PDA

View Full Version : The Transfer Rumours Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 64

El Capitano Gatisto
July 16th, 2015, 6:07 PM
You are far from the only one who thinks Cavani is overrated. In fact, so many people think he is overrated that he is actually underrated at this point. The truth lies somewhere in between. He was brilliant at Napoli and looked a world class striker, but he made the wrong move going to PSG. He should be playing in a better league in his best position.

He has really underwhelmed in the Champions League for PSG at times which obviously is the source of most people not rating him. However, he's a great player when used properly. If Di Maria has to go, then United should get Cavani in return. He would be very effective as the focal point of an attack. He works tirelessly, defends from the front, is superb in the air, has a great touch and is a lethal finisher when on form. He's probably the best striker around right now who is realistically available. Zlatan is 33 now though so it seems unlikely PSG would want to lose him.

Beefy
July 16th, 2015, 6:17 PM
What makes you put Evans above Jagielka?

El Capitano Gatisto
July 16th, 2015, 6:30 PM
I think Evans has genuinely been one of the best defenders in the Premier League at times, in Ferguson's last couple of seasons and in particularly when he was younger in 2009/10 as I said when Van der Sar set the clean sheet record. He's always been strangely lambasted even when playing extremely well and I'm not sure where it came from, but it did become a self-fulfilling prophecy at the end when his confidence under Moyes seemed to dissipate as he was dropped needlessly and then he floundered in Van Gaal's back 3.

I think it may be surprising how much better even Jones and Smalling, neither of whom are as good as Evans, look with a proper midfield in front of them. I think all 3 of those players, while not world class defenders, have suffered due to a lack of midfield structure.

MMH
July 16th, 2015, 6:32 PM
Phil Jones is a caveman of a footballer.

turdpower
July 16th, 2015, 7:15 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that Cavani is stupidly overrated? I have never been massively impressed by him.

He's a great player and is doing OK as a second man to Zlatan. Ideally he'd be the focal point of an attack but PSG play a 433 so he gets stuck outwide. He clearly moved for money previously which has all the echoes of Falcao, but without the injuries, therefore I'm hoping this would be more successful.

MMH
July 16th, 2015, 7:17 PM
He's a great player and is doing OK as a second man to Zlatan. Ideally he'd be the focal point of an attack but PSG play a 433 so he gets stuck outwide. He clearly moved for money previously which has all the echoes of Falcao, but without the injuries, therefore I'm hoping this would be more successful.

Well we will see if you sign him. I have just never been totally convinced by him. He works hard and all that...

Bad Collin
July 16th, 2015, 7:48 PM
These swap deals never happen

McBain
July 16th, 2015, 7:53 PM
Is anyone else doubtful about Benteke succeeding at liverpool? Apparently their crossing average is very low, and he thrives on balls into the box.

son_of_foley
July 17th, 2015, 3:09 AM
Last year their crossing target for a large part of the season was Raheem Stirling.

Also their wide players were more about cutting in and driving at defences. They all round were a bit of a mess going forward last year as they were missing a spearhead of the attack. Benteke should offer that. You've also got JIMMY MILNER now who can wop a few in from wide

Bad Collin
July 17th, 2015, 3:54 AM
We need to be more direct this season and Benteke will help with that but he is not Andy Carroll, he is a very good all round footballer. I'm sure he'll do very well.

Simon
July 17th, 2015, 4:29 AM
I've rarely seen Cavani play well either, it's the old Ibrahimovic thing where if a player doesn't play well against English sides in the CL, you get a distorted view of how good they are.

Benteke is good enough to score goals at any team in the PL and should score plenty for Liverpool, whether he's good enough to make a difference against the top sides is another matter.

Simon
July 17th, 2015, 4:42 AM
Martinez has come out and said there's no truth to the Evans deal. Weird.

McBain
July 17th, 2015, 5:16 AM
I'm sad to see TEKKERS go anyway, I hope we can spend the money wisely...:happysad:

The Rosk
July 17th, 2015, 5:18 AM
I've rarely seen Cavani play well either, it's the old Ibrahimovic thing where if a player doesn't play well against English sides in the CL, you get a distorted view of how good they are.

Benteke is good enough to score goals at any team in the PL and should score plenty for Liverpool, whether he's good enough to make a difference against the top sides is another matter.

Benteke has scored:

5 against Liverpool
3 against Arsenal
2 against Chelsea
2 against Man Utd

in the 2 1/2 years since joining Villa as a relative unknown. Not too bad given we're shit. He's a bully who will score goals anywhere. And his best years are probably coming.

son_of_foley
July 17th, 2015, 5:37 AM
Peters had the last laugh on you here Rosk

son_of_foley
July 17th, 2015, 5:38 AM
He's probably laughing at you from the comfort of an away friendly pub as we speak

Ringo
July 17th, 2015, 5:45 AM
Sky says Everton have rejected a £20m offer from us for John Stones. Saw that one coming.

RFF Champ
July 17th, 2015, 5:48 AM
Jack Butland confirmed as Stoke's first choice keeper this year.

Simon
July 17th, 2015, 5:56 AM
Good news, if he's as good as people say then that's three competent goalkeepers in the England squad once Forster is back fit.

son_of_foley
July 17th, 2015, 6:08 AM
He is very good already. It's all down to how he develops over next few years but he's capable

Simon
July 17th, 2015, 6:15 AM
Ramos staying at Madrid according to Benitez. Madrid apparently happy to wait a year for De Gea and take him on a free next year. Wonder if United's attitude towards selling De Gea will change if Madrid take that stance.

Also, wtf is going on with Michu? A year ago he was rated at £20m and got a big loan move to Napoli - I know he's been injured pretty much ever since, but suddenly they're happy to release him on a free? I don't get it. Surely they'd still find a buyer for a player with such a good record prior to his injury.

RFF Champ
July 17th, 2015, 6:33 AM
He is very good already. It's all down to how he develops over next few years but he's capable

The only thing is question I think is concentration. He's an excellent communicator, comes for crosses etc. but the errors he has made seem to be down to concentration. I'm confident he'll be England's number one for a long time though.

Romford Pele
July 17th, 2015, 6:43 AM
Chelsea have had a £20m offer rejected for John Stones. Perhaps Evans will be his replacement?

£20m is a pretty good offer to be honest, I'm not sure if Everton would get more...what do you think MMH/Ringo?

Romford Pele
July 17th, 2015, 6:46 AM
Downing re-joined Boro for £5m. Fair play to him, obviously wanted to go back to his home

Bad Collin
July 17th, 2015, 7:00 AM
Chelsea have had a £20m offer rejected for John Stones. Perhaps Evans will be his replacement?

£20m is a pretty good offer to be honest, I'm not sure if Everton would get more...what do you think MMH/Ringo?

Why would they take that? £20m is a drop in the ocean to a premier league team at the moment and he is very highly rated. Why would Stones go there now? He needs to play games. Seems like a strange one to me unless Chelsea think he can slot in the team straight away, in that case they'll need to pay more than £20m

Beefy
July 17th, 2015, 7:03 AM
Yeah this is like what I was saying about the Sterling thing - the argument to accept it is that it's £20m. So? Stones is a kid and Everton are earning a fortune in TV rights. Why would they sell?

Ringo
July 17th, 2015, 7:05 AM
Everton will definitely get more than £20m when they do eventually sell. Not surprised we're interested as he ticks all the boxes. Young, English, can play at both RB and CB.

Romford Pele
July 17th, 2015, 7:09 AM
Why would they take that? £20m is a drop in the ocean to a premier league team at the moment and he is very highly rated. Why would Stones go there now? He needs to play games. Seems like a strange one to me unless Chelsea think he can slot in the team straight away, in that case they'll need to pay more than £20m

Has he even played for England yet? Good player for sure, but again £30m seems a hell of a lot of money for a kid.

Why would Everton sell? What if Stones wants out and hands in a transfer request - that would weaken their hand.

Simon
July 17th, 2015, 7:17 AM
Everton will definitely get more than £20m when they do eventually sell. Not surprised we're interested as he ticks all the boxes. Young, English, can play at both RB and CB.

Is he that good though? Whenever I've seen him, what others have called composed on the ball I've seen as complacent, even dozy at times. There's a bit of David Luiz about him I think.

Romford Pele
July 17th, 2015, 7:52 AM
Ramos using United just like Alves did then.

MMH
July 17th, 2015, 7:58 AM

Its an incredibly derisory offer to be honest.

Rio Ferdinand cost 30M what, 15 years ago?

Stones has the potential to be very special. hes already a very good defender, great on the ball, fast, good in the air, has loads of confidence, is a current England International and is a very down to earth lad. He also has 5 years on his contract.

I dont know if we would get more, thats beside the point really. Now obviously nobody will offer this amount of money but I honestly think for us to even think about selling him you would be looking at 40M plus to pique our interest. there is a lot of money going round the game right now so we wont be dealing for the perceived going rate currently.

MMH
July 17th, 2015, 7:59 AM
Is he that good though? Whenever I've seen him, what others have called composed on the ball I've seen as complacent, even dozy at times. There's a bit of David Luiz about him I think.

You are miles out. Seriously hes exceptional. Hes more Baresi than Luiz.

Oh by the way, David Luiz cost 50m just to put the offer into perspective.

Torn
July 17th, 2015, 8:01 AM
"Has he even played for England yet" how are you used to supposed to have an opinion on the player and the related offer when you can't even get these basic facts about him nailed down?

Of course 20m is far too low. He only signed a new 5 year deal last summer too.

Romford Pele
July 17th, 2015, 8:04 AM
I was asking if he had or not, I couldn't remember.

From seeing Everton play I always thought he looked good, but people are talking about Rio Ferdinand and Baresi which seems a bit mad.

Simon
July 17th, 2015, 8:08 AM
You are miles out. Seriously hes exceptional. Hes more Baresi than Luiz.

Oh by the way, David Luiz cost 50m just to put the offer into perspective.

I can only go by the games I've seen him in, there haven't been that many but what stands out in my mind is him overplaying in and around (TOWNSEND) his own box and getting himself into trouble.

Luiz was probably overpriced but I actually think he's better than people give him credit for, and he's showing that now at PSG - he's used to playing in teams where one of the centre backs pushes out and essentially plays as a holding midfielder, dropping back into defence when his team don't have the ball. I know he has played as an actual DM as well for them of course. He looked like a clown for Chelsea because he wasn't supposed to be playing that role, but often did so anyway. Put him in just about any other top side in Europe and he'd be class IMO.

MMH
July 17th, 2015, 8:09 AM
I was asking if he had or not, I couldn't remember.

From seeing Everton play I always thought he looked good, but people are talking about Rio Ferdinand and Baresi which seems a bit mad.

Nah its not you know, he genuinely does have the potential to be that good.

Hes obviously not there right now, and he may never be, but he really is an exceptional prospect and not just from an English perspective. At his age level there aint many better than him around.

MMH
July 17th, 2015, 8:13 AM
I can only go by the games I've seen him in, there haven't been that many but what stands out in my mind is him overplaying in and around (TOWNSEND) his own box and getting himself into trouble.

Luiz was probably overpriced but I actually think he's better than people give him credit for, and he's showing that now at PSG - he's used to playing in teams where one of the centre backs pushes out and essentially plays as a holding midfielder, dropping back into defence when his team don't have the ball. In that role I think he's superb. He looked like a clown for Chelsea because he wasn't supposed to be playing that role, but often did so anyway. Put him in just about any other top side in Europe and he'd be class IMO.

Well of course, thats understandable.

Hes young so he will make mistakes. The thing I like about him is once he has made a mistake he never seems to repeat it again.

David Luiz is a decent footballer, hes an awful defender though.

Beefy
July 17th, 2015, 8:34 AM
The point is regardless of whether he is the real deal or not, Everton have no reason to sell for £20m. Or £30m. They're about to start a TV deal that will earn them £100m a year and Stones is 21 with maybe 13 years of a career ahead of him. They don't have an obligation to sell just because someone else thinks they've been offered a fair price.

They sell at the point where the money makes it worth their while.

Simon
July 17th, 2015, 8:35 AM
Oh God...if the rumours on Twitter are true, The Rosk will finally snap.

MMH
July 17th, 2015, 8:37 AM
Oh God...if the rumours on Twitter are true, The Rosk will finally snap.

Go on....

Simon
July 17th, 2015, 8:38 AM
Sorry that wasn't meant to be a tease, I thought the news was everywhere - Delph has apparently changed his mind and now DOES want to go to City. He's having a medical right now at the same hospital as Sterling...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CKHa96iWoAAloNF.png

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CKHa93fWoAAJ6vh.png

Romford Pele
July 17th, 2015, 9:16 AM
No way. He will go all Mark Hammer is this is true...

The Rosk
July 17th, 2015, 9:16 AM
He can't be that stupid.

Rip
July 17th, 2015, 9:18 AM
If he does then he will instantly become one of the most reviled players in the league, complete bastards trick to do that to the fans.

The Rosk
July 17th, 2015, 9:24 AM
OK so now the team looks like:

Guzan

Hutton
Richards
Okore
Amavi

Westwood
Gueye
Sanchez

Sinclair
Agbonlahor
Grealish

Relegation.

The Rosk
July 17th, 2015, 9:38 AM
Five months ago:

"I am a loyal person and committing my future will hopefully show everybody what type of guy I am. I feel like this is me – I love the club, I love being here and I want to put 100% into everything I do here. This is my club and I want to be here. That’s why I am committing my future. There was no way I was going to bail out. I am here for the long run."

Last week:

“I'm aware there has been intense media speculation surrounding my future in the last 24 hours and I want to set the record straight. I'm not leaving. I'm staying at the football club and I can't wait for the start of the season and captaining this great football club."

There is no way this can be real.. He cannot be that stupid. Surely.

Romford Pele
July 17th, 2015, 9:39 AM
It's on BBC mate. He is having a medical. I am speechless, even for modern football this is unbelievable.

I wonder what his excuse will be - Benteke going?

Rip
July 17th, 2015, 9:42 AM
Really looking forward to him speaking to the press, surely there's no way he tries to weasel out, he needs finish blame pug and be honest, however this is football so he could blame anything...

The Rosk
July 17th, 2015, 9:44 AM
Well, if this is real, then it is looking like a pretty superb transfer window for us.

OUT:

Ron Vlaar
Darren Bent
Andi Weimann
Matt Lowton
Yacouba Sylla
Enda Stevens
Tom Cleverley
Philippe Senderos
Shay Given
Niklas Helenius
Antonio Luna
Christian Benteke
Fabian Delph

IN:

Idrissa Gueye
Micah Richards
Mark Bunn

I will be shocked if this is an actual thing happening. If it does, then it's a shame I'll just look racist if I go and hang an effigy of him in my back garden.

Romford Pele
July 17th, 2015, 9:50 AM
Thinking about it he cant even blame Villa. Everyone knew Benteke had a buyout clause, so there is nothing the club could do if someone activated it.

I geniunely don't know what excuse he can come up with. City are gonna have some popular players next year with him and Sterling.

Ringo
July 17th, 2015, 10:00 AM
Journalist @skysports_bryan saying on SSN right now that City will be paying Delph 180k Pounds a week. Wage increase by 500%.

edit: this is apparently bollocks, bryan swanson said nothing of the sort.

The Rosk
July 17th, 2015, 10:01 AM
It's OK. There is no possible explanation, so there is no way this can be true. It's a mistake. As Big Tim says, "It's just an example of the measure of the guy really that he decided to stay - the loyalty he's shown to the fans, the football club and the chairman. And I'm delighted to have him here next season."

Fabulous Fabian Delph is staying lads. No chance he's leaving. No way.

MMH
July 17th, 2015, 10:14 AM
No way are they paying Delph 180k a week.

His name is Fabian, he was always going to be a bit of a knob.

El Capitano Gatisto
July 17th, 2015, 10:15 AM
We need to be more direct this season and Benteke will help with that but he is not Andy Carroll, he is a very good all round footballer. I'm sure he'll do very well.

Benteke isn't really any better an all-round footballer than Carroll. Neither Lambert nor Balotelli have had any joy at Liverpool either, which suggests an on-going problem with the target man style striker for Rodgers' team. I think there is a reasonable argument Benteke won't work out either. He plays best when crosses and direct balls go up to him, that is the opposite of how Liverpool play.

Simon
July 17th, 2015, 10:15 AM
I'm still not best pleased we signed a player called Toby.

The Rosk
July 17th, 2015, 10:33 AM
I give it three hours before Delph tweets a picture of him kissing the badge. Come on Fabs. You can do it. Fuck this bullshit lot of cunts. You are a hero.

Simon
July 17th, 2015, 10:35 AM
Which badge?

The Rosk
July 17th, 2015, 10:40 AM
Which badge?

Ours. He is our captain and there's no way he's going to go to City.

Simon
July 17th, 2015, 10:40 AM
How are you gonna get the money together for Adebayor and Townsend then?!

MMH
July 17th, 2015, 10:59 AM
I have just read that "Chelsea are about to offer 26M plus the number 6 shirt (:wtf:) for Man Utd target John Stones."

We may as well not fucking exist....

Simon
July 17th, 2015, 11:02 AM
I love the idea that Stones wouldn't leave if he was offered the 15 shirt.

Rip
July 17th, 2015, 11:10 AM
Benteke isn't really any better an all-round footballer than Carroll. Neither Lambert nor Balotelli have had any joy at Liverpool either, which suggests an on-going problem with the target man style striker for Rodgers' team. I think there is a reasonable argument Benteke won't work out either. He plays best when crosses and direct balls go up to him, that is the opposite of how Liverpool play.

I can't believe he keeps signing the same type of player, slight variations of style but essentially just refusing to accept it doesn't work.

Ours. He is our captain and there's no way he's going to go to City.

Give it up mate, he's another bloody mercenary.

RuneEdge
July 17th, 2015, 11:15 AM
Ramos using United just like Alves did then.

That'll only be true once we know Ramos has received a new contract. The news right now is that Ramos still wants to leave but Madrid won't sell him.

Ringo
July 17th, 2015, 1:36 PM
Manchester City are delighted to announce Fabian Delph has joined the Club from @AVFCOfficial #WelcomeFabian...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CKIh-ZiUsAAjogW.jpg:large

Chris Scott
July 17th, 2015, 2:10 PM
WTF that was quick with Delph. City defo must've guaranteed him plenty of games and obviously offered him more money.

Romford Pele
July 17th, 2015, 2:50 PM
Has Delph commented on it yet? Will be interesting to see what he says.

Cannot imagine the abuse he will be getting against Villa next season!

Ringo
July 17th, 2015, 2:53 PM
Delph: "The decision to stay initially was purely based on the emotion and feelings that I hold for the club."

"Rather than looking at the football opportunity that had been placed in front of me."

"Micah Richards told me that as far as he is concerned, this is the best club in the world and he had the time of his life here."

Delph says every time he's played City he's been chasing shadows and is happy to have players like Silva, Yaya, Nasri and Kun on his side.

"One thing I can promise is I’ll never stop working hard for the team and I’m looking forward to playing in front of the City fans."

MMH
July 17th, 2015, 2:55 PM
Way to throw Richards under the bus at his new club.

The Rosk
July 17th, 2015, 2:57 PM
It's all a ruse lads. He wouldn't got back on his word twice. Nobody would do that.

Chris Scott
July 17th, 2015, 3:09 PM
He was probably promised he will play every carling cup game and captain the team.

RuneEdge
July 17th, 2015, 3:09 PM
Wow, what a knobhead. Still thought there's no way he's leaving today.

The Rosk
July 17th, 2015, 3:29 PM
I don't know what you are worried about lads. It's clearly a Photoshop job and a major hack of all websites reporting this "news".

The man said he wanted to prove his loyalty and that this was his club and he wasn't leaving. So just let it go yeah?

The Rosk
July 17th, 2015, 3:44 PM
I genuinely don't think I've ever felt so depressed about football.

Rip
July 17th, 2015, 3:56 PM
First time city play villa Richards is going to write his name in every villa heart by smashing Delph after that comment.

Bad Collin
July 17th, 2015, 4:02 PM
I don't think you can blame him for taking a 500% pay rise but he's an idiot for making that loyalty statement.

Romford Pele
July 17th, 2015, 4:08 PM
Haha Richards must be seething tonight, he has been dropped right in it.

Simon
July 20th, 2015, 5:54 AM
Apparently Villa are pushing hard for Adebayor...but predictably he wants the world from both us and Villa to make it happen. Nothing new on the Townsend link.

Romford Pele
July 20th, 2015, 1:51 PM
Villa shouldn't go near Adebayor he is toxic.

Ringo
July 20th, 2015, 1:58 PM
Sky saying we're selling Filipe Luis back to Atletico for the same amount that we paid for him. That'd be great if so, figured we'd take a hit. We can spend that money on a much younger player like Baba Rahman as has been rumoured.

Simon
July 20th, 2015, 4:49 PM
Appaz we want Fellaini. Lennon leaving to West Ham, Everton, Turkey, take your pick.

RuneEdge
July 20th, 2015, 6:20 PM
We'll need Fellaini if all our plans turn to shit next season.

RuneEdge
July 21st, 2015, 1:17 PM
So LvG said in a press conference that we're working on a deal for a "surprise" mystery striker that the media haven't picked up on so far, after Paddy Crerand yesterday said on MUTV that "we're in for a shock" regarding transfer news.

And now apparently the odds of Ibrahimovic to United have dropped really low. :panic:

Simon
July 21st, 2015, 1:32 PM
Oh God I would love to see Zlatan in the Prem.

El Capitano Gatisto
July 21st, 2015, 1:48 PM
That would be funny but if he's going anywhere it'll be back to Italy.

RuneEdge
July 21st, 2015, 1:51 PM
My main concern right now is that surely this means Di Maria goes the other way. Ibra will be 34 years old in October, where as Di Maria's 27. How many more years can we reasonably get out of Ibra at this stage?
We've been linked with Pedro so I guess he'd be Di Maria's direct replacement but personally for me, I'd prefer the flair and excitement (and dem rabonas) that Di Maria brings.

Having said that, Pedro might be the best man (other than Muller) if Di Maria's made his mind up to leave.

Simon
July 21st, 2015, 2:02 PM
Pedro is class. His first touch makes me want to give up football.

El Capitano Gatisto
July 21st, 2015, 2:04 PM
I don't think Di Maria will go unless PSG put in an absurd bid. I think there's a lot of posturing going on from various sides there, with the French media throwing out nonsense and ultimately he'll stay with the knowledge he's got to perform. If United realistically aren't getting Bale or Muller so Di Maria leaving would leave the forward positions looking inexperienced and light. Pedro would be an excellent signing for the squad and bring goals, I don't think him leaving means Di Maria has to leave, I think it just makes Depay more likely to be a striker.

Simon
July 21st, 2015, 2:25 PM
Cambiasso has fucked Leicester off. Would love us to go in for him.

RuneEdge
July 21st, 2015, 2:27 PM
I'm just thinking PSG asking for Di Maria (since they've wanted him for ages) makes sense if we went in for Ibra. And also, how do you fit everyone in if Di Maria doesnt leave?

Judging by the last friendly, we're playing 4-2-3-1 now with Depay in behind the striker. So the team could potentially be:

Zlatan

Pedro --------- Depay --------- Di Maria

Schweinsteiger -- Schneiderlin

That's with Rooney, Young, Mata, Januzaj, Fellaini, Pereira, Wilson and Hernandez as backup for the attacking four positions alone. I suppose we could make it work if the three youngsters went out on loan.

El Capitano Gatisto
July 21st, 2015, 2:31 PM
Young and Fellaini won't feature much in a team going for trophies. Zlatan isn't joining and wouldn't start ahead of Rooney. Perreira likely won't feature much either.

Simon
July 21st, 2015, 2:57 PM
I still think Young and Fellaini will have their part to play. They did as much as anyone bar De Gea to keep United afloat last year.

RuneEdge
July 21st, 2015, 3:31 PM
Young and Fellaini won't feature much in a team going for trophies. Zlatan isn't joining and wouldn't start ahead of Rooney. Perreira likely won't feature much either.

It's not as straight forward as that. Firstly, I know Rooney won't be dropped. I was just making the point of how many players we'd have to work with if Di Maria stayed, and Ibra and Pedro did come in.
But besides that, Young and Fellaini's involvement depends on how the rest of the team does. Fellaini provides the team with something different, and also had a handful of goals to his name from last season. I don't expect him to start games, but I can't see him not being used as a impact sub. If the game is tied with 30 mins to go, and we aren't creating enough chances, Fellaini's going to be brought on.
Young will also get games (especially if we dont get another winger). LvG likes Young. He's more disciplined compared to the other attacking players we have. The last friendly had (what seemed like) our main team in the first half, and then the remaining players in the second half. Young played alongside the first team with Depay, Rooney, etc, basically implying that we'll start the season with him and take it from there. Tonight's game will feature the exact same line up too.

As for Pereira, he's the best reserve player we have. Better than Januzaj even. There were rumours only 4-5 months ago that he wanted to leave for Juventus but we desperately tied him down with a new contract in May. After the game last week, majority of United fans said he was the stand out player from the match. The club expects youngsters to be filtered into the first team every season, and this is most likely his year.

Gary J
July 21st, 2015, 3:36 PM
That would be funny but if he's going anywhere it'll be back to Italy.

He's off to the MLS i think i seem to remember it coming out he had applied for a long term US visa.

Bad Collin
July 21st, 2015, 6:55 PM
Apaz the mystery man is Llorente

RFF Champ
July 22nd, 2015, 12:24 AM
Leicester are well rid of Cambiasso.

Peter Griffin
July 22nd, 2015, 1:04 AM
Yeh he was proper wank last season.

RuneEdge
July 22nd, 2015, 3:56 AM
Apaz the mystery man is Llorente

Now he's saying that the mystery man isnt a striker. :wtf:
LvG is just fucking with us now. We probably won't get anyone.

Simon
July 22nd, 2015, 4:05 AM
Leicester are well rid of Cambiasso.

:wtf: He was fantastic last year.

Simon
July 22nd, 2015, 4:06 AM
http://spurscommunity.co.uk/index.php?attachments/gueye-jpg.19469/

:lol: I swear this week has been designed to upset The Rosk.

Ringo
July 22nd, 2015, 4:09 AM
Now he's saying that the mystery man isnt a striker. :wtf:
LvG is just fucking with us now. We probably won't get anyone.

Pedro.

Watford are signing Jose Manuel Jurado, Steven Berghuis and Manuel Britos. Three more good signings. They're looking strong.

Beefy
July 22nd, 2015, 4:14 AM
I think Watford and Bournemouth will both be great to watch this season.

Simon
July 22nd, 2015, 4:32 AM
Yeah when you look at the signings Watford have made, you really have to worry about a few recent Prem regulars. Lerner really needs to speculate to accumulate in the next couple of weeks, pulling in £30m for Benteke should allow Sherwood to improve at least three or four areas of the Villa squad but if not they are in real trouble, you simply cannot lose the spine of a side which only barely scraped to safety and expect to survive again.

Leicester could be in trouble again I think, Ranieri's done nothing over the past few years and despite a decent pedigree over his career he's always had the mark of a lovable loser for me, though I know this means little. Losing Cambiasso is huge regardless of Alex's mad opinions, and I'm not sure spending big money on another striker was the right move when they already have Ulloa, Vardy and Kramaric. That said I've no idea how good Okazaki is.

And then Sunderland...decent buys in Coates and Lens who seemingly has a good reputation, but are they improving as much as everyone around them? Doesn't look like it to me. With Newcastle and Watford spending big on established players the relegation scrap looks on paper a lot smaller than last year, with IMO only Villa, Sunderland and Norwich looking like obvious strugglers.

The mid-table could be packed this year with lots of teams using the TV money to improve significantly - I don't see a big difference now between recent upper-midtable perennials like Spurs, Liverpool and Everton and teams like Stoke, Southampton, Newcastle, West Ham and Swansea.

Beefy
July 22nd, 2015, 5:03 AM
I fancy West Ham for top six this year.

Simon
July 22nd, 2015, 5:19 AM
Don't think they'll be as good as that but probably not far off.

Beefy
July 22nd, 2015, 5:29 AM
I put top eight originally but edited for the purposes of the bold predictions thread...

RuneEdge
July 22nd, 2015, 5:30 AM
They've got a good defensive base, I think. Alex Song should be staying, and they've just brought in Ogbonna from Juve who's supposed to be good. But top six seems a bit of a stretch when you consider who the top six teams in the league actually are.

son_of_foley
July 22nd, 2015, 5:33 AM
Stones looks a good player but surely questions need to be asked of this academy.

Why is Nathan Ake not ready? Will Bamford replace Remy soon or will they go buy someone else. Chelsea have been prepping for this home grown rule for years so why are they resorting to spending big.

As I said in isolation the move makes a lot of sense but in general the progression to first team seems hard. Bamford has been pretty much text book in his progression but I can't think of many others who have had that level of success

son_of_foley
July 22nd, 2015, 5:37 AM
Yeah when you look at the signings Watford have made, you really have to worry about a few recent Prem regulars. Lerner really needs to speculate to accumulate in the next couple of weeks, pulling in £30m for Benteke should allow Sherwood to improve at least three or four areas of the Villa squad but if not they are in real trouble, you simply cannot lose the spine of a side which only barely scraped to safety and expect to survive again.

Leicester could be in trouble again I think, Ranieri's done nothing over the past few years and despite a decent pedigree over his career he's always had the mark of a lovable loser for me, though I know this means little. Losing Cambiasso is huge regardless of Alex's mad opinions, and I'm not sure spending big money on another striker was the right move when they already have Ulloa, Vardy and Kramaric. That said I've no idea how good Okazaki is.

And then Sunderland...decent buys in Coates and Lens who seemingly has a good reputation, but are they improving as much as everyone around them? Doesn't look like it to me. With Newcastle and Watford spending big on established players the relegation scrap looks on paper a lot smaller than last year, with IMO only Villa, Sunderland and Norwich looking like obvious strugglers.

The mid-table could be packed this year with lots of teams using the TV money to improve significantly - I don't see a big difference now between recent upper-midtable perennials like Spurs, Liverpool and Everton and teams like Stoke, Southampton, Newcastle, West Ham and Swansea.

I think Newcastle as of today are still in trouble. The atmosphere has gone toxic and the defense is an absolute mess. Can McClaren fix the defense? That was our frailty but he may decide to play expansive attacking foitball and say fuck it. Mitrovic is a risk as well. I think theyll come good but there's a lot lot more work needed to that squad there's 100% some bad eggs in there.

Simon
July 22nd, 2015, 5:54 AM
I think Newcastle as of today are still in trouble. The atmosphere has gone toxic and the defense is an absolute mess. Can McClaren fix the defense? That was our frailty but he may decide to play expansive attacking foitball and say fuck it. Mitrovic is a risk as well. I think theyll come good but there's a lot lot more work needed to that squad there's 100% some bad eggs in there.

You may be right, I just think the signing of Wijnaldum in particular was a step in the right direction - captain of PSV at a young age, clearly someone who is willing to put a shift in. Him and Colback looks a decent centre mid partnership. As you say Mitrovic could go either way but the fact that Ashley was willing to sanction £13m on what is basically a bit of a punt is presumably a sign that he realises he needs to spend more to keep Newcastle afloat.

Ringo
July 22nd, 2015, 7:19 AM
Stones looks a good player but surely questions need to be asked of this academy.

Why is Nathan Ake not ready?

I don't disagree but it's probably Andreas Christensen who would be more likely to make it as a CB option. Aké is a bit short and has seen most of his first team minutes at DM or LB.

Not English but he is home grown and as our resident youth expert said on Twitter...

Give Andreas Christensen 40 PL games at Everton and Chelsea would probably pay £30m for him as well. Start trusting your own.

Simon
July 22nd, 2015, 7:26 AM
Christensen is on loan at Monchengladbach this year isn't he? Good opportunity to show his worth.

Ringo
July 22nd, 2015, 8:26 AM
Yup, possible two year loan. We can recall him after the first season.

Bad Collin
July 22nd, 2015, 4:47 PM
http://assets.lfcimages.com/uploads/6261__5718__benteke_7_513X307.jpg

It's done. Let's hope he's more Drogba than Carroll.

Chris Scott
July 22nd, 2015, 5:17 PM
:yes:

Quality buy BC. I've spent the last 3 days convincing fellow fans and blue noses how he'll do the business for us.

Bad Collin
July 22nd, 2015, 5:37 PM
I love him. I'm excited about the new season now, they always do this to me.

The Rosk
July 22nd, 2015, 5:42 PM
I hate football.

Ringo
July 22nd, 2015, 6:03 PM
Some French journo who is apparently quite reliable says Di Maria to PSG is done and he'll be unveiled Friday.

MMH
July 22nd, 2015, 6:04 PM
I hate football.

It is a bit shit really isnt it?

_me
July 22nd, 2015, 6:09 PM
It is a bit shit really isnt it?
And Stones isn't even gone yet. Or have you already made peace with his eventual departure?

MMH
July 22nd, 2015, 6:33 PM
And Stones isn't even gone yet. Or have you already made peace with his eventual departure?

Players come and go. Im too old to be remotely bothered about it. If he stays or not we will still end up in roughly the same position.

I dont think he will be moving this season though. He's not pushing for a move and we want ridiculous money for him and we never sell for cheap. The campaign to unsettle him (which doesnt seem to be working) is pretty shoddy though.

Mik
July 22nd, 2015, 7:06 PM
I guess that's the difference between your team and mine and rosk's teams. Lose a couple of players or do well in the transfer marked and you'll rise or drop 4-5 spaces, leaving you either challenging for Europe or in mid table mediocrity. We have a bad transfer window (either losing players or not buying well) and it's yet another relegation dogfight to look forward to.

MMH
July 22nd, 2015, 7:21 PM
I guess that's the difference between your team and mine and rosk's teams. Lose a couple of players or do well in the transfer marked and you'll rise or drop 4-5 spaces, leaving you either challenging for Europe or in mid table mediocrity. We have a bad transfer window (either losing players or not buying well) and it's yet another relegation dogfight to look forward to.

Aye thats the case for now. We have been there ourselves too of course in recent times and it's not a nice place to be in. Thankfully we have quite a good set up right now where the chairman gives what he can but wont go overboard either.

Either way though three big clubs like ours stand no chance of winning anything right now except maybe a flukey cup run or something and unless someone with more money than sense takes over one of us its going to be that way for a while. Clubs cant build proper squads to compete these days because if you have players doing well they get snapped up by the "big" clubs to sit on their benches or whatever. Its incredibly dull and pointless. Our clubs dont compete, they exist.

RFF Champ
July 22nd, 2015, 10:44 PM
:wtf: He was fantastic last year.

That's a long way from how I saw it. Of the first 29 games of the season Leicester won just 2 games that he started. His wheels have gone and his performances illustrated the kind of slow, negative football that got Leicester into a position where they hugely underperformed. I made a comment about how there was no chance Leicester would go down last summer which Peter loved and quoted. Most decent judges at the start of the season had them around the 11th best team in the league, they largely underperformed due to Pearson's odd tactics and huge blindspots for Cambiasso and Albrighton, while completely altering the football they played so dominantly in the Championship.

The whole Leicester reception has shown some very clouded judgment. Largely that's related to the way Pearson's stock rose for 'keeping them up' when in reality they shouldn't have ever been in that position. Secondly the addition of Huth, and introducing Albrighton and a system that was more adventurous led to better results. Had Pearson been sacked and replaced before the uptake in form then that uptake would likely have still occurred and the replacement would have gained that recognition. It just highlights how shallow the whole notion of 'form' and focus on short term results is.

RuneEdge
July 23rd, 2015, 5:32 AM
Some French journo who is apparently quite reliable says Di Maria to PSG is done and he'll be unveiled Friday.

:(
It's looking more and more likely to happen as the days go by. If the money goes towards Muller (unlikely) or Bale (really unlikely), then I'd be ok with it. But it's starting to look like Pedro will be the direct replacement.
If I'm being honest, I'd rather we didnt get another striker in and kept Di Maria along with Pedro. Depay looks like he's going to be playing up front, and we still have Hernandez who's more or less been confirmed as staying. Judging by the last two games we played, we still have problems creating chances. Other than individual moments from certain players, I dont think the team has clicked yet as an attacking/creative unit.

Romford Pele
July 23rd, 2015, 5:59 AM
I'm still not convinced Benteke is the right man for Liverpool style of play.

I think he was available so Rodgers just got him. Brendans transfer record is quite poor so see how this comes off.

Also, am suprised Benteke went there as Liverpool are not in the CL. Presumably he had other offers.

Beefy
July 23rd, 2015, 6:06 AM
When players say they want to play in the Champions League they usually mean they want to be paid Champions League money. You'd assume that is what he is getting at Liverpool.

Simon
July 23rd, 2015, 6:06 AM
Adebayor to Villa looks like it's actually going to happen. Chiriches to Fiorentina as well. This has been a superb effort to get rid of the dead wood but where are the incoming players :\

Romford Pele
July 23rd, 2015, 7:39 AM
Villa will go down if they sign him, mark my words. Dreadful character.

McBain
July 23rd, 2015, 7:51 AM
urgh

Chris Scott
July 23rd, 2015, 7:52 AM

I think he was available so Rodgers just got him. Brendans transfer record is quite poor so see how this comes off.

Also, am suprised Benteke went there as Liverpool are not in the CL. Presumably he had other offers.

Lot of talk that Rodgers will finally change our play as last season teams knew how to stop us far to often.

MMH
July 23rd, 2015, 8:18 AM
When players say they want to play in the Champions League they usually mean they want to be paid Champions League money. You'd assume that is what he is getting at Liverpool.

Yup, otherwise they would all be rocking up at Celtic or Basel.

_me
July 23rd, 2015, 10:12 AM
Adebayor to Villa looks like it's actually going to happen. Chiriches to Fiorentina as well. This has been a superb effort to get rid of the dead wood but where are the incoming players :\
Less is more. The team will be better just getting rid of the dead weight not dragging down the rest. Can you imagine what trying to practicing with Adebayor is like? Trying hard for 5 minutes then just wandering around throwing dirty looks at his teammates for an hour

Simon
July 23rd, 2015, 10:42 AM

I don't think that's really fair. Elite footballers get to where they are by being driven by a competitive instinct, it's the only way to get to the top unless your natural ability is superhuman - I'm sure there are plenty motivated only by money, but it's very cynical to act like most/all of them are like that. The Champions League thing is a bit of a red herring, it's about playing for a top side capable of competing at the sharp end of the competition - that's why the top players don't want to go to Celtic or Basel.

Peter Griffin
July 23rd, 2015, 11:21 AM
Shackell given permission by burnley to hold talks with derby :)

Gary J
July 23rd, 2015, 11:38 AM

Could be worse you could support the only league team who have not bought in a single new player.

Ringo
July 23rd, 2015, 2:05 PM
Now that Liverpool have Benteke, Ings & Origi joining Sturridge, Balotelli, Lambert & Borini to compete for what looks like 1 starting striker spot, who is expected to leave? Borini's a given but I don't think I've seen any of the others linked with moves lately.

Peter Griffin
July 23rd, 2015, 2:09 PM
Lambert to WBA appaz.

turdpower
July 23rd, 2015, 2:15 PM

Why would he go to Liverpool above anyone else? They rarely offer wages above and beyond anyone else and they don't offer football that's going to win major honours.

I imagine it's the only realistic offer he got, with nobody else wanting to pay that release clause.

Bad Collin
July 23rd, 2015, 2:19 PM
Now that Liverpool have Benteke, Ings & Origi joining Sturridge, Balotelli, Lambert & Borini to compete for what looks like 1 starting striker spot, who is expected to leave? Borini's a given but I don't think I've seen any of the others linked with moves lately.

Beneteke and Sturridge are the main options, Ings and Origi will play league cup and UEFA cup games wile getting a few main games. Lambo to WBA, Borini to anywhere, Balotelli? Fuck knows.

Simon
July 23rd, 2015, 2:28 PM
Other than Benteke and Lambert who is presumably off, they can all play wide of or behind a main striker so they could get games there...although you've also got Firmino, Coutinho, Lallana etc competing for those spots.

MMH
July 23rd, 2015, 2:29 PM
I don't think that's really fair. Elite footballers get to where they are by being driven by a competitive instinct, it's the only way to get to the top unless your natural ability is superhuman - I'm sure there are plenty motivated only by money, but it's very cynical to act like most/all of them are like that. The Champions League thing is a bit of a red herring, it's about playing for a top side capable of competing at the sharp end of the competition - that's why the top players don't want to go to Celtic or Basel.

Celtic and Basel dont pay top wages either of course....

Ringo
July 24th, 2015, 6:23 AM
Apparently Villa have had a £12m bid accepted for Jordan Ayew. Signed last year for £3m and had an alright season in Ligue 1.

turdpower
July 24th, 2015, 7:38 AM
All clubs dealing with Arsenal can now ask for a bit more cash... What an odd thing to come out and say.

Romford Pele
July 24th, 2015, 7:39 AM
Diaby having a medical at West Bromwich today for a pay as you play deal.

That will be a bloody long medical.

Romford Pele
July 24th, 2015, 7:39 AM
All clubs dealing with Arsenal can now ask for a bit more cash... What an odd thing to come out and say.

Yeah that was quite dumb. Though 200m in the bank doesn't mean 200m to spend

Mik
July 24th, 2015, 8:04 AM
From one side maybe, from the other it might make them a more attractive prospect to potential signings.

The Rosk
July 24th, 2015, 9:24 AM
Apparently Villa have had a £12m bid accepted for Jordan Ayew. Signed last year for £3m and had an alright season in Ligue 1.

Erm.

Chris Scott
July 24th, 2015, 9:31 AM

I forgot we had Ings, I was going to say keep Balotelli to go with Sturridge, Bentenke and Origi.

The Rosk
July 24th, 2015, 9:43 AM
I forgot we had Ings

Brilliant.

RuneEdge
July 24th, 2015, 10:02 AM
Villa favourites to sign Cambiasso, according to Sky.

Chris Scott
July 24th, 2015, 12:19 PM
Brilliant.

I genuinely did, the excitement of Bentenke I guess.

Chris Scott
July 24th, 2015, 12:33 PM
On a serious note Rosk, I've been reading your points about how football is supported Villa and all those players leaving and i see your point.

RFF Champ
July 25th, 2015, 5:15 AM
Villa favourites to sign Cambiasso, according to Sky.

I can't see it myself, why adopt a statistical based approach signing these 2 and maybe 3 who stood out the most worldwide and then go and sign a player who gave away the ball more than once in every four passes? Leicester did some research that showed that older defensive minded players proved more effective for newly promoted teams, hence Upson and Cambiasso, so maybe Villa consider that applicable but given the energetic nature of Sherwood's team last season, particularly games where they impressed like West Ham at home, Cambiasso would be a fish out of water and Pearson showed the dangers of abandoning that philosophy to fit a crap system with Cambiasso.

Ringo
July 25th, 2015, 5:42 AM
News this morning of a £5m bid from West Brom for Aston Villa's Ciaran Clark

The Rosk
July 25th, 2015, 5:44 AM
We don't need players to win games.

RFF Champ
July 25th, 2015, 5:55 AM
I was already thinking West Brom will be in the relegation mix-up and the addition of Ciaran Clark adds to that. Olsson and Mcauley have been a genuinely good partnership these past few years. Similar to Hangeland and Hughes and Huth and Shawcross. Breaking up Huth and Shawcross went well and had the air of 'progression' about it but breaking up Hangeland and Hughes was disastrous. I reckon this'll end up more Jol than Hughes.

Ringo
July 25th, 2015, 6:05 AM
Seems like West Brom's squad went downhill fast. A bunch of poor signings last summer and this time they along with Villa and Sunderland have had the least inspiring transfer windows. McClean, Diaby and Lambert. Berahino could still go.

Those three + Bournemouth & Norwich for the scrap. Feel like Watford could go either way.

Rip
July 25th, 2015, 6:48 AM
We don't need players to win games.

What are your reserves and kids like, do you have a few coming through no-one knows about?

Either that or I can see you lot being crazy busy on deadline day.

(On the plus side there is a rumour drifting around that you're after Cisse who will get you goals, if you can keep him fit)

Romford Pele
July 25th, 2015, 7:09 AM
Sz off on loan to Roma now, looks like ospina will stay then.

Peter Griffin
July 25th, 2015, 2:04 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CKx0ozlWEAAMsN_.png

:panic:

Canuck
July 25th, 2015, 2:43 PM
He has a brother?

Peter Griffin
July 25th, 2015, 2:51 PM
Ahhh you saw through my rouse.

Glen
July 25th, 2015, 10:08 PM
Any Hull fans on here? How confident are you of Dawson staying?

Gary J
July 26th, 2015, 2:20 AM
Not very confident at all. It was all over the local papers here a few weeks back that we would be selling Brady , Dawson and Davies. Looks like Brady is off to Norwich and wouldn't be surprised to see the other two go soon. Saying that Huddlestone was supposed to be off to Villa and that hasn't happened yet so who knows.

RuneEdge
July 26th, 2015, 1:48 PM
Tancredi Palmeri and BeIN Sports are claiming Pep Guardiola will be coaching Man City from the 2016-17 season.

Ringo
July 27th, 2015, 8:09 AM
United signed Sergio Romero.

Also 29 year old wonderkid Ibrahim Afellay is having a medical at Stoke.

MMH
July 27th, 2015, 8:25 AM
Tancredi Palmeri and BeIN Sports are claiming Pep Guardiola will be coaching Man City from the 2016-17 season.

He loves a good challenge does Pep....

Rip
July 27th, 2015, 8:30 AM
Not very confident at all. It was all over the local papers here a few weeks back that we would be selling Brady , Dawson and Davies. Looks like Brady is off to Norwich and wouldn't be surprised to see the other two go soon. Saying that Huddlestone was supposed to be off to Villa and that hasn't happened yet so who knows.

You just got Ryan Taylor on a free from us, excellent signing there.

McBain
July 28th, 2015, 8:40 AM
Anyone have much knowledge on the players Villa have bought so far from the French league?

Jordan Ayew from Lorient
Jordan Amavi from Nice

(Starting to think that Sherwood bought them off an alphabetical list...)

And it looks like we're "closing in" on Jordan Veretout.

Hold on - another Jordan?!

Simon
July 28th, 2015, 8:44 AM
We're going all out for Berahino apparently. Not sure about him - scored a few goals last year but not convinced he has all that much about him and he has a suspect temperament to boot. Seems like he will cost £20m or more, there has to be better value around than that.

Also Hull have managed to get £8m for James Chester. Mad. Not that he isn't a decent player but fucking hell.

Ringo
July 28th, 2015, 9:20 AM
:sadwave: Filipe Luis.

Lovely guy, good player. But Azpilicueta's form was so good he couldn't force his way into the side. Guardian saying the fee is £16m which would be bloody fantastic but I'd be surprised if it was that high.

Saw someone suggest a "Ayew Ready? Ayew ready for goals?!" song for Jordan Ayew. Superb.

MMH
July 28th, 2015, 11:39 AM
We're going all out for Berahino apparently. Not sure about him - scored a few goals last year but not convinced he has all that much about him and he has a suspect temperament to boot. Seems like he will cost £20m or more, there has to be better value around than that.

Also Hull have managed to get £8m for James Chester. Mad. Not that he isn't a decent player but fucking hell.

8M really isnt that much money these days. And yes that sounds ridiculous.

He is a decent player I agree.

Gary J
July 28th, 2015, 4:59 PM
Considering Tyrone Mings went for £8m and he's never played a premiership game or an international game for one of the top 10 international teams I feel West Brom have got him cheap.

Romford Pele
July 29th, 2015, 3:54 AM
So looks like Pedro in, ADM out - happy with that United fans?

We are being linked with Llorente (slower than Giroud) and Benzema at the moment. Would love to have Benzema but why would Madrid sell him at this stage? They havent bought anyone there so looks unlikely to me, and Llorente wouldnt be good enough IMO.

Simon
July 29th, 2015, 5:15 AM
Chiriches has signed for Napoli. Fucking YES I'm so happy we've got that brainless bomb scare out.

son_of_foley
July 29th, 2015, 5:24 AM
Chiriches has signed for Napoli. Fucking YES I'm so happy we've got that brainless bomb scare out.

Is this the start of austerity times now with the new stadium on the way?

Expecting you to not spend much but promote within with youth players. Wonder if someone will be sold for pritchard to get closer to first team? Townshend or chadli maybe

Simon
July 29th, 2015, 5:33 AM
Is this the start of austerity times now with the new stadium on the way?

Expecting you to not spend much but promote within with youth players. Wonder if someone will be sold for pritchard to get closer to first team? Townshend or chadli maybe

Might well be, there doesn't seem to be anything imminent with incoming deals at the moment and we clearly have abandoned our method of holding out for big money for players which never comes in favour of getting them off the wage bill quickly. Adebayor looks like he should go (you never know with him though) and I expect Carroll will too, but other than that I can't see any more outs - Soldado and Townsend are two possibles but I would suspect not. I would imagine Pritchard will be used as a backup for Eriksen in the central attacking mid role, which might get him more playing time than you'd think as Eriksen barely missed a game last season despite long runs of poor form as there was no one to take his place.

Goalkeepers
Hugo Lloris
Michel Vorm

Defenders
Danny Rose
Ben Davies
Jan Vertonghen
Toby Alderweireld
Kevin Wimmer
Eric Dier
Federico Fazio
Kyle Walker
Kieran Trippier

Midfielders
Nabil Bentaleb
Ryan Mason
Mousa Dembele
Dele Alli
Tom Carroll
Nacer Chadli
Christian Eriksen
Alex Pritchard
Erik Lamela
Andros Townsend

Strikers
Harry Kane
Roberto Soldado

Looking at that I would say we still need a first-choice centre mid and competition at left wing and up front. Wouldn't be surprised if we signed one player to cover both of those attacking roles (Jay Rodriguez maybe?) and if we do get a central midfielder it might be an experienced stop gap (Cambiasso? Maybe even Carrick at a stretch if he's on the fringes in the first month at United?) as the club reckon Dele Alli is potentially unbelievable, he's gone straight into the first team squad.

Ringo
July 29th, 2015, 5:55 AM
It's already been like that for a while hasn't it...

# Net Spend last 5 Years

1 Manchester United £327,800,000
2 Manchester City £235,400,000
4 Liverpool £175,630,000
3 Chelsea £175,059,000
5 Arsenal £99,025,000
6 West Ham £90,400,000
7 Newcastle £57,600,000
8 Sunderland £55,880,000
9 Crystal Palace £48,735,000
14 Norwich City £36,925,000
10 Leicester £34,250,000
11 Stoke City £34,150,000
15 West Bromwich Albion £21,241,000
12 Southampton 15,750,000
15 Swansea £13,715,000
16 Bournemouth £11,850,000
17 Aston Villa £10,650,000
18 Everton £9,984,000
19 Watford -£250,000
20 Tottenham -£56,150,000

son_of_foley
July 29th, 2015, 6:00 AM

# Net Spend last 5 Years

4 Liverpool £175,630,000
3 Chelsea £175,059,000
5 Arsenal £99,025,000
6 West Ham £90,400,000
7 Newcastle £57,600,000
8 Sunderland £55,880,000
10 Leicester £34,250,000
15 Swansea £13,715,000
18 Everton £9,984,000
19 Watford -£250,000
Buoyed by big money sales though there's been a number of then. Normally forced by the players this seems like a more thinning of the squad. So whilst the end result is similar I think the way they are doing it is a bit different

McBain
July 29th, 2015, 6:27 AM
West Ham :lol:

Simon
July 29th, 2015, 6:33 AM

# Net Spend last 5 Years

4 Liverpool £175,630,000
3 Chelsea £175,059,000
5 Arsenal £99,025,000
6 West Ham £90,400,000
7 Newcastle £57,600,000
8 Sunderland £55,880,000
10 Leicester £34,250,000
15 Swansea £13,715,000
18 Everton £9,984,000
19 Watford -£250,000

The net spend is a *bit* of a red herring in that while it is a fairer indication of a club's transfer business than simply showing how much they spend, it doesn't take into account that clubs with high turnover of players will be paying much more in signing on fees and agent fees - but yeah it does show that Levy has turned us into an incredibly well-run club from a business point of view, punching just about above average on the most accurate indicator of league position, wages (sixth biggest wage bill, consistently finishing fifth) and significantly above average on net spend.

It's obviously very frustrating though, seeing us constantly finish just outside the top four when the money is seemingly there to push for more. It's not as simple as just throwing money at the problem, but spending £30-50m less than the likes of rivals Liverpool and Arsenal each season over the past five years is not helping us.

Romford Pele
July 29th, 2015, 6:35 AM
Man looking at that Liverpool have underachieved.

Bad Collin
July 29th, 2015, 6:39 AM
We have but we have to overspend on players because we miss out on our big targets. For example, someone like Sanchez wasn't that expensive but we had to spend as much on someone not as good. This is problem caused by having lots of money but no chance of winning anything.

I would be interested to see the wage bills over the same period.

Simon
July 29th, 2015, 6:39 AM
Kind of gives the lie to Mik's annoyance at Sunderland not buying players in. Clearly they're spending the money, just on crap players who end up getting released or sold for pennies.

Romford Pele
July 29th, 2015, 6:45 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33691770

Interesting.

Liverpool have missed out on some big players, but I would say other players werent just worse, but some of them are shocking.

Ballotelli for £16m was always going to be a poor one, based on history. Lallana has not justfied his fee yet.

So far under Rodgers I would say only Coutinho, Sturiddge and Can would be considered good signings.

Romford Pele
July 29th, 2015, 6:46 AM
Kind of gives the lie to Mik's annoyance at Sunderland not buying players in. Clearly they're spending the money, just on crap players who end up getting released or sold for pennies.

So really it is down to bad management/judgement then?

Bad Collin
July 29th, 2015, 6:48 AM
Well there is always an element of risk when buying players who are not quite top level. The players we end up with are not being snapped up by the big four for a reason.

Having said that you are right RP, Rodgers has made some shockers. Some will come good though, Henderson was mocked at one point and he has become very important.

Simon
July 29th, 2015, 6:57 AM
So really it is down to bad management/judgement then?

Guess so, if they're spending that much more than their rivals. As I mentioned earlier wage spend is the most accurate indicator of success and according to the most recent records (http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/premier-league-wage-table-revealed-5560964) (for 2013-14) they had the ninth biggest wage bill in the league. So they're paying mid-table wages for relegation battle players. Predictably Newcastle, QPR and Villa all underperform significantly, while the likes of Southampton, Stoke, Swansea and Palace do better than expected.

Simon
July 29th, 2015, 10:43 AM
Southampton have signed Caulker from QPR, hopefully he gets his career back on track at a good side because he could be class.

Chris Scott
July 29th, 2015, 11:11 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33691770

Interesting.

Liverpool have missed out on some big players, but I would say other players werent just worse, but some of them are shocking.

Ballotelli for £16m was always going to be a poor one, based on history. Lallana has not justfied his fee yet.

So far under Rodgers I would say only Coutinho, Sturiddge and Can would be considered good signings.

Possibly Sakho.

Bad Collin
July 29th, 2015, 11:23 AM
Possibly. I still think Moreno will end up being good business.

RuneEdge
July 29th, 2015, 11:31 AM
So looks like Pedro in, ADM out - happy with that United fans?

Kinda hard to answer that with a straight forward answer.

Am I happy with Di Maria leaving and the way its all unfolded? No.
Am I happy with Pedro coming in to fill the position? Yes.
But would I be happy if Pedro was the only other addition to the team? No.

If Di Maria had stayed alongside the players we've currently have (plus De Gea for this coming season and one other CB signing), I'd have been more than happy with the squad. Losing Di Maria is a huge loss for us in terms of world class quality at the club.
The reality is that for all the good signings we made, we could potentially be losing RVP, Falcao, Nani, Di Maria, and De Gea. Has any top team ever experienced such a huge exodus of quality players in one window?
There was all this talk about us spending £150m this summer but if we get the £50m+ from PSG that was reported (that's £46m plus addons), our net spend this summer comes to about £15m.
So if we let Di Maria go, I'd want to see someone big coming in. Pedro is a quality addition to the team, and could potentially suit Van Gaal's style better. But we'd be lacking that big star player.
So Pedro plus someone else, and I'd be ok with it. But Pedro on his own isnt enough for me.

I've heard a few theories saying that we could be holding off from making any huge marquee signings until the Adidas deal kicks in, since all our spending money comes from their huge sponsorship deal. Apparently they'd prefer us to hold off until the new signing(s) could be presented in the new Adidas kit which goes on sale this Monday, with tonight's friendly against PSG being the last time we use the Nike kit.
Sounds like a load of horse shit but we'll wait and see.

Ringo
July 29th, 2015, 12:27 PM
Guess so, if they're spending that much more than their rivals. As I mentioned earlier wage spend is the most accurate indicator of success and according to the most recent records (http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/premier-league-wage-table-revealed-5560964) (for 2013-14) they had the ninth biggest wage bill in the league. So they're paying mid-table wages for relegation battle players. Predictably Newcastle, QPR and Villa all underperform significantly, while the likes of Southampton, Stoke, Swansea and Palace do better than expected.

"Chelsea punching above their weight" :cool:

The little horse gallops on.

Red Dog
July 29th, 2015, 1:19 PM
Kinda hard to answer that with a straight forward answer.

Am I happy with Di Maria leaving and the way its all unfolded? No.
Am I happy with Pedro coming in to fill the position? Yes.
But would I be happy if Pedro was the only other addition to the team? No.

If Di Maria had stayed alongside the players we've currently have (plus De Gea for this coming season and one other CB signing), I'd have been more than happy with the squad. Losing Di Maria is a huge loss for us in terms of world class quality at the club.
The reality is that for all the good signings we made, we could potentially be losing RVP, Falcao, Nani, Di Maria, and De Gea. Has any top team ever experienced such a huge exodus of quality players in one window?
There was all this talk about us spending £150m this summer but if we get the £50m+ from PSG that was reported (that's £46m plus addons), our net spend this summer comes to about £15m.
So if we let Di Maria go, I'd want to see someone big coming in. Pedro is a quality addition to the team, and could potentially suit Van Gaal's style better. But we'd be lacking that big star player.
So Pedro plus someone else, and I'd be ok with it. But Pedro on his own isnt enough for me.

I've heard a few theories saying that we could be holding off from making any huge marquee signings until the Adidas deal kicks in, since all our spending money comes from their huge sponsorship deal. Apparently they'd prefer us to hold off until the new signing(s) could be presented in the new Adidas kit which goes on sale this Monday, with tonight's friendly against PSG being the last time we use the Nike kit.
Sounds like a load of horse shit but we'll wait and see.

Good to see a few years of being mediocre have humbled Manchester United fans...

Torn
July 29th, 2015, 1:24 PM
Haha. Over half those players listed in the biggest exodus of talent of all time in history are now shit anyway!

Simon
July 29th, 2015, 1:43 PM
Delph out for the season apparently. When The Rosk hears this news he's going to have the music from when Jurassic Park is first unveiled playing in his head.

Ringo
July 29th, 2015, 2:36 PM
Where did you read that? I thought it was just a hamstring injury.

RuneEdge
July 29th, 2015, 2:55 PM
Haha. Over half those players listed in the biggest exodus of talent of all time in history are now shit anyway!

We're about to lose one of the best keepers in the world, our defence is pretty much the same, and we've lost two strikers without bringing anyone else in. Central midfield had been our problem area for years and after finally taking care of it, it seems like we disregarded everything else, or at least failed to improve.

But besides that, I'm simply talking about how I feel about Pedro replacing Di Maria. And the answer is, just Pedro isnt good enough.

son_of_foley
July 29th, 2015, 4:00 PM
Watching a stream of the derby game. Hughes is on another planet here. Passing unreal. First touch unreal.

son_of_foley
July 29th, 2015, 4:03 PM
I thought they were going to destroy us after watching the emirates. They're a good side. Probably better in first half but it was a sloppy goal we gave away

Peter Griffin
July 29th, 2015, 4:53 PM
Another crackerjack peno from Bent eh Sof. Enjoyed the tame though.

Peter Griffin
July 29th, 2015, 4:54 PM
Weimann looked excellent.

thegoat
July 30th, 2015, 7:55 AM
We're about to lose one of the best keepers in the world, our defence is pretty much the same, and we've lost two strikers without bringing anyone else in. Central midfield had been our problem area for years and after finally taking care of it, it seems like we disregarded everything else, or at least failed to improve.

I'm not certain but didn't Memphis Depay score close to the same amount of goals as Falcao and Van Persie last season, if not more? I know he's not an out and out striker but it does illustrate that those players aren't really going to be huge loses to United, you seem to be considering name value far too much here.

And fucking Nani? seriously?

Torn
July 30th, 2015, 8:42 AM
Yeah RuneEdge you literally said "Has any top team ever experienced such a huge exodus of quality players in one window?" which is an unbelievable question to ask when most of the players leaving are past it or shit. Not to mention the incoming talent you've seemed to ignore such as Depay and Darmian when you say everything is the same.

Ringo
July 30th, 2015, 10:29 AM
I don't think De Gea's even going this summer (and they'd surely buy a top replacement if he did) and Nani was out on loan anyway. So they've lost Falcao, RVP and Di Maria from last season with Depay & Pedro (and Hernandez again) coming in.

RuneEdge
July 30th, 2015, 3:51 PM
I don't think De Gea's even going this summer (and they'd surely buy a top replacement if he did) and Nani was out on loan anyway. So they've lost Falcao, RVP and Di Maria from last season with Depay & Pedro (and Hernandez again) coming in.
De Gea is in the last year of his contract and could leave for free next summer. We would've cashed in on him earlier but the apparent availability of Sergio Ramos allowed us to use De Gea as a bargaining chip. Marca now claim that Ramos has agreed to a new 5 year extension, leaving Perez free to go back after De Gea without worrying about losing Ramos.
We've just signed Sergio Romero as our #2 keeper, and there's rumours that Victor Valdes could now be staying, which leaves De Gea free to leave now.

I'm not certain but didn't Memphis Depay score close to the same amount of goals as Falcao and Van Persie last season, if not more? I know he's not an out and out striker but it does illustrate that those players aren't really going to be huge loses to United, you seem to be considering name value far too much here.

And fucking Nani? seriously?

Yeah RuneEdge you literally said "Has any top team ever experienced such a huge exodus of quality players in one window?" which is an unbelievable question to ask when most of the players leaving are past it or shit. Not to mention the incoming talent you've seemed to ignore such as Depay and Darmian when you say everything is the same.

I think Depay scored about 20 goals. Which included something like 7 freekicks and 3-4 penalties. If we're stuck with Rooney, Chicharito and Wilson as our strikers, I'm not too confident in Depay filling the void up front. He's primarily a winger. And Chicharito apparently wasn't good enough for us 12 months ago and now all of a sudden it seems like he staying, simply because we have no one else to turn to. Call it being negative or whatever, but we've lost two strikers and are now left with one of our own rejects from last season.
It might seem like I'm considering name value over actual quality but I still had faith in RVP, Falcao and Di Maria. RVP apparently fell out with the manager, which is why he was dropped near the end of the season. And Falcao flopping didnt seem to be due to a lack of effort.
LvG preferred using Feillaini's strengths over Falcao's. And RVP spent a huge chunk of last season injured. To be honest, I'd still prefer both of those strikers over Chicharito.
But besides that, I asked "Has any top team ever experienced such a huge exodus of quality players in one window?", for a few reasons.
First of all, if you saw a team that consisted of De Gea, Di Maria, Falcao, RVP, you'd think that's a top team. Secondly, as the question asks, when was the last time you saw that many top players leaving one club? Unless you were improving the team over them, it seems like a huge loss to the squad. Have we signed a better keeper? No. Have we got any new strikers? No. Have we signed someone better than Di Maria? No. Pedro would be a start towards fixing that, but him alone wouldnt be enough, which was my original comment that started this discussion in the first place.

I could very well be overreacting. I'm basing this on the fact that LvG was supposed to make a serious challenge for the title this season, and also the assumption that Pedro could be our last signing. Certain rumours and stories seem to indicate that this could be it. There might not be another CB or keeper, or even a striker coming in.
Considering the players we've lost and going to lose, and the teams that Chelsea, City, Arsenal and even Liverpool have. I cant see us doing better than 4th, especially with the extra games from the Champions League to now also consider.

Gary J
July 30th, 2015, 4:50 PM
Regarding the huge exodus of quality players I seem to remember Man Utd themselves faring pretty well after they lost Ince , Kanchelskis and Hughes in one window.

Gary J
July 30th, 2015, 5:06 PM
Considering the players we've lost and going to lose, and the teams that Chelsea, City, Arsenal and even Liverpool have. I cant see us doing better than 4th, especially with the extra games from the Champions League to now also consider.

Overrating these teams here Chelsea were very fortunate with injuries last season and who have they bought in this window. Begovic who'll be back up and Falcao who will also probably be back-up.

Man City have only bought in Sterling who is an upgrade. They still have the same defence from last season that wasn't that great. If Yaya is out they'll have a central midfield of Delph , Fernandinho , Fernando which is hardly terrifying. Up front now they have got rid of Negredo , Jovetic and Guidetti there options are Aguero (Who can't stay injury free) or Bony.

Arsenal have bought in Cech which has improved that position but other then that it is still the same squad that managed to win 5 out of 18 games against the top half last season.

Liverpool haven't improved their defence , nobody knows if Firmino is actually any good.

Ringo
July 30th, 2015, 5:11 PM
We did have less injuries last season than the other big sides but we did have striker problems towards the end of the season when out form started to dip. Not only was Costa barely ever fit for the second half of the season but Remy had injuries too. We were excellent up until January and I think if Costa was fit we could've maintained that.

...and perhaps if Mourinho had rotated just a tad.

Chris Scott
July 30th, 2015, 6:16 PM
Just reading Palace agree fee for Wickham, lots of strikers probably means Gayle or Campbell moving.

Gary J
July 30th, 2015, 6:58 PM
We did have less injuries last season than the other big sides but we did have striker problems towards the end of the season when out form started to dip. Not only was Costa barely ever fit for the second half of the season but Remy had injuries too. We were excellent up until January and I think if Costa was fit we could've maintained that.

...and perhaps if Mourinho had rotated just a tad.

There wasn't to much to rotate with though was there?

If anything happened to Terry or Cahill I think there was only Zouma and Ivanovic (who was barely getting a rest from playing at RB) If Matic or Fabregas were out you were relying on Mikel or Ramires. Up front it was just Costa , Remy and a barely capable Drogba. Can hardly blame Jose for not rotating much.

_me
July 30th, 2015, 8:42 PM
It is hard to say Chelsea messed up since they were in the lead all season but I expected them to rotate in Felipe Luis a little more. Then use Azpilicueta (RB/LB) and Ivanovic's (RB/CB) versatility to give everyone one game off once in a while.

Romford Pele
July 31st, 2015, 6:56 AM
Adebayor apparently having a medical at Villa. I cannot see this ending well.

Also, United may be in for Stones with a cash plus Johnny Evans offer. Would you prefer that MMH? Chelsea have had a 2nd bid turned down of £25m.

Simon
July 31st, 2015, 8:27 AM
I'm sure you'll all be shocked and stunned to hear that the Adebayor move has been held up by his demands. Apparently the deal is on the verge of collapse.

Simon
July 31st, 2015, 8:30 AM
Just reading Palace agree fee for Wickham, lots of strikers probably means Gayle or Campbell moving.

I think Gayle could be a great signing for someone, he has a bit of Defoe about him in the way he doesn't seem like a particularly good player but scores plenty of goals of all kinds. Capable of playing up front in a two, on his own or wide in a three as well. I'd be slightly underwhelmed if we went for him but I'd definitely have him as a squad player if other avenues didn't lead to anything. Surprised Palace are willing to bin him for Wickham who is the exact opposite, a seemingly good player who never scores.

Simon
July 31st, 2015, 8:32 AM
Just checked the stats - Gayle has 12 goals from 19 starts in the Prem, Wickham has 11 from 49.

Romford Pele
July 31st, 2015, 9:06 AM
I'm sure you'll all be shocked and stunned to hear that the Adebayor move has been held up by his demands. Apparently the deal is on the verge of collapse.

:lol:

The Rosk
July 31st, 2015, 9:59 AM
Villa have had such a big transfer window . The club has basically been smashed to bits and put together again, like fixing a broken nose.

Out: Christian Benteke, Darren Bent, Andi Weimann, Fabian Delph, Matt Lowton, Yacouba Sylla, Tom Cleverley, Ron Vlaar

In: Jose Angel Crespo, Rudy Gestede, Micah Richards, Idrissa Gueye, Jordan Amavi, Jordan Ayew, Jordan Veretout (appaz)

Mental.

Simon
July 31st, 2015, 10:10 AM
Didn't know about Gestede, good deal IMO he's been good at Championship level and seemed to give PL sides problems in the cup last year. A poor man's Benteke for sure but at least he's roughly similar, think that could work out well.

Rip
July 31st, 2015, 10:18 AM
Just checked the stats - Gayle has 12 goals from 19 starts in the Prem, Wickham has 11 from 49.

I can see him going to someone like West Brom and being one of the deals of the Summer.

BBF
July 31st, 2015, 10:20 AM
You've definitely signed Veretout btw Rosk. Just been confirmed.

RuneEdge
July 31st, 2015, 10:23 AM
Veretout has just been confirmed.

RFF Champ
July 31st, 2015, 10:33 AM

It's more like 8 goals in 19 starts, isn't it? The other 4 goals came from sub appearances.

Simon
July 31st, 2015, 10:47 AM
I just went by Soccerbase. Either way you look at it Gayle has a far better record, scoring more goals in less than half the starts plus the same number of sub appearances. With Palace already having a similar-ish player to Wickham in Murray (I know they aren't that similar but more alike than Gayle is to either of them) it seems an odd move to me.

Beefy
July 31st, 2015, 10:58 AM
Murray and Wickham aren't alike though. Murray is a goalscorer first and foremost. Wickham is a targetman.

Rip
July 31st, 2015, 11:03 AM
Murray and Wickham could be a good pair, if Wickham lives up to his potential, adds a new dimension as well since he's a more physical presence which should open space for Murray to poach more.

Romford Pele
July 31st, 2015, 11:46 AM
Villa have had such a big transfer window . The club has basically been smashed to bits and put together again, like fixing a broken nose.

Out: Christian Benteke, Darren Bent, Andi Weimann, Fabian Delph, Matt Lowton, Yacouba Sylla, Tom Cleverley, Ron Vlaar

In: Jose Angel Crespo, Rudy Gestede, Micah Richards, Idrissa Gueye, Jordan Amavi, Jordan Ayew, Jordan Veretout (appaz)

Mental.

Where do you think you can finish this year?

The Rosk
July 31st, 2015, 12:34 PM
Where do you think you can finish this year?

Top one this year lads

Peter Griffin
July 31st, 2015, 4:39 PM

Mental.

Obvs the Championship is different to the Premier league, but for a team lacking creativity I cant understand why villa let Weimann go, from what I have seen pre season he is going to tear the Championship a new one and hopefully send us up in the process.

Chris Scott
July 31st, 2015, 4:58 PM
I think Gayle could be a great signing for someone, he has a bit of Defoe about him in the way he doesn't seem like a particularly good player but scores plenty of goals of all kinds. Capable of playing up front in a two, on his own or wide in a three as well. I'd be slightly underwhelmed if we went for him but I'd definitely have him as a squad player if other avenues didn't lead to anything. Surprised Palace are willing to bin him for Wickham who is the exact opposite, a seemingly good player who never scores.

I think he'd be perfect for someone like Everton.

RuneEdge
August 1st, 2015, 11:06 AM
Villa going in for Berbatov apparently. Would like to see that happen. :yes:

El Capitano Gatisto
August 2nd, 2015, 11:25 AM
Yann M'Vila is apparently joining Sunderland, which suggests he's really made a mess of his career out in Russia.

turdpower
August 2nd, 2015, 2:26 PM
I'm fairly happy with Pedro in and Di Maria out for half the cost.

Disappointed that Di Maria didn't work, but injuries and his house being burgled seem to just ruin him for confidence and I don't see how that can be rectified.

The Rosk
August 2nd, 2015, 3:10 PM
Double lock the doors.

turdpower
August 2nd, 2015, 3:20 PM
Paris has better window locks. He'll be fine.

RuneEdge
August 2nd, 2015, 3:23 PM
We’ve been asked quite a bit over the last couple of weeks whether we had any inside information on the potential incomings and outgoings at Manchester United. When we do get to hear bits of inside information we share them on this site or in our Facebook group, or Twitter account.

Over the last couple of weeks it has been a bit quiet as most of our sources have been in the States, with United, but almost as soon as the party returned we received a very interesting message regarding Angel Di Maria.

As you are all aware by now Di Maria has gone AWOL (though United believe he’s in Argentina waiting for the deal with PSG to be completed) leaving United next to no negotiation room in dealings with Paris Saint Germain. Louis Van Gaal has had to fend off increasingly embarrassing questions about the situation regarding the Argentinian attacker and United are extremely riled by it all.

To paraphrase the message we received earlier on, the fans need to know what has been happening with Angel Di Maria and so here it is,

Di Maria has been angling for a move to Real Madrid and Barcelona. This started before the burglary at his home.
United found out about this from representatives of those clubs.
Di Maria’s behaviour has been disruptive at best and this is not the first time he has gone AWOL whilst at United.
After one game last season he left the ground without permission and did not attend an arranged engagement.
He has refused to play in certain games.
He has done his best to unsettle Marcus Rojo and also encourage him to seek a move away from United.

We were told exclusively that United have bent over backwards to try and accommodate Di Maria and his demands. The club were in no doubt as to his ability and were hoping that he would eventually settle but that his behaviour has been completely unacceptable.

Di Maria was signed to try and accelerate United’s climb back to the top of the table and so some of his behaviour was overlooked as the club did lack genuine world stars. Rojo was assigned to, essentially, babysit Di Maria but that proved problematic as Di Maria was constantly in his ear about them both moving away. Rojo is happy at the club we were told and that this recent Barcelona speculation was simply that and that there is nothing in it.

As a deal between United and PSG edges nearer, for a reported fee of £45 million, United will be increasingly relieved to wash their hands of a player that has been nothing but a headache for the past six months. Once the deal goes through some of the above will be leaked to the papers as United attempt to get their side of the story across and are expecting Di Maria to make some derisory comments about his stay.

After Di Maria’s transfer is completed it is widely expected that United will sign Barcelona forward Pedro. We have no inside information on that move but the people in the know on Twitter and in the press have all widely reported that an agreement is in place between the player, United and Barcelona.
There's no mention of who the sources are, which takes away from the credibility of the information there. But apparently Di Maria has always been a problem to deal with according to Madrid fans, and it's one of the reasons why Perez got rid of him in the first place.

_me
August 2nd, 2015, 3:33 PM
If true, it would explain why Madrid got rid of him. I wonder if he will be any happier at PSG?

RuneEdge
August 2nd, 2015, 3:40 PM
To somewhat corroborate what's been said there, I did read about the apparent interest from Barca for Marco Rojo over the last couple of days, which seemed to come out of the blue. And it's also been made public that Di Maria has been fined 2 weeks wages for his no show recently.

son_of_foley
August 2nd, 2015, 4:06 PM
Thank God this makes sense now.

I thought united had been vent over the kitchen table by psg and lost a player they wanted to keep. Now it turns out he's a shit bag and you're much better off without.

Amazing how good this business is eh lads? Eh?

El Capitano Gatisto
August 2nd, 2015, 4:20 PM
Ancelotti made some pointed remarks at the time di Maria left Real about his willingness to fight for his place and interest in money. That said, I don't know about believing rumours about him being an arsehole of those sorts of standards, he obviously just didn't settle and didn't want to be there. Ligue Un will be a stroll for him, he'll be well paid and he'll play in the Champions League every season. It's a pity it didn't work out because he's a fantastic footballer, but tactically Pedro makes more sense for Van Gaal's set-up. It was clear he didn't really know what to do with di Maria and you could see the confidence ebbing away from him as he was played out of position or asked to play with his back to goal as a striker.

There's not many more devastating attacking midfielders around right now but he actually looked like a disabled child at times last season.

turdpower
August 2nd, 2015, 4:37 PM
Thank God this makes sense now.

I thought united had been vent over the kitchen table by psg and lost a player they wanted to keep. Now it turns out he's a shit bag and you're much better off without.

Amazing how good this business is eh lads? Eh?

The spin I'd put on it would be; if last season you had told me could have Angel Di Maria on loan for 10m quid - pretty fucking good. For whatever reason he does want to leave and that's fine considering he's hardly performed to the level everyone thought.

I'm surprised PSG haven't signed more "big" players this summer. They signed David Luiz last summer for big money, but this year they've apparently had FFP restrictions lifted so could surely buy others too.

El Capitano Gatisto
August 2nd, 2015, 4:48 PM
Who else would they buy? They wanted Depay. Apparently they also bid for Ronaldo. Barcelona and Real Madrid have basically accumulated the majority of the elite players in world football and they don't seem to be up for selling.

turdpower
August 2nd, 2015, 5:01 PM
Well anyone really. Anyone for hyper inflated prices like last year with David Luiz. Probably in central midfielder, particularly with Cabaye leaving as he was involved quite a bit.

RuneEdge
August 2nd, 2015, 5:08 PM
The best players already play for the top teams. So there aren't any "realistic targets" available. But they're constantly linked with Eden Hazard though.

El Capitano Gatisto
August 2nd, 2015, 5:13 PM
Di Maria plays very well from central midfield, most of his best football at Real Madrid was played there.

RuneEdge
August 3rd, 2015, 10:53 AM
I don't consistantly follow Madrid games but judging from the lineups, it was widely assumed that Di Maria was played in a more central role because Ronaldo and Bale occupied the flanks.
But here's something interesting. On the left you have Di Maria's touches in his man of the match performance from the 2014 Champions League final, which some people regard as one of his best games for the club, and then on the right you have his game against Burnley where they played the full 90 mins.

http://e2.365dm.com/15/07/768x432/di-maria-positions-manchester-united_3330469.jpg

If you look at Madrid's lineup for that game, Di Maria was listed as a central midfielder, with Ronaldo and Bale on the wings.

RuneEdge
August 5th, 2015, 5:33 AM
Sunderland could have loans deals for M'Vila, Leroy Fer and Januzaj wrapped up soon. Only loans but it would be hard not to be optimistic if all of those were pulled off.

son_of_foley
August 5th, 2015, 8:19 AM
For United fans has the Januzaj hype died down a bit now?

It was ridiculously high at one point

RuneEdge
August 5th, 2015, 8:36 AM
He broke into the first team under Moyes and looked really good. LvG hardly played him, which is where the hype died down. He still looked just as good in preseason earlier, and he seems to have put on a bit more muscle which could help.
He just needs more game time, and isn't getting it at United. LvG claims that he'll leave at the end of his contract, regardless of whether he succeeds in winning the title or not, so I get the impression that he's going to favour the more experienced players as he tries to leave the club with some trophies under his name. The other issue is that Januzaj has come out and said he wants to play in the hole behind the striker rather than out wide, and that's probably the one position where we'll probably have the most trouble rotating.
The kid is only 20 years old, so a loan deal could really help here. But I reckon he could stay and be used as a striker if LvG doesnt sign anyone else.

El Capitano Gatisto
August 5th, 2015, 8:40 AM
I don't consistantly follow Madrid games but judging from the lineups, it was widely assumed that Di Maria was played in a more central role because Ronaldo and Bale occupied the flanks.
But here's something interesting. On the left you have Di Maria's touches in his man of the match performance from the 2014 Champions League final, which some people regard as one of his best games for the club, and then on the right you have his game against Burnley where they played the full 90 mins.

http://e2.365dm.com/15/07/768x432/di-maria-positions-manchester-united_3330469.jpg

If you look at Madrid's lineup for that game, Di Maria was listed as a central midfielder, with Ronaldo and Bale on the wings.

I watched plenty of his games at Real and Ancelotti used him as a central midfielder on the left side of a 3 with Modric doing some of the other leg-work. He definitely pulled out wide to get the ball to run from deep, but he took up a central midfield position and covered a lot of ground that Ronaldo etc. wouldn't. Modric and Di Maria got through a lot of running for that team.

Also, I see alot of people talking about Pedro as if he is Andy Sinton or something. He's a technically excellent player. He might not display individual brilliance or be as flashy as Di Maria, but he's still going to be technically a level above most of the Premier League. He wouldn't have been a mainstay for Spain and Barcelona's most successful sides without being a superb footballer.