PDA

View Full Version : The Transfer Rumours Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64

Ringo
September 1st, 2015, 12:18 PM
CRYPTIC.

son_of_foley
September 1st, 2015, 12:19 PM
Pete O'Rourke – ‏@SportsPeteO

Derby County have agreed a deal to sign Norwich City midfielder Bradley Johnson. #dcfc #ncfc #DeadlineDay http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2015/09/01/derby-agree-deal-for-norwichs-johnson/ …

But hitc are awful for accuracy

_me
September 1st, 2015, 12:36 PM
Can someone with a better history of the Premier League tell me some examples of teams forcing a player to stay when they want to leave and it working out well? It seems lose-lose-lose.

1. You have a player who is upset at not getting their new contract,
2. Teammates who are mad at their still teammate (for being selfish and hurting their season) but also mad at the team for stopping the player from getting more money. (If they will do that to them, why not me if I have a good season?)
3. The team gets a player going thru the motions since they don't want to be there.

son_of_foley
September 1st, 2015, 12:52 PM
Suarez stayed for a year
Gerrard was made to stay a few times
Ronaldo was told to wait a year as well wasn't he

Rooney..We might gloss over that

RFF Champ
September 1st, 2015, 1:09 PM
Pete O'Rourke – ‏@SportsPeteO

Derby County have agreed a deal to sign Norwich City midfielder Bradley Johnson. #dcfc #ncfc #DeadlineDay http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2015/09/01/derby-agree-deal-for-norwichs-johnson/ …

But hitc are awful for accuracy

Talksport are saying it's done too!

_me
September 1st, 2015, 1:11 PM
Suarez stayed for a year
Gerrard was made to stay a few times
Ronaldo was told to wait a year as well wasn't he

Rooney..We might gloss over that
I didn't think Suarez or Gerrard ever wanted to leave. They had multiple bids but they were content to stay. But could easily be wrong.

Ronaldo - I could see fitting. I don't remember reading about it getting personal between United and him but I wasn't watching then. It helps that he is one of the top 2 or 3 players of the last 20 years so even a 75% Ronaldo was still the best player on the field.

Rooney fits it seems. Like you said, it's complicated. Reminds me of Kobe and the Lakers. Multiple time he threatens to quit but they keep giving him more money and power and now they probably wish they had cashed out but their reputation makes it hard to walk away.

RFF Champ
September 1st, 2015, 1:18 PM
Really surprised Norwich have sold him with no replacement. He held his own at that level under Lambert, player of the season last season after scoring 15 goals.

Chris
September 1st, 2015, 1:25 PM
I know Arsenal fans get ridiculed on here for moaning, but I think they have every reason to be upset about the lack of business this summer. Since the season started, their closest rivals are looking shaky or actively stumbling. This is surely their best chance in years to push for second, and even push all the way to the top with a bit of luck.

Andy
September 1st, 2015, 1:29 PM
Massively disappointing if unsurprising window from Arsenal. The chance to push for the league was there but we simply haven't taken it. City have improved, Chelsea in theory have improved, Liverpool have improved and Man United have improved. Fight for fourth seems likely when an investment of more than 11m could've seen us challenge for the title.

Hlebsfall
September 1st, 2015, 1:30 PM
It must bother the players as well. Surely the decent ones know they have no chance, so they're going to start half arsing it in as well. There must come a point for the likes of Sanchez when having to work with a fucking carthorse like Giroud just wears you down. I know Arsenal dick around when it comes to transfers, but not bringing a single outfield player in is a fucking shambles.

Romford Pele
September 1st, 2015, 1:41 PM
As I have said before, we will not win the league again until Wenger leaves. He is under no pressure from he board as long as they get CL football.

Hopefully he leaves at the end of his contract. That may sound ungrateful but the fact is we have not challenged for the title in over a decade now, and that is not good enough considering what they charge the fans.

RFF Champ
September 1st, 2015, 1:43 PM
We're about 90 minutes away from having only one striker until January.

Berbatov on a free maybe?

MMH
September 1st, 2015, 1:47 PM
I really hope Berahino does play again for WBA and I hope someone snaps him in half whilst doing it.

Cheeky cunt needs to remember where he has come from. I'm a lot more angry than I should be about him!

Chris
September 1st, 2015, 1:48 PM
I wonder if Arsenal need to actually fall out of the top four at the end of the season to instil a bit of panic. All of the TV pundits tonight were talking about how Arsene likes to remain above the fray during the deadline madness. But prices are only going to go up, so if he's not willing to make moves now he's surely going to balk at what's happening a year or two from now.

Romford Pele
September 1st, 2015, 1:54 PM
I really hope Berahino does play again for WBA and I hope someone snaps him in half whilst doing it.

Cheeky cunt needs to remember where he has come from. I'm a lot more angry than I should be about him!

Just like me and Martinez then! :)

MMH
September 1st, 2015, 1:56 PM
Just like me and Martinez then! :)

No you are just being stupid to be fair!

Seriously though, he gets paid more in a week then a lot of the people who pay to see him get in a year. I cant stand people like that. Do your fucking job.

Romford Pele
September 1st, 2015, 1:58 PM
Haha!

Well it does seem petulant for sure. Maybe promises were made, we don't know at this stage.

Also, what is he 21? Not excusing it but we have all done stupid shit at that age.

MMH
September 1st, 2015, 2:04 PM
He was happy to sign his contract when he did. He didnt get his move, tough, get on with it.

The lad is an arrogant idiot.

_me
September 1st, 2015, 2:28 PM
No you are just being stupid to be fair!

Seriously though, he gets paid more in a week then a lot of the people who pay to see him get in a year. I cant stand people like that. Do your fucking job.
While all that is true, if a competitor to your employer came in and tried to double your salary to work for them, would you want to go too? And wouldn't you be mad at your employer if they prevented it over the minor details?

MMH
September 1st, 2015, 3:17 PM
While all that is true, if a competitor to your employer came in and tried to double your salary to work for them, would you want to go too? And wouldn't you be mad at your employer if they prevented it over the minor details?

Well it was only a matter of time before this was brought up.

Its not a proper job, in no way is it similar to any employment that I could get, we dont sign contracts in the real world and we still have to work our notice (which realistically is our contract.)

If he wants normal employment rights he can fuck off and work in tesco cant he?

Seriously its a ridiculous argument. If they dont want to be stuck as ridiculously paid slaves then dont sign long term contracts. But they wont do that will they because they want those nice big signing on bonuses etc.

Rip
September 1st, 2015, 3:20 PM
He was happy to sign his contract when he did. He didnt get his move, tough, get on with it.

The lad is an arrogant idiot.

:yes:

And whoever is advising him is a grade A cunt.

The Rosk
September 1st, 2015, 3:22 PM
He's contracted to the club for a period of time which both parties agreed on when deciding wages/bonuses etc. Most workplace contracts are ongoing until someone decides to leave.

Huge difference. He's a fucking toilet.

El Capitano Gatisto
September 1st, 2015, 3:46 PM

Actually if you were contracted by your employer with a sensitive position, that being the equivalent, then they would be pretty pissed if you unilaterally decided to leave for more money elsewhere just a year or two into a long-term contract. In the real world, a lot would go in to the decision to find a solution and change jobs, but football is not the same. It's totally right that it is understandable for footballers to want to leave one club for another for money and/or greater chance of success, but the attitude involved on behalf of Berahino and Sterling (share an agent by the way) which has been lamentable. If de Gea ends up leaving for free, then he has served the terms of his contract in full. Berahino accepted a new deal with the financial rewards that brought, he has no moral or legal leg to stand on with his antics in refusing to play for WBA and publically disgracing himself.

Mik
September 1st, 2015, 3:51 PM
Well...I think we might be in a spot of bother.

son_of_foley
September 1st, 2015, 3:54 PM
I think he's acted a dick but I can understand his frustration plus he only called out the chairman rather than the club and I would make a point of differentiating the two.

Also on him signing the contract, yes it's completely fair to hold him to it but we're not privvy to what may have been said or promised to him regards letting him move on. Again its a dick move to refuse to play.

El Capitano Gatisto
September 1st, 2015, 4:02 PM
I would believe strongly that Spurs tried to low-ball WBA because they are seen as a mid-lower Premier League team. Spurs supporters and the hierarchy seem unhealthily obsessed with getting one over on rival clubs at the expense of the squad, though obviously at this stage the state of the Spurs squad has seen that wear very thin for the fans. Spurs paid 23 million for an attacking midfielder from the Bundesliga, they should have been expecting to pay at least that for Berahino given Benteke and Lukaku have set his level of fee at around 30 million for a young striker with proven knack for goals at that level. Berahino really wanting to go doesn't mean his club have to sell themselves short. If anything the new TV deal means these teams can play hardball more than ever before with players they don't want to lose. Maybe we'll see release clauses becoming almost mandatory with it being harder to force clubs to sell.

Peter Griffin
September 1st, 2015, 4:08 PM
Really surprised Norwich have sold him with no replacement. He held his own at that level under Lambert, player of the season last season after scoring 15 goals.

Buzzing with today's business, but sort of cautious at the same time, don't want to be falling foul of ffp rules.

son_of_foley
September 1st, 2015, 4:10 PM
If the one thing that came out of this is Simon is slightly unhappy then aren't we all winners

El Capitano Gatisto
September 1st, 2015, 4:13 PM
On Arsenal, it was such a good start getting Petr Cech in, but given that the overall squad wasn't good enough to challenge for the league last season, it defies belief that Wenger thinks it will be good enough to do so this season. They needed a reliable keeper but it wasn't exactly a Pot Noodle they had in nets last year. It suggests he is happy to settle for top 4 again, which is a poor message for morale at the club as a whole.

City have ended up doing really well because they had no problem spending loads of money. I'm not sure if Otamendi is any good really but Sterling and de Bruyne are massive upgrades. Most importantly Toure, Silva and Kompany look really up for it and Hart looks solid again. If Aguero stays fit they should comfortably win the league.

Liverpool did pretty well too despite losing Sterling. There aren't decent defenders easily obtainable. Rodgers is on his last life now really with another serious bit of investment and I have a feeling he may be fully exposed as a shit-talker this season despite looking tactically very innovative the season before last. As time goes on it looks more and more as if he took full advantage of having one of the best players in the world at his disposal more than being any great shakes as a manager.

The Rosk
September 1st, 2015, 4:17 PM
For the first time ever I think Arsenal fans may be in the right to be slightly disappointed.

MMH
September 1st, 2015, 4:26 PM
I think he's acted a dick but I can understand his frustration plus he only called out the chairman rather than the club and I would make a point of differentiating the two.

Also on him signing the contract, yes it's completely fair to hold him to it but we're not privvy to what may have been said or promised to him regards letting him move on. Again its a dick move to refuse to play.

He is having a go at the chairman yet is only punishing the fans who actually pay his wages by refusing to play. He can still call the chairman an arsehole if he wants to whilst still playing.

Simon
September 1st, 2015, 4:35 PM
Berbatov on a free maybe?

Genuinely, despite him seeming to be a bit of a bust now and him ending with us on something of a sour note, I'd probably take him back out of desperation.

Simon
September 1st, 2015, 4:39 PM
Well...I think we might be in a spot of bother.

Not to kick a man when he's down, but apparently Yedlin has been so bad in training some of the senior players asked Pochettino and the coaching staff to drop him into the reserves.

Mik
September 1st, 2015, 5:03 PM
Fucks sake.

son_of_foley
September 1st, 2015, 5:04 PM
They worried that wouldn't be fair on the reserves though so turned to you guys

son_of_foley
September 1st, 2015, 5:04 PM
We spent more than Arsenal this Summer.

Fucking hell.

RuneEdge
September 2nd, 2015, 6:59 AM
Berbatov's joined a team in Greece on a free. Was hoping to see him back in the EPL. :\

Peter Griffin
September 2nd, 2015, 7:55 AM

Fucking hell.

And as much as they did in the entire window yesterday alone,madness.

Chris Scott
September 2nd, 2015, 7:24 PM
Mik, Sunderland mustn't have matched Borini's wages he was on at us for him to finally go.

Ringo
September 2nd, 2015, 8:21 PM
Nifty table:

http://i.imgur.com/6Qy0zO6.png

Romford Pele
September 3rd, 2015, 3:23 AM

Fucking hell.

That is not saying much to be fair.

Canuck
September 3rd, 2015, 6:04 AM
Pretty neat that Barcalona can spend 394m with a transfer ban.

Simon
September 3rd, 2015, 6:06 AM
Hurley those values are based on the entire squad, not just this window.

I don't see what the big problem is with the transfer ban tbh, as long as they're not allowed to register the players until January who gives a fuck whether they've already paid for them or not?

McBain
September 3rd, 2015, 6:07 AM
What duration does that cover?

McBain
September 3rd, 2015, 6:07 AM
Oh, gotcha. Cheers.

Ringo
September 3rd, 2015, 8:35 AM
Look at Sunderland ffs, about the same as Milan, more than Leverkusen, Sevilla, Schalke, Lyon, etc.

Chris Scott
June 21st, 2016, 7:48 AM
30M TROY DEENEY WTF

Peter Griffin
June 21st, 2016, 7:54 AM
Will Hughes should bring in at least the same then:shifty:

Simon
June 21st, 2016, 7:57 AM
15m for Michael Keane as well apparently. Silly money, but Leicester are quickly going about improving the side so fair play to them.

Peter Griffin
June 21st, 2016, 8:02 AM
Well Leicster have just signed Luis Hernandez from Gijon who is also a defender, though I cant say I have heard of him

Romford Pele
June 23rd, 2016, 5:38 AM
Vardy has signed a new contract with Leicester. Another great transfer foray from Arsenal.

Simon
June 23rd, 2016, 5:50 AM
Don't know why you're annoyed, you'll get a better and more suited striker than him now. Have the last two England games not shown you how much Vardy relies on Leicester's counter-attacking style? He's barely been involved in either game, scoring one pretty lucky goal (you have to be there to score it etc, it was pure luck that it ended up at his feet) and the only other involvement he had was from a bit of counter-attacking where the Slovakian keeper made a good save. Most of Arsenal's games are much the same as those two games, trying to break down a packed defence. You've dodged a bullet IMO, as has Vardy.

Romford Pele
June 23rd, 2016, 5:53 AM
Who are we going to sign? It seems a similar situation with Suarez a few years back. We went in for someone and had no-one as backup.

It wouldn't surprise me if we don't sign a forward now.

BBF
June 23rd, 2016, 5:56 AM
You have no idea if you have a back up or not!

Vary wouldn't have worked at Arsenal and I'm totally flummoxed as to why Wenger was in for him.

Simon
June 23rd, 2016, 5:59 AM
Who are we going to sign? It seems a similar situation with Suarez a few years back. We went in for someone and had no-one as backup.
Who says you have no one as back-up? There are six weeks until the start of the season, ten until the window closes.

There's no reason to think that is the case.

Peter Griffin
June 23rd, 2016, 6:02 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkJehlr1tEw

MMH
June 23rd, 2016, 6:32 AM

Its June!

MMH
June 23rd, 2016, 6:34 AM
You have no idea if you have a back up or not!

Vary wouldn't have worked at Arsenal and I'm totally flummoxed as to why Wenger was in for him.

I disagree with this.

I was reading a column from one of the journalists (Brian Reade I would assume) where he was saying that Vardy wouldnt fit into the system that Arsenal have used for years and then went on to say that they havnt won the league for years.

Maybe they need to alter the system then? Having a different option may help them.

BBF
June 23rd, 2016, 6:42 AM
Oh I agree with you there, they totally need a back up system but the rest of the squad isn't built for that at all. Throwing Vardy on for the last half hour wouldn't work because the defence and midfield aren't going to utilise him in the right way.

He wouldn't have fit into the way Wenger sets up and the different system Vardy would need just wouldn't work with the rest of the personnel Arsenal have. Obviously its easy to say now its not happening but I think it would've been a horrible move for both Arsenal and Vardy himself.

Simon
June 23rd, 2016, 6:45 AM
I disagree with this.

I was reading a column from one of the journalists (Brian Reade I would assume) where he was saying that Vardy wouldnt fit into the system that Arsenal have used for years and then went on to say that they havnt won the league for years.

Maybe they need to alter the system then? Having a different option may help them.

This is true, but Wenger has shown no real willingness to change his system. Maybe you're right and Vardy was an attempt to move away from the possession game - but you need more than one player to make that change, particularly when the style that Vardy suits is the exact opposite, and in the current system he is just blatantly not the right fit.

The Beer Monster
June 23rd, 2016, 6:50 AM
Vardy to Arsenal never seemed like happening to me, very interested to see who we go for now instead. Some one similar? I've got no clue.

The Rosk
June 23rd, 2016, 6:54 AM
Jesus Christ. If there's one saving grace to Villa getting relegated it'll be that I won't be in this thread as much to hear these cunt Arsenal fans whinge about every single thing every day whilst finishing second in the country.

Romford Pele
June 23rd, 2016, 6:55 AM
I think the whole idea was that Vardy could add a different dimension to the way we play. Bar a few games (for example City away 14/15), we have always played the same way (flood the midfield, possession football)

By signing Vardy it was giving us an option to counter attack.

Simon
June 23rd, 2016, 6:59 AM
But you already have that with Walcott and bar the odd game where you literally have no choice but to counter-attack (basically any time you come up against Barca) you've never really exploited that side of his game.

Romford Pele
June 23rd, 2016, 7:27 AM
No the reason that didn't work is because Walcott is shite.

Simon
June 23rd, 2016, 7:32 AM
Yeah he is shite, but you never tried consistently to exploit the one trait he does have by playing on the break.

Slare
June 23rd, 2016, 8:23 AM
Aresnal fans will literally not be happy unless they start with Messi, Ronaldo and Ian Wright as a front three and win the league by 18 points with Wenger getting sacked in the middle of the season and replaced by a time travelling Wenger from 2003.

Simon
June 23rd, 2016, 8:26 AM
Finding this anti-Arsenal trend in here very enjoyable indeed. Arsenal is a twat.

Beefy
June 23rd, 2016, 1:45 PM
No the reason that didn't work is because Walcott is shite.

Vardy is also shite

Romford Pele
June 23rd, 2016, 4:02 PM
Really? Seems a pretty good striker to me

Beefy
June 23rd, 2016, 9:00 PM
Yeah if you want someone who can run fast and finish. again, you have Walcott.

The Beer Monster
June 26th, 2016, 1:28 PM
Lukaku to Arsenal for 60 million, apparently.

MMH
June 26th, 2016, 2:11 PM
Lukaku to Arsenal for 60 million, apparently.

We would probably be asking for more than that in a world where Troy Deeney (not knocking the player by the way) is worth 25M plus.

The Rosk
June 26th, 2016, 2:35 PM
You have basically taken the piss out of him for being one dimensional for six months. I get that you are making a joke about inflated prices, but you should snap their wrist in half for 60m.

The Beer Monster
June 26th, 2016, 3:04 PM
I've just seen the same story but saying 75 million.

MMH
June 26th, 2016, 3:11 PM
You have basically taken the piss out of him for being one dimensional for six months. I get that you are making a joke about inflated prices, but you should snap their wrist in half for 60m.

That makes no sense. I'm not the one who decides what a player is worth or if we sell them! What I think is irrelevant. The club rate him as our most important player and we never sell players for less than we think they are worth.

Fact is he has 3 years left and we dont need money any more. If he goes he goes on our terms. The rumour up here is 75M but his agent has done a big u turn the past week saying he is happy to stay as Everton have big plans.

I think people are going to have to get their heads around the new cost of players this summer. With the huge amounts of money knocking around prices could easily double hence Deeney being valued at 25M and now Lukaku being classed as 75M. Nobody needs the money so clubs better players will come at a premium.

The Rosk
June 26th, 2016, 4:36 PM
That makes no sense. I'm not the one who decides what a player is worth or if we sell them! What I think is irrelevant. The club rate him as our most important player and we never sell players for less than we think they are worth.

Fact is he has 3 years left and we dont need money any more. If he goes he goes on our terms. The rumour up here is 75M but his agent has done a big u turn the past week saying he is happy to stay as Everton have big plans.

I think people are going to have to get their heads around the new cost of players this summer. With the huge amounts of money knocking around prices could easily double hence Deeney being valued at 25M and now Lukaku being classed as 75M. Nobody needs the money so clubs better players will come at a premium.

My point was that you were suggesting 60m shouldn't be enough to get Lukaku, based off a rumour that that was the agreed transfer. If that was the agreed transfer then surely that is what the club is willing to accept hypothetically, regardless of how good he is.

MMH
June 26th, 2016, 4:38 PM
My point was that you were suggesting 60m shouldn't be enough to get Lukaku, based off a rumour that that was the agreed transfer. If that was the agreed transfer then surely that is what the club is willing to accept hypothetically, regardless of how good he is.

I wasnt saying that at all. I'm saying the club rate him higher than that so it wont be an agreed fee.

The Rosk
June 26th, 2016, 5:18 PM
Have they said how much they would sell him for?

Andy
June 26th, 2016, 6:00 PM
If true, what's the strategy here? Just go down the list of PL top scorers and try ones that aren't in the Champions League?

El Capitano Gatisto
June 26th, 2016, 6:18 PM
Honigstein saying Mkhitaryan to Man United is almost done.

Simon
June 26th, 2016, 6:48 PM
Just saw Honigstein on ITV's Euro coverage. No need for him to be that handsome.

RuneEdge
June 27th, 2016, 3:58 AM
Honigstein saying Mkhitaryan to Man United is almost done.

Sky are saying its for 26.3m. Sounds like a bargain.

Romford Pele
June 27th, 2016, 5:17 AM
Another one we have missed out on.

Simon
June 27th, 2016, 5:22 AM
Romford you don't just get to say "another we've missed out on" every time a good player moves to another team, fucking hell. Why on earth do you need Mkhitaryan anyway, not that he isn't a fantastic player but another attacking midfielder is hardly what's needed.

Romford Pele
June 27th, 2016, 5:36 AM
By all accounts we were in for him, but for whatever reason we have missed out. We definitely do need someone like him if and when we sell that waster Walcott.

Last season we were too predictable in the final third and over reliant on Ozil (who was great and created loads of chances) and Sanchez (who was knackered after playing non-stop for 2 years)

As I have said before we need a top level striker (not sure what to make of these 60m Lukaku rumours) and a class winger to bolster our attack. I'm sure we will end up with nowt. I look forward to Wenger blaming the Brexit for it.

Slare
June 27th, 2016, 5:43 AM
Messi retired from international football. Another one we've missed out on.

RuneEdge
June 27th, 2016, 6:44 AM
All we need to do now is sign Draxler, to really top things off.

Romford Pele
June 27th, 2016, 6:56 AM
Noooooooooooooooooo

Simon
June 27th, 2016, 6:57 AM
We're signing Damiao, Morientes and Diego.

The Rosk
June 27th, 2016, 7:05 AM
Another one we have missed out on.

For fucks sake

RuneEdge
June 27th, 2016, 7:19 AM
I see Liverpool are injecting more cash into their feeder club again. :yes:

Simon
June 27th, 2016, 7:32 AM
Embolo has gone to Schalke.

RuneEdge
June 27th, 2016, 7:43 AM
Laurent Blanc has officially just left PSG.

Simon
June 27th, 2016, 7:44 AM
Apparently Unai Emery is taking over and bringing Krychowiak with him.

Romford Pele
June 27th, 2016, 8:05 AM
Mane off to Liverpool now, fucking hell!

RuneEdge
June 27th, 2016, 8:10 AM
At least you've signed an outfield player this year. :yes:

Simon
June 27th, 2016, 8:11 AM
30m for Mane, not convinced he is that good tbh. Seems like a very patchy player.

Slare
June 27th, 2016, 8:35 AM
30m for Mane, not convinced he is that good tbh. Seems like a very patchy player.

Missed out on another one.

MikeHunt
June 27th, 2016, 9:05 AM
Shut up.

El Capitano Gatisto
June 27th, 2016, 1:37 PM
Mane is a good signing for Liverpool. Pace, skill, cool finisher and works hard. He should fit the Klopp template.

Chris Scott
June 27th, 2016, 7:43 PM
Upgraded version of Lallana. Not fused on price anymore and quite happy we got him.

Romford Pele
June 28th, 2016, 9:33 AM
Wish we had got him, looks like the kind of player we could do with.

Peter Griffin
June 28th, 2016, 12:51 PM
Moussa Dembele has joined Celtic from Fulham, that's another one Arsenal have missed out on.

RuneEdge
June 29th, 2016, 2:56 PM
http://www.turkish-football.com/galatasaray-offer-sneijder-to-man-utd-in-part-exchange-for-fellaini/

We can't have a transfer window without another one of these stories.

Simon
June 30th, 2016, 12:07 PM
Hulk has signed for Shanghai for 46m. Mental.

A few other transfers from around Europe...

Serie A
Dani Alves (Barcelona -> Juventus)
Stephan Al Shaarawy (Milan -> Roma)
Miralem Pjanic (Roma -> Juventus)
Ever Banega (Sevilla -> Inter)
Antonio Rudiger (Stuttgart -> Roma)

La Liga
Denis Suarez (Villarreal -> Barcelona)
Alvaro Morata (Juventus -> Real Madrid)
Nico Gaitan (Benfica -> Atletico Madrid)
Sime Vrsaljko (Sassuolo -> Atletico Madrid)
Denis Cheryshev (Real Madrid -> Villarreal)

Bundesliga
Breel Embolo (Basel -> Schalke)
Mats Hummels (Dortmund -> Bayern)
Renato Sanches (Benfica -> Bayern)
Kevin Volland (Hoffenheim -> Leverkusen)
Christoph Kramer (Leverkusen -> Gladbach)
Raphael Guerreiro (Lorient -> Dortmund)
Marc Bartra (Barcelona -> Dortmund)
Ousmane Dembele (Rennes -> Dortmund)
Emre Mor (Nordsjaelland -> Dortmund)

Elsewhere
Nicolas Nkoulou (Marseille -> Lyon)
Joao Teixeira (Liverpool -> Porto)
Martin Skrtel (Liverpool - Fenerbahce)

Plenty more likely in the next few days - Krychowiak to PSG which would be a great move for them, he's brilliant. Barcelona are signing Umtiti, Nani is going to Valencia, Mkhitaryan looks like he's going to sign for United...exciting. That's before the big Pogba saga gets going once the Euros end.

RuneEdge
June 30th, 2016, 4:25 PM
:\
Was hoping to see Banega in the EPL one day.

Chris Scott
June 30th, 2016, 4:59 PM
Jerome Sinclair to Watford 4M

Simon
June 30th, 2016, 5:02 PM
Is there an assumption he will play regularly there? From what I've seen of him he looked a real talent, vaguely remember seeing him live on his debut in the League Cup and he looked great.

Simon
July 1st, 2016, 5:10 AM
City have signed Nolito. Watford have turned down 38m for Ighalo from Shanghai. Barmy.

Gary J
July 1st, 2016, 7:06 AM
Even if Watford had accepted it I doubt Ighalo would have gone didn't he turn down a similar move last season from some Chinese team?

Mik
July 1st, 2016, 9:02 AM
Newcastle spending money in the Championship.

Simon
July 1st, 2016, 9:07 AM
Not just that, but spending money on good Premier League players. Gayle is in my opinion hugely underrated, he has a bit of Defoe about him in that he doesn't appear to be that good but he just scores goals. Ritchie going there is a mad one, not just because he's already playing regularly in the Prem, but because if he didn't want to leave there were better options available - West Ham bid for him earlier in the summer and IIRC Everton were linked with him too. Don't get me wrong there's every reason to believe Newcastle will be back in the Premier League next year, but seems a strange move for someone whose career seemed to be on the up.

Palace have signed Townsend, which seems a strange one given that they already have two talented but inconsistent nippy wingers among their best performers. I wonder if Pardew is looking to move Bolasie up front permanently.

RuneEdge
July 1st, 2016, 3:22 PM
http://i.imgur.com/6V8xZut.jpg
:panic:

Romford Pele
July 1st, 2016, 3:24 PM
The ego has landed. Another one.

RuneEdge
July 1st, 2016, 3:27 PM
Another one.
...you missed out on?

Romford Pele
July 1st, 2016, 3:30 PM
Another ego. Jose was obv the first.

RuneEdge
July 1st, 2016, 3:36 PM
:blah:
I know what you meant.

Romford Pele
July 1st, 2016, 3:46 PM
Hmmm

Chris Scott
July 2nd, 2016, 4:06 PM
Is there an assumption he will play regularly there? From what I've seen of him he looked a real talent, vaguely remember seeing him live on his debut in the League Cup and he looked great.

I doubt it if they keep the other 2 main strikers which it looks like they are.

Romford Pele
July 3rd, 2016, 7:10 AM
We have signed a bloody striker!

Rip
July 3rd, 2016, 7:15 AM
Newcastle spending money in the Championship.

Wisely, with a view to the future.

Mik
July 3rd, 2016, 5:04 PM
Hmmmmm. No future if you don't come straight back up.

Simon
July 3rd, 2016, 5:08 PM
Signing Premier League level players is a pretty good way of getting out of the Championship to be fair.

Mik
July 3rd, 2016, 5:12 PM
We've tried signing the best players from the worst teams in the premier league before and it didn't help us. But admittedly we weren't actually in the championship when doing that. Maybe that'll work in the league down better than it does in the league up.

Simon
July 3rd, 2016, 5:15 PM
I'd be very surprised if Gayle and Ritchie didn't do well for Newcastle. Would you want them back up for the derbies or prefer them to stay fucked off? :D

Mik
July 3rd, 2016, 5:54 PM
I'd prefer if they went bankrupt and ceased to exist forever more.

Rip
July 3rd, 2016, 7:31 PM
Signing Premier League level players is a pretty good way of getting out of the Championship to be fair.

You'd think so, add a good centre half and a couple of old heads and I think we've got a damn good squad, if the rumours about Caulker turn out to be right I'll be over the bloody moon.

Miks just sulking because they're only hope of survival next year is Fat Sam and he wants the England job.

Rip
July 3rd, 2016, 7:34 PM
I'd prefer if they went bankrupt and ceased to exist forever more.

:lol:

After you lot,we have a bigger fanbase, a better squad, a richer owner, a much better manager, a bigger ground and we run in a profit, how's your books?

SheltonLondon
July 4th, 2016, 1:36 AM
Serious talk of Mata to the Toffees, unreal if true. Buzzing about that one, but fully expecting to be trumped by someone at the last minute. Hopefully not though, would be another big statement of intent from the new owner Moshiri!

Simon
July 4th, 2016, 4:56 AM
Heard you're in for Witsel as well, €30m apparently.

Mik
July 4th, 2016, 1:04 PM
:lol:

After you lot,we have a bigger fanbase, a better squad, a richer owner, a much better manager, a bigger ground and we run in a profit, how's your books?

Makes you wonder how you ended up a division down again doesn't it?

SheltonLondon
July 4th, 2016, 2:02 PM
Heard you're in for Witsel as well, €30m apparently.

Witsel and William Carvalho also linked yeah. Can't really see it happening as they're all names that would attract some of the bigger European sides. Exciting rumours even if it comes to nothing! The thought of essentially swapping Osman out for Mata is mouth-watering!

Rip
July 4th, 2016, 2:24 PM
Makes you wonder how you ended up a division down again doesn't it?

Nope.

Shit manager who we held onto for too long and too many underperforming players, simple really.

MMH
July 4th, 2016, 2:52 PM
Serious talk of Mata to the Toffees, unreal if true. Buzzing about that one, but fully expecting to be trumped by someone at the last minute. Hopefully not though, would be another big statement of intent from the new owner Moshiri!

I dont really get the Mata statement of intent thing. He is obviously a talented player but its not like we would be signing Pele in his prime or anything.

Rip
July 4th, 2016, 2:56 PM
Looks like you're not going for Krul anymore, on his day he's one of the best around, but he's not the greatest leader for a keeper.

Romford Pele
July 4th, 2016, 4:41 PM
I dont really get the Mata statement of intent thing. He is obviously a talented player but its not like we would be signing Pele in his prime or anything.

Bloody hell high standards! I think the point is that Mata would not have looked at you lot a few years back...so if you were to get him it would be statement of intent

RuneEdge
July 4th, 2016, 4:48 PM
It wouldn't be a statement for a team like Barca or Real Madrid, but for Everton? Definitely. It's a big statement of intent for Everton. You wouldn't sign a player of Mata's quality if you're expecting to finish in the bottom half of the table again.

MMH
July 4th, 2016, 6:12 PM
Hes a good premier league player who sometimes gets a game for Spain.

Id be happy for us to get him of course, hes a very good player but hes not one of the worlds elite players or anything. That's all I have an issue with, people are acting like its Ronaldo signing for Morcombe or something.

And before certain people get easily confused I am not expecting us to sign players of higher quality nor am I knocking is ability. He is a very good player playing for a team a few places above us in the same league who is having to leave as his manager obviously doesnt rate him for some reason. It's a signing that would make sense, not some massive earth shattering deal.

Simon
July 4th, 2016, 6:33 PM
MMH I don't know whether you're underrating Mata or overrating Everton, but signing him would be a huge coup given how good he is and the sort of teams you'd expect to be after him. I know you hate the modern world of football but let's not try to subvert reality here, there is a huge difference between United and Everton and it would be a big shock if you managed to get him. I would expect this to be borne out in the next few weeks if United are willing to let him go, as I'd imagine a bigger side from the continent would come in and gazump you.

Simon
July 4th, 2016, 6:35 PM
Apparently we're signing this Vincent Janssen bloke from AZ this week. I didn't know he existed until he scored against England a couple of months ago, anyone seen much of him?

RuneEdge
July 4th, 2016, 6:45 PM
Havent seen him play but his name always seemed to pop up in transfer rumours last season. Over 30 goals at the age of 22 sounds promising.

MMH
July 4th, 2016, 8:46 PM
MMH I don't know whether you're underrating Mata or overrating Everton, but signing him would be a huge coup given how good he is and the sort of teams you'd expect to be after him. I know you hate the modern world of football but let's not try to subvert reality here, there is a huge difference between United and Everton and it would be a big shock if you managed to get him. I would expect this to be borne out in the next few weeks if United are willing to let him go, as I'd imagine a bigger side from the continent would come in and gazump you.

I have already explained my thoughts up there and given my whole opinion on it....

Mata is a good player, he isnt a world beater or anything either. Evidently I am under rating Mata then and personally I think with good reason.

Ok OK, Everton are fucking shit, Mata is the best player ever. Got it. If he was to move to us then he is taking a step down because for some reason he wasnt deemed good enough twice by his manager.

Im not saying he is bad at all, im not saying Everton are great, I'm just saying that he is not this massive marquee player or anything either and it shouldnt be a massive shock if he ends up at a club like us.

Mik
July 5th, 2016, 2:55 AM
I'm with MMH here. It would be a great signing for Everton, but I wouldn't say it was a 'statement of intent'. If they sign 4 or 5 other players of his ilk then maybe, but not it this is their one marquee high profile signing.

RuneEdge
July 5th, 2016, 6:13 AM
Oh yeah, of course. I'm going ahead with the assumption that signing Mata would be like telling people "these are the kind of players we'll be signing going forward".

Romford Pele
July 5th, 2016, 6:43 AM
The guy is a proven Spanish International who was coveted by the world elite when he went to Chelsea.

The reason he has been 'discarded' twice was because Mourinho coaches out the creativity of players like Mata and places more importance on discipline (see how Joe Cole declined under him)

Mata is obviously not a player who will track back for you, but he is a class number 10 and Everton would be very lucky to get him.

thegoat
July 5th, 2016, 7:09 AM
It's more Everton or Valencia for him now though than Everton or Real Madrid isn't it? I don't think it's exactly a coup, just a good signing that a club likely below the level he is playing at will get to make, be it Everton or someone else.

MMH
July 5th, 2016, 7:42 AM
The guy is a proven Spanish International who was coveted by the world elite when he went to Chelsea.

The reason he has been 'discarded' twice was because Mourinho coaches out the creativity of players like Mata and places more importance on discipline (see how Joe Cole declined under him)

Mata is obviously not a player who will track back for you, but he is a class number 10 and Everton would be very lucky to get him.

He went to Chelsea what, 6 years ago?

Again though I'm not sure why you are telling me that he is a good player, I already know he is. All I am saying is that if he was to sign for us it would be a good signing (we wouldnt be "lucky" to have him, we would be paying him after all), but not a signing that is earth shattering or anything as he is the type of player we should be going for. I do think we over rate our players over here a little bit too.

Simon
July 5th, 2016, 7:51 AM
he is the type of player we should be going for.

This is the sticking point in a nutshell. At any point since he became hot property at Valencia almost a decade, he wouldn't have been the type of player you should be going for, because it would have been unrealistic to think you might sign him. It all comes down to the 'statement of intent' thing, but I would say that signing a player who, frankly, should be playing for a bigger club than Everton, would be a good marker for where the new era Everton want to be.

MMH
July 5th, 2016, 8:58 AM
This is the sticking point in a nutshell. At any point since he became hot property at Valencia almost a decade, he wouldn't have been the type of player you should be going for, because it would have been unrealistic to think you might sign him. It all comes down to the 'statement of intent' thing, but I would say that signing a player who, frankly, should be playing for a bigger club than Everton, would be a good marker for where the new era Everton want to be.

Yeah but its not as if we have not had these type of players before. Every club has them at some point.

Simon
July 5th, 2016, 9:03 AM
When was the last time you signed an established elite player? I'm looking back through the record books now and going back to the turn of the century you haven't signed a single top-class player - Lukaku is probably the closest, but he hadn't made the grade at Chelsea. Back in 95/96 you signed Kanchelskis and Speed, that's probably the most recent?

SheltonLondon
July 5th, 2016, 9:41 AM
Mata is a world class player in my eyes. He was the best player in a very stacked Chelsea side for a couple of years, arguably in the top 5 players in the league at the time, and only fell out of favour because of Mourinho's ego. He's then had two seasons at United under two of the worst managers in their history, in two of their worst sides, and I still think he's been a standout there.

We haven't signed a player of his ilk for years, our transfer record was smashed for Beattie, Yakubu and and an unknown Marouane Fellaini before we signed Rom. Who whilst certainly being a huge talent at the time, was very raw. I'd say Mata is one of the top 10 creative players in world football, and our fans have gone crazy in the past over links to a past it Riquelme and Joao Moutinho - who weren't nearly as good at the time as Mata is right now!

I still don't think we'll get him but the calibre of players we're getting linked to right now is worlds apart from the yearly Jason Koumas rumours I've been used to recently!

I'd say almost every action taken by Moshiri so far, including going all out to get his man Koeman, releasing Hibbert, Osman and Pienaar, and sounding out world class players have been a big statement of intent from him. Seems like he has a good vision for our club and I personally feel pretty excited about it!

MMH
July 5th, 2016, 10:00 AM
When was the last time you signed an established elite player? I'm looking back through the record books now and going back to the turn of the century you haven't signed a single top-class player - Lukaku is probably the closest, but he hadn't made the grade at Chelsea. Back in 95/96 you signed Kanchelskis and Speed, that's probably the most recent?

None of these are/were elite players though. Thats what I am saying. Depends what you class as elite I suppose.

Simon
July 5th, 2016, 10:27 AM
Well I would definitely class Mata in that bracket. Obviously he's not a Ronaldo or Messi, but he's certainly one of the best players in his position in the world IMO.

Beefy
July 5th, 2016, 11:35 AM
MMH prefers his signings to come from German second division clubs. A first team player at Manchester United? Chelsea player of the season a couple of years ago? NOT IN MY NAME.

And Gary Lineker was the answer to your question Simon.

MMH
July 5th, 2016, 11:52 AM
MMH prefers his signings to come from German second division clubs. A first team player at Manchester United? Chelsea player of the season a couple of years ago? NOT IN MY NAME.

And Gary Lineker was the answer to your question Simon.

Genuine question here, can any of you read?

I have said bloody loads of times that he is a good player and I certainly wouldnt object to us signing him.

United have been shite for a few seasons by the way. Being a first teamer for them isnt a major thing currently.

BBF
July 5th, 2016, 12:08 PM
Why don't you want Everton to sign current Manchester United player and Spanish international, Juan Mata, MMH?

Simon
July 5th, 2016, 12:09 PM
Why don't you want Everton to sign current Manchester United player and Spanish international, Juan Mata, MMH?

Because he thinks he's shit.

El Capitano Gatisto
July 5th, 2016, 12:40 PM
Everton appear to have had a bid accepted for Axel Witsel. Everton offering more money but Napoli a more attractive team to play for as per his agent. I'm sure a few extra quid will see him go to Everton, the guy has hardly spent the guts of career in the Russian league because he really liked the style of play and interaction with the fans there.

Andy
July 5th, 2016, 2:48 PM
I'm not convinced Mata is that great. Good player no doubt, but in the elite? I'm not so sure. There's a reason he didn't succeed at Chelsea, doesn't start every game for Man United and wasn't even in the Spain squad.

El Capitano Gatisto
July 5th, 2016, 4:05 PM
Mata did succeed at Chelsea. He was their best player and one of the league's best players until Mourinho got there and didn't fancy him. The entire reason he is doubted now is because Mourinho shipped him out, perhaps correctly given Mourinho had Hazard and Fabregas to do a similar job. He's a fantastic footballer, and his adapted his game to play in a poor United team with an ineffective system. He scores goals and he makes chances, but thrives when used properly as a central attacking play-maker with movement around him i.e. precisely where he hasn't been used at Manchester United. He's also probably the best free kick taker in the league, yet, he continually has to watch Wayne Rooney hit everything, a further example of how he has been perversely misused to accomodate that fat waster.

RuneEdge
July 7th, 2016, 4:42 AM
The Pogba to United rumours are getting stronger by the day. Would be mental if we pulled it off.

Beefy
July 7th, 2016, 4:50 AM
100m fee and 300k a week for a player you sold for peanuts and, tbh, looks massively overrated. You'd be a laughing stock.

RuneEdge
July 7th, 2016, 5:06 AM
What's worse is that the player clearly prefers to go to Real Madrid, who aren't willing to pay up. So we'd be paying 100m for someone who might not even want to be here.
But the way I look at it, we need a central midfielder, and Pogba is probably the best that money could buy in terms of his age, quality, marketing appeal, resale value in the future. TBH I don't think he's worth more than 60m. But it's not my money so I don't care. :yes:

EDIT
BTW, we didn't even sell the player originally. We let him go for free. The 800k or whatever we got for him was just the compensation since he was 19 years old at the time. :lol:

Chris Scott
July 7th, 2016, 11:25 AM
Ibe to Bournemouth 15M, we are doing well getting money in for these fringe players.

thegoat
July 8th, 2016, 7:34 AM
Problem being if you do what Liverpool are prone to and replace them with other fringe players

Chris Scott
July 8th, 2016, 7:45 AM
Mane will be straight in side, that along with Coutinho, Frimino and Lallana as are other attacking mids, made sense to sell him. Apparently we have a buy back clause in the deal.

Simon
July 8th, 2016, 7:55 AM
Is Ibe even any good? Other than hitting the post with a long range shot against Everton a while back I can't remember him doing anything of note, and he's been there for four years.

thegoat
July 8th, 2016, 8:05 AM
I could be wrong but didn't Southampton drop Mane this season because he was on a woeful goal drought? Obviously I wouldn't say he is a bad signing but there is every chance he wont prove to be better than what you already have.

Peter Griffin
July 8th, 2016, 8:46 AM
Is Ibe even any good? Other than hitting the post with a long range shot against Everton a while back I can't remember him doing anything of note, and he's been there for four years.

Was pretty excellent on loan for us, though that was the championship obviously

RuneEdge
July 9th, 2016, 8:20 AM
Gotze linked with Spurs at the moment.

Peter Griffin
July 9th, 2016, 8:30 AM
Pelle and Papis Cisse off to China, it's the place to be apparently

Chris Scott
July 9th, 2016, 12:49 PM

Nope he's not kicked on like fans thought, last season he went backwards.

son_of_foley
July 9th, 2016, 4:06 PM
I don't think he went backwards. He seems quite limited atm head down too much and making wrong choices. May come good but 15m seems extortionate

Chris Scott
July 9th, 2016, 5:25 PM
I think he went backwards considering what he was like when he first came into team. This season he had more than enough starts to prove he can get a run in the first team but he didn't take it. Seemed like his head was elsewhere. Me personally I would have sent him on a season long loan and see what he's like back at us year after.

son_of_foley
July 11th, 2016, 5:06 AM
Is anyone else hoping Berahino sits on the last year of his contract so West Brom get nothing? I do.

I'm not even sure why I'm so on his side but I am. Anyone should be able to get away from playing in a Tony Pullis side if they want. That should be the next Bosman case

Simon
July 11th, 2016, 5:14 AM
Not really, he doesn't have much of a case for saying he's been treated badly. It all kicked off over our attempts to buy him in January, but if we don't offer what they want for him why should West Brom let him go? It's already fucked him in that the interest from CL clubs has been replaced by interest from mid-table clubs, and if he continues to act like a dick and make himself basically unpickable with his attitude then he might end up even further down the ladder. TBH I'm not convinced he's even that good really, certainly not enough to have thrown his toys out of the pram the way he did. I wasn't convinced he was the right man for us when we were first linked with him, and that opinion was solidified when he showed himself up as an arsehole with his behaviour during the #saga.

son_of_foley
July 11th, 2016, 5:24 AM
He claims he was given verbal assurances that he could go if certain conditions were made, that was the reneged on and he was told to respect his written contract.

Fast forward to them now panicking they won't get as much money for him as they would like and offering him a new 4 year contract.

Jeremy Peace likes to play these hard negotiations a lot so I'm finding it enjoyable he isn't holding the cards here. Still think in the current market they'll convince someone to pay top dollar for him this window but I'll be disappointed in him for not committing to this almighty blood feud the way he should. If you are going to announce a feud of this level then stick to it

Simon
July 11th, 2016, 5:35 AM
Peace seems to be developing the same reputation Levy has for being a pain in the arse to deal with. The negotiations for Berahino must have been so annoying for everyone else involved.

"We'll give you 10m"
"30m or no deal."
"How does 10m sound?"
"Doesn't sound great, what about 30m?"
"OK, final offer - 8m. Take it or leave it".
"You can do better than that. 32m or I'm out the door."

It's one of those situations where you kind of hope everyone loses because they're all wankers. Ideally Peace gets shafted on the money, Pulis loses out on being able to use the money to sign a replacement and Berahino ends up having to sign for a club worse than West Brom.

son_of_foley
July 11th, 2016, 5:37 AM
#ISTANDWITHSAIDO

Simon
July 11th, 2016, 5:38 AM
#givepeaceachance

Murphy
July 11th, 2016, 6:13 AM
Who are Spurs going to end up with though? I'm not seeing them linked with many players yet. I'm aware we're only in July and the Euro's have just finished, so we'll see.

The way the season ended and with half the England team being Spurs players, confidence has to be low. Which is crazy, considering they finished 3rd. I'd feel a lot better about things if a decent striker was signed.

Simon
July 11th, 2016, 6:24 AM
Vincent Janssen from AZ is pretty much confirmed according to reports, should be announced either today or tomorrow. Not seen much of him but he was top scorer in Holland last year and has been capped for the national team (he scored against England when we played a while back).

I don't think confidence will be low because of the Euros - Kane's the only one who suffered out of our England players. Alli wasn't good, but flew under the radar with so many more established players playing worse than him, while Dier, Rose and Walker all enhanced their credentials over the course of the tournament, probably the only three England players to do so - they were all poor in the Iceland game, but were overshadowed by much worse performances from more senior players, not to mention the manager. Hodgson, Hart and Sterling have taken the brunt of the criticism, with Kane probably the next on the list but generally given the benefit of the doubt because of how much football he's played in the past two years; it felt like his shit performances were excused in a way other players' were not. None of them are high on the hit list of the media or fans.

So yeah, nothing to worry about with four of them, and I'm not especially concerned about Kane - he came through a tough spell at the start of last season when he didn't score for ages, and finished top scorer. He seems like a resilient guy and will presumably relish getting back to the supportive environment at the Lane, not to mention a team that suits his style of play.

The squad as a whole might have suffered after the collapse at the end of last season, but I think they're a stronger group than we've had previously, and with a bit of perspective should realise that what we achieved last year was fantastic regardless of those last four games.

Peter Griffin
July 11th, 2016, 9:30 AM
We have rejected a 3 million bid from Burnley for Hendrick, fucking chancers :lol: besides wouldn't want him going to that ginger cunts team.

Simon
July 11th, 2016, 11:22 AM
How long does he have left on his contract? Seems silly low in the current climate, I'd have thought you could easily get 10m for him.

Peter Griffin
July 11th, 2016, 11:35 AM
2 years. And exactly, they want something like 15-20 for Michael Keane themselves, piss takers .

Peter Griffin
July 11th, 2016, 11:39 AM
They have had a 4 million bid for Dale Stephens rejected as well.

Simon
July 11th, 2016, 11:40 AM
Brighton fans absolutely love him, would suit Burnley's bustling style.

son_of_foley
July 11th, 2016, 11:46 AM
Will Hughes absolutely fucking destroyed him in May. DESTROYED HIM.

Simon
July 11th, 2016, 11:48 AM
Stephens took it out on Gaston Ramirez's comically under-protected shin in the play-offs. Which sent the Brighton fans absolutely mental. I fucking hate Brighton fans.

son_of_foley
July 11th, 2016, 2:07 PM
Will hughes not onlyet evaded his man marking by moving the ball around him with ease but then completely shackled him as well. It was amazing.

We then had loads of forum posts etc from Brighton fans saying hughes was quite good and they would be ok with signing him when they went up hahahaha

Simon
July 12th, 2016, 6:31 AM
Janssen signed. With him and Wanyama done I don't think there's any pressing need for new signings, for the first time in I literally do not know how long. There are places we could improve the side - a pacier alternative in the wide attacking mids would be good, and Mason/Bentaleb are not good alternatives to Dembele - but there's no blatantly obvious hole in the side. Provided we don't lose anyone important, I'd be happy going into the new season with the current squad.

Fazio, Yedlin and one of Mason and Carroll could all leave without being missed, so there might still be the money there for a big signing if the opportunity came up.

The Rosk
July 12th, 2016, 6:36 AM
I think you need to sign Gabby Agbonlahor. Not much pace upfront. We'll let him go for 15m. Not even 30 yet.

Simon
July 12th, 2016, 6:56 AM
Jesus is he really not 30?

MikeHunt
July 12th, 2016, 7:25 AM
Janssen signed. With him and Wanyama done I don't think there's any pressing need for new signings, for the first time in I literally do not know how long. There are places we could improve the side - a pacier alternative in the wide attacking mids would be good, and Mason/Bentaleb are not good alternatives to Dembele - but there's no blatantly obvious hole in the side. Provided we don't lose anyone important, I'd be happy going into the new season with the current squad.

Fazio, Yedlin and one of Mason and Carroll could all leave without being missed, so there might still be the money there for a big signing if the opportunity came up.

Surely you could do with a bit of beefing up in the striker area.

Simon
July 12th, 2016, 7:26 AM
Surely you could do with a bit of beefing up in the striker area.

We only play with one striker and we've now got two out-and-out strikers with Janssen signed, it's unrealistic to expect to be able to keep three strikers happy in a one-striker system...Son and Chadli can both play there if needed, plus a couple of yound kids (Harrison and Sterling) who are highly-rated.

Murphy
July 12th, 2016, 7:31 AM
What do you make of Clinton Njie, Simon? Did he only make a few sub apearances before getting injured? I don't recall seeing much in him, but it's not easy coming on for a few minutes here and there and then getting injured.

Simon
July 12th, 2016, 7:40 AM
Probably seen as much of him as you have - I'd never heard of him until we were linked with him and obviously he was injured all last year. Those who have seen him play reckon he could be brilliant though, so maybe he's #likeanewsigning.

Chris Scott
July 12th, 2016, 1:45 PM
Wish Jordon Ibe all the best at Bournemouth. Looked promising in pre-season last year, but never really progressed. Good move for him & LFC.

RuneEdge
July 12th, 2016, 2:05 PM

If you really had to make another signing, I reckon you could do with another wide player who can chip in with some goals. Lamela's been good but I think going forward, you should be starting to look for someone better than Chadli. Someone like Nani IMO would've been the perfect kind of signing.

MikeHunt
July 12th, 2016, 2:12 PM
We only play with one striker and we've now got two out-and-out strikers with Janssen signed, it's unrealistic to expect to be able to keep three strikers happy in a one-striker system...Son and Chadli can both play there if needed, plus a couple of yound kids (Harrison and Sterling) who are highly-rated.

Long injuries for both loom.

Simon
July 12th, 2016, 2:27 PM
Nothing we can do about that, it would be silly to have three specialist strikers when we're only going to play one up front.

RuneEdge I agree that Chadli is one who could be improved upon, but then again he is fifth choice for those three attacking mid spots, possibly even sixth behind N'Jie, so it might not be realistic to expect better than him. It's difficult to argue that a team in our position could expect a better first choice three than Eriksen, Lamela and Alli, and Son should hopefully improve this year as another option. I do think we could do with a different type of option on the flanks though as Eriksen, Alli and Lamela are all tricky, slippery players without a huge amount of pace. N'Jie and Son might offer that, but I'd like a really direct player along the lines of Nani like you mentioned. Cristian Tello has been linked, I thought he would be a superstar by now but the fact he's almost 25 and hasn't found a regular first team spot either at Barca or elsewhere is a worry.

RuneEdge
July 12th, 2016, 2:43 PM
I do think we could do with a different type of option on the flanks though as Eriksen, Alli and Lamela are all tricky, slippery players without a huge amount of pace.

That's what I'm thinking. I think you'd want a player who'd be quick on the counter attack. I guess this is where Berahino was supposed to fit in (who's apparently just rejected a deal at West Brom). Personally I'd try to get Shaqiri.

El Capitano Gatisto
July 12th, 2016, 4:37 PM
Another tricky player but who has no pace.

RuneEdge
July 12th, 2016, 6:51 PM
He's got some pace. But besides that, I've always felt he's someone that's not too far off from being a top player. He's shown the occasional glimpse of it, and personally would like to see him given a chance with better players around him.
Sort of like how Nani was well below average at times for United, but always looked like he still had the ability to do better. Same with Depay right now. Looks shit at the moment, but you just get the feeling that he'll start to play better for another team the moment we sell him.
I get the same feeling with Shaqiri.

El Capitano Gatisto
July 12th, 2016, 7:10 PM
People have been saying that about Shaqiri for years. It's no coincidence he's gone from Basle to Bayern to Inter then Stoke. He's just not all that good.

Depay is fucking crap.

Simon
July 12th, 2016, 7:23 PM
I think Arnautovic looks a better player than Shaqiri. He's always had quality but he seems to do it regularly now and puts a bit of effort in. Bojan is probably better too.

Simon
July 13th, 2016, 6:06 AM
French papers reckon Chelsea have had a bid accepted for Kante. Shite.

RuneEdge
July 13th, 2016, 6:13 AM
Doesnt Kante have like a 25m release clause or something?

Simon
July 13th, 2016, 6:17 AM
€35m according to these reports. Brexit joke about that breaking the British transfer record in pounds.

RuneEdge
July 13th, 2016, 7:01 AM
People have been saying that about Shaqiri for years. It's no coincidence he's gone from Basle to Bayern to Inter then Stoke. He's just not all that good.

He's still only 24. He was at Bayern when Robben and Ribery were at their best, and he only spent 5 months at Inter before moving to Stoke. It's too early to be writing him off.

El Capitano Gatisto
July 13th, 2016, 7:46 AM
No it isn't.

Peter Griffin
July 13th, 2016, 7:50 AM
There you go Runedge that's you told.

RuneEdge
July 13th, 2016, 8:09 AM
That's that settled then.

http://i.imgur.com/gtatWgR.gif

Chris Scott
July 13th, 2016, 2:37 PM
We've have recouped a combined 26.5m for Skrtel, Ibe, Sinclair and Canos. That figure could rise to 28.5m.

son_of_foley
July 14th, 2016, 10:58 AM
Skrtel is a shit prick as well. Glad he's fucking off. Hopefully Feilani goes as well and we have 2 less dickheads in the league

Chris Scott
July 14th, 2016, 11:49 AM
Agreed.

Simon
July 15th, 2016, 9:35 AM
Kante to Chelsea for 29m. Just fuck OFF.

Murphy
July 15th, 2016, 9:52 AM
Yeah, what shitty news.

Simon
July 18th, 2016, 4:36 AM
We've signed some guy I've never heard of from Marseille. Kevin-Georges Nkoudou, anyone know anything about him?

Mik
July 18th, 2016, 5:24 AM
Yet again, for another summer, we are signing no one and our club is in turmoil.

son_of_foley
July 18th, 2016, 5:36 AM
Yet again, for another summer, we are signing no one and our club is in turmoil.

From the outside the problem always seemed to be you were signing too many but they were all shite

Mik
July 18th, 2016, 6:01 AM
Yeah, that's right. We need to sign the right players and only need a few. Allardyce was supposedly going to be given free reign over the transfers after the great signings he made in the January transfer window. But he had said that he wanted his targets in place early into the window. So far he hadn't been given freedom over transfers, we have not really been linked with anyone, the FA is dragging their heels over the appointment of the England manager, which will probably be Sam. We will have to get someone new in place relatively last minute who won't be given freedom over the transfers (which is the ONLY time we have made any successful transfers in the last 7 or 8 years and everything will be back to normal in that we'll be starting the season in a mess.

RuneEdge
July 18th, 2016, 6:04 AM
Is it too late for someone in the EPL to sign Ronaldinho? :happysad:

Grimario
July 19th, 2016, 4:34 AM
Swansea have signed former Newcastle GK Mark Birighitti. Fringe Socceroo player. Was on the bench against England before Euro's. Fantastic shot stopper but questionable under crosses.

What's his chances at first team football?

Simon
July 19th, 2016, 5:21 AM
Depends how good he is. Swansea's first choice goalkeeper is Lukasz Fabianski, who isn't terrible but is probably one of the weaker goalkeepers in the league (most teams have at least one good goalkeeper in the PL). The backups are Tremmel who is pushing 40 and has only played a handful of games in the PL, and a Swedish guy who I didn't know existed until I looked it up before replying to your question. Without knowing anything about your guy it is hard to tell, but I'd say Swansea is probably his best bet in the league.

City signing Aaron Mooy was a weird one - they loaned him out to the Championship straight away, which makes sense...but I'm not sure what City hope to gain from signing him, he's not a young player that they will expect to play regularly in the future, nor someone who seems good enough to be a fringe player. Is it just some sort of branding thing?

Grimario
July 19th, 2016, 5:34 PM
He essentially already played for city. Was at Melbourne City, owned by City Football Group. When they took over, they pretty much said they would buy the best players in our market and develop them to sell at profit.

They've previously signed two others in Brattan and Caceres who are now both back on loan to Melbourne City.

Biraz could be amazing. He matured significantly last year and was head and shoulders above the rest of the league. I'm guessing he will get chances in cup games to show his worth. Will probably be pushing for a spot at next WC if we qualify.

Pablo Diablo
July 20th, 2016, 5:30 PM
Silly money for Pogba if true. But hey, it's not my money.

RuneEdge
July 20th, 2016, 5:57 PM
If the sellers are stubborn enough, the buyers will give in providing they have the money. Zenit did it with Hulk for many years, Napoli are doing it with Higuain now.

I saw this online which was interesting.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CnzlNmrW8AAlK2f.jpg

Maybe its the crazy amount of money injected into the sport that's the problem.

Simon
July 20th, 2016, 5:58 PM
The thing is, Pogba isn't just about the football - he's one of only a handful of players in the world who, regardless of performance, is pretty much guaranteed to pay for himself regardless of the transfer fee. I've done a fair bit of (frankly tedious) reading about the branding side of football, and top clubs aligning themselves with superstars is even bigger business than people realise. Pogba seems to be positioned as the next global icon alongside Bale and Neymar, and holding the image rights to players at that level of visibility seems to be an absolute goldmine.

Whoever signs him will make an absolute killing in the long run, and because both United and Pogba are both sponsored by Adidas, things like brand synergy and '360 deals' (I know, forgive me) make it potentially even more profitable - clubs are desperate to sign big players contracted to their sponsored brands to maximise potential profits and avoid the possibility of, using Ronaldo as an example, Adidas profiting on a Nike-sponsored player through his Real Madrid connections.

Sorry, I know that is all very dry and not especially interesting but it is relevant when talking about a huge deal like this. So yeah...in football terms, signing Pogba is possibly debatable. He's a fantastic talent, but probably not as good as he thinks he is and yet to show he can dominate games and bend them to his will the way great midfielders of the recent past like Xavi, Keane, Vieira did. But in overall terms, it's a no-brainer for whoever signs him. 100m for Pogba is not only less overpriced than people claim, it'll most likely turn out to be cheap because owning him, and more importantly his image, is likely to be worth far more than that in the future, before you even consider the possibility of selling him a few years down the line. When it comes to finances in the modern game, at the top table transfer fees aren't the most pressing issue, and unless Pogba ruins his image by murdering a gay prostitute on Canal Street the day he touches down in Manchester, United can be confident that 100m will be covered by the money they make off the back of his image.

Mik
July 20th, 2016, 6:21 PM
Shut him up.

The Rosk
July 20th, 2016, 6:22 PM
Simon is there a financial upside for United signing Pogba?

Simon
July 20th, 2016, 6:28 PM
Ok then it's silly money and they should have signed Matuidi :yes:

RuneEdge
July 20th, 2016, 6:39 PM
Matuidi doesn't know how to dab properly. Rather have Lukaku.

Romford Pele
July 21st, 2016, 6:11 AM
Gotze has re-signed for Dortmund. Cue Liverpool fans losing their shit.

I see Alex Song is off to Russia - shows how money can overcome combating racism. Sad.

Peter Griffin
July 21st, 2016, 6:34 AM
Cue Liverpool fans going mad? Agashahshdkkekwisuxu de ndndjjsjddkak.

son_of_foley
July 21st, 2016, 7:18 AM
Gotze has re-signed for Dortmund. Cue Liverpool fans losing their shit.

I see Alex Song is off to Russia - shows how money can overcome combating racism. Sad.

Are you sayIngram black players should stop playing in Russia? How do you envisage that combating racism as it's what the racist fans want?

Simon
July 21st, 2016, 7:30 AM
That's hardly the point he's making. On an individual basis Alex Song cannot justify going to Russia for anything other than money given the treatment he will get there, nor is it fair to expect him to move there to help the cause, why should he give a fuck about helping a country combat racism when it's not just tolerated but encouraged by the government?

son_of_foley
July 21st, 2016, 7:37 AM
That's hardly the point he's making. On an individual basis Alex Song cannot justify going to Russia for anything other than money given the treatment he will get there, nor is it fair to expect him to move there to help the cause, why should he give a fuck about helping a country combat racism when it's not just tolerated but encouraged by the government?

What point is he making then

Simon
July 21st, 2016, 7:43 AM
That Song is prioritising money over happiness and possibly safety, and that he's greedy, I guess.

son_of_foley
July 21st, 2016, 7:44 AM
Why mention 'combatting racism' then? That's a pretty specific and weird comment

Simon
July 21st, 2016, 7:47 AM
Seems obvious to me at least that he meant 'dealing with racism'.

Beefy
July 21st, 2016, 8:03 AM

That Song is prioritising money over happiness and possibly safety, and that he's greedy, I guess.

You can count the number of transfers in any of the top 20 leagues which are down to anything other than money on the fingers of one hand.

If Barnet were offering Alex Song 5k a week more than he is getting in Russia he'd be playing for Barnet. Every other footballer, white or black, would do the same.

BBF
July 21st, 2016, 8:06 AM
He would be extremely fortunate to receive a contract offer from us with Curtis Weston and Tom Champion to displace.

Mik
July 21st, 2016, 8:14 AM
You can count the number of transfers in any of the top 20 leagues which are down to anything other than money on the fingers of one hand.

If Barnet were offering Alex Song 5k a week more than he is getting in Russia he'd be playing for Barnet. Every other footballer, white or black, would do the same.

Its not quite the same though because he's unlikely to be getting constantly abused in Barnet, so he is literally putting a price on his ability to accept racism directed toward him.

Simon
July 21st, 2016, 8:26 AM
He would get constantly abused in Barnet. Everyone gets constantly abused in Barnet.

Beefy
July 21st, 2016, 8:48 AM
Its not quite the same though because he's unlikely to be getting constantly abused in Barnet, so he is literally putting a price on his ability to accept racism directed toward him.

I understand what you're saying and it obviously rams it home that all footballers are just Professionals looking to maximise their income when the place that they will go to maximise that income is a place where they will get huge amounts of abuse because of the colour of their skin, but it isn't like players in other leagues are coming to England for the weather.

They're all in it for themselves, rightly or wrongly. Us fans like to there's more to it than that, and occasionally there is, but not often.

Simon
July 21st, 2016, 8:57 AM
Don't agree at all. Obviously money is a big issue for players and especially for agents, but you really think a player would choose a mid-table Premier League club over a side in the Premier League because the wages were 5% more? I don't buy it. It's too small an increase.

To get to the elite level of football (by which I mean professional football, not just the top stars) you have to be hugely competitive and dedicated to the game - with exceptions, obviously - and while I've got no doubt that self-interest is extremely high, that is as much about ego as money. These ultra-competitive, driven athletes want to earn big money of course, but they also want to achieve things, and while I've got no doubt that a 50% wage increase would be enough to get someone to fuck off to Russia, or give up Champions League football in favour of a lower-level side, I don't buy that a 5-10% wage increase would be enough. Just like any other job really - you might be willing to do a job you like less or that has lower status if they were willing to pay you double your current wages, but if they were only going to pay you 10% extra? 5% extra? This is before you take into account the fact that a lower wage at a top club might lead to a much bigger wage at a top club further down the line. Your outlook is that footballers, as a general rule, are just mercenaries motivated by money way above everything else, and I don't think that stands up at all.

Romford Pele
July 21st, 2016, 9:01 AM

There you go.

He can pretty much go anywhere he wants, but he has chosen to go to Russia, well known as a racist backwater. Money ahead of principles (or lack of)

Beefy
July 21st, 2016, 9:04 AM
Don't agree at all. Obviously money is a big issue for players and especially for agents, but you really think a player would choose a mid-table Premier League club over a side in the Premier League because the wages were 5% more? I don't buy it. It's too small an increase.

To get to the elite level of football (by which I mean professional football, not just the top stars) you have to be hugely competitive and dedicated to the game - with exceptions, obviously - and while I've got no doubt that self-interest is extremely high, that is as much about ego as money. These ultra-competitive, driven athletes want to earn big money of course, but they also want to achieve things, and while I've got no doubt that a 50% wage increase would be enough to get someone to fuck off to Russia, or give up Champions League football in favour of a lower-level side, I don't buy that a 5-10% wage increase would be enough. Just like any other job really - you might be willing to do a job you like less or that has lower status if they were willing to pay you double your current wages, but if they were only going to pay you 10% extra? 5% extra? This is before you take into account the fact that a lower wage at a top club might lead to a much bigger wage at a top club further down the line. Your outlook is that footballers, as a general rule, are just mercenaries motivated by money way above everything else, and I don't think that stands up at all.

They are not mercenaries - that's football supporter language. That makes it sound like I'm criticising them.

They're businessmen doing what is best for themselves and their families. Which is take the best money available. Players know it, agents know it and the Clubs know it.

Obviously I'm being slightly facetious when I talk about a certain percentage because it has to be at the point where it is worth their while to move - if it is going to cost more to move than the extra money it doesn't make sense. But ultimately it is a rational decision.