PDA

View Full Version : The Transfer Rumours Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 63 64

Simon
July 4th, 2015, 4:32 PM
Spurs will just buy a load more shit to be sold at a minor loss in 2 years time so everyone can marvel at how good Levy is at churning over under-whelming players.

Yep. Trippier seems like exactly the sort of mediocre player we'd want shot of in our next attempt at building a squad to challenge for the top four.

Simon
July 4th, 2015, 4:34 PM
With that much talent, I tend to think he will be good too. But I am beginning to doubt it happening in England; it's too physical and everyone has to work on defense which he doesn't. His fullbacks were always causing problems. But when he's scoring 20 goals a season in Spain or Italy in a few years, I won't be surprised.

Were the stories about Stoke and Inter agreeing to 12M for Shaqiri true? But he turned them down? If so and thats all he costs, I would say just sign him. Seems like you could sell Lamela for more than that still.

Actually I think that's unfair, Lamela works hard and has probably been more notable for his unexpectedly diligent defending than his creativity.

_me
July 4th, 2015, 6:24 PM
Actually I think that's unfair, Lamela works hard and has probably been more notable for his unexpectedly diligent defending than his creativity.
i'll trust you since you are the Spurs fan. i just remember him making sliding challenges nowhere near the ball. he certainly is enthusiastic; he just didn't seem under control.

Mik
July 5th, 2015, 5:15 AM
He's a good right back who can play on the left as well and put in some brilliant performances in Europe. Sad to see him go and I hope and think he'll do well for you.

Thats positive. Thanks.

El Capitano Gatisto
July 5th, 2015, 9:04 AM
Shaqiri is one of those players who flatters to deceive in my opinion. He looks good on the ball but often just plays badly, all fart and no shite as the saying goes. The fact he couldn't make it at Bayern, has went to Inter and then within a season they've tried to flog him to Stoke fits in with that. He'll score an odd screamer every now and again but will spend most of the time relentlessly sending free kicks, crosses and corners straight at the first defender's face and running down blind alleys. Also he always looks overweight.

I think giving Lamela another season would be better given he has actually done the business for a big team in a top European league before so presumably has the ability to do so again.

Peter Griffin
July 5th, 2015, 11:03 AM
Thats positive. Thanks.

We are about to sign Bridcutt APPARENTLY, he's not so bad right?

Simon
July 5th, 2015, 11:28 AM
Good player at Championship level.

Simon
July 6th, 2015, 5:53 AM
We're trying to sign Alderweireld but there might be a legal issue, Southampton believe they have the right to sign him as part of the contract with Atletico. Alderweireld wants to join us, will be interesting to see what happens.

Simon
July 6th, 2015, 8:11 AM
Capoue to Watford for 7m. More good work, but as usual it's fire-fighting - it's no use getting a good price for Capoue if you're just going to buy another player like him who isn't good enough.

son_of_foley
July 6th, 2015, 12:51 PM
Is it good work? You guys signed a french international. Barely played him and sold him at a loss. I don't think he's a bad player at all I think the issue is buying without a real plan

Simon
July 6th, 2015, 5:37 PM
Buying him in the first place was in retrospect a bad move. Getting 7m for him when he cost that in the first place and hasn't played in 2 years is good work.

RuneEdge
July 6th, 2015, 5:41 PM
Barca have sealed the deal for Arda Turan. So who actually has the transfer ban here? Barca or Man Utd? :\

son_of_foley
July 6th, 2015, 5:52 PM
Buying him in the first place was in retrospect a bad move. Getting 7m for him when he cost that in the first place and hasn't played in 2 years is good work.

I thought he cost 9m?

There seemed to be a general view that levy is a master negotiator who was pulling down the pants of every other club out there but from outside it seems like he's stalled the process of the club from a footballing point of view? Pretty big loss on paulinho and capoue and God knows what soldado would fetch now.

Simon
July 7th, 2015, 4:31 AM
Levy runs an exceptionally good business. Less clear cut on the football side of things, but he's kept us consistently in the top 5 despite spending way less than our rivals.

Fanny
July 7th, 2015, 4:40 AM
is Saidy Janko any good? Celtic just signed him from Man U..

Peter Griffin
July 7th, 2015, 5:01 AM
Probably their revenge for Liam Miller

MikeHunt
July 7th, 2015, 5:04 AM
imo sunderland just got a bargain in matthews.

Fanny
July 7th, 2015, 5:18 AM
ADAM Matthews???

Matthew
July 7th, 2015, 5:40 AM
imo sunderland just got a bargain in matthews.
yea man we are on sale lately.

Peter Griffin
July 7th, 2015, 1:51 PM
Notts County have signed Adam Campbell, wasn't he meant to be a top prospect at Newcastle?

Ringo
July 7th, 2015, 1:59 PM
Yeah. Bit like MCEACHRAN who is now off to Brentford. Looking forward to him proving Simon wrong.

Peter Griffin
July 7th, 2015, 2:03 PM
Odd thing is I was randomly wondering what happened to Mceachran the other day then the Brentford thing came out. Still these things happen, A few years ago Giles Barnes and Miles Addison were our big prospects.

MikeHunt
July 7th, 2015, 3:18 PM
ADAM Matthews???

The very one.

Simon
July 7th, 2015, 3:26 PM
Always said I didn't think McEachran was that great. Tidy player but nothing more, and even saying that he didn't crack it at Swansea where you'd have thought his style would have fit in nicely.

Torn
July 7th, 2015, 3:39 PM
He's only 22, same age as Alex Pritchard. Still plenty of development left in him yet. Believe in Matthew Benham.

son_of_foley
July 8th, 2015, 4:43 AM
Liverpool seemingly dont want to pay 32m for Benteke.
Dzeko is available for 14m seemingly. City would be I guess ok with him going there if it helps get Sterling....

I don't understand why the don't try and get him in. I really don't. Even if he's available for 20m that's great go for 30m + Dzeko no?

son_of_foley
July 8th, 2015, 4:44 AM
He's only 22, same age as Alex Pritchard. Still plenty of development left in him yet. Believe in Matthew Benham.

You guys have spent some money this summer haven't you? Didn't the danish international defender cost a couple of million?

Are the rumours you guys are trying to adopt a moneyball esque statistical based recruitment policy?

Simon
July 8th, 2015, 5:05 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CJYW_S1UkAEFE9D.png:large

:yes:

The Rosk
July 8th, 2015, 6:28 AM
Liverpool seemingly dont want to pay 32m for Benteke.
Dzeko is available for 14m seemingly. City would be I guess ok with him going there if it helps get Sterling....

I don't understand why the don't try and get him in. I really don't. Even if he's available for 20m that's great go for 30m + Dzeko no?

Love that they're refusing 40m for Sterling but then are shocked we are refusing anything but 32m for Benteke. Hypocrite cunts.

Fanny
July 8th, 2015, 6:37 AM
32m for Benteke :rofl:

Bad Collin
July 8th, 2015, 6:42 AM
Love that they're refusing 40m for Sterling but then are shocked we are refusing anything but 32m for Benteke. Hypocrite cunts.

Why is that hypocritical? Everyone is trying to get the best deal. If we could buy Benteke for 27m and sell Raheem for 50m then that's what we should try to do. It may also be that the Benteke deal is dependent on agreeing a fee with City.

I think we should pay the release. For the sake of a few million i'd rather have the deal done.

RuneEdge
July 8th, 2015, 6:49 AM
The thing is, Liverpool are also eyeing up Lacazette. And I think I remember reading somewhere that Lyon are only asking for around 25m for him.

I reckon Liverpool will pay the 32m for Benteke if they cant get a deal elsewhere.

Bad Collin
July 8th, 2015, 7:00 AM
I remember reading that Lacazette ruled out going to a non CL club. I think we'll end up just paying the 32m. When teams are getting 150m a year in TV money that is peanuts for a 24 year old international with a 1 in 2 record in the Premier league.

Andy
July 8th, 2015, 7:11 AM
In the grand scheme of things I think 32m would be a bargain for Benteke. For what Liverpool need, when you consider the insane prices the new TV deal is going to bring, and how good he's looked in a shite Villa team...good buy.

Fanny
July 8th, 2015, 7:23 AM
he's mediocre, lumbering and a huffy big git. I reckon he'll fail miserably at Liverpool.

RuneEdge
July 8th, 2015, 7:45 AM
He averaged a goal pretty much every other game, at a team that was fighting relegation. Plus he's been doing it in the league for 3 years, and he's still only 24 years old. The majority of available strikers out there would be a gamble, but Benteke's a gamble worth taking IMO. Even over someone like Lacazette who might even work out to almost 10m cheaper.

EDIT
In other news, Asamoah Gyan has got a 227,000-a-week deal at some team in China.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CJYvZ68UMAA_Jbw.jpg

:lol: :yes:

Chris Scott
July 8th, 2015, 8:03 AM
I've said it before I'd personally love Benteke at us and think he'll be perfect for us.

Simon
July 8th, 2015, 8:28 AM
Benteke isn't really a big gamble in the grand scheme of things - 32m for a proven Premier League striker in the current era isn't bad. Look at the other transfer deals going around at the moment. He averages almost exactly 1 in 2 in the Premier League for a poor side. There's always a risk with any signing but it's a much less risky signing than similar deals for players from foreign leagues (Soldado, Negredo for example) or players from over here with far inferior goalscoring records (Carroll).

I keep pushing this point but we are in a new financial era now with the new TV deal, in a year's time we won't see these values as particularly high.

RuneEdge
July 8th, 2015, 8:29 AM
Benteke also has those special goals in him, like that one he scored against us last season. To me he seems like the perfect forward to have in your line up when you're up against a stronger team that's pinning you back all game, and you need just one goal to win the match. I picture him as that guy who gets you those important away goals in Europe.

Something interesting about Lacazette is that for all the goals he scored last season (and he's only had one good season so far), apparently he didnt score a single goal against any of the top 5 teams in Ligue 1.

Benteke isn't really a big gamble in the grand scheme of things - 32m for a proven Premier League striker in the current era isn't bad. Look at the other transfer deals going around at the moment. He averages almost exactly 1 in 2 in the Premier League for a poor side. There's always a risk with any signing but it's a much less risky signing than similar deals for players from foreign leagues (Soldado, Negredo for example) or players from over here with far inferior goalscoring records (Carroll).

I keep pushing this point but we are in a new financial era now with the new TV deal, in a year's time we won't see these values as particularly high.

That's basically my point. All deals are gambles technically, but as far as gambling goes, he's not really a huge risk. He has a lot going for him than any potential downsides.

Ringo
July 8th, 2015, 9:02 AM
Darmian looks a great signing for United at 14m. Best right back in Serie A last season by all accounts, likely to cement a place in the national team.

Cabaye to Palace for 10m as well!

Slare
July 8th, 2015, 9:28 AM
guys do any of you think the new tv deals are possibly affecting transfer fees and our percetion of them?

Bad Collin
July 8th, 2015, 10:48 AM
Sterling phoning in sick today is pretty funny.

Ringo
July 8th, 2015, 11:10 AM
guys do any of you think the new tv deals are possibly affecting transfer fees and our percetion of them?

http://www.theguardian.com/football/who-scored-blog/2015/jul/08/football-transfer-rumours-premier-league

I'm not sure any of those are really all that strange (considering Shaqiri's supposed to have rejected Stoke) but we all know the Premier League is more monied now anyway.

Chris Scott
July 8th, 2015, 11:54 AM
Sterling phoning in sick today is pretty funny.

Haha yeah it is.

Bad Collin
July 8th, 2015, 12:30 PM
I just picture him phoning Brendan up and affecting a croaky voice.

Ozanne
July 8th, 2015, 3:28 PM
Apparently his issues is with Rodgers, not the club or money :dunno:

son_of_foley
July 8th, 2015, 4:12 PM
Apparently his issues is with Rodgers, not the club or money :dunno:

Seems like Rodgers went out of his way to help the ballbag out with the break he gave him etc. Seems like a dickhead

Beefy
July 8th, 2015, 6:08 PM
What break?

son_of_foley
July 9th, 2015, 1:59 AM
What break?

Trip to Jamaica mid season

Beefy
July 9th, 2015, 2:37 AM
Oh yeah makes sense :yes:

The Rosk
July 9th, 2015, 3:24 AM
He's been at the club for two weeks and I already wish Micah Richards would shut the fuck up.

He's said that he's advised Delph on Man City, that Villa should buy Charie Austtin, and that Gabby needs to score more goals. Now I know we all know the last one is true but fucking hell shut the fuck up you cunt.

Ozanne
July 9th, 2015, 3:50 AM
Seems like Rodgers went out of his way to help the ballbag out with the break he gave him etc. Seems like a dickhead

Oh I agree, but I'm guessing that he doesn't like that Rodgers comes out in the press saying that he's the best youngest in the world, then the club won't back that up in wages. I'm also assuming that he would be thinking that the club has all the tools in place to progress and win trophies, but it's Rodgers that's holding the club back. The 2nd one being something that's very much open to debate.

MikeHunt
July 9th, 2015, 5:07 AM
He's been at the club for two weeks and I already wish Micah Richards would shut the fuck up.

He's said that he's advised Delph on Man City, that Villa should buy Charie Austtin, and that Gabby needs to score more goals. Now I know we all know the last one is true but fucking hell shut the fuck up you cunt.

He turned down inter to come to yous. Be thankful! Some people...

El Capitano Gatisto
July 9th, 2015, 6:30 AM
The rumours that Sterling is refusing to play for Rodgers is a cheap political move. He/his agent knows the club won't sack the manager to keep a player happy, it's not going to happen. So it's an easy one to suggest there's no way back for him. It also casts more doubt on the manager and reflects some of the fan anger at Sterling back at him. Firstly it was about the money, then it was not about the money but about trophies, now it's about the manager. Sterling's agent wants him out and every cynical ploy is being pulled to make sure his bridges are utterly burned. Virtually going on strike now too by refusing to train or play.

Peter Griffin
July 9th, 2015, 7:06 AM
I would make the cunt play out his contract and sue him if he refuses to play.

Ozanne
July 9th, 2015, 7:28 AM
The rumours that Sterling is refusing to play for Rodgers is a cheap political move. He/his agent knows the club won't sack the manager to keep a player happy, it's not going to happen. So it's an easy one to suggest there's no way back for him. It also casts more doubt on the manager and reflects some of the fan anger at Sterling back at him. Firstly it was about the money, then it was not about the money but about trophies, now it's about the manager. Sterling's agent wants him out and every cynical ploy is being pulled to make sure his bridges are utterly burned. Virtually going on strike now too by refusing to train or play.

I think there's more Liverpool fans unhappy/unsure about Rodgers which is why it's probably easy to leak a story like this to shift the attention. Refusing to go on the tour (for whatever reason he has said) is just stupid and will harm his reputation even further, is this what he's going to do in 3 years time at City if Madrid are sniffing around him?

PG I know you aren't serious but - Making him sit out his contract would be a very stubborn thing to do. The club are doing the right thing, hold out for the absolute most you can get, let him go and then reinvest that vast sum in various areas of the team.

Bad Collin
July 9th, 2015, 7:40 AM
Yeah, I think we have to cave at some point. His potential is limitless but it is just potential at the moment. Given his attitude it is easy to see him not fulfil it especially if he is a bench warmer for City.

Having him in the reserves for two years is what he deserves but getting cash for him is better for the club.

Beefy
July 9th, 2015, 7:57 AM
He won't be a bench-warmer at City.

Bad Collin
July 9th, 2015, 8:04 AM
I hope not for England's sake but he'll have much more competition than at Liverpool.

Peter Griffin
July 9th, 2015, 9:31 AM
Ibe is better anyhow.

Bad Collin
July 9th, 2015, 9:47 AM
He's nowhere near as good

Peter Griffin
July 9th, 2015, 9:55 AM
Yet.

Beefy
July 9th, 2015, 9:57 AM
Or ever.

Bad Collin
July 9th, 2015, 10:00 AM
I don't think he has as much potential either. Ibe is a very tidy footballer but he doesn't seem to have the instincts or creativity to be world class. Sterling does but he makes bad decisions and goes missing in big games. If he solves those problems he'll be world class.

Peter Griffin
July 9th, 2015, 10:10 AM
What do you know beefy, go back to watching Barry Corr and Michael timlin you shithouse.

_me
July 9th, 2015, 11:07 AM
He [Sterling] won't be a bench-warmer at City.
What is the general consensus about this? I don't think that he will start the season on the bench for the money they are going to pay but I think that Sterling will not be starting for City by the end of the season.

Beefy
July 9th, 2015, 11:15 AM
Jesus Navas played 47 times last season. James Milner played 45 times.

Sterling will probably compete with Navas, Silva and Nasri for three spots. He'll play most games because he offers something different to what they have got and something they desperately need which is pace.

_me
July 9th, 2015, 11:26 AM
Jesus Navas played 47 times last season. James Milner played 45 times.

Sterling will probably compete with Navas, Silva and Nasri for three spots. He'll play most games because he offers something different to what they have got and something they desperately need which is pace.
I agree that he will complete with them. I just think he will lose. I can't imagine his sense of entitlement going over well at City. That is a team of players who have won trophies. He is not a "team player" like Milner or Navas. When he starts ignoring Aguero, Yaya and Silva so he can try to do it alone 1 on 2, that will be problem. Especially with all the money (and pressure) he will be under this year.

Beefy
July 9th, 2015, 11:29 AM
He has no more sense of entitlement or habit of ignoring his teammates than any similarly talented 20 year does though. Compare him to Ronaldo at the same age, for example.

_me
July 9th, 2015, 11:48 AM
Comparing him to the (at worst) second greatest player this generation is a tall order.

Since he makes the best comparison (both succeeded young at Liverpool), how about we compare him to Michael Owen instead? Thrive in a sheltered environment (but Owen thrived much more than Sterling), move too soon to a big club, lose playing time b/c they are focused on winning immediately (not player development), and career is never the same. Or how about Scott Sinclair? Or Adam Johnson? Or Jack Rodwell? Or Negredo? Or Jovetic?

Nothing, not money or trophies, is more important than playing every game is a system that suits you if you want to most out of your talent.

Beefy
July 9th, 2015, 11:53 AM
He's a much closer comparison to Cristiano Ronaldo though, especially considering that you're accusing him of over-elaborating and not being a team player. The same things were said on here about Ronaldo at that age. Whether he cracks on and has anything like the career as Ronaldo or Messi have done is extremely debateable but the point stands which is that Ronaldo was as 'guilty' at that age as Sterling apparently is (much more so actually - Sterling has played wherever he has been asked for Liverpool and England and I've not seen any suggestion of him making any complaints).

I don't see the Owen comparison at all - Liverpool were bigger than today's Liverpool but Owen was far older and had numerous injuries already. He was also a success in Madrid at least if you look at the stats and it was injuries which killed him at Newcastle.

_me
July 9th, 2015, 12:08 PM
i think i forgot how long Owen spent at Liverpool. I was thinking he was only there for three or four seasons. He was there for seven. You are right, bad comparison.

But the main reason I think Sterling will not succeed is because City does a horrible job at developing. You get one chance to succeed. If you fail in that one chance, they find someone else.

Beefy
July 9th, 2015, 12:27 PM
City haven't bought anyone at Sterling's level though. Sinclair, Johnson, etc weren't the same class as Sterling; Jovetic & Negrado are completely different positions and one where Aguero is already in place as the main man (even then Negredo was quality and seemingly left for non-football reasons).

Sterling plugs straight into the side. Yes he has huge potential but also today at the level he currently performs at he gets into the side on merit anyway.

_me
July 9th, 2015, 12:38 PM
City haven't bought anyone at Sterling's level though. Sinclair, Johnson, etc weren't the same class as Sterling; Jovetic & Negrado are completely different positions and one where Aguero is already in place as the main man (even then Negredo was quality and seemingly left for non-football reasons).

Sterling plugs straight into the side. Yes he has huge potential but also today at the level he currently performs at he gets into the side on merit anyway.
One of us will be right and one will be wrong. You will probably be right. I guess we will see at the end of the season.

Simon
July 9th, 2015, 12:55 PM
Sterling would be an automatic starter in City's current side. Whether he ends up being good enough for where they want to be ie. challenging the best sides in Europe is a different question but he is potentially one of the world's best in his position. There are questions about his character now but in the short term he's good enough to play regularly and in the long term he has the potential to be a key player. From his POV a move to City is a great move if they want him.

El Capitano Gatisto
July 9th, 2015, 1:55 PM
Sterling will walk into the City team. He'll be a superb signing for them, the thought of Silva, Sterling and Aguero together is a scary one.

It's sort of sad reading about Van Persie going to Turkey now. He was lethal two years ago but his drop in form has been rapid. Same for Falcao. It's hard to think of many great strikers at the moment, a generation of them just seems to have rapidly faded into insignificance before their time should have been up really. Torres, Falcao, Van Persie, and Villa (to an extent) all sort of just petered out. Higuain and Benzema are good players but haven't really pushed on in the last couple of years, Higuain has probably regressed in fact. We'll see if a move can re-invigorate Cavani or if he stays at PSG and remains underwhelming. Balotelli is regressing. Suarez and Aguero are the two best strikers by a fairly long way, followed by Diego Costa, Wayne Rooney plus a few others and then there's a bit of a drop down (Neymar isn't really a striker in the traditional sense).

I suppose the obvious ones who may come on in the next few years include Dybala, Berardi, Icardi, Lacazette, Benteke, Lukaku, Morata and we'll see if Harry Kane is a one-season wonder.

Simon
July 9th, 2015, 2:08 PM
A fit Sturridge is one of the best in Europe IMO.

El Capitano Gatisto
July 9th, 2015, 2:13 PM
I disagree, he's done nothing to suggest he's anything other than a good Premier League striker. At that, he's not a reliable performer. He's streaky and his decision-making is very poor at times. He's 26 years old in September and I don't think there's any suggestion he's at the level of some of the strikers regularly playing in the Champions League.

Lewandowski is another striker who probably belongs in the sub-elite category but who hasn't really pushed on as expected since going to Bayern.

_me
July 9th, 2015, 2:43 PM
are you guys thinking that City is going to play with one striker or two? I thought Pellegrini played with two (Aguero + Bony/Dzeko/Jovatic) which is why I think Sterling will not play every game (vs Nasri and Navas for the spot opposite Silva). Or are they going to bench all those strikers except Aguero?

Gary J
July 9th, 2015, 4:21 PM
Comparing him to the (at worst) second greatest player this generation is a tall order.

Since he makes the best comparison (both succeeded young at Liverpool), how about we compare him to Michael Owen instead? Thrive in a sheltered environment (but Owen thrived much more than Sterling), move too soon to a big club, lose playing time b/c they are focused on winning immediately (not player development), and career is never the same. Or how about Scott Sinclair? Or Adam Johnson? Or Jack Rodwell? Or Negredo? Or Jovetic?

Nothing, not money or trophies, is more important than playing every game is a system that suits you if you want to most out of your talent.

What about Wayne Rooney he moved early on and has done pretty well for himself. Frank Lampard was still young when he went to Chelsea. Or Rio Ferdinand? Or Cesc Fabregas? Or Nicolas Anelka? Sterling himself left Q.P.R to go to Liverpool and has progressed to the point he is at now.

People will point out players who moved early and failed but neglect to mention the ones who didn't.

RuneEdge
July 10th, 2015, 9:40 AM
In other news, Asamoah Gyan has got a 227,000-a-week deal at some team in China.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CJYvZ68UMAA_Jbw.jpg

:lol: :yes:

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9908799/asamoah-gyan-becomes-one-of-worlds-highest-paid-footballers-after-joining-shanghai-sipg
confirmed by Sky now.

Madness.

RFF Champ
July 10th, 2015, 10:14 AM
7million for N'zonzi is a snip.

Simon
July 10th, 2015, 10:17 AM
7million for N'zonzi is a snip.

Yeah that move has flown under the radar and I'm surprised no Prem side were in for him, very underrated IMO. I think I'm right in saying he ran the furthest of any player in the league last year and while he isn't brilliant technically he's developed into an intelligent player (bar the odd breakdown when things are going against him). In the last two days Cabaye and N'Zonzi have gone for a total of 17m, both would have improved any side outside the top four.

El Capitano Gatisto
July 10th, 2015, 12:42 PM
Delph is going to Man City, BBC and Sky Sports reporting now that he's going for a medical. I rate him as a better player than Fernando or Fernandinho but we'll see how much time he gets. This one feels like more of a homegrown number booster to be honest. He better hope they aren't still going all out to get Pogba or someone more expensive too.

The Rosk
July 10th, 2015, 1:02 PM
In February he said that he was going to prove that there is loyalty in football and that he was in it for the long haul. Five months later and he's going to sit on the bench for some cunts. This is great. All footballers are morons.

Chris Scott
July 10th, 2015, 3:18 PM
I love Rosk rants about players and ex players.

RuneEdge
July 10th, 2015, 4:48 PM
United have signed Bastian Schweinsteiger according to BILD who're supposed to be quite reliable/credible in Germany and Europe. They're saying its a 3 year contract and the player will be earning €10m a year, with a transfer fee somewhere between €18m to €20m.

As always, take it with a pinch of salt. But the signs are good. Apparently the player just got back from his holiday today and had his meeting with the chairman about it. Bayern have their team presentation tomorrow, which Bastian will no longer be a part of.

The Rosk
July 11th, 2015, 5:31 AM
Football is broken. I am cancelling Sky. Fucking load of PR bollocks with a fuckload of moronic pussies vying for attention. The love has gone.

El Capitano Gatisto
July 11th, 2015, 8:03 AM
Schweinsteiger is an unreal signing if it happens and it seems as if it will at this point. He spent a lot of last season injured, however, so presumably Schneiderlin should still be coming in as well, as neither Carrick nor Schweinsteiger could be relied upon even to share a role in midfield with a European campaign to play in. If both of those players are signed then Manchester United have a very strong midfield suddenly and one that will see a lot of pressure taken off the defence.

Ringo
July 11th, 2015, 8:53 AM
Schweini, Depay, Darmian and probably Schneiderlin as well. Four good signings to add to the big players they've brought in over the last 18 months. The Ramos deal could go either way by the sound of it - you'd still think they'll be signing a centre back regardless. And probably a striker. And a keeper if De Gea goes. But they're looking stronger and stronger.

Reports that Mourinho is frustrated by our lack of transfer activity... but it's from the Sun and that's easy to make up. Some people assume we're doing our business quietly and a couple of players will join in addition to Falcao and Begovic but I'm not sure. It is a bit quiet, more notable when everyone else seems to be throwing money around all over the place.

RuneEdge
July 11th, 2015, 9:33 AM
Confirmation has come from United. Bastian's having his medical. :hyper:

El Capitano Gatisto
July 11th, 2015, 9:39 AM
I think with a stronger base of midfield that central defence actually becomes less of a problem for United, but a top class defender like Ramos definitely wouldn't hurt. Beyond the shrewd signings, Van Gaal and Woodward are also clearing out all the shit that Ferguson had piled up and allowed to linger, players like Nani, Anderson, Cleverley, Kagawa and most likely Rafael who just seemed to tread water after early promise, plus Van Persie ruthlessly shipped out. It sends a message to the squad that there will be no passengers. Luke Shaw, Januzaj and Di Maria must know they're on shakey ground if they don't improve.

I don't really see any pressing need for Chelsea at the moment, maybe another central midfielder to go between Matic and Fabregas, but Mourinho seems to be so against rotating that any player be brings in who can't break the first 11 seems to be marginalised almost immediately. Salah is going, Remy is probably going, Cuadrado is no where to be seen, Felipe Luis is probably going. To be honest, the likes of Schurrle, Lukaku, Salah and De Bruyne would have been perfect for Chelsea's squad if he could have integrated them better. Turan would have been a good signing for Chelsea but looks like it was never on the cards.

RuneEdge
July 11th, 2015, 10:07 AM
They could definitely do with another central midfielder. After Cesc and Matic, you've basically got the left overs from the previous Chelsea side before Mourinho came back. Ramires and Mikel have been linked with moves away, if I remember correctly.
And another right back wouldnt be a bad idea either. They have Terry, Cahill and Zouma as CBs, so I imagine Ivanovic would have to occasionally shift in, leaving the right back spot up for grabs. Azpilicueta can play there, but he's been solid at left back so I wouldn't change that.
All other positions like wingers and strikers are covered.

Ringo
July 11th, 2015, 10:17 AM
They're not covered if Remy and Cuadrado go. I really hope Remy doesn't leave... and if he does I do hope it isn't directly related to the Falcao signing. I think we are looking a bit thin if we want to go far in Europe this year while maintaining our league form. It's mainly extra bodies but I think another really good option at CM is important. Ramires or Mikel is quite a drop if Matic or Fabregas go down.

El Capitano Gatisto
July 11th, 2015, 10:33 AM
Who do you bring in for these positions? As I said, Mourinho doesn't rotate much so any player going there as a squad member risks basically disappearing for a while. Mourinho has turned over Schurrle, De Bruyne, Salah and now Cuadrado in the space of a year when it comes to the forward positions. This is going to be a real test for Mourinho as he has never had to manage a squad over a number of seasons. There hasn't been much evidence of planning ahead yet.

RuneEdge
July 11th, 2015, 10:46 AM
That's if Remy leaves. I cant see that happening without a replacement also coming in. I think a few sources a while back were saying that Falcao was sort of brought in to cover for Drogba's departure.
So the plan should still be to have 3 strikers in the squad.

Ringo
July 11th, 2015, 10:54 AM
I agree. That's what I think he'll need to do - rotate more. Having said that, I don't especially blame him for not using say, Mikel or Ramires more often. Or Cuadrado or Salah when they looked so ineffective. I was surprised Schurrle faded so quickly though. At the start of the season it looked like he'd be an important part of our season. Perhaps if we signed a CM option that didn't feel like such a downgrade he would use them more often.

El Capitano Gatisto
July 11th, 2015, 11:09 AM
Fabien Delph has now come out and said he's staying at Villa. How the hell have ALL media outlets got that one wrong?

The Rosk
July 11th, 2015, 11:17 AM
Fabien Delph has now come out and said he's staying at Villa. How the hell have ALL media outlets got that one wrong?

What the actual FUCK.

Please don't make me believe in heroes, Fabian. I was so close to giving up. Fuck you.

RuneEdge
July 11th, 2015, 11:26 AM
:lol:
SWERVE from Delph.

The Rosk
July 11th, 2015, 11:28 AM
I can't find anything on this yet. Apparently reporters were briefed that he was moving. Either he fucked up his medical or had a change of heart I imagine.

RuneEdge
July 11th, 2015, 11:42 AM
http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~4856901,00.html
Can't get more official than that. :yes:

The Rosk
July 11th, 2015, 12:26 PM
Yeah I get that but I don't know why it happened or how.

Romford Pele
July 11th, 2015, 1:03 PM
Hope you haven't cancelled sky already Rosk :lol:

Chris Scott
July 11th, 2015, 1:20 PM
:lol:

RuneEdge
July 11th, 2015, 1:27 PM
http://i.imgur.com/3ZZ6js1.jpg
I like this type of guy. :yes:

The Rosk
July 11th, 2015, 2:35 PM
Sky is cancelled. Fuck them. Awful company.

RuneEdge
July 11th, 2015, 3:05 PM
Get that Australian Premier League Pass subscription. 50 lets you stream every single EPL game live for a whole season. :yes:

The Rosk
July 11th, 2015, 3:24 PM
But I live in the United Kingdom.

_me
July 11th, 2015, 4:29 PM
Get that Australian Premier League Pass subscription. 50 lets you stream every single EPL game live for a whole season. :yes:

But I live in the United Kingdom.
If you can find a log-in for NBC Sports App on Apple TV/iPhone/iPad, they have every game available to stream for free. They are also available for the entire week after. It is crazy how much easier it is to watch in the US than for you in the UK.

RuneEdge
July 11th, 2015, 6:12 PM
http://watchpremierleaguepass.com/how-to-watch/
There's a guide here. Which requires you to get a VPN for 3 a month. My mate swears by it , and has been doing this for the last 3 seasons with no issues whatsoever. As a matter of fact, he used to pay nearly 100 for it, but a price drop and the exchange rates have worked really well in our favour this time around. They also now have a iPhone app to go with this too, to stream on the go.

son_of_foley
July 12th, 2015, 1:05 PM
Fee agreed for sterling.

They should gave got dzeko thrown in

Bad Collin
July 12th, 2015, 1:25 PM
Presumably Dzeko wants CL football for his last few seasons. 49m is a good price, I just hope we spend it wisely.

BBF
July 12th, 2015, 1:48 PM
http://watchpremierleaguepass.com/how-to-watch/
There's a guide here. Which requires you to get a VPN for 3 a month. My mate swears by it , and has been doing this for the last 3 seasons with no issues whatsoever. As a matter of fact, he used to pay nearly 100 for it, but a price drop and the exchange rates have worked really well in our favour this time around. They also now have a iPhone app to go with this too, to stream on the go.

We used this service and overplay at work and its genuinely superb. If you watch a 3000kbps or higher stream the quality is incredible.

The Rosk
July 12th, 2015, 1:54 PM
Alright. I'll get that. Thank you.

Ringo
July 12th, 2015, 3:08 PM
Presumably Dzeko wants CL football for his last few seasons. 49m is a good price, I just hope we spend it wisely.

Do you think any of it has essentially already been spent? Apparently QPR are getting 10m of it also. Will be interesting to see what you do with this money if not. The money's surely there to go and get Benteke. I wonder if there'll be anything else.

Strange reports about Pedro potentially going to Chelsea. Strange because he only recently signed a new 4 year contract and Barca officially announced his buy out clause was to remain at 150m. Today the Barcelona newspaper Sport says it was actually lowered to 30m, Chelsea will pay it and Fabregas/Mourinho have persuaded him.

turdpower
July 12th, 2015, 3:25 PM
If you can find a log-in for NBC Sports App on Apple TV/iPhone/iPad, they have every game available to stream for free. They are also available for the entire week after. It is crazy how much easier it is to watch in the US than for you in the UK.

It's not that crazy when you think about it.

Supply and demand etc.

Andy
July 12th, 2015, 5:36 PM
Annoyingly great looking signings from Man United, even more annoying that they're the sort of players we should be going for. Schweinsteiger of course, plus if the Ramos and Schneiderlin rumours are true.

Schneiderlin is the obvious one for me. 30m would be about right and would give us two players to compete for that place where we've had no one credible for years.

El Capitano Gatisto
July 12th, 2015, 5:39 PM
Pedro would be a brilliant signing for Chelsea. Willian, Hazard and Pedro would be a tough attacking midfield to match. I think Oscar will end up being a casualty of Mourinho's squad policy sooner rather than later if Pedro does come in, which would be a real shame. Liverpool should bang a big in for him as well if he's actually available, though it seems unlikely Barca would let a reliable squad player go when they can't sign anyone for 6 months and their youth side seems to have rapidly dried up.

The Rosk
July 12th, 2015, 5:45 PM
If Benteke goes to United and those transfers come off... Fuck. Me.

RuneEdge
July 12th, 2015, 5:52 PM
Alright. I'll get that. Thank you.

Was me telling you not good enough for ya? :mad:

son_of_foley
July 12th, 2015, 5:53 PM

I'm probably naive but I don't see cl being that huge a draw for dzeko when he has experience of it etc. I tink Liverpool can pay more and still be a huge draw

son_of_foley
July 12th, 2015, 6:02 PM
Schneiderlen having his medical they say

RuneEdge
July 12th, 2015, 6:04 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33502604
BBC are confirming it :hyper:

Ringo
July 12th, 2015, 6:17 PM
Another good one. What do you reckon the United starting XI will be with the current personnel?

Andy
July 12th, 2015, 6:18 PM
Ugh. United only went away for two years, now it looks like we're heading back to the United vs Chelsea days.

Ringo
July 12th, 2015, 6:22 PM
You don't expect City to be on that level as well?

RuneEdge
July 12th, 2015, 6:32 PM
We're going to have to see how the US tour goes. The team leaves tomorrow, with the first game at the weekend. I think we're looking to use a lone striker, two wingers and three midfielders. How that midfield sets up is the big question. We now have Carrick, Herrera, Schweinsteiger, Blind, Schneiderelin, Mata, Fellaini as central midfielders. There's so many good combinations we could use now.

The Rosk
July 12th, 2015, 6:39 PM
Was me telling you not good enough for ya? :mad:

I was responding to everyone you minge.

RuneEdge
July 12th, 2015, 6:57 PM
Whatever. Piss off back to Sky.

The Rosk
July 12th, 2015, 6:58 PM
Shagdgahdhatdadtad

RuneEdge
July 12th, 2015, 7:06 PM
I'm starting to think you thought I was genuinely mad. :\ :no:

The Rosk
July 12th, 2015, 7:16 PM
No I found your comment funny.

Andy
July 12th, 2015, 7:24 PM
You don't expect City to be on that level as well?

Probably, although their defence doesn't look great at the moment though. Front line looks like it could match anyone's but they need better than Fernando/Fernandinho.

Man United's team looks really strong now.

Valdes, Darmian, Smalling, Rojo (Ramos?), Shaw, Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger, Mata, Herrera, Depay, Rooney. Plus Di Maria, Fellaini, Carrick, Blind, Hernandez and others around. Strong.

MMH
July 12th, 2015, 7:38 PM
Probably, although their defence doesn't look great at the moment though. Front line looks like it could match anyone's but they need better than Fernando/Fernandinho.

Man United's team looks really strong now.

Valdes, Darmian, Smalling, Rojo (Ramos?), Shaw, Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger, Mata, Herrera, Depay, Rooney. Plus Di Maria, Fellaini, Carrick, Blind, Hernandez and others around. Strong.

Neither does uniteds.

City will be ok though, they have Sterling the world beater. :yes:

Oh it seems Stoke have signed Glen Johnson if anybody is arsed.

Mik
July 13th, 2015, 3:41 AM
Bit quite at Sunderland transfer wise at the moment lads.

Simon
July 13th, 2015, 5:05 AM
Yannick Ferreira Carrasco has joined Atletico Madrid from Monaco, from what I've seen of him he looks a real talent and will presumably continue Atletico's usual method of shipping their star players out by replacing Griezmann when he goes. Monaco have replaced him by spending the best part of 30m on two players I've literally never heard of, Ivan Cavaleiro and Adama Traore.

Romford Pele
July 13th, 2015, 5:41 AM
Annoyingly great looking signings from Man United, even more annoying that they're the sort of players we should be going for. Schweinsteiger of course, plus if the Ramos and Schneiderlin rumours are true.

Schneiderlin is the obvious one for me. 30m would be about right and would give us two players to compete for that place where we've had no one credible for years.

Agreed. Im of the opinion that Wenger has obviously thought of going with Coquelin with Arteta as back up in that posiiton, but that is just not good enough if you want to challenge for the title. Unless there is a big swerve and we sign Carvalho from Sporting Lisbon.

United are making some great signings, but they still need a top striker to replace RVP and Falcao if they are going to be right up there.

RuneEdge
July 13th, 2015, 5:54 AM
There's no real top striker out there that's available at the moment. I think it makes more sense for us now to buy someone for the sake of making up the numbers and then get a proper signing in the winter or next summer if someone becomes available.

Having said that, Benteke for me personally is the only one that I'd want right now. There are many people who won't agree with it but he's good enough to lead the front line right now, and then also make way for a marquee signing later. Signing someone like Benzema, Cavani, etc means having to juggle them and Rooney, without forcing one of them to look for first team football elsewhere later.
I'd like to imagine Benteke could stay at the club for years (with his age) and not be too worried if he was 2nd choice or whatever.

Simon
July 13th, 2015, 5:58 AM
Benteke is going to want to be playing regularly with the Euros coming up isn't he? I think he's currently ahead of Lukaku as first choice but presumably there isn't much in it.

Bad Collin
July 13th, 2015, 5:59 AM
I'm not that impressed with United's signings. Is Schneiderlin good enough for a team who want to challenge for the title? Schweinsteiger is a legend but is he still at his best? How quickly can he adapt to the Premier League?

Their midfield is already good, they need to sign a striker and a center back if they are to stand any chance of challenging Chelsea.

Bad Collin
July 13th, 2015, 6:05 AM
Benteke is going to want to be playing regularly with the Euros coming up isn't he? I think he's currently ahead of Lukaku as first choice but presumably there isn't much in it.

He'll got to United if it comes down to us and them. We should have paid his release clause weeks ago. If we start the season with Sturridge, Ballotelli, Origi, Borini, Ings and Lambert as our striker options then out CL chances go from slim to none.

El Capitano Gatisto
July 13th, 2015, 6:32 AM
I'm not that impressed with United's signings. Is Schneiderlin good enough for a team who want to challenge for the title? Schweinsteiger is a legend but is he still at his best? How quickly can he adapt to the Premier League?

Their midfield is already good, they need to sign a striker and a center back if they are to stand any chance of challenging Chelsea.

I think Matic has been probably the only defensive midfielder better than Schneiderlin in the past couple of seasons and it's not that far apart even at that. He's a tremendous signing. He's as good a passer as Carrick but more dynamic.

All Schweinsteiger has to do is be wheeled out for some big games, they have the luxury of using him when they need him.

RuneEdge
July 13th, 2015, 6:34 AM
If we signed Benteke now, he will be playing regularly. Not saying Rooney would be dropped but bare in mind Benteke scored more last season even though he had a poor start to the campaign. If he was to continue the form he was in during the last half of the season, I can't see him not playing regularly.
My point was that for this upcoming season at least, Benteke wouldn't have to worry about not getting first team football.

I think Matic has been probably the only defensive midfielder better than Schneiderlin in the past couple of seasons and it's not that far apart even at that. He's a tremendous signing. He's as good a passer as Carrick but more dynamic.

All Schweinsteiger has to do is be wheeled out for some big games, they have the luxury of using him when they need him.

The good thing is that between Schweinsteiger, Herrera, Mata, Fellaini and Schneiderlin, we have a few goals coming from midfield again.

Beefy
July 13th, 2015, 6:36 AM
I think with United they do need another striker but I'd be surprised if they sign a superstar. I think they've finally twigged that they have the best striker that they are going to get any time soon and they just need to start playing him up front for the whole season instead of moving him about all over the place.

Ringo
July 13th, 2015, 7:08 AM
Yannick Ferreira Carrasco has joined Atletico Madrid from Monaco, from what I've seen of him he looks a real talent and will presumably continue Atletico's usual method of shipping their star players out by replacing Griezmann when he goes. Monaco have replaced him by spending the best part of 30m on two players I've literally never heard of, Ivan Cavaleiro and Adama Traore.

Also just signed El Shaarawy from Milan on loan with an obligation to buy after 15 matches.

Begovic is officially done also.

Simon
July 13th, 2015, 7:16 AM
Is El Shaarawy actually that good? He was touted as the new Neymar a few years ago but disappeared off the radar completely, guess he's just a victim of Milan generally going to shit. Seems odd they'd let him go just as they're sorting themselves out if he is actually good though.

So disappointed in Begovic. Great signing for Chelsea for sure, but just as I questioned Vorm joining us, I just don't get why a Premier League regular at a good side with the potential to become number one at a Champions League side either here or on the continent would be happy to be reserve at Chelsea. You'd think Begovic would play regularly for Liverpool, Everton, Tottenham if we lose Lloris...seems like he's throwing away his career when he's in his prime. Always good to be reminded that Spurs got paid 1m for Begovic when we never owned him :D

Ringo
July 13th, 2015, 7:20 AM
He's a victim of injuries. Huge talent, had his breakout season two years ago but has been basically wrecked ever since.

Peter Griffin
July 13th, 2015, 7:59 AM

Spoken like a true rawk poster

Bad Collin
July 13th, 2015, 8:48 AM
No, RAWK would be:

SHIT SIGNINGS BUT THEY WILL WIN THE LEAGUE ANYWAY! IT'S A CONSPIRACY AGAINST US!

I just think they are both gambles when they really need a striker and more experience at the back.

El Capitano Gatisto
July 13th, 2015, 9:00 AM
I think with United they do need another striker but I'd be surprised if they sign a superstar. I think they've finally twigged that they have the best striker that they are going to get any time soon and they just need to start playing him up front for the whole season instead of moving him about all over the place.

Even Rooney at his best can't be relied upon for a whole season. He's one of the streakiest players ever, has patches of scoring goals and playing class followed up by 2 months of moribund shite where his touch goes to pot. That's probably why he has never been relied upon as a main striker for very long. I agree with you that any player they buy in will have to recognise Rooney is likely first choice so it sort of limits getting in an established star. Cavani seems the only big name striker likely to be available and he has had a fairly poor couple of years since leaving Napoli.

Slare
July 13th, 2015, 9:21 AM
Yeah they need to get in established names like Milner and Ings if they have real ambitions

Romford Pele
July 13th, 2015, 10:43 AM
We have been linked with that Lazerette fella at Lyon - how good is he?

Peter Griffin
July 13th, 2015, 11:09 AM
You mean Lacazette?

Romford Pele
July 13th, 2015, 11:27 AM
Haha yeah that is the one.

Also, on the Sterling situation. I stand by the fact that 49m is a laughable fee, and City have been completely bent over by Liverpool here.

Yes, City need english players, but to pay that kind of money for potential is just crazy. I cant help thinking that money could have been better spent elsewhere.

Beefy
July 13th, 2015, 11:31 AM
It isn't potential because he will play straight away.

Is there a team in the Premier League who would sell their best player for less than 30m? Why would they with the TV money the way that it is now. I don't think this will look like a particularly eye-opening transfer when we look back on it in a few years.

Romford Pele
July 13th, 2015, 11:39 AM
Of course it is potential. He hasnt scored 20+ goals a season or created that many assists has he? He has the raw ingredients (pace, trickery etc) but he hasnt realised it yet.

Look at some of the recent big transfers - Gareth Bale was best player in the league for 2 seasons. Suarez had an insane season 13/14 and almost won Liverpool the title. Sterling has done nothing like that.

Why do City have to buy from the Premier League? There is a lot of value elsewhere. Of course they can fufill their english quota elsewhere in the squad anyway.

Sterling could be as good as Ronaldo, but he could also drop off the planet like David Bentley.

Ringo
July 13th, 2015, 11:45 AM
Worth noting also that Liverpool are only getting 35m now (9m goes to QPR and 5m is add-ons apparently). If you look at it like that they probably won't be quite as over the moon with the money they've got as you might think.

Simon
July 13th, 2015, 11:49 AM
As has been pointed out a million times, City are not paying for potential alone. Yes, his potential is part of it - he could well become one of the best players in the world, he has everything needed to do so. But despite his young age he's ALREADY an exceptional player. He'll be going straight into their first team. There is still an argument to be had whether or not he's worth 50m, and that argument won't be settled for a good three years or so when we know just how good he is going to be...but this is not a Sinclair or Rodwell case - Sterling has been signed with the intention of being a regular starter.

Don't forget that despite City's size and status in the modern game, Jesus Navas started regularly for them in Sterling's position last season despite being completely shit. Even if Sterling never improves beyond his current level, he'll still be a vast, if overpriced, improvement on Navas. In fact, Sterling could be a realistic starter in any of the three attacking midfield spots off Aguero, depending on where Silva plays, and he'll also take a bit of the pressure off Silva, who was pretty much their only creator last season. Could City have got better value elsewhere? Maybe. But considering Sterling is already a very good player, has limitless potential, has already proved himself in this league and will have huge resale value if and when he moves on at any time in the next decade, the price doesn't seem quite so crazy. Compare him to a similarly-lauded youngster like Draxler - his price is somewhere between 35-40m, which is significantly cheaper but with significantly more risk because no one knows how he will cope in the Premier League. I've mentioned this before but the so-called 'British player premium' is actually more of a 'Premier League player premium' - if a player has shown they can do it in the league, that inflates their value if another Premier League club comes in for them.

Basically what it comes down to is this - based on his current ability, 50m for Sterling is overpriced. But just about ALL the other variables which affect a player's value are in his favour, so 49m is not so mental.

Ringo
July 13th, 2015, 11:52 AM
A Sterling/KDB/Silva trio behind Aguero would be fucking good.

Romford Pele
July 13th, 2015, 11:53 AM
Would you put him in the same bracket as Sanchez, Hazard, Di Maria and Ozil?

Simon
July 13th, 2015, 12:02 PM
Would you put him in the same bracket as Sanchez, Hazard, Di Maria and Ozil?

Well there's the rub - you've quoted four players with an average value of around 40m (Sanchez 30m, Hazard 30m, Di Maria 60m, Ozil 40m), two of which have been unarguable successes, two of whom have been unarguable flops. Of course the risk of Sterling flopping still exists, but having done it already in this league it's significantly lessened. Is that lower risk worth the 10m extra they're willing to pay, that's the question.

To answer your question, I think Sterling can and will be a better player than Sanchez, and based on his two years in the league so far there's little to suggest he won't prove to be a better player than Di Maria and Ozil in the Premier League. Hazard is a different question entirely, he's one of the world's elite players now, alongside Suarez, Neymar, Robben etc as one of the best in the world a rung below Messi and Ronaldo, but there were question marks over him before he joined Chelsea - would he be able to handle the change of pace, would the step up from France be too much for him. Now we know he was able to handle the change of league, but now you'd probably have to break the world record to sign him.

Beefy
July 13th, 2015, 12:09 PM
Of course it is potential. He hasnt scored 20+ goals a season or created that many assists has he? He has the raw ingredients (pace, trickery etc) but he hasnt realised it yet.

Look at some of the recent big transfers - Gareth Bale was best player in the league for 2 seasons. Suarez had an insane season 13/14 and almost won Liverpool the title. Sterling has done nothing like that.

Why do City have to buy from the Premier League? There is a lot of value elsewhere. Of course they can fufill their english quota elsewhere in the squad anyway.

Sterling could be as good as Ronaldo, but he could also drop off the planet like David Bentley.

Bale and Suarez both went for more than twice the money that Liverpool will receive for Sterling.

Beefy
July 13th, 2015, 12:11 PM
Well there's the rub - you've quoted four players with an average value of around 40m (Sanchez 30m, Hazard 30m, Di Maria 60m, Ozil 40m), two of which have been unarguable successes, two of whom have been unarguable flops. Of course the risk of Sterling flopping still exists, but having done it already in this league it's significantly lessened. Is that lower risk worth the 10m extra they're willing to pay, that's the question.

To answer your question, I think Sterling can and will be a better player than Sanchez, and based on his two years in the league so far there's little to suggest he won't prove to be a better player than Di Maria and Ozil in the Premier League. Hazard is a different question entirely, he's one of the world's elite players now, alongside Suarez, Neymar, Robben etc as one of the best in the world a rung below Messi and Ronaldo, but there were question marks over him before he joined Chelsea - would he be able to handle the change of pace, would the step up from France be too much for him. Now we know he was able to handle the change of league, but now you'd probably have to break the world record to sign him.

Ozil hasn't been a flop.

RFF Champ
July 13th, 2015, 12:13 PM
The criticism of Ozil seems quite similar to the criticism levelled at Luka Modric during that season where he didn't make a single direct assist.

Andy
July 13th, 2015, 12:27 PM
Ozil unarguably a flop :lol:

Simon
July 13th, 2015, 12:48 PM
Oil has flopped. He hasn't been completely terrible but you thought you were signing a superstar and he wouldn't be in my first choice Arsenal line up. He has massively failed to live up to expectations.

MMH
July 13th, 2015, 1:22 PM
Of course Ozil has been a flop.

Hes still a talented player of course but he has done fuck all of note for Arsenal.

MMH
July 13th, 2015, 1:24 PM
Yeah they need to get in established names like Milner and Ings if they have real ambitions

Thats very harsh on Milner.

That said he's no more or less finished than Schweinstieger....

Andy
July 13th, 2015, 1:55 PM
Between a slow start and an injury Ozil has more assists than anyone since he joined apart from Fabregas. He's been frustrating at times but there's no way can be described as a flop.

Chris Scott
July 13th, 2015, 2:17 PM

I'm impressed with the money they've spent on improving their squad with very good players.

_me
July 13th, 2015, 3:14 PM
Schweinsteiger's biggest influence with be between games. Even without playing a single game, he will probably make the team better. United has lost a lot of vetern leadership in the last few seasons. They needed a "pro's pro".

Schneiderlin is good to very good but not as good as Matic, if their goal is to win the league. But he will help keep them in the Top 4.

_me
July 13th, 2015, 3:18 PM
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33516069

Looks like Lloris has a broken wrist. Wonder what that will do to all the potential GK moves coming soon?

Ringo
July 13th, 2015, 3:38 PM
Falcao has taken the cursed number 9 shirt, following Torres, Boulahrouz, Di Santo, Sidwell and Kezman. All hope is lost.

turdpower
July 13th, 2015, 4:21 PM
Falcao has taken the cursed number 9 shirt, following Torres, Boulahrouz, Di Santo, Sidwell and Kezman. All hope is lost.

And Crespo.

Ringo
July 13th, 2015, 4:27 PM
Crespo was pretty good though. He just didn't like England.

turdpower
July 13th, 2015, 4:29 PM
On a United note, I'm fairly happy with the "Schignings" (LOL), although midfield was probably one of our stronger areas last season. It's good that we finally have an actual RB but I've never seen this Italian kid play, although Gary Neville reckons he's OK. He was similar money to Clyne so I hope we haven't made a mistake in missing out on him.

Odd one on Valdes not going on the tour and no mention of an injury especially with de Gea clearly leaving. A CB and a striker is also required.

MMH
July 13th, 2015, 5:05 PM

What a bizarre list of Chelsea number 9s that is. A midfielder, a reserve and a centre back.

Football is fucked.

Simon
July 13th, 2015, 5:08 PM
Lloris has broken his wrist, which might fuck De Gea's move to Madrid.

turdpower
July 13th, 2015, 5:11 PM
What a bizarre list of Chelsea number 9s that is. A midfielder, a reserve and a centre back.

Football is fucked.

One of the first facebook groups I joined back in the day was "footballers should wear appropriate squad numbers" just a shame that carried less clout than christmas number 1 groups.

Remember when Gallas was number 10 ffs.

turdpower
July 13th, 2015, 5:51 PM
Also I'm fairly gutted to see RVP go, supposedly due to a fall out with LVG. I'm more gutted when we now have just Wayne Rooney and James Wilson who are fit.

I was surprised more clubs weren't in for RVP, at that price surely other teams would have had a gamble on him?

Fuck it, just splurge 40m on Cavani.

RuneEdge
July 13th, 2015, 6:14 PM
After the poor season with Falcao and RVP, I don't think I can trust us to use someone like Cavani properly. If we can make Cavani work for us, I imagine we'd be able to get the best out of Rooney and Chicharito as well.

turdpower
July 13th, 2015, 6:24 PM
Oil has flopped.

Then why am I paying so much at the pumps!?

OI OI.

Beefy
July 13th, 2015, 6:56 PM
Of course Ozil has been a flop.

Hes still a talented player of course but he has done fuck all of note for Arsenal.

Except for all the assists and two FA Cups.

El Capitano Gatisto
July 13th, 2015, 7:07 PM
All the big papers seem to be saying Di Maria could be on his way to PSG, when all of them agree it seems there may be something to it. It seems a bit daft for United to let him go after one season and immediately, ability-wise, enormously weaken their team after making big strides, unless they have someone else like Reus, Griezmann or Bale realistically lined up. He deserves one more season and he seems to have given plenty of interviews stating openly he wants to stay, although perhaps his family just want away at this point or PSG are offering a crazy fee.

_me
July 13th, 2015, 7:15 PM
Cause a player would never say one thing to the press but something else behind the scenes?

El Capitano Gatisto
July 13th, 2015, 7:22 PM
They can say nothing, like David De Gea. What is the point of saying you are keen to improve and make a point of saying you "always start slowly" and are intent on becoming a club legend. It hasn't just been once, it's been a number of times quite specifically. I don't understand why the club would want rid after one season unless they have something else in mind, basically, and Ashley Young, as well as he played at times last year, is not the answer.

MMH
July 13th, 2015, 7:45 PM
Except for all the assists and two FA Cups.

Well he hardly won them on his own did he?

Ozil was very highly regarded when he came to Arsenal. Since he went there he has been fairly average, I think thats a fair assessment personally.

_me
July 13th, 2015, 8:34 PM
They can say nothing, like David De Gea. What is the point of saying you are keen to improve and make a point of saying you "always start slowly" and are intent on becoming a club legend. It hasn't just been once, it's been a number of times quite specifically. I don't understand why the club would want rid after one season unless they have something else in mind, basically, and Ashley Young, as well as he played at times last year, is not the answer.
That is fair. I didn't know the context of him saying he wants to stay. If he was asked a specific question, he answered the only way he could. If he volunteered it on his own, then thats stupid. Personally, I don't think LVG thinks very much of him and thats why he might leave.

_me
July 13th, 2015, 8:38 PM
Well he hardly won them on his own did he?

Ozil was very highly regarded when he came to Arsenal. Since he went there he has been fairly average, I think thats a fair assessment personally.
I think Ozil has been average to sub-standard for his expectations. He has been poor for the money spent. But ignoring money and on his current form alone, he is still one of the better players in the league and he would walk into 17 or 18 starting lineups in the EPL. It is all relative.

Torn
July 14th, 2015, 3:42 AM
Are the rumours you guys are trying to adopt a moneyball esque statistical based recruitment policy?

It's not rumoured at this point it's pretty out in the open. Easier than me explaining:

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015/05/15/soccer-analytics-brentford-midtjylland-matthew-benham
http://beesotted.co.uk/?p=16108

RuneEdge
July 14th, 2015, 12:37 PM
All the big papers seem to be saying Di Maria could be on his way to PSG, when all of them agree it seems there may be something to it. It seems a bit daft for United to let him go after one season and immediately, ability-wise, enormously weaken their team after making big strides, unless they have someone else like Reus, Griezmann or Bale realistically lined up. He deserves one more season and he seems to have given plenty of interviews stating openly he wants to stay, although perhaps his family just want away at this point or PSG are offering a crazy fee.

The PSG thing has been lingering for a while now. It died down recently when (like you said) Di Maria made those comments about wanting to stay, being motivated to improve next season, etc. Then out of the blue, its come back again in the last couple of days.
If I'm guessing, the fact that he wasnt on the US tour might be where someone has made up the stories from. Obviously, both him and Rojo are not there because of their involvement in Copa America, but there absence is the perfect opportunity to put something like this out there again. Stories have snowballed from a lot less in the past.
It's sort of how people are reporting stuff like "REAL MADRID MAKE RAMOS CAPTAIN", alluding to the idea that it's a huge hint that he might be staying. But then failing to acknowledge that Madrid give the captaincy to whoever is the longest serving player in the team, meaning Ramos receives the armband by default after Iker Casillas leaving.

There was also a story about us apparently trying to flog Valdes (which again started after he was not announced for the tour), but then Valdes himself tweeted the following today, sort of squashing those rumours:

http://i.imgur.com/Tz6o6O6.png

You don't know what to believe right now.

Romford Pele
July 15th, 2015, 10:37 AM
So looks like Di Maria is going to PSG then, for about 42m if reports are to be believed. Really suprised United would take almost a 20m hit on a player who has only had one season with them.

RuneEdge
July 15th, 2015, 11:08 AM
The 20m hit doesnt surprise me. The fact that they'd actually be willing to sell him is what's surprising.
IMO the 59m we paid was too much to begin with, even if the player produced the kind of performances that were expected from him. So there was no chance of us getting another 59m back on the resale. Then you take into account that he's now 27 years old, going onto 28 next season, on top of the fact that he's just come off the back of a seemingly poor season for us. 42m to 45m seems about right to me.
But like I said, its the fact that we're open to selling him, knowing it's going to come at a substantial loss, that surprises me. I (like most people, I'd imagine) would rather we try him out for another season and try to make the most of the 59m we spent, before giving up on him. Sure we could get even less for him in the future, but I'd rather us try to make this work than cash in. It's not like money is that much of an issue for us today. Actually attracting the player is the bigger issue right now, and there's not much we could spend that 42m on if we sold him.

I've read fans saying that selling Di Maria would be like undoing all the work/progress we've made with the recent signings. Bad idea. :no:

Simon
July 15th, 2015, 11:14 AM
Yeah very surprising. Even moreso given that despite clearly playing way below his ability last year, he actually set up quite a lot of goals. Maybe Van Gaal has seen enough to think that he isn't suited to this league, last year is unlikely to be a one-off and he wants to ship him before his value deteriorates further; certainly in retrospect we would have done well to bin Soldado last summer even though at the time giving him another year seemed the right thing to do.

RuneEdge
July 15th, 2015, 11:30 AM
But like I said, there's not much out there to spend the money on. We need a player of his ability more than we need the money we'd receive from the transfer. If he goes, I'd need to see someone like Reus, Ribery, Bale, etc come in, and none of those transfers are going to happen. There's Griezmann, but I haven't really watched anything from him to fairly judge, and neither do I know about his availability.

Simon
July 15th, 2015, 11:33 AM
Would Reus not to be gettable? I know he's said he wants to stay, but if the money was good Dortmund would push him out the door, that's their setup.

RuneEdge
July 15th, 2015, 11:49 AM
I'm only assuming, based on the thought that many other clubs would've shown their interest if he was available, and also the fact that we couldn't even convince Hummels or Gundogan to come over, let alone Reus.
And also, I'd want him signed before Di Maria was let go. I don't think we should be getting ourselves into another "transfer saga".

Simon
July 15th, 2015, 12:00 PM
Reus should in theory be just as gettable as Griezmann, as their both playing for clubs who operate by selling their stars. Reus does seem happy to stay at Dortmund though whereas Madrid isn't home for Griezmann and Atletico already seem to be planning for a future without him, signing Ferreira Carrasco the other day. If United did want Reus you'd think now would be the time to go for him though, with Madrid and Bayern both likely to go in for him with Ronaldo, Ribery and Robben all ageing.

Romford Pele
July 15th, 2015, 12:11 PM
I'd love to have Reus at Arsenal. Dortmund players seem to be very loyal there though. I am suprised that Hummels is still there, he could play at any top side.

What about Oscar? If Chelsea sign Pedro he could well be up for grabs, would you take him at United?

RuneEdge
July 15th, 2015, 12:21 PM
Oscar's not the same type of player, is he?
Di Maria is (supposed to be) up there alongside Hazard, Sanchez, Aguero, etc as one of the top players in the league when he's on form. We'd need another player of that calibre if Di Maria left. The current team along with the new arrivals sort of feel like its been set up with Di Maria in mind.
Everything looked clear and encouraging up until now. Di Maria's departure would throw everything out of the window for me.

Romford Pele
July 15th, 2015, 12:32 PM
I thought Oscar could play no 10 or out wide?

Looking at your list, there arent many at that level actually....Gareth Bale would be good.

RuneEdge
July 15th, 2015, 12:43 PM
There are a few players at that level. Robben, Ribery, David Silva, Hazard, Sanchez, Bale, Neymar, Reus, Muller, etc. None of those transfers are realistic.
If we sell Di Maria now, it's likely that we start with Ashley Young next season.

Andy
July 15th, 2015, 12:54 PM
Surely your front three is Rooney/Depay/Mata?

RuneEdge
July 15th, 2015, 1:18 PM
I think most people were expecting Depay/Rooney/Di Maria, with Mata in midfield.

RuneEdge
July 15th, 2015, 1:53 PM
The Sun have just said that we've activated Benteke's release clause. And Birmingham Mail are also saying that the deal will be complete before the end of the week.

The Rosk
July 15th, 2015, 2:04 PM
Good. Actually happy for him in a weird way. Just don't get why he'd go to Liverpool.

Bad Collin
July 15th, 2015, 2:11 PM
Because maybe he'd rather not be a backup.

Simon
July 15th, 2015, 2:11 PM
Would like to see us try to get Hernandez. I know his game is limited but his scoring record is superb. Even in the last three years where he's barely played his goals to minutes is excellent, basically a goal a game iirc.

RuneEdge
July 15th, 2015, 2:13 PM
Liverpool deserve to lose out just for how they're faffing about with the bid, even though there's a clear release clause in play. Especially since they've made plenty of signings already have have 49m from Sterling.
If we do get Benteke, it'll be interesting to see how he plays alongside the quality of players we have. There were rumours of Hernandez being sold today, and apparently we'd be receiving up to 9m for him. So I guess a bid for Benteke makes more sense now.

El Capitano Gatisto
July 15th, 2015, 2:43 PM
Would Reus not to be gettable? I know he's said he wants to stay, but if the money was good Dortmund would push him out the door, that's their setup.

There was some talk, maybe around the time Reus signed a new contract, that he signed on with the knowledge that Real Madrid had paid for a first refusal option on him. Could be nonsense.

RuneEdge
July 15th, 2015, 3:05 PM
I read something similar with Gundogan and Barca recently. How Gundogan's contract extension was basically put in place so that they can sort of reserve him for after their transfer ban is lifted.

Like you said, could be nonsense.

El Capitano Gatisto
July 15th, 2015, 4:13 PM
I rate Benteke and I think if the going rate for Lukaku is 32 million, then the same fee is more than fair for him. But I can see why clubs would be hesitant to pay it, he has had a very bad injury (a potentially career-threatening/altering one) and he by no means has the sort of technique or intelligence of movement you normally associate with a really top level footballer (something also I find with Lukaku, who is really the other potentially great young striker a bit lower down the league). He has shown some great physical, aerial and finishing ability in the Premier League when on form, but I suppose the worry is what he's like in a Champion's League game where his touch may be more in question.

I think he'd be a great signing for any side in the Premier League but it makes sense for teams to see if they can wrangle a few quid off before pulling the trigger.

Chris Scott
July 15th, 2015, 5:32 PM
I'll be dissapointed if we don't sign him and United did

Grimario
July 15th, 2015, 8:33 PM
JP - your lot have a former A-League player over on trial, Rostyn Griffiths. He was part of the Blackburn youth set up for 5 or so years then came back to Australia for a stint. He's a bit of a beast of a midfielder, like a not as good version of Jedinak.

Peter Griffin
July 16th, 2015, 2:10 AM
But better than Zadkovich.

Grimario
July 16th, 2015, 2:38 AM
But better than Zadkovich.

RubeZ is a star.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLPLHhQ8f-U

Mik
July 16th, 2015, 4:44 AM
We've signed a player, in a position where we need a player.

Simon
July 16th, 2015, 4:53 AM
Lens was being linked with a few clubs further up the league, so that looks a decent move. Southampton have signed Jordy Clasie to replace Schneiderlin. Also that touted move for Townsend to Villa has made it to the Spurs ITK, Rosk.

RuneEdge
July 16th, 2015, 5:09 AM
Interesting development with the Victor Valdes situation. LvG held a press conference yesterday, unveiling the three new signings. When asked about Valdes, he confirmed that he wasnt on tour because we're looking to get rid of him, with the reason being that he refused to play for our reserve team.

Valdes tweets the following this morning.
http://i.imgur.com/kwu4fnR.png

Simon
July 16th, 2015, 5:22 AM
So is he saying he didn't refuse to play?

Simon
July 16th, 2015, 6:05 AM
Vidal to Bayern is close according to the Guardian. Arsenal fans must be raging seeing Schneiderlin and Vidal go in the space of a week. Then again why am I taking the piss seeing as we need players in the same position, presumably whoever we're looking at it will prefer Arsenal.

Simon
July 16th, 2015, 6:28 AM
Rumour going around that Kaboul is having a medical at Sunderland. Seems like he's burned his bridges well and truly at Spurs but I don't think that's a terrible signing - he's lost a bit of pace and has never been very reliable injury-wise, but on his day he's still good and should organise your defence Mik. He was sensational at the Emirates last season. Can't remember how Advocaat has you playing, is it a deep defensive line? If so he should fit in nicely...if it's a high line, not so much.

BBF
July 16th, 2015, 8:15 AM
Appaz Liverpool got quoted 35m for Lacazette and scoffed so they have triggered Benteke's release clause today.

Bad Collin
July 16th, 2015, 8:32 AM
I'd read the second part of that. Do you think Villa made up United interest to force Liverpool's hand?

Romford Pele
July 16th, 2015, 10:59 AM
Vidal to Bayern is close according to the Guardian. Arsenal fans must be raging seeing Schneiderlin and Vidal go in the space of a week. Then again why am I taking the piss seeing as we need players in the same position, presumably whoever we're looking at it will prefer Arsenal.

Schneiderlin for sure. Vidal is a great player but has had injuries and not really a holding player (more box to box like Ramsey).

This is why I'm not sure Wenger can lead us to the title again. He is a bit sentimental (now anyway) compared to Mourinho or Van Gaal. He obviously still thinks that Arteta/Flamini can do a job if Coquelin is out but it is quite clear neither is up to it anymore. That and a lack of a top class forward is what will cost us.

Romford Pele
July 16th, 2015, 11:03 AM
I'd read the second part of that. Do you think Villa made up United interest to force Liverpool's hand?

Could be.

Good signing for Liverpool if it happens. If they can get Sturridge fit and get Coutinho playing well they could well be threat going forward again.

Though, is he the best fit for Liverpools style? Rodgers likes to play short passing game with emphasis of playing down the middle, but I would have thought that for someone like Benteke to thrive they need to get early crosses into the box to utilise him properly.

Bad Collin
July 16th, 2015, 11:19 AM
We will need to be a bit more direct. I hope we are, I got so sick of watching us pass the ball in front of six defenders last season. He is no Andy Carroll, he'd fare better under Rodgers.

Simon
July 16th, 2015, 11:46 AM
Supposedly we're going in for James McCarthy, as are City. I know you've rated him highly in the past but how good was he last year MMH?

MikeHunt
July 16th, 2015, 12:11 PM
he's a turncoat cunt.

Mik
July 16th, 2015, 12:16 PM
Rumour going around that Kaboul is having a medical at Sunderland. Seems like he's burned his bridges well and truly at Spurs but I don't think that's a terrible signing - he's lost a bit of pace and has never been very reliable injury-wise, but on his day he's still good and should organise your defence Mik. He was sensational at the Emirates last season. Can't remember how Advocaat has you playing, is it a deep defensive line? If so he should fit in nicely...if it's a high line, not so much.

What did he do to burn his bridges? I remember him being rumoured to come to us before he went to Spurs and his agent saying that he'd rather eat his shit...or something to that regard. I'll take him anyway, he's an improvement on what we have and unusually for a Spurs player doesnt seem to be costing an arm and a leg.

This is why I'm not sure Wenger can lead us to the title again. He is a bit sentimental (now anyway) compared to Mourinho or Van Gaal. He obviously still thinks that Arteta/Flamini can do a job if Coquelin is out but it is quite clear neither is up to it anymore. That and a lack of a top class forward is what will cost us.

You dont need a top class striker. You need better defensive players. You dont struggle to score goals, you concede them too easily against big teams. You scored the third most goals in the league last season despite three of your attackers being injured for the majority of the season.

Simon
July 16th, 2015, 12:23 PM
What did he do to burn his bridges? I remember him being rumoured to come to us before he went to Spurs and his agent saying that he'd rather eat his shit...or something to that regard. I'll take him anyway, he's an improvement on what we have and unusually for a Spurs player doesnt seem to be costing an arm and a leg.

Not entirely sure what he did - it's never fully come out, but seemingly Kaboul, Adebayor and Lennon had a bit of a set-to with the younger players (Kane and Bentaleb were mentioned) last season, IIRC the younger players criticised the older lot for not working hard enough in training and the older lot saying they should have more respect etc. Take all of that with a pinch of salt as it's never come from a reliable source, but it does make some sense with Lennon shipped out ASAP during the last window and all three training away from the main squad now, while players we've been trying to sell like Capoue and Stambouli have been training as normal. Lennon was apparently the worst of the lot so you can assume he'll be gone soon, Adebayor is a different issue because everyone knows he's happy to sit out and collect his money. You've lost Vergini, Coates and Brown haven't you? So O'Shea and Kaboul would be the centre back pairing I guess...not much pace there but if you defend deep they should at least be able to keep things tight.

Mik
July 16th, 2015, 12:27 PM
We've loaned out Vergini, bought Coates and re-contracted Brown. I'd hope Kaboul and Coates would be the two centre backs, but O'Shea will probably sneak in instead.

Bad Collin
July 16th, 2015, 12:38 PM
Has Coates actually been good for you Mik? His Liverpool career never recovered from being bossed by Matt Smith in that FA Cup game.

Mik
July 16th, 2015, 12:44 PM
He was decent the last few games (ie since Big Dick came in).

Romford Pele
July 16th, 2015, 2:32 PM

You dont need a top class striker. You need better defensive players. You dont struggle to score goals, you concede them too easily against big teams. You scored the third most goals in the league last season despite three of your attackers being injured for the majority of the season.

We also don't score many against the big teams

Last season in the league

Chelsea 0
Spurs 2
Man U 2 (one was an own goal)
Liverpool 6
Man city 4

14 in 10 games. We need a top drawer striker to make a difference in those games. Our defence was much improved last season from the one before when we got dicked on by the big sides.

RuneEdge
July 16th, 2015, 3:05 PM
Few newspapers and sources reporting Johnny Evans to Everton for 7m - 8m. If true, it must mean we're getting another CB in for sure. Otamendi seems like the one people are expecting, but the Ramos rumours refuse to go away.
Reports from Spain today say that we've made a new €60m bid for Ramos. Plus the player apparently hasnt changed his stance on his desire to leave, and also his girlfriend (who's now expecting their 2nd child together) said in an interview or something that she's happy to move to Manchester and the couple have been taking English lessons for a few months now. So signs are looking good. :yes:

MMH
July 16th, 2015, 3:28 PM

He is the most Sunderland signing ever.

MMH
July 16th, 2015, 3:30 PM
Few newspapers and sources reporting Johnny Evans to Everton for 7m - 8m. If true, it must mean we're getting another CB in for sure. Otamendi seems like the one people are expecting, but the Ramos rumours refuse to go away.
Reports from Spain today say that we've made a new €60m bid for Ramos. Plus the player apparently hasnt changed his stance on his desire to leave, and also his girlfriend (who's now expecting their 2nd child together) said in an interview or something that she's happy to move to Manchester and the couple have been taking English lessons for a few months now. So signs are looking good. :yes:

Unless we are playing three at the back it would be an odd move for him as he wont be displacing Stones or Jagielka.

We do need cover at Centre back but he doesnt sound like a cover signing. Hes a left sided centre back though isnt he? We dont have one of them quite ready for the first team (Galloway will be there eventually) so yeah, possible I suppose.

MMH
July 16th, 2015, 3:35 PM
Supposedly we're going in for James McCarthy, as are City. I know you've rated him highly in the past but how good was he last year MMH?

He was great when he played but was injured a fair bit. Gareth Barry seemingly aging 20 years in 3 months didn't help either.

He's a player who you either love or don't get. Hes not very flash, rarely scores or puts an assist in but he gets everywhere and does more attacking wise than people realise just by keeping things ticking over and giving an option. I think he's a fantastic player.

There is talk of a contract issue and a broken promise on renegotiating his deal but allegedly he wants to stay if he can. We would be looking for a lot of money for him, at least the same as what we got for Fellaini and I'm not sure anyone will cough that sum up.

MMH
July 16th, 2015, 3:37 PM
Could be.

Good signing for Liverpool if it happens. If they can get Sturridge fit and get Coutinho playing well they could well be threat going forward again.

Though, is he the best fit for Liverpools style? Rodgers likes to play short passing game with emphasis of playing down the middle, but I would have thought that for someone like Benteke to thrive they need to get early crosses into the box to utilise him properly.

I dunno about that. They got the best out of Suarez by getting the ball forward early for him to run on to. Last season they just didnt have a focal point at all. Benteke could probably offer a bit of that.

RuneEdge
July 16th, 2015, 4:29 PM
Kaboul to Sunderland is done.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CKD_f38UsAAqIMG.png

Simon
July 16th, 2015, 4:31 PM
:yes: we've done some bloody good work getting rid of the dead wood so far this summer - would still ideally get rid of Soldado, Adebayor (fat chance), Chiriches and possibly Townsend. But what's the point if we're just going to sign more rubbish. Wimmer to Leicester and Trippier to Norwich next summer :no:

Ringo
July 16th, 2015, 4:53 PM
Valdes to Valencia on loan appaz. Wonder if that's a hint at a deal for Otamendi. Real insist Ramos is staying, so they're surely going for him.

El Capitano Gatisto
July 16th, 2015, 5:21 PM
Unless we are playing three at the back it would be an odd move for him as he wont be displacing Stones or Jagielka.

We do need cover at Centre back but he doesnt sound like a cover signing. Hes a left sided centre back though isnt he? We dont have one of them quite ready for the first team (Galloway will be there eventually) so yeah, possible I suppose.

Evans really fucked it up last year, in theory he was Van Gaal's ideal defender as he's an excellent footballer with superb distribution and ability to carry the ball forward. Unfortunately his decision making and confidence seemed to drain away over the past 18 months rather than get better. He looked woefully lost in the back 3 system.

Definitely for a time he was United's best defender, when Ferdinand and Vidic were on the wane, and even at their peak he was absolutely superb in the run they had during which Van der Sar broke the record for minutes without conceding.

I think if he can stay fit and get games at Everton, he'll be a brilliant signing for them. He is better than Jagielka and should be able to phase him out of the side.

El Capitano Gatisto
July 16th, 2015, 5:26 PM
He was great when he played but was injured a fair bit. Gareth Barry seemingly aging 20 years in 3 months didn't help either.

He's a player who you either love or don't get. Hes not very flash, rarely scores or puts an assist in but he gets everywhere and does more attacking wise than people realise just by keeping things ticking over and giving an option. I think he's a fantastic player.

There is talk of a contract issue and a broken promise on renegotiating his deal but allegedly he wants to stay if he can. We would be looking for a lot of money for him, at least the same as what we got for Fellaini and I'm not sure anyone will cough that sum up.

He would be useful even for Arsenal or Chelsea at this point. City would be ropey, but he'd be better than Ferdando or Fernandinho. That said, if Spurs are in for him I don't see any sense in McCarthy making what essentially would be a sideways move. He is an excellent central midfielder who can cover a lot of ground and do a genuine box to box job, without compromising his defensive duties, he'd be better off staying at Everton and adding more goals to his game. If he does that, I think either Everton will progress or he will end up getting a move to a club at the sharpest end of the table.

El Capitano Gatisto
July 16th, 2015, 5:26 PM

turdpower
July 16th, 2015, 5:55 PM
Liverpool have apparently actually activated Benteke's release clause. I saw today that the reason United were linked with him seemed to be centred around a tweet that he'd favourited saying he'd be second string at United.

Whilst I'd happily nick a potential Liverpool signing, Di Maria for Cavani seems a decent swap for all concerned.

MMH
July 16th, 2015, 5:56 PM
Evans really fucked it up last year, in theory he was Van Gaal's ideal defender as he's an excellent footballer with superb distribution and ability to carry the ball forward. Unfortunately his decision making and confidence seemed to drain away over the past 18 months rather than get better. He looked woefully lost in the back 3 system.

Definitely for a time he was United's best defender, when Ferdinand and Vidic were on the wane, and even at their peak he was absolutely superb in the run they had during which Van der Sar broke the record for minutes without conceding.

I think if he can stay fit and get games at Everton, he'll be a brilliant signing for them. He is better than Jagielka and should be able to phase him out of the side.

I dont think he is better than Jagielka to be honest. When he's in form he's a cracking defender. Was out best player last season and is deceptively fast too.

Hes also our club captain of course so he aint getting dropped anytime soon.

Its a close call. It does make me laugh how many people think Evans is shit though. He obviously isnt.

MMH
July 16th, 2015, 5:58 PM
Liverpool have apparently actually activated Benteke's release clause. I saw today that the reason United were linked with him seemed to be centred around a tweet that he'd favourited saying he'd be second string at United.

Whilst I'd happily nick a potential Liverpool signing, Di Maria for Cavani seems a decent swap for all concerned.

Am I the only one who thinks that Cavani is stupidly overrated? I have never been massively impressed by him.