PDA

View Full Version : The Transfer Rumours Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64

Rip
September 2nd, 2014, 5:33 AM
And Ryan Taylor 'like a new signing'.

Oh, how could I forget...

Rumours flying about yesterday that RVP needs surgery.

Knee op, might be avoided though.

Andy
September 2nd, 2014, 6:43 AM
How many do you consider United to have? Just interested in what you're considering senior. Is Blackett counted?

Smalling, Jones, Evans, Rojo, Rafael, Shaw. Blind? I think you have to count Blackett as he's played as many games as Chambers.

Andy
September 2nd, 2014, 6:46 AM
I think seven or eight is the number you'd be looking for taking on four competitions.

The other area of weakness is our deep lying midfielder. Arteta and Flaming. That's the extent of our options.

Simon
September 2nd, 2014, 6:53 AM
Smalling, Jones, Evans, Rojo, Rafael, Shaw. Blind? I think you have to count Blackett as he's played as many games as Chambers.

Coquelin has played more Premier League football than Blackett. Also if you're including Blind then you would have to include Flamini for Arsenal. Isn't it enough to just say that Arsenal have too few defenders without trying to prove that you have it worst of all?

son_of_foley
September 2nd, 2014, 6:55 AM
Coquelin has played more Premier League football than Blackett. Also if you're including Blind then you would have to include Flamini for Arsenal. Isn't it enough to just say that Arsenal have too few defenders without trying to prove that you have it worst of all?

ding ding ding

Ringo
September 2nd, 2014, 6:56 AM
Blackett has 3 PL apps. Chambers has 25. That's not quite the same.

We only have Matic and Mikel for that position...

Peter Griffin
September 2nd, 2014, 6:57 AM
That's amazing. Worth posting the preceding tweets:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BwetPPdIMAISrQr.jpg:large

I think I would be pretty miffed if we sold one of our better young prospects to a league 1 side for what I assume to be peanuts.

Chris Scott
September 2nd, 2014, 7:33 AM
Yeah seen that on the Leeds twitter, what a piss take.

Grimario
September 2nd, 2014, 7:35 AM
I think seven or eight is the number you'd be looking for taking on four competitions.

The other area of weakness is our deep lying midfielder. Arteta and Flaming. That's the extent of our options.

What about that other side that is everyone's tip for the title that only has 5 defenders, Andy?

Peter Griffin
September 2nd, 2014, 7:51 AM
dont listen to And he is just a miserable fuck :D .. anyhow whats the deal with Rojo's wp? The guy is a full international so whats the hold up?

Torn
September 2nd, 2014, 7:52 AM
Criminal investigation about some "dispute" with a neighbour in 2010.

Grimario
September 2nd, 2014, 7:53 AM
dont listen to And he is just a miserable fuck :D .. anyhow whats the deal with Rojo's wp? The guy is a full international so whats the hold up?

He had an argument with his neighbours in 2010. It was a criminal matter or something.

Simon
September 2nd, 2014, 7:56 AM
Yeah he bottled the bloke.

Grimario
September 2nd, 2014, 8:03 AM
Yeah he bottled the bloke.

I heard it was an argument with Santa Claus. Or possibly a prostitute.

Grimario
September 2nd, 2014, 8:48 AM
Few Australian signings in the PL this window...

Jason Davidson gone to WBA (and was torn a new one by Dyer the other night)

And two youngsters have gone as well...
James Demetriou (might opt for Cyprus instead of Oz) formerly Nottm Forest and Giancarlo Gallifuoco from Spurs.

Peter Griffin
September 2nd, 2014, 8:53 AM
https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/sports-club-punish-duo-unacceptable-rolf-harris-dress-064014968--spt.html

Is this standard Australian 'banter' Grim?

Peter Griffin
September 2nd, 2014, 9:00 AM
http://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/wenger13.jpg

Grimario
September 2nd, 2014, 9:04 AM
https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/sports-club-punish-duo-unacceptable-rolf-harris-dress-064014968--spt.html

Is this standard Australian 'banter' Grim?

AFL banter? Maybe, I don't know... don't follow the sport.

Simon
September 2nd, 2014, 9:15 AM
http://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/wenger13.jpg

That's shite. Nothing will top this one that came out when they signed Ozil last year, even now it still makes me laugh.

http://db3.stb.s-msn.com/i/2B/96EFDDCB8EC3BC59119563597AD3_h498_w598_m2.jpg

_me
September 2nd, 2014, 11:48 AM
So is Rojo off or still on? I don't know about UK work permits. I hadn't seen any confirmation of the signing; can they still work out the permit issue now even though the deadline is over?

RuneEdge
September 2nd, 2014, 3:13 PM
LvG said that everything should be sorted by the time we play our next game.

Mik
September 2nd, 2014, 6:37 PM
They'll come through if they're good enough. Is there any other team in the league that only has six senior defenders?

Brown, o'shea, vergini.....

Peter Griffin
September 2nd, 2014, 6:44 PM
Vergini is out on loan no? But you also have Jones, Coates and Van Aanholt.

Mik
September 2nd, 2014, 6:52 PM
Vergini is with us on loan. Coates hasn't played a game and has just joined on loan. Van aanholt and jones are both brand new players. I'm stretching a point like Andy is, but if he'd like to swap defenders he'd certainly be welcome to.

Peter Griffin
September 2nd, 2014, 6:54 PM
Oh, I thought we were playing a who has the least defenders game :yes:

turdpower
September 2nd, 2014, 7:03 PM
I dont get the Falcao thing.

Is RVP getting dropped soon?

Are they moving to 4-3-3? Seems weird.

Fletcher was an absolute mess at the weekend as well. If Blind is playing CDM where does that leave Herrera/Feilani.

Seems like a mess of a squad

It seems more likely that Mata would get dropped. No idea if Rooney is a contender to start with RVP or Falcao or is going to be deeper and if he is then Mata gets dropped. You defitely cannot have a team with Falcao, RVP, Rooney and Mata in.

If 3-5-2 is the van Gaal "philosophy" (and it'd be weird if he changed just after the window) then it doesn't seem obvious.

El Capitano Gatisto
September 2nd, 2014, 7:18 PM
To be honest it seems unusual to start criticising teams for having too many class players. Competition should improve all of them. Van Persie has fitness issues and Rooney has issues with patchy form. Van Gaal has shown time and again he will drop anyone for the good of the team so really it makes things interesting. I think the midfield looks quite well balanced now with Blind, Herrera and di Maria, with Carrick and Fellaini to come back. Those players being fit will help the defenders. The players are there too to be flexible enough to shift between 3-4-1-2 and 4-3-3 depending on circumstances. I think they'll ship out Fellaini in January, Carrick and Fletcher will take a backseat and it seems certain Strootman will come in. As I've said, I think far too much is being made about the defenders they have and that they can improve greatly. Vidic and Ferdinand have been shit, frankly, for going on 2-3 years now so harping on about them is pointless, and they weren't helped at all either by a midfield that left them woefully exposed as age and injuries caught up with them.

For all Andy's whinging it is crazy that Wenger really failed to address Arsenal's glaring weaknesses from last season. His team is likely to get pounded again by the big sides because they still have the softest of underbellies and rely on Flamini in defensive midfield. He needed another senior centre-back with Vermaelan gone and a real defensive midfielder with discipline and mobility. Not easy to come by but paying the money could be the difference between a title challenge and another limp to 4th place. There is so much quality in their attacking midfield that it seems perverse they added Sanchez to play him out of position. Welbeck is an interesting signing in that he will do so much to make room for deeper players but is an even less reliable finisher than Giroud. It is absurd that Wenger went into the last week of August seeing the worst case scenario take place for his forward line. What's more, the worst case scenario could easily happen to their defence and he would have no real answer within the squad. It's poor planning whatever way you look at it.

RuneEdge
September 2nd, 2014, 7:22 PM
I don't know why people are under the assumption that 3-5-2 is his "philosophy". He's said a few times already that he's willing to change the formation, specifically mentioning 4-3-3. He's only gone with 3-5-2 because he felt it's the best way to be able to get all his best players onto the pitch together, without playing someone out of position.

With the players he's got in, it's near impossible to do that now. So now he's going to have re-evaluate his options.

The most popular line up from fans seems to be 4-3-1-2.

--------Falcao-----Van Persie------
---------------Rooney-------------------
---------------------------------------------
------Di Maria--------Herrera---------
------------------Blind--------------------
----------------------------------------------
Shaw---Rojo----Evans---Valencia
-----------------De Gea------------------

With the fullbacks providing the width, that could probably work a lot better than what were currently doing.

Andy
September 2nd, 2014, 7:26 PM
Yep, and that's why it's frustrating. The money is there now to improve but for whatever reason we aren't doing it. Blind would've been an interesting signing - providing flexibility and quality. He was clearly available at a reasonable price.

On the Sanchez point - a lot of the journos on 5Live the other night reckoned Sanchez himself wants to play up front and Wenger is willing to try it out. Hmm. The more perverse thing to me is playing Ozil on the left fucking wing instead of in the middle.

Andy
September 2nd, 2014, 7:27 PM
It's going to be interesting seeing Man United try to concede less than five goals a game if any of these predicted formations/lineups come to fruition.

Grimario
September 2nd, 2014, 7:34 PM
Yep, and that's why it's frustrating. The money is there now to improve but for whatever reason we aren't doing it. Blind would've been an interesting signing - providing flexibility and quality. He was clearly available at a reasonable price.

On the Sanchez point - a lot of the journos on 5Live the other night reckoned Sanchez himself wants to play up front and Wenger is willing to try it out. Hmm. The more perverse thing to me is playing Ozil on the left fucking wing instead of in the middle.

Yeah, because someone being available at a reasonable price means he is available to you instead of going to join his former national team coach and fellow countryman...

Andy
September 2nd, 2014, 7:38 PM
He went there at the eleventh hour on deadline day. I'm sure we could've got him had we gone in early.

Peter Griffin
September 2nd, 2014, 7:39 PM
No,thats when the deal went through, the deal was in place for a good while.

Peter Griffin
September 2nd, 2014, 7:40 PM
And what makes you so sure he would want to go to Arsenal?

El Capitano Gatisto
September 2nd, 2014, 7:43 PM
Arsenal went for a late deadline-bothering bid for Cabaye last summer which shows Wenger was thinking then he needed a midfielder who could prop up the base of his team and tackle a bit. This makes it even stranger he seemingly couldn't identify a decent target in the whole of the interim between then and now having been a problem he sought to address. Arteta does as well as he can there but he's not ideal.

Andy
September 2nd, 2014, 8:02 PM
No,thats when the deal went through, the deal was in place for a good while.

Only about a week wasn't it?

And what makes you so sure he would want to go to Arsenal?

Arsenal are a big team who play in the CL and pay big wages. Up until last week they were surely a more attractive proposition than Man United.

Grimario
September 3rd, 2014, 1:27 AM
Arsene Wenger tried to shore up his thin centre-back stocks with a Deadline Day move for Matija Nastastic, only for Manchester City to block the move, though reports also claim the Serbian was against the switch. After the 21-year-old shunned the Gunners, approaches were made for Celtic’s Virgil van Dijk, Aston Villa’s Ron Vlaar and West Ham’s Winston Reid, according to the Daily Express, though none proved successful.

Swansea’s best piece of transfer window business was keeping hold of Ivorian striker Wilfried Bony. Wales Online claim mega-rich AS Monaco came calling on Deadline Day, the Ligue One side needing to replace the Manchester-bound Radamel Falcao, but the Swans resisted their overtures for their main man up front.

Benfica were left fuming after Arsenal told them last minute they wouldn’t be selling Joel Campbell. The Portuguese club wanted to take him on season-long loan or buy him for $18m outright, but the Gunners failed pursuit for Loic Remy scuppered any hopes of Costa Rica’s World Cup star Campbell leaving north London. Despite Arsene Wenger publicly denying the Gunners would sell Campbell, The Mirror reports they offered QPR the player, plus cash for Loic Remy, before the Frenchman joined Chelsea instead.

The Rumour Mill regularly linked Manchester United and Arsenal to Sporting Libson’s William Carvalho, but when the clock struck 11pm on Monday night (England time) the Portugal international was staying at his club. The defensive midfielder has a release clause of $65m, but The Daily Express claims Sporting were open to offers closer to $35m. The duo came calling, but Carvalho elected to stay, claiming: “I have a deal with Sporting and I am a player of Sporting.”

“My present is this club and I am feeling very good with Sporting. “It really has not entered my head to leave Sporting on the last day.”

Fabio Borini looked destined to leave Liverpool for Sunderland after the Merseysiders accepted a $25m offer for the Italian striker, but he decided to dig his heels in on Deadline Day. QPR came calling late on Monday night when the Black Cats move collapsed, but Borini again refused to move, not accepting a drop in his $150,000 weekly wage demands. He tweeted his delight at staying with Liverpool.

Aston Villa’s loan swoop for Manchester Untied’s Tom Cleverley looked to have failed on Deadline Day, only to go through the next day. So much for the transfer window closing. The Premier League decided – at Villa and United’s request – that Cleverely’s representatives had given him poor advice as Everton also weighed up a last-ditch move. Hence, on Tuesday morning (England) time they allowed his loan to the Villains to go through.

Peter Griffin
September 3rd, 2014, 3:44 AM
Only about a week wasn't it?

Arsenal are a big team who play in the CL and pay big wages. Up until last week they were surely a more attractive proposition than Man United.

But as someone said, Working with Van Gaal was the pull for Blind, otherwise im sure he was happy where he was.

Simon
September 3rd, 2014, 4:19 AM
Up until last week they were surely a more attractive proposition than Man United.

In general probably not. In the case of a Dutch player with ties to Van Gaal definitely not. If Blind knew United wanted him I doubt Arsenal would have come into the equation, other than possibly to strengthen his hand in contract talks.

Gary J
September 3rd, 2014, 5:02 AM
Is Blind even actually that great. I can only remember seeing him play during the World Cup and apart from the Spain game I didn't think he was particularly good.

RFF Champ
September 3rd, 2014, 5:49 AM
Is Blind even actually that great. I can only remember seeing him play during the World Cup and apart from the Spain game I didn't think he was particularly good.

Same goes for the entire Holland tean.

Peter Griffin
September 3rd, 2014, 12:21 PM
Sky Sports News HQ ‏@SkySportsNewsHQ 4m
BREAKING: Crystal Palace sign striker Andy Johnson on short-term contract.

:panic:

Ringo
September 3rd, 2014, 12:31 PM
To be fair, Doyle and Johnson is a pretty good strike force.

YEAH IN 2006!

RFF Champ
September 3rd, 2014, 2:01 PM
Doyle has been done for a while now. Those two seasons up front on his own for Wolves scoring goals ran him into the ground.

Rip
September 3rd, 2014, 3:09 PM
Sky Sports News HQ ‏@SkySportsNewsHQ 4m
BREAKING: Crystal Palace sign striker Andy Johnson on short-term contract.

:panic:

As a forward coach though while retaining his registration isn't it?

Romford Pele
September 7th, 2014, 3:06 AM
Pleased with the Wellbeck signing. Still young, good price and will improve too. Got loads of pace in attack now, Wellbeck, Walcott and Sanchez

Romford Pele
September 7th, 2014, 3:14 AM
To be honest it seems unusual to start criticising teams for having too many class players. Competition should improve all of them. Van Persie has fitness issues and Rooney has issues with patchy form. Van Gaal has shown time and again he will drop anyone for the good of the team so really it makes things interesting. I think the midfield looks quite well balanced now with Blind, Herrera and di Maria, with Carrick and Fellaini to come back. Those players being fit will help the defenders. The players are there too to be flexible enough to shift between 3-4-1-2 and 4-3-3 depending on circumstances. I think they'll ship out Fellaini in January, Carrick and Fletcher will take a backseat and it seems certain Strootman will come in. As I've said, I think far too much is being made about the defenders they have and that they can improve greatly. Vidic and Ferdinand have been shit, frankly, for going on 2-3 years now so harping on about them is pointless, and they weren't helped at all either by a midfield that left them woefully exposed as age and injuries caught up with them.

For all Andy's whinging it is crazy that Wenger really failed to address Arsenal's glaring weaknesses from last season. His team is likely to get pounded again by the big sides because they still have the softest of underbellies and rely on Flamini in defensive midfield. He needed another senior centre-back with Vermaelan gone and a real defensive midfielder with discipline and mobility. Not easy to come by but paying the money could be the difference between a title challenge and another limp to 4th place. There is so much quality in their attacking midfield that it seems perverse they added Sanchez to play him out of position. Welbeck is an interesting signing in that he will do so much to make room for deeper players but is an even less reliable finisher than Giroud. It is absurd that Wenger went into the last week of August seeing the worst case scenario take place for his forward line. What's more, the worst case scenario could easily happen to their defence and he would have no real answer within the squad. It's poor planning whatever way you look at it.

Yeah, when TV left I though we had at least one CB lined up. I'm guessing the thinking is that Chambers will cover - I like him and he is very promising but we do need more experience. Lord help us if we play one of the big boys wih Monreal at CB.

I think we were in for William Carvalho for DMC position but they wanted 40m. I can't help thinking that with a less stubborn manager we could have been champions this season, 3rd at best

Beefy
January 2nd, 2015, 7:50 AM
Just thinking,... Would Jermain Defoe not be a good fit for Manchester City for six months?

son_of_foley
January 2nd, 2015, 8:09 AM
Just thinking,... Would Jermain Defoe not be a good fit for Manchester City for six months?

Nah as he's not very good

Beefy
January 2nd, 2015, 8:26 AM
Who are they going to get who is better, who knows the league and is happy to be fourth choice? Bony is away for six weeks by which point all their strikers will be fit. Defoe will hit the ground running, like Lampard has.

turdpower
January 2nd, 2015, 8:30 AM
He wasn't exactly on fire when he last played in the league, why would he suddenly be now?

Mik
January 2nd, 2015, 8:41 AM
Because he is a finisher and is playing for a better team who will only require him to finish the football.

Simon
January 2nd, 2015, 8:50 AM
Not sure why City need him really. They played without Aguero and Dzeko (and Jovetic for part) over Christmas and scored 11 goals in 4 games - their problem wasn't a lack of strikers, it was their bollocks defence. Milner and Silva both played as striker to reasonable effect. Defoe would probably bag a couple of goals when needed but it doesn't seem like a great fit for their system. Anyone he'll blatantly end up at QPR.

son_of_foley
January 2nd, 2015, 8:53 AM
Who are they going to get who is better, who knows the league and is happy to be fourth choice? Bony is away for six weeks by which point all their strikers will be fit. Defoe will hit the ground running, like Lampard has.

Youth players would be a better option

Peter Griffin
January 2nd, 2015, 12:00 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10390384_10152976871935797_6726794678973794093_n.j pg?oh=a96ac312b545d9f3fe479a8ab959bf52&oe=552EFD97&__gda__=1429701362_dddd139ec729491c91ecc5aad352c91 c

Gary J
January 2nd, 2015, 12:01 PM
He'll be replacing Chris Martin then since he's on his way to Hull apparently.

Peter Griffin
January 2nd, 2015, 12:10 PM
Nah just bolstering our options I would hope because Best has been wank.

son_of_foley
January 2nd, 2015, 12:19 PM
I'm going to make a dick of myself here.

RUDE BOY TINGS SIGNING.

TOP ONE THIS YEAR LADZ

well happy about this

Peter Griffin
January 2nd, 2015, 12:23 PM
I too am happy, I cant tell if you are taking the piss though.

Gary J
January 2nd, 2015, 12:43 PM
I actually don't know if there is any truth in the Chris Martin to Hull rumors probably just some dickheads on the Hull forums trying to look in the know.

We do need a striker too as if Jelavic or Hernandez aren't fit we'll be left with Aluko or Sagbo. Jordan Rhodes is probably a more likely target.

Peter Griffin
January 2nd, 2015, 12:51 PM
I would be very surprised if he left tbh, I know its a jump to the premier league, but we will hopefully be there in a few months anyway.

turdpower
January 7th, 2015, 1:47 PM
We've finally signed Valdes, strange one.

Definitely won't take the place of De Gea but surely he wouldn't sign to be a number 2?

Andy
January 7th, 2015, 1:48 PM
De Gea to Real.

turdpower
January 7th, 2015, 1:51 PM
Nar mate.

Ringo
January 7th, 2015, 1:53 PM
Messi to Chelsea

Bad Collin
January 7th, 2015, 2:25 PM
Valdes to United is annoying, we badly need a top keeper.

RuneEdge
January 7th, 2015, 4:06 PM
We've finally signed Valdes, strange one.

Definitely won't take the place of De Gea but surely he wouldn't sign to be a number 2?

The worrying thing is that Valdes is 32 years old, meaning he could in theory play on long enough to be considered a viable replacement for De Gea.
If he must leave for Madrid, I'd only accept it if it was part of a deal involving Bale going the other way. Even then, given the choice, I'd rather have De Gea over Bale.

turdpower
January 7th, 2015, 5:48 PM
I actually don't think he is a viable replacement considering his injuries and form.

Simon
January 7th, 2015, 6:17 PM
Really weird move for Valdes. He's got up to a decade left in him, he's still a top class goalkeeper (assuming the injury hasn't done him in, which it shouldn't since he's a goalkeeper) who IMO has been probably top 5 in the world over the past decade or so...and he's going to spend a few years sitting on United's bench? I don't get it. Unless there is a feeling De Gea will soon go - in which case it's a great long-term move to get such a good keeper in on a free - then it makes no sense. And I can't imagine there are any plans for De Gea to be sold. Madrid might well come in for him, but you'd imagine United would be well set to keep him at least for a few years.

Hope De Gea does go to Madrid though, seeing as they're being linked with Lloris all the time at the moment.

Beefy
January 7th, 2015, 6:22 PM
Valdes has never been a great keeper.

turdpower
January 7th, 2015, 6:48 PM
What an odd thing to say.

Beefy
January 7th, 2015, 7:23 PM
Why odd?

RuneEdge
January 7th, 2015, 7:26 PM
I actually don't think he is a viable replacement considering his injuries and form.
I meant considering his age. He'd probably still have 5+ years left in him, meaning we'd have signed a long term keeper on a free, whilst getting (I'd imagine) a huge fee for De Gea.
Injuries are one thing, but I wouldnt knock his form. Like Simon said, he's been a top keeper for some time now.

Hope De Gea does go to Madrid though, seeing as they're being linked with Lloris all the time at the moment.
Assuming Valdes has been brought in as a number 2, I'd bet we'd try to sign Lloris if we sold De Gea. The Mirror reckons we'd be after Tim Krul if our keeper left.

Having said all this, maybe we plan on keeping both Valdes and De Gea. Spurs have Lloris, Vorm and Friedel, and up until recently Chelsea had Courtois, Cech, and Schwarzer.
Is it really that weird to have two good keepers in this day and age?

turdpower
January 7th, 2015, 7:34 PM
Well while you bring it up, yes it is weird. Cech should not be on Chelsea's bench and Liverpool should be making lots of phonecalls to take him on loan.

turdpower
January 7th, 2015, 7:35 PM
Why odd?

Because he's very good.Certainly 3 or 4 years ago was the best keeper in La Liga and performed fantastically in the Champions League.

Unless you have some definitive scale of what great means?

Simon
January 7th, 2015, 7:41 PM
I meant considering his age. He'd probably still have 5+ years left in him, meaning we'd have signed a long term keeper on a free, whilst getting (I'd imagine) a huge fee for De Gea.
Injuries are one thing, but I wouldnt knock his form. Like Simon said, he's been a top keeper for some time now.

Assuming Valdes has been brought in as a number 2, I'd bet we'd try to sign Lloris if we sold De Gea. The Mirror reckons we'd be after Tim Krul if our keeper left.

Having said all this, maybe we plan on keeping both Valdes and De Gea. Spurs have Lloris, Vorm and Friedel, and up until recently Chelsea had Courtois, Cech, and Schwarzer.
Is it really that weird to have two good keepers in this day and age?
We wouldn't sell you Lloris. Levy's vendetta against United since the Berbatov deal would put paid to that. You were supposedly in for Bale and Modric (offering more than Madrid did for Bale) and he told you to fuck off. We don't sell to rival clubs any more, thank God.

Simon
January 7th, 2015, 7:42 PM
A lot of people don't rate Valdes. I don't really get it, he wasn't amazing when he was young and Barca were poop but he developed into a top keeper in his mid 20s.

RuneEdge
January 7th, 2015, 9:22 PM
We wouldn't sell you Lloris. Levy's vendetta against United since the Berbatov deal would put paid to that. You were supposedly in for Bale and Modric (offering more than Madrid did for Bale) and he told you to fuck off. We don't sell to rival clubs any more, thank God.

To be fair, Bale had his mind set on Madrid. Who knows what would've happened if he wanted to come to us. As for Modric, you guys didnt sell him to anybody when we were after him. By the time Spurs were looking to sell, we had stopped showing any interest in him.

Beefy
January 8th, 2015, 4:02 AM
Lol, Valdes was never the top keeper in La Liga. He is very mediocre. Anyone can look good if the opposition only have the ball 30% of the time.

He is the Spanish Tim Flowers. Good keeper but nowhere near elite.

Romford Pele
January 8th, 2015, 5:36 AM
Arsenal in for Cech apparently. Would love that, much better than Sz.

Simon
January 8th, 2015, 5:46 AM
Chelsea have just binned Schwarzer, there's no chance they will let Cech go.

Pablo Diablo
January 8th, 2015, 9:49 AM
Defoe back training with Spurs.

Ringo
January 8th, 2015, 12:02 PM
Inter signing Shaqiri on loan. Had been linked with Prem clubs a lot.

Andy
January 8th, 2015, 2:09 PM
They're having a good window.

Bad Collin
January 8th, 2015, 2:59 PM
Inter signing Shaqiri on loan. Had been linked with Prem clubs a lot.

The rumour is that he is going there until the summer when he'll sign for us. Sounds like bollocks, if he does well (he will) then he will be playing champions league football again next season. It must hard to sell Liverpool to top players at the moment.

Pablo Diablo
January 14th, 2015, 1:24 AM
Altidore-Defoe Swap between Sunderland and TFC.

I'd have been happier just getting money but in a league like MLS he could definitely bounce back and remember how to score.

The Rosk
January 14th, 2015, 5:51 AM
Jesus good deal for Sunderland considering he was so fucking awful.

Grimario
January 14th, 2015, 7:13 PM
News everywhere here is that Liverpool are looking to sign the Socceroos #1 to compete/replace Mignolet.

He's just been named Belgian League Keeper of the Year for the second in a row, so he's doing good things and he has been fantastic so far at the Asian Cup.

Bad Collin
January 14th, 2015, 7:41 PM
Can he catch?

turdpower
January 14th, 2015, 8:02 PM
Is Ben Arfa fucked, Fifa have blocked his move to Nice?

"The world governing body's transfer rules prevent a player from appearing for more than two clubs in one season.

The midfielder played eight games for Hull and one for Newcastle's under-21s earlier this season, with Fifa ruling the latter to be an official match."

And then a bit later:

"Newcastle confirmed the day before he joined Nice that both parties had reached an agreement to terminate his contract with immediate effect and by mutual consent."

turdpower
January 14th, 2015, 8:05 PM
Although didn't Mascherano have this problem and he was fine?

Grimario
January 14th, 2015, 8:19 PM
Can he catch?

He's got good reflexes. Haven't really had many straight at him this tournament that I can remember. He did look awfully nervous at the WC though... and has since talked about that.

This from a few days ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDVoHNKVKQk

And some fan made stuff from Club Brugge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1Emol3m-mk

Bad Collin
January 14th, 2015, 8:49 PM
He needs to be able to catch under pressure and organise a defence, this is where Mignolet is letting us down

Beefy
January 15th, 2015, 7:48 AM
Great day at Roots Hall - Jake Cassidy signed and Adam Barrett almost certain to follow.

EDIT - Barrett confirmed.

The Rosk
January 15th, 2015, 8:02 AM
Great day at Aston Villa. In order to cure the 11 goals in 21 League games issue, we have signed 22-year-old Valencia substitute Carles Gil. In an exciting interview, Gil said "I am sad to leave Valencia and I didn't want to leave".

GOALS GOALS GOALS

Alf
January 15th, 2015, 8:07 AM
Ahaha, looks like we are in for West Ham's Reid. He's out of contract in the summer APPAZ.

Beefy
January 15th, 2015, 8:11 AM
Great day at Aston Villa. In order to cure the 11 goals in 21 League games issue, we have signed 22-year-old Valencia substitute Carles Gil. In an exciting interview, Gil said "I am sad to leave Valencia and I didn't want to leave".

GOALS GOALS GOALS

ahahahaha!

Winston Reid is a weird one - everyone says he's really good but I don't think I've ever seen it.

Mik
January 15th, 2015, 2:12 PM
Looks like Jermaine Defoe might be the latest in the growing pattern of prolific good black strikers signing for Sunderland when they are no longer at that level anymore and consequently won't score any goals. Following the likes of andy cole, dwight Yorke, Louis Saha...all of which so far have resulted in 6 goals for Sunderland...all scored by Yorke.

Pablo Diablo
January 15th, 2015, 3:05 PM
Racist

Simon
January 15th, 2015, 3:11 PM

:lol:

Rip
January 15th, 2015, 5:59 PM
Looks like Jermaine Defoe might be the latest in the growing pattern of prolific good black strikers signing for Sunderland when they are no longer at that level anymore and consequently won't score any goals. Following the likes of andy cole, dwight Yorke, Louis Saha...all of which so far have resulted in 6 goals for Sunderland...all scored by Yorke.

The money involved seems mental for a player of his age with 1 goal in his last 14 premier league games, if rumors are to be believed of course.

Mik
January 15th, 2015, 7:34 PM
From what I've heard it's 3m plus altidore...so effectively 3m since altidore does absolutely nothing. I don't mind him but like some do, but his return is laughable, he's just a wage, that's all.

in honesty I think that Defoe will score goals, he's exactly the type of player that tends to score goals for Sunderland and he's exactly what we done have.

its not a huge risk if he doesn't though transfer wise.

id be looking at putting a bit of pace into the team though, however hard we are beat is balanced out by the fact that we are much easier to not lose against.

_me
January 16th, 2015, 3:18 AM
He needs to be able to catch under pressure and organise a defence, this is where Mignolet is letting us down
I always hear the "organize a defense". can someone explain what that means? I never played at any level so i've never understood that. is it during set pieces or the whole game? it seems like set pieces would be done it practice so its not one person's job to organize, all players should know on their own. and during the game i would think the CBs are the ones who set the depth and who chases whom, not the GK. and isn't that the coaches job?

RFF Champ
January 16th, 2015, 3:49 AM
The best goalkeepers are always talking to their defence, making sure they're in a line, making them aware of any danger running behind them and also dictating how high or deep on the pitch they are. The goalkeeper can see easily in a panoramic view where the holes in the defence are and can relay that easily.

It's ironic really that Jack Butland rejected Liverpool to go to Stole for more gametime but if he were at Liverpool now he'd be their number one as he's one of the best goalkeepers I've seen at seeing the wider picture and communicating with his defence.

McBain
January 16th, 2015, 3:53 AM

GOALS GOALS GOALS

:(

_me
January 17th, 2015, 12:00 PM
The best goalkeepers are always talking to their defence, making sure they're in a line, making them aware of any danger running behind them and also dictating how high or deep on the pitch they are. The goalkeeper can see easily in a panoramic view where the holes in the defence are and can relay that easily.

It's ironic really that Jack Butland rejected Liverpool to go to Stole for more gametime but if he were at Liverpool now he'd be their number one as he's one of the best goalkeepers I've seen at seeing the wider picture and communicating with his defence.
Thanks. I can see the aspect of having the wider view so I understand them being a set of eyes but it still seems strange to me that they are the primary "line-setter" rather than the people doing it. I always see CBs pointing and talking to each other. I thought that was their job - CBs at the back with the LB/RB setting their lines based on the CBs. This is where actually playing instead of just watching would help.

Mik
January 17th, 2015, 2:23 PM
Alex is quite correct.

RFF Champ
January 17th, 2015, 2:26 PM
Thanks. I can see the aspect of having the wider view so I understand them being a set of eyes but it still seems strange to me that they are the primary "line-setter" rather than the people doing it. I always see CBs pointing and talking to each other. I thought that was their job - CBs at the back with the LB/RB setting their lines based on the CBs. This is where actually playing instead of just watching would help.

Of course, the defenders talking to each other is crucial. A goalkeeper supplementing that can only help.

Andy
January 18th, 2015, 4:49 PM
Coquelin having a few good games means no defensive midfielder for us apart from this 17 year old from Poland I imagine. Surely we'll be getting a defender in though.

RFF Champ
January 22nd, 2015, 1:07 PM
5million for Kyle Naughton is daylight robbery.

Simon
January 22nd, 2015, 1:11 PM
Not really, he's decent. Offers literally nothing going forward - he's a bit of a throwback in that he's a full back who never gets ahead of the ball - but he's a solid defender, albeit one of the worst left backs I've ever seen at Spurs, and we have a long tradition of utterly dreadful left backs. 5m for a starting full back, which is what he will be at Swansea, is reasonable enough even if he wasn't getting any game time for us.

Alf
January 22nd, 2015, 1:15 PM
I think he means we are robbing Swansea, which we are. He's shiiiiiiiit.

And he's a right back primarily.

RFF Champ
January 22nd, 2015, 2:32 PM
Worth 5million - worst left back ever seen at the club - worth 5million. That argument was thought through.

MMH
January 22nd, 2015, 2:35 PM
Worth 5million - worst left back ever seen at the club - worth 5million. That argument was thought through.

Hes a right back aint he?

RFF Champ
January 22nd, 2015, 2:57 PM
If they sign another left back then he is. Even allowing for the fact he is considered better at right back and for the potential he showed at Norwich, it's too big a fee when there's such a large question mark around him and he's looked so bad.

Simon
January 22nd, 2015, 6:28 PM

He's a right back you plum, it makes perfect sense - he's good in his correct position but crap when he's played out of position on the left. Sol Campbell was probably the worst striker I've ever seen at Tottenham in his early days, didn't stop him being a top class centre back. So who's argument wasn't thought through?

Simon
January 22nd, 2015, 6:32 PM
If they sign another left back then he is. Even allowing for the fact he is considered better at right back and for the potential he showed at Norwich, it's too big a fee when there's such a large question mark around him and he's looked so bad.

He's looked bad at left back. He's never looked bad at right back - he's solid and consistent without being great. What question marks are there over him? He doesn't get picked because Walker is a better all-round full back offering a bit more going forward. 5m for a starting right back, which he will be, is reasonable...his value to Swansea is more important than his value to Spurs, in the same way that Salah is still worth 10m or more regardless of how far he is from getting games for Chelsea. There's probably better value in the market but it's not a crazy price for someone who has shown he can cut it in the Prem.

turdpower
January 22nd, 2015, 6:34 PM
Which journalist is going to have the balls to ask Mourinho why "rules are different for City", if Chelsea can bid similar amounts for Cuadrado

Simon
January 22nd, 2015, 6:42 PM
While I'm loathe to defend Chelsea, isn't his point that the City setup with joined clubs in USA and Australia is open to completely legitimate manipulation? For example City could sign any unattached player they like on a long-term contract for free, then immediately sell them to one of the partner clubs for a fair market price, allowing them to spend more money in the transfer market without getting into trouble on FFP.

Granted, Chelsea's millions come from a corrupt regime of brutality so he should probably cop himself on, but from a technical standpoint he is right to point out the difference - AFAIK Chelsea don't have that kind of setup.

El Capitano Gatisto
January 22nd, 2015, 6:48 PM
Chelsea are turning a profit now I think and have made a good profit on transfers lately so this is probably why they can afford Cuadrado.

RFF Champ
January 23rd, 2015, 4:19 AM
He's looked bad at left back. He's never looked bad at right back - he's solid and consistent without being great. What question marks are there over him? He doesn't get picked because Walker is a better all-round full back offering a bit more going forward. 5m for a starting right back, which he will be, is reasonable...his value to Swansea is more important than his value to Spurs, in the same way that Salah is still worth 10m or more regardless of how far he is from getting games for Chelsea. There's probably better value in the market but it's not a crazy price for someone who has shown he can cut it in the Prem.

Prospective role in the squad is so much further down the scale of important factors to consider than the player's ability that I'm not sure how to make a point to counteract you, it's just obvious. The question marks are that he's a ropey defender playing third string and not needed by his club. They've been had.

I think he showed himself as a good player at Norwich and there's every chance he recaptures that with Swansea. Doesn't mean they should pay what they have.

thegoat
January 23rd, 2015, 5:23 AM
Chelsea are turning a profit now I think and have made a good profit on transfers lately so this is probably why they can afford Cuadrado.

They are also looking at selling Shurrle and Salah to balance the books aren't they? Rather than spending the money and stockpiling players

Simon
January 23rd, 2015, 5:59 AM
Prospective role in the squad is so much further down the scale of important factors to consider than the player's ability that I'm not sure how to make a point to counteract you, it's just obvious. The question marks are that he's a ropey defender playing third string and not needed by his club. They've been had.
His ability is not in question, as you yourself noted - he's shown at both Spurs and Norwich that he's good enough for the PL. He isn't ropey at all. He's 'fine', 'alright', 'ok'. He's Phil Neville - reliable and solid but not going to change the world. His value is based on his importance to Swansea and his proven PL quality. How much exactly do you expect the fact that he isn't playing for Spurs to affect his value, given that if he was playing regularly for us he would, based on standard prices for top-six full backs, probably be worth three times what Swansea paid?

As I said before, I agree that Swansea could have got him slightly cheaper and probably could have got better value elsewhere - on a separate note, I don't think he's even necessarily a great fit given that Swansea's full backs are very much part of their attacking game, and Naughton is terrified of getting ahead of the ball - but 5m is not a ludicrous fee for Naughton...throwing out a rough estimate I'd say 3.5m-4m would be closer to his correct 'value', but then I've no idea of his contract status or any of the other things that affect a player's value. I'm not sure 5m can ever really be a ludicrous fee for a Premier League club any more - it's such a low figure nowadays that you can justify it being spent on almost anyone, let alone a player who has shown he can cut it at the highest level.

Yes, the fact that he can't get a game for Spurs is relevant, but it's not a defining factor in value - as I pointed out with the Salah example, which you ignored. You can debate the qualities of Walker and Dier, but being worse than them doesn't mean you're a bad player. But then you don't seem to know the first thing about him based on the fact you wrongly think he's crap, and seemingly weren't even aware he's a right back, given that you thought his inability to play at left back should be held against him.

RFF Champ
January 23rd, 2015, 7:15 AM
You are so sensitive when it comes to Spurs players and so to be seen as the oracle. He's the worst left back you've ever seen, he's worth 3-4million, he's 3rd choice but you continue arguing around these points that Swansea have bagged a bargain at 5million.

I didn't mention Mo Salah because why would I? What's the point in the discussion?

Simon
January 23rd, 2015, 7:26 AM
You are so sensitive when it comes to Spurs players and so to be seen as the oracle. He's the worst left back you've ever seen, he's worth 3-4million, he's 3rd choice but you continue arguing around these points that Swansea have bagged a bargain at 5million.

Jesus Christ.

To clarify once more - he is one of the worst left backs I've ever seen, BUT HE ISN'T A LEFT BACK. I think he's played maybe ten games there for us in emergencies, possibly fewer than that even. In his position, RIGHT BACK (!!!!!) he is perfectly fine. I also not only didn't say he was a bargain, but said he was overpriced, just not to a crazy extent. I have made this point more than once. You are literally making up your own points to argue against, you dimwit. That might work in spoken arguments but all the words are right here on the page for anyone to see.

It is nothing to do with trying to appear knowledgeable - you don't need to watch much football to know that Naughton isn't a left back, and never has been. As for being over-sensitive - as many people have pointed out over the years, I'm more than critical of Spurs, to the extent that The Rosk has got the hump with me for not knowing how good we have it. So yeah...another point that just doesn't stand up to even the most basic of analysis. In any case, if I was being defensive of Spurs, wouldn't I be agreeing with everyone saying we stitched Swansea up for a player who doesn't even play for us any more? You're talking shit. Again.

I didn't mention Mo Salah because why would I? What's the point in the discussion?
OK then, let's just use a more relevant example - Kyle Naughton. His value to Swansea is higher than his value to Tottenham because Swansea don't have as many good players. The fact that he couldn't get in the Tottenham team isn't that important - he's the same standard of player whether he's playing for us not, and he's of a standard that is good enough for Swansea. Swansea are paying 5m for a player who has proved himself to be a decent Premier League right back, he still had a couple of years on his contract, he's still in his mid-20s...all of which outweigh the fact that he wasn't getting a game for us. All these factors considered, they've overpaid but not massively.

Can someone please tell me I'm not going mad here and Alex is, not for the first time recently, talking absolute bollocks?

To clarify my points one more time for you, please read them carefully so as to avoid making mistakes:

1) Naughton is not a left back.
2) Naughton is a decent right back.
3) 5m is probably over-priced, but not massively.

RFF Champ
January 23rd, 2015, 7:36 AM
If I'm buying a 'proven Premier League right back', your words, then of course it's a worry and detrimental that they are such a bad left back. It's the identical job description.

RFF Champ
January 23rd, 2015, 7:38 AM
Here comes a response about the time Leeds paid a record fee for Lee Sharpe despite queries about his injury record meaning 3-4million RIGHT BACK Kyle Naughton is worth 5million.

Simon
January 23rd, 2015, 7:39 AM
If I'm buying a 'proven Premier League right back', your words, then of course it's a worry and detrimental that they are such a bad left back. It's the identical job description.

Just quoting this for posterity, as I'd imagine you'll be looking to edit it at some point. What a fucking stupid thing to say. Do you honestly believe that? :lol: How can someone watch football for God knows how many years, and come to such a basic misunderstanding of how football works. Fucking hell.

RFF Champ
January 23rd, 2015, 7:42 AM
See a post about a Spurs player, make a wild swing at what's been said and miss, claim the original poster is talking bollocks and doesn't know the players position, link in a point about a player in a different price bracket and position, post a laughing emoticon. What a time to be a football poster.

Simon
January 23rd, 2015, 7:46 AM
You just said that playing left back is exactly the same as being right back. Alex, I am not saying this to win the argument, or even to be a dick (maybe a little bit), but that is one of the most witless things I have ever seen in this forum.

Do you honestly think that any full back should be able to play both sides to more or less the same level? Seriously?

RFF Champ
January 23rd, 2015, 7:49 AM
I thought I'd hit bingo on my Simon Spurs player sensitivity card a few posts back. I missed the neg rep, and the can't argue the point so attack the person squares.

I didn't say they should be able to play both sides to the same level. Read the post.

Simon
January 23rd, 2015, 7:54 AM
It was a rare example of a post that genuinely deserved a neg rep for the originally intended reasons ie. you think it's such a stupid thing to say that it needs to be officially acknowledged.

This is becoming a circular argument so I think I'll duck it for now. Might wade back in later depending on what stupid comments you make.

YES. Superb.

Simon
January 23rd, 2015, 7:54 AM
DP

RFF Champ
January 23rd, 2015, 7:56 AM
I can’t buy the idea that he’s a proven Premier League quality right back based on his time at Norwich because the sample size is too small. He showed potential but in the same season Russell Martin played well at centre back, that doesn’t equate to him being proven Premier League quality. He’s a player who could prove a great right back for Swansea but he has shown defensive frailties and regardless of the position that’s a concern. That added to the fact he isn’t wanted or needed at his club and there’s no reported competition for him is why I say 5mil is expensive for a player of his ilk.

Alf
January 23rd, 2015, 8:21 AM
Naughton is lower low low prem standard.

Red Dog
January 23rd, 2015, 9:03 AM

GOALS GOALS GOALS
This is a funny post but at least you are actually allowed to sign players in the next 3 windows.

We can only dream of Carlos Gill.

Beefy
January 27th, 2015, 4:47 PM
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jan/27/sky-spare-reporters-sex-toy-humiliation-deadline-day

Thank fuck.

turdpower
January 27th, 2015, 5:48 PM
This time round, Sky will rely on a more studio-based presentation based partly around Gary Neville, Thierry Henry and Jamie Carragher. Their reporters will be stationed inside training grounds or behind the safety of club gates.

I always wondered why they didn't utalise their normal pundits more for transfer deadline day. They always wheel out nobody.

The Rosk
January 28th, 2015, 12:17 PM
Carles Gil has had a good start at Villa, scoring a cracker against Bournemouth and showing a few good touches against Liverpool. Having someone in midfield who knows how to pass forwards should not be a fucking luxury.

Apparently talks have also restarted with Scott Sinclair. I can't imagine he'll be great straight away even if he does come because his arse must be so fucking splintered, but it is still a decent buy.

Peter Griffin
January 28th, 2015, 5:36 PM
Been linked with Ince on loan, 12 months ago I would of been well happy, but from what I gather he's done fuck all this season at Hull or Forest.

Gary J
January 28th, 2015, 5:56 PM
Nah he's been good for us when he has actually played.

If true though. I find this transfer puzzling, we signed him for 2.3 million for 2 years ,he then spends his first year out on loan, so we'll have him for one season before he becomes a free agent.

Romford Pele
January 29th, 2015, 8:31 AM
Paulista confirmed. havent seen enough to see how he is, but it is nice to have a defender.

The squad seems much more balanced now, no reason we cannot come 3rd and win the cup.

Simon
January 29th, 2015, 8:36 AM
He looks delighted to be there.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B8ggwxAIcAAEI20.jpg

TraXX
January 29th, 2015, 8:37 AM
Jesus, it looks like someone's shit in his cornflakes!

Romford Pele
January 29th, 2015, 11:48 AM
He is an ugly bastard. Good, he wont mind getting stuck in then.

MikeHunt
January 29th, 2015, 1:41 PM
That's how it works

Simon
January 29th, 2015, 1:44 PM
http://marcomignani.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/01-CANNAVARO-02.jpg

Shit.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_297mRDhQoF4/S1344nYjuKI/AAAAAAAABBI/Emu4Bq6Rj2M/s400/ACMilanvACSienaSerieA4mnki29crKBl.jpg

Shit.

http://talksport.com/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/tscouk_old_image/127767660.jpg?itok=roTppbA2

Class.

MikeHunt
January 29th, 2015, 2:00 PM
Fuck sorry nature boy. I take it back.

Romford Pele
January 30th, 2015, 4:51 AM
Tony Adams, Martin Keown, John Terry, Terry Butcher, Stuart Pearce

MikeHunt
January 30th, 2015, 5:55 AM
The point is your looks hardly define your characteristics.

Peter Griffin
January 30th, 2015, 1:10 PM
Tony Adams, Martin Keown, John Terry, Terry Butcher, Stuart Pearce

Jake Buxton

Red Dog
January 31st, 2015, 5:51 AM
Spot the odd one out!

Andy
February 1st, 2015, 7:20 PM
It seems to have slipped under the radar a bit but we have sent THREE strikers out on loan this month, leaving us with one fit one at the club. Crazy. We've signed a defender, great, but I still think we need another one and a midfielder. And a striker now too obviously. The seeming inability to create a balanced squad is so frustrating. Letting Podolski go was a baffling decision to me.

MMH
February 1st, 2015, 8:41 PM
It seems to have slipped under the radar a bit but we have sent THREE strikers out on loan this month, leaving us with one fit one at the club. Crazy. We've signed a defender, great, but I still think we need another one and a midfielder. And a striker now too obviously. The seeming inability to create a balanced squad is so frustrating. Letting Podolski go was a baffling decision to me.

Didnt you win 5-0 today?

Fucking hell....

The Rosk
February 2nd, 2015, 3:27 AM
Agahhahaahaahhaahhahahaaah

son_of_foley
February 2nd, 2015, 3:47 AM
Didnt you win 5-0 today?

Fucking hell....

I think there's some interesting logic there too. Wanting to call Podolski and Joel Campbell strikers when they've played a similar position to Walcott/Sanchez and others seems a bit weird to me.

Sanogo needs games and not for a team with any real ambitions this year so how anyone can complain about that is ridiculous.

I mentioned to him at the start of the year that Bellerin wouldn't have come through this year without the space of Jenkinson going to West Ham but it fell on deaf ears.

The sense of entitlement from Andy is unreal. He is almost a parody of the 'sky generation' of football fans. Something I don't think really exists but my god he's close

Andy
February 2nd, 2015, 5:44 AM
This is the transfer thread, that's why I didn't mention us winning 5-0. Yeah we played well, Villa are one of the most boring dismal teams I've seen in recent years.

So explain to me where the entitlement is. Arsenal have the resources to strengthen but again and again we don't leaving us with unbalanced squads compared to others.

Podolski and Campbell are strikers. They've been played out of position at times (although Campbell has barely played at all) whereas Walcott and Sanchez can play across a number of positions. Having said that, neither's best position is up front. Campbell had a great year last year up front, Podolski has put in his best performances for us up front and has always been clinical.

I'm not convinced on the Bellerin point. We are so so short at the back that he would've had a very good chance of playing time even if Jenkinson (who has been excellent at West Ham by the way) didn't leave. We've had injuries to Kos, Debuchy, Gibbs and Monreal has ended up playing loads of games at centre back.

Simon
February 2nd, 2015, 5:47 AM
Walcott and Sanchez might both be better elsewhere (not true with Sanchez IMO) but both are probably better than the level of player you could bring in to sit on the bench and wait for Giroud to get injured. There's no point in buying another expensive high-end striker when you only have room for one, and anyone you bring in on the cheap will be worse than Sanchez or Walcott regardless of where you think they are best suited to playing.

Andy
February 2nd, 2015, 5:52 AM
No way Sanchez is better up top. We played him there when Giroud first got injured and he was nowhere near as effective.

son_of_foley
February 2nd, 2015, 5:53 AM
This is the transfer thread, that's why I didn't mention us winning 5-0. Yeah we played well, Villa are one of the most boring dismal teams I've seen in recent years.

So explain to me where the entitlement is. Arsenal have the resources to strengthen but again and again we don't leaving us with unbalanced squads compared to others.

Podolski and Campbell are strikers. They've been played out of position at times (although Campbell has barely played at all) whereas Walcott and Sanchez can play across a number of positions. Having said that, neither's best position is up front. Campbell had a great year last year up front, Podolski has put in his best performances for us up front and has always been clinical.

I'm not convinced on the Bellerin point. We are so so short at the back that he would've had a very good chance of playing time even if Jenkinson (who has been excellent at West Ham by the way) didn't leave. We've had injuries to Kos, Debuchy, Gibbs and Monreal has ended up playing loads of games at centre back.

They got rid of Jenkinson to clear the path for Bellerin more. How can that not be obvious to you?

Podolski has not played centrally for Arsenal very much and Campbell never has. Walcott has played centrally as much as either of them.

The sense of entitlement is wanting yet another defender? This person would be coming in as what 4th,5th or 6th choice CB? You always do this. We need more players. Who and where are they going? If you said we need to replace Mert then fair enough. If you said Coquelin is unlikely to be good enough so we need someone who is now fair enough but it's this weird obsession of just saying hey we need more and more players seemingly unable to realise that the ilk of players you want probably have other options than to come and be a squad player for Arsenal.

son_of_foley
February 2nd, 2015, 5:54 AM
Podolski with 0 goals in 6 appearances for Inter

Simon
February 2nd, 2015, 5:56 AM
Enjoyably quiet day ahead for Spurs apparently. Possibly signing Dele Alli from MK Dons and loaning him back for the season, I'm eagerly anticipating him being released on a free in 2019 having played 15 minutes in a Europa League dead rubber. A few players potentially leaving but none seemingly close - Lennon is all agreed but apparently 'personal issues' have led him to delay his decision, that one could go to the wire seeing as everything is all tied up and waiting for his signature. Would be perfectly happy to lose Chiriches or Kaboul and Capoue and/or Paulinho. Not particularly bothered about getting anyone else in.

son_of_foley
February 2nd, 2015, 5:56 AM
Dele Ali really does look a player.

Gary J
February 2nd, 2015, 6:05 AM
One thing that has slipped under the radar regarding Arsenal and transfers is that Wenger has spent 100m this season. Hopefully this gets pointed out next time he moans about how unfair the spending power of Man City and Chelsea is.

son_of_foley
February 2nd, 2015, 6:06 AM
One thing that has slipped under the radar regarding Arsenal and transfers is that Wenger has spent 100m this season. Hopefully this gets pointed out next time he moans about how unfair the spending power of Man City and Chelsea is.

Should be signing MOR

MOST EXPENSIVE SEASON TICKETS IN THE WORLD

Rip
February 2nd, 2015, 6:08 AM
I hate deadline day.

Simon
February 2nd, 2015, 6:09 AM

So did John Bostock :(

I think I've said this before, but genuinely it just annoys me when we sign a young kid who is doing well in the lower leagues now, we're now Diet City in that we've become a club which youngsters can join on a good wage and basically just retire from competitive football for five years before starting their career properly. Look at the difference Sinclair made to Villa's attack when he came on yesterday - he could have been doing that at any PL side outside the top six (possibly top four?) for the past few years instead of sitting in the stands wondering if he'll ever even get on the bench.

The Rosk
February 2nd, 2015, 6:21 AM
Heard we are after Dele Alli too. Unlikely.

Unsurprised that Faulkner has followed Pearce out of Forest after 5 months. Complete fucking moron.

The Rosk
February 2nd, 2015, 6:28 AM
So did John Bostock :(

I think I've said this before, but genuinely it just annoys me when we sign a young kid who is doing well in the lower leagues now, we're now Diet City in that we've become a club which youngsters can join on a good wage and basically just retire from competitive football for five years before starting their career properly. Look at the difference Sinclair made to Villa's attack when he came on yesterday - he could have been doing that at any PL side outside the top six (possibly top four?) for the past few years instead of sitting in the stands wondering if he'll ever even get on the bench.

Yeah he was good considering.

Villa fans are in uproar again after the capitulation yesterday. I don't care about losing to a form team who just beat Man City away. I just don't like moronic tactics and the players then giving up for the final half hour of a game. Why on Earth would anyone play high against a team with the counter-attacking ability of Arsenal. It is actually amateurish. The players we have should not be fighting a relegation battle, but they are being led by a man they and the fans now can't bring themselves to respect. But we aren't going to get rid of him, because it would be like "tossing a coin" according to our new CEO.

urrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhh

Simon
February 2nd, 2015, 6:38 AM
Yeah he was good considering.

Villa fans are in uproar again after the capitulation yesterday. I don't care about losing to a form team who just beat Man City away. I just don't like moronic tactics and the players then giving up for the final half hour of a game. Why on Earth would anyone play high against a team with the counter-attacking ability of Arsenal. It is actually amateurish. The players we have should not be fighting a relegation battle, but they are being led by a man they and the fans now can't bring themselves to respect. But we aren't going to get rid of him, because it would be like "tossing a coin" according to our new CEO.

urrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhh

It's not like he was even that good, simply having a player willing to drive directly at goal made a difference to a struggling team. It just drives me up the wall seeing these talented players not getting ANY playing time at all, he barely ever even made the bench for City. I know the money's good, but fucking hell.

FWIW I think a front three of Sinclair-Benteke-Gil could be half-decent and offer more goal threat if you had a midfielder capable of getting the ball to them quickly. Gil looked decent yesterday but getting the ball to him was so laboured that by the time he actually had it there were usually three around him and he couldn't get any space to really whip a cross in. Benteke looks absolutely shit at the moment and I can't work out if that's because of the setup, or part of the problem. He could do more I guess, seems like he's mentally checked himself out of Villa already.

Simon
February 2nd, 2015, 6:59 AM
Five year deal for Harry Kane confirmed. Badman.

The Rosk
February 2nd, 2015, 7:13 AM
Benteke isn't doing himself any favours, but I can hardly blame him. He's got two morons either side of him and he probably wishes he got out while he had the chance. 11 in 23 is shocking and any other manager would have been sacked by now. Alas we are a club up for sale and Lambert should have gone in October or November. Not sure who would come to us worth their salt now anyway, so I have to hope that three of QPR, Leicester, Hull or Burnley keep below us for the next three months.

Simon
February 2nd, 2015, 8:07 AM
Based on the handful of times I've seen you this season, I think you could be for it. Like I said yesterday, there was basicallo zero chance of you scoring outside of set pieces, and you weren't really getting into the areas where you would win dangerous set pieces. I don't understand how Villa managed to play such a high line and yet still never seem to have anyone in support of Benteke, essentially you were playing with nine outfield players in the space of about thirty yards either side of the halfway line. If you're playing with no attacking intent and still conceding five things are majorly wrong. You'd think Lambert would switch to a more aggressive attacking tactic, but I'm not sure he knows how.

Huth has gone to Leicester. Will miss a few games in the next month or so because of his Twitter madness though. Schurrle to Wolfsburg is apparently close as well.

The Rosk
February 2nd, 2015, 8:52 AM
That is hardly a shocking prediction Simon. I have called it for three months. We're fucking awful. The only goals we've scored in the last few months have mainly been solo class goals that managers can take the least credit for.

Andy
February 2nd, 2015, 9:23 AM
They got rid of Jenkinson to clear the path for Bellerin more. How can that not be obvious to you?

Podolski has not played centrally for Arsenal very much and Campbell never has. Walcott has played centrally as much as either of them.

The sense of entitlement is wanting yet another defender? This person would be coming in as what 4th,5th or 6th choice CB? You always do this. We need more players. Who and where are they going? If you said we need to replace Mert then fair enough. If you said Coquelin is unlikely to be good enough so we need someone who is now fair enough but it's this weird obsession of just saying hey we need more and more players seemingly unable to realise that the ilk of players you want probably have other options than to come and be a squad player for Arsenal.

Debuchy was bought in as first choice and until the last game or two Chambers was preferred out of position to Bellerin so no, I don't think Jenkinson went to clear the way for Bellerin.

Yet another defender?! We have three centre backs on our books now! It's not like we're Chelsea stockpiling wingers or something, we literally went into this season with two centre backs. Is it really such a horrible sense of entitlement to want four? Especially with Kos' tendon issues supposedly being chronic and Mert being badly out of form.

I didn't think I'd have to spell out that a bloke who was on loan at Charlton until such severe injuries and lack of options in that position forced us to recall him. Arteta is a very good player but unfortunately becoming more and more liable to be injured and Flamini just isn't up to it. It's definitely a position we can improve on.

And yes, Giroud is first choice at the moment but that doesn't mean we don't need back up or competition. Look what happened when we didn't have that last season - Giroud was played until he looked tired, lost form and then broke down. Same has happened with Koscielny and it looks like the same has happened with Gibbs too.

Simon
February 2nd, 2015, 9:32 AM
You have four centre backs. Mertesacker, Koscielny, Gabriel, Chambers. Chambers is a centre back who has mainly played at right back through circumstance thus far in his career.

Andy
February 2nd, 2015, 9:42 AM
Well whatever he is, Wenger is obviously reluctant to play him there since he'd rather play Nacho fucking Monreal there. So he either needs to start playing him at centre back or confirm that he doesn't see him as one and buy another one.

son_of_foley
February 2nd, 2015, 9:44 AM
Debuchy was bought in as first choice and until the last game or two Chambers was preferred out of position to Bellerin so no, I don't think Jenkinson went to clear the way for Bellerin.

Yet another defender?! We have three centre backs on our books now! It's not like we're Chelsea stockpiling wingers or something, we literally went into this season with two centre backs. Is it really such a horrible sense of entitlement to want four? Especially with Kos' tendon issues supposedly being chronic and Mert being badly out of form.

I didn't think I'd have to spell out that a bloke who was on loan at Charlton until such severe injuries and lack of options in that position forced us to recall him. Arteta is a very good player but unfortunately becoming more and more liable to be injured and Flamini just isn't up to it. It's definitely a position we can improve on.

And yes, Giroud is first choice at the moment but that doesn't mean we don't need back up or competition. Look what happened when we didn't have that last season - Giroud was played until he looked tired, lost form and then broke down. Same has happened with Koscielny and it looks like the same has happened with Gibbs too.

Of course he went to clear the way. If Jenkinson was around fo you think Bellerin would be playing right now? Yes or No?

So you have a player finding form in midfield and you want today to go buy a replacement for him? Or are you expecting an established player to come in and sit on the bench behind someone who was on loan at Charlton? That and you've just bought another DM this window who whilst young has to be seen as a prospect who can take over from Arteta/Flamini

You just always say we need to buy players but who are they Andy? Are they first teamers or squad members? This summer you've bought a first choice RB, a back up CB and now a first choice CB. You have 2 very strong left backs including one who can seemingly fill on ok at CB (he's realistically 5th choice). You have new RB, Chambers who can play right back, Bellerin and Jenkinson (squad players occasionally have to go and play football)

I honestly can't remember the last time you've seemed positive about the club or football in general. Months of crying about defenders and now it's crying about strikers. God forbid Wellbeck who you signed this year has to play instead of Yaya Sanogo or Theo Walcott plays instead of Joel Campbell. The only net loss you've had is Podolski who wasn't even trusted to play upfront when Giroud was out was he? So what's the point?

RFF Champ
February 2nd, 2015, 9:47 AM
You have four centre backs. Mertesacker, Koscielny, Gabriel, Chambers. Chambers is a centre back who has mainly played at right back through circumstance thus far in his career.

It's fair to say he's gone to Arsenal to play CB, imo that's what he was signed for. He definitely isn't a nailed on centre back though and he wasn't in the youth teams either, personally I like him much more at right back.

son_of_foley
February 2nd, 2015, 9:47 AM
Well whatever he is, Wenger is obviously reluctant to play him there since he'd rather play Nacho fucking Monreal there. So he either needs to start playing him at centre back or confirm that he doesn't see him as one and buy another one.

Monreal has done alright for fucks sake. Can you not work out that he may have decided that having a backup LB who can cover at CB is easier than just asking Monreal to be Gibb's understudy and having another CB just sitting around as 5th choice? Squad building isn't just having 2.5 players for every position, he has to keep them engaged and feeling part of it. The issue comes when the players he's keeping engaged are either too old or too injury prone to give worthwhile contributions. That's not when you add more players to the squad but it's when you add replacements

Simon
February 2nd, 2015, 10:59 AM
Apparently we're trying to force through Lennon's move to Hull because we need them to stay up or we'll lose a fortune in add-on fees for Livermore, Huddlestone and Dawson if they go down :lol: the transfer game is mad nowadays.

son_of_foley
February 2nd, 2015, 11:04 AM
Might impact us getting Tom Ince as well so yeah force that through cheers

Simon
February 2nd, 2015, 11:09 AM
I'll do my best mate.

Romford Pele
February 2nd, 2015, 11:59 AM

Not true Andy. The reason he didnt play Chambers at CB for a bit was because you would have Bellerin and Chambers on the right side of the defence, ie - very little experience. Monreal for all his faults at CB (and there are some) at least gave a bit more experience to the back line.

I wouldnt want to be going away to some tough games and having Bellerin and Chambers both in the back four at this stage.

For once, we have had an excellent window. Havent seen much about Gabriel, but he gives another option at CB especially with Kos a bit injury prone this season. We have been fortunate with the return of Coquelin and his subsequent form, for that reason I would be suprised if we added a midfielder now. Perhaps in the summer if we let Flamini go.

Upfront we have let Sanogo, Podolski and Campbell all go on loan to give them game time. Podolski was never more than a squad player despite being a great finisher. With Chuck Akprom looking decent (even if he is going at the end of the season) and Wellbeck to return we look decent upfront.

Feels much better than the start of the season.

Rip
February 2nd, 2015, 7:27 PM

5m looks a good bit of business for him, young, pace, talent and English.

Can't go wrong even if they just sit on him/loan him out for a couple of years they'll turn a profit.

Bad Collin
May 30th, 2015, 9:26 AM
Joke bid from us for Clyne yesterday. There's no way he doesn't go to a champions league team.

It's good that we are trying to get business done early though.

Chris Scott
May 30th, 2015, 9:42 AM
I hope we get him and think if we offer 15m they'll accept. Also I think he'd jump at the chance for us, he'll play almost every game at right back then he wound in the likes of United and Arsenal.

thegoat
May 30th, 2015, 9:47 AM
Really? I think he'd probably stay with Southampton and wait for a chance at a Champions League team. If Liverpool is the best offer he gets he may as well stay where he is.

Chris Scott
May 30th, 2015, 9:51 AM
Problem is he's only got one year left on his contract, so any offers Southampton deem worthy they take the deal. Looks like we're only team to bid for him so far so I think he'll go to us then stay another year at Southampton.

thegoat
May 30th, 2015, 10:01 AM
Pretty sure I read somewhere he has said he would be happy to sign a new deal. I just dont really see Liverpool being any better a place for him to play for a couple of years before he plays for a Champions League side than Southampton.

Andy
May 30th, 2015, 10:08 AM
Don't think 15m would do it. I think he'll end up at United. None of the other CL teams need a RB.

Ringo
June 2nd, 2015, 4:39 AM
Milner to Liverpool by the looks of it. That's a really good signing.

son_of_foley
June 2nd, 2015, 4:57 AM
I like Milner but I'm trying to work out where he fits? Is he going to play wide right of a front 3? Assuming it's 4-2-3-1 I guess that's Sterling wide left, Couthinho centrally and Milner right?

Henderson and A.N Other centrally?

I think Ings will be a good signing. Upgrade on Borini/Lambert.

It's whether they also get Mandzukic or Benteke

Bad Collin
June 2nd, 2015, 5:03 AM
Benteke

Lallana Coutinho Milner

Henderson Can

Spot the optimistic pick. I think we should pay Benteke's release clause. 32.5m is a lot of money but he is a proven goalscorer and he's young. We need to be doing business early if we can.

Milner would be a great signing, he can operate anywhere in an advanced midfield position and I think he could also do a job at wing back.

Presuming that we get Ings in and sell Sterling for a decent amount that should leave some money left over to go for a right back and someone like Pedro or Yarmolenko.

BBF
June 2nd, 2015, 5:25 AM
Isn't yarmolenko on a free or is that kolompiyompianka?

RFF Champ
June 2nd, 2015, 5:34 AM
If they offer Milner more than they offered Sterling then they're stupid.

BBF
June 2nd, 2015, 5:40 AM
Milner will take less than city offered. APPAZ Vincent kompany was diddling his missus so he just wants out.

Bad Collin
June 2nd, 2015, 5:40 AM
Why Alex? Don't you believe him when he says it's not about the money?

Romford Pele
June 2nd, 2015, 5:48 AM
I will be suprised if Liverpool sign Benteke or Clyne. Both have CL teams in for them, so why would they choose Liverpool?

Benteke would be first choice at United or Arsenal both of whom are in CL, or may go to Chelsea and be backup to Costa who is injury prone.

As for Clyne, he has said he may sign a new deal. If he doesnt go to United I think he will stay. Southampton are arguably the same level as Liverpool at the moment.

The Rosk
June 2nd, 2015, 5:48 AM
I think Benteke is only going to go to someone who can offer proper European football by the sounds of his agent.

Milner is a great signing for Liverpool. He can play anywhere in the front six positions. He has played 90 games for City doing that role and so I'm sure he'd be a great asset doing the same role for an inferior team.

Rip
June 2nd, 2015, 5:54 AM
Ings wants first team football guarantees apparently, not sure how that will hurt the chances of a Liverpool move.

Rumor is we have agreed terms and a price but he is waiting on our Manager getting sorted and a counter offer from Liverpool and someone else since we're probably not his prefered option.

My brother in law is convinced he will end up at Sunderland with Dyche.

Benteke should stay where he is for another year, but I have a horrible feeling he will end up on Citys bench and put himself back two years.

RFF Champ
June 2nd, 2015, 5:55 AM
Why Alex? Don't you believe him when he says it's not about the money?

I don't know whether it's about the money for him or not. They should try and tempt him with the money though.

RFF Champ
June 2nd, 2015, 5:56 AM
I think Benteke is only going to go to someone who can offer proper European football by the sounds of his agent.

Milner is a great signing for Liverpool. He can play anywhere in the front six positions. He has played 90 games for City doing that role and so I'm sure he'd be a great asset doing the same role for an inferior team.

He played quite a few in a deeper midfield role too, including Champions League games. Perfect signing for Liverpool.

Bad Collin
June 2nd, 2015, 6:31 AM
I didn't know that about Ings, that seems a sensible decision but what team can really promise guaranteed first team football?

Rosk, I think you are right about Benteke but we should try anyway. Pay the release clause and offer him a huge chunk of money and say we'll build the team around him.

Simon
June 2nd, 2015, 7:39 AM
I didn't know that about Ings, that seems a sensible decision but what team can really promise guaranteed first team football?

He would be a starter for probably half the teams in the league. Based on last season's form you could even make a case for him starting for United ahead of Van Persie and Falcao (though Rooney might move back there next season) and ahead of Pelle for Southampton, so really you're only talking about the top three, Tottenham and Everton being teams where he wouldn't be a regular starter.

Rosk, I think you are right about Benteke but we should try anyway. Pay the release clause and offer him a huge chunk of money and say we'll build the team around him.

With the new TV deal, 32m probably won't seem like a huge figure for a top striker for much longer.

MMH
June 2nd, 2015, 12:50 PM
I see Yehvan Konaplyanka is still being linked strongly with Stoke. Would be quite the coup for them that if they could pull it off. Fantastic player on a free and seemingly suited to the English game. Would love us to make a move for him. Instead we are linked with Tom Cleverley and Scott Dann currently.

RFF Champ
June 2nd, 2015, 2:09 PM
I wasn't that impressed with Konoplyanka in the Europa League. He's obviously a lively player but massively one footed and very predictable. I don't think he's as good as Arnautovic.

Ringo
June 3rd, 2015, 8:48 AM
I was skeptical about bringing Falcao to Chelsea, even as a third choice striker on loan... but now I'm reading reports that it'll be a permanent transfer for a figure in the region of 25m. Sounds fairly ridiculous. At least a loan (albeit an expensive one) would be comparatively low risk.

RFF Champ
June 3rd, 2015, 10:18 AM
Jose has got to be concerned about Remy at this point. If he's laying into Loftus-Cheek for friendly performances then Remy's showing against Liverpool must have caused a shitstorm.

turdpower
June 3rd, 2015, 12:43 PM
Milner will take less than city offered. APPAZ Vincent kompany was diddling his missus so he just wants out.

:lol:

BBF
June 3rd, 2015, 12:58 PM
ITK :cool:

RuneEdge
June 3rd, 2015, 1:18 PM
I was skeptical about bringing Falcao to Chelsea, even as a third choice striker on loan... but now I'm reading reports that it'll be a permanent transfer for a figure in the region of 25m. Sounds fairly ridiculous. At least a loan (albeit an expensive one) would be comparatively low risk.
As a United fan, I'll be annoyed if he became available for 25m. I watched every game he played for us, and he wasn't always slacking, like his scoring record would suggest. If anything, I think the United team let him down with the way we played.
I'm almost sure that he'll be scoring again at a team like Chelsea.

turdpower
June 3rd, 2015, 1:22 PM
http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/wags/nasty-lies-claimed-man-citys-vincent-kompany-affair-pablo-zabaletas-wife/

Ok Beebs.

BBF
June 3rd, 2015, 1:37 PM
I just heard it at work. It probably came from that reddit link to be fair.

turdpower
June 3rd, 2015, 1:59 PM
As a United fan, I'll be annoyed if he became available for 25m. I watched every game he played for us, and he wasn't always slacking, like his scoring record would suggest. If anything, I think the United team let him down with the way we played.
I'm almost sure that he'll be scoring again at a team like Chelsea.

Really? He constantly didn't score when he was presented with genuine chances. He looked genuinely awful some games.

The injury he has had has sadly reduced him to a shadow of his former self.

MMH
June 3rd, 2015, 3:32 PM
Falcao is finished, he was finished last summer too. You dont get over the knee problems he has had and remain the same player.

RuneEdge
June 3rd, 2015, 4:16 PM
Really? He constantly didn't score when he was presented with genuine chances. He looked genuinely awful some games.

The injury he has had has sadly reduced him to a shadow of his former self.

But then Van Persie missed the same kind of chances in many games too. Just like many others who also missed chances, but people remembered Falcao's because of the huge expectation of him. It's one of those things where I couldn't see what Falcao was doing wrong (for the most part), but people fixated on how many goals he's scored. He'd make good runs and get into positions for easy goals, but his team mates would make the wrong pass. He then started dropping deep to get on the ball because he wouldn't receive it where he wanted to. If you looked back at some of our goals, there were a fair few that involved Falcao making key passes. The guy is a goal poacher, who had 5 assists to his name in the last 5-6 years, and he managed 4 assists for us this season alone. And then there's also the fact that even though he only scored 4 goals for us in over 25 games, he managed to score 3 during one of the international breaks midway through the same season.

If we couldn't learn to use him properly then no amount of money would've made sense for him, so that doesn't bother me too much. But I'm worried that Chelsea could buy him for a cut price fee here and I reckon he still has it in him to play like the 44m player we thought we were getting.

turdpower
June 3rd, 2015, 4:30 PM
Against Bahrain and Kuwait. Great. Sign him up.

Simon
June 3rd, 2015, 4:44 PM
Falcao just didn't look like a top-end footballer last season. A lot of games I saw he looked absolutely lost. Maybe it was a really bad case of lost confidence but his touch was awful and by the end he wasn't even missing chances, he wasn't finding himself in positions to miss.

Speaking of tawdry rumours, anyone know what Luke Moore was referring to on this week's Ramble about something between Allardyce and Ravel Morrison? Scoured Twitter for info with no joy.

MikeHunt
June 3rd, 2015, 4:48 PM
he shagged him.

RuneEdge
June 3rd, 2015, 5:10 PM
Against Bahrain and Kuwait. Great. Sign him up.

The quality of opposition wasn't the problem. He couldn't score against anyone at times.

turdpower
June 3rd, 2015, 5:13 PM
Exactly.

RuneEdge
June 3rd, 2015, 5:20 PM
Whilst playing for us, that is.

Bad Collin
June 4th, 2015, 4:52 AM
Milner has signed, apaz he turned down a 165,000 a week offer from City. Huge signing for us, he'll fit in really well.

Romford Pele
June 4th, 2015, 5:25 AM
Good signing for Liverpool. Hopefully Brenda doesnt abuse his versatility too much.

Beefy
June 4th, 2015, 5:32 AM
Great signing. I thought someone else might nip in there and take him.

Romford Pele
June 4th, 2015, 7:39 AM
I think we were interested, but he probably wasnt going to get first team football like he will at Liverpool.

RuneEdge
June 4th, 2015, 7:58 AM
If the stories were true, it didn't make sense to go and play alongside John Terry.

son_of_foley
June 4th, 2015, 8:32 AM
I heard lads that appaz it wasn't company at all but was Gary J

The Rosk
June 4th, 2015, 9:44 AM
Just heard that a few Prem clubs are interested in signing the duo of Fanny and The Rosk after their stunning performances last night in front of literally dozens of passersby. Rumours have risen following Fanny's consistently delicate first touches and Rosk's ruthless finishing, not to mention the first ever completely Rajah Forums Goal of all time (Fanny assist/Rosk goal).

There are no current rumours about Glen who remains alongside Jermaine Jenas on the free transfer list.

_me
June 4th, 2015, 9:52 AM
Milner has signed, apaz he turned down a 165,000 a week offer from City. Huge signing for us, he'll fit in really well.
I always liked Milner but this makes me like him even more. Walk away from a huge check b/c to make sure he actually plays. Too many just care about getting the biggest paycheck.

The Rosk
June 4th, 2015, 10:27 AM
James Milner is my favourite footballer in the modern era. I love everything about him.

RuneEdge
June 4th, 2015, 11:25 AM
Probably the most under appreciated player in the league. Don't know why he hadn't already been tied down. Yet they some how got the declining Yaya to stay (probably remembered his birthday cake this time)

Chris Scott
June 4th, 2015, 11:58 AM
Good signing for Liverpool. Hopefully Brenda doesnt abuse his versatility too much.

I hope he doesn't, we need to play center mid with Henderson and Can. I'm really made up he came to us and is a perfect singing for us, I'd also on the day he officially signs make him captain too.

Gary J
June 4th, 2015, 2:19 PM
Doubt Milner gets much playing time in central midfield he'll be shunted out to the right to fill the wingback role that Sterling / Markovic were told to occupy.

Saying that Emre Can might still be stuck in central defence so there might be a place in central midfield.

I did find myself laughing at the liverpool fans all excited on twitter drooling over their midfield creativity. It's the same as laat seasons midfield apart from Milner replacing Gerrard who was their top scorer with 9 and one of them was a charitable goal from Stoke in his farewell game. No doubt it will get pointed out Sturridge will be back and i will just say that what Arsenal fans said about Van Persie every season. He's injury prone get used to being without him and get someone in.

Some more defenders too if Skrtel is your best defender then you have problems and it seems he might want to leave.

Chris Scott
June 4th, 2015, 4:53 PM
Rodgers has said Ibe is ready to step into the team and more than likely play right wing back. For me Milner has to and think he will play centre mid with Henderson and Can.

Romford Pele
June 5th, 2015, 6:12 AM
Sterling to United?

Rip
June 5th, 2015, 6:18 AM
Milner will be handed the Gerrard role - work your arse off all over the bloody place carrying the rest of the side. He'll flourish in the responsibility and England will benefit.

son_of_foley
June 5th, 2015, 7:32 AM
Rodgers has said Ibe is ready to step into the team and more than likely play right wing back. For me Milner has to and think he will play centre mid with Henderson and Can.

I think IBE is a bit of a waste at wing back. Personal opinion.

I don't think he has the players to play that style so I'm not sure why he would stick with it.

RFF Champ
June 5th, 2015, 7:34 AM
Get Ibe high up the pitch, putting defenders on their ass. Wingback would hold him back.

Bad Collin
June 5th, 2015, 7:54 AM
I think IBE is a bit of a waste at wing back. Personal opinion.

I don't think he has the players to play that style so I'm not sure why he would stick with it.

Because our centre backs are gash so we need to play three of them.

son_of_foley
June 5th, 2015, 8:15 AM
Because our centre backs are gash so we need to play three of them.

TBF you guys did have a shitload of clean sheets this year but I dunno seems a bit retarded

Bad Collin
June 5th, 2015, 8:24 AM
Yeah, three CB's worked for a while but seemed to get found out.

Simon
June 5th, 2015, 8:55 AM
The problem IMO is that Rodgers seems insistent on putting the formation first despite clearly not having the personnel for it. Liverpool's regular line-up last season had at least three players out of position in Can at centre back, Sterling up front and then some other poor sap at right wing back. I suppose the counter to this point is that Van Gaal did similar at United with greater success, but he had better players to work with and most of his changes made some sort of sense - Ashley Young's range of qualities are far more suited to playing wing back than Sterling is, for example.

_me
June 5th, 2015, 9:15 AM
I thought Rodgers playing 3-4-3 last year was out of necessity, not a new master plan. It seems likely he will at least try go back to his normal 4-2-3-1 to start.

Bad Collin
June 5th, 2015, 11:13 AM
I think so:

Mignolet

New RB Skrtel Sahko Moreno

Henderson Can

Lallana Milner Coutinho

Sturridge

Solid team missing a couple of really top quality players, let's see who we can bring in.

son_of_foley
June 5th, 2015, 11:14 AM
The problem IMO is that Rodgers seems insistent on putting the formation first despite clearly not having the personnel for it. Liverpool's regular line-up last season had at least three players out of position in Can at centre back, Sterling up front and then some other poor sap at right wing back. I suppose the counter to this point is that Van Gaal did similar at United with greater success, but he had better players to work with and most of his changes made some sort of sense - Ashley Young's range of qualities are far more suited to playing wing back than Sterling is, for example.

I really dont think there's much performance difference between united and liverpool this year.

8 points or something? Performances were both quite spotty.

Weirdly for BR the formation that should have fit didn't work. It was sad to see the lack of threat they had going forward. So pedestrian.

Simon
June 5th, 2015, 11:20 AM
Why should that formation have worked? As BC has pointed out it's not missing much to make it a good team, but last year they didn't have the players for it which meant they were very weak in certain areas (Can was a bomb scare at wing back for example) and, just as importantly, they weren't using their best players in their right positions. With Sturridge out, Sterling was Liverpool's major attacking threat, but he's wasted as a striker. Can was actually decent as a centre back IMO but again he would have been better in centre mid. The sidelining of Johnson was weird too - not that he was great or anything, but he was the only player they had with any history of playing as a wing back.

RFF Champ
June 5th, 2015, 11:36 AM
I really dont think there's much performance difference between united and liverpool this year.

8 points or something? Performances were both quite spotty.

Weirdly for BR the formation that should have fit didn't work. It was sad to see the lack of threat they had going forward. So pedestrian.

Man United put in some dominating performances in the second half of the season. Not necessarily eye-catching but ones where they controlled the game and patiently went about winning it. When they came to St. James they looked like a quality team that wasn't going to be beaten. They were in a tidy run of form at that time too.

I don't think Liverpool every really reached that consistency or comfort as a team.

_me
June 5th, 2015, 12:03 PM
Man United put in some dominating performances in the second half of the season. Not necessarily eye-catching but ones where they controlled the game and patiently went about winning it. When they came to St. James they looked like a quality team that wasn't going to be beaten. They were in a tidy run of form at that time too.

I don't think Liverpool every really reached that consistency or comfort as a team.
didn't Liverpool have a run of like 10 straight wins from Jan to Mar?

EDIT: There were two draws and 10 wins.

I didn't realize they only got 8 out the last 27 points. They really could have gotten 4th with even an average finish.