan is to use this Perez bloke as one of the wide attackers rather than as a leading striker (although from what I've read he had his breakthrough season at quite a late age last season playing as an out-and-out striker :dunno:...)

Andy
August 30th, 2016, 6:30 AM
Fucking hell I forgot about Sanogo.

Simon
August 30th, 2016, 7:21 AM
Sunderland have just sold Lens...one of the few players who has looked decent so far this season. Poor Mik.

Romford Pele
August 30th, 2016, 7:28 AM
Well I was expecting him to play a lot more, especially given how good he was at the Olympics. I'd expect Chambers, Wilshere, Akpom and one of Jenkinson or Debuchy to leave so the numbers will be fine.

Jenkinson is injured so he wont. If Debuchy goes it will mean no right back cover for Bellerin unless Kos goes there.

Maybe Reine-Adelaide will be in the mix this season and that is why both have gone. It is a shame about Campbell though, I don't think he got a fair chance really.

Pleased that Chambers is going on loan, he deserves some games and is obviously down the pecking order now. Wilshere is a funny one though, I would have kept him around.

Simon
August 30th, 2016, 10:21 AM
Joe Hart's gone to Torino. Fair play to him, I thought he'd be too up himself to go abroad or to a lower level side.

Murphy
August 30th, 2016, 10:37 AM
First English 'keeper to ever play in Serie A. :yes:

Simon
August 30th, 2016, 11:17 AM
Apparently we're trying to sign Isco. I would cream my knickers.

MMH
August 30th, 2016, 11:18 AM
First English 'keeper to ever play in Serie A. :yes:

I cant think of many goalkeepers to go and play abroad actually.

Peter Griffin
August 30th, 2016, 11:19 AM
:scared:

Peter Griffin
August 30th, 2016, 11:19 AM
I cant think of many goalkeepers to go and play abroad actually.

My main man Scott Carson :D

Murphy
August 30th, 2016, 11:21 AM
Apparently we're trying to sign Isco. I would cream my knickers.

I've seen it mentioned a couple of times too. Would be quite the signal of intent.

MMH
August 30th, 2016, 11:21 AM
My main man Scott Carson :D

I know Wigan is a bit backwards but it isnt abroad...

Aye, Bursaspor wasnt it? Pretty rare though.

I think loads more players should play abroad.

MMH
August 30th, 2016, 11:22 AM
Strong Rumours of us signing James Rodriguez up here.

We will probably end up with Jay Rodriguez.

Which wouldnt be too bad come to think of it...

Simon
August 30th, 2016, 11:24 AM
Strong Rumours of us signing James Rodriguez up here.

Makes more sense that he would leave than Isco, who played more often under Zidane last year. As Murphy just said about Isco to us, it would be an incredible move for Everton to show where they want to be. I'd imagine you'd be paying at least £50m, if not significantly more.

Peter Griffin
August 30th, 2016, 11:26 AM
I know Wigan is a bit backwards but it isnt abroad...

Aye, Bursaspor wasnt it? Pretty rare though.

I think loads more players should play abroad.

Aye Bursaspor it was, I feel like there was another English GK that went to Turkey but I cant think. If we are counting all Brits Roy Carroll went to play in Denmark then to olympiacos in Greece.

The Rosk
August 30th, 2016, 11:27 AM
born 1821, died 1881.

Simon
August 30th, 2016, 11:35 AM
Six legs eight legs

Peter Griffin
August 30th, 2016, 11:37 AM
What is happening?

Simon
August 30th, 2016, 11:39 AM
Different drinks for different...needs

MMH
August 30th, 2016, 11:40 AM
Makes more sense that he would leave than Isco, who played more often under Zidane last year. As Murphy just said about Isco to us, it would be an incredible move for Everton to show where they want to be. I'd imagine you'd be paying at least £50m, if not significantly more.

Allegedly there was a 100M budget there before the transfer window opened and we have spent none of it yet because of the Stones sale so who knows...

Simon
August 30th, 2016, 12:23 PM
This fills me with a bit more optimism over this signing as whenever I've seen Mason I've not been impressed (admittedly not a great number of times)

But yeah our transfer policy does seem to be sign Spurs players , Liverpool targets from a few seasons ago or Man Utd / Arsenal youngsters on loan.

We've just confirmed this deal on our website. Hope he does well for you, one thing you can guarantee is that he'll work his knackers off.

Darkoke
August 30th, 2016, 1:02 PM
Aye Bursaspor it was, I feel like there was another English GK that went to Turkey but I cant think. If we are counting all Brits Roy Carroll went to play in Denmark then to olympiacos in Greece.

Alan McGregor also played in Turkey, he's Scottish but maybe who you're thinking of.

Peter Griffin
August 30th, 2016, 1:03 PM
Yeh that's the one :yes:

RuneEdge
August 30th, 2016, 5:25 PM
So about 7 years ago, Chelsea signed Nemanja Matic. Then they gave away Matic plus cash to sign David Luiz. Then they re-signed Matic. Then they sold David Luiz. And now they're apparently trying to re-sign David Luiz. :lol: :yes:

I guess next summer they offer Everton Luiz plus cash for Lukaku, to keep the cycle going.

Mik
August 30th, 2016, 7:11 PM
Sunderland have just sold Lens...one of the few players who has looked decent so far this season. Poor Mik.

Its difficult to know what's going on. We've been rejected by at least ten players or clubs in the last couple of days. It all looks an absolute mess.

son_of_foley
August 31st, 2016, 3:41 AM
Sissoko will leave Newcastle today. Rumours of a 16m bid for him sounds a bit low tbh with the market as it is but reckon he'll go. I always thought he would leave on a loan and everyone would be a bit sheepish about the 35m asking price thing. They are saying MORE incomings at Newcastle if he goes which is fucking mental. That squad will be a fucking mess even if they go up because what the fuck are you going to do with Daryll Murphy in the premiership.

Ayew must be leaving Villa today as well surely they cant just spend the money they've spent on strikers with nobody leaving?

Hendrick away for his medical at Burnley.

Looks like its going to be pretty busy. I think the removal of the emergency loan stuff (that has happened right?) should see a much busier window for the football league

son_of_foley
August 31st, 2016, 3:42 AM
Also if Jack Wilshire has really turned down Benfica/Sporting Lisbon to sign for Bournemouth or Crystal Palace he's a fucking mongo

RFF Champ
August 31st, 2016, 3:43 AM
He'd be perfect for Bournemouth.

son_of_foley
August 31st, 2016, 3:51 AM
It's a temporary move though so why not go and try something a bit riskier and a different culture?

Beefy
August 31st, 2016, 3:53 AM
Because Portugal is a shit standard probably. Spain or Italy would have been ideal, France at a push. No one benefits from him going to Portugal.

son_of_foley
August 31st, 2016, 3:56 AM
He does because he gets to go play regularly in a different league that maybe isn't going to be as physical. Let's not forget his dribbling style in this league is part of the problem.

Beefy
August 31st, 2016, 3:59 AM
To be honest when the list of clubs came out yesterday that he was rumoured to be choosing from those two did stand out to me as the ones he should go to for the reasons you said but the more I think about it the more I think he's better off staying in England playing in a higher standard of football than taking a nice year in the sun strolling through games.

Its incredible that his agent can't get him even a mid-table Spanish side.

son_of_foley
August 31st, 2016, 4:07 AM
Whenever you consider that the rumours before were of Barca and Bayern etc being interested yeah it's pretty astounding

Beefy
August 31st, 2016, 4:13 AM
He should really follow the career path he had in my FM08 game - £25m move to Everton then £35m move to Southend where he captains two Champions League winning sides.

son_of_foley
August 31st, 2016, 4:15 AM
I don't think Southend would be allowed to just replay any game they lost though Beefy

Beefy
August 31st, 2016, 4:28 AM
If it is less than three times it doesn't count as cheating.

Beefy
August 31st, 2016, 4:36 AM
The Guardian are suggesting that Wilshere has offers from the bottom half of the Premiership (Arsenal won't loan him to anyone they consider as a rival for a top four spot), Celtic, Roma and Valencia. But that with a young family he might lean towards Bournemouth, Palace or Watford.

Simon
August 31st, 2016, 5:22 AM
Looking like it might be an exciting deadline day for the first time in ages :eek:

BBF
August 31st, 2016, 5:23 AM
No additional loan window means clubs might be a bit mental.

Mik
August 31st, 2016, 5:33 AM
We are doing the very definition of panic transfer window shopping.

Simon
August 31st, 2016, 5:34 AM
You mean £17m for household name Didier Ndong might not represent good value?

Mik
August 31st, 2016, 5:35 AM
I'm not sure we'll actually buy anyone. That's why it's panic window shopping.

MMH
August 31st, 2016, 5:51 AM
Because Portugal is a shit standard probably. Spain or Italy would have been ideal, France at a push. No one benefits from him going to Portugal.

Eric Dier? He did alright there. I reckon it would be fine going there however there is the chance of him being forgotten about there.

He will be retired by the time he is 26 anyway.

The Rosk
August 31st, 2016, 5:57 AM
I hear Ayew is going back to Marseille. Fine to get rid of him, he looks like his mind is elsewhere and he's missed about ten chances already this season. We've got Kodjia/Gestede/McCormack which should be more than enough firepower up top for the Championship, not even taking Kozak/Gabby/RHM into consideration.

RFF Champ
August 31st, 2016, 6:55 AM

There are La Liga sides without a single international player in their first eleven.

Beefy
August 31st, 2016, 6:56 AM
I'm sure there are but it is more about the level of competition that he'd be playing against.

RFF Champ
August 31st, 2016, 6:59 AM
It's a temporary move though so why not go and try something a bit riskier and a different culture?

What's the point just for a risk? Why do you think he'd develop more as players abroad than in the Premier League? It's not working out very well for the Chelsea boys being sent to Vitesse. The cultural benefit is they play a few new golf courses. In any case they already play in a multicultural city, it's not like they'd be leaving some Welsh village for the first time. They stay in temporary accomodation, know they're going home soon. The coaching isn't better, the league isn't a great standard.